User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, ...show all 58 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Endometriosis 68 reviews 160 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 111 reviews 162 medications

4.7
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reviews 1823 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started taking Orsythia about four months ago. This was my first experience on birth control, so I was incredibly apprehensive about the side-effect, namely: migraines, birth control, and mood swings. The first two months, everything went so smooth. These last two months I have been shocked with the adverse effects I've experienced. I have had issues with water-weight gain, which fluctuates between 3 and 5 pounds, and nausea. But, the biggest issue I have found with this medication would be the anxiety and depression. At first, I chalked it up to stress. However, people around me noticed that I have not been myself. I've felt edgy, irritable, overwhelmed, confused, and sensitive. I'm finishing this month, then switching to a new pill."

Lyd47 August 24, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Lutera for a year and I literally renewed my prescription today. It's so good that I'm scared to try anything else. I don't have any side effects. If anything else it has calmed me down a bit (I'm really emotional/anxious) I haven't had any weight gain or anything crazy. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in trying birth control."

Tiffany J (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2016

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill for a little over 3 months and this pill made my life hell! The only good thing about this pill is I didn't get pregnant, but this pill made me extremely depressed and very irritable. The last month I was on the pill I had my period for 3 weeks and it was still continuing when I switched to my new birth control, and the month before I had my period or 10 days. I would not recommend this birth control to anyone!"

Lizzy12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Amethia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've recently switched from Trinessa (taken for 18 years) to Amethia (taken for 6 months). I discontinued Amethia mostly due to mood change & weight gain. Pros: Effective in preventing pregnancy, normal periods lasted 4-5 days once every 3 months. Cons: Severe moodiness and impatience in first 1 1/2 months which turned to moderate depression for remaining months and overall general unhappiness. Increased appetite which led to increase weight gain in the belly (5-7 lbs in 6 months). Extreme bloating in belly area in the 2nd & 3rd month in each cycle. Mild monthly cramping during times when period normally comes. Bone & muscle pain - mostly in knees & legs & teeth. Cost of medication was high (based on my insurance coverage)"

Justawoman August 22, 2016

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was put on Chateal 5 months ago because I was diagnosed with PCOS & Hypothyroidism. I had bleeding for 28 weeks Prior so they wanted to stop it. It didn't regulate me at all, I've experienced Period Cramping which I've never had before. I've lost weight and my sex drive. I've had nausea, Dizziness, Frequent Migraines, Blood in stool. But worst of all Stomach cramps and Extreme pain In abdomen area. If I stop taking the pills the bleeding will continue and I won't be able to get the tests I need to find out what is wrong. All in all, I'm going back on Friday to get more tests and a biopsy. If this birth control gives you extreme side effects, Or doesn't regulate your period; Contact your doctor right away."

Oml (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Alesse for three months now, and although I haven't suffered any weight loss/gain, acne or nausea I have felt extremely fatigued and lethargic. Not to mention the fact that my period would randomly start halfway through when I still had 7 or 8 active pills left. And when my period did start I would suffer bouts of depression, crying for no reason, spending all day in bed and entertaining a few suicidal thoughts. I will be discontinuing use of Alesse and I plan to speak with my doctor about other alternatives. As a contraceptive the pills work, but they are not worth the side effects I was eduring"

Laila828 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This gave me headaches all the time. Stopped taking it and have been headache free !"

Berthamorh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2016

Camrese (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill for about a year and a half, and at first I would have light spotting for normally a month or so which was quite annoying, however it was light enough to tolerate. After being on this pill for about 3 cycles, I discovered the trick to getting rid of the spotting is to take it within the hour every day. My periods were 3 days long on the dot when I was on my inactive pills, and we're not too heavy. Considering I never missed a pill in the whole time I was on this and did not get pregnant with a regular sex life and not using another form of contraception, it does seem to be very effective. With my last cycle taking it always within an hour, I had almost no spotting at all."

