User Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

Yaz has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 427 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 35% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Yaz Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz

Ryry May 5, 2020

“I actually sought out user reviews to see if anyone else was benefiting as much as I am from this medication. I have bounced between Yaz and Lo lo esterin since I was 14 or 15. I am 22 now. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yaz besides the spotting. The spotting can be annoying and as a teenager I became anemic because of it. However, at 22 years old and with a much healthier diet, Yaz has been absolutely amazing. Lo lo esterin made me quite angry/have mood swings and would make me lose my breast tissue if I lost weight. On Yaz, my boobs have stayed despite dropping 15 lbs while taking it. I don't have angry mood swings when I take Yaz. My skin gets insanely clear when I take Yaz. My hair grows faster and thicker when I take Yaz (compared to Lo lo esterin). My sex drive is extremely high when I am on Yaz. I actually experience a lower sex drive when taking Loloesterin.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2020

“I've been on Yaz for 7 years starting when I went to college. I had been struggling with acne and excess hair. My periods at this time were a good 8 days of bleeding. When I started taking Yaz... nothing negative happened. My acne slowly got better and my body hair decreased. My periods also decreased to around 5 days and were generally less crampy and I lost less blood. Literally no bad side effects. You can also skip or move your periods if you are going on vacation. The only reason I'm looking into switching to an IUD is because its less work than taking a pill everyday. A lot of these reviews are bad because of selection bias. I'm sure there are tons of stories like mine but because they are so mundane, people don't share them.”

lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

“Honestly I was quite scared to start taking the birth control pill for the first time after reading so many bad reviews and hearing all these horror stories about it. But I have to say although I've only been on it for 2 months I've had almost no side effects at all. Only on the first few days I was a bit nauseas and my breasts were tender but besides that its been smooth sailing. No emotional changes, no weight gain, nothing. So don't let bad reviews about it get to you and give it a try, everybody has a different reaction to it.”

... February 27, 2020

“Please be careful with this pill it has ruined my life I was on it for just over a week and it has caused me to have a psychotic break I have never had issues with mental health just a little anxiety but nothing I needed help for it’s just common things like crowds did I say the wrong thing in that conversation a so on but now I am having intrusive thoughts more panic attacks then I can count and I am the lowest I have ever felt In my life I have gone from a happy loving person looking forward to her wedding in 10 weeks to someone who doesn’t even know who I am anymore PLEAE BE CAREFUL!!! ”

bellavera August 16, 2009

“I just want to say thank you to all those who took time to write positive things about Yaz. I did a lot of research before taking the pill and frankly, it scared me. So many complaints and horror stories. The most important things to remember is that we all react to substances/hormones in different ways. I'm 35 and haven't taken the pill since I was 20. I am on my 4th pack of Yaz and am very pleased. I had a little spotting in the first two months and stomach discomfort, especially when I forget a pill. Aside from that, I've lost weight and stay slim even when not active, my breasts have gone up a full size which I love. My sex drive is fine, if not greater, no change in moods. Good luck to all.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“I’ve taken this Yaz pill for about 2 months and I’m going off of it now. The anxiety and depression that came with this were not worth it. Sometimes, it came at the end of the pack, but I had terrible emotional problems all month long. I would cry for no reason, have multiple panic attacks a day, and have way too many self deprecating thoughts. I’ve never had problems with periods before (no mood swings, cramps, bloating) but after starting this, I’ve experienced all of those. It’s been difficult to find a birth control pill that doesn’t come with emotional problems warranting antidepressants. I don’t know if I’ll ever find one.”

Vic · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

“I’m 25, haven’t had an actual period in years (was on an IUD called Mirena). It was working fantastic for 7 years then came the expiration date. My desire to search for a new method of birth control begin. Considering how long I’d been on the IUD I figured let’s try something new. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE, it has been HORRIBLE finding a birth control that would fit my body & Yaz was NO exception. I have been taking the pill for two months. Side effects came gradually, things you’d assume: breast tenderness, cramping, bloating, lower back sensitivity. But there was something much more sinister bubbling up, so slowly I didn’t even notice, until I became a completely different woman. I have never been more depressed. Low energy, irritability, general feeling of discomfort, hopelessness, EMOTIONAL, crying all the time. Do your research but based off my experience RUN.”

klar$ · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2020

“Seriously beware of this birth control. I was on Yaz for about two years and the negative side effects of this pill are never-ending. This birth control caused me to go into a deep depression for the entire duration I was on it. I was on and off anti-depressants trying to combat the negative effects and ultimately got to the point where I was completely anti-social and so anxious/depressed that I was skin and bones. It even got to the point where I was having suicidal thoughts on a regular basis. Once my doctor determined these all may have been side-effects of Yaz (not sure why it took so long for my doctor to realize this, but that's another conversation), I stopped taking it and within 24 hours nearly all of the negative side-effects were gone. Crazy! Long story short, this birth control literally ruined my life for two years. I highly recommend avoiding this unless there is some specific circumstance that causes this birth control to be your only option.”

kaylamooress July 16, 2013

“I have been on Yaz for 3 and a half years, and I have not had any issues. I have regular periods, I have no weird side effects. I fluctuate in weight by 5 pounds now off and on. I read all of the scary lawsuits against Yaz, talked to my doctors and the lawsuits failed to mention the other issues that girls had other then just the common factor that they were taking Yaz. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED OF IT. I was and its a stress you don't need. I have been fine, and many others have too.”

mei123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2016

“Girls, it really depends on your body type and how you process the hormones intake I am using yaz, and its my first time of ever using birth controll pills, and when i read the reviews here it made me scared and unsecure . why? Because of all the *NEVER TAKE THIS PILL * * IT DOESNT WORK * * IT IS HORRIBLE* comments. You never know how it is going to work for someone else .. in my experience yaz has been great since the beginning : no cramps , no pms , no headache , no nausea ( use it before you sleep or in a full stomach ) , nothing except for a little bloating in the first week and breast tenderness. hope it works for you too”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2020

“I have been on Yaz for 2 weeks and it completely changed my mood. I went on it to clear up my cystic acne due to my period. My skin has cleared up but my mental health has severely deteriorated. I am extremely emotional and angry and have random outbursts which I have never experienced before. I do not even recognize myself and I am stopping this pill immediately.”

Giselle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

“I have been taking Yaz for about a year now. My skin has cleared and my periods often skip for months at a time and when they do come they are just spotting (I wanted to take Yaz to regulate my period). Over the past 6 months near the end of my packet has been something I dread, I become very emotional and depressed. I often have a hard time getting out of bed, feeling unmotivated, and have many self-deprecating thoughts. It honestly scares me. When I am not nearing the end of my pack I am myself, bubbly and energetic, and constantly moving. I will be looking for a replacement and want anyone thinking about taking Yaz to be aware of any mood changes. While there are some positive replies here, there are many negative ones and make sure you are using something that is truly benefitting you more than hurting you. Wishing everyone the best!”

JB3198 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2013

“I've been experimenting with different brands of birth control for 15 years. I took every pill under the sun, including the shot but always suffered terrible side effects from nausea and vomiting, to crazy mood swings, depression, anxiety and weight gain. Yaz is the ONLY pill I've been able to tolerate. I have very minimal side effects (some breast tenderness, occasional spotting). My skin looks great, I have more energy, I haven't gained a single pound, my periods are light, I still have a sex drive, and my emotions are not all over the place. I get that everyone is different and what works for some may be a nightmare for others, but if you've not been able to tolerate any other brands I'd give Yaz a try.”

Anonymous May 14, 2009

“I've been taking Yaz for 3 months now and I absolutely love it. I've lost weight, without trying, and my periods have greatly decreased in heaviness and severity. I have not experienced any of the bad side effects like depression or tiredness, I wake up happy and ready to go. The only difference I've noticed that is not so great is that the first day of taking the placebo pill I tend to be emotional, but that usually clears up by the second day. Also, if I miss a pill I usually have stomach pain until I take it, which is actually a nice reminder to take it. I love Yaz though and cannot say enough good things about it.”

sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“I started using Yaz to treat my PCOS and excess facial hair growth. I always felt depressed but I kind of dealt with it, it wasn't that bad until I started taking this pill. First, I was crying every night for no reason, I had terrible headaches (something that never happened to me before ) and my anxiety and depression are at its highest, I'm having really dasrk thoughts, and I'm so scared because I think I will hurt myself or my family. And don't get me started on obsessive thoughts, they make me hate myself. Do not take this pill for any reason!”

