User Reviews for Yaz

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

"I started Yaz in 2016 to clear up some moderate acne that affected my confidence a great deal. It took about three months to see any noticeable change but after that it was extremely clear and I felt amazing! However I had to go off it a few months later as I’d been getting frequent headaches and thought the pill was the cause. Then of course the dreaded pimples came back and slowly but surely about three months after they were worse than before I went on it. So I decided to go back on Yaz as I knew it had worked for me in the past. Now I’ve been on it for almost two months and my skin is the absolute worst it has ever been with bright red cystic acne all over my cheeks (I didn’t even have it there before). Although it upsets me a great deal as it does everyone else I am remaining hopeful because it has worked wonders in the past and I think my body is just taking its time to adjust to change! Also no more headaches!"

trustingthedoc101 February 1, 2018

"I have never has bad skin in high school & then in my 20's I development terrible pimples only on my chin. I was already on birth control but it was a extremely low dose. I starting to become so self-conscience of my skin it was starting to effect my social life I was embarrassed to go out. I tried a million different dermatologist & over the counter scrubs. I washing my face constantly. FINALLY I tried Yaz after my friend told me about it & it's been a week today and I haven't had a pimple since. I am so grateful I wanted to share my experience in hopes to help someone else! GO YAZ :)"

Ashley Yaz January 30, 2018

"Originally from Europe, I moved to Asia, where the tropical climate took its toll on my skin. Within 3 months I developed severe acne. At first I felt optimistic, “that is just temporary”, I thought, but when I tried almost everything (stopped eating any sugar, drank tons of water, tried various anti-acne cosmetics) and nothing worked, I got depressed. I read many positive reviews about Yaz here and it became my last hope. I have been on it for a year now, and I would say that it did miracles to me, though I had to wait quite long. I cleared my acne after 9 months. I have not experienced absolutely any side effects. I recognise that every body is different, but Yaz worked 100% for me, it might work for you as well."

Nicoletttta (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2018

"I have been taking yaz for the past 10 years... it’s not always doctors favorite but I have tried a few generics over the years as well as mirena and they all didn’t work for me (horrible mood swings, month long periods, skin issues etc). I switched to a new dr and she suggested switching to aviane another generic as it’s fully covered by insurance and yaz isn’t (a perfectly good reason to muck around with your body right?!?!? Not... my skin and mood has been awful!!! I’ve given it 5 months but I am switching back to yaz! Everyone is different and for me yaz works the best- nothing I try works better. Insurance sucks, women know their bodies best!"

Bel Italia (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2017

"I had been on Yaz briefly at 17-18 and couldn’t handle the responsibility of taking a pill everyday. My doctor put me on Nuvaring at 19 and I stayed on that for 6 years. When I turned 24 I got the worst acne of my life, so cystic and painful. Went off of it and let me body rest, then my whole body broke out into painful cysts. Went back on nuvaring and my mood plummeted and my acne just got worse on my face instead of my body. My doctor put me on Yaz and after 3 months my skin cleared up around 75% and after 6 it was 100% clear. I lost around 15lbs of water weight and my family and friends even noticed my mood being better. Have not had one negative side effect besides a little spotting when I tried to skip two periods at a time. Amazing!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2017

"This pill has cleared up my acne and regulated my period! I used to never get my period and now I get it every single month. I did go up a few bra sizes but I remain the same weight overall. It did make my period very heavy and very painful along with bad emotional breakdowns on the sugar pills. Other than that, I really like this pill!"

ESmith2345678 December 3, 2017

"I am 35 and I have suffered from acne and other hormonal problems for the last 9 years. I was on allese before that and had minimal break outs. When I was pregnant, both times my skin was flawless which indicated that it was definitely hormones. I have not had any success clearing acne using topical, washes or any other specialized skin treatments. I have been on yaz for nearly a week and am already seeing great improvements in my skin. I wonder if it works for acne when the cause is truely hormonal. I don’t think this is all in my head because others have noticed my clearing skin too. I do work out regularly and eat pretty well so don’t know if that helps.I will update as time progresses."

