User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"I took Yaz for 3 days and stopped immediately after that. On the 3rd day of taking Yaz, I experienced numbness and tingling in my left arm and hand. I felt some heart palpitations, but then it stopped. On day 4, I woke up still feeling that numbness and tingling, and started to feel my heart race so quickly, I also got shortness of breath. I felt sick, so I went to my pharmacist who told me to stop the pill and see a doctor. At this point, I started to feel a little better. I went to the medical clinic and saw a doctor who checked my heart rate, which turned out to be elevated. The rest of the check up was ok, said to go to hospital if Inhave bad reactions again. So sorry that I took this pill in the first place."

Abs80 January 13, 2017

"The only reason why I am giving it 2 stars is because it did clear my acne better than any product I have ever used. I got on it after my mirena was removed 4 months ago and it's the only pill form of birth control I have ever taken. However, as soon as I am done with my red pills I will not be taking it anymore. It has made me a lunatic. I am so bipolar/emotionally unstable/depressed its not even funny!! I am destroying my relationship with my mood swings/instability. I'll be okay for a day or two and then I start feeling crazy again. I cry constantly for no reason. I'm even having nightmares almost every night. Hopefully switching to a different pill will help."

RACHAEL0627 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

"Worst mistake of my life. I was on Yaz for 3 months, my acne is worse than ever, I gained a lot of weight, my mental health has never been so bad - anxiety, depression, my self esteem is so low it's terrifying. I would not recommend this medication to anyone - but I understand everyone is different and some have had great experiences with Yaz. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Chelle Seay December 24, 2016

"I started taking Yaz BC pills when I was 16 Years old. I am now 18 and still taking them and they have been a MIRACLE! When I was 16, I had LOTS of small, red acne all over my face, I tried and tried and tried with many topical creams to help reduce it and make them vanish, but nothing worked. (Although Benzyl Peroxide did help my acne on my forehead, but my cheeks/chin/mouth area was still horrible). My doctor prescribed me Yaz, and it honestly was the best decision. I started noticing my pimples vanishing after the first month of taking it. The only downside about this pill for me is, I am now 18 and have horrible mood swings. I get mad at people for no reason, and cry over nothing. After 2 years, I am gonna take a break from taking it."

Dxo December 23, 2016

"I was on Yaz for 2 months and started to become anxious, paranoid, and depreesed. I asked my doc to get off it and she told me to give it more time. I got off it, nevertheless, because I did not need it. My life improved dramatically over the next 6 months. I started dating again, so I decided to give the pill another shot. I started to be anxious and insecure immediately. I started believing and accusing the person I was seeing of not being into me and got upset at him over the littlest things. A week before my period I went into full anxious and depression mode. It felt like the world was ending. I also experienced severe cramps, migraines, and bled for 2 weeks. I am now off this drug for 2 days and noticed an immediate difference."

HT2283 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

"I was on it for 2 months and got extremely moody, emotional, anxious, and tired. I went to my OBGYN, and asked her if I should stop it. I was told to give it more time. I am normally a bubbly happy person, so I wasn't sure what was going on. Nevertheless, I stopped the pill because I didn't need it. After I got off it, I had the best 6 months of my life where I was happy confident. I started dating someone and went on the pill again 5 weeks ago. I started feeling insecure, anxious, paranoid and started believing and accusing him of not being into me and got mad at him at little things. I had heavy bleeding for 2 weeks straight and a week before my period I went into depression and had severe migraines. Will not take this drug ever again"

HT83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

"This was the second BC I have ever taken. It was absolutely terrible. I have always had light periods (panty liner light) and no cramps. When I took this birth control I had such horrible cramps that I kept throwing up. I continued to take it, but after bleeding like a water fall for a week and a half I called my doctor. She told me that I had to finish taking it for a month or else I had the possibility of bleeding to death. So I bled the entire month. I didn't receive another period until 3 months later. Don't take this birth control"

Lady98 December 17, 2016

"I used Yaz over a year. After a while I started to get random sudden pains in my arms and legs. Once my finger got clogged. I could even see blue spot under skin and my fingertip went white and numb. But luckily it went away. But the worst was my knees started to hurt a lot, doctors didn´t know why. I coulnd´t bend my knees or walk without pain. It lasted about two months. And then I assumed it was because of the pills. I quit Yaz and after some time pain was gone, also I haven´t had any random pain attack in my arms or legs. Quality of life improved dramatically. Haven´t had courage to use any birth control pill after that."

