User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Mirena, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla, Kyleena, Liletta, Take Action, New Day, Aftera, Preventeza, EContra One-Step, EContra EZ, Her Style, Option 2, My Way, Athentia Next, Morning After, AfterPill, My Choice, Next Choice One Dose, React, Fallback Solo, Next Choice, Opcicon One-Step …show all brand names

Emergency Contraception

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.2

Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 7.2 7,126 reviews

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "People really over hype things in the reviews which made my anxiety go thru the roof. My Dr. was great and I didn’t know the Mirena was in and there was no cramping thus far but the worst part and most painful part is pulling the cervix down - I hated that but everything was great honestly."

Whit (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This drug is awful... side effects began 2 days after insertion. Before Kyleena I was only using condoms, so it was not a transition off of the pill. A week prior I had clear, even skin. After Kyleena my skin became so red and irritated that clothing brushing against my chest was painful. This was compounded with uncontrollable anger and irritation. I would fly off the handle for no reason and then burst into tears. I felt like I was going crazy. The anxiety kept me up every night. The headaches couldn't be stopped, even doubling up on Advil. I was sweating, hot and oily and I am normally a cold person with dry skin. My blood pressure was raised from normal. My sex drive completely dropped off and having sex became mentally impossible. I went to have it removed twice and my doctor talked me out of it. Finally, after a month of torture a walk-in clinic agreed to remove it for me. It's only been a few days, but the headaches have already stopped and my mood is returning to normal. Buyer beware."

Dano June 12, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got Mirena for abnormal bleeding due to a large fibroid. While it helped with the amount of bleeding, which had in the past made me severely anemic, I have had some awful side effects: - migraines - one every week or two - bacterial vaginosis-constant discharge requiring pads when not on period - still have lengthy period of 2+ weeks - my fibroid 5cm grew larger and is located below where Mirena is, so I was told if/when I want Mirena removed, it will require surgery because dr cannot get to the strings I got it 3 months ago and am now considering surgery to get it removed. It has caused a lot of problems and these complications were a high price to pay for helping the bleeding issue. My situation is probably a rare case, but if you have a large fibroid be aware this can happen...."

skb (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Please keep in mind everybody’s body is different so my experience won’t be the same as everyone else’s. I chose to go on birth after enlisting in the Navy. While I’m happy Liletta is an effective method, the side effects are a bit overwhelming. Initial insertion was one thing; cramping for a day or two then continue along, however, I didn’t stop spotting until 4 months after the fact. I frequently suffer from vaginal dryness and infections, experience pain every time I have sex, and have had major depressive episodes. I suffered from PTSD and depression beforehand however, this significantly magnified the effects. Now, after almost two years, I’d like to try another form of birth control. It’s an amazing “get it and forget it” method which I truly appreciate the convenience of but, I just don’t think my body is reacting well to it. Still recommend for anyone without a history of depression or susceptibility to vaginal infections."

Lexi June 12, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my son in 2015 and got my Mirena 1 month after, I’m 4 years in and yes I loved it til I starting to realize things, I should have picked up on a long time ago. The process was smooth and easy for me to say but I’ve noticed 1. I’m consistently overwhelmed about everything. 2. Easy frustrated or angry 3. Really bad sweet addiction 4. Consistently wanting to eat like binge eating 5. Possible depression 6. Up and down in weight but I work out six days a week so i didn’t think it effected me just thought it was me.. I started to notice more change When I started prepping a women’s bikini contest and I realize things were gettin worse. I was in a dark place and I couldn’t snap out of it. After talking with a gym partner I thought that maybe it was just me and I realized a lot of what I’ve been going thru she had similar effect! once she was off it took her a few months to feel normal but I can say one minute I'm normal and then I’m not."

IG: unotbae June 12, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got Kyleena this morning and the experience was just okay. I was nervous going into it and I took 800mg of Advil to help with the pain (doctor recommended). The insertion is very quick but my uterus did move so the doctor had to clamp it which was the worst part. The insertion itself did not hurt bad just felt like a few waves of bad period cramps. I still have a lot of cramping and bloating right now but they do feel like little more severe period cramps. Overall I hope it works out."

