User Reviews for Ocella

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ocella.

Acne

Birth Control
6.3

Summary of Ocella reviews 7.0 129 reviews

Reviews for Ocella

For Birth Control "I was using Sprintec for about 4 years with no issues until I started experiencing breakthrough bleeding every month 2 weeks before I got my “period” so I talked to my PCP and decided to change. She prescribed me Ocella (generic for Yasmin) and the first two initial days all I experienced was nausea, which is to be expected, but about a week into it I got the worst anxiety attacks... worse than I’ve ever had along with a very rapid heartbeat. I have had anxiety my entire life but never have I experienced what I went through with this. Other than anxiety/panic attacks I had no other major symptoms. I did decide to stop taking Ocella about a week and a half into it and wait until my body is ready for another BC pill."

Vballchick (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Ending my 4th day taking this BC and I've been extremely nauseous since yesterday, didn't even go to work today. Weak. So sick feeling, bloated, constipated, angry and NOOOOO fuse. Yelling at my kids. So upset over this, I hate BC pills."

Lexyee September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on birth control since I was 16 now 22, I've tried 3 birth controls before Ocella. All previous ones had break through bleeding, mood swings & one gave me out of control yeast infections. That's when I switched to Ocella, zero acne, I skip my period, no breakthrough bleeds, no weight gain besides 3 pounds and a little bloating every so often. Best part, no pregnancy scares for the last 2 years. Love the protection and stability it's supplied! I will say I've experience intermittent anxiety on it, might try another kind of it continues. Hope this helped. Worth a try, it's kept me safe, happy and acne/pregnancy free."

Scottie L (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking Ocella due to complications with a ruptured ovarian cyst. I'm on my 10th day of taking it and I still have my period. I've been getting chest pain and rapid heart beats, I have absolutely no sex drive and I have been experiencing the worst migraines of my life. I will not recommend this pill to anyone."

Love90 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've been on Ocella for about 8 months now and it's cleared up my acne pretty well (I'm on Accutane to kill the rest off). I also use it to stop my periods. It works well for that purpose. The only reason I give it 9/10 is that I spot if I skip too many, which didn't happen with Jolessa. But other than that it's a great pill and I have no side effects from it. I would recommend trying it for acne or to stop periods. I can't speak on it's effectiveness for pregnancy prevention or other conditions."

Kateeeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was prescribed birth control about 6 years ago due to complications from ovarian cysts. The very first one I tried was lo-estrin 24 which made me incredibly nauseas. I then tried a couple other ones but they all made me nauseous as well. Finally I was prescribed ocella. I felt pretty good on it. Didn't notice any weight changes. My skin looked AMAZING. I would just get bad migraines/nauseas/sick a day or two before my period and some days randomly during the month. It wasn't until I STOPPED taking ocella (or any birth control...long story/not sexually active at the moment) about 6 months ago that made me realize how much better I feel off of it. I feel like a new person. My mood is 10x better. Sex drive is back. Only down side- my skin"

Court4292 June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I was given Ocella by my doctor to help cure my hormonal acne. My acne when from bad to very severe but I kept taking the pill hoping that all it was just an initial breakout. Seven months passed and my acne was at its worse. I finally gave up on the pill. What has cleared my face of acne is the regimen which I purchased online. My acne is gone but now I have acne scars which are deep pits in my cheeks. I'm now trying to get rid of the scars that Ocella caused me to have in the first place. DO NOT TAKE OCELLA!"

RubyWEst123345555 June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was prescribed to this birth control but after reading the awful reviews, I was seriously considering going back to the doctor to ask for another. I decided to give it a try and I've had absolutely no side effects. This is my first time taking birth control and it really worked perfect for me. I usually have a lot of acne and that has cleared up a lot already, which is a big plus!! Don't be discouraged with the other reviews, it might work for you too!"

Ronnie12 June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill because everything else gave me cystic acne. At first, I loved this pill, besides the fact that it gave me terrible mood swings and no sex drive. I tolerated that part because it seemed like I was losing lbs and increasing bra size which I was happy about. But about a year into it I started going thru periods of what seemed like depression, lasting about 3 months at the longest. 2 years into it, I'd gained about 10 lbs in 3 months (without any lifestyle change) and NOTHING I did would help me lose the weight. Finally I decided to stop taking it 1 month ago and I already lost 5 lbs, am 10x happier, and my sex drive is back. Didn't get pregnant, but not worth the long-term side effects."

collegestudent92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "First few months weren't great. Had breakthrough bleeding the first month for 2-3 weeks, was very very moody and irritated. Second month was normal period, moods were fine, but still had bad breakouts. Third month, normal period and acne started to die down. Fourth month, acne is almost completely gone and normal periods"

Aimsters April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I'm a lesbian, so I don't take this to prevent pregnancy, but because my periods were lasting two weeks before. Pros: my periods are regular and lighter, and my skin is completely clear. Cons: I originally gained around 15 pounds (which I have since lost), and I have no sex drive whatsoever. My breast size also increased from a D to a G, which I guess could be seen as a positive or negative. I personally find it frustrating. I am also very emotional, but I think that's just part of my personality and unrelated to the birth control."

laura7356 February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I take Ocella to help control my PCOS and as a birth control. It's done a good job of regulating my period and as a birth control. However, I've experienced many mood swings and depressive-like symptoms as well as more nausea and tenderness in my breasts. It does what it needs to do which is why I'm reluctant to switch since it is one of the best birth controls to regulate my PCOS symptoms."

