User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Incassia, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I was prescribed this medication to take 3 times a day over 25 days due to having 2 periods a month and spotting in between. But I finished the tablets, got a period 3 days later but I'm still having the bleeding issues! It's day 10 now and the tablets have not worked and I'm not happy about constantly having a period, but no birth control agrees with my body."

Not impressed January 1, 2017

"This is the first time I have taking this pill. It is due to abnormal bleeding after my tubal reversal. My OBG put me on this, so that it would regulate my hormones and period because I havent got pregnant and its been a year. I am only taking it for 2 weeks and just finished. I am waiting for my period now as my doctor said it would bring on my period. After it comes I'm suppose to take chlomad. Its going to help me become pregnant by releasing 3 to 4 eggs at a time.The Norethindrone has actually made me lose weight and lowered my blood pressure.It has made me not want to eat but this is my first time and I havent been taking it for months or years. But what I'm using it for has definitely worked and glad I was prescribed the medication."

Candiss (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

"After having my second baby, I got my period back at 6.5 weeks postpartum even though I EBF! My periods were really heavy after my first child so I wanted to be on the pill to decrease my menstral flow. Since I'm breast feeding, my doc perscribed me with this mini pill and it has been the worst birth control medication I have ever been on. I am getting my period twice a month, with each cycle lasting about a week. It's ridiculous! I just finished my 2nd month being on the pill and I am stopping now. I would rather deal with the heavy flow then the 2 times a month flow!"

IOooOI November 10, 2016

"This pill caused horrible side effects. My mood swings were so bad I thought I was going crazy. I was angry all the time, sad, depressed, and suffered nightmares. It will lighten your periods, but it wasn't worth feeling mentally insane!"

LindaB2016 November 1, 2016

"I've been taking this drug for about two years and I have mixed feelings about it. I started it because I had 10 day+ long periods with severe cramps lasting even longer than that. I started on the lowest dose and had CONSTANT spotting for a long time. Told the doc and she moved me up a dose. This is where the mixed feelings come in... I have had perhaps two days total of bleeding (only when I forgot to take the pill) in the past two years but I've also experienced significant weight gain, acne, and mood changes, and it's getting old. At this point I'm considering switching to a different bc method. Unfortunately, I can't take anything with estrogen! (Migraine with aura)"

EmmaPK September 26, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I started taking this pill after i had my son, the dr prescribed this pill because i breastfeed. I have been on the pill for almost a year now and i have a period twice a month and im not talking about spotting or light bleeding.. i have a heavy period every time. I know everyone has different experiences but i would not recommend this pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

"I have been on this medicine since July 6th of 2016, today's date is September 10th 2016 and I'm still bleeding the doctor took me off September 8th I am cramping really bad, bleeding really bad too. my doctor she said that it should stop by Monday but this medicine did not help me I think it was a waste of time to take this medicine the one good thing about it though is that my sugar levels have went down since I've been off the medicine"

Candy M (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

"hated every moment of it!! Went to dr because of continuous abnormal bleeding from june 10 - august 8th , the prescribed me the norethindrone i started it that day and have been bleeding non stop for the past three weeks with severe cramping and abdominal pain. Blood clots the size of my hand and lower back pain , there has been no break for me and yesterday i had ecided to stop the pill and feel remarkably better overnight."

Jay Es (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"I have not stopped spotting since taking the pill, it has been about three weeks on and it's extremely inconvenient. Pain still the same. No period but constant spotting."

Tatianaa August 16, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "This is a great pill it stops the bleeding but does give you a regular period every twenty eight days. The only con is that my breast get real tender and swell."

Jademill August 12, 2016

"Dr. Prescribed for abnormal bleeding, post D&C for pcos . It has been a lifesaver for me. No cramps, period lasts no longer than 2-3days... breast tenderness something ive nevr felt until i started bc. I hadnt felt many "normal" female symptoms before due to my irregular condition(s). Therefore i was happy to experience them. I actually feel like a grown up."

Beka B (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I have a very light abnormal bleeding after intercourse and was prescribed Nora be, I was so scared of taking this due to the fact that I've taken the patch, the shot and the combo pill and they all sucked, they all caused weight gain, hair loss and moodiness and my period lasted FOREVER. So I expected no less from this pill. But to my surprise my period stopped when it was supposed too, no bloat, weight gain or hair loss so far. Guess my body doesn't agree with extra estrogen so protestrian it is. If you have a bad experience with all these estrogen bc's I suggest giving this a try. Only thing I hate about it is taking it everyday at the same time but dealing with that rather then the estrogen side effect is minor."

Happy with it July 18, 2016

"Dr prescribed this to me on June 29, 2016 I had started my period a day or 2 before my appt. I was experiencing very painful cramps, heavy bleeding, and some passing of clots while menstruating. After taking this medication my period is still on or I'm still bleeding. A much more heavier flow with huge clots being passed now. This made my symptoms worse than before and I have been bleeding since June 29th, today is July 12th. Go back to the Dr today a Lupton Depot shot and I may stop this therapy altogether and continue to deal with my previous symptoms. Not worth it. I'm 42 yrs old have 2 adult kids ages 25, 27 and had a tubal around 2007."

