User Reviews for Provera

Learn more about Provera.

Provera Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Provera to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I started my period in March. It's been mostly light bleeding but on Friday it got pretty heavy. By Tuesday I was in the ER because I was just passing softball sized ball every single time I stood up. I went to see my obgyn today and he prescribed me with provera. Prior to taking it, I was still passing huge clots and just overall felt miserable. I've barely had an appetite and just felt so tired. Within two hours of taking this pill, I could feel the difference. I had more energy, I don't feel stabbing pain in my lower back from cramps, and I don't feel like a waterfall is going to come pouring out of me when I stand up. I know this is only the first day and I still have 13 days to go on this pill, but so far it's been amazing."

Jlynnxoxo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Provera for abnormal bleeding due to uterine fibroids. It didn't help with the bleeding only made it worst. I had clotting the size of a golf ball and bad cramping...was told by nurse it can take up to 10 days for it to work well I was on it for 14 days and nothing changed."

D Robinson2798 April 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been bleeding for 42 days. When I was at 31 days bleeding I went to my doc and he gave me 10mg provera for 10 days, I started the pill on a Thursday and Saturday and Sunday no bleeding so I was super excited! Monday I started bleeding again and have been ever since which is now 42 days. Had bloodwork and ultrasound just to be told all is normal. Anyone else experience this??"

Canadiangirl79 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 52 years old and clearly have been through the change of life. I've had no period for years. All of a sudden, I have some spotting so I go to my doctor. He does a surgical procedure to scrape the lining of my uterus and then puts me on 2, 10 mg Medroxyprogesterone a day, for 20 days. Four days after my last pill the bleeding started. I have NEVER had such a bad period in all of my 52 years of life! I have had 3 children and this is worse than the labor of all three!! I will NEVER take that medicine again!! They can do a hysterectomy and take the womb I haven't needed in decades. I can't even leave the house because when I stand up, I gush blood!! Roll over in bed, gush blood!! Not Happy!! Why didn't my doctor warn me about this?????"

GrumpyGranny (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"April 2016 out of the blue after having normal cycles and 5 pregnancies, I started hemorrhage and passing softball size clots. My doctor started me on 10 mg provera and that slowed down the bleeding. It has been 42 continuous days of bleeding then they raised the provera to 20 mg. They worked for two months then started spotting. They raised to 30. Well now I'm on 40 mg.. I'm not liking some of the mood side effects. I'm not sure if this medication is for me.."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had pcos since I was a teen, very irregular periods dr says I don't ovulate. High school sweet heart and I got married and we want children. It's very difficult having pcos. Dr proscribed provera to induce a period. She said it would shed the lining and would be like starting "new". Took 1 pill a day for 7 days. Took 3 days to start my period after last pill. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I've had severe bleeding for several days and large blood clots. I soak through at least 2 super plus tampons an hour. It leaks so bad through the tampon I have to also wear pads. Pads have rubbed me raw and the baby bleeding and constant changing of tampons has made me raw from the top of my vagina to my butthole. I'm very weak and dizzy."

Pcos (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 39 years old my whole life I had normal periods some months the cramping was awful but they were regular same time every month then about 2 years ago they began coming earlier every month I was having 1 twice a month I saw my Gyno 5 months ago (July) who did ultrasound said it all looked normal I was back in Oct the bleeding was getting worse he prescribed Provera 10mg once a day to start when I began bleeding again he said it would stop the bleeding so I did as instructed and bled for 10 days straight it stopped only to return 9 days later for another 9 days, stopped for a week then started again the 17th of this month(Nov) this time it started brown in color it is the 30th STILL bleeding"

twina77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After giving birth to my son in 2003, I refused to take any kind of birth control pill/shots. I've had irregular periods for years until last year when I started bleeding heavily, soaking up my pads within an hour up to the point that blood came rushing down my legs. I was afraid that maybe I had tumors or fibroids and maybe I needed surgery. Doctor gave me an ultrasound and found nothing wrong with my uterus. He gave me Provera 10 mg, once a day for 14 days. Took it for 2 months and had an absence of period for about 6 months. Had regular periods for 5 months and started again so I saw another doctor last month and told me to take provera again. I'm just waiting for my period to be over that way I can be comfortable again."