Rosa · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2021

“I am still on my first month of Yaz (day 20) but as the changes to better are so obvious I want to share my experience. Before Yaz I ate Diane 35 for PCOS symptoms for couple of years. I got so used to being moody and never knowing if the next day would be ok or filled with unexplained anxiety, crying and in general just annoyed about everything . I had started to feel that I am just a difficult moody person and I was looking to seek psychological help, as my moodiness started to negatively affect my relationship as well. Due to the high blood clot risks of Diane I decided to change the pill to Yaz. Within the first week of Yaz I felt that a cloud had been lifted from top of my head and I could see the positive sides of life again. I don't remember if I've been this calm and able to enjoy life during the time of taking Diane. I had some nausea, fatigue and stomach problems during the first days, but the positive effects on my mental state make all those side effects insignificant”

Tenci · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2021

“In the beginning the pill was just fine, couldn’t be more happy with it - cleared up my acne, basically had no side effects apart from bloating within the first month. 6 months in I started getting crazy mood swings, happiest person alive to the saddest girl on earth. Some of my friends and family brought it up, I was so down most of the time in the last 2 months that whenever I was energetic and happy I’ve been asked whether I consumed drugs to increase my mood. Mind you I was never depressed prior to taking this pill. I am 7 months in now and I will either stop birth control completely or swap to a new pill. I rate it a 6/10. It did prevent me from getting pregnant. It did clear up my skin. It helped control my periods and completely got rid of the cramps. All things considered, I virtually had no side effects. However, it made me feel miserable on too many occassions.”

geegeekate June 7, 2017

“I was on Yaz for about 6 months. A couple weeks ago I was finding it hard to breathe and having chest pains. To my complete surprise, doctors found I had multiple blood clots in both my lungs blocking almost my entire airway and admitted me into hospital straight away. I am a healthy 23 year old and doctors said they have never seen a PE (Pulmonary Embolism) as bad as mine. Tests came back confirming that the clots were caused from my YAZ pill. They told me that had I waited a couple more days I could have dropped down dead without any warning. Very scary to know the pill can cause this much damage to the body, I don't know how they are still producing and selling this pill. After my near death experience, I will NEVER recommend this pill”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2020

“I was nervous starting Yaz for my Endometriosis because of reviews I had read and my bad experiences with birth control when I was a teenager. During the first couple weeks, I was very emotional- cried every day. After that, my emotions were more regular. I had very little appetite, I lost over 10 pounds in a month. My skin didn't change much. I would have stayed on Yaz because I didn't have any of the pain or symptoms that usually come with my period, but I started spotting about a month in and I have been bleeding ever since. I start Yasmin this week and I am very nervous for the transition.”

Sam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 4, 2020

“I’ve been on this birth control for about eight months and I believe my acne is a lot clearer. It does make me quite emotional for no reason sometimes and when I get my period I get painful cramps which I’ve never had before. I’ve also seemed to gain weight and dislike myself. But my boobs did go up a few sizes.”

Anonymous June 15, 2009

“I'm 32 and never took any birth control pills. I was on the fence taking Yaz due to negative responses. I love this birth control and glad I took it. I only experienced light bleeding during the 1st month of taking pill. When I finished the 1st pack the bleeding stopped. I noticed I was emotional when I took the first placebo pill but when I took the 2nd I was back to normal. My doctor put me on the pill due to irregular periods and when they came on they would be extremely heavy. I missed work some days due to this. Well when I got my period with taking Yaz it came on when taking the placebo pills and was light, NO CRAMPS, very short. My skin looks great, I wake up happy as can be, no emotional issues, sex drive up.”

Casiii January 12, 2020

“I've only been on this for a few days so I don't have much to say about it but all I can say I suffer from depression and anxiety and was on another brand of birth control and felt so so depressed it made it so much worse, my gyno switched me to this one and in the matter of only 3 days of taking it. I can say I feel happier than I normally did without any type of bc. My bloating also stopped after switching to this one, other one I was taking I just felt heavy, depressed, tired. Only thing that's I've noticed about this one so far is my breast are a little bigger, but I cant complain about that because I love that! ”

Lil · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

“Was prescribed YAZ to regulate my period and control acne. From day one I turned into a different person - crazy mood swings, fits of anger and rage that had me so mad at my boyfriend extreme depression that left me crying all night, no energy, and I had anxiety attacks that basically paralyzed me on the floor unable to open up hands. So basically, the worst 18 days of my life. Cold turkey stop, despite the dr telling me to finish the pack. Sorry, I value my sanity, job and relationship way too much. Only positive - cleared up my hormonal acne. Not even close to worth it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

“This Yaz pill was effective in that it prevented pregnancy, but that’s where the pros end. This pill caused me to have major depressed mood, leading to suicidal thoughts and constant leg cramping that sent me to the ER.”

JOKIE · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

“This birth control pill Yaz has made not recognise who I am. I was such a fun, outgoing, loveable person. I've been taking it for two months now and it has almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend. These past two months, I have cried, been annoyed (at anything) and lashing out at everyone around me. It has made me feel like I have no control over my body or my personality, I was once so proud of. I started taking it just to regulate my period and all it has done is make me feel like garbage about my (usually confident) self, deleted my sex drive, made me aggressive, given ME 2 UTI's and dampen my mood completely.”