User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1187 reviews 14 medications

8.8
Birth Control 1986 reviews 283 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 270 reviews 162 medications

5.7
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 3443 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had skyla inserted a year ago. Having it inserted was not pleasant. There was some heavy cramping and I was bleeding/spotting for the next two months or so but since then my periods have been light if I have them at all my acne has almost completely cleared up. I have not gained any weight, I have lost some (though not on purpose). Besides my partner sometimes feeling the strings and some bleeding during sex, as well as some painful cramping from time to time it's been good. No kids yet haha."

LesThanLikely September 27, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "This pill does work girls !!! I took it right in time since I believe you have to take it within the 72 hour frame. It was expensive ( $50 ) but it was completely worth it! I did have a few side effects a few days after taking it like nausea and a few cramps. I started spotting brown before my normal period came . I was 2 days late on my period but it did come. Don't worry , as long as you take it in time and restrain from sexual intercourse while you wait for your next period & for the pill to do it's magic , the pill will be effective. Highly recommend this pill and it's effectiveness. I did learn my lesson though! Use protection ( condoms ) or birth control pills ladies."

AnonymousWoman1023 September 27, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Spermicide condom broke inside me during the last fertile day of my cycle around 8:30 PM but he did not cum inside of me. Went to by this @ Target at 9 PM so that was around a 30min-1hr time frame from the incident. Experienced extreme mood swings, sadness, anxiety, irrational, depression, fatigue, and etc. Happily got my period two days early. Always works, but extreme side affects. Would recommend having one at home in case all drug stores are closed! Good luck. It worked for me!"

Turtle Lord of the West September 26, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had skyla for 3 years. I still remember getting it inserted it was a terrible experience. During the three years I had terrible ache and experienced a hard time losing weight. I was miserable and over emotional. I had the pill before and I liked it a lot better the only concern was remembering to take it so I switched to Skyla. I am now switching back to the pill!"

Hally (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "I NEVER write reviews but today I decided to because when I was looking through all the reviews here it really helped me. so I'm gonna pay it back and hope to help someone else .... I've never taken this pill before, never really had to but there's always a first time for everything ! So, I took it about 3 hours after my bf finished inside of me . I was freaking out !! I freaked out everyday until today when I finally got my period .. I had sex 9/10, and was supposed to get my period 9/26, I got it 9/25. No side effects except mild nausea , and cramps all the way until today ! But it worked. So let's thank God and all these people that work making these drugs for us ! Hope i could help someone with this review"

Doesn't matter September 26, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the Liletta in for almost two months. I had clear skin before. Never in my life have I had such horrible acne. My skin is constantly oily. The texture of my skin is almost sticky and is not smooth at all. I have a mixture of blackheads, whiteheads every day. I consider myself to have high self esteem in general, but now I avoid the mirror and don't like people looking at me. If this acne doesn't go away in the next couple of months, I'm going to have the IUD removed. My gynecologist said the progesterone is local and doesn't have similar effects as the pill, but that's clearly not the case. Other cons include daily breast tenderness, decreased sex drive, and weight gain. If you can be disciplined, use condoms, not hormones."

Aandt11111111 September 26, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have issues with heavy bleeding as result Mirena IUD was inserted 18 months ago. My bleeding issue has completed been gone. I get a very light period every month and am very happy with that. Since my bleeding was so heavy, my other option would be hysterectomy. My frustration is the weight gain, I've gained 15pounds since this was placed. I'm only 5-2 and workout every single day and watch my carbs and take a very low calorie diet. In spite of this, I still continue to gain weight. I have constant bloating and terrible water retention. All my weight is in my stomach and thighs. I have an appointment this week to get it removed, however I'm scared of having the heavy bleeding again."

I'm 46 year old woman September 25, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had Skyla for over a year. The insertion was not as bad as I was expecting, however, I had a child a month prior. The only complaints that I have are the terrible acne and the difficulty I have had losing weight. I have not gained any weight, however, I have had a hard time losing the weight that I wanted to (only about 10lbs). Overall, the reason that this is available is for birth control. It has been extremely effective for what it was meant for."