KatieKat1983 September 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has been a complete life changer for me. Having heavy periods 4 months non stop bleeding I am 40 years old. I was prescribed 10 milligrams for 10 days. If it wasn't for this medicine my everyday life would be unbearable. Some drugs aren't for everyone. This one is by far the best. Everyone says it can cause cancer it has bad side effects. Doesn't everything in life cause cancer and have bad side effects this drug is so helpful prolonged uterine bleeding I would recommend this to anyone. This medicine save me from a complete hysterectomy so why everyone voices their opinions on it don't take it go on and bleed and deal with it and quit complaining about it maybe if it wasn't for the stress in your life your periods would be reg"

Best ever drug (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 31 year old diagnosed with PCOS. I've been having irregular periods since the age of 15. They put me on birth control which regulated them. Now older they are worried about my blood pressure and blood clots. The longest I've gone without a period is a year and a half. The last 3 months ive had spotting everyday. Dr put me on Provera 10 pills every 3 months. I got my period on the 4th day of taking pills and am now dealing with debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding and clotting bigger than quarter size. I bleed through a tampon and pad every hour. Had to leave work early today because I bled through my pants in a matter of 30 minutes. It's been like this for 3 days and is unbearable. When will it end?"

Kookygrl21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bled 60+ days. I am on day two of provera. The nausea, cramping, diarrhea, bloating, and vaginal dryness is horrible, I have stopped bleeding though. I am scheduled for 10mg for 10 days for the next three months."

Emily1234 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 62 and have had spotty bleeding for the last 12 years, AFTER menopause had definitely set in. Recently the bleeding has intensified with cramps and small clots. Obviously something is wrong, but I need to get the bleeding under control first. The doctor prescribed the Provera 10 mg once daily for 10 days. It seemed to stop the bleeding if I took it to the exact hour every day, but if I missed a dose by a couple hours, then bleeding again. So I doubled the dose and started taking 1 tablet every 12-18 hours, which helped, mostly. The cramps have lessened but not disappeared. And I've had a dull headache for a week, with some relief as time goes on. How long am I going to have to take this drug so I can stop wearing a pad? Yuck."

GYPSYNELEH June 20, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After four months with no period I went to the doctor and was put on provera. By the time I got to my second pill my period already started. I've never bled or been in so much pain. The doctor told me to take between 5-7 since I got it early. As of today I've officially been on my period for THREE WEEKS. I now realize the wickedness behind pharmaceuticals. They don't fix you, they cause more problems. My advice to everyone: look up a functional medicine doctor near you. They can fix your cycle, help you get pregnant, fix your thyorid. Whatever the issue is they will get to the bottom of it and they WILL HEAL YOU. NATURALLY. I wish I knew what I know now before getting on these man made drugs with more side effects than I can list."

MAWM07 June 10, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Last September I went to the OB-GYN for my heavy bleeding because I am tired of taking birth control and other meds. They prescribed me with Provera in an attempt to prolong my "dry time". It seemed to work for about 2 months and then suddenly I began having issues with even heavier bleeding, passing large clots, and shorter cycles (18-21 days). This continued until March of this year, when I bled so heavily I had to be put in the hospital for an emergency D&C and had to have a blood transfusion (3 units). Now I continually have issues with hemorrhaging. The Provera made an already bad situation worse. Now it looks like I may have to pursue surgical options as a result. If you are wondering whether or not to take Provera, DON'T!!"

RP0925 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been prescribed Provera as I get heavy period for a day then the rest of days r normal. After examine, Dr found cyst and have become large. So she has prescribed for 24 days two tablets in morning and two in the evening. I don't know whether this medicine would remove cyst or become small in size."

