User Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Prostate Cancer

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-PED, Fensolvi Camcevi

Leuprolide has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 80 ratings for the treatment of Prostate Cancer. 45% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Leuprolide rating summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Prostate Cancer.

Reviews for Leuprolide

Bill · May 21, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "Massive radical prostrate surgery 1997. Clear of the return of cancer until 2016, low PSA of 18 when discovered at my annual physical. No radiation, only Eligard every six months. Here it is 2020 and I am 86 years of age. Only side effects are increase in weight (15 pounds), low energy level, and increased breast size. Never hot flashes or sweating. COVID-19 has keep my wife and I house bound for the past 3 months and we enjoy life in states of happiness, bliss and joy. If one lives long enough, prostrate cancer will eventually put you under. Too many symptoms to make a doctor's appointment. When I think it is cancer of the wrist, it's arthritis. When I think it's cancer of lumbar region, it's vertebrae disks. So why think you're going to live forever. Enjoy the love your wife, children and friends offer and learn to enjoy how cancer progresses during the last phase of life. My wife has NEVER heard me complain."

Wally · Taken for less than 1 month · January 9, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "Have had one month injection of Eligard and will not be taking another. Side effects including hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, joint pains, mood swings, memory loss - I get the lot. Worst decision I ever made and hope the effects wear off ASAP. I would rather take my chances than be half the person I am now. Reading other comments where there seems to be no ending to the side effects gives me little hope for a reprieve. Oncologist gave me no impression I would be suffering like this. Just "this is the standard treatment" - it does not cure the disease just supposedly slows it. Personally I would rather have less time and good quality of life."

Peartree · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 19, 2019

Eligard (leuprolide) "I am 68 years old. Had 6 mo. injection August 2018. Dr. told me hot flashes and night sweats were the side effects. That I could handle. What I could not handle was the loss of cognitive functions, mood swings, loss of muscle mass, weight gain, thoughts of suicide, total ED, shrunken penis and testicles. It has destroyed my life. I have still not recovered all of the cognitive functions I lost, can not get rid of the extra weight and to top it all off, my cancer was not to the point I needed the hormone. Eligard may have saved lives, but to me the treatment has destroyed my quality of life."

Bart · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 2, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "Diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2019, had a 6 month Lupron shot in May followed by 45 radiation treatments ending in early September. Went on vacation and able to do 2-3 mile hikes over rough terrain with only a little fatigue. Went in for second shot early November and they changed me to Eligard. They said it was virtually the same product. Within 2 weeks I developed intense pain in my hips that has not gone away. Can hardly walk to the mailbox any longer due to the pain. Dealing with mood swings, minor depression, trouble sleeping and have gained 30 pounds. Due to go back next Wednesday for another 6 month Eligard shot. Not going to happen."

Conmgr · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 2, 2013

Lupron (leuprolide) "Have been on Lupron for about 2 years and my stage 4 prostate cancer is now in remission. My prostate cancer specialist gets all the credit and kept side effects to a minimum with the help of other meds and supplements. I recommend Lupron."

olscout · September 17, 2014

Lupron (leuprolide) "Had my first Lupron shot before 45 days of radiation. Having hot flashes,muscle and joint pain but not too bad. Doing the shot every 3 months. Psa went from 11.5 to 0.1. Next shot coming up in couple weeks. Don't have a problem with the shot or after having it. I think Lupron has been helping me, but everyone has different experiencies with it. Good luck to all you prostate cancer people."

Rob · February 25, 2021

Eligard (leuprolide) "Got the results back, in September 2020 had a biopsy (thanks for the delay covid) came back with Gleeson score of 9 and Grade 5! They tried to operate but too much scar tissue. Next was the oncologist appointment who said we need to do something now and said eligard should stop it growing . What they didn't say was that I would put weight on, the night sweats make you put covers on, take covers of all night, Getting up to pee up to 9 times a night, Feeling lethargic, Dark thoughts and mood swings, An emotional wreck. Went to the gp who put me on anti depression tablets which have amplified my emotional state.... told the wife tonight I'm not taking any more anti depressants, not doing eligard and not going to a planning day. I want to go out on my terms feeling like myself not juiced up on this rubbish. Facts are I could have some good years left without medication or go on feeling wound up and unintentionally pushing away those that care."

walking dead....... · Taken for 5 to 10 years · March 5, 2014

Lupron (leuprolide) "I was 50, had my prostate removed then let it go at 55. Had a PSA above 400, my weight dropped to 105lbs thought I was going to die then had 15 radaiaton treatments and started Lupron shots. PSA dropped, I came back to life now I an 63 still getting Lupron shots every 6 months sure there are some side effects but its better than being dead if you have cancer. I hope something works for you."

geezer46 · Taken for 1 to 2 years · March 6, 2021

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) "I completely agree with Rob, if i had have known the consequences of taking this drug, I would probably done the same as him. It takes away everything that being a man is. He does not however mention the sex word, from my first injection 5 years ago there has not been any, plenty of everything else that he states but no kind of love making. Probably he did not take enough to cause e/d, if not good on him. Not enough information is given to us about the FULL effects of this drug, men are not made to live a good QOL without testosterone, because after you have been castrated that is it. As far as I can tell very few men have good sex and real happiness after having the drug."

