User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Dental Abscess

"Was reluctant to take this has read reviews and was going on holiday. But weighed up either bad toothache or risk side effects. No effects what so ever. Shifted my toothache. But didn't risk alcohol at all. Was bit itchy but nothing bad. Would take again if had too."

Oldwomaninashoe July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Caught a bacterial infection from daughter visiting from Japan August 2016. Could not get well. Unknowingly had a dental abcess that made me even more ill. Did some research and found flagyl with Augmentin had helped others. Got dental problems addressed and took 21 days of flagyl 500 mg x 2 daily with Augmentin 875 mg x 2 daily. Got well. Had to have more invasive dental work and am currently taking 21 day course of flagyl 1000 mg x 2 daily with 875 mg Augmentin x2 daily to head off infection recurring. If you have been ill and given up hope, try this combo. Yep it's a lot of antibiotics but I was quite sick and it helped me. I was infection free at time of last dental work but taking this as a preventive course."

KateAnnD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication could have saved my life! I had a root canal gone awry. The emergency dentist prescribed Clindamycin and Flagyl stat. Could not take the Flagyl as I had swallowed listerine (has alcohol in it). The next morning an Endodentist redid the root canal, and he said to take the Clindamycin only. Two days--and a LOT more pain and swelling later--I found myself at night with enormous swelling spreading to my upper mouth with more throbbing pain, With nothing to lose, I took one dose (500mg) of Flagyl. Within 2 hours I felt no pain--it was like someone took water out of a balloon. Thank goodness, I believe I had an odd bacterial infection. I'll take both antibiotics for the duration. No alcohol on Flagyl--bad side effects!"

lch1000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the first time I received Metronidazole for a tooth infection, usually they prescribe Keflex (cephalexin) or Amoxacillin. I would say that the Metronidazole worked quicker at easing the pain and It wasn't a capsule so I had an easier time swallowing it however, I have been suffering serious nausea followed by diarhea since I began taking it. Then last night without thinking about the interaction had a few drinks and spent the night vomiting and very ill with nausea, dry heaves etc. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH THIS MEDICINE and always read your labels and accompanying info, I usually do but I've never had any kind of reaction to an antibiotic so I got lazy I suppose, because it was clearly stated on the bottle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is very useful for treating dental abscess but a combination will work better, along with amoxicillin. Flagyl alone might not be good enough."

dr d July 13, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is a good antibiotic for anaerobic bacteria. I prescribe it for my patients in conjunction with another antibiotic for the aerobic bacteria (example Amoxil)."

refa3a October 12, 2009