User Reviews for Yasmin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Yasmin.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of Yasmin reviews 6.6 231 reviews

Reviews for Yasmin

For Birth Control "Worst thing I ever did to my body. First month went by fine, break was fine. Started second pack and in two days experienced painful cramps and light bright red bleeding. 3 days later I was bleeding huge amounts, like post partum bleeding, and bright red. This did not stop. I lived on 6 ibuprofen a day. The ibuprofen burnt through my stomach and caused a HUGE IBS flare. After two weeks of intense pain and very heavy bleeding I stopped the pill. Within 4 days I had stopped bleeding completely. This was 4 weeks ago. Stomach only just recovering, but have been feeling deep aching pains every since, I think like ovulation pain. Today it ramped up. Hopefully I’m just ovulating, but I will never take a pill again."

Hneveragain November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "Recommended to me by gynae to manage pain while on waiting list for excision surgery for my endometriosis. pros: Made skin & hair absolutely beautiful, cleared spots up & solved oily skin problem. Body hair grew in much slower/ thinner! Only had a period every 3 months - nice break from pain (The period I had was hellish tho ): ) cons: Severely amplified pre-existing mental health problems. I don't want to scare anyone but yeah it was so bad I had to come off it. I wish I was able to stay on it longer. So if like me you already have mental health stuff going on I urge u to take that into consideration when trying this medication. I'm not saying don't take it, just make sure u have a support network in place to help you through. Be safe and look after yourselves"

HanR November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My daughter had moderate acne for 3 years. We tried everything for her including prescription and non-prescription medications. She was on antibiotics and was ready to try Accutane but her dermatologist recommended trying Yasmin first. It took 5 months to show significant improvement, but her face is now pretty much clear. She still gets breakouts every now and then but she went from wearing heavy foundation every day to not having to wear any now. I highly recommend trying this before going into harsher treatments."

MCAF November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I’ve only been on the pill for four days but I’ve been nauseous from the second day of taking the pill. Does it get any better ?I’m also feeling dizzy and can’t seem to keep any food down."

Fats0w November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Yasmin is the worst! I went on it to clear my acne and it made me feel like I was going crazy. Anxiety, depression and de realisation. I constantly cried and was clingy to my loved ones. I am so angry my doctor prescribed this pill without telling me about the side effects! It was only after going on the Internet did I realise just how dangerous this pill is! Stay away from it!!! I stopped as soon as I made the connection, that it was making me a different person I've never felt paranoid in my life until Yasmin! It was hard coming off too, first week hard, second week much better and by the second cycle I was finally 100%. be aware!! If you've started this pill and feeling depressed its Yasmin!!"

Survived November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am new to birth control and was worried about taking a hormonal pill because I'd heard that people can have mood swings or feel depression or gain weight... luckily NOTHING like that has happened to me during my first month. If anything, it actually helped me with my mood swings. I haven't gained any weight and I've noticed improvements in my acne, although it's not completely gone yet. I'm hopeful that within the next few months it will clear up further. The only bad thing that did happen to me was that I got EXTREMELY nauseated and sick on the third day of taking the pill. But I powered through and haven't felt any side effects since. I also was spotting for 2.5 weeks, but no pain."

RinB. (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "After suffering from horrible cystic acne for a year I decided to go on Yasmin to clear my skin. Within the first 2-3 months there was no affect on my acne, in fact I thought it was getting worse. I considered going off the pill then and there but decided to wait until after the 3 month mark to see if there was any improvements. I wish I hadn't. My skin completely cleared however I've been experiencing extreme sadness, irritability & weight gain. I have been on Yasmin for about 5 months now and have gained just over 8kg. I am a very slim frame and have never in my life gained more than a kg or so. I also cry most days and feel very pessimistic about my life. I wish I had never tried Yasmin. I can't wait to feel like myself again."

S.jel.c (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am nearly finishing my 2nd packet and it's made me skin flare up so badly, the worst I've seen it in over a year! I need advice, will this get better cos I've only just started it ?"

