User Reviews for Flagyl

1 review 65 medications
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

Summary of Flagyl reviews 7.1 208 reviews

Reviews for Flagyl

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed flagyl for my BV when I say this drug is a miracle I just finished my 500mg for 7 days. I did have side effects I felt very fatigue but overall this dug did exactly what it was suppose to do, very happy with the results and would recommend this antibiotic"

happy (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I went to ER with acute diverticulitis and was prescribed Metronidazole along with Cipro and pain pills. I was administered a couple pain shots and thought I could go home and take these meds and get better. Three days later I was back in the ER and let them admit me this time. The terrible headaches, horrific taste in my mouth, nausea and vomiting was about more than I could bare. I have had sleeve surgery and so my stomach is small, but this gave me such bad heartburn and indigestion, I could not imaging a medicine making a person this sick. I, also, had diarrhea with every bathroom trip and very dark urine. I couldn't even stand the taste of water or the food I ate tasted horrible along with a lack of appetite, lethargy, and light headedness. I finished my prescription of ten days, but I hope I never have to take this horrible drug again. One good thing about it is my diverticulitis pain is gone, and I pray it will never return."

sister2 September 15, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I am a Flagyl survivor. Today I finish my 48 hours of it getting out of my system following 7 harrowing days of physical assault. Day 3 brought debilitating stomach pain, incapacitating nausea, dizziness/brain fog. The hospital had to confirm for me that the diverticulitis was not worse it was the medication’s side effects. What??? Is this 2018? I am a healthcare provider and this has given me insight into people’s distrust of the medical profession. The medicine first patented in 1963...now in generic form...and never an attempt to refine the med to reduce side effects? Or produce alternatives? I have an intense full time job, got lucky I was sick over the long weekend (????) and just made it through day 6 and 7 at work with the use of partially effective Zofran (anti-nausea). Find any alternative drug or treatment. I just lost 10 days of my life first to illness then to the treatment. I believe quality of life matters. Good luck diverticulitis suffers! I’m with you in spirit."

Jame (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I am taking flagyl and cipro together. I don't know what is worse - what I'm taking it for or the misery it is causing me."

big wave dave September 1, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I was supposed to take this twice a day for 7 days. I took it for BV. The first 5 days were fine! It seems to clear up the smell and discharge really quick! I had very few symptoms until the 5th day. On the 5th day it made my throat swell up to the point were I could barely swallow. Then it gave me extreme fatigue, lightheadedness, dizziness, and made me feel weak. I felt high. I stopped taking it after five days. I went to see my doctor the next day and hopefully I won’t have to take this again."

Liv (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I’m on my last day of this medicine taking it for Bacterial vaginosis (BV). Terrible taste going down have to swallow the pill fast but the smell from BV was gone around the second day of talking the medication. Very good antibiotic"

Kay (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "After having constant diarrhea for 10 days and losing 8lbs. I was prescribed 500mg X 3/day for 7 days. I just finished my last dose. I also took the pills with a probiotic. I did experience nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and a headache throughout the treatment. However, none of the side effects were extreme. I have had some normal BMs but I still have diarrhea. I’m just curious to know if it will go away or will I have to be prescribed another dose."

Alice (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Nausea side effect hit me hard the last 3 days and the metallic dry mouth was present all day after taking."

VM (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Diverticulitis "Took Cipro and Flagyl for a Diverticulitis flare up. I paid extra for the name brand of Cipro. Generic brand gave me all the nasty side effects people are sharing. I also found I ate something before taking either meds made a huge difference. I have had minimal side effects from either eating first plus I drink a bottle of water with every pill. This was the worst flare up I've experienced. Hopefully with some lifestyle changes it will be my last."

Anonymous July 29, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I give this medicine a five because yes it is helping with my BV being 27 pregnant but let me tell you, I took it two days and stopped. The side affects are just horrible and excruciatingly painful to the point I almost went to ER. I still have small slight headache today but it's tolerable. I don't feel as sick to my stomach today, my head thankfully isn't point anymore and hopefully will stay that way. I don't care what infection I have I will NEVER EVER take this nasty horrible flagyl EVER AGAIN!!!!"

Baby girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I just spent 2-1/2 days in hospital for cellulitis and lymphadenopathy and lymphadenitis in my leg. Lower leg cellulitis..upper leg from knee to inguinal lymph node lymphadenopathy/lymphadenitis. Spent first 2 days on IV vancomycin and Zosyn round the clock. Switched to IV Flagyl and Keflex for 1/2 day until discharge. Prescribed oral Flagyl 500 mg 3 times/day for 8 days and Keflex 500 4 times/day for 8 days. Took first dose. So far so good!!!"

Moho1957 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed Flagyl 500 mg for bacterial vaginitis for 7 days. Horrible taste and you have to swallow it quickly, but pill isn't too big so no problem with that. No side effects and smell from BV had cleared up after just three pills (taken twice daily)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I took this for a diverticulitis abscess for ten days. I do not handle antibiotics well. I found with this one you definitely need to eat something with it. If I didn't my stomach would hurt. Mild diarrhea, tolerable. Some nausea. Otherwise no problems."

KC (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

For Diverticulitis "This stuff works if you can get through it. Have taken it along with Cipro many times for bouts of diverticulitis and once when hospitalized with C Diff. Now that I'm in my 70s is really hard to deal with the side effects. Calling doctor now to see if there's anything else I can take besides this. This was a milder case of the sickness. So harsh on the body."

