User Reviews for Provera

Provera has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 231 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Provera reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
6.7
Summary of Provera reviews 6.0 231 reviews

Reviews for Provera

Aline_Menezes · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2021

For Amenorrhea: “First, I'm from Brazil, so forgive my bad English =]. I have PCOS and decided to stop taking birth control pills 8 months ago, I know it's expected irregular periods for a while but I was on 70th day of my cycle...so I decided to take Provera for the first time ever(doctors here only prescribes metformin or bc pills for PCOS). I took 10mg for 7 days and 5 days after the last pill, my blood came!! Yay! It was a regular flow and light cramps, the only thing I noticed during the 7 days was food cravings and crazy dreams.”

Linkinslide · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been taking the provera 10mg once a day since March 20, 2021 because I have irregular bleeding and 2 fibroids. My period has not stopped or slowed down at all. Last month it was just seven days, but this month, it's been on for two weeks. It seems like it wants to stop but then I'll have spotting before full on bleeding and it seems to happen after I take the pill. I was told this medication would stop my period and correct the irregular bleeding but it has done nothing of the sort. I feel, if anything, it's causing me to continuously bleed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had heavy than usual periods, passing multiple clots. It finally sent me to the hospital to where I had to have a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin levels were at 4.7 and the should have been at 15. My GP said I should really see my OB/GYN. I took an ultrasound found out that I have multiple fibroids is the reason I was bleeding heavy. She gave me Provera to slow the bleeding. I take 10mg 2X a day only when my periods start . It has slowed to a crawl. This is a miracle, it’s working for me so far. I hope it continues to work.”

JosieL84 January 23, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “A drug I can rely on! I always get my period within 5 days of stopping Provera 10mg x 5 days. This time, it came on the morning of day 4. But get your diapers ready! It is extremely bloody! I am thankful for it kickstarting my cycle in hopes of a positive Frozen Embryo Transfer! I don't mind the heavy bleed and cramping. When you have infertility and amennorhea, a period can be a blessing, it can mean new hope for the coming cycle (I am a glass half full type person!)”

Mandy December 15, 2019

For Amenorrhea: “I missed my period for 3 months and was very worried and didn’t know what was going on in my system but after Provera for 10 days I didn’t start my period. But then after another 5 days my period just started. Just have patience after taking this drug - it really effective. I hope this helps someone”

OverTired · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been currently taking Provera 10mg for about 28 days now. At first it stopped the bleeding all together for the first week. Then I started to spot again and bleed. Now the bleeding is getting progressively heavier and the clots are getting larger, like they are huge. This is a nightmare. I'm having to empty my 25ml menstrual cup every hour or two. Hoping to get ahold of my OB by Monday. I'm feeling very weak and I have lots of cramping.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

For Amenorrhea: “I took Provera for 10 days at a dose of 10mg a day, prescribed by my fertility doctor with intentions to induce my period. My period was always regular up until recently. The side effects while on this drug were some pretty bad, mood swings, mild cramps on and off and breast soreness. A week after the dose ended and I still hadn’t gotten my period. Low and behold it arrived this morning. Thanks to this drug we can now continue our fertility journey. Have patience- it can really work. Now I’ve got a heavy period with horrid cramps- but it’s worth it!!!”

Connie June 22, 2019

For Amenorrhea: “I have PCOS and my doctor prescribed me with Provera for 14 days, 10mg per day and was told by my doctor that it will help me regulate my period. I remember taking it on May 17 and I was on it till May 31. I was told that I was gonna get my period after 3 days. I didn’t get it after that but I had light spotting a couple days after. I called my doctor she said I should get it very soon. Finally it came on June 9th it was still very light, days has passed and it started to get heavier. It’s June 21 now and I’m still bleeding. I have called my doctor to check with her if this is serious as I had never bled this much before of course it was very alarming. She told me that I had to wait until it subside and have an ultrasound. I am also experiencing mood changes, breakouts, cramps, breast tenderness, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and headaches, the side effects are not so bad but my main concern is the long period. Did anyone else had the same experience?”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on this med several times , I am 48 years old going through menopause and have had abnormal bleeding off and on for 2 years. From what I understand 10 days on this med is not going to make you stop bleeding. What it does is "clean" you out first before it thins the lining enough to stop the bleeding. When I take it I bleed worse for a couple weeks, clots come out and then it stops and stays stopped so all the ladies taking it for 10 days give it more time please. The cramps are bad during the "cleaning" phase also but trust me it will get better.”

