User Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

Yaz has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 214 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 55% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz

paulaaaa123 July 2, 2020

“I’m writing this review because I drove myself crazy reading reviews basically every single night when I first started taking Yaz and I’d love to help out whoever might be doing the same.I always had relatively clear skin but a few months ago,I started getting hormonal cystic pimples. So I decided to go on Yaz. The first month was a little hard I’m not gonna lie. I felt “down” most of the time & I also broke out a whole lot in the first month which didn’t help my mental state at all. But I remained confident that Yaz would clear up my skin. As soon as I started my second pack, things fell into place. My mood swings are gone, I don't cry everyday & for the first time in my life I can say I have 150% clear skin(& no problematic skin)I've lost more than 15 lbs, my boobs went from 34B to 34D & I'm healthier than ever. All this to say: things might get worse before they get better but in the long run, it DID pay off for me and I hope it will for you too.”

BB February 27, 2021

“I always said if I found a miracle cure to my acne, I would get online and write a review. This is the one. I'm 27, and have had acne since I was 11. My skin has never been completely clear until now. I've done Accutane (which did help, it reduced my acne in half and gave me more balanced skin), Spironolactone (helped, but my skin was never completely clear and it messed up my periods), Ortho Tri Cyclen (another b/c, didn't help), Tretinoin Cream, Differin, and just about every store bought or natural solution you can think of. My dermatologist literally told me, "Oh, so you've done it all." As other reviews stated, give it 3 months. That's when my skin cleared, and I've been 100% clear for 2 months now. I'd say more but there's a character limit. It's incredible.”

Nini · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2021

“Two months ago I was on this page because I was crying every night looking myself at the mirror for my horrible cystic acne. I was on my second pack of Yaz by then. I’m now on my 4th pack and I just wanna tell to anyone who’s planning to give up on this pill (because it might feel like it’s not doing your skin any good), to please hold on and continue! It will get better I promise! Your hormones just need adjusting to this medication. It will get better. Trust me.”

L February 6, 2020

“3 months ago I was scrolling through the comments on this website in hopes of finding hope for my hormonal cystic acne. I was diagnosed with PCOS after going to various doctors for my horrible acne that was painful, all over my jawline and especially my chin. It scarred horribly and took forever to go away. I was then prescribed Yaz. When I first started, I could count for 10-20 cysts on my face. 3 months later, I don’t even have 1 active cyst on my face. The only reason I’m not giving this a 10/10 is the first month was terrible. I was constantly nauseous and even threw up a few times. It also caused an initial breakout that was worse than anything I experienced before (even tho my doctor insisted it wouldn’t get worse.) Besides that initial purge and nausea - I don’t have anything but good things to say. I’m finally getting my confidence back with clearer skin. This was amazing for me. I hope it works for you as well.”

Acne but hopeful August 3, 2020

“Since I’m spending so much time reading through reviews on this page I thought I would add in my experience from this pill! I am currently halfway through my second pack of a random generic for Yaz. Like a lot of you my doc put me on this pill to help reduce acne (I tend towards blackheads, close comedones, as well as those dang cysts that stick around forever). Hate to say it but I am definitely one of the ones experiencing worst skin, since beginning I have had pretty constant cysts on my cheek/jaw area. Right now I can count about 8 different spots that are very red and will linger for weeks (as well as my original congestion). I am hopeful that like others have said by pack 3 I will wake up with that magically clear skin. AS A SIDE NOTE: I am miraculously side effect free other than the acne! No nausea, weight gain, moodiness, headaches, nada! I even started mid cycle and didn’t get any breakthrough bleeding. I will update with this same name around the three month mark”

Gbaddd26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

“So I was skeptical on taking this birth control due to reading the mixed reviews. I’m glad I took it anyways. I just finished off my second pack and I’m also using a prescription acne cream called Retin-a. My skin definitely cleared up. I had constant cystic acne, white heads, black heads. I looked like a teenager and I’m in my mid-twenties. My skin has occasional break outs during my period week. Nothing crazy, maybe 3 pimples at the most, which is a huge improvement from before where I would have like 20 at one time. I definitely recommend this birth control. Also I’m not pregnant ;)”

Bg · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

“I have been on YAZ for almost three years now. When I first started on birth control I was on Alesse but it didn’t help with my moderate acne so I was prescribed YAZ. it has been almost three years and my acne has not changed at all - I have tiny skin coloured bumps all over my chin and then get whiteheads on my chin and around my mouth. I don’t have any other side effects and it has worked well for preventing pregnancy but has not helped my skin at all. Anyone else experienced this?”