Steelie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 26, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "I was given a six-month injection on Eligard 45mg, then 3 days later I had a CV event on me in the emergency room. Other side effect that Eligard has given me is I've had bone pain, severe neuropathy, night sweats, night terrors, brain fog, confusion, anxiety and anger."

clauscn · December 10, 2009

Lupron (leuprolide) "I have been receiving Lupron or Eligard every 6 months for ten years to help reduce the growth of prostate cancer. Early research reports indicated that one side effect might be peripheral neuropathy. That started to develop in my feet shortly after I was put on Lupron. Loss of bone mass has also been associated with Lupron. I have begun taking 1200 units of calcium VitaminD each day. My PSA scores have all continued to be below .1. I have no major complaints, and have learned to live with the side effects."

pofoto · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 25, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014 at 64 years old. My doctor said my best option for getting rid of the cancer was to have it removed. I went through the surgery in August 2014, but the cancer was not gone. I had 38 radiation treatments in 2015, and that kept my PSA low for two years. It went up to 1.0, and the doctor started giving me Eligard injections every 3 months beginning in 2018. I have severe depression with dark thoughts concerning my death eventually from this cancer. I also have weight gain, and no sexual desires at all. I have no toleranceor patience and it makes me very irritable. I must admit it works as it has kept my PSA below 1.0 for the last two years! I don't think I will take it much longer. My doctor is saying they are looking for a different treatment soon. I have no idea what that will be. It has taken all the joy of life out of me and I am not interested in almost anything..."

mdo333 · January 4, 2012

Lupron (leuprolide) "Had 1st shot 11/10/11, PSA was at 182, tested 3 weeks later, PSA had dropped to 3.3. Have prostate, metastatic bone and lymphatic cancer. This combined with radiation therapy, greatly improved my mobility (pelvis, hips fully involved, as well as on and inside spine). Side effects are hot flashes and night sweats, but other than that manageable for the relief I've gotten."

stressed out wife · August 18, 2018

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) "My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer stage 4 in 2014. His prostate was removed and later started on Lupron depot every 3 months. His PSA went down to almost nil. Over the next four years he has been on Lupron according to his PSA levels. Though Lupron does keep his PSA levels down, his mood swings/anger and his irrational thinking has stressed our relationship. He is mean with comments to me and his actions. He needs Lupron to live but it has killed our relationship. The Oncologist who gave him his first Lupron injection, did tell us, that one of the side effects of Lupron was that it could increase moods and anger. I am stressing to you, wives, that Lupron is one ugly drug. It makes people who are receiving Lupron depots very miserable people and their partners/spouses very stressed out, scared at times, lonely and sad for what is happening in their relationship. Lupron gives the patient, quantity of life but not quality of life!"

WWII Vet · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 18, 2015

Lupron (leuprolide) "Have been getting monthly Lupron 7.5 mg injections since July 2014 (just had my 8th injection). No hot flashes; some mood swings and I recently started having arm and leg cramps a few times a week. Taking Casodex 50 mg daily as well, so it's hard to know which to blame. PSA was 205 when I started these meds and is now 0.03. I believe the complete lack of hot flashes may be due to receiving the monthly vs 3 or 6-month injection dose. I hope this information helps others."

Jean · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 24, 2019

Eligard (leuprolide) "Been taking Eligard for 5 X every 3 months, just over a year. Prostate out 10 years ago. Radiation 45x about 6 years ago. Eligard effective at reducing PSA. Occasional hot flashes. Tire easily. Often light headed. Little tolerance for BS. More headaches. Breast enlargement. Thinking about stopping use."

Oace56 · February 3, 2014

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) "Started treatment 12/2011 ended 12/2013. The PSA went down as expected for is the purpose of treatment, now waiting for side effects to end, which have been: loss of libido, hot flashes specially at night or after a meal, some sweating, loss of body hair, loss of muscle mass, joint and bone pain, tiredness, difficulty to start almost any quest, weight gain, chest/man breast augmentation. Have been taking vitamin D plus calcium, glucosamine, started an exercise program that has helped with muscle buildup, and also helps with better mood, by prescription have taken 3 applications of calcium to the vein. Have had excellent support from wife, have trust my Doctors and first of all God my father."

