User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1490 reviews 16 medications

8.6
Birth Control 2400 reviews 295 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 318 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 4208 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla inserted March 15th, which was the 5th day of my period. It was suggested I get it inserted while on my cycle due to the fact that I've never had children and during your cycle your cervix is supposed to open up some. Insertion hurt like hell I groaned in pain that was the absolute worst pain I've experienced (I've had my nipples pierced and a foot tattoo which are pretty painful but the insertion tops that!), I got so hot afterwards and light headed I had to sit there for a minute while the nurse got me water. Haven't had any side effects besides constant spotting like I haven't stopped bleeding since the insertion, its March 25th so I've had additional bleeding for a week and half going on two weeks. I HOPE IT STOPS SOON!!"

adrianamarieeee March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Kyleena inserted this morning, and honestly, it really didn't hurt. The whole thing took less that 1 minute. I felt slightly crampy for about 30 seconds during, and when my doctor said "done", I hadn't even realized she had started the procedure. All my friends had me absolutely terrified, saying it was going to hurt, when they've never even had an IUD themselves. My advice: don't listen to what others say, eat a good breakfast the day of, and try to relax. A minute of slight discomfort is so worth not having to worry about birth control for 5 years. You can do it!"

Jewels3611 March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I absolutely freaked out TODAY when I went to get my IUD Because I read every. Single. Review on this website. Girls! Don't freak ourself out! My pain rating was in the negatives! And it completely stopped my very heavy period in 12 hours. I know everyone's story is different but don't rely on reviews when it comes to your body :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I wanted to come back after I knew if I was pregnant or not because heaven knows these reviews made me feel so much better and I want to provide someone with that same relief. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend super close to the time I ovulated, he pulled out when he came but went back in for a second round right after. I took the pill the next day about twelve hours after this occurred. My period tracker said my period was due in a week (sometimes it's a week off which is why I was nervous about the ovulating) and I ended up getting it three days later than anticipated. (Thirty minutes ago!) Trust you will be taken care of and things will work out okay, the pill definitely works for the vast majority, be hopeful!"

LizbitFZ March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "For YEARS, I've been scared about getting an IUD. I have sensitivities to metals and plastics. I've been talking birth control pills for close to 15 years. I'm 32 with no children and started getting migraines with aura because of birth control pills. I reluctantly made the decision to get skyla. The measuring and insertion is the most excruciating pain I've ever felt however it was maybe 30 seconds for each. Afterwards I had some pressure and an uncomfortable feeling inside my vagina. Also, felt like I needed to poop something out for an hour but....that was it. Totally worth it so far."

Worth the one minute of pain (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Had sex last day of my period, no condom. Finished completely inside. Took plan be 6 hours after incident. Abdominal pain, depression, and extreme tiredness. I kid you not, I slept a full day and into the evening. This weight limit crap that has been surfacing the internet is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Seriously, the average weight of a woman in the US is about 150-160 pounds, you do the math. I'm about 170. Anyways, experienced heavy spotting a week after taking the pill for about 3 days. Honestly was heavy enough to be a short period. My period was scheduled to start March 15th. It's March 24th, and I finally started (which is right on time if you count the number of days since the induced period from the plan B)."

BVB10 March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex with a condom, he took it off in between, and then put on another one. Ultimately, he came into the condom, but I was worried about precum. I think it was also the time I was ovulating. I took plan b one step 26 hours after and I'm 160 lbs. I got my period around two weeks later and have an irregular cycle. It was spotting for for like 5 hours that morning/afternoon and then I got my period normally that night. It lasted about 6 days, as usual. The only symptoms I felt were nausea for one day a few days after I took the pill, bloating, and really bad acne. My face has breakouts all over it and it's been almost 2 months. I just got my second period since the pill now that it is March, so it surely worked. bad acne though."

itookit (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I will start by saying that I read these reviews days before getting my IUD inserted and after reading some I was terrified. I thought it was going to be the worst pain in my entire life. I went in to the doctor's terrified with a list of questions &an Ibuprofen 800 in my system. My doctor is great so she calmed me down and answered everything. Before I knew it I was done & good to go. It was one of the easiest things I have ever had done and the worst pain (just an uncomfortable cramp) was when she used the tool to hold my cervix in place, the IUD itself was nothing after that pinch. I know everyone is different but figured I'd let others know that it's not that bad for everyone and I'm so thankful I got it."

