User Reviews for Yasmin

Yasmin has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 465 ratings on Drugs.com. 39% of those users who reviewed Yasmin reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.4
Summary of Yasmin reviews 5.4 465 reviews

Reviews for Yasmin

Victoriamcc June 17, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I started Yasmin as I read that it helped with severe PMS and didn’t cause weight gain. In short, thought I was dying when taking this. A list of the symptoms I was experiencing, which have gone since I stopped taking it: Extreme fatigue (big into my fitness and I couldn’t do a 10 minute walk at times) Extreme emotions (crying, depression) whilst feeling numb and disconnected. Joint pain, knees especially Muscle pain and shooting pains in arms and legs. DOMS would last 5 days instead of 1 day. Weight gain - over a stone Constant nausea Night sweats Anxiety and chest pains, regular heart palpitations Declining kidney function Painful, swollen feet Bleeding under the skin Bad headaches Sore eyes and blurred vision Hair loss and brittle, broken nails Please reconsider taking this pill, I think it’s awful. now on the copper IUD and I’ll take the very painful periods any day over how I felt on Yasmin.”

Sophieblake · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

For Acne: “I was put on Yasmin 3 months ago for my acne as well as a use of contraceptive. Over the past three months my skin had gotten so much worse. Big cystic spots around my jawline and cheeks as well as small under the skin pimples. I've suddenly started to realise myself changing with depressive moods, anxiety, emotional wreck, weight gain and generally not myself. I will not be taking my fourth month packet as the hope for clear skin is just not worth this feeling. My advice- don't take this pill.”

Rubyx66 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “I changed to this pill after I was told to stop Dianette due to its increased risk of blood clots. I’d never had an issue on the pill previously. Since beginning this pill I have realised my mental health has slowly declined. This is probably the scariest thing as I didn’t actually realise how much I had changed as a person until it was already doing damage. I began having low moods, energy, and worst of all having such a lack of confidence compared to myself before this pill 8 months prior. Everybody is different and we will all react differently to contraception but I just want to let those know who don’t feel themselves on this pill don’t just brush it off and ask to change if you feel something isn’t right for you!”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “DO NOT TAKE THÌS. My 16 year old has just attempted to take her own life after 4 months on this pill. She was happy go lucky till taking this. I sit here crying writing this, seeing what it's done to my girl, it should be banned”

Soph June 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this Yasmin pill for a few months now and I have to say I’m really happy with it! I am a bit more emotional and sad but that comes with any pill really. I’ve gone through about 3 pills and found this one is the best. I have shorter and lighter periods and no cramps which is amazing. My skin is clear and my boobs have grown also. I do recommend this but keep in mind every pill has different effects for everyone:)”

Yaz February 13, 2020

For Acne: “I started Yasmin after suffering from mild acne. I have been on Yasmin for 6 months and my skin has mostly cleared up. First 4 months of Yasmin, my skin was SO much worse, mild acne to cystic acne, with a breakout every few days. Now I am almost at 6 months I stopped breaking out in cystic acne and my skin has cleared up. I think Yasmin takes 6-9 months to see the full effect. The side effects that I noticed in the beginning - breakthrough bleeding, increased hair shedding, went away after the first few months. I feel that I stopped some of the side effects with vitamins and supplements. It is so important you supplement with certain vitamins as the pill depletes these - zinc, B vitamins, iron, vitamin E, D3, etc. I also take MSM (sulfur) which stopped my hair shedding and regrew my hair thicker. It is important to supplement as the pill depletes vitamins from your body. If you are experiencing side effects such as hair loss etc, please look into taking the above vitamins as well as MSM!”

