User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 27 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 349 reviews 162 medications

3.5
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 855 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I had to switch my birth control to a different one because the Depo shot made me gain so much weight and I had continuous on and off spotting for a week and i kept getting this pain in both my legs and could get ride of the pain so I would not recommend this birth control to anyone"

Destany159 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Worst experience of my life. Three months of bleeding, constant cramping, acne on my back (which I've never had in 24 years), and lightheadedness. Despite the terrible side effects, it ended up being pointless because why would I want to have sex when I'm constantly bleeding."

Ddddd12345 July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "So far so good. Haven't had any problems within the first 2 months. Definatly going to carry on the shot :)"

Emily8303959 July 25, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had problems with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) fainting around my period. I was tested negative for anemic. The doctors tested everything and everything was negative. I started the shot in March and it is now July and I gain 10ish pounds (which is common) and have not fainted at all! Great medicine. Works different for everybody."

Marie899 July 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Honestly, would not recommend. It sounded like a pretty good deal; not having to take pills, potentially losing a period but it caused more trouble than good. I went from having clear skin (rarely a zit) to the worst acne of my entire life all over my face and back, weight gain (while running 3-4 miles 5 times a week), and non stop spotting and two week long periods. Just started back on the pill today, and hoping all the side effects go. Good luck!"

Megan2222 July 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I went off of depo 2 years and 7 months ago. I can not have a period on my own, so I no longer ovulated. We have been seeing a fertility doctor for 7 months. I can only have a period and ovulate with medication, but we have still had no luck. The only thing they can find wrong with me is the shot. I'm so upset I may never be able to have another child. Do not take this if you ever want to have children. That's not including the side effects during: severe weight gain, mood swings"

Can't get pregnant (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on the depo shot for 6 months so 2 injections and my experience was over all good it was very effective in preventing pregnancy i had unprotected sex and did not get pregnant. However while on the depo shot over 6 months i gained 45 pounds! I went from being 120lbs to 165lbs from october to april it was crazy it worked very very well and was extremely easy to get and the injection mildly hurt but the weight gain is the reason i stopped getting it."

Nickyeastman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Took this form of birth control because it was safe while breastfeeding. This was very easy one shot good for 3 months but I experienced the worst side effects, weight gain, cramping, and spotting for almost 2 months straight."

Newaprilmom July 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Depo has been AWFUL,I had my child February 2016,bled that whole month frombthe baby,then had my regular period,started the shot in April and have bled every day since,its now July 17. I'm almost on my second pack of lo loestrin and it still hasn't stopped. "

Ammssxxo July 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the depo shot for 7 years. I was 120lb when I started and now I'm 192lb.. I have constantly tried to loose weight and can't... I'm 24 years old and have experienced a lot of the side effects.. Weight gain ,hair loss, mood swings joint and muscle pain, constant headaches and dizzy, no sex drive at all and more.. The first three year I had spotting every now and then and would some times bleed for 12 days straight.. And then I was only getting a period once a year....I just recently stopped the depo shot after getting a lap procedure done ... I was told that I may not ever be able to have kids because of how long I was on the depo. Others say it may take 2 years... I decided to stop now in case there might still be a chance"

Mrk1213 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding for almost 4 months. I did not get the second shot because the bleeding, I hope it stops soon since I didn't get the second shot. Worst experience ever"

Suzyq12 July 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ive been taking this shot since April 2016 and i swear i started bleeding June 4 and i havent stopped. I have jabbing pain all the time. I never know when Im going to need a pad. I may go half the day without any bleeding and then then go to the bathroom and bam blood. I recommend not getting this thing it is absolutely awful :("

Babyblue30 July 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had this medication for a couple of days and my period stopped like normal! I haven't had any bleeding what so ever yet or any of the bad side effects emotionally at all! I think this birth control will work for me for sure. The shot is very convenient (and not as painful as I thought) as a 18 year old who is horrible at taking pills every day. Plus it's free for me so that's great! Hopefully it will not cause my body any issues!"

