User Reviews for Ocella

Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

"I hate this pill its the second birth control I have been on and I cant wait to switch. I have been on Ocella for 6 months and all 6 months have been terrible I've been gaining weight which makes me extremely depressed and I've had really bad mood swings. I am usually a calm, easy going person but ever since I have been on this pill every little thing irritates me or makes me mad. My doctor also assured me this pill would make my period shorter and lighter.....no....not at all. However I have not gotten pregnant so it works in that regard."

tokia September 18, 2016

"I have taken Ocella for almost eight years and loved it. It improved my acne, mood swings, etc. I didn't really have any noticeable side effects. However, in the last few months I started getting all over body itching and then hives. I eventually realized going off of this cured my itching/hives so I decided to write this review incase anyone else is dealing with these symptoms. Generics can change filler ingredients at any time, so unfortunately I will no longer be taking this pill."

Sairii (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2016

"I started this method about 8 months ago. I hate it. No change in acne, but weight gain, headaches, horrible heavy crampy periods, intense mood swings. I'm switching soon. On the good side: I'm not pregnant so yay there and I know exactly when Hell Week (last 7 days always) starts and ends."

KrisNBliss September 9, 2016

"I just recently finished my first pack of Ocella and I don't have many things to complain about except the cramps during my period!!! They were deadly & so uncomfortable. My period was heavy also. But I'm on it to regulate my period. I haven't gained any weight but I've been noticing pimples popping up and I've never had this problem before I'm not sure if my hormones aren't used to it yet but the acne sucks & my breast have been tender also. But overall it's a pretty good birth control method."

S.B (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

"Been on this for a year and so far it's helped me lose 80lbs which anybody that knows or experiences PCOS knows it's hard as heck to lose any weight. It's helped the unwanted body hair go away for the most part and my periods come every month and are usually between 7-9 days compared to once every 4-5 months and being at least 2 weeks long before I started this birth control. The hair on my head grows fuller and faster and the facial hair is almost completely gone. I suggest this birth control to anybody that experiences PCOS or symptoms like it"

Pcos August 5, 2016

"Took Ocella for 2 years. It cleared up my acne and helped a lot with period cramps. I never got pregnant and was sexually active the whole time. BUT I gained an insane amount of weight with little change to my diet or exercise. I gained about 30 pounds during that time and was super bloated with a lot of fluid retention. Looking back on photos I can tell when I was on it by how bloated my face looked vs when I went off. Didn't notice much change in sex drive which is good. Probably won't use again."

WebsJR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

"5 stars!!! Acne gone, my hair is stronger and shiny!!!"

Dee M.A July 20, 2016

"I started taking Ocella in March of 2016. It was the very first time I tried birth control and I am 26 years of age. I got on birth control because I am in a serious relationship but I am not ready for children and I wanted something to help me with my bad cramps and vomiting on the first days of my period. During the first week after my period I experienced breakthrough bleeding for about a month. Things were fine until I began having yeast infections. The first that I just thought ok it just a yeast infection. However I began to consistently experience them at least every month since then. I'm thinking of switching the pill as soon as I can to see if that helps. Besides this unrelenting side effects my breasts have become larger."

Skinny Mini (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

"I used ocella years ago and it was great at first. My cramps weren't as painful or etc but then I started getting severe stomach pain and guess what? I found out I had gallstones due to Ocella and had to have my gallbladder removed when I was 20 and I'm 25 now. So if any ladies experience stomach pain on the right side you might have gallstones due to this pill"

Raez May 7, 2016

"I'm not even all the way through my first pack and I have a love hate relationship with Ocella. My docs gave me this medication to prevent future cysts; I had a 9cm and two 4cm cysts (existent since birth). I have spotting EVERY DAY! I can't tell when my period started "

Aleykins May 2, 2016

"I have been on this birth control for 8 years now. I take it for acne, birth control, menstrual disorder premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I love this birth control they tried to put me on something else and I said no! I love this BC and I want to stay on it. Regulated my periods, took away migraines, took away me throwing up whenever my period came, and I never gained weight from it. I recommend this BC to anyone."

Sarah237!!!! January 28, 2016

"I started BC because I had severe headaches, nausea, and dizziness when on my periods. I never had heavy bleeding or clotting... but I would get so dizzy I would be close to fainting if I was on my feet too much. The doctors simply said it could be my hormones changing and prescribed me ocella. I haven't noticed any weight gain or anything. It regulated my pain and dizziness during my periods. However, after 4 months I've been very nauseous and have had severe headaches and stomach pain. I could be coming down with something so I couldn't say it's 100% from the pill. Overall it's worked great for me and definitely aleviated my pain during menstration."

