User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Female Infertility 1 reviews 23 medications

Endometriosis 88 reviews 160 medications

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 1 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Leuprolide reviews 164 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Leuprolide

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "8 months into Lupron plus Casodex and I am refusing the next 3 month shot. PSA went from 5.7 to .2 to .1 and am just finishing up 9 weeks of radiation. GL scores were mostly 9's but no metastatic found. To say a less common side effect is loss of libido is just plain BS. About a month after the first shot I was done with sex, doc said once the testosterone is gone that's normal. Little aches and pains linger, balls shrink, lost all hair under my arms and slow growing elsewhere. Sometimes seem in a fog mentally. Hot flashes like you wouldn't believe till they offered me other meds, which help somewhat, Put on 5 lbs of blubber below the belly. Lack of energy as well. It works but I think DRs. keep you on it too long for Stage 1 or 2 cancers."

Len Pitts July 13, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Lupron did not work on me. I still had heavy periods and serve cramps. My fibroids grew and did shrink. I was very angry that the shot didn't work"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

Eligard (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I am the wife of a man currently taking Eligard. I have to say it has worked to keep the prostate cancer from spreading. Which is absolutely wonderful. However it has caused a lot of other problems which has effected both of us. He has absolutely no sexual desire, he has developed which appears to be breast, his penis has become inverted and his testicles have decreased in size. His muscle mass has decreased as well and the weight gain is mostly in his belly. I can only hope that he will regain his man hood if and when he is taken off this medication."

:/ (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I would like to address women who already struggle with depression, insomnia, or mood disorders, like myself. If you're already bad off don't do this to yourself, it might be the final "push". I got the 3month shot (+add-back) and it made me suicidal. My moods went from extreme anger to sobbing, insomnia, HOT FLASHES, and my left arm kept going numb in daily activities! This went on for a month, at 2 months I leveled out. Not far into the 3'rd month the hot flashes came back, cold sweats (felt like drug withdrawal), and my pain was back! I went to my Ob/gyn 1 week early because of this to find I had grown 11 new painful cysts! It didn't even work, and to stop it is also unpleasant (withdrawals). Worst med decision I ever made! HELL!"

Seelenlos (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Been on this drug 15 months No libido at all day sweats night sweats and hot flashes irritability and erratic memory episodes PSA from 30 to .01 after radiation and continues today"

Tom 1 June 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with endometriosis during an appendectomy, but due to cluster headaches hormones were contraindicated. Eventually Lupron was advised. My mom, who NEVER had any menstrual cramps, told me horror stories and I reacted as usual and agreed to the Lupron injections, and I have lived to regret it. Like so many others, I had severe menopausal symptoms, mood swings that made my fiance think I was bipolar, and attempted suicide twice in a 3 month period, which is very unlike me. It caused weight gain, which I'd never had, and threw me into early menopause at the age of 46, 8 years after treatment. Now I'm suffering from acute hypertension and I'm at risk for a stroke, which can't be attributed to anything else. But hey, no cramps!"

bitchgoddess June 11, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "My first 3 weeks on Lupron were miserable. Painful, the heaviest period I've ever had, and just overall regretting my decision. It's now been about 2 months and I'm feeling amazing! Hot flashes and forgetfulness, yes. But the pain is almost completely gone. My pain had me bedridden some days and now my worst days just require a heating pad. I can't believe the turn around."

KCMO15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "My dad had 1 shot of Lupron at age of 80 for elevated prostate cancer. He lost control of his muscles, was unable to walk and accelerated his dementia. My dad passed away 10 months after the shot."

Anonymous May 25, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was given 7 monthly injections of Lupron, given to me at my PCP's office each month. This was done for the fibroids I had and for the fact that I was on a plan to have an entire hysterectomy at the end of that 7 months. I bled very little really, but overall thats about the best thing I can say about that drug After every injection I was an emotional basketcase before I could even get back to my car from the doctors office--emotional to the hilt. I'd go home and then...become lost in my own surroundings in my own home. I would not recommend anyone who's planning on having a hysterectomy to use this 'pre-surgery' drug. Ever. I mean, its hard enough to have to get a hysterectomy to begin with, then make it harder on yourself?"

