User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.1

Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 4.6 1,338 reviews

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Birth Control "I did the depo shots for about a year and a half when I was 18. When I first started then I gained maybe 5 pounds in the first 6 months. After a year it became 10, and following those 10 the weight just kept packing on, even after I discontinued the shots. I gained a total of 90 POUNDS. I ate the same as I always had and exercised regularly but the weight came suddenly and didn't stop. I'm not pregnant but it did make me lose my sex drive and caused me to gain a crazy amount of weight. DON'T DO IT. I'm 22 now and had to have weight loss surgery to help me lose the near 100 pounds gained."

FioreBella (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "It did what it was supposed to which is stop my periods and prevent pregnancy, but it gave me some pretty bad side effects. I have only had 3 shots so far and I am definitely ending it and going to try an IUD. 1. Weight gain, I gained 15lbs even though I workout every day and I am pretty good about eating. I have been craving chocolate and ice cream a lot but this wasn’t a huge deal to me though. 2. My acne has gotten worse. I went on accutane 4 years ago and I didn’t break out til I started this birth control definitely sucks to have my acne back. 3. Constant headaches. 4. Dizziness. 5. Memory loss. This is the reason I am changing birth controls. I can’t remember anything. I work at a small restaurant and I used to be able to remember a table with 4 peoples orders and now I can’t even remember drinks. I can’t stay focused. I constantly feel emotionless. I feel like I am not all there. What sucks the most is I have to wait until it expires so feel better again."

Monica February 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the shot once and it was TERRIBLE. I experienced crazy depression and mood swings, as well as acne that refused to go away no matter what I did. It was effective at birth control, but I wouldn't wish these side effects on my worst enemy."

onewithacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2019

For Birth Control "My experience with this shot has been nothing but good, with the exception of irregular spotting for the first couple months; however, after that I was period free. This shot has NEVER made me depressed or anxious the women that are experiencing these feeling maybe prone to these symptoms. I suggest you go to a psychologist if you encounter these feeling during the shot. Lastly I have been on this shot for 2 years and have not gained weight. Ladies if you are gaining weightprobably you should probably try to eat healthy and work out, if all else fail go back to the Doctor for advise."

Cali (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2019

For Endometriosis "I have been on depoprovera for almost 2 years now, it was working great no side effects and also keeping my endometriosis under control (the main reason it’s all I can use). Suddenly I started having large gushes of blood while not on a period with the depo provera. I would spot for a few days then stop then a large gush, heavy enough to bleed through my oversize pad and my clothing. I have had many ultra sounds, MRI, and still no answer to why this started after being on it for so long. If anyone else has experienced that I would love to know if you have found a cure. I need the depo to help my endometriosis so unfortunately I can’t use any other form of birth control."

Emmamp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I received the Depo shot December 11th and everything went fine. After my 2nd sexual encounter, I began breakthrough bleeding and has been bleeding from January 7th- 21st...I will not get the 2nd shot in March. "

Show January 21, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Is there a class action suit against this company??? We need to start one!!!! After getting 2 Depo Provera shots, I bled for a YEAR and a half STRAIGHT!! I had 3 blood transfusions until my doctor said there is no other option other than a hysterectomy. I was 39 years old then and was planning on having another baby with my husband but I couldn't. My blood level was 5.3 at one point, my doctor said it was the lowest he had ever seen in any patient."

NikkiNY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I really hate this birth control and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone ! Don’t let anyone fool you and say “You won’t get your period..” blah blah blah blah blah ! I’ve it’s my first shot, and I got it on November 17th 2018. Girl I didn’t bleed for the rest of November and half of December then BOOM ! I started bleeding and never stopped. I’ve been bleeding for 23 days straight and my next shot is next month, and guess who isn’t going to get it ? Birth controls and I always had a love hate relationship. So I will not be getting on any other birth control ever again in my life! They’re bad for you bodies women. You’re body is more important take care of yourselves!"

Rain (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I got on the Depo shot January 2016. I gained 20 pounds my first couple of months, but that was in combination with the fact it was my freshmen year of college & I ate a lot of fried food. For the first year everything was great- no periods at all! I got on depo because my body rejected contraceptive pills because of the estrogen levels. In February 2017 I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. I didn’t know they could hurt that bad! For the first 24 hours with the severe pain it was so bad on my right side I thought it was my appendix! But then I bled and yeah. Then March 2018 I got diagnosed with 3 more ovarian cysts, one being 10cm, so I had to get it surgically removed. I also get spotting every week before my depo shot is due. Overall, if you really don’t want to get pregnant, the shot is great because I never have to worry about remembering a pill & it is SUPER effective!!!! But it has caused a lot of problems with my ovaries & my OBGYN wants me off of it this year & on something else"

