User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 33 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 373 reviews 168 medications

3.4
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 932 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Do not I repeat do not get this shot... this is my 3rd round and it has only got worse... I heard it was supposed to get better with time..first time I got it & I bled for 2 weeks.. spotted in between.. second time I bled for a month... this time I have started bleeding and it hasn't stopped here in a few days it will make 3 months..."

Gahhh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my 1st depo injection in the middle of June. I started bleeding in the middle of July and didn't stop until the one week after my 2nd injection. One week prior to the date my 2nd injection was due I started bleeding like a period. My bleeding has stopped for the most part. I get a little bit of traces here and there but nothing too noticeable. The two months of bleeding was worth it to make this monthly delight end."

Natalee C September 26, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was given the depo to slow the bleeding of my heavy periods because I am anemic. I have only taken one shot and am due for the second in a week or so, I will be refusing to have it. I have been bleeding for over a month non stop. Horrific cramps in my abdomen, extremely heavy bleeding, and blood clots almost the size of golf balls. I am suprised I still have a boyfriend considering the mood swings and lack of b attention he gets since I've been on the depo. I DO NOT recommend this product."

ROXYJ4 September 26, 2016

For Birth Control "This is the worst! I had my baby girl in March 2016, I decided I dont want to get pregnant soon, having 2 kids now, for now my baby days are over.my age of 23 I can't get "fixed", so since I got pregnant with #2 from the pill I decided to go for it and give the depo shot a chance, well, it was the WORST decision I could have ever made, hell I'd rather become pregnant again then keep going with these side effects of being constantly mad and angry, always yelling at my 3 year old and my other half, (my baby girl is always smiles so I never get frustrated over crying or fussy ness, she doesn't cry lol). Keep in mind, I had my LO in march 2016, it's all most Oct 2016 and I'm STILL on my period, EVERYDAY! Will not be going back for my next shot"

Jdjie252764316 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

For Birth Control "When I started getting the depo shot I was 15. It was a lot easier to do that than have a 15 year old remember to take a pill everyday. The only downsides to this shot were the constant hunger and the going back to the doctor every 3 months to get another one. I did experience weight gain, but I mean c'mon, if you're going to eat more, then you have to exercise more. I took it for 3 years and had not gotten pregnant. Just use common sense and you will absolutely love the shot!"

kennarae97 September 23, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This is my third time using the depo, in between children. After reading comments I thought I'd share. When I have my first shot I bleed continuously with cramps and I suffer migraines for a couple of months but then after the second or third it stops altogether with occasional spotting. Now for me whose normal periods are extremely heavy for four days, with cramps, back ache and migraines lasting longer I know it's worth the two months of a normal bleed for however long I'm on the depo for with just spotting. It's just a matter of waiting it out for the effects to start. I haven't had a migraine in over a month, I've spotted once, I've had no cramps for two. This time round I'm just coming up to my fourth shot"

K87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I beg you ladies that are wondering if they should give this a try to do their research. I'm 24 and have never been on birth control until this year. I asked my doctor for his recommendation and he said depo provera is very effective. I got one shot - which lasts 90 days. At first it was great, as someone who had bad cramping and heavy periods, it was amazing to not feel pain nor experience heavy bleeding. After about 30 days that all changed. I started spotting every single day. Every single day! You need a lot of liners/pads/tampons. It has now been over 100 days & the spotting has not stopped. Some days are much heavier than others. The drug has worn off but the effects continue. I obviously never went back for another shot. Don't do it!"

Sososo555 September 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 13 years old and I used to have horrible cramps to the point where I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming in pain nothing would help. (Advil, or heating pads) I also had really bad acne and no face wash would help. Tampons were also super uncomfortable. After I started using depo all my cramps were gone I had no period, all my acne was gone, I definitely recommend this it changed my life."

Rocky Nielsen September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I am writing this review because most people don't bother writing reviews when they have a positive experience, and it can sway others not to use depo when many women don't have issues. I have been on depo consistently for 5 years now, with zero complaints. In the first year I had irregular periods, and stopped having them completely after that. I get about one period per year now, if that. I did not get any acne, but I've never had acne problems anyways. I do believe depo causes weight gain, although it could just be because I started taking it at 18 years old (about 120 lbs) and now I'm 23 (145 lbs). I can't say for sure if it's the depo, but I have to work out just to stay the same. All around though, I would recommend depo 100%!"

