User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 422 reviews 169 medications

3.3
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 1063 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This was the worst thing ever! I had hot flashes my period was non stop I just bled for months. And the worst thing was I had a low libido I was not interested in sex and could not get wet when aroused and I was only 19! This shot was terrible."

Floral59068 March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started the shot in July 2015 and ended in January 2017. Initially, I had pretty bad headaches, hot flashes, hair loss (nothing that anyone but me noticed), and quite a bit of bleeding (about 3 weeks after my first shot). After, about a month, the side affects started to wane - I stopped bleeding almost entirely (yasss!) and stopped losing hair. That said, while I did not have initial weight gain, I have gained about 15 pounds in the last year (I have never gained this much weight in this amount of time). As a result of the weight gain alone, I am discontinuing with this method of birth control."

bah0903 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had absolutely no issues with Depo. I was on the pill for approx. 15 years and wish I had made the switch sooner. I'm generally prone to weight gain but didn't experience this at all after starting the shot; I started training for a fitness competition shortly after and was concerned it might be harder for me to cut weight but had no issues whatsoever. It's so much easier than having to take a pill every day and there are some great calendars online that tell you when you're able to go back for the next one and when you're deadline is. I have absolutely no problem recommending Depo to anyone."

ckoltun (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I gave birth in January 2017, went to the doctor 2 week after to talk about getting my tubes tied and that I been bleeding since birth. He asked about birth control. I said I wasn't up for anymore pregnancy. He got up and right away and gave me the depo shot. I thought my bleeding from giving birth was just about to end than suddenly after the show I been bleeding for 8 weeks. It is so frustrating. I have epilepsy and the frustration is causing seizure symptoms."

Frustmomma March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I do not recommend this shot to anyone! I have only had one injection. Had a period 3 weeks after getting the shot and period lasted 3 weeks. 3 weeks later I have my period again and it is going on 6 weeks now. Goes from dark brown blood to bright red blood. Light to heavy then back to light. I will NEVER get this again. I called my doctor and she said it is normal. Um bleeding nonstop for 6+ is not normal!!!!"

LainaD March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I loved the shot. I started the shot at the age of 16 and continued until I was 20. Yes you will bleed the first three months but mine was regular like my period from what I remember with a lil spotting in between. After three months my period was gone. Due to me being on it so long it took two years for my period to return which I didn't mind and I conceived about 4 moths after that. I'm now a full time mother of one beautiful healthy baby girl and have moved on to IUD Nexa due to me not wanting any more children and it being every three years. But honesty I loved the shot and only had weight gain."

Lovethemall March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "So after having my son in 2012 I decided to go on the depo. No one bothered to tell my it would kill my calcium levels. That my hair and teeth would start to fall out. And that after going off the depo not only would I bleed for 55 days after going off of it but that every month after, I'd have excruciating cramps severe hip and pelvic pain. And have to change my pad/tampon every hour or else I'd be sitting in my own blood. Its not been a year since going off of it and NOTHING is any better."

MomOfOne2012 March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I would of got the Depo shot 9/12/15 day after giving birth to my son. First I got it I was okay didn't really notice any change. But the second and third time I noticed instead of me to gain weight I was losing weight from a size 10 to a size 6. I would get moody bad headache no appetite.. My last shot Was in June 17 been off it 9 months trying for a baby still nothing 2 days Ago I was bleeding but not sure If that Was my period. Haven't got my period since March 2015 was pregnant then the bleeding after birth then I got the shot?"

Ebo March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I opted the depo shot when I was 16. I was horrible at remembering to take medicine on time so I chose the shot. This is my experience. I can only speak for me. I got the shot in May 2006. Stayed on track of the shot due to the reminder I had a Dr's appointment on such and such day. I had light, 3 day periods. Never a day longer, never a day shorter. I had no weight gain. I had no cramps. I had no breakouts. I did not experience any dizziness, shortness of breath, or headaches. I didn't lose my appetite. I had no troubles. Then, like a genius, when I turned 18 I chose to get off the shot which was due in February. By April I had a positive pregnancy test. Wasn't hard for my body to change from even after almost 2 years."

0707 March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I gained weight, became a blubbering mess of emotions, got pregnant, and had a miscarriage all while getting the shot exactly on time."

Lali227 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After not being on Birth Control since I was 19 years old & "considered" dating men I took the Shot in September 2016 just to play it safe. I bled for 1 month straight, then nothing the next month, then bled whole month in December. I said NO to getting it again as it made me feel bizarre. Well....I haven't stopped bleeding since. Massive amounts of blood clotting & 36864157963 Tampons & Pads later, swollen 10lb weight gain, headaches, mad burning cramps, melasma on my face and an atrocious attitude directly from HELL still bleeding something fierce. This "wonder shot" should come with a lifetime supply of Femme Products & masseuse named Hans. I was prescribed Provera yesterday. Dear Lord let it work! ! DO NOT TAKE THIS FORM OF CONTROL"

Cranky in Colorado March 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Endometriosis "I have been on depo for a year and 3 months and have had no issue until now. It worked perfectly after I had my laparoscopy when I was diagnosed with stage I endometriosis. Now after this past month I've had bleeding and I have had 4 flare ups.... more than I had before my laparoscopy had been done. Went to the doctor with severe abdominal pain, nonstop bleeding and he had to take every gynecological test your mind can come up with, all of them came back negative. Doc is suggesting I go onto Lupron with add-back therapy since it's a lot stronger. Didn't have any side effects with the depo at all. I just hope with my new medicine administration of Lupron on the 24th of this month I will feel some much needed relief"

Jojo Toews March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My experience is definitely not common, but after my first shot, I bled for 7 days (shortest and lightest period I've ever had) and I haven't had a period since. I tried this after a nightmarish experience of months of nonstop bleeding and cramping on the pill. My periods were usually ridiculously heavy and lasted for an average of 11 days (why I started birth control in the first place) and depo has given me a normal/gone period for the first time ever. I love it."

