User Reviews for Clindamycin topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Clindagel, Cleocin Vaginal, Cleocin T, Clindacin P, Clindets Pledget, Clindamax, Clindacin ETZ, Clindesse, Clindets, C/T/S, Clinda-Derm, Cleocin Ovules, ClindaReach Pledget, Evoclin Clindacin PAC

Clindamycin topical Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Clindamycin topical

shalone · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

“It burned SO BAD and it made my acne worsen.”

Fresh face · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“I've been using the taro clindamycin which has benzoyl peroxide for about a, month. I have many cysts and patches of acne of my chin and jawline. Or should I say I did. Has cleared mostly all just get the odd tiny whitehead now no cysts! I use it at night after cleansing and wait about two hours then apply a moisturizer so my skin doesn't dry out. Warning you need to ease in then apply everyday otherwise it will most certainly irritate your skin. My neck puffed up at first BC it's not used to much of anything on it. All in all my skin is happy just make sure you are moisturizing twice a day!”

ava7 · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“HORRIBLE! I was prescribed this for acne, after a few days my entire chest, back, and neck was red and covered in bumps and whiteheads. My skin is already oily but this made it 100x worst and my face got extremely bad, after a week I got prescribed an oral antibiotic and it finally started helping clear up my body after a few days but it took WEEKS for my skin to recover. Even now I am still trying to get rid of the scarring it caused.”

NeverGivingUp March 2, 2020

“I was prescribed the gel form for ingrown hairs on my neck and acne. I’ve only been using this medication for 3 days applying twice per day, morning and night. The medication is very expensive. My pharmacist told me it just recently increased in price January 2020. My prescription after insurance was $68.45 for the small tube. I was prescribed 17 refills and an oral antibiotic to take daily for 3 months by my Dermatologist. At day three, I’m already seeing a drastic difference on my neck with the big swollen ingrown hair areas reduced in size and no longer bright red. I haven’t experienced any side effects yet. I’ll repost an update in 30 days.”

Carlee123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“I have been doing the topical clindamycin lotion for a little over a week and I'm amazed at how much my skin has cleared.. for no real reason my skin got cluster pimples on my cheeks jawline neck and nothing was helping I've always had micro breakouts but nothing like this after 7 days I've noticed a dramatic decline in new large deep pimples I'm still getting tiny ones but that's ok however I'm about to come off "that time" and that's when my skin would normally break out so I'll soon find out if it's truly worked fingers crossed”

Dnairn · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

“I was prescribed the topical gel "Taro-Clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide" for an acne therapy. Perhaps I used it wrong, or applied too much. Within 48 hours of the first application, I experienced a small rash breakout all over my face and neck. You can't see it until you're up close, but I can feel it on my skin and when I touch it. It's itchy and dry. This has happened to me before, but it was so long ago I'm not sure if it was from the same antibiotic.”

Anonymous December 13, 2019

“I used clindamycin for 2 days for my acne and it completely burned my face, my chin and cheek started to peel at first and my skin is basically raw from the places I put them in. My face is bright red and it’s impossible to put on makeup or any type of moisturizer to help without it burning so bad. I am so insecure now. I will definitely never be using this product again.”

bee December 10, 2019

“I just started using the clindamycin gel. I am on day 2 but I like the fact that it is a gel, it stays on well and does not cause sweating unlike some other face creams. I hope it works.”

Jacky · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2019

“I had acne in my teen years and my early twenties and then the acne started to come in constant break outs that were becoming painful. I started clindamycin topical with tretinonin topical (to help with the acne scars) prescribed by my doctor. I noticed slightly less acne inflammation within a couple of weeks. The real results started to show a couple months in. I think it is worth waiting it out to see if it might improve. I had random acne flare ups throughout the first year that were minimal in comparison to the flare ups I had before. Currently, I am in my second year of using clindamycin and I no longer have acne break outs (even if I ate bad food that would normally make my acne worse). It took approximately three months into using the topical before I felt confident enough to no longer need to wear makeup. Highly recommend this product. I hope it works for you too.”

nw · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“What’s so odd is that I used the clindamycin application for 2 months and it completely cleared my acne and made my skin amazing, now at about 3 months my skin is horrible. They say give it 3 months and it should clear all your Inflammatory acne. I had like 10 deep inflamed pimples that have left pitted scars which I’ve never gotten before, and my skin is extremely textured compared to before (comedones). I’m giving it one more month to see if it improves, only one large inflamed pimple left on my face and I better not get many more! What it does help for sure is inflammation and I can definitely tell the difference before and after I apply it. Maybe I’m having antibiotic resistance.”

mandy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 20, 2019

“I was on the topical form of Clindamycin for about a year and a half. Within the first month or two of applying it, my cystic acne was gone. I had tried everything, but nothing really worked until my dermatologist prescribed me Clindamycin. He also put me on two other medicines to help with it (Tretinoin and a birth control); I didn't realize it was this treatment that did the work until I ran out of it. Now that I've stopped using it, my cysts are back. I'm not kidding when I say Clindamycin is what fixed my skin.”

Tricia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

“57yo woman with bizarre adult onset acne on forehead near hairline and cheeks. Not the t-zone . It didn’t matter how much I cleaned it. My doctor prescribe clindamycin gel 1%. My acne cleared up quickly, but added bonus. My skin looks the best it has in 20 years! It’s practically glowing. I’m very pale and the red/purple spots left by acne faded much quicker than normally would have too. It took a two or three months before I realized this added benefit. I swear my ageing skin looks younger. Not the reason I use it, but love this part of it!!”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

“Got this clindamycin that you apply to your face for my facial acne (mild acne) hoping that it would clear everything up but it didn't. It did nothing for my acne and possibly made it worse, I've been using it for around 4-5 weeks now and am going back to the doctor to try something different. Would not try it again.”

mayuri · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

“clindamycin has reduce my pimple. My skin is now glowing.”

anonamouse · Taken for 10 years or more September 3, 2019

“I used clindamycin phosphate 1% GEL (on a clean face) and I got a rash on my face quickly. I then washed my face again, and the rash subsided. I then used clindamycin phosphate 1% LOTION, and the acne began to clear up quickly. I have been using clindamycin in lotion, gel, and the swab packets since about 2000, and it usually clears up my face very quickly, so I knew what to expect under the usual formula. The lump under the blemish sort of dissipates, and it goes away. I have an old tube of the gel and it does not cause a rash. It may be an allergy to any changes in the gel base. I will use allergy cream in future to see what is a zit, and what is the rash around the zit. They also usually tell you to use benzoyl peroxide soap once a month or it stops being effective. I found that to work. I used a coupon from the Dr's office.”

Catz · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“Prescribed the topical clindamycin to control minor acne in back and chest. Within 3 days I had broken out worse than I have ever in my life. It's so bad. I immediately stopped and 2 weeks later the acne is still terrible and not going away. Complete opposite of what was suppose to happen. If it doesn't clear up soon I may be going back to the derm.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

“My acne was not terrible, but my dermatologist put me on clindamycin phosphate topical gel 1% to clear up what was there. She did say it could take up to 3 months and my skin may get worse. I have almost reached my 3 months and my skin has gotten MUCH worse and it feels like the acne is multiplying. It has left scars and the acne that I continue to get takes forever to go away. I am very sad and disappointed, it has ruined my confidence.”

Rosa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

“I have had the most stubborn acne on my forehead since I was in middle school. On top of that I always would pop my pimples which left horrible scarring. NOTHING worked and I mean nothing worked until my doctor prescribed the gel form of Clindamycin and within the next morning my forehead was already improving. I absolutely swear by it”

RCP14 · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“My son who is 13 just started using this product due to acne in his t-zone. He has really big pores in between his eyes and always breaks out there, on nose and chin. He was already using Differin every night which helped clear up acne for the most part, after the "purge" but he still had breakouts and it was spreading to his cheeks near the nose. Derma prescribed Clindimycin topical gel and for two weeks since starting, his face has really cleared up. Here is the regimen: at night, wash your face with a mild soap (doc recommended Dove Beauty Bar), wait 15 minutes for face to dry. Then use Differin in your problem areas, he just puts it in the tzone. In the morning, wash your face, wait 15 minutes. Then apply the Clindamycin in the affected areas in a thin layer. Use sunscreen (oil free) when going outside. This is working so far, will continue to pray!”

Anonymous July 15, 2019

“I have been using this lotion for about a month now at first it helped reduce my pimples but I noticed I kept getting more and more pimples it never helped clear my acne, but it may have not worked for me but it might work for others everyone’s skin is different just use what you notice works for your skin”

Ms. P · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2019

“Trust me... It works! My skin is as smooth and pretty as it was in my 20’s. I always receive compliments.”

KP · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

“I have been using the Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Solution USP 1% with a Tretinoin Cream for my acne. I'm still on my first week but I have definitely noticed an improvement on my face. The only downside is my skin is extremely dry before the cream and about 30 minutes after the cream has been absorbed into my skin. I'm not sure if it's the cream or due to me not washing my face properly before using it. It might not work the same for everyone but this stuff has definitely been saving my life. I was so embarrassed to take pictures due to how bad my acne was getting and then I was prescribed this by my doctor and it has made my face look so much better.”

Tabby1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 29, 2019

“I’ve been using a topical Clindamycin for over 2 years now to help clear my acne, it’s definitely a miracle drug for me! I never have any problems with my skin while using this product. Highly recommend! But it’s not a cure more like a long term temporary fix, my acne always comes back when I run out sadly. But while I have it, MY SKIN IS FLAWLESS! Good luck!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2019

“clindamycin that you apply to your skin is great for my acne Its clear my face 90% , so def. worth it”

Fighter · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2019

“I’ve been using for 4 days now, trying to fight off Folliculitis. Maybe it’s too soon but it has done nothing. I’m also on oral antibiotics plus this gel and nothing is working. So frustrating .”

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)