User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 9 reviews 109 medications

Ovarian Cysts 7 reviews 55 medications

4.9
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 186 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Birth Control "Only lasted two weeks. Shortness of breath and irritated mood. Gives me panic attacks before bedtime. Makes me feel depressed and anxious. Throwing this garbage out tomorrow."

NP101 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for 6 months now. My doctor prescribed this for me initially for my acne and to regulate my period. The first week gave me really terrible nausea, so it was difficult to eat during the first few days. I stuck with it and its been perfectly fine. My acne cleared up, I lost a couple pounds, my sex drive has increased, my cycle has been very regular and no more nausea."

happygoluckyonthepill (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for almost nine months. I had to switch from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because my insurance no longer covered it but I had zero problems with that birth control. Within the first three months of Ortho Tri Cyclen, I didn't notice any significant changes, however, over the last six months I gained 9 pounds. My weight has been consistent for the last six years until I started this pill. Other than weight gain, I haven't had any major issues but I will be switching pills due to weight gain."

Carly22 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ovarian Cysts "I am about to start my second month on oral contraceptive pill. I have experienced both positive and negative effects, all seem very normal. I have always had a great period - regular, 3-4 days, not too heavy, and hardly any menstrual cramps. My period would only bring awful, very unwanted mood swings. I would always be very emotional and angry. Within the last 2 months, I started to develop ovarian cysts that would rupture and my doctor suggested I take Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Here are my results Pros: - Mood swings are no longer an issue (my boyfriend has really noticed the difference in my emotional level) - No weight gain - Goodbye cysts! Cons: (these varied throughout the month) - Trouble sleeping w/ weird dreams - Nausea - Menstrual like cramps during placebo week"

Viv123456789 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took this from age 16 to 27, when I got married. Now I'm 36, and my husband and I have tried for 10 years and I can't get pregnant. My periods have been torture since I quit taking it. It is nothing unusual for me hurt so bad within the first 48 hours of starting my period, I wind up passing out on my cold tile floor naked in a puddle of sweat. I've spent a fortune trying to get pregnant, or at least find some reason behind the crippling effects of my period, which comes every 18 to 21 days. Maybe ortho isn't to blame, but I can't help but wonder if my inability to have a child is related in some way."

Aunt Brookie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've used Ortho for 17yrs off & on. I have PCOs, PMDD & painful uterine fibroids. This is the only pill that stops the most heaviest of bleeding within 24-32hr for me! Stops the horrid pain of my fibroids & cysts. I've never gained weight from it, it's always cleared up my skin & periods are 60% less painful & the flow is low & short lived! This one has always been perfect for me."

Nyk (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went on this for heavy bleeding and Pain from Fibroids.I had to get a blood transfusion. It helped the severe pain in my lower back & stomach.The heavy bleeding not so much! I'm on my 3rd pack, and the first two months had heavy or just bleeding everyday of the month, and still some. Side effects I get are nauseousness a lot more depression, headaches ,upset stomach, gas more. I think and I read others say they got that too. Idk if the bleeding is breakthru bleeding or my fibroids, but I certainly don't need anymore bleeding. I have Anemia now from bleeding everyday."

Daisy doo July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "First week seriously nauseous... dizzy. Stayed on it and stuck with it. Acne. Worse than I've ever had. Long periods and cramps. Basically enhanced everything I didn't want it to. I'd rather not be on anything. I've stuck with it for two years but I can't handle the long periods, acne, hairy chest, and major weight gain. Like 20 pound weight gain. I work out and can't loose anything. Terrible headaches. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone."

GabGabGabGab (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill caused hair loss and fatigue. I noticed the side effects by the middle of week one. By the end of week 2 you could see patches of missing hair. I stopped using it at the end of week 2."

ANKO July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started this pill at 18 because I didn't have my period for 6 months. My period came back after the first month. My acne got worse for the first 6 months but eventually got a bit better, no more cystic acne. My appetite skyrocketed but my weight has stayed constant. It's also given me hot flashes. Lots of moodiness and anxiety but that might be unrelated to the pill, and it has improved somewhat. After 15 months I've decided to switch pills. That being said, the pill affects everyone differently so take my experience with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill over a year ago and nothing has changed hormonally for me. In the mornings if I don't eat at a certain time I do get nauseated and throw up but my cycle has always been on time and consistent. Maybe gained 10 pounds most but with exercise it helps. I have a very sensitive body and this is perfect for me. However it may not work for some people. Worst side effect I've had is not really sleeping might get five to six hours"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The right birth control is really dependent on the person. What didn't work for me might work for you. What happened with me is Tri-Cyclen gave me acne (never had a problem with acne before) and depression and anxiety. If you're feeling upset while on this pill I would go off it immediately. It took me a month off the pill before my skin went back to normal."

h23456 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm sad that I'm switching to another pill as I have been on Ortho tricyclen for so many years. No mood swings, no PMS, no depression, I feel the same every day. My complexion has never been so clear. Very light periods, no cramping."