Auna (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2019

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So I figured I’d share my experience as a first time user. So I had an oops about 6 days after my period had ended so about 30 minutes after the incident I took a Plan B. I didn’t get any of the nauseousness or tiredness I felt totally fine. About 5 days after taking the pill I had spotting that started pinkish into a full heavy bleeding almost like a period for about 3-4 days. I assume this was breakthrough bleeding from the pill which was a common side effect. May 24th was supposed to be my period but that came and went. Finally after weeks of stress yesterday which would be the 10th of June very heavy and aches period began. For all those who take it and are nervous about it it seems that late periods and early periods are a common side-effect. I kept reading this forum to make myself feel better about having such a late period. Don’t worry your period will come if the pill was used correctly! :)"

coolblue June 12, 2019

Take Action (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Took Take Action May 14th 26 hours after unprotected sex, just missed my period. Naturally I took a pregnancy test which was positive, so then I took 3 more... all positive... my sore breast, bloating and tiredness are obviously a sign of what the pill didn’t protect against. "

Don’t Trust Take Action!! June 11, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve had the Mirena for almost 6 years. Last Aug was the 5 year mark and they told me it “should” continue to work up to 7 years. The insertion was the worst pain I’ve ever felt. I lost a lot of blood, 10/10 pain, and I immediately felt dizzy/nauseous. I had to stay in the doctors office for an hour until I felt better. I had cramping for a day or two. Over the next 6 months, I spotted constantly (annoying!). But I also lost some stubborn weight, and I felt more energetic. Fast forward to a 1 yr later and I was the leanest and happiest I’ve ever been. I know this contradicts other people’s experiences, but my body adjusted after a few months. I did also get one ruptured cyst at year 2 (not nearly as painful). I am now thinking about having it removed as I have a feeling that it is wearing off (PMS returning - cramping, breast tenderness, mood swings, weight gain)."

Monique June 11, 2019

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This Skyla IUD changed my life. I’m 28 and had been on oral contraceptives since I was 19. The past few years my anxiety has been terrible and I’ve been struggling to enjoy sex even in loving/healthy relationships. This year I trended my anxiety attacks and they synced up with my cycle! I did more research and found out that TONS of oral contraceptives have terrible side effects on mental health. I decided to try Skyla due to its lower hormone levels and the fact that it’s localized hormone And with complete sincerity, this IUD has changed everything. I rarely suffer from bad anxiety anymore and it’s been 1 month. I’ve also noticed a big change in my sex life! I feel like I actually have my libido back! The initial implantation is uncomfortable and I had bad cramping the 1st day but ibuprofen helped. And now I rarely cramp at all! Definitely worth a try for anyone who hasn’t felt like themselves on oral contraceptives. I’m so glad I switched!"

Happy customer! June 11, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got the Kyleena put in today so I'm not sure what my long term experience will be but I did want to share my insertion experience. I just had a baby so I did not have to be dilated and I normally have extremely crampy periods. That being said it was a very quick process and only felt like a couple cramps going in. It was nothing like my period cramps or having a baby. So if you're a person like me the process was piece of cake."

Justhadababy (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my Kyleena inserted this morning and let me tell you: DO NOT READ THE HORROR STORIES. You will be fine! Relax, breathe, and don't let other people's dramatics get in the way from you receiving an excellent form of birth control. I worked myself up all week before the insertion and it was nothing more than a pap smear. Mind you: I took 800mg of ibuprofen 30 minutes prior (what my OBGYN office recommended) so that may have helped significantly. I will definitely be posting a follow up review in 3 months or so listing any side effects but for now I'm so happy I went through with it."

Nicole (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the Kyleena IUD inserted June 2018. It’s been about a year and my periods are still all over the place and I get two periods a month. When I got it inserted, it was painful but not terrible. I bled for 2-3 months straight after that (light). I started to experience hair loss in August and my hair is not the same since but I’m using different hair products to grow my hair now. I have increased anxiety, more mood swings, and oiler skin from Kyleena. I also experienced such a terrible smell from down there a few weeks after and I took medicine prescribed by the Dr and it went away. I do notice I get BV more but I insert boric acid to balance my PH when my vagina feels different."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Kyleena inserted a few weeks ago. Pain wasn’t unbearable but did hurt. Felt like major period cramps. Only about 4 of the cramps. It was QUICK. Also works for 5 years so that’s great."

M765 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for : "After having a D&C and polyp removal, I started hemorrhaging 4 days after the procedure. Gushing blood completely soaking pad after pad. My next period did the same thing!!! Three months later, I under went another D&C and insertion of the Kyleena IUD to help with thinning out my thick uterine lining and decrease the heaviness of my periods. Insertion was easy because I was under general anesthesia and of course didn’t feel any pain. First four days still pain free, no cramps just light spotting. Then two weeks later horrible cramps!!! I think my body finally recognized a foreign object was in there. Light spotting everyday! The week before period experienced breast pain, boobs were so big... I had to go buy a bigger bra! Retaining water 5 lbs increase in weight, period finally starts breast pain decreases, bra is now too big, light to medium flow, period hasn’t ceased yet day 7th."

Shelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It technically did what it was supposed to do. I didn't become pregnant. Insertion process was crampy but not awful. After getting it inserted I had a period for the first six months and then I stopped getting a period entirely. I also started to grow hair on my chin and sex became painful. It made it really hard for me to get wet. So yeah, didn't get pregnant, but I really wish I had never gotten it in the first place."

