User Reviews for Clindamycin topical

Also known as: Cleocin T, Clindagel, Clindamax, Cleocin Vaginal, Clindesse, Clindacin ETZ, Evoclin, Clindets, C/T/S, Clinda-Derm, Clindets Pledget, Cleocin Ovules, ClindaReach Pledget, Clindacin P Clindacin PAC

Clindamycin topical has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 199 ratings on Drugs.com. 62% of those users who reviewed Clindamycin topical reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Acne   7.5
Bacterial Vaginitis   6.1
Perioral Dermatitis   2.4
Summary of Clindamycin topical reviews 6.9 199 reviews

Reviews for Clindamycin topical

Tia · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I am now on day 6 of clindamycin for BV and I haven't noticed a difference, I still have a smell but not like fish, but a smell you can still smell. At this point I have tried metro gel and pills but nothing I will be going back to my doctor soon. I haven't experienced any itching or burning just a smell that won't go away .”

Sandy · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

For Acne: “Not working for me ! Used for 20 days as per prescription but my pimples on chest increased more after 20 days plus side effects”

User3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 31, 2020

For Acne: “I had very mild to moderate acne for a couple of years. Only prescription I like. I was prescribed (clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide gel) a year and a half ago, and this topical antibiotic gel has dramatically improved my skin. I have barely get pimples on my face because it has really cleared my skin. KEEP IN MIND- It works best with benzoyl peroxide than by itself, and also it depends on what brand you get. However, make sure that you are also eating well and taking some good vitamins, probiotics, and essential minerals such as zinc. I use ultra-gentle Neutrogena facial cleanser, then niacinamide plus zinc by Ordinary serum and la Roche double repair spf30 prebiotic moisturizer in the morning and clindamycin at night. I hope I helped you out.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I had a bad episode of BV and was first prescribed Metronidazole but soon after that treatment I too began having a yeast infection. After being treated for the yeast (I think it was Flagyl), my BV returned. I have since then been prescribed Clindamycin but for whatever reason it won’t stay in me! I’ve used it as prescribed (bedtime only), but the next morning it’s coming out with my pee and when I wipe it is all on the tissue! Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there not enough medication left up in me to actually begin working???”

Stka · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2020

For Perioral Dermatitis: “This caused my facial rash to multiply. It caused tiny white heads and red bumps. I was taking oral antibiotics and added this cream as prescribed. I finished the course of antibiotics and was confused why things were getting worse. I stopped using this and literally within days my skin was clearer. It’s expensive too after insurance. Not worth it! My skin also responded well to Drunk Elephant Jelly Cleanser incase that helps anyone! I moisturize with Trader Joe’s Oil Free face lotion when my skin is struggling, and Ponds Deep Moisture face cream when things are calm.”

Some Penguins · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2020

For Acne: “For many many years I would get 2-3 boils a month on my buttocks. My buttocks was constantly inflamed and red. It was unbelievable painful. I was so embarrassed that I never went to the doctors, just tried to change things in my lifestyle. Needless to say, nothing worked. I finally decided to go to a dermatologist after over 10 years of dealing with it (crazy, I know). She prescribed me Clindamycin Phosate and within 2 weeks my condition was gone! I have been using it since February and I haven’t had a boil/massive pimple since then! My buttocks finally looks normal. No more redness, no more inflammation, and no more pain! I’m so thankful for this lotion!”

Jjbean · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “So I have had reoccurring BV for years . When I got an IUD put in, in February of this year they basically stopped well I had a case of BV pop up the middle of last week . My dr called in Clindesse which I had never used before . Let me tell you day two I was so itchy down around my vulva that I couldn’t even go to work. I had to go to the store and get maximum strength vagisil itch cream and wipes and the relief was very minor. I was in bed for two days crying I almost went to the hospital. It’s now day 5 and my legs are itching with minor vaginal itching and swelling. I don’t know if I can ever take this medication again . I’ve skipped the gym for a week because the thought of putting on leggings is making me wanna cry”

Legs · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

Clindesse (clindamycin) for Bacterial Vaginitis: “My doctor prescribed Clindesse along with Gynazole advising me to use them alphabetically "C" before "G" because of the expectancy of a yeast infection after using Clindesse. I noticed that this stuff really stayed in and clung over a course of days and comes out but NO SMELL. My cycle came on about 3 days after the dose and my blood didn't even have an odor. I use a flex cup so I can see and smell anything that comes out. Anyway I feel like this medication has renewed me and I felt soooooo fresh. Sure enough a few days after, I started to feel a bit itchy like a yeast infection is coming on but no discharge, luckily I had my trigger shot(Gynazole dose), so I was prepared. There really isn't anything like this out Flagyl use to be my go to but this one dose is amazing.”

