User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Ortho Tri-Cyclen has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 258 ratings on Drugs.com. 40% of those users who reviewed Ortho Tri-Cyclen reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Endometriosis
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 5.7 258 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Julez · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on this Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about a year now and the first week I had horrible cold sweats nausea and headaches. I powered through them and was fine for a couple months but now I am extremely depressed and wake up nauseous every day.”

Irritable · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “My gyno started me on this as I've had issues with other pills. This pill has made me so unbelievably angry and depressed. The acne that comes with it is worse than it was when I was a teenager. Periods were so light that I didn't know if I should actually consider them a period. DEFINITELY WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”

E12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Birth Control: “I didn’t have many physical side effects (maybe gained a little weight) with ortho tri cyclen but I became extremely depressed and went through a depressive episode worse than any I had before. When I stopped the pill I went back to normal. For those with a history of depression (like myself) I would advise you to be cautious with ortho tri cyclen.”

Pm · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2020

For Acne: “I have now been on this birth control for 3 months. I originally started because I was experiencing very bad hormonal acne on my neck and jawline that was not going away with expensive skincare products, or over the counter products. I had tried 2 other birth controls before settling on this one- they both made me extremely nauseous and groggy. I’m so glad I found this birth control. But you need to GIVE IT TIME. It won’t work immediately. You will experience acne purges, it’s not the birth control giving you acne, it’s your acne essentially purging itself out so you can have that clear skin. Besides helping my acne, my cramps are now bearable which is amazing since I’ve ALWAYS had super painful cramps. The only other side effect I’ve experienced was breast tenderness and breast growth which I’m not complaining about. No weight gain! This pill has been a life saver for me.”

Ana · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2019

For Acne: “I am never one to post reviews anywhere, but I just had to for this drug for anyone out there who is still battling with acne. I’m in my mid 20s and suffered from acne for almost 3 years. I’ve tried everything and spent $$$ just to get rid of it. Birth control pills were prescribed by my derma, but the first brand that he gave me (Alesse) made me depressed, and way too emotional so I had to ditch that one. Tried to switch to another one but I’ve suffered way too many side effects, and tried two more before I landed on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I’m on my 3rd month of using it and I have zero acne not whitehead in my face right now. I’ve had a breakout on my first month of using it, mostly around my chin and jaw area, but after that batch cleared up I haven’t worried about acne anymore. Best one I’ve tried and will be on this pill for as long as I can!”

Britttttt January 20, 2014

For Birth Control: “I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it”

INSANExANGEL January 5, 2015

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill for the past 8 years. I absolutely love it! After having tried 2 different types of birth control pills before I found this one. This is the one for me, it cleared up my acne within a month of taking it, I've had no weight gain or weight loss, no headaches. Normal cramps and a shorter period (4-5 days).”

Anonymous May 15, 2012

For Acne: “28 yr old- healthy/active nurse. Always had minor acne since college but nothing like what I had a year ago last summer (2011). I blame it on YAZ for messing up my hormones. Painful cystic acne covered my jawline and forehead. I'm talking like 20 cysts at a time. Tried every OTC washes, organic, no caffeine, sugar, dairy, you name it. Nothing worked. Even though I did not want to go on the pill, I had too. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN (no the generic) for almost 7 months and finally it's almost clear. It was BAD first few months but I stuck with it. Give it time. PS: Generic is NOT the same as the real thing. Different fillers causes different reactions!”

