User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, ...show all 59 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Endometriosis 69 reviews 166 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 116 reviews 168 medications

4.6
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reviews 1880 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hi everyone! I started taking Lutera 3 months ago. I have to say, I was tremendously reluctant to try this birth control after reading some of the horrifying reviews. My main concern, if I'm being honest, was weight gain. I lost 60 pounds by eating healthy and exercising but I am someone who gains weight rather quickly so it was definitely a concern for me. Here's a little back story: I've been on a few birth controls from ages 14-25. I initially began taking BC to help with my cramps. I decided to take a break after being on it for 10 years. In the past year, I have been experiencing excruciating cramps to the point where I was vomiting and calling out of work. I'm a pain tolerant person but my cramps were unbearable on day 1 and 2. I went to my gyno and she suggested I start birth control. Enter Lutera. The first week I was feeling slightly nauseous when I would first take Lutera. I decided to eat a large snack or small meal with it and that helped the nausea. I also noticed that I had awful mood swings for about 2 weeks. I would be laughing one minute and crying the next. I even called my gyno within the first week to see if I could switch birth controls, especially given the reviews I had read. She insisted that I stay on for at least one month, and if I still felt the same, we could switch it. I'm glad I listened. The nausea and mood swings went away. I have not experienced any weight gain. I've actually lost weight. As I mentioned before, I gain weight easily and fast so I am always mindful of what I'm putting into my body. I haven't experienced weight gain but I also try to eat well and exercise regularly {this is something we should all be doing anyway}. I haven't experienced acne or depression or anxiety while on Lutera. My periods are shorter and much lighter {about 3-4 days vs 6-7} and my cramps are not nearly as bad as they were. The only thing I've noticed on Lutera is that my boobs are pretty sensitive and my sex drive is slightly decreased but no more than what I had experienced on other BCs. I'm writing this review because I was one of the people who read these reviews and was SCARED + STRESSED to try Lutera. I'm glad that I listened to the medical professional who prescribed the BC {I voiced my concerns ahead of time} instead of listening to reviews online. I will also add that every body is different but I wanted to share my experience in hopes that it puts you at ease. I haven't experienced the symptoms that many people discuss in the negative reviews. Again, we are all different so I can't speak for everyone. I would imagine that medical history and your daily habits would have an effect on any medication you take. I would give it a try for AT LEAST a month and make an informed decision then."

Healthyhappyld (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm reasonably satisfied with Lutera. My chief concern with oral birth control has been emotional side effects (feeling SO CRAZY), and I really cannot tell any difference at all in my mental health or emotional state when taking Lutera. It's not a perfect fit still, as I cramp way more on the last 2-3 days of 'white pills' than I ever have, though the cramps are mild. I've also noticed breast tenderness. But for me the worst effect is that I have had about zero sex drive in the 4 months I've been taking Lutera. That's been a major drag."

SCnative (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for 2 1/2 months now. It's been downhill since 3 days after I started taking it. I've experienced headaches more often, weight gain (10 lbs), water retention and bloating, my mood has changed radically, I snap all the time for no good reason, irrational agitation, irritability. My anxiety has spiked, I've had multiple anxiety attacks since starting this pill (I am also on an anxiety medication and have been for a year and a half and it's helped with my anxiety levels wonderfully until I started Orsythia), I'm almost at my breaking point with it. I'm going to finish out this month and switch to something else. The only positive thing I can say about Orsythia is that it has prevented pregnancy. Would not recommend."

Ktg1994 September 26, 2016

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taking Jolessa for 8 months. My first 2 months went great after that everything went downhill. Acne on my face, itching in certain areas and I've been having abnormal cycles. My cycle would come on TWICE a month and lasted about 10 days. Cramps were horrible and it was heavy flow for EVERYDAY. It was some days I would just spot out of nowhere. This is one type of birth control pills I don't recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2016

Amethia Lo (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have always suffered from having heavy periods, I have tried nuvaring a nothing happened I tried an iud and it slipped out during the first month. I went back to my dr, and she suggested seasonique but a generic brand.. I did and it worked for one month. Then I started to bleed heavier than I have ever bled before. I can't go out of the house for long periods of time because my flow is so heavy now I leak through a super tampon and an overnight pad I have been this way for 15 days and my dr. Said I just have to wait it out. Iam not going to do that I stopped taking the pills and iam hoping this flow will slow down and stop sometime soon. I do not recommend this pill at all."

jayb7903125 September 25, 2016

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Quasense for about a year and a half and I love it! I had breakthrough bleeding during my first pack (the first 3 months) but have not had bleeding since. My body just needed to get used to the change in hormones and not having my period every month. I did gain a little weight but that could be unrelated. Big Fan!"

yaknowme (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Tried Ortho Tri Cyclene, I was so mentally and physically sick I had to stop on the 12th pill. Have been on Lutera now for 4 1/2 months. I've been in a chronic depression/anxiety for the past 2 months. The first 2 months were great. I'm also on other meds so I'm not sure if this is the cause. Also have lost a lot of hair :("

crazygirl66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

Ashlyna (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am currently on the last week of the 2nd month of the Ashlyna (Seasonique) brand of this. As far as periods go, I haven't had any bleeding and this is working great for that. However, since I've started this brand I have gained a ton of weight. I am on other medication for depression, but I've been on that for over a year so the birth control definitely isn't helping. I would make sure to take in account weight gain this may cause before deciding on this particular brand."

