User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 453 reviews 169 medications

3.2
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 1115 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I have been on the shot since I was 15 I am 36 now! I bled a lot! You would have abnormal bleeding for the first year after 12 months it stops completely so if you bleed a lot for the first year what it's doing is getting you ready to have no bleeding at all! I have 2 kids that was planned! I know In the beginning can be depressing but well worth it in the end!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've been on the shot for three years now. My first year on the shot everything went smooth beside the fact I spotted after sex. However my last two years on the shot I gained 40 pounds. I experienced shortness of breath , depression, anxiety , pelvic pain , stiffness in muscles ( which was awful because I was a dancer ) tiredness and a huge increase in appetite. Even though the shot stopped my periods and pain.. I would not recommend this to anyone. Now my body is slowly getting back on track ."

Kokomo555666 May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding nonstop since I got on this medication not to mention my hair is falling out! I can't even run my fingers through my hair without me losing a handful of hair I always said I wouldn't get the shot but I have in and I regret it so much!"

Xoxokld (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The Depo just doesn't work for me. It was great at first, it lightened my periods but 7 months in and my period started lasting up to 2+ weeks. Back in March 2017, I asked to get my shot early (I was due in April) in hopes to stop the bleeding and it did. A month later my period came back and I took these low dosage birth control pills my doctor gave me which stopped the bleeding up until I finished the pack this month, and I started bleeding again. This time, however, I'm bleeding A LOT. My cycle's super heavy, and my normal period's before depo were never like that. This depo is messing up my body and it's made me gained weight like crazy. I'm switching to the implant in my arm method tomorrow, and I really hope that works better for me"

Paperpetals May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was told that the depo is suppose to stop your period and any other problems you have when you're on it. As far as for me I got my first shot March 2017 and it's now May 2017. And since March 30th until now, I've been on my period non stop. I must say my sex drive did increase but hell I couldn't do anything. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to anyone because of my experience. I've lost a lot of blood to were I'm anaemic. I've also gained some weight and I'm starting to get bumps on my face. On top of that I found out I'm allergic to the medicine. This was by far the worse. I should of just stuck with the bc pill. Please for those looking for a easy way out of a period DO YOUR RESEARCH!!"

P-long beach08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have got this birth control twice! The first time I got in NO side effects what so ever, besides a little bit of spotting here and there. I decided to get the shot again, and honestly it was the worst decision I've ever made. I am unusually moody all the time, I break out crying out of no where, I am always in and out of serious depression and I am always tired! If I would have known this shot would have been the end of most friendships, relationships and even people liking me.. I wouldn't of ever got it. It has ruined me as a person! Don't get it if you're sensitive to birth control. It will not be right for you and you will be miserable. I can't wait to be off of this birth control I will never go back to the depo."

Aly2992778 May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "When I got this all the clinic told me was "We have the Depo shot, it's a shot you get every 3 to 4 months. You wont have a period and it is 99%effective." Of course that sounded appealing. But this was one of my worst decisions. Its not like the pill where if you feel side affects you can just stop taking it. I took this shot in Feb 2017 it is now May 2017. It is about time for my next shot but there is NO way I am getting it. I have bled every single day since Feb. Not a lot but enough to where I have to wear a pad everyday. I've never had acne issues but now it is constant, my sex drive has almost completely gone away and your period wont go back to normal for up to 12 months after the last shot..I would not recommend this to anyone."

LX3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Prevents pregnancy but definitely not worth the side effects. It will cause mood swings a week into getting it. Please, for the sake of your own health do not get this shot."

pavlovna (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Depo-Provera was the worst decision of my life!! I got my first shot in December (2016) and after the shot, I began to bleed heavy constantly. I went for my second shot in March (2017) and I still was bleeding. Here it is May and I'm still bleeding not as heavy as I was in January! But I've been bleeding every since DECEMBER 2016. It's so frustrating and depressing!! If anyone has found anything to stop abnormal bleeding due to Depo-Provera please help me and point me in the right direction. Please & Thanks!"

