User Reviews for Flagyl

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Flagyl.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Intraabdominal Infection

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

Summary of Flagyl reviews 7.1 190 reviews

Reviews for Flagyl

For Bacterial Infection "This drug almost killed me. I took 400mg twice a day x 5 days. First day was ok. The second day I experienced stomachache, agitation, insomnia, nausea, hallucination, nightmares. The third day rushed to hospital with blurred vision which lasted for over 11 hours. Never again."

Albertino76 December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Went to the dr...realized I had bv...asked dr for creme flagyl but I was prescribed the pills instead. I eat ice usually everyday and drink only water... since the pills, I have had this metal taste and water especially doesn't taste right.. tastes like lead or something....food everything... how long does it take for this taste go away"

Brit8810 December 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in July of this year. Had my first round of antibiotics in August (21 days) I'm now on my 2nd round of antibiotics this time I’m on 500mg of Flagyl and 875mg of Augmentin. I’m about 2 weeks in or 14 days in and I feel horrible. Back pain, pain in both my feet and hands. Dizziness, very fatigued. All I want to do is sleep. I had changes in my urine and stools. Went to ER cause I thought I was literally going to die. I suffer from anxiety so this a medication just makes it worse. I have racing heart rate and all my labs and CT of my organs came back normal thank god. Funny how meds can fix one thing but cause all sorts of other things."

Eveette December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess "I was prescribed Flagyl three a day for 10 days due to a tonsil abscess. I’m on the 7th day and I will not be continuing. This medication feels like torture. I throw up or dry heave every time I take a pill. Nothing tastes normal, which makes me not want to eat nor drink. I am beyond weak and have lost so much weight in so little time. My doctors told me this was normal, when in fact it feels rather unhealthy. I would honestly rather have my initial infection then to experience the side effects of this medication ever again. It’s that bad."

peritonsilar abscess (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess "For a few years I have had this horrid smell coming from under my crown. I have had dental care from my dentist but the smell would persist. My dentist said he didn't notice an abscess but I told him that fluid was leaking from under the crown as well. I tried amoxicillin for 14 days (two seperate runs) and it calmed the smell down some but once I stopped the med, the smell came back full force. I am about to finish flagyl and I don't notice the smell at all. This is great, taste like crap but it works."

Chronic tooth funk November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "DON'T VAPE!! I was prescribed this drug for BV after getting an abnormal pap and Colposcopy done. All doctors and pharmacists are quick to tell you that you should not drink with it. That is very true, after taking this drug for 5 days and feeling awful from it, I decided to go ahead and drink a few beers. So nauseous! HEED THE DOCTORS WARNING ON THIS!!!! Finally threw up and took a nap and felt much better. I DID NOT know that the PG (in my vape juice) is why I felt so bad for the whole first 5 days. It actually was a Vape site that made it clear to me. I understand that all info can be found in a leaflet that you get when you pick up the med, I just didn't put it together about PG and it being in almost all my e-juice."

tricky(not trichi)nikki (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis "I'm on Flagl and cephalexin for diverticulitis. Today is day 4 and I feel lethargic. I sas in ER 2 days in a row for pain. Today feeling nauseous and getting diarrhea. I do not know if I can make it for ten days. (I am allergic to ciprofloxacin, penicillin,sulfa.) Soon as this is over going to immunologist to test if after 35 yrs. I can now tolerate some of the antibiotics I am allergic to because I have lung, urinary and now this is second bout of diverticulitis."

wjane47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I took a week's worth of pills of this for a second BV flareup (tried Tindamax the first time and the BV came back) and I am confident enough now to write a positive review. All side effects (discharge, foul odor, stabbing pain) subsided by either the third or fourth day. So far so yeast infection, but I am being very proactive and taking probiotics daily and eating lots of yogurt. Side effects were very minimal and manageable, just a bit of fatigue and dizziness and light sensitivity. Nothing horrible. PRO TIP: Wrap the pills in bread before you swallow them. No metallic aftertaste at all if you do this!"

kelseyyy8567 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis "I have had to take this medicine numerous times, the ABSOLUTE best way to take it and not taste it is fill your mouth with Keifer and drop the pill in your mouth and then swallow. You will not taste the metallic taste!"

Anonymous September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I'm using it for a five day period for a bacteria infection, twice a day. I think its working. It's my fourth day and it was the only day I felt slight irritation. I'm not sure if that means it has stopped working or what but I hope that after my last day that I finally get a full ease. My only side effect is headache and dizziness as well as nausea which isn't so bad. As for the taste, I don't keep it on my tongue long enough to get a good taste so I can't testify for that."

Tried It August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Literally I feel like the this is the worst medication I've ever been on. Surgeon put me on this for an oral abscess.... been dying for like 5 days and two more to go. Can't sleep but I'm so tired eat, look at light, worst headache ever. Stomach hurts but this headache makes me forget about that. All in all, I feel horrible."

Hannahh13 August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis "I have had three episodes of Diverticulitus in the last five years. Because I had pretty rough experiences with Flagyl / Cipro combination in my previous episodes, I asked for the pharmacist to advise me, with my prior history in mind. I really wanted this time to be different. He said the most important advice is DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, which sounds like common sense; but that includes mouthwash. (you might swallow a bit) It's a slow recovery; absolutely. I live in So Cal and this was during a heat wave, but I slept day and night the first few days with a heating pad on my lower adbomen. The pharmacy confirmed Tylenol is okay pain, also. It's not a walk in the park, but I did better this time, even with other minor side effects."

