User Reviews for Flagyl

Flagyl has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 356 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Bacterial Infection
10.0
Summary of Flagyl reviews 6.1 356 reviews

Reviews for Flagyl

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I thought I had covid but I was experiencing the affects of taking this Flagyl Pure nightmare!!!!!!! Don’t take it. Warn everyone, friends, family, strangers. No one should experience this. I feel angry now with my gyno for doing this to me.”

dogmom1208 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “If I could give this medication 0 stars, I would, My gyno prescribed me this for bacterial vaginosis. My side effects were horrible.... increased anxiety/panic attacks, nausea, horrible taste in my mouth and I had the most vivid nightmares. I would wake up trembling/shaking out of my sleep and it took me a few days to realize that it was the flagyl that was making me feel this way. I will never take this medication again unless I absolutely have no choice. I’m glad I’m not the only one that had a terrible experience on this drug.”

Lala · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

For Trichomoniasis: “Was prescribed Flagyl for trich. I was skeptical and scared after reading the reviews because everyone made this medication seem terrible. This is my second time taking it and have not have one symptom either time. The first time I was prescribed a one day dose of the four 500 mg pills. This time the 7 day dose. I’m on day 3 and feel better. The smell has gone away and so has the itch. I feel like a new woman. I would suggest taking this antibiotic on a full stomach or drink it with a glass of milk. I promise, it’s no where as bad as everyone makes it seem. My anxiety was through the roof after reading these reviews, but I womaned up and took it. Yes the taste is absolutely terrible so please don’t roll it around on your tongue. I hope this helps ease someone else’s anxiety.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I have never felt so ill before with these tablets, Heartburn sickness can not. eat, backache, and feeling like I am going to fall over, I thought I was going to die, I have today asked my doctor to change my tabs. I feel sorry for anyone who takes these tablets.”

1234 March 28, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “Please DO NOT take Flagyl. This is a lethal drug that will mess your body up for months. I was given this for diverticulitis. I was asked to take Flagyl for 7 days. By day 2 I was already in pain with side effects with bad muscle cramps especially my legs. I kept going not realizing the damage it was doing. On day 6 I gave up. The side effects were unbearable. I was taking regular pro-biotics during this period and after. Flagyl wiped my gut clean to the extreme that I kept getting urine Infections / Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) for weeks after. The constant urine infections / Cystitis continued for the next 5 months. Eventually when I saw my naturopath, he gave me a special blend of flora (pro-biotics) to help restore my gut back to normal. I don't know why doctors are allowed to prescribe this drug as it should be banned.Please avoid taking this drug.”

Mel June 9, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I've been in agony with a toothache for two days, I couldn't sleep, nothing. Last night I took 500mg of Flagyl a few hours before I went to bed, slept all night and this morning my mouth isn't even sore. I’ll continue to take it for a week to make sure it kills the bacteria, but so far I like it better than any other antibiotic I've taken for an infected tooth! ”

Anonymous July 8, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “I felt it was important for anyone prescribed Flagyl and looking at possible side effects. I delayed treatment due to reading comments and becoming horrified at the stories of other people's experiences. For me NOTHING HAPPENED!! I am the most sensitive person when it comes to medications. I had no side effects on this medication except for a slight headache on Day 1. That could also been attributed to me coming off of sugar and caffeine also. NO SIDE EFFECTS. All I did was put coconut oil around the pill, threw it to the back of my throat, and washed it down with juice. Problem solved reagarding awful pill taste. I did not touch alcohol. I cut out caffeine and sugar as to not add to any potential anxiety. There could be many reasons others have side effects including other prescription drug interactions. Please don't get thrown off by other peoples horror stories like I did. Just follow directions, eat properly, stay away from the alcohol, and get better.”

Mary August 27, 2019

For Diverticulitis: “First diverticulitis (DVT) attack, was in such pain & had been in a very stressful situation. I had CT and diagnosed with DVT and prescribed flagyl & cipro. Became very ill, nauseated, headache, confused, lost my way back to husband's hospital room. Very frightening & debilitating. Called former GI dr & he took me off 1 of the drugs & I slogged it out & finally got well again but at what cost? I'm 1 that get frequent flare ups. Now take 250 mg amoxicillin 3X day for 10 days which is very inexpensive & have no side effects. Nothing to compare to the horrible , torturous side effects of those other 2 drugs. I sought advice from 3 GI drs, and consulted 3 colorectal surgeons. It is hard to imagine that they still do not really know what causes these DVT flare ups. It's all best guess & try this or try that. With so many people suffering from DVT I can't find a major study being conducted to ID any specific bacteria that seems to get out of hand causing these repeated infections.”

