User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Afirmelle, Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Ayuna, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Endometriosis 77 reviews 106 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 11 reviews 34 medications

3.7
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reviews 2368 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Ashlyna (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I know birth control affects everyone differently. And I happy for the people who enjoyed this birth control. But I did not. I was placed on this to manage my endometriosis. When I started taking it, the first two weeks were constant crying and shaking from my anxiety sky rocketing. It slowly adjusted but still had panic attacks and my depression got worse. All of my physical problems went away. But it made my emotional and mental issues MUCH worse. By the 3rd month I was mostly adjusted and starting to feel like myself again... until I took the pills for my period... Then it started all over again!!! I decided to stop taking them. And my body is still adjusting after almost two months. I would MUCH rather deal with the physical pain."

Queenie33333 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This pill gave me the worst acne I have ever experienced. I never really had skin problems until I began taking this. I have been on it for 3 months and it has not gotten any better. The only thing this is good for is pregnancy prevention. I'm switching brands because my skin looks terrible from this."

K89000999 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for several years & Microgestin before that- - no problems at all with either."

S* August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Had to switch to this from Levora that worked great. Even though Portia kept me from getting pregnant, I woke up every morning with cramps, nausea and by week 3 I had purpura show up on my legs."

Kim8753x (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking the BC Sronyx for about 2 months, my period have not came on (which is AWESOME), THE DOWNFALL, my hair has started to fall out and become thin, I am very moody (angry), I have gained 10 lbs within the 2 month timeframe. I am starting to have pimples on my face that I never had in my 22 years of life. UGH hate and Today I stopped taking it."

Ty_TY94 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "So far, not so good. Have only been taking Sronyx for 22 days (so maybe it gets better after 2-3 months), during which time I experienced the heaviest period of my life with excessive clotting. Cramps were reduced, however. I'm not prone to acne but have an increased occurrence in pimples since taking. Generally I just feel 'off,' and not like myself."

Wouldn't recommend August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill since the end of April, and everything has gone downhill since then. I bled for 21 days straight, then the bleeding stopped for about two weeks. After that, I bled everyday for the remaining two months, up until the sugar pills. Once I started a new pack, everything went great for the first two weeks. However, I started bleeding AGAIN midway into the third week. It was at that point, that the remaining patience I've had for this pill was lost. Yeah, this birth control truly does prevent pregnancy, because it prevents you from having sex in the first place, due to the never-ending shark week. :( I'm switching to a stronger pill, because this is my FOURTH month on birth control, so I should not be bleeding this much."

Orenjii August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill about 3 years ago. At first, I wanted to use it as a birth control & to clear up my acne (which wasn't that bad; I had light/moderate acne with no cysts). However, my acne got A LOT WORSE (severe cystic acne) and I didn't know it was from that pill. I had acne like I never had before and I started experiencing violent headaches (at least 1 or 2 per week). I tried a lot of treatment for acne, but none of them worked. Due to a breakup with my ex-boyfriend from the last 5 years, I stopped the pill about 3 months ago. Honestly, my face cleared up now and it's as smooth as a baby's butt!! Also, I never experienced headaches again since I stopped that pill. So yeah, that pill did it job as a birth control, but, it wasn't the great one for me and it's too bad that I realize it 3 years later!"

anonymous_xo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse-28 (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taking Alesse 28 for just over a year and its dramatically changed my period, for the better. My flow used to be heavy and 7-10 days with EXTREME cramps! I am now down to 2-3 days with a light flow and manageable cramps. My cycle has always been on schedule so it didn't change that aspect much. I should add I'm 19 and this is the first and only birth control I've tried and I think it works great."

rugbygal4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I went through a few generics because the pharmacy seems to be very insensitive to people's potential needs. Vienva has been a miracle for me. I had a fairly common issue at age 51 - the nonstop period. I did have radiology, tests, second opinion and there is nothing wrong with me other than being at this stage in my life. Other generics gave limited improvement and what seemed like mild depression but Vienva has given me my life back. I am having to switch pharmacies because the old one seems to think it is no big deal to switch the generic EVERY time. Tired of fighting for my prescription. Not everyone is super sensitive to switching the generic, and I was initially optimistic that I would not be sensitive - but I am."

catty cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "BEST THING EVER! If you are going on birth control, you might as well do extended cycle! You basically never get your period (so bye bye cramps, bleeding, buying tampons, ruining underwear). Perhaps the best part is that there is no placebo pill! The week off still has estrogen so you can say goodbye to mood swing side effects caused by the placebo that is a sugar pill. On this extended cycle, you don't get the same crazy side effects as you would when 1 week every month you don't take the hormone. It is a little expensive upfront because it is 3 months worth of meds. So if you do the math, it should be 3 times as expensive as one script that you pick up 3 times in 3 months. But you basically never need tampons, so put it toward this!"

San Fran MSBI (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this birth control for about 8-10 years. At first it was great only getting your period a few times a year. In the time I was on it my face started to break out and I gained about 40 lbs. I was depressed and had no energy or sex drive as well. I would spot for weeks until stopping so I Would get my period. I finally got off of it because my health insurance ran out. Almost immediately my skin cleared up and I lost 20 lbs. Then I started dating someone so I had to get back on. I started with mono-lynthia which was fine for my skin but made my hair fall out. I then switched back to seasonique and I have been on it for a week and already have had 3 huge zits on my chin and feel extremely moody and bloated."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been using this for about 8 months my periods up until the 6th month were regular some didn't come until the 3rd or 4th day on the placebo pills but then they got lighter and lighter this month I haven't bled at all it makes me nervous but I've heard this is normal. Other than that I've had no other issues."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started using this alesse when I got pretty moderate/severe acne (no cysts though). This product worked okay for me, its very low dose so it didn't make a huge difference for me. It did improve my acne (I only had light/moderate acne) but I coupled it with minocycline and topical clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide and the retin-A gel (0.05%). I'm not entirely sure which made my face better. Alesse helped keep my weight down and I had no side effects. I switched to yaz because I heard it was better for acne (which it was) but then I got crazy mood swings and emotions so I switched back. Now it isn't as effective on me. I'm now looking to switch to ortho tri-cyclen! I would recommend this product!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Alesse for about 4 years. Just going off it now just to see how I feel off birth control (if I feel any different). My experience with it was great. My period cramps became way more manageable and my periods only ever lasted about 4 days max. For the last 2 years me and my boyfriend would have sex no condom and never had any scares so it works well! ( I was good with it and took it every night before bed). I don't have acne prone skin so I didn't experience any problems while on the pill. I've been on Alesse since grade 12 so I'm curious as to how my body might be off the pill thats the only reason I'm going off it, and I would definitely take it again if/when I go back on the pill."

ky087 August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Ovarian Cysts: "Have been on Lessina for 3 months (no placebo week) to prevent recurrent ovarian cysts. My 6 cm cyst has shrunk to below 3cm. I feel great, fewer mood swings and no weight gain or other symptoms. I am 44, and my doctor doesn't want me to take it for very long, but I feel it has been helping."

Raven96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I too was was switched from orsythia without any notification. I figured it was the same thing so no biggie right?...wrong! This drug almost destroyed my life. I'm about to check myself into a mental institution. It made me so, so down, and gave me panic attacks. I'm so resentful to whoever switched this without telling me...do not use this drug!!!"

Kristen0922 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Before taking Chateal, I was on Sprintec for 9 years. I had a flawless experience with Sprintec, but when my health insurance ended I was left with Chateal. The first few months were fine, but over time I started spotting between periods more and more frequently. I was very careful about taking it at the same time every day, but still the spotting persisted. After just over a year on Chateal and about 6 months of spotting, I switched back to Sprintec a week ago and no spotting yet! Also, while on Chateal I felt down a lot of the time and had pretty bad anxiety. I'd rather pay out of pocket for Sprintec than get Chateal for free. It kept me from getting pregnant though, so it works in that sense."

Stephii August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was my first birth control I've ever had. My skin was clear but once I started taking this I had the worst acne. I was bloated, went from a size 3 to 7 within a week. I was nauseous, my breast were tender and swollen. My appetite increased. The only good thing about it was it increased my sex drive. I switched to Ortho Tricylen Lo and I actually liked it but the only thing is it decreased my sex drive. Now I'm on Aubra since Planned Parenthood doesn't have it anymore, so far no side effects."

Syrian (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Run far away from this pill! I was also switched from Orysthia (which did wonders for me) to Vienva without being notified. I figured also since it had the same active ingredients I would be fine wrong! The past week has been nothing but a nightmare! My moods have been so up and down! Feeling depressed I lashed out on one of my best friends for no reason! Please don't take this! I'm calling my pharmacy right now to see if I could get back on Orysthia!"

TT11314 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "If you have any history with anxiety and/or depression, stay FAR away from this pill. I have been on Orsythia for 4 months and it's been miserable. My anxiety is thru the roof, I have panic attacks weekly and throughout the month I would go into a depression where I would just be hating on myself and be completely sad for no reason at all. I also didn't get my period during any of the "period week" (placebo pills week), instead I would get a period week 2-3 of my pill pack. It also made my breasts hurt for the 2 months, and made me have little to no appetite, I lost 20 pounds while taking this. Sharing my experience so other girls don't have to go thru the same thing. I am using condoms as a contraceptive now, and it is sooo much better."

victoriaaaa16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I love this birth control. I was on Microgestin for almost a year but I started to develop unpleasant symptoms around my time of the month so I switched. When I get my period now, I bleed maybe 3 or 4 days and only experience some mild back pain. I rarely cramp or get bloated. After the first two days are over, it's almost as if I'm not even on my period. The acne I got from the other birth control has cleared up also. I've been blessed with light periods all my life but this birth control seems to work very well with me."

Sarah91 July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've only been on alesse for a week but I'm already quitting it... no physical pain or acne or anything like that, but I'm experiencing these horrible mood swings. All the sudden I become extremely irritable or want to cry my eyes out, it's unbearable. Also, I'm hardly ever hungry or full now. The not being hungry thing isn't so bad, but I can literally eat an entire tub of icecream and still not be full. I've definitely gained a little bit of weight."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I absolutelllly loved this BC. The first one I went on (probably the last too) and it's done wonders. I haven't gotten pregnant (woo!) & it cleared up all my acne! I have naturally very oily skin & break out right before I get my period, but on Aubra those annoying whiteheads went away. When I first started taking it I found myself hungrier than usual & with an increased appetite, and I gained almost 10 lbs, but after the first few months my appetite curbed and went back to normal & I lost the weight. My boobs grew slightly and it helped regulate my period. My friend was also on Aubra but had to switch because it made her gain a lottttt of weight. Everyone's body reacts differently, but personally Aubra worked for me :^))"

AloeZam July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Camrese (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taking this medication for about 1.5 years now. I had chronic migraines for over a year before I started taking this, with no explanation as to why I was having such awful headaches every single day. Ob-Gyn recommended me on birth control, and I haven't had a migraine for 1.5 years now! I don't have any bad side affects from this birth control (that I've noticed yet). Only having a period 4 times a year is definitely a plus!"

Emilyisawesome (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2017