User Reviews for Loryna to treat Birth Control

Loryna has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 83 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 33% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Loryna Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Loryna

Tori July 21, 2021

“I love this birth control I have taken on and off for many years, after a month of adjusting and taking it on time I do not have aide effects. I have less severe PMS and lighter periods. I was taking Yaz for PMDD I do not think it worked any better than Loryna..I have Great sex drive and have not gained any weight. I do feel as though my breast feel a tad fuller even though I have adjusted to the pill with time. I think this helps with water weight gain something I have suffered from due to PMDD. My skin stays clearer. Do not smoke on this pill. I would definitely recommend to those with severe PMS”

alex July 11, 2021

“I've gained 20 pounds in the 5 months I've been on this, I cry and am depressed and finding myself working extra hard to do activities that I normally love. I have never had recurring yeast infections and have to treat them once a month now. I also lost my sex drive and I suddenly have really bad melasma. I am stopping immediately and hopefully notice some improvement soon. Plus side to this was short and light periods but after the first 2 months zi had random spotting every month.”

Ashmill June 22, 2021

“I tried Sprintec and Tri Sprintec before this and experienced more migraines, anxiety, and heart palpitations. I’ve been taking this for over a year and experience only good things like less bloating, clearer skin, and stable mood. I do feel like I get dehydrated faster so make sure to drink more fluids with this. I would definitely recommend this if you have bad side effects from other birth control.”

Dani October 16, 2020

“By far my favorite birth control I have ever taken. I have been on the pill since I was 16 (22 now) due to heavy periods and to help with my acne. I was on Loryna from 16-19 years old then tried the Kyleena IUD which was a nightmare for me. I ended up getting it removed after 6 months and went right back to Loryna. I have been the same weight since I was 16 and the IUD caused me to gain 5-8 pounds within 6 months, but my weight went right back to normal when I went back on Loryna. My skin rarely ever has any acne on it and the best part... I haven’t gotten my period in 2 years on this pill! Ignore the scary reviews and give it a try!”

Rebecca August 2, 2020

“I was on Gianvi for two years and it was great. When I went in to get my yearly refill there was a mixup and I was prescribed Loryna. I called my doctor and they said they would fix it by the end of the month but until then I could take the loryna. After a week on loryna I noticed I started to have an extremely low sex drive. I started feeling like I was going crazy and my mind started to feel so fuzzy. I’ve never felt so depressed and anxious in my entire life. I would stay awake for hours at night tossing and turning and having extremely bad night terrors. One day I had an actual mental breakdown and almost had to be hospitalized. I tried to figure out what was going on and what had changed in my life and the only thing I could think of was the switch In birth control. I immediately stopped and with in two days felt so much better. The fuzzy feeling, depression stopped. My sex drive came back and I felt back to normal again. This pill should be banned it is horrible.”

KT3553 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

“Was on Gianvi for about 2 years before CVS/Aetna switched me to Loryna. While I was taking Loryna I was a raging lunatic the entire time. I am typically a very laid back, easy going person, very non-confrontational, but on this pill, I literally could not control myself. Every single thing made me so unreasonably mad. I knew at the time I was overreacting to everything, but I couldn't help it. I never felt so out of control in my entire life. Eventually lead to me crying hysterically in CVS begging for them to fix my prescription, telling the pharmacist she should be in prison for changing my meds, causing a scene and getting kicked out. After that I stopped taking the pill, and never returned to that cvs.”

Allie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

“I’m really happy with this birth control now. The first 2-3 weeks were rough. The side effects made it difficult to get through the day, as I felt sick and could barely move. It may have been a bit better if I’d taken it with food; I do now and have no side effects. As for acne, since that was important to me - it’s all cleared up! I’m really happy that I’m not getting big, painful under-the-skin zits on my chin anymore. It gets 5-stars just for that. If you’re considering this pill, I recommend it. Just make sure you take it with food!”

Nat · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

“I’m 25 years old and this is the first time I’ve been on birth control and it’s been great! I’ve had no weight gain, no skin changes and no mood changes. I honestly think this actually helped me quite a bit since I was pretty anxious and sad for a few months right before I started Loryna. I’ve been on it for 3 months now it helped regulate my periods since I was always irregular. They’re also a lot less painful, super light and only last 2-3 days. I’m so glad the first bc I chose worked well with my body. It was covered by my insurance through pill club and I got a 9 months supply delivered to me!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

“I get my prescription sent to my pharmacy via Nurx. I was on Gianvi for a little over 2 years when all of a sudden my pharmacy stopped carrying it, didn’t inform me, and switched me to Loryna. I’ve been taking it for almost 2 months, and I was absolutely miserable. I have PCOS and while I was taking Gianvi, my periods only lasted maybe 3 or 4 days. While I’ve been on Loryna, my latest cycle has been 2 weeks+!!! I also gained a little bit of weight, which I’ve never had an issue with weight gain while on Gianvi. So I asked my pharmacy if I could get Gianvi elsewhere and they gave me another location to pick up from that DOES carry Gianvi. So I switched back today and am hoping it gets everything back to my “normal” again. I DO NOT recommend Loryna.”

