User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Incassia, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 104 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Sharobel (norethindrone): "I've been taking this birth control since April. I had regular periods, but it would last longer. In August, I was a little late and then spotted for almost 2 weeks off and on but it was just really light. This month, I'm 6 days late and have only spotted a couple of times (brown like the start or end). Am I eventually not going to have a cycle and this is common?"

VDAWG September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "I've only started taking lyza for two months now and I been having periods last for 20 days then a week free then back to three 20 day period. Periods are extremely heavy. It's been really annoying but I'm going to stick through for at least 6 months to see if this changes. I get no symptoms so far except a little breast tenderness so I'm happy about that."

Annon03 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Can't say I love it but I kind of like it. First the BAD: my first month taking this was the absolute worst. I was beyond exhausted everyday and felt like I could fall asleep at any given moment (thankfully this has subsided). Also I noticed that I have blemishes that show up on my neck and jawline randomly once in a while ever since taking this. They're not terrible but I've never had this before. Finally, taking the pill at the same time everyday can be torture. Now the GOOD: I have not had a period or any PMS symptoms since taking this. I also have read that certain birth controls can alter hair and weight for some women but mine stayed the same while on this."

brep (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this 6 weeks ago and today I decided to stop taking it. My first period was heavier than normal and longer by 2 days. It did seem to help my cramps a little bit. The only side effects I noticed while taking this was I had moments of anxiety that I contributed to taking this. What I really don't like is that I am now bleeding again 2 weeks after my period ended. NO THANKS! Maybe I should give it more time to see if it would even out in a few months, but I don't want to. IF your currently NOT taking birth control pills then you can use Northindrone to delay a period for a vacation or important event. Then after your vacation is over just stop taking it, it worked great for me in doing this. But not for being on it full time"

mlh22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one pill and I had major nightmares"

Dm55 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this medication in the winter of 2016. I was having heavy periods, as well as bleeding in between. My gyno diagnosed me with uterine fibroids and uterine hyperplasia. I was given 5mg to take every day. I have not had a period. At first it was a dream pill. I lost weight and stopped having periods. Now my stomach hurts all the time, I was diagnosed with prolapse which I NEVER had issues until this pill, my boobs are getting bigger and horrible anxiety. I asked if I could stop taking this pill and my doc said "it is preventing you from getting uterine cancer." My urogyn said my type of hyperplasia does not cause cancer. I am so done."

boomer1111 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "I have been on this pill for a year now. I went a while without a period just constant spotting. Well, I can't tell if it's an extremely light period or just spotting. It's not enough blood for a tampon or pad but a liner. I hate it bc if I do want to have sex, I have to act like I have to pee right before just to make sure I'm not bleeding. I'm on my last pack & then I'm done with it. I also was on this pill due to high bp & horrible periods. I'll take my risks at not taking this anymore!"

BrittCoop (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "This is the worst pill. First time I started taking these pills when I got my period I bled for 12 days straight, then months after that, I bled like normal probably a bit heavier than normal , the nurse told me when taking this pill your period will be light to no period some months, I have yet to see a light period. A few more months pass by then I started to gain weight and I mean a lot of weight it started coming on really fast I gained about 30 pounds in 8 months and there wasn't much pain, slight cramps and I was very moody and had increased libido I hardly got headaches but I was really bloated every single month like excessive gas every single month it was terrible until like three days ago I decided that enough was enough and stopped taking them"

Shaugherry July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Errin (norethindrone): "I was on Errin .35 for 6 weeks and decided to stop taking it due to having my period for all but 3 weeks straight. Only had small breaks in between like a day here or there and just when I thought it was done it started again. It also make me very tired to the point I would fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon if I wasn't actively doing something. I started it mainly because I am done having children and my periods were terrible because of my Fibromyalgia. The cons of taking this far out-weigh the pros for me. I would rather just feel like crap for a couple days a month than deal with periods lasting weeks."

rednecksissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this because I am 36 and premenopausal with premature ovarian failure. My periods are 21 to 28 days apart with premenstrual migraine with vertigo and I've had severe endometriosis with removal of an ovary and fallopian tube. I've been on 5mg of Norithindrone everyday for the past 4 months. Side effects I've had: nausea, breast tenderness and cramping at certain times of the month, headaches, weight gain (12 pounds in 4 months!) -I am hungry ALL the time! Big time Bloating!, mood swings, constipation. I have not gotten my period in 4 months. Night sweats are gone. And premenstrual migraine with vertigo has decreased slightly. I still think I have been ovulating and cycling only without my period (if that makes sense)."

Mrsconnors (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication since possibly the beginning of February it is now May and two months after taking it I started having constant breakthrough bleeding one day good one day bad some days clotting some days not my doctor has up the dosage to 4 pills a day which is 20mg still has not stopped the bleeding.. as of today I'm going to stop taking the pill to see how the bleeding subsides and if I get a menstrual period I would rather have a complete proper menstrual period than this constant everyday bleeding. I was only taking it to build up my blood and stop my menstrual to have a partial hysterectomy which is scheduled Aug 7th but I would rather have a regular menstrual and build up my blood another way then constantly be bleeding every other day.."

