User Reviews for Yaz

Birth Control
5.5

Summary of Yaz reviews 6.2 565 reviews

Reviews for Yaz

For Birth Control "I was on this pill for 4 years before it started causing severe emotional problems. I was always a level-headed, even-keel kind of person. Things didn’t really upset me much. But by my 4th year of taking Yaz, I was having weekly panic attacks, depression, obsessive and paranoid thoughts, and I had zero self-esteem. I ruined a few relationships because I was suspicious of the people in my life. I knew something was seriously wrong with me, but I had no idea it could be my pill. It wasn’t on my radar. Then I came across a forum of women going through the same thing, and they were taking Yaz. I stopped taking my pill for 3 months and I felt great. It was like the clouds parted. I didn’t have a single panic attack in those 3 months! I had my Dr. switch me to a different generic brand, hoping that might help. Well, I could only stand to be on it for 1 week... I had 2 panic attacks in the span of that 1 week. Pills went in the trash and I haven’t looked back."

Helio23 April 10, 2019

For Birth Control "I prescribed Yaz at 17years old and was on it for 5 years and thought it was an amazing pill. I had terrible acne before, which the pill completely cleared. But after about a year, I started getting really weird side effects that only now (off it) do I realize were due to Yaz. I was extremely cold, to the point that I could never warm up, and so exhausted I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue and could not physically stay awake throughout the day. I never had depression before, but during this time I experienced my first bouts of depression so severe it was debilitating. I also became so hungry at all times I was constantly planning my next meal and food consumed me. Now that I've been off the pill for 4 months, all side effects except the depression have completely lifted all at once. DO NOT RISK IT."

User917393929 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2019

For Acne "Yaz was my first birth control pill and it was really good for me at the start. I hate to be one of those downer comments on here, I remember googling reviews for what felt like every possible birth control option At the start it was very good to me, no bloating (which I thought was amazing cause I get bloated quite easily!), my skin was less oily but my hormonal acne on my chin, it didn't clear up but it wasn't as bad I guess, sometimes it was pretty clear, other times it wasn't. I will say I never got headaches or anything like at the start. But for the first month I felt soooo dead and hated life and everyone I didn't want to do anything and I get really sad at random times but its like for 10 seconds lol at the end of my second cycle I messed up and ended up missing a pill for a few hours (which I have done before once and it didn't affect me) but this time it did and I have been bleeding for up to 9 days, still bleeding."

Polllllly April 3, 2019

For Acne "If there is negative number on the rating scale then I would probably choose it! Yaz really ruined my face!"

April March 29, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Starting month 3 on Yaz... and I have to say my PMDD is much better. Not all together gone, but much more tolerable. I actually think I'm loosing weight, and my boobs are fuller, definitely a bonus. I do feel tired a lot more, not much energy, but I can deal. I'm definitely going to continue with medication. One other negative, insurance only covers generic, so having to pay $$$ each month to get the real deal, but I feel it's worth it. There are some really good coupons online that help reduce the cost."

Mj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

For Birth Control "Yaz was horrible, within 3 months of starting it I began to experience bouts of depression during my period and migraines as well. I was on Yaz for 11 months. By the time I got off it I was experiencing severe panic attacks and serious depression. I had never before in my life experienced these mental and emotional problems. I was 41 years old. I thought I was going nuts and never suspected that it was Yaz causing the problems. These symptoms came on gradually and progressively got worse and more pervasive. After I stopped Yaz and went back to my previous BC pill, it took about 18 months for the symptoms to fully resolve themselves. But there was some immediate improvement at the initial discontinuation. I can’t believe after all the negative things known about this pill and all the big lawsuits that it’s still on the market in the US. Be very careful with use of this pill...."

AFSD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2019

For Birth Control "Before taking Yaz I did have the tendency to overthink, however I would never consider myself depressed or anxious. Ever since being on this pill, my mental health has never been this low in my life. I think obsessively about mistakes I've made in the past, in a way where I feel worthless. I began suffering panic attacks and hot flashes. During my period I became so depressed, I would spend my days crying and not wanting to get out of bed. I'd go to work late because I just stopped caring. I highly suggest staying away from this pill. It is NOT okay for your mental health and it is NOT a risk worth taking."

Brenda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2019

For Acne "I’ve been using Yaz for almost 3 weeks now and it makes my acne worse every day; it gives me cystic acne on my cheeks and forehead, which is extremely painful!!! I’m also having an extreme mood swings!!! I can’t even sleep at night and just cry!!!!! I would not recommend this birth control!!!!"

mj (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2019

"I have been using Yaz Plus for 7 months because I have very heavy flow. I have never struggled with my skin but with Yaz my skin is really glowing. I do however still get breakouts when I get my period. I have very irregular periods with Yaz where I am on my period for 3 weeks I also struggle with spotting between cycles. I gained weight and really struggle to lose it even though I exercise much more and eat much healthier than before. This pill is not working for me and I am going to see a doctor. I strongly feel that everyone react differently to medication, this is definitely not for me."

