User Reviews for Yaz

Yaz has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 849 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Birth Control
7.1
Summary of Yaz reviews 5.9 849 reviews

Reviews for Yaz

paulaaaa123 · July 2, 2020

For Acne: “I’m writing this review because I drove myself crazy reading reviews basically every single night when I first started taking Yaz and I’d love to help out whoever might be doing the same.I always had relatively clear skin but a few months ago,I started getting hormonal cystic pimples. So I decided to go on Yaz. The first month was a little hard I’m not gonna lie. I felt “down” most of the time & I also broke out a whole lot in the first month which didn’t help my mental state at all. But I remained confident that Yaz would clear up my skin. As soon as I started my second pack, things fell into place. My mood swings are gone, I don't cry everyday & for the first time in my life I can say I have 150% clear skin(& no problematic skin)I've lost more than 15 lbs, my boobs went from 34B to 34D & I'm healthier than ever. All this to say: things might get worse before they get better but in the long run, it DID pay off for me and I hope it will for you too.”

Ryry · May 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “I actually sought out user reviews to see if anyone else was benefiting as much as I am from this medication. I have bounced between Yaz and Lo lo esterin since I was 14 or 15. I am 22 now. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yaz besides the spotting. The spotting can be annoying and as a teenager I became anemic because of it. However, at 22 years old and with a much healthier diet, Yaz has been absolutely amazing. Lo lo esterin made me quite angry/have mood swings and would make me lose my breast tissue if I lost weight. On Yaz, my boobs have stayed despite dropping 15 lbs while taking it. I don't have angry mood swings when I take Yaz. My skin gets insanely clear when I take Yaz. My hair grows faster and thicker when I take Yaz (compared to Lo lo esterin). My sex drive is extremely high when I am on Yaz. I actually experience a lower sex drive when taking Loloesterin.”

Nini · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 20, 2021

For Acne: “Two months ago I was on this page because I was crying every night looking myself at the mirror for my horrible cystic acne. I was on my second pack of Yaz by then. I’m now on my 4th pack and I just wanna tell to anyone who’s planning to give up on this pill (because it might feel like it’s not doing your skin any good), to please hold on and continue! It will get better I promise! Your hormones just need adjusting to this medication. It will get better. Trust me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years · February 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been on Yaz for 7 years starting when I went to college. I had been struggling with acne and excess hair. My periods at this time were a good 8 days of bleeding. When I started taking Yaz... nothing negative happened. My acne slowly got better and my body hair decreased. My periods also decreased to around 5 days and were generally less crampy and I lost less blood. Literally no bad side effects. You can also skip or move your periods if you are going on vacation. The only reason I'm looking into switching to an IUD is because its less work than taking a pill everyday. A lot of these reviews are bad because of selection bias. I'm sure there are tons of stories like mine but because they are so mundane, people don't share them.”

BB · February 27, 2021

For Acne: “I always said if I found a miracle cure to my acne, I would get online and write a review. This is the one. I'm 27, and have had acne since I was 11. My skin has never been completely clear until now. I've done Accutane (which did help, it reduced my acne in half and gave me more balanced skin), Spironolactone (helped, but my skin was never completely clear and it messed up my periods), Ortho Tri Cyclen (another b/c, didn't help), Tretinoin Cream, Differin, and just about every store bought or natural solution you can think of. My dermatologist literally told me, "Oh, so you've done it all." As other reviews stated, give it 3 months. That's when my skin cleared, and I've been 100% clear for 2 months now. I'd say more but there's a character limit. It's incredible.”

SarahB · July 20, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I went on Yaz to treat my PMDD and I also suffered from irregular periods for five years after having amenorrhea for approx. 7 years. I wish I’d gone on Yaz years ago! It took going on this medication to realise that a lot of my issues and health complaints were caused by my hormonal imbalance, which I chose to ignore for over a decade. I am way less moody and irritable, less anxious, less fatigued, don’t get massive food cravings and hunger spells, feel the cold less (I used to always be cold), am more clear headed, and experience less negative emotions, such as hostility and jealousy. An initial downside for me was that my boobs went up a size. I really liked my small non-painful boobs. However, I’m learning to love my new size and after finally buying some new bras I am content. It also took some time for my body to adjust, e.g. experienced low-level nausea and spotting. However this did eventually end.”