Keishainny May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aygestin (norethindrone): "Started May 8 and two weeks later had full blown period with bad cramping lots of blood clots and heavy bleeding. Prior to taking this medicine I had extremely light spotting once every4 to 6 weeks. According to the FDA I should not have been taking this since I was post menopausal"

Go bucks (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this drug after surgery because of uncontrolled bleeding. I was going thru a super tampon every 1 or 2 hours for 2.5 days. After taking 10mg of norethindrone, my bleeding subsided in 8 hours and went back to a 'normal' period and has since completely stopped. If you take norethindrone long term, you may have breakthrough bleeding almost constantly....I had this happen after 3 months of 10mg x day (as endo treatment), it cleared up about 2 weeks after I went off of the norethindrone and back on regular birth control. If you are having heavy or uncontrolled bleeding, I recommend giving norethindrone a try for, it's supposed to work within 24 to 48 hours for heavy bleeding."

DesB May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Use caution ***** I started taking this form of the "mini pill" in September 2016. Initially I had no adverse reactions to it but, the side effects of NON STOP BLEEDING hit me like a Mack truck. For the past two months I have been experiencing what's known as "breakthrough bleeding" almost everyday. The kicker is I stopped taking it over a month ago!! Seek other forms of contraception-this one is really scary (and only 80% effective)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Norethindrone...OMG! I wanna scream I was giving this birth control to control heavy bleeding and painful cramps due to Endometriosis. This pill has caused acne, prolonged bleeding and cramps. My cycle now last 15 plus days and with the bleeding I have cramps. Now I have low hemoglobin levels and anemia because of the loss of blood. I'm 37 and don't want kids so now I'm looking to permanent birth control. I wanted to try the IUD but my sister had it for 5 years and when they took it out it broke and she had to have surgery. Now she's having issues with her cervix and bleeding. Smh what are we to do!"

Tthomas31 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "So I was given Lyza because of my migraines. Long story short as soon as i started taking it I've had problems. My migraines seem even worse. It made me really moody & depressed. Not to mention never having a break from my period if I'm lucky I get 5 days off at the most other than that I'm always on my period. I definitely would not recommend!"

xo.shortyy April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site and comments. This pill has been a nightmare. I bleed HEAVY constantly for weeks at a time. I'm now severely anemic and am going through iron (iv) infusions. YES like another commenter I have my period for weeks, last month I was on my period 3 weeks. I'm so tired and frustrated that I'm 38 and considering a hysterectomy. I started this pill 9/28/16. Every time I called about the heavy long periods I was told it takes 2 to 3 months for my body to adjust its now been 6 months and like I said I was on my period 3 weeks last month and just had my 1st of 5 iron infusion treatments. Nightmare.. AVOID THIS PILL :("

North-Nightmare (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "I use to have the mirena for 3 years but during the 3rd year I started having side effects so I got the Lyza pill because I have migraines. I started in October 2016 and I'm always bleeding I'll stop bleeding for a week and then start bleeding again my cramps are worse I get really depressed idk what to do - I don't want kids right now I'm married "

Calitatted (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on this for a few days, 37 to go. My Dr. prescribed to prep my uterus for an ablation in May. So far the bloating isn't as bad as I thought it might be, but the 'sad' feeling is bothersome and has zapped any and all energy I have."

Punky69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After three days of being on this medicine I started breaking out like acne all on my lower neck, blood pressure was very high stomach started cramping and oh my word the back pain was way worse than any period pain I ever get - and trust me cycle pain is thru the roof but Aygestin put s new meaning on that "

Mimidn March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "In the past I did not take any form of birth control, due to the high hormone levels. I have recently had to be put on the Nora-Be for abnormal bleeding, unbelievable cramps and just all over debilitating monthly experiences. I have been on the "mini pill" for 2 months so far. First month period was still painful but only 2 days and not the full 7, there was very little clotting and I could still function in daily life. Not bed ridden with a heating pad or ingesting a whole bottle of pain killers. It is now month 2 and my cycle should of started 4 days ago. I'm not worried one bit that it hasn't!! LOL. I have had no headaches, no neck pain no discomfort at all. Can't really say if my weight loss is due to the pill or diet and exercise."

SJaber March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I was prescribed Nora b after being off of birth control for 15yrs.... I always had normal periods on time to a tee now I am getting my period for 9 days.... I'm stopping this med right away....especially after reading all those reviews on in between period bleeding"

MayMay0930 February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "Well, ever since I was 13 my periods were not normal they would last for more than a week, I would get horrible side effects such as nausea, cravings, cramps you name it. I got extremely tired of it and I was prescribe to Nora-Be it's been good to me. I started it while on my period I only bled for two days! Not even bad! It was a small spot and done I felt so relieved!!! I noticed no weight gain and I felt great, I get no side effects from it but if I do which is rare it's breast pain. I recommend this, but of course everyone's body is different!!! ps I've been on it for ages"

Samantha Belmontes (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lyza (norethindrone): "I have been taking Lyza since December 5th, 2016. I have had vaginal bleeding since December 7th, 2017. Yes, that is 71 days straight! I have not had any other side effects from this pill but the bleeding is enough to do me in. I keep waiting to see if it will even out but again this week it is heavier then just spotting and showing no signs of slowing down. I have high blood pressure which is why I am on this pill but I don't think I can keep taking it much longer. So frustrated!!!!"

MNnicegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this pill for a long time without facing any psychological issues. I had no weight loss or gain. no acne. This pill is great in the fact that it does not have a warning for blood clots/DVT/PE since there is no estrogen. However, the downsides to it, for me, were that it did not suppress my ovaries enough and I had 2 periods a month. Also, It caused my ovaries to have a lot of painful ruptured cysts that led me to hospital stays they were so bad. My GYN made me switch birth control to one with low estrogen in order to better suppress the ovaries."

mgw55 February 12, 2017