User Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

Ocella has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 128 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Ocella Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella

db · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2019

“I was on this pill for a year then tried to switch to Nexplanon so I wouldnt have to remember to take a pill every day - HUGE MISTAKE. At least for my body. I'm back on Ocella and I'm BEYOND happy with it in comparison. Gives me the clearest skin, went from B cup to D cup without gaining weight elsewhere, and its worked well as a birth control so far! Ladies- the scariest thing about birth control (besides all the nasty side effects) is you really won't know what works for you until you try it. Everyones bodies are different and will react in different ways. I hope you find what is best for you :)”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“I've been on Ocella for 2 months now, my period is so light that I think it’s implantation bleeding ! My cramps are very mild and I have no acne, I've been sad about absolutely everything but it hasn’t effected my life so much. This birth control is so much better then my other ones I have tried! I am 18 years old, I have never had a pregnancy scare. My periods last about 3-4 days”

Ronnie12 June 7, 2017

“I was prescribed to this birth control but after reading the awful reviews, I was seriously considering going back to the doctor to ask for another. I decided to give it a try and I've had absolutely no side effects. This is my first time taking birth control and it really worked perfect for me. I usually have a lot of acne and that has cleared up a lot already, which is a big plus!! Don't be discouraged with the other reviews, it might work for you too!”

Holly February 5, 2019

“Ocella seemed ok for a while until I started getting dark brown spots on my face. This was odd because my skin has always been like porcelain (even toned, no acne.) I went to a dermatologist because I thought it may be a side effect to Botox injections but upon evaluatinon, he said it was from my birth control. I was confused but he said that the hormones can cause “MELASMA”.. He said it may take years to go away after I stop taking birth control or it may NEVER go away. He said I can try bleaching creams but there is no permanent treatment for it. I have spent $600 on bleaching creams and nothing seems to work. I can still see it through my makeup and it makes me self conscious. At least with your guys’ issues, they go away once you’ve stopped. But for me, this may be a lifetime effect :( I really wish I was more informed. It’s sad the things us women put our bodies through while men merely complain about condoms. No more for me. It’s not worth the toll on our bodies.”

Pcos August 5, 2016

“Been on this for a year and so far it's helped me lose 80lbs which anybody that knows or experiences PCOS knows it's hard as heck to lose any weight. It's helped the unwanted body hair go away for the most part and my periods come every month and are usually between 7-9 days compared to once every 4-5 months and being at least 2 weeks long before I started this birth control. The hair on my head grows fuller and faster and the facial hair is almost completely gone. I suggest this birth control to anybody that experiences PCOS or symptoms like it”

Amber · Taken for 10 years or more May 28, 2019

“I was on Ocella for about 14 years. I didn't gain weight nor get acne. It was actually a GREAT experience. I'm now getting off it to clean my system but I highly recommend this pill. I would get my period for about 3 days with no pain.”

No Babies, but I'm Crazy October 19, 2010

“24 yrs old, healthy. On Ocella 14 months. Take it same time each day. Periods lighter/shorter with less cramping. Cleared up moderate acne. Great birth control -still kid free. Complaint is emotional side effects, which I noticed 6 months after starting Ocella. Super emotional for 1-2 weeks before my period (never had PMS symptoms before). Tiniest thing bothers me - very irrational and impatient. Feel like I've gone insane 2 weeks each month. Worst part is I *know* I'm being ridiculous, but can't pull myself out of it. Was on anti-depressants for 3 yrs and this makes me feel like I'm getting depressed again each month. Only time I feel 'normal' is when I'm on my period. I want to switch to a pill that has a gradual hormone transition throughout the month.”

JM · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2018

“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Took it two times and was overcome by horrible irritability, depression and ridiculous thoughts. I am a positive person and this was AWFUL. As soon as I stopped taking it my mood went back to normal. I felt as if Dementors (from Harry Potter Series) were sucking my soul. AVOID!”

