User Reviews for ella

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about ella.

Emergency Contraception
7.3

Summary of ella reviews 7.3 76 reviews

Reviews for ella

For Emergency Contraception "Took the pill 10 hours after unprotected sex, 1-2 days before ovulation, according to Clue, but you can never be sure! Used withdrawal method but wanted to be sure. I didnt have any symptoms at first, but after a week and a half, I experienced mood swings and depression, a bit of acne, back pain and cramping - all of the symptoms I have in PMS, but more severe. Hormonal bomb! My period was late 8 days and I was petrified and stressed to the max, bought a test and it came out negative. Got my period that night!!!!! (9 days late, a bit heavier flow) STAY CALM GIRLS AND USE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!"

Ypmos November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Well, the Ella tablet worked for me, but that’s pretty much the only reason why I’m giving it any stars. The side effects were HORRIBLE. Absolutely horrible. I felt fine the first day I took it, but days 2-5 were a mess. I believe it has such horrible side effects because it is comprised of the same chemical structure as the abortion pill, it just acts on your ovaries instead of the endometrium. My ovaries HURT. I felt a pulling sensation on my uterus the entire time which made it extremely hard to sleep. I got all of the same symptoms that I did when I was pregnant last year- fatigue, nausea, aversion to smells, loss of appetite, sore boobs, v painful uterus, numbness in legs and feet, dizziness. I also kept missing turns and exits while driving, which I never do- especially in my own town. I felt like I was dying with the flu the whole time the medication was active in my system, and then suddenly, at 2am on day 6, all of my symptoms spontaneously ended in an instant. It was really strange. But I have a giant ovarian cyst now along with my period. I’m never taking this med again. I have taken Plan B in the past with no issues."

Veryconcerned1113 November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Took ella 2 days after unprotected sex ..3 days later experienced heavy bleeding and stomach pains. i wasn't even due for my period until 2 weeks later this pain feels like the same as taking the abortion pill.. Never again will I take this pill"

Anonymous November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "My period is 9 days late but pregnancy test says negative. Since taking the pill I've had increasingly bad cramps, back pain, and very sore breasts. I've had sharp stabling pin on the right side of my pelvis with certain movements. I would not recommend this form of emergency contraceptive as I've used others and had significantly fewer side effects."

KaylaSC November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I was recommended this pill by the pharmacy as a more effective pill. I took it 24 hours after unprotected intercourse with my husband and have found I am pregnant. Completely unreliable pill! In the past (7 years ago) I used the other common brand and worked fine. To say we are gutted and shocked is an understatement."

Motheragain November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "took ella one 90 hours after unprotected sex, he withdrew but I was still thinking I should take something, took with food, no sickness, but for weeks, felt lower back pain , and lower pelvic pain, cramps, and tender breasts. Also acid reflux occasionally which I never get. Then of course my period did not come, of course I started panicking and googling everything under the sun. Today negative pregnancy test, got period 3 hours later ..lol... this pill works it just makes your period late. I would use it again."

jl1974902 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Do NOT use this product.I had taken this with 12 hours and am now pregnant!!! Please, I advise all you women who do not want a chid right now to use protection! and if it fails to use the other brands of morning after pill. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!! it also gave me bad cramps!! For what?!?! It didn't even work!!!!"

Solost8989 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Worked for me Also experienced a mental acne breakout for 6 months- ended up on accutane for 8 months to resolve. Learned lesson"

Learned my lesson October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Few days ago I shared my experience after taking ella one, & was waiting for it to work. So I got my period yesterday, on day 23 of my cycle. Which is a good thing although was really painful- I really suffered a lot of cramps after taking the pill. I think its better to use condoms next time rather than making any mistakes and regretting later on. This pill depends basically on your period finishing date and the day you have unprotected sex.."

Jessforever111111 October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I had a two min unprotected sex with my bf, he didn't ejaculated inside. After 3 days ,76hrs took pill ella one. Feeling cramps, headache, back pain, tiredness and still waiting for my period supposed to get today, but maybe medicine delayed it or I'm pregnant. I did preg test today but neg. I am on day 20 today even though my cycle is 28 day. Panicking a lot as I didn't want a pregnancy. "

Jess2017848 October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took EllaOne approx 8 hours after sex. I'm now 3 weeks pregnant. So I'm afraid it there was a 0 rating option I'd be going for that."

