User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, EContra One-Step, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, Morning After, My Choice, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Preventeza, React, Skyla, Take Action …show all brand names

Emergency Contraception

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.3

Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 7.3 6,090 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for : "I had the Liletta IUD inserted 1 mth ago. I was diagnosed with PCOS and only got my period twice in a year. Horrible hormonal imbalances and when I was menstruating, I was hemorrhaging for 5 to 6 days straight, non-stop. It was horrendous. I was hopeful the IUD would rid me completely of my sporadic "periods," regulate my hormones, and ease all the rest of my PMS and PCOS problems. Now, I've bled more in the 4 weeks since I've had this then in, compared the last 12 months before this. It's costing me more money as I'm bleeding in my clothes and bed sheets. I have to buy a box of tampons every 4 days. My back pain is a 10 out of 10 all day, everyday. As is my cramps, bleeding, and breast tenderness. My acne returned. I lost my sex drive, personality, desire to go anywhere or do anything. Which doesn't matter anyway because I'm in consistent, chronic pain that has 100% affected my daily life and work. This never ending faucet of blood is also extremely frustrating. If I could pull this thing out myself, I would."

Me July 16, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 49 and have had 2 sons (now adults) by c-section and had a tubaligation 18 yrs ago. I got the Kyleena for the purpose of hormonal issues. I got my insertion on July 10th. The was very scary. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol before the procedure but I still felt the cramps. There were 3 all together and they got stronger as we went along. My doctor suggested a muscle relaxer afterwards and that really helped that day and the day after. I did have some spotting and cramps for about 72 hours. Now I have bloating and gas, some acne breakouts and leg cramps. But no more camping thus far. I hopeful everything will even out as the days go by."

PT (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Mirena IUD inserted April 9th. I was not been on any birth control for 10 years prior. I have PCOS & a tilted uterus. Since I have not had children, insertion was EXTREMELY painful like hands shaking about to throw up painful & I was very sore & cramping/spotting for 3 days. Then I got my period and after that I have continued to bleed. I have to wear a pad or tampon daily. I cramp & get random pains in my uterus. I haven't had intercourse since insertion. I had a recent outbreak of acne but it could be attributed to my recent increase in activity. I honestly can't say that I have had an actual period outside of that one because I bleed & it's more like a light period mostly there when you wipe. They gave me Progesterone treatments for 15 days 2 months in a row to help my body adjust. They had lots of horrible side effects but did nothing for the bleeding. I plan on keeping it for at least 6 m - 1 y to really give it a try."

Heather (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Ok so I took Plan B One Step 2x and both times it gave me horrible side effects. I had sex both times during my fertile window in a span of two months (back to back). So the first time was May 3rd and we used the withdrawal method and my ex did not ejaculate in me. I freaked out and we got the pill around 10pm at night. An hour later I took the pill. I immediately felt sick the next day. I had extremely tender breasts, sore nipples, cramps, major headaches, bloating, constipation and fatigue. It also suppressed my appetite a lot. But I got my period four days earlier than expected that month! The second time I had sex twice in June during my fertility window again using the withdrawal method. Again I freaked out and he reluctantly got the pill a day later, so I took it in the 72 hour range. I just got my period today, a day earlier then expected and I feel like rubbish with bad cramps and back pain but it is all worth it, even though I broke up with my boyfriend"

Mickey July 15, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had very irregular bleeding prior to getting Kyleena. I had the insertion in Feb 2017, which was very painful for me after a failed attempt one month prior. Apparently I have a smaller than average cervix. They had to use an ultrasound machine to guide the IUD in. I passed out and vomited from the sudden intense pain, but it only lasted for a few moments then bad cramps for about 15 minutes. For the next 6 months I had minimal cramping but almost constant bleeding. It was like a normal period with a week of spotting-light bleeding before and after my period with only a few days of no bleeding between them. It took about 9-10 months but now I have regular flow periods exactly 28 days apart with very mild cramping. The insertion and first several months of Kyleena were tough but now I get to enjoy regular periods and easy birth control for 3.5 more years. Definitely worth it, especially because most women are not going to have nearly the trouble I did and I’m still a fan."

Murray (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2018

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Been really worried. Had unprotected sex with my partner. I actually came inside her in the heat of that moment and after 1 hour found out she was ovulating. She suggested plan B but on getting to CVS I was recommended Aftera. She’s supposed to start her cycle today but till now she’s not even had any cramps. I don’t want her to be pregnant. It’s barely 5 days ago since we made love. I am really worried sick."

Mara (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was a horrifying experience with birth control. The insertion was so painful that I had thrown up immediately after the procedure and cried all night until I finally fell asleep from exhaustion. From then on I began having periodic pain that felt soul crushing and debilitating once a month. Went to four different OBGYN docs and got the “your strings look fine” speech every time. Exactly 1 year later after removal I found out that one of the arms of my IUD was bent upon insertion and had been digging into my uterus ever since. Only good thing about this BC is that I never ended up pregnant."

