User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 482 reviews 109 medications

3.1
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 1193 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I had one shot and came on my period about two weeks late then was on/off quite heavily for the rest of the 3 months, I was on more than I was off in all I think I was off for about 4 days give or take. It’s been a year since I last had the shot and my periods still aren’t fully back to normal, I used to be extremely regular, I now come on twice a month, and never know when am going to come on! I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone"

Jadie98 October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Okay I’m on this medicine right now and I am a older teenager and I don’t recommend it! I mean yes I can have sex but still I’ve been gaining so much weight that I have to starve myself!! I’m always so moody and I never want to do anything. I get very depressed especially at night and I cry so hard until my throat is raw! I don’t mind being able to have sex without worries but it’s not worth all this that I’m going through! I honestly miss my period I feel so unhealthy without it."

Gocam123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I hate the depo. It completely took away my sex drive, so the shot is pointless anyway when I’m not sexually active. I’ve also been on my period/spotting for 7 weeks. This shot is miserable I can’t wait for it to be out of my system. The negative side effects seem to effect more people than the positive! I highly recommend getting another form of birth control. I wish this didn’t even exist."

Okcliv October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had it for two year now. It works great, I haven't had any surprise pregnancies... But, I have gained 40 lbs since then despite exercising a 3-5 times a week and controlled eating habits. The first few months I felt really fatigued and got a lot of large acne flare ups and my appetite increased like crazy - I was never satisfied/full. I gained 10 lbs those first few months. I've had no bleeding at all, which was nice. Those are my only complaints. I will be getting off the shot bc with all my physical activity and limited eating, I still gain weight :("

A-Rob September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I would NEVER use this! Going into my 4th year I started having pains in my pelvic area that lasted 30mins-6hrs. It would wake me up, at the time I had these intense pains I would bleed then it would just stop. Went to OB and got a pelvic ultrasounds, I had tremendous blood clots in my uterus that wouldn't pass. The shot stopped working and stored my monthly flow on my uterus the dr said seemed like it stopped working for at least a year. Had to get cervical dilation to see if it'll come out, it didn't so a couple days later I got a D&C. It's been 3 weeks since and I'm having heavy bleeding. Which I think is only because my hormones are off! Do NOT get on this shot!!! Hopefully I can get something to regulate this!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I’ve been on the birth control shot for almost two years now, I absolutely love it. The beginning of the shot sucks, you bleed a lot and it almost never stops. But after a little while, it takes your period away. I haven’t gotten a period since probably may of this year (no I’m not pregnant I’ve made sure) it hasn’t made me gain weight, or have any other problems! I would highly suggest it."

Jesaunders09 September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Took first shot first of May 17. Had no period until sometime in June. And it was easy to handle. Was put on to help lighten or even stop them. Then July 23 I started spotting. And have yet to stop. Would have rather dealt with my 3/4 days of heavy bleeding then this. You will start to hurt and smell down there as you are basically bleeding to death. Even keeping baby wipes around will make you raw. Weeks of wearing a tampon all day and pads at night for a break and you will be sore. Do not take this type of birth control. Only a handful of people do ok on it."

Kerry 76 September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the shot, and I have been able to have sex with no problems. But, I suggest if you don't know your partner that well then it would be a good idea to wear a condom as well. I love the depo, I don't get a period. The only thing is you have to know how to control your appetite. Because, it can make you very hungry. But, other than that. I believe this is the best method of birth control."

Kaylee p September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Depo shot because I had really bad anxiety. My OB read my chart from my reg doctor, and told me that I should be on some type of BC. I said okay. She recommended the SHOT. Such a bad choice now. I took the shot back in May 2017. I didn't have my period for the rest of that month. Then June 2nd came, I had a normal period. But after I THOUGHT is was done, I had spotting. Up until I started my period again. Then spotting up until my next period. We are now in Sept , I'm bleeding with BIG clots. Please do your research! It made me fell worse. My depression was worse and prolonged periods. I can't stand it. Loosing so much blood makes you feel weaker and tired. DON'T NOT GET THE DEPO SHOT."

