User Reviews for Yaz

Yaz has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 747 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of those users who reviewed Yaz reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder   7.2
Acne   6.8
Birth Control   5.1
Summary of Yaz reviews 5.9 747 reviews

Reviews for Yaz

Sarah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “I loved Yaz. Never had any problems with it and I love how it only has 4 off days which allowed me to skip my period by starting a new pack on vacation :) so we love that. I recommend this one.”

Noelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Acne: “I've been on Yaz for about 5 months now and am going onto my 6th month. I have been on my period for a month now with very heavy bleeding and my acne is getting worse. I originally got on this birth control to help my acne and its done nothing but make my acne 10x worse than what it already was. My hormonal acne has never been this bad. When I called to get my birth control switched they told me no and to wait the 6 months to see if anything changes but they told me that my acne was only going to take 3 months to clear up.”

lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

For Birth Control: “Honestly I was quite scared to start taking the birth control pill for the first time after reading so many bad reviews and hearing all these horror stories about it. But I have to say although I've only been on it for 2 months I've had almost no side effects at all. Only on the first few days I was a bit nauseas and my breasts were tender but besides that its been smooth sailing. No emotional changes, no weight gain, nothing. So don't let bad reviews about it get to you and give it a try, everybody has a different reaction to it.”

Anonymous February 16, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started taking it to regulate my period a year ago and it has been a rollercoaster of a year. About 5 months after taking it my mood swings started to get really bad, I always had headaches, my cramps were bad, and started to have symptoms of anxiety and depression. I used to be so full of energy and always happy, now my mood swings are 24/7 and I have 0 energy whatsoever. Definitely going to switch birth control pills. I don't recommend YAZ.”

Clair February 11, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started Yaz for my PMDD, first it was pretty normal, nausea, headache and sore boobs. Then the second week hit and I completely lost my appetite, lost all sex drive and felt awful mentally and emotionally. I would feel depressed and anxious right when I woke up and would have breakdowns everyday in the middle of the day. Once night time came I felt numb and lazy. My PMDD wasn’t good before getting on Yaz but it was at least manageable. I felt like my reality changed, I didn’t feel normal. I didn’t get my period while on it. I called my doctor to see if these symptoms will persist and she suggested I wait a couple months because my symptoms were normal...but later that day I had a panic attack and decided to get off ASAP. It’s been 3 days since I stopped (was on it for exactly two weeks) and I feel slight relief knowing it was the Yaz that made me feel so awful but I still have the bad thoughts and anxiety and my appetite isn’t back. Hoping I feel normal again soon”

Kikeyi25 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Hi, girls I thought it would be useful to update you about my life on Yaz (see September 25). I decided to quit Yaz, after my mood being greatly affected. I've always been an anxious person, but I believe this medication made me paranoid and extremely emotional. I would literally cry watching my toaster do its thing. My libido dropped off completely as well. This for me was a shame, since once the 3 month mark had arrived, I felt like everything had fallen into place: no acne, no mood swings, stability, weight was going down, etc. However, after month 5 everything shifted and my body just seemed to not like it anymore. I was SO paranoid. I was even sure someone had installed cameras in my apartment lol. Anyway, its a shame I couldn't continue in it, because it did help a lot with the acne and the hair, but those really are minor when you compare it to bot being able to leave your place.”

sandra February 2, 2021

“I'll share my experience. I have been on this pill for 3 months now, on my 3rd day of the 3rd pack. It definitely cleared up my skin on the very first month and it's consistent to this day. Also, it has wiped the painful cramps. My boobs got a full cup bigger and I did notice that my hips widened a bit, but no biggie. As a birth control, it's effective. On my 2nd pack, I bled for 5 days. However, on my 3rd pack now, I only experienced 2 days of bleeding. My 1st pack's on a Sunday, which is also the 1st day of my period, and on the 3rd pack, I started on the same day and the bleeding came on the last placebo pill. I am alarmed as to why I only bled for 2 days. IT HAS NEVER happened to me. I'm consistent in taking the active pills at the same time each night. I never missed an active pill nor took one very late. I want to know if there's anyone who experienced the same thing? Does anyone of you here bleed for 2 or 3 days while on Yaz? I will really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!”

Abigail J February 1, 2021

For Acne: “Before taking Yaz, like most people, I came on here and spent hours reading reviews. Per usual, I freaked myself out. You have to remember is that birth control effects every single person differently. You will not know how this medication will work for you until you try it. I'm 21 and have always had breakouts but they became cystic when I started college. I have done everything from dermatologist prescribed topical creams to changing my diet, and revamping my skincare routine. Literally nothing worked. I am now on the start of my 3rd month of Yaz. The only side effect symptoms I have had are nausea and breast tenderness, which are both manageable. As of this week, my skin is finally starting to clear up. Any breakouts seem to be small and manageable. I really hope that this is not a temporary thing (my skin sometimes has good days and tricks me into thinking my acne is gone). I would say anyone considering trying this definitely should!”

