User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Camila, Aygestin, Errin, Ortho Micronor, Norlyda, Jencycla, Deblitane, Incassia, Jolivette, Nora-Be, Heather, Sharobel, Lyleq, Lyza, Tulana Norlyroc …show all brand names

Norethindrone has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 1,247 ratings on Drugs.com. 33% of those users who reviewed Norethindrone reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.5
Summary of Norethindrone reviews 4.9 1,247 reviews

Reviews for Norethindrone

Em Mom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 13, 2021

For Birth Control: “I've been on this for birth control since about after the birth of my kid 11 months ago - first time on a hormonal BC. Other than a little more than average post partum bleeding, haven't had my period. Seems to work fine (not pregnant, check on and off). It IS hard to take it at exactly the same time everyday (mostly if you forget your phone with an alarm or the pill - and DONT forget daylight -savings) but my CNM said if you miss it by >2 hrs use a backup form of BC for 2 weeks and then you're good. So far not so bad.”

vanillathunder May 12, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was prescribed this pill as birth control, and I am not a fan (personally). Pros: I have not gotten pregnant, no weight gain Cons: longer/same duration of period, did not help with my cramping, low sex drive, breakouts, the WORST mood swings I have ever experienced. I am a pretty level person, but on this pill I have been SO irritable and emotional. I had to talk to my doctor because I didn't understand what was going on, and she wanted to prescribe and antidepressant. Everything in my life has remained the same - no changes in lifestyle or diet - I concluded it was the new birth control and stopped immediately. It has been almost two weeks and I am feeling back to normal. Everyone has different reactions and different brain chemistry, I am sure this is a good option for some women out there so always consult with a professional and listen to your own body. I am more interested in exploring other methods of contraception as my experience with the cons outweighed the pros.”

Prickly · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2021

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “It’s been 75 days of constant bleeding - from a few days of using a pantyliner with a few spots of brown blood to couple days of needing medium pad for red blood then back to spotting then back to slightly heavier bleed. Basically non stop spotting and bleeding. And I’m sick of using hygiene products EVERY DAY.”

Sprbty · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

Jencycla (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I'd been taking the combo pill for about 16 years and a doctor finally told me they won't give me them anymore because of the migraines I was getting. She recommended I try this one. The first 2 months was rough, breasts pain, random bleeding, MAJOR BRAIN FOG. I see that confusion is a symptom on the side effects lists, fine, but I feel like a different person. I Can't focus, hard time remembering, can't find the words, have a hard time explaining things. Has anyone else had these brain fog symptoms?”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I have been on this due to not being able to take estrogen based bc. I will give this a pretty positive review with 1 downside. Positives: Extremely light periods (2-3 days tops of spotting and nothing more) when taken regularly. Lost 10lbs the first 2 months. No PMS what so ever. No headaches. It actually has helped them so much because prior my cycles were so short I was constantly PMSing. Negatives: I have noticed I am a bit more fatigued. I have always been go go go but occasionally now I seem to want to nap after work. Breast tenderness is a bit more some months but nothing terrible. If you miss a pill or late you will have breakthrough bleeding . Its not much but it can come at any time. My experience in general hadn't been so bad and I am pretty happy on it.”

Kaye January 4, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was very scared to start these pills due to the horror stories I've read but I went with my gut and started them a month ago. I was on Tri Lo Milli and it had me bleeding nonstop, some days light some days heavy but bleeding everyday, so I told myself let's do it. I couldn't see it being any worse than bleeding everyday and mind you I'm a married woman and I was tired of telling my husband it's just until my body gets on track. He was understand but I wasn't at all. I hated the fact that this was everyday for me. So anyway I've been taking these like told everyday straight and on time. I stopped bleed after 4 days and I haven't bleed since. Not one drop! I haven't had mood swings, no headaches, no hair loss and no appetite loss or gain. I'm just normal. I do believe some are not doing as the direction say "EVERY DAY ON TIME" and it causes issues as far as bleeding goes but for me its working and I'm happy with them as of now. If anything changes I'll be sure to update you guys!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This birth control Errin is unbearable!!!! I have two to three periods a month! Also I have huge blood clots on this pill. I’m so sick of spending money on hygiene products. I’m at my wits ends with this. Avoid this pill!”

