User Reviews for Ocella

Birth Control
6.3

Summary of Ocella reviews 6.6 131 reviews

Reviews for Ocella

For Birth Control "I started taking birth control before I married my husband. I was extremely worried because I have depression and did not know how the pill would effect me. My doctor told me to expect some nausea with the first month or so of taking Ocella and for that first month or so I definitely had some nausea but after that I have been fine. My acne has cleared up and I haven't had any unexpected mood swings. The only negative I saw was weight gain which made fitting into my wedding dress a little more difficult but it wasn't too extreme. The positive was that I went up to a C from an A in cup size. I have been on Ocella for almost a year and have had a positive experience overall. Especially before I took Ocella my periods have always been long and painful. Now on it I have noticed that my periods have progressively gotten shorter and I have had a lot less pain from cramps."

Jonesy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2019

For Birth Control "HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Took it two times and was overcome by horrible irritability, depression and ridiculous thoughts. I am a positive person and this was AWFUL. As soon as I stopped taking it my mood went back to normal. I felt as if Dementors (from Harry Potter Series) were sucking my soul. AVOID!"

JM (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2018

For Acne "I took Sprintec years ago which initially worsened my skin and caused severe depression. Since taking Ocella for almost 6 months I’ve had great experiences. My skin is great, I barely have any cramps (before I had extremely severe cramps and heavy flow), and my flow has lightened. I am really happy with this birth control."

Ella (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2018

For Birth Control "So I've been on Ocella when it was yasmin... Since 1996. No issues at all. It helps my mood swings and no endometriosis since on it. Migraines yes but it runs in my family..so no issues with it."

Swedisheyes (taken for 10 years or more) November 11, 2018

For Birth Control "Out of all the birth control's I've taken throughout the years, Ocella has been an absolute blessing! I started taking it a little over a month ago. Since then I haven't experienced any bloating or my usual hormonal acne breakouts! My skin hasn't looked this great since elementary school (and I'm 25)! Only side-effect I have experienced is I'm a little more frustrated near my period, but it's so worth it! 10/10 would recommend!"

AzureRays (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Just finished my first pack of Ocella. I am pleased so far! This is the 3rd birth control pill I have tried, first two were nightmares. I quit the pill all-together for 2 yrs but decided to start up again w/ Ocella. I was on Kariva then switched to Minastrin. I had AWFUL weight gain with both. I didn't change my diet, it was all water weight that was lost w/in a week of stopping the pills. So far on Ocella I have not gained any weight and do not feel bloated/ puffy. I am assuming that has to do with the diuretic effect of the progestin? which I am all for if it keeps bloating at bay! The first few days of taking this pill I had extreme nausea but that went away. I also had a few headaches but I got that before taking Ocella. Given my past experience I was terrified of taking this pill. So far, it has been a breeze. I am hoping that it continues to be like this! Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If you have struggled with other pills in the past this may be the one for you"

Katie October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena for 3 years and hated it! I developed cystic acne and my periods were at least 2 weeks long each month. I got it removed and immediately started Ocella. It's been great. My periods are not longer than 5 days each month and my skin looks amazing! I rarely get break outs; but if I do, they go away MUCH quicker than normal. The only negatives are that I'm moody, bloated, and have heavy cravings during my cycle. The normal PMS effects I guess."

Hot Mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

For Birth Control "This medication caused really bad breakthrough bleeding. I’ve basically been on my period for a month, it’s miserable. Its also causing migraines. Effective at preventing pregnancy though."

Libbayee (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I was using MonoNessa for 1 year before my doctor switched me to Ocella. I absolutely regret agreeing to the switch. I was perfectly fine with MonoNessa except for being a little dry “down there” during intimacy. I prefer that than what Ocella has done to me. I wake up with a headache almost every single day, I have a raging appetite, and I’ve been on Ocella since April 15 and started spotting April 18. It is now May 25 and I have not stopped spotting (sometimes heavier) AT ALL. For over a month now and this is just insane. I don’t suggest this pill to anyone."

natrose1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Ocella for a few months now. Overall experience has been good. I am experiencing more cramps and upset stomach than my previous BC. Although that is not fun to experience I have no complaints for mood swings, weight gain, or depression. Overall I am pleased with the medication."

