User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, AfterPill, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Choice, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, React, Skyla, Take Action …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.3

Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 6.9 5,374 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So this is going to be a TMI ,I had sex last week on a Monday it’s was at night and long story short the condom completely broke I’m saying it just went straight through, we didn’t notice until after and by then he had finished ,and my periods are very abnormal, so I get them every other month and I’m only 20 I’m not ready for kids and this has never happened to me. I’m always using protection - always - that’s a must! But basically we rushed and got a plan b I’m saying within that first 15 min I had already taken the pill, of course me being me I’m on google getting nervous and worried because I was scared, but I got my period Dec.16 and this happened the week before on a Monday it works just try not to stress let the pill take its course ok , ❤️"

Free_sanat December 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Gave me depression and had to have it removed because it was affecting my life so badly. Time off work, mood swings, pain, spotting... Worst decision of my life."

GeorgieAnna December 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "UPDATE: probably my 3rd one.. But anyways, I’ve had kyleena since early October. The first day was pretty bad, I got dizzy and I had cramps but was fine the next day. Up until mid-late November, I bled everyday. The first couple of days, I bled terribly. After that, I’d bleed every now and then. Some days, I’d see no blood, wouldn’t wear a pad, and BOOM. It eventually stopped and one day recently, I bled for one minute and it was gone, but it actually hurt that time. Overall, it has been good. I use double protection (condoms, kyleena) just in case. Sex after kyleena was rough. I was so sore for a while and had PTSD about sticking anything near that area. Ok great now. It’s been over two months but it has seemed like it’s been forever."

Paypay (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am calling my OB/GYN on MONDAY!!!!! I had my IUD inserted May 2017. Insertion was fine - uncomfortable, but not painful. I was on my last few days of my period and I had no cramping after the procedure and my period basically stopped immediately. I was super excited as I have always had HEAVY periods. Once my first period started after having the IUD, it just wont stop! Basically I'm on my period 3 out of 4 weeks I'll have a break for a day or 2 and then it starts right back up. I have called my doctor so many times, I'm pretty sure they are tired of me. They have tried to put me on additional birth control pills several times on top of the IUD to try to regulate it, but it doesn't. My only solution seem to be to REMOVE IT! I'm so over it!"

Cnwyche (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took plan b 20 minutes after the condom broke but it didn't work for me , I now have a 2 year old. Dec 8 2017 I took plan b again, a week later I have I think what is called a light period, my period comes on the 18th so the light brown blood happened a few days early from my period. Not sure if that was my period or the withdrawal from the increase in hormones. I guess I have to keep on waiting and see if I have a normal period."

Olive99 December 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This review is mainly on the insertion. I actually got skyla put in a few days ago. I knew it was going to hurt a little bit but I have a high pain tolerance so I figured I would be okay. This has to be one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. I have not had a child so mind you my cervix was very very tight. The process of measuring and getting an IUD in you should only take 3 or 4 minutes but this took well close to 10 minutes and incredibly painful. I had work right after (how wise of me to get this done before work) and I work as a server so a lot of bending and hustling around is required. Every time iIbent my torso I had a really bad pain. Muscle relaxers and ibuprofen do help quite a bit."

VikkySixx (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Insertion for me was awful. I have a very high pain tolerance, but this was by far the worst. There was quite a bit of difficulty with the insertion (I am 36, no children), another doctor had to be called in and an ultrasound done in order to get it in. Bleeding after was heavy and lasted about 3 weeks. I have had moderately heavy, long lasting periods ever since. My biggest complaint is that my skin and hair are super oily now. I can wash my face and 10 min later it is just as oily as before. I used to be able to wash my hair every 3 days, but it needs it daily now and I just cannot do that. I have also started to break out badly on my chest and the back of my neck. May have it removed if things don't improve soon."

kbutterfly (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception: "This pill should not be trusted! It failed on me. I took before the 72 mark period and I am took a pregnancy test and I am pregnant. I am so disappointed! "