Rustymart · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 6, 2015

Lupron (leuprolide) "Prostate removed - huge 350 cc- Gleason 7, PSA 15, radiation for 8 weeks, Lupron every 3 months for one year, every 6 months for the next year and a half. PSA has been less than 0.01 since initial radiation. Weakness, memory problems and hot flashes but no cancer. Treatment is worth the side effects. I feel very lucky. "

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 29, 2021

Eligard (leuprolide) "My side effects from Eligard is extreme bone pain, joint pain, testicular pain, my penis shriveled up like I had jumped in ice water and stayed icy cold for several days, night sweats, night terrors, nightmares, brain fog. I had a CV event 3 days after wound up in the emergency room with extreme difficulty and pain urinating, especially at night. According to the manufacturer this is supposed to be used for palliative care Well I guess they don't know the meaning of palliative care I wish I had never started this treatment"

Screw cancer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 13, 2020

Eligard (leuprolide) "Husband got Eligard shot to minimize size of prostate to prepare for radiation with 6 month follow up. When he returned the cancer had spread to his bones and PSA went from 32 to 182 in those 6 months with no additional PSA tests given. The shot was ineffective and we were not informed that it could metastasis to other body parts giving us a choice of a different treatment that would not limit his life.... Demand monthly PSAs!!!"

Tom 627 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 25, 2019

Eligard (leuprolide) "Been on Eligard for two months and it has taken all the joy out of life. There will be no second injection. My life expectancy is better with cancer than with Eligard and I'm fighting such dark thoughts almost everyday, afraid I'm going to hurt someone, the mood swings are unpredictable and scary. Sex is becoming near impossable all the time."

Anonymous · June 11, 2012

Lupron (leuprolide) "My cancerous prostate was removed when I was 65, 6 years ago. I receive a 22.5 mg Lupron injection about every 3 months. My PSA decreases each time from about 2 to undectable. The injection area is sore for 2-3 days after each injection. I have perhaps a dozen relatively minor hot flashes daily. I take 4 venlafaxine hcl 75 mg tablets daily to curtail hot flashes."

Mr Chuck · October 26, 2016

Lupron (leuprolide) "Diagnosed with stage 4 with PC in my right hip. PSA for years was between 2.0 to 3.5. Went from 3.5 to 29 in one year ! I encourage all with a PSA of over 3.0 get a bone density test ! Started Luprone 30 day shot on July 5th 2016. First 3 months went from 29 to 3 so headed in the right direction. Bone pain reduced after first shot by more than 75%. Hot flashes around the clock roughly 10 to 12 a day with a intensity level of about a 5 or 6. Very annoying but tolerable. Miscellaneous aches and pains in joints and muscles. Occasional foggy headed and definitely wake up to much to pee. I'm trying Flo-max now I hope to see some improvement. Fatigue is real! I can't tell if this is harder on my Family than me! So far so good. God Bless to ALL!"

65 year old Marvin with PC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · November 22, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide) "I am experiencing the following side-effects: Breast enlargement, reduction of size of testicles, complete ED, multiple hot flashes hourly, and a mental fog that prevents clear thinking. These were all expected side effects and came as no surprise. Additional unexpected side effects include: rapid pulse rate, elevated BP, breathlessness, short term memory loss, extreme and uncontrollable emotional outbursts (uncontrollable crying over minimally emotional issues), and sleep deprivation (1-2 hours total sleep which could account for the emotional issues). Of additional concern are anecdotal statements by others claiming no reduction of any side effects even after years of removal from follow-up injections of Lupron. My concern is great enough to request suspension of this drug, even at the cost of an elevated PSA with a corresponding resurgence of the cancer. I know there are additional drugs I can take to counteract some of these side-effects, but I would rather not complicate the situation with even more medication. My PSA stands at .3 as of this writing, and I would withdraw my request were it to increase to 4.0, however continued living with this nightmare drug is not my idea of life."

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 3, 2018

Eligard (leuprolide) "I was prescribed Eligard by an oncologist due to a suspicion of prostate cancer. I was told my PSA of 80 was almost a certain indication of prostate cancer. Seven months ago, in February I was given a three month injection.. Within an hour I was nauseated. I vomited for three hours. After that the effects of Eligard began to take effect. Hot flashes going from sweating to cold within minutes loss of libido for myself, no sexual satisfaction for my wife. Chest constriction Reduced ability to handle stress Disrupted sleep due to fluctuating temperature. Final comment: I conclude that no man would ever prescribe Eligard to another man if he had taken it himself. It is not a cure for prostate cancer, and it affected my life so negatively, I would never take it again, even if I knew I had cancer, which I don’t. I am writing to the Chief Medical Officer of my province that this drug is a poor choice for any purpose."

Learn more about Prostate Cancer