User Reviews for Yasmin

Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"At first I thought this pill was great, after 9 months however I was an emotional mess and a stone heavier! Different pills work for different people so it's always better to try things rather than taking these reviews for gospel but they really didn't agree with me in the end. I was prescribed anti-depressants 2 months after starting Yasmin and didn't see the connection. It was only when I was finding it hard to cope whilst on the antidepressants that I did a bit of research! I've stopped taking Yasmin now and it's been almost a month. I still have the odd over thinking episode but I'm largely so much better!!! I'm still on antidepressants and have started taking the POP on Drs advice! I didn't get pregnant though so it works!"

Hayley Seaweed April 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've recently come off yasmin due to reading about the increased risk of blood clots. However I was on it for a number of years and had an OK experience with it. The positives were I had no headaches (I had excruciating migraines with marvelon) and my skin was perfect - only the occasional spot before my period similar to what it was like on diannette. However the bad side effects for me were weight gain, I put on roughly half a stone which no matter what I couldn't shift and I was tired all the time. I also had zero sex drive. I'd recommend trying yasmin if you're concerned about acne and particularly if you're looking to come off diannette. However as I say it's not perfect and everyone reacts differently."

Becca K (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken Yasmin for 3 days the second day I had calf pain in my right leg felt it a lot with walking was hoping it would go away next day but that night waking up at 5am throwing up and still feel the calf pain. I wished this worked for me cause it seemed best for my acne."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on the Yasmin pill for about 8 months now and I've turned into a diffferent person, hormonal, angry, I cry pretty much every day. I would not recommend this pill ladies. So many other options. This pill is literally the devil"

Sophiesheu March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been the best pills I have used. They have helped me lose weight, no hair lost instead it has been growing, no mood swings, no depression."

MarielP March 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Yasmin for 8 years (with a 10 month break after 5 years). I stopped to have a baby, pregnant within the first month off the pill and back on it right after birth. This pill has been great! Clear skin, no weight gain or side effects. I think people starting any pill will have a rough beginning but give it a chance. All body types are different so nothing works for everyone.... But this worked great for me."

Palsar7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't recommend this pill. Caused a massive hairloss , I lost my beautiful thick hair , I'm nearly bald. The biggest nightmare of my life , never again."

vdsvbgfb March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I lasted only 1 month on this pill. As soon as I started taking this, I was am emotional, angry, anxious mess. Everything either made me angry or it made me cry. I was also exhausted all the time. I normally work out 2-3 times a week, but I noticed I was so tired everyday, I only worked out maybe once a week. As for weight gain, I think I might have gained some water weight, but nothing too noticeable. It didn't affect my appetite too much either.I was on Junel Fe before which was great until the very end, where I started getting abnormal periods. I'm on my placebo/period week now and cramping and heavy flow. Two things I didn't have much of with Junel. I'm switching to Apri next week, and praying it works better for me!"

lovelikelola (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yasmin is a life saver in saving me from getting pregnant during my relationship with my boyfriend."

Elizabeth Ngan Ee Huey (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 3, 2017

"I give this product 5"

Big Earl January 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I started Yasmin on December 29, 2016 & began taking it regularly at 7:30PM to avoid unwanted nausea that's often reported by women who take it early in the morning. The first week was fine, the second week made me awfully depressed but I noticed clearer skin, and the third week brought along frequent urination which frightened me bc thats a symptom of pregnancy. But then with some online research, I found out that Yasmin definitely has a diuretic side effect that causes frequent urination. Instead of retaining the water (which causes bloating), frequent urination assisted in preventing bloating. In the third week, I had withdrawal bleeding 3 days into the inactive pills, which last about 5 days."

bcpuser99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Yasmin for 10 years, yes 10 and I am finally getting the guts to change contraception. My periods themselves are a complete breeze, light enough, minimal cramping, but the gap between the last pill in my pack and my period actually coming is horrendous. As a teen and in my early 20s it made me really down but just for a day, one day felt like the trade-off for not getting pregnant and I accepted it, now it's crippling migraines that effect my ability to function. Along with no sex drive. Fear of pregnancy, bad doctors and lack of education kept me suffering for years. Know your body and stand your ground. It might work for some but know when it's not working for you!"

Natcat90 January 4, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Going on Yasmin was absolutely horrible. I only lasted a week because it made me feel horribly depressed. I felt like crying all the time and just wanted to lie down and stare at the wall. It also made me nauseous all the time. Within a couple days I had multiple large zits, and I usually have minimal acne. It also killed my libido. After I stopped the pill I had two separate periods within a week of each other, and it messed with my hormones so much that I cried every day for a month straight. I will never take this Yasmin ever again."

Unhappy customer December 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was my first pill I have ever tried, and it was by far the worst one. Depression is a silent killer, no sex drive, tired, weight gain. It was not healthy for me, when I quit it I felt much better and became myself again, not worth it."