Rachel · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I feel like everyone who left reviews here only left negative ones. But for me the provera pill helped me so much. I kept bleeding after my miscarriage at 8 weeks, for about 8 weeks - the bleeding was severe towards the end and I've had enough. My doctor gave me a 14 day supply of provera and I stopped bleeding after 1 pill. My cycle has been reset now, so this worked for me very well.”

Tabbi · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was 47 and one day my normal period wouldn’t stop for 3 months then got really heavy after two doctors ultrasounds bloodwork my doctor put me on Provera 10mg once a day everyday. After a month I stopped bleeding all together. I did this for 6 months and had no problems then I stopped taking them and expected problems but went 8 months no period thought finally menopause had arrived. I’m 49 almost 50 now and guess what showed up today. I’m calling today to get another prescription. Only issue I had was really bad headaches.”

Belle · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

For Amenorrhea: “So let's talk about Provera. I was put on this for not having a period for 10 months. Just remember that during the time you don't have a period in most cases your body is still producing that lining. I took it for a week (10mg a day) and got my period 3 days later. It is my far the worst period I've ever had. This is worse than any period I've had even the ones I had directly after giving birth. I've bled through pads and tampons multiple times and I'm only on day 4! I'm feeling nauseous and dizzy and weak, normal daily functions are hard at this point. I also feel very angry and withdrawn to the point of where I just want to be by myself and sleep. Oh not to mention the huge clots I've been passing. If this were considered a "normal period" I would have went to the hospital by now. The cramps are horrendous also. I will say if you are trying to get your period it does the job, just be prepared for one nightmareish period.”

Rosh · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

For Amenorrhea: “PCOS!!! Irregular periods and trying to conceive for 2nd 1, I was prescribed provera 10mg for 10 days so that my progesterone level could be monitored and from what i read from day 3-7 you get periods. Today day 6 and still no periods :(”

Tamara · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I am 48 years old and childless and started bleeding on January 2nd until February 12th. I went to the gynecologist and she prescribed 10mg provera for 21 days and my cycle regulated. Low and behoĺd I got pregnant with my first baby at the start of April. Its amazing! I have just begun a new journey and I look forward to every single step.”

HotDoll June 28, 2019

For Amenorrhea: “Hello! So I didn’t have normal periods and actually I missed my period for 4/5 years and on 6-13-2019 I took Provera for 10 days and on 6-25-2019 like magic my period is here today is 6-28-2019 and I’m still on my period so I would say if you don’t have a regular period this pill will definitely bring it back! Thank you !! Baby making time!!”

Chanty · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “I was missing my period for a year and 6 months my doctor recommended it and I took provera for the 5 days ...had my period on schedule every month since then (4 periods now) I would recommend to anyone”

Kate August 13, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “I have PCOS, and I take Provera every 3 months in order to get periods. I take 10mg for 7 days, and then a few days later I have my period. When I first started it, I would only take it for 5 days. When I took it for 5 days, my period wouldn’t come for TWO WEEKS. But then when the doctor said to try it for 7 days, my period came on day 9 (two days after taking it). I have no side effects from it, other than it makes me really hungry. But that goes away after a week or so. Works like a charm. Highly recommend for PCOS with no periods.”

aries81us March 8, 2008

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had abnormal uterine bleeding and I didn't know why. I started passing clots & was bleeding irregularly. I thought, at first, that I was having a miscarriage. I went to my GYN. She prescribed Provera 10mg once a day for 10 days. I just finished my prescription & the only problem that I'm having now is sensitive breast. Other than that, my bleeding has completely stopped.”

Sadoo119 April 19, 2021

For Amenorrhea: “Hi I'm trying to get pregnant for more than 8 years my fertility dr said I have a polyp in my uterus. My husband sperms count is low too. I have normally regular periods I'm 35 years old now. I had heavy bleeding that last more than 14 days then my fertility dr gave me Provera 10mg for 14 days on Feb 11 2021. My last pill was on Feb 25 or 26 . Period should be come back in a week after Provera.. 2 months passed no periods no symptoms, 3 negative pregnancy test. I m worried what is going on with me .”

