User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Aviane, Vienva, Seasonique, Lutera, Seasonale, Levora, Balcoltra, Lessina, Trivora, Portia, Twirla, Kurvelo, Sronyx, Falmina, Ashlyna, Jolessa, Larissia, Marlissa, Altavera, Setlakin, Levlen, Introvale, Camrese, Enpresse, Amethyst, Daysee, Orsythia, Simpesse, LoSeasonique, CamreseLo, Amethia, Rivelsa, Jaimiess, Aubra EQ, Chateal EQ, Levonest, Lillow, Sylevia, Amethia Lo, Chateal, Myzilra, Delyla, Aubra, Quartette, Ayuna, Lo Simpesse Fayosim LoJaimiess Cerinta Afirmelle Elifemme Dolishale Iclevia Tyblume …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 3723 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 36% of those users who reviewed Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

JSchweder · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2021

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been taking Gianvi since I was 20 years old and I absolutely loved it no weight gain, clear skin, no emotional break downs, and it cleared my PCOS I recently changed my birth control because I noticed I was bloating due to I was on it for so long. My dr switched me to Portia and only 3 days into my new pack my body itches, I’m emotional, and I am antsy I also gained a few pounds within 3 days. DO NOT USE PORTIA! It reminds me of YAZ and should be taken off the market!!!! I would take the bloating with Gianvi any day then the side effects with Portia!”

SherriWilliams June 9, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This is the first bc pill I’ve ever taken, and after reading these reviews I was definitely scared to begin taking them. The first 2 months were ok for me, aside from some mood swings, but then things started going downhill. It’s been 7 months now, and my experience has been largely negative. I have been experiencing vaginal issues that I’ve never had before, and I now realize that the dryness this pill causes has led to a lot of challenges for me. Sex in my relationship has become painful and pretty non-existent, and I’ve generally been having discomfort that has been crippling at times. Overall it’s made me miserable and it has destroyed my self-esteem The only positive is that my periods are very regular (they last Wed-Sat once a month) and they are less painful than they were prior to me being on bc. Unfortunately that is not enough for me to continue using. I’m scared to try another pill, so I may have to take a break from bc. I don’t recommend.”

Jadien20 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2021

Aubra EQ (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I been on this birth control for 7 months. It’s effective to prevent pregnancy I didn’t have any issues for the first 3 months. I did experienced hair loss. 5th month I started to not feel myself very sad and depressed. No sexual drive at all. My mind was somewhere else all the time. I really tried to give it a chance but I can’t take it anymore I hated feeling sad everyday. Give it a try and if it’s not for you make the switch right away. Good luck”

ABvienva · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “A teledoc suggested Vienva for me and not knowing much about any BC, I went ahead and had her prescribe it. I then made the mistake of looking at these reviews and they FREAKED me out. I know everyone is different but I do think that people are more inclined to write a review after having a bad experience. So now I’ve been on it for over a month and have literally felt no changes to my body or mental health. No side affects and just a light, short 1st period. I know everyone is different but I‘ve had a positive experience so just wanna be one light in this sea of scary reviews!! Good luck :)”

mochi · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “PT.1 I've been on Vienva for almost three weeks and I can say its not as bad as I thought it’d be, I was skeptical about it because of all the bad reviews and I was scared I was going to get acne bc of it. But I would say it just get my appetite going in the morning, which I love because I deal with a lot of anxiety and I lose my appetite so much. My boobs are fuller which I'm not complaining and they're a little sore here and there. I do experience a little cramping but it last for like 10 mins. Today I was super emotional but I can never tell if its the birth control or just the people in my house hold LMAO. But before today I was actually kinda happy which makes me happier bc I haven't really been happy in so long. For any ladies trying this I would say to not be scared! But I will update you guys with PT.2 once I finish the first 3 months!”

