User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

"I had tried so many birth controls before this one and finally my doctor recommended another one. It was Yaz. probably the best birth control for clearing acne, ever. After just two months I'm already noticing a drastic difference. I am so so grateful. I can't even remember the last three I was on before this one but some made my acne so much worse and I'm so glad I found this one"

shay1200 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled with acne for ages and I can't say I have tried all products out there, but I have tried simple face washes and none of them seem to work. It has bothered me and I already took birth control, so when I went to my OB she recommended Yaz. I'm still only on my first pack and I'm about a week in, and I realize it may seem crazy to be getting results so fast, but my skin already seems to be clearing up and so far I haven't had any bizarre side effects. I'm going to update in a few weeks and I hope this helps. I've seen many bad reviews but remember we are all different and will react differently and it's always worth the try!"

AmberCaleb (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Yaz for 3 months. I switched from Diane, in the hopes my skin would improve. I'm 28 and still have congested skin and I am just over it. Nothing changed by moving over to this pill EXCEPT the fact that I've gained 4kilos in just 3 months. For my entire 20's I've weighed, give or take a kilo here and there. My eating habits have not changed and neither has my exercise routine so Yaz is all I can put it down to. 4 kilos may now sound like much but it felt like it went on overnight so it's all been a bit of a shock."

BP5737899 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched to yaz from alesse because I heard it was better for acne. It did wonders for my skin and only having a 4 day period was nice too. However, I did notice that I was more emotional and had crazy mood swings, I found myself crying for no reason (not very good for my relationship either). I didn't gain any weight, and had no other side effects. I only switched back to alesse because my doctor expressed a concern about the blood clots possible with this birth control, otherwise I wouldn't have switched. Goodluck!!"

Anonymous August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken YAZ for just over 6 months now and I have seen no improvement in my skin. I don't have severe ache, I never have but I do suffer from constant congested skin that no cleanser/exfoliator can fix. Mainly whiteheads, heaps and heaps of them mainly on my chin which always turn into zits. Never ending cycle of zits. On YAZ I don't feel any period pain during my cycle and my period is light but I have found that recently, few days before I get my period I break out in acne all over my chin which has spread to my cheeks and it takes nearly until my next period to fully clear. I waited 6+ months to see an improvement in my hormonal skin with YAZ but I have seen none so I'm changing."

AJS21 August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Give it a full 3 months!!! I had severe hormonal acne + pustules all over my face, specifically on my cheeks and jawline, when I got prescribed yaz. The first month was absolutely terrible and I broke out all over my forehead, back and chest... I was literally scared to leave the house. In the second month, it was just as bad but new pimples weren't surfacing as often. Month 3: I had small pimples on my face and everywhere else had cleared up, but it wasn't till the end of my 3rd pack that my face cleared up completely. I'm now in the middle of month 4 and my face is completely clear!!!! I can go out in public without makeup and finally feel confident! Also, I have experienced no side effects except bigger boobs lol"

rdins (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking yaz because of my severe acne, I've had acne now for about 7 years straight I'm now 20 years old and Ive never been able to get rid of it. My GP prescribed me YAZ and I've heard really good stories about this particular pill brand, I took this pill for about the 3 months and my god it made my skin break out completely it was horrible my face was sore to touch because of how big my pimples were and most of them were underneath the skin which was worse. I since then have stopped and gone to a dermatologist (skin specialist) and have been prescribed Minocycline which is an antibiotic and its 100% cleared my skin completely. Note *** I didn't gain weight on this YAZ."

Rach2020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Yaz for 2 weeks now. I get breakouts but they go away quickly and come back. I was still willing to give it a chance. I am stopping because I have become depressed, exhausted, negative and I over analyze things which means I over react and I'm very emotional. This is affecting my relationship and my work. I feel overwhelmed."