Karlee C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been on depo for about 7 years and am now just switching over to Kyleena (IUD). This was the best birth control for what I needed at the time. At the start I had severe cramps and highly abnormal bleeding. This was the ultimate lifesaver! After about 6 months of abnormal bleeding (this is very common when first starting depo), I stopped having a period all together. I would have given this a 10 if not for the more recent side effects I started experiencing. In the last year or so, I started experiencing a steady state of feeling down/low, easily agitated/quick to anger, and low libido. After some research I found other testimonials of people experiencing the same mood changes after being on depo for 5+ years. Only reason I'm switching."

Depo User for 7 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Age: 35 Reason for meds: I was suffering from constant night-sweats, and extreme PMS at the end of my cycles. Due to a history of DVTs I was unable to use estrogen based b.c. My doctor put me on Depo-Provera to stop the night sweats and get my hormone levels back on track. Results: Mixed. The depo did stop the night sweats and mood swings, I never get my monthly break-out, and I've found that I've lost some weight because I'm no longer bloated. That's the good news. The bad news: I spotted or bleed continuously to the point where I became slightly anemic and needed a second hormone based b.c. to get the bleeding stopped."

OHLib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I hate this damn shot. Got my first one in the beginning of March. Had a 7 day period which I normally only last between 3 and 5 days and then dark brown/pinkish spotting for 7 days after. I went 3 weeks with no period and on 4/17 I started spotting again and haven't stopped yet and it 5/9. I'm not getting my next injection which is scheduled for next month at all. I'm letting this medication leave my system and I don't recommend it to anyone. For all of this I'd rather go off and deal with my regular periods and my man and I will be careful. Depo is not a good birth control for anyone."

Ki lynn May 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my first shot March 12, which was the first day of my period. I bled for 7 days and then it went away. 45 days later I started a period. I have been on for two weeks now. My doctor prescribed me premarin which is supposed to stop the bleeding completely. I'm also to take folic acid, B12, and iron pills because I have lost so much blood in so little time. I'm always weak, tired, sleepy​, and extremely cold. Let's hope this premarin works."

Eyes_b May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I had my baby the end of January took the shot in February. It made me break out so much, lost some hair, and I am angry all the time. Aside from that I never really got the bad symptoms I barely even bleed. It's now May & I'm due for my 2nd shot the last week of May however I started feeling very light head and nausea. I took a pregnancy test turns out I am pregnant. I'm so upset because I just had my first daughter and am unsure if I want to continue this pregnancy. It might have been my body but I wouldn't trust the shot."

Jessoti94 May 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I took the shot once and from the week I took it until the week it ended it was literally impossible to have sex, it hurt everywhere. Inside and at the opening. We tried to have sex maybe 4 times, just for a few seconds until I couldn't take it anymore. Husband went crazy! The GYNO said that I didn't fit the profiles for anything like endometriosis or vulva-something, nothing. I was a medical mystery with no reason to be having so much pain. There weren't other symptoms or side effects for anything, the doctors were all just like "I don't know - good luck". And I bled for 80 out of 90 days. Profusely. As far as protecting against pregnancy, I don't know, because I had sex a total of 48 seconds in 3 months."

dawnnamkp May 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been on the depo shot for 3 years and for the most part it does keep you from getting pregnant. My first 2 years on the depo went quite smoothly but I have noticed that it made me very depressed and messed up my sex drive, but the last few months I've been noticing that I've been very moody, depressed, spotting, nauseous every other day, weight loss & I've also been feeling very dizzy and weak. I've also heard that it takes a while to get pregnant once you get off so I do not recommend, I will not be getting another depo shot & I regret ever getting it."

Nicole0987 May 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my shot February 7 day after I had my son I was bleeding like crazy this is been going on 3+ months my ob said there's nothing they could do and I'm currently still bleeding ugh"

Manseau May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 18 years old and I've been on the since I was 15, two months before my sixteenth birthday. I have done loads of research on this shot and after taking it this long and reading everyone's complaints, I have reached a final conclusion that this shot has deteriorated my health tremendously. I have always had problems with feeling depressed but ever since I got on this shot I've been feeling so horribly suicidal and anxious, my mood has been affected so badly too. I am always stressed or not really sure about what or how I feel. I have really bad abdominal pain, and not to mention the worse headaches and dizziness of my life. I am constantly dizzy and fatigued and i gained lots of weight. It prevents pregnancy yes, but not worth it."

