User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Female Infertility

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant

1 review 19 medications
Summary of Leuprolide reviews 6.1 237 reviews

Reviews for Leuprolide

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Only a few weeks in and I already hate this. I’m 19 and was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis. My doctor said the Lupron shot is my only option in regards for treatment, before a hysterectomy. I’ve been on birth control for 5 years prior for intense pain but it didn’t help at all. 2 weeks in, my bones hurt, I’m constantly hot and nauseous. Depression I feel is on its way. I can’t stop crying and I feel very sad about life. Which is unlike me, I’m a very positive person. My pain is also more intense than before. I feel very helpless because I don’t want to have a hysterectomy at 19 but I hate this medication already. I don’t know what else to do"

eab123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Awful side effects. Put me in menopause at 35. My hair is still thin 4 years later. Toxic stuff"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I had 8 tumors in my uterus and the doctors told me there was no way to remove them. They gave me 2 shots of lupron and I started losing my memory and the bleeding increased. I did a search for doctors that remove the tumors and I found one. He took out the tumors, I was able to keep my uterus and have had no problems since. I thank God everyday for this doctor! The only bad thing is thanks to the drug my memory is damaged for life."

rubyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "My experience was horrible. My Obgyn recommended lupron for my fibroids. I have 1 large one the size of grapefruit, 3 the size of tennis balls and many pea size. Surgery not an option. I get lupron shots 1 time a month for 6 months. I had 13 acne cysts in total on my face that I had to have sugerically removed (over time). I gained 30 pounds almost overnight and it took me 3 years of intense dieting to get this weight off. My body thought I was going thru menopause so I had the hot flashes as well. I would not do it again. I spent a fortune only to find out after 6 months and all of this that the tumors were the same size. Years later I am having health issues and wondering if related to lupron usage."

Ki June 30, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids: "I have been taking the Lupron shot for fibroids. I was bleeding so heavy I was wearing diapers could not wear pads anymore when I suffered my 6th stroke I told my doc look you are not putting me on any blood thinner suntil you fix the problem down there. The first shot I bled afterward for like 3 days. But not as heavy as I normally would. My next shot is in July 2018. The first time I took the shot I had mood swings hot flashes at night headache and sleeplessness. It takes you on a journey but my fibroids are shrinking tremendously. The newest side effect I discovered is swollen gums. No fun. Do what you can to preserve your smile while taking this drug or you can lose your teeth. I used to have a beautiful smile now that is gone. The only drawback I have."

Chelle June 27, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I am 25 and received 9 months of injections with Lupron for endometriosis and had a terrible experience with it. First was the symptom flare the first month which made my pain even worse and I missed 3 weeks of work out of 4 weeks. Then even with add back therapy, I had hot flashes, trouble sleeping, severe pain with sex, and bad acne. And it did nothing to help the pain I was having. I stopped this medication after 9 months and even now, one year after stopping, I have residual digestive issues and continued vulvodynia which started when I was on Lupron. Many doctors seem to use this drug as a first line treatment against Endo but it is brutal and is only a temporary treatment"

EC449 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I personally have endometriosis and have had laparoscopic surgery for treatment. I have been told by multiple doctors that adding hormones to your body to lessen your “pain” (in quotes because no birth control has proven to do so for my endometriosis) so I have taken no birth control since my surgery 10 years ago and it has gotten easier to deal with not worse! They also offered two other options to stop the pain hysterectomy/ ablation.. either way would be fine since endometriosis will and has eaten up my reproductive organs. After the laparoscopic surgery it did take me 5 months to heal internally, so if you do this option please prepare yourself for a much much much heavier and DIFFERENT period for a least the first two months. But after sex seemed easier with less pain and going to the bathroom (taking a bowl movement) while on and off my period was much easier. Hope my experience helps anyone that has or has been recently diagnosed."

Renee May 28, 2018

Lupron Depot-Gyn (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I am 54 years old. Obese and suffering from hypertension. Never had any gynaecological problem. From last 1.5 year my periods became irregular and prolonged. And extremely painful. Initially I thought its due to menopausal changes. My gynaecologist advised TVS (transvaginal ultrasound) and pelvis MRI and it was diagnosed for Endometriosis. I was advised course of 3 injections of the dose. I hope it works for me."

Optimist (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I just started the lupron shot and so far its helping but its also come along with hot flashes , dizzyness, prolonged QT heart interval (I already have the heart problem but it is amplifying it) body pain which is slowly going down, brain fog, insomnia, fatigue inability to breathe, and is making some of my connective tissue symptoms worse. I'm hoping at least some of these symptoms go away. If they do I will continue the monthly shots since the endo symptoms are getting better (headache, bowel issues, insane amount of bleeding every month and debilitating pain)."

Tripp (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Endometriosis: "Am a female, and its been just two months since my injection. I have missed my periods, and am having heat flashes ,mostly when I sleep, drinking a lot of water, am having back pain and joints pain. My tummy is big. My question is this, how long until my period come back? and how long until this symptoms go away?"

Shyrose (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

Lupron (leuprolide) for : "My husband was only 41 years old and diagnost with stage 4 prostate cancer PSA was 59 and Gleason 9 it was in 5 lymph nodes surgery was not a option He went through chemo and 45 rounds of radiation and have been on Lupron every 3 months for 5 years now ( he was given 2 years to live) I thank god every day for having him here with me but he isn’t the same man I’ve been with for the last 30 years. This drug is the only thing keeping the cancer from growing but it’s destroying him and our marriage. The physical side effects are joint pain , sweats all the time, muscle lose and strength and our sex life went from 5-6 times a week to 1-2 a month. Mentally he’s a mess and dealing with him is so hard . He went from have to much testosterone to none He’s overly jealous, crying easily, sensitive and just down right crazy sometimes and he was none of these things before."

Prostate cancer (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Within one week of starting depot lupron, I was struck with severe headaches and fatigue. Muscle and joint pain set in and sleep became impossible. I have had no relief from my endometriosis pain. Pelvic pain is daily and constant. Dull aches in my lower abdomen and sharp shooting pain through my colon. Even with add back therapy, I have had hot flashes and severe waves of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I wish I had never gotten it. This is the second time my doctor has put me on this "medication" with zero results or relief from my symptoms. I only feel worse. It has made me and my relationship suffer. It's not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Honestly I was so sick of having surgeries constantly and so my OB recommended me trying Lupron for my endometriosis - 1 shot once a month for 6 months and longer if i would like to. I was told I couldn't have any more babies. I had tried everything and nothing worked to have another. Got on lupron for my extreme pain from endo and for the first month I got a horrible period like period then after that I didn't have a period. When I got off it I was prego and didn't even know. I got my rainbow miracle baby thanks Lupron and my endo hasn't returned since then thank goodness. Yes hot flashes, being sick in the morning, tired a lot because I couldn't sleep and mood swings from hell was all worth it. I will definitely be back on this if my endo comes back!!!! Definitely a 10 star review from me! (I stayed on lupron for 9 months)."

Britt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I am 52 (5'8", 155 lbs) w/ large (13 cm) intramural fibroid (fibroid w/in the muscle wall of the uterus). In case I had any adverse reaction to Lupron, decided to take the low dose injection (1 x a month) instead of the single high dose that lasts three months. Felt pretty okay w/ Lupron, other than a dull headache that lingered on for two months (I only had two injections). The actual fibroid did not shrink much after two months (from 13 to 11 cm) but the surgeon said it made the fibroid softer. Had a laparoscopic hysterectomy w/ success. 90% recovered after five days."

Working Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I have been on the Lupron for about a year. Last year I had 6 monthly injections. The pain that I was experiencing before taking Lupron was horrible. Within 3 weeks of being on Lupron I was pain free with very minimal side effects. One of them was weight gain. For me the weight gain was way better than the pain that I was experiencing before! I went off the shot for about 6 months and the pain returned. The second time around I received a 3-month injection. The pain got worse the first couple of weeks then it was gone again. Now I feel like I can live a normal pain free life again. Still very minimal side effect. This drug has been a life saver for me! I read so many horrible reviews of this drug but honestly its been a huge relief for me!!! I now can function again!"

Kathy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I have had like 8 fibroids super big started 2015 March started bleeding blood clots. I was close to 50 years old so I found a study and she recommended lupron, I'm not gonna lie had 3 shots, my hair fell out - its gone, but for the pain I'm in right now might have to get my 4th shot. This situation changes your life style 100%. Horrible uterus pain is unbelievable. My hot flash/ cold flash worst are without lupron."