Happyyazzer (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

"Yaz was the worst thing to ever happen to me. I switched from Minastrin FE to Yaz because my doctor said it would be more effective for my skin... WRONG. I had moderate - mild hormonal acne before Yaz but after taking Yaz for just 1 month my skin broke out like crazy. It was so painful and horrible I wouldn’t leave my house. My doctor told me not to panic and give it the full 3 months... I took it for 4 excruciating months and my face got progressively worse the entire time I was on it. I stopped taking it and my dermatologist put me on antibiotics which finally cleared my skin. But the whole experience was so bad I will never take this pill again. HORRIBLE."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

"I am going off this because I gained a lot of weight"

gain weight (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2017

"Fantastic results! But tried to stop them twice and acne came back after few month :( so had to start again"

Elena Ellul (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

"I had DEEP, purple bruising cystic acne (difficult to pop and really didn't have much pus; mostly hard swelling) on my chin, shoulders and back. I am about 7 months in. My face is mostly clear and I don't get any more of the bad pustules; the acne I do get is small and pops easily. Redness and buttery looking face is gone. It really did help my acne/skin. HOWEVER I am sad to say I had too many scary side effects and have stopped taking it: -I had random soreness: under forearms, above heels, back of calves, inner thighs, tips of fingers. It hurt to walk, sit and type. -My legs would twitch at night and keep me awake. My ankles/toes would suddenly flex. -I had an uneasy feeling like I was coming down with a cold the entire time I was on it"

for-cystic-acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2017

"I had tried so many birth controls before this one and finally my doctor recommended another one. It was Yaz. probably the best birth control for clearing acne, ever. After just two months I'm already noticing a drastic difference. I am so so grateful. I can't even remember the last three I was on before this one but some made my acne so much worse and I'm so glad I found this one"

shay1200 September 14, 2017

"I have struggled with acne for ages and I can't say I have tried all products out there, but I have tried simple face washes and none of them seem to work. It has bothered me and I already took birth control, so when I went to my OB she recommended Yaz. I'm still only on my first pack and I'm about a week in, and I realize it may seem crazy to be getting results so fast, but my skin already seems to be clearing up and so far I haven't had any bizarre side effects. I'm going to update in a few weeks and I hope this helps. I've seen many bad reviews but remember we are all different and will react differently and it's always worth the try!"

AmberCaleb (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

"I have been on Yaz for 3 months. I switched from Diane, in the hopes my skin would improve. I'm 28 and still have congested skin and I am just over it. Nothing changed by moving over to this pill EXCEPT the fact that I've gained 4kilos in just 3 months. For my entire 20's I've weighed, give or take a kilo here and there. My eating habits have not changed and neither has my exercise routine so Yaz is all I can put it down to. 4 kilos may now sound like much but it felt like it went on overnight so it's all been a bit of a shock."

BP5737899 August 12, 2017

"I switched to yaz from alesse because I heard it was better for acne. It did wonders for my skin and only having a 4 day period was nice too. However, I did notice that I was more emotional and had crazy mood swings, I found myself crying for no reason (not very good for my relationship either). I didn't gain any weight, and had no other side effects. I only switched back to alesse because my doctor expressed a concern about the blood clots possible with this birth control, otherwise I wouldn't have switched. Goodluck!!"

Anonymous August 9, 2017

"I have taken YAZ for just over 6 months now and I have seen no improvement in my skin. I don't have severe ache, I never have but I do suffer from constant congested skin that no cleanser/exfoliator can fix. Mainly whiteheads, heaps and heaps of them mainly on my chin which always turn into zits. Never ending cycle of zits. On YAZ I don't feel any period pain during my cycle and my period is light but I have found that recently, few days before I get my period I break out in acne all over my chin which has spread to my cheeks and it takes nearly until my next period to fully clear. I waited 6+ months to see an improvement in my hormonal skin with YAZ but I have seen none so I'm changing."

