User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 264 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"I had paragard for 3 years before switching to YAZ. Paragard was the worst thing I had ever put my body through and I DO NOT recommend it. Anyway, with the Yaz the first 1-2 months I was exhausted, dizzy, nauseous, sense of smell and taste were heightened, almost felt like early pregnancy signs. I decided to stick it out for the full 3 months to let my body adjust and I don't regret it! My acne is gone, my periods are light with mild cramping only lasting 5 days at the most, I had severe PMDD before going on Yaz and now I still get emotional of course but it's helped control my severe mood swings so much. Yaz has done everything my doctor told me it would do for me and more! PS- I did not gain weight on this pill"

Kfula (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first experience with YAZ (10 yrs ago) was good - it helped with my skin and didn't notice any major side effects. After a few years, I went off of all BC - I was single and they're expensive, etc. About a year ago, I decided to go back on BC and chose YAZ again. I'm normally pretty mellow (low moments from time to time, nothing crazy) but I've noticed that since taking it again, epic mood swings set off by the tiniest things. End of the world. Major rage issues (I threw a $800 laptop 15ft across my living room) or just feeling hopeless. I almost had a meltdown when making pancakes. I thought it was just me at first, but thinking back on it, this all started a year ago. It's cost me my relationship. I have my yearly next week, gonna try something new."

CSSgirl September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 21 years old, healthy young girl. I was on YAZ for 8 months before noticing any changes, all was well. One day I noticed a deep blue vein on my inner calf and thought nothing of it. Today I currently have spider veins and countless thick veins from my feet to thigh. I have countless days where I am in so much pain I do not want to get out of bed, my legs burn and ache to the point where I am in tears. I currently have to wear compression socks for the rest of my life and even with the socks and elevating my feet I am still in pain, I have to have constant Dr appointment to monitor for DVT, (deep vein thrombosis) this is all because of YAZ. My entire life is impacted because of YAZ I have to take ASA everyday now. I will never recommend YAZ"

Ashla August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hated being on Yaz. It caused me to gain a lot of weight, so much so and so quickly it actually scared me. I was incredibly depressed and sad all the time finding myself crying nearly every day whereas I am normally a person who almost never cries or gets overly emotional. I had difficulty breathing and felt like my chest was weighed down. Anxiety and panic attacks became my daily norm. Another strange thing was it gave me little red bumps all over my face that weren't acne but just texture. I have been off Yaz for a year now and I still have the red bumpy texture all of my face "

LayneRaye (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication for one month and have never felt worse in my entire life. Before taking this pill I was an energetic and positive person. Now I am exhausted all the time and hit a wall at 4:00 every day. My confidence has plummeted and I am experiencing extreme mood swings/anxiety/depressive symptoms. I have never experienced anxiety prior to taking this birth control and I have had multiple intense panic attacks within the past month. Other side effects have been increased heart rate, tight chest/trouble breathing, & chronic headaches. I was put on yaz for my acne and it did help in some sense, but it is not worth feeling like crap 24/7."

becaC1995 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from Mononessa to Yaz. After the horrible experience I had with Mononessa, Yaz was amazing! It was all good until the beginning of my 4th year of being on it. My body got used to Yaz. I noticed a drastic change in my sex drive(like no sex drive at all, my poor BF), and insane mood swings and starting to feel sadness. I went to the doctor, today actually, and asked her to switch and now I am trying Microgestin in one month after I get my period again. I am nervous since I am reading a lot about the weight gain and mood swings and low sex drive involved with Microgestin which is what I'm trying to get away from. But good thing is, I can always go back and keep trying since there are thousands of birth controls out there. Goodluck!"

