User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Endometrial Cancer 1 reviews 8 medications
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.4 1,697 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

Ms.Queen · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I feel better knowing I'm not going through this horrible experience of Depo-provera alone. I loved the depo just because I didn't have periods over 5 years using this shot. And now to bleed every day longer than 10 days is very depressing. I would like to know what I can do to make this bleeding stop. This can't be healthy”

AliciaMorgan September 12, 2020

For Endometriosis: “At 22 I was diagnosed with stage 4 Endo. At 24 I had a hysterectomy. At 28 I had a Salpingectomy, and at 29 began Depo for the second time in my life after an incredibly painful cyst ruptured. I am 30 now and my dr and I know that at some point, one at a time, we will remove my ovaries. This info is important because I don’t have a lot of the “equipment” most women have when dealing with this disease. Pros: I was so estrogen dominant that I now feel stable for the first time in 15 years. My anxiety levels have dropped and, despite the craziness of 2020, am not feeling depressive where I normally would. My daily pain has gone down significantly and my intense pain doesn’t last as long. Cons: a bit of weight gain. I’m pretty active and healthy but have seen about 8lbs that are difficult to get off. My sleep has been more interrupted by heat flashes but as my body adjusts, that seems to be getting better. Overall, for me, Depo has been worth it.”

Shae · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “This birth control Depo-Provera is the worse birth control ever made. Don't get it - it will mess you up. I bled every single day for months and good birth control doesn't make you bleed everyday heavy so you can't have sex anyway. Think about your options don't choose Depo-Provera it's awful ”

Shonda · Taken for 10 years or more September 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “It has not done anything negative to me. I've never gained weight, haven't had period in almost 11 years, only spotting maybe 3 times out of 10years..is this a bad thing”

AB · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on Depo for 10 years without missing a injection. I had no side effects and LOVED not having a period. Something in the drug has obviously been altered because I'm having a period now, and nothing else in my routine has changed. This began around February/March of this year (2020). I've still continued to get the injection, but am questioning what exactly has happened to the drug and why patients have not been informed about any changes to the drug.”

Shay Marie · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “For the last 3 months I've been non stop bleeding. My hormones are way out of whack and it's making me want to literally do ANYTHING to stop the bleeding. This drug also made me gain close to 100 lbs in 2 years. Before this drug I was a size 2. Now a 16...”

Advent September 1, 2020

For Endometriosis: “I have been on the Depo-provera injection for close to 3 years for Endometriosis. It has made a huge difference. Pain is gone or super mild. No periods. Downside, the injection site is always sore for a few days, as well as my legs after injection. I may spot for a little after injection as well. I can tell the injection is wearing off towards the end of the three months because I start feeling my endo pain and I start getting acne. Have I gained weight on the Depo? Yes. But I don't believe it to be because of the Depo. For one, these past three years I have dealt with a lot and I mean a lot of stress. Marriage issues, loss of a parent, moving, job stress, etc. I'm definitely an emotional eater. But these past six months I pulled myself together, started exercising and eating healthier. I have lost 30lbs!”

Kitty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Depo-provera for about nine months. I would bleed consistently for a month and a half... CONSISTENTLY. The other month and a half would go by fine. Sometimes the bleeding would start at the beginning month and a half and sometimes it would start at the ending month and a half. This caused me to get so many bacterial infections (my doctor said the bleeding was throwing off my PH). I was cranky and depressed for no reason. Yes it did prevent me from getting pregnant but the side effects I could not deal with!”

Vick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’ve took depo awhile back when I was around 17/18 , I’ve never experienced bleeding like this I recently got the Depo-Provera injection again because I have really horrible periods and extreme cramps, so I decided that I would go back on depo it was the worst thing I ever did. I experienced light spotting when I receive my first injection but I went in for my second around July 2020 and I’m still bleeding non stop and it’s getting very overwhelming because I can’t have sex with my boyfriend or if I do I have to take a shower first it’s really annoying I don’t recommend it to anyone you’ll be depressed for months”

Breaonna · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had my baby 5 months ago and decided why not get on depo so I won’t get pregnant again. I’ve been bleeding since I left the hospital from giving birth. That was 5 months ago. I’ve been so depressed and weak IDK what to do”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was weighing about 130lb in December 2019 when I got my first Depo-Provera shot. I gained 50 pounds and it's August 2020 !! I weight 180lb now. I have so many stretch marks on my legs. I wouldn't recommend at all. I have so much spotting randomly. I have nightmares almost every night. -100/10”

JNK · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was on depo from 2008-2011 with zero side effects. My periods were gone completely after the first shot and I had no weight gain and minimal mood swings. Fast forward to July 2020, all finished having children I got the shot again. I’ve now been bleeding heavily everyday for three weeks straight. Looking at this review forum makes me think the manufacturer made a change in early 2019 that quite obviously is not working with the majority of women’s menstruation. Who wants to bleed every day for a year?! NO ONE. I WILL NEVER GET THIS SHOT EVER AGAIN. NEVER.”