Dory17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess "Was reluctant to take this has read reviews and was going on holiday. But weighed up either bad toothache or risk side effects. No effects what so ever. Shifted my toothache. But didn't risk alcohol at all. Was bit itchy but nothing bad. Would take again if had too."

Oldwomaninashoe July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis "I had side effects from these drugs but found when I did not take them at the same time it wasn't as bad. In States where it's legal, THC help with the diverticulitis as well as the side effects of flagyl and cipro."

Jacche July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diverticulitis "Leaves the worst metalic taste in your mouth, my heart has been racing 100+ off and on since I have been on this. Started 7 days ago and still have 3 to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed flagyl for BV but was never entirely sure I even had it as no tests were conducted. Took the pills and am so happy tomorrow is my last day! Literally the worst side effects ever, day one wasn't so bad just had metallic taste in mouth but every other day I've experienced headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue to where I'm sleeping all day. The medication is so much worse than the slight issues I even had."

Cd4 June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess "Caught a bacterial infection from daughter visiting from Japan August 2016. Could not get well. Unknowingly had a dental abcess that made me even more ill. Did some research and found flagyl with Augmentin had helped others. Got dental problems addressed and took 21 days of flagyl 500 mg x 2 daily with Augmentin 875 mg x 2 daily. Got well. Had to have more invasive dental work and am currently taking 21 day course of flagyl 1000 mg x 2 daily with 875 mg Augmentin x2 daily to head off infection recurring. If you have been ill and given up hope, try this combo. Yep it's a lot of antibiotics but I was quite sick and it helped me. I was infection free at time of last dental work but taking this as a preventive course."

KateAnnD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "I am now on day 7 of a 14. I'm on Metronidazole, Omeprazole & clarithromycin. I have had H-pylori 3 times with in a year. The treatment for me has been awful. The dosage was tripled and it has given me nausea, bloating, foggy memory, a white film on my tongue & fatigue. The metallic taste last all day. The thing that you need to be aware of is if you continue to get H-pylori like I have, it can be a precursor to stomach cancer. After this round of treatment I have taken the steps to see a gastroenterologist, to insist that he does an endoscopy, to ensure me that there isn't anything for me to be concerned with at this time. It's a very scary feeling to have gotten this infection at least 3 times within a year."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Pathetic medicine I was prescribed flagyl 400mg 3 times a day for 3 days. After day one I felt the side effects immediately. Tiredness, fatigue, headaches and increased sensitivity being the major ones. Worst part is after completing my course I'm still feeling the side effects.Sensitivity to light has increased along with dizziness and fatigue!!!"

erix April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I was in hospital for extreme pain in my tummy, vomiting and diarrhea at same time which later turned into vomiting and pooping blood. Diagnosed with Colitis. She also said it was a BI. I stayed a day cause the pain was so bad and I couldn't keep anything down so I was giving morphine by IV till I could keep fluids down. Also on Flagyl 500 3x day and Cipro 500 2x day for 14 days. On my 4th day and this medicine has been a life saver!! I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days. I'm only eating a couple crackers and soup juice. Nothing taste right. some foods have a metal taste. Also, makes me ache like I have the flu. But nothing like the pain I was in before! I will take these few side effects before going through the pain I had before."

DeDe A. C (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "After suffering for 2 weeks, I went to my GYN and was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. She prescribed Flagyl. And even though it tastes awful, I have found it to be quite effective. I am on my last day and even though I still have some slight symptoms, I feel much better. I took my doses with milk to lessen the nausea and used an oatmeal wash and miconazole nitrate cream for the itching. Both have helped a lot in getting me through this awful infection. Even with the bad taste and the side effects, I would definitely use this medication again, although I hope never to have this infection again."

Grpch75 March 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed 500mg for twice a day in order to get rid of my BV. I only had a small headache the first night and slight nausea, but it wasn't bad at all. The rest of the days and nights were fine. BUT, this is what I did: ate a big brunch and a big dinner, and took the pill in between eating each meal. During the middle of the day I ate something with probiotics, like kimchi or cultured cashew cheese. At night before bed I would have I high quality probiotic pill with 50 billion cultures that support vaginal health. Other than that, lots of water, healthy food, and using condoms! Good luck!"

Happy! (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Clostridial Infection "I have ulcerative colitis, and I tested positive for c diff and was put on Flagyl - 500 mg 4x/day. The first 5 days I could function although I had no appetite and was dizzy and nauseated. The last 6 days I was bedridden with nausea and vomiting, aversion to food, dizziness, and the skin on my legs went numb. It's been a week now and the legs' skin is still numb, although it doesn't affect my mobility. I don't want to eat anything still but the food doesn't come back up now. However, all the symptoms of c diff are gone. Seems to have calmed down the UC as well. So yes, it worked very well so far but the side effects for me were horrendous."

Lorisar March 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichomoniasis "I read the directions wrong for flagyl, I took two 250mg a day instead of four a day . So now I would be taking the pills for about 10 -11 days if I start to take them 4 a day now like I was suppose to. But I am not sure if it is that safe to take them for that long if I continue to take them now at 4 a day But I do have a big event this weekend and alcohol is involved , and everyone will ask why I'm not drinking because I am the partier and drinker. Not sure what to do"

Bbbxoxoxoxo March 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Worst taste been on it 4 days and lost 6 pounds can't eat or drink anything tastes horrible. Even water"

Jclop January 31, 2017