User Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

Birth Control

1,100 reviews 320 medications
Summary of Lo Loestrin Fe reviews 5.9 1,100 reviews

Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

For Birth Control "I'm 38 years old and this is the first birth control I've ever tried. My gynecologist recommended it for my crazy PMS and sudden onset of adult acne. I was absolutely terrified to start it especially after reading some of the horrific reviews of the side effects, but I realized all of the side effects that others were experiencing were what I was already experiencing without the birth control. I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I did. The first few weeks were slighty slightly unpleasant. I had a headache every day and a lot of unwanted spotting, but I remember my Dr telling me to give it time. I am now going into my second month and I feel better than ever. My period only lasted one day. I had zero cramps and zero psycho episodes of PMS. My anxiety is almost non existent. Everyone reacts differently. I encourage you to find out how it works for you because had I listened to the scary reviews I wouldn't be feeling as great as I do now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I took Lo Loestrin Fe for two months for PCOS. I had a great experience. The biggest side effect I had was very noticeable water retention, and I gained about 6 pounds. However, it was truly a lifesaver and reduced my PCOS symptoms amazingly."

Nat (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Birth Control " So what I found in the first month was that my period was at the same time cuz my body was still adjusting to the pill. During the second month, I got my period for 3 weeks!!! From the second week until the start of the third pack of pills!!!! Not just light spotting, full on period. My acne was ok, but I got a lot of it on my back since I started taking it which is frustrating. I’ve noticed that I have A LOT of mood swings. I feel almost bipolar in the fact that my mood goes from super happy and chatty to just crying and not talking at all. The mood swings have been difficult on not just me but my boyfriend has a hard time maintaining these two drastic changes, he does great at trying but it sucks.I hate how grumpy I get an hour or two after I take the pill when I would be having the best time with my boyfriend anyways, this pill has helped me to NOT become pregnant and it does it’s job. My body just isn’t having it lol"

somethingdifferent (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on this pill for 7 months, I started to breakthrough bleed after month 3 every 2 weeks. I thought this would go away but it got worse so I am switching to a different pill. No huge side effects with this pill but it under performed and made me stressed about its effectiveness the whole time."

SS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2019

For Birth Control "I started this birth control about two months ago. Within the first two weeks on the pill, I was spotting everyday and experiencing terrible abdominal pain. I thought nothing of it, and continued taking it. A week later, my anxiety started to build up. I was having frequent panic attacks, and angry episodes. I would lash out at everyone around me; my friends, my family. And I started to complain about everything my boyfriend did, I was never happy. One little thing would tick me off and I would be down about it for the entire day, or sometimes the entire week. I CANNOT stress enough how angry the pill made me, I was pushing everyone away. My experience with this brand of birth control was not great, and I would not recommend it if you have experienced these side effects with different birth controls, or if you are prone to depression."

hilary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2019

For Birth Control "Been taking Lo Loestrin Fe for three months now and haven't had any problems so far. I like it only had a period once for three days."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "Okay so Lo Loestrin Fe gave me literally the worst acne of my life, I'm not being dramatic, this was awful. Got switched off of it for a while because of it. If you think you won't get acne because of this you are wrong. I still have acne left over from this and I've been off of it for a few months. Ruined my face. Good luck!"

krissy g March 23, 2019

For Birth Control "I use it in combination with Liletta. My doctor warned me about all the possible side effects, such as increased blood clots, mood swings, acne, weight gain, etc. I've experienced NONE of those symptoms. I'm most happy with the fact that I don't get periods anymore because they were incredibly painful to begin with. If I forget to take a pill for 2 days in a row, my period comes back very lightly. So just take the pill every day and you'll have a wonderful life."

Happy Patient March 22, 2019

For Birth Control "I had to leave a review because I almost avoided Lo Loestrin because of the reviews, I took it anyway and I love it. I started it on day one of my period and continued all the blue pills, setting my alarm to take them at the same time every day. There was one day that I took it 4 hours late but all other days were fairly close to the same exact time. The first month I was MAYBE a little down, and a slight headache, maybe. Fast forward to the end of the month and I was feeling great. My period at the end of the month was only a few days of very pinkish spotting only/ extremely light. This is in contrast to usual heavy periods day 2-3 so a definite perk. And I’m not pregnant despite having unprotected intercourse multiple times throughout the month and even every day within the usual fertile window. I’m well into the next months pack now and haven't had any side effects whatsoever and have even lost about 4-5 lbs. I love this pill and will update if anything changes."