DevinP September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "After trying every single birth control besides the depo shot and the iud I decided to give the shot a chance. Worst idea of my life. Iv been on it for 8 months and I can't wait to never get my next shot. As soon as I got my first shot I noticed my appetite increase. I was never full, I could eat all day. After I ate breakfast I couldn't wait for lunch. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep all day. I called my doc and she said to give it 3 months. After 3 months I was depressed I hated my life and I couldn't stop eating. 6 months in I gained 21 pounds. I didn't want to wake up ever. I couldn't wait to get home and go to sleep after work. All I keep thinking about is suicide. I will never go on this birth control again."

.....jamie September 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started the depo in 2010 I stopped because I became pregnant. After I had my daughter I went back on. While on it I suffered from migraines that would last for days. I would miss work and school. I stopped again because of the migraines.. I have been bleeding for over a month.. I try to find out answer why this was happening but no one understands me.."

Vimper September 17, 2016

For Birth Control "ok first and foremost depo is very effective in preventing pregnancy. BUT it has horrible side effect during and after you on it. while i was on it i broke out like crazy, was moody and achy. I never had perfect skin but this did crazy things to my skin. It also made my nipples extremely sore to the point i thought i may have been pregnant. Coming off of it , i just decided not to get my next shot. I was on it for 3 months so only took one injection. I got my period a week before i was due for my next shot, i don't know if that mmeantthe shot wore off faster than expected or it meant the levels from the hormones was decreasing. my period was extremely heavy and i bled for over two weeks straight. I also noticed coming off of the shot and while on it had really bad isomnia. I would not get on it again. to top it off it has horrible long term effects if your on it too long."

ysomthin September 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on the depo for about 5 years. I stopped taking it February of 2015 and then I got pregnant in July of 2015. The reason why I stopped taking it was to give my body a break. You shouldn't not have a period that's part of being a woman but I liked the idea. I only got on the shot because I had really bad migraines and really bad cramps. It all went away when I got my first shot. So that was all good. But then I started taking the shot after I had my daughter and it's been the worst experience yet. I was without the shot for almost a year and when I started taking it again I had extreme anxiety (I still do I just stopped taking the shot) I have had weight loss and gain. mood swings and depression. Wouldn't take this shot again."

B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "my period hasn't stopped for 5 months"

meryen September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "As far as birth controls go, this is slightly more tolerable than any of my past experiences (not saying much). My first shot was August 2nd. It's September 12th. I have actually lost weight, which I attribute to the Ketogenic diet I started 2 weeks ago. My acne got worse at first, but I discovered cell salt #12 (srsly look it up #lifechanged) and my skin has never been better. My maybe-S/O mentioned that I've been moody, but I chalk it up to it making me less tolerant of his shit ;) I've been on my period since August 16th, so I've been without sex for a while (might explain the moodiness). Point: is any birth control worth it? Lower sex drive? Weight gain? Irregular periods? Change in personality? Let's use condoms, y'all <3"

K-feminism (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I received my first shot in March 2016 after being on the pill for 5 years. At first I loved the shot. I didn't have to worry about taking it at a set time every day (which I was terrible at) and my period has completely gone away. About a week before I was due for the second shot, I noticed an increase in my acne on my face, chest, and back as well as some spotting. That was the first week of June 2016 and I haven't stopped spotting since. My acne has also gotten significantly worse and I have never struggled with acne like this before in my life - even as a teenager. My stress level has increased significantly and I've gained over 20 pounds since June 2016. I will NOT be going back in November to get my 4th shot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2016

For Birth Control "My daughter took this drug only ONE time and the side effects were horrible. She is never taking another. Her injection was in late June. In that time she has gained 17 pounds where with her level of diet and exercise she should have been losing weight. She has horrible acne, where she's never had it before, she's constantly tired despite getting more sleep per night than she has in years, and she's irritable and depressed. Her doctor thought it was worth a try because she had such painful periods, but here's the thing. DP is a hormone. It disrupts the hormonal balance in your body (which is why you can't get pregnant) but hormones are not something that you should mess with. ONE little shot, and the side effects can last for months."