BirthControlUser July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"22 year old with a history of anxiety, and have found absolutely no issues with Yaz. Decided to make the switch after feeling overly emotional on Levlen. Was a little reluctant after reading reviews, but haven't experienced any side-effects at all, or at least if I have, they've been too minimal for me to notice!"

allie2100 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 42 years old I was given generic birth control for yaz not to prevent pregnancy but to help me with my hotflashes and irregular periods. I was on for 1 year & 1/2 years and I notice I was developing muscle leg cramping , red spider veins on my legs. I read how it could be dangerous if you develop blood clot because of birthcontrol I discontinue the use but now I'm back of hotflashes no leg cramping but hotflashing Are very uncomfortable I get moody any one knows what I can use to help me with hotflashes ..please help"

Msgalvan39 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Yaz for about 6 months. A couple weeks ago I was finding it hard to breathe and having chest pains. To my complete surprise, doctors found I had multiple blood clots in both my lungs blocking almost my entire airway and admitted me into hospital straight away. I am a healthy 23 year old and doctors said they have never seen a PE (Pulmonary Embolism) as bad as mine. Tests came back confirming that the clots were caused from my YAZ pill. They told me that had I waited a couple more days I could have dropped down dead without any warning. Very scary to know the pill can cause this much damage to the body, I don't know how they are still producing and selling this pill. After my near death experience, I will NEVER recommend this pill"

geegeekate June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yaz gave me horrible mood swings, depression, headache, sickness, leg cramp, hair loss, slow foggy brain, etc. I lost 1/4 of my hair. I'd feel so much headache to the point my brain became foggy when I tried to work. I couldn't read and think as fast as I could before I took the pill. It hurt my work performance and gave me horrible headaches and body cramps. My leg hurt really badly possibly due to blood clot. I quit it but got 5 big endometrial polyps while using yaz although something else might have caused them. I had surgery to remove them few months ago and I have been sick and weak ever since, became anemic, and couldn't work for months. I get super dizzy from anemia at work now. My body isn't like it used to be"

Jenny from the block June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Yaz wasn't great. While it eliminated my migraine headaches and made my period shorter, lighter, and diminished PMS symptoms - it gave me an awful intermittent tingling sensation in and around my extremities, a dull pain at the base of my skull, vertigo, heart racing and dizzy spells; not to mention a few near syncope experiences - one of which landed me in the ER. My OBGYN tells me I'm "pill sensitive." I was on Yaz for only three weeks from March-April. I am a 32 year old, slender, busy career-oriented woman. I did not gain weight on this pill. In fact, I believe it suppressed my appetite and I lost about five pounds while on it. Sensitive women may be disappointed. Still recovering from scary symptoms."

Titi Sophie (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"(Continuation) It was on the fourth month, my condition got better but still with bouts of migraine and what I noticed is that I somehow smell "down there". Though my BV was treated more than five months ago, I became worried about it. Before the fifth pack, I forgot to take a pill so I had to follow how to continue it. I stopped by the fifth pack because I simply couldn't take it anymore. Migraine was so severe and depression and anxiety made me feel restless. I bled again. The smell of my discharge is not really good like there was something rotten (I don't use tampon). I gained weight too. Though I have lesser acne. But I can't prolong my agony anymore so I stopped."

madis April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best hormonal contraception I've tried. Originally used the cheap Levlen brand, which made me emotional and gain weight. Also tried Implanon, the arm implant, but continually spotted for a year before having it removed. Nurse prescribed Yaz for me after an unwanted pregnancy. It made my periods lighter and shorter, and not as painful; I have no side effects or mood swings; my skin is clearer, and I haven't added any weight because of it. I like that it has 24 active pills and I often skip periods. The only downside is the price - it's quite expensive in Australia."

Pixie14 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was horrible for me! It sank me into a VERY deep depression after being on it for a few months. I stayed in bed crying all night for no reason. I stopped taking it and the depression was gone. I would NEVER take Yaz ever again!"

Jane D March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on Yaz for 18 days now. I struggled with a sudden constant acne breakout on my chin (hormones). Doctor prescribed Yaz, especially to help with the acne. I am very happy with how the pill improved my skin. I've noticed I can't drink the pill on a empty stomach (otherwise I am really nauseous). The only side effect I experience is the constant swelling of breasts. Some days it's very sensitive other days not. Yaz workers differently for every person."

