User Reviews for Loryna

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Loryna.

Acne

3.9

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Summary of Loryna reviews 4.0 59 reviews

Reviews for Loryna

For Acne "I’ve been on Loryna for a couple of years now (maybe 3 or 4?). I absolutely LOVE this pill for controlling my acne. It is the only other thing besides daily antibiotics (doxycycline) that have controlled my acne. I tried Sprintec prior to this and it did nothing for my acne. Short term, I have had no side effects from Loryna. No weight gain, no extreme mood swings, nothing. My only complaint and reason for considering switching is that after taking this long term, I recently developed spider veins on my thighs. I have NEVER had such a thing so it was very concerning as I am only 25 and in very good health, and as I know there are increased risks for DVT while taking this drug. Recently the areas on my thigh where the spider veins developed have become somewhat painful at work (as I stand all day). I attribute the development of the spider veins directly to Loryna as this is only medication I have taken the past couple years. It is such a shame because I absolutely love what it has done for my skin (flawless even during the time around my period), but the veins cause a large concern for me so I am heavily considering switching. Overall, I love Loryna for the shorter term, however if you plan to be on it for a few years, it may be concerning. I also know someone else who was on Gianvi (another generic for Yaz) and the same thing happened to her regarding spider/varicose veins."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I just stopped taking Loryna today. I came to this feed before I started taking it hoping that I would be one of the lucky ones to actually benefit from this birth control. Unfortunately, it's only been a little more than a week and a half and for the past week I have had chronic heart burn. Burning in my chest. Burning in my stomach. And this may be TMI but I'm constantly burping and feeling nauseous. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to stay on this birth control if I'm going to feel terrible every day I'm on it. Going to be switching to another generic version of Yaz or going to switch to the name brand. It does do wonders for your skin. I feel upset to even stop for that reason, but I just want to feel normal again"

Nicki87124 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "This is my first time on BC so I don’t really have anything to compare it to. It made me throw up when I first started taking it but I found that if I took it at night with food I had no problems with getting sick. Helped my acne a ton! Did get pretty crazy mood swings though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I LOVE LORYNA This is the only birth control where I feel great & it regulates my periods on time everytime. The flow is always super light! I will say that I gained a good amount of weight on this pill, but who doesn't gain wait on birth control in general??"

MimiCita (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking Yaz for about 10 years, a few years ago I was given Loryna as a generic for Yaz and didn't think anything of it assuming it should be the same. While taking the generic I experienced extremely heavy periods that would last at least a week with a lot of blood clots. Typically my period is extremely light/no blood clots and lasts 3 days. I became very emotional and had drastic mood swings. Eventually my heavy period came and then didn't leave for an entire month, this made me realize the only thing that had changed was switching to generic Yaz. Once I switched back to yaz all these symptoms stopped. I ONLY get Yaz now."

Anonymous October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I have never written one of these before, but my results have been amazing so I had to share! I was on Yaz for about 9 years to treat my acne, but it never, in 9 years cleared my skin! I struggled with cystic acne mainly on my chin and forehead and literally always had a pimple on my face. After starting Loryna, my skin began to clear up! Now I'm about to start my third pack and my skin is completely clear! I literally get like one pimple right before my period but its gone before my period is even over. I have no side effects. This has seriously changed my life and it's so worth a try!"

A! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've been using Loryna for about 4 years and it has done wonders for my acne. I used to have cystic acne all over my face and I haven't have cystic acne in several months. I think I only had one flare up over the past year and a half. I was planned to go on Accutane, so glad I didn't. Haven't gotten pregnant either. Win win!"

JessBB October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I had such a horrible experience with this Birth control. The first week was fine. Week 2 to month 2 I bled the entire time and it wasn't break through bleeding it was full on period for two months. As soon as I stopped it within 4 days I completely stopped bleeding. I only give it two stars because it helped my light acne. This birth control is horrible for trying to regulate or stop periods."