absolutelyali January 14, 2019

For Birth Control "So I got on the depo shot on the summer of 2017 and ended it in December 2018. I was suppose to go back for my shot but decided not to . When I first got it was great the thought of not having to deal with a period excited me . I spotted for a week then it went away, so I was like okay this is great since I’ve always had heavy periods . WRONG !! Acne bumps started on my thighs at first I thought I was allergic to my body wash so I switched body wash which helped a bit . But I noticed every time I was up for a shot my acne would clear up . Then in June 2018 I started spotting I’ve been on my period since then it’s January 2019!!! Now. I hate it !!! So what sex life ? None because I’ve been on my period !!!! Plus side I didn’t gain weight it actually helped me loose weight while I was on it. It just didn’t work out for me ."

Val (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have large fibroids, and endometrial Hyperplasia. First, I tried Motrin. The bleeding slowed down, but only until the meds wore off. Next, I took tranexamic acid. The bleeding slowed down, but I had horrible migraines and random sharp pains. So, I stopped and resumed taking Motrin. Next, I tried Norethindrone Acetate 5Mg. Side effects were heavier bleeding, larger clots, bad cramping, intense headaches, and extreme depression. Strangely, combined with Motrin, it temporarily stopped the bleeding. However, because of the side effects, my doctor put me on Medroxyprogestrone Acetate 10mg (Depo-Provera). This would also treat Endometrial Hyperplasia. Combined with Motrin, this worked best for me. Side effects are mild cramping, and slight headache. I’ve been on this medication for 4 days and have light bleeding. Hopefully, bleeding will eventually stop completely. So far so good!"

Friday (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "Avoid this form of birth control! It made me gain 30 pounds, worsened my mood, and gave me severe abdominal cramps. Now that I have my period back, I cramp 3 weeks out of every month, as opposed to 1 week a month before starting Depo. Try any other form of birth control except the shot!"

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "The Depo shot is the worse birth control anyone can take. DO NOT TAKE!!!! When I first got my shot I immediately started feeling sick and was in and out of the hospital for two weeks due to throwing up everything I ate and not being able to function. I wish someone would’ve told me about the shot. However, it didn’t make me bleed for months like it does a lot of girls but the feeling that they shot caused me and the depression. I wouldn’t wish it on my worse enemy. Do yourself a favor and chose a different form of birth control PLEASE."

Jackie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "Please avoid this medication. I had one injection. Which lead to 1 year of bleeding constantly. I became iron deficient. After the bleeding finally finished I got really sore swollen breasts and breast milk. I went back to the Doctor. I finally decided that I wanted a baby. My first ended in a miscarriage. I feel this was because of this medication and what it did to my body. The worst thing is that you have to wait for this horrible medication to run it’s course. If you have a bad side effect the doctors can’t help you."

Deb (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "I had 5 shots in total of the Depo. After my first shot I had no bleeding, no cramping, I was in bliss. After my third shot I experienced some random bleeding and also bleeding with sex. Before during or after. It wasn’t every time but it was enough to cause concern. After my 4th shot I noticed my anxiety skyrocket. I started think everything was wrong with me. Sort of being like a hypochondriac. I had a lot of joint pain and breast tenderness to the point I was thinking I might have breast cancer (I’m 19). I had periods after sex that lasted up to 2 weeks. After that happened I decided to stop the depo and haven’t gotten on a new birth control because I am worried about what’s really going on with my body. I’ve only been off the depo for 3 weeks but have heard it can take up to 8 months for you body to get back to normal. It prevents pregnancy but I do not recommend due to the side effects."

Honey January 3, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Worst thing I've ever done in my life while only trying to do the right and responsible thing. Now I wish I had done more research before I took the shot. I don't understand. I have been bleeding for 8 month straight not one day off. It is heavier more than light, the blood clots are huge and I can't get pregnant because I haven't had sex in 7 months due to the bleeding. The cost of the pads, diapers plugs whatever you wanna call them is so ridiculous. I'm now on iron pills and vitamin c as my iron levels are so low I am borderline for a blood transfusion. A normal count is 12.5 mine is 7.5 - under 7 you need a transfusion. My mood is horrible and its affecting my marriage, my job - hell even strangers. I am not a nice person and its killing me literally. DO NOT get this shot. It's a real life nightmare that has no end in sight."

Depressed laura December 27, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "100% would no recommend. I have had my period for the last month straight. I got put on it because my contraceptive pill caused me to get my period every two weeks. However, goodness the depo made it ten times worse. It has genuinely ruined my life. I constantly fight with everyone and literally feel no emotion. I've been told I have no personality anymore. I nearly broke up with my boyfriend over it. Genuinely feel a constant cloud over my head and cannot stop crying. I have gained a good bit of weight and extremely depressed and demotivated in my everyday life. The doctor has advised me to go back on my pill, as well as the depo, which should have stopped the bleeding. However, it is actually worse now. I have had to take 2 weeks off work, attend a counsellor and go to a gynaecologist over it. Please please please, if you are considering it, please do your research!"