D Dogg (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I just hit the 1 year mark taking the depo shot and decided to get off of it for multiple reasons. I was bleeding the first 3 months straight I was on it but they assured me it would go away and it did. I has mood swings like no other but the biggest turn off for me was the weight gain. I gain 31lbs over a year time frame WHILE going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating healthy. I thought something was wrong and so did my primary doctor so he did blood work on me an i'm as healthy as a horse! He mentioned my birth control and it all made so much sense. My friend and I started it around the same time and she was 123lbs, a year later she gained 36lbs and almost weighs 160lbs. I also lost my sex drive."

Cole2974t5 September 8, 2016

For Birth Control "DO NOT GET DEPO-PROVERA INJECTION! I decided on this form of birth control to help my painful periods, and hopefully to make them go away completely. I liked how I wouldnt need to worry about taking a pill everyday.. But... about a week after I got my injection I started bleeding.. A LOT. It WAS NOT just "spotting", it was a full on period. I thought, okay maybe I just need to get used to this new birth control. It has now been 4 months, and I am still bleeding. I saw my doctor to tell her about this crazy bleeding, about 3 months in from getting the injection, and at three months, you are supposed to get your next injection. Of course I did not get it again, but still continue to bleed. So please, do not get the depo shot! nightmare!"

r92! September 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm on my 2nd shot right now. My first dose was scary. My body reacted in the worst ways. My blood sugar was dropping (I don't have any issues w that) I felt dizzy, And hot i couldn't stop the constant Hot flashes. I experienced some of the worst mood swings EVER freaking out & feeling out of control of my body and emotions. Even my family was telling me to stay away from them. BUT After the 2-3 week adjustent It was amazing..no problems.. I bloated a little for about a week before I got my next dose. after the next dose I adjusted for a week and I've been good to go!! If you can get through hell week it's worth the no periods."

Heatharrrtttt September 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I got on depo in April and a little bit later around may I noticed weight gain in my arms not so much my stomach in July I went to take my second shot and every since the second shot I always feel bloated I have gain extreme weight in my stomach and face . I have always been thick but never had a tummy now I have a gut . I'm always hungry irritated all the time and the worst mood swings. "

Haleybob September 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "If I could rate depo in the negatives, I would. On my first round, I bled very little, but the cramping I experienced was so bad that I could not get out of bed. I would lay in bed at night sobbing because it hurt so bad. Near the end of the first shot, I began bleeding heavily and constantly. I went and received a second shot, hoping it would stop the bleeding, but it hasn't. I've now been bleeding for over a month, every single day. Some days it is light, others it is extremely heavy, but it is constant bleeding. I am also still having extreme cramps. I've also lost over 30 pounds. I would not recommend Depo to anyone. My life has been hell since receiving my first shot."

Anon146205 September 7, 2016

For Birth Control "Bn on-NuvaRng-MiniPill-OrthoEvra&Xulanepatch-Currently on wk2 of 2ndShotDepo here we go:- Depo better than the Nuva Ring, Mini Pill, Patch because nothing to worry about other than the appt for the shot every 3 months,great for busy women.- Depo doesnt require you to wear something like a ring, patch or implant.- Thumb up4 the ring but we have furry dog & hair would end up tangled around in the ring when id remove yes thats super gross.-on mini pill while breast feeding my kid, overall i didn't enjoy the lack of estrogen. See depo review.-Patch was itchy, sad when Xulane was intro'd, but i adapted. Then I had a migraine/aura that sent me to ER so Depo was chosen so I have no sex drive and my discharge is thick clumpy during intercourse. I miss patch"

bluefreak (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2016

For Birth Control "This is my 6th cycle shot. I originally did pills. But due to not wanted a period at all. I decided to take the shot. Im plus size 250. 5.9 i didnt gain any weight. I do seem tired more and the numbness in my legs does happen. But with speaking to my nurse. They say it take calcium out our bones. So. Drink milk take vitamins. The mood swings and depression. I believe. I am more irritable. I think thats a lil me too. Not the shot. To clear up. I love it. No cycle. No worries to take a pill. Make sense to me."

BeckyFame September 6, 2016

For Birth Control "Side effects are the worst.. This shot has ruined my life for the past 3 weeks I've been on it.. I have body tremors,hair loss,headaches,nausea, dizzy,tiredness,weakness and that's just some.. I have gotten anxiety I dont wanna do anything besides be in my house ive never been this kind of person and its scary... Poison to my body... Do your research ...."

deedee559 (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016