User Reviews for Provera

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Provera.

Amenorrhea

Birth Control
5.6

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
4.9

Endometriosis

Summary of Provera reviews 5.6 107 reviews

Reviews for Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had what I thought was going to be a normal period, (my periods have always been heavy), until it just never stopped. It got so bad I had palm size clots and bleeding so bad I had to use cut up towels with three pads. I made a trip to the ER, all blood work was normal. I already was taking 135mg of iron and vitamin c, so I wasn't anemic even though I was bleeding so bad. They sent me home with a prescription of Provera 10mg once a day. It slowed the bleeding down but never stopped it completely. Was referred to an endocrinologist, I'm due to have a ultrasound to check for fibroids, but have to have a endometrial biopsy. I was still on provera way past the 10 days it caused shortness of breath and bad weight gain. I had to stop it."

lfields339 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "November 2013 I had surgery to remove a 10-pound fibroid tumor, ever since then I have had irregular periods. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years with no luck. I have multiple ovarian cysts that are causing sharp shooting pain. I was just put on Provera 10mg for 6 days during day 16-21 last month. After the first day of taking it, I have been bleeding heavily; I have used a whole box of pads in less than 7 days of bleeding. I am used to having 1-3 day period, so this sucks major."

carrie84 November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Been on this medication for nearly week now. I am bleeding terribly, really bad cramping. I am 42 now and I have had in reg periods for 3yrs but now it's nightmare. It just feels like you are only person going through this it drags you down. Lady's any idea how long this pills take kick in to bring the bleeding to an end?"

deenjac (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "I was given this pill to take because I stopped having a period for 6 months. Put me on this for 10 days and the very first day of taking a pill I spotted. Then light period for 5 days. Then the next month. No period. So started taking the pills again. Not till the LAST pill was there blood. It was light at first for 3 days, now I have been bleeding So heavy non stop! I’ve been bleeding 10 days straight! Is something wrong? Called my doctor and they were “busy” said call back. Never did I can’t stand that office"

Tffny1980 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "54 yr, peri-menopause experiencing bleeding for 6 weeks. Was given 10 days 10mg provera. Never stopped bleeding, now it's Day 10. Now bloated, gained weight, ovaries have twinges of pain, menstrual cramps.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 24 and I went on provera on the 25 of last month because I'm was bleeding since the 05 of September and soaking though my pads every two to three hours. For me provera slowed down my period and stopped it for three days and now I'm just bleeding all over again still bleeding though pad in about one to one and half hour now and it hurts worse, I have cramping, bloating, nausea and clots are much bigger about the size of a golf ball and have been clotting ever since I started bleeding again. I had blood work done it came out normal. Next is an ultrasound and after that is a pelvic exam. I need help not more issues...I started bleeding on the 2 of October not even a day after my last pill and I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded"

Diana's October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Ok, I went on this 10 mg 2x a day for about 4 weeks now. I needed to start because I hemorrhaged so bad in a single day my Hemoglobin dropped from 12 - 9, and then to 8 as I continued to hemorrhage, for 2 weeks after. As a result of hemorrhaging, I could not breath, my heart was racing from dehydration, and my body used all of my iron and ferritin, and then started destroying bone marrow to try and make hemoglobin. I started provera when my hematologist started ferritin infusions, and was afraid ANY bleeding would kill me. This medication causes me shortness of breath, racing heart, rashes, lethargy, vomiting, muscle pain; oh an I have been spotting since I started it! I feel worse then when I was literally dying before taking it."

feritless (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Well I have been prescribed this medication before and I have had to go through blood clots and heavy cramps . But this time it's even heavier cramps and blood clots and using about 20 pads in 2 to 3 days. I feel so weak and it feels gross to even move or go anywhere in public. I'm also taking ibuprofen every 3 to 4 hours. What do y'all prefer on taking for the pain. Thank u everyone for your input. Have a great day."

