User Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Provera has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 105 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 32% of those users who reviewed Provera reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Provera Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera

Linkinslide · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2021

“I've been taking the provera 10mg once a day since March 20, 2021 because I have irregular bleeding and 2 fibroids. My period has not stopped or slowed down at all. Last month it was just seven days, but this month, it's been on for two weeks. It seems like it wants to stop but then I'll have spotting before full on bleeding and it seems to happen after I take the pill. I was told this medication would stop my period and correct the irregular bleeding but it has done nothing of the sort. I feel, if anything, it's causing me to continuously bleed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2021

“I had heavy than usual periods, passing multiple clots. It finally sent me to the hospital to where I had to have a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin levels were at 4.7 and the should have been at 15. My GP said I should really see my OB/GYN. I took an ultrasound found out that I have multiple fibroids is the reason I was bleeding heavy. She gave me Provera to slow the bleeding. I take 10mg 2X a day only when my periods start . It has slowed to a crawl. This is a miracle, it’s working for me so far. I hope it continues to work.”

Tamara · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2021

“I am 48 years old and childless and started bleeding on January 2nd until February 12th. I went to the gynecologist and she prescribed 10mg provera for 21 days and my cycle regulated. Low and behoĺd I got pregnant with my first baby at the start of April. Its amazing! I have just begun a new journey and I look forward to every single step.”

OverTired · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

“I've been currently taking Provera 10mg for about 28 days now. At first it stopped the bleeding all together for the first week. Then I started to spot again and bleed. Now the bleeding is getting progressively heavier and the clots are getting larger, like they are huge. This is a nightmare. I'm having to empty my 25ml menstrual cup every hour or two. Hoping to get ahold of my OB by Monday. I'm feeling very weak and I have lots of cramping.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2019

“I have been on this med several times , I am 48 years old going through menopause and have had abnormal bleeding off and on for 2 years. From what I understand 10 days on this med is not going to make you stop bleeding. What it does is "clean" you out first before it thins the lining enough to stop the bleeding. When I take it I bleed worse for a couple weeks, clots come out and then it stops and stays stopped so all the ladies taking it for 10 days give it more time please. The cramps are bad during the "cleaning" phase also but trust me it will get better.”

Rachel · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

“I feel like everyone who left reviews here only left negative ones. But for me the provera pill helped me so much. I kept bleeding after my miscarriage at 8 weeks, for about 8 weeks - the bleeding was severe towards the end and I've had enough. My doctor gave me a 14 day supply of provera and I stopped bleeding after 1 pill. My cycle has been reset now, so this worked for me very well.”

Tabbi · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2020

“I was 47 and one day my normal period wouldn’t stop for 3 months then got really heavy after two doctors ultrasounds bloodwork my doctor put me on Provera 10mg once a day everyday. After a month I stopped bleeding all together. I did this for 6 months and had no problems then I stopped taking them and expected problems but went 8 months no period thought finally menopause had arrived. I’m 49 almost 50 now and guess what showed up today. I’m calling today to get another prescription. Only issue I had was really bad headaches.”

aries81us March 8, 2008

“I had abnormal uterine bleeding and I didn't know why. I started passing clots & was bleeding irregularly. I thought, at first, that I was having a miscarriage. I went to my GYN. She prescribed Provera 10mg once a day for 10 days. I just finished my prescription & the only problem that I'm having now is sensitive breast. Other than that, my bleeding has completely stopped.”

MrsW19 · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2021

“I had been having spotting for 3 months so went to my doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound where they found I had a large polyp. Fast forward a couple of weeks I had a hysteroscopy and had the polyp removed. I was prescribed 10mg provera for 14 days in order to kick start my cycle back into normal rhythm. My period arrived 3 days after I stopped taking them and I am still bleeding 10 days later. The bleeding has been the heaviest I’ve ever had with huge clots I was changing my sanitary product every 30mins so I phoned my gp who prescribed Tranexamic acid to help slow the bleeding. I am on day 10 still bleeding and with horrific cramping when will this ever stop???”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2019

“Hello I had previously commented and would like to do a follow up. I was bleeding for over a week and started taking Provera. My Dr. gives me 6 mos worth, not 10 days worth as I read over and over again on this forum (one 10mg pill once a day). I bled worse for 3 weeks and as of now for 5 days straight no bleeding at all. It just takes time to work. The cramping and bleeding were bad for the 3 weeks "cleaning out" phase. I felt horrible, but now I feel like a new woman. No cramps, no bleeding and other than a little fatigue, no side effects from the Provera. I was on this med 2 previous times and it worked the same both times. After I take it for a while I stop and let my body rest from it until I bleed again and my Dr. puts me on it again. I hope this is helpful!”