mandymae171 May 9, 2021

Norlyda (norethindrone) for Endometriosis: “I’ve been on norlyda (norethindrone) for almost 2 months now. My doctor prescribed it to help with my severe periods due to endometriosis and I was bleeding insanely bad and having the severe cramps. Ever since I started this I have yet to have a period. I take it at the same time everyday, the most I’ve gone is 12 mins past my pill time. The only side effects I've had was some acne for the first couple weeks but now my skin has stayed clear, my boobs are slightly smaller, I am slightly more bloated (but I do have IBS and endo) and I had some trouble sleeping for like the first 2 weeks but nothing crazy, just had a hard time falling asleep. I have depression and anxiety and this medication has not affected it. I think the key to this pill is taking it at the same time everyday. So far I would rate it 10/10”

Layla · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2020

Sharobel (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “22 Y Female here and so far so good on Sharobel! I’ve been on all types of birth control since about 17 years old. I started out on ortho tri cyclen and then nexplanon to the IUD and then Vienva and now Sharobel!! So far I really like this birth control. I have some mental health issues so I needed a low dose hormone and this has hardly affected my moods in a negative way which is awesome because we all know about how certain birth controls can make us crazy lol. Also a plus is my boobs have gotten bigger. Like from a C to a D! The only negative thing I have to say so far is my boobs randomly get sore every so often and my periods aren’t completely regular but it could be my body still adjusting because it takes time! If you want something low dose that won’t have bad side effects this is the one! Also I have noticed my libido has gone up and I am glad this pill doesn’t affect my sex life except for the better. I very quickly become aroused and no dryness over here . Overall a great option.”

Jp · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was prescribed Errin as an alternative birth control because of having high blood pressure. The first 3 months were normal with my period last about 5-6 days. On the 4th month I started bleeding profusely! I would bleed through heavy pads in 3 hours. The bleeding was full of huge clots. I lost so much blood that was pale and required to come into the doctor's office for a checkup. The cramping was unbearable. There is no way this medication is worth the pain and money it costs in feminine products. The birth control works in preventing pregnancy because who would want to have sex with you when you are bleeding through your clothes! Terrible experience.”

Issa December 29, 2020

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I was switched to Nora-Be from generic Beyaz. I have horrible issues with estrogen (mainly caused my PCOS and PMDD) and so I needed a progestin only option. Currently on pack one and will update again in a few months but it’s amazing how much my PMDD/intrusive thoughts have decreased since starting this. No issues with acne or weight so far. Birth control is so individual that it can be trial and error to see what works. There are so many different kinds of progestin that certain ones you swear by may be awful for other women. This is just my current experience with Nora-Be, will be back to update!”

Abby January 23, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I have been taking Errin for 6 months and it has been great! I only have two side effects. One is that my periods are less frequent and only occur every 3 months, but I am not complaining! The other is that my period cramps on Errin are worse than when I had a regular period not on birth control. I love Errin because it is so much better than the combination pill for me. Estrogen made me terribly sick to my stomach, but on Errin I haven’t been nauseous at all since it only has progestin. One thing to note is that Errin is a time sensitive pill. You have to take it within 3 hours at the same time every day. If you forget, use protection for 7 days after, or you risk getting pregnant. I had a pregnancy scare on Errin and almost got abortion, but luckily it was a false positive! Therefore, I can confirm that Errin is effective if you are sexually active like me, as long as you take it on time. I recommend setting a daily alarm on your phone at the same time. Mine is set for 8pm.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 7, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started this birth control in April of 2020 and this is almost my 7th month being on it. The first month was okay but it made me really depressed. I was prescribed this birth control because I can’t take combination pills due to the fact that I have migraines. I’ve been bleeding twice a month since then and I was told to give it time and that it would get better after the 6 month adjustment period. I’m still bleeding 2 times a month and it’s been almost 7 months. I keep track of everything on the Flo app and I always seem to bleed around the time that I’m supposed to “ovulate” I’m not sure if that has something to do with it or what but it’s very very annoying. It’s doing it’s job though I just wish I wouldn’t bleed 2 times in 1 month. It’s annoying enough having 1 period and now I have 2.”

