User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, EContra One-Step, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, Morning After, My Choice, My Way, New Day, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Preventeza, React, Skyla, Take Action …show all brand names

Emergency Contraception

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.3

Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 7.3 6,435 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I’ve taken this about two times currently on my third praying it will work after a drunk night filled with mistakes..."

ashleyy (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took Plan B a few hours past the first 24 hours in order to prevent pregnancy. I’ve taken plan b about 4 times & never experienced any side effects. This time was the worst experience & I didn’t experience any of the side effects until 6 days after taking the pill. I can’t even begin to explain how horrible the mood swings are, the cramping from the withdrawal bleeding supposedly happening before your expected period, the fact that the withdrawal bleeding can easily be mistaken for implantation bleeding along with the moodiness because of the time that it’s happening causing more stress because you don’t know which one it could be. The back pain and headaches. I’ve decided to abstain from having sex so I never have to take this pill again because of the horrible experience. I highly recommend birth control to prevent pregnancy to avoid taking this pill. Positive note, I have no doubt that the pill worked because of my side effects closely resembling its effectiveness."

Anonymous October 15, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had it inserted on 10/12/18. My experience was great!There was a tv on the wall so I could watch the whole process via ultrasound. I was also on the last day of my period, with very light spotting. Beforehand I took Advil about 30 min prior to insertion and at the clinic I took a urine pregnancy test. I should mention that I am 23 and have never had a child, I’ve also experienced cystic acne as a teenager which has subsided now. The insertion was painful but not anything that was unbearable. Next the Kyleena device was inserted and extended when the arm were out I experienced sharp cramping and then another sharp painful cramp when it was pushed to the back of my uterus. After I had some cramping and took my time getting up. Then no issues at all! So far I have some regular period type cramps at night when I’m not moving around much before I go to bed, but when I’m active I feel nothing. I’ve had old blood discharge and spotting but it seems like that’s subsiding."

Vee October 15, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my Kyleena fitted for four months now and highly recommend it. I remember being SO worried about the whole process and whether my body would react badly to the device but I have so far had no problems. Insertion is uncomfortable but definitely bearable. Feels like an intense spasm / cramp but is over in a matter of moments. The after pain was no worse than period cramps. After a few weeks of minor spotting and bleeding (no heavier than my normal period) the bleeding stopped. After a month, I experienced no further bleeding which is great. This is a fantastic contraceptive method. I feel so much happier not having high levels of hormones in my body and do not feel as down as I did before. Highly recommend kyleena!"

Willafeng (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Do not take this pill! I have been vomiting and in and out of sleep for two days after taking it. I’m not sure if it works but I don't think it is worth the side effects."

Alright (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2018

For Emergency Contraception: "I'm not on any birth control and my period is mostly regular so I kind of knew when it was going to come. So I had intercourse on the 28th September at about 12:45pm and by the time he pulled out he realised the condom had broke and wasn't sure how much he came inside so we were panicking like crazy. I didn't get the pills (postinor 2) till about 8:30am the next day cause I had to get a prescription from a doctor otherwise they wouldn't give me. It was about 20 hours after the intercourse that I ate the pill and fast forward a few days I've been getting cramps and it was so frequent that I thought I could be pregnant but thankfully the test came out as negative. In the end my period did came after 2 weeks of intense stress and eating tons of pineapples. (read somewhere that a high intake on vitamin c helps induce a period too but that could be false go read up on it) just relax and let the meds do their thing."

abc October 14, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Let me just start off with say I love my Kyleena and it was the best decision I have made. I got it on March 1st, 2018. I was on my period when I got it inserted. There was some cramping when they put it in but thats only because they have to open your cervix. The bleeding stopped the day after I got it. Every once in awhile I’ll have light cramps but no bleeding. I do spot occasionally but not to the point where I need a tampon. Only see it when I use the bathroom. I haven’t had a period since March and it’s October! Also my acne has cleared up tremendously! I would highly recommend Kyleena to anyone willing to give it a try."

Kayla October 13, 2018

Preventeza (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took the pill 2 days after having unprotected sex (you have 72h to take the pill), didn’t have any side effects. I waited for my period, it never came. Took a pregnancy test 7 days after no period ..... I’m pregnant, great. The pill does not work. I would suggest Plan B or Rite-Aid brand ( which works very well, surprisingly). Good luck!"

Girl blah October 13, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve been on Kyleena for 3 months. Spotted for 2 weeks and haven’t had a period since. Had acne the first month but it went away. I have PCOS. I get some weird cramps around my ovulation and where my period would normally be on this but nothing too awful that ibuprofen and heat can’t fix. I have water retention mid cycle, about 5lbs, but it goes away. Sex drive is lower but can still orgasm unlike on some birth controls. No mood swings what so ever. I use a 50/50 water and hydrogen douche when I spot a day around my period and haven’t had BV or a yeast infection which I got from Mirena, I also take probiotics. I have been on the pill and Nuvaring, both gave me terrible depression and killed my sex drive. The copper IUD made me anemic after a year and threw off my liver function almost like a person with Wilson’s disease and immune system plummeted. I’d recommend trying Kyleena definitely but to each their own."

LadyAK October 13, 2018

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex, so i went and bought the Take Action Pill, I took it about 12-13 hours later. I was worried because I was a little over the weight limit, I was freaking out because some people were saying bad things about it. Now we had sex Sep. 2nd, didn’t get my period until Oct. 12 , other reviews I read got there period way sooner then I did and that’s what made me scared. I started to overthink that I may be pregnant, the fatigue/symptoms of this pill are very gnarly so please take that into consideration. I think my experience was wacky because I am a lot younger . Just remember “ the pill does mess with your cycle quite a bit so don’t stress too much, it will only drive you insane, this pill does do the job its supposed to. Don’t make the same mistake I have, USE PROTECTION!!" I hope this helped a lot of the younger women ease their minds a bit."

mamamia October 12, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've gained more than 6 kg from the moment I've started with Kyleena (I have it for like 4 months). I hadn't had any weight gain with Mirena, but with Mirena I was feeling numb. With Kyleena my sex drive improved, my skin is getting worse and as I already said, I've gained, and I'm still gaining a lot of weight. I don't eat unhealthy. Recovering from an eating disorder, so I know what I have to eat. I've already planned an appointment with the anasthesist to remove my Kyleena and getting a copper IUD."

An (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "IUD's are a wonderful option for many women. Unfortunately something about it just did not react well with my body. Around months 4-7 the bloating, weight gain and mood swings especially irritability started to take over. I noticed a 7 pound weight gain around 4 months and suspected that the IUD was the culprit....but I was also going through some depression in earlier months which I thought maybe caused it instead. I was SO easily irritated and the bloating and rapid weight gain was effecting me so much that I didn't even want my boyfriend to touch me. I gained another 6 pounds in 1 month. 13 pounds total. The bloating got worse and Idefinitely felt myself gaining more weight. My doctor gave her 'medical opinion' but I was not myself so I got it removed. It's my 2nd day without and I am having little to no bloating which feels amazing and I definitely see an improvement in my mood and energy already. Great birth control for women who don't experience the negatives like I did..."

Dani October 12, 2018

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took Aftera about 12 hours after unprotected sex on the day I was ovulating. I opted for Aftera because Plan B wasn't available where I was. I have taken Plans B, ella and other emergency contraceptives before. All very effective with little to no noticeable side effects. Other then throwing off your periods schedule. With Aftera I didn't have any side affection until about 7 days after I took the pill.  An extreme  amount of bloating, cramps extremely sore breasts and a tightening feeling in the stomach . Which for me made me feel as if I were pregnant. Being that with both of my pregnancy's the tightening of the stomach was my most noticeable change in my body. I wasn't due for my period until 13 days after I had sex, and wasn't initially worried but with all of the side affects and having unprotected sex when ovulating it had me feeling as if I was pregnant. Day 11 arrived and the side effects were soo  strong, but period started. NOT pregnant!"

Learningerrday October 12, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Skyla for 2 Yrs and 1st I was VERY PAINFUL. The Dr. told me it wasn't painful but I nearly passed out on the table while getting it inserted. I survived that pain and the next year I had NO ISSUES. I went to my OB for my yearly check up and to our surprise the birth control couldn't be found . My Dr then used a camera and saw that it had wrapped around my cervix which was a reason why my legs went numb and I would have weird pains in my side, and as well I had start having blackout spells. I had been to a cardiologist thinking it was a heart issue and he could never find anything. OB discovered the IUD was wrapped around my cervix and I had to have it surgically cut out. I was no longer having numbness to the legs, heart paps and black out spells stopped and my body feels normal again. My Dr said that since Its smaller than all other IUDs it wouldn't migrate and It doesn't hurt during insertion but fact of the matter is she was wrong. I would make this my LAST CHOICE !"

Amelia October 11, 2018

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Hey girls dont panic too much! I took take action like 26 hrs after unprotected sex and on the same day I was ovulating and it worked"

LoudMouth (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So I took aftera because I had unprotected sex on the last day of my period. He didn’t finish inside of me , but I was worried about precum. After taking the pill, I started feeling tightness in my stomach and cramps. About a couple of days later. I also had some spotting a few days later from taking the pill. About three weeks later, I had tiredness, mood swings, headaches, more urinations, fatigue, increased hunger... just about the symptoms for pregnancy. Now my period was 9 DAYS LATE! But.... I got pink discharge, then I started officially bleeding about three days after the discharge. But I got my period, right now I don’t know about it’s heaviness or anything but it feels like it’s going to be a little bit more harsh than normal but pretty normal. It Works! I'm not sure if it will work if you had unprotected sex while ovulating. I was very stressed and anxious so I made sure to leave a review for other women experiencing similar situations! Hope this helps! Good luck!!!"

Jade October 11, 2018

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Going to start this off with Take Action WORKED for me but I had a whole month of freaking out about possibly being pregnant. I took Take Action 20 hours after unprotected sex. On the ninth day after I took the pill I started bleeding and wasn't sure if it was my period or what. It more then spotting but not as heavy as my normal period no cramping, lots of clots. Lasted for 5 days like my period. Than a week later is when I started noticing all the pregnancy symptoms! Like sore breast ,feeling sick ,discharge that’s when I really started freaking out. I’m not sure if this was the pill side effects or nerves but it was horrible took 9 negative pregnancy test 3-4 weeks later that didn’t calm my nerves I finally broke down and went to the doctor both urine and blood test was NEGATIVE a month later. I just wanted to maybe let people read my story and relate - the pill did work in my case. Everyone’s body is different and non of theses stories are alike so keep that in mind."

KAT October 10, 2018

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The Mirena made me go crazy after only a month I got depressed severe anxiety and panic attacks. I was paranoid then ended up in a mental hospital. I had weird thoughts and felt like they would turn into actions. No dr helped except psychiatrist in the hospital told me it was the Mirena also the Zoloft they used to try to treat these symptoms that the doctor said was postpartum depression. It was my first time on any type of birth control, first time seeing a psychiatrist or taking any antidepressants. I asked every dr can it be the Mirena? They all said no or I doubt it even though these are all listed side effects. I had the Mirena taken out stopped taking Zoloft, now on no other meds now and my life is back to normal. Thank goodness I was smart enough to listen to my body. The psychiatrist said they get a lot of women in there for the Mirena. I could have lost my husband and 4 children my job my house all because the drs want to encourage you to keep it!!!"

