User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Endometriosis

1 review 103 medications
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 5.8 224 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Acne "I am on my fourth month on the pill. I’m mainly taking it for acne. I’ve used Xulane before with no improvement on my chin acne. I must say, I’ve always tried to stay away from dairy or sugar but I would always still break out on my chin, and it didn’t matter what day of the month. I always had acne on my chin. Starting off with the pill, I had about 8 painful zits on my chin. I noticed it beginning to clear after the second week. By the time I hit the sugar pills I began breaking out again on my chin and oddly in between my brows. I continued on to the second month, always breaking out during period week. By the third month though, my chin has been clear. I did get 1-2 tiny pimples during the week of my period, but they weren’t painful like how they used to be. I’ve never seen my chin clear in almost 8 years. No weight gain, but I was a bit moody the first month. Can’t tell if that was due to my recent breakup or hormones."

Maggie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "I have been taking this pill since I was 15. (5years) I have never had a problem with it. It had cleared up my acne, the periods are so regular and I always know the exact day of when it starts and ends (they are short and less painful). My cysts are gone. I usually have 1 bad painful day but that’s it. The week before I start, I get EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL. I cry for no reason, get angry at people, and have weird mood swings. Other than that, I love this pill. Unfortunately, my dr is changing my prescription to another pill because I have high blood pressure and the chance of stroke is too high (even though I am only 20 years old!!!) I want to switch back tho this pill, it is amazing and effective!"

Biggestukfan (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I didn’t get pregnant while taking this pill but in the 5 1/2 months I took it I gained 10 lbs, my skin got worse, and my cramps were worse. Just switched back to Yasmin generic today, that one works well with my body."

Marisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

For Acne "Started taking Tricyclen to clear up my acne, and it worked pretty well for that. When I started the pill I had an insatiable hunger and a bit of spotting. Unfortunately, there were more negative side effects that actually got worse the longer I was on it. Late into the second month I would randomly wake up in the middle of the night incredibly nauseous and throw up 2-3 times before passing out from exhaustion. There was no pattern in when this would occur (i.e. didn't happen on any certain week of the pack) which made it very frustrating. Additionally, I would bloat up like a balloon on the 3rd week. I think the pill also made me more tired - usually around 5 or 6pm I would feel as if I could pass out for the night. The nausea was a major frustration for me, so I'm going to switch to Tricyclen Lo and see if that helps."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2018

For Acne "If I could give it a -100 I would. Made me super depressed and I was covered in acne, not to mention nauseous. 25/8 that is worse than 24/7 !!"

Kk November 5, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control was great as a contraceptive, no pregnancy scares ever. It also took away any pain and made me have less bleeding during the period, which was a withdrawal time of course. However, with this pill my acne got worse. It would concentrate on my cheeks and chin. Before taking this pill my skin was perfectly clear but after I would get more pimples which would leave scarring on my face. I gave it four months because I heard you should try a birth control for three months before quitting, but the acne has reminded constant. The pill did make me gain some more boobs so I guess that was a plus. Due to the fact that I don’t need a contraceptive anymore, I stopped taking this pill and also in hopes of my skin going back to normal."

Jen (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2018

For Acne "I was previously on trinessa prescribed by my dermatologist as my acne wasn’t fully cleared up. I just had a couple bumps on my face nothing crazy. The bad thing about trinessa for me was that I was hormonal and depressed and I was always tired. I hated it then I went to my gynecologist and she switched me to orthocyclen and so far I’ve noticed that my mood swings and fatigue improve drastically, but as far as acne goes it hasn’t changed much. I’ve only been on it for three weeks the right side of my face is completely clear but the left side has a slight break out but that is the side I sleep on so that might have something to do with it. So far I’m not too upset at the results but I’m only three weeks in so I will be sure to keep everyone updated!"

Molliepops (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

For Acne "I went on this BC because I was previously taking Lolo estrin since that one made me feel like I was pregnant EVERYDAY. I have pretty acne prone skin but nothing horrible mainly my forehead but my cheeks were typically pretty clear with the exception of a few pimples every so often. Well when I got off Lolo I wanted something that could prevent pregnancy and clear up my skin .... NOPE NOPE NOPE. This BC broke me out in places I NEVER had issues with before! Now I thought it was my body adjusting so I gave it 6-7 months and still nothing! Broke me out so bad, constant red inflamed skin it was horrible and I was miserable and for my wedding day my skin was so bad. As soon as I got off it my skin cleared up a bit but it just hasn’t been the same since taking Ortho tri cyclen. Everyone is different but just didn’t work for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

For Acne "I’m 1* & I’ve dealt with acne since I was 13. I’ve been on pills & pills & pills since I was 14. It got better depending on the pills I’d take (spirinolactone, doxycycline). Although my face was never completely clear so I started taking ortho tri cyclen prescribed by my doctor for acne, not my dermatologist. It’s been about almost 2 months now, no improvement, just a lot worse. I didn’t know if I should continue this, but after I read some of these reviews I learned that it may take your body some adjustment to do in the beginning before it starts activating properly. I hope that’s the case for me, I’ll be back to let you all know :)"

cocoa butter (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

For Birth Control "My best friend and I were both switched to tricylcen because it was a heavier dose of hormone and would help make our periods lighter and help with acne. My acne got worse on the pill and I found myself emotional but it was effective at preventing pregnancy as it was the only form of birth control my partner and I were using. My best friend was also on tricyclen and she recently found out she was pregnant. She was responsible with her pill and never missed a dose. I went with her to get the abortion where the nurse told us the pill is only 91% effective. 9 out of every 100 women get pregnant while on tricyclen. Those were numbers I did not know when I was prescribed it and since learning that I have switched to another form of birth control."

