User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"I'm 18 years old. I am on month 4 of this pill and will be discontinuing its use once this pack is done. It cleared up my acne completely by month 3, which is why I am on it, but the mood swings are not worth clear skin. Im prone to anxiety, but my depression and anxiety have sky-rocketed, I feel completely hopeless and have panic attacks every day. My heart is always racing, and I also feel nauseated so easily. This pill makes me feel like Im going insane. Feeling this bad is not worth clear skin, but I give it a 3 only because it did clear up my acne amazingly. Would not recommend."

Anonymous July 20, 2016

"I was recently put on birth control for the first time. I am 24 years old and have always had heavy periods with severe cramping on the front end of my cycle. I chose this BC not only for these symptoms and contraception, but also for acne. I didn't see a major change in the acne. My period was much much lighter lasting about 3-4 days and the cramping was much more tolerable.... HOWEVER, this pill made me crazy. After a few weeks, I experienced EXTREME mood swings. I would uncontrollably cry and become very irrational, which is something I have never experienced before. My boyfriend quickly picked up on my emotional instability and said I was no longer acting like myself. Needless to say.. after 6 weeks, I am calling it quits."

Stephanie2107 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

"Im 20 yr old and have been on birth control for 2 yr now ive tried every pill and even the implant each of them have cause horrid pains and bleeding, i havent got pregnant but experience bad moods and weight gain, nodoctor can seem to help its very frustrating that each doctors visit ive only been prescribed a higher dosage of the pill (now yaz) i feel like the only person who is experiencing this and if the doctors cant help what the heck am i supposed to do"

Helplessvag June 21, 2016

"I've been on Yaz for 3 months. The heavy bleeding, agony and cramps have all stopped. Plus the cravings. Although I feel very low and depressed. I seem to be overly sensitive and raw all the time. It's becoming harder to contain myself around loved ones as I am so emotional and seem to snap at everything and everyone. I would seriously recommend wheather this is the right option if you suffer from mental health issues or you are prone to it. I generally do feel anxious without the pill, although I have been feeling depressed recently, and it's dreadful"

Fateemah June 20, 2016

"I have been on yaz for 5 weeks i have put on 7kilos wake up to swollen fingers have sore hard breast completely no sex drive and the worst a week after taking yaz i got a chest infection thought was viral had antibiotics its now 4 weeks of chest infection googled yaz symptoms and saw it can cause upper respiratory infectuions omg couldn't belive a month of hardly being abile to breath time off work and doctors visits to descover its yaz causing it i stoped it today and have had a bad head ache tonight hope its out of my system quickly"

yelromhsat June 18, 2016

"Went on this just for birth control. My acne has always been mild, break out near period usually. When i started the pill i broke out for the first 2 months in places i don't normally break out (cystic too). It was pretty sad because i don't normally break out that bad. On my third pack now though and my skin is pretty much clear again. My period pain used to be severe though and now they are much better (period has always been regular and short, 3-4 days). I have increased a cup in breast size too. I haven't gained any weight or had any cravings since on the pill. However i have had a couple days where i would feel sad/moody for no reason, and get nausea randomly but not too bad."

bcreview (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

"I started Yaz about a year ago. First it wasn't too bad seeing as my previous pills made my legs swell some kind of crazy. But now into a year and 20 pounds heavier I've decided to come off of them. Between the weight gain, now swelling legs, being tired all the time, no sex drive, mood swings like no ones business, and random spotting, the only thing good that has came out of these pills is the fact I haven't gotten pregnant."

Candi Y June 14, 2016

"I was put on Yaz and then the lower dosage of it, so in total i have been on one form or the other for about 5 months now. I thought i was losing my mind until reading more about this b/c. I gained about 12 pounds (all in my boobs, thighs, love handles and stumach) as i eat a ton now, i actually am starting to feel like im falling into depression again, im always ready to snap, and im in a constant state of exhaustion. Im so glad to have read on this page and others that it is all due to side effects. (I also was going thru another med change and blamed that, but the side effects have nothing in common with the symptoms i have) I am dropping this tonight. Id rather have the horrible periods i was dealindealin than these side effects."

Melj730 June 2, 2016

"Hey! I started taking Yaz over a year ago for birth control and partially for mild acne, I do think it helped my acne and it was an extremely reliable birth control but I fell into a serious state of depression that led to a hospitalization. I think it's great for skin and birth control, but definitely ask your doctor about depression!"

KD101 May 25, 2016

"I had a myelogram done on my neck 24 hrs. later i had a major Stroke Dr. said Yaz caused the Stroke is that possible?????"

Marty may (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

"Im always in a constant state of anxiety and depression, im nervous all the time and generally feel like someone has just died. Been feeling this way consistently for 10 years, I take atleast one panic attack everyday. Ive been on meds, gone to counselling and nothings worked.Ive only been taking Yaz for a few days but within an hour of taking it on the first day I went from feeling anxious to totally calm, is this what it's like to feel normal?. Ive been anxiety and depression free for 3 days now.so im thinking the cause of this anxiety was a hormonal or chemical imbalance that yaz has regulated? I didnt initially take yaz for this reason. Happy accident. Ive also no period cramps.Ill update if anything changes as its early days."