Sarah November 7, 2020

“Just started my 4th month on Yaz. Zero side effects and my period and regular, shorter, and lighter, which I really like. My weight has stayed the same, which I’m also happy with. The main reason I went on Yaz to help my acne and I am still seeing no results in the 4th month. My skin is super clogged, greasy, and filled with pimples. I’ll probably switch if it doesn’t make a difference within the next few months.”

pimplepopper · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

“Okay guys, I desperately searched this site two months ago when my acne was horrific. I had started Yaz for the acne and it instantly got worse for the first month and it felt really hopeless. BUT, it’s been 3 months now (the amount of time they say to wait) and it’s so, so, so much better. Please stick with this if you have hormonal acne it helped me so much.”

Kenny96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2021

“Hey guys.... so I’ve written on here twice before. Once about 2 weeks after starting Yaz when I started to break out after having perfect skin (I’ve been on Accutane three times and my skin was finally perfect) and then again at the start of the second pack when things got better... or so I thought.. I’m on the third week of my third month so basically meaning that I’ve been taking Yaz for almost 3 months and man oh man my skin has been the worst it’s been while on Yaz this month. I have bumps all around my mouth and jaw which I understand is hormonal. The texture of my skin is oily and bumpy and it makes me super self conscious. I’m giving Yaz three more weeks and if I don’t see serious improvement I’m getting off of it and will try something else. Besides the acne I do like Yaz (no bloating, no weight gain, has helped with my period which is why I went on birth control in the first place) but I just want perfect skin again. Good luck everyone!”

Chkrbr · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

“I am almost finishing my 4th pack of generic Yaz and I’d love to report better news but my acne is not better, actually worse. All over my upper neck and jawline which is hormonal acne - which is what I thought this BC specialized in! And I’m 32 so this shouldn’t be happening like I’m some teen in high school acne. Definitely started the BC journey and saw it purging and getting “worse” before better. But then 4 weeks ago my acne got terrible. I have tons of activity and surface white heads and even some cystic acne. I told myself I would try to complete 5 months but I just don’t see this getting better. Yes my skin has improved from when I had a really bad bad episode of acne 4 weeks ago but its still pretty bad. What a disappointment. I’ll report if anything changes...”

debbie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2020

“I only took YAZ for 1 month and 1 week and had to stop due to an explosion of pimples on my cheeks and jaw line that I never had before along with severe pelvic and leg pain and severe depression. My hair was also falling out like crazy. I am now 1 week without birth control and my mood has increased substantially and all of the side effects went away. YAZ also made me get a yeast infection on my FACE resulting in my breaking out in red bumpy itchy burning hives all over my face making the acne look worse than it actually was. I am now on steroids for the infection along with an antibiotic for the acne (BACTRIM) which I have taken before and waiting for these to kick in as I’ve only been on them for a week. Moral of the story YAZ wrecked my face.”

Emz April 29, 2021

“My doctor put me on Yaz for post-pill acne and said to try it for 3 months and see how I liked it. It made my skin TERRIBLE for the first 2 months. Extreme purging of acne on my chin and jaw. It also made me very emotional. I was so close to stopping taking it but I wanted to remain hopeful after the 3 month period, things would get better so I suffered through the purging. I’m just about to start month 4 and I have had no acne for the last 2 weeks and my skin is almost perfect. I’m stuck with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from the purging but concealer can cover it up while my vitamin C serum does its thing. My face feels so soft and completely clear as of right now and my period is so light with minimal cramping. My insurance covers almost the entire cost of it so I’ll stick with it for a while and see if it keeps my skin clear! Definitely worth a try if you’re willing to go through the purging for a while first month or two.”

