User Reviews for Flagyl

5.5
Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 2 reviews 160 medications

Summary of Flagyl reviews 137 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Flagyl

For Diverticulitis "This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?"

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

For Diverticulitis "Was hospitalized with my first case of diverticulitis in March of this year and was given Flagyl 3x daily for 3-4 weeks. Vomited violently in the hospital within 10 minutes after taking it each time until they started giving me something to coat my stomach a little beforehand. The entire time I had to take it, I felt like my stomach was being eaten from the inside. My taste buds changed totally while I was on it and nothing tasted normal. I agree, Flagyl is the worst medicine ever! I will suffer the pain from diverticulitis before taking it again!"

abeehamie (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

For Trichomoniasis "Was diagnosed with Trich. Dr. prescribed four 500 mgs of Flagyl to take at once. Only complaint was metallic taste but it made me drink water more often and chew minty gum - I survived. Unfortunately, it did not work. 6 weeks and 2 days later the discharge, itching, symptoms returned. Note: I had not been with intimate with anyone, so it was not because of sexual contact, Flagyl just didn't work. Returned to dr., was re-tested and it was positive for Trich. Dr. prescribed Tinidazole the second time which I took yesterday; as soon as I reach or exceed 60-90 days with no symptoms, I will repost."

ADG1961 July 29, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "No side effects at first. On 7 day treatment 2 times a day. By day 5 I noticed I've had severe insomnia, extremely dry nose, headachey, general feeling of being unwell. But infection felt cured so that's good. Don't swallow toothpaste like another reviewer suggested, just try to put way back in your mouth to swallow it fastest. Take with food! It's not good for people to swallow toothpaste 2 times a day. Stomach upset on day 5 as well. More like bad indigestion and always hungry even though I ate. But with only three pills left i'm determined to finish treatment. If it doesn't work for you and you are trying to treat bv even pregnant ask of you can try the vaginal gel if you can't take the side effects of this med."

Sweetie214 July 26, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I had Mirena for 2 years and suffered from Continuous BV. I have been on Flagyl many many times. I had to have my marina taken out three months ago and I didn't have anymore a BV until this past week. I am taking a seven day does two times a day. This is the first time that it has caused a metallic taste in my mouth and horrible time trying to sleep. I can't seem to fall asleep and when I do I am restless and up every 10 to 15 minutes. On the plus side I know when I i'm done with this prescription I will be completely treated so it is worth it."

Jlw12345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "Hi my protocol was 12 day 500 mg 3x daily Flagyl for C Diff. Many bad side effects. I felt very unusual. Day 6 the pain and cramping subsided. I used medical marijuana before I'd eat the fat free dairy free no raw veggies high soluble fiber diet. I drank a gallon of water after last horrid Flagyl so nasty. Citrus fruits. Bland small snack meals. 24 hours after I had 2 glasses of chardonnay with small dinner. There is hope! I've finally after 3 weeks turned the corner feeling better. RESTRICT diet. You will save relapse. Drink Kefir yogurt milk. It contains live probiotics and supplement with unlive probiotic capsules. Best ones found on colon website are at Amazon $25 for 30 days. Higher concentration called Nexabiotic Advanced Probiotic ."

Lizax July 7, 2016

For Intraabdominal Infection "I read all of these reviews on the side effects of this medication. They scared me so bad because I have hurt for 2 weeks, and I didn't want to add more pain on top of that. But the only side effects I have had are tiredness, and a bit of a headache. Only a few days into my 2 week dose, but hoping it fixes whatever problem I have been having with my intestines! Don't be afraid to take it like I was."

Kathleen85 June 28, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "Working antibiotic, definitely strong on the side effects, feels like I have to urine as if I was pregnant, insomnia for sure, thank god I only need to take this pill for alittle time, stomachs upset all the time, not when eating but early in the morning, feels the need to vomit."

Lriel559 June 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "This wasn't right for me. Only was on it for 5 doses, so I don't know if it helped. I puked up the fifth dose, then got dizzy, and almost passed out on the ride to the ER. It settled down after a couple hrs, Had no alcohol for the past 10 days. This likely wouldn't happen to most people. But it's got gnarly side effects if it don't agree with you."

karl1 June 17, 2016

For Clostridial Infection "Absolutely awful side effects. First the dark urine color (not really a problem, but bizarre), then the fatigue, the nausea, the total loss of appetite. I was on this for 10 days for a c.diff infection (caused by clindamycin... AVOID CLINDAMYCIN) and I lost ten pounds. I had to force food down my throat just so I wouldn't wither away, and I could barely get out of bed. Took care of the worst of the c.diff, but not all of it. I still have a c.diff culture in my gut 6 months later."

smobo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

For Diverticulitis "Was given this for diverticulitis and after day 3 of taking woke up in a cold sweat, hair soaking wet and feeling faint. Slurred speach and overall feeling of dying! Went back to ER and they said it was side effect of this medication. They told me to continue no matter what, told them I'd rather die and threw the medication away. I'm still alive and doing well without this nasty medicine!"

