User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Female Infertility 1 reviews 23 medications

5.9
Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 1 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Leuprolide reviews 172 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Leuprolide

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts and endometriosis at 18 years old (very early to find). I've suffered 4 years of this before I got diagnosed until eventually I was rushed to the hospital from the pain. My only option was lupron depot shot, I got the 11mg one. Worst decision of my life. I am thankful for having 100% coverage because it would've been a waste of money. I feel sad, depressed, anxious, its awful. I already have depression and anxiety. I feel like I'm going through withdrawals, I get heat flashes, the pills they give, what they call norlutate, didn't help the symptoms, I've noticed they made it worse, I had headaches every single day. I wouldn't recommend this shot. I'm still having period pain and its been 3 month"

Montana.T September 18, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Was prescribed Lupron after endo surgery since not all growths could be removed. I was very scared to be taking it after I read about it (I cried in doctor's office when getting the injection). But I ended up loving it. It stopped my periods and the pain, so my anemia was under control and I had so much energy! As for side effects, there was insomnia (but I was not tired from it, so it was OK) and hot flashes started after about two months - but that was nothing compared to the relief. I only got one 3-month shot, but the positive effects lasted for quite a bit. I hope to get another 3-6 months soon. I know there are risks to this, and everyone reacts differently, so I could not advise anyone to take it or not, but for me it was wonderful."

memememe! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I AM 87 AND HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH LUPRON FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS. I JUST HAD A CHECKUP AND MY PSA LEVEL WAS .430, MY LAST SHOT WAS IN APRIL. It is hard to tell when i will have another shot, i will check in with my doctor in four months, So far the only side effect is the hot flushing. It is fairly regular, last about 45 seconds or so and is a bit annoying, but considering it is keeping the cancer at bay i can live with it,"

tuppy August 30, 2016

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "I started Lupron when my daughter was 6 going on 7 years due to under arm odor, breast buds, pubic hair and fear of her getting her period at an early age. The treatment did not reverse the budding of the breast or pubic, her pubic hair growth only increased, neither am I certain if it preventing her from getting her period sooner. I am certain that it stunted your growth, which is a common side effect. About 3 months ago her Dr , informed me that though he prescribed this treatment for her CPP and it is covered by the insurance, the insurance almost never covers the growth hormone he mentioned would be needed for her to regain the height she lost, he had never mentioned this before. Beware of issues like this"

cicelyparada (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I have been on lupron for 3 years. I began the shot in 2013 with a 11 cm fibroid too large for surgery at time. I am now in my late 50's and still testing positive on hormon tests. another words if I go off lupron I a assuming the fibroid will grow again and I will begin again to menstruated and have heavy bleed and large clots. my headaches became much less and only have hotflashes towards the end of my 3 month shot. I get shots quarterly. my bone density was just shy from normal with no concerns for many years. I take calcium, D3 and K2 (MK7-helps make calcium go to bone not soft tissue like calcification and bone spurs ). for me is has been the best thing in my life. I can't imagine why people have bad results. oh and no weight gain."

I love lupron August 19, 2016

Lupron Depot 3.75 mg (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Absolutely horrible drug. Complete poison. I was given this five years ago for endometriosis. Did absolutely nothing for it, but u had all the horrible side effects. Five years later I'm still dealing with side effects of this drug. Bone loss, bone pain (to the point of just waking down the street sometimes it feels like my legs are going to break. My teeth are literally just shattering eating bread. My dentist looked at my records then said wet need to talk. This is what he said. "Five years ago you didn't have anything wrong with your front teeth at all. You see this (pointing to the exrays) this is all bone loss. This doesn't just happen, it can't. This takes years and year and years to happen." DON'T TAKE IT!!!"

Jennysickofevilmeds August 6, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Diagnosed Stage 4 Prostate cancer-- July 2012--PSA=8 Radical Prostatectomy-- October 2012--PSA=0.6 Forty days radiation--April 2013---PSA=0.1 PSA=0.3---Jan 2015 PSA=1.0---March 2015 First Lupron Injection---April 2015--PSA=0.1 Second Lupron Injection--Oct 2015---PSA=0.1 Third Lupron Injection---April 2016---PSA=0.1 Fourth Lupron Injection---Oct. 2016--PSA=??? Lupron Injections accompanied by daily tablets of Bicalutamide. Side Effects: Penis shrinkage(afraid it will soon disappear), libido absent, hot flashes, some insomnia, increased neuropathy, some itching, inflammation in hands, extreme fatigue. All side effects manageable--beats being dead-- and has allowed me time to tie up loose ends and who knows--I may have years ahead!"

