User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1636 reviews 16 medications

8.5
Birth Control 2702 reviews 306 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 343 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 4681 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Kyleena about 3 weeks now and have bled the whole time. I'm entering week 4 of being on my period with severe cramps. Called my OBGYN today and it can be expected for up to 6 months. I have a follow up appointment here in two weeks. Hopefully the bleeding and cramps subside. Until then, I'm not very satisfied with Kyleena. I haven't gone a day without hurting. Hope it gets better!"

M212 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Kyleena IUD 3 days ago. The insertion was painful but nothing you couldn't handle. It's quick between 2-3 minutes followed by moderate cramping for a few hours. I recommend taking ibuprofen or something of that nature an hour before. I haven't had any bleeding with it and I am do far very pleased!"

Jessiejay6272 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex May 4, 2017, used a condom but it broke. 12 hours later (the next morning May 5) I took Plan B. I expected my period to come on time since I took the pill within the specified window. I scheduled a Dr's appointment to be put on birth control but instead on May 15, 2017, I got a positive pregnancy test back. Plan B was not effective at all for me. I checked the ovulation calendar and apparently I was ovulating at the time I had sex. It's safe to say there's a slight to no chance of this pill working, if taken within two weeks of your next period. I don't plan to use this contraception method ever in the future. I'm currently on BC, FINALLY, but celibacy is safer these days."

MedSchool (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My new OBGYN surgeon suggested this as a last ditch effort before I get a hysterectomy for non stop bleeding for the last two years (not from fibroids, uterus with almost no lining). This is EXTREMELY PAINFUL! If you've ever had a biopsy in your uterus, just imagine having biopsy's all night long after you get this inserted. I was NOT prepared for this and maybe it's just my body. But I can tell you that half my body is tattooed and have a very HIGH pain tolerance. Tattooing is like a day at the spa compared to the pain of this IUD. I was so close to going to the ER last night. It's day no# 2 and I'm still in a lot of constant pain and had to call into work sick. Please head my warning before getting this foreign object inserted!"

Jovita79 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my Kyleena inserted yesterday & I took 1000 mg of Tylenol an hour before. My Dr wanted to insert it during my menstrual cycle to make it easier, which was fine with me. The pain was about 8/10 but only lasted for about 5 minutes total, including insertion and afterwards. The biggest thing was that I got really dizzy and had nausea. In high school, pre birth control, I had periods where the cramping was so bad I'd pass out, so it just felt like one of my old period cramps, honestly. I'm cramping a little this morning, but nothing too bad. My flow has even decreased. So far I'm very pleased!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got liletta in July 2016, with two shots of toradol I still had a horrible experience with the insertion. I have never felt anything so painful. I constantly have mild cramping, pain with sex, and made me break out like crazy. The only nice things I have gotten from this is obviously no pregnancy and I've had one period since July that lasted 3 days. I'm getting this taken out on Thursday due to the painful cramping everyday."

Courtnicole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The last day of my period was on the 2nd and had unprotected sex( wasn't thinking) on the 4th of June, took plan b the next day after 17 hours. One week later my nipples and breast started hurting like crazy and I spotting a little , started to feel nauseous ( didn't need a pad ) got scared about my period and did some research I started drinking parsley tea on the of 25 of June and was expecting my period on the 30th of June. Drink the parsley tea three times a day and on the 27 I got my period. Parsley tea also helped a little with the cramps. But please don't drink parley tea If you are pregnant cause it can lead to a miscarriage. That's my experience. Please feel free to ask any question. I know the stress"

Alwayshappy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Had mine put in June 15, 2017 the insertion was a bit painful I had it put in two days before my period which made my period off 17 days so I was scared I was pregnant, finally get my period three days ago cramping is kind of bad but I had the copper IUD before this one so I'm used to it but my periods are much lighter then with the copper IUDI mean I only need a liner which is nice so this is my first. After having it inserted I will update to let you know how long my period last."

