User Reviews for Depo-Provera

5.4

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.6 1,377 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I used the shot for just over a year and I really liked it. My period stopped as soon as I got the first shot and never came back until I had been off the shot for 5-6 months. I did gain 30lbs but it was my freshman year of college so other factors definitely contributed. One other side effect I had a problem with was a dramatic decrease in my sex drive. I never wanted to have sex or even thought about it which sucked! Overall though I loved the shot and would still be using it if it hadn’t been for the decreased sex drive."

Sky (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I took the depo shot right after birth of my baby and then I had really bad anxiety and depression I had to get on medicine , but I would go to the ER thinking my body is ready to shut down , just thinking I'm about to die ... they did every test they could just to tell me everything is fine. I can't even drive with out me going into a panic. And I been bleeding for 3 months straight with blood clots that come every time I use the bathroom . I would never in my life get this shot again it is so scary and it makes me dizzy too . I can't wait to feel normal again"

Mmm June 13, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I don’t recommend Depo-provera to ANYONE. I started a year ago and I bleed for 1 month straight. My area down there got really irritated from wearing pads all the time it actually started to burn. Went to the gynecologist and she said the bleeding will stop and it did until I got my next shot. I bleed for about 2 weeks with spotting in between so I never really had a clean day. The drug messed with my mood tho. I was more aggressive and impulsive then usual. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use this method."

Life (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2019

For Birth Control "Hi! I used Depo Provera for over 20 years. Yes, you're reading right! TWENTY YEARS! I had a great experience overall. After the first shot, I was bleeding for about a month and then no more bleeding ever! I absolutely loved that side effect. I never got pregnant so it was 100% effective for me as birth control. I did gain a lot of weight, 75 pounds since I met my life partner almost two decades ago, but other factors might have contributed. I did not experience any mood changes and my bone density screenings were always fine. A couple of years after I started the Depo I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism but I don't know if using the Depo could have contributed in any way. My sex drive did diminish though. I do think that this was probably related to the Depo because last year I had a hysterectomy so stopped the Depo, and I noticed a dramatic increase in sex drive. Still, I think it is a great birth control product."

Carol June 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I would never EVER recommend Depo-Provera as a birth control option to ANYONE!! I had my first shot around 3 weeks ago. I’ve had crippling headaches ever since. Constantly feel sick, mood swings and the onset of depression is QUICK!! I honestly cannot wait for this shit to get out of my body! DO NOT EVER TRY THIS! Condoms are the safest as no hormones put into the body and will save you a lot of hassle!!!"

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Depo-Provera is the worst injection...if you love your life don't get it"

Sameeksha (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2019

For Birth Control "This has ruined my life, took my Depo-Provera first shot on April 12th, 2019 and being on it I have massive mood swings, memory loss, headaches, I use to have 2 jobs and now have no desire to work. I use to be very very driven women and now I don't even want to leave my house/bed. I would never recommend this to anyone, I have never been in such a dark place in my life and have constant thoughts of deaths. My sex drive is gone and my relationship is in danger and so are my jobs. This makes me feel bad, evil, horrible, non stop. It's hard to smile laugh or have any joy at all. Please do not take this medication ever. It is just not worth it."

Starr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I took Depo-Provera for about nine months back when I was nineteen (about four and a half years ago) and quit because I was moved away from my doctor. I had very light spotting for an extended period of time (about a month) during my first shot, but after that was over I only had a light period once every three months when my next shot was due. I currently just started up again. I'm three weeks in with not even a single spot. I have light headaches though those may be because I'm headache prone, no increased appetite/weight gain, no sex drive changes. It's all just a yet, but I still believe this is the right birth control method for me. Plus it's cheap for me - $10 a shot."

K (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I used to suffer from severe migraines on a weekly basis if not more frequent then that, my doctor wouldn’t prescribe me anything other than Depo-Provera and I’m glad I listened. I haven’t had a migraine since starting the injections. The only time I’ve had a close call is towards the end of the 3 months before my next shot. Highly recommend"

Aleighcrp (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my first shot Christmas Eve 2018. Apart from mood swings, my period stopped for 2 months (I was actually happy about that because it's usually a horrible time for me). February 25th my period came with absolutely no signs of stopping. On March 3rd 2019 I was due for my 2nd shot, I told my doctor that I've been bleeding for the past 2 weeks and she said not to worry, it will end with the next shot. So I got it. (BIG MISTAKE) Long story short, today is May 22nd 2019 and I'm still bleeding. Doctors only prescribed painkillers, and it seemed to make things worse for me. A lot of cramps, passing huge clots. I had to go ER! Missing work! Going to bed and waking up exhausted. Depo-provera is the absolute worst. It should be banned. I would never recommend it."

Kim May 22, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on Depo-Provera on and off for about 6 years and I started when I was about 15 years old, the first couple years were great besides slight cramping randomly but after that I would have lots of pain. Sex was so painful and any slight orgasm I had was followed by literal crippling pain (cold sweats even came with it too) the only way to get rid of the cramping was taking strong pain medication it made me dread even having sex because I was scared of the pain, this medication also made me angry towards everything. I have been off of it since November and it’s mid May, so that’s about 7 months of no periods at all."

Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the Depo-Provera shot for about 5 years. For the first 6 months or so I did have intermittent spotting which was somewhat annoying because it was unpredictable, but afterwards I did not get a period for the remaining years I was on it. My sex drive (may have) been somewhat diminished, but I think that was more due to life getting in the way that the shot. I stopped using it because I no longer had insurance, and I had been thinking of stopping it anyways due to the bone density effects (plus going every 3 months) it can have long term. I am now switching to Kyleena since I tolerated Depo very well."