Nishpata August 5, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I had a fibroid that had grown into my uterine cavity and it caused heavy bleeding, large blood clots, and discomfort. I had surgery scheduled in June of 2016 and was given a Lupron injection in March of 2016 to shrink the fibroid to make surgery easier. I had read terrible reviews and was scared of the side effects. Overall my experience was very positive, I had minor side effects such as hot flashes and migraines. I am in my mid-twenties and very active, which I believe helped. No weight gain or hair loss. I felt great throughout the 3 months and actually felt more mentally and hormonally balanced then ever before...I'm actually kind of upset it has worn off! Don't be afraid of this drug, it worked wonders for me!"

mrm26 August 2, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "8 months into Lupron plus Casodex and I am refusing the next 3 month shot. PSA went from 5.7 to .2 to .1 and am just finishing up 9 weeks of radiation. GL scores were mostly 9's but no metastatic found. To say a less common side effect is loss of libido is just plain BS. About a month after the first shot I was done with sex, doc said once the testosterone is gone that's normal. Little aches and pains linger, balls shrink, lost all hair under my arms and slow growing elsewhere. Sometimes seem in a fog mentally. Hot flashes like you wouldn't believe till they offered me other meds, which help somewhat, Put on 5 lbs of blubber below the belly. Lack of energy as well. It works but I think DRs. keep you on it too long for Stage 1 or 2 cancers."

Len Pitts July 13, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Lupron did not work on me. I still had heavy periods and serve cramps. My fibroids grew and did shrink. I was very angry that the shot didn't work"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

Eligard (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I am the wife of a man currently taking Eligard. I have to say it has worked to keep the prostate cancer from spreading. Which is absolutely wonderful. However it has caused a lot of other problems which has effected both of us. He has absolutely no sexual desire, he has developed which appears to be breast, his penis has become inverted and his testicles have decreased in size. His muscle mass has decreased as well and the weight gain is mostly in his belly. I can only hope that he will regain his man hood if and when he is taken off this medication."

:/ (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I would like to address women who already struggle with depression, insomnia, or mood disorders, like myself. If you're already bad off don't do this to yourself, it might be the final "push". I got the 3month shot (+add-back) and it made me suicidal. My moods went from extreme anger to sobbing, insomnia, HOT FLASHES, and my left arm kept going numb in daily activities! This went on for a month, at 2 months I leveled out. Not far into the 3'rd month the hot flashes came back, cold sweats (felt like drug withdrawal), and my pain was back! I went to my Ob/gyn 1 week early because of this to find I had grown 11 new painful cysts! It didn't even work, and to stop it is also unpleasant (withdrawals). Worst med decision I ever made! HELL!"

Seelenlos (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Been on this drug 15 months No libido at all day sweats night sweats and hot flashes irritability and erratic memory episodes PSA from 30 to .01 after radiation and continues today"

Tom 1 June 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with endometriosis during an appendectomy, but due to cluster headaches hormones were contraindicated. Eventually Lupron was advised. My mom, who NEVER had any menstrual cramps, told me horror stories and I reacted as usual and agreed to the Lupron injections, and I have lived to regret it. Like so many others, I had severe menopausal symptoms, mood swings that made my fiance think I was bipolar, and attempted suicide twice in a 3 month period, which is very unlike me. It caused weight gain, which I'd never had, and threw me into early menopause at the age of 46, 8 years after treatment. Now I'm suffering from acute hypertension and I'm at risk for a stroke, which can't be attributed to anything else. But hey, no cramps!"

bitchgoddess June 11, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "My first 3 weeks on Lupron were miserable. Painful, the heaviest period I've ever had, and just overall regretting my decision. It's now been about 2 months and I'm feeling amazing! Hot flashes and forgetfulness, yes. But the pain is almost completely gone. My pain had me bedridden some days and now my worst days just require a heating pad. I can't believe the turn around."

KCMO15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "My dad had 1 shot of Lupron at age of 80 for elevated prostate cancer. He lost control of his muscles, was unable to walk and accelerated his dementia. My dad passed away 10 months after the shot."

