User Reviews for Provera

Learn more about Provera.

Provera Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I'm a 31 year old diagnosed with PCOS. I've been having irregular periods since the age of 15. They put me on birth control which regulated them. Now older they are worried about my blood pressure and blood clots. The longest I've gone without a period is a year and a half. The last 3 months ive had spotting everyday. Dr put me on Provera 10 pills every 3 months. I got my period on the 4th day of taking pills and am now dealing with debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding and clotting bigger than quarter size. I bleed through a tampon and pad every hour. Had to leave work early today because I bled through my pants in a matter of 30 minutes. It's been like this for 3 days and is unbearable. When will it end?"

Kookygrl21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2016

"I have bled 60+ days. I am on day two of provera. The nausea, cramping, diarrhea, bloating, and vaginal dryness is horrible, I have stopped bleeding though. I am scheduled for 10mg for 10 days for the next three months."

Emily1234 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

"I'm 62 and have had spotty bleeding for the last 12 years, AFTER menopause had definitely set in. Recently the bleeding has intensified with cramps and small clots. Obviously something is wrong, but I need to get the bleeding under control first. The doctor prescribed the Provera 10 mg once daily for 10 days. It seemed to stop the bleeding if I took it to the exact hour every day, but if I missed a dose by a couple hours, then bleeding again. So I doubled the dose and started taking 1 tablet every 12-18 hours, which helped, mostly. The cramps have lessened but not disappeared. And I've had a dull headache for a week, with some relief as time goes on. How long am I going to have to take this drug so I can stop wearing a pad? Yuck."

GYPSYNELEH June 20, 2016

"After four months with no period I went to the doctor and was put on provera. By the time I got to my second pill my period already started. I've never bled or been in so much pain. The doctor told me to take between 5-7 since I got it early. As of today I've officially been on my period for THREE WEEKS. I now realize the wickedness behind pharmaceuticals. They don't fix you, they cause more problems. My advice to everyone: look up a functional medicine doctor near you. They can fix your cycle, help you get pregnant, fix your thyorid. Whatever the issue is they will get to the bottom of it and they WILL HEAL YOU. NATURALLY. I wish I knew what I know now before getting on these man made drugs with more side effects than I can list."

MAWM07 June 10, 2016

"Last September I went to the OB-GYN for my heavy bleeding because I am tired of taking birth control and other meds. They prescribed me with Provera in an attempt to prolong my "dry time". It seemed to work for about 2 months and then suddenly I began having issues with even heavier bleeding, passing large clots, and shorter cycles (18-21 days). This continued until March of this year, when I bled so heavily I had to be put in the hospital for an emergency D&C and had to have a blood transfusion (3 units). Now I continually have issues with hemorrhaging. The Provera made an already bad situation worse. Now it looks like I may have to pursue surgical options as a result. If you are wondering whether or not to take Provera, DON'T!!"

RP0925 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

"I have been prescribed Provera as I get heavy period for a day then the rest of days r normal. After examine, Dr found cyst and have become large. So she has prescribed for 24 days two tablets in morning and two in the evening. I don't know whether this medicine would remove cyst or become small in size."

Janiyabaniya April 25, 2016

"My whole life I've had horrible periods. After having 3 kids my gyno finally discovered that my ovaries produce way too many eggs and my uterus has an extra thick lining. My tubes have been tied for 9 yrs. After having nightmare periods my Dr prescribed me provera. I've been on it for 2 months. The Dr said that as long as I take it, I won't have a period. Well I started a wk ago on my period again. It's been nonstop w absolutely no signs of quitting. I'm incredibly frustrated. The cramps and fatigue are more than I can handle."

Beth6911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"My cycle have been on for over 3 months so I went to the doctor. She prescribed provera. The first day after starting the medication I cramped (I'm not a cramper). The cramps stopped but the bleeding never did. About two weeks on the pill, I started bleeding really heavy and passing too many clots then I came research. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone."

ZeeC March 7, 2016

"I am 43, and Doctor says I am perimenopausal. My progesterone is not high enough. I did not have my period since November. My doctor prescribed me Provera. Have taken for 5 days and started my period on a second day after taking the last pill. Started bleeding like a normal flow on Tuesday. Had minor cramping. Since Tuesday cramping was getting worse and worse. And today on Friday could not go to work as I am passing large blood clots. Have to change super pads every hour. Can't wait for this nightmare to stop. How long can this heavy part last? The last 24 hours were awfully heavy, losing too much blood. Should I go to emergency room? Or should I wait? My doctor said to wait it out. But I am crying, and feeling miserable."

Mk123456 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

"Well my period stopped for two months. And then came back on in nov of last year and has been ever since with heavy flowing. My doctor prescribe provera for 10 days and after I was finish it came back on and much more. So I'm trying provera the second time and hope for the best."

Babypfat (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"I'm 42 years old. I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've been stuggling with this for 20 years, right after I had my son. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I went to the doctor because I had constant bleeding, spotting, cramps, etc. The Gyn made some tests and I got polyps on my upper side of the uterus. I went for a surgery, and got them out. To reduce the bleeding, the Dr prescribed Provera. Took the pill as told, got my period after 7 day. First days were fine, but the last 5 of them were heavy, with clots...It was horrible, but it helped me to stop the abnormal bleeding. Before the treatment, I was very depressed, just by not been able to leave the house without a pad,was stressful. Now, I can have my life back!"

