User Reviews for Yaz

Yaz Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"Yaz is my 5th pill I have tried as a form of contraception & I have been really happy with it, I have more energy, I don't get bad mood swings in comparison to the others I've tried, my nails are longer & stronger, I am now losing weight before hand I found it hard to even though I was eating well & going to gym. However, the sugar pills (period ones) lower my appetite & if I eat too much I get really stomach cramps & last night I got bad constipation. My period is so much lighter though & I haven't ever had bad skin but it's still the same which is good. I personally rather have cramps than to argue & cry to anyone who is close to me, I got so scared sometimes on the other pills & thought that my boyfriend & I were going to break up as I'd get mad or sad at him for no reason. Yaz is my favourite & I won't be switching any time soon"

Sophie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

"Con: Yaz has mimicked my pregnancy symptoms completely. From the nausea, to the bloat, the super sore breasts, to the dark spots on my face Pro: It made my periods super manageable, light and pretty painless. So you get the one week of not feeling terrible and the rest of the month feeling awful."

Hillary May 6, 2018

"I was prescribed Yaz 2.5 years ago to help treat my PMDD and help clear my acne. For the first year I found Yaz great. I no longer got PMS symptoms, my periods were lighter, my skin was the clearest it's ever been in my life. I didn't experience any weight gain either. However, these past 12 months I have noticed a drastic change in my mood. I became depressed, suffering extreme anxiety, and lost complete motivation and passion for life. I cry easily, I feel helpless, I have less self esteem, I feel more nervous around people, I'm constantly tired and lacking energy. I used to go to the gym 7 days a week but now I can't even force myself to leave the house. I'm completely opposite to the person I was when I wasn't taking the pill. I experience constant yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. I decided to stop taking Yaz and am hoping I will go back to being the person I was before I used this pill. Please please do your research before taking this pill!!"

Taylor April 18, 2018

"I have horrible headaches everyday. Extreme moodiness & sometimes it doesn’t give me my period. It makes me cramp horribly and stay in pain everyday. I’m giving it a 3/10 because it did clear my face up a lot. This birth control constantly has me stressed out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2018

"I switched to yaz after trying traditional pills that caused me to break out in acne because of the increase in male androgen hormones. Yaz helped my skin but gave me terrible migraines so I had to stop it."

Lpb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

"I’ve been taking yaz for a few months now and each month my anxiety, depression and dependence on my bf has gotten worst. I thought I was just being a psycho until I read these reviews. Like I’d get so jealous and tell him off and I couldn’t figure out why because I’m usually not this person. I’m very easygoing and he’s trustworthy. Don’t do it. Find another birth control. I’m done taking this as of today."

BB8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

"I've been on Yaz for 6 years now and I cannot relate to most of the posts on here. I've had a great experience with it. My skin is clear, my hair growth reduced and I have not gotten pregnant - yay! Moodiness is here and there but I had that before the pill, we're hormonal after all! Great birth control overall, I would recommend."

Pp (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2018

"PLEASE DO NOT TAKE YAZ! After 4/5 days I had a huge emotional break down. I hadn’t cried that hard in months. It was not something to get so worked up about. 2 days later I had one of the worse panic attacks I’ve ever experienced. It was absolutely terrorizing. Why the hell is this drug even available? Those are the just the extreme side effects. Please don’t risk your life! I’m also worried I could have a blood clot due to medicine."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I was 17 when I was prescribed Yaz, primarily as a birth control but also to clear up my skin. I was only on it for 11 days and had to stop taking it because I would wake up with really large pimples under my skin, causing pain and very low self esteem. It made my skin much worse when it was intended to clear it up. I was crying because of how painful my face had become. I had my first panic attack and would often become overly emotional and unstable, lashing out at my partner out of random (which was very out of character for me). I saw other reviews which said that Yaz had caused meltdowns and panic attacks, and I thought it would not happen to me. I was so wrong. Although I did not get pregnant, I would not recommend Yaz at all."

rammsteiner (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018

"I’ve been taking yaz for over a year now and recently switched to the generic version, Gianvi. After reading all these reviews about yaz, I’ve been putting pieces together and it feels like everything makes sense now. I haven’t had an actual period in a year, about a few months after I started yaz. I also get a lot of mood swings and irritability. I get feelings of extreme jealously and anger over small things with my boyfriend that I normally wouldn’t care about. The only upside of this pill that I’ve experienced is super clear skin (I haven’t broken out in nearly a year), no pregnancy, and no extreme weight gain."

Yaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2018

"So far, so good! I've been on this pill for about three months now and the only side effects I had was nausea within the first few weeks of taking the pill and increase in boob size (not complaining). I previously struggled with weight gain with other brands of the pill as well as heart palpitations, mood swings and severe bloating. My skin has never looked better on Yaz, too!! People have said it's glowing. I loooove Yaz!"

laurs77 February 3, 2018

"This is my first month on Yaz and the first 2 weeks were horrible. I got REALLY nauseous everyday at the same time, but now I feel really good. I don’t feel as irritated or annoyed as usual and I haven’t gained weight which I was worried about. If it’s your first month beware drinking on Yaz and you feel like rubbish when you drink but just push through it because it gets better."

Yazmataz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

"Please, please do not take this drug. Do extensive research on the side effects of this drug. It is not safe and causes many complex emotional feelings. Please don't take it!"

Amy Margarett January 12, 2018

"I would NEVER recommend this birth control to anyone! Although it did help prevent pregnancy, after not even a year of being on it, I began to experience heart palpitations and moments of feeling as if my heart paused and stopped for brief seconds throughout the day. I had to be admitted to the hospital because they found out I have a 2nd degree heart block and are now having to consider putting in a pacemaker. I am a healthy, active, 23 year old with no significant medical history or family history. Never again will I EVER take this BC. This is an awful feeling."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2018

"My personal experience was awful. Had major mood swings , abusive towards people I care about. First I thought it was me and was finding reasons for my behaviour. Of course I happened to breakup with boyfriend so I stopped taking it and after 3-4 days was completely normal self. Than I read all these reviews and found out same experiences happened to others."

RYR December 25, 2017

"Hi, I have been on Yaz for five months and I have suffered really bad with chest pain, mood swings, anxiety, really dark thoughts , feeling of ugliness, no concentration, bad sleep, feeling that I was pregnant , no periods at all. I thought I was losing my mind . This has an a significant effect on my life, partner and my children. There is so much info on the net about how bad this pill is and badly affect moods. One thing all feedback that has had similar experiences to mine, is that after a few weeks your body gets back to normal . My GP didn't tell me the side effects , told me to read up on it - this is my part of this - had I read about this - and made an educated choice - I just wanted better skin ."

Cactus jack88 December 23, 2017

"I was not excited about starting this pill because of previous hormone sensitivity, but my OBGYN recommended it for irregular bleeding that started after I got my IUD removed. It completely altered my mood which I ended up ruining my 3yr relationship and threw me into a deep depression. I would sit on the couch under a blanket crying for hours and not leave the house (which is totally not like me). I was on it for about 6 months before getting off. It was like the fog had cleared and I looked back and was like what happened. But upside it got my period back to normal so far, just sadly had the worst 6 month I've had in a while."

Pineappleupsidedown (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"Its important to remember that everyone will respond to birth controls differently. I have been on several birth controls and for me, this is the ONLY one that does not cause any side effects. I have been taking this for 10 years now and my period is light, only 3 days. I would not stop taking it just for the benefits of having a short period and being able to skip my period every other month. I have tried generics of YAZ and they affected me very badly, I only take the name brand. I know everyone says generic is the same but I had very real changes in my body every time I tried a generic."

ambear (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"I was on Yaz for less than 1 year. I developed blood clots in both of my lungs and was in the hospital for 7 days. I was part of the Bayer/Yaz settlement. Thousands of women developed blood clots from this birth control. Why is it still on the shelves????!!!!!"

Moonbeem December 14, 2017

"My bleeding is way way heavier but my cramps way lighter. I'm spotting nonstop right now. Hopefully my cycle will rework itself in month two"

Dinglehoppertwelvetwenty (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"The smell of food makes me immediately nauseous but I haven't allowed it to let me puke. I never get headaches unless I have the flu but my head constantly hurts. I've only been on Yaz for a week now and these symptoms started on day 2 and haven't gotten any better. I constantly feel unmotivated sluggish and dehydrated. I have not had my period at all and missed my last one. Most likely going to switch to a different drug. Also taking it to help with acne. It got really bad before it got better somewhat. My skin looked way better before I had taken anything."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

"Started taking this pill for hair loss because I had high testosterone and was told a pill with a low-androgen complex would help, and it did at first. But last month my hair loss was severe. My mood swings were CRAZY. Tried to ignore them, thinking to myself, well I’m in control etc, but I completely lost control. Lashed out at my boyfriend for no reason at all several times. I’ve been really down, extremely irritable, everything bothers me. It’s came to the point where I was starting to wonder whether I’m mentally ill. I’ve been off it for just 2 days and am already feeling like my normal self again. This was not the right pill for me—although I didn’t gain any weight or had other side effects the mood swings I experienced were SHOCKING."

suarsuar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

"I was on this pill for 3 weeks to bring my hirtutism under control. Whilst on this pill I constantly bled, had acne (I never get acne), and my migraines were the worst I’ve ever had them and I’m a chronic migraine sufferer - it came back all day every day for 5 days. I ended up just getting off them!"

Jazzy873 November 14, 2017

"I’ve been on Yaz for almost 2 months and I hate it, I have heightened smell, I’ve actually thrown up due to it. I’m noticing my mood swings are going from 0-10 really quick, my poor boyfriend has also noticed. I’ve broken out so badly with acne and I’ve ALSO been spotting now for almost 2 weeks now becoming heavier bleeding and cramps. Going to switch pills as I feel disgusting, and can’t even be intimate with my dang birth control so, yaz has been a huge waste of time for this girl."

Saleena (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2017

"I’m almost done with my second month of Yaz and it has been really tough. I was put on birth control for PCOS as a way to regulate my hormones and period. Both months about three weeks into the pack I get headaches, nausea, upper stomach cramps, exhaustion, throwing up, extremely sensitive breasts, horrible uterine cramps, sporadic facial hair growth (I have facial hair due to PCOS and I was hoping yaz would reduce it but it seems to make it grow faster during certain times of the month), and a terrible liquid yellow diarrhea (tmi I know). I’m trying to stick it out but honestly I don’t even know if this pill is helping with my hormone but we’ll see."

SChristineM October 13, 2017