Maria0221 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Dr suggested for heavy periods and almost anaemic. One month no bleed but then the bleed started and has now been two months of on/off light to heavy with minor to major clotting. Had ultrasound and have two fibroids. Tummy upset, cramping, fatigue and loads of money spent on liners, tampons and pads. As I took this for heavy bleeding and low iron levels, it has done nothing but cause trouble. Seeing a Gyno today for info on surgery as a permanent solution... but then I am 47 and blessed with children. BIG RISKS to consider if you are deciding on this horrible shot!"

Anae Mia (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on the Depo injections for around 2 years during Uni, having previously been on the Microgynon pill. In many ways, it was perfect for me- it completely stopped my periods, which was so convenient, and I had no cramps or pain at all. The problem was, my skin gradually got worse and worse, and stupidly at the time, I didn't put it down to the Depo. I had always had mild acne, but the Depo made it so much worse and just constant. Finally, I was taken off Depo due to possible bone density issues for long-term use (over 2 years), and switched to Yasmin, which cleared my skin up completely! I know other people who had Depo and it didn't affect their skin at all, so I think it depends on your hormones personally. As BC alone it was ideal!"

Cheerio4226 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my 1 & only shot in March 2017 and immediately felt bloated and sick so I decided not to get another one. I had my first period in May 2017 and have bled on and off every few days since. I have currently been bleeding for 17 days straight and I haven't had longer than a 5 day break in between bleeds the entire time. I'm bloated, hormonal and very tired. I hate not knowing my body or its cycle and am at a loss of what to do. I do not recommend this shot to anyone!"

Bec868686ooo September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I started the shot on July 20, 2017 and the day after I had my period which I thought was normal because my period is usually around that time. But then it didn't go away! At first it started off normally then after 4 days it started to get lighter and I thought it was just about to go away, NOPE!! I was spotting for about 2 weeks. I finally went away for about a week and there it was again. Its September 13 and I'm still spotting. I've been bleeding nonstop for so long and is so annoying, I've done research and talked to other girls and heard what they had to say about when they got there first shot and they said they bled too 3,4 or 6mo! going to get my next shot which will be next month but if the bleeding is continuously then I quit!"

Erma26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started the shot in June. The first month I spotted and when it was about the time I get my period it got a little heavier for two days and back to spotting for 2 more weeks. I've had heavy periods since I was ten, I don't have fibroids just bleed really heavy. I recommend this shot if you have heavy periods. We don't use any other contraception and no pregnancies here. The only reason I give it a 8 is because it made my anxiety come back. This is a secret weapon and I think a lot of the negative reviews are just women who want to keep the depo shot secret to themselves. Give it a shot but also some time for your body to adjust to it."

Fancy G (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started on the shot in May of 2017. The whole point was to control my bleeding from my fibroids. As June rolled around, I got my period, which progressed into July and August and got progressively heavier. This last month, my clots are bigger and bigger and I usually wear the 10 hour overnight pads during the day. Although they last me about an hour. It's ruined my life, my clothes, my sheets"

LenRdh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Absolutely hate the depo provera shot ! I GAINED soo much weight its disappointing! After I had my baby I went back to my regular weight which was 130 , I had my baby on 2/27/17 & had went back to the clinic for my 6 week ob post partum and then the nurse had asked me what wa sI going to use for contraception, and i answered "condoms " and she responded with " you know some condoms can fail - how about some birth control pills, shot, IUD and the nexplanon , these are our top 4 popular birth control options of course we have more but definitely recommend these ! " as she mentioned all of them she started giving me information about the 4 options , so then I decided on the depo , because I'm not good with remembering to take pills every day and at the same time , I definitely don't want something in my uterus or in my arm , at that point depo sounded perfect. I noticed a lot of mood changes, hungriness and weight changes. I was depressed, emotional , most the time , was extremely rude to my husband, and I was tired all the time, all I wanted to do is sleep. I was hungry all the time i was eating every 2 hours I could not control my hungriness and at that moment all I wanted to do is eat and sleep. Then I started noticing I was getting thicker around may waist & decided to checked my weight, I had gained 40 pounds in 3 months and first time taking it! I never went back to get my second depo . I honestly don't recommend any birth control.. I know every one bodies are different but still they are bad for us believe it or not !"