Genie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "After reading all these horrible reviews I was terrified to take this medicine . I literally was feeling anxious at the thought of it .... However , most people don’t leave reviews and if they do , they are more likely bad ones . First , you really should take zofran or another anti nausea med 20 mins before you take a pill of Flagyl . I took Zofran , ate something , waited 20 mins and took the flagyl . First dose I didn’t feel too bad ...tingling in my hands and arms and mild nausea. I’m on the 4 day of 7 and it’s really ok . You may feel some minor side effects but don’t let the reviews scare you !! And I’m 103 pound female who usually has to take a lot of antibiotics...you’ll be ok . If you are prone to get nervous or panic at every little different feeling you have , take a low dose of Valium with it . It’s safe and I did it the first few times . Yes the taste of pill isn’t best either , but it’s a minor annoyance"

Ranbyyouagain (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed 1 every 12 hours for 7 days. Absolutely no side effects besides a change in the color of my urine. I’ve taken some doses with food and some without and was completely find. Everyone’s body reacts differently. It tastes terrible but, once you’ve had to take a giant iron pill that literally dissolves at the slightest touch of liquid, the taste isn’t as bad. Symptoms subsided by the 2nd day for me. I’m on day 5 and I feel so much better. I accidentally missed a dose last night but took it as soon as I realized. My sister is a nurse so she’s helping me through this. My doctor also prescribed me a pill for yeast infection right after these 7 days are over so that nothing else can grow down there! Hang in there ladies! IMPORTANT: Whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL! Please do not ignore the label!"

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I had BV and was prescribed this medicine. I took 2 pills daily for 7 days. The first couple of days were fine. Within the first two days the odor and discharge went away but my doctor told that even if it goes away, you have to take all the pills. The last 3 days were annoying for me. I had the metal taste in my mouth which was disgusting and I experienced some nausea. It's wasn't all that bad but I was ready to be done with the pills. I recommend taking the pills with tons of food and water. Also please don't drink alcohol or take drugs while using this."

Yasmin (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "This drug works period. Was diagnosed with mild BV back in Nov during a routine exam. Your vagina is a naturally, well operating machine, and bad and good bacteria is necessary for it to do it's job. Had I known that, I wouldn't even bothered taking this in the first place, but I did, got a yeast infection after that {which is bound to happen}, took my meds for that, and now I'm back to feeling just fine. I'm saying all of this because I feel like as women we are bombarded with vaginal health products telling us to eat this, take that... the bottom line is, fluctuating ph levels, discharge, all of that is perfectly normal. I've had many doctors tell me, if you happen to get in infection, just let your medicine do it's job. Don't douche, overdo it on foods, and even probiotics. Which, in most cases aren't even helpful to begin with. Water is, and will always be your best friend. Load up on it if you are on this medication. Eat well, but no need to overdo it."

Diana March 14, 2018

For Peritonitis "I am one of these people who has bad gums (no matter how much time I spend on my dental care). Over the last ten years I have had four tooth infections so severe I was almost hospitalised with one of them. I have a high tolerance for pain and I can honestly tell you that giving birth was nothing compared to my tooth infections (and I have had three children). My dentist prescribed Flagyl which has been the only medication that works for these severe tooth infections. I always keep some in my medicine cabinet for an emergency. I think we need to be open-minded about side effects as our bodies are different and what works for one will not work for another. I have never suffered any of the side effects that can come with taking this medication."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

For Diverticulitis "Strong stomach ache"

Jose1969 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2018

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease "So I started this medication 2 1/5 days ago, and let me tell ya... first day was ok, also I'm taking it with Bentyl for IBS and stomach spasms. Now day 2 was weird for me I had this feeling like I had been drinking all night or doing drugs. I couldn't get warm I felt super high, slurred speech, kept repeating to my boyfriend that "this medicine makes me feel like I'm dying." I had to take a Xanax just to fall asleep. Day 3 and I've taken my first pill of the day.. I can eat regularly my vision is clearer... idk I still have 4 days left so we'll see."

TropixBartender January 3, 2018

For Diverticulitis "WOW, cipro and flagyl drain your entire body. I have fought with diverticulitis off and on since age 37 and I am now age 45. I have gone 2 years since my last bout with diverticulitis. At first I hated the drugs and quit after 2-3 days - only for the pain to come back within a month. So I quickly learned to stay the course of the drugs, then I learned to monitor my diet better because my eating habits was the culprit. When I was 43, I had a flare up from diverticulitis, since I was used to the symptoms I drank a lot of water and tried to get by the pain, not a good idea man that diverticulitis spread through my urine tract, then to my liver...all because I didn’t want to take the medication...probably the worse episode"

Seandini December 18, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "This drug almost killed me. I took 400mg twice a day x 5 days. First day was ok. The second day I experienced stomachache, agitation, insomnia, nausea, hallucination, nightmares. The third day rushed to hospital with blurred vision which lasted for over 11 hours. Never again."

Albertino76 December 11, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "Went to the dr...realized I had bv...asked dr for creme flagyl but I was prescribed the pills instead. I eat ice usually everyday and drink only water... since the pills, I have had this metal taste and water especially doesn't taste right.. tastes like lead or something....food everything... how long does it take for this taste go away"

Brit8810 December 7, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in July of this year. Had my first round of antibiotics in August (21 days) I'm now on my 2nd round of antibiotics this time I’m on 500mg of Flagyl and 875mg of Augmentin. I’m about 2 weeks in or 14 days in and I feel horrible. Back pain, pain in both my feet and hands. Dizziness, very fatigued. All I want to do is sleep. I had changes in my urine and stools. Went to ER cause I thought I was literally going to die. I suffer from anxiety so this a medication just makes it worse. I have racing heart rate and all my labs and CT of my organs came back normal thank god. Funny how meds can fix one thing but cause all sorts of other things."

Eveette December 2, 2017