LadyPCOS March 18, 2019

“I have used this since it was Yazmin and for the most part it certainly helps, but one huuuuge thing I absolutely hate about this medicine is how emotional it makes me. I took a break from it for a couple of years to try other methods of helping my PCOS symptoms since I wasn't worried about pregnancy. When I started up again I really started noticing the major symptoms again. Nausea is present for me personally for the whole first month and again the first couple of days of each new pack. I cry at EVERYTHING HAPPY OR SAD. This I particularly hate because it's not the cute little one tear or two it's full on ugly, nose running, eyes swelling kind of crying. It's basically like going through puberty. every. single. month. I will say in the positive category it really helps keep my acne under control and my cyst formation is really low. So if you want to roll the dice on the mood swings it's a pretty good pill.”

LilHannah February 2, 2013

“I'm 20, 5ft and 97lbs. I've been on Ocella for 4ish years now. I originally was on Yaz then Yasmin the. When Ocella came out I switched. For me, the experience was normal. I was moody on my periods (nothing new) and a big decrease in acne! But now I am thinking of switching to a stronger birth control, even though I've been on Ocella for so long and love the product I think my body needs a change in medication. I'm becoming a little more irritated then the first 2 years, my nipples are especially tender after my period which never happened before. It's time for a change. Overall a great product if you would like to see a decrease in acne, no weight gain, no pregnancy scares, no depression or moodiness for the most part. Good for older teens!”

Jazz · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

“I’ve been on Ocella for a couple of weeks and lost weight. It has completely changed my life. I used to have severe cramps every single day and I don’t now. I’m no longer bloated and going to the bathroom good. Acne has gotten a little worse and I’m a little nauseous at night.”

Lolo · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 11, 2019

“Ocella is my second birth control that I've tried in my life. The first one I took gave me acne and it stuck with me even after I got off of it! So when the time came to get back on one, I was terrified something bad would happen. But Ocella is awesome!! No acne, no irregular periods, no rashes or anything weird and no weight gain. The only downside is that when I first took it I was a raging you-know-what, but you just have to learn to control your mood swings better. Other than that I LOVE Ocella for the fact that it doesn't give me acne or make me gain weight.”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2021

“If you have IBS or any issues at ALL with your stomach, I do not recommend this pill. Not only was I severely depressed, moody, and anxious more than I had ever been in my life, but I also had terrible bowel movements and stomach pain and pelvic pain. I could not eat anything normally for 3 weeks and I've been off the pill for about 2 months now and my stomach is finally just now regulating. Everyone is different, but this pill was the worst mistake for me. (I was only on it for a month)”

Katie October 11, 2018

“Just finished my first pack of Ocella. I am pleased so far! This is the 3rd birth control pill I have tried, first two were nightmares. I quit the pill all-together for 2 yrs but decided to start up again w/ Ocella. I was on Kariva then switched to Minastrin. I had AWFUL weight gain with both. I didn't change my diet, it was all water weight that was lost w/in a week of stopping the pills. So far on Ocella I have not gained any weight and do not feel bloated/ puffy. I am assuming that has to do with the diuretic effect of the progestin? which I am all for if it keeps bloating at bay! The first few days of taking this pill I had extreme nausea but that went away. I also had a few headaches but I got that before taking Ocella. Given my past experience I was terrified of taking this pill. So far, it has been a breeze. I am hoping that it continues to be like this! Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If you have struggled with other pills in the past this may be the one for you”

pinkpaw February 2, 2017

“I LOVE this pill! I was on Jolessa for 4 years and always had constant spotting and bad acne, Sprintec for 4 months and had spotting and awful mood swings and periods, but Ocella is absolutely perfect. I've been on it for 3 months now and it's cleared up most of my acne, I've had no spotting and no periods, and I've lost 8 pounds! No mood swings, either. I would definitely recommend that anyone who is considering this pill give it a try. Plus, mine is only $9 a month! For the work it does, it is awesome. I cannot speak on effectiveness for pregnancy prevention as I use it to skip periods and am not sexually active.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2012