MarissaJade July 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on Depo-Provera for 15 months and the only negative side effect I experienced was weight gain, which is why I recently stopped. I loved the ease of the whole process and the high efficacy of the drug. I had 2 periods my entire time on the shot (yay!), didn't spot, it didn't break me out, didn't mess with my mood, BUT I gained a lot of weight (which did plateau). When I got off, I immediately got my period and my skin broke out worse than it has in the last year. I also am experiencing a definite decrease in energy. Overall, I recommend the shot and I may go back on it in the future, but pay attention to your side effects!"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2016

For Birth Control "Getting off the depo... Ever since I've got it, I've had horrible headaches every single day, the only thing that helps is Exedrin Migraine. I've gained 20+ pounds & im extremely moody & tired all the time & I spit out of nowhere. I loved the shot at first but I'm getting off of it."

fieldhockey2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've been using the depo shot on and off for about 5 years now. I got off it a few years ago due to the increase in weight gain that I got. so I switched to the pill. after a while I decided to go back onto the depo shot. in February 2016, I received my first dosage and everything was fine. near the end of April I began to get my period again, just figuring I needed to go back in for my next injection. after I got my second dose, my period has not gone away since APRIL. I have been bleeding for over 3 months now and I just cannot deal with it anymore. my doctor won't do anything about it besides tell me to wait out the three months for the depo to leave my system. well here I am... 3 months later and bleeding heavier than ever."

mishhhhhhh July 6, 2016

For Birth Control "This was the biggest mistake of my life. My doctor and I thought it might help balance out my hormones and help my migraines. It did the opposite. I had migraines for days on end with no relief not even form sleep. My skin has been clear with the occasional pimple. My entire face is now covered with acne and my back. My period was more painful than ever the one time I had it on the shot. It caused back and hip pains. I also gained 25 pounds. I only got the shit once. it's been 5 months and I'm still waiting for it to leave my system completely."

sguzy July 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My first shot was 17 years ago I remember being told by many people it made me crazy! I was also an active addict. I took dp off and on for a couple years it took me 17 years to finally get pregnant also I had only been sober for 6 months out of that 17 years in which I conceived after 6 months of being sober. It had been over 10 years since taking the shot which I try to blame too. I now have two babies and tried the shot again for about 9 months now. I would much rather have another baby than what it does to my mind and body. It's not good for me!!!! Will be glad when it's totally out of my system has only been 2 months since I was suppose to have gotten a shot I feel allot better just knowing I don't have to take it and I can get better"

Insanity shot me July 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on the depo provera shot for 2 years. Absolutely hated it. The two years that I was on it. I had rapid weight gain and gained 30lbs in two years. My mood swings were awful and became much more depressed. Also caused my anxiety to become worse. Wouldn't recommend this birth control to anybody."

Lala024 July 5, 2016

For Birth Control "Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Say No To Depo! Worse experience of my life! been off for almost a yr and im still bleeding, body seems like it just want return back to normal. That stuff is poison!. I will never get back on Any birth control don't care what it is"

Alizae Rozae July 3, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the depo shot after having a very painful period, and it seemed to work great, but only for one week after the shot. After the one week of no bleeding, I began to bleed straight everyday (some days heavier than others). When I told my Dr.'s (several specialists) they told me it was just spotting and when I get the 2nd shot things would get better, but I wouldn't call filling up a regular tampon on every hour spotting. I wish I told my Dr. The real amount of blood is was losing, because I would have never got the second shot. It has now been six months of bleeding for me. My second depo shot reached it full experation over a month ago, and it doesn't seem like the bleeding has lightened up at all. Depo has been the worst experience."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It's been about three months for me but these last three months I been bleeding for two weeks stright every month and this month it's going on three weeks. It sucks I'm having bad mood swings and real bad headaches."

Danyelle14_ July 1, 2016

For Birth Control "While on the depo I had no issues other than severe weight gain. They tried to tell me that I was eating more and that's what caused it, but I was very strict about what I ate so I know without a doubt it wasn't that. Once I stopped the depo, about 2 months after I stopped the shots, I started cycling. My cycle was heavy and painful, and it hasn't stopped nearly 2.5 years later (I very rarely get a day or two where it isn't bleeding). I'm still in the process of getting lab work done and finding a resolution. Depo seems to work wonderfully for some people, but it works terribly for others. I'm not sure if there's a way to screen if it will work well with your body or not, but because of this I wouldn't recommend it."

Rae89 June 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had horrible experience with this stupid shot. I've been bleeding now for A MONTH non stop. It's awful I encourage NOT to get the shot. Unless you like bleeding for a month non stop and it still hasn't stopped !"

Bai June 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I first got on depo almost 9 yrs ago. I was on it for 2yrs. Almost immediately after the first shot up until the month after I stopped I had no period. But I also had gained 45lbs after 2yrs! After stopping, my periods immediately returned to normal. I had been off of depo for 5yrs and had regular, unprotected sex with my boyfriend of 4yrs now and did not finally conceive until after 2 1/2yrs of actively trying. Finally conceived, thankfully! Decided to get depo once again and this time, I have bled/spotted off and on since I have birth randomly sometimes 2weeks at a time and it's been 8months postpartum. Decided to stop injections and try different route. Also since it took so long to get preg. before doc advised to stop sooner next time"

chel_z (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2016