User Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

Yasmin Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin

Dainty Diva · Taken for 10 years or more July 16, 2019

"I started Yasmin 28 after my current birth control was discontinued. I struggle with acne, severe cramping & heavy flow. Of all of the birth control pill brands I have tried, Yasmin 28 remains the best! I have had almost NO NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS! I was on the pill for less than a month when my skin started to clear. By the end of the second month, my skin was totally clear & the production of oil went from high to almost nonexistent. My issues with cramping & flow have subsided & I LOST WEIGHT!!! I give the NAME BRAND Yasmin 28 a 10! The only issue I have is the price for the name brand. It isn't covered under my insurance. I have lupus SLE & I usually have no issue taking generic medications, however, Zarah & Ocella (both generic options for Yasmin), caused bloating, consistent bleeding throughout the month, migraines & dizziness."

Charl1234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

"I have been using Yasmin now for about 6 months and absolutely love it. It has cleared my skin so much giving me much more confidence, I don’t experience any head aches, mood swings or anything bad at all really, also my boobs have gone bigger since taking it which is a bonus. I know it’s a 21 day pill and you are meant to have a period on it however as I have quite heavy periods I asked the doctor if I could just take it back to back without having a break for a period. I was told this was fine by 2 doctors and that it would not affect me whatsoever in the future of family planning!"

Anon. · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

"Only positive is my boobs looked amazing. I turned into a short fused depressed cow. Usually such a happy, placid and understanding person. Was such a shock for my partner and caused massive arguments. I experienced brain fog, severe depressive moods, severe anxiety, and my pimples didn't budge. In the end, my relationship meant too much to me to stick it out on Yasmin. My sister also had the same experience."

Florence · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 4, 2019

"I’ve been on and off with this pill for around ten years, each time having to go back on it as I’ve been unable to cope with the withdrawal symptoms. Finally had to quit taking it last month as it was causing severe heart palpitations. The contraceptive side is excellent and it also helps slightly with water weight, cleared my skin, kept my periods light and short. However, stopping this pill is a nightmare in itself. I’ve gained 7lb in a week (which I’m hoping will drop once I get a real period), insomnia, sore nipples, cramping and bloating and dizziness. You know something isn’t right when you feel you have to take a rehab detox when stopping a contraceptive."

Anonymous June 30, 2019

"I started this pill about 2 years ago, and it did clear up my face, however I began seeing symptoms of depression and anxiety like everyone else is mentioning. I already had these problems before starting the pill, therefore it’s only heightened it to the point of sometimes feeling really depressed. I couldn’t figure out why I was feeling this way and didn’t think it could be the pill since I struggled with it in the past. However, I’ve decided to stop taking it because it has to be the cause of these feelings. Everyone’s body is different- just listen to yours."

E · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

"Personally wouldn't recommend Yasmin, two weeks of taking it and my sex drive has disappeared and have experienced bleeding, extremely tired and fatigue and now I'm off it sex is excruciatingly painful"

G · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

"I have had no bad side effects from this, but I also specifically went on this pill as it would apparently help clear my skin but it has not helped and has made it worse. The contraceptive side is very good"

Xtine · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

"I LOVED being on my Yasmin. I struggled with the worst acne even into my late 20s and my dermatologist suggested I switch to brand name birth control. Yasmin truly changed my life and my self confidence. I recently had to get off because we are trying to conceive— but it’s the best for cycle control and acne !!!"

L · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2019

"I have never wanted to go back in time more so than I do now, been on Yasmin for 8/9 years and my hair has thinned immensely while being on it, I have now decided to stop because the side effects far outweigh the benefits it is probably the worst thing any one can put in their body, 1 month off the pill and the hair loss has begun when it thinned my hair to begin with, acne has begun when I never had before, mood swings, it caused depression anxiety and a slew of other harmful effects"

Jasmin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2019

"I found this forum because I googled "can Yasmin cause depression" I was an extremely sporty and energetic person, my house was always clean and I had loads of time for my children. I have been on this pill for I would say 8 months now and I am a shell of myself. I have been for blood tests to see why I feel exhausted, weak and sick constantly. I have no control over my emotions, have lost interest in life in general and have zero sex drive. I am off it after reading this thread and cannot believe a pill may have done this to me. If you feel any of these side effects, stop immediately!!!"

