User Reviews for Provera

Provera Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"So I finished my 10 treatment on the 13th of this month let me start by saying oh my goodness. I really thought something was wrong with me the cramping - the CRAMPING was horrible, extremely painful I missed a day of work it was so bad. Then the bleeding like I couldn't believe I had this much I had to buy 2nd box of tampons and pads UGHHHHH. I'm on my 9th day of bleeding and its flowing like a faucet. I am just ready for it to go off my goodness."

Wanda June 17, 2018

"I'm 44, I have had symptoms of menorrhagia for several years now. I was hospitalized because my hemoglobin was 5, received a couple of blood transfusions and iron during that stay. I was then referred to an OBGYN who put me on Provera 10 mg, twice a day. As I was about to start a period and already spotting, I noticed when I started Provera it stopped that and it was fantastic. Well it's now 2 weeks and 2 days after a D&C and I'm bleeding pretty heavily with large size and numerous clots, and not cramps but pain and pressure. I kind of lost track of when my actual period should start, so I don't know if what I'm experiencing is the Provera trying to normalize my previously terrible periods, because they were much worse than this, but this is still pretty bad. If I am having a period on Provera right now, it's not doing a whole lot for me anymore."

Jackie May 13, 2018

"Was prescribed this drug once a day for heavy bleeding that would not stop. I am 48 years old and I guess going through the change. It took 3 weeks but this med made the bleeding go away. To the ladies that have only been taking a few days and still bleeding, give it some time before you give up."

Cici (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

"Hi everyone OMG! I was freaking out because after the 10 days of provera 10mg I took I thought I would be ok, but after 2 days of taking the 10 day treatment my period is like running water even when I was in my heavy days I would never wake up to a stained bed and this morning it was soaking. I don't have much clots and the ones I have are small but my period lasts for 7 days and today is my 6th day and still going heavy. I hope it goes away by the 7th day. For sure I'm going to stop taking any vitamins and any pills I take that could probably make my period even more heavy. Just till this period goes away. Oh it has many side affects mine were pimples, headache, sleepiness, spotting, and shortness of breath. I Really hope after this period my next ones are light after all its like a period cleanser."

Amy (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"53 yo, abnormal prolonged bleeding clots flooding. I had scans that showed thickened wall lining on uterus 14mm plus fibroids . Prescribed 10mg Provera x twice daily for 3 months. Next scan showed huge reduction down to 6mm thickness and greatly reduced size of fibroids. A success on this side of things. Not so much for the bleeding. Will be patient."

Zenthy February 4, 2018

"I started taking this medication as I had terrible heavy flooding and felt awful, my period had been going on for a month prior to the heavy bleeding, I have dominant estrogen, I am a 50 year old peri-menopausal woman. After the first dose of 20mg there was already a dramatic improvement and I have been on it for over a week at a dose of 60mg per day and have had no side effects. So for me it is amazing!!!"

takemylead December 27, 2017

"I had what I thought was going to be a normal period, (my periods have always been heavy), until it just never stopped. It got so bad I had palm size clots and bleeding so bad I had to use cut up towels with three pads. I made a trip to the ER, all blood work was normal. I already was taking 135mg of iron and vitamin c, so I wasn't anemic even though I was bleeding so bad. They sent me home with a prescription of Provera 10mg once a day. It slowed the bleeding down but never stopped it completely. Was referred to an endocrinologist, I'm due to have a ultrasound to check for fibroids, but have to have a endometrial biopsy. I was still on provera way past the 10 days it caused shortness of breath and bad weight gain. I had to stop it."

lfields339 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

"November 2013 I had surgery to remove a 10-pound fibroid tumor, ever since then I have had irregular periods. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years with no luck. I have multiple ovarian cysts that are causing sharp shooting pain. I was just put on Provera 10mg for 6 days during day 16-21 last month. After the first day of taking it, I have been bleeding heavily; I have used a whole box of pads in less than 7 days of bleeding. I am used to having 1-3 day period, so this sucks major."

carrie84 November 5, 2017

"Been on this medication for nearly week now. I am bleeding terribly, really bad cramping. I am 42 now and I have had in reg periods for 3yrs but now it's nightmare. It just feels like you are only person going through this it drags you down. Lady's any idea how long this pills take kick in to bring the bleeding to an end?"

