User Reviews for Yaz

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 266 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"So far, so good! I've been on this pill for about three months now and the only side effects I had was nausea within the first few weeks of taking the pill and increase in boob size (not complaining). I previously struggled with weight gain with other brands of the pill as well as heart palpitations, mood swings and severe bloating. My skin has never looked better on Yaz, too!! People have said it's glowing. I loooove Yaz!"

laurs77 February 3, 2018

"This is my first month on Yaz and the first 2 weeks were horrible. I got REALLY nauseous everyday at the same time, but now I feel really good. I don’t feel as irritated or annoyed as usual and I haven’t gained weight which I was worried about. If it’s your first month beware drinking on Yaz and you feel like rubbish when you drink but just push through it because it gets better."

Yazmataz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

"Please, please do not take this drug. Do extensive research on the side effects of this drug. It is not safe and causes many complex emotional feelings. Please don't take it!"

Amy Margarett January 12, 2018

"I would NEVER recommend this birth control to anyone! Although it did help prevent pregnancy, after not even a year of being on it, I began to experience heart palpitations and moments of feeling as if my heart paused and stopped for brief seconds throughout the day. I had to be admitted to the hospital because they found out I have a 2nd degree heart block and are now having to consider putting in a pacemaker. I am a healthy, active, 23 year old with no significant medical history or family history. Never again will I EVER take this BC. This is an awful feeling."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2018

"My personal experience was awful. Had major mood swings , abusive towards people I care about. First I thought it was me and was finding reasons for my behaviour. Of course I happened to breakup with boyfriend so I stopped taking it and after 3-4 days was completely normal self. Than I read all these reviews and found out same experiences happened to others."

RYR December 25, 2017

"Hi, I have been on Yaz for five months and I have suffered really bad with chest pain, mood swings, anxiety, really dark thoughts , feeling of ugliness, no concentration, bad sleep, feeling that I was pregnant , no periods at all. I thought I was losing my mind . This has an a significant effect on my life, partner and my children. There is so much info on the net about how bad this pill is and badly affect moods. One thing all feedback that has had similar experiences to mine, is that after a few weeks your body gets back to normal . My GP didn't tell me the side effects , told me to read up on it - this is my part of this - had I read about this - and made an educated choice - I just wanted better skin ."

Cactus jack88 December 23, 2017

"I was not excited about starting this pill because of previous hormone sensitivity, but my OBGYN recommended it for irregular bleeding that started after I got my IUD removed. It completely altered my mood which I ended up ruining my 3yr relationship and threw me into a deep depression. I would sit on the couch under a blanket crying for hours and not leave the house (which is totally not like me). I was on it for about 6 months before getting off. It was like the fog had cleared and I looked back and was like what happened. But upside it got my period back to normal so far, just sadly had the worst 6 month I've had in a while."

Pineappleupsidedown (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"Its important to remember that everyone will respond to birth controls differently. I have been on several birth controls and for me, this is the ONLY one that does not cause any side effects. I have been taking this for 10 years now and my period is light, only 3 days. I would not stop taking it just for the benefits of having a short period and being able to skip my period every other month. I have tried generics of YAZ and they affected me very badly, I only take the name brand. I know everyone says generic is the same but I had very real changes in my body every time I tried a generic."

ambear (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"I was on Yaz for less than 1 year. I developed blood clots in both of my lungs and was in the hospital for 7 days. I was part of the Bayer/Yaz settlement. Thousands of women developed blood clots from this birth control. Why is it still on the shelves????!!!!!"

Moonbeem December 14, 2017

"My bleeding is way way heavier but my cramps way lighter. I'm spotting nonstop right now. Hopefully my cycle will rework itself in month two"

Dinglehoppertwelvetwenty (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"The smell of food makes me immediately nauseous but I haven't allowed it to let me puke. I never get headaches unless I have the flu but my head constantly hurts. I've only been on Yaz for a week now and these symptoms started on day 2 and haven't gotten any better. I constantly feel unmotivated sluggish and dehydrated. I have not had my period at all and missed my last one. Most likely going to switch to a different drug. Also taking it to help with acne. It got really bad before it got better somewhat. My skin looked way better before I had taken anything."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

"Started taking this pill for hair loss because I had high testosterone and was told a pill with a low-androgen complex would help, and it did at first. But last month my hair loss was severe. My mood swings were CRAZY. Tried to ignore them, thinking to myself, well I’m in control etc, but I completely lost control. Lashed out at my boyfriend for no reason at all several times. I’ve been really down, extremely irritable, everything bothers me. It’s came to the point where I was starting to wonder whether I’m mentally ill. I’ve been off it for just 2 days and am already feeling like my normal self again. This was not the right pill for me—although I didn’t gain any weight or had other side effects the mood swings I experienced were SHOCKING."

suarsuar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

"I was on this pill for 3 weeks to bring my hirtutism under control. Whilst on this pill I constantly bled, had acne (I never get acne), and my migraines were the worst I’ve ever had them and I’m a chronic migraine sufferer - it came back all day every day for 5 days. I ended up just getting off them!"

Jazzy873 November 14, 2017

"I’ve been on Yaz for almost 2 months and I hate it, I have heightened smell, I’ve actually thrown up due to it. I’m noticing my mood swings are going from 0-10 really quick, my poor boyfriend has also noticed. I’ve broken out so badly with acne and I’ve ALSO been spotting now for almost 2 weeks now becoming heavier bleeding and cramps. Going to switch pills as I feel disgusting, and can’t even be intimate with my dang birth control so, yaz has been a huge waste of time for this girl."

