User Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

Yasmin Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin

Schar June 18, 2020

“So I was on microgynon for about 4 years. At first was totally fine then somehow had put on nearly 3 stone, lost who I was, depressed and anxious. So I come off the pill for an operation and stay off, had a pregnancy scare and don’t feel comfortable with other contraceptions that stop your period due to my PCOS. My mum was on Yasmin for 20+ years and was fine with her. I asked years ago but they wouldn’t give me it because it’s usually for those who have acne but I explained my microgynon experience and the 3rd doctor I asked finally gave it me. First 3 months were difficult I got small acne on patches of my face (never had acne EVER even during teen years) and felt sick often. On my 4th pack acne disappears, no weight gain or difference in moods (might cry a bit more easily but I am taking a hormone). For now I’m happy and I’m monitoring weight and moods, honestly I’d try whatever pill your family has taken at least once because it could end up working better for you!”

Soph June 7, 2020

“I’ve been on this Yasmin pill for a few months now and I have to say I’m really happy with it! I am a bit more emotional and sad but that comes with any pill really. I’ve gone through about 3 pills and found this one is the best. I have shorter and lighter periods and no cramps which is amazing. My skin is clear and my boobs have grown also. I do recommend this but keep in mind every pill has different effects for everyone:)”

Mel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

“I was taking this pill for 2 years, during this time my long waist length hair started to fall out very gradually, after about a year my thick hair had become thin and had all broken off to neck length. My doctor was adamant that this pill was not causing my problem and sent me for blood tests to see whether I had some sort of deficiency. These all came back normal. I made the decision to come off the Yasmin pill last year. My hair has only just started to grow back - this is after a year of not taking the pill. I am absolutely certain after reading other Women’s reviews on here that Yasmin caused my hair to fall out. Please please consider what you are doing when taking this pill. I took this pill like many because it is marketed as the only pill that doesn’t make you gain weight. Putting on a little weight wouldn’t have hit my mental health as hard as losing all of my hair has.”

Jenna February 27, 2020

“I’ve been on this pill for more than a decade. No issues. Slight nausea and a mild yeast infection when starting it, but those went away after the first few weeks, and after that I had 10 years of light periods, clear skin, nice hair, and stable mood. Sex drive was slightly reduced, but not enough to cause problems. I went off Yasmin for a few years to try the Paragard and honestly it’s been frustrating. Sex isn’t as much fun because I’m bleeding or PMSing for three quarters of the month, plus my periods, while not medically problematic, are annoyingly irregular - and they come with seven days of insomnia. Being on the pill put a stop to that for me. Yes, there have been a few benefits of being off it, but on balance, my natural hormones are not the magical fairy tale I keep seeing touted on the internet. I’m not saying everyone should take Yasmin, but if you’re thinking about taking it and are anxious about side effects, know that for some of us it ends up being fine.”

Susie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2020

“Highly do not recommend Yasmin. Advantages - no pregnancy, lighter periods disadvantages- weight gain, bigger breasts, no sex drive, decrease in hair quality. Within first three months already had a UTI and Yeast infection which I’ve never had before in the past. Overall bad for me, I started being way more anxious and stressed out, felt like it was way more difficult to be happy at all. Do not recommend at all!! Feel so stupid as I didn’t link any of my symptoms till now even though I only started having these issues after the pill.”

Ell · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

“I’m on Yasmin for 3 years. 3 very long years. I started on Yaz And had it for a year and had breakthrough bleeding so was told to go onto Yasmin. Well. I’ve gained two stone. Skin is spotty around the time of the month which never used to happen. I cry if I’m tired or angry. I cry if sometime happens that wasn’t supposed to. I’m very emotional. I’ve had enough of it now and am changing pill after my break. My sex drive? Non existent. My mood swings? Dangerous. My body? Fat and tired.”

izzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

“ This was by far the worst form of birth control I have ever taken. I am quite a strong person and this had me in tears every day, questioning all of my relationships and physically I felt drained and ill. I had no motivation to anything, no sex drive and no will to even live. Don't even start this depression causing pill, would not recommend.”

QT · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2020

“I’ve been using Yasmin for over a year now and it’s cleared my skin and lightened my heavy periods as that was the reason I had to go on it. But I cannot stop crying?!? Like I never would’ve been like that before and now I never want to go anywhere or go out. I feel like I’ve pushed all my friends away. I just feel irritated that I’m so emotional and that I can’t do anything to help the situation , it’s so frustrating. Honestly it’s a hit or miss for everyone, but there’s more good days than bad days which is a plus. I just feel a bit depressed and stress out about every small thing and get worked up over nothing. But I don’t think I’d be able to stop taking it because, it has done what it was suppose to as my periods have decreased a lot in cramps and duration. It would last a week but with the pill it lasts 4 days at the most!”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

“My contraceptive pill has been switched 4 times in the last 2 and a half years and I can honestly say the last 3 months on this pill have been the worst of my life. Wouldn’t normally write a review on this sort of thing but I just want to say if you’re experiencing higher than normal levels of anxiety, depression, paranoia, anger etc please get off this Yasmin pill as soon as possible it turned me into a different person - look into other birth control/ acne control options. My periods normally average 2-3 days, I have been HEAVILY bleeding for a week now, this has not happened on any of my other pills, it’s honestly not worth the clear skin many other pills do the same job with skin without making you depressed. I thought I was going crazy but after reading all the reviews on this MY STORY IS EXACTLY THE SAME DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

ch · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 10, 2020

“I have tried many contraception (pills and implants) but was happy with Yasmin. Boobs grew and I felt good whilst taking the pill. I did have increased anxiety and depression on the 7 day break due to hormones but I enjoyed taking this. I've had to stop due to migraines and migraines with aura”

charlotte849 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2020

“Was on Yasmin for 6 years and for the first few years, everything was fine. No side effects at all. Until recently when I started getting low moods, severe anxiety, IBS, and then ended up in A&E with severe abdominal pain which turned out to be gallstones, all of which were attributed to this pill. So, cons: • Anxiety • Depression • Gallstones • IBS Pros: • Didn't get pregnant • Clear skin • Regular periods Did the pros worth the cons? Absolutely not.”

Moodlebumhug · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“As someone who suffers with emotional instability anyway I wasn’t surprised to learn the awful ways of this pill but since I’d tried spironolactone with no result and had an unwanted pregnancy I had no choice but to go back on this pill. Week 1,2,3 I was thinking maybe I’ve overcome my mental illness, but my boyfriend begs to differ. I am even more delusional, paranoid, controlling and obsessive. But hey month 2, my relationship is almost over but at least my hormonal acne is clearing ... it was either pairing this with spironolactone or going on roaccutane .”

Kim · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

“I’ll just start by saying if I could rate this drug -10 I would. I was on this pill for 2 months and in that time I developed severe depression, didn’t want to leave the house, had the worst anxiety and self worth issues. I felt so low and even had such dark thoughts. My first period after starting the pill was the worst experience of my life, the pains were excruciating. The pain woke me up in the middle of the night and it was so bad that I was contemplating going to A&E. I couldn’t even stand up straight, and I’ll also mention that I have a high pain tolerance and periods never usually affect me. I initially went on the pill to clear my acne and it did clear a little but I’m not sure if it was Yasmin or other medication that helped. Since coming off the pill I’ve had such bad headaches and unbelievably dry eyes which stings, causes blurry vision and is very annoying. I also had a lot of hair loss on my temples. I was only on this for a short time and all of this happened.”

Lop December 29, 2019

“This is a good birth control pill! I've been on Yasmin for a couple years and it has never failed on me. I also took it for acne but that was hit or miss. I go through periods where my skin is clear and then periods where my skin is bad. If I wasn't on Yasmin though, my skin would be 10x worse! In addition, my periods have gotten very light and only last 4 days. No mood swings, no nausea, no headaches. I truly recommend this pill.”

Avoid it December 18, 2019

“I started yasmin 3 months into my happy, healthy relationship. I was never a jealous, insecure person, and I had hardly even experienced severe anxiety before. The first 4 months of this pill, my skin cleared up, I was happy with how it made my body look and it didn’t effect my mood at all. Another 3 months on and it was the worst experience of my life. I’ve never felt so low, depressed, insecure, I thought my boyfriend was constantly cheating on me or didn’t love me. I took it out on him and it really damaged my relationship for a while!! I lost contact with my friends and only ever wanted to be in bed away from everyone. I felt like I was watching my life go by in a routine I couldn’t get out of, I felt constantly bored and sad and cried constantly!! The worst thing is I never even clocked that it was the pill so I was convinced I was going crazy!! I came off the pill and even though I’m better than I was... I haven’t felt the same since. AVOID THIS PILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

H December 14, 2019

“2 yrs on yasmin pills 1.Beautiful glowing moist skin. 2.Proper period. 3.No pregnancy Disadvantages: 1. Severe anxiety 2.Depression 3.Low sex drive 4.Lost my sense of humor 5.Nothing makes me happy and alive 6.Morning sickness 7.Dry mouth when I wake up from fear! 8.Lost my hair 9.Foggy mind 10.Lost my self esteem I came off the pills around a month and a half. I started doing my blood tests and started taking - vitamin B - vitamin D - omega Helped me a lot in recovering ! I started drinking water a lot to flush the hormones from my system You're not alone ! We all suffered from this pill , believe me you'll be the best version of yourself after focusing on your health. You'll be fine , give some time for your body to recover and be patient with yourself ! " Love yourself and don't think of people's opinion about you ! You're in a temporary phase and this shall pass with love .. Stay strong ! With love H from Dubai”