Millyagarx October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My acne ranged anywhere from moderate to severe before I started taking Yasmin. I've been consistently using Yasmin for three months now, and I've seen a massive improvement in my skin. During the first couple of months there were no visible changes to my acne, if anything it got worse. Nearing the third month all the bumps on my forehead disappeared, leaving my forehead smooth for the first time in years. I still occasionally get large whiteheads on my chin and cheeks, but not nearly as severe. Hopefully in a month or two I will be acne free."

TeaganN October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Yasmin for 11 and a half years. At first I didn't have any problems . But over the last few years I have noticed terrible things happening each month. First it was spotting, breast tenderness, mood swings, sadness, headaches, irritability you know the small little things. But more severely I have heart palpitations, dizziness, and now high blood pressure "

CharlCharl October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I only gave this pill a 7 because it hasn't done WONDERS for me (I was hoping my skin would become flawless I guess) but I have lost about 4-5lbs since I started taking this pill. I just started my third pack 4days ago and the weight is still dropping. Not to say that will continue, I'm sure my hormones will level out in a month or two, but I am thankful I'm not gaining weight. I don't exercise anymore but I am semi-conscience about what I eat. I'm a firm believer that everybody's body is completely different and can and will react differently to different medications. I was put on this for PCOS bc my testosterone was high so it is supposed to help with that and I believe it has even as reluctant as I was to start taking BC again."

Sidcc September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I went onto Yasmin after being on the Depo injection for a few years, which made my mild acne more like moderate-severe. The Yasmin gradually cleared my skin completely and I'm so happy with the results (I've been on it for 3-4 years now). The only thing is, that I'm also using it as BC and I think over the last few years it has given me bad mood swings, some depression and massively decreased my libido, which have all affected my relationship. I'm now looking into the Mirena IUS as my Dr is worried about me staying on Yasmin as my family has a history of breast cancer- but I'm so worried progesterone only options will make my acne come back. I found Yasmin perfect for acne treatment, but it had some unexpected negatives for me personally."

Cheerio4226 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking Yasmin birth control since I'm 15. There was a few times where I had stopped taking it because -life- couldn't afford it at a younger age and I am SO forgetful I have 2 kids but I wasn't taking the birth control at those times. From me taking the pill till getting pregnant took about a year.! Both times I started taking it again recently and I've been losing weight. I have lost 10lbs. It doesn't cause acne. I don't feel lazy or drained taking it I do recommend this birth control I think it works great, from regulating a period to not getting pregnant!"

P.Adelle August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill ruined my life a few years ago and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it. It was a nightmare from the beginning. I threw up constantly (while still gaining a ridiculous amount of weight very quickly). I went from having clear, clean skin to it looking like I had a disease. It took over a year after stopping the pill for my face to clear up. I became paranoid and depressed while having violent and unpredictable mood swings. I cried every single day. I eventually had to drop out of school because I couldn't control my moods. Horrible pill pushed by a horrible doctor."

Freddy2017 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I have previously been on yasmin for around 8 years. Before this, I was taking Dianette. Yes, the yasmin pill was an effective treatment for controlling my acne, but I didn't realise whilst taking it that I was actually suffering from side effects. These included a huge appetite, constant fatigue, migraines, mild depression, anxiety, mood swings, and the rare side effect of excessive sweating. I have since come off the pill now for 4 months and all these issues have slowly resolved, although the depression and anxiety increased for 2 months after coming off. My acne has returned with vengeance at the age of 28 and my hair has thinned a lot because of all the hormonal changes. DON'T TAKE IT! YOU WILL PROBABLY REGRET IT IN THE LONG RUN!"

Jessica A August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I would only recommend this for hormonal cystic acne, it did nothing for my blackheads and closed comodones and after one year I stopped taking it. There were a few side effects, especially lowered libido but nothing scary."

Xxvespera August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am have just completed my 3rd packet of yasmin. My acne is much much better. Skin feels a lot smoother. I am no longer having the large cystic acne and pus filled nodules. I get odd pimples and my skin is far from perfect but there is a massive improvement. They do say give it at least up to 6 months to get the full benefits of it. I will write another review in 6months. Also I advise not just to rely on yasmin but keep a strict skincare routine."