Abby · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

“I started taking Loryna about 3 months ago and I've never felt worse! I feel bloated all the time, get severe headaches (which I normally never get headaches), have gained stomach issues and to top it off I have put on few pounds. Plus, Loryna also makes me feel sad 24/7! And if I'm not sad the I'm having outrageous mood swings. This oral contraceptive is definitely not the one for me. However, everyone is different so take my experience as you please.”

RachelS · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2020

“I am 36 and have been to this circus before and have used Gianvi in the past. I have been on Loryna now about 2.5 months. The first month wasn’t bad but after week 3 I got horrible GI issues to the point of embarrassment. Let’s leave it at that. They continued into the second month but then about week 2 of month 2 as I got used to this medicine my stomach has been fine since. I notice my breasts have been sore and have grown in size. I actually lost a few lbs. nothing significant. I am hungry though. All the time. Like ravenous with horrible cravings. I won’t be shocked if the scale eventually goes up. Overall I don’t see why this pill is rated so poorly. It’s not terrible and my mood has been stable. On other birth controls that has not been the case.”

Bee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

“Switched to Loryna to help with acne and didn’t notice a change a first but it gave me severe anxiety and I felt hopeless and depressed everyday, even to the point of having suicidal thoughts. I thought I was going crazy because of how fuzzy and out of it I felt. Didn’t feel like myself at all, had no appetite, GI issues, and heart palpitations. It is not worth it for a little less acne, I've only been off it a couple weeks and I feel SO much better.”

Em April 27, 2020

“I was on pill Loryna for a year, and FINALLY got off of it. I was on it originally for acne, and then for the birth control aspect. I have never felt so anxious, or depressed in my life. I continued to blame my irrational emotions and physical appearance on circumstances in my life, but had no idea that this was primarily due to this prescription. I gained weight, which was really weird for me because I was a college athlete, working out 2-3 times a day. I began to develop some pain in my left breast, eventually getting an ultrasound because my doctor was concerned by some lumps that she felt. The radiologist told me that I had an extreme amount of extra breast tissue due to this prescription. I had panic attacks on a daily basis, and nightmares almost every night. I highly recommend NOT taking this. I wish someone would have warned me about everything I was about to go through.”

Idk2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

“It's been 4 months on this pill, and the 2nd month was probably the worst. I had nonstop spotting for a week. After that month, however, I had much lighter, shorter periods. Appetite: noticeably increased, not sure if bc or cold weather or holiday season Weight: no noticeable change Energy: no noticeable change Mood: no noticeable change Negative Symptoms: headaches/migraines, temporary spotting one month Positive symptoms: shorter period, significantly less acne”

JH · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

“I’m finishing my third pack of Loryna. I’ve really struggled with giving my body the adequate time to adjust to it, but I can’t take the side effects anymore. I switched because the last few pills I tried did not clear up my hormonal acne. Loryna has helped clear up my skin and my period is much lighter, both of which are nice. However, I also take Vyvanse for ADHD and narcolepsy and I swear Loryna is messing with the effectiveness. I’m incredibly fatigued and sleepy all of the time now. I’m also experiencing awful headaches. I’m so depressed and anxious to where I can hardly recognize myself. My boobs have gone up a cup size, I’ve gained 11 pounds, and yes I’m starving all the time. I have done intermittent fasting for the last two years and dropped 25 pounds but rapidly gaining 11 pounds in under three months and struggling with my intermittent fasting, along with other side effects, is ruining my self-image and happiness.”

Gi · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

“I was on Blisovi for over a year and switched to Loryna to treat acne. I would not recommend this pill. I experienced horrible anxiety and nausea. I lost my appetite completely. I was having panic attacks and heart palpitations. It took me about 2 months to realize it was the pill giving me the side effects. I have stopped taking it and feel a lot better.”

Legzzzz June 5, 2017

“I was very concerned after reading the reviews for this birth control. My doctor had me switch to this birth control after I had been experiencing bad side effects from Blisovi. I have to say that this has so far been the best experience I've had so far with any birth control. My skin has cleared up beautifully, and it has been glowing because of this. Not only that, but also I have had the easiest periods with no cramping. I didn't experience any mood changes except for the first week on this pill as my body got used to it. It's important to remember that most people who do have great experiences with a drug wouldn't think to write a review on it. That being said, everyone's bodies are different. I recommend giving this pill a try.”

CollegeStudent March 12, 2019

“Personally, I don't think you should take into advice the people who only used it for a month when starting this product. Ofc within the first months there will be some adjusting, breast size increased a little, experienced some nausea, and had some hyper mood changes. Now, I have 0 acne all the time, sex drive has not been particularly affected, have gained some weight but I wouldn't blame it on the pill, and my period is four days long. Unfortunately, there have been some notable side effects:minor headaches for like 5 seconds at a time that hurt a bit (not that often but noticable), sharp pains in abdomen during period. The thing to watch out for though, is the PMS. This drug really doesn't prevent it, and I think it ramps it up a bit. I hate ending every month realizing that I was being really irritable and upset and arguing with people the week before my period. I'm chill 90% of the time- except for that week.”

