User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.1

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.6 1,313 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "Oh my goodness, I got such bad eczema as a result of the depo shot. It's been 3 months since my last shot and I'm never using it again. I started using it last year October. The side effects were awful: trouble sleeping, hair loss to the point where I had to shave my hair, eczema got so bad I was always scratching and doctors cream made it worse my skin felt like it's on fire, bad mood swings and dark thoughts, I became overly sensitive, short term memory loss, headaches, felt so much pain wearing high heels (probably the bone loss side effect), dry skin, I gained a bit of weight too, the non-stop bleeding for first 3months after the first shot. NEVER GOING ON DEPO AGAIN!"

Amber (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2018

For Endometriosis "I started depo 20 years ago for birth control & never had any issues. In fact, after the first injection I lost 10lbs without trying. I think because I’m estrogen dominant, the shot keeps it in check. It completely eliminated all my PMS symptoms & evened me out. I went off it every couple years for a few months because of the bone loss warning. However, during the time I was off it, I started having horrible endometriosis symptoms. I now take it every 11 weeks faithfully & with the exception of the week before the shot is due, I am completely symptom free. I’m 42 & still weigh between 108-114lbs. The shot if anything keeps my weight in check by managing the estrogen. I’m sure some people have different reactions & the shot may not work for everyone, but for me it’s been amazing."

CJ (taken for 10 years or more) September 24, 2018

For Birth Control "If you’re looking for something to tell you whether or not to get this shot. This is IT!! You are reading this review for a reason and the reason is that this shot ruins you. It’s literally toxic. 3 months ago I was an energetic, excited for life fun loving 20 year old. After about 10 weeks I have experienced every single physical side effect. Extreme dizziness, bleeding, nausea, paranoia, violent thoughts, mental breakdowns, severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts. It changed my entire life upside down. I have never experienced any of the side effects before ever in my life!!!! Do not even risk the chance of this drug working out for you. It should be banned in my opinion. So sickening that actual licensed professionals would willingly prescribe this to women knowing what it ~could~ do to someone’s physical and mental state. I have two weeks to go and hope I start to feel like myself soon after that but man don’t even mess with this toxic drug. Just remember once it has been injected you can't get it out!!!"

DontDoIt (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst experience of my life, be SCARED of this drug!!!! I got one injection and slowly fell into a deep depression. 2 weeks before my second shot I was hit with every possible side effect. I quit my job, and had to seek help to become myself again. This drug is too good to be true, and not worth risking these side effects. It works great for some but if you are looking into Depo because of convenience like I did, it is NOT worth it. I have suffered from depression, anxiety, nausea, extreme dizziness, loss of appetite, prolonged periods, and many more. Please save yourself the trouble and don't even try it."

britta (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Horrible experience; I received my 1st shot in May to prepare for fibroid removal surgery in July, have bled since May and got my 2nd shot a few weeks ago for BC and to assist with additional fibroid growth. My dr never explained the bleeding on these shots could continue for years, and I will NOT be getting another one."

Ugh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on depo in high school for 2 years, I’m 28 now so 10 years ago, I had no problems with it! It stopped my periods completely. I haven’t been on any birth control since then and I decided to get back on it. Worse mistake in my life! I got my first shot in June, by July I started my period which was very light at first and then it started to pick up! The end of August I was still on but it picked up heavily! Blood clots every night for a few nights and then Thursday Aug 23 was when I had the worse bleeding in my life! I went through pads every 5 mins, blood clot after blood clot! I started to get so weak that I went to the hospital and I had to get THREE blood transfusions because I lost so much blood! While in the hospital my obgyn wanted me to start a new birth control pill, it’s stopped the heavy bleeding and clotting the next day but to this day I’m still spotting. I will never in my life get this shot again! And all of that was only with one shot! Do not get on it!"

Nikki September 14, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "No one should ever go through the things this shot makes the body go through. I got this shot about 3 months ago and have been bleeding every single day since, HEAVILY, and yesterday I was just running errands and I sneezed and so much blood came out of me it poured out of my jeans, when I got home it kept just pouring out like buckets of blood. I was in so much pain, it felt like my insides were being pushed out. My husband had to hold me up in the shower because I could barely stand I was so dizzy and weak. This happened one time before a month ago but not as bad. I’ve had to reduce to wearing women’s Always diapers so my clothes won’t be ruined. I hope this bleeding stops soon because it’s making me so weak and my moods just all over the place."

Michaelaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been on this for about 7 months and they have been awful. I bleed more days than not, maybe getting a couple clean days a month. My skin is usually very clear and I've been having awful acne. I am on a strict diet and although I haven't gained weight, I struggle to maintain and losing any more weight seems impossible. Worst shot ever."

