User Reviews for Yasmin

Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"Awful pill! I started taking this pill three months ago as my previous pill was making me hypersensitive to the sun (Gedarel). I think I'd rather live like a vampire than try and cope with the mood swings from this pill. My poor fiancé has even mentioned how bad my mood swings have been and it makes me feel awful being so up and down all the time. I am going to change it this week and hopefully be more successful with the next one. I am a very happy go lucky person and this pill is the worst I have ever been on. I have been on Micro 30, Dianette and Gedarel in the past 7 years and is one is by far the worst. My sister is on this one too and she is fine so just goes to show how individual it can be to react to certain pills."

Kezbeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was super terrified to try yasmin, but I wanted to try it for my hormonal acne. Yasmin has really helped (so far), my face has been gradually clearing up during the past 3 weeks and my painful cysts are flattening. My skin is whiter too - less red and blotchy. So happy about that! I lost about 5 kilos in 3 days. I wore one pair of pants one day that were tight and had to change them at the end of the day because my thighs and stomach had so noticeably shrunk. It was like I took some kind of shrinking potion! I kept my chest though :) I love yasmin so far. I have more energy, less hair fall, better skin, no emotional flairs, and it's helped with the insomnia that I got after my friend died. I sleep like a baby now. I was slightly nauseous for the first 2 days."

CCKara (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before taking Yasmin I was taking ortho-tri-cyclin, and didn't realize what a nightmare that bc was until I actually switched. I'm in such a good mood on Yasmin (especially right before my period) compared to how I was on ortho-tri-cyclin. I have also lost 30 pounds since I got on this medication, but I am on Wellbutrin which is known for weight loss and I also lift heavy weights 6 days a week and really changed up my diet after my first year of college. I put on a lot of weight during my freshman year (about 20 pounds) and after switching to this I weigh less than I ever did in high school!! But Yasmin did NOT make me gain weight. I really recommend this bc, it helped me a lot and I feel back to my normal self since being on it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please !!!! If you are taking Yasmin/Yaz stop immediately. 8 years ago at 37 I had a blood clot in my leg (DVT) that moved into both sides of lungs (PE) I was completely healthy ! I had two filters and stent inserted. When I went into the hospital the doctors and nurses told me they see way too many young women die or almost die from blood clots from Yasmin. Please research it ! I now 8 yrs later have to go back in to get my last filter removed so please just switch to another brand of birth control. It could seriously save your life !"

Cink (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Yasmin for 11 years now consistently and have absolutely zero issues, complaints or problems. No weight gain, clear skin, and my moods are as normal and fluctuate based on my regular monthly hormone fluctuations. However I see numerous comments on the first few weeks from users, and it's important to know that everyone is different! We are all built uniquely and our bodies have a one of a kind reaction to anything, particularly birth control. I'm a nurse in the public health sector and I advise all my patients to give their new birth control at least 3 months before deciding to call it quits. There's a lot of hormones going into your body at once and you need to let it settle! Good luck with whatever contraception you choose"

Moocat (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great as a contraceptive. No weight gain. clear skin. Unfortunately constipated and major hair loss. 6 months after stopping the pill, constipation was much less, my hair started to grow back & my skin was not as clear anymore."

Justynaweyers June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 22 and I've been taking yasmin for almost a year and it's pretty much okay, my skin is clear and cramps and PMS are a lot better than before. Side effects though are weight gain (around 13 lbs) along with bigger boobs and everything which is really not great. Also I have zero sex drive which is making me feel bad. I am thinking about switching to a lower dosage pill but I'm not sure about other pills because I have migraines and I'm worried it'll get worse (yasmin didn't really affect it)."

chahh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Yasmin/generic brand in January 2017. I was put on anti-depressants at the same time. The first one was citalopram. I blamed it for my feeling out of it and depressed. After reading some of these comments I realize it possibly was the Yasmin. I'm not sure about anyone else but I have uncontrollable, teary, depression during the 2nd week of the pills. I am at a point where I will probably change because this is not good for my mental health. As awful as this medication is for my mental health, it has been helpful in lowering my flow and cramps. That's the only bright side of this medication for me."

Ali_Badazzle June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"just over a week on from taking yasmin... first fews days a noticed being slightly more emotional as in I cried pretty much every day for 3 days but my angryness was a lot calmer, iI found that it relaxed me a bit.... crying has stopped after roughly 3rd day in. Generally feeling happier and more calm , being a moody person due to hormones yasmin has helped with this. My skin has not yet cleared up.... hoping it does but will keep updated only been a week. my head I believe has been a bit cloudy, e.g. was driving the other day and didn't feel like i was completely there and hard to concentrate sometimes. I'm not sure if this is from yasmin but it might be worth thinking about and checking in on. bloatedness has gone! and decreased appetite."

yaz - one week in June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this pill a few years ago at the age of 24 for about a year and at the time it was great! Acne cleared up, no cramps or weight gain, no effect on sex-drive and didn't get pregnant. I stopped taking it when my relationship broke down. Fast forward to age 29 and due to upcoming wedding decided to take it again to try and get my skin clear... been back on it for 9 months now and struggling with it. Acne doesn't seem to have improved, sex-drive gone completely and feel nauseous constantly (except pill-free weeks... I actually look forward to my period these days as it's the only time I can actually enjoy food). I have 1 month til our wedding and going to change after that"

Dreamcatcher87 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I thought this pill was great, after 9 months however I was an emotional mess and a stone heavier! Different pills work for different people so it's always better to try things rather than taking these reviews for gospel but they really didn't agree with me in the end. I was prescribed anti-depressants 2 months after starting Yasmin and didn't see the connection. It was only when I was finding it hard to cope whilst on the antidepressants that I did a bit of research! I've stopped taking Yasmin now and it's been almost a month. I still have the odd over thinking episode but I'm largely so much better!!! I'm still on antidepressants and have started taking the POP on Drs advice! I didn't get pregnant though so it works!"