Josie · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “I was on depo provera injection for 7 years, came off the injection and was missing my menstrual cycle for 7 months to follow. Husband & I are TTC, so OBGYN put me on provera 10mg x 7 days to strike my cycle. I had brown spotting lightly on day 6 and 7 after stopping provera, thought it didn’t work properly, called my doctor and got worried. Actual flow didn’t come until day 16 after stopping provera. The period was moderate, nothing extreme and lasted 3 days. We’re not quite sure if it was a provera withdraw bleed or my body getting back into function..but needless to say, it did something! Now hoping and waiting for a positive ovulation test! Be advised-It can take up to 3 weeks for a withdraw bleed from provera, give it some time!”

MrsW19 · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had been having spotting for 3 months so went to my doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound where they found I had a large polyp. Fast forward a couple of weeks I had a hysteroscopy and had the polyp removed. I was prescribed 10mg provera for 14 days in order to kick start my cycle back into normal rhythm. My period arrived 3 days after I stopped taking them and I am still bleeding 10 days later. The bleeding has been the heaviest I’ve ever had with huge clots I was changing my sanitary product every 30mins so I phoned my gp who prescribed Tranexamic acid to help slow the bleeding. I am on day 10 still bleeding and with horrific cramping when will this ever stop???”

Jmoney · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “I have PCOS and haven’t had regular (if any at all) periods for 2 years since coming off the contraceptive pill. Doctor prescribed me provera for 10 days and 2 days after finishing this 10 day course, I got my period. During the 10 days I had a little breast tenderness, cramping and moodiness but very mild.”

Luv4714 · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Amenorrhea: “I am 35 years old. No children, never been pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCOS IN 2014. I started taking this drug to jumpstart my period as it had been 3 almost 4 months without. My Dr. recommended I start birth control to try and regulate my period. I started this on April 15th. By April 22nd I started get pains on my upper right side almost cramping like near my rib cage. It’s been a week with these on and off again pains. I finished the medication on the 24th and started bleeding Tuesday. The pain still comes and goes. I am a little nervous as to what this could be. Anyone have this kind of experience with this drug?”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Hello I had previously commented and would like to do a follow up. I was bleeding for over a week and started taking Provera. My Dr. gives me 6 mos worth, not 10 days worth as I read over and over again on this forum (one 10mg pill once a day). I bled worse for 3 weeks and as of now for 5 days straight no bleeding at all. It just takes time to work. The cramping and bleeding were bad for the 3 weeks "cleaning out" phase. I felt horrible, but now I feel like a new woman. No cramps, no bleeding and other than a little fatigue, no side effects from the Provera. I was on this med 2 previous times and it worked the same both times. After I take it for a while I stop and let my body rest from it until I bleed again and my Dr. puts me on it again. I hope this is helpful!”

Ms Over It · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I do not recommend Provera for abnormal uterine bleeding. It caused me to bleed more and for a significantly longer time. The purpose of the provera prescription (dose two 10mg daily) was to reduce/stop my bleeding. I bled so much after taking it that I had to go to the ER because my blood count was dropping. My side effects were skin sensitivity, itching, hair shedding, loss of appetite and intense pains in my legs. It’s been an entire nightmare!”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I took provera for 21 days to treat very heavy non stop bleeding. I am 45. At first it drastically reduced my bleeding for a few days but the bleeding continued quite heavily again until the last 4 days of being on it.”

Julia · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Just wanted to share my experience with Provera. I was prescribed 20mg for 30 days. I had heavy bleeding with huge clots on 4th day of taking Provera. I was bleeding for two weeks while on Provera and then it stopped. Just give this medication the time, it works.”

Over it · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started bleeding July 15 and it’s now Sep 14 I went to my doctor they did an ultrasound they said everything looked fine blood work came back fine and that sometimes it’s just the way it is not knowing why I’m bleeding so much! Anyways I threw a fit with the doctor told her bleeding during intercourse and so much is not normal! She tried to tell me it was the positions we were doing and I said no, I just want to know why. So she prescribed provera 10mgs 1 tablet a day for 10 days. I am now on day 6 and the bleeding went from a little to so heavy I am changing my pads every hour! My cramps are unbearable and there is so many blood clots! I just emailed my doctor to see what she says fingers crossed that she can help give me answers!”