User Reviews for Flagyl

1 review 65 medications
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

Summary of Flagyl reviews 7.1 198 reviews

Reviews for Flagyl

For Bacterial Infection "I just spent 2-1/2 days in hospital for cellulitis and lymphadenopathy and lymphadenitis in my leg. Lower leg cellulitis..upper leg from knee to inguinal lymph node lymphadenopathy/lymphadenitis. Spent first 2 days on IV vancomycin and Zosyn round the clock. Switched to IV Flagyl and Keflex for 1/2 day until discharge. Prescribed oral Flagyl 500 mg 3 times/day for 8 days and Keflex 500 4 times/day for 8 days. Took first dose. So far so good!!!"

Moho1957 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed Flagyl 500 mg for bacterial vaginitis for 7 days. Horrible taste and you have to swallow it quickly, but pill isn't too big so no problem with that. No side effects and smell from BV had cleared up after just three pills (taken twice daily)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For Diverticulitis "I took this for a diverticulitis abscess for ten days. I do not handle antibiotics well. I found with this one you definitely need to eat something with it. If I didn't my stomach would hurt. Mild diarrhea, tolerable. Some nausea. Otherwise no problems."

KC (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

For Diverticulitis "This stuff works if you can get through it. Have taken it along with Cipro many times for bouts of diverticulitis and once when hospitalized with C Diff. Now that I'm in my 70s is really hard to deal with the side effects. Calling doctor now to see if there's anything else I can take besides this. This was a milder case of the sickness. So harsh on the body."

Genie (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "After reading all these horrible reviews I was terrified to take this medicine . I literally was feeling anxious at the thought of it .... However , most people don’t leave reviews and if they do , they are more likely bad ones . First , you really should take zofran or another anti nausea med 20 mins before you take a pill of Flagyl . I took Zofran , ate something , waited 20 mins and took the flagyl . First dose I didn’t feel too bad ...tingling in my hands and arms and mild nausea. I’m on the 4 day of 7 and it’s really ok . You may feel some minor side effects but don’t let the reviews scare you !! And I’m 103 pound female who usually has to take a lot of antibiotics...you’ll be ok . If you are prone to get nervous or panic at every little different feeling you have , take a low dose of Valium with it . It’s safe and I did it the first few times . Yes the taste of pill isn’t best either , but it’s a minor annoyance"

Ranbyyouagain (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed 1 every 12 hours for 7 days. Absolutely no side effects besides a change in the color of my urine. I’ve taken some doses with food and some without and was completely find. Everyone’s body reacts differently. It tastes terrible but, once you’ve had to take a giant iron pill that literally dissolves at the slightest touch of liquid, the taste isn’t as bad. Symptoms subsided by the 2nd day for me. I’m on day 5 and I feel so much better. I accidentally missed a dose last night but took it as soon as I realized. My sister is a nurse so she’s helping me through this. My doctor also prescribed me a pill for yeast infection right after these 7 days are over so that nothing else can grow down there! Hang in there ladies! IMPORTANT: Whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL! Please do not ignore the label!"

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I had BV and was prescribed this medicine. I took 2 pills daily for 7 days. The first couple of days were fine. Within the first two days the odor and discharge went away but my doctor told that even if it goes away, you have to take all the pills. The last 3 days were annoying for me. I had the metal taste in my mouth which was disgusting and I experienced some nausea. It's wasn't all that bad but I was ready to be done with the pills. I recommend taking the pills with tons of food and water. Also please don't drink alcohol or take drugs while using this."

Yasmin (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "This drug works period. Was diagnosed with mild BV back in Nov during a routine exam. Your vagina is a naturally, well operating machine, and bad and good bacteria is necessary for it to do it's job. Had I known that, I wouldn't even bothered taking this in the first place, but I did, got a yeast infection after that {which is bound to happen}, took my meds for that, and now I'm back to feeling just fine. I'm saying all of this because I feel like as women we are bombarded with vaginal health products telling us to eat this, take that... the bottom line is, fluctuating ph levels, discharge, all of that is perfectly normal. I've had many doctors tell me, if you happen to get in infection, just let your medicine do it's job. Don't douche, overdo it on foods, and even probiotics. Which, in most cases aren't even helpful to begin with. Water is, and will always be your best friend. Load up on it if you are on this medication. Eat well, but no need to overdo it."