Nelly123 December 13, 2016

"I've been on yaz for about 8 years. Used to love it. Only use it to control my period and symptoms from PCOS. I'm 38 with no kids (don't want any...crazy busy correctional nurse!) And a part time smoker. I've had quite a bit of spotting especially after intercourse which is actually active bleeding. My mood is quite crazy too lately. My gyno wants me to try this IUD but I refuse. I'm scared to go off this pill now. Anyone with these issues? I'm tempting to get a hysterectomy or partial....suggestions?"

Lacang December 8, 2016

"Switched from my old BC to yaz and immediately felt a difference the first few days I was SO emotional. VERY significantly so. By the end of the first week I was full on depressed and it continued on to the second week. Everything triggered me. :( but I like the sticker on the top with the days."

Ggchen December 4, 2016

"I first took Yaz when I was 17. It was my first time taking birth control so I didn't know what to expect, but it was HORRIBLE. Everyday I took Yaz I fell sick with nausea and couldn't do much of anything without the fear of throwing up. Finally, when my symptoms obviously were not going away, mom called my doctor and told them that I needed something else. They then prescribed me Loryna. I never had any problems with it, and I've been taking it for three years. Unfortunately, due to a change in my insurance, I had to stop taking Loryna because it wouldn't be covered anymore. So today, I found a package on my doorstep, and inside was Yaz. I'm too terrified to start taking it again, so I need to talk to my doctor as soon as I get the chance."

Lorelei95 December 4, 2016

"I'm a 26 yrs old who took yaz for only 3 months. At first, it seemed to work just fine.. no side effects and it even helped improving my pms. Shockingly, i got massive iliofemoral deep venous thrombosis after only 3 months!!!! Now i have completely clogged major veins in one limb and bed ridden at the age of 26, bearing in mind that i'm a healthy fit person without any underlying cause of thrombosis. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anybody."

M.k (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

"Very very horrible. Made me gain so much of weight. And kinda messed everything up as well, period was late for two weeks and barely bleed when I did get my period. A lot of water retention and bloating. So much for less side effects."

Vandrossflower (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

"Yaz is the WORST birth control I have ever been on!! Other birth controls would stop my period for like a month but then everything would straighten out and my period would be perfectly regular. I've been on Yaz for 4 or 5 months now, taking it at the same time every day and I never know when I'm gonna have my period or how long it's gonna be. I've been having a period every other week! That is not right!!! Also one period lasted 15 days. This is unacceptable. I am done taking Yaz. Will not recommend to anyone, ever."

Gabby32697 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

"The best contraceptive pill i have been on. I fell pregnant immediately after stopping yaz. It controlled my pms symptoms migraines , acne weight the works. The only pill that has all the benefits. I tried others & got bad reactions. This is the best of the best."

Annabellz (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2016

"I switched off my old birth control because insurance didn't cover it and $80/mo just became too much to handle. My doctor recommended yaz despite the fact my old birth control was completely different hormonally while I didn't gain any weight on yaz I did feel bloated and retained water for the whole week before my period and then the week of my period as well. I was anxious and short tempered I even became violent towards my husband for absolutely no reason. It wasn't until this began that I knew I had to change something I couldnt live like this this is not me at all. I couldnt believe how moody I felt and how it felt like my insides were fighting every time anything would happen. I havent given my new birth control enough time but we'll see"