Concave223333 December 1, 2014

For Birth Control: “The positive I had on this medication was having great, clear skin. But the negatives very heavily outweigh the positives. Ive been on this for a month and a half and already have to stop taking it. I get constant headaches, my mood swings are off the wall (affecting my boyfriend and i's relationship), nausea, difficulty concentrating, irrational thoughts and depression. Switching off of this immediately. If you are prone to depression DO NOT take this pill!”

jen July 27, 2013

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, but I was told that Ortho Tri Cyclen would be free through my insurance if I switched. So I did. I never had a problem on OTCL, and my doctor said that OTC would be pretty much the same and wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. WRONG!!! This pill is absolutely awful. I'm always pissed at everyone. I lose my cool over the smallest things. I'm crying about everything and I'm never happy. My boobs feel like they've gained 20 pounds and are always hurting. My sleep patterns are so crazy and I'm always tired. My boyfriend thinks this pill has made me into bridezilla. I only have 3 days left. Thank goodness. Not pregnant, but not worth all this grief. I'd much rather pay $30 a month to be happy.”

dreamfashion12 March 10, 2013

For Birth Control: “I started taking birth control pills a few years ago but after trying 5 or 6 different ones, I started taking OTC. This is the ONLY pill I have tried that does not make me bleed through half the pack, clears up my acne to an extent, does not affect my mood, and makes my cramps basically nonexistent. It is a miracle pill for me. I think because it has varying amount of hormones each week that mimic your own cycle, it works better for many women. I have not experienced any difference in my weight, I've started working out since I began taking this pill and have lost a little weight. The thing I am happiest about though is that I do not have breakthrough bleeding.”

olivia1234323 August 25, 2014

For Acne: “So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,”

JellyBells · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2014

For Birth Control: “I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this.”

Anonymous July 17, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for over ten years. I have had zero issues, I mean ZERO. Since they have discontinued this product my Kaiser pharmacy put me on Tri-Sprintec. THAT WAS INSAAAAAANE. They say its the " same " or a generic but if you have been on Tri-Ortho it is not. Massive mood swings, dehydration, my heart was racing like no other, I was low key freaking out and etc. NOW I am being forced to try another generic Tri-Estarylla. I will update once I have been on it for a few weeks.”

Reviewaccount333 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2017

For Acne: “After experiencing moderate to severe acne breakouts for all 4 of my high school years, my doctor prescribed me to Lornya, AKA Yaz or Gianvi. Being on Lornya actually made my acne breakouts worse, I waited it out to see if it was an adjustment period, but after 10 months I had a conversation with my doctor. She was ready to put me on accutane, but my mom didn't want to settle for that, so she did some research. I tried ortho tri-cyclen. After 3 months, my swollen lesions slowly disappeared. It honestly was a miracle. I never believed I could be confident without makeup, but this pill changed my life! Going on this medication was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with acne. :)”

ky September 29, 2019

For Acne: “Started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for acne a month ago. During the time of the month it caused me to break out in places I never have before and also caused me to have large cystic acne on my chin and jawline. They were all in clusters and on the right side of my face. The doctor says it will get worse before it gets better but honestly don't know what to do. Everybody is different and their body reacts different but I am ready to give up tbh.”

SnoopsMom2914 May 1, 2014

For Acne: “I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen.”

Ashley55 May 7, 2014

For Birth Control: “I've been on different pills for the past 7 years due to extreme period cramps and acne as well but I've been on this Ortho TriCyclen for 2 years and I just want to say that Birth control does NOT affect your weight. It affects your appetite hence the fact we gain weight. The reason I know is because Its easy for me to gain and lose while on the pill if I eat a lot I gain instantly. If I exercise and eat healthy same thing! I lose a lot faster on this pill. This pill makes it easy for me to maintain my weight due to the lifestyle I live! My acne has cleared up dramatically and my cramps are gone and my period lasts between 4-5 days. I always use condoms but gave it an 8 due to loss in sex drive but other than that, it's great pill!”

