User Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

Ocella Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella

Jazz · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

“I’ve been on Ocella for a couple of weeks and lost weight. It has completely changed my life. I used to have severe cramps every single day and I don’t now. I’m no longer bloated and going to the bathroom good. Acne has gotten a little worse and I’m a little nauseous at night.”

Stephanie · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

“I’ve been on this Ocella for 3 weeks.. and currently now on the 3rd week I’ve been bleeding heavy for 4 days straight (breakthrough bleeding? With lots of clots?) which is highly irritating and I’m already wanting to stop the medication. Doesn’t seem normal.”

Britt · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2020

“I love this pill. I tried so many others but this is the only one that doesn’t make me emotional. No weight gain and it’s helped clear my skin. I recommend this to everyone.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“I've been on Ocella for 2 months now, my period is so light that I think it’s implantation bleeding ! My cramps are very mild and I have no acne, I've been sad about absolutely everything but it hasn’t effected my life so much. This birth control is so much better then my other ones I have tried! I am 18 years old, I have never had a pregnancy scare. My periods last about 3-4 days”

Lolo · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 11, 2019

“Ocella is my second birth control that I've tried in my life. The first one I took gave me acne and it stuck with me even after I got off of it! So when the time came to get back on one, I was terrified something bad would happen. But Ocella is awesome!! No acne, no irregular periods, no rashes or anything weird and no weight gain. The only downside is that when I first took it I was a raging you-know-what, but you just have to learn to control your mood swings better. Other than that I LOVE Ocella for the fact that it doesn't give me acne or make me gain weight.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

“I have been on this pill for 3 months and so far it has been fairly good. Pros: -regular periods -low cramping -PMDD not as bad -doesn't cause acne -no crazy mood swings -prevents pregnancy, as it should! Cons: -weight gain/ difficulty losing weight -massive breast size increase (good for some people but not me) -headaches during placebo week -mild stomach upset on first day of resuming medicated pills I am guessing that the lack of real effectiveness on my acne is due more to my weight rather than the pill itself. Hopefully after a few more months it will be better!”

:)))) · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2019

“I just started Ocella about 3 months ago. I like it so far but I’m not sure how much it’s working so far, just because I’m not far into the journey yet. My first period was very light. Not much cramps but I did have some and when I did have cramps they were horrible. My mood has been good besides when people irritate me I get moody. I also have another pill I take and I don’t know if it interferes with Ocella or not. My acne has cleared up a ton but I do get random pimples.”

amld · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 2, 2019

“I’ve been on Ocella for about a year and 7 months, I was put on it after I took Loestrin Fe 1/20 due to break through bleeding after 6 months of taking it. Ocella never gave me any noticeable side effects. No weight gain/loss, no depression or anxiety. Periods always on time. And it 100% prevented pregnancy. The only side effect that I still barely get is slight nausea if I am awake super early. It tremendously helped my acne and my periods are always on time. Remember every person will have different effects on their body but I feel as if this will reassure some people on it. However, the one thing I just started noticing was the blood clot and DVT risk being higher in BC’s containing drospirenone so with that being said I will be looking into changing to a different brand (only because I’m a worrier about stuff like this).”

Amber · Taken for 10 years or more May 28, 2019

“I was on Ocella for about 14 years. I didn't gain weight nor get acne. It was actually a GREAT experience. I'm now getting off it to clean my system but I highly recommend this pill. I would get my period for about 3 days with no pain.”

db · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2019

“I was on this pill for a year then tried to switch to Nexplanon so I wouldnt have to remember to take a pill every day - HUGE MISTAKE. At least for my body. I'm back on Ocella and I'm BEYOND happy with it in comparison. Gives me the clearest skin, went from B cup to D cup without gaining weight elsewhere, and its worked well as a birth control so far! Ladies- the scariest thing about birth control (besides all the nasty side effects) is you really won't know what works for you until you try it. Everyones bodies are different and will react in different ways. I hope you find what is best for you :)”

User1008 · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2019

“About to finish my first month of this Ocella birthcontrol I was prescribed it by my gynecologist for my acne, because my Tri-Sprintec wasn’t helping anymore. So far this has been one of the worst months- horrible headaches, chest pains, and the worst would be the anxiety I’ve experienced. I’ve always had anxiety but this past month it has been completely out of control and crippling. I’m not sure what I’m going to do because I’ve read it takes three months for my body to get used to the BC, but I don’t know if I can take this much longer.”

Amb May 9, 2019

“This birth control has overall worked very well for me. I originally started birth control for acne and extreme cramps when I was 14 (I’m 26 now) and had first tried Tri Cyclen Lo which gave me a 3 month period and then tried Lo Estrin Fe which gave me a lot of cystic acne on my neck. Ocella I think helps my acne by balancing my hormones (I’m high in testosterone) and has made my cramps non existent. My period now only lasts around 3 days and is very light. The only downside is I think it’s made me gain about 10 lbs since restarting it after a few year break at 22 (I’m 26)... but weight gain may be from age as well.”

Rose April 8, 2019

“I started using this a as a purchase recommended from Nurx (20 years old) also, doing some research I figured this would be great considering I had a horrid experience with Lo Lostren Fe which gave me terrible anger and mood swings, huge cystic acne, which the doctor said it would help with my acne. Now switching to Ocella I don't see a difference besides I'm not getting as many pimples but I still am getting a new painful pimple every day which is so frustrating. Not sure how I feel it has been almost 2 months not and I am now starting to bleed on and off. I am very disappointing );”

Nikki April 8, 2019

“I have been taking ocella for a couple months now, and my sex drive is through the roof! My skin looks better and I feel better.”

woman · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2019

“I’ve been on Ocella for almost three months and it makes me sad over everything. I also started getting nauseous a lot after awhile but other than that it works fine for me.”

