User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.1

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.6 1,350 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Endometriosis "I have so many mixed feelings!! Too start with the good side effects, my cystic acne is gone!!!!!!! So amazed! I've been struggling so long. My endo pain has gone down tremendously and I'm honestly surprised because I forgot what it felt like to not be severely hurting. I hear a lot that this makes people gain weight but so far I've lost 5 pounds! Now, this why I'm just torn between staying on this or not. I'm only in month one so maybe the negative side effects with go away but they are BRUTAL! It has given me such severe exhaustion that I can't keep my eyes majority of the day (even if I get plenty if sleep)!!! I'm so scared to drive and work is difficult because I will randomly fall asleep! I have to drink so much Caffeine to just barely make it through my day. Also, nausea is BAD! I hardly throw up from it but it is definitely uncomfortable! Also, my mood swings are INSANE! Im honestly embarrassed about it and it's ruining everything right now."

Faye (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the depo provera and on over about 3 years and I would getting spotting for like 2 weeks with the first shot and then by the second shot no period at all. I did gain weight for sure. But never any depression or anxiety or any other problem. It did decrease my sex drive a little but overall it has been worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2019

For Birth Control "This is by far my favorite birth control I had it for 4 years I was sad when my doctor made me go off of it ( you can only be on it for a certain amount of years because of bone deterioration) I never had my period or spotting and no mood swings. The only thing that sucked was the weight gain. 15lbs..."

TJM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

For Birth Control "I would rate this drug 0 out of 10 if possible. Yes it helped with my periods (I didn’t have them just a bit of spotting) and I didn’t get pregnant! I had my second shot two months ago and I won’t be going for a third. I am EXTREMELY moody, depressed, anxious/nervous and I always feel on edge. I have also been getting paranoid about my relationship, has anyone else experienced paranoia on this injection? Definitely do NOT recommend!!!!!"

Vic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

For Birth Control "Overall 8/10. I give it 10/10 for effectiveness. I am very petite - before the Depo I was 4'11" and 97 lbs (not anorexic, I eat all the time) and my periods were irregular to begin with. I have been on the Depo for about 3 years now and consider myself lucky after reading reviews - I experienced some weight gain (was 110 lbs at max) and a few mood changes. However I started going to a gym 8 months ago and now maintain a good weight at about 105 lbs. I have not had my period in over 2.5 yrs which it's nice not having to deal with it. Only some cramps here and there and some anxiety, but it isn't bad at all and I don't have to worry about whether it's going to work or not. Everybody is different! I only wish birth control was easier for women."

ak (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve been bleeding for three weeks, heavy, nonstop and I’m exhausted. I can barely stay awake and have experienced huge clotting. This is my first time on any kind of birth control and it will definitely be my last. I’m so upset I could cry the cramping has been unbearable."

Not happy! (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I just got my depo early part of February! My cycle came on March 11, at first I was only spotting now I’m having a full period and it’s be 9 days! And I’m having cramps with it!"

Coco (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am adding yet another negative experience. I got the shot and wish I didn’t. I knew it sounded too good to be true and also kinda creepy. I was so hesitant to try any birth control but the promise of no period was so enticing. Well after a couple weeks of no bleeding. I now cannot stop bleeding. At first I thought I was having a miscarriage because the clots were so large. Even my husband heard it fall in the toilet and was shocked. It was so so painful and I’ve had 3 kids so I know pain. These clots are painful to pass. It 6 weeks since the depo provera and I’m still bleeding but now it’s so extremely heavy I have to empty my diva cup every 45 min or sooner and it’s literally overflowing. I can’t get over how horrible this is and that doctors are recommending it! I am so angry at my Doctor right now. Thanks for ruining my life."

BleedingMum (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "The Deop-provera Brith control shot is the worst!!! I had taken it seen last year of May 2018. When I got it the first time I was ok, just myself. The 2nd shot the same, 3rd shot the same but the 4th shot - it’s change me. I don’t feel like myself even my husband knew I wasn’t been my self. On Feb 2 when I got my 4th shot the first 2 weeks I was fine till out of no where. I felt different I was crying for no reason. I was super sacred what was going on because I never felt like this before. I was crying to mom because I didn’t know what was happen even my mom didn’t know. So I was talking to my sister and cousin about what going on. I told them I felt so down, I don’t feel like me. They all said "is it the birth control" and if it is after those 3 months it would be over. I been going to church and I’m praying to god that I get back to normal self again. Because all these side effects is not like me. I get it every women is different. A lot of people ask why don’t you try the pill or other things. Nope, no I would never take depo again."