Lotsoftries (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for 1 year and I've gained 30 pounds. I've been the same size for years until I started taking this pill. My emotions are crazy but it does make my periods shorter and not as uncomfortable"

Diamond95 September 21, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Awful. I'm currently on this birth control and literally everyday I bleed. And there's an odor that comes with it. It's awfull. I'm going to give it a few days but it's bad."

Kenniken (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "i HATE THIS BIRTH CONTROL i've been on it for a month and a half and it gave me acne all over my face! i haven't had acne since i was 16 (im 20 now) i hate this and i'm switching ASAP"

squasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Overall a good birth control to take. I have been using for 3 months and period is lighter with no cramps, don't get mood swings just a little sensitive a day before period. First few weeks I felt nauseous in mornings an head aches on and off but then they went away. No weight gain so far, boobs got a little bigger. A downside is I have been breaking out when usually I have no acne at all. So far very reliable because not pregnant"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "No issues with this birth control."

Cici! (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 19, 2016

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "It helped slow my period but it gave me intense cramps. Will be switching as soon as this pack is up"

CyLane September 19, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My journey with this BC has been extremely rough, but worth it! I have been diagnosed with PCOS, GERD, IBS - D, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, and manic depressive disorder. My gynecologist instructed me to give it 6 months before discontinuing. The first 2 weeks were normal. Then I had spotting for 4 weeks straight. I could deal with that. I figured I hadn't had my period in months due to PCOS so it would take time to regulate. At the 6 week mark I got the heaviest menses of my life with extreme cramping. Ended up in ER twice. Had my period for 12 weeks straight. Off for 3 weeks, back on for 4 weeks. And then it started working normally. Now I have no symptoms at all and get my period every 3 months like clockwork!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2016

Camrese (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "been on this for almost 2 months i took it while i started my period stop bleeding for two days and spotted for another 2weeks and been fine since then, but i did exprience nausea but importantly depression am stopping because am so down and out and i havent finished the 3 month pack...overall i really like this birth control but i cant deal with this depression"

REALLY NOT THAT BAD (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was put on this because I originally had irregular bleeding. Normally, a week before my period I would spot, have my period for about 3 days and be done. Since being put on Orsythia, I've already been fully bleeding for 2 weeks plus 1 week of heavy spotting before hand. Needless to say, I have an emergency OB appointment on Monday to get me on something else that doesn't make this condition worse than it already was. The only two things this helped with was the life altering cramps/body pains during pms and it also did not take away from my sex drive (though I could not even have sex because of the erratic bleeding).... I would NOT recommend this to my worse enemy."

Kevans628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this pill for 5 months and have put on 8 pounds which is very uncommon for me. I also have zero sex drive. I am getting off this pill immediately. I'm going back to a regular monthly period pill."

A20D (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "So after having my second child and finishing nursing I was having major cramping the week of my period. Not debilitating, but extremely uncomfortable. My obgyn recommended seasonique more for hormone control than for birth control. I tried it and absolutely loved it for the 65 days. Then my period started earlier than I'd anticipated, but no big deal, right? I'm currently on day 18 of my period. Aside from the cramps and some genera moodiness my periods before lasted 4 days and weren't a big deal. I've now bought stock in tampax and Kotex. It'll lighten up and then wham! Called my doctor and she's switching me back to loestrin which previously did nothing to help with the cramps and moodiness, but at this point I'll take it!"

MotherOfTwoBoys September 16, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Do not take it! I was recently misdiagnosed with PMDD Bc I was having severe mood swings, headaches, anxiety, depression etc. Bc of those effects my OB put me on SSRI's on top of this birth control diagnosing me with PMDD. Only to find out months later that those and the Lutera were literally making me crazy. I was taken to the ER when I had a severe panic attack the other day and followed up with my primary Doctor. She took me off the anti depressants and also took me off Lutera explaining Lutera was the cause to it all. That I more than likely do not have PMDD and that I should have been given a different birth control by my OB long ago instead of misdiagnosis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2016

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The first day I took alesse I felt perfectly normal. The next day I instantly felt nauseous and tired. The third day and 3 days after I had severe migraines that never seemed to go away even after taking 2 400mg advils. The migraines went away for a week but came back this week for another dreadful 4 days. Couldn't handle it anymore and went to my doctor who advised me to stop taking the pills and wait a week to see if the migraines continue without the use of alesse. Hopefully I just need to change brands of birth control to better suit me! I'm sure it's a great birth control just wasn't for me!"

N.W September 15, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've tried other BCP before this one and they made me more emotional than this one. I would be hysterical and with aubra i felt more like myself. It definitely had its cons, but the fact that it didn't give me emotional panic attacks like my previous bcps, it wins. I really like this one. Pros: For me, less emotional and lighter periods. Effective in preventing pregnancy. Cons: Nausea, I was told to take my pills at night for this reason. And most nights I don't feel this symptom. Less sex drive."

PinkMischief (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Lutera for over 2 years now. when I first started taking it I had some mood swings, but now I'm ok. I'm changing my birth control because I feel like it affected my sex life. I hardly get in the mood. My doctor is switching it to Yaz. Hopefully that would work better. If it wasn't for the affect of Lutera on my sex life I wouldn't have changed it at all."

SportGal93 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Best birth control ever.... Lost weight and help with cramps doing period"

NeneG September 11, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking this birth control for nearly 6 months. My new obgyn told me to stop taking it because of my blood pressure as it rose since I started this pill. I also gained 18lbs on this pill. I even changed my eating to eating healthier which didn't affect my weight. I also got a shorter temper on these pills. I also have almost constant breakthrough bleeding with mucus probably 3-5 days a week"

Jess01902 September 11, 2016