Carlie2323 March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 20 years old and I've been on various forms of birth control since I was 16 due to horrible cramps, among other things. I could never find one that worked quite right with minimal side effects. I was nervous about an IUD at first, but 8 months later and I absolutely love it. I haven't had a period in 5 months, and have had none of the typical negative effects that I got from the pill. I would recommend this to anyone, and the insertion procedure is nowhere near as bad as the reviews say!"

collegegirl649448532798428954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My doctor gave me an 800 mg Ibuprofen about an hour before insertion. While they attempted to insert the Mirena (which I had originally planned on getting) I experienced horrible pain for nearly 10 minutes. I'm 20 and have never had children and it was one of the most painful experiences of my entire life. I usually have very painful period cramps and this still felt much worse. Finally, they asked if I'd rather have the Skyla, which is smaller and might accommodate my tiny cervix better. In comparison, the Skyla insertion was much quicker and less painful. After the procedure I did throw up once due to the intense pain, but after a few days I experienced little to no side effects. I do recommend taking the day off of work though."

Anonymous March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is completely the worst experience I have had with birth control. I was very skeptical about getting this because I have not had any kids before but rather be safe than sorry. I do not recommend this because the side affects- cramps are extremely painful and unbearable. Over time I thought it would get better but that has not been the case. This has hinder me from doing a lot of things I need to do ."

Lemaa22 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Got Skyla two months ago. Insertion was super painful but quick. I was able to drive and go back to work after with minor discomfort. Since insertion no serious cramping but the spotting is nonstop. SO annoying. Its not enough for a pad but it will ruin your undies. I'm not sexually active at the moment so I didn't have to worry about that but your man will probably be grossed out for a while because the constant blood and discharge smells. I never feel fresh which is enough of a side effect to be turning me off. I'm hoping this subsides as I hear it does after about 3 months. I will say that my mood swings seem WAY better. I've always struggled with acne so that hasn't improved but hasn't significantly worsened so that seems like a wash."

Eliza PA March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It's crazy how everyone is taking meds before this easy IUD insertion but I know everyone is different my experience was so easy no cramps no pain I don't feel it know no side effects what so every. I've had it for a year and a half and no problems. Sex is comfortable no changes. But I didn't have my son with no pain meds before or after. I guess I have a high tolerance for pain. If you are going for the skyla I highly recommend it. It's the best!!"

Nikki162555 March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Kyleena inserted last week after a couple years of being miserable on different BC pills. (My OBGYN said that the side effects of the pills were probably because the hormones were passing through my digestive system, so an IUD would be better). Insertion was a little painful, more uncomfortable than anything, and only took about 2 minutes. (I never had much cramping during my periods and I took 800mg of ibuprofen before insertion) I spotted for a couple hours after insertion, but it's been a week and I've seen no signs of blood. I experienced moderate pain on just the right side of my body for a few days, but a quick check from my doctor assured me that the IUD was in the right place. So far I'm really happy with my IUD!"

HahnaB March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the mirena after giving birth about 7 weeks post partum. I bleed terribly almost every day. Terrible back pains and no energy. Sex went out the window. My doc said to give it three months to regulate but this sucks. I'm bloated all the time and can't loose any weight. So far I'm thinking its not worth it. Obviously, its doing its job but this is not fun and its ruining my sex life !! Also been getting headaches that won't go away."

softangel12 March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I decided to write a review because I was reading all the comments saying it's extremely painful when inserted and I wanted to share my experience. I had a baby in December (3 months ago) which may have attributed to the lack of pain and discomfort. The only real pain and discomfort I had was from the speculum aside from that I couldn't feel a thing. I didn't really get any cramping afterwards either."

Anonymously from me March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I got pregnant after taking a plan b . I had an accident 12/05 took the plan b 12/06 and conceived. I guess I was that unlucky 5% or it was really meant to be ."

