User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 440 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

"I started taking yaz because of my severe acne, I've had acne now for about 7 years straight I'm now 20 years old and Ive never been able to get rid of it. My GP prescribed me YAZ and I've heard really good stories about this particular pill brand, I took this pill for about the 3 months and my god it made my skin break out completely it was horrible my face was sore to touch because of how big my pimples were and most of them were underneath the skin which was worse. I since then have stopped and gone to a dermatologist (skin specialist) and have been prescribed Minocycline which is an antibiotic and its 100% cleared my skin completely. Note *** I didn't gain weight on this YAZ."

Rach2020 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Yaz for 2 weeks now. I get breakouts but they go away quickly and come back. I was still willing to give it a chance. I am stopping because I have become depressed, exhausted, negative and I over analyze things which means I over react and I'm very emotional. This is affecting my relationship and my work. I feel overwhelmed."

Dwarest January 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 14 (now 24, 10 yrs!) and I've tried EVERYTHING but nothing seemed to cure my acne for the long run. It started getting worse in my 20s and I was determined that it was a hormonal imbalance. After some research I decided to try Yaz... I really wish I hadn't. I was on it for 3 mths and 1 week, taking it every day at the same time. For the first 6 weeks, there were no changes. After that until I stopped... my acne just kept getting aggressively worse and worse with no signs of improvement. I've never seen my skin so bad in my life! Clogged pores, cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, pustules started popping up almost daily even in places I've never had acne. Just didn't work for me. :("

Anonymous December 13, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 27 years old and I have always had beautiful skin until recently. I started taking yaz two months ago for my severe acne. I'm all honesty I don't see any difference . My face itches terribly everyday and my acne seems to get even worse. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so self conscious and I can't even look people in the eye because I don't feel or look beautiful any longer. Please help"

SOS please........ December 12, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used Yaz when I was in varsity as I had SEVERE acne. it took a couple of months to clear but when it did, my skin was completely clear!! I used it straight through for about 8 years. I decided to stop using it for about a year as I am much older now and assumed my hormones were in balance. It took about 4 months for my acne to start re-appearing and now its worse than ever again!! So I'm going back on Yaz and I'm on month two and my acne keeps worsening each day! I'm just trying to be patient and hopefully soon it will clear my skin again! I guess Accutane will be my option for a permanent solution because I cannot be on the pill for life!! *Hopeful for a clear skin soon*"

AkuaB December 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yaz made me a crazy person. I literally felt out of control every few days and it felt like my emotions were not my own. I basically destroyed my relationship and it's hanging on by a thread. I stopped taking it in the middle of the month because I couldn't take it anymore. I did a bunch of stuff I would never do normally and I am looking back on all of it and it feels like a fog."

bbcks November 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a healthy 20 year old with no history of blood clots, and my doc prescribed YAZ, though I couldn't even finish one month's pack. I noticed a significant clear-up in my breakouts, but it wasn't enough to outweigh the side effects: nausea/vomiting, diharrea, breast tenderness, mood swings, and migraines. The final straw came with a sudden lingering pain accompanied by swelling in my upper right leg that lasted for several hours before abating. I have nothing to confirm that this was a blood clot or was related to the drug, but further research revealed to me that YAZ is currently under thousands of lawsuits due to debilitating and fatal blood clots in seemingly healthy girls. I am now off of YAZ with no intention of returning to it."

Brown-eyedTexan (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well...i start using yaz 3 months ago and my face now looks terrible. Is so much worse then before. I can not go out and i feel so bad. When i start it i had only a few pimples in my right cheek but now all my face is coved with very ugly and big acne. But im still waiting...im in the third week of my third pack now and hoping for some improvment"

Ariel37y4647 November 20, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I came off Tri-Lo and I started using Yaz to fix my acne (moderate to severe). I also went on Yasmin to fix my acne (it was much much better). I have been on this pill for nearly 3 months and am so anxious to change it. There has been no positive change regarding my acne issues. My depression has gotten worse as a side effect. Usually my PMS starts a day or two before my period, but on Yaz it starts around a full week prior and it's a lot more intense. When I was on Tri-Lo I only got cramps a bit, and they weren't very painful. On Yaz, I've gotten cramps for each period and each time has been increasingly painful. I get yeast infections before every period. I have never gotten a yeast infection before using Yaz!!!"

