User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 9 reviews 109 medications

Ovarian Cysts 6 reviews 55 medications

4.3
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 181 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've used Ortho for 17yrs off & on. I have PCOs, PMDD & painful uterine fibroids. This is the only pill that stops the most heaviest of bleeding within 24-32hr for me! Stops the horrid pain of my fibroids & cysts. I've never gained weight from it, it's always cleared up my skin & periods are 60% less painful & the flow is low & short lived! This one has always been perfect for me."

Nyk (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went on this for heavy bleeding and Pain from Fibroids.I had to get a blood transfusion. It helped the severe pain in my lower back & stomach.The heavy bleeding not so much! I'm on my 3rd pack, and the first two months had heavy or just bleeding everyday of the month, and still some. Side effects I get are nauseousness a lot more depression, headaches ,upset stomach, gas more. I think and I read others say they got that too. Idk if the bleeding is breakthru bleeding or my fibroids, but I certainly don't need anymore bleeding. I have Anemia now from bleeding everyday."

Daisy doo July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "First week seriously nauseous... dizzy. Stayed on it and stuck with it. Acne. Worse than I've ever had. Long periods and cramps. Basically enhanced everything I didn't want it to. I'd rather not be on anything. I've stuck with it for two years but I can't handle the long periods, acne, hairy chest, and major weight gain. Like 20 pound weight gain. I work out and can't loose anything. Terrible headaches. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone."

GabGabGabGab (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill caused hair loss and fatigue. I noticed the side effects by the middle of week one. By the end of week 2 you could see patches of missing hair. I stopped using it at the end of week 2."

ANKO July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started this pill at 18 because I didn't have my period for 6 months. My period came back after the first month. My acne got worse for the first 6 months but eventually got a bit better, no more cystic acne. My appetite skyrocketed but my weight has stayed constant. It's also given me hot flashes. Lots of moodiness and anxiety but that might be unrelated to the pill, and it has improved somewhat. After 15 months I've decided to switch pills. That being said, the pill affects everyone differently so take my experience with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill over a year ago and nothing has changed hormonally for me. In the mornings if I don't eat at a certain time I do get nauseated and throw up but my cycle has always been on time and consistent. Maybe gained 10 pounds most but with exercise it helps. I have a very sensitive body and this is perfect for me. However it may not work for some people. Worst side effect I've had is not really sleeping might get five to six hours"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The right birth control is really dependent on the person. What didn't work for me might work for you. What happened with me is Tri-Cyclen gave me acne (never had a problem with acne before) and depression and anxiety. If you're feeling upset while on this pill I would go off it immediately. It took me a month off the pill before my skin went back to normal."

h23456 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm sad that I'm switching to another pill as I have been on Ortho tricyclen for so many years. No mood swings, no PMS, no depression, I feel the same every day. My complexion has never been so clear. Very light periods, no cramping."

Kloiber (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I switched to ortho tri cyclen from seasonique because I started getting acne. This completely cleared up my skin in a matter of weeks. However I ended up with break through bleeding for 2 weeks followed by a heavy period with painful cramps during the placebo week. It also got me extremely nauseous and dizzy. I'd rather have a little acne than have to deal with those side effects."

Lea333 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I love this birth control. Cleared up my acne, no mood swings, no weight gain, and light periods that happened like clock work!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "While I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen, I was hospitalized. I came very close to needing a blood transfusion. Halfway through a pack, I started to bleed heavily. I went to the ER and had ultrasounds done to be sure I wasn't having a miscarriage or cyst rupture. It was explained to me that the added hormones were not balancing well, which was causing one to crash and cause heavy bleeding. I was immediately taken off of birth control. I won't ever try it again. It was a very scary experience."

Cheree13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "After experiencing moderate to severe acne breakouts for all 4 of my high school years, my doctor prescribed me to Lornya, AKA Yaz or Gianvi. Being on Lornya actually made my acne breakouts worse, I waited it out to see if it was an adjustment period, but after 10 months I had a conversation with my doctor. She was ready to put me on accutane, but my mom didn't want to settle for that, so she did some research. I tried ortho tri-cyclen. After 3 months, my swollen lesions slowly disappeared. It honestly was a miracle. I never believed I could be confident without makeup, but this pill changed my life! Going on this medication was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with acne. :)"

Reviewaccount333 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking Tricyclen since I was 15 (I'm 18 now) solely for my heavy period. At first I was taking the 28, and it wasn't a high enough dosage (no idea how it works there) and I switched to 21. The heaviness stopped immediately. I never had any side effects, which was a plus. The only thing I have to say as a con is migraines. It just started recently, probably the last 6 months. Other than that, the medication is working! I recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of acne as well. I also used it for acne, and it disappeared within the month."