Deb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I've used all antibiotics both orally and vaginally for BV including this one. They all work but the recurrence rate is very high. The reason is gardrenella, the bacteria that causes BV creates a biofilm to protect itself from the antibiotics. I finally found a doctor who prescribed this drug but had me use boric acid suppositories starting the first day on the antibiotics for a total of twenty one nights. According to the CDC, boric acid destroys the biofilm so the antibiotic can work and also restores the healthy acidic Ph balance in the vagina so the good bacteria (lactobacillus) can keep the bad bacteria (gardrenella) in check. As a maintenance plan, I use either clinadmycin or metrogel every night for five nights for six months and boric acid suppositories two nights a week. Amazon sells the suppositories. The key to stopping the hamster wheel of chronic BVs is to not just rely on one course of treatment but to also do maintenance.”

shalone · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

For Acne: “It burned SO BAD and it made my acne worsen.”

Fresh face · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

For Acne: “I've been using the taro clindamycin which has benzoyl peroxide for about a, month. I have many cysts and patches of acne of my chin and jawline. Or should I say I did. Has cleared mostly all just get the odd tiny whitehead now no cysts! I use it at night after cleansing and wait about two hours then apply a moisturizer so my skin doesn't dry out. Warning you need to ease in then apply everyday otherwise it will most certainly irritate your skin. My neck puffed up at first BC it's not used to much of anything on it. All in all my skin is happy just make sure you are moisturizing twice a day!”

ava7 · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

For Acne: “HORRIBLE! I was prescribed this for acne, after a few days my entire chest, back, and neck was red and covered in bumps and whiteheads. My skin is already oily but this made it 100x worst and my face got extremely bad, after a week I got prescribed an oral antibiotic and it finally started helping clear up my body after a few days but it took WEEKS for my skin to recover. Even now I am still trying to get rid of the scarring it caused.”

Anonymous April 29, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “A positive review!!! I was diagnosed with BV and was prescribed clindamycin vaginal cream for 7 days. After the first dosage, the bad odor had COMPLETELY disappeared. I had very, very, VERY mild side effects such as small lingering headache and maybe some constipation (might actually be due to my diet more so than the med). Also had some mild cramping. But that's it! I experienced no itching or burning or any diarrhea (knock on wood ) while on this med. I took my last dosage the night prior to writing this, still no bad odor or any major side effects. I'd highly recommend this medicine if you're not a pill person or if you're sensitive to flagyl. With insurance, I only had to pay $10 for the cream. I gave it 9/10 because using the applicator can be messy if you're not careful or take your time with it. And the cream is less convenient than taking an antibiotic pill but so far it's been absolutely worth it!!”

Ez · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

For Perioral Dermatitis: “Used clindamycin ointment for 2 days and it completely burnt my face. I'm now on the antibiotic tablets so *fingers crossed*.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

For Perioral Dermatitis: “The Clindamycin burns your skin like acid! DO NOT USE! Made my dermatitis 100 times worse after just one use!”

Tay tay March 18, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I enjoy using the clindamycin cream because it works best for my BV. The Flagyl pills are too strong and I would definitely recommend this because it works great.”

NeverGivingUp March 2, 2020

For Acne: “I was prescribed the gel form for ingrown hairs on my neck and acne. I’ve only been using this medication for 3 days applying twice per day, morning and night. The medication is very expensive. My pharmacist told me it just recently increased in price January 2020. My prescription after insurance was $68.45 for the small tube. I was prescribed 17 refills and an oral antibiotic to take daily for 3 months by my Dermatologist. At day three, I’m already seeing a drastic difference on my neck with the big swollen ingrown hair areas reduced in size and no longer bright red. I haven’t experienced any side effects yet. I’ll repost an update in 30 days.”

Carlee123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

For Acne: “I have been doing the topical clindamycin lotion for a little over a week and I'm amazed at how much my skin has cleared.. for no real reason my skin got cluster pimples on my cheeks jawline neck and nothing was helping I've always had micro breakouts but nothing like this after 7 days I've noticed a dramatic decline in new large deep pimples I'm still getting tiny ones but that's ok however I'm about to come off "that time" and that's when my skin would normally break out so I'll soon find out if it's truly worked fingers crossed”

Byebye February 19, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “Been with the same partner for 5 years...then one day his semen smelled of fish and very metallic and actually caused a rash on my chest and legs...I was convinced he had Trichomoniasis. After ruling out any STD, I was prescribed Clindamycin Phosphate Vaginal Cream 2% (I am allergic to Metronidazole) for seven days to be inserted at the same time every night (which I found difficult to do because of my work schedule...so I just made sure to get it in before the stroke of midnight) for BV. Apparently, with semen being alkaline, it lowered the pH balance of my vagina...It didn’t matter how much yogurt or probiotics I took in. After the first treatment, I could smell the difference the next morning. have one more treatment to go and have only experienced diarrhea once and mild itching of my arms and face, but no rash any where on my body. Maybe due to my insurance prescription plan, the medication only cost $9.00. It also came with 7 applicators.”

VA Girl February 13, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I've had two rounds of treatment of Clindamycin applications to treat my recurring BV. My first round felt like it didn't completely cure all the symptoms during my 10-day course but most symptoms subsided. 3-4 weeks later my BV came back with a vengeance. My second round of treatment was for 7-days with an additional prescription of diflucan to treat yeast. Normally I'll start feeling better within 2 days of the course of treatment but I never felt any of my symptoms got away accept the itching which I think the diflucan resolved. I experienced mild burning, cramping, fatigue, & diarrhea the entire time taking Clindamycin. Spoke with my GYN by day 3 & she said to continue treatment & I should get better. Then I spoke with her on my last day & told her my symptoms felt worst even have an odor I didn't have initially as well as burning & discharge. Now she's prescribed me a steroid ointment to mask the symptoms but not treat the BV.”

London · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

For Bacterial Vaginitis: “I'm reading comments and no one has said anything about the white cream turns brown by the end of the day. Had anyone experienced this? This is my 1st time taking this. Only did one insertion after reading the reviews will not do another in fear of the worst yeast infection of my life. (Yikes) don't feel like dealing with a burning vagina yano?? I took my 1st cream dosage last night and as of tonight its starting to come out but its turned brown. Who else has dealt with this?”

Dnairn · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Acne: “I was prescribed the topical gel "Taro-Clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide" for an acne therapy. Perhaps I used it wrong, or applied too much. Within 48 hours of the first application, I experienced a small rash breakout all over my face and neck. You can't see it until you're up close, but I can feel it on my skin and when I touch it. It's itchy and dry. This has happened to me before, but it was so long ago I'm not sure if it was from the same antibiotic.”

Angelica January 27, 2020

Clindesse (clindamycin) for Bacterial Vaginitis: “I read review's about Clindesse and was very skeptical. I used it and the foul odor went away in a matter of hours. I read that it gives you a yeast infection so I took something to prevent it. Fast forward...Clindesse is a very powerful antibiotic. It literally cleans out all of the old bacteria that metronidazole didn't get. I'm on day 5 and it's still excreting bacteria but not like in the beginning. I finally feel a sense of relief. Everyone's chemistry is different so it may work on one woman differently than another. I'd absolutely try it again.”

Smith · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2020

Clindesse (clindamycin) for Bacterial Vaginitis: “Clindesse is a life saver! My BV is cured! I had no real side effects. I always eat yogurt and take probiotics too! The drug is pricey but worth every penny! The one dose is awesome! I wish the price would go down though. I have to give this drug a 10 rating!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

Clindesse (clindamycin) for Bacterial Vaginitis: “I was prescribed Clindesse to treat BV. Over the last couple of years I've been dealing with recurring BV. Up until this prescription I've always been prescribed Flagyl. Apparently my body has become immune to it so my doctor wanted me to try this. It worked to treat the BV. The BV was completely gone in 2 days. However, I am now dealing with one of the WORST yeast infections I've ever had in my life. I've taken 2 doses of Diflucan and it's not going anywhere. Attempting a monistat 1 day cream tonight. I will never use this medication again!”