User Reviews for Loryna

Loryna has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 121 ratings on Drugs.com. 35% of those users who reviewed Loryna reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
2.6
Summary of Loryna reviews 4.8 121 reviews

Reviews for Loryna

Abby · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

For Birth Control: “I started taking Loryna about 3 months ago and I've never felt worse! I feel bloated all the time, get severe headaches (which I normally never get headaches), have gained stomach issues and to top it off I have put on few pounds. Plus, Loryna also makes me feel sad 24/7! And if I'm not sad the I'm having outrageous mood swings. This oral contraceptive is definitely not the one for me. However, everyone is different so take my experience as you please.”

Bryanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

For Acne: “I have struggled with acne my whole life. I have taken everything you can imagine besides accutane. I used to take ortho tri cyclen lo and stopped for about three years since I didn’t want to take any medication. During this time I got off birth control, my acne and Bacne kept getting worse!!! I never thought that I would type these words, but Loryna has worked miracles!!!!!!!!!!!! It is only one month in and my skin is almost completely clear (which it never has been in my life) I keep touching it to see if it’s real. I also was so worried about side effects since all four other pills I tried (other bc) made me so nauseous. I only had a little bit of nausea the first few days, but then nothing with Loryna!!! I also was bloated the first two weeks but it went away and am also the same weight!! I have never loved a bc more and I almost didn’t try it because the reviews. I hope it helps everyone else.”

Pnut · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been on Sprintec and Zovia and I never ever had a problem with birthcontrol. I asked my dr to switch to Nikki (or generic) because I was not getting my period every month with Zovia and it was kind of freaking me out because I am sexually active and that’s how I know if I am in the clear. Once she switched me to Loryna I was very miserable. My mood was insane, I was crying and annoyed at any little thing. I had no control of my emotions. My stomach was also so messed up and I had a splitting headache. I know BC is different for everyone but damn I have never felt a reaction like this. I'm switching back to Zovia immediately”

Dani October 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “By far my favorite birth control I have ever taken. I have been on the pill since I was 16 (22 now) due to heavy periods and to help with my acne. I was on Loryna from 16-19 years old then tried the Kyleena IUD which was a nightmare for me. I ended up getting it removed after 6 months and went right back to Loryna. I have been the same weight since I was 16 and the IUD caused me to gain 5-8 pounds within 6 months, but my weight went right back to normal when I went back on Loryna. My skin rarely ever has any acne on it and the best part... I haven’t gotten my period in 2 years on this pill! Ignore the scary reviews and give it a try!”

Rebecca August 2, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Gianvi for two years and it was great. When I went in to get my yearly refill there was a mixup and I was prescribed Loryna. I called my doctor and they said they would fix it by the end of the month but until then I could take the loryna. After a week on loryna I noticed I started to have an extremely low sex drive. I started feeling like I was going crazy and my mind started to feel so fuzzy. I’ve never felt so depressed and anxious in my entire life. I would stay awake for hours at night tossing and turning and having extremely bad night terrors. One day I had an actual mental breakdown and almost had to be hospitalized. I tried to figure out what was going on and what had changed in my life and the only thing I could think of was the switch In birth control. I immediately stopped and with in two days felt so much better. The fuzzy feeling, depression stopped. My sex drive came back and I felt back to normal again. This pill should be banned it is horrible.”

Nat · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’m 25 years old and this is the first time I’ve been on birth control and it’s been great! I’ve had no weight gain, no skin changes and no mood changes. I honestly think this actually helped me quite a bit since I was pretty anxious and sad for a few months right before I started Loryna. I’ve been on it for 3 months now it helped regulate my periods since I was always irregular. They’re also a lot less painful, super light and only last 2-3 days. I’m so glad the first bc I chose worked well with my body. It was covered by my insurance through pill club and I got a 9 months supply delivered to me!”

Allie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m really happy with this birth control now. The first 2-3 weeks were rough. The side effects made it difficult to get through the day, as I felt sick and could barely move. It may have been a bit better if I’d taken it with food; I do now and have no side effects. As for acne, since that was important to me - it’s all cleared up! I’m really happy that I’m not getting big, painful under-the-skin zits on my chin anymore. It gets 5-stars just for that. If you’re considering this pill, I recommend it. Just make sure you take it with food!”