All Smiles · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 23, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I’m 40 years old and have been suffering for PPMD forever. Once upon time I was on one of those low dose pills that had the worst side effects. Stopped taking birth control for years and went on anti depressants which have their own set of side effects. Went to my old gyn doctor she said change your diet and didn’t really care. My new doc suggested Yaz, and my goodness the first month has been amazing!!! I don’t want to kill anyone anymore, I’m not fatigued to the point where I can’t get out of bed, my joints don’t hurt, I’m not depressed, and I don’t have to miss work. My skin isn’t amazingly clear but has cleared up some and my breast are much fuller now which is fine with me because they were starting to become flat anyway. I wish I stared Yaz years ago!!!”

lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 17, 2021

For Birth Control: “Honestly I was quite scared to start taking the birth control pill for the first time after reading so many bad reviews and hearing all these horror stories about it. But I have to say although I've only been on it for 2 months I've had almost no side effects at all. Only on the first few days I was a bit nauseas and my breasts were tender but besides that its been smooth sailing. No emotional changes, no weight gain, nothing. So don't let bad reviews about it get to you and give it a try, everybody has a different reaction to it.”

... · February 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “Please be careful with this pill it has ruined my life I was on it for just over a week and it has caused me to have a psychotic break I have never had issues with mental health just a little anxiety but nothing I needed help for it’s just common things like crowds did I say the wrong thing in that conversation a so on but now I am having intrusive thoughts more panic attacks then I can count and I am the lowest I have ever felt In my life I have gone from a happy loving person looking forward to her wedding in 10 weeks to someone who doesn’t even know who I am anymore PLEAE BE CAREFUL!!! ”

AC · January 29, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I’m here to leave a positive review, because all of the negative reviews might scare people from trying this birth control. I tried 5 other pills, the ring, and an IUD, and out of all of these the Yaz has had the least side effects. It helps keep my skin a little clearer, I actually lost weight while on it, and it helped my PMDD (which for me was inconsolable sadness and rage). It didn’t make it go away, but it absolutely took the edge off. I used to have 2.5 weeks of PMDD symptoms, now I just get kinda sad for 2 days before my period. The only reason I’m not rating it 10 is because I think it makes me a little more emotional/sentimental (crying at videos of kittens, which I did) but I’d rather be weepy over cute animals than raging out on my loved ones. I recently switched to another method, and switched right back to Yaz without finishing the month. Every body is totally different. I’m in my 30’s with PMDD and acne, and Yaz helps. I get the generic version at my pharmacy for $18.00.”

Storm with skin · Taken for less than 1 month · June 11, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was quite sceptic before I started using Yaz pill especially because I read a lot of bad reviews. Also risk of developing blood clot was concerning. It has been one month that I am on pill and I have to say I am so happy I found out about this pill. As someone who is suffering from PMDD Yaz is life saver! I had really bad symptoms before my period, depression, anger, anxiety, I would scream when talking to my family members, I felt so miserable, I would have huge food cravings. Now, I feel much better, I feel in peace with myself!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve taken this Yaz pill for about 2 months and I’m going off of it now. The anxiety and depression that came with this were not worth it. Sometimes, it came at the end of the pack, but I had terrible emotional problems all month long. I would cry for no reason, have multiple panic attacks a day, and have way too many self deprecating thoughts. I’ve never had problems with periods before (no mood swings, cramps, bloating) but after starting this, I’ve experienced all of those. It’s been difficult to find a birth control pill that doesn’t come with emotional problems warranting antidepressants. I don’t know if I’ll ever find one.”