Dwarest January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 14 (now 24, 10 yrs!) and I've tried EVERYTHING but nothing seemed to cure my acne for the long run. It started getting worse in my 20s and I was determined that it was a hormonal imbalance. After some research I decided to try Yaz... I really wish I hadn't. I was on it for 3 mths and 1 week, taking it every day at the same time. For the first 6 weeks, there were no changes. After that until I stopped... my acne just kept getting aggressively worse and worse with no signs of improvement. I've never seen my skin so bad in my life! Clogged pores, cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, pustules started popping up almost daily even in places I've never had acne. Just didn't work for me. :("

Anonymous December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 27 years old and I have always had beautiful skin until recently. I started taking yaz two months ago for my severe acne. I'm all honesty I don't see any difference . My face itches terribly everyday and my acne seems to get even worse. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so self conscious and I can't even look people in the eye because I don't feel or look beautiful any longer. Please help"

SOS please........ December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Yaz when I was in varsity as I had SEVERE acne. it took a couple of months to clear but when it did, my skin was completely clear!! I used it straight through for about 8 years. I decided to stop using it for about a year as I am much older now and assumed my hormones were in balance. It took about 4 months for my acne to start re-appearing and now its worse than ever again!! So I'm going back on Yaz and I'm on month two and my acne keeps worsening each day! I'm just trying to be patient and hopefully soon it will clear my skin again! I guess Accutane will be my option for a permanent solution because I cannot be on the pill for life!! *Hopeful for a clear skin soon*"

AkuaB December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yaz made me a crazy person. I literally felt out of control every few days and it felt like my emotions were not my own. I basically destroyed my relationship and it's hanging on by a thread. I stopped taking it in the middle of the month because I couldn't take it anymore. I did a bunch of stuff I would never do normally and I am looking back on all of it and it feels like a fog."

bbcks November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a healthy 20 year old with no history of blood clots, and my doc prescribed YAZ, though I couldn't even finish one month's pack. I noticed a significant clear-up in my breakouts, but it wasn't enough to outweigh the side effects: nausea/vomiting, diharrea, breast tenderness, mood swings, and migraines. The final straw came with a sudden lingering pain accompanied by swelling in my upper right leg that lasted for several hours before abating. I have nothing to confirm that this was a blood clot or was related to the drug, but further research revealed to me that YAZ is currently under thousands of lawsuits due to debilitating and fatal blood clots in seemingly healthy girls. I am now off of YAZ with no intention of returning to it."

Brown-eyedTexan (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well...i start using yaz 3 months ago and my face now looks terrible. Is so much worse then before. I can not go out and i feel so bad. When i start it i had only a few pimples in my right cheek but now all my face is coved with very ugly and big acne. But im still waiting...im in the third week of my third pack now and hoping for some improvment"

Ariel37y4647 November 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I came off Tri-Lo and I started using Yaz to fix my acne (moderate to severe). I also went on Yasmin to fix my acne (it was much much better). I have been on this pill for nearly 3 months and am so anxious to change it. There has been no positive change regarding my acne issues. My depression has gotten worse as a side effect. Usually my PMS starts a day or two before my period, but on Yaz it starts around a full week prior and it's a lot more intense. When I was on Tri-Lo I only got cramps a bit, and they weren't very painful. On Yaz, I've gotten cramps for each period and each time has been increasingly painful. I get yeast infections before every period. I have never gotten a yeast infection before using Yaz!!!"

distinct October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Yaz as my birth control in high school (I'm 25 now) to prevent getting pregnant and as treatment for my moderate acne. It is my holy grail. I used to get consistent breakouts on my forehead and chin, and since using Yaz my acne has completely cleared up. My skin is literally beautiful to the point that my friends will comment how good my skin is. Last year, I decided to give the non-hormonal IUD ParaGard a try because I didn't want the hassle of taking a pill every day. During that time (about 5 months) that I wasn't taking Yaz, my skin broke out terribly. I thought it would calm down after a couple of months once my body had adjusted but it never did. I also started having much more dramatic mood swings during that time."

boudikah September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I Changed to Yaz after my other contraceptive (Levlin) made my skin breakout and made me irrationally emotional. My skin cleared up in 1 month! I didn't have cystic acne but I always got big patchy breakouts. My skin is so smooth and I'm a lot less emotional lol. I'm also on a whole bunch of medications for epilepsy so the fact that this pill can level my emotions is pretty fantastic. I haven't experience any muscle pain, acne worsening, or any other of the side effects other people have mentioned. Guess it depends on the person. I've also noticed it has given me more energy which means I can excerise 5 times a week instead of 3 which is also much healthier for me! Definately give Yaz a try!"

