User Reviews for Depo-Provera

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.1

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 6.3 1,237 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I’ve been on the shot for about 2 years now and it’s honestly been great. Of course the beginning was horrific. I bled 26 days straight during my tennis season, but eventually it stopped and everything balanced out. I do notice some small pimples every now and then and I get moody sometimes. It did cause a decreases in sex drive but after this long, that’s starting to go away. When I get the shot, so feel some pain around the injection area for about 4 days. Overall I would say I love this. I’m about to change though because the shot breaks down your bone density after a long time."

Rileyyyy February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Hey, I’m been on depo Provera off and on. Well this month Feb 17th my shot is suppose to be up. Therefore I didn’t start my period like I normally do. I honestly don’t know if I’m pregnant I haven’t taken a test yet . Can anyone help me out here ."

Nicholejay (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience, I didn't have a period at all after the 3rd shot, it was great. I did experience period like symptoms when someone else was on their cycle but no blood. I did take calcium gummies while on the shot. After a year and a half of the shot (taken regularly, every 3 months), I stopped. Took me almost a year to detox from the shot. I did not take any other birth control after the shot. I am now pregnant with our first son, healthy pregnancy. I've been reading a lot of reviews and a lot of them I have read we're using the shot incorrectly. You can't take the shot, stop the shot and then do it when you feel like, of course that is going to give you some problems. I'm not going to recommend the shot but I'm not going to bash it either. There's a lot of factors as to why it worked or didn't work. More research needs to be done."

LB3651 February 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I regret this shot :( I have been in pain for what it feels like forever now and I feel nauseous !! I got it in December and every day since I got it is just been horrible! I am not to going to get another one!! PLZ DON'T DO THE SHOT!!! Don't even just try it to try it!! You will want to cry everyday from just the pain and I have a very strong pain tolerance! Biggest regret!!!"

Unknown.... February 8, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After having my third baby I decided I needed birth control that was more long term. I decided on the shot because it was hassle free. However, this has been a nightmare. I have been bleeding constantly for a period of 3 weeks. I delivered my last baby via c-section and the amount of bleeding I am having now is equivalent to what I was having post partum. I am also very cranky and go into rages of anger where everything upsets me. I have had panic attacks where I feel my heart racing and can’t catch my breath. I already suffer from celiacs disease but it seems like Depo has aggravated it. I am having flare ups and experiencing IBS symptoms. I have three children and all these symptoms combined are taking away from my quality of life. I am constantly cranky, cramping, panicking or having IBS symptoms and I just want it to stop so I can enjoy my life and babies. This is horrible!"

Aide88 February 4, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I kept getting really bad periods from the time I was in 8th grade and it wasn't until my tenth grade year that I found out I have a minor case of PCOS but the cysts caused a tremendous excruciating pain to the point where I couldn't move. I tried birth control pills but they kept upsetting my stomach so I tried this after. I got my period the first half of the year then I started getting the shot but after that I rarely ever got my period. I was not sexually active at the time because well, I just wasn't having sex. I am concerned that I've been off of the shot for over a year now and I've only gotten my period twice within the year and a half but in a massive amount each time (14-16) days of bleeding, (6-8) heavy bleeding. Overall it helped with my pain but I put on a lot of weight."

EhIguessitworks February 2, 2018

For Birth Control "So I’ve been on Depo for 5 months, going on 6 and to me it’s pretty good. Before I was on it, I’ve been on my period twice a month and my cramps were terrible. Also I had a pregnancy scare with me and my boyfriend and I took a Plan B pill because I didn’t want kids at the moment, and I wanted to gain weight because my doctor told me to eat more. Everyone’s body is different, so the effects are different. I did have some side effects that I didn’t like, but I pushed through. I highly recommend to get it! You can always switch if you don’t like it! I’m most definitely going to my next appointment!"

roro223 February 1, 2018

For Birth Control "My wife had gotten this shot about a year ago. She had only got the first shot and immediately following we decided not to get the next. I would never recommend this to anyone who plans on having children for my wife hasn't had her period since and we are having fears of infertility. She had horrible head aches within the second month of the shot and muscle spasms. She also lost her sex drive and had major mood swings. She was not herself and she started to gain weight almost immediately. Her body still isn't used to being off of the shot. Be very weary of choosing birth control. We learned our lesson."