Ms Over It · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

“I do not recommend Provera for abnormal uterine bleeding. It caused me to bleed more and for a significantly longer time. The purpose of the provera prescription (dose two 10mg daily) was to reduce/stop my bleeding. I bled so much after taking it that I had to go to the ER because my blood count was dropping. My side effects were skin sensitivity, itching, hair shedding, loss of appetite and intense pains in my legs. It’s been an entire nightmare!”

Julia · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2021

“Just wanted to share my experience with Provera. I was prescribed 20mg for 30 days. I had heavy bleeding with huge clots on 4th day of taking Provera. I was bleeding for two weeks while on Provera and then it stopped. Just give this medication the time, it works.”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“I took provera for 21 days to treat very heavy non stop bleeding. I am 45. At first it drastically reduced my bleeding for a few days but the bleeding continued quite heavily again until the last 4 days of being on it.”

Over it · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

“I started bleeding July 15 and it’s now Sep 14 I went to my doctor they did an ultrasound they said everything looked fine blood work came back fine and that sometimes it’s just the way it is not knowing why I’m bleeding so much! Anyways I threw a fit with the doctor told her bleeding during intercourse and so much is not normal! She tried to tell me it was the positions we were doing and I said no, I just want to know why. So she prescribed provera 10mgs 1 tablet a day for 10 days. I am now on day 6 and the bleeding went from a little to so heavy I am changing my pads every hour! My cramps are unbearable and there is so many blood clots! I just emailed my doctor to see what she says fingers crossed that she can help give me answers!”

P · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“I was prescribed these to delay my period for 3 weeks whilst on holiday, they delayed it for about 7 days but I still got my period then had heavy, irregular bleeding for approximately 2 months. I have PCOS so my periods are extremely irregular but only last 5 days and are light to normal. This medication wasn't any good for me at all and along with the spontaneous, heavy bleeding I had terrible pain and large clots. I'll never take them again. I've had northisterone in the past to delay my period and they were brilliant. This is just my experience and every woman is different.”

T July 7, 2019

“I’m a 27 yr old woman I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 25 but always had irregular periods last May I had a tube removed because of it ruptured due to ectopic pregnancy. Around April I missed my period and it did not come for a month and a half then I started spotting for weeks I finally went to the doctor and they prescribed a birth control pill 2 a day for 2 weeks which did not work and caused the bleeding to get heavier after I finished the pills. It also caused me to have lower back paid tender breast and diarrhea everyday. Now I’m on Provera 10 for 10 days. Currently on day 3 the cramps are horrible and the bleeding is super heavy and I still have all the same symptoms plus a headache similar to a hangover. I am so tired of bleeding and being told it’s normal. I feel so depressed and hopeless. I’m going to stick with it though because it’s my only hope atm”

Canadiangirl79 · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2017

“I have been bleeding for 42 days. When I was at 31 days bleeding I went to my doc and he gave me 10mg provera for 10 days, I started the pill on a Thursday and Saturday and Sunday no bleeding so I was super excited! Monday I started bleeding again and have been ever since which is now 42 days. Had bloodwork and ultrasound just to be told all is normal. Anyone else experience this??”

Ceecee October 14, 2019

“I bleed for 3 months straight with blood clots that where as big as a strawberry. Dr put me on provera to stop my period, the dose was 2 pills a day for 30 days It worked... Then. The next month I didn't bleed for 2 months Dr put me back on provera to start period for 10 days and it worked again.”

Best ever drug · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2016

“This medicine has been a complete life changer for me. Having heavy periods 4 months non stop bleeding I am 40 years old. I was prescribed 10 milligrams for 10 days. If it wasn't for this medicine my everyday life would be unbearable. Some drugs aren't for everyone. This one is by far the best. Everyone says it can cause cancer it has bad side effects. Doesn't everything in life cause cancer and have bad side effects this drug is so helpful prolonged uterine bleeding I would recommend this to anyone. This medicine save me from a complete hysterectomy so why everyone voices their opinions on it don't take it go on and bleed and deal with it and quit complaining about it maybe if it wasn't for the stress in your life your periods would be reg”