Hayley Seaweed April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've recently come off yasmin due to reading about the increased risk of blood clots. However I was on it for a number of years and had an OK experience with it. The positives were I had no headaches (I had excruciating migraines with marvelon) and my skin was perfect - only the occasional spot before my period similar to what it was like on diannette. However the bad side effects for me were weight gain, I put on roughly half a stone which no matter what I couldn't shift and I was tired all the time. I also had zero sex drive. I'd recommend trying yasmin if you're concerned about acne and particularly if you're looking to come off diannette. However as I say it's not perfect and everyone reacts differently."

Becca K (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken Yasmin for 3 days the second day I had calf pain in my right leg felt it a lot with walking was hoping it would go away next day but that night waking up at 5am throwing up and still feel the calf pain. I wished this worked for me cause it seemed best for my acne."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on the Yasmin pill for about 8 months now and I've turned into a diffferent person, hormonal, angry, I cry pretty much every day. I would not recommend this pill ladies. So many other options. This pill is literally the devil"

Sophiesheu March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has been the best pills I have used. They have helped me lose weight, no hair lost instead it has been growing, no mood swings, no depression."

MarielP March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Yasmin for 8 years (with a 10 month break after 5 years). I stopped to have a baby, pregnant within the first month off the pill and back on it right after birth. This pill has been great! Clear skin, no weight gain or side effects. I think people starting any pill will have a rough beginning but give it a chance. All body types are different so nothing works for everyone.... But this worked great for me."

Palsar7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't recommend this pill. Caused a massive hairloss , I lost my beautiful thick hair , I'm nearly bald. The biggest nightmare of my life , never again."

vdsvbgfb March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I lasted only 1 month on this pill. As soon as I started taking this, I was am emotional, angry, anxious mess. Everything either made me angry or it made me cry. I was also exhausted all the time. I normally work out 2-3 times a week, but I noticed I was so tired everyday, I only worked out maybe once a week. As for weight gain, I think I might have gained some water weight, but nothing too noticeable. It didn't affect my appetite too much either.I was on Junel Fe before which was great until the very end, where I started getting abnormal periods. I'm on my placebo/period week now and cramping and heavy flow. Two things I didn't have much of with Junel. I'm switching to Apri next week, and praying it works better for me!"

lovelikelola (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yasmin is a life saver in saving me from getting pregnant during my relationship with my boyfriend."

Elizabeth Ngan Ee Huey (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 3, 2017

"I give this product 5"

Big Earl January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started Yasmin on December 29, 2016 & began taking it regularly at 7:30PM to avoid unwanted nausea that's often reported by women who take it early in the morning. The first week was fine, the second week made me awfully depressed but I noticed clearer skin, and the third week brought along frequent urination which frightened me bc thats a symptom of pregnancy. But then with some online research, I found out that Yasmin definitely has a diuretic side effect that causes frequent urination. Instead of retaining the water (which causes bloating), frequent urination assisted in preventing bloating. In the third week, I had withdrawal bleeding 3 days into the inactive pills, which last about 5 days."

bcpuser99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Yasmin for 10 years, yes 10 and I am finally getting the guts to change contraception. My periods themselves are a complete breeze, light enough, minimal cramping, but the gap between the last pill in my pack and my period actually coming is horrendous. As a teen and in my early 20s it made me really down but just for a day, one day felt like the trade-off for not getting pregnant and I accepted it, now it's crippling migraines that effect my ability to function. Along with no sex drive. Fear of pregnancy, bad doctors and lack of education kept me suffering for years. Know your body and stand your ground. It might work for some but know when it's not working for you!"

Natcat90 January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Going on Yasmin was absolutely horrible. I only lasted a week because it made me feel horribly depressed. I felt like crying all the time and just wanted to lie down and stare at the wall. It also made me nauseous all the time. Within a couple days I had multiple large zits, and I usually have minimal acne. It also killed my libido. After I stopped the pill I had two separate periods within a week of each other, and it messed with my hormones so much that I cried every day for a month straight. I will never take this Yasmin ever again."

Unhappy customer December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was my first pill I have ever tried, and it was by far the worst one. Depression is a silent killer, no sex drive, tired, weight gain. It was not healthy for me, when I quit it I felt much better and became myself again, not worth it."

J.xo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this birth control to prevent ovarian cysts, as my last one wasn't effective resulting in my ovary twisting. In the beginning I felt the same but suddenly began having extreme nausea. Ive been nauseous for about 4 days and it just has not let up. The pill also has been affecting my appetite immensely resulting in weight loss, which I'm not complaining about. So far I've had no issues with ovarian cysts, but it is early."

Litmas (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016