User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 162 medications

Ovarian Cysts 4 reviews 55 medications

5.5
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 131 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Acne "Im 14 year old girl & I'm on ortho tri cyclen (which is basically the same thing just cheaper) it's been 2 months & it's been the same.. hasn't gotten any better. I have tiny little pimples on my forehead WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. And more breakouts on my cheeks. But I haven't gave the medication enough time, I'm gonna give it 1-2 more months like people/Doctor are saying & report back.!! Side note: drink a lot of water, workout, eat healthy, sleep well, and change pillow cases. Don't touch face, stick to a routine, don't put 10000 products on your face, try not to stress, and smile more. ( if you already do all of the above then your acne is hormonal and its out of control like mine.. Which is why I started taking birth control"

sarah789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Acne "I have had acne for quite some time so I decided to start ortho. It's only been 3 days in and I have so many extra pimples on my face all over, and huge pimples at that. I'm hoping it will clear as its starting to get into my system but so far I'm dreading starting this pill and am thinking I need to just stop as it is not helping my self esteem or my skin what so ever....I have more scars which take so much time to heal/ lighten. Unhappy"

Anonymous adult July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "Been on the pill (specifically this pill) since I was 15 and now I am 28. I am more than hapoy with the pill. I have never had issues with weight gain (unless I am hogging into a box of cookies), no acne, mood swings, and no pregnancy scares. Extremely predictable periods that are super minor 1 heavy day and light-regular for the other 3 days-4 day period and done. Best thing I have ever done. Period. I recommend it for sure, but obviously it won't be the same for everyone."

ShanCus July 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I've only been on this birth control for about 12 days and it is the worst experience I've come across. I thought the depo shot was bad, but I am already experiencing depression, nausea, headaches, and insomnia. I got on this bc to clear up my acne and it may be to soon to tell how it really works, but based on the side effects I'm already experiencing I do not think I will continue suffering. It's too much letting this bc control all my emotions. I do not recommend it, but every female is different so it may be great for the next person."

Meekayla (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I was put on this BC because my periods were incredibly long, 25 days. I didn't gain weight, but I noticed on it I felt hungry all the time and had cravings for fatty foods. But I have charlie horses no matter how many banana's I eat or water I drink (And I eat a banana every day and drink about 100oz of water a day). The mood swings are terrible. I never want to do anything, I have no motivation, getting out of bed is a challenge, the bouts of crying. I'm irritable all the time. I'm frustrated about everything. I go to the doctor next week and asking to be switched to something else. Also my periods are horrible still after 3 months Ultra tampons every hour and horrible pains in abdomen."

Mish9489 June 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for 3 months. It's making me crazy. My periods have been 10x worse than they were before I got on the pill and they were bad! I stay home from school every time I'm on it because I can't handle them and I get horrible headaches while I'm on my period. My acne has been getting a bit worse but I hear it gets better after 3 months? I am going to stick with it for another month and see how it goes but let's just say it's hell right now."

Lina2345678 June 23, 2016

For Acne "I switched from Yasmin to tri-cyclen because my acne was so bad. I'm 26 years old and have been on some type of birth control since I was 18. I have had the worst experience of my life being on tri-cyclen. I was on it for a few months until I started to have very severe panic attacks. I didn't know what it was until after a few months of going through this hell I stopped the pills. As soon as I stopped them I haven't had a bad panic attack like that since and it's been 8 months."