NotTricia_ April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had gotten diagnosed with PCOS haven't gotten a period in 6 months so, she thought that this can help regulate my cycle so, my provider decided to prescribe this BC to me and after taking it for a week and a half I have experienced breast tenderness, sore nipples and my breasts did grow a cup size. But I also experienced mild cramping like if I'm getting my period and headaches, nausea and no appetite. I would not think about taking this BC again cause I am starting to feel its not for me .. its works for some females not all .."

tawwy (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho TriCyclen as soon as I turned 18 and used it until my husband and I wanted to conceive a few years later. I went back on it after my daughter was born. It made my periods regular, they were basically clockwork which was awesome. I had no acne, mood swings, or break through bleeding."

Stake eye April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking this birthcontrol since I was 15 (I am now 20), had terrible, terrible acne, bad periods and vicious mood swings prior to the medication. After I started taking it my acne disappeared with in 3 days, my periods were so much better. I notice if I stop taking it I gain a crazy amount of weight and my acne instantly comes back. My mood swings and depression may have gotten worse but it was due to other mental illness stuff. I have PCOS and this helps tremendously. I stopped taking it and took another one for a while and it made things so much worse. I had to go back on this one to have regular periods and feel okay. The first week after the sugar pills are literal hell sometimes, mimics pregnancy to a T but it gets better."

Kaeline April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Well, I've never missed a pill and I still got pregnant so... clearly not super effective."

kb1115 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started this contraceptive at 16 to control my acne and it did a great job. I had no problems, I did experience a lack of hunger it was kinda weird but it didn't effect my life. I just had to make myself eat. Now that I am 18 I have no side effects at all . I haven't really put it to the test in preventing pregnancy but I'm not pregnant and haven't been so that's also a plus."

MLB.km March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had terrible acne for as long as I can remember, always around my chin and cheek area. I felt so horrible about myself and finally went to the doctor and was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. It definitely did not work right away, but I did enjoy the light periods. I'd say after three of four months my acne started clearing beautifully, and I've been on the pill ever since. No weight gain, or mood swings. I felt like my normal self. Although, Maybe two months ago I forgot to get a refill and it took a while to get it so I obviously wasn't taking it for a week or two and my acne went crazy again! I also started to experience mood swings and was very tired. (for anybody thinking about stopping)"

lanah March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a happy person and never had depression or anxiety in all my life until I got on this BC. I started getting sad, then the sadness started to feel like depression... almost debilitating... then anxiety started to kick in. I thought maybe I should give it a little more time because my body was adjusting, but the last straw was 7 months into taking it, I started getting suicidal and PSYCHOTIC thoughts at a family party!! I was freaking out and it felt like I had voices in my head! I have a friend who loves this BC, but unfortunately it did not work for me :(. BC is really a trial and error and different for everyone. This is the only BC that has made me CRAZYYYY! I had a better experience with Nuva Ring and Lomedia 24Fe."

Miss1234 March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My experience with this has not been good so far. I previously lost almost 40 lbs before starting this birth control and have gained 20 lbs since i starting taking Trycyclen. I'm very active and eat very healthy, also my acne has come back in full affect. Not impressed, getting my doctor to switch me immediately"

clairissa February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I started typing out a long saga but ran out of character space so long story short: Wore the Ortho-evra patch back in high school, worked great, got rid of my moderate acne. Fast forward to now, dermatologist prescribed Ortho tri cyclen for my acne (it's come back since quitting previous birth control).. Been on this STUPID pill for 2 months ALONG WITH spironolactone AND minocyclin and it's turned my moderate white heads into gross, painful cystic acne and I'm getting married in 4 months and do not have a year to wait it out. My self esteem and sanity are not worth waiting on this pill to work. Switching back to the patch today. I'm giving it 2 stars because maybe if I waited it out it would work but bride-to-be ain't got time for that ✌"

NOTFORME (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I went on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about a year & I can honestly say my face cleared up tremendously. The only downside was that I experienced crazy emotions & mood swings. I unfortunately ran out & wasn't able to refill my prescription for a couple weeks. As soon as I went back on it & for the past year I've had the worst acne I've ever had. Cystic as well as scarring I've never experienced. I tried to stick it out to see if I would get the results that I had when I first took it but it hasn't gotten any better.. I'm now switching to Gianvi & hoping this will make my acne better."

Nanni9 February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I experienced mood swings and anxiety due to this prescription ... would not recommend."

Anonymous February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Ortho tri cycles saved my face! I've dealt with cystic acne flare ups for years. I experienced HUGE cysts that would distort my face. I've tried EVERYTHING to rid myself of them (even did a round of accutane 10 years ago) but they persistently return. 7 months ago I switched from Alesse to and it's made an incredible difference. The first 4 months were really rough (I broke out A LOT but noticed the cysts were actually coming to a head and draining for the first time ever). I almost gave up out of frustration but I'm glad I stuck it out. My face has been totally manageable, just the small NORMAL occasional pimple around my period. No weight gain, no mood swings, no adverse effects. Also loving the shorter, lighter, less painful periods"

CanadianGirl27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017