Diana March 14, 2018

For Peritonitis "I am one of these people who has bad gums (no matter how much time I spend on my dental care). Over the last ten years I have had four tooth infections so severe I was almost hospitalised with one of them. I have a high tolerance for pain and I can honestly tell you that giving birth was nothing compared to my tooth infections (and I have had three children). My dentist prescribed Flagyl which has been the only medication that works for these severe tooth infections. I always keep some in my medicine cabinet for an emergency. I think we need to be open-minded about side effects as our bodies are different and what works for one will not work for another. I have never suffered any of the side effects that can come with taking this medication."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

For Diverticulitis "Strong stomach ache"

Jose1969 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2018

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease "So I started this medication 2 1/5 days ago, and let me tell ya... first day was ok, also I'm taking it with Bentyl for IBS and stomach spasms. Now day 2 was weird for me I had this feeling like I had been drinking all night or doing drugs. I couldn't get warm I felt super high, slurred speech, kept repeating to my boyfriend that "this medicine makes me feel like I'm dying." I had to take a Xanax just to fall asleep. Day 3 and I've taken my first pill of the day.. I can eat regularly my vision is clearer... idk I still have 4 days left so we'll see."

TropixBartender January 3, 2018

For Diverticulitis "WOW, cipro and flagyl drain your entire body. I have fought with diverticulitis off and on since age 37 and I am now age 45. I have gone 2 years since my last bout with diverticulitis. At first I hated the drugs and quit after 2-3 days - only for the pain to come back within a month. So I quickly learned to stay the course of the drugs, then I learned to monitor my diet better because my eating habits was the culprit. When I was 43, I had a flare up from diverticulitis, since I was used to the symptoms I drank a lot of water and tried to get by the pain, not a good idea man that diverticulitis spread through my urine tract, then to my liver...all because I didn’t want to take the medication...probably the worse episode"

Seandini December 18, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "This drug almost killed me. I took 400mg twice a day x 5 days. First day was ok. The second day I experienced stomachache, agitation, insomnia, nausea, hallucination, nightmares. The third day rushed to hospital with blurred vision which lasted for over 11 hours. Never again."

Albertino76 December 11, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "Went to the dr...realized I had bv...asked dr for creme flagyl but I was prescribed the pills instead. I eat ice usually everyday and drink only water... since the pills, I have had this metal taste and water especially doesn't taste right.. tastes like lead or something....food everything... how long does it take for this taste go away"

Brit8810 December 7, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in July of this year. Had my first round of antibiotics in August (21 days) I'm now on my 2nd round of antibiotics this time I’m on 500mg of Flagyl and 875mg of Augmentin. I’m about 2 weeks in or 14 days in and I feel horrible. Back pain, pain in both my feet and hands. Dizziness, very fatigued. All I want to do is sleep. I had changes in my urine and stools. Went to ER cause I thought I was literally going to die. I suffer from anxiety so this a medication just makes it worse. I have racing heart rate and all my labs and CT of my organs came back normal thank god. Funny how meds can fix one thing but cause all sorts of other things."

Eveette December 2, 2017

For Dental Abscess "I was prescribed Flagyl three a day for 10 days due to a tonsil abscess. I’m on the 7th day and I will not be continuing. This medication feels like torture. I throw up or dry heave every time I take a pill. Nothing tastes normal, which makes me not want to eat nor drink. I am beyond weak and have lost so much weight in so little time. My doctors told me this was normal, when in fact it feels rather unhealthy. I would honestly rather have my initial infection then to experience the side effects of this medication ever again. It’s that bad."

peritonsilar abscess (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

For Dental Abscess "For a few years I have had this horrid smell coming from under my crown. I have had dental care from my dentist but the smell would persist. My dentist said he didn't notice an abscess but I told him that fluid was leaking from under the crown as well. I tried amoxicillin for 14 days (two seperate runs) and it calmed the smell down some but once I stopped the med, the smell came back full force. I am about to finish flagyl and I don't notice the smell at all. This is great, taste like crap but it works."