Relevance October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took Ella One approximately 8-9 hours after unprotected sex. It was around the time I was meant to ovulate, so naturally I was very concerned. There were no significant side effects in my case, only mood swings in the first day or two (can't say whether this was the pill or just me!). My period, however, arrived a few days late (4-5 days), so I took a pregnancy test in the meantime and it was negative. All in all, I fully recommend Ella One as a convenient and highly effective solution in emergencies."

AnnaLinetti September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took Ellaone around 48 hours after unprotected sex, it didn't work and I now have a healthy 8 month old baby!!!! I did however spend the entire pregnancy worrying about possible adverse side effects on my baby as there is limited data / studies out there on its safety IF you become pregnant!! It clearly works for the many though as trying to find others who fell pregnant is hard work!!!"

Betib00 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took the pill 2 days after having unprotected sex on day 14 of my cycle. The last time I had my period was on July 29 so I was expecting the next period on August 29. I had no severe side effects just some acne.After being 5 days late I decided to do a pregnancy test which came out negative. One week later I went to my gynecologist to check what is going so wrong. After the examination he told me that the pill has freezed my cycle and I would skip a month not having my period. My left ovary was also swollen. I was prescribed primolut pills(hormones), which I took for 4 days. After 3 days off primolut I finally got my period almost 50 days later. Ellaone is very effective but use with caution and do not panic. It can really mess up your cycle"

JK.M September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I wanted to share my experience on here as I found comfort at looking at the reviews at a time of panic myself. I did not experience the side effects until a week after I had taken the pill. I experienced stomach pains, diarrhoea, fatigue and spotting. I read online that spotting was a sign of pregnancy so I was panicking! I was on holiday at this time so unfortunately it did damper my mood while I was on holiday a little. I was reading so many forums, researching the effectiveness of the pill, researching symptoms of pregnancy, etc etc, making myself so stressed out. I was losing so much sleep over it. Finally, my period came a week late, but I was so relieved! Have faith in the pill ladies :)"

cinnapup September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I had unprotected sex on the 17th this month and took the Ella pill 44 hours later. I felt so sick for the first 2 days I couldn't get off the sofa, had severe bloating next few days I was nauseous and vomited a fair few times still am occasionally vomiting 12 days on, I'm now 13 days in and still having symptoms e.g. cramping and back ache mainly on the left side of my abdomen, headaches, heartburn, acid reflux. Also this pill is like an abortion, if you did have a fertilised egg which in my opinion is when pregnancy begins it stops it from attaching therefore causing abortion. Worst pill I've ever taken in my life. I'm due in 4 days and even though I don't think I'm pregnant the effects it's had on me have been horrendous. Use with caution"

Nickname123456789 September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "So I took Ella one just before 48 hours of unprotected sex, my period was due on the 25th, which was about 2+ weeks later on, so I waited, but when the 25th came, no period, naturally was very very panicked, and after a few days there was still nothing, took a pregnancy test and the first one didn't work, which again was worrying, but the second one came back that I wasn't pregnant, which was a big relief! Just come on my period now, which is the 30th. Honestly, try not to worry too much and stay calm, it's more than likely that this has worked!"

pmcm99 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Just something quick to help anyone that's worrying. I took Ella one, 30 hours after unprotected sex. My period was due 2 weeks later making this a very fertile time. My period didn't come had cramps, morning sickness and tireness. Which made me even more worried. Did so many pregnancy test all were negative. Got my period today 7 days later. So relieved. The symptoms I thought was pregnancy must have been worry and stress. The morning sickness I think was me waking up and taking tests and getting myself into a state. Hope this helps someone."

Anonymous 1988 August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took EllaOne 15 hours after I had unprotected sex with a guy I met at this trip I went on by myself; he ended up coming inside me. My cycle lasts for 30 to 32 days, and I had sex during my 21st day, so I was just starting the Luteal Phase (infertile). However, as a woman, despite using any contraception or the pill, I always have a little doubt in my mind, and it remains there until I get my next period. After taking the pill, I was told that, to be sure it had worked, I had to bleed a little. The pharmacist told me that was false. My period's supposed to arrive anytime now. Even though I know that one of the side effects is that it may delay my period, I've never been more scared in my life. I haven't experienced any complications, tho."

Imsostupid18 August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took EllaOne about an hour after having sex with my partner. The condom burst, it was an unfortunate accident. This happened 6 days before I was due my cycle, which is quite regular. The only side effect I had endured was breast tenderness for a few days afterwards. No spotting or bleeding. On the day I was due my period, I suffered abdominal pains which I wouldn't have associated with cycle pains. When my period didn't come, that is when I started frantic researching; reading forums can be very scary and stress you out even more. I had a tendency to latch onto negative experiences. I stressed myself out to the point of sickness. My period arrived 2 days late and I know that EllaOne did the job :) Every body is unique. Relax!"

