User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Choice, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1772 reviews 19 medications

8.5
Birth Control 2989 reviews 300 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 373 reviews 109 medications

5.4
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 5134 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am five hours post-insertion and I just feel crampy. During the insertion, I honestly hurt so bad. I think I hurt so bad because I was uncomfortable and I would not relax. After the insertion, I felt a really bad cramp in my abdominal region. It also made me feel like I had to pee really bad. I actually got up and I was not dizzy (yet... keep reading). So, I got up, cleaned myself up and I was actually bleeding a whole lot. But my doctor gave me a pad and some wipes. My legs were so weak after that. When I left, I instantly became dizzy and a little nauseated. But the cramps got worse and then when I was home, they weren’t as bad. I also took an extremely hot bath. I’m not bleeding right now but I am still crampy."

Paypau (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hello, so far I feel okay... I just literally got the Mirena at 12pm today. The reviews I just read has me super scared but I'm going to do updates along with changes in my weight. Right when I got it, it felt like the starting of my menstrual cycle. (felt like everything was falling out) the insertion felt like a mean as pinch and as if someone was drawing a straight line with a sharp pencil inside you but it was really really quick!!!!! I took a motrin right afterwards so now at 2:31 I feel fine!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Liletta for 8 months and for the whole 8 months I was constantly taking pretty strong prescription pain medication because the cramps were so bad that I would be falling to the ground at work now with that said, I have a few friends that have it as well and have had not a single issue it works for some people and not for others just like any other birth control don't turn your back on it just because of other's experience! :) it really is amazing and it did do its job lol"

baileyhorror October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "For me, the insertion pain was a 9/10. It's similar to a mild contraction. I've had it in for over four weeks now. In those four weeks, I've had a constant, heavy period, cramps, migraines, bloating, moodiness, worsened acne, and overall tiredness. I'm not saying I didn't have acne or was never tired before, but the last four weeks have made me not want to leave the house. I have to take ibuprofen every 4 hours to relieve the cramps. Everyone's body reacts differently, but at this point, I may get it removed. It's really affected my day to day life."

A1234567890 October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I am feeling sick too my stomach real bad and I am getting so hot. I never feel this way"

Rosieboo October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had Kyleena for about 4 weeks now. When it was inserted, it did hurt more than I expected, but I powered through the pain. I had taken Advil an hour prior, it didn’t really seem to help lol. The rest of the day, I laid in bed with cramping and bleeding. I have been on my period since that day, but it had been light with no cramps up until a week ago, where my period got heavier and I started having severe cramps. I am not sure what is going on, and pain meds seem not to be doing a whole lot for me. I’m eating a lot and I am constantly bloated. I am optimistic about these negative things going away, but if they don’t I will have it removed."

Theysaycerulean October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had Kyleena for 3 months now and it’s been a rough 3 months. I have had spotting every month. The first month I only had spotting for 5 days and then the 2nd month I spotted for 17 days and now I’m on my 3rd month and have been spotting for 12 days. I also have had the worst acne I’ve ever had. All over my chest back and face. The only good thing I could say about this IUD is I don’t have to take a pill everyday so that’s nice. Would not recommend to someone with bad hormonal acne."

Spotting and acne October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I’m writing this review to put your mind at ease . I had unprotected sex on August 27th. It was my first time.Though he did not come inside me, I was worried about pre-cum. I didn’t take the pill until about 27 hours . About a week later I got a “period “, which what I read was mainly due to the pill. I was terrified that I was pregnant and showing symptoms . Google really messes you up. Reviews were worst. I took 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative . Then I was scared because I missed my period . My period is irregular, so it’s even more terrifying. I didn’t get my period till October 12th. So I missed a period.I prayed every day, since taking it . Pray and relax ! I for sure learned my lesson. God listens. Don’t stress, it delays it."

Pray!!!! October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've only had Liletta for 7 days, so I may not be the best judgement. But I did however have the Paragard for 2 years and HATED IT!!! I was fed up and wanted to give a hormonal IUD a shot. And so far it's been night and day from Paragard. Yes it was painful to put in... but since then I haven't felt a thing. I haven't been spotting either. It's honestly been great! But I'll give another update after 30 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got kyleena inserted one week ago and it's been great so far. I took 3 advil before the procedure but the insertion was still pretty painful... my doc had to open my cervix so it would go in and I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out. But afterward the cramping died down and I was cramping/light spotting on and off for 2 days. But now I feel great, the only thing is my boobs are feeling quite sore.. but I'm not sure if that's because of the IUD or my period is going to come early. But over all I'm pretty happy with this decision."

Firsttimebirthcontrol October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I wish I had found this site last year because I would have never gotten this. Now I'm one and a half years in, before I used to have light 4 day periods but now they're light but 2 weeks long. I never have sex anymore because my periods are so irregular and I had no clue. So many others complained about fatigue. I am always tired. I can't use the pill because I smoke and I am terrified to get Mirena out. I had the worst insertion where the first one bent and they had to shove the second one in. I went into shock and couldn't feel my arms or legs for 20 mins. Removal is sure to be difficult with my luck. And who knows if and how long it will take to feel normal again? Every doctor I've talked to says I am the exception but is this said to us just so they can keep selling these?"

