User Reviews for Clindamycin topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Cleocin T, Clindagel, Clindamax, Clindesse, Clinda-Derm, Clindacin P, Evoclin, Clindets, Cleocin Vaginal, C/T/S, Clindets Pledget, Cleocin Ovules, ClindaReach Pledget, Clindacin ETZ Clindacin PAC

Clindamycin topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 124 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 70% of those users who reviewed Clindamycin topical reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Clindamycin topical Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 326 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Clindamycin topical

Elizabeth · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

“This product is pretty good for acne. However, it does not have a seal on the bottle. Therefore, I don't feel comfortable using this brand.”

skinlover · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2021

“Clindamycin solution is 10/10 amazing! I used this in high school and college with the soft spongey applicator. Never had a blemish for years.”

Rida April 11, 2021

“With this lotion I also used Dalacin C capsules for 1 week for two times morning & evening. I highly recommend this lotion”

Lilyashlyn February 10, 2017

“I needed to find a way to review the clindamycin gel because oh my god I am finally free of acne and I feel like I need to tell the whole world. For 9 years I struggled with anything from blackheads to horrible cystic acne. I have very oily skin and my pores get clogged so much. Trust me when I tell you, I have tried EVERYTHING!! I am literally like a walking encycolpedia on skin. I can't believe all it took was this gel. Why couldn't someone have told me that this was all I needed?!!?? How did I go so long without knowing about this? 1 week after using this and I do not have any acne on my face. It's all gone. I can't stop looking in the mirror and touching my face and crying. Try this gel!! It might change your life like it did for me!”

Jacky · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2019

“I had acne in my teen years and my early twenties and then the acne started to come in constant break outs that were becoming painful. I started clindamycin topical with tretinonin topical (to help with the acne scars) prescribed by my doctor. I noticed slightly less acne inflammation within a couple of weeks. The real results started to show a couple months in. I think it is worth waiting it out to see if it might improve. I had random acne flare ups throughout the first year that were minimal in comparison to the flare ups I had before. Currently, I am in my second year of using clindamycin and I no longer have acne break outs (even if I ate bad food that would normally make my acne worse). It took approximately three months into using the topical before I felt confident enough to no longer need to wear makeup. Highly recommend this product. I hope it works for you too.”

User3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 31, 2020

“I had very mild to moderate acne for a couple of years. Only prescription I like. I was prescribed (clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide gel) a year and a half ago, and this topical antibiotic gel has dramatically improved my skin. I have barely get pimples on my face because it has really cleared my skin. KEEP IN MIND- It works best with benzoyl peroxide than by itself, and also it depends on what brand you get. However, make sure that you are also eating well and taking some good vitamins, probiotics, and essential minerals such as zinc. I use ultra-gentle Neutrogena facial cleanser, then niacinamide plus zinc by Ordinary serum and la Roche double repair spf30 prebiotic moisturizer in the morning and clindamycin at night. I hope I helped you out.”

NeverGivingUp March 2, 2020

“I was prescribed the gel form for ingrown hairs on my neck and acne. I’ve only been using this medication for 3 days applying twice per day, morning and night. The medication is very expensive. My pharmacist told me it just recently increased in price January 2020. My prescription after insurance was $68.45 for the small tube. I was prescribed 17 refills and an oral antibiotic to take daily for 3 months by my Dermatologist. At day three, I’m already seeing a drastic difference on my neck with the big swollen ingrown hair areas reduced in size and no longer bright red. I haven’t experienced any side effects yet. I’ll repost an update in 30 days.”

Carlee123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“I have been doing the topical clindamycin lotion for a little over a week and I'm amazed at how much my skin has cleared.. for no real reason my skin got cluster pimples on my cheeks jawline neck and nothing was helping I've always had micro breakouts but nothing like this after 7 days I've noticed a dramatic decline in new large deep pimples I'm still getting tiny ones but that's ok however I'm about to come off "that time" and that's when my skin would normally break out so I'll soon find out if it's truly worked fingers crossed”

Rosa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

“I have had the most stubborn acne on my forehead since I was in middle school. On top of that I always would pop my pimples which left horrible scarring. NOTHING worked and I mean nothing worked until my doctor prescribed the gel form of Clindamycin and within the next morning my forehead was already improving. I absolutely swear by it”

caryan March 20, 2017

“As I started college my skin broke out like no other, cystic type and absolutely embarrassing. I was too embarrassed to go out just because my skin was so bad. I always take care of my skin and have a very clean so I had no idea why this was happening. I tried retinol and it cleared my skin up some but it wasn't worth the pain and price. My skin felt like it had chemical burns all the time and was red. After being prescribed Clindamycin, my face cleared up in a day. I have no idea how this is possible but I've only been using it for the days and my skin feels so soft and acne free. Can't rave about this enough!!!! ~I have never written a review for anything before but this product deserved it”