Rerey1987 August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I use provera once a day for ten days on the eighth day I started getting pain like if something was just scraping by uterus out. However I haven't seen a period in six months (believe me I was happy at the point in time). Now TBH the use of provera in my case was to help with the shedding of the uterus which as not happen for six months so guys just saying pain is expected also heavy bleeding. However after 7 days of bleeding they but me on oral contraceptive and the bleeding stop two days after. However prior to this I also use povera before; I was having break through bleeding for nearly one year tbh it wasn't nice but because of being at school and time going in the hospital was just at the bottom of my list I look povera for 10days also."

Piki (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got a novasure ablation 5 years ago because of the heavy bleeding and having to change pads and tampons every hour. The gush feeling after changing while conducting a 15 min. meeting was unbearable. The ablation was the best thing ever until... i started bleeding again. My Dr. put me on Provera 2x daily for 7 days following 1x daily for 7 days. One day passed after completing the prescription and the heavy bleeding with huge clots worse than prior to the ablation, along with severe cramping, similar to contractions is making me regret ever taking this drug. Im on day 3 of heavy bleeding, severe cramping, terrible bloating that I have never experienced before. I'm feeling discouraged reading that some women bled heavy for more than 2 wks"

45momto4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was bleeding for 10 days and it got crazy heavy. I went to the doctor and she prescribed 30mg/ day for 7 days and then taper down to 20 for 7 day, then 10 for 7 days. This seems really crazy! Has anyone ever heard of this dose being prescribed?"

Courtcolor (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My last normal cycle was the 23rd of March 2017. On the 10th of April I started spotting on the 11th it stopped then I started spotting on the 14th then it stopped on the 15th then started bleeding on the 18th of April until the month ending very heavy and lots of clots. I went to the clinic and then sent me for a ultrasound and blood test I didn't have the money to do these so the following week I checked myself into the emergency room at the hospital they gave me provera to stop the bleeding which it stopped in 5 days of taking 2 pills 3 times a day. The scans came back negative of any growths. I started bleeding again on the 24th now taking provera prescribed at 2 pills 2 times its day 5 still bleeding from the 24th I'm so tired ....."

PinkKryptonite June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started my period in March. It's been mostly light bleeding but on Friday it got pretty heavy. By Tuesday I was in the ER because I was just passing softball sized ball every single time I stood up. I went to see my obgyn today and he prescribed me with provera. Prior to taking it, I was still passing huge clots and just overall felt miserable. I've barely had an appetite and just felt so tired. Within two hours of taking this pill, I could feel the difference. I had more energy, I don't feel stabbing pain in my lower back from cramps, and I don't feel like a waterfall is going to come pouring out of me when I stand up. I know this is only the first day and I still have 13 days to go on this pill, but so far it's been amazing."

Jlynnxoxo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was put on Provera for abnormal bleeding due to uterine fibroids. It didn't help with the bleeding only made it worst. I had clotting the size of a golf ball and bad cramping...was told by nurse it can take up to 10 days for it to work well I was on it for 14 days and nothing changed."

D Robinson2798 April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding for 42 days. When I was at 31 days bleeding I went to my doc and he gave me 10mg provera for 10 days, I started the pill on a Thursday and Saturday and Sunday no bleeding so I was super excited! Monday I started bleeding again and have been ever since which is now 42 days. Had bloodwork and ultrasound just to be told all is normal. Anyone else experience this??"

Canadiangirl79 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "From January 2015 my period started being irregular and I haven't had my period since June last year (2016). My doctor recommended provera, 5mg for 10 days. My period came 4 days after the last pill. Am so happy and I hope it becomes regular again."