Sarahsreviews August 21, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just turn 18 , never been on birth control before and I started taking the pills the first day I got my period. Aug 7. I've been taking the pills everyday around 11:30pm and Im still bleeding August 20th. The m period changed from light to heavy , dark brown to red with blood clots . It's completely horrible"

KekeMalia August 20, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This pill was prescribed to me because I get menstrual migraines. While it has worked for that & kept my skin clear from the cystic pimples I would occasionally get, it has raised my blood pressure & made me gain at least 15 pounds now over 3 years. & still gaining. When will it stop? Obviously not until I stop taking it. I don't eat any more than I ever have, appetite feels the same yet this weight is somewhere on me. I am very unhappy with it. I feel bloated constantly & no matter how much I work out or how much water I drink I cannot lose any weight. Seriously considering ditching this medication & just dealing with the migraines another way. If you have started this med & are gaining weight caution-if will not stop."

Solochic (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I have irregular periods and decided to get back on BC to regulate them... I'm on day 11 of Aviane and it is the absolute WORST!!!!!!!!! I started spotting within a day of taking the pill... I figured since it been a while that was normal. Ugh. Then started a full blown period the next day and it hasn't gone away. I missed one dosage and that lightened it up, but now that I'm taking it reguarly again it's a heavy cycle again. Also I've vomitted once and have been consistently nauseous and have headaches all day. I try to drink water and eat but nothing is helping, but laying down and I can't do that all day. My mood is ridiculous. I cry about everything now. I cried because the sun was out and it was beautiful smh. I would say stay away!"

Tired of bleeding (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I went on Aubra to 1. Avoid any accidents with my partner and 2. Try and clear up my acne. I'd been to dermatologists who prescribed topical creams and oral antibiotics, but nothing helped clear my face. I had it the worst on my chin and forehead, and thought to maybe give BC a try. But after sticking this out for a month I had to stop. I had terrible headaches, dizziness, and was moodier and found myself crying at the slightest things that normally wouldn't have upset me. And, although I took it to clear up my skin, it actually made my skin worse. I had so many more breakouts on my chin than before. So maybe this wasn't the right BC for me, but I am also now nervous to give any other BCs a try."

Ryan Y. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "18 years old. 4th month. Some symptoms: sickness (worse right after taking the pill and more around 1-4am), migraines, bad cramps (on and off period), nausea (I still haven't vomited but there are times where I think it'll be more satisfying then feeling like it), my stomach sticks out like a balloon, I've been pretty emotional (I get really sad and have no idea why), I fainted twice and get dizzy often, my body feels weak and I bruise easily, both knees cramp up, but my period is regular and light and my acne has went down.. also I'm not pregnant so that's good too."

An0n97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

Aubra (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've just completed my first week I've experienced so far anxiety, sudden fleeting waves of nausea, appetite increase ,acne , mood swings, worsening depression I hope it gets better"

Gel nail polish (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I had the mirena after my first daughter and had it again after my second but felt it was making me very moody and gained weight. So I just have been on aviane for 2 weeks and I have had painful heartburn and acid reflux to the point of no sleep for 3 nights straight this past week and extremely bloated feeling. I was really excited to be back on the pill since before my kids I was on the pill and never had any issues, but I'm only two weeks in and my body is hating itself. Sad to say I would not recommend. But everyone is different"

Notafanofaviane (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taken Chateal for 7 months now. It's been effective the whole time I've been on it but it's been a horrible experience overall. It did not help with my period in any way. My periods are still the same length, they're heavier and my cramps are worse. Acne never played a part in this as a side effect since I've never had a problem with acne. Taking Chateal literally made me feel insane. I have never in my life felt so sad and angry and depressed for no reason. I used to only cry getting close to my period and now I cry all the time the whole month about anything. I constantly felt depressed without a way out because I couldn't figure out why I felt this way. No one should have to feel this way."

Vmarti August 17, 2016

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Levora is the only birth control I have ever taken so I had nothing to compare it to. My acne has cleared up nicely but have not noticed any change in breast size. My periods aren't much better than what they were except now they're on time. I haven't gotten pregnant but every month I worry at the slightest symptom I probably get from these pills. I have noticed crazy emotions as well as crying a lot more."