Pepper (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

For Birth Control "I went on Loestrin Fe for acne and iron deficiency. 7 months in my acne has not improved- which is the reason for only 3 stars. As for birth control it was reliable; I never experienced cramps or spotting, my periods came on time and lasted a manageable 4 days. I wasn't great at taking it on time and sometimes if I was too off I would get a bad stomach ache but that would be my fault. I did get 2 yeast infections when I hit 6 months but I have little to no idea the cause. My ferritin levels for iron deficiency reached a normal level within 4 months which was great - definitely the reduced bleeding helped. I definitely gained weight while on it but I was underweight beforehand and also started university this year. Overall not bad in all categories but my acne is the exact same as it was 7 months ago, which was most important to me, so I switched birth controls last week."

Stevie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been taking it for about 7 years and it worked perfectly for that long to not get me pregnant... until now. When I first started, it was for PCOS & irregular cycle - I didn’t get my period ever. The side effects I remember were mood swings, light spotting & my periods were 1-3 days long if I got it. Some months I didn’t get it still. It did help with my cyst pain, but not 100%. It didn’t help with acne. A few years in, I would get TERRIBLE bleeding after sex every time, which eventually went away. This year, still taking the pill, I DID become pregnant. I had been taking the pill regularly, rarely missing a day and always taking as soon as I remember - exactly like I had for the years before. Perhaps being on it for SO long impacted my body, perhaps because it is such a low dose of hormones, maybe because I have PCOS... Idk. So just like any pill, you have to remember - they are never 100% effective!!! I switched BCs now and am moving to a higher dose."

Amanda c. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2019

For Birth Control "Wow, I LOVED this pill!!! Unfortunately it is so expensive so I won’t be able to continue on it and will have to switch to a generic but I was on it for a month and had no issues other than 1 1/2 days of spotting, my period had slight cramps but it was pretty light!"

Kourtney Milburn February 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on this BC for 9 months and it sucks! When I first got on it, I spotted a little and it was perfect. I didn’t gain weight and when I was supposed to be on my period, it was super light and painless. The first 2 1/2 months that I was on Lo Loestrin was perfect until the end of the 3rd month. I started spotting out of nowhere and I thought it was going to last only a couple of days. I was completely wrong. I spotted for 3 1/2 weeks straight. It was just a little bit each day but it was really annoying. I also noticed that once I started taking the pill, I was unable to use pads because of the uncontrollable itching! I’m also severely anemic so I was weak all of the time when I was spotting. It eventually cleared up and the pill worked perfectly again for another 2 1/2 months until I started spotting again out of nowhere for 7 weeks! I was weak and nauseous all of the time. I finally went to my doctor and I am supposed to change to Sprintec next week."

Anonymous February 18, 2019

For Birth Control "This is the first and only birth control pill I have ever taken. I have been taking it for about 6 years now. The best part of this contraception in my opinion is that I get my period maybe 4-5 times PER YEAR. With Lo Loestrin, I will get my period maybe every 2-3 months and it is super light and lasts about 3 days. Other than that, I didn't really notice anything with my skin (I have combination skin, I break out sometimes but have always had pretty decent skin). I may have gained a few pounds, but thats expected over the years from high school to college. As for side effects, I've noticed the most that it has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased my libido. That is really my only complaint about it. I have been taking it for so long now, I don't really remember if I had any other side effects in the beginning. As a contraception, I will say it has done it's job."

Anonymous February 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I got on this medication for the contraception part but to also help clear my acne (It was pretty severe). I've been on it for about 3 months and have had a lot of improvement. Acne is almost completely gone and I am just left with the dark marks that will hopefully go away with time. I still have a few pimples here and there mainly on my cheeks but that is something I can deal with compared to where I was before. As for the other side effects, mine were no where near as extreme as some people's in these comments. Some weight gain (mainly in my boobs) and almost non existent periods (which I don't mind). I did get a few cystic acne bumps on my cheek but only a couple and they went away within a few weeks. Birth control works differently for everyone though!"

HS (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2019

For Birth Control "I've tried several BC pills, and this one is the WORST. Spotting all month long. Cramps, headaches, nausea, moodiness, very tired. Do not take this unless you've done well with low-dose pills in the past. I've tried this one twice and never make it to the end of the pack. A lot of times if you tell your Gyno you're having side effects they'll lower your dose... Sometimes you actually need a HIGHER dose. Try Sprintec... It's the best one I've used so far! Do not take Lo Loestrin, not even as a free sample pack."

