How long after having a Depo Provera shot can you have unprotected sex?
I just started Depo-Provera about a week ago during my period and I stopped bleeding. My question is how long do you have to be on the shot before you can have unprotected sex? And is there any medicine that can mess up the Depo-Provera shot?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 23, 2020.
If you had your shot during the first five days of your period then you have immediate protection from pregnancy.
There are medicine and herbal products that can interfere with the effectiveness of Depo-Provera.
Some of these more common medicines include:
St. John's wort
Always check with your doctor or pharmacist if you need to take a medicine while on Depo-Provera.
Related Medical Questions
- Why is my poop green? What does this mean?
- My stool has changed color. What does it mean?
- Why are my nipples sore? 7 possible causes
- Do antibiotics affect the morning after pill?
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- Can antibiotics delay or make your period late?
- When do I start taking Diane pills for birth control?