Study978 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2018

For Acne "I've been on this for about six months now. My skin condition has not changed at all. My periods are predictable- but much heavier & longer than on the Nuvaring. Sex drive has restored and there is less pain afterwards. However, the main reason I switched to this was to clear my skin and it's not happening. I don't know how much longer I'll stay on this if it doesn't work."

MN (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this pill for a few years. My doctor put me on it because I get unbearable period pains. I will say, the pill helped regulate my period and lighten the flow as well as making it a little less painful, BUT.. I figured out that this pill wins the entire cause of my acne!! I always had nice skin & this pill made me have the WORST acne. Every inch of my face was covered in nasty clogged pores, it wasn’t even cystic acne. Just extremely bumpy & I was always embarrassed. Anyways I immediately changed pills as soon as I came across the idea and within a month or two of changing pills my face really calmed down. The pill was literally the only thing I changed in my life. My face will never be the same now but at least I figured it out!!"

Jules September 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Cleared up my acne. Increased sex drive. Increased sugar cravings. Worked perfectly for contraception. Regulated my period. No problem getting pregnant after going off. Possibly contributed to developing dry eye syndrome."

EC (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve been on ortho tri cyclen for a few years now. I honestly haven’t had any major problems. Mild nausea occasionally and swollen breasts once every couple of months. No weight gain and little to no acne"

Kolby (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2018

For Acne "I went on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for acne after trying everything in the book to try and clear my skin. I absolutely love the outcome of being on the Ortho! My skin has never been this clear and I am incredibly happy with my results!"

Grace (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

For Acne "I was on this for a little over 2 years before switching to Ortho Cyclen. Pros: Significantly decreased the amount of facial acne I had, no more back acne, did not seem to affect my sex drive, a bit lighter day 2-3 flow during period, and cramps only happened every few months Cons: Did not get rid of all acne & still had a lot of chin/hormonal acne, weight gain of around 10 lbs/extreme hunger, occasional migraines, erratic depression, did not help my heavy flow as much, lots of bloating during my period. Overall it did help from where I was before taking this, but I am now a lot happier with Ortho Cyclen with much more improvement."

Amber (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2018

For Acne "This birth control has done a great job clearing up my hormonal acne. I use a full skin regime along with this stuff and it’s been great for me. I plan to do a chemical peel for my scars here soon:)"

DesMk (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Month 4 on this pill after switching from the Nuva Ring. Periods are longer and heavier, skin has not cleared up and mood swings are worse before period. However, my sex drive is back, I haven't gained any weight and I haven't experienced any migraines. I hope it'll clear my skin soon, that's why I switched from the ring in the first place."

MN (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "I started taking ortho tri-cyclen to alleviate severe pain around the time of ovulation and menstruation, for ovarian cysts, and for acne. The first few months were fine, however I’ve been spotting for about a month now. My breasts have gone up a cup size and they’re very tender and swollen, but my acne (which used to cover 80% of my cheeks) is now going away and I only have 3 or 4 spots. I’ve gained some weight, but not too much."

indie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had spotting for 3-4 weeks at a time with this pill, mood swings like never before! And weight gain. Definitely going back to the doctor to change pill."

Mo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Acne "Everyone’s body is different, but in my experience taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen was the worst decision I’ve made. I gained 25 pounds in the span of less than 4 months even with a healthy diet and leading a very active lifestyle. The weight gain was crazy and happened extremely quickly. Nausea was also a prevalent, everyday thing when taking the medication. Did I mention the mood swings? I felt like all my energy had been zapped from my body. Originally I took it to help with my acne, but ultimately it ended up making my acne WORSE! Horrible medication and would never recommend to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For Acne "I'm a 21 yo female always struggled with huge cystic acne breakouts. I'm talking mountains on my chin since I was 16. Tried differin and made it worse, loestrin and brevicon was horrible. The first week on Ortho Tri-cyclen my skin cleared up faster and in the first month I had no breakouts, in my second month and I've had minuscule pimples on my chin which go away quick and aren't noticeable. I workout lot s so no change in weight or boobs and regular periods so far. Super happy and finally experiencing clear skin!"

Sweetpea (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

For Endometriosis "2 stars for predictable periods. Periods were still painful and longer than normal. Nauseous every time I took it, even with food. Constant abdominal discomfort while on it. I felt depressed and unmotivated. I was on it for a year and decided to stop taking it after it was recommended that I take it continuously (skip sugar pill week) because I got a period the 2nd week that was heavy and very painful. As soon as I stopped the pain diminished greatly and my mood improved. Won’t be going back to this."

Notworthit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to this pill from aubra as it made me break about and I got headaches from it. I've only been on it for a few days and I'm already stopping it at the end of the week. This pill makes my heart race and stomach pain/cramps. I just got off my period and it feels like I'm about to get it again. I get extremely nauseous every time I've taken it. The nausea is off and on all day, I feel either super constipated or like I have severe diarrhea. I've had cramps for days straight even tho I'm not on my period. One plus, my face hasn't broken out yet. Stopping this tonight actually."

No (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For Acne "I started this for acne on my back. I've had acne for 10 years. I'm in week three and just started getting really, I mean really bad break outs. I stopped getting cystic acne years ago, and the last week, I've gotten three cysts, where I would get three in a year and a bunch of smaller zits. My acne was more clogged pores on my face. I'm started to get huge cysts on my back too. I'm trying it for one more month, and if it doesn't get better, I'm going back to the minipill. I can't stand to look at my face in the mirror. "

HurricaneWhitney (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018