Queen (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Birth Control "The Depo shot has been very effective. I have only been on it for 3 months now and I have experienced weight gain - a lot. I am 18, 5’6 and when I was first on the shot I was 135 pounds. Now I’m 148 to 150 at the end of the day. It’s really sad for me. I was a varsity swimmer and have been lean most of my life. Some other side effects I have is bad anxiety, depression, being exhausted all the time and loss of interest."

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2019

For Birth Control "Depo provera was awful. I gained over 35 pounds. I couldn't stop eating. I was extremely depressed. I couldn't even drive over a bridge without getting anxiety. Unfortunately, it took over a year for me until it completely was out of my system. I feel like I wasted almost two years of my life on that stuff. I was also a slave to going to the doctor every couple of months. This thing NEEDS to be off the market and I'm glad people are starting to come to their senses about Depo-provera. I do NOT RECOMMEND."

Mik March 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "From the day I started the depo til this second I have not stopped bleeding. I’ve been on the depo for 5 months and not looking to take the 3rd round. It’s affected my mood, it’s affected my sex drive, it’s affected my relationship, and it’s affected the way I feel about myself. It’s always heavy bleeding and when I finally feel like it’s going to stop it gets worse. I’ve ruined every pair of underwear I own. I feel so gross and disgusted with my body that I don’t even want to have sex and my partners been understanding, but it’s hard for him as well. As soon as I wake up I just want to go back to sleep and always wake up in the WORST mood which affects my relationship with my partner and family. My doctor recommended to get the depo, but then wouldn’t see me for medication to stop the bleeding, he has the nurses help me when I’m there. I DON'T recommend the depo at all."

Mad abs (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I did the depo shots for about a year and a half when I was 18. When I first started then I gained maybe 5 pounds in the first 6 months. After a year it became 10, and following those 10 the weight just kept packing on, even after I discontinued the shots. I gained a total of 90 POUNDS. I ate the same as I always had and exercised regularly but the weight came suddenly and didn't stop. I'm not pregnant but it did make me lose my sex drive and caused me to gain a crazy amount of weight. DON'T DO IT. I'm 22 now and had to have weight loss surgery to help me lose the near 100 pounds gained."

FioreBella (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "It did what it was supposed to which is stop my periods and prevent pregnancy, but it gave me some pretty bad side effects. I have only had 3 shots so far and I am definitely ending it and going to try an IUD. 1. Weight gain, I gained 15lbs even though I workout every day and I am pretty good about eating. I have been craving chocolate and ice cream a lot but this wasn’t a huge deal to me though. 2. My acne has gotten worse. I went on accutane 4 years ago and I didn’t break out til I started this birth control definitely sucks to have my acne back. 3. Constant headaches. 4. Dizziness. 5. Memory loss. This is the reason I am changing birth controls. I can’t remember anything. I work at a small restaurant and I used to be able to remember a table with 4 peoples orders and now I can’t even remember drinks. I can’t stay focused. I constantly feel emotionless. I feel like I am not all there. What sucks the most is I have to wait until it expires so feel better again."

Monica February 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the shot once and it was TERRIBLE. I experienced crazy depression and mood swings, as well as acne that refused to go away no matter what I did. It was effective at birth control, but I wouldn't wish these side effects on my worst enemy."

onewithacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2019

For Birth Control "My experience with this shot has been nothing but good, with the exception of irregular spotting for the first couple months; however, after that I was period free. This shot has NEVER made me depressed or anxious the women that are experiencing these feeling maybe prone to these symptoms. I suggest you go to a psychologist if you encounter these feeling during the shot. Lastly I have been on this shot for 2 years and have not gained weight. Ladies if you are gaining weightprobably you should probably try to eat healthy and work out, if all else fail go back to the Doctor for advise."

Cali (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2019

For Endometriosis "I have been on depoprovera for almost 2 years now, it was working great no side effects and also keeping my endometriosis under control (the main reason it’s all I can use). Suddenly I started having large gushes of blood while not on a period with the depo provera. I would spot for a few days then stop then a large gush, heavy enough to bleed through my oversize pad and my clothing. I have had many ultra sounds, MRI, and still no answer to why this started after being on it for so long. If anyone else has experienced that I would love to know if you have found a cure. I need the depo to help my endometriosis so unfortunately I can’t use any other form of birth control."