Bg · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 4, 2020

For Acne: “I have been on YAZ for almost three years now. When I first started on birth control I was on Alesse but it didn’t help with my moderate acne so I was prescribed YAZ. it has been almost three years and my acne has not changed at all - I have tiny skin coloured bumps all over my chin and then get whiteheads on my chin and around my mouth. I don’t have any other side effects and it has worked well for preventing pregnancy but has not helped my skin at all. Anyone else experienced this?”

L · February 6, 2020

For Acne: “3 months ago I was scrolling through the comments on this website in hopes of finding hope for my hormonal cystic acne. I was diagnosed with PCOS after going to various doctors for my horrible acne that was painful, all over my jawline and especially my chin. It scarred horribly and took forever to go away. I was then prescribed Yaz. When I first started, I could count for 10-20 cysts on my face. 3 months later, I don’t even have 1 active cyst on my face. The only reason I’m not giving this a 10/10 is the first month was terrible. I was constantly nauseous and even threw up a few times. It also caused an initial breakout that was worse than anything I experienced before (even tho my doctor insisted it wouldn’t get worse.) Besides that initial purge and nausea - I don’t have anything but good things to say. I’m finally getting my confidence back with clearer skin. This was amazing for me. I hope it works for you as well.”

Life changing · Taken for 1 to 2 years · November 13, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I have suffered extreme PMS all my life but didn’t know what it was. When I was in my late teens I was on Yaz for polycystic ovaries and then one day the doctor said we don’t prescribe that pill anymore and gave me microgynon well that was it years of feeling crazy and depressed. I had lots of failed relationships I was bat crazy. I eventually got a new doctor who gave me Yaz again and things changed. I fell pregnant twice on Yaz and have two beautiful boys after that they refused to give it to me so roll on another 10 years of trying everything. My husband even had the snip so I didn’t have to take anything. I was watching the TV a year and a half ago and they were talking about PMDD as a disorder and I said OMG that is me. Lots of research and I eventually got Yaz again. Didn’t want to give it as I was obese and over 35 but begged. Yes I get sore heavy breasts, but for the first time in 10 years I’ve lost weight, I feel happy and my life is completely normal.”

lisssabel17 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 31, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I have had severe PMDD for 3 years and I resisted hormonal birth control until I was having psychotic breaks every 2 weeks. It was destroying me and was extremely difficult and painful for my husband as well. I went on an antidepressant (Lexapro), which helped throughout the month, but was not powerful enough to prevent me from having crying spells and severe dips in mood around my period. I finally gave Yaz (a generic of it) a go. The first week was awful. It was like having a milder version of PMDD for 7 days. I had crying spells and low mood the entire week. Literally the day I was going to stop taking Yaz, I started feeling normal again, and have been feeling normal ever since. I feel emotionally strong and balanced again for the ENTIRE month, like I haven't in years. This little pill has given me my life back. Looking back at myself without Yaz makes me sad, but I have come out on the other side stronger and with more empathy. No one should have to go through the pain of PMDD.”

bellavera · August 16, 2009

For Birth Control: “I just want to say thank you to all those who took time to write positive things about Yaz. I did a lot of research before taking the pill and frankly, it scared me. So many complaints and horror stories. The most important things to remember is that we all react to substances/hormones in different ways. I'm 35 and haven't taken the pill since I was 20. I am on my 4th pack of Yaz and am very pleased. I had a little spotting in the first two months and stomach discomfort, especially when I forget a pill. Aside from that, I've lost weight and stay slim even when not active, my breasts have gone up a full size which I love. My sex drive is fine, if not greater, no change in moods. Good luck to all.”

Acne but hopeful · August 3, 2020

For Acne: “Since I’m spending so much time reading through reviews on this page I thought I would add in my experience from this pill! I am currently halfway through my second pack of a random generic for Yaz. Like a lot of you my doc put me on this pill to help reduce acne (I tend towards blackheads, close comedones, as well as those dang cysts that stick around forever). Hate to say it but I am definitely one of the ones experiencing worst skin, since beginning I have had pretty constant cysts on my cheek/jaw area. Right now I can count about 8 different spots that are very red and will linger for weeks (as well as my original congestion). I am hopeful that like others have said by pack 3 I will wake up with that magically clear skin. AS A SIDE NOTE: I am miraculously side effect free other than the acne! No nausea, weight gain, moodiness, headaches, nada! I even started mid cycle and didn’t get any breakthrough bleeding. I will update with this same name around the three month mark”

:) · January 14, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Hi I'm 43 year my PMDD become worse the older I get. I use to be a bit moody 2 days before my cycle, now I'm a raving lunatic 1 week before and 2 days into the cycle. Only to start again before I enter the ovulation phase. I feel happy go lucky maybe 1 week per month the rest of the time I can't stand being me. I'm starting YAZ today wish me luck. I'll report back in a few weeks.”

Gbaddd26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 5, 2020

For Acne: “So I was skeptical on taking this birth control due to reading the mixed reviews. I’m glad I took it anyways. I just finished off my second pack and I’m also using a prescription acne cream called Retin-a. My skin definitely cleared up. I had constant cystic acne, white heads, black heads. I looked like a teenager and I’m in my mid-twenties. My skin has occasional break outs during my period week. Nothing crazy, maybe 3 pimples at the most, which is a huge improvement from before where I would have like 20 at one time. I definitely recommend this birth control. Also I’m not pregnant ;)”

pimplepopper · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 10, 2019

For Acne: “Okay guys, I desperately searched this site two months ago when my acne was horrific. I had started Yaz for the acne and it instantly got worse for the first month and it felt really hopeless. BUT, it’s been 3 months now (the amount of time they say to wait) and it’s so, so, so much better. Please stick with this if you have hormonal acne it helped me so much.”

Irena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · June 14, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I love Yaz. It changes my life. My periods used to be hell, I would even sometimes ending up in hospital. Throwing up and taking hard pain killers was all I could do the first few days. Not to mention PMS...I used to get very depressed before my period and not feel like myself. Only one week per month I would live normal without my menstrual cycle affecting me. Since I started taking Yaz, I'm reborn. First month I had side effects like sore breasts and bigger appetite, but after first month or two everything regulated and I'm feeling better than ever! My period lasts for 3 days (it used to be 7) and its almost painless!! PMS doesn't even exist! And plus everything I don't have to fear of unwanted pregnancy! Highly recommend it”

Vic · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m 25, haven’t had an actual period in years (was on an IUD called Mirena). It was working fantastic for 7 years then came the expiration date. My desire to search for a new method of birth control begin. Considering how long I’d been on the IUD I figured let’s try something new. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE, it has been HORRIBLE finding a birth control that would fit my body & Yaz was NO exception. I have been taking the pill for two months. Side effects came gradually, things you’d assume: breast tenderness, cramping, bloating, lower back sensitivity. But there was something much more sinister bubbling up, so slowly I didn’t even notice, until I became a completely different woman. I have never been more depressed. Low energy, irritability, general feeling of discomfort, hopelessness, EMOTIONAL, crying all the time. Do your research but based off my experience RUN.”

Sarah · November 7, 2020

For Acne: “Just started my 4th month on Yaz. Zero side effects and my period and regular, shorter, and lighter, which I really like. My weight has stayed the same, which I’m also happy with. The main reason I went on Yaz to help my acne and I am still seeing no results in the 4th month. My skin is super clogged, greasy, and filled with pimples. I’ll probably switch if it doesn’t make a difference within the next few months.”

Brooklyn · August 13, 2021

For Acne: “The only reason I went on Yaz was to help with my acne I was getting a few cyst every month lots of blackheads a few pimples here and there I am just about to finish my 2nd pack and I just want to cry my acne is so bad right now really hoping by month 3 it all magically disappears did not experience any other side effects will update in a month or so”