Anonymous June 1, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Long time Crohn's after 5 small bowel resections I started getting bouts of intestinal bacteria that caused bloating, cramping and gas. This is the Only drug that helps. My GI now has me take it 2 times daily the first 5 days of each month which helps get the bacteria at bay. Hate the taste so take it with juice."

HeyJude18 May 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm shocked at how many people say the pill taste awful. I had the mega dosage (4 pills at once) and I just took a big sip of fruit punch, dropped the pill in the back of my throat and swallowed. Tasted nothing. You guys must be sucking them like peppermints. As far a symptoms, barely any. I did get a lil nausea here and there but no big deal. Pills seemed to work almost immediately."

SashaFierceMe April 27, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "so far I have had some stomach cramping but at least the doctor in the hospital told me what to expect I'm getting better"

phil pots (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I have taken this for Diverticulitis and BV. It works. Had bleeding and severe almost septic Diverticulitis, was in hospital for 5 days and this cured it. Gets rid of BV too, just make sure to take Rephresh Pro-B pill immediately after finishing course of flagl and continue for a few months if you want to keep vagina healthy. Side affects of flagyl are diarrhea and slight nausea but bearable, just take it in the middle of meal. If you have horrible affects from it you are having allergic reaction, not side affects. I know bc my mom is allergic to flagyl. If taking for diverticulitus, take high grade probiotic for 2 months after finishing course of antibiotics to replenish good bacteria in gut."

Delta20000 April 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I have now taken Flagyl twice, no side effects other than the awful taste. made me dread taking the pills every 12 hours. did not cure BV either time I used it, and I took it exactly every 12 hours."

enol March 19, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "This cleared up my BV well, however, I was experiencing some strange side effects. I'm having symptoms similar to a sinus infection-- pressure and pain in my temples, pain behind my eye, my eye was swollen as well as a runny nose. I've stopped taking the medication so I hope these symptoms pass. The same thing happens the last time I took this medication too."

Lexington283 March 14, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I was prescribed this medicine for my diverticulitis and every time I took this pill I was experiencing bad cramping, so I went to the emergency room and the doctor there told me to stop that medication because it causes constipation. So I'm just taking the other medicine and thus far no cramping just a bit of a headache but that's better than getting abdominal pains"

angelofmyeyes February 25, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "I had a Duodenal Switch (a major weight loss surgery combining the vertical sleeve with rearranging one's intestines to minimize fat absorption) 9 yrs ago. Since then I've had probs with gas and a stomach ulcer, both caused by H Pylori. I've taken Flagyl twice. I am now on Day 5 of this round, & I don't experience most of the side effects I see described. (250 mg 3X per day) While the pill doesn't "taste" great, there are other meds that also don't, and I find this no more severe than those. I don't have a lingering bad taste. I've had no diarrhea and have had more regular bowel movements. I've had almost no gas. My pain is gone. I don't feel sick. I am grateful for this drug!"

Gassy (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm only on day 3 of meds, dose is 2 x a day for the week. Must say I see an improvement already! I've had BV for months and no prescription helped. I've tried things for my flora, ph, baths, alkaline water, vitamin c, you name it. 3 days in, and I'm already happier. No odor, no discharge, finally !!! Relief from this awful embarrassment. Yes, the pill can taste bad, however I take a sip of milk BEFORE and after taking the dose. Hadn't the 1st time and it tastes awful yes, but the milk coats your throat nicely and haven't tasted it since doing that. As for side effects I definitely have a suppressed appetite but I'm not complaining. The benefits of taking the Flagyl much outweigh any negative I can see."

Thank goodness (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "To get rid of the bad taste I tried candy. Something sweet that dissolves slowly. That worked for me."

Nooki (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

For Diverticulitis "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "Was prescribed this by my OB for a mild case of bv. Took one pill on a full stomach. It tasted awful and I immediately threw up everything I had eaten. Then I read the paperwork from the pharmacy and it said to ask your Dr if you're less than 12 weeks pregnant... I just hit 8 weeks today. Should I trust the Dr or just say no to flagyl?"

topregotofunction January 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My doctor prescribed to me Flagyl because of diarrhea for 5 days and now that I'm on day 1 off this medication I feel extremely tired and I am having short breaths. My middle upper back feels weird too. Is this normal?"

monkeykatie0328 January 11, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "My NP put me on a regime of Flagyl 500mg twice a day for 7 days for urinary symptoms I was having although my cultures were negative. I followed the regime for 5 days before finally stopping. My side effects were severe and had me ready to go to the ER. Stomach and pelvic cramping, continual discharge, complete loss of appetite, extreme nausea when attempting to force myself to eat solid food and general nausea when not eating. I felt extremely fatigued, emotional and anxious. I was on the verge of several full blown panic attacks at work. I'm not sure if my symptoms are taken care of by Flagyl because the side effects are so much worse. Day 2 off of the drug and having the most severe side effects yet."

CCB8703 December 31, 2015