User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Female Infertility 1 reviews 23 medications

5.8
Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 1 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Leuprolide reviews 211 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Leuprolide

Lupron Depot 11.25 mg (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "My experience on this drug mirrors that of albert owens. The side effects are truly awful, no energy, no sex, headaches, no sleep I am either sweating or peeing all night. Deep depression, anxiety, nausea, memory loss,l egs swelled, 2 stone weight gain around middle, no quality of life left. I must agree with burned out wife also because my wife feels just like her and it is not nice. I have over another year on this stuff, I am happy for the men it has worked for bless them, but for myself and others it can be a nightmare. Take care and good luck to all."

kluff1946 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "My daughter is 11yrs old and she took depo lupron since she was 11 months old and stop when she was 10yrs old my daughter is worse off more than before I should have let nature take its course because my daughter is having some of the worse side effects ever. She forgets stuff and can't get out of bed she is starting to get stiff bones and her body locks up on her. She cramps so bad to the point she throws up or pass out she can't play with her friends because she also developed back and neck problems as well first she use to take it every 28 days and then it changed to every 3 months I really think this is taking a toll on her I'm afraid it might have messed up more then her body and mind l'm afraid she might not be able to have children."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Saving life is most important. However, so is quality of life. My husband of 30 years, the most stable, peaceful, fun, loving person I had ever met, completely disappeared with this drug. Physical side effects are horrible, but the potential psychological and emotional impact of this treatment can be even worse. And, it is not at all addressed by the medical community. He's gone for support, he's gone for counselling, but nothing seems to get through. The fact that he's alive apparently is not enough. SO, after dealing with this for so many years, I would strongly suggest that couples fully deal with this together. Your husband/or partner will become a completely different human being on this drug - and the impact is not reversible."

Burned out Wife July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "The hospital OBGYN decided to give me this while I was receiving treatments to prevent me from bleeding out(I have leukemia) and only told me I would get night sweats and a slight mood swing and I would not get my period. I had my period for a month and a half straight, causing me to get transfusions almost daily, my bones feel like they're breaking, I went from 115 to 170, I'm constantly about to punch through things or cry uncontrollably, suicidal thoughts shot through the roof, blood pressure dropped, sweating so much, I can't walk much anymore without sharp pain and tiredness, etc. I begged them not to give me it on my second round of chemo and they still did. Do yourself a favor and don't take this drug."

MickeyStocks (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis: "Started this medication 9 months ago for a large endometrioma found during exploratory lap surgery for the pain from this, so far I've been profusely sweating and fatigued, it was supposed to stop my period, it hasn't, pain still there don't think it's working for me, I have lost over 20lbs but it's hard work diet exercise, so it is possible to lose weight on it or at least not gain. Not rating this high because for me the side effects outweighs what might be some relief, not enough to warrant going on it again, I've already had one endometrioma removed many years ago, they don't want to remove this one because it's huge and will leave a large space might end up with bad hernia, would have been nice if they would have figured it out sooner."

Angiephilipsburg June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I had my heavy period and strong and constant pain which stops me doing my normal life for more than 5 years. Since I have started to inject this Lupron it has changed my life after all those painful years now I had 4 injections already and go for the fifth one. The only side effect I had is hot flashes especially during nights and some bone pain which are nothing to compare with the pain I had for more than 5 years. It is really worth to try if you are on the heavy bleeding and pain."

nelofar June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "Grecia-- I hope you'll find this message, even though it's been many years since you posted. My daughter also started Lupron PED at 2 years old. She's now 4. It has reversed her chest development and her growth is more on track now. But I'm just finding out about all these bad side affects. I haven't heard of anyone else starting the medicine so early like her, so I was wondering if your daughter ever had/has any bad side affects from using it. My daughter has the 11.25mg injection every 3 months. Our insurance just changed how the bill it so now it's going to be over $4k!!! Help!!!"

Mom of 4yo (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot 11.25 mg (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was on this medicine about a year ago but I only took it twice over 6 months(it was an every 3 months shot) I did not see any difference in the size of my waist. I didn't have professional test to show me a change in my size, I measured my waist each day. The measurement didn't change at all. Multiple doctors advised m that there would be no change if any due to the fact that I was very large. I recently had the Acessa procedure to help shrink the fibroids small enough to manage with a myomectomy surgery or hopefully without any other surgeries. At this point, it has been six weeks since the surgery and I am too afraid to measure myself yet. Will update in a couple months or so."