X July 15, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I chose Kyleena because it was smaller/less hormones than Mirena, but lasted longer than Jaydess(Skyla). The insertion was pretty painful, but only for about 20 seconds. Cramped up for about half an hour afterwards, but then I could ride my bicycle home no problem. I was unlucky and had bad cramps every day for about a month, not just normal period cramps, I mean bad enough to need to carry around a hot water bottle and stop what Iwas doing. A month later, the cramps just stopped. Now I only get mild ones a few days before my period. One downside was that my boobs shrank down a cup size, but I also lost weight - not bad. On the plus side, my mental health is WAY better. No more depressed/hopeless moods for no reason like I had on the pill. Also the 'strings' (more like fishing wire) tucked up around my cervix straight away and my bf can't feel them. Overall I love my kyleena and not having to stress over taking the pill every day. Totally worth the discomfort in the beginning."

LJ July 14, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My 16 yr old daughter got pregnant 3 Mo the after getting Kyleena. It was in perfect position. I’m not mad, I’m a grandma!! At 36!!"

Early grandmother (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Just last month, I just had gotten over a really bad case of the stomach flu. I just had orthodontic braces inserted so I was barely eating already. My period came 5 days late (probably because I was severely sick). I thought “great now I need my IUD inserted”; the nurse wanted to make sure I wasn’t pregnant (the stomach flu did scare me to think I was at first)... crazy me got the IUD 2 days after I had just started to feel better. It was sooo painful immediately after I stood up from the clinic bed. Maybe it was because I was already weak... the cramps were so unbearable my bf thought I was dying. The cramps lasted for 2 days before getting slightly better. I just got my first period after the insertion and my cramps are still just as bad. I’ve taken 800mg ibuprofen and that didn’t help at all. Then I tried vidocin which also didn’t help. I really hope these cramps go away soon because I enjoy having unprotected sex with my partner. So glad I got it"

Xoxo July 12, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I only had Skyla placed for about 4 months, which isn't that long to have your body adjust to the hormones. I switched to this IUD after having taken birth control pills for about a year and 3 months. I wasn't a fan of this IUD's side effects. My skin isn't perfect, but I never used to have major break outs. With skyla, I started breaking out in areas that I never used to break out in around the time of my periods. I was spotting sporadically for the first couple of months, so my skin would just continue to break out. Also, I never used to get terrible cramps, but they just went from a 2/10 to an 7/10 on the pain scale (10 being unbearable). I also experienced intense cravings around the time of my period, and vaginal dryness. Lastly, my periods went from lasting 4-5 days to lasting 11 days, but they were light periods. Because my periods were so close together, all of these side effects would just essentially continue throughout the whole four months I was on it."

Maren July 11, 2018

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Took plan B day 19 of my cycle, and there was a good chance I was fertile (I have a 32 day cycle). 4 days later I bled heavily accompanied with bloating, headache, gas, and cramps. The next month was filled with cramps, some so bad I could hardly move, and light headedness. My next period came exactly a month after my plan B period so it reset my cycle. Not sure if it prevented pregnancy or if I was never going to get pregnant in the first place. I took it 2 hours after the condom broke. The side effects were horrible, but I’m not pregnant."

Anonymous July 11, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The first 2 to 3 months there was a lot of dark brown discharge. So much I was beginning to get irritated because it was like a never ending period. But, my doctor gave me some antibiotics to stop the discharge. Also, I would feel some mild pain in my ovaries. The pain was more prominent the 1st 2 months and has since went away. I love Kyleena now. There was no weight gain. I have light periods and I don't have to remember any birth control. I would definitely recommend"

JSO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Kyleena inserted yesterday so my review is just based on insertion and the day after. I will probably come back and review after I've had it 6 months to a year. Insertion wasn't as bad as I expected. I am a 21 year old and I've never had children. I took two extra strength tylenol about 30 minutes before my appointment. The most painful part was when she dilated my cervix, it felt like two strong cramps but that was the worst of it. During the actual insertion it just felt like some pressure. Afterwards I was fine for about 10 minutes and then during the drive home I had some pretty intense cramping and lower back pain. I also had some light spotting. It's been over 24 hours since insertion and my cramps started off pretty mild. They got a little more painful during the day but were very manageable. The cramps eventually went back to being mild and I haven't had any spotting today. So far, it's been a lot better experience than what I've read online."

Lita July 10, 2018

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Ok so I ended my period on June 17ish and had unprotected sex June 19th (4 days before ovulation) and took plan b about 6 hours after (I got it for free at planned parenthood). About 5 days after taking it I got extremely heavy bleeding which lasted 2 days and just felt really tired which are symptoms of plan b and the only symptoms I got. My next period was expected to come June 10th but it came today a day early !! This pill really does work I 10/10 recommend and I hope it works for everyone! (Pray a lot)"

Yay (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Inserted 7/5 @ 3 pm on day 2 of period. No kids, on pill for 12+ yrs. Took 4 Advil before appt. Light flow, noticeably heavier after insertion. Insertion was VERY uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Worst part was opening the cervix but it took <5 minutes. Had cold sweats and felt lightheaded for a few minutes after. Brought my husband to drive home and I'm so glad I did! Experienced cramping right away which escalated to the level of intense menstrual cramps. Advil every 4 hours and used a heating pad. Day 1, a dull ache with some waves of stronger cramps and light spotting. Advil every 4-5 hours. Day 2, cramps and spotting were virtually gone. Advil every 8-10 hours. Still feel light aches and very minor cramps w/very light spotting. Something I didn't know before deciding on an IUD, the doc will advise no tampons for 3 days and ~1 week to become fully effective. So far, I'm happy with my decision to switch! Will update again when I've had it a little longer!"

Equus06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "When I first got skylar I had about a month of pretty intense cramping and then after that I would cramp each month when I ovulated and then on my period. I had a lot of break-through bleeding and spent about half of each month spotting. I also found myself having pretty severe anxiety while using skylar. It actually got to the point where I got the device out after about a year. My mood began to improve about a week after removing the device and I lost about 10 pounds in the first month after stopping use. I would not recommend this device, it was a nightmare and caused quite a bit of unnecessary pain and cramping."

Ama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 20, got the kyleena in this January as I was tired of taking a pill everyday at the same time. Insertion wasn’t bad at all. A slight pinch feeling while measuring the cervix but no pain during actual insertion. Everything was great for a while and my period disappeared completely. 6 months later and I’ve gained 10 pounds and my acne has been the worst it’s been in my life. I’m getting mine removed as soon as I can."

Essy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am a 19 year old, non-mother, in a long term relationship. I received this birth control on June 29, 2018. The procedure though efficient was very painful. It lasted for about 5 minutes but it was enough to take my breath away from the cramps... The following night I had the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I was not warned about this so it took me by surprise I figured I would be cramping BUT nothing like this. If I knew what contractions felt like then that would be how I’d describe the pain. It was immobilizing and came in waves of extreme pain and then my uterus would relax. I have above average pain tolerance plus I have a heavy flow/ painful periods typically so I know what painful cramps are like. It is July 8th and I am still experience intolerable cramps. I take a lot of Tylenol back to back and that is what it took to take the edge off the pain. Side note: be careful when having intercourse I gave it a try and the string stabbed/cut my boyfriend."

athomp525 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Although it's worked well for a couple of my friends I had a bad experience. I had horrible cramps. A shooting pain down my right leg and a bacterial infection. I had it checked out and all seemed okay but was told that it sometimes happened. Something I didn't anticipate was bleeding gums. Although I have never seen it listed as a side effect I didn't have a problem with my gums until using Skyla. I'd be at work and my mouth would fill with blood. It was awful. The doctor assured me that it wouldn't cause that but once I got Skyla removed it was no longer an issue. Be careful. It's not for everyone and get a good doctor. Mine pretty much laughed my problems off."

VictoriaQueen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "About a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I had a scare, because even though we didn’t have penetrative sex he had thought that sperm was near my vagina. It was my first time of anything serious like that happening. 45 minutes later he bought the pill for me, and I took it. The side effects were definitely present right away. About a week later I experienced spotting and light bleeding for two days. It was like a mini period. I continued to stress, because I hadn’t gotten my actual period yet. Here we are now about a week after I was supposed to get my period, and I finally got it! The side effects definitely beat me up: fatigue, headaches, and pretty bad cramps. My period is a lot worse this time, but I’ll take that over anything. The pill definitely works! So if you’re stressing or a scared mess like I was, try to relax. This is what the pill was made for, and it works. And besides, stressing will only delay your period. Good luck!!<3"

Aly (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I've taken this pill 2 times both a few hours from having sex and they both failed! I don’t recommend at all. Just buy the Plan B. I am completely sad because now the guy I hooked up with doesn't want to be responsible and I'm left to do this on my own. First time the condom broke and I miscarried after a few weeks. This time around I'm expecting my 2nd first child. Congrats to me for not using a condom and he didn't even pull out even after I told him I don't use birth control "

FtP_dNW (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Got this in at my 6 week appoinmentt after having my son in 2016. There was some cramping and spotting, of course, but that was to be expected. After that, periods resumed as normal..[my] normal timing, [my] normal flow.. Now, at almost 2 years, I think my periods have stopped completely. I'm not complaining though. As long as it does the job, I'm fine. Also, I will note that I haven't had any unusual weight gain or anything outside of my normal mood swings that come right before my period since having this in. It's almost like it's not even there, to me."

KoKo (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I am 5'8 and 160 lb. I took plan b 20 hours after I was date raped. I ended up pregnant anyway. Ended up having to go to PP and pay for an actual abortion on top of paying for the pill."

no thanks (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This comment is purely about the insertion and few days afterwards. Unfortunately my doctor did not have any openings in her schedule so she had to place the IUD right after my period. Because of the time in my cycle and because I’ve never had children, my cervix was tight and she had to go in three times to place the IUD. The procedure was uncomfortable but certainly not unbearable, and I experienced two major cramps which then subsided in a few minutes. I wasn’t lightheaded or nauseous following the procedure, but I was crampy and had spotty bleeding for several days afterwards. So far so good. Take ibuprofen, hydrate, and eat a good meal before hand, and try to relax through it."

nataliee (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018