Kloiber (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I switched to ortho tri cyclen from seasonique because I started getting acne. This completely cleared up my skin in a matter of weeks. However I ended up with break through bleeding for 2 weeks followed by a heavy period with painful cramps during the placebo week. It also got me extremely nauseous and dizzy. I'd rather have a little acne than have to deal with those side effects."

Lea333 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I love this birth control. Cleared up my acne, no mood swings, no weight gain, and light periods that happened like clock work!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "While I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen, I was hospitalized. I came very close to needing a blood transfusion. Halfway through a pack, I started to bleed heavily. I went to the ER and had ultrasounds done to be sure I wasn't having a miscarriage or cyst rupture. It was explained to me that the added hormones were not balancing well, which was causing one to crash and cause heavy bleeding. I was immediately taken off of birth control. I won't ever try it again. It was a very scary experience."

Cheree13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "After experiencing moderate to severe acne breakouts for all 4 of my high school years, my doctor prescribed me to Lornya, AKA Yaz or Gianvi. Being on Lornya actually made my acne breakouts worse, I waited it out to see if it was an adjustment period, but after 10 months I had a conversation with my doctor. She was ready to put me on accutane, but my mom didn't want to settle for that, so she did some research. I tried ortho tri-cyclen. After 3 months, my swollen lesions slowly disappeared. It honestly was a miracle. I never believed I could be confident without makeup, but this pill changed my life! Going on this medication was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with acne. :)"

Reviewaccount333 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking Tricyclen since I was 15 (I'm 18 now) solely for my heavy period. At first I was taking the 28, and it wasn't a high enough dosage (no idea how it works there) and I switched to 21. The heaviness stopped immediately. I never had any side effects, which was a plus. The only thing I have to say as a con is migraines. It just started recently, probably the last 6 months. Other than that, the medication is working! I recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of acne as well. I also used it for acne, and it disappeared within the month."

NotTricia_ April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had gotten diagnosed with PCOS haven't gotten a period in 6 months so, she thought that this can help regulate my cycle so, my provider decided to prescribe this BC to me and after taking it for a week and a half I have experienced breast tenderness, sore nipples and my breasts did grow a cup size. But I also experienced mild cramping like if I'm getting my period and headaches, nausea and no appetite. I would not think about taking this BC again cause I am starting to feel its not for me .. its works for some females not all .."

tawwy (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Ortho TriCyclen as soon as I turned 18 and used it until my husband and I wanted to conceive a few years later. I went back on it after my daughter was born. It made my periods regular, they were basically clockwork which was awesome. I had no acne, mood swings, or break through bleeding."

Stake eye April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking this birthcontrol since I was 15 (I am now 20), had terrible, terrible acne, bad periods and vicious mood swings prior to the medication. After I started taking it my acne disappeared with in 3 days, my periods were so much better. I notice if I stop taking it I gain a crazy amount of weight and my acne instantly comes back. My mood swings and depression may have gotten worse but it was due to other mental illness stuff. I have PCOS and this helps tremendously. I stopped taking it and took another one for a while and it made things so much worse. I had to go back on this one to have regular periods and feel okay. The first week after the sugar pills are literal hell sometimes, mimics pregnancy to a T but it gets better."

Kaeline April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Well, I've never missed a pill and I still got pregnant so... clearly not super effective."

kb1115 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started this contraceptive at 16 to control my acne and it did a great job. I had no problems, I did experience a lack of hunger it was kinda weird but it didn't effect my life. I just had to make myself eat. Now that I am 18 I have no side effects at all . I haven't really put it to the test in preventing pregnancy but I'm not pregnant and haven't been so that's also a plus."

MLB.km March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had terrible acne for as long as I can remember, always around my chin and cheek area. I felt so horrible about myself and finally went to the doctor and was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. It definitely did not work right away, but I did enjoy the light periods. I'd say after three of four months my acne started clearing beautifully, and I've been on the pill ever since. No weight gain, or mood swings. I felt like my normal self. Although, Maybe two months ago I forgot to get a refill and it took a while to get it so I obviously wasn't taking it for a week or two and my acne went crazy again! I also started to experience mood swings and was very tired. (for anybody thinking about stopping)"

lanah March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a happy person and never had depression or anxiety in all my life until I got on this BC. I started getting sad, then the sadness started to feel like depression... almost debilitating... then anxiety started to kick in. I thought maybe I should give it a little more time because my body was adjusting, but the last straw was 7 months into taking it, I started getting suicidal and PSYCHOTIC thoughts at a family party!! I was freaking out and it felt like I had voices in my head! I have a friend who loves this BC, but unfortunately it did not work for me :(. BC is really a trial and error and different for everyone. This is the only BC that has made me CRAZYYYY! I had a better experience with Nuva Ring and Lomedia 24Fe."

Miss1234 March 19, 2017