Yoda68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I haven't been on birth control in 13 years and I decided to get the depo last March. It's now September and I am still bleeding. Haven't had a clean day yet. Before I got the shot I've always had normal periods with zero complications. My sex drive disappeared completely! Never ever get this shot yall!!!"

J.k. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on the depo for about a year, and I was told by my gyno that my bleeding should end by my 3rd or 4th shot. She didn't even tell me I would bleed in the first place. I have been bleeding nonstop since I started with the occasional day in between or even an hour. I have RUINED all my period underwear. I have ruined nice underwear because it picks and chooses when to bleed. My 3rd shot was the worst, as it went from spots to always having a tampon/pad. I plan on discontinuing by the time my full year is up. This was one of the worst mistakes of my life. Killed my sex drive because who wants to have sex when they're constantly bleeding. TL;DR: (Too long; didn't read) This is garbage. Don't take it. You'll regret it."

givemeblood (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 31, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I tried the depo shot about 14 years ago. No issues at all except weight gain. I didn't​ even have a period after the first shot. Got off the shot, had a kid (who is now 12 yrs old) and decided to get on birth control (BC) after having to take a Plan B pill (emergency contraceptive pill) after I pregnancy scare. Got the shot about 2 months ago. No period for about 3 weeks but then all of a sudden I have been lightly spotting for 5 weeks now. I researched what could stop it and read that raspberry leaf tea really works. I drank 4 cups a day like instructed for 3 days and it didn't stop so I gave up on that. Found some expired old birth control pills and got so desperate that I started taking them today. Hopefully it stops the bleeding. I haven't been able to have sex with my fiance in a month and my anxiety has gotten much worse. Please don't take this drug. It's legit a nightmare. "

Ms.Bubbles (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Birth Control "Best ever after I had my first baby on July 7 2012 I was on the depo for a few months did not get my period at all, no symptoms at all then when I stop using it and in less than a month I got pregnant with my 2nd baby. After I had my second boy on September 2013 I was on the depo for almost 4 years never got my period except in the 1st year I did get it for 3 days normally. Anyway then I stop getting it again since I want it another baby and I got pregnant in a month with my 3rd baby..."

Jess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using Depo for about two years now. I think I have stayed on it this long due to the convenience of it. I never experienced most of the side effects, but I did gain about 5 pounds that will not drop. My period lasted for almost a month when I first got the shot, but then went away completely. That is a huge bonus for me since I had extremely heavy, long, and painful periods. For me the depression and anxiety was definitely the worst part of it. I do believe circumstances played a part, but some of it was certainly due to hormone imbalance. I have experienced these side effects on and off for the duration of my use. I am looking to get off it now because of the threat of loss of bone density. I am at my two year mark. However, I do think if that was not a problem I would stay on it."

CJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I was put on this for birth control over 20 years ago. Now I been off it for 15 years my body has not recovered . I have pituitary tumor in my head and no period at all and it sucks if want ever have a baby this is not for u ..."

Hate u (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Got my shot in March and I have been bleeding non stop with maybe 1 day without and then back to heavy bleeding ever since then. That was my 1st and last shot I will get ..this shot is horrible"

Anonymous August 24, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "By the age of 16 I was put on birth control pills just so I wouldn’t bleed out because I was becoming anemic I was getting really sick and bleeding for 2 weeks long every month. Pills worked then stopped working and I was getting my period for months at a time. Tried another pill, tried an IUD had it taken out after a month due to bad pain. This was when I went into surgery and they found cysts on my fallopian tube‘s and endo. My last option was Depo and at first it was great I stopped bleeding I didn’t cramp. Until I started randomly gushing blood. Then I started to have to be dilated every 3 months to clean out uterus. Now I have been off of depo for about 6 months and the bleeding is awful, I’m bleeding through super tampons in an hour, and in extreme pain."

Emma Peterson August 22, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Horrible experience. I don’t recommend getting the depo shot. Got my first shot start of March 2018 and decided to not get a second one as it made me get acne prone skin. Been bleeding everyday for the last 5 months, and only have stopped bleeding about three time all less than 10 hours each time. Makes me very moody too."