Happy Swede March 15, 2020

“I've been on Yaz for 6 years now, and it's been a lifesaver. Without birth control I have periods that last 12 days, 5 of them with a heavy flow and very painful menstrual cramps. I also have a lot of acne (not cystic) if I don't take Yaz. All of these are symptoms of having too much testosterone/having a higher affinity for testosterone. Yaz is anti androgenic, which means that it reduces the male hormones in your body/blocks their effect. I believe that Yaz won't help you if your acne is not caused by too much testosterone. It took 7 months for me to see any effect on my acne, and it stayed the same until it went away. The only side effect I had was sore boobs for about one month, but I've never had any problems with hormones affecting my mood, so you might want to bear that in mind. No weight gain either, but I don't bloat, and any "fat gain" will be because you eat more. How Yaz affects YOU will depend, of course, because we're all different.”

Jenfr · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2020

“I was prescribed Yaz a month ago due to a hormonal imbalance, cystic acne, and water weight. I just finished my first pack and wanted to share with all of you. I have lost some water weight and my mood/hormones have levelled so much! Before I was around an 8 around pms but I haven’t felt above a 3 in weeks. This acne however is horrible. It has completely wrecked my skin. Everyday I have new cystic bumps along my cheeks and jawline. My doc wants me to give it a full 3 months, but I seriously don’t know if I can continue with my face like this. I’m 30, not 15. I have been using bp and been prescribed retin-a to help. I am Beyond embarrassed by it, so hopefully it gets better. Before yaz I would get maybe a handful Of cystic acne around my period, but I have a new bump everyday since I started”

Abigail J February 1, 2021

“Before taking Yaz, like most people, I came on here and spent hours reading reviews. Per usual, I freaked myself out. You have to remember is that birth control effects every single person differently. You will not know how this medication will work for you until you try it. I'm 21 and have always had breakouts but they became cystic when I started college. I have done everything from dermatologist prescribed topical creams to changing my diet, and revamping my skincare routine. Literally nothing worked. I am now on the start of my 3rd month of Yaz. The only side effect symptoms I have had are nausea and breast tenderness, which are both manageable. As of this week, my skin is finally starting to clear up. Any breakouts seem to be small and manageable. I really hope that this is not a temporary thing (my skin sometimes has good days and tricks me into thinking my acne is gone). I would say anyone considering trying this definitely should!”

Iwantacnetobegone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

“I started taking Yaz along with antibiotics to cure my acne 3 months and a couple of days ago. I’ve read the reviews here religiously saying it would get better after 3 months. This is not the case! My acne got worse as soon as I started taking it month 1 was terrible also 2 and now I honestly see no difference. Please tell me if someone shared the same experience I don’t know what to do”

bmillion October 3, 2020

“Just ended second pack of Yaz. Starting month 3, hoping to see good results with skin as they say to wait out a full 3 months. Since I got my Mirena IUD taken out 4 months ago, my acne went from nothing at all to everywhere, especially terrible on my chest!? It is just so hard on my confidence when it is on the chest. Hoping this month I'll see it start clearing up. The first month on it I was no joke crying everyday, so so emotional, I probably haven't cried in a year until I got on Yaz (Nikki generic). But that subsided and I felt stable again on month 2. Everything is temporary when hormones are trying to rebalance themselves, remember that. Still a bit emotional but better for sure. ALSO had hot flashes for 2 months everyday... haven't experienced them in a week though! Other side effects I have are bigger boobs, I'll take it! Also I've lost 10lbs on it. Most say they see weight gain with BC pills but its crazy how differently birth control effects everyone.”

