User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 1074 reviews 14 medications

8.8
Birth Control 1841 reviews 280 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 257 reviews 162 medications

5.8
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 3172 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I definitely want to share my experience...it seems I'm one of the few who didn't have any negative side effects from it. Had sex on 7/22 and the condom broke. Took Plan B about 8 hours later and spent the next week freaking out that I may be pregnant. My period runs like clockwork, but I've never really paid attention to when I'm ovulating, but I estimated that I may have ovulated the day before I had sex. Like I said, I had NO side effects. I lost my appetite, but I'm attributing that to the severe anxiety I was experiencing. I was due for my period on 7/31, and started bleeding fairly heavily a few hours ago, so a few days early. Just because the side effects aren't there doesn't mean the pill isn't working."

Lily123! July 28, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Only posting to provide a positive experience with skyla. I'm 24 and had skyla inserted about 8 months ago. Insertion was definitely uncomfortable/painful (I was NOT on my period and they say that helps) but it was very quick and you'll get through it. I drove myself home and had the WORST cramps I've ever experienced just for a day or so. Heating pads and midol were my best friends. I spotted a little bit right after it was inserted and that was it! No more spotting, and then 2 weeks later I got my period like normal. I NEVER went through the weeks and months of spotting like some other girls did. My period has been like clockwork the past 8 months, and are light and last about 4 days, with little to no cramping at all. never been happier!"

HappyIUDuser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "i got the litletta put in about 3 weeks ago. I had started my period a day before normally last only a week or so , putting it in wasn't that bad I did flinch a little but wasn't too bad.... I had just had my baby 7 weeks before. it only felt like a pinch and I was cramping for like 20 min afterwards and that's it. I have felt a bit bloated here and there and iv been spotting since.... ill update in a bout a month to see how its going. oh and that same day my doctor did a sonogram to make sure it was in place and it was. but so far so good just waiting on the spotting to stop."

beatriz23 July 28, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Only reason why the Mirena gets a star is because I didn't get pregnant. Extreme pain on implantation, and I have a high pain tolerance. I experienced extreme dizziness, headaches, mood swings to the point of breaking down once a month, cystic acne, headaches, and extreme bleeding. Constant cervical irritation and bloating with no sex drive. Would never recommend it, even though it did its job. I was convinced it was misplaced based on the horrible constant symptoms. When I went to have it removed the nurse acted as if my symptoms were crazy, she had never heard such a thing and my IUD was placed "beautifully" and tried to convince me to keep it. I could have killed her. Final got it removed and back I'm back to being a healthy 28yo."

Cleighangotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "This is my 2nd time having to take this in a 17 month time span. The first time was because my fiance took the condom off without me knowing (I know, I know...). I took it within 10 hours but I happened to be ovulating. When my period was over a week late and I started getting very nauseous, I took a pregnancy test and found out I was 3 weeks pregnant "

2nd Time, Anxious July 28, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Over the past 8 years I have tried almost every method of birth control. It started after having my baby boy in 09'. I selected to have the Mirena put in after realizing that the pills would be to constant for me. Within 6 months it had implanted into my wall and I had to have surgery to have it removed. (Painful process) over the next 6 years I had gone from using the pill to the shot and having three more children. I recently decided to asked my Doc about getting my tubes tied and he had suggested the Mirena for the second time. I was very apprehensive after he had mentioned it so of course I brought up my issue. I elected to have to it inserted and am now happier than ever. No issues so far and we're past the 6 month mark!"

Momma of four! July 27, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had mirena placed 13 months ago and I am soooo happy. Before mirena I had absolutely horrific periods and bled more than I could handle. The cramps were unbearable. Because I am not able to remember to take a pill everyday my doctor recommended this. The placement, not going to lie, hurt a lot. Taking motrin beforehand did not help at all, but I got through it and only had some slight cramping afterwards for a few hours. For the first month and a half I bled, which as first was worrying but eventually it stopped and since I have not had any bleeding at all with the exception of they tiniest amount maybe twice since. I no longer have to use anything, not even liners. I still get light cramping but it is absolutely nothing compared."

