User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Choice, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1711 reviews 19 medications

8.5
Birth Control 2852 reviews 299 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 354 reviews 109 medications

5.4
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 4917 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm going to college in a week and thought Skyla would be easier than keeping up with the pills. I got it inserted yesterday, about a month before my period so my cervix wasn't open AT ALL. I'm not going to lie it was the worst pain I've ever felt. Even the 30 minutes after it when I felt sick, like I was going to faint & was sweating was horrible. I had constant killer cramps for the rest of the day, but today they have settled down and they aren't so bad. Over all, the insertion was unbearable, but I'm definitely glad that I got it. Honestly we're women and we're strong enough to get through anything so don't let this post throw you off. Everyone's body is different & we all react differently."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was so desperate to put an end to months of heavy and almost non-stop bleeding (I'm 54) that I had a Mirena inserted. It did stop the continuous heavy bleeding but now I have light continuous bleeding and have gained over 10 kg in weight, and am ALWAYS tired. I am having mine removed this afternoon and can't wait. If the heavy bleeding returns I'll deal with it some other way."

Wendy Mc August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got this inserted this past January (2017) and overall I love it. The insertion was very painful despite taking 800MG of iBProfin like my OBGYN said but the procedure was only a couple of minutes. I had some residual pain for the rest of the night but nothing a little more ibuprofen and a heating pad didn't fix. I woke up feeling fine. No other pain. My sex drive returned (had issues with taking estrogen with drive) in just two weeks and my periods have gotten shorter and lighter each month and currently I am only spotting. I have had no other issues with it so far but maybe next time I'll ask for a prescription strength pain med for the procedure."

Anonymous August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Seeing all of these bad reviews, I feel inclined to share a different side. I got Liletta last Friday (August 11, 2017), so today marks day 6 with the device. The insertion was very, very painful. I was not on my period for the appointment, as your doc should be able to do it either way. At its worst, the pain made me feel close to passing out, and I did throw up immediately afterward. My doctor told me this is normal. I stayed horizontal for about 20 minutes afterwards since I drove myself to the appointment and didn't want to make myself sick again. I have had spotting on and off since then, but very very light. Regarding the string, my boyfriend could not feel it during sex, and sex was not painful at all. Will keep you all updated."

Bee94Dee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I am 31 years old. 5' 3" and 140 pounds. I have a 26 day cycle and had sex on day 16 (which was supposedly my last fertile day according to my tracker). The condom slipped off and didn't realized until after ejaculation had taken place. Some of the semen was deposited into the condom but did not want to take that chance. I took the pill one hour after and the second dose 12 hours later. I started having symptoms about 4 days after taking it, I had an extreme amount of white discharge, my mood at first was very aggressive and a full week into it I started crying for everything which was extremely annoying. I for sure thought I was pregnant. Had a few cramps and some breast tenderness. My period came right on time. I hope my review will ease someone's mind"

Worked for me! (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my Skyla IUD inserted December of 2016. The insertion process was about 30 seconds and it was painful for me, but not completely unbearable. My first two months with the IUD were fine. After a couple of months, I started to get yeast infections twice a month and sex became painful. I began noticing that I was really dry down there. I also noticed that every morning I would wake up and feel EXTREMELY tired. Needless to say, it was difficult to get through the day. My OBGYN attempted to find solutions to my problems to no avail. I had my IUD removed July of 2017. Within two weeks, all of my symptoms went away. The IUD was great at preventing pregnancy, and I am sure this BC option is great for other women, but it took a toll on me."

Jxta August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It's been two weeks since my insertion. First off, I have not had any babies and was not on my period. I was really scared of getting the IUD because of how much people say it hurts, but the only part that hurt for me was the needle they insert for freezing your uterus (my pap hurt more than my insertion!). Mind you, I went to a women's clinic, where the doctors insert IUDs all day long (definitely recommend finding something like that for insertion!). I had intense cramping for about an hour or two afterwards, but then it subsided. I had a lot of pressure and some bloating for about 24-48 hours, which I didn't mind much since I get intense cramps from my periods. All in all, I'm very happy with it. No acne, no weight gain, no mood swings!"

CarbonCopy5 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control: "Horrible side effects!!! Weight gain, headaches, mood swings, fatigue.... felt like pregnancy without a baby :("

Henell (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The first 2 months were wonderful, my periods were lighter and I loved not having to remember to take a pill everyday. The 3rd month hit and everything went downhill. They say the adjustment period is usually 3 months and after that you shouldn't get any symptoms. A week and a half before my 3rd cycle was to begin I woke up feeling nauseous and had vertigo. At first I didn't think anything of it because my body is quite sensitive as it is, but then it happened the next morning and the next and now I'm into my fourth month, I've missed 2 weeks of work, I can no longer consume solid food and my bowel movements are extremely abnormal. I finally secured an appointment and will be removing it in 2 days. If you're sensitive to hormones, beware!"