Anonymous January 17, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’m a runner and have no history for blood clots. I started using Yasmin mid September of 2020 and November 21st I went on a run and passed out. The first hospital visit they told me I just had SVT and was sent back home. My heart rate stayed at 120 and I felt like absolute garbage I couldn’t even walk two steps without feeling like I couldn’t breathe and was about to pass out again. I went back to the ER on the 23rd, they did some tests and I came back with an abnormal test for pulmonary embolism. I got a CT and they told me I had a large clot above my heart and going into my lungs, called a saddle pulmonary embolism. I was sent to ICU and spent 5 total days at the hospital. They told me it was the largest PE they had ever seen in a person of my age I'm a late teenager). If I hadn’t gone in when I did they told me I could’ve gone into cardiac arrest. I’m not saying this is something that is going to happen to everyone but I want to share my story.”

nellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was reluctant to try a birth control for PMDD. I wasn't too confident it would help, and was concerned it would make me worse or something. However, after 2 months of being on Yasmin, I noticed GREAT improvement!! The first month I might have noticed about 25% improvement, but still had depression (which can get really bad 1 week prior to period). Second month, I noticed about a 70% improvement in PMS symptoms. Third month I noticed an additional improvement. I still get moody, but not severely depressed . This BC truly has helped me so so much. I just want to write my experience so others with PMDD can have hope.”

izzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “ This was by far the worst form of birth control I have ever taken. I am quite a strong person and this had me in tears every day, questioning all of my relationships and physically I felt drained and ill. I had no motivation to anything, no sex drive and no will to even live. Don't even start this depression causing pill, would not recommend.”

phoebe17x September 4, 2014

For Acne: “I had really bad acne. I'd cry about it for hours. I would wear a lot of makeup to hide the fact my skin was awful. I'm a very sensitive person so when people nastily commented on my make-up, it hurt. I would think it isn't my fault,it's my skin! I went to the doctors after receiving many acne medications (which had lots of side effects but no results). I was offered Yasmin before but I thought I was too young but it was my last resort before going to having Roaccutane. I was 13. I'm still on the Yasmin. I used to have irregular periods and mood swings. They've stopped and my skin is clear and beautiful now. I stopped wearing the slap and became more confident. I would recommend it!”

H December 14, 2019

For Birth Control: “2 yrs on yasmin pills 1.Beautiful glowing moist skin. 2.Proper period. 3.No pregnancy Disadvantages: 1. Severe anxiety 2.Depression 3.Low sex drive 4.Lost my sense of humor 5.Nothing makes me happy and alive 6.Morning sickness 7.Dry mouth when I wake up from fear! 8.Lost my hair 9.Foggy mind 10.Lost my self esteem I came off the pills around a month and a half. I started doing my blood tests and started taking - vitamin B - vitamin D - omega Helped me a lot in recovering ! I started drinking water a lot to flush the hormones from my system You're not alone ! We all suffered from this pill , believe me you'll be the best version of yourself after focusing on your health. You'll be fine , give some time for your body to recover and be patient with yourself ! " Love yourself and don't think of people's opinion about you ! You're in a temporary phase and this shall pass with love .. Stay strong ! With love H from Dubai”

Jenna February 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this pill for more than a decade. No issues. Slight nausea and a mild yeast infection when starting it, but those went away after the first few weeks, and after that I had 10 years of light periods, clear skin, nice hair, and stable mood. Sex drive was slightly reduced, but not enough to cause problems. I went off Yasmin for a few years to try the Paragard and honestly it’s been frustrating. Sex isn’t as much fun because I’m bleeding or PMSing for three quarters of the month, plus my periods, while not medically problematic, are annoyingly irregular - and they come with seven days of insomnia. Being on the pill put a stop to that for me. Yes, there have been a few benefits of being off it, but on balance, my natural hormones are not the magical fairy tale I keep seeing touted on the internet. I’m not saying everyone should take Yasmin, but if you’re thinking about taking it and are anxious about side effects, know that for some of us it ends up being fine.”

Mel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was taking this pill for 2 years, during this time my long waist length hair started to fall out very gradually, after about a year my thick hair had become thin and had all broken off to neck length. My doctor was adamant that this pill was not causing my problem and sent me for blood tests to see whether I had some sort of deficiency. These all came back normal. I made the decision to come off the Yasmin pill last year. My hair has only just started to grow back - this is after a year of not taking the pill. I am absolutely certain after reading other Women’s reviews on here that Yasmin caused my hair to fall out. Please please consider what you are doing when taking this pill. I took this pill like many because it is marketed as the only pill that doesn’t make you gain weight. Putting on a little weight wouldn’t have hit my mental health as hard as losing all of my hair has.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2020