issomething July 27, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my IUD put in 2 days ago. It hurt more than I thought it would, like being stabbed twice with the measuring and insertion but was over before I knew it. I wasn't told to take any painkillers beforehand but wish I had. I couldn't help but cry as I felt cramping and felt the T seem to open up inside my uterus. An abortion hurt less than this. I haven't been able to do all that much in 2 days. I can feel it in there & it doesn't feel right, inflaming the uterus so nothing attaches. Woke up today with my belly swollen, 1.5 in. bigger than before & had diarrhea for 2 days. Got online & read about more side effects. Fiancé felt bad for me and we are discussing him getting a vasectomy now since this doesn't feel right. Removing it asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Not going to lie, this pill can possibly make you go insane. But, like all the other reviews say - just be patient. Experience: Last period prior to the pill: June 11th Incident: June 21st (possibly ovulating). Took the pill possibly within maybe 3 mins after (super paranoid). Very light bleeding June 26th (for about 3 days). Symptoms (for a month, after taking the pill): Nausea No appetite cramps (on and off) Some acne lower back pain Obviously all symptoms of pregnancy. Took maybe 6 pregnancy test, and a blood test (all negative). Period came exactly one month after the light bleeding occurred. Please don't make yourself sick like I did. I lost like 10 pounds from freaking out alone. Patience is key."

23965956907 July 27, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got my Mirena and could not be happier. I was apprehensive of the pain due to horror stories that seem to be everywhere. DO NOT BELIEVE THE FEAR! First of all, I have a male gynaecologist. If you're unsure about a male, have no fear! Mine was amazing and spoke frankly but honestly and really comforted me. I had been advised to take 15mg of Murelax and some ibprofen. Although I had taken the Murelax as directed (1 hour prior) my nerves were still extremely high. My gynaecologist, he said he would administer a local anaesthetic to my cervix. This really spiked my anxiety. The ENTIRE procedure was done in about 3 minutes. It was really a 2/10 "pain" and more discomfort. I've had appendicitis & the implanon. This was a walk in the park!"

AnnieeeBee (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the mirena in since April 2015 and been in pain since it was put in and worse for the last 4 months. Finally got around to having an ultrasound only to find out it has broken and now penetrated the linning of my uterus. There is a 2 week wait at the hospital and thats just for the referral to be looked at. Also because of the irregular periods i now have polycystic ovaries. All of this will effect how i raise my son for the next few months as he has quadriplegic cerebral palsy so lifting him and attending to him daily will be effected. Do not get this form of contraception if you havent explored all the other possibilities."

Jumi27 July 27, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So, like many here, I decided if plan b worked for me, I would share my experience to ease any worried minds. Had a bit of a slip up and had unprotected sex the day after my period finished. The sex occurred on a Friday and I took plan B two days after (Sunday). I didn't feel any symptoms until a few days after taking the pill. Honestly, I think the anxiety of potentially being pregnant really made any of my symptoms feel about 100 times worse. I felt nauseous and had sore breasts for a few days after the pill. I got my period two days later than expected. Just try and stay calm and let the pill do its work!"

Eumelia July 27, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "I don't usually spend my time on writing reviews but I know that reading these types of reviews will ease your mind because these reviews had helped me so much. I know it's hard to not get stressed out and worry but you will be fine if you've taken the pill witching the time limit. THE EARLIER THE BETTER !!! so my bf and I had sex. The condom broke. He came in me. We freaked out and went to get " Take Action" ( it's another brand). I took within an hour. Didn't experience much side effects except for very slight cramps, slightly sore breasts and that's it. I was very stressed out. 6 days later I experienced spotting... Black/brown discharge came but very little. Next day I got my period!! But terrible cramps! But it was worth it!"

Lee SM July 26, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got liletta placed in May 2016. I had it placed 7 weeks after I had my second child via csection. The insertion was uncomfortable but bearable for me. The first period I had was extremely long. It was about a month. After that I have had random spotting but not period. I haven't had any bad side effects and also no weight gain! I like liletta and if you can tough if out that first month of a wacky long period and little spotting I would definitely try it. It was also covered by my insurance 100% so that was also a plus for me."

Loland July 26, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had my skyla inserted for about 2 months already. It is very affective when it comes to preventing pregnancy. When I first got it inserted it was a bit painful, I was bleeding for 2 weeks straight and the cramps were horrible ! When I start my period I don't stop bleeding for 2-3 weeks (very light bleeding) and then my period comes back in less than a week. Overall skyla is very affective and I don't regret getting it inserted."

