User Reviews for Yasmin

Yasmin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"So I just finished my first pack and so far am loving it. For the first few days I felt a bit nausea but that quickly disappeared. I've also notice clearer skin and all my friends has commented on that, proof if it does show. Just a little worried that I actually see red spots under my skin much like bruising at points but those disappear after as well even though they were visible on and off through out the pack."

Rochelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

"I was on this pill for 3 months and ended up very sick with an auto immune disorder (erythema nodosum) after I recovered I stupidly got back on the pill (as advised by my doctor) and found I was getting sick regularly. I stopped using this pill and had incredibly painful acne on my body, which stopped after a couple of months and I stopped getting sick so often. Although I have never had a great immune system I believe this pill caused me to get sick."

A (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2018

"I had been taking this for over a decade, since I was a teen. Never experienced any negative side effects at all. I needed it to regulate my period. No mood swings, no weight gain, no depression, the clearest skin ever. I stopped taking it six months ago. Experienced hair loss, tons of acne both facial and body, greasy skin and hair. It's been six months and these are starting to subside, but periods are irregular again. I'm thinking of starting up just because it was nice to have clear skin and regular periods. I would highly recommend this brand to anyone."

bunneh (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

"WORST PILL EVER! I have bee on Yasmin for over 5 years and recently I have noticed how depressed I am, jealousy issues, insomnia, how I constantly hate on myself, feel extremely lazy and so much more. Gonna get off it as soon as possible. I have ruined so many personal relationships with the moods it has been putting me in."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 14, 2018

"I started taking Yasmin about 6 months ago & at the start the only negative side effect I noticed was my skin broke out for about a month before completely clearing up. I didn’t have weight gain other than going up a bra size - so physically it looked like everything was great. HOWEVER, I have been extremely emotional, crying all the time over the smallest things which is unlike me and I find it hard to get in positive spirits once the mood swing hits. The most surprising side effect (which I didn’t link to the pill until recently) my sex drive is almost non existence and when I do have sex it hurts incredibly due to dryness. I am 25 and have never had this issue before, and due to the timing of it am confident that’s it is Yasmin causing these problems."

Lisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"Trying Yasmin for the first time and honestly, I was freaked out by all the bad reviews in the web!! But a review from someone (a nurse), said everyone's body is different so you can't rely on others, and besides, people usually feel the need to write reviews when things are BAD, and don't bother when it's good ;) So, I'm gonna give it a justice, I've tried it for 2 weeks, expecting all these depression, mood swings, nausea, weight gain, loss of sexual desire, and all other things people say happening to them... to happen, but NO, nothing changed at all! All those did not happen at all ;) I know I only try it for 2 weeks, but this review is to tell you all ladies out there, just try it, if your body 'matches' with the pill (like mine I guess, I hope it will continue like this), it feels amazing cause you have the safety without any side effect ;)"

Elle April 7, 2018

"This pill is the worst! I gained a lot of weight rapidly on this pill, I feel depressed most days or I'll have the odd day where I feel amazing out of nowhere before plummeting back down again. My skin has broken out badly since I started taking it as well! I had none of these problems before starting this pill. My body feels disgusting because of this pill - it's not worth taking! Avoid!"

L Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2018

"I was on Yasmin for almost 6 years and it worked wonders for me, I never suffered with bad skin. I was prescribed Yasmin for heavy bleeding on my periods and it helped a lot with my flow of bleeding. I never noticed any mood changes or negative things to say about Yasmin pill. A few days ago I was diagnosed with low serotonin levels in my brain ( Neurotransmitter responsible for your moods ) doctors and pharmacists say it was because I have been on the pill for so long. I would cry all the time, became negative, moody, so anxious and depressive. I had to go on anti depressants to get my serotonin levels up again. I have never been a unhappy person or anxious person, I was always happy and an out going person. So if you want to go on the pill for any reasons make sure you do not stay on it for too long! Yasmin is a good pill for a short while but not for a long run."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 14, 2018

"So I started yasmin mid Feb 2018 and about 3 weeks in. Initially I had nausea and breast tenderness but thought thats okay. Anyway days go by and the symptoms get worse. I've had insomnia, a dull headache daily, pelvic pain and bad fatigue. I literally feel tired as soon as I wake up and can't be asked to move all day. This is definitely all down to the birth control pill as I've done tests for other things. I told my doctor who reported I finish the pack and get the IUD instead. However I won't be getting the IUD as I don't want anymore contraception after all I've been through on them. I was on mini pill and I'd say they're better than combined. Just be careful of acne flares with mini pill. Good luck all."

