User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.1

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.7 1,284 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have my tubes tied but am anemic and my monthly heavy periods made it worse. However I would take that over this. I got the Dep shot 3 months ago, all it did was lengthen the time till I got my period, two weeks I started bleeding. It’s been 3 months exactly today and I have not stopped bleeding. I have spent so much money on feminine products it’s un real. This is cruel. You give this shot to help periods yet its WORSE. Doctor wanted me to get a early 2nd shot and said that should make it all stop, no chance that I'm risking another 3-4 months of bleeding. I’m done taking it NOW. I truly hope my body goes back to normal all. It’s been 3 months and the bleeding is not showing any signs of giving up. Worst experience of my life!"

Ashes1807 July 13, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst experience on this shot. Constant bleeding, headaches, cramping worse than that of heavy periods, extremely emotional and constant feeling of PMS. Doctors kept saying my body just had to get used to it but definitely wouldn’t recommend. They don’t tell you enough about the side effects of this drug."

qwerty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 10, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ruins your body, It made my period last for 40 days. Worst experience ever!"

Angel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Well, I have been on the depo for years off an on. This is the longest I have stayed on it from 2009 to current. I have not had any issues besides the weight gain. So the only thing I tell you about that is portion control an exercise. Other than that you may spot every once in a blue moon like when it comes close to your next appointment. Other then that no period. I loved the depo and recommend anyone to try it especially people who hate periods. I have to take a break from it due to my dr states it takes away calcium. So been looking into other alternatives and they all sound scary ughhhhhh hate to change up because I really love the depo...."

Kat (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Used the shot for 6 months. The shot stopped my period completely and gave me severe acne on my face, chest , shoulders and back. But it did the job. I have to remove my IUD next month but I wouldn’t go back to the shot."

Mimi87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

For Birth Control "Hi, I just want everyone to know that it took me 7 months to get pregnant, most cases it says a year, but for me it was 7 . I stopped taking it in July of 2017 and got pregnant February 2018 I was very surprised since a lot of reviews said a year."

Stevi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2018

For Endometriosis "I have endometriosis diagnosed 6 yrs ago via laparoscopy, but used depo for birth control at a young age at age 18 yrs old. I used it for 2 years (no periods) gain 30lbs, depression, then had a hard time getting pregnant. I’m not sure if depo had anything to do with getting endometriosis later in life. Now, I’m 40yrs old and I’m taking it again for endometriosis, it helped the pain, no periods, some spotting, but no sex drive, I have mood swings, and hungry all the time. I decided to have a hysterectomy soon, tired of endometriosis and periods. Good luck people."

IZza (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2018

For Endometriosis "I HATE this shot, it ruined my life. I had very severe side affects that started the day after I got the shot, and have not stopped. My old provider refused to admit that my pain was due to the shot. I have constant cramping, constant bleeding, migraines, my hair is falling out, my depression is worse than ever, increased anxiety, insomnia, muscle soreness, joint pain and mood swings. I was told that this shot would stop my period, it did not, it just made my period last for 10 months, and it is still going. I will never get this shot again, and I do not recommend this shot for anyone."

sarah June 23, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I took my first shot in April and the first month I didn't gave a period.. but the month two started spotting off and on. Then I started getting huge clots like a miscarriage. Now month three I am bleeding heavily everyday and clotting like crazy. It has ruined my sex drive and almost ruined my marriage. I haven't had sex with my husband in 2 months. I've gained 10 pounds. Please do not use this without doing your research. NEVER AGAIN, BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE !!!!"

Bossladeey (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2018

For Endometriosis "I got the depo shot as an easy form of birth control seven months ago and I hate it. I have had constant bleeding, constant cramping, worsening depression, worsening anxiety, my hair is falling out and I am having migraines frequently. I would not recommend this for anyone, especially not anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression."

sarah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "Depo was very effective for birth control. I was on the shot for six years. Never had one period. I did have weight gain. Unfortunately when I did go off the shot. At the age of forty. I never did have a period again. I am very grateful for not having periods. BUT if I had been younger and wanting to have more children. That would have been devastating!"

Ladybug (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Bled for 3 months straight. As soon as I got it, I felt like a 5 whales were sitting on me. NEVER AGAIN!"

Cait Chris June 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm 21 I took my first shot of depo October 2017 and was supposed to go back January 2018 but didn’t end up going because I had way too many side effects that I didn’t like. The first month was okay and I was told it would stop my period so I thought that’s what was happening because I didn’t have a period the first month. Around the 5th of the next month I had a period and I assumed it was starting my cycle completely over but the bleeding didn’t stop it just went from a regular period to spotting. Sex drive was completely gone, my appetite changed, I had mood swings (I’m just a moody person naturally) the spotting would stop for 4 or 5 days and come back and last like 2 weeks. Wish I would have done research before I got it. The bleeding stopped around February, my periods still weren’t regular and I don’t know when they became regular but I’m now 7 weeks pregnant which I’m so happy because I thought it would take years to get pregnant after the shot."