Catlover3000 May 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Awful experience on depo. Only had one shot - never again. Bleeding non stop for 3+weeks. Serious mood changes and anxiety. Total loss of libido! Been to the docs twice but nothing can counteract it so stuck with it making me feel lousy till it wears off. Do not recommend this contraceptive to other women. I would rather have be sterilised than feel the way I do !"

Debelost79 April 30, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Hi Jadeb as I have shared in my previous posts about my experience. Got my shot January 6 2017 bleed for for while which was heavy finally had to go to hospital because my blood level was critically low. Had to get blood transfusions because I was bleeding for 3 plus months heavy with clots. Please get your levels checked and take iron pills. Long story short my GYN did a D&C April 7th. It was the best decision. After the D&C I bleed for one day then spot for 7 days after no more spotting. I'm so relieved that I finally stopped bleeding. Because of this procedure. Please go see your GYN you may need to get this done."

Betty- lue 2017 April 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had the IUD for almost 10 years but started to have abnormal lower abdomen cramps in the last few months to remove. So I gladly removed it and what a relieve it was. Now I decided to try the Depo shot. So the first few weeks no period and now I'm like bleeding for 3 weeks now. First dark brown then bright red for two weeks. Stop bleeding in 16 hrs then I'm bleeding again. This is not good. I can't have no intimacy with my partner, feeling week at times ( which I'm already anemic) mood swings, buying pads like crazy. I'm sick of this. I'm not going to enjoy my vacay. I dislike Depo with a passion"

SweetP305 April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started depo September 23rd 2016 I recently got my 3rd shot March 23rd. Mood swings are awful and I constantly have brown discharge or it will disappear and look normal and then bam bleeding out of nowhere like a gush and today its dark with small clots. I don't know what to do guys my boyfriend doesn't like blood so our sex life hasn't been the usual 4 days a week its more like 2 days every 2 weeks. Its kind of became a burden. Like most of you I have a hard time remembering to take pills so a shot every three months on the 23rd (I started depo the day I got my period) I used to bleed heavily on my periods to the point where I had to wear overnight pads for the first 4 days of it. Now honestly I regret ever being on depo."

Joceline marie April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went on DEPO a few years ago for about 1.5 years. Before my cramps were so bad, I couldn't function for days. When I went on DEPO, it stopped my periods and cramping completely and drastically improved my quality of life. I went off the DEPO, because my fiance was stationed overseas and there was no point to be on it if he would not be around for a couple years. I went back on it in December 2015 a month before he was coming home. It was TERRIBLE!!!! I would have my period for 3 consecutive weeks. I would be good for 1 week and then it would start again. It was so frequent that I wouldn't even trust the week I didn't have it. I went off of it in December 2016. I will NEVER go back on DEPO"

KCHS1369 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "UPDATE: I wrote on here March 7,2017 complaining of bleeding since January, it is now April 26,2017 and I'm STILL bleeding. Almost 5 months!!! I only had one shot and I'm bleeding for this long... Anyone who has experienced this, how long did it take for the bleeding to stop? Did you period go back to normal?"

Jadeb April 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "It was terrible! The beginning was fine I was having sex and wasn't pregnant so I was fine then 3 weeks into using the depo I was bleeding everyday !! Not even exaggerating it was so unpredictable I had maybe one day without bleeding a month and it wasn't a full day it was a half day! I was bleeding for 5 months and went to the doctors and they said I was anemic and gave me a hormone medicine to stop the bleeding I was still bleeding. Maybe around the 6 or 7 month I stopped and just gained a massive amount of weight I was 170 and went all the way to 250 while I was playing sports and working out. I finally got off and they told me it could be in my system for up to a year while I'm still trying to lose weight. I DON'T RECOMMEND"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2017