deenjac (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

"54 yr, peri-menopause experiencing bleeding for 6 weeks. Was given 10 days 10mg provera. Never stopped bleeding, now it's Day 10. Now bloated, gained weight, ovaries have twinges of pain, menstrual cramps.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

"I am 24 and I went on provera on the 25 of last month because I'm was bleeding since the 05 of September and soaking though my pads every two to three hours. For me provera slowed down my period and stopped it for three days and now I'm just bleeding all over again still bleeding though pad in about one to one and half hour now and it hurts worse, I have cramping, bloating, nausea and clots are much bigger about the size of a golf ball and have been clotting ever since I started bleeding again. I had blood work done it came out normal. Next is an ultrasound and after that is a pelvic exam. I need help not more issues...I started bleeding on the 2 of October not even a day after my last pill and I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded"

Diana's October 6, 2017

"Ok, I went on this 10 mg 2x a day for about 4 weeks now. I needed to start because I hemorrhaged so bad in a single day my Hemoglobin dropped from 12 - 9, and then to 8 as I continued to hemorrhage, for 2 weeks after. As a result of hemorrhaging, I could not breath, my heart was racing from dehydration, and my body used all of my iron and ferritin, and then started destroying bone marrow to try and make hemoglobin. I started provera when my hematologist started ferritin infusions, and was afraid ANY bleeding would kill me. This medication causes me shortness of breath, racing heart, rashes, lethargy, vomiting, muscle pain; oh an I have been spotting since I started it! I feel worse then when I was literally dying before taking it."

feritless (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

"Well I have been prescribed this medication before and I have had to go through blood clots and heavy cramps . But this time it's even heavier cramps and blood clots and using about 20 pads in 2 to 3 days. I feel so weak and it feels gross to even move or go anywhere in public. I'm also taking ibuprofen every 3 to 4 hours. What do y'all prefer on taking for the pain. Thank u everyone for your input. Have a great day."

Rerey1987 August 5, 2017

"I use provera once a day for ten days on the eighth day I started getting pain like if something was just scraping by uterus out. However I haven't seen a period in six months (believe me I was happy at the point in time). Now TBH the use of provera in my case was to help with the shedding of the uterus which as not happen for six months so guys just saying pain is expected also heavy bleeding. However after 7 days of bleeding they but me on oral contraceptive and the bleeding stop two days after. However prior to this I also use povera before; I was having break through bleeding for nearly one year tbh it wasn't nice but because of being at school and time going in the hospital was just at the bottom of my list I look povera for 10days also."

Piki (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

"I got a novasure ablation 5 years ago because of the heavy bleeding and having to change pads and tampons every hour. The gush feeling after changing while conducting a 15 min. meeting was unbearable. The ablation was the best thing ever until... i started bleeding again. My Dr. put me on Provera 2x daily for 7 days following 1x daily for 7 days. One day passed after completing the prescription and the heavy bleeding with huge clots worse than prior to the ablation, along with severe cramping, similar to contractions is making me regret ever taking this drug. Im on day 3 of heavy bleeding, severe cramping, terrible bloating that I have never experienced before. I'm feeling discouraged reading that some women bled heavy for more than 2 wks"

45momto4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

"I was bleeding for 10 days and it got crazy heavy. I went to the doctor and she prescribed 30mg/ day for 7 days and then taper down to 20 for 7 day, then 10 for 7 days. This seems really crazy! Has anyone ever heard of this dose being prescribed?"

Courtcolor (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

"I started my period in March. It's been mostly light bleeding but on Friday it got pretty heavy. By Tuesday I was in the ER because I was just passing softball sized ball every single time I stood up. I went to see my obgyn today and he prescribed me with provera. Prior to taking it, I was still passing huge clots and just overall felt miserable. I've barely had an appetite and just felt so tired. Within two hours of taking this pill, I could feel the difference. I had more energy, I don't feel stabbing pain in my lower back from cramps, and I don't feel like a waterfall is going to come pouring out of me when I stand up. I know this is only the first day and I still have 13 days to go on this pill, but so far it's been amazing."