Mar (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

"I had been on ocella for 3 years straight and did not start experiencing the terrible migraines until the 3rd year, they became extremely unbearable to the point where I went to the ER and needed anything they could give me to stop the terrible head throbbing. I stopped for 4-5 months and I am now just starting Ocella back up again, and wow the water retention! Dude, my clothes WON'T FIT! It's so embarrassing when my lab coat at work will not buckle up on me, and the extremely high appetite, making it impossible to lose any weight!, skin pigmentation, constantly tiredness, mood swings, irritability, and the acne! omg the ACNE. Not just regular acne but CYSTIC acne. I had to go to my dermatologist to get my face injected with steriods to stop the cysts from growing. Over all I give it a 5 stars for the 3 years of good consistency, not getting pregnant, and took away the 5 stars for the migraines and everything else it was cost me!"

zara1994 April 11, 2018

For Acne "I majorly broke out eventually to getting pimples every day not hormonal acne but lots of zits and redness. I’ve tried a birth control before ,but now that I’m on ocella let me just say it’s a miracle for me , no side effects what so ever . Although each first day of the new pack I wake up having an upset stomach and anxiety it eventually goes away that same day. I used the pill for my awful - I mean excruciating cramps and acne which have helped honestly 100%. I have no cramping anymore. I’m on my fifth month now and it has cured my acne. I’m not entirely clear but I’ve reduced my pimples to 2 pimples a month and those pimples always show up the week before my period so my periods to blame for this. It was the best pill for me. But like I said this cured and helped my acne soooooo much have gotten so many compliments on how smooth my skin is . A miracle pill is all I’m saying (:"

Emilyxo April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "every women's body is different so every person has different side affects. The worst side affects I ever had was from Nexplanon (severe depression, weight loss, anxiety, horrible acne, no sex drive) so I decided to switch back to the pill and Ocella was free under my insurance. This is the best birth control method for my body!!! No depression, no heightened anxiety, cleared up my skin 100%, I gained my much needed weight back and I got my sex drive back! Unfortunately you won't know how a birth control will affect you personally until you try it out but this is my favorite one !!!!"

wyldflwr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2018

For Acne "Took for acne for 14 months, very effective for my hormonal acne. It almost completely cleared it. No nausea or headaches. Side effects include weight gain of about 6 to 8 lbs in 1 year. Slightly larger breast in the first 2 or 3 months only. However at the end of 13 th months I had some symptoms that led me to be disgnosed with gallstones. I read that taking birth control pill does increase the risk so I just stopped. Dermatologist gave Spironolactone but within two weeks I have some skin rashes which may be a side effect. Hope to lose the weight gain and stop the gallstones from getting worse."

Mia786 February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Negatives: I've felt on the verge of crying all day every day. I've only wanted to be alone, but when I am alone, I'm depressed and feel a sense of heaviness. It just amplifies all my negative emotions. For a couple of weeks, I was also ravenously hungry all of the time. But, at the same time I felt slightly nauseous The positives: I got on this birth control in an attempt to clear my cystic acne. At the end of month one, I see ever-so-slight improvements. The redness has faded slightly, and my skin, while still bumpy, is a bit smoother to the touch. I also noticed a very small increase in breast size in the first couple of weeks. Nothing major, I am very small chested, barely an A cup before, and am now a more full A cup. Again, not something that would be visually perceptible, but is noticeable to myself and my boyfriend! I also feel that, while I've always been thin, this medicine has made it even easier to keep the weight off."

NicRenee February 2, 2018

For Acne "I noticed after 9 months my stomach became very sensitive-but I could never find a trigger food or figure out why I would eat one thing and be fine, and then eat it another time and have to RUN to the bathroom. After 2 1/2 years it finally crossed my mind to stop Ocella and see how I felt, and it was a total turnaround. My stomach is no longer sensitive and I haven't had an episode since I stopped. I am leaving this review because I searched high and low to see if anyone had an experience like mine- and there weren't any. Though Ocella cleared my skin, having my sensitive stomach control my life was not worth it to me."