Amanda January 16, 2019

“I’m 30 and have been on some form of birth control since I was 15. I started Yaz/ Gianvi maybe 7 or 8 years ago and loved it! I was given Loryna 4/5 months ago. I must be an idiot because it took me up until yesterday to connect the dots. I’ve gotten my period every single month 10-3 days before finishing my active pills. I thought I was going absolute crazy because I never missed any! I’ve had horrible cramps and bloating; my breasts have increased a full cup size and are extremely sore - the only time of the month I get any reprieve is when I stop the pill for my period which is now 10 days long and super heavy and full of clots. I also have insomnia (fall asleep after 3 every night) cystic acne (this is new), depression, lack of energy, constant yeast infections/ BV, and a feeling of constant PMS....Did I make myself clear that I am bloated and have cramps and breast tenderness EVERY DAY? DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL”

na · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

“I was on Loryna for 8 months and It started out great. My acne cleared up, and I didn’t notice any major changes besides my boobs grew from a B to a C. After about 4-5 months I started noticing signs like SEVERE mood swings. My anxiety level was awful, I would cry all the time over nothing, I have never been depressed before and I started having bad thoughts constantly. I was extremely tired all the time and I would sleep about 16 hrs a day. I felt bloated all the time and I was hospitalized with severe constipation. I had to have a tube go up my nose and into my stomach to drain me since I wasn’t going to the bathroom. Once realizing this could be my birth control, stopped taking it. I’ve been off of it for about 2 years now and I'm completely back to normal. It does effect everyone differently but this was my experience.”

Ameliathebeaver · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2021

“This is the second birth control pill I tried after the first gave me very bad mood swings immediately, I’ve been on this for about a year and a half now and my periods are short and I know exactly when I am going to get it every month with no spotting in between, it has been like this since I started it. It also really helped with acne, I never got acne very bad but I would always have a few spots, now I very rarely break out and when I do it’s usually not that bad and I barely take care of my skin. The only bad thing I’ve noticed is how it’s affected my sex drive, I had no problem with it before I started this a few months after starting my current long term relationship and everything was great at first but about 6 months after being on it I had absolutely no sex drive anymore, a year after that it is starting to come back but I’ve had to take measures to help myself. Overall I like this birth control and it hasn’t caused any problems that negatively affect my life.”

J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2019

“Loryna is the only medication that finally, at last, controlled my PMDD! I have had excellent success with this medication and could even lose some weight on it (!!). In combination with Lexapro my mental health improved. It truly helped with my fatigue as well, which is ultimately what I was looking to control. I docked a point for that dang risk of blood clots.”

Erin · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 11, 2019

“I was on Loryna for the last 2 years. For the first year I really had no issues at all. My period were super light only 3 days at a time. My skin cleared up a bit and I only had the occasional break out. However this definitely gave me a lot of anxiety, my family noticed and so did my boyfriend. More recently I began to have panic attacks so I decided to stop. Overall this worked effectively for me for awhile and I really had no issues for a long time.”

AleKC July 20, 2017

“I love this birth control. Face is absolutely clear, weight is constant, sex drive is amazing, periods are light, PMS is a little higher than usual but nothing excessive. The only thing I worry about is anxiety has increased, but so have other factors in my life that could cause increased anxiety so I don't want to blame it solely on BC. I've been on this birth contol for 2.5 years now- no complaints! However, probably looking into an IUD very soon...Easier for my busy lifestyle. If you take a pill I would recommend this! Makes me sad it has such a low rating.”

Jessa · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

“Nurx switched me from Nikki to Loryna and so far, I’m noticing that my temper is very short. I used to be a pretty calm person but three weeks into this and I’m getting extremely angry over trivial things and just don’t feel all that great. No issues with acne or weight gain but the bad mood part is just incredibly noticeable. I’ve also started waking up multiple times during the night which has never been an issue for me either. I would say, if you can handle being angry a lot and poor sleep then Loryna is okay but I personally do not like it.”

shareyl October 9, 2019

“With this birth control Loryna I had only taken it for two weeks. If that doesn’t tell you anything I don’t know what does. I’m diagnosed with endometriosis which means I’m always at a high risk for cramping, blood clots and all that jazz. I was on Sprintec for a year and it just wasn’t right for me. My doctor had prescribed me Loryna and I’ve never felt more like a crazy person in my life!! As soon as I started taking it I realized a change in my moods and how I acted. I had horrible anxiety and depression for as long as I was on it!! This pill I do not recommend what so ever!”

siemor February 17, 2017

“I've been on this BC for a month now, the first week was a little bumpy with emotions. I highly recommend giving it a week before making your decision on whether or not to stick with it. I'm back to my normal self now, I feel good and don't notice any side effects what-so-ever. My face is clear, sex drive normal. Overall, highly satisfied with this birth control.”

Olivia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2018

“It upsets me to see all these horrible reviews because I have had little to no problems on this birth control. I have been taking this pill for 6 months, my skin is great, my period is short and light, and I have had no nausea with it. I do have occasional mood swings, but nothing horrible. I highly suggest this brand.”