User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 473 reviews 109 medications

3.2
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 1167 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I got the shot in June due for another one in September . I am debating on whether to get it again or for the main simple fact I have irregular periods its looks its going to start but never does . So just a warning a lot of these reviews are true personal experiences. And I don't think I want it again"

Cowgirl1256 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ok so I have been suffering for two years now. I'm 25. I had this so bad I was anemic with huge blood clots, finally doc gave me d&c a month later started up again it got so bad again w clots. He said depo shot and another d&c he gave me the depo shot last week. I'm not even kidding you it stopped immediately. I'm so happy I was really suffering and now don't even need the d&c. The only bad part is I want more kids like soon but my body needs a rest from this. I'm 100% for the depo shot it saved my life."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had only one shot. I was spotting for 3 months everyday, experiencing cramps, dizziness, nausea and mood changes. I never took another shot, yet I am still spotting and I still have abdominal pain, irregular bleeding and my mood is changing rapidly. I would never recommended this product to anyone. Whats more, I think It should be taken off the market immediately."

Janaxx August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on the shot for almost a year in October I went to my doctor today for my shot I am still bleeding I bled for a week straight I want to stop bleeding I had blood clots for 3 days the blot clots stopped now I am bleeding heavy before my shot my doctor said the lining of your Uterus sheds that Is why I was bleeding I know that when I am on the birth control needle it takes a week to work I hope that the bleeding will finally end so I can stop using pads."

Weddinggown August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 41 years old and have four kids . I don't want to get pregnant again so I decided to have injectable contraceptive depostrust . First shot was Mar 24 my menstruation stopped for 2 weeks but after that I have spotting . Last week of May I have bleeding and its getting worse so I have my injection June 1 . Up until now I have been bleeding 4 months already . I'm afraid . Is this serious ? Pls help . I can't sleep . Any insight will help me . Thanks "

Xtin August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Y'all I had this shot ONE TIME last Aug and I'm still bleeding! I'm only 23 I want a baby my husband is a marine and we can't even do anything when he is down for time off because I have constantly bled since aug2016! "

Shelby. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been on the shot going on four months I have bleed the whole time except for two weeks I just got my second shot it helped the bleeding slow down but still bleeding no wonder you can't get pregnant heck who wants to have a bloody show that's not to attractive. No sex=no baby!"

Erica Singer's August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wish I could give this a ZERO star. They warned me that I could have some abnormal bleeding.. but, nobody warned me that I'd be bleeding enough to support the Red Cross. My blood count is low - which it never has been before. Not to mention the acne, the attitude, the sore breasts, and the emotional instability to go along with it. The REAL reason this works as a birth control is because nobody on this medication is doing anything even remotely related to sex (oh yeah, I forgot to mention - no sex drive). Even if you had a sex drive, it's a bloody war zone!! Nope! Hopefully someone, anyone really, will read this and think "nope, I'll go a different route", and I will have saved someone some MAJOR heartache and struggles."

BloodyHell (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took one shot , at the end of Feb. 2017. Missed my next dose on purpose because the Depo completely killed my sex drive. A week after my missed dose, I had severe anxiety, had to leave work early because of it. I've struggled w/ anxiety in the PAST and had learned to keep it under control very very well. This time I could not stop the intrusive anxious thoughts, and life had been going well, so no reason to be anxious. I also experienced a period of depression which seems to go in and out. It's been 2 months since my missed dose and although it's less, anxiety and depression is still there. I would not recommend any type of HORMONAL BC to anybody because as far as I can see, many other types of BC cause the same effects during or after."

MOOD SWING HELL (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been using depo for 4 years continuously and it has been such a blessing. I've had no side effects. I haven't had a period the whole time I have been on it, and I personally love that."

AshleighA July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I never have used any birth control until after I had my baby so I got on the shot right afterwards. The pros no period, no pregnancy. Cons my sex drive was like a on and off switch, weight gain, also no energy so its been a year that I've been on it I plan on getting in the gym you have to stay active with it I want to get off it but don't want to get pregnant and don't want to try anything else. I thought about the pills but don't think I will remember"

Anonymous July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "WORST SHOT EVER!! I just had one shot done and didn't even give the 2nd shot after 3 months a try. Gave me horrible head aches, acne that's so huge I look disgusting to even go out in public, pain on my right ovary 24/7 , made me super mad and angry to the point my bf broke up with me and I'm even off the shot now and still have pain on my ovary . It's been 7 months and I only had one shot just ONCE and still no period . It's really upsetting and it makes me suicidal . It also made my boobs tiny IDK how that's possible but they went from C cups to As and still not back to normal ."

Starlove84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This shot is terrible and I do not recommend it at all. My mood swings are terrible, I was put on an anti depressant because it made my anxiety terrible, and the abnormal, random, heavy bleeding with no warning after being on it for almost a year SUCKED. Not only was the bleeding random and heavy, it was for weeks at a time too. The shortest period I had was about a week. The only good thing that came of it is it definitely prevented pregnancy for me and I didn't gain weight from it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am so thankful for this birth control. I switched from the pill to depo because the pills gave me horrible anxiety and depression. Immediately after I switched, I was myself again. After two doses, my periods stopped. I know birth control affects everyone differently, but I have had no negative side affects at all. My only complaint is after every injection, I would get a headache for a couple of days. I'm 21 and I just hit the two year mark, and my doctor recommended that I switch to a different BC this month and I'm so sad and nervous... I am worried about getting the negative side affects of a new BC after being worry free and comfortable for 2 years."

