Is Supprelin LA the same as Lupron?
Supprelin LA is not the same as Lupron Depot-Ped, because Supprelin LA contains the active drug histrelin acetate, while Lupron Depot-Ped contains the active drug leuprolide acetate. But they are similar because both Supprelin LA and Lupron Depot-Ped belong to the class of medicines called gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists (GRHA) and both are approved to treat central precocious puberty (CPP) in children aged 2 years and older.
How do Supprelin LA and Lupron Depot-Ped compare?
Although they have not been compared directly in clinical studies, separate studies have found them both to be effective for CPP. There are also differences in the way they are administered. Supprelin LA is available as a small implant that is placed under the skin of the upper arm by a healthcare provider, and it lasts for 12 months. Lupron Depot-Ped is given by intramuscular injection into the buttock, thigh, or deltoid muscle once a month so must be given 12 times a year. Both are given until your child reaches a healthy age for puberty to begin.
Are there differences in side effects between Supprelin LA and Lupron Depot-Ped?
Supprelin LA and Lupron Depot-Ped are both GRHAs which means they have similar side effects, and may cause:
- Reactions at the implant or injection site, which may cause redness, pain, swelling, and bruising
- An initial worsening of CPP symptoms, such as light vaginal bleeding or breast enlargement in girls, but this resolves within the first 4 weeks
- A decrease in testicle size
- Flushing, or a feeling of warmth
- A headache.
What costs more? Supprelin LA or Lupron Depot-Ped?
Supprelin LA costs more than Lupron Depot-Ped for cash-paying customers, but the actual price you’ll pay for either drug depends on your insurance plan, your location, what copay assistance programs are offered, and the medical office where you receive treatment.
According to the Drugs.com price guide which is based on using the Drugs.com discount card accepted at most U.S. pharmacies, cash-paying customers can expect to pay around $1,872.29 for one 7.5mg Lupron Depot-Ped IM kit. This means a 12 month supply of Lupron Depot-Ped costs $22,467. One Supprelin LA implant lasts for 12 months and costs $44,973.
How does Supprelin LA work compared to Lupron Depot-Ped?
Both Lupron Depot-Ped and Supprelin LA work similarly and that is by stimulating GnRH receptors so much that they desensitize the receptor and down-regulate the secretion of LH and FSH and subsequently estrogen and/or testosterone. Because they work in this way, initially Lupron and Supprelin produce a transient increase in hormone levels, which may be seen as an increase in the signs of puberty, but continued stimulation results in a profound decrease in hormone levels.
What is Supprelin LA?
Supprelin LA is a small flexible implant, 1.3 inches (3.5cm) long that is implanted just under the skin of the upper arm and designed to continuously release histrelin acetate, a hormone that helps stop the production of estrogen, testosterone, and other sex hormones. Supprelin LA may be used to treat children with central precocious puberty (CPP). One full year of medication is contained in one implant.
The entire procedure can be done in a doctor’s office using a local anesthetic.
What is Lupron Depot-Ped?
Lupron Depot-Ped contains leuprolide acetate. Other forms of Lupron Depot are approved to treat advanced prostate cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. Lupron Depot-Ped is given as an intramuscular (IM) injection into the muscle in the upper arm, upper thigh, or buttocks once every month, by a healthcare provider.
- Supprelin LA (histrelin acetate) Updated 12/2019 Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/supprelin-la.html
- What to expect with SUPPRELIN® LA SuprelinLA.com https://www.supprelinla.com/patients/insertion-and-after-care/
- Lupron Depot (leuprolide acetate) https://www.drugs.com/pro/lupron-depot.html
Related medical questions
- How long should you take Lupron for prostate cancer?
- How does Lupron (leuprolide) work for prostate cancer?
- How do you inject Lupron Depot for prostate cancer?
- Does Lupron Depot need to be refrigerated?
- What does Lupron do for IVF?
- Will I get my period while on Lupron?
- Are Lupron Depot and Eligard the same drug?
- Can you get pregnant on Lupron Depot?
- Is Firmagon (degarelix) the same as Lupron?
- How quickly does Supprelin LA work?