Jlynnxoxo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

"I was put on Provera for abnormal bleeding due to uterine fibroids. It didn't help with the bleeding only made it worst. I had clotting the size of a golf ball and bad cramping...was told by nurse it can take up to 10 days for it to work well I was on it for 14 days and nothing changed."

D Robinson2798 April 25, 2017

"I have been bleeding for 42 days. When I was at 31 days bleeding I went to my doc and he gave me 10mg provera for 10 days, I started the pill on a Thursday and Saturday and Sunday no bleeding so I was super excited! Monday I started bleeding again and have been ever since which is now 42 days. Had bloodwork and ultrasound just to be told all is normal. Anyone else experience this??"

Canadiangirl79 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

"I am 52 years old and clearly have been through the change of life. I've had no period for years. All of a sudden, I have some spotting so I go to my doctor. He does a surgical procedure to scrape the lining of my uterus and then puts me on 2, 10 mg Medroxyprogesterone a day, for 20 days. Four days after my last pill the bleeding started. I have NEVER had such a bad period in all of my 52 years of life! I have had 3 children and this is worse than the labor of all three!! I will NEVER take that medicine again!! They can do a hysterectomy and take the womb I haven't needed in decades. I can't even leave the house because when I stand up, I gush blood!! Roll over in bed, gush blood!! Not Happy!! Why didn't my doctor warn me about this?????"

GrumpyGranny (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

"April 2016 out of the blue after having normal cycles and 5 pregnancies, I started hemorrhage and passing softball size clots. My doctor started me on 10 mg provera and that slowed down the bleeding. It has been 42 continuous days of bleeding then they raised the provera to 20 mg. They worked for two months then started spotting. They raised to 30. Well now I'm on 40 mg.. I'm not liking some of the mood side effects. I'm not sure if this medication is for me.."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

"I've had pcos since I was a teen, very irregular periods dr says I don't ovulate. High school sweet heart and I got married and we want children. It's very difficult having pcos. Dr proscribed provera to induce a period. She said it would shed the lining and would be like starting "new". Took 1 pill a day for 7 days. Took 3 days to start my period after last pill. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I've had severe bleeding for several days and large blood clots. I soak through at least 2 super plus tampons an hour. It leaks so bad through the tampon I have to also wear pads. Pads have rubbed me raw and the baby bleeding and constant changing of tampons has made me raw from the top of my vagina to my butthole. I'm very weak and dizzy."

Pcos (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"I am 39 years old my whole life I had normal periods some months the cramping was awful but they were regular same time every month then about 2 years ago they began coming earlier every month I was having 1 twice a month I saw my Gyno 5 months ago (July) who did ultrasound said it all looked normal I was back in Oct the bleeding was getting worse he prescribed Provera 10mg once a day to start when I began bleeding again he said it would stop the bleeding so I did as instructed and bled for 10 days straight it stopped only to return 9 days later for another 9 days, stopped for a week then started again the 17th of this month(Nov) this time it started brown in color it is the 30th STILL bleeding"

twina77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

"After giving birth to my son in 2003, I refused to take any kind of birth control pill/shots. I've had irregular periods for years until last year when I started bleeding heavily, soaking up my pads within an hour up to the point that blood came rushing down my legs. I was afraid that maybe I had tumors or fibroids and maybe I needed surgery. Doctor gave me an ultrasound and found nothing wrong with my uterus. He gave me Provera 10 mg, once a day for 14 days. Took it for 2 months and had an absence of period for about 6 months. Had regular periods for 5 months and started again so I saw another doctor last month and told me to take provera again. I'm just waiting for my period to be over that way I can be comfortable again."

KatieKat1983 September 15, 2016

"This medicine has been a complete life changer for me. Having heavy periods 4 months non stop bleeding I am 40 years old. I was prescribed 10 milligrams for 10 days. If it wasn't for this medicine my everyday life would be unbearable. Some drugs aren't for everyone. This one is by far the best. Everyone says it can cause cancer it has bad side effects. Doesn't everything in life cause cancer and have bad side effects this drug is so helpful prolonged uterine bleeding I would recommend this to anyone. This medicine save me from a complete hysterectomy so why everyone voices their opinions on it don't take it go on and bleed and deal with it and quit complaining about it maybe if it wasn't for the stress in your life your periods would be reg"

Best ever drug (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2016