Ddsakdn January 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was using Sprintec for about 4 years with no issues until I started experiencing breakthrough bleeding every month 2 weeks before I got my “period” so I talked to my PCP and decided to change. She prescribed me Ocella (generic for Yasmin) and the first two initial days all I experienced was nausea, which is to be expected, but about a week into it I got the worst anxiety attacks... worse than I’ve ever had along with a very rapid heartbeat. I have had anxiety my entire life but never have I experienced what I went through with this. Other than anxiety/panic attacks I had no other major symptoms. I did decide to stop taking Ocella about a week and a half into it and wait until my body is ready for another BC pill."

Vballchick (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2017

For Birth Control "Ending my 4th day taking this BC and I've been extremely nauseous since yesterday, didn't even go to work today. Weak. So sick feeling, bloated, constipated, angry and NOOOOO fuse. Yelling at my kids. So upset over this, I hate BC pills."

Lexyee September 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on birth control since I was 16 now 22, I've tried 3 birth controls before Ocella. All previous ones had break through bleeding, mood swings & one gave me out of control yeast infections. That's when I switched to Ocella, zero acne, I skip my period, no breakthrough bleeds, no weight gain besides 3 pounds and a little bloating every so often. Best part, no pregnancy scares for the last 2 years. Love the protection and stability it's supplied! I will say I've experience intermittent anxiety on it, might try another kind of it continues. Hope this helped. Worth a try, it's kept me safe, happy and acne/pregnancy free."

Scottie L (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2017

For Birth Control "I started taking Ocella due to complications with a ruptured ovarian cyst. I'm on my 10th day of taking it and I still have my period. I've been getting chest pain and rapid heart beats, I have absolutely no sex drive and I have been experiencing the worst migraines of my life. I will not recommend this pill to anyone."

Love90 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

For Acne "I've been on Ocella for about 8 months now and it's cleared up my acne pretty well (I'm on Accutane to kill the rest off). I also use it to stop my periods. It works well for that purpose. The only reason I give it 9/10 is that I spot if I skip too many, which didn't happen with Jolessa. But other than that it's a great pill and I have no side effects from it. I would recommend trying it for acne or to stop periods. I can't speak on it's effectiveness for pregnancy prevention or other conditions."

Kateeeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

For Birth Control "I was prescribed birth control about 6 years ago due to complications from ovarian cysts. The very first one I tried was lo-estrin 24 which made me incredibly nauseas. I then tried a couple other ones but they all made me nauseous as well. Finally I was prescribed ocella. I felt pretty good on it. Didn't notice any weight changes. My skin looked AMAZING. I would just get bad migraines/nauseas/sick a day or two before my period and some days randomly during the month. It wasn't until I STOPPED taking ocella (or any birth control...long story/not sexually active at the moment) about 6 months ago that made me realize how much better I feel off of it. I feel like a new person. My mood is 10x better. Sex drive is back. Only down side- my skin"

Court4292 June 14, 2017

For Acne "I was given Ocella by my doctor to help cure my hormonal acne. My acne when from bad to very severe but I kept taking the pill hoping that all it was just an initial breakout. Seven months passed and my acne was at its worse. I finally gave up on the pill. What has cleared my face of acne is the regimen which I purchased online. My acne is gone but now I have acne scars which are deep pits in my cheeks. I'm now trying to get rid of the scars that Ocella caused me to have in the first place. DO NOT TAKE OCELLA!"

RubyWEst123345555 June 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I was prescribed to this birth control but after reading the awful reviews, I was seriously considering going back to the doctor to ask for another. I decided to give it a try and I've had absolutely no side effects. This is my first time taking birth control and it really worked perfect for me. I usually have a lot of acne and that has cleared up a lot already, which is a big plus!! Don't be discouraged with the other reviews, it might work for you too!"

Ronnie12 June 7, 2017

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill because everything else gave me cystic acne. At first, I loved this pill, besides the fact that it gave me terrible mood swings and no sex drive. I tolerated that part because it seemed like I was losing lbs and increasing bra size which I was happy about. But about a year into it I started going thru periods of what seemed like depression, lasting about 3 months at the longest. 2 years into it, I'd gained about 10 lbs in 3 months (without any lifestyle change) and NOTHING I did would help me lose the weight. Finally I decided to stop taking it 1 month ago and I already lost 5 lbs, am 10x happier, and my sex drive is back. Didn't get pregnant, but not worth the long-term side effects."

collegestudent92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017