Ri · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

For Acne: “Gave it 3 months and YAZ cleared my skin up so much. I didn’t notice a difference until the 3rd month, give it some time. I’m on an emotional rollercoaster due to the pill though.”

Takingabreak · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I've been on a birth control journey for four years now, and after having issues with previous birth control methods my doctor decided to have me try Yaz. At first I was excited because my doctor had also told me that I probably have PMDD, and Yaz is supposed to help with that (as well as my hormonal acne flair ups). The first few months were ok, however in month 6 of taking Yaz I essentially had a mental breakdown like I've never had before. Then in month 7 I had two breaks downs, two weeks apart. At that point I decided to quit taking my birth control altogether and see if it helped. It's been two months now since I haven't taken ANY birth control, and the difference to me is night and day. Only time will tell if I can truly attribute my breakdowns to Yaz, but I just feel so much more "normal" off of it. My anxiety has gone down, I don't feel so depressed/suicidal and I feel more social. I'm hoping I can eventually find a method that will finally work for me.”

Stovers · Taken for 10 years or more February 1, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started taking this pill when I was 14 to help regulate my periods and to be prepared when becoming sexually active. Fast forward to now, I’m 24, and have quit taking it altogether due to severe depression and anxiety. Reflecting back, I didn’t have any depression or anxiety symptoms prior to starting this medication. I read recently (within the past few years) that this birth control in particular can make depression and anxiety worse or start it up - so I quit taking it for awhile as a trial run and felt TREMENDOUSLY better. I was happy again and didn’t have mood swings like I’ve had for years (I’m also on antidepressants and anxiolytics if that tells you anything). After a few months, I restarted it and the same depressive and anxious episodes returned. I’m not sure if every birth control does this, but I do not recommend this one for the sole fact of maintaining mental sanity (depression, anxiety, intrusive thoughts).”

Anonymous January 30, 2021

For Birth Control: “Yaz was fine at the start for the first 3-4 months but after that I’ve been having the worst headaches, I feel constantly low which has never been an issue before in my life. My eczema began to flare up extremely bad and I’ve had tonsillitis 3 times, an ear infection, styes in my eye due to a weakened immune system all within the time period of 6 months. The only positive is my skin which has been completely cleared.”

Kenny96 · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

For Acne: “Hi! I’ve been reading these reviews nonstop since I started taking Yaz. I’m on my third week taking Yaz and it has broken me out quite badly. Granted I have done Accutane three times and my skin was absolutely perfect before I started taking Yaz because of Accutane so I’m almost positive that my flare up is because of Yaz. I also started spotting yesterday but it was a brown color as opposed to red and it went away last night. I have also experienced some uterus pain similar to period cramps. I went on Yaz for my period because I typically have an INSANELY heavy period that last for 6-7 days and is just super unenjoyable. I’ve read so many reviews telling me to wait 2-3 months until my body regulates to the hormones so I’m going to be patient and give it time! Trying to stay positive and wishing luck to everyone else!!! We’ve got this!! I’m going to report back in a few weeks and hopefully my skin is back to being perfect as it was before I started taking Yaz!”

vanessa nugyen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2021

For Acne: “I have had pimples for years now, and I was on aldactone (150mg) and doxycycline (100mg) and I decided they weren’t working for me and stopped taking them. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. My face broke out more than I ever have and I was left with painful cystic acne all over my face. It was unreal. My dermatologist told me it’s time I give Yaz a try (I had been avoiding it because of the reviews) and I am just starting months 3 and I have definitely seen a difference. I was super hopeful this would work and my forehead has absolutely nothing but scaring on it. My cheeks still have pimples but I feel so much more confident wearing makeup and I don’t have pimples that are piled on each other anymore. I do have to give credit to hydrocolid bandages (bandaid brand) because those REALLY helped to get rid of stubborn white heads that kept refilling. O am definitely a lot more angry all the time but I can't fully blame it on the pill.”

Cassie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 28, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on YAZ for three years now and it works really well for me, I don’t think it’s changed me much emotionally/mentally but also hard to say because I have been struggling the past 3 years... so that is sus. My boobs went up a whole cup size but eventually went back to normal. Periods are regular no breakthrough and it does help with my acne, I still get pimples but not big cystic ones like I used to. I think it widened my hips too. I want to go off of it soon, If I do I will be able to tell you what was really side effects and what wasn’t (:”

BC1000 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “I decided to switch from Dianette to Yaz after doing research and heard Yaz was good for acne and Dianette was making me extremely depressed and having random bursts of sadness and crying for no reason. I have been taking Yaz for 10 months and although it did help to clear my acne, for the last 3 months I have not been myself, feel lower than I ever have before and my anxiety is crippling. It makes me not even want to get out of bed most days and has made me so unmotivated. My cramps are worse than ever before and have a constant headache throughout my 'period'. I am coming off this pill for a while and will then try the minipill (progestin only).”