Ree May 4, 2019

“I took Provera 5mg for abnormal uterine bleeding. Basically my period went on for almost three weeks. I went to the hospital (had a ultrasound & everything was fine.) they told me to take the pills for 7 days once a day. I took 2 a day for 3 days & the last pill on the 4th day. I'm a heavy set girl so 10mg wouldn’t have hurt me. The first day I took them I took them in the morning & by the afternoon the bleeding stopped. Throughout me taking the medication I had no bleeding. Three days after the last pill was taken my period came on. I just woke up one morning & I was spotting. By that night I was bleeding very heavy. I wanna say the heaviest I ever been but most of it was blood clots. All sizes. That went on for about 5 days then the 6th morning it almost instantly stopped. I was spotting very lightly & by that night it completely stopped. I’m a 20 year old by the way. Have not been diagnosed with PCOS or any of the sort.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

“Good evening, I stated my cycle like normal only it lasted over a month. I freaked and went to the Doctor because I was going insane. Got given a 14 day course of Provera and I've been taking it for 2 days now and the bleeding has stopped completely. I'm scared that if I stop taking it I'll start to bleed again. I have to go back to get the ultrasound to figure out what happened. I've always had irregular periods but normally I just would skip 3 or 4 months. And start lasting 4-5 days most of the time it's stress. This time it started and was beyond heavy. Not a lot of pain thought. I wish everyone hope. For the madness we all share.. thanks for the comments. It's helped me a lot..”

Lee June 12, 2019

“I'm 41ys old I've been taking provera for a month now it stopped my bleeding the first month but then it came back in full force, and I haven't stop bleeding yet and its been a month. I was put on it because of my anemia and fibroids because my blood was low due to the lost of blood. I have been feeling very weak and bleeding heavy and having horrible pain, going back to the doctors due to the pain and bleeding I can not take the pain and I stop taking the pill.”

Tk · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

“Thanks to everyone who shared. I’m 43, no history of menstrual irregularity. Missed a period in August, it arrived in early October and I’ve bled since then. Very heavy with clots. To the point I struggle with working and can’t exercise. Pelvic ultrasound normal. Doc wants me to have a hysteroscopy. I’m terrified it’s something sinister. Reading all your stories has given me hope.”

sparr0w March 5, 2011

“I was having severe bleeding with large clots which lasted for 3 weeks. Finally saw the Doctor and he gave me 10mg for 10 days. This is day 9. I stopped bleeding 2 days ago. I love this medicine, really. I'm hungry more often, but that's okay. Unsure what will happen when I stop taking it.”

Cici · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2018

“Was prescribed this drug once a day for heavy bleeding that would not stop. I am 48 years old and I guess going through the change. It took 3 weeks but this med made the bleeding go away. To the ladies that have only been taking a few days and still bleeding, give it some time before you give up.”

Mels · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“I have been taking Provera since July 2019. I have had heavy periods for years and started a very irregular pattern in Dec 2018. The doctor put me on it to thin out my lining and correct a hormonal imbalance. I've had one period that was very light in Sept and haven't had another one. I am having a D&C for a polyp removal and am hoping I am finally done with heavy bleeding. Provera has saved my sanity.”

Mooch · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

“I am 46 and live on the UK, i've just been put on this Provera medication today. I have had numerous blood tests and have have been told that I am on my way to menopause, kick started after having my left ovary removed due to a cyst in 2015. I have been lucky in the sense that periods weren't too bad for me growing up, but over the last couple of years they have been very irregular. Lately though, I have had quite heavy flooding and are awaiting an appointment to have an hysteroscopy. My last period finished Christmas eve and since then I have had spotting every day, sometimes a lot. Hot flushes, headaches and irratic sleeping patterns. I am taking prescribed iron tablets and vitamin D as I feel exhausted. So, today the doctor put me on Provera, 2 tablets a day. I am hoping that they will help.”

Anonymous - UK · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

“Provera did not work for me. When I had my last period, before the operation to get fibroids removed, I had some really heavy period bleeding, I could not leave home. I had to go to A&E where a GP prescribed Provera to me. The drug calmed the bleeding down for a few days but it never stopped it. On some days I would have a really heavy bleeding with massive clots. During 2 weeks I had to visit A&E a couple of times again trying to explain that the drug is not working. I was assured again and again that since my operation is taking place in a couple of weeks, there was no point of changing the drug. In my third week of bleeding it became extremely bad, it was pouring out non-stop for hours. I ended up in A&E again where I collapsed at the reception and was admitted to hospital. I was given an injection of Tranexamic acid that stopped the bleeding and I was prescribed Norethisterone instead which worked much better!”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding