User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, My Way, Next Choice, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B One-Step, React

Emergency Contraception

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 7.2 6,928 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Skyla inserted on March 6, 2019 and this is a follow up post. My cramps have subsided and I have had my first period with Skyla. My period was definitely lighter than ever and I barely had any cramps it was amazing! I only had to use a panty liner. I have been spotting every day since insertion but it seems to have slowed down now. I do not feel any of the hormones messing with me. I have PCOS and I am also on metformin to help with my PCOS and I am still losing weight. I did not do well with the pill in the past. I’m 27 and I have never been pregnant before so insertion was very painful. I also have a high pain tolerance. My obgyn even said that my body did not like that at all and I did have pretty decent cramps for a month after. So far I am happy with the device especially since I do not have to worry about birth control now. Make sure you have a good doctor who has done a lot of insertions if you chose to get one. I would never trust my old doctor to put one it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my IUD inserted in December 2018 and I'm supposed to get it out today April 9th 2019 . The insertion was the most terrible pain I've experienced in my life. I also have not given child birth so that might play a factor. The only pro I can say about the IUD is my periods are lighter, shorter, and on time every month !! Besides that I have been breaking out like crazy my skin is usually always clear. Ever since I've been on the IUD my skin has been do terrible and I've gained 12 pounds within 3-4 months !! Ladies if you feel certain birth control isn't working for you try something else !! I've never been so self conscious about myself my jeans don't fit, my face is just terrible when my skin is usually clear. It has changed my personality completely. I'm not myself and can't wait to get it removed ! Every one is different its always worth a try but its not worth you're self love !"

Hm1123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "When I had the IUD put in, it hurt so bad! Most painful thing I’ve experienced during and after. I had bad cramps for about a month and during that time leading up to my 1 month check up I was determined to get it removed. I’m so happy I didn’t. I am currently 6 months in and haven’t had a period in 3 months. I also haven’t gotten pregnant and fail to use any other birth control form, including the pull out method. I still need to go and get the strings cut since sometimes it shifts and I feel it stabbing me. Be prepared to take off work the day you get it put in, nothing prepared me for the pain but I also have a tilted uterus which could have been a big cause of pain. My doctor jammed it in to make sure it was in the correct spot. Every now and then I’ll spot but not enough to wear a tampon or pad. I have gained weight, about 5 pounds but not sure that’s due to the IUD. Love it, glad I got it."

AL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The insertion was truly not bad at all. I do have a fairly high pain tolerance but honestly, the pain was a 2/10 for me. The actual insertion itself was just a bad cramp for me (keeping in mind my cramps have always been tolerable but still painful) and more achey than pinches/stingy feelings. The worst part was the heavy cramping afterwards but that gets better with a heating pad, advil or aleve, ice cream, and chocolate. :) At exactly 1 month I noticed acne which is now cystic acne that I have never really dealt with before. Since it is only a month, I am going to see if my hormones are just still out of whack since the insertion and my recent period. However, I am using benzoyl peroxide for spot treatment and trying to exfoliate more. I would say that the IUD has affected my hormones, but I'm not 100% sure if it is the Kyleena IUD, stress, or both."

HP (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This review is on insertion ONLY. I forgot to take ibuprofen before my appointment and laid there frantically reading all of these reviews about how painful it was going to be. I was actually crying when my doctor came in and was so close to telling him "never mind" after reading the reviews. My doctor continuously told me not to worry. The insertion lasted no longer than 30 seconds and I felt absolutely nothing. I actually said to him "when are you going to insert it" and he was already finished. Don't freak yourself out. Everyone is different."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I decided to go with IUD for birth control because I always forget the pill, and the injection causes weight gain and mood swings. I was inserted the Sklya two days ago and I regret it. My Dr warned me of cramps similar to labor and bleeding, but I didn't think it would be so severe. I've had pain for the past 2 days intermittently and now bloating and severe gas pain in my abdomen. I went to see my Dr and he said its normal and that it can last up to a week. I am very uncomfortable and wish I didn't get Skyla. I failed to properly do my research before the procedure. I recommend women research and see the youtube video reviews to see different side effects and reactions."

Nati (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am an 18 year old girl who has never been pregnant or on any birth control prior to getting my Kyleena IUD inserted a week ago. The insertion experience for me was quite painful, however, it was quick and well worth it to not have to stress about an unwanted pregnancy for the next 5 years. I had it inserted on the last day of my period and experienced severe cramping during and immediately after insertion followed by a few hours of mild cramping. Since then I have not bled or had any cramping, I do have slightly brown discharge, however, a panty liner is an easy fix. I was extremely anxious before insertion from all the online horror stories but I have been loving it (fingers crossed). I know sometimes side effects take time to set in but I will update if anything changes. Plus it was completely covered by insurance so I did not spend a penny."

Ashley (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

My Way (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I told myself that if I got my period, I would come on here and tell my story. If your reading these you are probably stressing just like I was. Don’t stress! The pill will work! You have to keep the faith and try not to think too much about it ( although that is very hard). I lost my virginity to my boyfriend on March 27th. The condom broke so I took a My Way pill almost 11 hours later. I was worried because I am way over the weight limit and I was ovulating so wasn’t sure if the pill would work for me. I was suppose to get my Period on April 9th and I just got it today, April 7th!! I’m so grateful that my period came!! I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had gotten pregnant. While waiting for my period to come, I experienced constipation and stomach pains that would come in the morning and after I ate. These are signs of pregnancy so I didn’t know what was going on. But to God be the glory I’m good !!"

Blessed!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It’s the worst! The insertion hurt more than having both of my kids but the pain went away after about an hour. Then I had to go to the ER about 4 months later from horrible pain with no explanation. Now it’s been a year and a half and somehow my periods went from 1 week to 2-3. I didn’t gain weight but the irregularity and the nonstop spotting is terrible. I am getting it out!!"

Anna (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Lilleta IUD inserted to replace using birth control pills. It is amazing! I am 22 (no kids) and have seen absolutely no change in my weight, mood, acne, or sex drive. Don’t let these negative reviews scare you away, people often write about negative experiences and everyone having a good experience doesn't think about doing a review. Insertion was painful for 30 seconds and then mild cramping for about 2 hours but it has been so worth it! I had sex the next day and my boyfriend and I did not notice the string at all. It is a huge benefit to not use a condom or have to worry about any accidents happening. Only negative would be my one period lasting 2 weeks, but the second week was really light. I haven’t had a period since. Highly recommend Liletta!"

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve been on oral birth control for 11 years, but started getting migraine with aura. I had my IUD inserted 1 week ago today. I took 2 Tylenol before my appointment but still felt a very sharp cramp during the process. My gyno had me lay down for 5 minutes to ensure I was ok. I was good until I stood up. I had a rush of dizziness and nausea. When I got to my car I laid down for a few minutes and I was good to drive. I didn’t start spotting til about an hr after the procedure (bring a panty liner with you just in case) and my cramps were awful. They were awful for the rest of the day, and the next few days I had waves of minor cramps but they weren’t bad enough to take Tylenol. I feel way better today, no cramps and I feel normal. So far I’ve only had bleeding the day of insertion. I do have to say it has been really nice not needing to take a pill everyday."

Anonymous April 5, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had my Kyleena for 1 month and I'm wondering why I didn't choose this sooner! I used birth control pills previous to having Kyleena and I was absolutely miserable. My estrogen levels were too low causing irregular bleeding, anxiety, depression, weight gain, etc. I needed a pill with a higher dose of estrogen, however, my doctor would not prescribe a higher dose pill due to my high blood pressure which was already being worsened by the low dose BCP I was taking. In fact, high blood pressure is the main reason my doctor encouraged me to switch to an IUD. One month in and I feel like a new woman! My anxiety and depression, while still a bit present, has improved significantly. My blood pressure has dropped to within a normal range. It's freeing to know that I no longer have to remember to take a pill at the same time everyday and I don't have to remember to pack my pills when I won't be at home. I'm acne prone and I feel my skin is clearer now than while on the pill."

Lucy08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2019

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am actually in year 2 of my second Skyla IUD. The first one was painful to have inserted, and getting it removed was painful as well. With my second insertion, I took something beforehand and barely felt it. I’ve never had a period with this IUD. I love it. At this point I plan to have a third inserted next year when this one expires.☺️"

Linds (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve recently gotten Liletta IUD and I’ve had it for going on a week and still have cramping which is super annoying and is causing my horrible mood ! If the cramping doesn’t stop I’ll be having this removed soon!"

Cat-n-theHatttz (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I do not recommend this pill. Spend the extra money and buy a Plan B. My period is now 3 weeks late, I am tired, nauseous, my boobs hurt, etc. I really can’t function normally with the side effects it has given me. Hoping I’m not pregnant."

Brianna (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My insertion experience was awful. I'd been on the pill for 12 years and decided to make the switch to Kyleena thinking my side effects would be minimal having taken hormones for so many years. Boy was I wrong. My insertion took just over an hour and I felt like I was in labour the majority of the time. I was screaming and moaning uncontrollably it was so painful (actually quite embarrassing but I couldn't help it). I had to call in sick to work for the same day and the following 2 days because I was cramping and bleeding so heavily. The bleeding got worse about a week later and I ended up going to the hospital. The heavy bleeding persisted over about 3 weeks, coupled with major cramping that eventually dwindled down to no cramping at all. I'm now 6 weeks post-insertion and am finally feeling back to normal. I'm so happy this is good for 5 years because I will NOT be getting this again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

My Way (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Took MyWay within 24 hours of unprotected sex and still got pregnant. Not happy at all right now."

K (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The IUD has been a great experience for me so far, I made the mistake of reading reviews before the insertion which scared me but honestly it’s been great. When it comes to the pain of the insertion, yes I felt a cramp and two pinches but the whole thing took a total of two minutes... honestly two minutes. It wasn’t a horrible pain and it was definitely tolerable especially for the whole two minutes it takes. The after cramping was uncomfortable but taking some Advil and relaxing helped. It’s totally worth it. Would recommend to anyone and everyone."

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I will never take this pill again. I had the worst side effects from it. I had severe migraines 2 days after taking it and a week later I’m so nauseous and bloated. I couldn’t even finish my routine at the gym today. Not sure if the the pill worked yet, I do feel like I’m pregnant with how crappy and tired I feel. Spend the extra 10$ and get Plan B."

Anonymous April 3, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Kyleena in October of 2018, and it wasn't very painful to get put in at all. I think that aspect really depends on what you're like pain tolerance wise. I liked it a lot at first, I was able to have sex with my boyfriend and not worry about anything. I spotted a little bit for the first six weeks, mostly brown weird discharge that was kind of a turn off. That cleared up, but then I noticed I had started to gain weight and feel INCREDIBLY anxious ALL THE TIME. I didn't know this was a side affect. I struggled with it before, just a little bit, but not to the crippling point it is currently at. My libido also tanked and that defeats the whole purpose of even having it for me. I love the ease of knowing I'm not pregnant, but the insane mood swings and depression and anxiety are absolutely NOT worth it to me. I have an appointment to take it out 6 months after insertion and I am so excited for the light at the end of this anxiety tunnel."

RoseBud46 April 2, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am a 23 and have never had a child. I tried Kyleena for five-six months. I will say, it does it’s job. I never had concerns about pregnancy. It gave my husband and I peace of mind. However, I discovered I was sensitive to the progesterone in the IUD. I gained 15 pounds without change to diet or lifestyle (I also never gain more than five pounds, so this was alarming), and I had terribly acne on my chin. I felt bloated all the time. Towards the beginning, I experienced cramping and irregular bleeding which passed with time. However, I still had pains when sitting in certain positions and exercising; it felt as though something was stuck in my body. Maybe this is because I hadn’t had kids? I don’t know. I had previously taken Junel Fe, and I had little to no symptoms. Overall, if you decide to go this route, pay attention to how you feel with it. Every person is different!"

Mixed Reviews (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2019

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took Take Action 30 mins after condom failure. I was in my fertility window. Four days later I started bleeding for the next 5 days. I've had sore boobs since taking the pill and still do. I got my period on time. This pill does work!"

Marymay April 1, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I kept my Paragard (copper, nonhormonal IUD) inserted for just over a year. At first, I really liked it because it was a long-term non-hormonal birth control option. The side effects were AWFUL -- painful cramps that made me miss work, heavier periods than I've ever had, and pain/bleeding during sex. After the first year, I talked with my gyno about different IUD options, because I still liked the fact that I didn't have to think about my birth control for such a long time. She recommended Kyleena because it's tiny and just as effective as Paragard. It was a bit challenging to get my old IUD removed and this one inserted in the same visit, but the last 6 months with Kyleena have been amazing -- no cramping, lighter and more regular periods (I do have a few days of spotting before my period actually starts), and sex is fun again. I would definitely recommend Kyleena to anyone looking to switch from the pill to an IUD. Cheers to the next few unwanted-pregnancy-free years!"

IUDream April 1, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the Liletta IUD for about 4 months now. When I first got it I choose not to be put to sleep & it hurt really bad & was a little traumatizing. I'm 4 months in and have no extra acne or weight gain. I've been bleeding most of the time I've had it, but they said that is normal for the first 3-6 months. I honestly think it's a great birth control for me, however everyone is different."

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had the IUD done on Friday. Before this I had been having abnormal bleeding for a month non stop, but dealing with bleeding problems for 6 months and now since I got the Mirena I have stopped bleeding in 2 days."

Tina (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2019