User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"My experience with Yaz wasn't great. While it eliminated my migraine headaches and made my period shorter, lighter, and diminished PMS symptoms - it gave me an awful intermittent tingling sensation in and around my extremities, a dull pain at the base of my skull, vertigo, heart racing and dizzy spells; not to mention a few near syncope experiences - one of which landed me in the ER. My OBGYN tells me I'm "pill sensitive." I was on Yaz for only three weeks from March-April. I am a 32 year old, slender, busy career-oriented woman. I did not gain weight on this pill. In fact, I believe it suppressed my appetite and I lost about five pounds while on it. Sensitive women may be disappointed. Still recovering from scary symptoms."

Titi Sophie (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"(Continuation) It was on the fourth month, my condition got better but still with bouts of migraine and what I noticed is that I somehow smell "down there". Though my BV was treated more than five months ago, I became worried about it. Before the fifth pack, I forgot to take a pill so I had to follow how to continue it. I stopped by the fifth pack because I simply couldn't take it anymore. Migraine was so severe and depression and anxiety made me feel restless. I bled again. The smell of my discharge is not really good like there was something rotten (I don't use tampon). I gained weight too. Though I have lesser acne. But I can't prolong my agony anymore so I stopped."

madis April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Best hormonal contraception I've tried. Originally used the cheap Levlen brand, which made me emotional and gain weight. Also tried Implanon, the arm implant, but continually spotted for a year before having it removed. Nurse prescribed Yaz for me after an unwanted pregnancy. It made my periods lighter and shorter, and not as painful; I have no side effects or mood swings; my skin is clearer, and I haven't added any weight because of it. I like that it has 24 active pills and I often skip periods. The only downside is the price - it's quite expensive in Australia."

Pixie14 April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was horrible for me! It sank me into a VERY deep depression after being on it for a few months. I stayed in bed crying all night for no reason. I stopped taking it and the depression was gone. I would NEVER take Yaz ever again!"

Jane D March 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on Yaz for 18 days now. I struggled with a sudden constant acne breakout on my chin (hormones). Doctor prescribed Yaz, especially to help with the acne. I am very happy with how the pill improved my skin. I've noticed I can't drink the pill on a empty stomach (otherwise I am really nauseous). The only side effect I experience is the constant swelling of breasts. Some days it's very sensitive other days not. Yaz workers differently for every person."

Marinds (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was really shocked when I read some of the reviews about this pill. I've been using it for almost 3 years. I've never experienced something negative about it. I felt the same as before emotionally, no changes in moods, nothing. The only thing that changed is that my periods are shorter and now I don't have to use drugs to prevent menstrual cramps, because there are none. My skin has been always clear, even before taking pills. Honestly, there is nothing bad to say about my experience with it."

Akali (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am almost 25 years old and have been taking Yaz or Beyaz for the past 4 years. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 14 and have tried various other birth controls with no relief of my endometriosis. When my doctor prescribed Yaz I was hesitant at first because of the commercials talking about blood clots but decided to try it anyway. Yaz and Beyaz have literally been life savers for me. I used to have cramps so bad I was unable to attend school or work. My periods would also be a full week long and heavy bleeding the entire time. Since getting on Yaz I do still have some cramping but it is manageable with midol. My periods are now 3 days long, with only one day that's heavier. I don't have any complaints!"

Britt402 March 22, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on for a month and totally love it. Skin is clear, no weight changes, and actually my mood is a little better overall."

Mel772211 March 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on the yaz contraceptive pill for only around 6-8 months, but it was the worst experience. I complained about acne to my doctor and she recommended it, but I did not notice a drastic difference in my breakouts while on the pill. I had been on alesse for 2 years before switching to yaz so I was well aware of some of the side affects to birth control pill use. When I switched to yaz I honestly felt miserable and immediately noticed my sex drive decreased drastically and I had low energy all the time. I had never felt that way while on alesse and I thought perhaps it was only a side effect to just starting the new pill. However, in the entire time I was taking yaz my mood did not change and I felt it best to switch back to alesse."

lii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Yaz for about 3 weeks now and I am an emotional wreck, but all birth controls that I have been on have had me like this. My face is clearing up I think and my hair is growing, but my emotions get the best of me. I feel like a crazy person crying one minute and fine the next. I get upset over the smallest things and I hate it. Also, My sex drive is super low. This sucks honestly"

Myy March 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 26 years old and have been using Yaz as a contraceptive for 1 year now (2016-2017). I had been taking it previously from 2013-2014 (prescribed to me 1st, for menstrual cramps and oily/hormonal breakout skin). I was completely off Yaz in 2015 after noticing extreme side effects and am sharing this to let women know they're not alone in this whirlwind of emotion this Pill brings along. I must say that it indeed cleared my skin and turned my menstrual flow into hardly anything and for 2 days only. Cramps still come... It started off with a noticeable shift in controlling anger/getting irritated really quickly. Then emotions heightening, most turning into major emotional breakdowns and then SEVERE anxiety."

Rikki_South Africa March 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I found this pill at the start to be amazing and fit me to the best. But later discovered it is not for me.. I'm now switching pills to see if I can bring back my old self. I have taken YAZ for 14 months and am now taking my month which will make it 15 months. To say I'm tired is not the word and shifting weight is near impossible. I have exercised and dieted with nothing more than a pound gained or the scale not moving. I also have in between bleeding. After taking the 15th day I am guaranteed brown discharge and then some spotting, which I shouldn't be getting. My period now as been the worse I have ever gotten in a long time."

ElleBells (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the worst drug I have ever taken. Two weeks after taking it my breast swell up they wore so painful I can hardly work... I had problems bleeding last night and I feel most of my body itching... my waist hurts... my energy levels are so low it feel like I am so sick... I feel cold and depressed .... I never feel so bad"

Maria Georgieva (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi! I've been taking YAZ since 2008 and I've had no issues at all! Very clear skin, no weight gain, little to no period, no changes in my personality or mood... nothing! Only time I came off was when we were TTC :-)"

Beth1990 February 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I only took this medication for about 10 days, but I heard horror stories about birth control so was scared of taking it, but really it caused nothing major, just a bit of nausea that I could easily handle with some ginger tea. no sudden water weight gain, no acne, but I was a short while on this medication, the thing is it made me quite emotional in the last few days and , but probably it is that I am just in an emotional period of my life and the pill made my emotions a bit more raw, I just did not want to deal with that and stopped. But I think the benefits outweigh the these mild side effects, and it felt like they will subside if I continued taking the pill. try it."

kali27 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I'm 24 years old, healthy, and known for my fitness regime. I've been taking Yaz for three weeks now and it is horrible. I have a history of mental health issues and this medicine made me severely depressed and suicidal. I lost all interest in my activities and it is hard for me to talk to people anymore. I also gained a little weight, got hives, and regularly have stomach pains now. I'm not sure if I should continue with this medicine. I'm going to talk to my doctor. But, I know medicine doesn't necessarily work the same for everyone, so I wanted to share my experience. Talk to your doctor about the risks before taking Yaz."

0007Tay February 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had nothing but positive experiences since I started taking Yaz in 2009. Clear skin, light or no periods, and of course no babies. I haven't had any negative side effects like weight gain or mood swings."

Kat-h February 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take this medicine for endometriosis and to prevent ovarian cysts. Since taking it, I have have had far less pain and no cysts. As a bonus, it cleared up my bad skin. I experienced fewer side effects than other pills I have taken. The main side effect I have experienced is decreased sex drive which is unfortunate but it beats the pain from endometriosis or cysts."

xoya (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do not take this bc. The hormone in this pill has a bad habit of lowering testosterone in women. That may sound like a good thing, but if you are a woman with normal to low levels already, further lowering will cause low energy, low motivation, low sex drive, and feeling generally crappy. I took this for four days and slept 24 hours on the last day. I'm done with it. I hope I stopped soon enough, these effects can be permanent in some women. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with having your testosterone levels checked first, if you even find a doctor that will."

Hwiese (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Yaz for 3 days and stopped immediately after that. On the 3rd day of taking Yaz, I experienced numbness and tingling in my left arm and hand. I felt some heart palpitations, but then it stopped. On day 4, I woke up still feeling that numbness and tingling, and started to feel my heart race so quickly, I also got shortness of breath. I felt sick, so I went to my pharmacist who told me to stop the pill and see a doctor. At this point, I started to feel a little better. I went to the medical clinic and saw a doctor who checked my heart rate, which turned out to be elevated. The rest of the check up was ok, said to go to hospital if Inhave bad reactions again. So sorry that I took this pill in the first place."

Abs80 January 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The only reason why I am giving it 2 stars is because it did clear my acne better than any product I have ever used. I got on it after my mirena was removed 4 months ago and it's the only pill form of birth control I have ever taken. However, as soon as I am done with my red pills I will not be taking it anymore. It has made me a lunatic. I am so bipolar/emotionally unstable/depressed its not even funny!! I am destroying my relationship with my mood swings/instability. I'll be okay for a day or two and then I start feeling crazy again. I cry constantly for no reason. I'm even having nightmares almost every night. Hopefully switching to a different pill will help."

RACHAEL0627 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst mistake of my life. I was on Yaz for 3 months, my acne is worse than ever, I gained a lot of weight, my mental health has never been so bad - anxiety, depression, my self esteem is so low it's terrifying. I would not recommend this medication to anyone - but I understand everyone is different and some have had great experiences with Yaz. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Chelle Seay December 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Yaz BC pills when I was 16 Years old. I am now 18 and still taking them and they have been a MIRACLE! When I was 16, I had LOTS of small, red acne all over my face, I tried and tried and tried with many topical creams to help reduce it and make them vanish, but nothing worked. (Although Benzyl Peroxide did help my acne on my forehead, but my cheeks/chin/mouth area was still horrible). My doctor prescribed me Yaz, and it honestly was the best decision. I started noticing my pimples vanishing after the first month of taking it. The only downside about this pill for me is, I am now 18 and have horrible mood swings. I get mad at people for no reason, and cry over nothing. After 2 years, I am gonna take a break from taking it."

Dxo December 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Yaz for 2 months and started to become anxious, paranoid, and depreesed. I asked my doc to get off it and she told me to give it more time. I got off it, nevertheless, because I did not need it. My life improved dramatically over the next 6 months. I started dating again, so I decided to give the pill another shot. I started to be anxious and insecure immediately. I started believing and accusing the person I was seeing of not being into me and got upset at him over the littlest things. A week before my period I went into full anxious and depression mode. It felt like the world was ending. I also experienced severe cramps, migraines, and bled for 2 weeks. I am now off this drug for 2 days and noticed an immediate difference."

HT2283 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on it for 2 months and got extremely moody, emotional, anxious, and tired. I went to my OBGYN, and asked her if I should stop it. I was told to give it more time. I am normally a bubbly happy person, so I wasn't sure what was going on. Nevertheless, I stopped the pill because I didn't need it. After I got off it, I had the best 6 months of my life where I was happy confident. I started dating someone and went on the pill again 5 weeks ago. I started feeling insecure, anxious, paranoid and started believing and accusing him of not being into me and got mad at him at little things. I had heavy bleeding for 2 weeks straight and a week before my period I went into depression and had severe migraines. Will not take this drug ever again"

HT83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016