Chronic tooth funk November 15, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "DON'T VAPE!! I was prescribed this drug for BV after getting an abnormal pap and Colposcopy done. All doctors and pharmacists are quick to tell you that you should not drink with it. That is very true, after taking this drug for 5 days and feeling awful from it, I decided to go ahead and drink a few beers. So nauseous! HEED THE DOCTORS WARNING ON THIS!!!! Finally threw up and took a nap and felt much better. I DID NOT know that the PG (in my vape juice) is why I felt so bad for the whole first 5 days. It actually was a Vape site that made it clear to me. I understand that all info can be found in a leaflet that you get when you pick up the med, I just didn't put it together about PG and it being in almost all my e-juice."

tricky(not trichi)nikki (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

For Diverticulitis "I'm on Flagl and cephalexin for diverticulitis. Today is day 4 and I feel lethargic. I sas in ER 2 days in a row for pain. Today feeling nauseous and getting diarrhea. I do not know if I can make it for ten days. (I am allergic to ciprofloxacin, penicillin,sulfa.) Soon as this is over going to immunologist to test if after 35 yrs. I can now tolerate some of the antibiotics I am allergic to because I have lung, urinary and now this is second bout of diverticulitis."

wjane47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I took a week's worth of pills of this for a second BV flareup (tried Tindamax the first time and the BV came back) and I am confident enough now to write a positive review. All side effects (discharge, foul odor, stabbing pain) subsided by either the third or fourth day. So far so yeast infection, but I am being very proactive and taking probiotics daily and eating lots of yogurt. Side effects were very minimal and manageable, just a bit of fatigue and dizziness and light sensitivity. Nothing horrible. PRO TIP: Wrap the pills in bread before you swallow them. No metallic aftertaste at all if you do this!"

kelseyyy8567 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

For Diverticulitis "I have had to take this medicine numerous times, the ABSOLUTE best way to take it and not taste it is fill your mouth with Keifer and drop the pill in your mouth and then swallow. You will not taste the metallic taste!"

Anonymous September 2, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "I'm using it for a five day period for a bacteria infection, twice a day. I think its working. It's my fourth day and it was the only day I felt slight irritation. I'm not sure if that means it has stopped working or what but I hope that after my last day that I finally get a full ease. My only side effect is headache and dizziness as well as nausea which isn't so bad. As for the taste, I don't keep it on my tongue long enough to get a good taste so I can't testify for that."

Tried It August 28, 2017

For Bacterial Infection "Literally I feel like the this is the worst medication I've ever been on. Surgeon put me on this for an oral abscess.... been dying for like 5 days and two more to go. Can't sleep but I'm so tired eat, look at light, worst headache ever. Stomach hurts but this headache makes me forget about that. All in all, I feel horrible."

Hannahh13 August 7, 2017

For Diverticulitis "I have had three episodes of Diverticulitus in the last five years. Because I had pretty rough experiences with Flagyl / Cipro combination in my previous episodes, I asked for the pharmacist to advise me, with my prior history in mind. I really wanted this time to be different. He said the most important advice is DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, which sounds like common sense; but that includes mouthwash. (you might swallow a bit) It's a slow recovery; absolutely. I live in So Cal and this was during a heat wave, but I slept day and night the first few days with a heating pad on my lower adbomen. The pharmacy confirmed Tylenol is okay pain, also. It's not a walk in the park, but I did better this time, even with other minor side effects."

Dory17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

For Dental Abscess "Was reluctant to take this has read reviews and was going on holiday. But weighed up either bad toothache or risk side effects. No effects what so ever. Shifted my toothache. But didn't risk alcohol at all. Was bit itchy but nothing bad. Would take again if had too."

Oldwomaninashoe July 14, 2017