User Reviews for Yaz

Birth Control
5.8

Summary of Yaz reviews 6.4 487 reviews

Reviews for Yaz

For Acne "I have been on yaz for about two months now after switching from ortho tri-cyclen after a year of no serious acne improvement. After two weeks I noticed my acne calming down, and by the end of the month I was not getting any new spots. Its been two months now and my face is clear, I am just left with scarring but I feel AMAZING. The only downside is it has caused my breasts to feel very sore even when I’m not close to my period."

Lane (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

For Acne "I was on yaz from age 13-27 for endometriosis and am a healthcare provider. I have suffered with debilitating anxiety since age 13 which I just assumed was genetic and never even thought to associate with the hormones I was putting into my body daily. I spent years taking medications and missing very important life events due to my anxiety. The week after I decided to switch my birth control pill of over 14 years, my anxiety suddenly disappeared and has not returned (6 months so far with ZERO anxiety). This is not due to therapy or medications as I am no longer doing either of those. My life stressors are significantly greater now, and yet I have had ZERO anxiety. I am annoyed beyond reason that this medication was the cause of years and years of suffering. Though it helped my endo pain while I was on it, nothing can compare to the debilitating anxiety this caused me. I will never recommend this OCP to any of my patients with or without mental health predispositions."

T (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

"I started yaz for migraines associated with perimenopause, skipping placebo pills and using the monophasic pills all month, every month. I'm finishing year two now and switching to another (aubra), but not because I want to (Yaz is no longer covered by my insurance). Yaz side effects: my migraines are down to 1-2 month from 15-18, so that aspect has been a complete success; I've experienced other positive aspects: my anger has decreased substantially with this pill--it had become a problem it has now has helped funnel my anger into positive activities. Also, I have gained 2-3 pounds, but I'm also in my late 40s and still under 100 lbs, so that's probably good. I have always struggled with oily skin and moderate acne, but this pill has helped a bit; it's not a cure for my acne, but it has helped with the hormonal acne I used to get around my chin."

kbm1464 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2018

For Acne "I have been patiently waiting 4 long months to write my review after starting on Yaz. I'm taking it for acne. My acne got really bad after the birth of my son and I tried everything under the sun and read about yaz and decided to give it a try being my acne is mostly hormonal. My acne was very gross and I would say it was moderate. I'm on my fourth month of yaz and my acne is 80% better and I will take that!! The first month I think it just remained the same and maybe a very slight initial breakout but each month it's getting better and better. I actually take my pills right on to the next pack so I don't get a period and it's working out for me because most of my acne was prior to my period. Ladies just be patient. It's not going to be an over night fix."

Amanda Lynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

For Acne "I have been on birth control since I was 12, I know, young! But I had severe acne and was too young to be on Accutane. I was put on accurane then when I was 14 and my skin cleared up for about a year, and got really bad again. So I was on a birth control that worked okay, and when I was 15, a new doctor told me that the bc pill I was on, was not meant to treat acne, (but if actually was) and so they took me off. Anyway, last year, I was put on Yaz and I have had the worst time with it. I break out so badly and I have really bad depression. But the worst things about it are that I get so bloated, it’s so painful to stand or sit. And I get so nauseous and have the worst headaches right before bed. I swear I have only had 2 headaches in my life before I was on Yaz, and now I have them EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I want to be off it so badly, but I have to wait 2 more weeks until I meet with a different doctor, hoping to be put on a different pill. I would not recommend this to anybody at all"

sucks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "DO NOT RECOMMEND. I switched from the standard pill to Yaz due to intense breast tenderness. After taking Yaz, my breasts went from a 12DD to a 12F - none of my clothes fit me and everything is uncomfortable. I experienced bleeding for several weeks, and severe cramping that made me bedridden. My doctor said I would take up to 3 months for it to kick into my system - I took it for 5 months and still the same result. I have switched back to the normal pill, guess I'll just have to cope with the tender breasts!"

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

For Acne "DEFINITELY WOULD RECOMMEND TO PEOPLE WITH THE SAME ISSUES!!! I started 5 months ago. I used to have cystic acne all over my face, particularly cheeks and neck, with painful periods lasting a week (endo?) Acne wise: First 3 months, skin started getting worse. Everything was worth it though, as when the 3rd month ended and I started my 4th packet, my skin cleared up almost overnight. Still get a few pimples here and there, but nothing like I used to Period wise: Started my first pack on my period, resulted in a month-long period. Then skipped my period to see if that would end it, but it resulted in another month of having my period. The only reason why I rated this a 9 is because of this, but it is most likely my mistake or due to an underlying health condition. After the 2nd month, I didn't skip my period, and my periods after that have been 3 days long and have only needed a liner. Really light pain, nothing like before. No change in mood :)"

Yaz!!! June 8, 2018

For Acne "All side effects (headache, nausea, crazy emotions, spotting) went away after my first month on Yaz. I saw improvement in my skin after just a week and my skin was completely clear after 4 months. I didn’t gain any weight but the only thing is that I am alwaaaays thirsty. I would recommend this pill to everyone who is struggling with acne."