Juicey March 4, 2018

"I'm in my second week on Yasmin, and I have already noticed my skin is significantly clearer. In that respect, I'm doing fine. But I also happen to have a mental illness, and have noticed a drastic change in my mood. Because of my mood disorder, I pay constant attention to how I feel, and this pill has definitely downwardly shifted my mood. Also breast tenderness :/"

yep February 28, 2018

"I went on this after having a bad experience with another pill. I had no problems on this one, didn't experience spotting or anything also. I naturally have bad acne and this didn't help one bit, but it was effective BC. My periods were light and I didn't have cramping. Once I went off my period came back like a nonstop waterfall and that's how it's been ever since, which is annoying."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

"So taken this pill for about 3 years and it was all great. I was advise to stop taking it as you shouldn't take Yasmin for too long apparently and I ignored what I was told as the pill agreed with me, no mood swings or crazy side affects etc. I also read a lot of terrible reviews about Yasmin which I decided to ignore because it 'agreed' with me. Today I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with periorificial dermatitis due to taking birth control pills. I hope it is not to difficult to get rid of but really do feel like this pill is a ticking time bomb until something goes wrong for you. Don't take it - use a condom.."

xx (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2018

"I've been on this pill for 2 weeks now and its horrendous. My skin was perfect now my skin is really bad and I'm having outbreaks every day. My mood swings are bad and all of a sudden from being the happiest person on earth I'm becoming depressed and distant. I have a 8 month old daughter and this is not on. I am also feeling so nauseous all the time and I can't stop eating. I'm a professional dancer and I've gained weight despite dancing 12 hours a day. This pill is absolute rubbish"

Gina Amelia February 20, 2018

"Yasmin works great for me! I’ve been on it for about 6 months. During the second and third month of being on it I was experiencing nausea and heavy periods. I decided to stick it out though! My periods are now back to normal and I don’t experience nausea. I haven’t gained any weight on this birth control, I’ve actually lost a few pounds. It’s a very reliable birth control. A lot of people say something about losing their sex drive this could be because of the mood swings a lot of people experience. You just have to let your body get used to the new hormones being place into it. I love this birth control!"

jreview January 22, 2018

"Wish I never went on this. I started gaining weight rapidly. I gained 150 pounds in less than two years.In that time, I did NOT change the way I ate or how often I exercised. So, it was not due to lifestyle changes Constantly short of breath. Made my hair fall out. Made my eczema worse. I had been off it for 8 years but was getting heavy periods where I would have blood clots the size of baseballs for at least 32 hours. I went to a doctor who told me that because of this medication, I had polyps on my uterus. I had to get them taken out. Just an all around bad medication and I don't know how the drug manufacturer does this to people."

justme80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

"So, I had a weird experience on this pill. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo before this with fewer problems. First 2-3 months were okay, then I started having problems. I had 2-3 days of spotting before my period for the last two cycles, which would last at least 7-8 days. Then I also had 1-2 days of spotting after my period. I had super heavy discharge (which was extremely uncomfortable) as well as horrible mood swings and unbearable night sweats. The only good thing it did was clear up my face. I stopped taking it, and now all of a sudden I started bleeding again. Please use caution when choosing a bc so you don’t end up in a situation like mine."

Emerson K (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2018

"I am 23 years old and I took yasmin as a form of birth control for 4 months. It caused me vaginal dryness, low sex drive and pain during intercourse. In the beginning I didn't make the connection but the longer I took it the worst my symptoms were. I didn't have any weight gain or mood swings though but overall not a pleasant experience I stopped it for a while now and noticed a lot of improvement"

Moon2929 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"I stopped taking this after 4 months. The main reason I took it was to clear my skin up and after 4 packs my skin wasn’t really any better unfortunately. I could have dealt with that and just used it as birth control but it was giving me vaginal dryness during intercourse which I could not deal with! Didn’t have any noticeable effect on my weight or mood, which is a plus."

