User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, EContra One-Step, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, Morning After, My Choice, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, React, Skyla, Take Action …show all brand names

Emergency Contraception

6.1

54 reviews
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 7.3 5,848 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Lilletta is still pretty much new. Just to give a little history I had the mirena installed twice; meaning I maxed one out and got my second mirena installed and maxed that one out too. Since I was informed that the mirena no longer is being made the next best thing similar to the mirena was the lilletta. The lilletta was good for 3 years instead of the 5 years like the mirena. Anyhow when I got the mirena placed I had developed anxiety along with being irritable and angry but since having the lilletta placed, those symptoms has been 60x worse. The anxiety has shot through the roof, the anger is much worse, the agitation is much worse, and there seems to be this brain fog. The brain fog is so severe that trying to remember what I did the day before is very difficult. So I had it removed and awaiting my body to fully detox of years of hormones. Awaiting my next appointment to have paragard birth control placed."

Be Careful (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had mirena for irregular periods placed in 2012 . My tubes were tied 3 years prior. For the past 5 years I have loved having NO periods! I don't want it removed because I don't want my periods again lol will this be detrimental to my health?"

Jsovs (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2018

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I suffer from ovarian cysts which is why I started taking birth control. My cysts became so large my doctor was worried about my ovary collapsing. I had at least 3 cysts burst which is VERY painful. During the time I had the IUD, I was increasingly becoming more depressed, I had no interest in my friends or family and I just didn't feel right. My family doctor prescribed an anti-depressant and recommended follow up with a psychiatrist. After speaking with a nurse at the office she helped me realize it was the IUD that had changed my behavior. Like every medicine, every patient will be affected differently. If something doesn’t feel right. If you just feel off. Make sure you talk with your doctor, they might be able to help."

Fe April 12, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I had the Kyleena Insertion about 7 months ago and I absolutely love it!!! I have very little cramping, and my periods are regulated since the start. The only weird thing that has happened since getting the IUD is that I have lost a lot of weight ( about 30-35 pounds ), and also my breasts went from a size DDD to almost a C...It’s a weird thing to complain about, but I did want to leave this here in the case that it is happening to someone else!"

tray M (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I got Kyleena March 23, today is April 11. Today is the two week mark. The pain I experienced during insertion wasn’t nearly as bad as I had expected. Just felt like a really bad period cramp. I thought I was all good but I have been expelling a whole bunch of brown (old) blood from my downstairs for over a week, and let me tell you these cramps are ridiculous. Is this normal?? I checked my string and I mean I can feel it but, these cramps are something serious!! Someone help!!! Ibuprofen and Tylenol, any painkiller I try doesn’t work! It’s funny because the pain of getting it inserted is what these cramps feel like. The insertion, not too bad, but when I’m getting those pains frequently, heck no!! I don’t want! And it’s weird because these pains usually start kicking in around 7-8pm. The blood is never ending unfortunately. Anyone else?"

Ryn (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the Kyleena IUD for a little over 2 years now (since Feb 2016). The only problem I had was insertion, since I've had no children, which was more uncomfortable than painful, and takes about as long as a Pap Smear. Most of the pain was the cramping afterwards which lasted 3 days. 400-600 mg of Ibuprofen daily helped. I also got a small cyst on my ovary about a month after which bursted but healed on its own. My main reason for choosing this method was the hope of less painful and heavy periods. I do not have periods at all since having it inserted. Every few months I may have spotting but nothing else. It has not only been helpful in preventing terrible periods, but also is an effective form of birth control. My boyfriend and I were hesitant at first but became more comfortable when I, of course, didn't become pregnant. 2 years later and I'm still kid free and (hopefully) good for another 3 years. Definitely one of the best decisions I made and worth it"

Ari April 11, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 23 years old and this is my second time with an IUD. I had Mirena in before hand but took it out after one year because of bad mood swings. I heard about Kyleena and how it has low dosage of hormones, so I thought it would be a better alternative. Well I am four months in and I am experiencing constant cramps that are becoming painful and very annoying. I also notice my acne has change into cyst acne. As well as my weight and mood has change too. I am honestly thinking about removing it and just going back to the pill. I know Kyleena doesn't work for everyone, but I am sad that it wasn't able to work for me."

dani_hearts (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I never leave reviews but I had to for my conscience sake. This was by far one of the most painful (and I mean Braveheart getting tortured painful) experiences I have ever had. And yes I’ve had a baby so this is pretty terrible. The insertion felt like I was getting speared through the middle. Cramping was so bad I couldn’t drive to work. I have been crying off and on for days and feel angry for no reason. Doctor talked me out of the Paragard and I got the Kyleena but maybe that was a mistake as these hormones are adding fuel to the fire. I’m miserable but am hoping that I get better soon. "

Em (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "18yo, first IUD, no kids, average height and weight. Insertion was the worst pain of my life, but it only lasted a few minutes. I did not take any pain medication in preparation for this but looking back I should have. First couple hours I bled heavy with horrible cramps, just wanted to curl up into a ball and die but I have never really had a problem with cramps before so this may be normal to most. This is day 3 post insertion, every once and awhile I'll have some pain in what I'm assuming is my uterus, not bad at all though. Bleeding has slowed to just spotting. Will update soon"

ash (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "After about 30 minutes of having unprotected sex where an ejaculation occurred, I went out and bought an Aftera pill. It was about $10 less than a Plan B. I immediately took it after purchasing. After about a month of stressing myself out and frantic worrying, my period came (slightly early). Just a forewarning before taking: my cramps were the worst I have ever had them. They actually caused me to sweat they were so extreme. All in all, if I ever need one again (hopefully I won’t) I would recommend Aftera. Ladies don’t stress yourself out and trust the pill. It works!"

Alyssa (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took plan b after the condom broke so I wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t get pregnant. A few weeks later after taking the pill I had frequent lower abdominal pain but I thought it was my period. A week later my period still didn’t come so I became concerned because I still had lower pelvis and abdominal pain. I went to the doctor and tested positive for a uterine Infection and a yeast infection. I do not recommend plan b because there are side effects that are not listed. If you are worried about being pregnant go to your doctor. Plan b made things worse for me"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So today I went to my Gyno’s office to get Kyleena put in. Well oh well the pain I felt while the procedure happened (even though it was quick) I was asking my doctor to stop because it hurt so bad. I also contemplated not going through with it anymore. I took two Tylenol extra strength before I arrived, I felt a sudden hot flash feeling come on and literally felt like I could pass out. My doctor said to pick up Motrin because it might be bettered for the cramping. As of right now I feel like I just have really bad cramps, I’m using a heating pad on and off and just trying to get my body comfortable. It feels like how I used to get cramps before I ever even went on birth control. My period flow definitely got heavier after the procedure which is normal. Hopefully this works for me and I’ll be feeling better in a few days and won’t experience any major side effects."

Manda (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla for birth control and also because I was having irregular/long periods (usually 12-14 days of 28-32 day cycle that varied). In the first months after I got it, I did see an increase in acne (I am already prone to acne, but it did get worse). Throughout, I have had frequent spotting and irregular bleeding. I have had two "periods" that lasted 23 days with light bleeding/spotting and maybe 1-2 days of heavier bleeding. So basically since I have been on Skyla, more than half of my life I have spotting. It has been very frustrating. I am considering switching to Kyleena or to a different birth control completely because I pretty much always have spotting. I think 8 months is long enough to see that this is not a good fit for me. Has anyone else had similar experiences?"

27yr never preg skyla 8 months (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the skyla IUD for about 2 years now and it was great for about a year of it. Don’t get a period anymore and my mood and everything was great. I gained 25lbs in a matter of 2 months though after I got it which I have been running everyday to try and get rid of to no avail. The reason why I rate skyla so low is that it has caused me to become allergic to random things and food. I’m now deathly allergic to a couple different spices, as well as metals! I was freaking out getting tests done to find out what I’m allergic to and why when I’ve never had allergies before. I then thought that maybe it could be the IUD, did the research, and it 100% is. It has something in it that affects your immune system and causes allergies in women who have the IUD. I am on vacation right now so I have to wait to get back home to have it removed and hopefully my life will go back to normal."

Liz (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the Kyleena inserted about 4 months ago. I’m 20 years old and have not used any form of BC before this. I found the insertion to be extremely uncomfortable and way more painful than I anticipated. The cramping for the next few weeks were even more awful. I contemplated getting it removed due to the pain. Within two weeks of getting it I was very sexually active. I was spotting a lot of brown blood and cramped on occasion but nothing bad. In some positions my boyfriend said he could feel the string poking him. He had a cut from it so we stopped doing those positions. It hurt a bit in other positions I felt like it was being knocked around. A month after that the spotting stopped and the sex felt almost completely normal. I do feel like I’m more prone to getting acne now, I haven’t gained weight.I would say I’m a bit more moody and that my sex drive Is lower. I have now stopped getting my periods."

Mae April 9, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve been on Kyleena for about one month. The insertion was absolutely not as bad as I thought. I took three ibuprofen before I went and asked if I could play games on my phone while it was happening. I felt a little twinge but that was about it. The worst part is the cramping that you’ll experience after. I was barely able to work that night but I still managed to. The side effects that I’ve been experiencing through this past month have been most prominently bleeding. Just spotting though nothing like an actual period. Secondly I’ve been experiencing cramping on and off and it’s been pretty brutal some days and some days I feel nothing. I’ve had two or three days where I have been pretty emotional but I’m not sure if that’s from the IUD or not. I’m curious to know when I will stop bleeding and cramping. Looking forward to that day. I will Keep you updated. So far no pregnancy though, which is the whole point."

