User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Kyleena, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1580 reviews 16 medications

8.6
Birth Control 2562 reviews 299 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 336 reviews 169 medications

5.5
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 4478 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla inserted almost a month ago. My cramps and lower back pain were bad for a few days, and 1600 mg ibuprofen daily didn't help much. (My periods are usually heavy and painful; I had vaginal delivery without anesthesia. The pain from the Skyla could be compared to my worst period cramping.) By the end of the first week they became tolerable, but I was still spotting. There were 2 or 3 days when I didn't spot, then I started having bad cramps again + spotting, and a long and painful period followed that was a little lighter than usual. Well, I'm still spotting/bleeding and having cramps and obviously not pregnant because I have no mood when I'm in constant pain. I'm willing to give this method another 2 months..."

Nina25 May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the liletta March 14, 2017 after I gave birth to my first child on January 21. Procedure was very quick like 5 minutes but the pain I have experience since doesn't seem to be worth it. I have spotted every single day since I got it which I hate because I don't like sleeping wearing panties sometimes but have to wear a pad 24/7 now and bad uterine cramps. My uterus sits to the back so I also get bad back pains as well. Every time I go to ER they do an ultrasound and say everything looks fine. The strings are very long out my cervix and I've had discomfort during sexual intercourse almost every single time. Seems to be effective for preventing pregnancy so far. Just a lot of complications to adjust your body to."

KayaniBugMama May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had the mirena inserted on 5/1/17, before been suggested by my doctor I was on a lupron injection, which was throwing my body into menopause , being I'm only 38. My doctor highly suggested Mirena . It wasn't a bad experience having it placed. I spotted at insertion, no cramps. However the next day and every day since I've had the worst cramps, I started spotting a week after insertion and haven't stopped, I've also noticed I'm starting to get acne . I see my doctor in three weeks, I'm seriously considering getting it removed. I got it to keep from having the surgery of having the lining of my uterus abolished. Really considering the lupron injection again, no pain or bleeding with it. I don't want the surgery , due to I'm getting married"

Mek38NC May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had been having issues with the pill, forgetting to take it and decided to switch to an IUD. I had it put in March 25th 2017. Insertion was excruciating. It felt like someone was stabbing me from inside. It was very quick and I felt faint and weak the rest of the day. Motrin and ibuprofen worked to ease discomfort after. I went in the middle of my period (usually 5 days) and within a day of Insertion my period turned into 2 weeks of spotting. It's now been about 2 months of adjusting. Sex is fine just need to be careful not to cause uterine spasms. I know I will get my period because there is about 1 day of irrational crankiness, followed by another day of cramps, which are sharper than ever before. Hoping this will level out soon...."

Yayu22 May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got liletta inserted in August 2016 a lot of discomfort at first than I bled for 3 weeks afterwards thinking about getting it removed due to periods 2 to 3 times a month or when having intercourse I start bleeding my periods are more crampy and make me sick to my stomach plus been having a bloody discharge everyday. I got it checked and the Dr said it was from the liletta . Just checking out other options before hand"

Mysticdeathrose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Plan b works!!!! I had an unplanned encounter with a boy who I was not with and have no real relationship with. We ended up having sex twice in one night unprotected. I wasn't on any birth control. I started to panic and so went and got plan b approx 14 hrs after the incident. I had to wait 2 whole weeks until I got my period!!! Worst wait of my life as I basically convinced myself I was pregnant. I had next to no side effects, other than maybe slight abdominal cramps, which freaked me out more as I believed because I didn't have any side effects, plan b didn't work. But have faith! This is very effective and this is my second time taking it and it has never failed. Be patient and don't worry x"

Bbabe May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Kyleena inserted about 10 hours ago. I took 800mg about an hour before, and by doctor numbed me with lidocaine. I was told (the day of) that I should have been on my period and should have abstained from intercourse for a week but of course I didn't because I wasn't told that prior to insertion day. The insertion took about 10 minutes. It felt like a bad cramp for about 2 minutes about 5/10, but not unbearable. I felt weak afterwards and had to lay there for about 2 minutes but after that I was fine. I started cramping about 3 hours after insertion, like bad cramps but nothing worst than normal period cramping. I'm not bleeding at all. I keep getting cramps every 3 hours but I've just continued to take ibuprofen."