Cards · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

“I’m 23 & been on Yaz for 4 months. I went on it for acne and my face is clearing up, but I am also on other acne medication. Other birth controls have caused me weight gain, depression, and mood swings. I have lost weight on Yaz and my mood seems stable which is good. My boobs have grown a TON, even with the weight loss they’ve grown at least a cup size. (Disclaimer: I dieted & exercised to lose the weight the medicine didn’t make me lose it) The only negative side effect is that once I started my period I have been bleeding/spotting for almost two months now. Hopefully that will regulate with time. So far it’s the best BC I’ve ever taken.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

“I’ve been on Yaz for almost 2 months now. I was hoping it would clear my skin up and help me with my cystic acne, but I’m not sure. I usually get pimples 2 weeks before my period, so obviously I broke out the 2 weeks before hand. But before that I felt like my skin was getting a little better. I definitely am still getting break outs tho. I’m getting my period tomorrow and I got a few more pimples coming in, as well as this one pimple on my chin that will NOT go away. I haven’t noticed any weight gain, or depression, but my boobs definitely got bigger lol. I’m gonna do another update after month 3. I hope it will finally kick in but I guess we will see:/”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2021

“All I have to say about this pill is who ever created Yaz don't know what they have released onto women. I had a few pimples here and there so I decided to get on Yaz for my acne and within literally 2 days my skin has never looked worse. I’m talking about cystic acne all over my face and it hurts. I haven’t even gotten through a month of this pill and I’m already going to quit it because of how bad it has made my acne. It hasn’t even cleared it up in the slightest bit, it makes me get a new pimple every morning when I wake up. It’ll also make you cry all the time because of how bad it makes ur skin look :)) don’t get on it yall it’s awful”

kellina · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2020

“I've been using Yaz as a form of birth control but also for my moderate,persistent acne (tried everything in 5 years) I would say the first 3 months were terrible..my acne has never been worst so be prepared. But now, I'm now 7 months into it and my skin is the clearest it has been in years. I still have pimples but they are really small and go away in a day and it could also be because I'm eating really bad at the moment. The only negative thing is it has made me a bit more anxious and prone to crying, even if my gynecologist says it's impossibile, I've noticed that I'm way more sensitive than before..even little things make me cry. But anyway, I suggest you to try it if you don't want babies and acne, just be patient, I know it can be tough the first months but it's worth it ! I also haven't noticed a gain in weight and I guess it s because it is a low dosage pill. Good luck !”

Flik · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2019

“The reason I am on this website, is because I've almost finished my 3rd month of Yaz and my skin is terrible, so I came here to see if others felt the same, and it seems so. I'm just not getting a break from pimples, its really getting me down. I've read a lot here, that the skin improves from here on out, so I will persevere. My moods have improved so much, I am more consistent and balanced. No PMS at all, very light periods too. If you're like me, hang in there a bit longer, I'm optimistic my skin will clear.”

yazbirthcontrol · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2021

“I switched from a different birth control to Yaz in hopes it would help with my acne. I gave Yaz a little over 2 months before I just completely stopped taking it. It was awful. My acne was so much worse than it had ever been, especially my hormonal acne. It made my skin extremely dry, lotion and vaseline couldn’t even fix it. I was told to wait until 3 months for “magically clear skin” but didn’t think just waiting a few more weeks would make any difference. I was extremely emotional and cried most days for no reason when I’m typically not a crier. It basically just put my body extremely out of whack. I’ve been on multiple different birth controls before and this was by far the worst, I personally wouldn’t recommend but everyone does react differently and I do have friends who like Yaz.”

Anonymous June 28, 2008

“I'm 31 years old. Had mild acne for years. Tried many OTC kits and prescription topicals. Nautropathic to Allopathic. I am a very healthy vegetarian, eat whole foods diet. Nothing helped. Most breakouts were under my chin or around my jaw. I was against the idea of taking a BCP for acne. I hated the idea of putting something artificial into my body. I am so happy that I gave in. My face was totally clear within 2 weeks. No negative side effects. have finished 2 packs. Mild nausea and headaches the first week.”

Learn more about Acne