Talullah May 13, 2016

"Worst pill ever. This pill has caused me to be extremely moody. My boobs have gone from a 34B to a 36C and I'm tired all the time. I get headaches alot. Would not recommend getting on this pill to anyone"

janelafy May 6, 2016

"This pill is my first one and it's okay BUT My acne is not gone already (after 3 months). I have cystic acne in the chin, around the mouth. Maybe I have to wait more... Also, it gave me vaginal dryness -_- (the lube don't help) so I have to buy products (like Vagisil Prohydrate, Replens) to help this condition."

Suzie0967 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2016

"well so far my menstruation while using yaz pills is really regular. everything while on yaz was perfect! I am hoping after I am done with my 3rd box I will try and get pregnant!"

lotski (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"As far as birth control... never got pregnant. That is the only plus. Horrible cramps, heavy bleeding, soaking thru tampons in an hour or less, passing of large clots, headaches. Looking forward to switching off to a different BCP"

jparker19 April 8, 2016

"I've been on the generic version of Yaz for 7 days now. I have been nauseated for 7 days and have resulted to taking Zofran (ondanestron) 4 times so that I could eat food. Previously I was on a non-hormonal IUD (Paraguard) but had to have surgery to remove it after it was expelled from my uterus and punctured and embedded in the uterus wall. I'm hopeful that the nausea will go away soon because it's impacted my daily activities."

CJ1234 March 15, 2016

"Heavy bleeding and intense cramping were my primary concerns for starting birth control and since I still bled heavy on my first pill I was switched to Yaz. The good is that the mild acne I did have is now non-existent, no more cramps, and my cycle is the lightest it's ever been. I can actually *want* to do more than stay in bed during my cycle. The bad is the random spotting. Theoretically it's caused by not taking the pill at the same time everyday but I keep a pretty tight schedule so it sucks. The mood swings are also discouraging. I feel myself getting mad or either sad about literally anything more often now. I've also picked up about 10 lbs despite the same eating habits and activity level."

MaddieK (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2016

"Well my Dr wanted me to try it instead of depo.. but I cramp while not even on my period now and have chest pains about an hour after taking it. I looked up reviews because of the chest pains ... and no surprise others experience chest pain with it. I wouldn't recommend it. Also the days of the week label falls off and gets me off track. That doesn't help.."

Si Cov March 7, 2016

"I'm currently still on yaz because my mother won't let me off Of it. I'm 18 and not using yaz for contraception but for depression and anxiety which I find horrendous that my doctor has kinda just gone "you're a female it must be your period!" Idiot. However yaz was kind of working at the start everything has gone downhill and now in my 4th month of using it I'm thinking of stopping taking them against my doctor and mother because my periods irregular, I drink a lot of water but I'm constipated daily, I have funny discharge, I've put on weight, I have headaches and feel dizzy, closer to my period I get sick and feel like vomiting and I'm not happy these pills don't help me how they're supposed to they just hurt me."

Arrabella March 3, 2016

"WORST PILL. Went on it for around 5 months and it made my life a living hell. Almost immediately, I experienced an annoying, impossible to get rid of weight gain. Went from a B cup to a D/DD cup, depending on the time of the month. I also experienced some serious bloating around my stomach and could not get rid of it. Around the same time, I also became incredibly moody. As the months went on, this only got worse. Along with my moodiness, I became anxious, depressed and found that my libido had disappeared completely. Ultimately, I felt as if I had become a different person completely and decided to toss my remaining packs. While my weight and mood went back to normal, my libido took forever to reappear and I still feel it's not the same."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

"So far so good.. I have been on Yaz for two months now. Worked great for clearing up acne. My face was completely clear within the first month of using Yaz. My only problems are that when it is close to my period my cramps are worse than ever. I've also been getting extremely emotional before my period. But other than that, everything seems great. No nausea or anything."

Alexandria_USAF February 21, 2016

"I have been on Yaz for 6 months and have mixed feelings. It does its job by not getting me pregnant and my periods are finally regular. However I have never been more tired in my life. I can barely stay awake past 830pm. I get some pretty intense headaches as well. My weight tends to fluctuate too. I was lucky to not have acne so I can't speak on that but hopefully I can figure out how to get rid of the headaches and weird emotional attacks where I cry for no reason."

Leash a February 20, 2016

"I wouldn't normally give feedback but I think it's really important for women to know the possible side effects. I was on Yaz for 6 months and I started to get chest (heart) pain. The chest pain became more frequent and severe, so I went to my Doctor to get their opinion. My Doctor said there is a chance that the Pill (especially Yaz, because of the hormones it uses) can cause clotting of the blood, which can then lodge in various places in the body. I was told to go to Emergency if my leg started to swell, which it did. The pain went away gradually after I stopped Yaz, but I really believe it would've been a serious problem if I kept taking it. Please be careful when taking it, you're better not to take it if you have these symptoms."

Ruthie_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

"I have been using Yaz for 1 year and still can't get regular periods. In fact sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks. It is horrendous and after reading these reviews will be changing. It is crazy expensive too!"

vickieffingwilson246 February 1, 2016

"Yaz made me nauseated daily and my mood went from being a happy bright personality to a moody tired personality. Changed back to previous pill and feel a million bucks again."

Alleycat775 January 30, 2016