Steph4000 July 12, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I have been on plenty of birth control methods.. From the ring, patch, IUD and pills. Nothing seemed to work , then (as a health care professional) I decided to research and try Norethindrone (ortho Micronor) .. This was the best decision, sharobel and Micronor are my favorites! No weight gain (like I've had on others), no anxiety issues/depression..sex drive is the same. I will NOT go back to anything else! I'm so grateful "

BriiRoma1 June 30, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "34 yo; overweight; pcos: I went to the doc for bc because my pcos was causing abnormal bleeding again. I wasn't prescribed a combo pill because I've had migraine before and was assured Nora-Be would stop the prolonged bleeding I was experiencing. Nope. My flow increased dramatically on day 3, I've had stronger cramps than I've ever experienced before, my whole body is swollen (feet and legs especially), my mood and energy has plummeted, and my frustration has increased After much research I've discovered that the progestin norethindrone is the worst kind for pcos."

Anonymous June 30, 2016

"I started taking norethisterone 3 days ago. I was on cerezette for 2 years and after a year of not bleeding the flood gates opened so to stop the break through bleeding they gave me the norethisterone to take 3 a day for 10 days. It's not working and is definitely making it worse, I'm also more tired, irritable, my skin feels dry and itchy and so on. Unfortunately it's Saturday and I won't be able to see my GP until Monday but in definitely going to be coming off these pills for sure. I don't recommend these pills and hope they can stop my bleeding some how. I'm allergic to tranxamic acid. If only men had to suffer as much us ladies..."

Tomandmandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016

"I was prescribed these pills as add back therapy while taking the lupron depot shot for my hot flashes. At first I had headaches and nausea. But after talking it for 31 days it has taken away the hot flashes. But now I'm bleeding and cramping which is one of the side effects of the pills. Hoping that it stops. Haven't had a period in over a year with the Lupron Depot shot. Was bleeding for 2 months before the shot due to fibroids. Just wish that it stops and the cramping. Seems like it is taking away the effects of the Lupron Depot shot."

Teesmommy May 21, 2016

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I'm 41 and have had heavy periods for 3 years. I was bleeding for 10 straight days before seeing my OB. I did test and vaginal ultrasounds and and my OB says everything looks fine. She put me on Micronor bcs of my HBP and bcs of my age. I was having break through bleeding for 3 weeks after starting on Micronor. After the 3 weeks, I guess I had my period bcs it was heavier. I still had a little spotting afterwards and thankfully it tampered off after a few days. Now no blood, it stopped and I'm period free. I'm now on my first week of my second pack. I don't really have any side effects, just a little hungrier but no weight gain yet. My complexion is fine, no mood swings, my sex life is fine, no depression either."

VenusThai May 6, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I would not recommend this pill for anyone, not any progesterone only pill. Bloating that makes me look 3 months pregnant, constipation, 50 pounds of weight gain in under 2 years that won't exercise off, skin feeling too tight all the time, headaches, fatigue, appetite is weird, constipation and diahhrea, mood swings, hot and cold flashes, and a never ending period. Medical staff all say it's normal and can't be the pill...so it's all in my head. I stopped this pill 2 nights ago and lost a third of my stomach as the bloating is decreasing. Stay away from these pills!"

DevilinTexas79 April 24, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "47, given to thin uterine lining. Can't take it, gives me all day migraines, nausea, and vomiting. :( medroxyprogesterone worked better for me because I didn't have the debilitating effects."

MHSan Diego (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "39/ no kids. I have always had issues with taking BC, estrogen makes me a moody, bloated beast. I was diagnosed with endo 5 years ago. Got IUD w/ hormone, worked for 2 years and I've been bleeding now off and on for months. Was just in to see my OB last week and he suggested Nora-BE. At first I was hesitant but he explained that the progesterone dosage is the same as IUD and a fraction of the hormone compared to the progesterone pills. I've taken it for a week here and there to shrink cysts. So I said ok. Took my first pill last night. Today I was more calm and patient, no appetite at all. Will post update in a few days."

Kitty1313 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"I am 36 years old. I was given Norethindrone because I had been having spotting/bleeding for 4 weeks but haven't gotten an actual period in nearly 2 months. My doctor gave it to me to stop the bleeding so tests can be done on me. I started taking the drug 3 days ago. So far the only side effect I noticed was a discoloration on my breasts. They aren't sore or painful, they just have a slight discoloration. It has pretty much stopped the bleeding but I still have small amounts of brown discharge when wiping after using the bathroom. I rated it an 8 because it seems to be working. I'm hoping no other side effects show up later."

Jenn Wade February 21, 2016

"So I went to my 6 week check up after having my son Doctor prescribed this because I was breast feeding long story short the first day I took it the next day I was bleeding so that following Monday the 15th I stopped taking it I'm 7 days in bleeding and I've never had an period longer than 5 days and while breast feeding my last son I didn't get a period until about 3 months . This is my first time trying birth control but I will continue to use the condom and pull out methods because I actually do want to have sex !!!!"

Hollyhotness (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I've only been on this medication 1 wk and I've gained 10lb..I haven't gained weight in over 5yrs. I'm extremely bloated, water retention, headaches and severe cramping..I want to give it a chance but I'm 42 and these symptoms aren't tolerable. I feel bipolar and on edge..I'm scatter brained and very emotional....no bueno!!!"

Anonymous January 15, 2016

Aygestin (norethindrone): "Stopped the bleeding but had dizziness and mood swings. Even one out burst of anger. Also abdominal cramps. But for one week so far 100 times better then the last 2 months of bleeding. I am 58 and use an estrogen patch. Also prometrium but not enough to balance the unopposed estrogen which caused a thickening of the lining."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016