FannyQ September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "Before I was on the Depo Provera shot,I had extremely painful periods..periods that were so painful, sometimes I would have to miss work. I would literally be doubled over in pain all across my lower abdomen, ibuprofen sometimes didn't help. This had been going on for several years, but last December I had enough, and decided to get the Depo Provera shot..I have been period free for several months now, and I feel so much better, I am one of the lucky few who hasn't really experienced any side effects. The Depo shot has been a miracle in my life, no more painful periods!"

LilTattooPrincess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I will never ever take this shot again I was on it for about 3-4 years and when I got off of it and got married it took me 3 years to get pregnant it put me in a deep depression!! If anyone is kids in the future I highly recommend get on a different form of birth control!!!!!"

Carebear21 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on the depo shot since March 2017. That same night I ended up having a bad chest pain. Like someone stabbed me. Then it stopped for a couple days and then back again. I didn't think much of it. So further on I stopped having pains until my second dose in June 2017. Then it was my back hurting on the right side. It would hurt off and on and then go away for a few weeks. As 4 weeks pass I started having pains again. Waking me up in the middle of the night. I kept feeling like I was going to vomit but it would never come. So I went to the ER and got checked. They took blood samples, urine samples, chest and back x-rays. Everything came back negative. Then we thought it was my gall bladder and still nothing wrong. Not doing the third"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Have had the shot twice now. About to get my third. There's been some irregular bleeding. And it's mostly after sex. But no full period. No cramps, PMS, never wear tampons or pads anymore. It's been very efficient! I've taken tests just to be sure too! "

Samcb25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Please don't get on this bc . I've been on it for 4 years. It's made my life hard work and now after I've been off of it since March. I'm now bleeding out of control at times. It's like its never going to end. I don't know what to do. I wish I would've done some research before getting this birth control. I'm embarrassed at times and becoming stressed out . What can I do to slower or maybe even stop this bleeding?"

Jessic August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "When I first got it I didn't bleed until the last month I started spotting but it was a very dark brown blood and so I told my doc so she gave me birth control to stop it. So the second shot which I'm on now made it stop for the first month but I barely just got off it and now I'm bleeding very heavy and cramping bad everyday."

Zxsn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had 2 doses of the shot. One in October 2016 and then Jan. 2017. I literally had a period from January til August! That's 8 whole months! I would not recommend this form of bc unless you don't mind bleeding. I had to start bc pills to regulate my period again."

Nina P. August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Been on the shot for 5 months now and over all I don't mind some of the side effects (to me they seem mild). The most annoying one is the irregular bleeding, for example: I've had 1 regular period since the start, then it stopped the next month, then I bled (spotted) the whole next month, now I am just spotty throughout the month on and off. I still get PMS symptoms, but they're not as intense as before use. It did not help clear up my acne (existing hormone issue) but it is less of a hassle than the pill. I did increase my Vit. B intake with this method (as recommended). I rather deal with irregular spotting than a child so I will continue use."

Working as it should. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the shot to control my bleeding and cramps from fibroids, so I thought...however, this has been the worst decision ever. I have had heavy bleeding and tons of blood clots. I only took the shot once and won't be getting it again. Also, it has increased the acne of my face, I'm suffering with severe depression, and my sex drive is gone. Lastly, this keeps me from wanting to have sex anymore because it's embarrassing...who wants to have sex with a blood hound! I feel incredibly stupid because I normally do my research but I let the doctor talk me into it as she claimed it was the best option due to my challenge with high blood pressure. This was the worst decision ever and I won't be getting it again. I'm stuck riding it out!!"

LadyJ43 August 23, 2017