Anonymous August 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this birth control for about a year now. I used to have extremely painful periods, the cramps were awful. I would get so nauseous on my period as well. When I first got on the shot I didn’t have my period for 2 months, it was great but the 3rd month I was bleeding lightly. After the first shot I stopped getting my period. The pros about this birth control is that is it very effective. I’ve been having unprotected sex without pull out ever since I’ve been on it and never got pregnant. I don’t recommend having unprotected sex but that’s just how I prefer to do it, and we are in a long term exclusive relationship. It also completely eliminated my painful cramps and I haven’t been getting any period symptoms at all. The cons about this birth control is that you will gain weight. I always struggled with my weight ever since I was a child so it was a no brainer that I would gain weight. Before the depo shot I weighed around 145 pounds and now I’m 160 pounds. This birth control will make you HUNGRY."

Meghan August 12, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I will NEVER take another depo shot!!! I took it for my heavy periods, but the whole 3 months that I was on them, I may have went one week without bleeding. Now being off of the depo for 5 months, my periods are worse than ever. I don't even want to leave the house for the fear of ruining my clothes in public. The depo shot is trash!!! DO NOT GET IT."

Spookygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I started depo when I was 18 I was on it for 3 ½ years it did it's job, I didn't get pregnant. However I noticed my hair became really brittle and thin, I had increased anxiety and experienced a lot of weight loss. I took a break for 2 years and half way through the second year I got pregnant with my first child. I decided to resume with the depo after my pregnancy because I didn't want to get pregnant immediately after having my first child. I'm currently on it and have decided to discontinue it all together because symptoms have worsened. I have extremely achy bones in my back and knee joints, my hair is still brittle and I have extremely painful periods now. I consulted with my doctor and even she recommend not to use depo as a long-term contraceptive. I would like to say good things about depo but it's not good for your health or your bones and joints in the long run."

Jay (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Yes it keeps away the babies but the side effects are terrible. I was fine the first 6 months then I would bleed up to 2 months, heavy everyday. It eventually just stopped. A couple months ago I started living EVERYDAY with horrible anxiety & panic attacks. I've checked myself into the ER about 8 times, just to find out I am totally fine. I never, ever used to deal with anxiety. I have a 15 month old son and my anxiety has stopped me from taking him places, because of fear of me falling over if I had an anxiety attack. Coming up our stairs triggers my anxiety. I do believe I have slipped into depression being that I'm scared to go anywhere. My shot will be ending at the end of this month and I'm literally praying I'm back to my self. This is NOT ME. I have always been a fun, strong minded female, and now I'm too scared to even take my son to the park. This depo shot had mentally & emotionally messed me up. I will be done with all birth controls after the DEPO experience."

Koda August 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Honestly, I expected a lot worse with this shot. It’s pretty convenient. I understand a lot of people hate taking hormones and it doesn’t work well for them, but I’ve actually had an okay experience. No cramping AT ALL. For the first few shots I bled for weeks at a time but it was so light I didn’t need a pad. Now I have no periods. No mood swings either. My only complaint is odd joint pain every so often and I’ve gained 20 pounds since starting the shot! But honestly, Depo does what it is supposed to do."

cj August 4, 2018

For Birth Control "Got the Depo shot starting at 16, had it until just this past either Nov17'. Loved it! NO period at all! Once in a RARE blue moon I'd get a random "OW CRAMP" for a hot 2 seconds then be fine again. No weight gain or worse acne, no change in moods. Only reason switched to the implant was cause my doc (same doc I've had since 16) advised to since my bones already aren't so great,& it's been shown that Depo can(like all medicines "can" have adverse reactions) make joint pain & "bone pain" more problematic. I'm almost 29 now, have had Nexplanon since the switch (Oct/Nov17') & I'm already wanting to go back to my good ol depo! Now see my cousin on the other hand won't go near depo ever again, says she felt like it "literally made" her go/feel crazy. To each their own, just like not everyone in the world has anxiety like I do, this medicine won't be for all! Just do as much research as you can &decide for yourself."

CatLady (taken for 10 years or more) July 27, 2018

For Birth Control "First time ever trying any type of birth control. I made a mistake of not doing research before getting the depo shot. While it is a convenient drug, it gave me a lot of side effects. It led me to depression and anxiety, which are two things I never felt before taking it. It also gave me night sweats, mood swings, and low libido. There were so many days where I felt so empty and dead inside. I hate the depo shot so much. Till this day, I still have depression, anxiety, low libido, and mood swings. Depo shot doesn't work for everyone, and it's going to stay in your system for a long time."

hatethedeposhot (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Depo has been very good to me. My skin actually clears up when I'm on Depo and I my weight stays constant or I even lose a bit. I went from size 38 to 32 and now I'm on 34. I used the pill (triphasil) once because I wanted a regular period but the nausea and mood swings that came with that weren't pleasant at all."

Soso (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes