User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Endometriosis

1 review 102 medications
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 5.8 205 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Birth Control "I've had spotting for 3-4 weeks at a time with this pill, mood swings like never before! And weight gain. Definitely going back to the doctor to change pill."

Mo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Acne "Everyone’s body is different, but in my experience taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen was the worst decision I’ve made. I gained 25 pounds in the span of less than 4 months even with a healthy diet and leading a very active lifestyle. The weight gain was crazy and happened extremely quickly. Nausea was also a prevalent, everyday thing when taking the medication. Did I mention the mood swings? I felt like all my energy had been zapped from my body. Originally I took it to help with my acne, but ultimately it ended up making my acne WORSE! Horrible medication and would never recommend to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For Acne "I'm a 21 yo female always struggled with huge cystic acne breakouts. I'm talking mountains on my chin since I was 16. Tried differin and made it worse, loestrin and brevicon was horrible. The first week on Ortho Tri-cyclen my skin cleared up faster and in the first month I had no breakouts, in my second month and I've had minuscule pimples on my chin which go away quick and aren't noticeable. I workout lot s so no change in weight or boobs and regular periods so far. Super happy and finally experiencing clear skin!"

Sweetpea (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

For Endometriosis "2 stars for predictable periods. Periods were still painful and longer than normal. Nauseous every time I took it, even with food. Constant abdominal discomfort while on it. I felt depressed and unmotivated. I was on it for a year and decided to stop taking it after it was recommended that I take it continuously (skip sugar pill week) because I got a period the 2nd week that was heavy and very painful. As soon as I stopped the pain diminished greatly and my mood improved. Won’t be going back to this."

Notworthit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to this pill from aubra as it made me break about and I got headaches from it. I've only been on it for a few days and I'm already stopping it at the end of the week. This pill makes my heart race and stomach pain/cramps. I just got off my period and it feels like I'm about to get it again. I get extremely nauseous every time I've taken it. The nausea is off and on all day, I feel either super constipated or like I have severe diarrhea. I've had cramps for days straight even tho I'm not on my period. One plus, my face hasn't broken out yet. Stopping this tonight actually."

No (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

For Acne "I started this for acne on my back. I've had acne for 10 years. I'm in week three and just started getting really, I mean really bad break outs. I stopped getting cystic acne years ago, and the last week, I've gotten three cysts, where I would get three in a year and a bunch of smaller zits. My acne was more clogged pores on my face. I'm started to get huge cysts on my back too. I'm trying it for one more month, and if it doesn't get better, I'm going back to the minipill. I can't stand to look at my face in the mirror. "

HurricaneWhitney (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I used Yaz before this one and everything was great but when I went to a different doctor to get a prescription he told me that tri-cycle is better of the different levels of hormones in each pill and also because Yaz is known for high blood pressure. Anyway I have been using it for 5 months now and I hate it I did noticed that my period is longer and hurts more but my main concern was when and if I miss a pill (which happens) and I mean one I get my period right away! This time I got my period in a weeks time from the last one!!!! And I have been taking birth controls for 7 years and I never had problems with my period before always in a month a part."

Annoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

For Birth Control "Was on this pill for a year & went through hell. The only good thing is it kept me from getting pregnant, & I gained no weight. I started to get yeast infections, UTI's, long periods with the worst cramps, & had mood swings. All of these I have never experienced before & I’ve been on different birth controls for about 4 years, nothing else in my life had changed to cause any of that except for taking the pill. I later on started to develop a constant urge to urinate & do so frequently it affected my job, sleeping, & sanity. I went to doctors about it, antibiotics would not work because it wasn’t caused by a UTI. Did some research & found out many others had been suffering from the urination problem & it has all been linked to this pill! Since then I switched my birth control & my urination has significantly changed back to normal. I will never take this pill again nor recommend it. If you don’t want to get pregnant it’ll work, but totally not worth going through the side effects."

Anonymous April 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 2 years. My periods were nice, I gained a few pounds and my boobs got slightly bigger (which is nice because my boobs are an A cup). Overall this pill was very reliable, but it made me very angry all the time and very irritable. I have been off this pill now for 5 months and I feel better off the pill than I was on it."

PB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2018

For Acne "I was on this for 2.5 months and will never go back to Ortho Tri Cyclen. One huge side effect was that I had very bad nausea EVERY DAY along with migraines. I had so much nausea that I would gag at certain foods which I’ve never done in the past. I constantly felt full even when I skipped a meal. I can see how that would benefit people who are trying to lose weight but I’m already relatively thin trying to stay at a regulated weight. I used this to CLEAR my acne but it only made it worse— there are now twice as many acne “clusters” than there were prior to taking this. My acne has never been this bad. The only positive about this medication is that it made my periods slightly lighter and it regulated them down to a T."

Sophie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2018

For Acne "This is my 4th month on the medication and I am so happy with the way my skin is looking now. I used to look in the mirror and tear up with how bad my acne was, and now I can leave the house without any makeup at all! My redness has completely calmed down and I rarely get breakouts, if I do it’s when I get my period. I won’t lie, the first month of side effects I was ready to give up. I had serious cramping even when I wasn’t on my period and a much heavier flow. But, that has now gone away and my periods have become regular (after years of getting them every 2 weeks) and my acne has cleared up a ton! Would definitely recommend :)"

lyonia_lucida (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Birth Control "My first pills I took were regular orthcyclen. I switched due to bleeding between cycles to another pill. They pill worked for awhile until I had more breakthrough bleeding a year in. They then switched me to this. I had no irregular bleeding. But over 6+ months me & my partner noticed a big change in my moods. I already struggle with depression and anxiety and it wasn't for 8 or so months that I had a full on mental breakdown unlike I have EVER had. I started thinking about it & I really have a low stress life at the moment so I looked for triggers. Then I thought about the fact that this is a TRI phasic pill which means constantly changing hormones from week to week. I feel like that hormonal swing could possibly be that trigger. Immediately set up an appointment and switched to a monophasic pill & my mood has changed tenfold. Not a good pill for people with already touchy mental health in my opinion."