Saleena (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2017

"I’m almost done with my second month of Yaz and it has been really tough. I was put on birth control for PCOS as a way to regulate my hormones and period. Both months about three weeks into the pack I get headaches, nausea, upper stomach cramps, exhaustion, throwing up, extremely sensitive breasts, horrible uterine cramps, sporadic facial hair growth (I have facial hair due to PCOS and I was hoping yaz would reduce it but it seems to make it grow faster during certain times of the month), and a terrible liquid yellow diarrhea (tmi I know). I’m trying to stick it out but honestly I don’t even know if this pill is helping with my hormone but we’ll see."

SChristineM October 13, 2017

"I started taking YAZ two months into my marriage, and I’m on my third month now. Although I was completely fine the first two months, I’m on Day 7 of the third pack and my mood swings this month have been horrible. I’m crying about every little thing. I even think I’m crazy during my mood swings. I tried on a pair of pants today that did not fit, although my food intake hasn’t changed. Also, after reading other people’s reviews I realized that I’ve gotten dark blue veins all over my legs recently, I just never linked them to the pills. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be on YAZ to be honest, but this probably will be my last month."

Altaf T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

"I'm not pregnant, my skin is clear, my period is lighter/shorter, my cramps are gone, and I lost weight!!!! I tried four other birth controls before this one and I hated all of them because of the side effects, but this is amazing."

woolsocks (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

"I have taken Yaz a little bit more than a month. I got bad chest pain every night and it hurt when I was breathing. This side effect was unacceptable so I decided to stop it after I talked about it to my gynecologist. I also have discovered that I am very sensitive to hormones so the dosage was too high for me."

crazyhormones3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2017

"I had paragard for 3 years before switching to YAZ. Paragard was the worst thing I had ever put my body through and I DO NOT recommend it. Anyway, with the Yaz the first 1-2 months I was exhausted, dizzy, nauseous, sense of smell and taste were heightened, almost felt like early pregnancy signs. I decided to stick it out for the full 3 months to let my body adjust and I don't regret it! My acne is gone, my periods are light with mild cramping only lasting 5 days at the most, I had severe PMDD before going on Yaz and now I still get emotional of course but it's helped control my severe mood swings so much. Yaz has done everything my doctor told me it would do for me and more! PS- I did not gain weight on this pill"

Kfula (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

"My first experience with YAZ (10 yrs ago) was good - it helped with my skin and didn't notice any major side effects. After a few years, I went off of all BC - I was single and they're expensive, etc. About a year ago, I decided to go back on BC and chose YAZ again. I'm normally pretty mellow (low moments from time to time, nothing crazy) but I've noticed that since taking it again, epic mood swings set off by the tiniest things. End of the world. Major rage issues (I threw a $800 laptop 15ft across my living room) or just feeling hopeless. I almost had a meltdown when making pancakes. I thought it was just me at first, but thinking back on it, this all started a year ago. It's cost me my relationship. I have my yearly next week, gonna try something new."

CSSgirl September 7, 2017

"I am a 21 years old, healthy young girl. I was on YAZ for 8 months before noticing any changes, all was well. One day I noticed a deep blue vein on my inner calf and thought nothing of it. Today I currently have spider veins and countless thick veins from my feet to thigh. I have countless days where I am in so much pain I do not want to get out of bed, my legs burn and ache to the point where I am in tears. I currently have to wear compression socks for the rest of my life and even with the socks and elevating my feet I am still in pain, I have to have constant Dr appointment to monitor for DVT, (deep vein thrombosis) this is all because of YAZ. My entire life is impacted because of YAZ I have to take ASA everyday now. I will never recommend YAZ"

Ashla August 15, 2017

"I hated being on Yaz. It caused me to gain a lot of weight, so much so and so quickly it actually scared me. I was incredibly depressed and sad all the time finding myself crying nearly every day whereas I am normally a person who almost never cries or gets overly emotional. I had difficulty breathing and felt like my chest was weighed down. Anxiety and panic attacks became my daily norm. Another strange thing was it gave me little red bumps all over my face that weren't acne but just texture. I have been off Yaz for a year now and I still have the red bumpy texture all of my face "

LayneRaye (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

"I was on this medication for one month and have never felt worse in my entire life. Before taking this pill I was an energetic and positive person. Now I am exhausted all the time and hit a wall at 4:00 every day. My confidence has plummeted and I am experiencing extreme mood swings/anxiety/depressive symptoms. I have never experienced anxiety prior to taking this birth control and I have had multiple intense panic attacks within the past month. Other side effects have been increased heart rate, tight chest/trouble breathing, & chronic headaches. I was put on yaz for my acne and it did help in some sense, but it is not worth feeling like crap 24/7."

becaC1995 August 9, 2017

"I switched from Mononessa to Yaz. After the horrible experience I had with Mononessa, Yaz was amazing! It was all good until the beginning of my 4th year of being on it. My body got used to Yaz. I noticed a drastic change in my sex drive(like no sex drive at all, my poor BF), and insane mood swings and starting to feel sadness. I went to the doctor, today actually, and asked her to switch and now I am trying Microgestin in one month after I get my period again. I am nervous since I am reading a lot about the weight gain and mood swings and low sex drive involved with Microgestin which is what I'm trying to get away from. But good thing is, I can always go back and keep trying since there are thousands of birth controls out there. Goodluck!"

BirthControlUser July 14, 2017

"22 year old with a history of anxiety, and have found absolutely no issues with Yaz. Decided to make the switch after feeling overly emotional on Levlen. Was a little reluctant after reading reviews, but haven't experienced any side-effects at all, or at least if I have, they've been too minimal for me to notice!"

allie2100 July 12, 2017