For Acne: “Started Yasmin mid November after suffering from outbreaks of persistent chin acne that wouldn’t go away. First couple of weeks were fine, then came the outbreak, I didn’t break out everywhere on my face just my chin, but it was inflamed & painful, took time to heal, and hit my self esteem big time. I’m 38 always been an acne sufferer, had roaccutane at 21, which worked for a while, but after having my children my chin would flare quite severely. I was on Yasmin years ago and decided to try it again, to try and also help my heavy monthly’s to! I’m now into my third packet of pills and I’ve finally started to clear! No new outbreaks and scarring is fading nicely, my periods have been lighter & in myself it’s the best I’ve felt in a long time with PMS symptoms. For anyone struggling with the initial acne outbreak it does get better, it may not seem so right now but it does, I also used a 10% benzoyl peroxide and simple range to wash my face. Good luck x”

Beuaty January 5, 2009

For Acne: “I am 24 years old. Before I started Yasmin, I felt like I was trapped in a 47 year olds body; always tired, moody, angry and never seemed to lose weight. I've also tried every acne product know. None of them work (not for me anyway) until one day I saw a commercial on television, about "Yasmin". After talking it over with my doctor he told me to try it and see. WOW! Let me tell you what happen to me. I kid you not, after the 1st week my face was clear, I mean beautiful. I didn't have to ware any make-up and I lost 10lbs within the first month. And for some strange reason, people don't call me bipolar anymore. I tell you Yasmin works from inside out. It is GREAT.”

Lucyloo · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “This pill really does get a hard time! After reading all these reviews I completely understand people will have differing reactions to taking it.... but WOW Yasmin has been a game changer for me. I suffered with severe PMDD up to 9 days before my period and would completely change as a person, irrational, crying and starting arguments, incredibly sensitive and paranoid .... this lasted until my period came and then I would have another 2 weeks of feeling great until the build up started again. This pill along with taking 10mg of Citalopram daily has literally changed my life. I suffered for years and years with PMDD and finally live a normal life now, still get a little scratchy a couple of days before period with a little increase in how hungry I am .... but that is it! Best thing I ever did! :)”

lily April 11, 2021

For Birth Control: “So, overall Yasmin has been pretty good! I was pretty put off by all of the reviews but I decided to give it ago because every body is different! Lets start with the positives- I feel less stressed about pregnancy (I still use condoms just in case though), my acne has stayed the same as it was when I took pills just for acne - providing I have a good routine Negatives- I had quite a lot of nausea which comes and goes but overall is manageable but can make me quite tired! I had a lottt of spotting and bleeding but I didn't find it much of an issue apart from the fact that I have to wear pads all the time. Sometimes I was a bit achy- especially my boobs but they definitely got larger! Before taking Yasmin, I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and my biggest concern about taking Yasmin was that I'd heard it makes your mental health worse, but for me it has stayed the same with sometimes feeling a bit more emotional over small things, but it's manageable!”

Susie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “Highly do not recommend Yasmin. Advantages - no pregnancy, lighter periods disadvantages- weight gain, bigger breasts, no sex drive, decrease in hair quality. Within first three months already had a UTI and Yeast infection which I’ve never had before in the past. Overall bad for me, I started being way more anxious and stressed out, felt like it was way more difficult to be happy at all. Do not recommend at all!! Feel so stupid as I didn’t link any of my symptoms till now even though I only started having these issues after the pill.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

For Birth Control: “I had the WORST experience on this medication. The ONE and ONLY thing that got me through was the strength of THE HOLY SPIRIT. I took this medication for 10 days and I experienced crippling anxiety. Two months later, I am taking anxiety medication to get my body back to normal. If anybody is reading this and going through something similar, read the word of GOD. ”

Ell · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m on Yasmin for 3 years. 3 very long years. I started on Yaz And had it for a year and had breakthrough bleeding so was told to go onto Yasmin. Well. I’ve gained two stone. Skin is spotty around the time of the month which never used to happen. I cry if I’m tired or angry. I cry if sometime happens that wasn’t supposed to. I’m very emotional. I’ve had enough of it now and am changing pill after my break. My sex drive? Non existent. My mood swings? Dangerous. My body? Fat and tired.”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “My contraceptive pill has been switched 4 times in the last 2 and a half years and I can honestly say the last 3 months on this pill have been the worst of my life. Wouldn’t normally write a review on this sort of thing but I just want to say if you’re experiencing higher than normal levels of anxiety, depression, paranoia, anger etc please get off this Yasmin pill as soon as possible it turned me into a different person - look into other birth control/ acne control options. My periods normally average 2-3 days, I have been HEAVILY bleeding for a week now, this has not happened on any of my other pills, it’s honestly not worth the clear skin many other pills do the same job with skin without making you depressed. I thought I was going crazy but after reading all the reviews on this MY STORY IS EXACTLY THE SAME DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

Helen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

For Acne: “I started Yasmin 6 months ago and I love it. There has been no side effects for me, no mood swings or weight gain which I liked. I initially went on it because I started to experience hormonal acne around my jawline and chin. This has pretty much cleared up now with maybe a couple spots around my pill free week. Apart from that I would highly recommend this pill despite the negative comments I’ve read about it. Definitely give it a go if you experience hormonal acne or you want a pill that doesn’t make you retain weight.”

#acnedrivesmecrazy February 27, 2014

For Acne: “I must say this is GOD sent. I was on Yasmin for polycystic ovarian syndrome and birth control! At first I didn't know that it would help with my acne but it did help.... wow! i Was acne free for the five years that I was on Yasmin. I could actually go out without foundation it was amazing BUT for the past five months I came off the pill because I wanted to start my family, biggest mistake I ever made! My acne came back full blown and even worse than before. In that five months I tried every topical and home remedy but sad to say nothing worked now I'm back on the pill only four days and I'm already seeing a drastic improvement where my acne is concerned.”

Becca P · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2020

For Acne: “Hi! Writing this review after a year of struggle with acne that went on for about 10 months. I was 27 years old and had never struggled with acne at all in the past, I was always blessed with beautiful skin. Then out of the blue I started getting spots on my chest and face, quite badly, they were relentless and beginning to scar. I went to go and see a dermatologist and used antibiotics -lymecycline and tretinoin gel. This helped a lot... I was scared that if I came off them then I would be back to square one. I also had the coil as a contraceptive and had read this may be a contributor to the problem. I got the coil taken out and asked for yasmin. I came off the lymcyline and tretinoin and the acne has not returned! Skin has just got better and better. You would never know I had a problem. My cycle is also better controlled, I used to get a lot of break through bleeding on the coil. I am writing this review in hope it may help others!”

Ann. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “My doctor recommended this birth control to regulate my period. I was on this for about 3 months, I gained 10+ pounds from this birth control, and cried nearly everyday about the smallest things. I was so emotional and depressed. I have taken about 5 other birth controls in the past and they have never given me any side effects like this. I strongly do not recommend.”

Gwen August 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am in recovery for an eating disorder( binge purge Anorexia) and decided get prescribe “Yasmin” After researching that is does not cause hair loss or weight gain( two very important things to me in recovery). I read many reviews and ignored them thinking that as long as the stated above side effects didn’t happen I would be happy. Not only has my mental health decline ENORMOUSLY, but I have also experienced a huge increase in my appetite, and with that the gaining of 4 pounds over a mere 4 weeks, this has been extremely distressing, I cannot warn you enough, Nothing can make you gain weight but the food you put in your mouth, but it did create a sense of “lack of control” around food that I had spent months moving away from, it has made me feel CRAZY, and not myself, please listen to the long list of users that have had a awful experience and find a different one. Don’t do it to yourself and that find another one, hope this helps someone.”

Paridhi · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2013

For Acne: “I was suffering from acne since 12 years. Now I am 27. I had took various costly treatments including chemical peeling and other cosmetic treatments. When I was 25 my skin specialist suggest me Yasmin. I took it for 11 months, in first month I had little bit headache and nausea but in second month there was no discomfort like that. In third month my face was almost clear and at the end (11th month) my skin started glowing there was not a single acne or marks on my face. Friends started asking about my glowing skin. I did not gain weight. But I stopped taking Yasmin after getting glowing skin within on year acne came back. Now I am starting it again. ”

bug January 13, 2021

For Acne: “I’m on my 3rd month of Yasmin. I can't tell if it’s working or not. For the first week of every month my skin clears and then I’ll break out for the rest of it. Maybe the hormones haven’t stabilised yet so I’m going to stay on it for 6 months. No other side effects except I have had 2 migraines.”