Anonymous January 22, 2021

For Acne: “After reading these reviews I felt obligated to record and share my experience with Yaz. I am in my late 20's and around a year ago I started breaking out with the worst acne I had ever had (black heads, whiteheads and blind ones). I usually did not get pimples in my teens so I took this very hard. I felt down all the time. I tried changing my diet, and took antibiotics, which helped but not long term. My doctor prescribed me Yaz in combination with a topical acne cream, which I use as a spot treatment. I have been using these medications for two months and am so pleased to say that my acne has cleared considerably and as a result my mood is sooo much better because I'm not feeling embarrassed for having acne anymore. I have not gained weight but my boobs feel bigger and not experiencing any really bad side effects. In regards to the acne I am also using a different skin care routine which I think has also helped and have been taking vitamins for my gut health.”

Ihateyaz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 21, 2021

For Birth Control: “I first started YAZ a year ago, and loved it. It helped my acne and I didn’t have any issues. I ran out and was unable to get more for a few months. I started it again a month ago and the depression and anxiety has been so bad. I did not experience this the first time and I’m going to be looking for another form of birth control. The panic attacks and intrusive thoughts are not worth it.”

lexie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For Acne: “I’m in the middle of my fourth Yaz pack right now and I wish I was seeing the acne clearing effects more. Most sources say by 2-3 months you should start seeing your skin improve and by month 6 you should really see them so I’m not gonna quit it yet. I still wanna see if it will help my acne. The first month I had my period for a month straight, it was light but I still had cramps and stuff so that wasn’t fun. My boobs got bigger, biggest during the 2-3rd month and then they’ve gone down slightly so far through the 4th month. Other than that no weight gain. I have been more depressed and emotional lately so that’s kinda a bummer but my skins been slightly better. Some redness has gone away and I definitely get fewer pimples but I still get some, hopefully it will be better by month 6 and on. So far it’s just not good not bad just eh”

A · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this pill for 5 years now (I’m 19). Never experienced any change in my mood or emotions. It cleared up the small amount of acne that I had and it did not make me gain weight. The only bad side effect I have noticed is that my hair has become thinner (that could be caused by something else but I can’t think of anything else). Over all I like it but this is the only pill I have tried.”

Hex January 16, 2021

For Birth Control: “This is month 2 of Yaz. 1 year ago I was on Yaz for 9 months roughly and I had experienced heavy breakthrough bleeding, very painful cramps, and at one point it got so bad I felt I had miscarried. I hadn't but the blood was pouring out of me in gushes. Far worse than my regular heavy period. After a while it levelled out and I stopped getting my period even on my "off" days. My blood tests were normal and so was my ultrasound. After a while I went off them to try and get pregnant but never did. Periods came back the same as before and decided to try Yaz again. So back to month 2 now of yaz and I'm still on my period. I has not stopped since before I went on Yaz. (Total 4 months on period) painful cramping has started again I'm exhausted all the time, moody, in pain and I'm going to talk to my doctor about switching BC. Cannot keep living like this esp since my bleeding wont stop. Horrible pain makes me want to cry and sleep all day. 1/10 stay away from yaz”

Kay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Yaz for about 8 months, it works perfectly but about one day a month, it gives me manic depression and I’m emotional for no reason. I figured I could take one bad day a month but it has gotten severely worse and gives me suicidal thoughts. I’ve never ever experienced any form of depression before. I’m actually happy in my life but this makes me feel so low.”

SkinnyPCOS January 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have just completed my first month on Yaz and may update my review. I was a bit annoyed when my doctor prescribed Yaz to me because "that's what she prescribes to all her PCOS patients" - but I don't struggle with the typical PCOS problems like excess hair and acne, and I was worried about the potential side effects. In summary, it's only been a month, but I can't say that I have observed any definite side effects - my emotions, acne, etc, are all within the normal range of what I would expect for my current circumstances. Re: libido, while I might be a bit drier, I was using condoms before and not having to use those more than makes up for it. One thing I did notice was that during the first couple of weeks I was waking up at around 2 AM feeling slightly off and struggling to get to sleep, but that seems to have gone away. As far as the positive effects, I haven't noticed any difference; acne is slightly worse than average but within the range of normal, no difference in body hair.”

User · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2021

For Acne: “The worst pill ever, it made me breakout so bad. My skin used to be perfect, if I knew what it was going to do to me after I would have NEVER taken it. A whole year later and I’m still suffering with more acne than I’ve ever had before.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

For Acne: “I’ve been on Yaz for almost 2 months now. I was hoping it would clear my skin up and help me with my cystic acne, but I’m not sure. I usually get pimples 2 weeks before my period, so obviously I broke out the 2 weeks before hand. But before that I felt like my skin was getting a little better. I definitely am still getting break outs tho. I’m getting my period tomorrow and I got a few more pimples coming in, as well as this one pimple on my chin that will NOT go away. I haven’t noticed any weight gain, or depression, but my boobs definitely got bigger lol. I’m gonna do another update after month 3. I hope it will finally kick in but I guess we will see:/”