Savannah C August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Got Skylar inserted yesterday, the pain wasn't too bad, stopped pains within a minute after it was inserted, was strong enough to get up and walk out afterward, since it's in the bleeding stopped immediately after the procedure, since then I've gotten no bleeding what so ever, but I can feel cramping but not to bad, I am happy I got Skylar :)"

Renique (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Spectulum was hugely painful, one of the worst pains I have ever felt to be honest. Insertion was not comparable to that for me but was quite uncomfortable. So far bleeding was for the first two days only, no cramps, no discomfort. A lot of checking there to figure out whether there was too much or too little wire sticking out so that has been a frightening thing. Breasts hurt like anything but so far definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is my 3rd device & I have had the mirena for over 13years. On my 3rd insert my gynaecologist asked if I have been depressed and I said yes thinking it was because I was working full time single mum and was tired. I finally had counselling and felt good again but after a few weeks I was drained. However during these years, I was deeply depressed and severe anxiety issues, on medication and after speaking to my female doctor we worked out it was the bloody MIRENA, all those years of feeling awful. Use Condoms instead, trust me it's not worth it. I am 41 & love being myself again."

Sparkles014568 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had protected sex, but the condom broke. I didn't know until I saw a piece of the condom 24 hours later. I took Next Choice about 12 hours later (36 hours?) of the incident. I got my period 5 days early. My only side effects were headaches."

Suzy4.0 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Do not get the mirena! It will ruin your life!"

TMILLR August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had it inserted a week ago. It was uncomfortable but not painful and it was a quick procedure. The doctor said to expect cramps. I have them, they are to the point they keep me awake at night. I'm hoping they go away soon or I may have to ask for a prescription for pain. I'm glad I don't have to take the pill anymore though."

No more kids (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Hello everyone so I promised myself if I got my period I would share my experience which I did thank god "

Avila Garcia August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I won't say don't stress, because its inevitable and all I did for the last 2 weeks was google, google, and GOOGLE. On august 4th, I had sex with my boyfriend and it got carried away really quick, he came inside of me with no protection (stupid, I know) and he said he thought pulled out, but I was leaking heavily with his semen. We went to the drugstore 3 hours later and got plan b. I took it right away and the only side effects were nausea and bloating. I woke up today and felt really off, so I went to the bathroom and I have never been more happier to know that my underwear was bright red and filled with blood. My period was supposed to arrive on the 17th but its early. (: be calm and let the pill do its job! I promise you'll be okay!"

123happy August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Hey everyone, I promised if this worked for me I would write a review to ease anyone's mind who I'm sure is thinking the same anxious thoughts I was. I took this pill 48 hours after unprotected sex right in the middle of my fertile window. I ovulated that Sunday just like I was supposed to so I was worried that it didn't work for me in its attempt to delay ovulation. I have used this drug before and I can say it mimics all of those early pregnancy symptoms without a doubt. But do not fear. The pill works a huge percentage of the time and in other ways if ovulation does already occur. But, do not stress because that can delay your period as well. Good luck :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just had this inserted recently, so I can't speak to the long term effects of it, but after reading a review on here from someone who claims the pain "isn't excruciating"... I beg to differ. I took 400mg of ibuprofen two hours before I was on the procedure table (in hindsight I should have taken 800mg). I am a 21yr old female who has never had children, with extremely light periods that last about 3 days (prior to having this inserted). I nearly passed out from insertion, I was hyperventilating with a death grip on the assistant's hand and she had to sit with me for about 10 minutes afterwards while I ate a banana and drank water because I couldn't feel my face and was still dizzy. Have someone on-call to drive you home."

Kegs August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "did anyone else produce a horrific smell after getting kyleena? I've never had a bad smell and have always taken care of myself, but now that I've been bleeding consistently, there is a horrible smell"

Anonymous August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm 18. Got the mirena iud for prolonged heavy periods. I have been off and on of various forms of birth control for nearly 3-4 years trying to fix this problem. Birth control was working, but I wanted something more permanent because I was tired of taking the pill everyday. I've had the IUD since Feb 28 and for the first few months my periods were everyday and heavy. Now it's August 12 and I still get periods, but they are very light(pantyliner bearable). However I'm still concerned because I don't like the feeling of bleeding everyday, even if it is light. I'm not satisfied with mirena and at this point I'm not sure what to do about my period problems."

Heavybleeder123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "It's worked! I took it within 72 hours. Don't stress yourself out it will take longer for the pill to work. You have to eat. Keep your everyday routine."

Lulu Liz (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I HATE this thing!!!! Freaking HATE it!!! This is by far the worst choice I ever made with my body. All I do is bleed. I don't get a break. I had my first period since I got this put in and I'm still bleeding. This is the worst!!! I've had it for almost 5 weeks and I can't have sex. Which contradicts the point of me having birth control. I am miserable and I have really bad mood swings. I do NOT recommend this for anyone. I go through 3 pairs of panties a day because of how much I spot and I have really bad cramps from time to time. This is the worst experience I have had in my whole life. I have never been so miserable"

Halley mccall August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "BE PATIENT THIS STUFF WORKS!!! I had used a condom and unfortunately it broke. He didn't finish in me, but I was worried about pre cum so I started freaking out. I took Plan B 8-9 hours later and only felt tired and nauseous the first 2 days. I convinced myself I was pregnant. I started reading everything and freaked out because I'm not within the weight limit, so I was convinced it wouldn't work. Ladies, don't worry about that!! It will work!! just calm down and stop reading everything. It'll just freak you out even more. 9 days after taking it, I got my period. The waiting is the worst part but it'll be okay!!"

Anonymous August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was experience heightened mood swing as I entered the menopause phases and my doctor recommended trying the Mirena. I was warned the first months would be painful then everything kicks in. I'm five years in and ready to switch out for a new. I have not a had a period and the mood swings are gone ... my family is very happy too. I can highly recommend just know the first months are hard."

Wynne44 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017