Omgsrslyallthenicknamesaregone August 17, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just started Lutera a month ago, but so far I am very happy with it. I put off going on birth control for years because I'm a sensitive person and thought that I'd surely be the type of person to react negatively to the hormones. However, since starting I feel great! I feel even-keeled and happy, and did not experience the usual intense mood swings and food cravings of my cycle. My period is light and I hardly experienced any cramping (in the past, I've had to miss work because I've been in so much pain). My boobs are a little tender and I do notice brown discharge/some spotting, but I haven't experienced any truly negative side effects. I'm really happy with Lutera and wish I had made the decision to go on it years ago!"

jcrewen77 August 15, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "My 16 yr-old daughter started using it. For a few days she was ok. Things soon changed however and the rest of the 2 months she was on it were horrendous. She is usually a very happy, optimistic and easy-going person. She became highly irritable, having frequent outbursts of anger over seemingly nothing. Her boyfriend, my husband and I were walking on eggshells around her constantly, as it seemed anything would set her off. She broke up with her boyfriend 3 times during that time, which she had never done before. I was super scared and wondered what was going on. It took us a little while to realize it was probably the Lutera, and we took her off it as soon as we were able to convince her it was clearly unhealthy for her."

Tewa August 15, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I don't have anything but good things to say about Orsythia. It regulated my periods really well, reduced and shortened bleeding, and completely got rid of my cramps. I haven't noticed any major side effects. No spotting, no weight gain, and no acne issues. I've noticed I'm sometimes a little bit more emotional during week 1, but it's never been of any issue or effected me negatively. As of now I have no plans of changing from this pill."

Anonymous August 14, 2016

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I went on Levora because I wanted to skip and reduce my heavy periods as well as clear up my hormonal acne. At first my acne cleared, but around 6 months later, my acne returned and seems to be worse, some actually cystic. My periods are still immensely heavy and around 6 days, but I skip my period for 3 months at a time so I am thankful I have birth control to be able to only have it a few times a year. I get terrible cramps and even my parents noticed that my moods are inconsistent and that my depression seems to have worsened. I have gained weight that is seemingly impossibly to lose and my sex drive is so low for a teenager. I'm going to stop taking it after this pack and see how my body reacts."

KKlevora August 13, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was my first time on the pill, and I can say that it has been great. I gained a few pounds the first month, but I also started lifting weights and eating a lot more to help build muscle the same time I started taking it, so I can't say definitively that the pill is what made me gain weight (and by gain weight I mean like 5 to 7 pounds--I haven't gained or lost more than 2 or 3 in the past 4 years as a high schooler so that was pretty significant for me). It didn't clear up my acne but it didn't make it any worse, I've had no mood swings, no cramps, no pms symptoms, no bloating, really no side effects at all. The only real change I've experienced by taking this is that it made my period more regular and lighter. I have no complaints"

Brenna R August 13, 2016

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Lutera for over a year, and I love it. I'm shocked to see so many bad reviews but i guess everyone's body reacts differently so I'd just keep an open mind! I have very light, short periods, I'm no more moody than I would normally be, and haven't gained any weight. I have used other pills in the past that made me very moody and depressed and worsened my PMS symptoms but this really evened me out. the only thing I'm wondering is if this is why i have persistent acne, it never occurred to me until recently because all doctors I've asked just say oh good you're on bc that should be helping. Even if it is the cause of my acne i'm not sure i would switch because it works that good for me."

em225 August 12, 2016

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "As I am not sexually active, I cannot state upon the effectiveness of this as a birth control, however upon taking this my anxiety and depression flared to the point that therapist is suggesting medication for that. I have no experienced any odd weight gain, although my hunger signals are off (I do not get hungry, nor full anymore). My acne is the same as usual, with no more or less cystic acne. I am choosing to switch birth control brands to see if it will change, but the emotional symptoms are just too much for me to handle."

TheOneAboveAll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Camrese (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on camrese for almost a month before I was on lo seasonique which I loved better. I switched because I was told it helped better with cramps an lighten your period, but omg I been spotting every since I been on it! My period was due last week but i just been spotting. I'm on my last week of pills this week. I take my pill every morning on time never miss still spotting smh. I'm calling my doctor telling him I need to switch back over. Its literally like your on your period for a whole month! I don't recommend at all!"

shandrella91 August 9, 2016