Clearlyodd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started depo Dec. 19, 2016 and everything was going good until January 9, 2017 when I started my period and haven't stopped. It is now March 7, 2017. I'm not bleeding heavy, it's more like spotting but for the past couple days it's been heavier similar to a period and I'm just so over it. I'm not going back for a second shot which is due this month, I just want to know if someone else experienced this and how long did the bleeding last? And did your periods go back to normal?? I miss only bleeding for 6-7 days "

Jadeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started my DEPO shot January 25 2017 which was 2 days after my period ended. My next period was due on the 15th. And I've been bleeding every since. Today makes 21 consecutive days I've been bleeding. It's making me dehydrated and I'm already anemic. I'm supposed to go back in April but they will not be seeing me. I really hope I don't bleed these whole 3 months. This stops me from being intimate with my partner. DO NOT GET THIS SHOT."

Anonymous1996 March 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've gotten 5 shots and I'm still bleeding, when will it end"

nihilego (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I received my first dose of Depo in Feb 2016. For ELEVEN months, I had nonstop bleeding. Every. Single. Day. I continued to get the shot every 3 months with the hope it would eventually stop, since I had no other side effects. Didn't affect my weight at all, no mood swings, no acne changes, no change in sex drive, etc. I went against my OBGYN's advice to take estrogen pills to stop the bleeding, as I wanted to see if my body would adjust naturally and I had noticed that the bleeding was slowly subsiding month by month. Sure enough, after my fourth dose of the shot (Jan 2017), my period completely stopped. Now, March 2017, I have had no spotting. If you can deal with a possible year long period, the end results are worth it."

Mariesoko (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on depo six years prior to me getting pregnant I didn't see a period but twice the entire time I missed one shot and boom here comes baby After having my little I decided to give it another try on Dec 5.2016 I received my shot it's now March 2 and I have yet to stop bleeding I've gained 13lbs in a months time it's heavy I'm constantly taking showers and changing pads hot flashes and mood swings are ridiculous I do not recommend this contraceptive at all don't do it please"

Budda264 March 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my first shot December 19 , 7 weeks after having my son and I was still bleeding from that within 2 days my bleeding had stopped and I was excited. Well that was short lived as the next week I started bleeding/spotting for 2 weeks then stopped for a couple of weeks only to start again. My doctor gave me a second shot Feb 1 stating it would stop the bleeding well it hasn't. It's now been 5 weeks of spotting/bleeding. This is horrible. I also have horrible hot flashes that come from no where. Do not take this medication"

Depothedevil (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on depo for 2 years and haven't had a period since going on this just the odd spot here and there before my next injection is due... but thats about the only good point for me. I'm currently waiting to be seen by a gynacologist due to suffering constant pain during sex and no sex drive at all! Which I believe is down to the depo, like others have said I've noticed weight gain too whilst on this as well as joint pains. One more good point used to have very bad skin but this seems to have cleared right up too since been on this so worth a try everyones different!"

amys93 February 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Everyone is different! however I do not suggest this medicine if can be avoided. Due to an abnormality in my blood, my only bc option was the depo shot. I have been miserable since day one and it's not getting any better. I read all the reviews against it but I was set that it would be different for me. Hard no! My acne tripled in severity. I experience shortness of breath and muscle fatigue on the daily. The mood swings have been out of control and ultimately I no longer feel like myself. This has really impacted my life and I strongly urge you to avoid."

Kleestar February 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I don't see good reviews ever for any bc, even my friends had issues with depo but not me, I loved it! Everybody is different, You just have to try it to see. I had some spotting at first but then no periods ever, no issues at all and I even lost weight. After I was on it for a year and then stopped. It took 3 months after I didn't get my next dose to even get my period again. I'll go on it again when I'm in need of birth control."

Meagen s February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Terrible, wish I could give a -10 lol. Had first and last shot beginning of July 2016 and been bleeding ever since! Mefanamic and tranexamic acids have done nothing. Anyone who has bled for months please tell me when things got better for you because I am losing hope. I don't know whether its the doctors are ignorant about what this can or that they don't are more concerned about keeping unwanted pregnancy to a min but it is scary how little they know about this drug. The side effect they kept making the most noise about was weight gain rather than possibility of bleeding for months on end."

duoduo123 February 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm highly disappointed with this injection. I took my first shot of Depo shot Dec 2016 was fine for 28 days where I thought I was having a normal period. Since January 26th I have been bleeding, cramping and literally passing clots daily to date Feb 16th. This is so misleading. I have gone through tons of pads and this is becoming so depressing. I would never I say never ever take this injection again."

Shylou February 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Depo really did not run well with me. Got my first shot in November and have bled for 3 months straight. Period-like bleed every. single. day without any break at all. Very heavy and clots too. Depo made me bloat awfully too, I'm guessing due to water retention but made me look almost pregnant! My skin got really bad on it too.. not sure if it was caused by the depo or not but my skin is usually fine. I won't be going back for my second shot.."

Lilyb1509 February 17, 2017