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2019

For Birth Control "Got on it to regulate my period (which it did, but also gave it to me 2x/month). Developed severe depression, anxiety, gained 30lbs and was all around one of the worst experiences of my life. After my doctor told me to give it time to let my body to get used to it, I pushed through another couple of months until it was clear the birth control was the issue. Been months off of it and still suffering some secondary side effects but the bulk of it is gone. Would seriously not recommend."

annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2019

For Acne "I've taken generic Yaz for 4 years for acne. My acne started clearing up after 3 months, but did not completely clear up until 7 months. Unfortunately, one generic version of Yaz (Gianvi, which seems to be great for everyone else), made my acne flare up pretty badly. I took it for 5 months; my acne became pretty bad after 3. I went back on Nikki (which interestingly, seems to be terrible for everyone else), and sure enough, my acne is started clearing after 3 months and will probably be completely clear after 7 months again. The 3 months thing seems to be a rough estimate for me. I'm not sure everybody's hormones balance that easily."

PillPopper (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2019

For Birth Control "Yaz is great! I first started taking Yaz at 15 years old. Hardly any side effects compared to other brands of birth control, and my skin flawless. Switched over to the copper IUD at 21 for something more long term. BIG MISTAKE. Had it for 6 months before removing it and switching back to Yaz. It's never let me down, with minimal to zero side effects. (increased appetite but that can be controlled with a bit of self discipline."

Zee March 4, 2019

For Acne "I am just finished my second pack of Yaz and probably won't be continuing it. I have suffered from pretty moderate acne and started Yaz to decrease it. As soon as I started taking it, my acne flared up even MORE than before. The flare ups haven't stopped since I started taking Yaz. I know they say to wait until the third month but I can't deal with the anxiety/depression/obsessive thoughts/and mood swings that this pill has caused me. I never had mood swings around my period prior to birth control and have suffered only from mild anxiety. Nothing like I am experiencing now. Yaz might of been worth it if it actually helped with my acne."

Marisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on Yaz for about 6 months and my body has not shown any physical changes, but I have noticed several changes in other areas. At first, the pill was fine, but when I took my pills to have a period in February on the 6th, the period never went away. I am nearly at the period stage of the next pack, and I am still on my period from the previous pack. I have an irregular heart beat, I will be sitting watching tv or doing work, and I can feel my heart beat, as if I have ran a marathon. The last side effect are headaches, but they come suddenly, and nothing gets rid of them. I never had a headache in my life, and this is the absolute truth; until I started taking Yaz. I went to the doctor and she immediately took me off these pills and prescribed Avaine, which I've read the reviews on here, and they are horrible as well. I am about to stop birth control altogether...."

Danisha0921 February 27, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I started taking yaz at age 17 to deal with PMDD and cystic acne that only popped up the week before my period but would always needed steroid injections and then scarred for months. It dealt with my PMDD like nothing has before or since taking it. I no longer felt like a prisoner to my emotions or on a rollercoaster from hormones!!! My skin looked like porcelain. However, it does have side effects. After 5 years I started noticing some hair thinning. I go to the bathroom more often on this than I do off it. My periods were light or non-existent to the point I thought, "how could this be healthy?" After 10 years I decided my body needed a break so I went off it. Well, in the last year my skin has ruined itself with cysts and my moods before my period range from homicidal maniac to so severely sad and depressed that puppy food commercials make me cry. I am going back on yaz next week. You have to decide if the side effects are worth it for you. For me, I can't live like this anymore."

Pmddrage (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2019

For Birth Control "Although this pill did clear up my acne (that was caused by a different pill) and prevent me from becoming pregnant, it caused me to be extremely depressed and anxious around the 9th month of usage. It also caused me extreme mood swings. If you're prone or already have anxiety or depression, I would not recommend this pill."

ihateyaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Best thing ever. Lifesaver. Game changer. I tried other BC but had the worst PMS (PMDD)-heavy painful periods, depression, anxiety, and acne which would led to skin infections/inflamed skin for 2-3 weeks; I was miserable all month. Once I began taking Yaz, it felt like a veil lifted. Horrible PMS became a thing of past. Physically, my boobs maybe went up a cup & my skin cleared up. My periods weren’t as heavy or painful. I didn’t have as much of a sex drive but for me, being sane was worth the trade off. For me, brand name worked best. Hands down."

Victoria (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2019

For Birth Control "This was the worst birth control I've tried. I didn't become pregnant which was certainly good, but I became incredibly moody with obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression that still haunt me. If you are prone to anxiety and depression I might recommend NOT trying this pill."

mack16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I was a happy, straight A, popular, physically active person in high school. Being active led me to not have a period for 8 months. My mom took me to a doctor, who prescribed Yaz. That summer, I gained over 30lbs and entered a warped reality of extreme withdrawal, depression, and self-loathing. I missed 6 weeks of school, almost didn’t pass 11th grade, and suicide became a very tangible idea. The next years of life were blurry, and involved lots of doctors to find out what was wrong. They suggested antidepressants because they thought Yaz—a drug to treat PMDD—actually CREATED it in me. The truth is, while I’m generally a happy and positive person now, I’ve never felt mentally as sane as I did in 2006, and I believe Yaz is 100% responsible. With my experience, and with the many other experiences I have read (including death) I am beyond appalled that this drug is still on the market. I encourage you to do your own research, and live."

VivianLeigh (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm 39, a full time working mom of 3 young kids. My husband and I feel that our family is complete but after trying for 10 years with multiple fertility attempts, we just couldn't go through the process of making it "final" so I chose to go on birth control. After trying a few other horrible brands, I was prescribed YAZ. I read the horrible reviews but still decided to try it. At first, it was great! No acne, levelled my moods-kinda but after a year, all hell broke loose. I have horrible anxiety, depression, anger towards everyone-even my children, tired ALL the time, wanting to be alone. My relationship with my husband is hurting due to me not wanting to be by anyone which means absolutely no sex drive. I might have a tinge of a period during my placebo pills but all the other symptoms of bloating & mood swings. Then after a year, I got my period & bled through the month. I am starting a new pill next week. Hopefully, I can get my family and my life back..."

GJ January 30, 2019

For Acne "I was prescribed Yaz plus (has added folic acid) for my severe menstrual cramps and adenomyosis, The first 2 months seemed fine. It boosted my mood, cleared my skin and my pain dropped from a 10/10 to a 3/10. However, after 3 months, my left leg started to swell (pretty sure it’s blood clot issues) I experienced severe constipation and gut motility issues as it depleted me of vitamins and minerals. I’ve been suffering with severe anxiety and insomnia as well. And I’ve been crying everyday. Not to mention that I started peeing every 10 min. Drospirenone causes this. I had to go to a homeopath to help rebalance my system whilst on it. This pill is honestly a nightmare. Please be careful going on it. Especially if you are susceptible to high cholesterol, hypertension due to family history. You know your body better than anyone else. Today will be my first official day off it. Not starting a new pack as I’d rather endure pain than the risk of life threatening blood clots."

Nina (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I've got into a serious relationship this past year and I opted to get birth control. I have had the Xulane birth control patches and the generic Yaz, Gianvi. Xulane gave me every side effect possible- mood swings, nausea, and headache, and Gianvi made me have mood swings. I asked my pharmacist to give me the non generic version and I finally got YAZ. I've had zero side effects, no mood swings, no weight gain, and GLOWING SKIN! If you're hesitant to try because of previous bad reviews, give it a shot! I am the person who has every possible bad side effect of every drug and I highly recommend it!"

Shay (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

For Acne "It helped with many issues that I had like mood, depression and stopping my period. I love it. I had no side effects and I had no acne. I felt great and I don't think I gain weight. However know that I am going through the change and they took me off and now I am having my period all time"

KAREYN T (taken for 10 years or more) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I started Yaz about 7 months ago because I had found out that I had developed ovarian cysts. I had been on Yaz for two years as a teenager and had side effects but I didn’t notice them as much as this time. Over the time I had taken Yaz I had developed low mood, temperament, and a bad attitude towards everything. The change was so slow that it wasn’t obvious that it wasn’t me and not the pill. On my last month I took this pill I had just started a new job and had to quit after one day because of extreme nausea and anxiety I was experiencing. Other side effects I experienced on Yaz were depression, suicidal thoughts, withdrawn, violent (kicking in a wall), angry, argumentative, irritable, extreme nausea, dizziness, hypoglycemia (if I don’t eat every 3 hours I would get nauseous) and no motivation to do anything, random pain in the legs, jealous of others, tired all the time, foggy head, crying all the time and distrust of people. Please be aware."

Meg January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "Yaz is the first birth control method I've used so I can't compare with others but it's been great overall for me. I am more emotional and have moments of irritability that I didn't before but it's not unmanageable or extreme. I have clear discharge which is more of a welcome thing for me as, prior to taking this pill, I had a hard time becoming naturally lubricated. It does its job nicely at preventing pregnancy. My libido has only gone down a notch, which is also fine. Breasts larger, weight unaffected, skin clearer, even my hair feels healthier - though I'm not sure if that is typical. My periods are predictable and light. My urine has a different smell since I began taking Yaz. It's not unpleasant but it is noticeable. I'm more than satisfied with this birth control"

Lalabai (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019