LadyPCOS March 18, 2019

“I have used this since it was Yazmin and for the most part it certainly helps, but one huuuuge thing I absolutely hate about this medicine is how emotional it makes me. I took a break from it for a couple of years to try other methods of helping my PCOS symptoms since I wasn't worried about pregnancy. When I started up again I really started noticing the major symptoms again. Nausea is present for me personally for the whole first month and again the first couple of days of each new pack. I cry at EVERYTHING HAPPY OR SAD. This I particularly hate because it's not the cute little one tear or two it's full on ugly, nose running, eyes swelling kind of crying. It's basically like going through puberty. every. single. month. I will say in the positive category it really helps keep my acne under control and my cyst formation is really low. So if you want to roll the dice on the mood swings it's a pretty good pill.”

Holly February 5, 2019

“Ocella seemed ok for a while until I started getting dark brown spots on my face. This was odd because my skin has always been like porcelain (even toned, no acne.) I went to a dermatologist because I thought it may be a side effect to Botox injections but upon evaluatinon, he said it was from my birth control. I was confused but he said that the hormones can cause “MELASMA”.. He said it may take years to go away after I stop taking birth control or it may NEVER go away. He said I can try bleaching creams but there is no permanent treatment for it. I have spent $600 on bleaching creams and nothing seems to work. I can still see it through my makeup and it makes me self conscious. At least with your guys’ issues, they go away once you’ve stopped. But for me, this may be a lifetime effect :( I really wish I was more informed. It’s sad the things us women put our bodies through while men merely complain about condoms. No more for me. It’s not worth the toll on our bodies.”

Jonesy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2019

“I started taking birth control before I married my husband. I was extremely worried because I have depression and did not know how the pill would effect me. My doctor told me to expect some nausea with the first month or so of taking Ocella and for that first month or so I definitely had some nausea but after that I have been fine. My acne has cleared up and I haven't had any unexpected mood swings. The only negative I saw was weight gain which made fitting into my wedding dress a little more difficult but it wasn't too extreme. The positive was that I went up to a C from an A in cup size. I have been on Ocella for almost a year and have had a positive experience overall. Especially before I took Ocella my periods have always been long and painful. Now on it I have noticed that my periods have progressively gotten shorter and I have had a lot less pain from cramps.”

JM · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2018

“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Took it two times and was overcome by horrible irritability, depression and ridiculous thoughts. I am a positive person and this was AWFUL. As soon as I stopped taking it my mood went back to normal. I felt as if Dementors (from Harry Potter Series) were sucking my soul. AVOID!”

Swedisheyes · Taken for 10 years or more November 11, 2018

“So I've been on Ocella when it was yasmin... Since 1996. No issues at all. It helps my mood swings and no endometriosis since on it. Migraines yes but it runs in my family..so no issues with it.”

AzureRays · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2018

“Out of all the birth control's I've taken throughout the years, Ocella has been an absolute blessing! I started taking it a little over a month ago. Since then I haven't experienced any bloating or my usual hormonal acne breakouts! My skin hasn't looked this great since elementary school (and I'm 25)! Only side-effect I have experienced is I'm a little more frustrated near my period, but it's so worth it! 10/10 would recommend!”

Katie October 11, 2018

“Just finished my first pack of Ocella. I am pleased so far! This is the 3rd birth control pill I have tried, first two were nightmares. I quit the pill all-together for 2 yrs but decided to start up again w/ Ocella. I was on Kariva then switched to Minastrin. I had AWFUL weight gain with both. I didn't change my diet, it was all water weight that was lost w/in a week of stopping the pills. So far on Ocella I have not gained any weight and do not feel bloated/ puffy. I am assuming that has to do with the diuretic effect of the progestin? which I am all for if it keeps bloating at bay! The first few days of taking this pill I had extreme nausea but that went away. I also had a few headaches but I got that before taking Ocella. Given my past experience I was terrified of taking this pill. So far, it has been a breeze. I am hoping that it continues to be like this! Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If you have struggled with other pills in the past this may be the one for you”

Hot Mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2018

“I had the Mirena for 3 years and hated it! I developed cystic acne and my periods were at least 2 weeks long each month. I got it removed and immediately started Ocella. It's been great. My periods are not longer than 5 days each month and my skin looks amazing! I rarely get break outs; but if I do, they go away MUCH quicker than normal. The only negatives are that I'm moody, bloated, and have heavy cravings during my cycle. The normal PMS effects I guess.”

Libbayee · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2018

“This medication caused really bad breakthrough bleeding. I’ve basically been on my period for a month, it’s miserable. Its also causing migraines. Effective at preventing pregnancy though.”

natrose1985 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

“I was using MonoNessa for 1 year before my doctor switched me to Ocella. I absolutely regret agreeing to the switch. I was perfectly fine with MonoNessa except for being a little dry “down there” during intimacy. I prefer that than what Ocella has done to me. I wake up with a headache almost every single day, I have a raging appetite, and I’ve been on Ocella since April 15 and started spotting April 18. It is now May 25 and I have not stopped spotting (sometimes heavier) AT ALL. For over a month now and this is just insane. I don’t suggest this pill to anyone.”