User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Leuprolide Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 132 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Endometriosis

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I would like to address women who already struggle with depression, insomnia, or mood disorders, like myself. If you're already bad off don't do this to yourself, it might be the final "push". I got the 3month shot (+add-back) and it made me suicidal. My moods went from extreme anger to sobbing, insomnia, HOT FLASHES, and my left arm kept going numb in daily activities! This went on for a month, at 2 months I leveled out. Not far into the 3'rd month the hot flashes came back, cold sweats (felt like drug withdrawal), and my pain was back! I went to my Ob/gyn 1 week early because of this to find I had grown 11 new painful cysts! It didn't even work, and to stop it is also unpleasant (withdrawals). Worst med decision I ever made! HELL!"

Seelenlos (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with endometriosis during an appendectomy, but due to cluster headaches hormones were contraindicated. Eventually Lupron was advised. My mom, who NEVER had any menstrual cramps, told me horror stories and I reacted as usual and agreed to the Lupron injections, and I have lived to regret it. Like so many others, I had severe menopausal symptoms, mood swings that made my fiance think I was bipolar, and attempted suicide twice in a 3 month period, which is very unlike me. It caused weight gain, which I'd never had, and threw me into early menopause at the age of 46, 8 years after treatment. Now I'm suffering from acute hypertension and I'm at risk for a stroke, which can't be attributed to anything else. But hey, no cramps!"

bitchgoddess June 11, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "My first 3 weeks on Lupron were miserable. Painful, the heaviest period I've ever had, and just overall regretting my decision. It's now been about 2 months and I'm feeling amazing! Hot flashes and forgetfulness, yes. But the pain is almost completely gone. My pain had me bedridden some days and now my worst days just require a heating pad. I can't believe the turn around."

KCMO15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "HORRIBLE side effects and it was not worth it because it was something that didn't even cure me or made me feel any better."

Patricakes17 April 17, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I've only had one dose of Lupron; before going on it I did my research. One side effect is HORRIBLE insomnia (which I have). I know not every single change in my body can be blamed on the Lupron. I have Endometriosis and the Lupron basically puts you in a state of menopause. Headaches, insomnia, sweats, mood swings were very bad the first couple of weeks; now my stomach hurts! So I think I can pick and choose what the medicine is responsible for and the state of chemical menopause is doing to me."

Frisbee2004 April 14, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I want to share my experience with this drug because I truly believe it's of utter importance. My first BC was Depo PROVERA. I bled right through this, and yes it's common for the first year, also lighter periods. But mine never went away, then brown bleeding. I was switched to the implant, for other reasons, and the same problem still occurred. Then I was put on BC pills to control the bleeding process. All in all, I was backing up my uterine wall with more blood every time I had a period. Depo Lupron was injected on Jan 18 I bled out all my old blood in a week. I have not had a period or brown bleeding since. My last shot was given March 18. So far, 0 breakthrough bleeding. I love Depo Lupron"

KC813 April 3, 2016

"I have severe PMDD and have experienced debilitating symptoms directly associated to my cycle for the last 15 years, with the last 5 being to the extreme. The pain I experience for two weeks out of the month was unbearable and the rage uncontrollable. Finally, I found a gynecologist who specializes in PMDD and she suggested we give this shot a try for 1 month. I'm getting ready to head into my second month. For the first time in 5 years, I went through this whole month with absolutely no down time, no rage, no crying, no shame, no aplogies. I stayed my true self the whole month. This is a major improvement. I had some very mild anxiety, joint pains, lower back pain, stomach cramping. I'm so relieved that I found a way to get my life back."

ChristineME624 April 3, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with endometriosis and polycistic ovaries when I was just 16 years old. I'm now 22 and I've gone though 9 birth control pills and 9 different gynos. I had a laporoscip surgery when I was 17, which removed scar tissue and large cysts from my ovaries. After the surgery I was on birth control (seasonique which is wonderful for endometriosis) and up until a year ago I haven't had many issues with pains. I started to get the pains again, along with bleeding for 3 months on birth control, so I went ahead with Lupron. After reading up on it, I was hesitant, but moved forward. It stopped the bleeding, but the pain is still there and now my joints ache every day and also depression and suicidal thoughts are always there. Do not do it"

cakeandbacon March 2, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide): "I took it 8 years ago for fibroids, cysts, and severe endometriosis. I was on Lupron for a year after trying other options. I had hot flashes and joint pain, plus a lot of the other symptoms mentions. Calcium and Vit D helped with joint pain. The symptoms remained consistent while I was on the Lupron, however even with the side effects, the year that I was on Lupron was the best I have ever felt. FINALLY no more debilitating pain. I got pregnant after the 6 month weening off period and had two kids. If endo is an inconvenience for you, maybe not the best drug. If endo is ruining your life, some side effects and symptoms are worth getting your life back. I am on it again and grateful that there is something out there that gives me relief"

Trying again (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Desperate for relief after 2 surgeries within 3 months of each other, I was so hopeful about this medication. I ignored the reviews and got the shot (11.75 dosage administered every 3 months). I regret my choice so much. First, the expense! Even with insurance, my out of pocket was $1100. The mood swings were so bad that I became suicidal. I've gained 20 pounds that exercise and nutrition can't shed. The hot flashes were controlled by an OTC called Estroven. The pain did subside, but only for the 1st month after each shot (I got 2 shots total). Now, the pain is back and worse than ever and I'm only on month 5 of the treatment. Surgery # 3 scheduled in 2 weeks. This med is NOT worth the side effects."

Desperate and Disappointed February 20, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "When I took this it was very painful. The shots messed up my muscles and my condition got so much worse after the 6 month period. I had to get surgery and lost my first organ. I'm not saying don't try it for endo but be wary when you do. You're supposed to have more intense symptoms in the first part but it is supposed to get better. Mine did not, it only got worse."