Denver4385 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hey all. I began this birth control around November. Insertion was awful; I threw up and passed out. It depends on the person though! I'm not a huge fan of this birth control. It made intercourse painful in certain positions. It did increase my sex drive a lot though. My skin is now a disaster, I'm pretty sad about that. I'm excessively tired all the time. I've gained 30 pounds out of the blue. I dunno guys, this birth control just wasn't for me and I'm switching back to the pill."

karlyray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 22, have no children, and had my Mirena inserted about 3 months ago. I was first on Skyla for 3 years, then the second time around chose Mirena as it lasts longer and because of the current political climate. The insertion was very easy for me, however that may have been because I already had an IUD in the past. The insertion of my first IUD was terrible, VERY painful, but the benefits outweighed the few minutes of pain. Since having the Mirena IUD I've only had 1 period that lasted 1-2 days. I've never once had the slightest concern about being pregnant, and have experienced no side effects besides a few days of spotting after the insertion. Highly highly recommend."

Bec10_1 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception: "My boyfriend and I had sex on May 26, 2017. I had finished the last day of my period just two days earlier of a whopping thirty-five day cycle. Like stupid people, we did not use any for of protection. Anyways, he got me the pill just about five hours later. I took it and began the incredibly stressful journey. The first day after taking it, nothing happened. Around the third and fourth day: painful cramps. And then the fifth day I got an induced period with VERY heavy flow. But I was still stressing out because of all the things I had looked on the internet. But three weeks later here I am starting the first day of my period."

A pessimist now optimist (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my IUD put in over 3 months ago. About 36 hours after, I went in the sun and immediately broke out in hives! Mostly on my face and they were itchy as hell. I called my gyno and she assured me it was IMPOSSIBLE that the IUD caused the hives. I took Benadryl and they mostly went down. I still get hives every time I'm exposed to sun/heat. About a month in I started having more & more trouble having a BM which wasn't the case before the IUD. I drink plenty of water and eat fibrous foods regularly. I'm CONSTANTLY irritated and emotional, I get acne more than ever, and the constant spotting is becoming annoying. I feel gross, itchy, tired, and bloated every single day and truly don't even feel like myself. I'm getting this thing out Thursday"

Lexi31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have been bleeding non stop before Mirena and after. I am so frustrated . I keep worrying and looking things up thinking I might have a tumor or some other deadly illness! My Dr.keeps saying to wait. I am beginning to think these doctors get a kick back on these devices ! I have started clotting now with it. My body has betrayed me. If this works for any one for bleeding I have yet to read one review saying so. Use caution when making the choice. It's like the drug company knows we are desperate for a cure to the excessive bleeding and will try any thing to get it to stop....some one is making a killing on these lame devices !!!!"

Lorrieb4nafter June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got skyla inserted on Friday , the insertion was very painful for me. I am 21, 5'7 , 134lbs and have never had any children. The pain during the actual insertion was nothing compared to what I experienced afterwards. As a woman who has never had any children , you do not really know where your uterus is until it has been messed with. It's literally like the core of a woman's body. I got the insertion on my menstrual cycle and I still felt extremely uncomfortable. And the cramps got worse and worse as the day went by . I was doubled over at some point and began to sweat , and from there I passed out twice . Since then I've had no trouble just mild cramps. I'm eager to see if skyla will work for me ."

Gold4thegoddess (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex and my partner finished inside of me on 6/6/17 and it was around the time of ovulation. I took aftera within about 24 hours afterwards. On 6/19/17 I started bleeding like a period and thought it was very strange that my period came about a week early. The bleeding was light and I was experiencing some cramping. On 6/25/17 I took a pregnancy test and it came back positive. This was my first experience with taking a morning after pill and getting pregnant. I have taken plan b, and next choice in the past they both worked but Aftera effectiveness varies with each individual and didn't work for me."

Junewasaroughmonth June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 24 years old with 2 children. I wasn't 100% sold on getting a tubal being so young, but I'm sure I want one now. Mirena was NOT a good idea. I've gained 20 pounds in 6 months, and have acne so bad you'd think I never washed my face/neck. I have ZERO sex drive and I'm constantly tired. Not to mention a raging women. Not good for having a 6 month old and a toddler... I have an appointment to schedule a tubal, and I cannot wait to get this toxic hormone pumping piece of plastic out of my body. Let's hope I return to my normal self...."

Geen (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just left my Ob-Gyn and had Liletta inserted. I can't say much for side effects yet (obviously) but insertion wasn't not nearly as painful as anticipated. Maybe a 3 out of 10. Mind you, I have had 2 children. The pain after the procedure is worse most definitely. About a 5 out of 10."