Jennifear August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Hello, I also want to share negative experience with Ella one. I took this pill after 6 hours after unsafe sex. The next day was okay, but after it unimaginary pain has started for couple days ! blood and very hard pain while peeing. I am so stressed about it. Also feel weak and bad... Its not a first time I take emergency contraception but nothing have had happen before"

Noothertime July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I took Ella one 42 hours after having unprotected sex with my boyfriend, and have heard Ella is still very effective, I have also took levonile before around 6 months before this mishap and everything was fine with that no nasty side effects in fact none at all, but Ella one is a different story, I have felt very ill for about a week of taking it! Day one after taking it I started bleeding which lasted for only four days this wasn't a problem, but the pill has made me feel so weak still do this day my whole body aches I have had constant severe floods of nausea and I'm constantly tired and my belly has been cramping as hell, I do regret taking the pill after the way I feel, and wish I got levonelle on the time frame needed."

Ellaone user (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "I had unprotected sex last month and the man ended ejaculating inside. I was able to take the pill only 3 days after the intercourse and was extremely paranoid about the whole situation, because I was supposed to ovulate right around that time. However my menstruation cycle is a bit longer than normal - around 32-34 days so I guess the pill worked its way because I ovulated later than expected and as far as I know ella works 5 days after you take it. I just got my period last week and everything seemed fine, it was on time and with no abnormalities :)"

Cassiopeia3 July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Hi girls, I'm just going to share my story with you here. I absolutely know what it feels like to be worried and stressed so please try your best to stay calm. So anyway, I had unprotected sex and the next morning I took the morning after pill, EllaOne (after 13-14 hours). I was probably ovulating at the time I had sex so I was freaking out so much, you have no idea. I started smoking a lot and eating so little due to stress and every time I got a cramp here and and there I thought to myself "OMG I must be pregnant". Got the ClearBlue pregnancy test and tested 6 days before my expected period. Negative! Done a second test 4 days before my expected period. Negative! After doing my second pregnancy test I happened to get my period a few hours later that day! So of course, relieve! The stress was gone! So anyway I was expecting my second period to come but it didn't and I started googling so much things. Every hour of the day and I was absolutely going psycho, I used to hide and cry, smoke too much again, eat nothing and the stress was making me sick. Of course, I googled pregnancy symptoms: lower back pain, cramps, so I went psycho and thought oh my god I must be pregnant. But calm, the exact same symptoms are also due to stress and anxiety! I then went and done another pregnancy test. Negative! (It would've been about a month and a bit after I had unprotected sex). I was stress free for a day then again, Google screwed with my head and told me that I was basically pregnant when I wasn't! Was still waiting for my period and it wasn't coming and then I started getting discharge. It was different textures every day: crumbly, egg white etc. and then this followed by brown discharge. I absolutely freaked out and Google told me that if I had brown discharge I could be pregnant. I went and done another pregnancy test (negative), but this wasn't enough for me because I was already gone psycho so I spoke to the pharmacist and broke down in tears and told her I was so scared. She said to me that the morning after pill had so much hormones that can delay or make your period come early. The brown discharge is basically dried blood that couldn't come out. It's because of the morning after pill playing with your hormones. Two days later, psycho me, I had a doctors appointment, told her about my story she done a pregnancy test (negative) and ensured me that I was not pregnant and told me the same things that the pharmacist had told me, the brown discharge is due to the pill and that my period could be irregular for a few months. I was calm for a day. Got home, started googling so much stuff and I freaked out again so I had to return to her for a blood test because that is 100% accurate. So anyway I got my results today and I am not pregnant! Now I'm going to patiently wait for my next period to arrive! So to the girls out there that don't want to get pregnant and have taken the morning after pill within the necessary time. Please don't google too many things it did really mess with my head. You are more than likely fine! Good luck!"

EllaOneUser June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Emergency Contraception "Had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, although he didn't 'finish' in me I took the MAP the next day, around 30 hours later. My period was meant to come 5 days after the date I took the pill. However, it's now 10 days late and I'm getting very worried. I've searched early pregnancy symptoms and I have none of them at all. Need to take a test to be certain "

Scared 18 year old June 20, 2017