Sidney kay February 16, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. This med saved my life. Mimicked a hysterectomy. Now I know that removing the ovaries is the answer. Scheduled...."

Shannyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

Lupron Depot 3.75 mg (leuprolide): "So my gyn started me on the lupron a little over a week ago. I have had some horrible mood swings, severe pain worse then when I began, swelling in my hands and feet and I started to bleed very heavily late last night. Has anyone else had these experiences? Did they get better over time? My biggest worry is I suffer from anxiety and depression prior to the injections. Things have been getting worse is this normal or should I be worried?"

enquiring mind February 9, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I had a laparoscopy done march 2015 and they determined stage 4 endemetriosis. Before then I had maybe 1 week out of a month without pain for over a year, it was horrible. My first injection was in September 2015. I had a laparotomy in October 2015, the doctor did an amazing job, removed all the scar tissue and cyst's. My second injection was December 2015 and the hot flashes are brutal. I am now on a low dose of estrogen to help with the hot flashes. It has helped but not fully. I highly recommend the injection if you want to be pain free, the hot flashes are brutal but way better then the pain."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis after my 1st laparoscopy in june 2015. Following my 1st surgery i started Lupron injections in hopes to slow the endo growth. I had 3 rounds of Lupron causing terrible side effects which included but not limited to: fatigue, night sweats, mood swings, joint pain, severe abdominal pain, lack in sex drive, natural lubrication, anxiety.. Dec 2015 my 2nd laparoscopy and 6mths of Lupron left me with stage 3 Endometriosis. Doc wanted to continue with 6 MORE months of Lupron and another surgery. I declined such offer. I am very unhappy with how this drug effected my life.My body will never be the same after Lupron. Dont take this drug."

pose (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "The side-effects have lasted years and Lupron itself caused depression. And I gained over 40 pounds rapidly within three months after use. It gave me seizures, and I had blackouts on TOP of the usual side-effects. I was hospitalized for three days because of the seizures. NOT worth it! I'm still plagued by the ungodly side-effects every single day! Worst decision I ever made. NEVER again!"

Liebora January 19, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I had been suffering for years. Horrible pain,cramps all day and night and meds NEVER took the severe pain away. The bleeding was excessive. Never had a light day. My period lasted for a month sometimes almost 2months. At the age of 15,I was taken to the gyn which at that time was diagnosed with ovarian cysts and a bad case of endometriosis. Not only was the cysts bad but the endometriosis had grown all over my ovaries, in my belly button and was making it hard for me to move my bowels. The doctor politely said well you have a bad case here and you need surgery so I said ok well when, and he said TOMORROW. So surgery happened and not even 6months later I was having surgery again. I'm 34 and its all back"

Lilbit296 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 7, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was on Lupron for a year (2006 -2007) and I have never felt the same. I am going on 50 but my body feels 100 years old. I was once described as a vivacious and enthusiastic individual. Today, I can barely keep up with friends and family (many of them are older than me). "

l84appt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2016

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Don't let the online reviews cheat you out of a better life! I actually delayed getting Lupron by a year because I was so scared by the online reviews and reports of adverse reactions/symptoms. However, my experience was wonderful. My doctor put me on the ad-back and I did have a FEW hot flashes initially, but I would take those 1,000x over the pain my endometriosis caused me. I also took calcium to offset any bone density loss. Please, Please, Please work with your doctor to decide if Lupron is right for YOU. I did it and now I am on my way to restoring my quality of life."

Sarah2016 January 2, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide): "This drug should be taken off the market, It kills your immune system and the side effects never wear off. I had three injections in 2002 and am still suffering from what has happened to my body. The joint pain and hot flashes are unbearable. This medication has robbed me of enjoyment of life. It's only purpose is money for Big Phar and ease of surgery for the doctor. No Benefit to the patient at all. Do not take this, it will ruin your life."

cj200220022002 November 22, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "This drug, ruined my joints, chronic pain, I lost an inch in height, and my endometrosis was only gone for three years. I have gained 40 pounds, now have lost my mobility, can no longer dance or go out, im only 36 but i feel twice as old. I would Never have taken it of I had known it was a chemotherapy drug for prostate Cancer."

MendoBarbie November 20, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I wish I knew then what I knew now. If I knew 20 years later I would still have side effects I never ever would have taken the doses. My doctor boosted this up like the fix."

Side effected (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I really feel it is important to share my experience with this drug. I did extensive research before making my decision to start the Lupeneta pack. I was scared and I prayed to have a good experience since most reviews for this drug are aweful. I am grateful to be able to give this drug TWO THUMBS UP! I am taking one month shots combined with the add back pills. The first month I experienced NO increase in symptoms. I bleed for the first month and a half, now my constant bleeding is gone! For the first month I experienced very mild hot flashes, now none at all. My quality of life is 110% better and I am pain free. I am so grateful i took a chance on this medication. I finally got a break from the constant pain and exhaustion from endo."

cdawhg November 13, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I have been taking this for 6 months now, about to start my 7th and I love it! I will say the first month or so, I was really wondering what had I gotten myself into. But now, I am so glad I did it. I take the 1 a month not the 3 months shot. I haven't had a period in 5 months, I haven't cramped in 5 months. I was having hot flashes before I started taking this and I will say that at times they are way worse but I would much rather deal with hot flashes then be huddled over in my bed bc the cramps are so bad that I can't even function. I do understand that some people have bad experiences with things and some people don't It is all up to your body. Everyone's body is different. I hope seeing a good review like this will help."

Ambear November 2, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I have taken luproid deposit 4months ago. For me its waste of money and time. One good thing is no periods but i still have heavy pain in intercorse.thinking to go for homeopathy"

Lahri (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2015