How long after having a Depo Provera shot can you have unprotected sex?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 14, 2022.
I just started Depo-Provera about a week ago during my period and I stopped bleeding. My question is how long do you have to be on the shot before you can have unprotected sex? And is there any medicine that can mess up the Depo-Provera shot?
If you had your shot during the first five days of your period then you have immediate protection from pregnancy.
There are medicine and herbal products that can interfere with the effectiveness of Depo-Provera.
Some of these more common medicines include:
St. John's wort
Always check with your doctor or pharmacist if you need to take a medicine while on Depo-Provera.
Related medical questions
- Why is my poop green? What does this mean?
- My stool has changed color. What does it mean?
- Can antibiotics delay or make your period late?
- What are my options for birth control and how effective are they?
- How long do antibiotics affect birth control?
- Why are my nipples sore? 7 possible causes
- What should I expect after a Mirena IUD removal?
- Do antibiotics affect the morning after pill?
- What are the signs that Plan B didn't work?
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- When do I start taking Diane pills for birth control?
Related support groups
- Depo-Provera (150 questions, 1,492 members)
- Provera (85 questions, 419 members)
- Birth Control (453 questions, 3,676 members)
- Bleeding Disorder (51 questions, 326 members)