Choclate (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "After having a shot of lupron I had a bad side effects a muscle spasm on my neck , my hair shedding, dizziness and weak , migraine, I can't function well"

Arlene (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Hi, I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis in April of 2017. My situation was a little different because the disease went into my colon and shut down my bowel system. After two surgeries my doctor recommended I go on Lupron for 6 months. After reading the reviews, I told my doctor no. I was scared out my mind. He insisted and I finally agreed. I just took my last shot of my 6mo treatment and in the beginning I experienced the hot flashes but I was given Northein pills to offset it and it worked. I didn't bleed, I occasionally had sweats, nausea or an upset stomach. However; I can't say anything really bad about the drug. I'm glad I took it. I think it depends on the individual body but I will say you have to give your system time to adapt to the drug."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was so skeptical about these shots, scared to death of the side effects after reading posts...I could kick myself! My shirts fall past my waist, I always looked pregnant. Slight headache, took generic aspirin, did the trick, hot flashes, weird but no that bad. Cycle, had one regular (heavy) period then skipped. Overall, I was so satisfied, I just called and ordered my second shot (I get them quarterly). Everyone reacts different to different types of medication...what works for others may not work for you but this did work for me. Good Luck...Sorry for the grammer stuff was in a rush"

uptown December 4, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was diagnosed with a 13cm fibroid. The doctor wanted to shrink it to be able to perform a lathroscopic hysterectomy. I was having CONSTANT heavy bleeding for months on end, even the transamic acid wasn't slowing it down. First drug we tried was Fibristal. It was supposed to slow the bleeding and shrink the fibroid. I took this for 6 months and it did ABSOLUTELY nothing. The doctor then suggested Lupron Depot. The first week on Lupron was hard. Bleeding was much heavier than before (which was already horrible). But by week 2 the bleeding completely stopped. By 5 months on Lupron my fibroid had shrunk to 11cm. A bit of hot flashes. Some fogginess/irritability, but that's normal for me...lol"

Andersc2 November 22, 2017

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "My 9 year old has been on this drug for a year and has put on 11kgs... I have just decided to stop the injections as I have read so much on long term weight gain. Can anyone advise if they too have had this side effect. I’m now worried even though I have stopped it now how will she lose the weight as it just isn’t budging though we have cut her calories etc."

Whythis124 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2017

For Prostate Cancer: "Diagnosed October 2016 stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer 2-8s 1-9 gleason....perineal invasion.....ductal variant hystoligy. It is rare, very aggressive with bone mets pelvis , rib and possible knee just waiting results from MRI. I'm having 3rd shot (22.5mg) of this nasty stuff. I work in construction so muscles important and this gives a noticeable reduction, with hot sweats - when its 98 percent humidity I pour sweat and have muscle aches. My memory is stuffed up .....and everyone is right drs just don't even want to hear about your side effects. And sex for get about it. But my PSA is .07. I want to take a break but doc says with my aggressive type ....no way. I'm just buying time, we all have a expiration date.........enjoy life........boywonder"

boywonder56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I've been on the lupron shot for almost 2 years now the first six months were the hardest I woke up tired icky feeling and puked. I lost my appetite lost a lot of weight and it made my insomnia worse and my urge to pee worse especially at night. Once the nausea settled and my appetite came back the other side effects were easy to cope with on top of the side effects from the implanon. I haven't bleed at all and had no pain. I got off it for 3 months and some of my shooting pain came back but no bleeding so I got put back on it. I just decided to take a break and I'm crampy and starting to spot. My obgyn said I shouldn't have pain like I was before so we shall wait and see since the lupron is working my medicaid wont let me have a lap to see what stage my endometriosis is"

kaibug (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2017

For Prostate Cancer: "Weight gain. HOT Flashes. Shrinking testicles"

Mully111kk! September 24, 2017

For Prostate Cancer: "Had a radical prostatectomy in 2009. Discovered to have spread to spine in 2017 and was told I would be on Lupron till "the end". For me the most telling effect apart from weight gain and hair loss (chest) has been the incredible emotional roller coaster I have been on! What is especially striking is the fact that memories from 25 years ago and the split from my first wife seem more "real" to me now than my current state! The pain of those old memories and regrets is exceedingly intense! Very strange!!! In fact those old emotions became so powerful I sought out a psychiatrist to help me cope. Lorazepam has proven to be a godsend!"

Baystreetboy1947 August 27, 2017