Jrathke September 25, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "For any teenage girl who is worried right now, don't be. I did the deed on sept 16 and the condom slipped off in me and I was so freaked that I drove over to Walgreens and took the pill within the first 24 hours because I was nowhere near ready to have a baby or be a mom I am WAY too young for that. At first I was fine, I had no symptoms and was normal but the second day was when the horrors began. I went insane, my mood was so swingy and I was constantly stressed out and nervous and just angry and I cried so much thank goodness I have such a supportive boyfriend to help me be okay. I didn't get the cramping and nausea too bad but I broke out a ton on my face. But do not stress it works and everything will be okay!!"

All is well (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Dont stress! This pill worked, well at least for me. Whenever I feel stressed, i would read the reviews so here's mine. I took the pill 3 hours after condom breakage on the 11th, one week before my expected period(though mines abit irregular around 34days ). I experienced little to no side effect that week. Week passed and still no period but I did start experiencing abit of neasea and cramps. Nothing unbearable tho. I took a pregency test on the 24th n came out neg n that night I got my period! 2 week after the pill and 1 week late from expected period. My period started off light n slowly heading to the heavy side. It might make u come late so don't worry :) worth the 30 bucks"

Anonymous September 25, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I can't take oral hormones due to migraines. I have also never had children. Had the copper IUD inserted when I was 25. Had no problems with it. Switched to Mirena after 5 years. My periods are always between 28 and 32 days. I did not have any troubles with insertion and only took Advil before the appointment. I have had no weight gain, no negative effects at all. I did not have any coverage and have spent over $1000 on IUD's...completely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Switched from combination pill to mirena after 5 years on the pill. I'm 27 and have never been pregnant. The insertion was. the worst thing I've ever experienced ! Almost fainted. The following 8 hours I had really bad cramps (never really had them before), I'd say a 8/10. Also threw up six times and got diarrhoea. Strange! The following 5 days light spotting, then light period (as planned) for about a week. It's now been almost 8 weeks since insertion, got my second period which was very light compared to being on the pill. Apart from the horrible insertion I'm very content with mirena, absolutely worth it! Also much cheaper as my pill cost around $10 each month and the mirena only $70 for five years, perk of living in Sweden."

Christina046 September 24, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I want to start out by saying everyone's going to have different experiences! For example I read reviews and everyone was saying it's really painful and yadyadya but my experience was completely painless ! A little cramping but nothing out of the ordinary ! Take some pills and keep kicking ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was the first IUD I've ever tried, no kids and wasn't planning on getting it so I didn't take any ibuprofen. I had it placed in June, cramps from insertion lasted a full 2 weeks with spotting everyday. Spotting later turned into daily bleeding and following up with OBGYN, I've now been bleeding a straight 3 months and go in next week for another ultrasound and plan on having it removed. Terrible experience hurt really bad getting it in and now I'm sure will hurt to get it removed. The strings like fishing line so I could feel them as well which was sort of annoying"

Quartwelve (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Scale of 1 to 10 for pain... 7ish. Cervix was cleaned with iodine 3 times and then they measured. That was a large cramping feeling and pinched (I have a very sensitive cervix... paps hurt me, for perspective). Insertion of Skyla - didn't notice a change in pain, just the same as the measurement. This time, I could feel my doctor moving it into place. Then it was done. I spotted a couple times this evening - been 12 hours since I got it. Just have some slight cramping which ibuprofen helped. Also found out my uterus is very small - 5cm vs the normal 7 cm. If I can do it, you can too."

DanniSaur (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my mirena placed today and while time will tell what happens my insertion experience was nothing like the majority of reviews I've read. I am 31 years old and have 2 daughters, youngest being 19mo. I had absolutely no problem with insertion. I share bc i saw so many posts about pain and cramps, and while everyone is different, it's not that scary. I will follow up, but i will say this was nothing more than a pap to me. Mom's, i feel great, happy and I'm not gushing like I've heard happens. It's been most of the day and I'm barely spotting. Much luck, be safe, but don't be turned off by everything you read ☺"

Justwanttohelp September 24, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Caused hair loss"

DON'T GET THIS HORRIBLE IUD - September 23, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had a quickie n he decided to finish it off in me... Well IMMEDIATELY we went 2 our local pharmacy n bought this plan b 1 step pill.I took it immediately.2 weeks later,took a pregnancy test n got the world's BIGGEST POSITIVE. The small pill was $50.That was the 1st time in a year n a half that I had intercourse n the last after I had my first son. I honestly believe this pill is ineffective because they just want u to think it works when n reality, it would never work. Alot of women don't know their bodies when they ovulate so if your not fertile and he ejaculates n u and u take the pill n dont get preg., The pill is supposed to make u think it worked. DO NOT buy. Was NEVER effective. Thank u!"

Anonymous Lady (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

Anonymous Lady September 23, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "To all the ladies reading the reviews and stressing out stop. This pill is very affective but stress will delay your period even more. Mine finally came today 9 days late. And I took the pill on day three after the 'accident'. I just kept stressing and stressing having parsley in tea and taking in lots of vitamin c and cinnamon paranoid. Reading reviews all day. The incident happened like 5 days before my period was supposed to start so this waiting game seemed like forever. My friends kept telling me to relax but I felt like I was going to die being 18 and all with overprotective parents. It was my first time and it didnt happened all the way but my friends told me about precum so I was terrified. Having bad cramps right now and bleedin:D"

mrs.bunney September 22, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got skyla on August 23. The doctor gave me Ibuprofen about 10 mintues before. So she went in with 1 swab of numbing cream and 2 shots. It took her awhile to insert it because I wasn't dilated all the way. It didn't hurt that bad during the procedure. When the procedure was done they had me lay on my side and I was turning pale and cramping alot afterwards. I asked if I could get up and go to the restroom. So I got up and the doctor asked if I was okay. I said no I feel like I'm going to faint. Next thing I know I'm on the ground with the doctor beside me. When I came back into the room a laid down somemore until my mom got in the room. I was begging to leave that instant but they wouldn't let me go. Because the cramps were so bad I couldn't go to school for the rest of the day. It's September 22 and I've been cramping and bleeding everyday since. I've been hot all the time and I've been eating more than usual."

Veronica b16 September 22, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I love the Skyla! I'm 19 and have had it in almost a year and I love it. The only down side is the cramping and bloating. I hardly ever have a period, which I only had a 3 day period before the birth control. My sex drive is extremely high. Over all I love it. The cramping is just the worst part. Insertion took all of 10 minutes with my doctor explaining and talking and then inserting it. I cramped afterwards but nothing out of the norm. I'm covered for 3 years and I love it"

Michellealmand117 September 22, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got skyla yesterday. The pill was not working for me and I mentioned maybe wanting skyla. Before I knew it my gyno was in the room with the kit read to insert it. So I was not prepared so I didn't take any pain killers. My cervix is very far up so she had to clamp it to pull it down. The insertion was the worst pain I have ever felt down there. Felt like knives turning as she inserted it. After I was unclamped the pressure started to go away. I went home and took some tylonal and a nap. I woke up and went to work for 12 hours. Worst decision of my life. I recomend staying home the day you get it done.It's day 2 and cramps aren't horrible but still are there and I'm spotting. I'm to afraid to put a tampon in or try having sex"

Bobbi Jo O September 22, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I was sure I was ovulating when the condom broke, but I took Plan B 9 hours after the incident. I read on the Planned Parenthood website that if you are ovulating or have already ovulated, Plan B has no effect in preventing pregnancy. Luckily, I got my period on the exact day that I was supposed to. I rated 10 stars because if taken before ovulation, it is very effective as it mainly works by delaying ovulation. However, during or after ovulation it's not clear that it works to prevent pregnancy. I didn't get pregnant, and it may be because Plan B did it's job in preventing implantation, or it could have been because I was not actually ovulating. It is difficult to tell when exactly you are ovulating. Don't freak out just yet. Good luck!"

fertile myrtle September 22, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Today I went in for my IUD Mirena insertion, and I have to say it was a bad experience for me. HOWEVER, here's my situation, I have only had ever light and short periods. I have never experienced cramps or sharp pains during my period. During the procedure I had insane cramping right away and I felt like I was going to be sick from both ends at any minute. I had trouble waking and was in crippling pain for 5hrs, and am still in slight discomfort. But from what my mom and the doctors all said apparently that's just what bad period cramps feel like. Ie if your use to bad periods this may be easier for you, but if not you may have a bad time like I did. I suggest bringing a friend with you in case."

pom419 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016