Gia (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Yaz is my 5th pill I have tried as a form of contraception & I have been really happy with it, I have more energy, I don't get bad mood swings in comparison to the others I've tried, my nails are longer & stronger, I am now losing weight before hand I found it hard to even though I was eating well & going to gym. However, the sugar pills (period ones) lower my appetite & if I eat too much I get really stomach cramps & last night I got bad constipation. My period is so much lighter though & I haven't ever had bad skin but it's still the same which is good. I personally rather have cramps than to argue & cry to anyone who is close to me, I got so scared sometimes on the other pills & thought that my boyfriend & I were going to break up as I'd get mad or sad at him for no reason. Yaz is my favourite & I won't be switching any time soon"

Sophie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

For Acne "MIRACLE! I am 23 years old and started to have acne at the age of 21. It's been 3 months since I've started the pill... and trust me, I couldn't be happier!!!!!!! No more acne, no more oil/shine on my face, no side effects and my periods are super light (for 2 days MAX.) I love it!!!! It changed my life!!! Really."

Isabourinx (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

For Acne "I've been taking Yaz for my severe cystic acne for more than a year now and it’s my favorite pill by far and I’ve tried so many pills. It reduces my skin and scalp oil production and I rarely get pimples. Side effects are none to minimal: no bad moods, no bloating, no hair loss, no foggy brain or fatigue. I feel like myself. The most weight I’ve gained is 3 pounds. Actually Yaz has helped me shed water weight from my previous pill because it makes me pee more often. My body looks more toned now. I was hesitant to try Yaz because it poses a high risk for blood clots. If you’re thinking of trying Yaz or Yasmin, definitely get blood tests to see if you’re at risk for blood clots. I’m taking a natural supplement which is the most potent blood thinner you can find without a prescription. I believe because of this, I can safely take Yaz without any problems."

SquareEgg May 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Con: Yaz has mimicked my pregnancy symptoms completely. From the nausea, to the bloat, the super sore breasts, to the dark spots on my face Pro: It made my periods super manageable, light and pretty painless. So you get the one week of not feeling terrible and the rest of the month feeling awful."

Hillary May 6, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I started taking Yaz about 6 months ago. I suffer from very severe and painful PMDD & periods (I bloat for like 10 days before my period), have had a fibroid removed, ovarian cyst ruptures etc etc (just bad luck overall with my reproductive system). Docs have put me on a lot of pills in the past. I have to say Yaz is the only pill that has ever helped with my physical symptoms. But, it has also had the most crippling effect on my mental health. I've experienced sadness, anxiety, hopelessness and worthlessness like never before. I cry at the drop of a hat (not normal for me), I can't focus (and I'm in grad school), if my boyfriend doesn't text me back for a couple hours I'm basically on my death bed. It's crazy. I really thought I was going super crazy but I'm pretty sure it's this pill. I'm going to see a doc about it to see what they have to say. It sucks what we have to go through - choosing between pain and discomfort or damaged emotional health!"

C April 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I was prescribed Yaz 2.5 years ago to help treat my PMDD and help clear my acne. For the first year I found Yaz great. I no longer got PMS symptoms, my periods were lighter, my skin was the clearest it's ever been in my life. I didn't experience any weight gain either. However, these past 12 months I have noticed a drastic change in my mood. I became depressed, suffering extreme anxiety, and lost complete motivation and passion for life. I cry easily, I feel helpless, I have less self esteem, I feel more nervous around people, I'm constantly tired and lacking energy. I used to go to the gym 7 days a week but now I can't even force myself to leave the house. I'm completely opposite to the person I was when I wasn't taking the pill. I experience constant yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. I decided to stop taking Yaz and am hoping I will go back to being the person I was before I used this pill. Please please do your research before taking this pill!!"

Taylor April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I have horrible headaches everyday. Extreme moodiness & sometimes it doesn’t give me my period. It makes me cramp horribly and stay in pain everyday. I’m giving it a 3/10 because it did clear my face up a lot. This birth control constantly has me stressed out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2018

For Acne "I have been on this pill for around 4 months and my skin has been better than its ever been before. I'm 18, but ever since I was in the fifth grade I have suffered with gross cystic acne. I have tried many sorts of topical creams and another version of birthcontrol (ortho tri cyclen), but yaz has done the most so far. I have had slight weight loss, my sex drive was boosted, and my skin has felt much clearer (with the exception of one breakout). I have not noticed any of the bad side effects people keep talking about, the only thing I have noticed was dry hands. If your skeptical about yaz, DONT BE!"