AJS21 August 7, 2017

"Give it a full 3 months!!! I had severe hormonal acne + pustules all over my face, specifically on my cheeks and jawline, when I got prescribed yaz. The first month was absolutely terrible and I broke out all over my forehead, back and chest... I was literally scared to leave the house. In the second month, it was just as bad but new pimples weren't surfacing as often. Month 3: I had small pimples on my face and everywhere else had cleared up, but it wasn't till the end of my 3rd pack that my face cleared up completely. I'm now in the middle of month 4 and my face is completely clear!!!! I can go out in public without makeup and finally feel confident! Also, I have experienced no side effects except bigger boobs lol"

rdins (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

"I started taking yaz because of my severe acne, I've had acne now for about 7 years straight I'm now 20 years old and Ive never been able to get rid of it. My GP prescribed me YAZ and I've heard really good stories about this particular pill brand, I took this pill for about the 3 months and my god it made my skin break out completely it was horrible my face was sore to touch because of how big my pimples were and most of them were underneath the skin which was worse. I since then have stopped and gone to a dermatologist (skin specialist) and have been prescribed Minocycline which is an antibiotic and its 100% cleared my skin completely. Note *** I didn't gain weight on this YAZ."

Rach2020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

"I have been taking Yaz for 2 weeks now. I get breakouts but they go away quickly and come back. I was still willing to give it a chance. I am stopping because I have become depressed, exhausted, negative and I over analyze things which means I over react and I'm very emotional. This is affecting my relationship and my work. I feel overwhelmed."

Dwarest January 13, 2017

"I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 14 (now 24, 10 yrs!) and I've tried EVERYTHING but nothing seemed to cure my acne for the long run. It started getting worse in my 20s and I was determined that it was a hormonal imbalance. After some research I decided to try Yaz... I really wish I hadn't. I was on it for 3 mths and 1 week, taking it every day at the same time. For the first 6 weeks, there were no changes. After that until I stopped... my acne just kept getting aggressively worse and worse with no signs of improvement. I've never seen my skin so bad in my life! Clogged pores, cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, pustules started popping up almost daily even in places I've never had acne. Just didn't work for me. :("

Anonymous December 13, 2016

"I'm 27 years old and I have always had beautiful skin until recently. I started taking yaz two months ago for my severe acne. I'm all honesty I don't see any difference . My face itches terribly everyday and my acne seems to get even worse. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so self conscious and I can't even look people in the eye because I don't feel or look beautiful any longer. Please help"

SOS please........ December 12, 2016

"I used Yaz when I was in varsity as I had SEVERE acne. it took a couple of months to clear but when it did, my skin was completely clear!! I used it straight through for about 8 years. I decided to stop using it for about a year as I am much older now and assumed my hormones were in balance. It took about 4 months for my acne to start re-appearing and now its worse than ever again!! So I'm going back on Yaz and I'm on month two and my acne keeps worsening each day! I'm just trying to be patient and hopefully soon it will clear my skin again! I guess Accutane will be my option for a permanent solution because I cannot be on the pill for life!! *Hopeful for a clear skin soon*"

AkuaB December 12, 2016

"Yaz made me a crazy person. I literally felt out of control every few days and it felt like my emotions were not my own. I basically destroyed my relationship and it's hanging on by a thread. I stopped taking it in the middle of the month because I couldn't take it anymore. I did a bunch of stuff I would never do normally and I am looking back on all of it and it feels like a fog."

bbcks November 28, 2016

"I'm a healthy 20 year old with no history of blood clots, and my doc prescribed YAZ, though I couldn't even finish one month's pack. I noticed a significant clear-up in my breakouts, but it wasn't enough to outweigh the side effects: nausea/vomiting, diharrea, breast tenderness, mood swings, and migraines. The final straw came with a sudden lingering pain accompanied by swelling in my upper right leg that lasted for several hours before abating. I have nothing to confirm that this was a blood clot or was related to the drug, but further research revealed to me that YAZ is currently under thousands of lawsuits due to debilitating and fatal blood clots in seemingly healthy girls. I am now off of YAZ with no intention of returning to it."

Brown-eyedTexan (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

"Well...i start using yaz 3 months ago and my face now looks terrible. Is so much worse then before. I can not go out and i feel so bad. When i start it i had only a few pimples in my right cheek but now all my face is coved with very ugly and big acne. But im still waiting...im in the third week of my third pack now and hoping for some improvment"

Ariel37y4647 November 20, 2016