Kikid (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I don't normally leave reviews but this page has helped me so much today I feel to share my experiences in the hope that it will help others too. I started taking Yasmin 4 months ago and everything was fine for the first 2 packs. Periods were very short and light, skin was clear, no problems at all. I'm a first time mum so my stress levels are are always high so when I started feeling bouts of anxiety I thought nothing of it. 2 months on and I feel like I'm a different person, I cry every day, bouts of uncontrollable rage, lethargy, depression - the works! Stupidly I didn't put 2 and 2 together until the weight gain began, almost 1kg per month! Suffice to say this pill isn't for everybody!"

Ldot (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "BEWARE THE DEVIL PILL!! The utmost worst experience of my life on Yasmin. The first month was ok..... continued to take it, up until the third month I started to see the side effects creeping through. My hair was falling out and I began to get very thin lining on the top of my scalp which is horrible!!! And looks horrible too. My anxiety was at its worst I gained at least 10 kilos within four months of being on this pill and was recommended by my doctor to take it as it is one that most likely you wouldn't gain weight on I guess all bodies are different. However... The 5/6th month of being on this pill was the worst time of my life.... my depression was so high and strong and I felt as though I could not function at all! Don't recommend it"

Kathy.E August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had acne my entire life tried everything from roaccutane to special diets to expensive creams and nothing worked. Started Yasmin and my skin became absolutely flawless. I wanted a kid, so I stopped the pill and my acne came back instantly. My son is now 5 months and I've started Yasmin again because I need my acne to be gone! I'm 29 and it's annoying to have skin his bad. This pill makes me crazy, but I'll take the craziness for clear skin. My sex drive disappeared while I was on it too. Lost weight which was a plus."

Nateish (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I am suffering from irregular menstrual cycle, heavy flow, intolerable cramps and mood swings. I went to a doctor and she found that I had myoma in my uterus; it has been causing the heavy flow and pain. She put me on Yasmin saying that it will ease the pain, decrease my flow and make the cycle regular. The first pack made me so miserable because I couldn't stopped bleeding, I bled for 29 days straight with heavy flow, like it was the first day of my period. The doctor made me stop taking it because I was bleeding too much, she said that my body is reacting too much to the pill. Other than this, decreased appetite, better mood, bigger boobs. Couldn't see a difference in my acne."

Samdarko (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Awful pill! I started taking this pill three months ago as my previous pill was making me hypersensitive to the sun (Gedarel). I think I'd rather live like a vampire than try and cope with the mood swings from this pill. My poor fiancé has even mentioned how bad my mood swings have been and it makes me feel awful being so up and down all the time. I am going to change it this week and hopefully be more successful with the next one. I am a very happy go lucky person and this pill is the worst I have ever been on. I have been on Micro 30, Dianette and Gedarel in the past 7 years and is one is by far the worst. My sister is on this one too and she is fine so just goes to show how individual it can be to react to certain pills."

Kezbeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was super terrified to try yasmin, but I wanted to try it for my hormonal acne. Yasmin has really helped (so far), my face has been gradually clearing up during the past 3 weeks and my painful cysts are flattening. My skin is whiter too - less red and blotchy. So happy about that! I lost about 5 kilos in 3 days. I wore one pair of pants one day that were tight and had to change them at the end of the day because my thighs and stomach had so noticeably shrunk. It was like I took some kind of shrinking potion! I kept my chest though :) I love yasmin so far. I have more energy, less hair fall, better skin, no emotional flairs, and it's helped with the insomnia that I got after my friend died. I sleep like a baby now. I was slightly nauseous for the first 2 days."

CCKara (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "It did stop my acne but now that I decided to stop it, my hair is falling out so badly I am not sure It will be any hair left... I am regretting the minute I started this pill. Don't make the same mistake. It WILL make you bald!"

Lesleynoa (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill was great for the first year, I lost weight, had no side effects and light periods. I then started having TERRIBLE problems with my stomach, similar to IBS-D. I have since done a lot of reading and found that many women have had this experience with Yasmin. I am switching to the vaginal ring this week and hope that my stomach problems will go away somewhat. I also have started suffering from migraines before and during my period break which I never had before."

NC90 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2017