distinct October 27, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Yaz as my birth control in high school (I'm 25 now) to prevent getting pregnant and as treatment for my moderate acne. It is my holy grail. I used to get consistent breakouts on my forehead and chin, and since using Yaz my acne has completely cleared up. My skin is literally beautiful to the point that my friends will comment how good my skin is. Last year, I decided to give the non-hormonal IUD ParaGard a try because I didn't want the hassle of taking a pill every day. During that time (about 5 months) that I wasn't taking Yaz, my skin broke out terribly. I thought it would calm down after a couple of months once my body had adjusted but it never did. I also started having much more dramatic mood swings during that time."

boudikah September 14, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I Changed to Yaz after my other contraceptive (Levlin) made my skin breakout and made me irrationally emotional. My skin cleared up in 1 month! I didn't have cystic acne but I always got big patchy breakouts. My skin is so smooth and I'm a lot less emotional lol. I'm also on a whole bunch of medications for epilepsy so the fact that this pill can level my emotions is pretty fantastic. I haven't experience any muscle pain, acne worsening, or any other of the side effects other people have mentioned. Guess it depends on the person. I've also noticed it has given me more energy which means I can excerise 5 times a week instead of 3 which is also much healthier for me! Definately give Yaz a try!"

Lilly4567 September 11, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My reason for taking yaz was my bad cystic acne, which completely stopped in the 1St week!! Wow right..now just waiting for the skin to heal. However, my last week was kinda hell, constipated for more than 4 days and starting to get cramps, worse than before,my mental stability was a bit rough the 1st week. I'm giving it 3 months to see what happens, feeling hopeful as my body is adjusting!"

Bee1712 September 9, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Diane-35 for six months but decided to switch to Yaz as Diane-35's side effects were too much for me (bloating and intense migraines) although it did totally clear up my skin. Also side note, birth control affects everyone differently, my sister for example took it for her acne too, it did wonders and she had no side effects at all! I have am on my third packet of Yaz. I must say my skin has gone a little nuts. I am getting quite bad breakouts. But I have decided to wait it out a bit. From reading online I've noticed most people don't see any good improvement on their skin until the end of the third month. And apart from some tiredness I haven't really had any other side effects. Fingers crossed it helps sort out my skin."

Nu30 September 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on yaz about 2 to 3 years ago to cure acne and very heavy periods. It worked brilliantly for both but it has caused extreme weight gain for me. I gained 10kg (around 20lbs) in the first few months and now I am considered overweight on the BMI for the first time in my life. I have tried everything from gym to cutting out carbs and can't lose any weight. I put this down to being a Estrogen Dominant pill. I just had my period and do not plan to go back on it."

MummaR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I struggled with acne all of high school. It wasn't extreme in any way, but it was definitely a problem. I tried 2 different antibiotics and then 3 birth controls before yaz. The first 3 months I noticed a slow improvement in my skin. By the third month it was at least 10x better. I haven't gotten any more large pimples, and I used to get occasional patches of acne, and I haven't yet. It really has been great!"

sarah111111111 June 19, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Okay, so I started Yaz because I had really bad cystic acne that would not go away, no matter what I did, as well as irregular, heavy periods. So I went to my doctor and they put me on it. Did it work? Well, yes and no. My acne was worse than ever for a couple months, though it has pretty much gone away for good now. My periods are much lighter and regular, except for when I missed one. That didn't end well. I am three months in now, but then I heard that in Canada alone, many people have died from thrombosis directly linked to the use of Yaz. As such, I am discontinuing it as of the end of this month. As great as it is for my acne to be gone... A miracle cure for pimples is something I've decided isn't worth my life."