Ihatefibroids1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Many years of pain - After exploratory surgery and a part of one ovary taken than laparoscopic 3 times to get rid of the endo, I thought this was going to be my saving grace ! It has ruined my life and I'm talking well over 20 years Ago. If I remember correctly it was a new drug they we're trying at the time. Yes it stopped my period and pain but literally jumped from 110 to 140 in one month , had a complete breakdown first time ever in my life breaking a glass table . Depression and anxiety and Anger became my life . I reported all symptoms even the little ones , such as sweating and not sleeping , hot flashes etc . So not worth the lasting side effects depression never went away ! Don't use this drug / it took my happiness in life -"

JustMesue1963 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "It cause me permanent hair loss."

Mclar April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Had a large pedunctulated fibroid tumor on my uterus- shot was administered , they found my fibroid got larger after 3 months. Had to have a partial hysterectomy to have it removed so I could sit, drive and have sex without being uncomfortable or bleeding. I had every side effect which was miserable. I had extreme hair loss (thinning) and I'm still trying to grow it back... this drug did not work for me. It has been over a year."

Meli Gee 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in November of 2016 my PSA was 14.8 and my Gleason Score was 6. The good news is that the cancer did not spread outside to prostate and was in 9 out of 12 from the biopsy. I took Casodex for one month and had one Lupron injection then stared 44 treatments of radiation around treatment 20 my PSA went down to .09. After I complete radiation I have one more Lupron Injection to take then that is it no more Cancer I hope. The side effects are some hot flashes, weight gain, shrinking testicles and frequent urination. After my next and last Lupron injection I hope to be done with Cancer"

Ridgback (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 16, started 6 month (6 injection) Lupron therapy at 17 and felt amazing. Yes, I gained weight and got the hot flashes, depression and swelling legs and feet, but it was all worth making the pain go away. Fast forward 5 years, and endometriosis is back with a vengeance plus I had a golf-ball sized cyst on my ovary. So I had the lap to have the endo burned out and the cyst removed, and of course the next step was up to me and I begged for Lupron! Sadly, I've been let down the second time around. Symptoms are all the same but now the pain is still persistent, even in my 6th month. Major sad face about that."

ahann April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "The side effects are worst than the original problem, I've had 2 shots and won't be going for another one."

Anonymous March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot 11.25 mg (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I have taken this injection on 12th Sept 2016.. now it has been 7 month still my period has not came..I don't know..does this drug remain in the body for such a long time?"

Anonymous March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I was on lupron a few years ago. For chronic pain multiple cysts I was bed ridden a week or two of of every month. This injection saved my life back then. I lost coverage so i stopped. Now I have coverage and decided to try it again... its not working this time!. I'm in pain all the time still. I have trouble sleeping at night or staying asleep my libido is gone..and I'm in the 4th month of treatment and started bleeding and have really bad pains again.. and my got flashes are back. The first month is the worst! Worst period of my life.. but there was no bleeding until now.. so I would recommend trying the once a month doses first"

Love hate relationship (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Hot sweats were the thing most mentioned and most noticeable. My apologies for lack of empathy to all those who I've known going through them. Muscle mass loss and decreased exercise tolerance. My total weight lifted in a usual work out fell to about 1/3. Dry scaling skin and increased dry hair. However, my creeping male pattern baldness was certainly less noticeable. Testicular size and libido took a hit."

dOCwALT (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "at age 60 biopsy showed prostate cancer psa was 10. had it out. After it was out, psa still ten. Started Lupron and psa dropped to 0 for two years. Then my doc suggested I go without the lupron... I did for 8 months and my psa climbed to 4. back on lupron and it dropped to zero. Did lupron for another year, then went off of it again. Why? The side effects, bad arthritis hot flashes, weight gain, 30 lbs in first two months, then no more. No libido and everything shrinks. No body hair. It was a joy to get off that stuff for awhile but my psa started climbing again. Now back on Lupron, but no change in psa. Went to a monthly shot, my psa stayed at 4. Added Casodex, grew boobs, really bad. My psa is now 2. I've been fighting cancer now for 6 years."