Mm · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2020

For Acne: “I personally think everyone should try it! I was hesitant due to reviews but I’ve been on it for a month and after a year of struggling with hormonal acne I think trying this was worth it. The first two weeks I was a little more moody than usual and kinda nauseous but that has gone away! My skin is clearing, but as I’ve only been on for a month it’s not completely clear yet. I’m excited to see what a couple months does for my skin! Birth control was my last resort but I couldn’t get the hormonal acne to stop even after visiting the derm many times.”

Em February 23, 2021

For Acne: “I think Loryna is a good birth control! I was VERY nervous to start it because of all the bad reviews. But birth control effects everyone differently! I was previously taking Junel 1.5/30 and it was making me very hungry and I was gaining a bit of weight. It was also making me unmotivated (also may have been because of the pandemic and everything going on in the world) but nothing too drastic. Junel was just an "ehh" type of pill. Then I switched to Loryna and I notice the first day of taking it, I felt a little sensitive and a little more moody. But the moodiness went away the second day. I saw a lot of reviews about nausea, but I DID NOT experience nausea. I also look A LOT LESS bloated! I also weighed a few pounds less! My skin is nice and clear and I feel good! I think Loryna is a good pill, it helps clear up your skin, and it's good if you don't want to gain weight. Loryna also helped with the vaginal itchiness on my pubic area from my previous pill (from the high estrogen dose)”

liv March 31, 2020

For Acne: “I have been on accutane twice for my acne and it worked momentarily but did not get rid of my acne in the long term. I decided to try loryna birth control pill and it has helped get rid of almost all my acne! My periods are pretty light and I haven't gotten pregnant yet:) so I would say it's working pretty well.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

For Birth Control: “I get my prescription sent to my pharmacy via Nurx. I was on Gianvi for a little over 2 years when all of a sudden my pharmacy stopped carrying it, didn’t inform me, and switched me to Loryna. I’ve been taking it for almost 2 months, and I was absolutely miserable. I have PCOS and while I was taking Gianvi, my periods only lasted maybe 3 or 4 days. While I’ve been on Loryna, my latest cycle has been 2 weeks+!!! I also gained a little bit of weight, which I’ve never had an issue with weight gain while on Gianvi. So I asked my pharmacy if I could get Gianvi elsewhere and they gave me another location to pick up from that DOES carry Gianvi. So I switched back today and am hoping it gets everything back to my “normal” again. I DO NOT recommend Loryna.”

Idk2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “It's been 4 months on this pill, and the 2nd month was probably the worst. I had nonstop spotting for a week. After that month, however, I had much lighter, shorter periods. Appetite: noticeably increased, not sure if bc or cold weather or holiday season Weight: no noticeable change Energy: no noticeable change Mood: no noticeable change Negative Symptoms: headaches/migraines, temporary spotting one month Positive symptoms: shorter period, significantly less acne”

Bee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “Switched to Loryna to help with acne and didn’t notice a change a first but it gave me severe anxiety and I felt hopeless and depressed everyday, even to the point of having suicidal thoughts. I thought I was going crazy because of how fuzzy and out of it I felt. Didn’t feel like myself at all, had no appetite, GI issues, and heart palpitations. It is not worth it for a little less acne, I've only been off it a couple weeks and I feel SO much better.”

RachelS · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am 36 and have been to this circus before and have used Gianvi in the past. I have been on Loryna now about 2.5 months. The first month wasn’t bad but after week 3 I got horrible GI issues to the point of embarrassment. Let’s leave it at that. They continued into the second month but then about week 2 of month 2 as I got used to this medicine my stomach has been fine since. I notice my breasts have been sore and have grown in size. I actually lost a few lbs. nothing significant. I am hungry though. All the time. Like ravenous with horrible cravings. I won’t be shocked if the scale eventually goes up. Overall I don’t see why this pill is rated so poorly. It’s not terrible and my mood has been stable. On other birth controls that has not been the case.”

Loryna user · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Acne: “I was using Trinessa for 15 years and it was wonderful. They stopped manufacturing that about a year ago- pharmacy switched me to TriSprintec. I was on it for 8 HORRIBLE months where I got cystic acne, which I had never experienced before, on my face, chest, and back. I tried every topical solution and wash, which did absolutely nothing. I was so insecure and thought this was my life now. One of my friends suggested I switch birth controls and I switched to Loryna. I continued to use acne topical solutions on my skin while using it so I saw some results but my skin felt dry and itchy and I was still getting some new acne marks (although less than before and they didn’t turn cystic). On the third month I decided to stop using the acne products to see what the birth control did on its own and IT WAS A MIRACLE, I literally cleared up in like 4 days guys. I also had no other side effects on this birth control other than an occasional small headache. Highly recommend this birth control.”