“I've been on Ocella for about 4 months now, after being on Microgestin for 4 years. I don't have too many complaints with either, although I will say that my skin is far clearer on Ocella than it ever was on Microgestin. My periods on Ocella are quite light and last only 4-5 days; cramps are usually mild. No headaches, nausea, mood swings, or noticeable change in sex drive, which seem to be a problem for a lot of other women. Also, I actually dropped a couple of pounds after starting Ocella with no lifestyle or diet change. My only concern is that I do have a history of ovarian cysts, which Microgestin effectively quashed; only time will tell whether or not Ocella causes any change. 23 years old, otherwise healthy.”

monica1989 May 20, 2013

“I've been on it for 2 months now, I switched to Ocella to treat moderate acne, so far I have noticed a slight decrease in breakouts but also noticed I have no self control over what I eat anymore and have gained weight I am an active person and I have noticed a change in weight. Also very moody and I have a short temper and am very moody, I snap at everyone even at work.”

User1008 · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2019

“About to finish my first month of this Ocella birthcontrol I was prescribed it by my gynecologist for my acne, because my Tri-Sprintec wasn’t helping anymore. So far this has been one of the worst months- horrible headaches, chest pains, and the worst would be the anxiety I’ve experienced. I’ve always had anxiety but this past month it has been completely out of control and crippling. I’m not sure what I’m going to do because I’ve read it takes three months for my body to get used to the BC, but I don’t know if I can take this much longer.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

“I have been on this pill for 3 months and so far it has been fairly good. Pros: -regular periods -low cramping -PMDD not as bad -doesn't cause acne -no crazy mood swings -prevents pregnancy, as it should! Cons: -weight gain/ difficulty losing weight -massive breast size increase (good for some people but not me) -headaches during placebo week -mild stomach upset on first day of resuming medicated pills I am guessing that the lack of real effectiveness on my acne is due more to my weight rather than the pill itself. Hopefully after a few more months it will be better!”

amld · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 2, 2019

“I’ve been on Ocella for about a year and 7 months, I was put on it after I took Loestrin Fe 1/20 due to break through bleeding after 6 months of taking it. Ocella never gave me any noticeable side effects. No weight gain/loss, no depression or anxiety. Periods always on time. And it 100% prevented pregnancy. The only side effect that I still barely get is slight nausea if I am awake super early. It tremendously helped my acne and my periods are always on time. Remember every person will have different effects on their body but I feel as if this will reassure some people on it. However, the one thing I just started noticing was the blood clot and DVT risk being higher in BC’s containing drospirenone so with that being said I will be looking into changing to a different brand (only because I’m a worrier about stuff like this).”

Sairii · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 12, 2016

“I have taken Ocella for almost eight years and loved it. It improved my acne, mood swings, etc. I didn't really have any noticeable side effects. However, in the last few months I started getting all over body itching and then hives. I eventually realized going off of this cured my itching/hives so I decided to write this review incase anyone else is dealing with these symptoms. Generics can change filler ingredients at any time, so unfortunately I will no longer be taking this pill.”

Ren · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2020

“I was on Ocella when I was 16 for about three months. In those three months I became severely depressed, I was uncontrollably angry and sad every day of my life, I gained 20 pounds, and I became recluse. This might just be a unique experience for me but please talk to your doctor before you have your mind set on this birth-control. It barely helped with my cramps which is the reason I was taking it. I don’t think, in my opinion, that it was worth it. It took two years for the effects to wear off.”

Sarah237!!!! January 28, 2016

“I have been on this birth control for 8 years now. I take it for acne, birth control, menstrual disorder premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I love this birth control they tried to put me on something else and I said no! I love this BC and I want to stay on it. Regulated my periods, took away migraines, took away me throwing up whenever my period came, and I never gained weight from it. I recommend this BC to anyone.”

bb88 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2013

“No significant weight gain, No cramping during period, Period lasts for a shorter amount of time, No heavy bleeding (no spotting, either). Overall, I'm very happy with Ocella. I'm 24 and have been taking it for 5 years. At this point, I'm not even sure how my body would react to not being on birth control since it has been so long.”

kt840 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2014

“I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain.”