Emmamp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I received the Depo shot December 11th and everything went fine. After my 2nd sexual encounter, I began breakthrough bleeding and has been bleeding from January 7th- 21st...I will not get the 2nd shot in March. "

Show January 21, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Is there a class action suit against this company??? We need to start one!!!! After getting 2 Depo Provera shots, I bled for a YEAR and a half STRAIGHT!! I had 3 blood transfusions until my doctor said there is no other option other than a hysterectomy. I was 39 years old then and was planning on having another baby with my husband but I couldn't. My blood level was 5.3 at one point, my doctor said it was the lowest he had ever seen in any patient."

NikkiNY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I really hate this birth control and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone ! Don’t let anyone fool you and say “You won’t get your period..” blah blah blah blah blah ! I’ve it’s my first shot, and I got it on November 17th 2018. Girl I didn’t bleed for the rest of November and half of December then BOOM ! I started bleeding and never stopped. I’ve been bleeding for 23 days straight and my next shot is next month, and guess who isn’t going to get it ? Birth controls and I always had a love hate relationship. So I will not be getting on any other birth control ever again in my life! They’re bad for you bodies women. You’re body is more important take care of yourselves!"

Rain (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I got on the Depo shot January 2016. I gained 20 pounds my first couple of months, but that was in combination with the fact it was my freshmen year of college & I ate a lot of fried food. For the first year everything was great- no periods at all! I got on depo because my body rejected contraceptive pills because of the estrogen levels. In February 2017 I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. I didn’t know they could hurt that bad! For the first 24 hours with the severe pain it was so bad on my right side I thought it was my appendix! But then I bled and yeah. Then March 2018 I got diagnosed with 3 more ovarian cysts, one being 10cm, so I had to get it surgically removed. I also get spotting every week before my depo shot is due. Overall, if you really don’t want to get pregnant, the shot is great because I never have to worry about remembering a pill & it is SUPER effective!!!! But it has caused a lot of problems with my ovaries & my OBGYN wants me off of it this year & on something else"

absolutelyali January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "So I got on the depo shot on the summer of 2017 and ended it in December 2018. I was suppose to go back for my shot but decided not to . When I first got it was great the thought of not having to deal with a period excited me . I spotted for a week then it went away, so I was like okay this is great since I’ve always had heavy periods . WRONG !! Acne bumps started on my thighs at first I thought I was allergic to my body wash so I switched body wash which helped a bit . But I noticed every time I was up for a shot my acne would clear up . Then in June 2018 I started spotting I’ve been on my period since then it’s January 2019!!! Now. I hate it !!! So what sex life ? None because I’ve been on my period !!!! Plus side I didn’t gain weight it actually helped me loose weight while I was on it. It just didn’t work out for me ."

Val (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have large fibroids, and endometrial Hyperplasia. First, I tried Motrin. The bleeding slowed down, but only until the meds wore off. Next, I took tranexamic acid. The bleeding slowed down, but I had horrible migraines and random sharp pains. So, I stopped and resumed taking Motrin. Next, I tried Norethindrone Acetate 5Mg. Side effects were heavier bleeding, larger clots, bad cramping, intense headaches, and extreme depression. Strangely, combined with Motrin, it temporarily stopped the bleeding. However, because of the side effects, my doctor put me on Medroxyprogestrone Acetate 10mg (Depo-Provera). This would also treat Endometrial Hyperplasia. Combined with Motrin, this worked best for me. Side effects are mild cramping, and slight headache. I’ve been on this medication for 4 days and have light bleeding. Hopefully, bleeding will eventually stop completely. So far so good!"

Friday (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "Avoid this form of birth control! It made me gain 30 pounds, worsened my mood, and gave me severe abdominal cramps. Now that I have my period back, I cramp 3 weeks out of every month, as opposed to 1 week a month before starting Depo. Try any other form of birth control except the shot!"

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "The Depo shot is the worse birth control anyone can take. DO NOT TAKE!!!! When I first got my shot I immediately started feeling sick and was in and out of the hospital for two weeks due to throwing up everything I ate and not being able to function. I wish someone would’ve told me about the shot. However, it didn’t make me bleed for months like it does a lot of girls but the feeling that they shot caused me and the depression. I wouldn’t wish it on my worse enemy. Do yourself a favor and chose a different form of birth control PLEASE."

Jackie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019