Rab00 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2018

For Birth Control "So honestly, it isn't that bad for me... It helped with my acne, my boobs got bigger the first three months, and well.. I'm not pregnant. But honestly the erratic depression is too much to handle and I'm not a fan of taking a pill everyday so I'm going to switch to an IUD. I do get a lot of food cravings and I suspect that's why everyone posts about weight gain. Just be smarter than your cravings and work out more."

AllieBee March 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been using it for 7 months and I’ve had occasional spotting between periods. I've also gained A LOT of weight and my breasts grew as well. My skin has actually not broken out since I’ve started using it though. So far it’s been effective in preventing pregnancy, but I am on my last pack and I will probably try another brand."

Kimmywimmy January 27, 2018

For Birth Control "Pros: high sex drive, regular bleeding, little to no cramps, affordable. Cons: weight gain!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I love this birth control. It has worked well for me for three years. I've never had acne, and I still don't. Also, my weight is normal. However, my periods are just as painful as they've always been. I feel as though the birth control didn't affect me at all besides doing a great job at preventing pregnancy. I'm only switching because I would like to limit my periods to 4 times a year. But if the other birth control doesn't work out, I'll be back on this one."

Zuri4 December 15, 2017

For Birth Control "When I first started it I had terrible nausea and dizziness. I didn’t want to eat so much because of it so I lost a couple pounds. I stuck with it and after about 3 months it completely went away. It keeps my weight regulated, periods, helps my acne stay bare minimum or none at all. I recommend taking it daily with food because no food in your system can cause nausea."

Ilocecats2 December 13, 2017

For Birth Control "I switched from LoEstrin to this because that BC gave me terrible and painful acne mostly on my back and chest, to the point where I wouldn't wear anything deeper than a turtleneck. It also lowered my sex drive and caused dryness during sex lasting longer than 5 minutes. After about a month on Ortho my acne started to clear up and I now only have a teeny bit around the time of my period. I will say the very first week on this BC I had incredible mood swings and it really intensified my depression and anxiety but after the first week I had no problems. I'm not sure if this pill caused me to lose weight or if it was stress from school, either way in the past 3 months I've lost about 5 pounds. Wish it made my boobs grow though, oh well."

Annahh December 7, 2017

For Acne "Used for a month or two. Gave me terrible migraines daily, along with irritability and nausea. I didn’t notice any difference in my acne."

Jett. November 15, 2017

For Birth Control "Only lasted two weeks. Shortness of breath and irritated mood. Gives me panic attacks before bedtime. Makes me feel depressed and anxious. Throwing this garbage out tomorrow."

NP101 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for 6 months now. My doctor prescribed this for me initially for my acne and to regulate my period. The first week gave me really terrible nausea, so it was difficult to eat during the first few days. I stuck with it and its been perfectly fine. My acne cleared up, I lost a couple pounds, my sex drive has increased, my cycle has been very regular and no more nausea."

happygoluckyonthepill (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for almost nine months. I had to switch from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because my insurance no longer covered it but I had zero problems with that birth control. Within the first three months of Ortho Tri Cyclen, I didn't notice any significant changes, however, over the last six months I gained 9 pounds. My weight has been consistent for the last six years until I started this pill. Other than weight gain, I haven't had any major issues but I will be switching pills due to weight gain."

Carly22 September 21, 2017

For Ovarian Cysts "I am about to start my second month on oral contraceptive pill. I have experienced both positive and negative effects, all seem very normal. I have always had a great period - regular, 3-4 days, not too heavy, and hardly any menstrual cramps. My period would only bring awful, very unwanted mood swings. I would always be very emotional and angry. Within the last 2 months, I started to develop ovarian cysts that would rupture and my doctor suggested I take Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Here are my results Pros: - Mood swings are no longer an issue (my boyfriend has really noticed the difference in my emotional level) - No weight gain - Goodbye cysts! Cons: (these varied throughout the month) - Trouble sleeping w/ weird dreams - Nausea - Menstrual like cramps during placebo week"

Viv123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I took this from age 16 to 27, when I got married. Now I'm 36, and my husband and I have tried for 10 years and I can't get pregnant. My periods have been torture since I quit taking it. It is nothing unusual for me hurt so bad within the first 48 hours of starting my period, I wind up passing out on my cold tile floor naked in a puddle of sweat. I've spent a fortune trying to get pregnant, or at least find some reason behind the crippling effects of my period, which comes every 18 to 21 days. Maybe ortho isn't to blame, but I can't help but wonder if my inability to have a child is related in some way."

Aunt Brookie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've used Ortho for 17yrs off & on. I have PCOs, PMDD & painful uterine fibroids. This is the only pill that stops the most heaviest of bleeding within 24-32hr for me! Stops the horrid pain of my fibroids & cysts. I've never gained weight from it, it's always cleared up my skin & periods are 60% less painful & the flow is low & short lived! This one has always been perfect for me."

Nyk (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2017