Izzy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “Errin has been an ABSOLUTE life saver for me. My periods used to make me miserable. I was depressed and anxious for the two weeks leading up to my period. Not to mention, I had migraines that were extremely painful. I decided it was time to regulate my period and got put on Errin. The first few months DID have side effects (tender boobs, irritability before my first period, and really huge migraines before each period) but those went away after a while. Now, my periods do not make my mental health spiral in the slightest. I feel so much better! My periods still come regularly, less cramps, less migraines, almost no PMS. The only downside to Errin, for me at least, is that I have to remember to take it at the SAME TIME everyday. Not only do I not want my mental health to spiral, but I also don't want a baby! So if you're bad at being punctual with meds, this pill isn't for you!”

figaro123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

Camila (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “Please keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to hormones and what I experienced may not be what you experience. I am writing this so the people that do experience these side effects do not feel like they are crazy. I started this birth control because I was no longer allowed to be on a combined pill. I took it for about four months and couldn’t take it anymore. My boobs hurt so bad I could barely put a bra on, my periods never regulated the way they were supposed to, I broke out like crazy and it made me so nauseous. every month I was taking a pregnancy test because all the symptoms I was experiencing were the same as if I was pregnant, the late or non existent period didn’t help either. I hope someone finds this useful.”

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I haven’t really had any side effect symptoms from Errin pill except my period dates being a bit skewed. No crazy bleeding or spotting and my boyfriend has probably came inside of me like 100 times since I started taking it 3 months ago and I’m not pregnant haha. Best!”

GS · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I tried this pill 2 different times. First time I had brown spotting for over month so I stopped. I tried it again about a year later (currently on it) and I'm having a better experience. I spotted brown for only about a week when first starting and I haven't had any issues with it since unless I'm taking it late. You need to be SUPER consistent with it (which you probably already know); If you can do this then this is a great pill. I know it says within 3 hours but any later than 10 minutes (for me) and I start spotting for a couple of days. But I get NO nausea or other big side effects that I can notice. And hey, I'm not pregnant yet. So I'd say it's doing its job.”

co February 16, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I switched to this Errin birth control pill from Yasmin because of migraines, and regret it completely. This pill is costing me a fortune in pads and tampons because my period now lasts three weeks. I thought it was because I had to get used to it but it’s been six months now. The issue is not floundering in dosage times. I’ve taken every pill at the same exact time for the past ten years. Everyone’s body is different so if you feel it’s right for you then good, enjoy it. If you’re having three week long periods, stop taking it.”

AC May 1, 2020

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I have tried every type of birth control, from implants to IUDS to rings to 5 different types of combined BCPs, but Ortho Micronor is my favorite. I take generic micronor and it has the least amount of side effects of any hormonal birth control method I have ever used. It’s the only pill that doesn’t cause me mood swings. I have not had any notable extra acne, no facial hair, no weight gain. All other combined pills made me emotional, weepy, agitated and irritable. I have PMDD and Yaz actually made it worse. I will take Norethindrone for as long as I can. It’s been the best yet for me. I know every body is different, but I wish I tried this sooner, I would have saved myself a lot of painful and emotional trial and error.”

Christine · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I started googling this before I went on and the majority of posts are negative - so I'm posting due to a positive experience . I started a month and a half ago after being on a combo pill for my entire life. So far- no issues, no weight gain, the only kinda weird thing is that I haven't gotten a period. Don't hate it but will probably think I'm pregnant constantly because I"m so paranoid that way .LOL No side effects so far aside from a bit of cramping!”

Senapati January 8, 2021

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “I was prescribed Errin for BC as I cannot take estrogen. For the first month my only side effect was sore breasts. That went away. The second month my side effect was a racing heart. Also during this time I developed a recurring yeast infection problem. The racing heart went away the 3rd month, but the constipation started. Constipation & yeast infections from a dry V. I stopped halfway thru the 4th month because I couldn’t take the constipation anymore & any time I had sex I'd get a YI. Two other things this entire course of time on the pill. 1, it intensified my anxiety and made me paranoid and 2, it got rid of my sex drive. I think the only thing I liked about it was that it made my period lighter and shorter, but didn’t affect it at all otherwise. I’m writing this review because the side effects I experienced I hadn’t heard anyone else talk about. I never got pregnant tho, which is good so I would consider this effective hence the 9/10 but I will never take hormonal BC again.”