Fly4ever (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometriosis after I had a laparoscopy. My doctor suggested lupron depot for six months (2 shots). I have been on lupron depot for almost 3 months where it is time to get my second shot. I am almost sure I will not get the second shot. I am in worst pain than I was before the shot and I have had NON STOP bleeding. You are not supposed to be bleeding while on lupron especially for three months. I have an appointment with my doctor soon about my next step. The medicine is supposed to rid you from pain-but for me it caused it to worsen. In regards to other side effects such as hot flashes, depression, mood swings, etc I don't have any of that! Bottom line, I wish I never would have got this medicine."

Sweetpea77 January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "My daughter was diagnosed with precocious puberty at age 7. She takes the shots every 3 months and has been doing so for 2 years now. She had slight armpit hair, slight public hair and breast buds. The shots did not stop puberty but slowed it down. I do recommend it. Her height has increased and we hope to stop the shots when she turns 11."

Kavs (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I am on a 3 month shot plan but monthly shots. I didn't want the 3 month all at once because I wanted to see how my body would react to it first. Shot given 12/07/16 and today is 12/28/16. The first week, I didnt really have any side effects and I was really hopeful that this will be the worse. Wishful thinking didnt last long. Hot flashes, night sweats, chills, emotional wreck and I believe slight headaches that come and go. BUT on the contrary, less than a month and my fibroid has already physically shrank. I havent seen the doc yet but I can physically see that it shrank. My clothes are loose in the belt line area. My fibroid was the size of a small grapefruit (17cm) but I really see a huge different in shrinkage. Could be worse :/"

LaneyBaby December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Eligard (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I had my first Eligard shot recently. It's difficult to say what side effects I'm having. Because I have spinal stenosis I have had surgery to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerves on each side and I have edema in both legs and feet as well as pain. There are spots on my feet where I have no feeling with the right foot being more affected. I cannot walk around with something on my feet even if it is just slippers because there are also extremely sensitive spots on my feet. I am also diabetic. I get throbbing and stabbing pains occasionally again with the right foot being more involved. Because I've been on opioids for 15 years I have not produced much testosterone for a long time. I am presently at 75 ng/dl. Thanks."

Cityboy1627 December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I suffer from terrible cramps and fibroid. I do take a low dose birth control, that sometimes barely helps my cramps. I was given the 1 dose a month, 6 month treatment after my GYNO could barely do a vaginal ultrasound for one of my visit and I had been having a "period" off and on for over 3 months. The fibroid was so large, it obstructed the movement of the wand thingy. I've been on it for 5 months, the 1st month, I still got my awful period and spent my usual $50 on pads and Advil, just as heavy. But by the 2nd month, bye bye Aunt Flo and it's been pretty okay except for the hot flashes,weight gain, tiredness and the sore hips, soles and ankles. The sore hips, soles & ankles don't hit until the 4th month. The hot flashes just suck!"

CDM85 December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "My rating is based SOLELY on symptoms, I am unsure about the effectiveness being that I haven't checked my fibroid size yet to see if it has suppressed. To furthermore explain, I was diagnosed with a large fibroid about 10cm (outside my uterus) through a CT scan. I'm 28, no children, but hoping to conceive in my early 30s, therefore I chose to go on with the Lupron shot (3.75) to hopefully shrink the fibroid for surgery early next year. After reading the side effects, I was terrified and put this off for a year and a half. I have had ONE symptom and that is I do notice that my (face) is a bit clammy/dry. Just wishing I never put it off due to fear. I just finished my first month. Will update how month 2 went in January!"

Meli P (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "At age 42 I had partial hysterectomy (uterus only) to remove large fibroids. (daughter was born when I was 32). Dr found stage IV endometriosis. He left my ovaries and said he never wanted to do surgery again - endo everywhere. He suggested Lupron to arrest the Endo. It took me a year to start Lupron. I had to contact a foundation to qualify to receive the medication for free. I did two 3 month shots. I remember some hot flashes, nausea & a few mood swings but it passed fairly quickly. Now, I am 46 and in full menopause. I have osteopenia with some degenerative disc issues. Chronic back pain hurts most when laying on stomach in bed. But I do not use pain meds or H.R.T. I hope the brain fog & other symptoms continue to improve."

Hystomommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016