Ms. No-Research (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "This is pure poison, I have very bad side effects from this poison and the doctor said he can do nothing, the physical and mental pain is so bad , hot flashes, very high blood pressure, head aches every day, pain urinating, joint pain, mental confusion , brain fog, memory loss, total itchy all over, sleeplessness , very bad fatigued, and a lot more, my doctor never told me anything about this poison just injected my with a 6 month supply, at 6,000.00."

albert owens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Received 3-month shot two weeks ago to stop heavy menstrual bleeding in preparation for a hysterectomy next month. My period started and the bleeding is just as extreme as usual. No relief in blood or pain with this drug. Have experience hot flashes (minor), headaches (minor), night sweats, nausea (moderate), and have pain in upper right back area. Will be seeing doctor later this week to get checked on. I know it's early in the process, but I'm disappointed. I took it knowing about the side effects, but was willing to go along with them to get my bleeding under control and to build up my iron stores."

Anon007 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "HORRIBLE side effects and it was not worth it because it was something that didn't even cure me or made me feel any better."

Patricakes17 April 17, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I've only had one dose of Lupron; before going on it I did my research. One side effect is HORRIBLE insomnia (which I have). I know not every single change in my body can be blamed on the Lupron. I have Endometriosis and the Lupron basically puts you in a state of menopause. Headaches, insomnia, sweats, mood swings were very bad the first couple of weeks; now my stomach hurts! So I think I can pick and choose what the medicine is responsible for and the state of chemical menopause is doing to me."

Frisbee2004 April 14, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I want to share my experience with this drug because I truly believe it's of utter importance. My first BC was Depo PROVERA. I bled right through this, and yes it's common for the first year, also lighter periods. But mine never went away, then brown bleeding. I was switched to the implant, for other reasons, and the same problem still occurred. Then I was put on BC pills to control the bleeding process. All in all, I was backing up my uterine wall with more blood every time I had a period. Depo Lupron was injected on Jan 18 I bled out all my old blood in a week. I have not had a period or brown bleeding since. My last shot was given March 18. So far, 0 breakthrough bleeding. I love Depo Lupron"

KC813 April 3, 2016

For Endometriosis: "I have severe PMDD and have experienced debilitating symptoms directly associated to my cycle for the last 15 years, with the last 5 being to the extreme. The pain I experience for two weeks out of the month was unbearable and the rage uncontrollable. Finally, I found a gynecologist who specializes in PMDD and she suggested we give this shot a try for 1 month. I'm getting ready to head into my second month. For the first time in 5 years, I went through this whole month with absolutely no down time, no rage, no crying, no shame, no aplogies. I stayed my true self the whole month. This is a major improvement. I had some very mild anxiety, joint pains, lower back pain, stomach cramping. I'm so relieved that I found a way to get my life back."

ChristineME624 April 3, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Nov. 2012 I had a double lung transplant. July 2014 I was told I had prostate cancer (this after several PSA's that never dropped below 4. My last was in the high thirties and I had had 3 biopsies). Had a radical surgery in November which included nerve scraping and removal of 11 lymph nodes. Post surgery I had no radiation but did have the long term Lupron injections twice. I was cancer free for a year and now it is back. Started Lupron again and the side effects are already out in full force (after 4 days). Because of my compromised immune system and the medications I must take for life and kidney issues as a result of the lung transplant I worry that the Lupron will not work. What would be an alternative treatment?"