Kia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Absolutely hate it..I took the birth control shot have gained so much weight and can't loose my baby weight...I feel pregnant and super moody, literally have all the side effects weight gain , headaches, tierdness, etc. Super moody so now me and my husband are having more issues because of my hormones. Anyways I'm changing birth control method next month I'm considering IUD hormone free. I want to feel myself and birth control shot is by far the worst I have tried."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

For Birth Control "The shot does what it supposed to do which is preventing pregnancy but the side effects are horrible. When I got my first shot 8 weeks after I had my first born my dr said it’s a good one and I probably won’t bleed at all but I ended up bleeding for the whole 3 months that I was on it so I decided to get off it. I experienced really bad cramps, my joints were hurting, my hair started falling out, I kept finding pimples on random spots all over my body especially the back of my neck, my depression and anxiety got really bad to the point where I became suicidal very moody starting fights with my partner and didn’t want to leave the house at all. And it sure does make you Hungry sometimes HANGRY. When I was on it I worked out 4-5 times a week hoping that the baby fat will slowly go but didn’t do anything you either put on weight or stay the same weight which was frustrating. It does work but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone :("

Lenz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "So I got my shot on Halloween day I had a very light normal start to my period that day and after the shot the next day my period completely went away , before I started the depo shot I gained a massive amount of weight , but since being on the shot for a month now I actually loosing weight and I got a normal period the 14th of November till today the 26 almost 14 days with a period , heavy in bleeding and bad cramping , I really do not recommend this because this is not suppose to happen and is dangerous for your body , I will be finding out why this is happing to me but I’m depressed tired and sad and losing weight with a non stop period ."

Chels (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on the depo shot for 4 years now, never had a single problem with it! I bled for about two months straight and toughed it out, and then they went away completely! The only single time I ever spot a little bit, is if I’m really late on my shot. My sex drive is perfect, and I’ve tried to gain weight for years and still have only gained 10 lbs in 4 years of being on it! I was told by my cardiologist that I shouldn’t have another child or we will both likely die, and this is the most effective birth control I’ve ever had! Never had a scare, or a worry! I love it!!"

Itsjustme (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 9, 2018

For Endometriosis "This shot has made me pretty much pain free and I couldn't be happier. It's also pretty great to not get a period anymore (except for some infrequent spotting). I suffered horribly for 13 years with lower abdominal pain. My doctor and I decided to try this to see if my pain was endometrial. I didn't want to go through another laparoscopy (where they found adhesions, but wouldn't say it was because of endometriosis). I'm about 90% pain free after a year of taking this medication. I say 90% because once in a while (typically if I'm going to spot), I have pain, but it's tolerable now, not like it was before. I'm really thankful for this medication. It's given me a great deal of my life back."

Breeze (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I recommend no one ever tries this. I had my first injection and felt fine for 3 month ( at least I thought I did). After my second injection felt completely different. Since having my second injection I don’t feel like the same person I have had 4 panic attacks and am suffering with BAD anxiety. I am constantly worrying about my health and diagnosing myself with all sorts all side affects of the injection. I feel like a severe hypochondriac at the moment. Not only has it messed with my mental health making me constantly worried anxious and stressed it has caused me to get cystic acne 2 weeks into my second injection I saw 3 spots appear on my face ( I’ve never ever had spots in my life) how wrong was that causing them to get bigger and painful, The more the injection wears off the smaller they seem to get. I have not yet been to my GP about my problem yet as I want to let it wear out of my body and pray I get back to my normal self and my skin gets better- DO NOT GET IT"

Lou Lou November 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I abhor the depo shot! I've been on it for a little over 2 years and it has been awful for my sex drive. I've been on a bunch of different birth controls in the past and I've NEVER experienced such a complete and total lack of sex drive. I'd much rather sleep than "do it". For 24 years old, that's just sad. It's ruined my relationship. I've gained more than 50 pounds despite a very active lifestyle. My acne is worse than ever before. I'm losing hair by the handful in the shower. It used to be that the depo was my only prescription, but now I have a prescription for almost every side effect. I'm so disheartened with this and would never recommend it for anyone."

Ellie (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the depo shot three times. The first one actually did help my awful cramps and I had a normal period, but the second and third shot ruined my skin. I had perfectly clear skin before starting the shot and 2 months in I had very painful cystic acne. I wish I would’ve never gotten the shot because months later I’m still dealing with the scars when I had perfectly clear skin before."

Bug (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2018