Nikki1814 January 15, 2016

"Starting in elementary school, my acne was horrible. At age 13, it morphed into a rare form of cystic acne. Came back a couple years after the first bout was defeated. Currently just 18, and have been on Ocella since mid August. Since being put on Ocella, my acne has decreased immensely, and stayed as regular types of breakouts rather than the cystic variety. Haven't experienced any major side effects, although I am more prone to getting emotional over the sweet, mushy gushy stuff. At first, my sex drive was higher (even though I've never actually acted on it), but that has calmed down now. My periods are a bit lighter, and are slightly more predictable down to the start and end days. I would definitely recommend this birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

"I'm still currently taking this drug, and there have been really no side affects other than an upset stomach if I don't eat when I take it, and it also makes me very touchy and angry. I used to never get raging mad but ever since I've been on the pill the simplest things set me off and I go made with out even realizing it's happening."

Bellsies (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

"This is my first month taking it and I have gained weight, I have been super moody I keep lashing out at people and I dont even mean too, its making my acne worse. I have had really bad headaches."

M.B.S December 11, 2015

"I had a great experience on Ocella. My insurances does full coverage of it for me so it's free every month, huge plus! I was also prone ever since my first period, which was pretty late, I would skip months at a time and then have terrible cramps, periods, and awful moods. Prescription midol couldn't even provide me with relief. I got on a BC that caused me to gain weight even though I was dieting and exercising and stopped it. I then a few months later got on Ocella. I have my period every month and lasts about 4 days. It's pretty heavy with minimal cramps. I haven't gained weight but I can seem to lose any either but that's not really a problem for me at this time. No out of the ordinary mood swings, sickness, or tiredness."

Osburn15 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2015

"I'm writing this because as I do more research to try to find a new BC, I realize most people leave bad reviews! I had been on Ocella for almost 10 years when my doc recently told me it's known to cause blood clots. Until then I had otherwise a good experience with it. I think the most noticeable things I can remember or slight dryness and a decreased sex drive. But no emotional turmoil or headaches - which is what I'm facing now. I miss Ocella!"

SydneyAnne (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2015

"Not a huge fan. I started taking Ocella about 9 months ago only as birth control. It was my first experience being on the pill. Good: NEVER GOT PREGNANT! Meh: I went up a full cup size (C to a D, but I already have a small frame so I didn't celebrate) Bad: It gave me terrible nausea, headaches and migraines. I started having awful mood swings and felt like I was always lashing out. Period didn't change, I still had an extremely heavy flow for at least a week with little to no spotting before or after and said goodbye to too many pairs of cute panties. Worst of all, it brought an a horrible bout of depression that I'm still dealing with. I recently switched to another birth control with lower estrogen, so hopefully it goes better this time."

BeeBabe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

"I've been taking this for the past six months and I'm so ready to ditch it! Yes, it cleared up my acne but I've gained almost 10 lbs and cannot get rid of them! I've tried exercise and changed my eating habits, but no success. It's also made me really irritable and tired. Thankfully I'm meeting with my doctor next month!"

Xxyyzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2015

"If you're considering using this I wouldn't recommend it. On the first week of using this I would find myself hysterically crying on the bathroom floor at night. I got really depressed while on it on the first week. On the second week literally on the 10th day of using this I got hives. I didn't stop using it hoping it would just go away. Wrong. It got so bad I was hospitalized for it"

Do.Not.Use.It (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"The only reason I didn't rate this pill a 1, is because it did clear up my skin, which is initially why I switched to Ocella. I was on BeYaz for 3 months and loved it, and when I learned my insurance did not cover it, I quickly had to switch to a similar generic birth control. Which I thought Ocella was always compared to BeYaz. So let me just say it did wonders for my skin. HOWEVER, within a week of taking the pill, I noticed a huge change in my mood. I was really sad all of the time, especially at work. It only went down from there. After 5 weeks on Ocella, I had an anxiety attack at my boyfriends house and the following week I experienced the heaviest depression I have ever felt in my life. I had horrible thoughts, felt hopeless and dowN"

Ihateocella14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"pros -much lighter period -shorter period (4-5 days) -almost no cramps -no pregnancy scares -clearer skin CONS -really sore boobs all of the time -high blood pressure -lost a lot of hair and my hair about half as thick as it use to be"

alexandra1210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

"No side effects(nausea, headaches,etc) Regulated my period"

archii May 5, 2015

"I started taking this when I was 17 years old (now almost 22) and ordinary antibiotics weren't helping my acne problems. Before, I had unpredictable periods (often skipping once every several months for no reason), painful cramps, and a period lasting up to 7 whole days. Now I have a 99% clear face, a regular light-medium period lasting 4-5 days and NO cramps! I am not sexually active (never have been), so I'm not sure how effective it is for me actual birth control-wise, but my sex drive is much lower. I may end up finding a new brand once I get married later this year because of this side effect alone."

Strebla1234 April 21, 2015

"I used to be on TriPrevifem and i could only last a month on that. the nausea was so bad and i was only like 3 weeks into my first pack. now i'm on my second pack of ocella and i've had virtually NO side effects which is amazing! no weight gain thank god. The only thing is my cramps during my period were down right deadly but i hear that gets better over time. I am sooo happy, i forget i'm even on birth control and that's an awesome thing."

jkdsjlfda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015