Marinds (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was really shocked when I read some of the reviews about this pill. I've been using it for almost 3 years. I've never experienced something negative about it. I felt the same as before emotionally, no changes in moods, nothing. The only thing that changed is that my periods are shorter and now I don't have to use drugs to prevent menstrual cramps, because there are none. My skin has been always clear, even before taking pills. Honestly, there is nothing bad to say about my experience with it."

Akali (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am almost 25 years old and have been taking Yaz or Beyaz for the past 4 years. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 14 and have tried various other birth controls with no relief of my endometriosis. When my doctor prescribed Yaz I was hesitant at first because of the commercials talking about blood clots but decided to try it anyway. Yaz and Beyaz have literally been life savers for me. I used to have cramps so bad I was unable to attend school or work. My periods would also be a full week long and heavy bleeding the entire time. Since getting on Yaz I do still have some cramping but it is manageable with midol. My periods are now 3 days long, with only one day that's heavier. I don't have any complaints!"

Britt402 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on for a month and totally love it. Skin is clear, no weight changes, and actually my mood is a little better overall."

Mel772211 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the yaz contraceptive pill for only around 6-8 months, but it was the worst experience. I complained about acne to my doctor and she recommended it, but I did not notice a drastic difference in my breakouts while on the pill. I had been on alesse for 2 years before switching to yaz so I was well aware of some of the side affects to birth control pill use. When I switched to yaz I honestly felt miserable and immediately noticed my sex drive decreased drastically and I had low energy all the time. I had never felt that way while on alesse and I thought perhaps it was only a side effect to just starting the new pill. However, in the entire time I was taking yaz my mood did not change and I felt it best to switch back to alesse."

lii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Yaz for about 3 weeks now and I am an emotional wreck, but all birth controls that I have been on have had me like this. My face is clearing up I think and my hair is growing, but my emotions get the best of me. I feel like a crazy person crying one minute and fine the next. I get upset over the smallest things and I hate it. Also, My sex drive is super low. This sucks honestly"

Myy March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 26 years old and have been using Yaz as a contraceptive for 1 year now (2016-2017). I had been taking it previously from 2013-2014 (prescribed to me 1st, for menstrual cramps and oily/hormonal breakout skin). I was completely off Yaz in 2015 after noticing extreme side effects and am sharing this to let women know they're not alone in this whirlwind of emotion this Pill brings along. I must say that it indeed cleared my skin and turned my menstrual flow into hardly anything and for 2 days only. Cramps still come... It started off with a noticeable shift in controlling anger/getting irritated really quickly. Then emotions heightening, most turning into major emotional breakdowns and then SEVERE anxiety."

Rikki_South Africa March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found this pill at the start to be amazing and fit me to the best. But later discovered it is not for me.. I'm now switching pills to see if I can bring back my old self. I have taken YAZ for 14 months and am now taking my month which will make it 15 months. To say I'm tired is not the word and shifting weight is near impossible. I have exercised and dieted with nothing more than a pound gained or the scale not moving. I also have in between bleeding. After taking the 15th day I am guaranteed brown discharge and then some spotting, which I shouldn't be getting. My period now as been the worse I have ever gotten in a long time."

ElleBells (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the worst drug I have ever taken. Two weeks after taking it my breast swell up they wore so painful I can hardly work... I had problems bleeding last night and I feel most of my body itching... my waist hurts... my energy levels are so low it feel like I am so sick... I feel cold and depressed .... I never feel so bad"

Maria Georgieva (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi! I've been taking YAZ since 2008 and I've had no issues at all! Very clear skin, no weight gain, little to no period, no changes in my personality or mood... nothing! Only time I came off was when we were TTC :-)"

Beth1990 February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only took this medication for about 10 days, but I heard horror stories about birth control so was scared of taking it, but really it caused nothing major, just a bit of nausea that I could easily handle with some ginger tea. no sudden water weight gain, no acne, but I was a short while on this medication, the thing is it made me quite emotional in the last few days and , but probably it is that I am just in an emotional period of my life and the pill made my emotions a bit more raw, I just did not want to deal with that and stopped. But I think the benefits outweigh the these mild side effects, and it felt like they will subside if I continued taking the pill. try it."

kali27 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017