User Reviews for Yasmin to treat Acne

Yasmin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 392 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yasmin

"I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 and was on Diane for about 6 years, it did absolutely nothing and made me an emotional wreck. I switched to Yasmin and I’m now on my 3rd month of it. Already my moods are so much better, I feel happier in myself and don’t have the mood swings I was experiencing before. I am yet to notice any change with my acne but I’m hoping this will change as time goes on. I have not put on any weight with this pill and feel no nausea or cramps except small period cramps which last around a day, which is nothing compared to my periods without the pill. I think for anyone who has PCOS and is looking for another pill I’d definitely recommend this one as even in this small time frame I feel so much happier"

ally112 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2019

"I have been on the depo injection for 2 years which was great because I had no periods, put on a few pounds and my acne was only a bit worse but I wanted to take break as depo affects your bones. I have face and body acne as I'm quite oily and it's probably also due to hormones so I started yasmin. I'm only one pack down (three weeks) and found this thread as I've just started breaking out really bad! Mostly whiteheads on my forehead, cheeks and jaw. I will leave another review when I finish my 3 month prescription, I hope it improves. I feel very nauseous after taking it but as a result I'm losing weight haha."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

"I went on this pill to for birth control and to minimize acne. Keep in mind that prior to this I had moderate breakouts once in a while. Going on this pill was the worst experience of my life, I had constant bleeding (3/3.5 out of 4 weeks of the month) and I developed horrible cystic acne. My mood was also terrible but I'll blame that on the constant bleeding and my horrendous acne. I will say that I did not gain any weight."

ac19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2019

"I am 19 and have had mild to severe acne all throughout my teen years. I have tried so many different acne products such as proactive and other prescription creams but nothing ever worked. It really lowered my self esteem and I would never leave the house without makeup. I decided to try Yasmin because it was the only thing left to try before accutane and plus my periods were really irregular, so I was hoping it would help that as well. I have now been on Yasmin for 8 months and my skin is completely clear with just a few pimples every once and awhile. Also my periods regulated as soon as I started the pill. My face didn’t get worse at the beginning but it does take a few months to see results. I have been a little more moody since I started and have gained a little bit of weight (I also haven’t been exercising), but I’m for sure going to stay on it because my face is the clearest it’s ever been and I now feel comfortable leaving my house without makeup."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2019

"I've always had very oily skin since I was about 15, and have always had moderate, very irritated acne. Every single pimple leaves a mark on my skin, I suffer form really bad hyper pigmentation even if I don't pop or touch my face when a pimple appears. My acne has never been "Severe," it just gets bad around my period and is hormonal. I have been on Yasmin for 2 months and a half, and am almost done with my second pack and my face is TERRIBLE. I have never had this many pimples. I made a mistake trusting the reviews that say "Stick with it for at least 3 months" no. Only stick with it if you see improvement, and it shouldn't take more than 6-8 weeks to see improvement, If your acne is still getting worse, like mine, stop taking it. It is not for everyone. My mood swings have also been crazy like never before. This pill made me depressed, and just feel sad all the time. Please do not take this unless you have PCOS or very severe hormonal acne."

Keren (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

"This pill is AMAZING for acne. It will clear your skin up in a jiffy....the downside however, from my experience, you get very depressed and anxious around my period."

ChantieNicole (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2019

"I have suffered acne over the past couple of years. I was on the implant and decided to come off as I put it down to being hormonal. I have tried most shop bought cleansers etc and I found that nothing was working. The doctor put me onto the Yasmin pill and after 3 months of using it all of my spots have cleared up. I get the occasional spot but my skin is no longer inflamed, painful or covered in spots. I would also recommend benzoyl peroxide cream. I don’t normally write reviews but after what I’ve been through I would love to help other people. Hope this helps."

Ronnie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2018

"I never had very bad acne but did not have perfect skin either. When I started Yasmin for 3 months my skin was breaking out more than ever but after those months my skin cleared up and I almost never break out and it is much better than before I took the pill."

Miami (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2018

"I had always had really good skin so when I started having acne at 23 years old I was distraught. Before taking Yasmin I tried antibiotics that did not work and made me feel sick! So decided to try Yasmin the doctor said it would be about a month before I saw any really difference. Still after three weeks was still breaking out everyday and completely stressing out. I was in panic I exfoliated my whole bloody chin off, burnt my face off with retinoids and benzoyl and cried most nights. One week into my second pack I have not had a pimple in 5 days is amazing. I also take zinc supplements, probiotics and magnesium which help. I have decided to share my experience because reading the reviews helped me believe things would get better. Acne destroyed myself esteem and made me very depressed and self conscious. Yasmin worked wonders for me and I’m so grateful. Just know you are beautiful no matter what and know that acne is only temporary and will get better if you keep trying."

Anonymous November 30, 2018

"Before taking Yasmin I had NEVER had particularly bad skin. I did breakout occasionally but it is NOTHING like what I've experienced on yasmin. I started almost two months ago and my skin has been THE WORST. it might work for people with severe acne but don't go on if your acne is mild. it sucks. so much. "

Lgmulcahy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2018

"I have been on Yasmin for a month now, I’ve just had my first break week. I went on cilest for about 6 months and my acne didn’t improve. I decided to go back to the doctors to try another contraceptive pill as I am in a relationship. I did my research and was hoping for Yasmin, regardless of the reviews. So far, I can’t say my acne has improved as it does go in stages, but within the first month I don’t have MORE spots than usual, but instead of them being on my cheeks like they normally would, they’re on my chin ( which makes sense with hormones ). I am feeling confident that this will completely clear my skin within the next few months. I haven’t had many side effects (so far) apart from feeling a little sick in the morning of the first few days and then spotting for a day in the middle of the pill pack. I know that acne seems like such a long journey to get a cure, but honestly I can’t believe already that one month is over and I’m onto my second pill pack!"

El October 24, 2018

"I started taking Yasmin on the 01-08-18 a few days later I started having breakouts like never before, I felt like giving up. I then thought I should give it 6months cos I had the acne prone skin. On my second pack the same happened, ok I didn't give up, good news is when I was about to finish the second pack my face was so smooth and I couldn't believe it. Hey I'm on my 3rd pack now I really really like my face it's so beautiful like never before. I'm acne free. However I I did change my make up, changed diet, cut sugary things and dairy products and I also steamed my face with green tea 2 times in a week, there after I applied baking powder, leave it for 15min then rinse with cold or luke water. I'm continuing with it. It is definitely doing wonders for me. Don't give up ladies and please do drink lots of water. And other thing I guess they work perfectly when taken at night not morning."

Elle October 9, 2018

"Had to comment after reading the negative reviews on here! I was on Microgynon 30 for 6 years before switching to Yasmin because of acne developing on my face. I've just finished my first month, and honestly, Im finding it really positive! I only felt nauseous for the first day, and after that, all I have to say is positive! My sex drive has absolutely gone through the roof, the boobs are increasing in size (I'm a 32A), no weight gain, and my moods in general are so much better! The only reason I am marking this down is because I'm still waiting for more improvement to my skin, but that can take up to 6 months so I wasn't expecting miracles after 1 month. Girls, I would ABSOLUTELY stress, take these reviews with a pinch of salt - I am in a group of 6 girls and we must have gone through at least 12 pills in total before we all found ones that suited each of us, and like a previous reviewer has said, how many people actually bother to comment with a positive review?"

Louise20 October 6, 2018

"I’ve just started using Yasmin , now onto my break and my acne seems to be getting worse especially on my back and jaw line, they’re big spots that are painful. And I’ve read so many reviews saying it gets worse before it gets better , but I’m so depressed about my skin. I really don’t know what to do."

Blonde September 18, 2018

"I'm 21 and I unfortunately have really bad acne on my face and body. My gynecologist put me on Yasmin for about a month maybe less before changing it to Blisovi Fe. I have never been on birth control before until now. While on Yasmin the only thing I noticed was that I had an increased appetite. Other than that I didn't have any other side effects. Before Yasmin my acne would cause me a lot of pain everyday. Then Yasmin made my acne have a lot of the swelling that would cause me pain, that has gone down and now I'm able to wash my face and body without being in too much pain. I'm hoping that in the months to come I'll see improvement in my skin and that it'll clear up while on Blisovi Fe."

Cat097 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2018

"Yasmin has been wonderful at clearing my hormonal acne. It took about 4 months to go from a lot of angry spots to smooth beautiful skin. It also makes my hair shinier and healthier. Unfortunately, this is where the good things end! Despite claims it helps with water retention, I do suffer from it. I have got much more appetite and cravings than before, which don't help. My moods swings are crazy, I often feel really sad and depressed. Bigger and painful breasts. Bloating. Tiredness. I really wanted to like Yasmin but it's not working for me! I will stop it and already getting ready for the spots to come back but I'd rather feel sane and myself again. Good luck to everyone, it can work wonder for some, you need to try for yourself."

Alex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2018

"I need help I’m on Yasmin for a little over 4months now and I’m so confused, I don’t know if it’s helping or if it’s going to work, every month for the past 4 months during the week break my skin would clear which is great but as soon as starting another pack I’d break out this month my skin didn’t even clear as much I still had little breakouts, also my break outs are not as severe anymore but sometimes they are. I really need some advice as too wether I should continue or not."

Selly (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2018

"Yasmin worked a miracle for my acne. I suffered extremely bad acne on my back, chest and some on my face, within a month or two it was almost completely cleared up. Then I went off it .As far as weight I actually believe since being off yasmin I've gained weight and my acne is back worse than ever. I've just got my new script for the next lot and I'm so excited!!!"

Tay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2018

"I have been on Yasmin for about 9 months now. It took between 5 to 6 months to have acne free skin on a regular basis. I still get a few smaller cysts occasionally during the off week, but they diminish quicker. I have struggled with acne since my early teens and I am now 40. I tried one round of accutane in my teens, minocycline on and off for years, and was prescribed yasmin by my new dermatologist. As frustrating and sometimes devastating to see your acne getting worse, as long as your not experiencing major side effects, please give this drug time to even out your hormones. I'm sure like all drugs, it's not for everyone, but I am so delighted by the clear skin I see in the mirror now. Then there's the wrinkles starting... lol. But that's for another forum ;)"

Ziggy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

"I took this pill for less than a month. My acne got worse than it has ever been before. I'd never had issues with anxiety and self esteem until I took the pill. The pill controlled my emotions and I was always down and "depressed". I took the pill specifically for acne but it only made mine worse. My skin was sensitive, the acne was flared and bubble-like. My skin was hard like a rock when I touched it and any movement would cause it pain. Worst experience and I regret taking it. With those who have acne issues and don't specifically care for a birth control; I recommend using a cream called TactuPump (adapalene - benzoyl peroxide) it does require a prescription but it works wonders and 3 months tops your skin will be clear. You'll even notice results within the first 3 weeks"

jas (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

"Month two and my skin has cleared up by 80 percent combined with prescription face wash. I was looking at accutane as the next option because I have tried everything including a vegan diet!!!!! However it was cystic acne that was in my cheeks and around my mouth which is very hormonal. I am 23 years old and this started getting bad around 21-22. I have always hated birth control pills because of weight gain, and side effects. However I have gained no weight and do not have that bloated ring around the belly or waist. I also no longer have sleepless nights before my period. This has solved skin issues and sleeping issues for me without bad side effects. My breast did increase in size but for me that is not a negative side effect. Sex drive has gone down but hey I am in grad school and it helps me stay more focused on my studies...lololol. Over all please ladies give this a try if your acne is hormonal its the only thing that saved me from having to undergo accutane!!!!!!!!"

Cassie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2018

"Do not use this. My skin has never been this bad. Stopped mid month because I couldn’t stand it anymore but stuck it out for a good 6 months. Awful. Absolutely awful."

Fran (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2018

"No more acne"

Risa (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2018

"I don’t know what to rate this right now, I have been taking Yasmin for a week now and my skin is freaking out, I’m also getting headaches I need advice."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

"I'm almost done with my 2nd pack now and my acne got worse!! This is the worse since the day I was born! It is all cystic acne and very painful! The only good side effect that I can see right now is I don't get cramps. But I will still give it 2 more packs before I give up on it completely. I'll be back to give review again."

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2018