Friendly (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I took YAZ in college and never had any issues with anxiety, depression, and anger. Well now I realize why.....I was on YAZ. Now in my thirties, I have struggled with PMDD for over five years. Finally decided to go back to YAZ to relieve my symptoms and its effective. My first month was easy, I felt a difference immediately. Now on my second month, I have some bleeding and noticed my hormones are up and down towards the end of the pack. Looking forward to my third month, hopefully the light bleeding with stop."

Sharon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to yaz after trying traditional pills that caused me to break out in acne because of the increase in male androgen hormones. Yaz helped my skin but gave me terrible migraines so I had to stop it."

Lpb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking yaz for a few months now and each month my anxiety, depression and dependence on my bf has gotten worst. I thought I was just being a psycho until I read these reviews. Like I’d get so jealous and tell him off and I couldn’t figure out why because I’m usually not this person. I’m very easygoing and he’s trustworthy. Don’t do it. Find another birth control. I’m done taking this as of today."

BB8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Yaz for 6 years now and I cannot relate to most of the posts on here. I've had a great experience with it. My skin is clear, my hair growth reduced and I have not gotten pregnant - yay! Moodiness is here and there but I had that before the pill, we're hormonal after all! Great birth control overall, I would recommend."

Pp (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2018

For Acne "I have taken Yaz for almost a year now. I don't know what's a normal response to birth control pills as it was my first kind. I took it to clear up my acne and lessen my cramps. During my first 2-3 months, I did experience extreme jealousy and potentially mild depression from it. My acne was the same as before, about 2-3 pimples at a time. I had no weight gain from taking Yaz at all and did not become nauseous. I had a nurse friend tell me it takes time for the body to adjust to the pill so I kept with it until it was time to see the doctor again. By the 4th month, I had clear skin and cramps were indeed lessened. I don't feel anymore depression and major jealousy (just the normal amount of jealousy). Still no weight gain either. I think I've only had one pimple since then. Yaz isn't for everyone and it could take a few months for the results to show. But be sure to do your research and tell your doctor if things don't seem normal."

Aminity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2018

For Acne "I'm 19 and never suffered from bad acne even in my early teenage years. When I became sexually active I went on Levlen and that was fine for about 3 years then I started to get some of the worst cystic acne on my chin (hormonal) so I knew it was Levlen. I went to my doctor and got Yaz, I was terrified of some of the side effects people we're talking about but I was pleasantly surprised, I've been on it 2 weeks and so far it's cleared my skin COMPLETELY already (left with scars and redness, a few little pimples but no cystic huge ones) my mood has never been this stable and I've never been this happy, my skin feels softer too. All medications have side effects, this one is worth the risk for the benefits I feel like a new woman. It's not covered by the PBS (medicare) in Australia so its $70 for 3 months supply but thats a small price to pay for my self confidence back. A miracle drug."

Heather (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

For Birth Control "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE YAZ! After 4/5 days I had a huge emotional break down. I hadn’t cried that hard in months. It was not something to get so worked up about. 2 days later I had one of the worse panic attacks I’ve ever experienced. It was absolutely terrorizing. Why the hell is this drug even available? Those are the just the extreme side effects. Please don’t risk your life! I’m also worried I could have a blood clot due to medicine."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Acne "My skin had been bad with constant moderate acne and cyst breakouts before my period. I was put on Sprintec by my gynecologist to help control my acne which did absolutely nothing. I stuck it out for 3 months as recommended but there was no change in my skin. Therefore, she recommended that I try YAZ. I was very skeptical about starting it because I read so many bad reviews about side effects and worsening acne, but I had no other option so I give it a shot. The first 2-3 weeks gave me an initial breakout, but I'm now 2 months in and my skin has never been this clear in my life. I currently have my period and don't have one pimple on my face. I wanted to share my experience because I think many people look up reviews before starting birth control and the negative reviews convince people not to try it. But keep in mind that most people who write reviews are the very small percentage of people who experienced side effects."

--- February 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I was 17 when I was prescribed Yaz, primarily as a birth control but also to clear up my skin. I was only on it for 11 days and had to stop taking it because I would wake up with really large pimples under my skin, causing pain and very low self esteem. It made my skin much worse when it was intended to clear it up. I was crying because of how painful my face had become. I had my first panic attack and would often become overly emotional and unstable, lashing out at my partner out of random (which was very out of character for me). I saw other reviews which said that Yaz had caused meltdowns and panic attacks, and I thought it would not happen to me. I was so wrong. Although I did not get pregnant, I would not recommend Yaz at all."

rammsteiner (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018