Emilyr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

For Birth Control "This is literally the worst birth control. Please don't ever get this birth control. I was on the birth control pills and I barely got any side effects, but it was really hard keeping up with the birth control pills, so I went on the depo shot. THE WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE. The day after I got the shot, I got acne all over my face. I had whiteheads all over my forehead and cystic acne all over my face. For three months, I had really bad acne and it was never this bad... When the 3 months was over, my face was finally back to normal....."

lin (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on depo-provera for 12 years. I've been off for about 5 I'm experiencing a lot of joint pain. My hands are so painful. Could this be due to depo?"

Lorlee (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I love depo provera. I had horrible periods so I decided to get the shot, Best decision I ever made. Right when I got the shot I had my period for two weeks straight but after that I didn't get it again only like 2 days of spotting for the first 3 months nothing bad. It has almost been a year and I don't have my period at all only a tiny bit of weight gain nothing that can't be managed."

Nataliia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Endometriosis "In the past, I have tried various pills and the patch. With the Depo shot, it was nice to only have to get it every 3 months. The first 6 months or so, I had irregular periods, but after that my periods stopped completely. I was on the Depo shot for over 3 years and had more pros than cons. The only downside for me was the weight gain. I stopped taking the shot so my weight would come off...it didn't. I would advise extremely healthy diet and exercise if you want to be on the Depo shot."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I had terrible weight gain. Do not recommend for 40 year congestive heart failure patients. Your diuretics will not work. I gained 40 pounds. I'm off now. Hoping this shot will wear off soon."

Ceceoh (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

For Birth Control "A lot of people that I'm seeing have said bad things about this specific birth control, but I have had absolutely no problems with Depo Provera. I have been taking it for a year, and in the past year my mood has been evened out, my acne has cleared up, I have had no weight gain, and my period is completely gone. The downside is my sex drive has been lowered, but I do not wish to have kids for a while and if that is the only negative side effect of this drug I do not really mind. Don't say "don't use this - I had a horrible experience" because literally EVERYONE reacts differently to birth control. I would definitely recommend trying it, and if you don't like it go back to your doctor and discuss different birth controls to try."

Aleah May 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on depo for the last 10 years? Years on and off. I hate it. I constantly have headaches, constantly feel sad/overwhelmed. I feel very fatigued. No sex drive. I would not recommend this to anyone. It's nice to never have a period but all of the other symptoms outweigh that one good part. Finally getting off of it this week and trying the arm implant."

Asmar (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I don’t recommend people to get the depo shot for birth control because from my experience it was... still is the worst. I’m currently on it and it’s my last month and I know I won’t be going back. I got all the side affects like losing your hair, gaining weight, depression, mood swings, I have been on my period for two months and it’s the worst. I get headaches out of no where and I lose interest when it came to being romantic with my partner. This birth control does not help when it comes to emotions and physical things. I don’t recommend it at all!"

La (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on the shot for 7 years. I have gotten dizzy, bones weakened, had headaches, but eventually that stopped and I had a great experience because I didn't have a period no more. I recently switched to the mirena because I gained too much weight and my bones were weak plus its not good to be on the shot that long. I have had the mirena for a week now and about to get it removed because my boyfriend can feel it and I want to try the pill although its not that effective."

Kim (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "This is a toxic drug !!!!!! Do not take this drug for any reason . My first shot was in December 2017, I started spotting 11 days later. I spotted for 3 months straight then it stopped for 3 weeks then back on again been spotting every day. NON stop . It’s now May 2nd 2018 with absolutely no end in site I am very depressed about the non stop bleeding HORRIBLE DRUG"

Chrissy (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

"Started 5 years ago for Migraine/ & Birth control. I'm 47, 4 children and got finally my life back! No migraines, no period, no monthly pain & depression. Only side effect is bloating and easy weight gain but can be controlled with healthy eating & lifestyle. Oh and I dream non stop very realistic from the hormones I guess, had that during pregnancies as well. Very happy overall, recommend to everyone with migraines!"

Seni (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding for the past 2 months & 1/2. I'm anemic & struggle w low blood pressure due to the fact that I've been none stop bleeding. I try to take care of myself I eat healthy but with so much bleeding I feel helpless that no matter how much I try to maintain my health well I can't. I have lost so much hair, incredibly a lot. I find myself sweeping so much cause my hair is every where!! I'm even the reason our shower got clogged from so much hair that I've lost while I shower (I try to pick up as much as I can while I shower so I could throw it away). I had very thick hair & so much of it that now anyone notices that I've lost much of my hair! I've become depressed and angry! My sex drive has gone down as well. I've been with my partner for over six years we were planning of having a baby in the near future & we aren't planning to have any more so I thought this would be worth it but my mental health and my health in general is far more important. I won't be getting the next shot. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!"

G51 April 30, 2018