Not pregnant thank you (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "DO NOT get this birth control. I got the IUD inserted about a year and a half ago and about 3 months into getting it I started getting a little bit of acne here and there. About 8 months into it I started having full fledged breakouts which soon turned into hormonal cystic acne. I thought it was due to stress at first but eventually realized it was because of my IUD. I got it taken out and am now on the pill and my skin has improved a little - still a long way to to. I had never had bad skin before - always perfect skin with no breakouts."

Grace June 9, 2019

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Well with me I had unprotected sex on (5/17/19) like 3 days after my period was over. I took the pill (5/20/19). A week later on (5/28/19) I started bleeding lightly and it’s been going on since then. On (6/8/19) there was no bleeding but when I checked it it was kind pink I checked again an hour later and I was bleeding again. I got the courage to take a pregnancy tests (used the equate digital one) and they all came back negative so I mean I’m not sure at this point if it’s normal or not"

Nebby22 June 9, 2019

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I received the Mirena on February 11, 2019 and it have been causing me issues since I received it. Mirena is extremely painful going in and cause bleeding with terrible cramping. I have been experiencing terrible migraines, nausea, abdominal cramping, sore breast, and vomiting. However I am scheduled to get it removed in a week and I am excited."

Queen Zola (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Mirena IUD inserted after giving birth to my son in 2012. I had it for 5 years and it cause a little discomfort (I was cramping with it a lot) but it was otherwise pleasant. I took it out because they cramps increased after sex. I needed to get back on something because my periods were painful and long. I went with Kyleena this time around and it is THE WORST THING EVER. Facial hair! Cramp! Spotting! Severe constipation! Severe acne! Gas! Bloating! WEIGHT GAIN!!!! Breast soreness! My vagina was itching ! It is terribleeeeeee! My doctor suggest about 6 months ago I give it a full year to see if my body will adjust and it hasn't. KYLEENA MUST GO!"

Daisy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2019

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have the Liletta for one year now. Anyone who reviews an IUD sooner than 6 months hasn't yet had the full experience of an IUD. Yes, it wasn't pleasant getting it inserted, but childbirth is much worse. I bled for 6 weeks straight after insertion. During the first several weeks I would a random painful cramp that would last around 10 minutes. It was semi regular after that. At 6 months it was so light it was hard to say it was a period and not moderate spotting as only a liner was needed. This month is one year. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am now 39 and done with children, done with pills, and done with condoms."

me (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2019

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla today at my local planned parenthood. I was skeptical at first, but the insertion was not as bad as I thought it was...It feels more like a strong period cramp, like the ones you get when you first started your period at 10-12. The severe cramps subsided shortly after, but 8 hours post insertion I only feel very mild cramps which is normal. So far I highly recommend Skyla."

Jaejae (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Skyla for 2.5 years prior to Kyleena but figured 5 years would be better than 3 when it came time to switch. I had constant infections for the 6 months I had Kyleena that would come and go, amongst a ton of other unpleasant side effects. It made my acne really good though with Spironolactone. I have a ton of friends with Kyleena and they love it and haven’t had problems. The only way for you to find out whether not your body will take to it is to try it. If it doesn’t work, take it out and try something else. I really wanted to love it but getting it taken out seemed like the only logical option for me. Ps the insertion and removal doesn’t hurt at all, just take an extra Advil and you’ll be ok (dr said this was fine), though be ready for a few hours of cramps the next day."

Sara (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2019

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my IUD inserted yesterday. The process was quick. I'm not going to lie, it hurt, but it was not unbearable. Reading reviews makes it seem like it was the worst pain of your life—it felt like a few waves of intense period cramps, but for someone who got unbearable period cramps before birth control, it was not the worst pain. I had a lot of cramping after but when I woke up this morning it seems like it has passed."

Abby (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My boyfriend & I had unprotected sex on the morning of May 18th (4 days after my period ended). He did not finish inside of me but after reading stuff about pre-cum I began to freak myself out. I am not on any type of birth control and was getting close to my predicted day of ovulation so I went to the pharmacy and took the pill 13 hours after. 5 days after taking it, I began to get horrible cramps and bled for 3 days. The bleeding was light and not like a normal period. I also experienced INTENSE mood swings and intrusive thoughts. I was so sad that not even my boyfriend or best friend could cheer me up.I also had the ovulation type discharge for about 2 weeks.The side effects of this pill often mimic pregnancy symptoms so try not to read too much on the internet. While it has been as LONG and anxiety filled month, I woke up today to see that my period arrived pretty much on schedule (1 day late) and I have never been happier! Your period will come even if the pill throws you off a bit :)"

bigscare June 8, 2019