Allie321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have just hit the 2 year mark of being on the shot. Which they recommended to stop at this point. I am unsure what birth control to choose next. I have endometriosis and the shot has helped soo much by stopping my periods but it has also caused almost all side effects it can cause. Weight gain, drowsiness, headaches, fatigue, awful acne, swelling in my legs and ankles for over a year, you name it I've experienced the side effect.. I do recommend it for endo patients with severe pain and bleeding but those who don't have endo I wouldn't not recommend it as the side effects would not be worth it."

Alicyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is the WORST damn injection do NOT GET it, 2 of my friends bled badly for 4 months after shots of this and I personally suffer a stupid condition that has no cure be warned. This will cause an autoimmune issue. Should be FDA banned"

Cheyaalora July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on the shot at 19 for about 2 yrs then went back to pills. I decided 6 months ago to go back to the depo, I had no bad side effects at 19. Now 24 the side effects of this shot are terrible. My anxiety has worsened, I'm depressed but the over all worst is the acne! Cyst acne on my neck and chin. I've never had acne not even as a teen. It's awful. It's gotten much worse. I spent 80$ on acne meds!!! Not to mention it has know estrogen in it! I'm due in 2 months for my next shot. Defiantly not getting it again! Going back to pills to hopefully get back to my normal self and skin!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I went on this because I was tired of taking pills everyday. Within the 1st dose my periods stopped and I thought Wow this is great. However in the 2 doses that I had I gained 40 pounds. I was on the pills for 7 years and I had steady weight. If I could go back I would NEVER switched to the Depo Shot. Worst decision ever!"

amanda sch. July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the shot six weeks ago. About a week after I started to experience stomach problems, and had daily, painful diarrhea. After two weeks of on and off diarrhea my bowel movements backs solid but rare, and then after that I would experience a lot of gas after eating. All of my stomach problems stopped after five weeks. I also have been diagnosed depressed and haven't found the shot to make it any worse. I've also experienced a lot of binge eating on the shot but haven't gained weight. I used to have a very painful first day of my period (bad cramps, diarrhea, gas, vomiting) but once I experienced my period on the shot I just had cramps but no blood. Im not pregnant but my period has stopped completely."

Conejo triste July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took depo for 5 years. Loved it for the most part. First starting it was kinda rough. I lightly bleed continuously for 3-5mo for the most part. I had really heavy periods before hand so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. After about a year on it my periods would stop for 2.5 months then start 2 weeks before my shot was due. MY SIDE EFFECTS: I gained 20 my normal average -30 pounds heaviest being unhealthy on depo. I started when I was 19- stopped @24. So weight gain is pretty normal so I'm sure it wasn't all depo related. I also slowly lost my sex drive and it became nonexistent. After 5 years I'm getting off because I think I didn't take enough calcium and now my joints started to ache. REMEMBER to take 1500 mg calcium**"

Coleyypdx July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've recently gotten back on the depo probably at the beginning of June and I've been bleeding for almost 2 months they put me on birth control pills but that's still not helping. I need something to stop this bleeding it's getting out of control"

Niecy123 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I wish I could give this a zero. I had my son August of 2016 and my periods were so heavy I was diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and I was told to get on a birth control to control my bleeding. I chose the depo and received my first shot February of 2017, and my bleeding stopped for a bit but returned in March. I was spotting then it went on to light bleeding. I received my second shot in May. I started bleeding more. I became anemic (unknowingly at the time). In May I passed out due to low iron and broke my nose! It has lowered my immune system, I found out also in May that I have mono. In June I got strep throat. My iron dropped to 8.6 almost needing a blood transfusion. I've been bleeding every single day since March!"

kjuune (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the depo shot 6 months ago. First month was normal no bleeding, normal sex, no weight gain, no problems at all. After a month I had heavy bleeding was no longer able to lose weight started breaking out and had horrible cramps. I've been experiencing these side effects for 5 months and my Dr does not know what is wrong. DO NOT GET THE SHOT"

Anna_mariee18 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took the shot June 7 2017. Thats 2 days after my period i thought everything was going to be fine I didn't bleed or even spot for the first 2 months! Then I started spotting for a week and now its getting heavy. Its been almost 2 weeks with constant spotting/ bleeding. Reading all the reviews now is making me wonder if its good for me or not. If my bleeding doesn't stop by the time I take my next shot which is on August 3. I won't be taking the shot any longer. I may try take it another time but if I have constant bleeding thats a big NO for me. I'll just take the pills and have a normal period, rather than ruin my body and ruining my relationship ugh! My boyfriend is really understanding but its ruining my sex life. "

Naomibx3 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started blood thinners for DVT, two days late started period was bleeding so bad was in the restroom every 10-20 mins..7 days later was in the hospital was slightly anemic less than 48 hrs later ended up back in the hospital blood count was 6.1 had to have 4 units of blood over two days they gave me a depo shot to stop the bleeding it took almost 72 hours to work now a little over a week out of the hospital I have started bleeding again...idk what to think about the depo all I know is it isn't working for what I need it to be."

Sammie1979 July 7, 2017