Melissa353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on tricyclen for 1 year and it was a definite 10 for the time being, no babies... However, around the 10th month I started to feel like Something wasn't right.. I was getting harsh pains in my arms and legs daily, Id get stabbing chest pains and sometimes weird feelings and sometimes stabbing, excruciating pains in my uterus.. Not to mention the intense mood swings and random crying and anger all the time.. My head always felt like it had pressure in it, or like someone was stabbing my brain with an ice pick. If you don't want a baby, this is the Birth Control for you, however be aware of the f'd up side effects! I quit taking it 2 weeks ago and feel almost back to normal but still haven't seen a doctor"

A birth control expert (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I was 24 this was my first birth control.My weight initially fluctuate from 115lb to 120 but never more. On this birth control for 1 year i had notice increase in appetite.Breast size increase from a Small B been like that forever to a full C.Weight increased to 145lb In 1 year.Skin was slightly clearer but has occasional breakout on chin meaning hormonal imbalance.Asked my NP to switch me to a lower hormone BCP because of weight gain she says it's might be my diet that has to change but I insisted. She change me to nuva ring. Tried it for 6 months convinent but gained more weight up to 151lb. I'm getting off these hormone birth control they are increasing my appetite. Unmotivational mood I'm changing to Paraguard IUD no hormone."

Lh24 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

For Acne "I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

For Acne "I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin for about 12 months and my skin has been flawless. I love how it's cleared up my acne but I'm having major breakthrough bleeding at the moment. I missed 2 pills about 2 weeks ago and I have since then been bleeding continuously and i'm just about to go on my placebo pills, so after i'm finished with this pack it will be about 3 weeks with constant bleeding and it's terrible. Even when I didn't miss any pills I would have breakthrough bleeding the week before I started my placebo pills and it would drive me nuts. Saw my doctor and i'm going to try out another acne birth control, Yasmin so hopefully all goes well...."

SkyH7291 April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I was prescribed this as my first ever birth control, because I had horrible 14 day long periods. It got to the point where i'd end up dizzy & hyperventilating. So my doc gave me this, so far everything has been normal except my boobs don't feel the same. I've only been on the pill for about three weeks but my bras are all too tight now and the girls feel super heavy. Coming from a 16 year old who's had B cup for a while, this was a surprise. I haven't had any mood swings out of the regular and my acne is nonexistent."

Ash334 April 22, 2016

For Ovarian Cysts "I started this birth control my freshman year of high school (15-16) due to ovarian cysts. I absolutely adored this medication until about six months ago. Six years on the same pill is pretty impressive! I knew exactly when my period would start and end. Friday at three gone by Sunday at one. About six months ago I started feeling v mood swing, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight (which in fairness could be caused by my ovarian disease). All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. I had my thyroid checked and it turns out it was an abnormal hormonal level due to long use of this birth control! Other than that i have had absolutely no problems at all."

britbrat101421 April 13, 2016

For Acne "This is my 3rd week on this bc pill! So far I've been quite moody but nothing that has gotten out of control. I've cried for no reason but I'm naturally an emotional person so this doesn't surprise me haha. No weight gain, some headaches and fatigue but nothing intolerable. I had to take Tylenol like 2 or 3 times and every thing was fine. HOWEVER, I am have a mini cystc constellation on one side of my chin :( hoping this will be better and wont happen again. I also got a random cyst on my fore head. I normally only break out on my cheeks."

Moderate Cystic Acne gal March 30, 2016

For Birth Control "This birth control had given me side effects from the start, moodiness, weight gain( ten pounds), headaches, nausea, it did clear my skin which is what I went on it for however 8 months into taking it I was admitted into the hospital with bi lateral blood clots in my lungs. I understand this may just be specific to my case but just because it is a lo estrogen birthcontrol does not mean clots can not happen. Please be aware and if risk of clotting runs in your family or you are at all concerned please talk with your doctor before you take this pill."