Lynn23997 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2016

For Birth Control: “I am 18 and have been on tri-cyclen since I was 16. The first 3 months of taking the pill were rough, I was always tired, gained a little weight, and had mood swings. HOWEVER, as it says on the pill pack instructions and through personal experience, as you continue to take it, all of the symptoms go away. I am back to my normal weight (I am 5'2" 108 pounds), not tired anymore, have 100% clear skin, and extremely short, painless periods. I have even forgot to take a pill and it never failed to work, making these great for girls who are just starting birth control. These are low dose so weight gain is NOT a symptom!!! Most of the negative reviews are from women (who are advised not to take oral contraceptives, 35 years old)”

reviews · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2013

For Acne: “I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen because I have been struggling with bad acne for a few years and my dermatologist asked if my periods are regular and they are not because they come a few days late every time so she told me in order to fix your acne I need for your hormones to be normal and all. I was put on this medication and this medication worked really, really well. My oily skin was GONE and my acne was also completely GONE. I couldn't believe it. BUT one month into taking this pill I noticed my hair thinning I thought it was stress. At the end of the 3rd month of taking this pill I realized it wasn't stress its the side effect of the pill. So I stopped taking this pill.”

lea · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “I first started using this birth control a month ago and it gave me really bad headaches and I never had acne before but since I have been on it I’ve gotten little bumps on my forehead and under my eyes. It also gives me really bad mood swings”

Schell · Taken for 10 years or more November 5, 2019

For Acne: “I have been taking the name brand ortho tri-cyclen since June 2000. Before that I always had irregular, painful periods, and acne vulgaris. The pill has done wonders for me. It is medically necessary for me and even though I am 44 I still want to stay on it. I have not experienced any bad side effects and my paps have been good for 19 years. I do not understand why this product is discontinued.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2012

For Birth Control: “This pill made me an irritable, moody, depressed mess. I would fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and was constantly agitated. It was AWFUL for me and I would never take it again. It did manage to clear my skin pretty well and also my breasts were a little bit more full but it was not worth the emotional issues it caused me. I recently stayed on it for 3 months as recommended to see if side effects would lessen but they did not. The fist time I ever took this medicine I was 19 and ended up on anti-depressants because I didn't realize it was the birth control pill causing my mood swings and depression. This led to a tailspin of anti-depressant madness for the next 5 years and not one doctor ever told me I should try a different birth control pill.”

Happy Bunny October 3, 2013

For Acne: “I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results.”

Anonymous April 28, 2012

For Acne: “I've been taking this birth control for about 7 months and have no real complaints. It cleared up my skin fairly well. I still break out a little but not as badly as I did before. It regulated my period and shortened it and while I still get cramps I no longer get back cramps or ones that physically make me sick. This birth control made my depression and mood swings, which I was already having slightly worse but nothing a higher dose anti-depressant didn't fix. My breasts were very tender for a few months and I gained a cup size. I gained a little weight at first until I realized the pill was making me hungry, but with exercise and a balanced diet I'm back to my original weight. Overall I say it's worth a try.”

Rose Itsa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 18, 2015

For Birth Control: “So thankful this was the first pill my Doc recommended. Absolutely amazing pill! My main concern was weight gain by starting b/c... But I've actually lost 10 pounds since being on this pill. My skin has cleared up. Periods last 3-4 days very light. No cramps. ONLY issue was the first 3 months I kept experiencing a few yeast infections... But that issue stopped as soon as I started taking a daily probiotic. I will admit sometimes I am moody & emotional but I don't know if I can blame the pill entirely lol. My appitite is up & down at times but honestly that's all about self-control. So overall I'm so happy with this pill and I plan on staying on it until I'm ready for kiddies”

Quinnzie · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 17, 2014

For Birth Control: “I'm using this pill for the second time -- for the last few years, I didn't need birth control as the man I was committed to had a vasectomy. The first time I used Ortho TriCyclen I was 18 and continued use until 21. Now I'm 25 and have been using it again for 2 months now. I love this pill! The only negatives I've experienced have been very mild and include slight weight gain (5 lbs), but mainly in the breasts and hips (and whoever complained about looking more like an hourglass??), and I've also, after two periods on it, have noticed that my periods are more painful. It's not awful in my case, I never really had a problem with cramping anyway without the pill. But, my periods are very light, short (2-3 days), and manageable. No complaints!”

saymm April 12, 2014

For Acne: “I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.”