Anna October 10, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Don’t let the stories of the insertion scare you. I was expecting and slicing or cutting feeling but it just felt like an intense cramp for 5 seconds, and then normal period cramps for the rest of the day. IUD’s are amazing because you never have to worry about them. I had a few experiences where I had sharp, painful cramps out of no where (I never used to get cramps before) and my acne has gotten bad, which is why I’m thinking of switching. However, it is so convenient that I might just justify keeping it in and suffering through the hormonal acne. My periods are irregular and my bleeding is normally old blood. I have also experienced anxiety, frequent UTIs (which I combat by taking a cranberry pill everyday) but it’s hard to tell if the IUD is causing it or not."

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2018

My Way (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The first couple of weeks was terrible, I was very emotional and had frequent abdominal pains. I was also scared that I could be pregnant, but don't freak out. The contraceptive pill does work, just immediately take it after unprotected sex and you should be okay."

mrod (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla and it’s great. I was so scared because so many reviews said it was the most painful experience, but it wasn’t that bad, and I haven’t had any kids. I think the worst part was literally right after they were done putting it in and my body didn’t know what was in it, but after a couple hours I felt like nothing happened. I hardly have a period."

Melissa October 9, 2018

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So we had a little incident and we had actually have used plan b before but I went to pharmacy and they were completely out, I saw aftera and looked it up on google says it’s 75-89 percent affective. I’m not sure if it is or not yet but I even spoke to the pharmacist she said it’s the same effectiveness as plan b. I got it plus it’s cheaper and the other pharmacy was also out of plan b so it was my last resort. I took it within the same day of him finishing inside me not even in an hour or two span. I took it on the 30th which was two days before I was supposed to get my period and it’s now a week late and I do know that sometimes the morning after pills throw your period off. But I haven’t had any side affects or anything weird happen to me just haven’t gotten my period yet. And honestly looking at all these comments I’m kinda scared that it didn’t work since so many women have gotten pregnant after taking it."

Dom October 9, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I usually don't write reviews for anything but I'm starting tonight. I took plan b for the first time as a precaution in August and 5 days later I got the withdrawal bleeding which was a pretty good sign. My only signature side effect was on and off cramping that drove me to take a test that came out negative. My periods are irregular so I had no clue when I was going to see blood. Luckily 6 weeks after I had the bleeding MY PERIOD CAME TODAY! The advice I have for y'all is to always cover it up or get on some form of birth control. DON'T STRESS let the pill work through your body."

Not today October 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had kyleena for about 6 months until I decided to take it out. For the first 3 months I had dark brown discharge daily with brown specs in it , also accompanied by occasional sharp cramps. After the horrendous discharge experience was over, I was greeted with another issue, chronic yeast infections that I would get every month, sometimes twice a month. I would go to the doctor and get medicine to treat it , it would work then a few days after the treatment , I would get the same symptoms all over again.The side effects weren’t worth it , my vagina was always irritated , swollen, itchy or inflamed. I never used to get this much yeast infections prior to the IUD , I’d get 1-2 max per year which is normal but when it turned into an every month thing I decided to take it out. Also I experienced nausea, headaches, lightheadedness & tender breasts... I almost fainted a few times due to the lightheadedness. Proceed with caution on this one. Do your research."

Basedonatruestory231478 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hi I'm from London, mother of 2 , I got the Kyleena from the sexual health clinic on 20.9.18. The insertion wasn't bad few cramps and then cramping and aching for next 2 days but had to lie down and take it easy. I was on my period when I had it inserted but I've been having light bleeding ever since then every single day!! It is annoying but I'm going to wait 2 months before trying something else. My doc did say I can have the pill on top if its too much bleeding but I don't want any more hormones. I did get some headaches for 2 weeks after but these have gone now and not sure if they were related to the IUD. Overall no acne yet, I used to have implant in my arm that gave me bad acne! However so far other than bleeding I'm happy with it."

KC (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...