Sam December 12, 2019

“YASMIN RUINED MY RELATIONSHIP! When I first started the pill I LOVED it, my skin eventually got improved and my skin was SOOO clear! My boobs looked amazing too, well that’s the only positive things I can say about Yasmin. When it comes to my mental health it literally made me CRAZY! I’m naturally a very calm, happy and collected person. But these pills made me cry in front of my ex over small things, we couldn’t hold a serious conversation without me not crying, I could get moody over small things and then I couldn’t snap out of it which made things worse, I’ve felt extremely anxious, paranoid and depressed. My added anxiety have made me feel more insecure about myself, I have no energy to do my old activities that I used to enjoy, I feel lazy and like I can’t fully be in sync with my feelings. Basically: if you want great skin, go for it! But don’t be surprised if you suddenly get added depression, tears and anxiety. I’m off them now and I am already happier”

penn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2019

“Yasmin Pros: - did not become pregnant - slightly improved acne Yasmin Cons: -fatigue and brain fog - caused severe depression & suicidal urges - weekly migraines If you are even slightly prone to mental illness, consider avoiding Yasmin altogether. I took Yasmin for six months and went from almost perfect mental health to severe depression and numbness. I felt better within a week of stopping it.”

Bean · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“I have been taking Yasmin for a few months now, after being on Dianette for years, to help with bad skin. I had my 7 day pill free break and then realised I had run out, so I haven’t been on it for 2 weeks and now need to get a Drs appt to get more I’ve noticed in that two week not taking it that I’ve had no appetite to eat ‘bad foods’ I feel lighter and brighter. My mental state is clearer. I’ve had quite bad low periods and anxiety and I think I’ve just realised that it could have been pill related. After reading everyone else’s comments I can’t think why I didn’t put two and two together. I’m now quite sure I don’t want to take this again (I’m 37 and have 1 child) so need to look at alternatives!”

. · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

“I have been on Yasmin for 5 days so far and I have had constant nausea and in the past day have also experienced vomiting. Almost gives morning sickness type symptoms:/ . I will try and get to the end of the 21 days as advised by my pharmacist but if this does not stop I will definitely be coming off this pill. It is such a shame as I really wanted this to work to clear up my skin and regulate periods.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

“Yasmin was the worst decision of my life to take this. I went on it for birth control and the doctor thought it would help my endometriosis as well. At first I was happy- my skin was clear and glowing and I even lost some weight. However after a few months I started experiencing crippling anxiety and depression. After three months of this I stopped the medication but the aftermath got worse. I became so anxious and depressed I felt suicidal. Thankfully I started seeing a naturopath who helped me restore my body to its pre-Yasmin state and after 9months off the pill I started feeling like my old self. I do not recommend this!!”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2019

“At first on Yasmin I didn’t notice anything different with my moods as I had been on a different pill before Yasmin for 4 months. But then I started to become more aware that I was having no energy to do anything, anytime I got my period I would get extreme cramps which I never did before, I was just feeling so sad because of this pill. I’ve cried an abnormal amount of times, definitely not usual for me. My mood swings are atrocious as well and since I’ve a boyfriend at the moment, I’m crying and getting annoyed over the smallest things. Long story short, AVOID this pill. Only good it did was not make me put on weight and make my skin clear.”

Mny October 26, 2019

“I just come off this birth control Yasmin after suffering from the worst mood swings. I have never been so depressed and disorientated to the point where I felt like I was going crazy. I was having problems with everyone in my life. I cried day and night would lash out at people. I didn't know if it was the pill or if something was wrong with me. I thought the heart palpitations I was feeling on a daily basis was just me having some sort of anxiety disorder but they have now completely dissappeared. I can't believe I am enjoying my life again after just a week of not taking these pills. Other symptoms I had was that it made my period pain 10x worse even though its not supposed to be a real period? And migraines, don't get me started it would last for days. I don't ever really write reviews but I had to cause if there's other girls that are feeling what I felt please stay strong don't feel alone it gets so much better when you stop taking it”

F · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2019

“DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. I have been on Lucette AKA Yasmin for 14 months. I initially went on this to control my acne as it was a real bad flare up. My skin has been perfect the ONE good thing. Now for the bad points - Sex drive has been more or less non existent for the whole duration. - I have experienced some excruciating migraines with temporary visual disturbances. I have also experienced enlarged veins with leg pains which have been really frightening since this pill carries a high risk of DVT & PE. I did mention this to the practice nurse but they still allowed me to take it? I have had and still at this very moment am suffering with incredible depression and anxiety. My mood is so so low. I haven’t felt like this in my life With regards to mental health. I have no desire to socialise and have completely and utterly cut myself off. I wish I had never taken this pill and I will never use any form of contraceptive pill with hormones ever again. Please do NOT start this pill.”

alexiavoug October 21, 2019

“Yasmin birth control seriously made me so depressed I had no motivation to do anything. The few months that I took this we’re my absolute darkest days and when I stopped taking it it was the best decision I’ve ever made.”