Kathleen Rivera March 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Only been 3 months on the Lo but I've definitely seen some changes. Yes it has allowed me to be more regular in my cycle and my cramps are lessened+flow is lighter, which is what I originally had asked for from my first bc and what I received and why I gave a 6/10. However, the side effects are so rough :/ I'm already an emotional trainwreck of a teenager with psychotic depression bpd and avpd and this bc seems to put all my emotions in a bottle of soda and shake until I break down. In addition, I've had a a much larger appetite since starting and have gained 20 pounds since I began taking it, and I've had a lot more migraines and dizzy spells (I'm a mess). Overall, I don't really like, and will most likely switch to a new bc asap"

DisappointmentUser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Well I had a terrible experience on this birthcontrol. I won't say it's a terrible birth control because I know everyone is different. But starting off I experienced mild nausea and mood swings. I was much more snippy then usual and irritable. After the first week I started getting a few deep cystic pimples, one along my jaw and another on my chin. The worst part was my first menstrual cycle, it was excruciating strong cramps like someone stabbed me, radiating to my legs and stomach. I couldn't walk. LARGE clots, I ran thru super plus tampons every hour. I became so anemic I was advised to go to the ER by my PCP. But over all, I didn't get pregnant? Wasn't worth it to me. I stopped after two months I couldn't adjust to this pill."

Heathercheddar March 22, 2016

For Acne "I never had acne problems just a few hormonal breakouts once a montb. I had taken another type of pill for 6 years before switching to tri cyclen at the suggestion of my dr. This has given me terrible TERRIBLE acne. There has not been one other change in my life with the exception of switching birth control. I'm in my late twenties and I am now suffering with terrible acne. I see that most people have positive results but if you are like me I want you to know you aren't alone and some of us just got a crappy deal here. I have decided to stop taking the pill and see what happens to my skin. I will consider another option going forward."

elly87 March 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Just some of my background so some of you can relate: I'm 115lbs, 23 years old, in my third month of taking Try Cyclen which is the first BC I ever went on. So far thank God no pregnancies, although increased amount of discharge and I got a vaginal infection which I never had before and that was strange. At first I gained weight and my breasts went up a size which was great but now I'm back to loosing a lot of weight. Yes mood swings have increased but I was always emotional and thought of myself as someone with depression lol so you guys really have to be careful about what is really considered to be called depression. Periods have stayed the same, just a little bit more regulated which is also a plus. So far no drastic changes."

lingling922 March 15, 2016

For Acne "I went on the pill for my acne and I have to say that for that IT COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER. I used to have horrible cystic acne and it was constant but after starting the pill my face is consistently clear. The downside, CRAZY moodswings. I literally burst into tears for no reason all the time and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I never had before I started the pill. I can go from having the best day of my life to not moving from bed for two days in an instant and that scares me so I will be choosing not to take the pill anymore as even though I love having clear skin, I dont want to sacrifice my sanity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

For Birth Control "Definitely does its job. light and manageable periods that last 5-6 days. skin has never been so clear. About 4 pounds of weight gain which is no problem. But, I am MOODY. I have always been a happy person and this pill causes you to snap easily and cry easily. Still rating a 10 because it does its job and other than mood swings I have no complaints"

nichole26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Protected against pregnancy but horrible side effects. Crying for no reason, migraines and temporary blindness!"

Gggggggggggg February 24, 2016

For Birth Control "This was the first brand of oral birth control I tried. Within an hour of taking it, I experienced awful pains in my uterus and spine. It was my normal period pains x100. I also became so nauseous and sick because of it that I had to take time out."

Kam180 February 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 25 years old and have been taking this for over 2 years now. 2 years ago I was 145 lbs and now I am 165 and miserable. My husband and I have been dieting and exercising for the past year and half and I have only gained weight, never lost. I finally went to my doctor with the following symptoms: tired all the time even with 10 hours of sleep, mood swing (which effect my relationship), depression, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight, bad skin. All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. Well I get my thyroid tested this past week and its normal. I read these reviews and bam! I am getting off this immediately and I am really upset I did not read these sooner."

Stefanie423 February 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I was hospitalized within the first 3 weeks of taking Tricyclen as I had a severe side effect. It created excess spinal fluid in my body causing pressure on my brain. This required two lumbar punctures to help drain my spinal fluid following by a week of being bedridden. Please please please talk to your doctor before taking this. I have never had a problem like this with BC before until I got put on Tricyclen and threw the rest of them out."

JamieG1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016