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So my experience with liletta has been terrible. The insertion wasn't bad I can handle that honestly but the pain after is terrible. I've had it for almost a year and every time I have my period the cramps are 10000 times worse. They feel like damn contractions. I can barely stand with them. I hate it so much but it's a very effective way to have birth control. My period is lighter but this pain is really horrible so think twice before getting it"

Lil April 7, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the Kyleena 10 months. It was the most convenient birth control, but that IS ALL THAT I CAN SAY GOOD ABOUT IT. For 10 months, I have been in sooooooooooo much pain. Everyone's body is different. Kyleena did not agree with my body. Everyone told me to give it 4 months, 6 months, and at 10 months, I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was so severe that I could not walk or move. Excruciating!! I also would bloat so bad that I would gain 5-7 pounds in week. I finally got it removed TODAY and it was a little painful, but that went away with Advil and I am feeling amazing. No heavy bleeding, just spotting. Downside, I am going on a low dose of BC pills. Not the most convenient, but I sure do feel better and immediately the bloating went away. No more mood swings and my sex drive seems to be returning."

Irontable69 April 7, 2018

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The only good thing about this pill is that it works. But then from the symptoms that I'm experiencing I'm not even sure that is a good thing. I took Plan B two weeks ago exactly 6 hours after having had unprotected sex. Got some sort of weird heavy period about 4 days after I took it and I've been bleeding ever since. That is 10 days of bleeding and I feel weak, I can't sleep more than 4 hours each night, my boobs are sore, my cramps are worse than I could ever imagine and I was so hormonal the first 2 days that I went into depression. I will never take this pill again I would rather end up pregnant than go through what I am feeling right now."

Corie (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Like most of the other reviewers it was very painful. I had no pain meds before hand and wasn’t expecting it to be as bad as it was. Brought tears and I was sick to my stomach. I was told to come in in three months to check the position. I had been having random craps and bleeding every day. If I was active or If I had a bowel movement I cramped. I have always had painful cramps and ovulation. Turns out I had a very thin lining to my uterus and two cysts on my left ovary. The cysts will just be a thing with me always has been apparently. I as put on a pain pill which made me nauseous, estrogen to holds my lining, and and antibiotic for good measure. I felt better through March, but I've started cramping again in April when I have been active again. I would not do it again. It has been nice not to worry about taking a pill every day but it’s been kind of a rough journey. I will keep it in, but may be going back to see if my lining has gotten too thin again."

Anonymous April 6, 2018

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Ladies, don’t panic. Take a deep breath and let the pill do its magic!!!!! Me and my boyfriend had sex a few days after my period ended and the condom broke. I was in my ovulation days and I was so worried. I took plan B 30 mins after it happened and I got my period 2-3 days early!!!!!! fter a week of taking it I had heavy bleeding for about 3 days. it works. trust it!!!!!"

Anonymous April 6, 2018

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my IUD November 10, 2017. I am 28, no children. I have always had a a very heavy yet consistent menstrual cycle. I've known numerous people who love their IUD's so I decided to give it a try. It was painful, I'd say a 7/10 for me. I had pretty bad cramps daily for about 1 month and a regular period for the first few months. I got my one month check and he said that it looked good.... It is now April 5th, it has been Almost 6 months and I still have my period. It is lighter, but still requires a pad or a tampon 2-3 times a day. In the past 6 months, there was only 1 week that it had stopped. As for the birth control part.....I am satisfied. I saw my doctor today, who is sending me for a ultrasound next week. Once we know if there is anything wrong then I will have to decide if I want to keep it, remove it or replace it. Hopefully we find something out soon!"

Ham (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had minimal pain during insertion (took some pill they gave me the night before to soften the cervix and two ibuprofen right before the appointment -- also had it inserted on the second day of my period). I had some pretty severe cramps in the afternoon for the next four days (only in the afternoon/evening, it was weird). But it's now been just over a week and I'm completely pain free and seemingly fine! Still lightly spotting, but that sometimes happens after my periods anyway, so nothing crazy :-)"

JR (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Post No. 2: I’ve had the Kyleena for 4 months now and I still think this is one of the best decisions I ever made. For 1st week, I’ve had a few cramps and felt gassy. On the 1st time I got my period after insertion, I bled for 3 weeks (light to medium flow). I still spot on and off between periods so I just wear a pantyliner on most days. My period has become more regular and flow is much lighter than usual (50-60% less vs before Kyleena). I have less acne (almost gone!) and no migraines. Sex drive is up. My only real complaint is the spotting but that’s nothing compared to the benefits of having Kyleena."

BonjourBella (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the kyleena for two months. PMS for the last two periods has been difficult. Breasts are really sensitive. My sex drive has taken quite a large dip. Also my husband and I have had to use lube for the first time. My skin is amazing, suffered for years from acne. No weight gain but bloating on and off. Cramping stopped after three week mark. Barely any bleeding on period days."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018