CRivs85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I switched from lo loestrin Fe, because it made me stop having periods and made me nervous that I was pregnant because I didn't get my period. I switched to loryna and my periods came back and weren't irregular anymore, fairly light and less cramps. I have barely any acne besides some occasional acne on my backside. I've been having mood swings, low and high periods that last a week or so. It started affecting my relationship in a negative way and I've had more anxiety attacks than I did without it. Didn't make me gain weight at all, although it did make my depression a bit worse. I recommend this birth control but advise to be careful and if you notice it taking a toll on your mental health then switch. I've haven't switched yet"

Natralala September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I recently started taking birth control for my PMDD and this is my second pack (Gianvi with my 1st, Loryna for the 2nd). I'm also diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) with Panic Disorder and depressive symptoms. When I was taking Gianvi, I had no anxiety, mood swings, a short period that lasted 4 days (it used to be 7-9), and my relationship around people, especially my boyfriend, is stable. It's only been my third week of using Loryna, and my anxiety and depression is back, I break out easily, I've been feeling this terrible ache in my lower abdomen, and I've been constantly arguing with my boyfriend. I'm definitely calling my doctor to change prescriptions!!!"

Irritated and Achy (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started Loryna about 3 and a half weeks ago. I was preparing for an IVF embryo transfer. I wanted to select Yaz as the birth control to prepare for my transfer, but learned Yaz is no longer on the market. This should have been my first clue that a generic form of a drug that was off the market might still not be safe. I started taking Lornya. About a week and a half of taking it, I felt a pain in my calf. The pain intensified to the point I could hardly walk. I decided to check on this and it was found that I formed a blood clot behind my knee. I was advised to stop Loryna immediately. I now have to take 2 shots a day of blood thinners for 3 to 6 months. I also think my IVF will be cancelled because of this. No history of blood clots."

BobbieLouise August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "HORRIBLE experience w Loryna. Took it for acne, on the 3rd week and my skin is as bad as it was on the Mirena IUD. Giving me terrible anxiety and mood swings. The acne is killing me"

shln August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I initially gave this drug an unfair review. I began having panic attacks and Relationship OCD about my boyfriend, emptiness, etc. and I've never thought bad things about him prior to taking birth control. I had a hip surgery two months after being on this medication, so my negative side effects probably came from the pain medicine as well as my BC. I'm taking a month off of it, just to see if I can mentally bounce back (so far I've been so much better, only 3 days after I finished my pack). I may continue this BC after my next surgery in December, so if you have any symptoms don't panic, just go talk to your doctor! every woman is different, My mom and sister both didn't tolerate the pill at all either, so just try it out and talk to your doctor!"

18 year old girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After taking Loryna, I was diagnosed with blood clots on my lungs, causing a pulmonary embolism. This caused my heart to go into overdrive. I had shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, and chest pain. I was in the hospital for 3 days and now on blood thinners for 6 months minimum. I just got home today."

Mp902 July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "If I could give this generic a 0 I would. I began birth control (Apri to loryna) for my chest acne but it isn't helping. I switched from Apri to loryna because of an emptiness, as though I felt like I was dead inside. However, Loryna has made it worse!!! It was fine the first couple months, but as I started my 3rd pack, I began having anxiety attacks (never had them) and a worse feeling of emptiness. I'm constantly overthinking everything, and little things bug me so much more than usual! I had hip surgery during my last pack, so maybe the other drugs I took were causing my body to freak out, but that should have no affect for this month. I'm 19 and I'm concerned it will affect my relationship with my boyfriend soon!"

AlexisB8231999 July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I love this birth control. Face is absolutely clear, weight is constant, sex drive is amazing, periods are light, PMS is a little higher than usual but nothing excessive. The only thing I worry about is anxiety has increased, but so have other factors in my life that could cause increased anxiety so I don't want to blame it solely on BC. I've been on this birth contol for 2.5 years now- no complaints! However, probably looking into an IUD very soon...Easier for my busy lifestyle. If you take a pill I would recommend this! Makes me sad it has such a low rating."

