User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 467 reviews 169 medications

3.2
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 1156 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "WORST SHOT EVER!! I just had one shot done and didn't even give the 2nd shot after 3 months a try. Gave me horrible head aches, acne that's so huge I look disgusting to even go out in public, pain on my right ovary 24/7 , made me super mad and angry to the point my bf broke up with me and I'm even off the shot now and still have pain on my ovary . It's been 7 months and I only had one shot just ONCE and still no period . It's really upsetting and it makes me suicidal . It also made my boobs tiny IDK how that's possible but they went from C cups to As and still not back to normal ."

Starlove84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This shot is terrible and I do not recommend it at all. My mood swings are terrible, I was put on an anti depressant because it made my anxiety terrible, and the abnormal, random, heavy bleeding with no warning after being on it for almost a year SUCKED. Not only was the bleeding random and heavy, it was for weeks at a time too. The shortest period I had was about a week. The only good thing that came of it is it definitely prevented pregnancy for me and I didn't gain weight from it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am so thankful for this birth control. I switched from the pill to depo because the pills gave me horrible anxiety and depression. Immediately after I switched, I was myself again. After two doses, my periods stopped. I know birth control affects everyone differently, but I have had no negative side affects at all. My only complaint is after every injection, I would get a headache for a couple of days. I'm 21 and I just hit the two year mark, and my doctor recommended that I switch to a different BC this month and I'm so sad and nervous... I am worried about getting the negative side affects of a new BC after being worry free and comfortable for 2 years."

Allie321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have just hit the 2 year mark of being on the shot. Which they recommended to stop at this point. I am unsure what birth control to choose next. I have endometriosis and the shot has helped soo much by stopping my periods but it has also caused almost all side effects it can cause. Weight gain, drowsiness, headaches, fatigue, awful acne, swelling in my legs and ankles for over a year, you name it I've experienced the side effect.. I do recommend it for endo patients with severe pain and bleeding but those who don't have endo I wouldn't not recommend it as the side effects would not be worth it."

Alicyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is the WORST damn injection do NOT GET it, 2 of my friends bled badly for 4 months after shots of this and I personally suffer a stupid condition that has no cure be warned. This will cause an autoimmune issue. Should be FDA banned"

Cheyaalora July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on the shot at 19 for about 2 yrs then went back to pills. I decided 6 months ago to go back to the depo, I had no bad side effects at 19. Now 24 the side effects of this shot are terrible. My anxiety has worsened, I'm depressed but the over all worst is the acne! Cyst acne on my neck and chin. I've never had acne not even as a teen. It's awful. It's gotten much worse. I spent 80$ on acne meds!!! Not to mention it has know estrogen in it! I'm due in 2 months for my next shot. Defiantly not getting it again! Going back to pills to hopefully get back to my normal self and skin!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I went on this because I was tired of taking pills everyday. Within the 1st dose my periods stopped and I thought Wow this is great. However in the 2 doses that I had I gained 40 pounds. I was on the pills for 7 years and I had steady weight. If I could go back I would NEVER switched to the Depo Shot. Worst decision ever!"

amanda sch. July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the shot six weeks ago. About a week after I started to experience stomach problems, and had daily, painful diarrhea. After two weeks of on and off diarrhea my bowel movements backs solid but rare, and then after that I would experience a lot of gas after eating. All of my stomach problems stopped after five weeks. I also have been diagnosed depressed and haven't found the shot to make it any worse. I've also experienced a lot of binge eating on the shot but haven't gained weight. I used to have a very painful first day of my period (bad cramps, diarrhea, gas, vomiting) but once I experienced my period on the shot I just had cramps but no blood. Im not pregnant but my period has stopped completely."

Conejo triste July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took depo for 5 years. Loved it for the most part. First starting it was kinda rough. I lightly bleed continuously for 3-5mo for the most part. I had really heavy periods before hand so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. After about a year on it my periods would stop for 2.5 months then start 2 weeks before my shot was due. MY SIDE EFFECTS: I gained 20 my normal average -30 pounds heaviest being unhealthy on depo. I started when I was 19- stopped @24. So weight gain is pretty normal so I'm sure it wasn't all depo related. I also slowly lost my sex drive and it became nonexistent. After 5 years I'm getting off because I think I didn't take enough calcium and now my joints started to ache. REMEMBER to take 1500 mg calcium**"

Coleyypdx July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've recently gotten back on the depo probably at the beginning of June and I've been bleeding for almost 2 months they put me on birth control pills but that's still not helping. I need something to stop this bleeding it's getting out of control"

Niecy123 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wish I could give this a zero. I had my son August of 2016 and my periods were so heavy I was diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and I was told to get on a birth control to control my bleeding. I chose the depo and received my first shot February of 2017, and my bleeding stopped for a bit but returned in March. I was spotting then it went on to light bleeding. I received my second shot in May. I started bleeding more. I became anemic (unknowingly at the time). In May I passed out due to low iron and broke my nose! It has lowered my immune system, I found out also in May that I have mono. In June I got strep throat. My iron dropped to 8.6 almost needing a blood transfusion. I've been bleeding every single day since March!"

kjuune (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the depo shot 6 months ago. First month was normal no bleeding, normal sex, no weight gain, no problems at all. After a month I had heavy bleeding was no longer able to lose weight started breaking out and had horrible cramps. I've been experiencing these side effects for 5 months and my Dr does not know what is wrong. DO NOT GET THE SHOT"

