User Reviews for Yasmin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 270 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"I've been on this pill for 2 weeks now and its horrendous. My skin was perfect now my skin is really bad and I'm having outbreaks every day. My mood swings are bad and all of a sudden from being the happiest person on earth I'm becoming depressed and distant. I have a 8 month old daughter and this is not on. I am also feeling so nauseous all the time and I can't stop eating. I'm a professional dancer and I've gained weight despite dancing 12 hours a day. This pill is absolute rubbish"

Gina Amelia February 20, 2018

"Yasmin works great for me! I’ve been on it for about 6 months. During the second and third month of being on it I was experiencing nausea and heavy periods. I decided to stick it out though! My periods are now back to normal and I don’t experience nausea. I haven’t gained any weight on this birth control, I’ve actually lost a few pounds. It’s a very reliable birth control. A lot of people say something about losing their sex drive this could be because of the mood swings a lot of people experience. You just have to let your body get used to the new hormones being place into it. I love this birth control!"

jreview January 22, 2018

"Wish I never went on this. I started gaining weight rapidly. I gained 150 pounds in less than two years.In that time, I did NOT change the way I ate or how often I exercised. So, it was not due to lifestyle changes Constantly short of breath. Made my hair fall out. Made my eczema worse. I had been off it for 8 years but was getting heavy periods where I would have blood clots the size of baseballs for at least 32 hours. I went to a doctor who told me that because of this medication, I had polyps on my uterus. I had to get them taken out. Just an all around bad medication and I don't know how the drug manufacturer does this to people."

justme80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

"So, I had a weird experience on this pill. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo before this with fewer problems. First 2-3 months were okay, then I started having problems. I had 2-3 days of spotting before my period for the last two cycles, which would last at least 7-8 days. Then I also had 1-2 days of spotting after my period. I had super heavy discharge (which was extremely uncomfortable) as well as horrible mood swings and unbearable night sweats. The only good thing it did was clear up my face. I stopped taking it, and now all of a sudden I started bleeding again. Please use caution when choosing a bc so you don’t end up in a situation like mine."

Emerson K (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2018

"I am 23 years old and I took yasmin as a form of birth control for 4 months. It caused me vaginal dryness, low sex drive and pain during intercourse. In the beginning I didn't make the connection but the longer I took it the worst my symptoms were. I didn't have any weight gain or mood swings though but overall not a pleasant experience I stopped it for a while now and noticed a lot of improvement"

Moon2929 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"I stopped taking this after 4 months. The main reason I took it was to clear my skin up and after 4 packs my skin wasn’t really any better unfortunately. I could have dealt with that and just used it as birth control but it was giving me vaginal dryness during intercourse which I could not deal with! Didn’t have any noticeable effect on my weight or mood, which is a plus."

Jezebelrosiek December 27, 2017

"I never post on these forums but its nice not to feel alone! Started taking Yasmin one month ago for BC. Going to wait it out a couple of months as that seems to be the best option. I had a TERRIBLE breakout of acne (no major issues in years). I'm on the first lot of sugar pills now and skin has calmed down drastically so I'm hoping it won't break out again. Also I haven't had any bleeding yet on my 'period' week but heard this is normal. My boobs feel HUGE and tender, but I haven't noticed any weight gain, possible weight loss, but thanks to unusually large boobs I do feel large and heavy. Also just started to notice some irritability and anxiety. Skipping my period next pack due to a holiday so curious how that will affect any side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017

"I took Yasmin for 6 months. I started feeling dizzy and fainting a lot. Twice I ended up in hospital with very low blood pressure. I told doctors and my GP the only thing I had changed in my lifestyle was taking Yasmin. I was dismissed. I tried to continue exercising and noticed throbbing in my arms and legs so painful I had to stop. I told my GP I thought it was Yasmin. I went off it and 3 months later he checked my blood pressure and it was back to normal. I had never experienced these symptoms before Yasmin or after discontinuation. My sister was also on Yas and got an embolism/blood clot in her lungs and similar symptoms to mine. This contraception causes blood clots and loads of women have sued as it has lead to deaths. Don't risk it"

EllyIrisA December 12, 2017

"I’ve been taking Yasmin for 6 years now and have had no issues! I switched to a cheaper brand that was similar to Yasmin for a couple months and I started to get multiple bladder infections so I switched back to Yasmin. Still no problems other than decreased libido."

Mcf751 December 10, 2017

"Worst experience ever. Haven’t even made it through the first pack and have started getting zits, something I never had an issue with and also became extremely depressed, another thing I never had. I know they say to wait a bit longer until your body gets used it, but depression is nothing to wait out and see. I would be afraid if someone who had an underlying mental health issue and this drug could potentially kill them. Use this with caution if you have no other choice."

Xoxobebexoxo (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

"I've been on Yasmin for 11 months, I switched this year because on Yaz (5 years on it) I was spotting fairly regularly (more in the last 1.5-2 years).So we decided to try this one because it was the next closest to Yaz (just higher estrogen) and I did not do well on Mirena (18 months on it and I got awful cystic acne along my jaw line, I was losing my hair, and getting body hair in weird places lol I'm not a hairy person, nor do I have acne problems). I love Yasmin, it stopped my spotting, but my sex drive is basically non-existent. My skin is fine, I didn't have any strange side effects other than the decreased libido. It isn't 1 pill fits all Don't let the negative reviews scare you, talk to your DR and pharmacist about what's best for you"

Asecktual (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2017

"This pill ruined my life. Before taking this, I had very mild acne. 2 weeks into the first pack and my skin was so bad I wouldn’t leave my house. I’d never experienced anything like it before. My mood swings were crazy, I’d cry constantly for NO reason! I became extremely depressed and I had a very short temper. It killed my energy, made me fat. Oh, and my hair fell out and I got terrible Melasma on my upper lip & nose (which still hasn’t gone away...) My doc told me to stick it out for 3 months.. I hoped for the best but on month 5 I had to call it quits. Been off of it for 6 months now and my skin & mood have slightly improved but I’m still trying to undo the terrible effects caused by this pill. My skin & hair haven’t been the same since"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

"I’ve found out the hard way... want to warn people taking the pill Yasmin to really think about it. I wish my Doctors wouldn’t of recommended this to me and told me about the risks. I’m losing my hair and going bald, my skin has got worse, headaches, the lot. Horrible pill! Shouldn’t be prescribing this pill to women with horrible side affects ."

Baldy18 November 26, 2017

"Worst thing I ever did to my body. First month went by fine, break was fine. Started second pack and in two days experienced painful cramps and light bright red bleeding. 3 days later I was bleeding huge amounts, like post partum bleeding, and bright red. This did not stop. I lived on 6 ibuprofen a day. The ibuprofen burnt through my stomach and caused a HUGE IBS flare. After two weeks of intense pain and very heavy bleeding I stopped the pill. Within 4 days I had stopped bleeding completely. This was 4 weeks ago. Stomach only just recovering, but have been feeling deep aching pains every since, I think like ovulation pain. Today it ramped up. Hopefully I’m just ovulating, but I will never take a pill again."

Hneveragain November 17, 2017

"I’ve only been on the pill for four days but I’ve been nauseous from the second day of taking the pill. Does it get any better ?I’m also feeling dizzy and can’t seem to keep any food down."

Fats0w November 14, 2017

"Yasmin is the worst! I went on it to clear my acne and it made me feel like I was going crazy. Anxiety, depression and de realisation. I constantly cried and was clingy to my loved ones. I am so angry my doctor prescribed this pill without telling me about the side effects! It was only after going on the Internet did I realise just how dangerous this pill is! Stay away from it!!! I stopped as soon as I made the connection, that it was making me a different person I've never felt paranoid in my life until Yasmin! It was hard coming off too, first week hard, second week much better and by the second cycle I was finally 100%. be aware!! If you've started this pill and feeling depressed its Yasmin!!"

Survived November 10, 2017

"I am new to birth control and was worried about taking a hormonal pill because I'd heard that people can have mood swings or feel depression or gain weight... luckily NOTHING like that has happened to me during my first month. If anything, it actually helped me with my mood swings. I haven't gained any weight and I've noticed improvements in my acne, although it's not completely gone yet. I'm hopeful that within the next few months it will clear up further. The only bad thing that did happen to me was that I got EXTREMELY nauseated and sick on the third day of taking the pill. But I powered through and haven't felt any side effects since. I also was spotting for 2.5 weeks, but no pain."