Fresh face · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“I've been using the taro clindamycin which has benzoyl peroxide for about a, month. I have many cysts and patches of acne of my chin and jawline. Or should I say I did. Has cleared mostly all just get the odd tiny whitehead now no cysts! I use it at night after cleansing and wait about two hours then apply a moisturizer so my skin doesn't dry out. Warning you need to ease in then apply everyday otherwise it will most certainly irritate your skin. My neck puffed up at first BC it's not used to much of anything on it. All in all my skin is happy just make sure you are moisturizing twice a day!”

mandy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 20, 2019

“I was on the topical form of Clindamycin for about a year and a half. Within the first month or two of applying it, my cystic acne was gone. I had tried everything, but nothing really worked until my dermatologist prescribed me Clindamycin. He also put me on two other medicines to help with it (Tretinoin and a birth control); I didn't realize it was this treatment that did the work until I ran out of it. Now that I've stopped using it, my cysts are back. I'm not kidding when I say Clindamycin is what fixed my skin.”

Some Penguins · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2020

“For many many years I would get 2-3 boils a month on my buttocks. My buttocks was constantly inflamed and red. It was unbelievable painful. I was so embarrassed that I never went to the doctors, just tried to change things in my lifestyle. Needless to say, nothing worked. I finally decided to go to a dermatologist after over 10 years of dealing with it (crazy, I know). She prescribed me Clindamycin Phosate and within 2 weeks my condition was gone! I have been using it since February and I haven’t had a boil/massive pimple since then! My buttocks finally looks normal. No more redness, no more inflammation, and no more pain! I’m so thankful for this lotion!”

SMS01 March 10, 2015

“My PA prescribed this for me after I complained of bad cystic acne at 30 years old. This medicine has been nothing short of life-changing. It took only a few days before I started seeing my skin clearing up. Now a few months in, I can easily go out without makeup! I honestly feel like a new person.”

Anonymous December 13, 2019

“I used clindamycin for 2 days for my acne and it completely burned my face, my chin and cheek started to peel at first and my skin is basically raw from the places I put them in. My face is bright red and it’s impossible to put on makeup or any type of moisturizer to help without it burning so bad. I am so insecure now. I will definitely never be using this product again.”

Marnita January 22, 2015

“I have very bad acne to the point I was afraid to go out so I went to the dermatologist and he gave me two antibiotics one clindamycin lotion and panoxyl benzoyl peroxide I just started using Monday and 4 days later I see feel difference in my skin I'm so glad I can show my beautiful face.”

Tricia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

“57yo woman with bizarre adult onset acne on forehead near hairline and cheeks. Not the t-zone . It didn’t matter how much I cleaned it. My doctor prescribe clindamycin gel 1%. My acne cleared up quickly, but added bonus. My skin looks the best it has in 20 years! It’s practically glowing. I’m very pale and the red/purple spots left by acne faded much quicker than normally would have too. It took a two or three months before I realized this added benefit. I swear my ageing skin looks younger. Not the reason I use it, but love this part of it!!”

Robyn · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2019

“So I am on my first week of clindamycin for acne. Reading these reviews I was thinking- man my acne will be gone in 3 days...not true So far it appears to getting worse I have comedonal acne caused by a new birth control I was prescribed, prior I never had acne just a pimple on my chin or odd place once in a while. Now I have about 100-200 small little bumps on my face is clusters on my chin, jawline, cheeks. It’s pretty depressing, I hardly want to go out anymore since I look like I’m just growing weird lumps on my face. My doctor prescribed me this, I feel as though so far it is causing more bumps but also making them smaller and it has inflamed some of them to turn into actual pus filled zits. But they dry up fast. One week in and my acne is still here. It’s hard because you want a quick fix but I know that can’t happen. I will update in a month and let you guys know if this can treat comedonal acne! Let’s hope, fingers crossed”

laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2019

“I’ve been dealing with pretty nasty rounds of cystic acne for the past couple years. They would scab, be HUGE, and almost impossible to cover up. I was so insecure! I’m assuming it was hormonal, but I’ve also had a problem with picking my face as well so often times bacteria would get in there and make it a hundred times worse. I’ve been using Clindamycin that you apply since January and it literally cleared my skin over the first five days of me using it. It works till I run out, and then my skin it pretty clear after a week of not using it if I’ve been using it for a few weeks prior. I just got a new round and I was breaking out horribly and my face was mega red. I put some on my face last night and woke up with NO swelling on my face and the redness gone!! Even scabbing stopped. This stuff saved my self esteem!”