Janiyabaniya April 25, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My whole life I've had horrible periods. After having 3 kids my gyno finally discovered that my ovaries produce way too many eggs and my uterus has an extra thick lining. My tubes have been tied for 9 yrs. After having nightmare periods my Dr prescribed me provera. I've been on it for 2 months. The Dr said that as long as I take it, I won't have a period. Well I started a wk ago on my period again. It's been nonstop w absolutely no signs of quitting. I'm incredibly frustrated. The cramps and fatigue are more than I can handle."

Beth6911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My cycle have been on for over 3 months so I went to the doctor. She prescribed provera. The first day after starting the medication I cramped (I'm not a cramper). The cramps stopped but the bleeding never did. About two weeks on the pill, I started bleeding really heavy and passing too many clots then I came research. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone."

ZeeC March 7, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 43, and Doctor says I am perimenopausal. My progesterone is not high enough. I did not have my period since November. My doctor prescribed me Provera. Have taken for 5 days and started my period on a second day after taking the last pill. Started bleeding like a normal flow on Tuesday. Had minor cramping. Since Tuesday cramping was getting worse and worse. And today on Friday could not go to work as I am passing large blood clots. Have to change super pads every hour. Can't wait for this nightmare to stop. How long can this heavy part last? The last 24 hours were awfully heavy, losing too much blood. Should I go to emergency room? Or should I wait? My doctor said to wait it out. But I am crying, and feeling miserable."

Mk123456 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well my period stopped for two months. And then came back on in nov of last year and has been ever since with heavy flowing. My doctor prescribe provera for 10 days and after I was finish it came back on and much more. So I'm trying provera the second time and hope for the best."

Babypfat (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 42 years old. I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've been stuggling with this for 20 years, right after I had my son. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I went to the doctor because I had constant bleeding, spotting, cramps, etc. The Gyn made some tests and I got polyps on my upper side of the uterus. I went for a surgery, and got them out. To reduce the bleeding, the Dr prescribed Provera. Took the pill as told, got my period after 7 day. First days were fine, but the last 5 of them were heavy, with clots...It was horrible, but it helped me to stop the abnormal bleeding. Before the treatment, I was very depressed, just by not been able to leave the house without a pad,was stressful. Now, I can have my life back!"

Living Hope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went almost 3 months without a period. I should've known I was in for trouble but I just let it slide until the day I started my period. I bled for 5 weeks non stop. It was very heavy with lots of large clots. I went to the ER eventually and the Dr prescribed me provera 10 mg for 10 days. It was awesome for 10 days almost no bleeding just spotting here and there. I came off of provera and 2 days later I'm bleeding 10 times worse and a lot more clots then I was before taking the drug. Somethings got to give I just want to be able to be normal again!"

I just want to be normal again (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was bleeding large clots nonstop for 3 months. I kept going to the ER and they did nothing. The last time I went my RBC count was so low I had to have 2 blood transfusions along with surgery. I was given Provera to take. I have been taking it now for 5 days and the blood is completely gone. I am just worried it will come back when the pills are gone."

Danielle b December 11, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Provera has been a wonder drug for me. I have been taking it for about 4 years now. I have no more periods. They were so bad after I had my son 15 years ago. I couldn't function. This drug has been great for me. I will continue to take it as long as I can."

No more periods November 30, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 31 & was diagnosed at 30 with PCOS & until recently I haven't had many issues with it my periods were always irregular so when I got them it would be painful well. On 09/08/15 I lost a pregnancy at 10 1/2 weeks I have been seeing the same Ob since I was 16 she had finally had enough knowing I badly wanted a baby. Well since this loss to date 11/12/15 I have had a total of 12 days with no bleeding so pretty much 3 months severe heavy bleeding with clots I went from having perfect iron levels to them being so low I'm on the verge of a blood transfusion. This week I've my on upped my iron from 325 to 650mg a day and I am taking 10mg of Provera every 8 hours this is day two and I'm happy to say I'm already seeing results I hope it stays this "

nikki2816 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So my doctor prescribed me provera 10mg for 10 days & it completely stopped the bleeding thank god. 7 days later i got my peeiod with the worse cramps ever and i was bleeding really heavy with lots of bloods clots. It was so uncomfortable"

Confused15 October 30, 2015