Em January 19, 2020

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I’ve been on the Vienva pill for two months. I read so many reviews and was scared to take it because of all of the side effects everyone seems to have, but I decided to take it anyway. My boobs have grown a full size (from C to D), and that is the only place my body has gained weight. I will say though, they were VERY sore and sensitive everyday for about a month. Now they don’t bother me but they will be tender here and there. The pill has not made me feel nauseous or get migraines, but I will say it does make me more gassy and use the bathroom more. I went on this pill in the hopes that I would not have too many cramps when I get my period, and BOY did this pill exceed my expectations! I did not get any cramps and I bled very lightly! (I’m 19, 5’1 and weigh 125 so honestly my period would keep me bed ridden with cramps and very heavy bleeding, especially because I’m on the petite side). I overall love the pill and will continue to stay on it”

Kyky · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “The pill club prescribed me Vienva, and I have been on it for a month now. When I read these reviews last month I was honestly terrified and scared to try it because so many people had awful side effects. But let me tell you, you should give this a chance. You might react completely differently than other people on this. I have had minimal side effects, just a slight increase in acne and I’ve gained maybe a couple pounds. Other than that, I feel completely normal on this! Don’t be terrified by these reviews, you’ll be okay. I’ll come back and update in a few months if I’ve started experiencing any side effects.”

lab · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2021

Larissia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Personally Larissia works very well for me. I've been on it for about 3 years now maybe even more and my acne is minimal, my weight is under control and I haven’t had trouble with weight gain. Also my periods are light rarely ever have a heavy flow and with the amount of times I've been sexually active with my partner I never have once worried about pregnancy and we don't use condoms and he doesn't pull out. I’m just being brutally honest I hope this helps some girls out there!”

FoxyRoxyy February 20, 2019

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “So I’ve been on Vienva for 4 months now. When I barely started this birth control I was scared and I searched it up on here, and I saw the horrible reviews. So I talked my friends about it, and they told me that people are MOST likely to review when they have a bad experience with something. And it’s true, because if you’re having a good time with a medication you don’t ever consider going and reviewing it. So I decided to give it a try at least for a couple of months. The first month, I experienced moodiness and headaches & nausea. I wasn’t surprised because I was taking hormones and that’s what hormones can do. My withdrawal bleeds are shorter (3-4 days instead of 5-7) my experience has been mostly positive! You never know until you try:) I hope I helped someone who’s about to start on birth control!”

Rachel January 25, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I’ve been taking Vienva for 3 weeks, almost 4 and it got to the point where I was supposed to start my period. They were already irregular and I got prescribed this from the pill club because I was tired of having 2 periods a month but this is not worth it. By the time I got to the peach pills my emotions have been through the roof. I cry over the smallest things and have the worst mood swings on it. If you’re going through the pill club like I did I recommend you go to a doctor that will prescribe you the right pill. It might be good for some people but the emotional effect on this is not worth it. I would rather be pregnant at this point. It made my cramps so much worse and they were already horrible to begin with. The pill club can eat my panini.”

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “The first birth control that I’ve been prescribed and no problems whatsoever. At first, I was skeptical because of the common side effects and the negative reviews, but this brand has made my periods shorter and lighter (and no babies haha). The only side effect I have gotten is my boobs growing in size, but I ain’t got a problem with that lmao. I would highly recommend giving it a try :) *I’ve been on it for a little over 3 months now*”

Freshness666 · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Hello, I am going to leave an unbiased review that will be factual without any biased because it's unfair to base it off of only personal feelings which will look very scary. I was on this for two months, this may or may not cause your feelings of negativity to sky-rocket. It did escalate my depression. It did make me more cranky and moody. It will make you cramp a bit. A bit of spotting which is normal. These are the side effects I have experienced. If it sounds scary then try a different brand but other than that you can just try to make yourself stronger mentally. I personally don't think it's the end of the world taking it. As for the effectiveness, it has not gotten me pregnant. It is doing an amazing job at doing what you want it to do, which is protect you from pregnancy. (a lot of people overlook and fail to acknowledge it's effectiveness)”

Annon. · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2020

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I've taken Aviane the past 5 years (I recently switched to using pillclub and they don't offer it that brand) and Vienva is the equivalent so I gave it a try. I love it. No side effects at all. No mood swings, weight gain, breakouts. I 100% recommend it.”

N · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “This Lutera is the first birth control pill I've ever been on so I can't compare my experience at all but personally I love this pill. I gained no weight, maybe at the beginning I was a little bloated for a week or two but it subsided naturally. The first month I had some veryyyy mild mood swings such as getting overly upset about trivial things, however I didn’t experience any serious depression or anxiety like how some others have expressed. I'm on my fourth pack now and the spotting is finally going away gradually. At the beginning it was really heavy but now its little to none. I experienced a little acne on my forehead and chin but I started taking magnesium and that went away almost entirely. This pill has not affected my sex drive at all either. (Also TMI possibly but my partner and I have gotten a little reckless in the bedroom and I can happily report my womb is still vacant so it works very well in my opinion)”

F February 14, 2020

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Lutera is the best BC I’ve ever used. I’ve been using it for over a year and it’s been amazing. No major side effects. The first couple weeks I did feel like it was causing my heart to beat really fast and I had minor stomach aches. But after that, everything was smooth sailing. No spotting. I’ve previously taken other BC pills that made me depressed, caused spotting, and gave me annoying blunt cramps every day except the placebo week. Literally a nightmare. But Lutera took away my period cramps completely and I only bleed for 2-3 days now. I’ve never really had bad acne but would usually get a pimple or 2 during PMS, but I haven’t had one pimple since I started on Lutera. No bloating, no impact to my sex drive. No period cramps. Clear skin. AND NO PREGNANCIES! I’ll probably take this pill for the rest of my life. Very satisfied”

Shay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2020

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on two previously prescribed birth control pills and it’s insane how terribly this Vienva birth control pioll has treated me. I honestly began to think everything was my fault when after actually researching the drug I saw that other women were having my problem. I have been spotting for six months straight and I am currently on a two week period. I can not describe the frustration and depression I am feeling right now. Intense migraines to the point where I can’t even open my eyes, depression, back pain, crazy emotions, insomnia. Oh yea and couldn’t even have a sex life due to the constant spotting. If by miracle I stopped for a week, I would get heavy spotting - light period for weeks after. This pill has taken away my happiness and confidence. I am in the process of being prescribed yet another and I hope all goes well.”

Ms. J October 25, 2008

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I first started taking Aviane in 2005 when Alesse was no longer offered. I loved it then and I love it now. I have no complaints about it. I recently started taking it again two months ago and it works the same. Little side effects. What I love best is I have not gained any weight as I have before on other pills. So before you listen to anyone else do your research and try it out for yourself. Hope this helps someone.”

Blossomcorvus · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “At first everything was fine, but then I realized I was even more anxious than usual (I have an anxiety disorder already) and then I was bloated. I can't fit into any of my jeans. Then, my period when it did come was super heavy. Blood clot heavy. I have aches and pains. I never have periods like this. I feel like utter crap. I'm stopping this med even though it's been a month or two. Back to my old birth control.”

mindeaser · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2013

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I would just like to state some things for anyone reading the negative reviews and getting worried, because these comments stressed me out for weeks. It is important to understand a couple things. For one, people who experience no negative side effects don't tend to write reviews, because they are so content with the product that they don't think about it. Secondly, all birth control pills affect each individual completely differently. What one person thinks is the best pill another will swear up and down it is the worst. If your doctor prescribes this pill for you, don't be too afraid to take it. Give it a chance and it may be great for you, as it was for me. If it's not, just stop taking it and find one that better suits your body.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “Like many others I have been on Norimin for 11 years. Due to covid I had to switch to Levlen and had the worst experience. I’ve become super anxious, the worst acne outbreaks on my chest, back and face. I rarely ever had any pimples and now have extremely painful ones that don’t seem to heal. I’ve gained close to 4kg and have started to get bad tummy pains and bloating.”