Aleena Zee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I LOVE this pill! I was on Jolessa for 4 years and always had constant spotting and bad acne, Sprintec for 4 months and had spotting and awful mood swings and periods, but Ocella is absolutely perfect. I've been on it for 3 months now and it's cleared up most of my acne, I've had no spotting and no periods, and I've lost 8 pounds! No mood swings, either. I would definitely recommend that anyone who is considering this pill give it a try. Plus, mine is only $9 a month! For the work it does, it is awesome. I cannot speak on effectiveness for pregnancy prevention as I use it to skip periods and am not sexually active."

pinkpaw February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking Ocella for about a year now. It has controlled my breakthrough bleeding, but the last few months I've been experiencing EXTREME mood swings, depression, anxiety, anger/rage... I don't know myself. Friends/Family notice too. I am stopping this pill today. I have a call in to my OB. I feel like I'm going crazy!"

Jszkat (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Ocella about 5 weeks now. Worst decision I ever made. I have been having heavy uncontrollable bleeding, terrible stomach pain, fatigue, nauseous and migraines. I informed my OB and I have a appointment set for tomorrow. Fingers crossed that something else will help. I have been miserable ever since I've started Ocella."

Anonymous January 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Was an effective form of birth control and cleared up my acne spectacularly; however, I started getting horrible migraines during the week I was not taking the hormones. My hands and left side of my face would go numb, I would get nauseous, and I would be incapable of doing anything but lie there because I could not fall asleep because of the pain."

Cleared acne, but migraines January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am 28 years old and started breaking out severely a few years back. I tried every OTC acne medication and cleanser. I finally went to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with hormonal acne. I was prescribed Ocella and tretinoin cream. I've been using both since April 2015, however I noticed that as long as I take my Ocella everyday I do not need the tretinoin cream so I haven't used it in a couple months. My skin is such much better and I have to remember to take my pill every day because the hormones wear off after 24 hours and I'll break out if I miss it two days in a row. Otherwise this medication has been heaven sent. "

Desiw1988 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I was on Ocella for about 10 years for PCOS. Worked great. Then I got off for about 2 years and was regular. Had a miscarriage early 2016 and went back on it. It has been horrible this time around. Horrible cramps , heavy breakthrough bleeding that starts the second week and lasts until about 3 days b4 period starts. I have been taking since Jan and it is now Dec and never improved. Gyno switched me to sprintec. Fingers crossed."

EG13 December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Did what it was supposed to do, i.e. I didn't get pregnant and I was sexually active the whole time I was on it. Also, I don't believe I had the single zit for the whole year and a half I was on it. Nice! However... I experienced a lot of very annoying headaches while taking Ocella. They were stubborn too, wouldn't go away if I took an Aleeve. Also, weight gain definitely happened. I went up 2 full cup sizes and "filled out" in general. I would say about 8lbs or so. (With little to no change in my diet/ lifestyle) Also, I feel that Ocella increased my anxiety and depression. It also affected my sex drive and level of lubrication. Everyone's body is different, hard to say if symptoms were from Ocella or unrelated."

Moongirl1990 November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Mild nausea when I first started but that has gone away. Cleared my skin a lot which was a surprise and so far I've grown two cup sizes. No weight gain or loss, and allows me to completely skip my period by starting a new pack rather than taking placebos. Only downside is mild mood swings, but nothing unmanageable. Definitely better than tri previfem"

Anonymous. November 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I hate this pill its the second birth control I have been on and I cant wait to switch. I have been on Ocella for 6 months and all 6 months have been terrible I've been gaining weight which makes me extremely depressed and I've had really bad mood swings. I am usually a calm, easy going person but ever since I have been on this pill every little thing irritates me or makes me mad. My doctor also assured me this pill would make my period shorter and lighter.....no....not at all. However I have not gotten pregnant so it works in that regard."

tokia September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have taken Ocella for almost eight years and loved it. It improved my acne, mood swings, etc. I didn't really have any noticeable side effects. However, in the last few months I started getting all over body itching and then hives. I eventually realized going off of this cured my itching/hives so I decided to write this review incase anyone else is dealing with these symptoms. Generics can change filler ingredients at any time, so unfortunately I will no longer be taking this pill."

Sairii (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started this method about 8 months ago. I hate it. No change in acne, but weight gain, headaches, horrible heavy crampy periods, intense mood swings. I'm switching soon. On the good side: I'm not pregnant so yay there and I know exactly when Hell Week (last 7 days always) starts and ends."

KrisNBliss September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've been a few different kinds of Birth Control pills. Nothing really worked the way I wanted... One brand lowered my sex drive, another brand made my acne worse instead of better. Finally ended up trying Ocella even though I was nervous becasue of all the talk I hear about girls getting blood clots.. But I must say, this works. I have mild cramps, for a day or so, and it's only off and on. My periods are lighter and last usually about 4 days. My face is the clearest it's ever been. I should of been on this brand in high school. Once in a while I'll get a pimple. And it hasn't effected my sex drive. It's an A in my book"

Kelli Lynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just recently finished my first pack of Ocella and I don't have many things to complain about except the cramps during my period!!! They were deadly & so uncomfortable. My period was heavy also. But I'm on it to regulate my period. I haven't gained any weight but I've been noticing pimples popping up and I've never had this problem before I'm not sure if my hormones aren't used to it yet but the acne sucks & my breast have been tender also. But overall it's a pretty good birth control method."

S.B (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016