Faith5683 February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "First time on provera and I must say I'm very drowsy. I've always had irregular periods and my obgyn prescribe provera for me... keeping my fingers crossed "

Kiki1820 February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "I took the depo shot for a year and a half. I got off 5 years ago and still have had irregular periods which isn't normal for me. After seeing a obgyn she just told me to wait around and change my diet. Six months later I'm still not having regular cycles. So I changed my obgyn and I love her to pieces! She told me that she'll put me on the provera 5 day challenge I started yesterday upon taking the pill i already felt pms symptoms especially cramping. I'll update later as I'm going into my third day"

CrowLife (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 52 years old and clearly have been through the change of life. I've had no period for years. All of a sudden, I have some spotting so I go to my doctor. He does a surgical procedure to scrape the lining of my uterus and then puts me on 2, 10 mg Medroxyprogesterone a day, for 20 days. Four days after my last pill the bleeding started. I have NEVER had such a bad period in all of my 52 years of life! I have had 3 children and this is worse than the labor of all three!! I will NEVER take that medicine again!! They can do a hysterectomy and take the womb I haven't needed in decades. I can't even leave the house because when I stand up, I gush blood!! Roll over in bed, gush blood!! Not Happy!! Why didn't my doctor warn me about this?????"

GrumpyGranny (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "I was prescribed Provera for 10 days at 6pm every day. I have had no period since my early 20's and then it was only on meds. I have long history of hormonal problems and have been diagnosed with Amenohrrea as many of you, and I have been in and out of IVF specialist clinics while they all tried to sell me theirs since and no one would actually help or give hope to concieve but they were all quick to say that I had premature Ovarian failure however, I never gave up and found a Dr. a fertility specialist and although I am over weight, have been found to have thyroid issues, and have a thin endometrium with high I repeat high levels of Estrogen. I was prescribed this little pill aka Provera. So ladies do not loose hope, ask God & trust!"

V007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "April 2016 out of the blue after having normal cycles and 5 pregnancies, I started hemorrhage and passing softball size clots. My doctor started me on 10 mg provera and that slowed down the bleeding. It has been 42 continuous days of bleeding then they raised the provera to 20 mg. They worked for two months then started spotting. They raised to 30. Well now I'm on 40 mg.. I'm not liking some of the mood side effects. I'm not sure if this medication is for me.."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had pcos since I was a teen, very irregular periods dr says I don't ovulate. High school sweet heart and I got married and we want children. It's very difficult having pcos. Dr proscribed provera to induce a period. She said it would shed the lining and would be like starting "new". Took 1 pill a day for 7 days. Took 3 days to start my period after last pill. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I've had severe bleeding for several days and large blood clots. I soak through at least 2 super plus tampons an hour. It leaks so bad through the tampon I have to also wear pads. Pads have rubbed me raw and the baby bleeding and constant changing of tampons has made me raw from the top of my vagina to my butthole. I'm very weak and dizzy."

Pcos (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea "I went without a period for 7 years and also had other fertility issues. If I didn't get prescibed this medication I wouldn't have been able to conceive. I don't remember having side effects because I was so happy I got my cycle! The first time I took provera it took 2+ weeks to get my period I thought it hadn't worked but to my surprise It had! So happy my obgyn prescribed me this."

Provera=life (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 39 years old my whole life I had normal periods some months the cramping was awful but they were regular same time every month then about 2 years ago they began coming earlier every month I was having 1 twice a month I saw my Gyno 5 months ago (July) who did ultrasound said it all looked normal I was back in Oct the bleeding was getting worse he prescribed Provera 10mg once a day to start when I began bleeding again he said it would stop the bleeding so I did as instructed and bled for 10 days straight it stopped only to return 9 days later for another 9 days, stopped for a week then started again the 17th of this month(Nov) this time it started brown in color it is the 30th STILL bleeding"

twina77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on this For 5 YEARS UNTIL My DOCOTR MADE ME Get Off SINCE THIS CAUSES low bone density. I regret being on it so long but was scared to try anything else and get pregnant. Pros- no periods/cramps and no pregnancy Cons-weight gain. I was a soccer player my entire high school career and walked everywhere. I gained 40 pounds in 5 year period. 20 pounds first year. It didn't stop. I went from 150 lbs to 206. At this point I wanted to get off and I reached 5 year limit. I HIGHLY DO NOT RECCOMMEND"

Momma_bear12345 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 21, 2016