Jasminee July 26, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Long story short, me and my bf made a mistake while I was on my period. We didn't want to risk it so I took plan B the following night. My period lasted an additional 10 days... I guess symptoms and their severity differs. I had non stop migraines and cramps during the 10 extra days. Felt nauseous, and started bursting into tears at odd moments. I felt depressed and my mood kept changing uncontrollably. I wasn't sure what was happening. My friend asked if I was pregnant (I'm not the pill worked) but looking deeper into the reviews and side effects... I wouldn't have taken it."

ReedLee Sarah July 26, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Guys!!! Calm down, my girlfriend and I made the dumb decision to not use protection, so I bought the pill immediately after intercourse. I pulled out but I wouldn't risk it THAT much. This was on July 5 and two days ago she got her period, and currently is. It might mess her cycle but remain calm. The best thing to do is to relax and just use it as an experience to get on better birth control. DONT LOOK AT REVIEWS AND PRAY!"

Boii July 26, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had the marina inserted 4 months ago due to heavy blood flow and frequent bleeding. I have been bleeding EVERY day since. It really defeated the purpose of having it inserted being that I am having even more blood flow. It's really hard to have a sexual relationship with my husband, while bleeding every day..... I'm honestly ready to have this removed!!"

Tricia_P July 26, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had a Mirena IUD for 5 years. It was very uncomfortable and I would not recommend it. The removal "string" was like fishing line and jabbed into me all of the time and gave my husband abrasions. To reduce my daily discomfort, my healthcare provider cut the string short which made removal more difficult. I had a greenish weeping discharge that lasted the whole 5 years that made me think I had some kind of wound. I resented my husband the whole time I suffered this device, but I was too busy with work and kids to remember to take birth control pills. It did prevent pregnancy and not having periods was sort of a bonus. I developed metal sensitivities during that time. It cost about $500 to have it removed thanks to my husband's employer."

WorkingMomto3 July 26, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex June 18, and I took the pill within 24 hours. Within the first week of taking the pill, I experienced five days of heavy spotting, which further delayed my period to today, July 25. I experienced light stomach cramping and heavy white discharge that occurred on and off. Along with this pill I ingested lots of vitamin C, cinnamon, and parsley to help ease my mind, but nothing has ever terrified me so much, so I hope this will help someone else out there. I thank God for this pill. Good luck."

(⌒▽⌒) (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My boyfriend and I had sex 4 days after my period. It was protected sex but unfortunately the condom broke. He did not cum but I totally freaked out after I read about precum. I took plan b 20hr later and I started to bleed 6 day after. I had terrible back pain and became extremely bloated. My period was 11days late . Plan b worked ."

Kvngloki July 25, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "be sure you want to take this. I was pressured into taking it by someone. I only nibbled a bit of it, but I'm sure it's working - feel sick, tired, sleepy. I regret it. follow your heart. :-/"

exometer (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I'm writing this because I haven't seen many reviews after the first cycle. My fiance and I had sex the day I ovulated and the condom slipped off without us knowing till it was too late. I waited about 24 hours because I didn't want the side effects to ruin the weekend, and it says you have up to 72 hours to take it. (Although the sooner the better it says) I took it at night with food and didn't have any side effects until about 4 days later. I had about 2 weeks of bad pms symptoms and fatigue, then I got a very heavy period. I am also over the weight limit at 175. About 23 days after that period started, I started spotting brown blood and have been doing that for almost a week and now the flow is heavier like a real period. It works."

Also not pregnant! (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex Monday and I was a little irresponsible and might have been ovulating but it's always difficult for me to tell (however my boyfriend never ejacualtes inside of me (with and without protection). Anyways I went and bought Aftera the morning afterwards (less then 24 hours). It is now Friday and I honestly just want my period to come so I know forsure. Haven't really noticed symptoms but today I had a BIG increase in white creamy (not stretchy) discharge. Does anyone know what this means?"

Scared but hopeful July 23, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The insertion isn't at all painful, it's just minorly uncomfortable. It itched a bit after for the rest of the day, however, that went away after a day. Otherwise, I've haven't had any of the side effects people have mentioned. You just have to be aware of what your body is doing. If it's uncomfortable, you should go to your doctor."

Astoria L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016