Nelly · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I have been ill since the start of June this year. Finally received diagnosis of BV last Thursday. Very concerned about taking this antibiotic after reading about so many bad experiences. Well I am happy to report that after taking 4 tablets to date, the only side effects I have experienced are a bit of dizziness after taking the tablet and slight stomach cramps, which resolve after about an hour. Hope this feedback offers some reassurance to someone. Oops, almost forget - I actually feel that I'm starting to get my life back - feel so much better.”

Anonymous September 14, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Awful tablets, I was given 7 day Course, couldn’t eat, the taste was horrendous, drinking water made it worse, confusion, feeling sick and genuinely unwell, would never take again for stomach bacteria ”

Jb · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “Was prescribed flagyl for possible diverticulitis, took it for two days and could not take it anymore. It caused me to have severe diarrhea, fever, severe flu like symptoms, made me very weak, had to stop taking it. Will never take it again.”

Mia · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I would not recommend taking Flagyl at all. I was given a one time high dosage of 5 pills at once and have experienced terrible anxiety, shortness of breath, insomnia and diarrhea. I was up all night worried sick about how I am feeling and just wishing I never took them at all. I don’t know why this drug is still on the market. Hoping my side effects disappear within 24 hours. It has definitely taken the infection away but in my opinion not worth the paranoia”

SIGLEINDA · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2019

For Diverticulitis: “I have had Diverticulosis for years. The first attack was awful. Went to ER. So very very sick. Did the Flagyl/Cipro routine. felt worse. Over the years I have discovered many things. First of all you DO NOT WANT TO TAKE CIPRO. Google up Cipro. It is poison and even have groups of people with horror stories about Cipro. FLAGYL: All you have to do is ask your doctor to write brand medically necessary and the pills come coated with a smooth blue coating that slides down easily and do not dissolve in your mouth so no bad taste when taking taking Flagyl. If you have diverticulosis and get flares of diverticulitis do not wait. IMMEDIATELY start on flagyl A lot of the symptoms you all describe are not from the pills they are from the disease. No Cipro and start Flagyl immediately. I keep a supply always in the house.”

Anonymous December 15, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “I went to my GYN for my annual pap and tested positive - asymptomatic BV, so prescribed flagyl. NO ALCOHOL during the course of treatment and up to 3 days after treatment. Take it SERIOUSLY. There should be some kind of warning against drinking anything with alcohol 48 hours PRIOR to taking it. Obviously, you don't want anything with alcohol in it 48 priors to taking it, either. Makes sense, doesn't it? Without ruining the effectiveness, I took a probiotic 1-1/2 - 2 hrs. after taking my 1st dose. I ate a filling meal when I took it (bread, rice, bananas, cheez-its, crackers, 1-2 Probiotic Activia yogurts a day). No nausea, no diarrhea, no stomach cramps, no headaches; NOTHING. I researched the warning about Propylene Glycol & the side effects. I could not find 1 thing to have this chemical in it that I ate. This IS the 1st time I have taken Flagyl and my dose was 500 mg, 2 X a day for 7 days. I hope this review helps someone. I had 100% NO SIDE EFFECTS.”

FloidaGal · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “I have had a recent flare-up of diverticulitis, and was given Metronidazole (Flagyl) and Cipro for 10 days. I immediately started have severe gastritis (severe pain and burning) in my stomach. I suspected it was the metronidazole and every day the situation became worse! I developed painful urination and bladder symptoms, sores in my mouth, and severe stomach burning/heartburn. I read online that these were serious side effects of metronidazole. I had to stop the metronidazole after 5 days, even though my doctor insisted that I take it. Bladder symptoms resolved in 24 hours after stopping the drug. It has been 5 weeks and my stomach is still on fire. I can’t eat properly as everything causes me stomach pain. I am now scheduled for an endoscopy to see what is wrong with my stomach and esophagus. I will NEVER take metronidazole again!”

Nethyn · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Nah-ah. Never again. Worst medication I have ever taken. On my second day of taking this tablet, I was feeling nauseous. My appetite was bad and my stomach felt sick. Headaches, fatigue, easily irritated. I dreaded taking it when the time came. It made me absolutely miserable. My resting heart rate went up to 105 bpm. Even raising my voice ever so slightly made my heart pound harder. It was very stressful. Steer clear. I felt stupid taking this medicine for side effects that were much worse than the reason I needed them for.”