Sam1234523 May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I have taken plan b 3x this year so far, Feb-April, 1 each month (I know I'm stupid for not using protection) BUT it has worked every time!! I don't recommend taking it more than 2x in such a close timing as in doses because it DOES mess up your cycle. I took plan b in April and I have yet to have a period but I am not pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Emergency Contraception: "I had sex with my boyfriend on 2 & 3 May with pull out methods, but my boyfriend said he didn't cum inside of me, then 3 May at 4 pm ( 21 hours later) iItook postinor 2. The next day on 4th my boyfriend had ejaculate right inside of me (fertile period) ok I know that was stupid, so I took postinor 2 again on 5 May (12 hours later), the day after took postinor I felt tired, sleepy, and exhausted. A week later I got cramps, sore breast, and nausea. Same like pregnancy symptoms!!! Two weeks waiting was so anxious and stressful, My due date period was 15 May. I took pregnancy test on 15 and 17 May, the result was negative. And now 18 May I got my period!!! (3 days late) Relax guys, I've taken this pill twice in February and this months. And it worked!! But def time to get some other contraception sorted!"

Ifeelyouguys (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex with my boyfriend days before my period was predicted to start. To make a long story short, the condom we were using broke without is noticing and he came inside of me. I was super concerned because I am not on birth control. 30 minutes later I took Aftera and went on about my night. I didn't end up getting pregnant. The pill just made my period come 4 days late."

WorriedCollegeStudent May 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have a chronic pain condition and found the insertion of Mirena in 2011 to be traumatic. The pain was like transitional labor going in and I passed out, probably a vagal response. Had to have it removed after three days of hell. However I have a new doctor that I trust and needed something ASAP as I can't get pregnant right now. It was inserted on the 2nd day of my period and was nearly painless. I've had it now for 6 days, my period ended quickly and it has increased my libido I feel empowered that I don't have to worry about another surprise pregnancy. If this devise was available when I was younger I wouldn't have 7 children. If it causes lighter periods I'm going to urge my 20 year old to get one as she has horrid periods."

Middle aged mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I've had the skyla 5 weeks now and I'm still not positive on how I feel about it. I got mine put in at my 6 week checkup after having my son. for me insertion was a beeeze, I literally basically felt nothing, no cramping whatsoever and have yet to cramp. Although my problem is, after I got mine put in (mind you I just bled for 3 weeks cause I just had a kid) I bled for another 3 freaking weeks, then I spotted for about a week finally stopped and now I'm spotting again. Not only that, but I feel so hungry all the time, I know breast feeding makes you pretty hungry but I feel like I can eat double what I usually eat now that I'm on skyla. They say weight gain isn't a side effect but I honestly feel like I've gained weight or I'm bloated"

Stephens mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the Skyla IUD for about two weeks. The insertion process was a painful but it was quick. So far I love the skyla I have not had any problems with them and I hope I don't. My period came on and lasted for a week and it was heavy which they said it was normal in the first 3-6 months the only thing that I hate is the cramps that comes with them for me it is really painful but I took a 800mg ibruprofen and a heating pad and it goes away. But every person has a different experience I love it so far and if you decide to get one don't be scared if you have a great OBGYN then it will be fine and make sure you ask a lot of questions that you may be concerned about."

R.G May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Iv'e had Skyla for 2 years. I got it put in after the pill failed and my second baby was born. Insertion was a little painful but tolerable. I cramped and spotted after which is normal. My periods were irregular at first but my body adjusted and became regular periods. I get extra sensitive I guess during obvulation and periods as to the cramping and head and backaches. Sensitive breasts. After a year when it was nice and convenient as my periods got lighter. My cervical fluid has thickened for sure and after 2 years of insertion I've noticed shorter lighter periods. But my main side effects are vaginal dryness, more headaches and more painful breast and cramps. But no pregnancies for 2 years so it works!"

Brix (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had liletta inserted May 2016, I'm 43 years old. Insertion was not too bad, a bit painful when they put the clamps on your uterus to hold it open and I guess my opening is a bit small since I have never given birth naturally (c section) so the doc had to jiggle it to get it in. Anyway here we are 12 months later and I have bled almost every day since. I've put on 10lb and I am eating and exercising as I have done for a long period of time. I am reluctant to remove it because the thought of getting it out is not appealing and my insurance didn't cover it so I paid around $900 to get it put in and don't want to waste that money."

Treyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am writing this review for the sake of all women who are iffy on this product. I was apprehensive to skyla ONLY because of what I read online. Despite my doctor assuring me this was the best option for me, I still was not 100% on skyla. I am one month post-insertion and I am so happy I decided to go with Skyla. I am 19 years old, and I have struggled with birth control since it was present in my life. I cannot be on the combined pill due to the migraines with aura (visual changes) I get and I struggle with acne so the POP pill is not for me. I decided to go with skyla and I'm very pleased. Insertion (for me) was a bad cramp that lasted no more than 5 seconds. Spotting/cramps continued for about a month after but now I'm good."

del2727 May 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The condom broke and by time we both noticed it was already too late . Roughly 10 hours after the incident I took plan b one step. I didn't really experience any side affects until the next morning I was cramping and had a bit of nausea . The incident happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago I took about 6 pregnancy test . They all came back negative . A part of me says the pill worked but another part still thinks it didn't . I sorta would recommended plan b . And just so y'all know I am overweight . So I believe weight has nothing to do with the effectiveness"

Desdes0318 May 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "21 years old and no kids. Approx 120 lbs. I got kyleena inserted about 12 days ago. I was originally taking the depo shot but I wanted something more long term. I've had mild to severe cramps for my periods my whole life. During the insertion I experienced what felt like 2 of the worst period cramps I could ever have (I screamed). Once it was over I was fine, but I did have severe cramping for hours after until the medicine they gave me finally kicked in. I was taking ibuprofen for about a week because I was still experiencing cramping. My period started going away and was very light. My doctor prescribed me estradiol 1 mg to help with adjusting to the IUD. I've been taking them for about a week. Starting yesterday my period became very heavy."

Anon 77 May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for : "I've had the kyleena now for 5 weeks, I've had one regular cycle that was pretty normal. It was hard to tell at first if that was my cycle or the normal spotting that happens with the kyleena... .... I kinda figured it out once the flow picked up an became more then the spotting. Over all I feel good, and the procedure was not that bad.. I just wish I knew when the spotting will stop!"

Tanlady241 May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Kyleena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hi all, I had Kyleena inserted at the end of March 2017, about a week before my period was due. The process was not that painful, but definitely uncomfortable. I took the day off of work, before a weekend, so I would have a few days to recover. I had some bad cramps following the insertion for a few days and some light spotting. About two weeks later I was having terrible cramps and my period started. The main problem is, it hasn't stopped since. I have been bleeding for about 5 weeks, with intermittent uncomfortable cramps. I also have noticed changes in my digestive patterns, including increase b.m. frequency and urgency. I have a follow up with my doctor tomorrow. I will at least give it three months."

KyleenaReviewer May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was very scared at first after reading so many bad reviews but decided to go through with it as I figured everybody is different. The procedure was very quick, I was on my period when I had it done, I'm not going to lie, it hurt but it passed pretty fast. My period stopped within a day, however I continue to have discharge with a tint of blood. I didn't experience bad cramps or anything like other users have described. For me, it was worth taking the chance, I'm not planning on having more kids and I have endometriosis and am hopeful that this will help with that. Do your research, we all react different to medication, check with your Dr. and make sure this is the best option for you. I will leave another review in a few months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "When I decided to get the Liletta it was because I didn't want to have to constantly take a pill every day, then my mother would find out. Also I wanted to finish school without pregnancy scares. My cramps are usually very heavy, and painful. So when they put the Liletta in, the cramps were mild and nothing compared to my regular ones. Of course for other females it might be a tremendous amount of pain for them, or just mild. It was a little uncomfortable but after the pain was done, I sat up and started to already bleed. I felt completely fine, and only had light cramping which i barely felt. I will say that I have bled everyday since the procedure. It has been about 6 days since then. I don't know how long I will spot."

Mayflowersss May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex with my boyfriend and he let it all out in me and I took this pill 25 hours later and I told myself that I will try a pregnancy test the following week but thank God my period came a week after I took the pill. It works, trust me. Just be patient and wait."

Jones1234567890 May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Ok, look. If anybody is a pessimistic, anxious out of his mind stressed out person. It's me. I'm the guy in the situation, me and my girlfriend were having unprotected sex and using the pull out method (DUMB) and I wasn't sure if I pulled out in time, anyways we were already in a car so I just hopped in the front and drove to a Walgreens and got plan b. It was within 30 minutes or so, and she took and and that same day she had the most demonic mood swings you could ever imagine. Every little thing would put me on edge, cause funny enough plan b symptoms are identical to pregnancy symptoms, so it's pretty nerve wrecking for obvious reasons. Anyways she got the short period then the normal one, took test and all negative. Just relax and have faith"

Guy in the clear (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the IUD put in March 24, 2017. I was on the Depo for almost 7 years. I just decided I needed something new. But the insertion hurt. It was the worse pain ever. I cramped real bad, felt so weak as if I was about to pass out. I recommend not going to work after. I had cramps for weeks straight. But no bleeding. Now I can say I have a cramping spell once a day, it's rather annoying. Lately I have been having a lot of brown spotting/gushing like it's blood but it's very faint and brown. It hasn't been as bad as when I first got it. I'm trying to give it a chance."

Chyyyyyyyy May 16, 2017