Craig daniels (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

For Endometriosis "I've always had very heavy periods. I have 24/7 severe pelvic pain, worse with periods. I've tried 2 surgeries, 4 rounds of Lupron, & bc pills, none of which helped the pain but pills made periods fewer & Lupron made them stop. Dr recently had me to try Depo & told me I wouldn't have a period! I had 2 periods before 2nd shot. Dr said most people don't have periods but those that do are lighter. I told her they were just as heavy, more painful, & lasting 2-3 weeks! She made me do a 2nd shot. I had another VERY heavy & painful 2 week long period! My PA wanted me to stop the shots & start a 3 month pill pack immediately, even though it wasn't time for my next shot. After 2 pills, my period stopped!"

BABWPrincess (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2018

For Birth Control "PLEASE do not use the Depo Provera. I got off of it about ten years ago and have had seizures ever since. The doctor won't believe me that they're caused by this (because she prescribes it every day), but I never had anything resembling a seizure until I got off the Depo, and I've read that other people have had the exact same experience. Please don't do it!!"

Bella1229 January 25, 2018

For Birth Control "My Dr recommended the depo shot because she didn’t want bc pills to interfere with my antidepressants. In the beginning my period was much heavier and longer than normal for the first 2 months. After that it became lighter until I didn’t have one anymore (yay!). Despite hitting the gym for about an hour a day, 6 Days a week I was slowly gaining weight. I gave up on the gym after gaining 20 lbs anyways. I stuck it out for a while year (+50 lbs gained in total), and now have not been on the shot for 7 months. My periods are back and completely irregular. Most recently I’ve had a period every other week for the past month. Getting on the depo shot was the absolute worst decision for me personally and I will not go back on it again."

FatandUnhappy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went on DP to stop the excruciating pain I am in every month due to adenomyosis. While I was on it I loved it! My periods stopped and the pain went away with it. I came off it a few weeks ago and I have realized what a mistake it was to have started this. I was always in a bad/angry mood, I had no sex drive whatsoever, I did not feel happy or sad , just numb... and my weight went up and was not moving (even on a diet). I thought all this was due to the other medicine I on but when I stopped them nothing changed. Now that I have stopped Depo Provera my mood swings are so much better, I even feel happy and sad. Best of all my weight is dropping... I have started a diet and it works at long last. I will not be going back onto it."

Linatu (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I strongly recommend this birth control method , everyone's body is different so everyone has their own opinions . Protects you from not getting pregnant and after a few month no more getting your period ! I have been on this for 5 years now. It's a great birth control method definitely suggest trying it out!"

Lelani Perez January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants a sex life or any life for that matter. I got the depo shot in November and started bleeding early December. It's now mid January and I bled for two months before it finally stopped yesterday. I had to do an ibuprofen treatment where I was taking 800mg three times a day. Not fun. Bled at least an ounce a day. It was like being on the second day of my period every day for two months. However, it did keep me from getting pregnant so I suppose it did it's job. Still wouldn't recommend."

Lizard97 January 13, 2018

For Birth Control "Overall I had no side effects aside for spotting and the intense spotting didn’t happen until the third shot (by intense I mean random bleeding for less than a day, lots of stained underwear and constant pantyliners). It 100% protected me from pregnancy and it was nice only worrying about every 3 months. After this 4th shot my next move is to switch to nexplanon and hope that a slower chemical release will help my spotting."

MadiSun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2018

For Amenorrhea "I was on the jab for 5 years (20-25 years old). While I was on it I was fine - no problems apart from frequent headaches. My last jab was in July 2017. I spotted few times from September to December, and then in the middle of December a nightmare started. I have now been bleeding for 4 weeks. Heavily bleeding as well. My breasts hurt too, I went to the doctor and I was prescribed Norethisterone for 10 days. If this doesn’t help, I don’t know what will. These tablets give me an awful headache too. I am worried that I won’t be able to have children in the future. I feel weak because of the heavy bleeding. The doctors SHOULD inform of the side effect after stopping this injection. I would definitely not recommend this to anyone."