Living Hope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

"I went almost 3 months without a period. I should've known I was in for trouble but I just let it slide until the day I started my period. I bled for 5 weeks non stop. It was very heavy with lots of large clots. I went to the ER eventually and the Dr prescribed me provera 10 mg for 10 days. It was awesome for 10 days almost no bleeding just spotting here and there. I came off of provera and 2 days later I'm bleeding 10 times worse and a lot more clots then I was before taking the drug. Somethings got to give I just want to be able to be normal again!"

I just want to be normal again (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"I was bleeding large clots nonstop for 3 months. I kept going to the ER and they did nothing. The last time I went my RBC count was so low I had to have 2 blood transfusions along with surgery. I was given Provera to take. I have been taking it now for 5 days and the blood is completely gone. I am just worried it will come back when the pills are gone."

Danielle b December 11, 2015

"Provera has been a wonder drug for me. I have been taking it for about 4 years now. I have no more periods. They were so bad after I had my son 15 years ago. I couldn't function. This drug has been great for me. I will continue to take it as long as I can."

No more periods November 30, 2015

"I am 31 & was diagnosed at 30 with PCOS & until recently I haven't had many issues with it my periods were always irregular so when I got them it would be painful well. On 09/08/15 I lost a pregnancy at 10 1/2 weeks I have been seeing the same Ob since I was 16 she had finally had enough knowing I badly wanted a baby. Well since this loss to date 11/12/15 I have had a total of 12 days with no bleeding so pretty much 3 months severe heavy bleeding with clots I went from having perfect iron levels to them being so low I'm on the verge of a blood transfusion. This week I've my on upped my iron from 325 to 650mg a day and I am taking 10mg of Provera every 8 hours this is day two and I'm happy to say I'm already seeing results I hope it stays this "

nikki2816 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

"So my doctor prescribed me provera 10mg for 10 days & it completely stopped the bleeding thank god. 7 days later i got my peeiod with the worse cramps ever and i was bleeding really heavy with lots of bloods clots. It was so uncomfortable"

Confused15 October 30, 2015

"Iam still bleeding after two weeks of taking provera pill for 15 days. Very stressful and depressing. I have fibriod tumors. Hysterectomy is not an option for me. I know there are medications that we."

Miss frustrated (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

"This stops the bleeding. I have been bleeding heavy for 4 weeks. This worked and i actually feel better! ? Happier and more energetic!"

Loveybuns September 19, 2015

"I have PCOS and have done for nearly 20 yrs Periods lucky if I had one a year then started to have irregular bleeds Was sent for biopsy and scan results showed complex focal hyperplasia Gyn but me on provera 3 daily I am now entering my 5 th week of really heavy bleeding and large cots along me depressed tired and ruling my life Was talk of hysterectomy but I'm petrified of such a major op any help will be gladly appreciated"

Jlg x74x August 29, 2015

"First time I took Provera it worked great for 3-4 years and made me regular. I had gone to the ER for heavy bleeding and clotting. 2nd time I went to the ER was earlier this year (2015) for same reason. Provera slowed it down, passed clots and then I spotted here and there. Just recently, mid July, I started having heavy bleeding again and the docs couldn't give me answers as to why but put me on Provera again. Didn't do anything this time. It slowed it down on Day1-Day3 on it and then after and especially when I finished Provera I was bleeding very heavily. The doc said that's to be expected and have to wait it out, and just wait for my ultrasound. I'm so sick of all this bleeding and even more so not getting any answers/treatment."

Tanm_07 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I was bleeding heavily for a month with extremely large blood clots that made it difficult and stressful to even leave the house. It was seriously affecting my quality of life and emotional well being. My Dr. prescribed Provera 10mg twice a day for ten days. After the second dose, the blood clots had completely disappeared. By the third dose, no bleeding at all. This medicine was like a miracle for me. I am happy to have my life back. I noticed I am having a headache, but it's not that bad. I'll take a headache any day over the suffering I endured with that excessive bleeding/clotting."

Relieved in California (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

"I have been bleeding profusely (clots, steady bleeding) for a year and a half - yes 18 months!! I have seen 2 different OB-GYNs. I am 46 and have fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts. Both doctors have used the "try this and see" approach and I have been given Provera, Depo Shots, and Beyaz birth control. None of these have stopped the bleeding. After taking the Beyaz last December, my blood sugar level rose to 450 and it took a month to get it back to normal. Of course, now I am considered a diabetic and have to take Metformin every day despite the fact that I was not diabetic or prediabetic before then. It is ridiculous that these doctors will not consider a permanent treatment option!"

AngelK69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2015

"I am 31 yrs old. Since the birth of my first child, I've had very heavy, painful periods. Often irregular as in a couple times a month. But I have been bleeding for almost 5 months now. Three months ago, I was put on Provera 10 mg once a day. It lightened my bleeding after a few days, then I had brown discharge for a few days. But I started bleeding again even while taking the Provera. I first had a 10 day supply, then a 30 day supply, another 2 weeks, and now 2 more. But it has changed nothing. I'm bleeding and cramping nonstop and still have no answers. No fibroids, polyps, or cysts."

1931 Twinkle May 13, 2015

"I am 23 years old and bled heavily for 7 weeks. Due to my religious beliefs I will not accept blood under any and all circumstances so I tried provera at an attempt to stop the bleeding. On the 1st pill I went from bleeding heavily to just brown spotting and after 4 days my bleeding completely stopped. I was on 10mg for 10 days. I just completed my last pill today and feel better than ever! Just happy that I'm not bleeding anymore and I can be a mom to my 8 month old daughter."

sabrinad91 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate