User Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Lupron, Eligard, Lupron Depot, Fensolvi, Lupron Depot-PED, Lupron Depot-Gyn

Leuprolide Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Leuprolide

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I was put on this medication after laparoscopic surgery to remove cysts that was causing me pain. They found out I have stage 2 endo and recommended the lupron with the acetate pill. The first month was fine but the second month my period came early and never stopped. I can deal with the hot flashes but I've currently been bleeding and cramping for 4 weeks and they just keep telling me to wait it out. I'm due for the 2nd shot in July and idk if its going to help at all. I am depressed and the night sweats are a lot to deal with. I would rather have dealt with the endo pain 2 days a month than to have done this.”

MoMoMo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I was put on lupron depot for three months for endometriosis. I received an injection every month. My treatment started in January and ended the first Saturday in March 2020. The side effects weren't all that bad. I got my period on my dose but it eventually went after that. I had however severe headaches that made me dizzy, experienced some mood changes (mostly anger), painless sex, hot flashes (manageable) and joint pains at the end of my last shot. The joint pains are mostly in my knees and fingers but i only experience those after waking from a nap. Once I get up and start moving about they disappear. I now await my cycle to return. It has been 8 eight weeks since my last injection and signs of my period returning are back. I'm spotting and experiencing mild cramps. All in all my experience wasn't bad. Hope this helped someone oxoxox”

Kris February 18, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Ok y’all I admit before taking Lupron Depot 11.25 Mg 3 month injection; I read every review I could find. I was disappointed to find mainly negative reviews but I took a leap of faith and decided to get the injection anyway. Within the first month I truly regret that decision. In tough situations I typically look for the silver lining. However I was not prepared for the extreme fatigue (No more 5am workouts), hot flashes all day every day, night sweats that literally leave my side of the bed soaked (it’s totally gross), but the topper is body aching and hurting down to my muscles and bones like I have the flu...every day going on 63 days straight. I am 38 yrs old, good shape, active when I started the injection I was 115lbs, I am now 130lbs with no energy. Needless to say I am declining the 2nd treatment and look forward to 2-6 months when all of the side effects should fully wear off and hopefully get my normal life back.”

Jensey37 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I feel like I’m one of the few people who has had a POSITIVE experience on the medicine Lupron . I’ve been pain-free from my endometriosis for 3 months, now on my third dose. After my first dose, I had some joint pain and severe hot flashes for a couple weeks, but those symptoms lessened as time went on. My mood has changed for the better while on this medicine, I no longer have pain from the endometriosis, and my only symptom from this medicine are minor hot flashes!! I can’t believe it. This medicine has been a blessing.”

Teeellejay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “The depo has been great for me! At the end of my 3 month shot and the only major side effect I have are the hot flashes (which are controllable). I haven’t had a period, haven’t been moody, minimal weight gain!”

Ang February 4, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “My doctor told me about Lupron Depot, told me the side effects and I was weary because it's an antineoplastic. I started it along with the add back therapy of provera 5mg and had barely any side effects the first few weeks then I slowly started to gain hot flashes and some cramping in my right ovary where my cyst was. My period stopped before the second shot. I will say not to get it in the arm (deltoid) because my first shot was in my right arm and it hurt even a month after. I get my fourth shot on the 18th and I can tell you, the benefits will outweigh the negative side effects I'm having. So far I've had: thinning and loss of hair, my back and neck constantly hurt, hot flashes 2-6 times a day (mainly at night), vaginal dryness which causes a lot of pain during sex, mood changes (I cry a lot)”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I had a very similar experience to Lora C. I was a mess on Lupron and very much not myself. I couldn't control my emotions, I was either dead inside or crying, there was no in between. My night sweats were awful and I was mean all the time. The worst part was probably my memory. I had no recollection of anyone's name, I could recognize their face and the fact that I definitely know them, but never their names if I had met them after I was on Lupron. The shot also hurts like anything and hot flashes are real. I was consistently warm all of the time. Summer was unbearable. Also, the first few months were the worst endo pain I had ever felt. It was terrible. It finally went away after about month 4 or 5 and I was in a normal range of just feeling pressure down there. It wasn't nearly as painful, but always present.”

Minddestroyer · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I had 2 injections of this ruinous dangerous drug - Lupron! 1. NEVER use if have PMDD or PMS! Thyroid disease. Or serious mental issues after child birth aka manic depression. My gracious Dr by passed all the contraindications!! I have spent the past 26 years in an unimaginable state of severe fear! I was diagnosed with hypothalamus, adrenal, and digestive exhaustion. I had to have food supplements to survive! This drug will ruin your MIND! Get a hysterectomy instead!!! It can't cure endometriosis!!!! Get on bio identical hormones after wards! You'll be feeling BETTER WITHOUT uterus, and be able to go on! PLEASE PLEASE do NOT let ANYONE talk you into using this brain altering destroyer! You will NEVER have your full sanity!”

B January 20, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Lupron is a HORRIBLE medication. Many medical "professionals" are not forthcoming with their patients about all the side effects, or the long term side effects that continue well after Lupron is stopped. They also don't tell you it can kill you, or disable your life. This medication sent my life in a tailspin (of course I was lied too- being told all the positive, and common things you will find on any site about Lupron) I will never return back to normal. Just like so many others. I am now having to go for disability thanks to Lupron, and the negligence of of the doctor who gave It to me. Do IN DEPTH RESEARCH! Know your facts! I do not recommend this medication Not only does it damage your body in many ways, but it's put me into a living nightmare!”

Ash January 4, 2020

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I have severe endometriosis and adenomyosis and am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Jan 29th. My doctor wanted me take get a couple of lupron injections so that I can have some pain relief as well as experience some of the symptoms I will be dealing with after my surgery. Well it's been 3 weeks since my first ( and LAST) injection. I have night sweats every night as well as a full aching headache all day long. The headache goes away with Tylenol or sleep but is back the very next day. So I'm hoping the headaches stop once this horrible drug is out of my system. Didn't have headaches until I got this injection!!”

Stephanie December 21, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I have stage 4 endometriosis and adenomyosis. Had emergency surgery 3 years ago due to a large endometrioma causing a total blockage of my sigmoid colon. Everyone's reports on here about unbearable pain and severe bleeding - yup, same for me. I've been bleeding nonstop for over a year now. Received my first 1 month dose of lupron on 11/22/19. The only side effect was a slight uptick in libido the first two weeks during the initial estrogen spike. The last week of the month, I got my period but the bleeding and pain were much reduced from before. Noticed an improvement in pain during intercourse. I am on the add-back and have had no night sweats, hot flashes, or vaginal dryness. No impact on my mood that I could notice. Received my second dose, the 3 month long dose, yesterday (12/20/19). Can't comment yet on the experience, but I'm sure hoping to stop bleeding entirely and eliminate the pain.”

LORA C December 4, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I've finished my third cycle of lupron for endometriosis and it kicked my butt ! Each cycle includes an injection each month, for 6 months. Once I finish Lupron, I slowly have periods and each month the pain gets stronger. Last time was bad, but nothing like this. There's no way of describing it other then "Roid rage", I couldn't control my emotions. 2 1/2 months I was manic, I'm talking fighting fits of rage and sobbing on the floor. which is nothing like myself, I'm almost emotionless. Hot flashes, hair thinning, loss of sex drive. That last one which I hope doesn't affect you, surprisingly is one of the worst. Gained 30 lbs over 6 mths while dieting, Even with an extremely strict diet I have only managed to loose 2 pounds and it's been 2 and a half months since my last injection. All in all I'm not sure if I will go through another treatment of Lupron as all the side effects that affected me seem to get more intense each time.”

em October 17, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Using Lupron depo for endometriosis. Have an injection once a month, have just had my third injection. Missed period by 2 weeks so hopefully no painful period this month. I have had my last two periods but they were nowhere near as painful as the ones I used to suffer with. I am experiencing hot flashes, quite regularly but they only last 10/15 minutes so it’s something I can cope with and also I am going through stages of feeling quite anxious and depressed but hopefully these symptoms subside and this injection helps me for the future as I’ve recently spoken to my doctor who said this will help fertility in the future as I am 20 and have always wanted children something I thought was just going to be a dream when first diagnosed and had my fallopian tube removed at 17.”

Shawn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I had severe endometriosis. I had the kind of pain that makes you blackout. I would bleed all over my chair at work. I wear only black or navy pants. So far I've taken 3 shots and thankfully I am pain free. I have no period. But, the hot flashes are HORRIBLE. I'm always hot and tired. I don't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. I've gone as far as putting ice packs on my bed so that I can sleep for a few hours. I've gained about 35 pounds in 9 months, my hair is thinning I ache all over, my vision has decreased so much, I seem to forget everything if I don't write it down. I think I got the entire list of side effects, however, that pain before taking Lupron? No way! I literally shake when I think about it. I'll try to manage.”

Singer81 September 4, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “So I’ve been on Lupron Depot with an add back for 10 months. I have severe endometriosis. I would bleed severely every month for at least two weeks if not longer with the worst pain of my life. I wanted to die. I definitely wasn’t living. The smallest movements and I’d be soaked in blood. The pain was literally unbearable and I’d have to make a trip to the emergency room. Yes, I do have side effects from the Lupron Depot. Headaches, tired and drained, and for a few weeks out of my three month cycle, my body hurts so bad I can barely walk around. But these side effects have nothing on the pain and depression I was suffering before. I had no life at all. Everything revolved around my period. It’s the only thing that’s given me relief.”

Tired of this · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2019

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “This made my pain much worse. It is the worst experience I've ever had with a medication! The side effects are much worse than the endo pain! This medicine shouldn't be given to women for endo! I have been in the worse pain and depression that I've ever had in my entire life thanks to this medication”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I received my first shot almost 2 weeks ago. I am on the 3 month dosage. Absolutely no side effects the first couple days, but pelvic/abdominal pain began day 3. My period came as normal on day 12 of getting the shot. I was really hoping to not have any at all. I will gladly deal with the more common side effects if my pain and period will go away! Only a few bouts of nausea and moments where I’ll feel so sad. I’m 39, no kids, and have been suffering with debilitating, life altering pain since 12! I’m praying this helps!”

Teresa · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2018

Lupron Depot-Gyn (leuprolide): “My endometriosis pain did go away with the Lupron! However I had major side effects! Swollen eyelids, nausea, exhaustion, joint pain, headaches, and my last symptom was hip bursitis which I then stopped Lupron! 3 months later my endometriosis pain is back and now have hip bursitis in both hips! Climbing upstairs is agony for me! Between my knee pain and hip bursitis my legs feel like they are going to give out completely! I’m praying this isn’t permanent for me!”

Lala November 5, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I will say I virtually have no periods and have had maybe 3 endo pain days that don’t come close to what the pain used to be. NOW the side effects are horrid! BUT I’ll take the side effects over the pain in periods. My bones ache not unbearable but uncomfortable. The night sweats bad but bearable. I’m tired lots but I can function with some caffeinated tea & b12 for energy. Mood swings and little depression/anxiety. It’s not intense depression for me like nothing that makes me want to harm myself it’s just more of a dark cloud following you around. So if you have mental “instability” before taking the drugs make sure you talk to your doctor. I did not lose hair and my hair did NOT thin/fall out. I did not gain weight. The side effects still make the medicine worth taking because I have no pain or real periods. I get the shot every 3 months (I’m on 9 months) and take a pill that comes in the shot package. The pill is taken daily, shot is every 3 months for me. Goodluck!”

Lindz · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I’m a 24-year-old female who’s suffered from terrible endometriosis pain; my periods left me crumpled up on the ground, moaning in pain, to the point that I seriously wished I were dead. I am not exaggerating in the slightest. Sometimes I’d get really dizzy and hear an intense buzzing in my ears, right before I almost passed out. The pain was unbearable; I often had to miss school and work because of my period. I recently underwent surgery and was recommended Lupron. I read horrible reviews about it for weeks leading up to my doctor appointment and was terrified to try it, but so far I haven’t had any problems other than hot flashes (and that’s MUCH preferable to the agonizing pain I used to be in). Of course, it’s only been a few months since I got the injection, so we’ll see...but so far it’s been great! Don’t let the reviews scare you; if you’re in good health like I am, you probably won’t experience serious complications or side effects. Hope this helps!”

Melissa September 27, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “ I had severe cervical dysplasia requiring a portion of my cervix be removed, chronic pain, PCOS, and was diagnosed with severe endometriosis following laproscopic removal of many adhesions from my uterus and scarring of my ovaries. My OB recommended I do six to nine months of Depot lupron after my laproscopy to keep the Endo at bay and help reduce scarring. I started out with the one month shot and felt okay, a little achey and some hot flashes. I went back to got the three month shot. I was miserable but my OB really pushed me to keep going with it. I am on my second three month shot and I am not me anymore. I am moody, extremely depressed, my bones hurt, I've gained 20lbs, I'm fatigued, anxious, have insomnia, headaches, and have had horrible gastrointestinal symptoms. It is ruining my marriage. My work performance has suffered. I am foggy and forgetful. Everything is an effort. I will not be getting the last shot and hope this hasn't caused irreversible damage!!!”

Me2 August 31, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Took the 3 month lupron depot shot just one time. It's now 3 months since I had the shot, my reasons for taking this poison is due to extreme PMDD condition, which I also have endo, but the PMDD outweighs! So all my symptoms since the very 1st week of the injection have been severe hot flashes, night sweats, more fatigue-whole body aches. Just in the last month my hair has been falling out! Very dry, thin now- I'm extremely moodier than before, This was the worst thing I've done & I'm super mad at all these doctors who really have no clue what they're doing to people. We are all their guinea pigs. I went 4 days ago to the doctor & he put me on premaire ( hormone replacement). I'm waiting in misery to see if this added med helps. So far- the new med has had me in tears everyday for no reason, a massive migraine and overall loosing my mind! Never ever take lupron! Just do an internet search on lupron victims.”

eab123 · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Only a few weeks in and I already hate this. I’m 19 and was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis. My doctor said the Lupron shot is my only option in regards for treatment, before a hysterectomy. I’ve been on birth control for 5 years prior for intense pain but it didn’t help at all. 2 weeks in, my bones hurt, I’m constantly hot and nauseous. Depression I feel is on its way. I can’t stop crying and I feel very sad about life. Which is unlike me, I’m a very positive person. My pain is also more intense than before. I feel very helpless because I don’t want to have a hysterectomy at 19 but I hate this medication already. I don’t know what else to do”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “Awful side effects. Put me in menopause at 35. My hair is still thin 4 years later. Toxic stuff”

EC449 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): “I am 25 and received 9 months of injections with Lupron for endometriosis and had a terrible experience with it. First was the symptom flare the first month which made my pain even worse and I missed 3 weeks of work out of 4 weeks. Then even with add back therapy, I had hot flashes, trouble sleeping, severe pain with sex, and bad acne. And it did nothing to help the pain I was having. I stopped this medication after 9 months and even now, one year after stopping, I have residual digestive issues and continued vulvodynia which started when I was on Lupron. Many doctors seem to use this drug as a first line treatment against Endo but it is brutal and is only a temporary treatment”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)