Sav · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2019

For Acne: “I was on this medication for 3 years & I love it. It was the first birth control I tried. I haven’t had any negative symptoms. I had went on Loryna because of my cystic acne AND for the cysts in my ovaries. I didn’t experience any nausea or weight gain. I actually lost weight on it. I used to have panic attacks almost everyday & those stopped too. I’ve recommended 3 of my friends on this birth control & they have the same experience as me. It completely cleared my acne (it was my last thing to try before I went on accutane) & I don’t regret it.”

Em April 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on pill Loryna for a year, and FINALLY got off of it. I was on it originally for acne, and then for the birth control aspect. I have never felt so anxious, or depressed in my life. I continued to blame my irrational emotions and physical appearance on circumstances in my life, but had no idea that this was primarily due to this prescription. I gained weight, which was really weird for me because I was a college athlete, working out 2-3 times a day. I began to develop some pain in my left breast, eventually getting an ultrasound because my doctor was concerned by some lumps that she felt. The radiologist told me that I had an extreme amount of extra breast tissue due to this prescription. I had panic attacks on a daily basis, and nightmares almost every night. I highly recommend NOT taking this. I wish someone would have warned me about everything I was about to go through.”

JH · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m finishing my third pack of Loryna. I’ve really struggled with giving my body the adequate time to adjust to it, but I can’t take the side effects anymore. I switched because the last few pills I tried did not clear up my hormonal acne. Loryna has helped clear up my skin and my period is much lighter, both of which are nice. However, I also take Vyvanse for ADHD and narcolepsy and I swear Loryna is messing with the effectiveness. I’m incredibly fatigued and sleepy all of the time now. I’m also experiencing awful headaches. I’m so depressed and anxious to where I can hardly recognize myself. My boobs have gone up a cup size, I’ve gained 11 pounds, and yes I’m starving all the time. I have done intermittent fasting for the last two years and dropped 25 pounds but rapidly gaining 11 pounds in under three months and struggling with my intermittent fasting, along with other side effects, is ruining my self-image and happiness.”

Gi · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Blisovi for over a year and switched to Loryna to treat acne. I would not recommend this pill. I experienced horrible anxiety and nausea. I lost my appetite completely. I was having panic attacks and heart palpitations. It took me about 2 months to realize it was the pill giving me the side effects. I have stopped taking it and feel a lot better.”

Legzzzz June 5, 2017

For Birth Control: “I was very concerned after reading the reviews for this birth control. My doctor had me switch to this birth control after I had been experiencing bad side effects from Blisovi. I have to say that this has so far been the best experience I've had so far with any birth control. My skin has cleared up beautifully, and it has been glowing because of this. Not only that, but also I have had the easiest periods with no cramping. I didn't experience any mood changes except for the first week on this pill as my body got used to it. It's important to remember that most people who do have great experiences with a drug wouldn't think to write a review on it. That being said, everyone's bodies are different. I recommend giving this pill a try.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

For Acne: “I have had the worst luck with side effects from birth control pills, I'm talking insomnia, severe cystic acne, becoming an emotional wreck with anxiety and depression; you name it and it probably happened to me. Yaz (generic Loryna) was the best one I've taken. I'm sleeping (which is huge for me), I'm not biting everyone's heads off or crying hysterically and my acne has cleared up which was my main concern. I have tried 5 different birth control pills and Yaz is working amazing for me. I gave it 9 stars because I do have some occasional chest pain when I take this pill. I'm not sure if its caused by Yaz or what but it seemed to start when I started this pill. I'll continue to update everyone on my progress!”

CollegeStudent March 12, 2019

For Birth Control: “Personally, I don't think you should take into advice the people who only used it for a month when starting this product. Ofc within the first months there will be some adjusting, breast size increased a little, experienced some nausea, and had some hyper mood changes. Now, I have 0 acne all the time, sex drive has not been particularly affected, have gained some weight but I wouldn't blame it on the pill, and my period is four days long. Unfortunately, there have been some notable side effects:minor headaches for like 5 seconds at a time that hurt a bit (not that often but noticable), sharp pains in abdomen during period. The thing to watch out for though, is the PMS. This drug really doesn't prevent it, and I think it ramps it up a bit. I hate ending every month realizing that I was being really irritable and upset and arguing with people the week before my period. I'm chill 90% of the time- except for that week.”

na · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Loryna for 8 months and It started out great. My acne cleared up, and I didn’t notice any major changes besides my boobs grew from a B to a C. After about 4-5 months I started noticing signs like SEVERE mood swings. My anxiety level was awful, I would cry all the time over nothing, I have never been depressed before and I started having bad thoughts constantly. I was extremely tired all the time and I would sleep about 16 hrs a day. I felt bloated all the time and I was hospitalized with severe constipation. I had to have a tube go up my nose and into my stomach to drain me since I wasn’t going to the bathroom. Once realizing this could be my birth control, stopped taking it. I’ve been off of it for about 2 years now and I'm completely back to normal. It does effect everyone differently but this was my experience.”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2018

For Acne: “I never thought I’d see the day where I could leave the house without any makeup on and feel confident and beautiful! I started my third pack this morning and noticed a transformation to my skin by the end of the first pack. I was definitely a bit nervous to start this medication because of the many negative reviews, but every body is different. My periods have always been on the lighter side and I’ve never experienced any side effects from other birth controls in the past (Kariva/Azurette, Ortho Tri-Cyclen) besides some breakthrough bleeding, which could be why I am doing well on this one too. But anyone suffering from acne should 100% try this out. It’s also seemed to help control oil production. I’ve never had skin like this, and it feels amazing to be able to look someone in the eyes because I’m no longer terrified they’re staring at my acne. For reference, I’m 21 years old and have been dealing with grade 2 acne/oily skin since 4th grade.”

Loz8817 January 27, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Loryna has helped my PMDD somewhat. I also have cut meat mostly and am very active and limit drinking. My issues with this are breast pain, constant bloat. I thought I had a sensitive gut before but have issues where my pants sometimes don’t fit by the evening. I drink tons of water and limit inflammatory foods but it still doesn’t help. I bleed randomly. Right now I have 5 pills left before the white pills and am bleeding. I spotted for a week before that. This happens without rhyme or reason. My skin looks good but to be honest, I take good care of it. I am sure it’s contributing but habits are, too. The headaches I get on this medication are terrifying and sometimes last three days. I felt so validated finding this forum because I thought something was really wrong. My libido is significantly lower and it’s difficult to achieve arousal. I never had an issue with that before. The worst: my blood pressure is now elevated. I just asked my dr about an alternate treatment.”

Anonymous January 15, 2020

For Acne: “Was on Nikki which was great but getting my prescription through Nurx which seems to send any extra inventory of whatever birth control they happen to have on hand. Have been on loryna (the generic Nikki ) for 3 weeks and have had cystic horrible acne all over my chin for the last 2 weeks and it is also my chest to the point where I can't wear any shirt that show's an ounce of chest skin. Luckily it's winter. I've had breakthrough bleeding but started my full blown super tampons period yesterday. Mid pill pack? Have also been depressed and moody and angry. I've had bad skin the majority of my life and been through the whole rigamarole including over the counter meds, every prescription topical, all the antibiotics, being on antibiotics for years at a time, birth control, spironolactone, accutane, laser treatments, red & blue light therapy, no dairy, no sugar, no food at all, etc etc etc. Accutane is the only thing that calmed my skin some. But now on loryna I feel like my skin has reverted back to being like before I did all my acne treatments”

J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2019

For Birth Control: “Loryna is the only medication that finally, at last, controlled my PMDD! I have had excellent success with this medication and could even lose some weight on it (!!). In combination with Lexapro my mental health improved. It truly helped with my fatigue as well, which is ultimately what I was looking to control. I docked a point for that dang risk of blood clots.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 11, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Loryna for the last 2 years. For the first year I really had no issues at all. My period were super light only 3 days at a time. My skin cleared up a bit and I only had the occasional break out. However this definitely gave me a lot of anxiety, my family noticed and so did my boyfriend. More recently I began to have panic attacks so I decided to stop. Overall this worked effectively for me for awhile and I really had no issues for a long time.”