AleKC July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I tried to take beyaz again which was the only birthcontrol I liked ever. My insurance refuses to cover it, so I figured a yaz generic would be similiar enough. I FIRMLY BELIEVE WHATS IN THIS GENERIC IS NOT AT ALL THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL. How could the same exact medicine affect me so negatively. I took this for two weeks and felt like I was physically having a panic attack all the time. I got this to help me during my hardest time of period. (right before I get it) and spent these past two weeks losing my mind. I do not even believe the positive reviews on this site are legitimate. I was tired, hungry, nauseous and unable to do my daily tasks. No sex drive. I tried taking it at night to combat these negative things. No escape. Don't take it"

life ruiner (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I literally could not rate this any lower. It's the first birth control pill I've taken that didn't improve my periods. I've gone back to having irregular, long periods, just like before the pill. I've also gained a significant amount of weight and had mood swings and a heavily decreased sex drive. It just didn't work for me AT ALL."

tgrubb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I've been taking BC pills for nearly 20 years to help regulate my cycles and ease the horrible cramping and mood swings. My insurance stopped covering the pill I was on previously, so I switched to Loryna. I liked the idea of only having 4 placebo pills compared with the 7 in my last brand. Pros of this pill? My sex drive was through the roof, and it felt like a love-potion for me and my guy "

Brown-Eyed Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started using birth control for heavy periods senior year of high school. I first used enkysence and it gave me bad nausea and horrible acne. I switched to this and I am on my fourth pack. It keeps my periods lighter and doesn't make me break out. The only problem I have had is if I don't take it within two hours of the time I take it everyday I will start having light bleeding. I don't get nausea and only had mood swings the first week."

Isabel32 June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "This medicine is by far the worst literally. Instead of help it makes me feel really tired a lot of nausea and vomiting"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was very concerned after reading the reviews for this birth control. My doctor had me switch to this birth control after I had been experiencing bad side effects from Blisovi. I have to say that this has so far been the best experience I've had so far with any birth control. My skin has cleared up beautifully, and it has been glowing because of this. Not only that, but also I have had the easiest periods with no cramping. I didn't experience any mood changes except for the first week on this pill as my body got used to it. It's important to remember that most people who do have great experiences with a drug wouldn't think to write a review on it. That being said, everyone's bodies are different. I recommend giving this pill a try."

Legzzzz June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "This medicine is a nightmare. On it for 7 years after the second year my sex drive vanished and it became a chore. My cycle was normal. My spouse and I were fighting over the most ridiculous things. I was blaming him even when it was totally my fault. The moods affected my work, I lost a chance at a promotion, which I blamed my husband for. Now he convinced me to go to marriage counselling and after a few weeks she started talking about medicine . I did not want to take any mood medicine. I was advised to see my gynecologist about stopping the Yaz / Loreyna . After two weeks of being off it I was feeling great I was happy about things again. I was not having arguments . I even felt feelings I Had not in years. I feel normal again. Avoid this "

Meganb44 June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Loryna for 6 years now. I also have been on birth control since I was 17 and now 26, with no breaks. I have no periods ever or spotting. My face is clear normally. No weight gain at all, I lose weight more than gain. I have read mixed reviews about this birth control, it can be good or bad. I have had no problems with the pill unless I forget to take it one day then I may breakout with pimples. I enjoy this birth control due to no problems. I recommend trying it, if it does not work get off of it. Most birth controls are not good for you anyways its not healthy, but being a woman we all need it for many different reasons."

Anonymous May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "This pill made me admit myself in the hospital. I've been on and off bc pills for a while because I never really found one that helped my acne and the side effects were usually depression and mood swings. My doctor prescribed Loryna to me for my blemishes and back acne and it was wonderful for the first two months seeing that my skin started glowing within the first week!! I also lost weight bc of a little nausea but that was nothing to me. Headaches began after the first month but I knew they would go away soon as they did. So everything seemed to be perfect until I woke up suddenly one early morning with severe, awful, terrible stomach pain and thought I was going to DIE on the toilet in cold sweats. It's in the trash now."

NaturalBeauty8779311 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017