Jezebelrosiek December 27, 2017

"I never post on these forums but its nice not to feel alone! Started taking Yasmin one month ago for BC. Going to wait it out a couple of months as that seems to be the best option. I had a TERRIBLE breakout of acne (no major issues in years). I'm on the first lot of sugar pills now and skin has calmed down drastically so I'm hoping it won't break out again. Also I haven't had any bleeding yet on my 'period' week but heard this is normal. My boobs feel HUGE and tender, but I haven't noticed any weight gain, possible weight loss, but thanks to unusually large boobs I do feel large and heavy. Also just started to notice some irritability and anxiety. Skipping my period next pack due to a holiday so curious how that will affect any side effects!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017

"I took Yasmin for 6 months. I started feeling dizzy and fainting a lot. Twice I ended up in hospital with very low blood pressure. I told doctors and my GP the only thing I had changed in my lifestyle was taking Yasmin. I was dismissed. I tried to continue exercising and noticed throbbing in my arms and legs so painful I had to stop. I told my GP I thought it was Yasmin. I went off it and 3 months later he checked my blood pressure and it was back to normal. I had never experienced these symptoms before Yasmin or after discontinuation. My sister was also on Yas and got an embolism/blood clot in her lungs and similar symptoms to mine. This contraception causes blood clots and loads of women have sued as it has lead to deaths. Don't risk it"

EllyIrisA December 12, 2017

"I’ve been taking Yasmin for 6 years now and have had no issues! I switched to a cheaper brand that was similar to Yasmin for a couple months and I started to get multiple bladder infections so I switched back to Yasmin. Still no problems other than decreased libido."

Mcf751 December 10, 2017

"Worst experience ever. Haven’t even made it through the first pack and have started getting zits, something I never had an issue with and also became extremely depressed, another thing I never had. I know they say to wait a bit longer until your body gets used it, but depression is nothing to wait out and see. I would be afraid if someone who had an underlying mental health issue and this drug could potentially kill them. Use this with caution if you have no other choice."

Xoxobebexoxo (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

"I've been on Yasmin for 11 months, I switched this year because on Yaz (5 years on it) I was spotting fairly regularly (more in the last 1.5-2 years).So we decided to try this one because it was the next closest to Yaz (just higher estrogen) and I did not do well on Mirena (18 months on it and I got awful cystic acne along my jaw line, I was losing my hair, and getting body hair in weird places lol I'm not a hairy person, nor do I have acne problems). I love Yasmin, it stopped my spotting, but my sex drive is basically non-existent. My skin is fine, I didn't have any strange side effects other than the decreased libido. It isn't 1 pill fits all Don't let the negative reviews scare you, talk to your DR and pharmacist about what's best for you"

Asecktual (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2017

"This pill ruined my life. Before taking this, I had very mild acne. 2 weeks into the first pack and my skin was so bad I wouldn’t leave my house. I’d never experienced anything like it before. My mood swings were crazy, I’d cry constantly for NO reason! I became extremely depressed and I had a very short temper. It killed my energy, made me fat. Oh, and my hair fell out and I got terrible Melasma on my upper lip & nose (which still hasn’t gone away...) My doc told me to stick it out for 3 months.. I hoped for the best but on month 5 I had to call it quits. Been off of it for 6 months now and my skin & mood have slightly improved but I’m still trying to undo the terrible effects caused by this pill. My skin & hair haven’t been the same since"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

"I’ve found out the hard way... want to warn people taking the pill Yasmin to really think about it. I wish my Doctors wouldn’t of recommended this to me and told me about the risks. I’m losing my hair and going bald, my skin has got worse, headaches, the lot. Horrible pill! Shouldn’t be prescribing this pill to women with horrible side affects ."

Baldy18 November 26, 2017