User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Leuprolide Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Endometriosis

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I just started the lupron shot and so far its helping but its also come along with hot flashes , dizzyness, prolonged QT heart interval (I already have the heart problem but it is amplifying it) body pain which is slowly going down, brain fog, insomnia, fatigue inability to breathe, and is making some of my connective tissue symptoms worse. I'm hoping at least some of these symptoms go away. If they do I will continue the monthly shots since the endo symptoms are getting better (headache, bowel issues, insane amount of bleeding every month and debilitating pain)."

Tripp (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"Am a female, and its been just two months since my injection. I have missed my periods, and am having heat flashes ,mostly when I sleep, drinking a lot of water, am having back pain and joints pain. My tummy is big. My question is this, how long until my period come back? and how long until this symptoms go away?"

Shyrose (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Within one week of starting depot lupron, I was struck with severe headaches and fatigue. Muscle and joint pain set in and sleep became impossible. I have had no relief from my endometriosis pain. Pelvic pain is daily and constant. Dull aches in my lower abdomen and sharp shooting pain through my colon. Even with add back therapy, I have had hot flashes and severe waves of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I wish I had never gotten it. This is the second time my doctor has put me on this "medication" with zero results or relief from my symptoms. I only feel worse. It has made me and my relationship suffer. It's not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Honestly I was so sick of having surgeries constantly and so my OB recommended me trying Lupron for my endometriosis - 1 shot once a month for 6 months and longer if i would like to. I was told I couldn't have any more babies. I had tried everything and nothing worked to have another. Got on lupron for my extreme pain from endo and for the first month I got a horrible period like period then after that I didn't have a period. When I got off it I was prego and didn't even know. I got my rainbow miracle baby thanks Lupron and my endo hasn't returned since then thank goodness. Yes hot flashes, being sick in the morning, tired a lot because I couldn't sleep and mood swings from hell was all worth it. I will definitely be back on this if my endo comes back!!!! Definitely a 10 star review from me! (I stayed on lupron for 9 months)."

Britt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I have been on the Lupron for about a year. Last year I had 6 monthly injections. The pain that I was experiencing before taking Lupron was horrible. Within 3 weeks of being on Lupron I was pain free with very minimal side effects. One of them was weight gain. For me the weight gain was way better than the pain that I was experiencing before! I went off the shot for about 6 months and the pain returned. The second time around I received a 3-month injection. The pain got worse the first couple of weeks then it was gone again. Now I feel like I can live a normal pain free life again. Still very minimal side effect. This drug has been a life saver for me! I read so many horrible reviews of this drug but honestly its been a huge relief for me!!! I now can function again!"

Kathy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "After having a shot of lupron I had a bad side effects a muscle spasm on my neck , my hair shedding, dizziness and weak , migraine, I can't function well"

Arlene (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Hi, I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis in April of 2017. My situation was a little different because the disease went into my colon and shut down my bowel system. After two surgeries my doctor recommended I go on Lupron for 6 months. After reading the reviews, I told my doctor no. I was scared out my mind. He insisted and I finally agreed. I just took my last shot of my 6mo treatment and in the beginning I experienced the hot flashes but I was given Northein pills to offset it and it worked. I didn't bleed, I occasionally had sweats, nausea or an upset stomach. However; I can't say anything really bad about the drug. I'm glad I took it. I think it depends on the individual body but I will say you have to give your system time to adapt to the drug."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I've been on the lupron shot for almost 2 years now the first six months were the hardest I woke up tired icky feeling and puked. I lost my appetite lost a lot of weight and it made my insomnia worse and my urge to pee worse especially at night. Once the nausea settled and my appetite came back the other side effects were easy to cope with on top of the side effects from the implanon. I haven't bleed at all and had no pain. I got off it for 3 months and some of my shooting pain came back but no bleeding so I got put back on it. I just decided to take a break and I'm crampy and starting to spot. My obgyn said I shouldn't have pain like I was before so we shall wait and see since the lupron is working my medicaid wont let me have a lap to see what stage my endometriosis is"

kaibug (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I'm on the 6 month therapy treatment and I got my 4th injection yesterday. At the beginning I was getting the hot flashes which I can deal with, the mood swings. I rather deal with that then the terrible belly button pain , bleeding from navel and chest pain. I was diagnosed with endo stage 4 about 3 years ago. But now I'm starting to think "is it worth it?" with the insomnia, tiredness, diarrhea and waking up with migraines"

Alexis21007 August 18, 2017

Lupron (leuprolide): "The hospital OBGYN decided to give me this while I was receiving treatments to prevent me from bleeding out(I have leukemia) and only told me I would get night sweats and a slight mood swing and I would not get my period. I had my period for a month and a half straight, causing me to get transfusions almost daily, my bones feel like they're breaking, I went from 115 to 170, I'm constantly about to punch through things or cry uncontrollably, suicidal thoughts shot through the roof, blood pressure dropped, sweating so much, I can't walk much anymore without sharp pain and tiredness, etc. I begged them not to give me it on my second round of chemo and they still did. Do yourself a favor and don't take this drug."