Veronica92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had my first shot of depo two months ago. Was fine for the first month and a half and now I have excruciating cramps even my prescription anti inflammatory don’t work! I’ve also had my period now on my eighth day and it’s just getting heavier and heavier. I’ve also had blood clots bigger then ever. My migraine attacks got so much more frequent the past month and I usually have good skin and have been getting pimples. Considering this is a progesterone only birth control, (usually esteogen being the evil one) - this is horrible!!! I’m going natural after this!!"

Mimsntea January 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Stay away from this birth control!!! I have been bleeding every day for 3-4 months now with big clots and it has ruined all of my underwear. I cannot imagine how many tampons I have gone through! I also experienced very painful sex for quite some time which has only recently gotten more bearable. I have noticed I'm much more tired than I was before taking my first shot, I lost a scary amount of weight (too skinny already) probably from all the blood loss, and have been experiencing abdominal pain. I have no idea why I never looked up reviews before I decided to get the shot but lots of bad things come of this drug such as bone density loss, anemia, acne, and cancer!! PLEASE don't recommend this drug to anyone!!"

CarleyNicolette December 30, 2017

For Birth Control "I do not recommend this to anyone. I've had the worst experience of my life with this. It is my biggest regret. I took 2 shots so a total of only 6 months with this. Once I stopped I didn't get my period for months. Then I got my period and it hasn't stopped its been like 5 months of me bleeding straight every single day. I've gotten blood clots because of it and its making me depressed. I've gone to the doctors twice and they haven't helped me."

eeeeeeeeep (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I was recommended and given the shot to reduce the appearance of my acne (according to my clinic) and it made it 100x worse! I couldn’t even touch my face, I just felt so embarrassed to be seen. I was always moody and extremely tired and gained over 15 pounds! for anyone who has acne I do not recommend this. I had little acne on my face and now I have tons of huge zits!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2017

For Endometriosis "I was on the depo for a few months and hated it. I got it to help with my endo and it did help a little. At first I had a heavy period for 6 months they pain was still there but not as bad and I was able to go into work fine. I stopped taking it though because my period kept getting heavier and heavier and I can't afford it without healthcare insurance. Once I stopped getting depo, my period had stopped altogether. I felt so good. Pain was rare. That was eight months straight. Well I recently got my period back. I've actually had 2 heavy periods in ONE month. Like extremely heavy bleeding through all my clothes. I'm changing super tampons every hour. The pain is so much worse than it has ever been before. Idk what to do. "

InPainNoGain December 22, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on the depo shot since I was 12. Since then I haven't had a period. I've been off depo since April. It's now December and I'm barely getting my period back. Good birth control. The only issue I had was large scars on my stomach where the shot was given to me."

Littletexas16 December 20, 2017

For Birth Control "If anyone reads this and is thinking about taking the depo shot PLEASE DO NOT USE IT!! I’m 28 years old and decided I wanted to use a “ convenient “ birth control . Little did I know what was to come . The first shot I took it stopped my period immediately. Without boring you with detail , let’s just say I was in hospital with 3 types of auto immune diseases . Type 1 diabetes ( which does NOT run in my family ) thyroid and LUPUS . I truly feel this shot had something to do with this . I had my blood work done in the beginning of the year and I was completely fine . After 4 months I started bleeding and haven't stopped now for 4 months after and still bleeding. My body won’t be normal for another 10 months!!!!!"

Angie m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2017

For Birth Control "I would advise everyone to stay away from this shot. Got first injection Nov.2 and will not be returning. Non stop spotting for a month. I really hate that I tried this mess. Wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. If it wasn’t for my husband and my children keeping me in good spirit daily I just could imagine what I would be doing (crying my eyes out)"

Krissy84 December 19, 2017

For Birth Control "Before I begin I want to state that every birth control is different for every woman. I knew someone who was on the depo-shot and had no problems, which is what prompted me to try it. This is probably the worst birth control that I personally have been on. My symptoms consisted of feeling like I'm going to black out, and general dizziness, I also had terrible acne that did not go away even when I came off of the depo shot. Another minor symptom I had was serious weight gain, luckily that went away almost immediately upon coming off of the shot. I believe weight gain is a common symptom of the shot though, granted I was only on it for three months- so, I only had one shot. It didn't work well for me."

Meltarthegray (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017