Shells07 March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the Mirena almost 5 years now. I no longer have periods. This saves me a week of pain a month. Also if you have endometriosis it helps stop the growth. I highly recommend."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Absolutely horrible. Took ibuprofen prior to insertion. When I got up and went to leave I passed out but insertion was little more than a pinch(no previous pregnancies). While on it I had continuous heavy bleeding, constant pain and hot flashes. I could not even go to work or do pretty much anything but lay down with a heating pad- and I'm used to severe pain. After being told by my doctor repeatedly to give myself time to adjust I finally had it removed after 3 months. It then took 2-3 weeks for the pain and bleeding to stop and hot flashes took about 2 months to go away."

Leda105 March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Had IUD inserted on 2/14 while on my period and it hurt a ton. Period immediately disappeared, to extremely light spotting and then left all together after having it only 2 days (usually 5). I do not feel the IUD at all and I really like it. However, I have noticed that my skin is acting up and that was never an issue for me (used ACV and got it under control). Also, I just got what was supposed to be my period, but only spotted for 10 days, no regular period ever came. Not sure how I feel about the 10 days but my periods before were TERRIBLE so I'm happy that's gone. I had tried the depo shot, 3 different pills and the pullout method prior to this and this is by far the best one. Take ibuprofen before insertion and you'll be ok."

Pros & Cons (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Dang this word count! I'd love to share my full experience, but here's the quick version. Insertion sucked, but I would do it again looking back. I was prescribed misoprostol and a strong NSAIDS to take prior to insertion. Very bad cramps for 5 to 6 hours.. Think of if you've ever had to go home from school because of bad cramps in your teens. Brownish discharge for a couple days, then clear until my period. First period lasted about 16 days, pretty normal for an IUD. Second period was 4 weeks later for 5 days. Periods are now 3 months in between, only lasting 1 day of light spotting. No mood swings at all compared to pill. More body acne but it's manageable. Slight cramps are very rare. Overall love it!"

Sksss March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I know it's pretty soon to leave a review, but I had this inserted this morning (3-20-17). And let's just say I wish I would have taken a few Naproxen before the insertion. The pain of the insertion was about 4/10. But the cramping afterwards!!!!! MY GOD! I threw up twice and was SUPER light headed. But after a 4 hour nap and some pain killers I was ok. I'm experiencing some mild cramps right now. I advise you to take off from work the day of insertion, and grab some yogurt to prevent a yeast infection."

DesM34 March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 23 no children. It didn't really hurt that much going it. A few hours later I had bad cramps which were painful. My periods stopped only little spotting which was brill as I had heavy periods before. This is brilliant. But it's the cramps. They only last 2 mins but they are so intense and its nearly had me crying. But then I haven't had no cramps for 2 weeks but now I've got them again. If it lasted longer I would of had it out by now cause the pain is unreal. I am happy about no periods hopefully it will settle. I'll give it another few months and if I still have these cramps it's coming out."

Anonymous March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hey all, I just wanted to share my experience because I was so scared to get skyla at first because of all the negative reviews. I've had mine for a week now. The insertion process is hard (be sure to take off work after) I had severe cramps for about 4 hours and then minor cramping the next day. Since then I have had basically no pain. Me and my boyfriend waited 5 days before having intercourse and there was no pain when we did (yay!) I still am spotting which is kind of annoying but overall, I'm really happy with this."

Kendall D. March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Worst experience. Only had Skyla for about 3 weeks and got it taken out. I even took two ibuprofen beforehand. The procedure was fairly quick, and at first not too bad, but once they inserted the IUD it was a sharp, excruciating pain. I yelped involuntarily. After about 5 minutes I started to feel faint. Hot, sweating, cramping, lost all of my energy I couldn't even drive myself home. Had to be carried inside and had to lay down, take more ibuprofen. I felt like I was going to throw up, pass out and the cramps were so painful. After about an hour the side effects subsided but sex was uncomfortable, I could feel it, and I got a yeast infection. So many problems, not worth it. Sucks because I can't take the pill due to migraines with aura."

Asherzzbaby24 March 20, 2017