Mad Princess Mia June 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have struggled with acne since I was fifteen and nothing I would take or use helped it ever, and I did not want to take acutane. My doctor suggested I take birth control to help clear my skin and this has made my skin completely clear and I'm very glad. I did break out worse for the first three months but then my skin was completely clear, I did not gain weight in fact I lost two pounds at first, and it did make my boobs bigger, and they were sore at first but nothing terrible. The only problem I have is that it does make me really emotional the week before or the week after my period but nothing extreme, just irritability, sometimes crying at random things."

speezy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I tried the generic Gianvi but it was seriously like taking rage pills, so now I'm using the brand name even though insurance doesn't cover it. I started taking Yaz to help with my skin because I was breaking out really bad. I noticed a significant difference in my skin within the first month and now my skin is completely clear with the exception of the occasional bump or two around my period. I get the typical mood swings around my period but nothing too crazy. I have noticed I feel a little more anxious since I've started taking it but it isn't extreme. My boobs are much more full now, which I like, but I have gained a little weight (about 3-5 pounds) which has proven hard to get rid of it."

SlpKB January 20, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on yaz for about 3 months because of my severe acne. In the first two months my acne remained the same but my boobs increased in about a size and a half, which my doctor warned me about. It doesnt bother me as now my breast are fuller/ rounder however I have quite a few stretch marks. So I'd recommend using bio oil on your chest and hips for the first few months on yaz just in case this happenes to you. At around month 3 my skin is not breaking out anywhere near as much. I'm amazed by my skin, it's never been so good. Overall I have never been so happy with my skin and I haven't even finished my third month. I still feel it getting better every day. I have experienced no other side effects beside slight fatigue."

Anonymous January 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello I'm 21 years of age I've had combination moderate acne since I was 13 years old, every cosmetic face wash or doctor prescriptions like antibiotics all never worked but in fact made it worse. I then got told about Yaz so I decided to give it a shot, 2 months in now and my face is more clearer than its ever been in my life! but just have a couple pimples left on my neck which should disappear... I haven't even been eating healthy either have had lots of chocolate and maccas the last few weeks which is a bonus lol but I would still recommend to drink lots of water and excercise at least 30mins every second day at the very least. I've also stopped using face washes and moisturisers all together. Hope this helps "

AnnalieseAnderson January 11, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

" Yaz ruined my face"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Yaz for a year and a half. This pill for real ruined my skin. I have acne scars that will never go away. I hate it. I wish in the early months when it was ruining my skin that I had decided to stop taking it. Instead I read the reviews and thought if I just give it enough time things will improve. They didn't and now I'm stuck on the pill that's still giving me acne (albeit not as bad as before) too scared to stop. I feel like I'm being held hostage by Yaz. It also gives me my period two weeks out of the month. Worst decision of my life. I've never posted on something like this before – but the experience was so awful I thought I had to warn others. My advice is to listen to your body and if it's not working STOP!"

Melovett November 21, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the worst pill ever! It broke my entire face out. It made my acne sooooo much worst. I'm so upset with what has done to my face. I wish I didn't go on this pill at all seriously don't do it. It's so awful."

Essence92929 November 15, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Yaz when I started developing cystic acne whenever my period was close. It completely cleared up my face after 1 one month. For 1 year, I was symptom free, but afterwards started developing severe lethargy a week before my period. It would be so bad that I would just be walking around in a haze. I fell asleep in class, couldn't concentrate and worst of all, I couldn't drive in fear I'd crash. However, after my period started, this would go away. My breasts went from an A cup to a B cup as well. I eventually stopped taking Yaz due to the hazy PMS symptoms. My skin stayed clear until this very day. This pill changed my acne for the better for life. Couldn't be happier with the choice."

KristaAh November 10, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 20 years old. I've had moderate acne since I was 13. I've never had completely clear skin since that age. I needed to get on birth control and I was a bit nervous about the side effects. I chose Yaz because the claims said it would help clear acne. When I started my first pack my breast became sore and I was slightly nauseous. Nothing seemed to happen with my skin. By my second pack I started to break out, I wasn't sure if it was the birth control or just me. The nausea went away. By the fourth pack the breakout was at its worst. I was very frustrated and wanted to quit the birth control. But by the end of my fourth pack I noticed the acne was clearing. I am now on my fifth month with only a couple small pimples and my hopes are high!"

HollyDowney November 5, 2015