Sunny11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “First I'll say I was VERY worried about taking this after reading reviews. I'm on my second month into taking Errin and it's gone well so far. I have not taken any meds (before this) in over 15 years, I'm 31. But after getting married I needed birth control because we have enough fur children, and don't want human ones. I really haven't noticed any major side effects. I have had somewhat tender breasts, and I did break out my first week on this, but it may have been the stress of getting married, cleared up fine now. I don't notice any change in mood, weight, anxiety (I have had anxiety for a while). My period is normally 28 days on the dot, with very occasional one or two day differences. My period came 2 days early after taking this (I started the pill day 1 of my period). I do notice darker periods with more clots, but other than that it's about the same. Overall, I'm happy with this pill, especially after reading a lot of other reviews and felling so worried!”

Belinda Y November 30, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Started Norethindrone .35 mid-March 2020, I was 41 so ob/gyn said this was only safe option to regulate my irregular periods. For 1st 2 months I was nauseous, couldn't eat & lost 10 lbs. Was very sad & anxiety shot through the roof. I chalked all these symptoms up to my emotions about the pandemic, but in hindsight it was mostly norethindrone making me feel poorly. I stopped taking it in Nov. a few days before my 42nd birthday because the side-effects had gotten out-of-hand. I had constant cramps, back pain, night sweats, numb fingers & toes, headaches for days, low libido & vaginal dryness, erratic emotions, irregular period that came every 20 days or so. When stopped, all the side-effects went away. I'd rather deal w/the natural feelings of my period than add negative side-effects from a pill. If this is the best medical science can do for people who menstruate in their 40s, it's a pretty sad affair.”

Jess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 24, 2020

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: “If you’re trying not to get pregnant do not take this Errin brith control! I was out on this due to acute high blood pressure by my pcp after being on the combo pill for years. 6 months in I ended up having an ectopic pregnancy and having to have surgery to remove it along with my entire right Fallopian tube. I never missed a pill or was late. Took it by alarm every single day!! Be aware!!!”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2020

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “This is the most awful birth control pill I’ve ever taken in my entire life, and I’ve tried several. I took it exactly on time every day for one week. Starting with day 3, I had a constant headache, nausea, acne, pain in my legs, generalized pain in my body (back, joints, etc). By day 5 I was bleeding a little, then by day 7 I was bleeding a LOT - like if someone just drew blood straight from my arm and dumped it in the toilet. It wasn’t even like normal period blood it was so bright red and thin. And on top of the other symptoms, I was dizzy and had cramping, too. It also gave me intense hot flashes and a slight fever, I was sweating practically all the time, and I would wake up several times a night. AWFUL I would absolutely never recommend this pill to anyone. If I could give it negative stars, I would.”

Tia · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have fibroids and am extremely anemic so I was put on norethindrone to shorten the length of my periods. I've taken the pills faithfully and so far gave been bleeding for 12 days straight. I'm dealing with stomach cramps and nipples that feel like they're twisted so tight they're going to pop right off. This sucks!”

Bri · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 23, 2019

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I'm a little surprised at the negative reviews but I understand everyone is different. I was put on Nora-Be due to extremely heavy periods in my mid 30's. I have been on this pill for 5 years now and am quite pleased with the efficacy. While I still have a cycle (some people will stop having a period once taking Nora-be) it is significantly lighter. Once in a blue moon I would get breakthrough bleeding but that all stopped after the first month of taking Nora-be. I feel my mood has been more stable since before the pill and it has not affected my weight at all.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2019

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’ve been on this for 3 months now, and the first month was fine, but after the first month I have had 4 periods within 5 weeks, and each are 5-6 days. I have a 3-4 day break from bleeding, but then it starts up again. I’ve never experienced this before taking this birth control, and I’m done taking it!”