Lilly4567 September 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My reason for taking yaz was my bad cystic acne, which completely stopped in the 1St week!! Wow right..now just waiting for the skin to heal. However, my last week was kinda hell, constipated for more than 4 days and starting to get cramps, worse than before,my mental stability was a bit rough the 1st week. I'm giving it 3 months to see what happens, feeling hopeful as my body is adjusting!"

Bee1712 September 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Diane-35 for six months but decided to switch to Yaz as Diane-35's side effects were too much for me (bloating and intense migraines) although it did totally clear up my skin. Also side note, birth control affects everyone differently, my sister for example took it for her acne too, it did wonders and she had no side effects at all! I have am on my third packet of Yaz. I must say my skin has gone a little nuts. I am getting quite bad breakouts. But I have decided to wait it out a bit. From reading online I've noticed most people don't see any good improvement on their skin until the end of the third month. And apart from some tiredness I haven't really had any other side effects. Fingers crossed it helps sort out my skin."

Nu30 September 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on yaz about 2 to 3 years ago to cure acne and very heavy periods. It worked brilliantly for both but it has caused extreme weight gain for me. I gained 10kg (around 20lbs) in the first few months and now I am considered overweight on the BMI for the first time in my life. I have tried everything from gym to cutting out carbs and can't lose any weight. I put this down to being a Estrogen Dominant pill. I just had my period and do not plan to go back on it."

MummaR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I struggled with acne all of high school. It wasn't extreme in any way, but it was definitely a problem. I tried 2 different antibiotics and then 3 birth controls before yaz. The first 3 months I noticed a slow improvement in my skin. By the third month it was at least 10x better. I haven't gotten any more large pimples, and I used to get occasional patches of acne, and I haven't yet. It really has been great!"

sarah111111111 June 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay, so I started Yaz because I had really bad cystic acne that would not go away, no matter what I did, as well as irregular, heavy periods. So I went to my doctor and they put me on it. Did it work? Well, yes and no. My acne was worse than ever for a couple months, though it has pretty much gone away for good now. My periods are much lighter and regular, except for when I missed one. That didn't end well. I am three months in now, but then I heard that in Canada alone, many people have died from thrombosis directly linked to the use of Yaz. As such, I am discontinuing it as of the end of this month. As great as it is for my acne to be gone... A miracle cure for pimples is something I've decided isn't worth my life."

Mad Princess Mia June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled with acne since I was fifteen and nothing I would take or use helped it ever, and I did not want to take acutane. My doctor suggested I take birth control to help clear my skin and this has made my skin completely clear and I'm very glad. I did break out worse for the first three months but then my skin was completely clear, I did not gain weight in fact I lost two pounds at first, and it did make my boobs bigger, and they were sore at first but nothing terrible. The only problem I have is that it does make me really emotional the week before or the week after my period but nothing extreme, just irritability, sometimes crying at random things."

speezy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I tried the generic Gianvi but it was seriously like taking rage pills, so now I'm using the brand name even though insurance doesn't cover it. I started taking Yaz to help with my skin because I was breaking out really bad. I noticed a significant difference in my skin within the first month and now my skin is completely clear with the exception of the occasional bump or two around my period. I get the typical mood swings around my period but nothing too crazy. I have noticed I feel a little more anxious since I've started taking it but it isn't extreme. My boobs are much more full now, which I like, but I have gained a little weight (about 3-5 pounds) which has proven hard to get rid of it."

SlpKB January 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on yaz for about 3 months because of my severe acne. In the first two months my acne remained the same but my boobs increased in about a size and a half, which my doctor warned me about. It doesnt bother me as now my breast are fuller/ rounder however I have quite a few stretch marks. So I'd recommend using bio oil on your chest and hips for the first few months on yaz just in case this happenes to you. At around month 3 my skin is not breaking out anywhere near as much. I'm amazed by my skin, it's never been so good. Overall I have never been so happy with my skin and I haven't even finished my third month. I still feel it getting better every day. I have experienced no other side effects beside slight fatigue."

Anonymous January 12, 2016