CanadaChick (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had this for over a year. Over all I would say it’s an awesome contraceptive. My boyfriend and I never use protection and so far so good. The only thing that I have serious problems with is the side effects! I have horrible pains about twice a month that literally feel paralyzing! It’s only on the left side of the IUD and I’ve gone to the doctors many times and they say that nothings wrong but the pain is severe! Make sure you explore all IUD brands before you make your decision. If you get one your not to crazy about insurance won’t change it until the length of the IUD is over (mine is 4 or 5 years). Over all I give it 10 stars for not getting me pregnant but 0 for the insane pain that I feel monthly."

Alexb.18 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got mine inserted yesterday. I’ve read so many bad things about insertion, but it wasn’t that bad. It just felt like a really deep cramp, but then it went away. The procedure was done within 5 minutes. Today, I’ve been having some cramping, but I’m also on my period, so I’m not sure if the cramping is due to the IUD or my period. I’ve never had a baby before, but I’m sure that the pain from getting an IUD placed is nothing compared to giving birth. I would totally recommend!"

Anahifer October 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Took 2 advil's prior to insertion. The insertion hurts like a cramping feeling for a few minutes at the most. I was terrified after reading all of the reviews about how much it hurt, but it really was not that bad. Afterwards, I laid down for a couple of hours. I was in pain for a bit, but a heated pad really helped with the cramps. The next day/week I was able to work no problem. A week with no problems, then I started to have some cramps and spotting. The spotting lasted on and off for about 6 weeks. Sometimes heavy, but mostly light. I am currently on month 3 with the Kyleena and I am very happy. I cramp a bit when I get my period, but periods last maybe 2 days and are light bleeding."

LA_girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve had the liletta IUD for 3 months now, so I’ve had a little time to observe how my body feels with it. I’ve yet to gain weight, I’ve actually lost 8 pounds. (I’ve been trying) I don’t feel any hormonal mood swings that I would count as out of the ordinary. I do get random cramping and low back pain before my period starts, but it’s manageable. My sex drive increased at first, but seems about normal now. I do not feel “dry” as I’ve heard some complain of. And I’m still getting a period about once a month-six weeks. It lasts about 12 days instead of 7 but it’s light. Overall, I’m loving this so far! All those nasty hormonal side effects I had with other methods have yet to appear."

Ravynbb27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got real bad eczema shortly after having liletta inserted maybe 1 to 2 months after .... and it has only since gotten worse and I no longer have insurance to get it removed or get on another birth control .... be weary of this because it is no joy ride!! Extremely painful itchy skin!!"

Mdgsh56 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "First Skyla came out but got another and I love it. Skyla is amazing! I would recommend over the Mirena due to my size and I’m childless. Insertion wasn’t painful maybe cause I’ve had four IUDs total. Either way get a good doc who does them all the time and you should be fine. Light to no periods is a huge plus!"

Elleeem (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I’ve tried the Mirena, Kyleena and Skyla. I currently have the Kyleena for my endo/adeno pain and bleeding. I loved the Skyla but complications arose with previous IUDs. I would recommend the Skyla or Kyleena to anyone! Love them both! Mirena is great since I had no periods for the year I had it but it was a bit big for my uterus. Other than that Kyleena has been great so far! Insertion didn’t hurt much."

Elleeeem October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Love this form of birth control and am super happy I stuck with it. Crampy every once in a while and am currently dealing with a small breakout but nothing big. Insertion was not a big deal and was definitely NOT the worst pain of my life, just felt uncomfortable and like bad deep period cramps. Would recommend to anyone!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had my Mirena for five years and never experienced any abnormal bleeding; in fact, I stopped having periods after the first six months. I DID however gain a lot of weight which has been impossible to lose no matter what I've tried. Now that it is out, I'm hoping to see the weight go away. If it does, I'll update the post (if I can)."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve tried birth control pills twice before, and each time I gained approx. 10 lbs and had mood swings, SO I decided to try an IUD. The insertion was pretty uncomfortable, and for the rest of the day I had bad cramps, but besides the first day it has been painless. I’ve had it for almost 7 months and I still get periods (lasting about a week) but they’re much lighter. I do have to wear panty liners more (especially during the first couple months you will spot a lot). The only negative side effects I have experienced have been slight moodiness/random sadness, and my eyes have developed a sensitivity to contacts, which just might be my body’s reaction to any birth control. But overall, I think it’s a great option!"

Rach1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Don’t let all these reviews scare you, I’m 4 hours post insertion. Pain wasn’t bad, but you do feel it. Mild cramping after (: not nearly as bad as all these reviews make it out to be!"

Lauraa b (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Next Choice One Dose (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Took next choice, didn't work. Not only did my pregnancy test come out positive but I now have a little bundle of joy to confirm that it did not work."

True Story October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My daughter had a stroke after using this for a year."

Distraught mother (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’m writing this because no one ever reviews things online when they actually work. I’ve had kyleena since April and have had no negative side effects. I had some random spotting for the first couple months and now have not had my period for about two months. No reduction in sex drive or weight gain. The placement wasn’t nearly as painful for me as others have said- about 30 seconds of uncomfortable cramping and then none since."

Christinea27 October 8, 2017