User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Endometriosis 77 reviews 106 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 11 reviews 34 medications

3.7
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reviews 2454 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I really don't understand how people can recommend to use a specific BC brand.... It doesn't make sense at all!!!!! The only right way is to see your Gyn and see what she/he says. Everything is so personal, our bodies and organisms are different. If something works for you, doesn't mean it will work for someone else (or the opposite way). I am trying to switch to another BC right now and going to my doctor soon so she can prescribe what will work the best personally for myself."

Di_A_Na October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Ovarian Cysts: "I've been on this for almost 2 years and every other birth control I've ever taken has has given horrible hormonal side effects. This one is great. I don't feel crazy,I didn't gain any weight and it helps decrease the pain from my cyst. I take only the pills and skip the placebos each month in order to shrink my cyst which is in a tricky spot on my ovary and unable to be removed through surgery (I used to have to take a percocet to not feel the pain and it was frustrating). I only feel the occasional cramp but nothing compared to the stabby feelings I used to endure. The only thing that sucks with this is the occasional reddish brown goop that I think is my period refusing to die completely. My libido has also dropped SIGNIFICANTLY :( Anyone know a remedy for this?"

CystSistersss (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I absolutely LOVE this pill. I have been through a lot of rough patches with my health, involving ovarian cysts, hirustism, hormonal cystic acne, and painful and heavy periods. When I first tried birth control in college, I was put on Aviane. It cleared up my skin to porcelain-like results within the first month, it regulated my cycle like clockwork, helped me shed unwanted weight, improved my sex drive, and even increased my breast size (bonus) from a small 34B to a full 34D cup. I am 5'4" and 130 pounds, so this effect only helped my self-esteem! I went off Aviane a few years later after my gyno took out two cysts in 2012, and since then I tried about 6 other pills, from Yaz to Sprintec to Lutera. NOTHING compares to Aviane!"

magyar_boheme88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Alesse was the first birth control that my doctor had put me on. I had no side effects and was confused due to all of the complaints I had heard about taking birth control in general from my peers. I began to wonder if there was anything better than Alesse and that is my biggest regret. I took Lolo as well as Tricera Lo and both of those helped me realize what side effects and tolls some birth control pills can have on women. I was breaking out in cystic acne, my breasts hurt, I had gained weight, my appetite was immense, etc. I went back on Alesse and low and behold, my skin is at its best, I have ZERO side effects and most importantly, it prevents me from getting pregnant."

katgirl31 October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Marlissa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Marlissa for 6 months . I originally started taking it because I had very heavy periods and I also became sexually active. Overall, it did its job. My periods became super light and it did protect me against pregnancy. However the side effects were terrible. I was sick to my stomach for the first couple days of a new pack every month, my cramps got worse instead of better, my mood would constantly change, and there would be random months where my face would totally break out. I just changed to Apri and so far it's been better."

Jay1201 October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was switched from Levora to portia and I hated it so much! I gained 7lbs in 3 weeks even with my healthy diet and exercise. I am switching back immediately, and I don't even know why I was randomly switched the first place. Also, my anxiety was super bad too right when starting this. Never again."

Anonymous October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this birth control a little over a month ago, and it's my first time being on birth control. I'm pretty happy with it. The first week or so my body was adjusting to the drug, so I was much more moody. However my body has seemed to have adjusted, and I'm pretty happy with it. My only complaint is that my period has been almost nonstop. I bled for 2 1/2 weeks, stopped for a few days and now I'm back to bleeding again. I feel like I'm possibly dying but I read somewhere that this is normal so I'm gonna give it time. All in all I'm happy with it and I'd recommend it."

Tired0198 October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on it for 6 months and it works! Period came on time and I'm not pregnant! I've had 3 miscarriages and emotionally not ready to do it again. However, I've gained weight, it makes me very sleepy... like too sleepy to tend to my 4 and 1 year old, my hair falls out BAD! I am not an emotional person, but I do feel I'm more angry and I hate feeling like that. One last thing, I was still breastfeeding my son, not exclusively, and pph told me its ok to take it. Well I'm just now reading the warning label and it reads to not take it if u are breastfeeding!! Pph told me it was ok! It said the drug can be passed to him thru my milk! He has been fine. I'm hoping it stays that way. But it works and I will continue to use it."

Tori41510 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I switched to this pill after taking progesterone only, and I almost immediately regretted it. I was moody and nasty, gained 10-15 pounds within the first two weeks of taking it, started to become depressed, and it completely reduced my sex drive. I also had mild acne before I started taking it, and it developed into cystic acne within a week, and didn’t clear up. I’ve been off it for over a month now, still have the cystic acne, but my mood and sex drive came back up. I hated what happened to me on it so much that I stopped taking it after the first month because to me, trying to finish the 3 mo trial wasn’t worth it. There are other options."

Alixiiiiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I love hate this birth control it’s not all bad but it’s not all that great. I have been on orsythia for a year, I use to get pimples every month before this pill now I rarely get them. (I don’t break out normally) so anyway it definitely kept my skin clear. I have gained about 20 pounds since starting and I naturally am thin I weighed 94lbs before so yeah do the math. It definitely prevents pregnancy I’ve taken it later on some days and still kept me protected. Definitely does give you anxiety HIGH anxiety and depression. You choose though other than that I’d stay on it but I’m switching."

