User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1132 reviews 14 medications

8.8
Birth Control 1906 reviews 281 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 264 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 3302 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The condom ripped on Aug 16th but he did not finish inside of me. The chance of getting pregnant from pre-cum is much less than the chance of getting pregnant from semen, but it still might be possible, so to be safe I got plan b one step. My period tracker had estimated I was to ovulate the 17th. I had taken the pill 16 hours after sex. I did experience nausea, lower stomach pain, dizziness and tiredness but it was nothing too extreme. I was expected to get my period Aug 31st and I got my period yesterday, Aug 22nd! A week early! My cramps are worse than usual but nothing I can't hadle! Better than being 16 and pregnant! Take the pill ASAP and let it do its thing. DONT stress girls. Be positive and keep yourself busy!!(:"

TeenGirl (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got my skyla in. Now I'm a 15 year old girl. It hurt getting put in. But the side effects of constant nausea and cramping is the worst. But my mom said it'll get better, just give it time. I need tips for how to get rid of the cramping because I'm having trouble sleeping now and nothing is working."

Lacbear20091 August 23, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 25 years old and have never been pregnant. Due to having migraines with aura, I needed an estrogen-free form of BC. I was on Depo Provera ('the shot') for 1.5 years and HATED it. I gained 20lb without changing my diet, spotted for a year straight with no breaks, and was an overall mess. Mirena was the obvious choice for me. Insertion was not fun (<5 min.) and the 2 hours after insertion I had awful period-like cramps. However, they subsided and by the end of the night, I was okay. The next morning, no pain! My spotting from the Depo even lifted. I have only been on Mirena less than a week, but so far I love it. My anxiety definitely made the insertion process worse, so try to relax."

Formerly on Depo August 22, 2016

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took Aftera just 2 hours after unprotected sex. Now, 25 days later, my period is late, I'm nauseous with two positive pregnancy tests .WOW. NOT WORTH IT. PLEASE use PLAN B instead of this. I had no symptoms after taking this (as compared to the cramping and what not from PlanB.) Aftera probably packs their packages with sugar pills. What a terrible situation to be in."

BeggerOfMercy (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Condom broke right around my time of ovulation (it was 1-2 days before expected date, but could have been the day of ovulation) so I was freaking out so bad that the pill might not work if I had already ovulated. I took the pill 20 hours later. I cried almost every day for 2 weeks I was so scared. I had a lot of bad symptoms, breast tenderness, cramping, bloating. I had brown spotting about a week before my period was due...then 1 day before my expected period, I got it. So relieved!!! I am also over the weigh limited, but after some research on that, I found there was no real evidence to say it doest work over a certain weight anyway."

Relieved it worked August 22, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "This worked both times I took it. The first time I took it in 2014, I wasn't very nervous because I didn't ever consider tracking when I was fertile, so I didn't consider ovulation, just got my period and was happy. The second time I took it, I was terrified. I was very fertile when my boyfriend and I had sex, (unprotected... I know, getting the copper IUD next month). I took the pill the day after and it made me feel slightly queasy. I was moody, and it made me break out a little (I usually get some acne around the time my period starts too). The side effects lasted on and off for the entire time. I think i took the pill around August 6th, and I just got my period yesterday, August 21st. It came about 4 days late, but it works! :)"

notPreggo (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I worried myself sick and turned out fine so I thought I'd ease someone else's mind. I got drunk and had unprotected sex with a friend Aug 12 at about 3 AM. Neither of us could remember if he pulled out and pretty sure I was fertile at this time. My last period started July 31st and my cycle is about 22 days. I took Take Action at noon the next day so about 9 hrs later. I had no side effects accept major bloating 2 and 3 days later and nothing at all for another week. I was PANICKING and convinced I was pregnant. My expected period was the 22nd. Long story short, I started spotting the 21st (today) and just got it full on. Came on time! Don't panic yourself, I trust in this pill!! I'm also going to get on birth control."

ZK August 22, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the mirena in Jan 2015 and had remove it by July 2015. As a contraceptive it worked. I used to be on the pill and I put on 20kg with it. I came off it and got the mirena and couldn't lose weight whilst on it. So although I didn't put weight on whilst on mirena, I feel like if I hadn't taken the pill before, the mirena prob would've been the culprit to make me put on weight. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, don't do it. The side effects I experienced: - spotting everyday/random periods completely irregular overall - bad headaches - extremely bloated - couldn't lose weight - moodiness and emotional - periods never went back to normal after mirena- they've been irregular for past year despite being hormone free!"