RinB. (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

"I have been on Yasmin for 11 and a half years. At first I didn't have any problems . But over the last few years I have noticed terrible things happening each month. First it was spotting, breast tenderness, mood swings, sadness, headaches, irritability you know the small little things. But more severely I have heart palpitations, dizziness, and now high blood pressure "

CharlCharl October 2, 2017

"I have been taking Yasmin birth control since I'm 15. There was a few times where I had stopped taking it because -life- couldn't afford it at a younger age and I am SO forgetful I have 2 kids but I wasn't taking the birth control at those times. From me taking the pill till getting pregnant took about a year.! Both times I started taking it again recently and I've been losing weight. I have lost 10lbs. It doesn't cause acne. I don't feel lazy or drained taking it I do recommend this birth control I think it works great, from regulating a period to not getting pregnant!"

P.Adelle August 30, 2017

"This pill ruined my life a few years ago and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through it. It was a nightmare from the beginning. I threw up constantly (while still gaining a ridiculous amount of weight very quickly). I went from having clear, clean skin to it looking like I had a disease. It took over a year after stopping the pill for my face to clear up. I became paranoid and depressed while having violent and unpredictable mood swings. I cried every single day. I eventually had to drop out of school because I couldn't control my moods. Horrible pill pushed by a horrible doctor."

Freddy2017 August 29, 2017

"I don't normally leave reviews but this page has helped me so much today I feel to share my experiences in the hope that it will help others too. I started taking Yasmin 4 months ago and everything was fine for the first 2 packs. Periods were very short and light, skin was clear, no problems at all. I'm a first time mum so my stress levels are are always high so when I started feeling bouts of anxiety I thought nothing of it. 2 months on and I feel like I'm a different person, I cry every day, bouts of uncontrollable rage, lethargy, depression - the works! Stupidly I didn't put 2 and 2 together until the weight gain began, almost 1kg per month! Suffice to say this pill isn't for everybody!"

Ldot (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

"BEWARE THE DEVIL PILL!! The utmost worst experience of my life on Yasmin. The first month was ok..... continued to take it, up until the third month I started to see the side effects creeping through. My hair was falling out and I began to get very thin lining on the top of my scalp which is horrible!!! And looks horrible too. My anxiety was at its worst I gained at least 10 kilos within four months of being on this pill and was recommended by my doctor to take it as it is one that most likely you wouldn't gain weight on I guess all bodies are different. However... The 5/6th month of being on this pill was the worst time of my life.... my depression was so high and strong and I felt as though I could not function at all! Don't recommend it"

Kathy.E August 17, 2017

"Awful pill! I started taking this pill three months ago as my previous pill was making me hypersensitive to the sun (Gedarel). I think I'd rather live like a vampire than try and cope with the mood swings from this pill. My poor fiancé has even mentioned how bad my mood swings have been and it makes me feel awful being so up and down all the time. I am going to change it this week and hopefully be more successful with the next one. I am a very happy go lucky person and this pill is the worst I have ever been on. I have been on Micro 30, Dianette and Gedarel in the past 7 years and is one is by far the worst. My sister is on this one too and she is fine so just goes to show how individual it can be to react to certain pills."

Kezbeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

"I was super terrified to try yasmin, but I wanted to try it for my hormonal acne. Yasmin has really helped (so far), my face has been gradually clearing up during the past 3 weeks and my painful cysts are flattening. My skin is whiter too - less red and blotchy. So happy about that! I lost about 5 kilos in 3 days. I wore one pair of pants one day that were tight and had to change them at the end of the day because my thighs and stomach had so noticeably shrunk. It was like I took some kind of shrinking potion! I kept my chest though :) I love yasmin so far. I have more energy, less hair fall, better skin, no emotional flairs, and it's helped with the insomnia that I got after my friend died. I sleep like a baby now. I was slightly nauseous for the first 2 days."

CCKara (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

"Before taking Yasmin I was taking ortho-tri-cyclin, and didn't realize what a nightmare that bc was until I actually switched. I'm in such a good mood on Yasmin (especially right before my period) compared to how I was on ortho-tri-cyclin. I have also lost 30 pounds since I got on this medication, but I am on Wellbutrin which is known for weight loss and I also lift heavy weights 6 days a week and really changed up my diet after my first year of college. I put on a lot of weight during my freshman year (about 20 pounds) and after switching to this I weigh less than I ever did in high school!! But Yasmin did NOT make me gain weight. I really recommend this bc, it helped me a lot and I feel back to my normal self since being on it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017