User Reviews for Ocella

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

"Ending my 4th day taking this BC and I've been extremely nauseous since yesterday, didn't even go to work today. Weak. So sick feeling, bloated, constipated, angry and NOOOOO fuse. Yelling at my kids. So upset over this, I hate BC pills."

Lexyee September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on birth control since I was 16 now 22, I've tried 3 birth controls before Ocella. All previous ones had break through bleeding, mood swings & one gave me out of control yeast infections. That's when I switched to Ocella, zero acne, I skip my period, no breakthrough bleeds, no weight gain besides 3 pounds and a little bloating every so often. Best part, no pregnancy scares for the last 2 years. Love the protection and stability it's supplied! I will say I've experience intermittent anxiety on it, might try another kind of it continues. Hope this helped. Worth a try, it's kept me safe, happy and acne/pregnancy free."

Scottie L (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Ocella due to complications with a ruptured ovarian cyst. I'm on my 10th day of taking it and I still have my period. I've been getting chest pain and rapid heart beats, I have absolutely no sex drive and I have been experiencing the worst migraines of my life. I will not recommend this pill to anyone."

Love90 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed birth control about 6 years ago due to complications from ovarian cysts. The very first one I tried was lo-estrin 24 which made me incredibly nauseas. I then tried a couple other ones but they all made me nauseous as well. Finally I was prescribed ocella. I felt pretty good on it. Didn't notice any weight changes. My skin looked AMAZING. I would just get bad migraines/nauseas/sick a day or two before my period and some days randomly during the month. It wasn't until I STOPPED taking ocella (or any birth control...long story/not sexually active at the moment) about 6 months ago that made me realize how much better I feel off of it. I feel like a new person. My mood is 10x better. Sex drive is back. Only down side- my skin"

Court4292 June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed to this birth control but after reading the awful reviews, I was seriously considering going back to the doctor to ask for another. I decided to give it a try and I've had absolutely no side effects. This is my first time taking birth control and it really worked perfect for me. I usually have a lot of acne and that has cleared up a lot already, which is a big plus!! Don't be discouraged with the other reviews, it might work for you too!"

Ronnie12 June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this pill because everything else gave me cystic acne. At first, I loved this pill, besides the fact that it gave me terrible mood swings and no sex drive. I tolerated that part because it seemed like I was losing lbs and increasing bra size which I was happy about. But about a year into it I started going thru periods of what seemed like depression, lasting about 3 months at the longest. 2 years into it, I'd gained about 10 lbs in 3 months (without any lifestyle change) and NOTHING I did would help me lose the weight. Finally I decided to stop taking it 1 month ago and I already lost 5 lbs, am 10x happier, and my sex drive is back. Didn't get pregnant, but not worth the long-term side effects."

collegestudent92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Ocella to help control my PCOS and as a birth control. It's done a good job of regulating my period and as a birth control. However, I've experienced many mood swings and depressive-like symptoms as well as more nausea and tenderness in my breasts. It does what it needs to do which is why I'm reluctant to switch since it is one of the best birth controls to regulate my PCOS symptoms."

Aleena Zee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I LOVE this pill! I was on Jolessa for 4 years and always had constant spotting and bad acne, Sprintec for 4 months and had spotting and awful mood swings and periods, but Ocella is absolutely perfect. I've been on it for 3 months now and it's cleared up most of my acne, I've had no spotting and no periods, and I've lost 8 pounds! No mood swings, either. I would definitely recommend that anyone who is considering this pill give it a try. Plus, mine is only $9 a month! For the work it does, it is awesome. I cannot speak on effectiveness for pregnancy prevention as I use it to skip periods and am not sexually active."

pinkpaw February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Ocella for about a year now. It has controlled my breakthrough bleeding, but the last few months I've been experiencing EXTREME mood swings, depression, anxiety, anger/rage... I don't know myself. Friends/Family notice too. I am stopping this pill today. I have a call in to my OB. I feel like I'm going crazy!"

Jszkat (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Ocella about 5 weeks now. Worst decision I ever made. I have been having heavy uncontrollable bleeding, terrible stomach pain, fatigue, nauseous and migraines. I informed my OB and I have a appointment set for tomorrow. Fingers crossed that something else will help. I have been miserable ever since I've started Ocella."

Anonymous January 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was an effective form of birth control and cleared up my acne spectacularly; however, I started getting horrible migraines during the week I was not taking the hormones. My hands and left side of my face would go numb, I would get nauseous, and I would be incapable of doing anything but lie there because I could not fall asleep because of the pain."

Cleared acne, but migraines January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did what it was supposed to do, i.e. I didn't get pregnant and I was sexually active the whole time I was on it. Also, I don't believe I had the single zit for the whole year and a half I was on it. Nice! However... I experienced a lot of very annoying headaches while taking Ocella. They were stubborn too, wouldn't go away if I took an Aleeve. Also, weight gain definitely happened. I went up 2 full cup sizes and "filled out" in general. I would say about 8lbs or so. (With little to no change in my diet/ lifestyle) Also, I feel that Ocella increased my anxiety and depression. It also affected my sex drive and level of lubrication. Everyone's body is different, hard to say if symptoms were from Ocella or unrelated."

Moongirl1990 November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mild nausea when I first started but that has gone away. Cleared my skin a lot which was a surprise and so far I've grown two cup sizes. No weight gain or loss, and allows me to completely skip my period by starting a new pack rather than taking placebos. Only downside is mild mood swings, but nothing unmanageable. Definitely better than tri previfem"

Anonymous. November 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this pill its the second birth control I have been on and I cant wait to switch. I have been on Ocella for 6 months and all 6 months have been terrible I've been gaining weight which makes me extremely depressed and I've had really bad mood swings. I am usually a calm, easy going person but ever since I have been on this pill every little thing irritates me or makes me mad. My doctor also assured me this pill would make my period shorter and lighter.....no....not at all. However I have not gotten pregnant so it works in that regard."

tokia September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Ocella for almost eight years and loved it. It improved my acne, mood swings, etc. I didn't really have any noticeable side effects. However, in the last few months I started getting all over body itching and then hives. I eventually realized going off of this cured my itching/hives so I decided to write this review incase anyone else is dealing with these symptoms. Generics can change filler ingredients at any time, so unfortunately I will no longer be taking this pill."

Sairii (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this method about 8 months ago. I hate it. No change in acne, but weight gain, headaches, horrible heavy crampy periods, intense mood swings. I'm switching soon. On the good side: I'm not pregnant so yay there and I know exactly when Hell Week (last 7 days always) starts and ends."

KrisNBliss September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just recently finished my first pack of Ocella and I don't have many things to complain about except the cramps during my period!!! They were deadly & so uncomfortable. My period was heavy also. But I'm on it to regulate my period. I haven't gained any weight but I've been noticing pimples popping up and I've never had this problem before I'm not sure if my hormones aren't used to it yet but the acne sucks & my breast have been tender also. But overall it's a pretty good birth control method."

S.B (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this for a year and so far it's helped me lose 80lbs which anybody that knows or experiences PCOS knows it's hard as heck to lose any weight. It's helped the unwanted body hair go away for the most part and my periods come every month and are usually between 7-9 days compared to once every 4-5 months and being at least 2 weeks long before I started this birth control. The hair on my head grows fuller and faster and the facial hair is almost completely gone. I suggest this birth control to anybody that experiences PCOS or symptoms like it"

Pcos August 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Ocella for 2 years. It cleared up my acne and helped a lot with period cramps. I never got pregnant and was sexually active the whole time. BUT I gained an insane amount of weight with little change to my diet or exercise. I gained about 30 pounds during that time and was super bloated with a lot of fluid retention. Looking back on photos I can tell when I was on it by how bloated my face looked vs when I went off. Didn't notice much change in sex drive which is good. Probably won't use again."

WebsJR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"5 stars!!! Acne gone, my hair is stronger and shiny!!!"

Dee M.A July 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Ocella in March of 2016. It was the very first time I tried birth control and I am 26 years of age. I got on birth control because I am in a serious relationship but I am not ready for children and I wanted something to help me with my bad cramps and vomiting on the first days of my period. During the first week after my period I experienced breakthrough bleeding for about a month. Things were fine until I began having yeast infections. The first that I just thought ok it just a yeast infection. However I began to consistently experience them at least every month since then. I'm thinking of switching the pill as soon as I can to see if that helps. Besides this unrelenting side effects my breasts have become larger."

Skinny Mini (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used ocella years ago and it was great at first. My cramps weren't as painful or etc but then I started getting severe stomach pain and guess what? I found out I had gallstones due to Ocella and had to have my gallbladder removed when I was 20 and I'm 25 now. So if any ladies experience stomach pain on the right side you might have gallstones due to this pill"

Raez May 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not even all the way through my first pack and I have a love hate relationship with Ocella. My docs gave me this medication to prevent future cysts; I had a 9cm and two 4cm cysts (existent since birth). I have spotting EVERY DAY! I can't tell when my period started "

Aleykins May 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this birth control for 8 years now. I take it for acne, birth control, menstrual disorder premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I love this birth control they tried to put me on something else and I said no! I love this BC and I want to stay on it. Regulated my periods, took away migraines, took away me throwing up whenever my period came, and I never gained weight from it. I recommend this BC to anyone."

Sarah237!!!! January 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started BC because I had severe headaches, nausea, and dizziness when on my periods. I never had heavy bleeding or clotting... but I would get so dizzy I would be close to fainting if I was on my feet too much. The doctors simply said it could be my hormones changing and prescribed me ocella. I haven't noticed any weight gain or anything. It regulated my pain and dizziness during my periods. However, after 4 months I've been very nauseous and have had severe headaches and stomach pain. I could be coming down with something so I couldn't say it's 100% from the pill. Overall it's worked great for me and definitely aleviated my pain during menstration."

Nikki1814 January 15, 2016