Alishab August 21, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I first started birth control around 2004, age 22. I tried the Pill, and all it did was make me spot and have periods that lasted for weeks- so I stopped using it. Then I tried the NuvaRing- that worked for about 3 months then the spotting started again. I then had no birth control until August of 2010. I wasn't sexually active- so didn't worry about it. I had been told when I first tried to get the IUD in 2004 that you can't have one unless you've had at least one child, so I gave up. It was either between Mirena or Paragard-since I have heavy menstrual cycles and cramps and PMS, I chose the Mirena. I had the first one in August of 2010 and my second one in September of 2015. I have had no bad experience with it- my periods are light"

Da5 August 21, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My bf and I had unprotected sex on the 9th day of my cycle. He pulled out before he could come, but to be safe and sure I decided to take Plan B. I was able to take it 62 hrs after the incident (more than 2 days). I was worried because I waited for a long time but still it was within the 72 hr time range. Nothing much happened after I took it, I wondered if it worked. Just some tolerable cramps within the days that followed. My next period was scheduled to arrive Aug 21 and I was worried if it will come or not. Thank goodnesss, my period came 2 days earlier (Aug 19th ). I was never so happy to have my period in my life."

FreakedoutGal August 21, 2016

My Way (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Had period July 9-14, unprotected sex on the 25th (supposed to be ovulating). Bought the pill and took it within 3 hours. Didn't notice any symptoms Anyway supposed to get my period August 8 but it never came I was freaking out bc I had spotting and pain on my right side. Bf convinced me to be patient and wait, 10 days later I got my period with the worst cramps ever! Will take a test soon just to be extra sure but I'm glad this worked when I had my doubts & expecially during ovulation"

10 days late??!! IT WORKED! (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex July 21st which was only two weeks after starting birth control. He assumed the birth control worked right away and finished inside of me. We went the next morning to get the pill, and I took it about 12 hours after the incident. I was tired, moody, and bled for 7 days after taking the pill. I did not start my normal period but chalked it up to the pill threw me off. About a month after the pill, I was still feeling tired and moody, but also started feeling nauseous. I took 3 pregnancy tests (because you can never be too sure lol) and they all came back positive. I am now 6 wks 3 days pregnant. Looking back on my calendar, I was ovulating when we had sex."

2xMomma (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just had my Skyla IUD inserted 4 days ago. On the day of the procedure I had my period and took 800 mg of Ibuprofen 40 mins before. I have to say it did not help one bit. It was the most terrible and awkward 5 mins of my life. It felt as if someone was stabbing me from the inside. Luckily I did not shed one tear and drove home from the facility with the most horrible crucial cramps I've yet felt. Since Ibuprofen did not work for me I had to get something a bit stronger and took 2 Midol 500 mg pills which did the job and a heating pad. My cramps and period were gone by the next day. As of now I feel bloated, tired and somewhat moody. I'm sticking it out for at least 3 to 6 months to see how my body adjust to it."

Deedee397 August 20, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is absolutely the WORST decision I've ever made. I've had Skyla for 3 weeks now and I've had an impeccable amount of side effects. My mood swings are ridiculous and I've cried almost every night for the past 2 weeks, and I hardly ever cry. I've also had immense pain in my hips and back since I got it, and they do not go away even after taking norco (I had reconstructive ankle surgery 2 days post insertion) and that doesn't even touch the pain. I'm emotionally and physically drained. My parents are annoyed with my constant pain. My boyfriend feels completely terrible for me. Not to mention insertion hurt like no other. I couldn't even sit down afterwards. I go to my OB Monday to get it removed. I'm beyond done."

D. Nicole August 20, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "i have gotten Skyla about a year and a half ago and i never realized the effects i have gotten from it till recently. My hair has gotten super thin, i can't even touch my hair without it falling out.. my hair was super thick before i got Skyla. Also i realized how moody i get.. i would literally cry at EVERYTHING! Happy things or sad things.. i couldn't control myself, i was never like this before. Another thing is that even when I'm not on my period i would get random cramps. I don't recommend getting Skyla."

Shay_ August 19, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "First update on my lileta since my initial post on 8/13/16. Pain has gone away totally. No cramps. Some light red blood from the uterus lining beginning to thin out. Panty liners work well for this. Cons so far- mood swings. They come out of nowhere and I can be fine one second and ready to fight strangers the next. I've become more confrontational. Pros- I've had sex once since I got the iud, it was fine, normal, no one felt anything. So far so good."