MickeyStocks (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

"Started this medication 9 months ago for a large endometrioma found during exploratory lap surgery for the pain from this, so far I've been profusely sweating and fatigued, it was supposed to stop my period, it hasn't, pain still there don't think it's working for me, I have lost over 20lbs but it's hard work diet exercise, so it is possible to lose weight on it or at least not gain. Not rating this high because for me the side effects outweighs what might be some relief, not enough to warrant going on it again, I've already had one endometrioma removed many years ago, they don't want to remove this one because it's huge and will leave a large space might end up with bad hernia, would have been nice if they would have figured it out sooner."

Angiephilipsburg June 28, 2017

Lupron (leuprolide): "Many years of pain - After exploratory surgery and a part of one ovary taken than laparoscopic 3 times to get rid of the endo, I thought this was going to be my saving grace ! It has ruined my life and I'm talking well over 20 years Ago. If I remember correctly it was a new drug they we're trying at the time. Yes it stopped my period and pain but literally jumped from 110 to 140 in one month , had a complete breakdown first time ever in my life breaking a glass table . Depression and anxiety and Anger became my life . I reported all symptoms even the little ones , such as sweating and not sleeping , hot flashes etc . So not worth the lasting side effects depression never went away ! Don't use this drug / it took my happiness in life -"

JustMesue1963 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 16, started 6 month (6 injection) Lupron therapy at 17 and felt amazing. Yes, I gained weight and got the hot flashes, depression and swelling legs and feet, but it was all worth making the pain go away. Fast forward 5 years, and endometriosis is back with a vengeance plus I had a golf-ball sized cyst on my ovary. So I had the lap to have the endo burned out and the cyst removed, and of course the next step was up to me and I begged for Lupron! Sadly, I've been let down the second time around. Symptoms are all the same but now the pain is still persistent, even in my 6th month. Major sad face about that."

ahann April 2, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "The side effects are worst than the original problem, I've had 2 shots and won't be going for another one."

Anonymous March 31, 2017

Lupron Depot-Gyn (leuprolide): "I have taken this injection on 12th Sept 2016.. now it has been 7 month still my period has not came..I don't know..does this drug remain in the body for such a long time?"

Anonymous March 10, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometriosis after I had a laparoscopy. My doctor suggested lupron depot for six months (2 shots). I have been on lupron depot for almost 3 months where it is time to get my second shot. I am almost sure I will not get the second shot. I am in worst pain than I was before the shot and I have had NON STOP bleeding. You are not supposed to be bleeding while on lupron especially for three months. I have an appointment with my doctor soon about my next step. The medicine is supposed to rid you from pain-but for me it caused it to worsen. In regards to other side effects such as hot flashes, depression, mood swings, etc I don't have any of that! Bottom line, I wish I never would have got this medicine."

Sweetpea77 January 6, 2017

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I suffer from terrible cramps and fibroid. I do take a low dose birth control, that sometimes barely helps my cramps. I was given the 1 dose a month, 6 month treatment after my GYNO could barely do a vaginal ultrasound for one of my visit and I had been having a "period" off and on for over 3 months. The fibroid was so large, it obstructed the movement of the wand thingy. I've been on it for 5 months, the 1st month, I still got my awful period and spent my usual $50 on pads and Advil, just as heavy. But by the 2nd month, bye bye Aunt Flo and it's been pretty okay except for the hot flashes,weight gain, tiredness and the sore hips, soles and ankles. The sore hips, soles & ankles don't hit until the 4th month. The hot flashes just suck!"

CDM85 December 17, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "At age 42 I had partial hysterectomy (uterus only) to remove large fibroids. (daughter was born when I was 32). Dr found stage IV endometriosis. He left my ovaries and said he never wanted to do surgery again - endo everywhere. He suggested Lupron to arrest the Endo. It took me a year to start Lupron. I had to contact a foundation to qualify to receive the medication for free. I did two 3 month shots. I remember some hot flashes, nausea & a few mood swings but it passed fairly quickly. Now, I am 46 and in full menopause. I have osteopenia with some degenerative disc issues. Chronic back pain hurts most when laying on stomach in bed. But I do not use pain meds or H.R.T. I hope the brain fog & other symptoms continue to improve."

Hystomommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I have endometriosis and adenomyosis and pain was scary and I became bedridden some of the days.I had my first Lupron 11.25 mg on June 2016.I am suffering following side effects but I will continue this medication as pain from endo and adeno is worse then side effects. - Swelling at feet - Weight gain - 6kg in 6 months - Increased sweating - Hot flash suffered only first month of this treatment - Fluid retention - Carpal tunnel - Forgetful - Growth of upper lip hair - Slipped disc and compress of the right leg nerves I am going to take second injection soon and after that I will go for Hysterectomy. Btw I am just 36:(."

Ei Phyu Soe December 7, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "During my early 30's, I had 2 laporoscopies and 1 laparotomy for severe endometriosis but had no relief from pain. At 34, I had my 1st Lupron Depot shot. It eliminated my pain completely. The only side effects were hot flashes and irritability. The side effects were EXACTLY what I am experiencing with menopause now at the age of 58. I did not have any joint pain or other side effects. After 6 months of shots, my primary care physician advised that bone loss could result from prolonged treatment, so we stopped treatment. As an alternative, I was put on low dose birth control pills which I took every day to stop my periods. Should have done this to begin with! No pain and no side effects!"

Doinggreat December 1, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with stage 5 Endometriosis, back in the early 90's. My Dr. suggested to me the Lupron shots.. The reason we did not do the surgery at that time, I was young and wanted children, so to help with the awful pain, and miserable time of the month, we started Lupron Injections. Let me say, the side effects were awful! THE HOT FLASHES, I wanted to go out into the snow naked to cool off. The mood swings were out of control, however I was put through the menopause stage and no periods, that was heaven. I was on the injections for 6 months, then after I was off the wicked horrid pain and cycle started. The weight gain was insane. I had to go back on the injections, but since the weight gain, I quit after the 2nd injection."

Nasty Endo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "So I had BAD adverse affects to the Depo Provero shot.. SO bad that I lost my job. I had bad fevers for 6 months.. It felt like my body was on FIRE..No energy and it triggered hypothyroidism in me. I'm only 37. I have finally got to feeling better, the shot is out of my system as of a couple weeks back, losing weight now. No period yet, but my gyno said the next thing he could do is Depo Lupron.. needless to say I'm TERRIFIED! It's only the month shot, but I'm still scared to death. I already suffer with mental illness. I just wanted a hysterectomy to get this nightmare over with, so I could get back to life and never worry about this crap again. If you have any insight, let me know Thx."

RobynDyan November 13, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I got a month shot right when I was about to start period. Period ended up lasting about 12 days. I was told night sweats and menopausal symptoms would happen but I did NOT expect the suicidal urges (I've been diagnosed with depression but it was manageable before this shot), migraines - worst migraines I've ever experienced in my life, nausea, cankles. I've had to take roughly 5 days off of work just in the last 3 weeks and I may even lose my job. I am so irritable and cannot sleep for the life of me. I wake up at least 30 times a night. I'd rather have my excruciating menstrual cramps than go through this ever again. My body did NOT like this AT ALL!"

skahlua912 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "This drug ruined 11 years of my life & continues to do so. I was given no addback therapy, nor told of any side effects, only the leaflet to read at home AFTER I'd already been given 3 month Lupron shot & told it will help my excruciating Endometriosis pain. After reading leaflet in it's entirety I immediately called my OB/GYN & asked about addback, Calcium & lots more questions. I was scared of all side-effects listed on the leaflet & wished I had known about them before (I'd have refused) or that I could UNDO the shot! He told me worst that may happen are few hot flashes. My pain worsened, I got OSTEOPOROSIS, lost several teeth & couldn't walk unasisted for 6mths. THIS IS TRULY A HORRIBLE DRUG!!!"

Alma Ducky (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Started almost a month ago, I just got over my period when I recieved the injection, I started my menses about week and half after injection, they said this is normal, overall pain is a tad worse, the drs also said that would happen, I'm not giving a full rating on it yet, I haven't been on it long enough, they are trying to shrink a 3 inch abdominal wall endometriosis, I will have to stay on the drug for a year, also been prescribed norethindrone, haven't really had the side effects listed with this drug, not sure I will later on or not."

Angmtt (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016