Consuelo mora December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Skyla placed in June of 2016, the insertion was not a problem. I was told getting it placed while your on your period it would not be painful. I went back to my normal routine when I left the office. I have no weird reactions or crazy long periods. Everything was normal for me until thanksgiving of 2017. I had just had a period two weeks before, but the day of thanksgiving I had heavy bleeding for about two hours, then it was gone. No cramping. No other symptoms. I googled it, so I took a pregnancy test just to rule it out. To my surprise it was positive. My OBGYN pulled my IUD out a few days later and it had not moved, it was in place and I was 5 weeks pregnant. We went from 0% of a full pregnancy to now 95% of full pregnancy."

danimatt (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm 45 and had been experiencing heavy bleeding (no other issues) for a few years, resulting in anemia. After undergoing treatment for that, the high dose of iron that I need to keep my anemia under control was causing severe acid reflux. So, my GP recommended an ablation. When I went to my gyne, she suggested Mirena first as a less invasive option, that should result in no period. Well, I had it inserted Oct 25, 2017, and have been bleeding since a week after insertion. Pretty much a 2 month long period. I have symptoms like I'm pregnant, acne, bloating, headaches, fatigue and strong cramps like I'm a teenager again. I go into the gyne next week to check on the placement, but I am going to request it removed."

kel123456789 December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Very disappointed in my experience. I chose kyleena after much research and for the lesser effects it has on depression. Insertion was uncomfortable but nothing horrendous. My problem was the spotting. I understand this is a normal side effect for many but tell me what the point of birth control is, if you can't have sex because you're continuously spotting?! I even had a blow-out experience during sex where a huge amount of bright red blood exploded all over my husband. I insisted on having it removed at my one month check. I am not one to wait 3 to 6 months, possibly forever, for the bleeding to stop. 2.5 weeks after it was removed and I'm still spotting off and on! I'm horrified at the lasting bleeding. Waiting for my doc to call me back"

Not happy bleeder (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had terrible cyst after having this IUD the cyst would rupture which is extremely painful I had it removed today and replace with a different one. Don't get this IUD !!"

S4211 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: " I had sex on October 13 and condom broke. I took plan b 13 hours after. In 5 day I got period and thought was a symptom of pill. I was waiting for my period I was suppose to get on 31 October but it doesn’t come. I took 4 pregnancy tests about 2 months later, all came out negative. But I still had not gotten my period. I was so freaking out. Three months later after taking plan b I finally got my period!!!! Omg I almost cried. This pill does work!! Just give it time!!"

Giznty December 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got an IUD in because I didn't want to have to worry about my birth control anymore. The first few months (3-6) weren't great and I had light bleeding on and off. My acne did get a little worse and has stayed like that until getting it treated. So I did have side effects but I would still 100% do it all over again and will once my 5 years are up. Now, I will either not have a period or it will be very light for just a few days. Getting it in was uncomfortable but after that you don't notice it at all. When I was on the pill, I was still so worried about getting pregnant that we still used condoms. I can finally have sex without constantly worrying since it is one of the most effective forms of birth control."

Rich7111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just had this inserted today. Reading other reviews will NOT help you predict your procedure experience. Everyone’s body is unique. For me, I would rate the camping pain a 9/10 upon insertion. An hour after the procedure I feel like a 3/10 normal cramp pain. Here’s are the tips I gave my friend for her insertion: 1) if you’re given a cervix softener take an NSAID with it (the softener can cause cramps and kept me up all night) 2) take more that 400mg ibuprofen (this was what was recommended but I could of used 600mg) 3) eat something bland before you go (I didn’t eat lunch and I got the shakes. Definitely have something bland in your stomach) 4) have someone hold your hand or bring a stuffed animal to squeeze"

Kyleena User (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Kyleena inserted 21/11/17, 3 weeks ago. On the day of the insertion no analgesia, and no lidocaine or cervical dilator was used therefore insertion was painful. I felt a mild cramp then a 2 sharp stabbing pains in my cervix. The pain lasted all of 30secs so it is manageable. After I did feel lightheaded, nauseous and became sweaty all of which passed in about 10 mins. For the next 2 days I had moderate cramps. Since insertion I have had occasional mild-moderate cramps few and far between. My only complaint right now is I have bleed every day since insertion more so then just spotting. More similar to a light period. hopefully over the next 2 months things settle down."

26 No Kids (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been using this birth control for over 10 years and I love it! I've had zero issues and zero blood since I've been using the Mirena. I will admit it's not fun getting it inserted if you haven't had a baby come through your cervix but it is definitely worth it!"