J.xo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on this birth control to prevent ovarian cysts, as my last one wasn't effective resulting in my ovary twisting. In the beginning I felt the same but suddenly began having extreme nausea. Ive been nauseous for about 4 days and it just has not let up. The pill also has been affecting my appetite immensely resulting in weight loss, which I'm not complaining about. So far I've had no issues with ovarian cysts, but it is early."

Litmas (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using this pill for 1 week now, this is my first birth control pill I have used. I am 15 and mainly wanted it for my acne and I had really really bad cramps and heavy periods. my OBGYN told me to start it on the day I started my period so I did that. The first day my head felt cloudy, and I felt as if I was high. When I woke up the next morning I had to run to the bathroom and threw up, mainly just dry heaves. I normally bloat when I'm on my period but I seem bigger than usual and my breast are extremely tender. But other people said it decreased there sex drive but I feel like it has done the complete opposite for me. My periods normally last for 8 days and I'm on my 4th right now with little to no bleeding."

....1234 December 12, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of suffering with PMDD I persuaded my Gp to let me try Yasmin as a last ditch attempt at trying to have a normal life on birth control but to help the severity of my periods. I agree with some of the comments on here about mood swings but I also think that is to do with my own level of hormones and that if you stick with it after a while this pill does work!! I have found my happy medium which is 10mg of Citalopram (AD) and this pill combined.... I feel happy and myself all the time and although maybe a tiny bit irritable prior to my period ... generally a lot happier!! Go Yasmin! :)"

LucyCheeseman1985 December 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First pill I tried. It didn't really give me noticeable side effects, but not many benefits besides no pregnancy. It didn't decrease cramps by much. I still got wicked headaches that would make me nauseous, and it decreased my sex drive. Over all when I stopped taking it I felt like I had come out of a fog, as if the pill had been dulling senses beyond just my sex drive. Happier to be on Sprintec now."

Lisa W. (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This pill has its upsides and downsides. I suffer from chronic severe migraines possibly hormone related and although in the beginning they got a lot worse, after one year on the pill my migraines have reduced to almost non-existent. I also suffer from PCOS and saw dramatic improvement with my periods. They became lighter and always on their time, whereas before the pill I used to bleed 2-3 times per month. However, this pill is not a panacea and it is definitely not harmless. My libido has reduced, I too experience the occasional paranoia and extreme irritability, my cholesterol and triglycerides have risen although I follow a balanced diet and exercise but I did not gain any weight. All in all this pill works but needs a lot of patience."

Emilianagr October 30, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very bad experience with this drug...i gained a lot of weight...also it killed my libido!!!!"

ami80 October 25, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I only lasted on Yasmin for 2.5 weeks. I'm a 29 year old mommy of 1, and haven't taken birth control in about two years. Without any birth control, my periods were very regular and my acne was moderate. I'm a fitness lover, so I'm very strict with exercise and nutrition and I keep my weight in check at all times. My OB prescribed Yasmin to treat my ovulation and menstrual cramping and moderate PMS. This pill turned me into someone else entirely. Within the first two weeks, I had acne all over my chin and under my nose. I became extremely moody, weepy, depressed, anxious, paranoid and jealous. The anxiety made my chest tight and it was hard to take deep breaths at times. I kept telling my husband when we would go out in public that I felt like I was walking in some sort of "dream world" --I wasn't really there. ...And the weight gain! I spend 5-6 days in the gym every week and eat very healthy--only splurging on small cheat meals on the weekends. In one week, I gained 4 pounds without changing anything, and my stomach stayed hard and bloated looking-it looked like I was pregnant! On top of all of that, my breasts were sore and I had breakthrough bleeding starting on week 2. I'll take cramping and PMS any day over the side effects associated with this pill."

29yearoldmommy October 9, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have PCOS and struggle with mood swings, hair loss, and pretty severe hirsutism. I have had a lot of success with Yasmin for all of the above. The most notable and stable difference comes after the 6 month mark. My body and facial hair grow back thinner and at a much slower pace, my mood is very stable and I don't lose anywhere the same amount of hair from my scalp. I also have easy and comfortable periods and my appetite is very stable on Yasmin, which I can't say about other pills. I haven't put on any weight as a result. The first 2 weeks of being on Yasmin can be difficult (nausea, headaches) and I don't recommend it for very sedentery/very unfit ladies, as the risk of clotting is slightly higher because of its Drospirenone content."

Treating PCOS (Very Hirsute) October 7, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been diagnosed with PCOS and it was chosen that I would take Yasmin. I was fine for 4 months, then I started bleeding and didn't stop for over 3 weeks! Dreadful pill! Didn't help properly at all! I don't advise for anyone to take it!"

00Chloe123456789 September 28, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i took yasmin for one month, it was my first bc and it was the worst. i was handed a free sample of evil. i had a open sore appear on my face roughly the size of a dime and stayed open until i discontinued the use. my period also continued for the entire month. worst birth control i ever took and i have tried many now."

taralala (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This pill is a nightmare! Horrific moodswings and general snappiness most of the time, with days of total lethargy and tearful depression. Also gave me chronic diarrhoea throughout my period and problems sleeping. It turned me into a different person which was frightening."

Flollywubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016