MMFS (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2019

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control ever. This is the second one that I have used. I switch birth control as I had bad mood swings on my first one. And I just felt it was an lying to myself and others. So I switched. And it was awful. The first 3 months I knew my body had to get used to it but I had very irregular periods. They would never come when I was on the last week of my pills. It would come on the first week of the next pack. Sometimes it wouldn’t come at all I was on it for about 5 months until today. About 3 days ago I broke out very awful. If I could put a picture up I would. It is so painful and itchy. It’s all over my face. I can’t go to class because of how bad it is. My anxiety levels have been very high. I have been very depressed. And really haven’t felt like I have the energy do to anything. Please if you are starting this pill read these reviews. I wish I did when I first got them. It helps a lot"

J (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Birth Control "This was my first birth control I have ever used and the side effects are constantly changing. First 3 months were great besides some irregular bleeding. Then came the 6th month mark with shorter periods but also severe anxiety and depression. After coping with that my migraines got worse and eventually started having auras. In the last year I gained 20 pounds and breasts went up 2 sizes. Yes this medication did the job, but be prepared for all the side effects it has."

slg1123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2019

For Birth Control "I was prescribed Lo Loestrin after my previous birth control pill gave me cervical ectropion from too much estrogen (I randomly began to have intense bleeding after sex and would spot for weeks). The first few months were rough, I spotted on and off for weeks at a time but then that suddenly stopped. It also completely “healed” my cervical ectropion which is a huge win!! Only problem now is that I am breaking out on my chin and I gained 15 lbs since November. I literally can’t lose a pound to save my life despite my diet and workout regime which has worked well for me in the past when I want to lose weight. Also, beginning in November I am suddenly getting two periods a month. Might try to switch off this brand. The whole weight gain thing and two periods a month sucks."

AbbeyT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2019

For Birth Control "Doctor put me on this due to irregular cycles. The reviews were split down the middle so I decided to give it a try. It's only been week two and I'm already spotting (too be expected) but I was not expecting period symptoms. I feel like I'm on the first day of my cycle- cramping, back pain, bloating, gas, etc. I know you're supposed to "ride it out" for a few months but I don't feel like doing so. I also had weird aches and pains over my body. I was on orthro tricyclen lo before and had no side effects. I was excited to not have a period for once. I'm stopping this pill today."

Molly (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2019

For Birth Control "Used this birth control for 4 months now and it gave me really bad acne my boobs became bigger and bigger (now happy about that) and the top of my hair started thinning. Gained a bunch of weight. This and the depo shot I can honestly say have ruined my life. I don’t feel pretty or confident."

Lali January 24, 2019

For Birth Control "I feel compelled to write this review given all of the terrifyingly bad reviews I read when I was prescribed Lo Loestrin. I was actually put on it for heavy bleeding and I was worried that I would become depressed, gain weight, and gain acne, but none of that is the case. Before taking Lo Loestrin, I had irregular, week long periods with extremely heavy bleeding (to the point where I used 4/5 super tampons a day) and horrible cramps. I have been on the pill for 2.5 months now and absolutely love it. I spotted on and off for the first 2 months, which is normal and tolerable. Other than that, my period has been really light and has not lasted more than 3/4 days. I did experience some nausea at the beginning and have perhaps been more emotional than normal. Overall, while there may be mild side effects, they are completely outweighed by how much less miserable my periods have become. Remember that most people with positive results don't review a product, so don’t let the horrific reviews sway you away from trying it."

nicole419 January 22, 2019

For Birth Control "Previously spent 1 year on Lo Loestrin, recently started using it again. The worst symptom for me both times has been extreme nausea and occasional vomiting if I don't eat a substantial meal before taking it. I've found the nausea is much more infrequent now that I'm taking this pill in the evening, but I still have to make sure I'm eating consistently and drinking a lot of water to prevent it, which I should be doing anyway! Only other negative side effect is that my preexisting anxiety can be a bit worse at times, but it's still manageable. Giving this an 8/10 because everything else is positive: much lighter, short periods, improved complexion, and no weight gain. I went back to this pill because the benefits are personally worth it to me. It's definitely worth trying out."

contentuser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2019

For Birth Control "Okay, so I've only been taking this medicine for about two weeks and I'm already getting weird side effects. For some reason I am getting this strange water retention in my hips and stomach, making me look like I'm bloated all the time. All of the sudden my breast tissue is becoming saggy instead of firm like before, and my boobs look like they're SHRINKING instead of growing. My skin looks clear but the skin on my eyebrows is having a terrible reaction and my eyebrows are falling out worse then before....I don't even know what's happening because my mental health has felt so much better after taking this, but I don't really like what it's doing to my body. I'll probably ask for a different birth control from my OB since this is my first experience with a birth control, but these effects on my body are just too weird and almost make me not want to go on the pill again. This is not my body."

Emma (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I took the pill for 3 months. 1st month terrible. I was ravenous. If I did not eat I felt sick. I took the pill mid day. I also bled the entire time. I had cramps had headaches and could not sleep for several days straight. My gyno decided to switch me to Loestrin Fe 1/20. However the reviews are terrible for it too. Overall I would not recommend this pill."

Sih (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019