RR19 June 1, 2019

"I was on Yasmin about 4 years ago and seemed to be doing ok then when I went to get my prescription my doctor said Yasmin was too dangerous due to blood clots etc so I had to go on Rigvideon (UK contraceptive pill generic of Nordette or Levora 0.15/30). Rigvedion turned my life upside down for 18 months - horrendous anxiety for no reason, the start of depression, major brain fog, socially withdrawn and crying nearly everyday. I was pill free for around 3 years after that awful experience. I decided to go back on Yasmin recently as the pill makes my spot prone skin (at nearly 30) so clear, improves painful and heavy periods and obviously as contraception. However after just two months on it I am absolutely exhausted, constant fatigue even though sleeping well, feeling lazy, down, distant and not interested in anything, intense headaches the day before and of my period starting and generally feeling like I could sleep 24/7 and don't want to work or speak to anyone. Will be coming off again now as it's just not worth it!"

Anon May 17, 2019

"While on yasmin my skin was slightly clearer, but my body was terrible after I stopped the pill while my lifestyle remained constant before, during and after. Before while on Yasmin my period came every 1.5 months. After I got off the pill in Jul 2017, the time between my period lengthened until I had no period for 8 months by Aug 2018. Throughout the 8 months, my skin was the worst. Horrible inflamed cysts. Huge, angry, populating my entire jawline and neck. I was also getting sick more often. During that period, I visited a women's and children's hospital, the doctor said that there seemed to be nothing wrong with my body but I should have not been given Yasmin as it was too strong for a first time user."

Lg333 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 8, 2019

"I’ve been on Yasmin for 2 years now and never had any problems with it, 10/10 effective for birth control for me but then again I’m very conscious of taking mine at the same time everyday. Although in the past 6 months I get really bad mood swings and that’s the only thing I could fault it on."

C April 15, 2019

"The Yasmin pill has KILLED people and it known to give blood clots. I wish I never put this in my body. It completely changed who I was as person. I am starting to get myself back to normal again. The only thing it did for me was give me really clear skin. Now that I have stopped taking it I have started to break out but I will take pimples over putting this pill back into my body. Please be careful with Yasmin. I’m warning you from one female to another... do your research and look out for yourself. It mucked up my life."

Stella · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2019

"I'm 30 and on Yasmin for acne. Since being on it I'm feeling depressed, have a low sex drive, mood swings.. Etc. Still have the same acne after 6 months. Quitting tomorrow, can't take the depression any longer. I was experiencing anxiety before Yasmin, but we found out the root of my issue were vitamin inbalances. Yasmin has taken me in the complete opposite direction. I'm done with it. I had been off birth control for 3 years and will never go back again."

Matic · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2019

"Yasmin is the only birth control from the many I tried that stopped my breakthrough bleeding. It’s helped with my horrendous acne a bit too, not perfect but it’s different. Also, for two years not only was I bleeding 3/4 weeks, I had zero sex drive now on Yasmin it has gone way up! It works like magic for me! I get a little moody but I’ll take that over bleeding anyday"

Bm75 March 26, 2019

"I am so emotional on Yasmin, all my emotions have been heightened and I mean the slightest thing tips me over the edge."

acr · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 26, 2019

"My dears, DO NOT resort to taking Yasmin. Before I used to wash my hair 1×week, sometimes even every 10 days, had perfect skin .I decided to give Yasmin up because I wanted to let my body get back to normal before trying to get pregnant. After approximately 6 months, I got cystic, painful acne on my temples, chin, neck, back, cheeks. My scalp started producing so much oil that the second day it was already greasy. And behold my hair texture changed: the new hair growth was so frizzy it looked fried. The major downfall were my bones which started cracking almost every 10 steps. And the anxiety was immense. I had times when I just couldn't control my mind and I thought I was going mad. It's been a bit over a year and I'm slowly getting back to normal, I have minor breakouts, my sebum production has gotten more easy to manage but I'm still not completely ridden of Yasmin's effects. So please, don't resort to BCP. Find natural ways to cure what needs to be healed. There are also many ways to prevent a pregnancy."