WHEEZERWILL (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with endometriosis and polycistic ovaries when I was just 16 years old. I'm now 22 and I've gone though 9 birth control pills and 9 different gynos. I had a laporoscip surgery when I was 17, which removed scar tissue and large cysts from my ovaries. After the surgery I was on birth control (seasonique which is wonderful for endometriosis) and up until a year ago I haven't had many issues with pains. I started to get the pains again, along with bleeding for 3 months on birth control, so I went ahead with Lupron. After reading up on it, I was hesitant, but moved forward. It stopped the bleeding, but the pain is still there and now my joints ache every day and also depression and suicidal thoughts are always there. Do not do it"

cakeandbacon March 2, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I took it 8 years ago for fibroids, cysts, and severe endometriosis. I was on Lupron for a year after trying other options. I had hot flashes and joint pain, plus a lot of the other symptoms mentions. Calcium and Vit D helped with joint pain. The symptoms remained consistent while I was on the Lupron, however even with the side effects, the year that I was on Lupron was the best I have ever felt. FINALLY no more debilitating pain. I got pregnant after the 6 month weening off period and had two kids. If endo is an inconvenience for you, maybe not the best drug. If endo is ruining your life, some side effects and symptoms are worth getting your life back. I am on it again and grateful that there is something out there that gives me relief"

Trying again (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Desperate for relief after 2 surgeries within 3 months of each other, I was so hopeful about this medication. I ignored the reviews and got the shot (11.75 dosage administered every 3 months). I regret my choice so much. First, the expense! Even with insurance, my out of pocket was $1100. The mood swings were so bad that I became suicidal. I've gained 20 pounds that exercise and nutrition can't shed. The hot flashes were controlled by an OTC called Estroven. The pain did subside, but only for the 1st month after each shot (I got 2 shots total). Now, the pain is back and worse than ever and I'm only on month 5 of the treatment. Surgery # 3 scheduled in 2 weeks. This med is NOT worth the side effects."

Desperate and Disappointed February 20, 2016

Lupron Depot 11.25 mg (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I have advanced prostrate cancer and have found that when I stop or delay a 90-day injection, my PSA climbs. From June 2010 (PSA over 350) through Jan 2013 (PSA 9) my cancer was controlled. I suspended the shots for 18 months due to cost and my PSA climbed to 270. In 5 months, my PSA is at 4.2."

2-putt Gus (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "My daughter was diagnosed at 6 years old with Precocious Puberty. Pubic Hair, breast buds, underam hair. We did Lupron Injections until she was twelve. I am happy to say they seemd to work she is now 5'8 and somewhat healthy. She has some issues.. she has been on the line of pre-diabetic for years. She is some what overweight. she is about 208 lbs. She does has facial hair. and she has a thyroid issue and now she has recently been diagnosed lactose intolerance.. extreme lactose intolerance.. she only has 2 enzymes to break down lactose. She also has had to get on birth control to keep her period normal and her periods are very painful. I have to tell myself that what we are dealing with now is minor compared to how she may have developed with out it"

cheeseshelly (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "When I took this it was very painful. The shots messed up my muscles and my condition got so much worse after the 6 month period. I had to get surgery and lost my first organ. I'm not saying don't try it for endo but be wary when you do. You're supposed to have more intense symptoms in the first part but it is supposed to get better. Mine did not, it only got worse."

Sidney kay February 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. This med saved my life. Mimicked a hysterectomy. Now I know that removing the ovaries is the answer. Scheduled...."

Shannyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

Lupron Depot 3.75 mg (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "So my gyn started me on the lupron a little over a week ago. I have had some horrible mood swings, severe pain worse then when I began, swelling in my hands and feet and I started to bleed very heavily late last night. Has anyone else had these experiences? Did they get better over time? My biggest worry is I suffer from anxiety and depression prior to the injections. Things have been getting worse is this normal or should I be worried?"

enquiring mind February 9, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I had a laparoscopy done march 2015 and they determined stage 4 endemetriosis. Before then I had maybe 1 week out of a month without pain for over a year, it was horrible. My first injection was in September 2015. I had a laparotomy in October 2015, the doctor did an amazing job, removed all the scar tissue and cyst's. My second injection was December 2015 and the hot flashes are brutal. I am now on a low dose of estrogen to help with the hot flashes. It has helped but not fully. I highly recommend the injection if you want to be pain free, the hot flashes are brutal but way better then the pain."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2016