AO2016 November 21, 2016

"I switched to this from Junel Fe because I was hoping to help my acne and weight gain (gained 10 pounds on Junel). I only took the pill for five days but had to leave work early two days and went straight to bed by 6pm every night due to a severe headache and overall feeling of lethargy and dizziness. I felt short of breath by day two and it remained until I quit taking the pill. I also had extreme anxiety. I got severe allergy type symptoms by day two and felt feverish. I stopped taking Yaz yesterday and already feel better. No headache today, no feverish feeling, no anxiety. still congested but no feeling short of breath anymore. I also noticed that I gained 2 pounds in the week I was on Yaz. Yikes! I have not changed my diet at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

"I was prescribed Yaz at 14 and I didn't mind it. Now that Im older and more educated on birth control I decided to get an IUD thats hormone free (Paragard) I love it much more than Yaz and I dont have to worry about side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

"Girls, it really depends on your body type and how you process the hormones intake I am using yaz, and its my first time of ever using birth controll pills, and when i read the reviews here it made me scared and unsecure . why? Because of all the *NEVER TAKE THIS PILL * * IT DOESNT WORK * * IT IS HORRIBLE* comments. You never know how it is going to work for someone else .. in my experience yaz has been great since the beginning : no cramps , no pms , no headache , no nausea ( use it before you sleep or in a full stomach ) , nothing except for a little bloating in the first week and breast tenderness. hope it works for you too"

mei123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2016

"iIve been using yaz pills for 1 yr and 4months as birth control pills and I am 26 yrs old now and my ob from tmc recommend this pills. Additional from yaz it does wonder for me I stay look young because of my skin , everybody says I'm always blooming . they ask me if I'm taking glutathione .hehe but not."

gjci October 31, 2016

"I've been on this for almost two months now and in my short experience it has done wonders. My old periods would cause severe cramps, nausea, vomiting, periods lasting up to 16 days, and horrible mood swings. For roughly the two weeks around my period I was so sad and honestly thought there was something wrong with me. But now my periods (so far) are short, almost painless, and no vomiting. My mood swings have toned down so much I forgot what it was like to be this calm. The only issue I find is I have gained fat (but not weight??) as I've eaten more so that really is my own fault. And I have very tender, dense, sore breasts that I can't sleep on my stomach anymore. But this definitely isn't as bad as how I used to be so very good!"

DJade1 October 29, 2016

"After dealing with bad acne, my dr. recommended Yaz. Since I started, I was spotting for days at a time randomly in the middle of my cycle. I read the packaging and it said this was normal for the first 1-3 months. However, 6 months later I am still experiencing spotting, extreme depression and anxiety, lack of motivation, acne, breast tenderness for 3 weeks of the month, and chest pain and shortness of breath. My periods would last so long and be extremely painful, when they used to be light and easy to deal with. I'm about to finish my last pack of this drug and switch to another birth control pill I had no problems with in the past and be done with Yaz for good."

gocubsgo27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

"Yaz is the only birth control that has ever worked for me, I am 25 and have been on it since I was 16. Throughout that time i have tried multiple other options including the generic. All failed miserably. Yaz is not covered by my insurance and i still pay the full cost every month because it works so well for me."

Anonymous September 30, 2016

"I was put on yaz about 5 weeks ago.at first I had no side effects.after I started the second set I started bleeding.it has been ongoing for 10 days now and all I wanna do is cry.I have no energy.and it did not help with straightening out my period like the doctor said it would.I stopped taking it and I feel better just gotta figure out y I'm still bleeding.the doctor said I was primenaposal. I seriously doubt birth control can help with that.I'm ready for second opinion.I will never take yaz ever again.plus the pain was 10 times worse."

mommieof3 September 24, 2016

"im using yaz 2 years now and its so effective for me i try many other pills but the side efffects is it takes a bad to my health but when i take yaz my i have no acne ang it lightens my skin. Can i use yaz as a whitening pills? Thanks"

Caye (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2016