Chelle · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “If I could rate this medication a 0, I would. This medication has altered my life and I have experienced a toxic reaction to it. I have experienced neuropathy all over my body, numbness, became bed ridden due to weakness, and have had seizure and stroke like symptoms. Please tell your loved ones to avoid this medication if possible.”

DreadfulVerity · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

For Diverticulitis: “I was prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis. oh my goodness. The drug radically wasted my muscles and made me feel dreadful, like I was slipping away. Got to where just looking at the pill made me vomit immediately. Doc switched me to Augmentin, which worked well, no problem. Why is Flagyl even legal?”

aloha · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Went in for my Pap smear and found out I had BV. I was prescribed Flagyl (1 tablet 2x a day). First day I only took one pill during my lunch break but forgot to take the second that night. Next day I took two pills as prescribed (morning and night). The following morning I noticed dark urine... allegedly that’s a ‘rare’ side effect. I’ve also experienced dry mouth, the metallic after taste, headaches, and loss of appetite. Other than that, I do see an improvement already. I’m glad these pills work quick, just hoping I won’t have to take it every again after the 7th day ”

Jame · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2018

For Diverticulitis: “I am a Flagyl survivor. Today I finish my 48 hours of it getting out of my system following 7 harrowing days of physical assault. Day 3 brought debilitating stomach pain, incapacitating nausea, dizziness/brain fog. The hospital had to confirm for me that the diverticulitis was not worse it was the medication’s side effects. What??? Is this 2018? I am a healthcare provider and this has given me insight into people’s distrust of the medical profession. The medicine first patented in 1963...now in generic form...and never an attempt to refine the med to reduce side effects? Or produce alternatives? I have an intense full time job, got lucky I was sick over the long weekend (????) and just made it through day 6 and 7 at work with the use of partially effective Zofran (anti-nausea). Find any alternative drug or treatment. I just lost 10 days of my life first to illness then to the treatment. I believe quality of life matters. Good luck diverticulitis suffers! I’m with you in spirit.”

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

For Diverticulitis: “This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?”

Calamity Jane September 20, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Flagyl was a miracle drug for my SIBO/IBS. The first time I used it 20 years ago I was unexplainably sick/nauseated and losing weight for months and after a colonoscopy and gall bladder scan the docs didn’t know what what wrong and one happened to put me on Flagyl and the next day I was better! I had no problem with this drug at all. I have just recently had the same flare up for the past 6 weeks and my doc put me on Flagyl and OMG- within 4 hours I was feeling better. I am 7 days in to a 10 day run and I haven’t felt this good in years. I am 66, have motility issues and this drug worked wonders for SIBO/IBS.”

Numpty November 19, 2019

For Diverticulitis: “Taking the anitbiotic combo metronidazole and Cipro for a flare up of diverticulitis and now on day 4. My side effects are that I feel so dreadful, very weak, no appetite at all, dizzy, nauseated, night sweats, vaginal discharge, diarrhea, have lost 7 lbs already. Forcing small bits of food down as have to eat something, drinking lots of water, feel nauseated+++. I am in UK. This medicine is utterly brutal and toxic, but my pain is nearly gone. Longing for day 7 to end drama.”

EC · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Flagyl antibiotic sent me to the psych hospital! Within 24 hours of taking flagyl, I was having side effects of being super drowsy, couldn't eat, having panic attacks, hallucinations, and so depressed I couldn't even get out of bed. I was also really confused and just out of it. I went to the psych hospital where they made me finish the course and it took WEEKS before I felt okay mentally. In its defence it got rid of the BV. Flagyl is one of the most powerful and potent antibiotics out there and I would only recommend it if you really need it.”

Yetagainforme December 9, 2016

For Diverticulitis: “I deal with diverticulitis every 9 to 12 months. CT over the past 15 years keep showing mild diverticulitis as they call it but when it hits it feels nothing like mild! Nasty lower left abdominal pain . Sometimes I get a fever. Now my dr. Just put me on antibiotics as soon as I get symptoms because I always go into the fever eventually . Yes going on this for 7 to 10 days can give you diarrhea. I found quite a while ago since probiotic yogurt came out as long as I eat lots of that I rarely get diarrhea now. And since you should be on liquid and very soft food diet anyway just switch yourself and eat nothing but probiotic yogurt and soups while you're taking this stuff. always take it with a meal too. And no alcohol!”