Anonymous May 25, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was given 7 monthly injections of Lupron, given to me at my PCP's office each month. This was done for the fibroids I had and for the fact that I was on a plan to have an entire hysterectomy at the end of that 7 months. I bled very little really, but overall thats about the best thing I can say about that drug After every injection I was an emotional basketcase before I could even get back to my car from the doctors office--emotional to the hilt. I'd go home and then...become lost in my own surroundings in my own home. I would not recommend anyone who's planning on having a hysterectomy to use this 'pre-surgery' drug. Ever. I mean, its hard enough to have to get a hysterectomy to begin with, then make it harder on yourself?"

Ms. No-Research (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "This is pure poison, I have very bad side effects from this poison and the doctor said he can do nothing, the physical and mental pain is so bad , hot flashes, very high blood pressure, head aches every day, pain urinating, joint pain, mental confusion , brain fog, memory loss, total itchy all over, sleeplessness , very bad fatigued, and a lot more, my doctor never told me anything about this poison just injected my with a 6 month supply, at 6,000.00."

albert owens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Received 3-month shot two weeks ago to stop heavy menstrual bleeding in preparation for a hysterectomy next month. My period started and the bleeding is just as extreme as usual. No relief in blood or pain with this drug. Have experience hot flashes (minor), headaches (minor), night sweats, nausea (moderate), and have pain in upper right back area. Will be seeing doctor later this week to get checked on. I know it's early in the process, but I'm disappointed. I took it knowing about the side effects, but was willing to go along with them to get my bleeding under control and to build up my iron stores."

Anon007 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "HORRIBLE side effects and it was not worth it because it was something that didn't even cure me or made me feel any better."

Patricakes17 April 17, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I've only had one dose of Lupron; before going on it I did my research. One side effect is HORRIBLE insomnia (which I have). I know not every single change in my body can be blamed on the Lupron. I have Endometriosis and the Lupron basically puts you in a state of menopause. Headaches, insomnia, sweats, mood swings were very bad the first couple of weeks; now my stomach hurts! So I think I can pick and choose what the medicine is responsible for and the state of chemical menopause is doing to me."

Frisbee2004 April 14, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I want to share my experience with this drug because I truly believe it's of utter importance. My first BC was Depo PROVERA. I bled right through this, and yes it's common for the first year, also lighter periods. But mine never went away, then brown bleeding. I was switched to the implant, for other reasons, and the same problem still occurred. Then I was put on BC pills to control the bleeding process. All in all, I was backing up my uterine wall with more blood every time I had a period. Depo Lupron was injected on Jan 18 I bled out all my old blood in a week. I have not had a period or brown bleeding since. My last shot was given March 18. So far, 0 breakthrough bleeding. I love Depo Lupron"

KC813 April 3, 2016

For Endometriosis: "I have severe PMDD and have experienced debilitating symptoms directly associated to my cycle for the last 15 years, with the last 5 being to the extreme. The pain I experience for two weeks out of the month was unbearable and the rage uncontrollable. Finally, I found a gynecologist who specializes in PMDD and she suggested we give this shot a try for 1 month. I'm getting ready to head into my second month. For the first time in 5 years, I went through this whole month with absolutely no down time, no rage, no crying, no shame, no aplogies. I stayed my true self the whole month. This is a major improvement. I had some very mild anxiety, joint pains, lower back pain, stomach cramping. I'm so relieved that I found a way to get my life back."

ChristineME624 April 3, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Nov. 2012 I had a double lung transplant. July 2014 I was told I had prostate cancer (this after several PSA's that never dropped below 4. My last was in the high thirties and I had had 3 biopsies). Had a radical surgery in November which included nerve scraping and removal of 11 lymph nodes. Post surgery I had no radiation but did have the long term Lupron injections twice. I was cancer free for a year and now it is back. Started Lupron again and the side effects are already out in full force (after 4 days). Because of my compromised immune system and the medications I must take for life and kidney issues as a result of the lung transplant I worry that the Lupron will not work. What would be an alternative treatment?"

WHEEZERWILL (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with endometriosis and polycistic ovaries when I was just 16 years old. I'm now 22 and I've gone though 9 birth control pills and 9 different gynos. I had a laporoscip surgery when I was 17, which removed scar tissue and large cysts from my ovaries. After the surgery I was on birth control (seasonique which is wonderful for endometriosis) and up until a year ago I haven't had many issues with pains. I started to get the pains again, along with bleeding for 3 months on birth control, so I went ahead with Lupron. After reading up on it, I was hesitant, but moved forward. It stopped the bleeding, but the pain is still there and now my joints ache every day and also depression and suicidal thoughts are always there. Do not do it"

cakeandbacon March 2, 2016