User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Female Infertility 1 reviews 23 medications

5.9
Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 1 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Leuprolide reviews 194 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Leuprolide

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "at age 60 biopsy showed prostate cancer psa was 10. had it out. After it was out, psa still ten. Started Lupron and psa dropped to 0 for two years. Then my doc suggested I go without the lupron... I did for 8 months and my psa climbed to 4. back on lupron and it dropped to zero. Did lupron for another year, then went off of it again. Why? The side effects, bad arthritis hot flashes, weight gain, 30 lbs in first two months, then no more. No libido and everything shrinks. No body hair. It was a joy to get off that stuff for awhile but my psa started climbing again. Now back on Lupron, but no change in psa. Went to a monthly shot, my psa stayed at 4. Added Casodex, grew boobs, really bad. My psa is now 2. I've been fighting cancer now for 6 years."

Fly4ever (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometriosis after I had a laparoscopy. My doctor suggested lupron depot for six months (2 shots). I have been on lupron depot for almost 3 months where it is time to get my second shot. I am almost sure I will not get the second shot. I am in worst pain than I was before the shot and I have had NON STOP bleeding. You are not supposed to be bleeding while on lupron especially for three months. I have an appointment with my doctor soon about my next step. The medicine is supposed to rid you from pain-but for me it caused it to worsen. In regards to other side effects such as hot flashes, depression, mood swings, etc I don't have any of that! Bottom line, I wish I never would have got this medicine."

Sweetpea77 January 6, 2017

Lupron Depot-PED (leuprolide) for Precocious Puberty: "My daughter was diagnosed with precocious puberty at age 7. She takes the shots every 3 months and has been doing so for 2 years now. She had slight armpit hair, slight public hair and breast buds. The shots did not stop puberty but slowed it down. I do recommend it. Her height has increased and we hope to stop the shots when she turns 11."

Kavs (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

Lupron (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "I am on a 3 month shot plan but monthly shots. I didn't want the 3 month all at once because I wanted to see how my body would react to it first. Shot given 12/07/16 and today is 12/28/16. The first week, I didnt really have any side effects and I was really hopeful that this will be the worse. Wishful thinking didnt last long. Hot flashes, night sweats, chills, emotional wreck and I believe slight headaches that come and go. BUT on the contrary, less than a month and my fibroid has already physically shrank. I havent seen the doc yet but I can physically see that it shrank. My clothes are loose in the belt line area. My fibroid was the size of a small grapefruit (17cm) but I really see a huge different in shrinkage. Could be worse :/"

LaneyBaby December 28, 2016

Eligard (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I had my first Eligard shot recently. It's difficult to say what side effects I'm having. Because I have spinal stenosis I have had surgery to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerves on each side and I have edema in both legs and feet as well as pain. There are spots on my feet where I have no feeling with the right foot being more affected. I cannot walk around with something on my feet even if it is just slippers because there are also extremely sensitive spots on my feet. I am also diabetic. I get throbbing and stabbing pains occasionally again with the right foot being more involved. Because I've been on opioids for 15 years I have not produced much testosterone for a long time. I am presently at 75 ng/dl. Thanks."

Cityboy1627 December 23, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I suffer from terrible cramps and fibroid. I do take a low dose birth control, that sometimes barely helps my cramps. I was given the 1 dose a month, 6 month treatment after my GYNO could barely do a vaginal ultrasound for one of my visit and I had been having a "period" off and on for over 3 months. The fibroid was so large, it obstructed the movement of the wand thingy. I've been on it for 5 months, the 1st month, I still got my awful period and spent my usual $50 on pads and Advil, just as heavy. But by the 2nd month, bye bye Aunt Flo and it's been pretty okay except for the hot flashes,weight gain, tiredness and the sore hips, soles and ankles. The sore hips, soles & ankles don't hit until the 4th month. The hot flashes just suck!"

CDM85 December 17, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "My rating is based SOLELY on symptoms, I am unsure about the effectiveness being that I haven't checked my fibroid size yet to see if it has suppressed. To furthermore explain, I was diagnosed with a large fibroid about 10cm (outside my uterus) through a CT scan. I'm 28, no children, but hoping to conceive in my early 30s, therefore I chose to go on with the Lupron shot (3.75) to hopefully shrink the fibroid for surgery early next year. After reading the side effects, I was terrified and put this off for a year and a half. I have had ONE symptom and that is I do notice that my (face) is a bit clammy/dry. Just wishing I never put it off due to fear. I just finished my first month. Will update how month 2 went in January!"

Meli P (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "At age 42 I had partial hysterectomy (uterus only) to remove large fibroids. (daughter was born when I was 32). Dr found stage IV endometriosis. He left my ovaries and said he never wanted to do surgery again - endo everywhere. He suggested Lupron to arrest the Endo. It took me a year to start Lupron. I had to contact a foundation to qualify to receive the medication for free. I did two 3 month shots. I remember some hot flashes, nausea & a few mood swings but it passed fairly quickly. Now, I am 46 and in full menopause. I have osteopenia with some degenerative disc issues. Chronic back pain hurts most when laying on stomach in bed. But I do not use pain meds or H.R.T. I hope the brain fog & other symptoms continue to improve."

Hystomommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Uterine Fibroids: "Finally, something that worked for my fibroids! Yay"

Tammy52221 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I have endometriosis and adenomyosis and pain was scary and I became bedridden some of the days.I had my first Lupron 11.25 mg on June 2016.I am suffering following side effects but I will continue this medication as pain from endo and adeno is worse then side effects. - Swelling at feet - Weight gain - 6kg in 6 months - Increased sweating - Hot flash suffered only first month of this treatment - Fluid retention - Carpal tunnel - Forgetful - Growth of upper lip hair - Slipped disc and compress of the right leg nerves I am going to take second injection soon and after that I will go for Hysterectomy. Btw I am just 36:(."

Ei Phyu Soe December 7, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "During my early 30's, I had 2 laporoscopies and 1 laparotomy for severe endometriosis but had no relief from pain. At 34, I had my 1st Lupron Depot shot. It eliminated my pain completely. The only side effects were hot flashes and irritability. The side effects were EXACTLY what I am experiencing with menopause now at the age of 58. I did not have any joint pain or other side effects. After 6 months of shots, my primary care physician advised that bone loss could result from prolonged treatment, so we stopped treatment. As an alternative, I was put on low dose birth control pills which I took every day to stop my periods. Should have done this to begin with! No pain and no side effects!"

Doinggreat December 1, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with stage 5 Endometriosis, back in the early 90's. My Dr. suggested to me the Lupron shots.. The reason we did not do the surgery at that time, I was young and wanted children, so to help with the awful pain, and miserable time of the month, we started Lupron Injections. Let me say, the side effects were awful! THE HOT FLASHES, I wanted to go out into the snow naked to cool off. The mood swings were out of control, however I was put through the menopause stage and no periods, that was heaven. I was on the injections for 6 months, then after I was off the wicked horrid pain and cycle started. The weight gain was insane. I had to go back on the injections, but since the weight gain, I quit after the 2nd injection."

Nasty Endo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "From the urologist, Lupron is a hormone to shrink the prostate prior to the x-ray treatments for cancer. I have lived with BPH for several years, and it did not shrink the prostate in my opinion. Subsequently, I learned from the Oncologist it was for lowering the PSA. and it did lower the PSA. The hormone was injected in the right and left gluteus muscles with the predicted soreness that passed with time. Three months prior to radiation; markers were placed in the prostate. After the markers were placed a second round of injections were required. This round resulted in a mistake, and the injection in the left gluteus resulted in the Sciatic nerve being punctured which has resulted in severe pain and soreness continuing to date."

Mr.Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "So I had BAD adverse affects to the Depo Provero shot.. SO bad that I lost my job. I had bad fevers for 6 months.. It felt like my body was on FIRE..No energy and it triggered hypothyroidism in me. I'm only 37. I have finally got to feeling better, the shot is out of my system as of a couple weeks back, losing weight now. No period yet, but my gyno said the next thing he could do is Depo Lupron.. needless to say I'm TERRIFIED! It's only the month shot, but I'm still scared to death. I already suffer with mental illness. I just wanted a hysterectomy to get this nightmare over with, so I could get back to life and never worry about this crap again. If you have any insight, let me know Thx."

RobynDyan November 13, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I got a month shot right when I was about to start period. Period ended up lasting about 12 days. I was told night sweats and menopausal symptoms would happen but I did NOT expect the suicidal urges (I've been diagnosed with depression but it was manageable before this shot), migraines - worst migraines I've ever experienced in my life, nausea, cankles. I've had to take roughly 5 days off of work just in the last 3 weeks and I may even lose my job. I am so irritable and cannot sleep for the life of me. I wake up at least 30 times a night. I'd rather have my excruciating menstrual cramps than go through this ever again. My body did NOT like this AT ALL!"

skahlua912 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Eligard (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I must say if I only knew what this medication was going to do to me I would of never taken it. At the age of 61 this medication has destroyed my life. After each injection it caused deeper and deeper depression. What at one time brought joy to my life is gone. There is no since of any type of sexuality at all. Nothing brings joy to ones life. after each shot it just makes it worse. The hot flashes are so severe I will have to change my work shirt a couple of times a day. I will soak a shirt with in minuets. One has to remember that the Eligard will get rid of all your hormones. we are not made to run that way and there is no support that will help you deal with that or tell you what to expect. You are no longer male but not female either."