Karma · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I'm on my 3rd pack of Lutera and I haven't gotten pregnant, but I suffer from anxiety and depression and these pills have absolutely increased that by 10. My sex drive has plummeted and I’m unmotivated to the extent that I stay in my bed several days in row. I’ve also have been experiencing a lot of abnormal bleeding. Keep in mind that it is only my third month and everyone is different. The pill does the job of me not getting pregnant, but I am more concerned about my mental health at this point.”

Anonymous April 15, 2021

Larissia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I’ve been on Larrisa for over two years now, I started taking it when I was 17 because I had horrible periods ever since I started menstruating. I’ve had no side effects of any kind luckily because I know most women struggle to find a good birth control for them. My period has stayed regular and consistent( I track it), I actually lost weight when taking it going from 180 lbs to 140 in about a year, my diet didn’t change and I didn’t do any extra exercise I just lost weight. My periods are much more manageable now then they were before I started taking it, before I started it I had to miss school every month because I would be so sick and nauseous from the cramps. Now while I am on it my cramps can still be pretty bad usually on the first day on my cycle, I am able to still go to work and do my daily activities with some medication to help the pain.”

Sapphoox · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2021

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I (23, 115 lbs., no kids) have been on Lutera since I was seventeen because it has been the only birth control pill that doesn't give me insane mood swings, heavy bleeding, and constant general discomfort. I was placed on this pill after going months having a continuous period on Yaz until I collapsed and lost consciousness from the fatigue and anemia I experienced. The only negative side effect I have had over the last six years on Lutera is occasional breast tenderness around my period. Aside from that it has kept my skin clear, my hormones in check, and given me much more pleasant periods.”

t July 11, 2019

Lessina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I realized after trying about three different birth control pills I never really had side effects from any of them except for my first one which gave me acne. This pill cleared up all my acne and I realized to not trust the reviews on birth control websites because if you think about it the only time people are going to write a review about their birth control is if it’s not working for them. People don’t get on these websites to talk about how great they are for them. I’m not having any issues with Lessina as I’m sure most people are this birth-control is fine”

J · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2021

Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I saw a lot of negative reviews but gave it a go. I had a few headaches and crying spells; however, after my body adjusted I’m completely content. Don’t be too scared and try it once your period starts. I started to wear a pad after the brown discharge (breakthrough bleeding) started, but that’s the worst as it’s gotten. Expect some bloating, do your research, and stick with what your body accepts. Stay safe”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2012

Lybrel (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “No more periods. I started taking this after Seasonique. You absolutely must take it at the same time every day. I cannot believe that I suffered through horrible PMS and periods all of these years. I was actually pondering a voluntary complete hysterectomy it was getting so bad. Last week I was in my closet and stumbled across my stack of boxes of tampons and pads I used to need every month. Who knows how much money I spent every month. I am sad that I did not pursue this freedom much earlier. Some doctors may try to talk you out of your freedom for one reason or another. Do not give up! Get ready to live your life!”

Mollyoxodon July 14, 2014

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I was VERY wary about being switched to this birth control. I had been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 3 years without any problems, but then I started having breakthrough bleeding, and increased skin breakouts including lots of cystic acne. Doctor put me on Levora, & after reading a lot of reviews of side effects, I was super worried I'd end up with worse acne. It's been 4 months and I LOVE THIS PILL. My skin has never looked better. I didn't experience any emotional issues with the switch. My period is regular again, and lighter than it even was on the other pill. I barely get any cramps. I love it. If you're reading all these negative reviews, remember people are more likely to post negative experiences than positive ones.”

Anonymous June 10, 2010

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): “I have been on many different birth controls, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Yaz, Yasmin, Mercette, and this is by far the best. Initially when you start it the first few month you may experience breakthrough bleeding but this stops by month three. I usually take it around the same time everyday which prevents spotting. It has cleared up my skin for the most part besides that occasional pimple before my period. My mood swings are the best on this pill, and there is absolutely no weight gain or off balance of hormones where you feel the side effects of taking hormones. I recommend this birth control to anyone but just be patient with the adjustment it takes to get acclimated to your body.”