tonyv. May 21, 2015

“I am a 60 year male with adult acne.I feel like I am reliving my teen years. My scalp, my face and my back and neck started to break out. I tried several prescription meds, when I finally used clindamycin topical gel I saw a huge difference in the condition. Now I am mostly all clear and I am also very happy. Also no side effects. I truly hope that everyone could have these results especially you teens.God bless. truly yours, Porkchops 5/21/2015”

ToriEgypt March 9, 2015

“This lotion actually stopped my breakouts in one week of usage. By the second week, my skin began to even it's tone. If on the rare occasnio I do have a breakout, the pimple dries out in two days and doesn't leave a scar! It's very costly though for such a small amount of product.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2016

“I LOVE THIS STUFF! I'm not a person with horrible acne but I started to break out more and that was annoying so my doctor prescribed me this and seriously over night my face was 10x better! Now I'm on day 6 and I only have two zits and my face looks really good! I've had no irritation or redness, but I had a little dry skin which was easily fixed with a more moisturizing lotion! Over all I give this product a 10/10 it's so amazing!”

nw · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“What’s so odd is that I used the clindamycin application for 2 months and it completely cleared my acne and made my skin amazing, now at about 3 months my skin is horrible. They say give it 3 months and it should clear all your Inflammatory acne. I had like 10 deep inflamed pimples that have left pitted scars which I’ve never gotten before, and my skin is extremely textured compared to before (comedones). I’m giving it one more month to see if it improves, only one large inflamed pimple left on my face and I better not get many more! What it does help for sure is inflammation and I can definitely tell the difference before and after I apply it. Maybe I’m having antibiotic resistance.”

Use it!!! December 21, 2015

“I had never had acne until I turned 22, an occasional pimple but a suddenly I began getting cystic acne; it was not severe but bad. Honestly, I had tried nearly everything for it. Thankfully I was only getting it on my face, but the cysts kept growing and after trying months of prescription levels and regimens of retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, doxycycline, and a few others- I had no to very little improvement. I was about to be put on acutane- thankfully I asked my doctor about clindamycin. Within a week of starting this my face actually stopped hurting. Within 90 days most of my acne had cleared up with a few deeper cysts that had decreased in size by at least 80%. 6 months later and my skin looks like normal healthy skin again. This stuff truly changed my life and gave me my confidence back. Can not recommend it enough.”

L0STF0XX · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2016

“I have suffered with severe acne on my face and back for years now. I can't recall when it first became a serious health issue that impeded on my personal, social, and sexual life; but a good guess would be that the severity increased around seventeen years old. I am now twenty-two. My acne is worst on upper back - extremely painful cystic lumps, as well as enormous whiteheads. I can't reach these to treat, and popping leaves unsightly scars; as well as being excruciatingly painful. The acne on my back has caused me many sleepless nights due to pain, swelling, and discomfort. I also have had acne on my face that causes a large amount of pressure, migraines, and whiteheads on my chin. Two weeks on this, and it's clearing up very well! NO s/a”

Cystic Acne April 1, 2019

“This topical medication is AMAZING. Im a 23 y/o male and I've always struggled with mild cystic acne. I have Clyndamycin Phosphate (lotion) 1%. Before starting, I had a cyst on my face that would not clear for 4 weeks and two more forming. Legit overnight the swelling went down. I have been using this for about 7 days now (once a day) in combination with a 10% BPO (Benzoyl Peroxide) face wash and my skin has already begun to clear. This product won't cause "purging" like a retinoid or adapalene, because it is an antibiotic and will not cause your skin to turn over, which is a huge plus if you're not dealing with moderate to severe acne (in my non-medical opinion). Some people say it causes drying, which it may. It has Stearic Alcohol in it, so if you're worried about drying I would wait about 30 mins after washing your face to apply, as a freshly washed face will increase likelihood of irritation.”

ava7 · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“HORRIBLE! I was prescribed this for acne, after a few days my entire chest, back, and neck was red and covered in bumps and whiteheads. My skin is already oily but this made it 100x worst and my face got extremely bad, after a week I got prescribed an oral antibiotic and it finally started helping clear up my body after a few days but it took WEEKS for my skin to recover. Even now I am still trying to get rid of the scarring it caused.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

“My acne was not terrible, but my dermatologist put me on clindamycin phosphate topical gel 1% to clear up what was there. She did say it could take up to 3 months and my skin may get worse. I have almost reached my 3 months and my skin has gotten MUCH worse and it feels like the acne is multiplying. It has left scars and the acne that I continue to get takes forever to go away. I am very sad and disappointed, it has ruined my confidence.”

Learn more about Acne