Bill Bunch (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "This drug ruined 11 years of my life & continues to do so. I was given no addback therapy, nor told of any side effects, only the leaflet to read at home AFTER I'd already been given 3 month Lupron shot & told it will help my excruciating Endometriosis pain. After reading leaflet in it's entirety I immediately called my OB/GYN & asked about addback, Calcium & lots more questions. I was scared of all side-effects listed on the leaflet & wished I had known about them before (I'd have refused) or that I could UNDO the shot! He told me worst that may happen are few hot flashes. My pain worsened, I got OSTEOPOROSIS, lost several teeth & couldn't walk unasisted for 6mths. THIS IS TRULY A HORRIBLE DRUG!!!"

Alma Ducky (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "Diagnosed with stage 4 with PC in my right hip. PSA for years was between 2.0 to 3.5. Went from 3.5 to 29 in one year ! I encourage all with a PSA of over 3.0 get a bone density test ! Started Luprone 30 day shot on July 5th 2016. First 3 months went from 29 to 3 so headed in the right direction. Bone pain reduced after first shot by more than 75%. Hot flashes around the clock roughly 10 to 12 a day with a intensity level of about a 5 or 6. Very annoying but tolerable. Miscellaneous aches and pains in joints and muscles. Occasional foggy headed and definitely wake up to much to pee. I'm trying Flo-max now I hope to see some improvement. Fatigue is real! I can't tell if this is harder on my Family than me! So far so good. God Bless to ALL!"

Mr Chuck October 26, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Started almost a month ago, I just got over my period when I recieved the injection, I started my menses about week and half after injection, they said this is normal, overall pain is a tad worse, the drs also said that would happen, I'm not giving a full rating on it yet, I haven't been on it long enough, they are trying to shrink a 3 inch abdominal wall endometriosis, I will have to stay on the drug for a year, also been prescribed norethindrone, haven't really had the side effects listed with this drug, not sure I will later on or not."

Angmtt (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I've been on Lupron for 8 months now. I have very very painful endo that has put me in the ER at least 50X in the last 5 years. I tried depo shot and continuous use of the Nuva ring before this. Nothing has worked, except Lupron. I do suffer hot flashes and a bit of fatigue/joint point around the time that would be my cycle. The first cycle on the injection was still hell, second I could still work :)! My doctor wants me on it for a while, as I'm only 23 and she does want to jump to a hysterectomy just yet. I'm scared to go beyond the recommended year of Lupron, but so far so good and it's the only thing that's given my life back. I hope that if you try it, it works for you. Though, we are all different."

Jenasis23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I started this about 6 -7 weeks ago after laparoscopy for small endo on my bowel and top of cervix was unsuccessful. The first month was a nightmare. Started with worsening pain symptoms and an extra-long last period. Mood swings were outrageous. Crying, all the time and a little feet/ankle swelling. Started adding back therapy and spironolactone a week ago and as I reach the end of month two, I'm pain free and I feel emotionally more stable. The side effects are manageable, at least right now. So if you can get past the initial period, it works."

Kamcc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "My PSA was rising after RP to 0.59. Started radiation with Lupron. If you exercise really hard with lots of caffiene, no sugar in the morning and minimal sugar all day long with high quality food, then the effects of Lupron are minimal other than the muscle pain and some joint pain. Sex life is about once a month. The more you exercise, the more likely you are able to have a sex life. After six months on Lupron I can still have sex. I took Bicalutimide with my first shot. I highly recommend to avoid the hot flashes"

Grumbly September 30, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts and endometriosis at 18 years old (very early to find). I've suffered 4 years of this before I got diagnosed until eventually I was rushed to the hospital from the pain. My only option was lupron depot shot, I got the 11mg one. Worst decision of my life. I am thankful for having 100% coverage because it would've been a waste of money. I feel sad, depressed, anxious, its awful. I already have depression and anxiety. I feel like I'm going through withdrawals, I get heat flashes, the pills they give, what they call norlutate, didn't help the symptoms, I've noticed they made it worse, I had headaches every single day. I wouldn't recommend this shot. I'm still having period pain and its been 3 month"

Montana.T September 18, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Endometriosis: "Was prescribed Lupron after endo surgery since not all growths could be removed. I was very scared to be taking it after I read about it (I cried in doctor's office when getting the injection). But I ended up loving it. It stopped my periods and the pain, so my anemia was under control and I had so much energy! As for side effects, there was insomnia (but I was not tired from it, so it was OK) and hot flashes started after about two months - but that was nothing compared to the relief. I only got one 3-month shot, but the positive effects lasted for quite a bit. I hope to get another 3-6 months soon. I know there are risks to this, and everyone reacts differently, so I could not advise anyone to take it or not, but for me it was wonderful."

memememe! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) for Prostate Cancer: "I AM 87 AND HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH LUPRON FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS. I JUST HAD A CHECKUP AND MY PSA LEVEL WAS .430, MY LAST SHOT WAS IN APRIL. It is hard to tell when i will have another shot, i will check in with my doctor in four months, So far the only side effect is the hot flushing. It is fairly regular, last about 45 seconds or so and is a bit annoying, but considering it is keeping the cancer at bay i can live with it,"

tuppy August 30, 2016