Mrs.twoundertwo (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "ignore the horror stories! I got the implant yesterday and yes there was some painful cramping but it wasn't enough to make me want to pass out or not drive home. I just made sure to relax and keep breathing and it was over before I knew it. I was perfectly fine immediately after my gyno removed all her instruments. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen before hand and my nurse told me that I should just stay in pain meds for 24 hours because of the cramps, I did get cramps maybe 3 hours after I got the implant and a few of them sucked but they were like regular period cramps. I got home and cuddle up with a heat pack and went to bed.I'm halfway through my 2nd day and I'm not on meds and I'm fine. So far so good. Will leave another review later."

Shep000004 August 19, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Ladies!!! Do yourself a favor and stop reading these. Everybody is different and we all have different insertion experiences. I just got mirena inserted this morning. I am 24 years old and I've never had a baby. I was extremely nervous, as this was my second attempt at inserting mirena. I went last week and my cervix was too tight so they sent me home with a prescription that was to be put in my vagina the next week before I go in again. The second time (this morning) was a lot easier. Yes, it does hurt a bit but nothing I couldn't handle. Honestly the worst part for me was the cramps afterwards. I had bad cramps for about 5 minutes and ended up throwing up. After that I felt much better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Was terrified after reading all the negative reviews. Have had to take plan b twice in the last 4 months as was unsure if boyfriend pulled out in time. Have not experienced any major side effect, only mild nausea for first 2 days of taking the pill and very slight bloating (which was more in psychological than real I think). Both times I've had a normal period and within 2 days of the due date. Getting onto birth control pills now to avoid such emergency pills in future. Posting this only so that there is some positive assurance too. For people like me who were absolutely paranoid of all that I'd read earlier."

Ak1013 August 18, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla inserted yesterday so this review is only on insertion and the 24 hours after. I was seriously freaked out about the insertion after reading so many bad reviews. I took Misoprostol 6 hours before the procedure, and 550mg of naproxen an hour before. My gyno told me everything she was doing and told me when there was about to be pain. The whole thing took about 90 seconds from start to finish. There were three cramps, a small one, a medium one, and then one big sharp one that made me close my eyes. the pain really was not bad, it just caught me by surprise. After it was over I had light cramping for a few hours, and have been spotting with brown discharge. Other than that, I can't tell its in there!"

Aawalker96 August 18, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "prior to Liletta I had Depo for 1 year which caused minimal almost to nonexistent sex drive. My doc recommended Lilleta and Li agreed. With depo my periods were nonexistent and eating anxiety. So switching to IUD didnt make much of a difference as far as the periods but I dont have the eating anxiety and my sex drive is back on and poppin. I was scared at first reading all the different reviews and side effects. But definately cant complain."

neec (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 18, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I hate to share this for everyone but this pill did not work for me. We used a condom, it broke, took plan b about 8 hours later. Everyone reassured me I was fine but after I was about a week and half late I started to feel nauseas and I knew something was wrong. Took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I am currently 2 months pregnant!"

New mom11 August 18, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Continued... Since then I have had very light periods usually ONCE every 3 months with thick, bloody discharge on the first day and light spotting for 1-2 days after for a total of 3 days. I haven't needed a tampon in nearly 3 years! Pantie liner is all I need, if at all. I do get pms monthly though- cravings, moody, maybe a little breakout but nothing you wouldn't get with any other birth control. I have tried pill, patch, and Nuva Ring-which I liked but it gave me ovarian cysts so I switched to Skyla. I highly recommend Skyla! While it has never happened to me.. if you are bleeding for more than 7 days at any given time while on Skyla GO. SEE. A. DOCTOR. Something is wrong! Again, 23, never been pregnant, and love Skyla!"

H.Ben (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So I promised myself if this works, I have to write a review to put someone out of their worrying misery because believe me I WAS SCARED FOR 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT. So I had sex with my s/o on August 1st, with no condom or form of birth control (yes I know dumb but hey I'm human ya know) and he came in me, completely. On this day, my period tracker app said I was fertile so this was completely worst case scenario to me. I took the plan b 3 hours after the incident, but boy let me tell you! I was nauseous for the whole week! In my head I was like "yup, I'm done for. I'm pregnant." Fast forward to August 17th, I got my period a day early and it is HEAVY and PAINFUL. Plan b works. RELAX PLEASE!"

Listenplease August 18, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Just got marina inserted today. Was on bc for years tried pill patch etc. Hubby then got snip which failed but we are delighted with our little bundle of joy. Really did not know what to expect and was very nervous about insertion. I took ponston before hand and it did not hurt. Measurement went fine then when inserted felt something but very mild. Not like some reviews. So far so good but dont have it long enough to comment on side effects. Insertion not as bad as i expected. Will update in a few months time"

emma d August 17, 2016