Mm18 December 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the liletta inserted a year after giving birth my second child. I was terrified to get it, but I hate birth control pill which alway have me so many side effects. I would research online about IUDs and all I read was horrible painful experiences. I asked some people as well some had good experience others had to remove after a year or so with other IUDs. I finally decided for the sake of not having anymore children to have it inserted. I read it was so painful some women would pass out usually those were girls that have never gave birth . When I had it inserted it didn't not hurt at all! I Bleed on and off for two months I felt a bit weak but my body accepted it and now I forget I even have it! It's amazing."

Amazing! (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This review is merely on the insertion that I just had today. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen beforehand and am on the heaviest most painful day of my period. I have no children and my doctor told me my cervix was very tight so it hurt A LOT. The measuring and opening of the cervix was the most painful and uncomfortable thing for me. When she actually inserted the IUD I immediately felt cramps but they weren’t unbearable. You just have to remember to take deep breaths so you don’t pass out and try to relax. If it’s painful for you please rest for at least 20 minutes before sitting up and going about your day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 12 years old and endometriosis at 24 years old, the mirena was inserted in Jan 2017 to alleviate debilitating symptoms. I was in excruciating pain for 10 months, nausea, vomiting, mood changes and continuous bleeding from month 4 onward. Around month 1, I noticed the weight gain starting so I adapted a healthier diet and exercise regime. I follow a strict 1000-1200 calories/day diet (veg, fruit, chicken/fish, no bread/pastas/potatoes/junk food) and gym 5/wk, 2 h/day with 1h cardio/day. In spite of my efforts, I have gained 13 kgs. My aunt also has it and experienced the same side effects at 50 y/o. I strongly advise against the mirena and will be removing it in Jan 2018."

LTPS (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the kyleena inserted in September 2017 and my Mirena removed the same day. I had a terribly painful experience with the Mirena insertion and Kyleena was no different despite being smaller. I took ibuprofen before and had it inserted during my period. My MD didn’t give me the cervix softer this time bc he says it can actually make cramping worse. Cramping was bad the first day, I felt the need to buy a heating pad. So far I have been having two spotty periods a month with bad cramping but it is getting better, using the heating pad less. The cramping I can honestly deal with the worst part is the acne that I have developed! I’ve never had acne, now it is constant and I have scarring, seeing derm. Hopefully I won’t need to remove it."

Kyla23 December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex on the 10 November I was on my period , I took the plan b pill after 32hrs. Now its been a month haven't got my periods am worried ..."

segnaerewa December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got kyleena on 6/16/17. My doctor recommended that I switch from the pill. The insertion wasn't as bad as everyone said but it wasn't pleasant. My doctor gave me a shot of lidocaine in my cervix so I hardly felt anything just 2 cramps the whole time. I bled for about a month after. Minor break outs that I didn't experience before and mild cramping for a week or so after. I lost weight on this and had minimal side effects in the beginning. Then I got BV and YI symptoms for months, but after many tests I got all negative results for everything under the sun. It started to bother me and I would become swollen after sex. Doctor said to take it out so I did today 6 months later. I really wish it worked for me!"

Trying to stay baby free (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Kyleena put in September (2017), so I've had it for 3 months now. The procedure was simple and quick. I was on the last few days of my period when I saw the OBGYN. The appointment started off just like a annual one. She told me all about it and asked if I had questions. I did a lot of research before, so I felt good and knowledgeable. My OBGYN is fantastic. She explained everything as she did it and told me when I would feel the pinch/pain from the placement. I would describe it as a 6, but it was quick pain. I had a little spotting after and some cramping. I did half a day at work, so I relaxed with a heated blanket, napped and was fine by the next day. Side effects: acne first month (gone now) and some spotting (third month)."

CLDean December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Kyleena IUD inserted about 4 months ago. I heard very mixed experiences on whether or not insertion hurt - and for me it was extremely painful. I had pretty bad cramping and had to avoid exercise for about 3-4 days after insertion, which wasn't too bad. For the past 2 months I have been experiencing the worst cramps EVER that come at very random times. I have never given birth before, but I often think that these cramps must be what contractions feel like. I've had ultrasounds and I have been told that the IUD has not shifted or anything, so the cause of the cramps is unknown. I'm hoping they go away because I don't know how long I can take it!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017