Jenny August 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “This is a disaster for wasting undies and products. Real sick of this brown sludge for the past almost 3 months. I recommend switching. Only went on this to avoid the yeast infections that Junel Fe gave me”

Anonymous August 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on depo-provera shot going on 9 months and so far I love it because I have absolutely no periods and only spotted maybe once for twice for a few hours and that’s it. I haven’t gained much weight even if I did. I was weighing around 115 when I was active but since college and not being active I’m up to 120. I cramp every now and then but mostly when it’s almost time for my next shot! I’ve heard some bad things about it though so not sure how long I’m going to keep doing it but so far I love it!!”

Niki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2020

For Endometriosis: “I have been having the depo-Provera injection as I have endometriosis. It has worked wonders for me, after the first 2 injections I was spotting a lot, but after the third it stopped my periods completely- which were so heavy and painful. The only down sides are when I first get the injection I am really grumpy for the first few weeks. My sex drive is no where near as high as it used to be and I have gained weight, which the doctors tell you will only happen if you eat more. I find this not to be true, I have been exercising more than I ever have and eat so healthy all of the time. No matter what I am doing I can’t seem to loose the weight.”

Scout July 28, 2020

“Happy to be one of the few that Depo-Provera actually works for! Been on it for about 15 years, the first time for 13 years. Went on it at 17 years old because of my unbearable periods. I only get brief cramps before my next injection now. I never had side effects the first time, my skin's only been bad when I'm NOT on depo-provera. I also developed melasma when I went OFF of depo. I went off it for 1.5yrs which seemed to throw everything out of whack. I've been back on it almost 2yrs and had side effects this time. I gained A LOT of weight, and my sex drive? It doesn't exist. I hate to blame these on depo though, as maybe the lack of sex drive is partially because of my weight gain. And maybe my weight gain is partially because I'm not 17 anymore? Maybe don't go back on depo when your hormones suck lol it's hard to say, I do wish I never took that break from Depo though. All in all 11/10, I wish it worked for more people ”

Salem0 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

For Endometriosis: “DON'T GET ON DEPO-PROVERA. As someone who has struggled with endometriosis for about 10 years, it is nice not having a period...BUT I gained 40 FORTY pounds in 3 months. I was about 90 pounds and was excited when the lady told me average about 10 pounds are gained. I am 130 now and I have had to buy a new wardrobe. I suffered from an eating disorder when I was in high school, now graduated from college and recovered, I am starting to hate myself again. Not worth it.”

Cry Baby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Well I now know why this is a method of birth control....CUZ u won’t stop bleeding enough to be able to have sex!!!! Day 32 bleeding and counting.”

Mika · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2020

“My first and last injection!!! Got the shot in March ..spotting brown sludge every single day in April and May. Now it is June heavy bright red bleeding ! I just want this drug out my body I have experienced every single side effect weight gain, acne, prolonged spotting and bleeding and depression ! Depo is like a poison in my body. These side effects are ridiculous and there's nothing you can do but wait it out !”

Meelah June 13, 2020

For Birth Control: “So I took my shot in May 2020 after my period came off and at first I had tenderness where they injected me in the butt. It's June now after two weeks I started feeling period pains but not a period just cramps really bad and nauseous, because when I get my periods I have to boo boo a lot throw up and I get hot n cold and cramp really bad, and have no appetite. Like I would not recommend but if you have cramps bad drink some tea with ginger in it and honey the ginger helps so much almost instantly love you guys God bless”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got my first Depo-provera shot third week of October 2019. It is now June, I've had 4 shots and I’ve bled almost everyday. Sex is painful because progesterone makes me dry and I’m bleeding all the time. Almost 9 months straight of bleeding. I want to stop but I’m trying to wait for the 12 month mark where they said bleeding stops. We will see.”

Christina d. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I can't believe all the reviews I'm reading about the shot making you bleed for weeks or even months because now its happening to me. I got the shot for the first time in late April and I started to bleed about 2 and a half weeks ago. And I'm still bleeding. This really sucks. Being on a period everyday is not what I signed up for. I will NOT be getting it again and I just want my period to go back to normal. Would NOT recommend getting this to anyone!”

NicknameNotmyrealnamr · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “When I first got the shot I bled for a month straight. This is pretty normal. Then I didn’t have a period for the duration of my time on the shot. However....I kept starting and stopping. Don’t do this or else your body will have to start all over again. Like if you stop and start you body will have to go through the cycle and you might go through the bleeding for spotting for a month or so.. But after my 3rd start over I just didn’t bleed anymore during the adjustment period. I was on depo for around 2.5 years and I got paranoid that maybe I might become infertile. That’s a risk for almost every medication though. I’m currently off the shot. It took 6 months for my period to come back after I stopped the shot cycle for good. Which is what actually scared me the most about me being infertile even more. But 10/10 pregnancy prevention for me. This baby was like metal armor for me. I am hoping to get back on it soon.”

Jd · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got this Depo-Provera shot in May on the first day of my period and it stopped. Ever since then I have been moody, have had cramps all day. It’s June now and I’ve started spotting bright red. I’ve been feeling anxious all the time as well. Please don’t do this to your body!”

Summer2012 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got the Depo-Provera in January - the only one I had. My heavy bleeding started the very next day and now 5 and a half months down the line I am still bleeding a heavy period everyday!! Doctors can not work out why or what is going on !!”