Ashley · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

"Its my first time trying yasmin, I recently got my IUD removed after 3 years because of all the wide array of horrible side effects that I experienced (cystic pimples, vision problem, 20lb weight gain) The first week on yasmin my libido increased, my face wasn't as oily as it was on IUD. Into the second week my face is slowly clearing up, but my libido definitely plummeted. Also I started to notice mood changes, I usually workout 4-5 days I week. But second week into yasmin I felt exhausted all the time, unmotivated, and flat out depressed. Going into my 3rd week I started to experience shortness of breath, dry eyes, tightness around the chest and anxiety. I woke up one night unable to breath and I was flush pale. I will be discontinuing this medication from today. I also have to see my family physician for a check up. Ladies I understand you want to be free of acne but the side effects on this one are not worth it."

summer · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2019

"I had the worst mood swings after taking Yasmin. I thought I was going crazy."

Yashater · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

"I was on Yasmin for about two weeks and it has caused me so much bad. I started experiencing severe anxiety, panic attacks, lightheadedness and even problems with my vision. I’ve been off for about a week now and things are slowly, very slowly levelling out.. My eyes are still a bit messed up and my panic attacks happen probably every other day or so along with the dizziness. At first doctors had no idea what was going on with me.. which lead me to a hospital visit because the panic attacks were so severe, as well as 3 appointments with my family doctor in just a WEEK! And a CT scan to make sure I didn’t develop a blood clot in my brain from the pill!! Unfortunately I experienced some of the worst side effects of this drug! I’m extremely scared to even consider taking any form of birth control again!! Please if you care for health don’t take this pill!!!"

Nicole February 20, 2019

"The best pill you can go on if you need to lose weight and clear up your skin! Before taking Yasmin my skin was terrible, I broke out like crazy and it was a real struggle to lose weight. Within the first 2-3 months of Yasmin my skin was beautiful and clear, and within 6 months the amount of weight I lost was crazy! At least 10 kilos lighter (along with a decent diet). The only con about Yasmin is I did get a little depressed and anxious so I decided to get off the pill, a month or two after the pill I started breaking out and I gained weight. That's why I know Yasmin helps with acne and weight loss! It's literally your best friend. I've decided to go back on the pill, can't wait to look thinner and have beautiful skin!"

Milliema · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2019

"I have been on this pill a year now. Cleared all my skin and I don’t have bad cramps or mood swings when on my period! It’s worked MAGIC! I feel much more happier and capable to do things on my period as it’s not heavy. My mood swings aren’t bad anymore and my depression has gotten better. I still suffer from anxiety but the pill has not made it worse. One down side is headaches, which may or may not be caused from the pill. But over all I do recommend this pill!"

personal experience · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2019

"This pill is MAGIC - I have tried multiple pills, rivegdon, microgynon etc all of which have given me horrible mood swings to the point of feeling depressed. Fast forward 2 years birth control free I was prescribed Yasmin to treat my acne, within 3 months my skin was the best it had ever been, it suppresses my appetite so I've lost weight (gone from size 8 to 6), and literally saving my relationship I used to be a horrible moody clingy cow and was pushing my boyfriend away, this pill has taken the 'edge' off that usual PMT rage and has just been an overall god send. If you can get this from your GP I would recommend however everybody is different and may have a different experience to me"

Bails · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2019

"I’ve been on Yasmin a year now and honestly if your doctor offers you this pill say no. They don’t tell you about the really bad mood swings you get or the anger attacks or the anxiety and depression and even the nausea I get everyday. I am now suffering with all of this because of Yasmin. I never knew how bad my anger was until my partner said about how bad it actually was. I’ve only just realised that my anger has been ridiculous over the past months. If any of you are experiencing these things I’d suggest you stop taking Yasmin and go back to your doctors for another pill. It is dangerous."