Does Lupron Depot need to be refrigerated?
Lupron Depot is injected by a healthcare provider to treat prostate cancer. Before reconstitution, Lupron Depot can be stored in its original container at room temperature (77°F [25°C], with a range between 59°F to 86°F [15°C to 30°C]). Keep the carton away from heat and moisture. Once Lupron Depot is reconstituted, inject the suspension immediately. Discard if not used within two hours, because Lupron Depot does not contain a preservative.
Lupron Depot is a gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist hormone therapy used for the palliative treatment (to relieve pain and other symptoms) of advanced prostate cancer. Your doctor may recommend you use this medicine long-term.
Lupron Depot is incorporated in a specialized powder formulation and is only injected by your doctor. This medicine is prepared before injection with a liquid (diluent) that is supplied in the package. You will receive this injection at your doctor’s office, a clinic or hospital.
Lupron Depot is injected into a muscle of your upper arm, upper thigh or buttocks either once every month, or once every 3, 4 or 6 months for the treatment of prostate cancer. Depot formulations continuously release medicine into your body over a certain period of time.
Prior to administration of Lupron, healthcare providers should review the illustrated directions for reconstitution and use here.
This is not all the information you need to know about Lupron Depot for safe and effective use. Review the full Lupron Depot information here, and discuss this and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Lupron Depot (leuprolide acetate for depot suspension). AbbVie Inc. North Chicago, Ill. Revised March 2019. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020 at https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/lupronuro_pi.pdf
Related medical questions
- How long should you take Lupron for prostate cancer?
- How do you inject Lupron Depot for prostate cancer?
- Will I get my period while on Lupron?
- What does Lupron do for IVF?
- Are Lupron Depot and Eligard the same drug?
- Can you get pregnant on Lupron Depot?
- How does Lupron (leuprolide) work for prostate cancer?
- Is Firmagon (degarelix) the same as Lupron?
- Is Supprelin LA the same as Lupron?
- Is Lupron Depot a chemotherapy treatment?