Tee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have a huge fibroid that grew really fast (10 cm), in tow causing heavy month long periods with large clots to the point I almost needed a blood transfusion twice. I'm still anemic. Tried birth control for five months and it made things worse. I practically hemorrhaged constantly when it would start wearing off. Then I tried depo. I didn't have a period for two months ( yay) then after my second shot in December, I started bleeding, even heavier, with larger hand sized clots. It's now May and the bleeding has not stopped so now combined with my fibroid not shrinking and severe pain in my uterus, I have to have a hysterectomy next month. They can't stop the bleeding. No sex drive, severe mood swings, hyper and tired at the same time no depression though. Waiting on a biopsy so I can have surgery now. This shot didn't work for me and just made everything worse. When I bleed heavy, I soak a super plus tampon in five minutes flat. I don't recommend this shot."

Monique (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2019

For Amenorrhea "I have been having Depo-provera shots for 23 years and my bones are good and I feel good."

Sam (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2019

For Endometriosis "I've been on dep-provera twice. Once when I was younger, I was on it for irregular periods. My doctor stopped it because he thought it was making my migraines worse. Now I'm on it and have been for about 2 years. It was great at first. I don't get a period and I gained some weight, which is good because I'm underweight. It stopped my endometriosis symptoms for a while. But now I'm afraid they are coming back. Not every month, but every now and then I'll get the severe pain and things I experienced with my periods but I'm still not having a period."

mustang19898 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2019

"I have been on the Depo-Provera for over two years now and I couldn't be without it. Apart from on off bleeding for the first two months I've not had a period since I started it. I don't have to suffer with the pain any more and I don't become an emotional wreck for a few days a month. I do suffer from anxiety but I do not believe in any way that it's connected to having the Depo. I've gained weight and lost weight along the way. The gains have been due to not being particularly bothered about my weight and the losses have been due to being motivated to do something about it, simple as that. I dread the day my doctor advises me to stop taking it."

LadyB (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I was very weary of starting Depo-provera shot after reading many bad reviews, however I have had a great experience so far! I am on my second shot, so about 5 months in. After the first month, exactly 3 weeks in, I had bleeding for 3 weeks straight and bad cramps! However after that I have not had a period since. I love how easy it is to use. My boyfriend and I do not use protection of any sort and I have not since gotten pregnant! I do have daily headaches, but I cannot be sure if it is the birth control to blame as I am prone to headaches. On the down side most doctors do not allow this birth control for more than 2 years due to its ability to decay your bones. Overall, great experience! Don't let the bad reviews scare you away and give it a shot! (no pun intended)"

eklei050 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2019

For Birth Control "Got my first depo shot 4 days after my period ended in March 2019. It’s now May 2019 and still no period. Been having mood swings, and been having hair loss. Other than that my sex drive has not been affected. Will update when I get my second shot in June."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had a termination on the 15th of Jan as I already have a baby and I am not ready for another one. Whilst I was in theatre they injected me with the depo shot. Since that day I have been bleeding non stop. It has officially wore off (15th April) and it's been 3 weeks since I should've gotten the next shot and I'm still bleeding.. As my body gets closer to its original cycle it gets heavier then it fades out to me only changing 1 pad a day. I have become so moody and so heartless, I have no sympathy whatsoever (except for my daughter), I honestly cannot stand my partner 90% of the time. I hate having sex and I also have no sex drive. When will it stop? Or is my body messed up forever?"

Mummy21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I took depo provera in December, 2018. I started bleeding two weeks later, that's January. It's May 2019, and I'm still bleeding everyday. My gynecologist prescribed levo, said it will stop the bleeding, but it hasn't. I have cramps and the bleeding comes with thick clots. Depo provera should be banned."

Peace (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the depo for just over 5 years, starting at the age of 27. I'd never been fitter, my periods were unbelievable & so heavy, on the depo I lost weight & had never felt fitter. I'm now 49 & now I need hysterectomy but been offered coil instead (seeking 2nd opinion) but I have to say that within a couple of weeks coming of it I was pregnant with my 2nd son, I only wish I could have it again."

JD (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This birth control definitely kept me from getting pregnant because I’ve been bleeding non stop since my first shot so guess what? I haven’t been having sex. I only had one shot since December it will be May in 2 days and I’m still bleeding. Thus I definitely won’t be getting a second one. I’m glad I found this forum because I thought something was wrong with me. I thought by now the bleeding would have stopped or at least lightened up."

Pointless (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Depo-Provera shot in September of 2018. Two weeks later I got my period it lasted 2 weeks and gradually got heavier and painful as months went on. I was supposed to get the second shot in December and declined. In January I was bleeding and passing hand sized clots to where my iron levels were at 8.8. I had to go to the ER over this. It’s been 7 months since that shot and I have been bleeding for a month and now I’m about to start provera to try and stop it. This shot has ruined my body, it’s poisonous"

bd (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had a first shot of depo provera in beginning of Jan 2019 and will be my last one. I have extremely mood swing and argue all the time with my partner since then, everything is driving me mad and the worst I have spotting since 2 months which is so annoying that I can't wait to see my GP which recommended me that injection. It says on the side effects spotting between periods but not spotting for 2 months and no period at all. Do not recommend it ."

Rally (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Depo for about 4 years my doctor made me switch because you can’t be on it for long periods of time. I have a love hate relationship with this birth control . On my 4th year of having it started to affect my sex drive, I gained 10 pounds, and I started to become very emotional. The other 3 years was great I didn’t have any problems at all, it actually made me loose weight which was weird considering the 4th year it made me gain."

Diam (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2019