Anna_mariee18 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took the shot June 7 2017. Thats 2 days after my period i thought everything was going to be fine I didn't bleed or even spot for the first 2 months! Then I started spotting for a week and now its getting heavy. Its been almost 2 weeks with constant spotting/ bleeding. Reading all the reviews now is making me wonder if its good for me or not. If my bleeding doesn't stop by the time I take my next shot which is on August 3. I won't be taking the shot any longer. I may try take it another time but if I have constant bleeding thats a big NO for me. I'll just take the pills and have a normal period, rather than ruin my body and ruining my relationship ugh! My boyfriend is really understanding but its ruining my sex life. "

Naomibx3 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started blood thinners for DVT, two days late started period was bleeding so bad was in the restroom every 10-20 mins..7 days later was in the hospital was slightly anemic less than 48 hrs later ended up back in the hospital blood count was 6.1 had to have 4 units of blood over two days they gave me a depo shot to stop the bleeding it took almost 72 hours to work now a little over a week out of the hospital I have started bleeding again...idk what to think about the depo all I know is it isn't working for what I need it to be."

Sammie1979 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis "This is the only medicine that I've tried that controls my endometriosis symptoms. It has been a MIRACLE. The first shot caused intense hunger that lasted about a month. But I have not experienced any weight gain and have in fact lost 10 pounds with diet and exercise while on depo. The first month also caused some bad adult acne but I got that under control with acne washes. I've had some occasional light spotting that requires an ultra thin pad for a day or two. There was 1 bad period when I was due for the second shot, but since then, I haven't had any periods at all. It's been 6 months and this shot allows me to live a normal life, make plans, and work a normal job without having to miss numerous days."

FriedaKahlo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I just had my first shot 2 months ago. I have not been my self, constant headaches, serious contraction pains, loss in Sex drive. I have been bleeding for almost a month. I feel sick all the time, no energy and I am experiencing hyper pigmentation on my face. I have become so dark, also I can't sleep well and loss of appetite. I can't wait for it to wear off. I am not getting it again. I hope I return to my normal self after it wears off"

Ceby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had the IUD, and got it taken out due to severe cramps and other issues. I got on the depo shot to try something different hoping it would help. I just got my first dose a WEEK ago, and I am a completely different person. My mood swings are the WORST. I'm always angry, irritable, nothing van make me happy and I'm always depressed. This is a horrible way to live everyday life. I can't make it better and my mood doesn't change. It definitely helped with my cramps and bleeding, but these mood swings are unbearable and I can't tolerate it. I know this shot works different on everyone, but it's certainly not for me."

Hannahhconda (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "If I could rate 0 I would ****WARNING PLEASE LISTEN**** IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THE DEPO SHOT AND HAVE BIPOLAR DEPRESSION PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS THAT MAY OCCUR!!! =====> Extreme mood swings, irritably, feelings of familiarity, odd sensations and worse depression. If you are considering depo please take caution if you do have bipolar depression. It works differently for everyone but I just know I don't like the outcomes and I feel that I should just fore warn others just in case"

Lynnhall96 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis "I recently tried depo provera for my endo, and it worked great for my heavy periods and also the pain. I barely have any flare ups like before. But my hormones are going crazy or I'm going crazy. I'm irritable all the time and I get so mad over nothing. Wondering whats worse to go through pain or the damn moods swings....."

Loune June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I received a second shot of Depo April 2017. I'm writing this post late June 2017. I have been bleeding for 11 weeks!!! I will not be getting it again"

Jennarenaes June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Please steer clear of this. I was on the injection for about 8 months when I unknowingly had a miscarriage. I never had my period when I was on depo and never imagined I could be pregnant until I was in the ER. It was such a traumatizing experience, I hope nobody has to go through what I had to go through because this injection failed to work."

ANDMmd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I received my 1st shot a week after giving birth in 2015, I bled the entire 1st month then it stopped completely. So overall I loved being on the shot, I am very petite so I enjoyed the little weight gain, BUT it did decrease my sex drive. I also began having slight headaches maybe once a month, which caused me to finally switch birth controls after 2 years. But I did love the shot overall an I recommend it, especially if you're practicing abstinence!"

Mrs Green June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Got this shot as a recommendation from my dr to stop the bleeding I had when my IUD didn't stick. It stopped the bleeding for a month then came back slow bleeding for half a month then full on heavy bleeding with large blood clots for now 2 months. I was soaking though a purple 10 hour pad in and hour sometimes 30 minutes. I lost so much blood I was admitted to the hospital and received 4 blood transfusions. When released from the hospital they said nothing on how to stop the bleeding or if it would stop. I've been out of the hospital a week and I'm still losing so much blood. I can't even go to work because whether I'm sitting or standing I go though two 10 hour pads and an adult diaper in an hour."

CassyDF (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got this shot in May for the first time. My doctor told me I would stop getting my period (which I never had any issues with). I figured since I have a horrible time remembering to take my pill that I would try this shot. NEVER AGAIN!! I have the worst mood swings ever and I've been spotting for a month. I rather get my period once a month then spot for an entire month. I will NOT be getting the shot again."

Darbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I loved Depo. I used the generic from age16-21. My insurance stopped covering the shot. I miss it! On my first shot of depo, my period got shorter and lighter each month, and on my second shot, I don't think I had a period. I know by the third shot, I trusted depo. I threw away my emergency period travel purse before the end of the first year and never had a single drop of period for 5 years. Miracle. No condoms, no pregnancy. It helped my acne. My negative side effects were it changed my personality. I felt less social, lower libido (still functioned well), and some doctors tried to diagnose me with depression. I experienced sleep paralysis once every 6 months. Those negatives don't outweigh the positives for me!"

MissMyDepo June 15, 2017