TrishEvelynn (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Number one, don't listen to the negativity the smaller groups of bad experiences have. Skyla was never said to be for everyone. Which is why I don't understand women that tell you NOT to get it. Your best option is to try it. And to people who have certain health conditions, unless a woman has the same thing as you, don't listen either. Anyway, I have a 7 yr old, and I got skyla in January and it's now June. I have had bad acne and cramps and heavy bleeding since I was 11, and Skyla reduced my periods and cramps. It did not do much with my acne, but that's fine... Also, Skyla is uncomfortable to insert, (not gonna lie) but I literally was with my OB for 10 minutes and left. It's been okay since. Just Try it for yourself"

Cristineeeee June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I can't speak for long term however I just had the Kyleena inserted today. I took 600mg of tylenol before my appointment which helped a lot. The insertion didn't hurt as much as these reviews led me to believe. It was just uncomfortable and a little crampy but not bad at all. I've had it placed for about an hour and I just have minor cramping, I will update after I've had it some time longer. I would recommend this birth control method."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Before Skyla I was on the pill for 6 years and my gyno recommended to switch over to the Skyla so I took her advice. The insertion process was horrible. My pain tolerance is pretty high so I wasn't scared going in, but half way through the process I almost made her stop and afterward I almost passed out. I had to lay back down for about 20 minutes. I had cramps for the next few days and would take ibuprofen to help with the pain. I've been on it for 7 months now and I am getting it removed at the end of the week. Before the Skyla I would never get cramps during my period and now they are awful. Also, my acne is horrible..to the point of me almost crying and always wearing tons of makeup. I'm excited to get it out, but afraid of the pain."

Kelsea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had skyla inserted last year. I've never had a child before, so the insertion process was uncomfortable for me. I took pain medication before hand and was given medication by my doctor to insert into my vagina prior to soften my cervix. I had mild cramping over the next month, and decent amount of bleeding. After a month of having the IUD, I started to develop severe joint pain and dry, red eye. I followed up with my gyno, and she had me go to a primary care doctor for my symptoms. I had blood work done for a lot of different factors, and everything came back negative. My PCP recommend that I have it removed, I am very glad that I did my joint pain went away within 2 weeks of the IUD being removed. My doctor thinks I had an allergy"

KLede2121 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "A really good friend of mine and I hooked up one morning and accidentally finished without pulling out. I took Plan b about 45 minutes later. That was May 3 and I am now 7 weeks pregnant... Plan b does NOT work so don't waste your money! Stick to the old reliable condom "

Amber Leah June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Skyla IUD put in 3 weeks ago. I have continued to take my birth control pills (as directed from doctor) to help decrease cramps and bleeding. I haven't bled much at all. Cramps have almost about killed me. I get sharp pain cramps to where I can't breathe or it will make it hurt more. This pain is almost unbearable. People who are interested, just know it all matters on how your body is and how much pain tolerance you have. I am scared of childbirth after this small procedure. I think Skyla is great and I hope it is worth this pain. Just be prepared for good or bad. My best friend got one and she is better than she has ever been. No cramps. No blood. So it just matters on your body."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the IUD inserted on April 19th, and about a week later I started experiencing a chronic headache. It literally lasted 24/7. I was also passing large amounts of tissue, and experienced heavy cramping until I decided to get the IUD removed at the end of May. I had massive bleeding for a week afterwards, but my headaches have not improved. I've seen multiple doctors for this, and they think it was caused from the IUD. I hope to find relief soon because living with this kind of pain is really depressing."

esd500 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am on my 3rd day with Kyleena and have nothing but positive feedback so far. Most people are worried about the insertion, which I was TERRIFIED for, but now I am laughing as I read through these comments because truly the only part that makes it scary, and admittedly made me so nervous before, is reading other peoples "dramatically painful" stories. Yes it hurt, but so does stubbing your toe or getting a paper cut, and sincerely, the worst of the pain (the IUD going into your cervix) didn't last as long as either one of those scenarios. It is in for 5 years, and the worst of the insertion is truly so quick that I didn't even have time to process what I had just felt. It is so worth it. DO IT if you want it, don't let people scare you."

Macy J. June 25, 2017