Brebre12 October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Marlissa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taking this for 3 weeks and it's HORRIBLE. I recently just got diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and I have new insurance so my doctor recommended this. The only thing it has done for me, is give me acne. It's made my skin worse. I was taking levora since I was 19, because I always had irregular periods, but it's because I had PCOS this whole time. I'm now 27, and my skin was always phenomenal when I was on levora. I Never gained weight and levora maintained everything perfectly. Now I have pimples every day, and if one heals I'll get 2-3 more, by the time it's healed. I haven't noticed any change in my weight even though, I do workout 4 days a week and watch what I eat."

Anonymous October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This birth control made me break out so much because of its low estrogen to high androgen ratio. I was also very moody and irritable. I was told to wait for my body to get used to it but I ended up giving up around the 4 month mark. I switched to ortho tricyclen because it has a higher estrogen to lower androgen ration."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Levora for about over a year and a half now. I've come to the conclusion that this pills side effects are awful. I get nausea, mood swings, stomach pain in the mornings, gained weight, increased acne. Not for me. However I'm not pregnant!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just recently started this medication as my first ever use of birth control and I've had no issues so far! No nausea, no cramping, no spotting yet. No mood swings or bloating, either. I will update once I get further along but so far I feel like I haven't even taken anything! Don't get too scared by the negative reviews because I think statistically speaking, more people are likely to share their experience if it's bad than people who are happy with it."

KT1993 (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this for one week! No side effects at all. I used to have horrible headaches daily and this bc has gotten rid of them! Was very nervous to start a hormonal pill because I am prone to nausea and headaches. I don't have one thing to say bad about this pill."

Girly257::8/&// October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this birth control for over a year now and it is not working for me. I have no sex drive anymore. And on top of that I have very bad mood swings. It makes me a complete cow and I lose my temper very easily. This medication did not work for me."

mak15 October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camrese (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I lost weight and feel a lot less variable emotionally"

MirandaL (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Personally I have had so far a great experience on alesse. I've been on it for just over 6 months now, it has helped with acne and regulating periods. I haven't noticed any weight gain at all, and my period are super light. I however just recently started having sex, and overall I am a nervous person about getting pregnant, but so far all good! *finger crossed*"

HowdyHithere October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I used chateal for about 10 months as birth control I recommended 100% it regulates your period and everything but it made me so emotional and depressed I didn't really have a problem with that and my boyfriend understood the way my emotions changed so he wouldn't get mad when I was acting like a complete psycho. I changed the pill to tarina fe 1/20 because chateal made me gain 8 pounds in 10 months and it was almost impossible to drop it. Hopefully tarina will not make me gain weight. It's a great method to not get pregnant."

Perlad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was the first form of BC I have used and it has been an awful experience for me. It has killed my sex drive (I’m 18), caused dryness, made my boobs smaller, and worst of all worsened my depression which has negatively affected my relationship as if the others weren’t enough. The only reason I gave it 1 rating is because I haven’t gotten pregnant. Not sure if I should just drop it or wait til I’m finished with this pack but I am definitely switching soon."

SappyWappy October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Overall portia is a decent birth control. I’ve been on it for 9 months. Initially I did have some acne, but that cleared up after the first month. No affects on my libido or my anxiety. One of the negatives for me would be that it made my breasts unequally bigger. It’s not noticeable, but I can tell my right breast is bigger. Also, I’ve tried to do continuous with this pill, but I start having breakthrough bleeding around week 9. but this is the only reason I’m looking into a different pill."

GirlByTheSEA11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have been using this medication for about 3 weeks and has been nothing but no stop bleed from the time my period came which normally last for 5 days and now I am on the 14th day of my period and heavy bleeding. I am really considering just stopping the pills altogether to see if my period will go away and also feel low sex drive and irritable."

angiebee (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I always see such dramatic reviews about birth control, most of the time negative experiences. This pill is overall great, for me, this is the third brand I've changed to within this past year and the only complaint I have about it is that ever since I started this pill, I feel like I've lost a lot more hair. My hair is much thinner than it has ever been. Besides hair loss/thinning, this pill worked amazing compared the previous two I was on. This pill gave me no weight gain or loss, no breakouts, no abnormal symptoms. I even get my period when I'm supposed to + it lighten my period a lot! I would totally recommend this if you don't have a family genetic of hair loss :)"

Amber C October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Literally the worst birth control ever. I was on orsythia & my pharmacy said this was the "generic" version. My period was ALWAYS regular & my period came two weeks earlier this month. It also makes me break out & gained about 5 pounds. I have become very emotional & depressed & I was never like that now. I cry for everything. DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 18 and this is the first birth control I have ever been on. I have really heavy and painful periods so I decided to give it a try. it has been almost 3 weeks since I've taken it and I've had an awful experience. A lot of nausea, headaches, really painful cramps last 30 seconds or so, but the worst has been my mental state. I wake up sometimes and feel almost numb, no energy and sometimes I sit there with blank thoughts but other times I just cry. I actually cry a lot, everything upsets me. My appetite has gone down and I'm feeling like this just isn't worth it anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017