User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 869 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

"No side effects at first. On 7 day treatment 2 times a day. By day 5 I noticed I've had severe insomnia, extremely dry nose, headachey, general feeling of being unwell. But infection felt cured so that's good. Don't swallow toothpaste like another reviewer suggested, just try to put way back in your mouth to swallow it fastest. Take with food! It's not good for people to swallow toothpaste 2 times a day. Stomach upset on day 5 as well. More like bad indigestion and always hungry even though I ate. But with only three pills left i'm determined to finish treatment. If it doesn't work for you and you are trying to treat bv even pregnant ask of you can try the vaginal gel if you can't take the side effects of this med."

Sweetie214 July 26, 2016

"I had Mirena for 2 years and suffered from Continuous BV. I have been on Flagyl many many times. I had to have my marina taken out three months ago and I didn't have anymore a BV until this past week. I am taking a seven day does two times a day. This is the first time that it has caused a metallic taste in my mouth and horrible time trying to sleep. I can't seem to fall asleep and when I do I am restless and up every 10 to 15 minutes. On the plus side I know when I i'm done with this prescription I will be completely treated so it is worth it."

Jlw12345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

"Hi my protocol was 12 day 500 mg 3x daily Flagyl for C Diff. Many bad side effects. I felt very unusual. Day 6 the pain and cramping subsided. I used medical marijuana before I'd eat the fat free dairy free no raw veggies high soluble fiber diet. I drank a gallon of water after last horrid Flagyl so nasty. Citrus fruits. Bland small snack meals. 24 hours after I had 2 glasses of chardonnay with small dinner. There is hope! I've finally after 3 weeks turned the corner feeling better. RESTRICT diet. You will save relapse. Drink Kefir yogurt milk. It contains live probiotics and supplement with unlive probiotic capsules. Best ones found on colon website are at Amazon $25 for 30 days. Higher concentration called Nexabiotic Advanced Probiotic ."

Lizax July 7, 2016

"Working antibiotic, definitely strong on the side effects, feels like I have to urine as if I was pregnant, insomnia for sure, thank god I only need to take this pill for alittle time, stomachs upset all the time, not when eating but early in the morning, feels the need to vomit."

Lriel559 June 22, 2016

"This wasn't right for me. Only was on it for 5 doses, so I don't know if it helped. I puked up the fifth dose, then got dizzy, and almost passed out on the ride to the ER. It settled down after a couple hrs, Had no alcohol for the past 10 days. This likely wouldn't happen to most people. But it's got gnarly side effects if it don't agree with you."

karl1 June 17, 2016

"I'm shocked at how many people say the pill taste awful. I had the mega dosage (4 pills at once) and I just took a big sip of fruit punch, dropped the pill in the back of my throat and swallowed. Tasted nothing. You guys must be sucking them like peppermints. As far a symptoms, barely any. I did get a lil nausea here and there but no big deal. Pills seemed to work almost immediately."

SashaFierceMe April 27, 2016

"so far I have had some stomach cramping but at least the doctor in the hospital told me what to expect I'm getting better"

phil pots (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"I have now taken Flagyl twice, no side effects other than the awful taste. made me dread taking the pills every 12 hours. did not cure BV either time I used it, and I took it exactly every 12 hours."

enol March 19, 2016

"This cleared up my BV well, however, I was experiencing some strange side effects. I'm having symptoms similar to a sinus infection-- pressure and pain in my temples, pain behind my eye, my eye was swollen as well as a runny nose. I've stopped taking the medication so I hope these symptoms pass. The same thing happens the last time I took this medication too."

Lexington283 March 14, 2016

"I'm only on day 3 of meds, dose is 2 x a day for the week. Must say I see an improvement already! I've had BV for months and no prescription helped. I've tried things for my flora, ph, baths, alkaline water, vitamin c, you name it. 3 days in, and I'm already happier. No odor, no discharge, finally !!! Relief from this awful embarrassment. Yes, the pill can taste bad, however I take a sip of milk BEFORE and after taking the dose. Hadn't the 1st time and it tastes awful yes, but the milk coats your throat nicely and haven't tasted it since doing that. As for side effects I definitely have a suppressed appetite but I'm not complaining. The benefits of taking the Flagyl much outweigh any negative I can see."

Thank goodness (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"To get rid of the bad taste I tried candy. Something sweet that dissolves slowly. That worked for me."

Nooki (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"Was prescribed this by my OB for a mild case of bv. Took one pill on a full stomach. It tasted awful and I immediately threw up everything I had eaten. Then I read the paperwork from the pharmacy and it said to ask your Dr if you're less than 12 weeks pregnant... I just hit 8 weeks today. Should I trust the Dr or just say no to flagyl?"

topregotofunction January 21, 2016

"My doctor prescribed to me Flagyl because of diarrhea for 5 days and now that I'm on day 1 off this medication I feel extremely tired and I am having short breaths. My middle upper back feels weird too. Is this normal?"

monkeykatie0328 January 11, 2016

"My NP put me on a regime of Flagyl 500mg twice a day for 7 days for urinary symptoms I was having although my cultures were negative. I followed the regime for 5 days before finally stopping. My side effects were severe and had me ready to go to the ER. Stomach and pelvic cramping, continual discharge, complete loss of appetite, extreme nausea when attempting to force myself to eat solid food and general nausea when not eating. I felt extremely fatigued, emotional and anxious. I was on the verge of several full blown panic attacks at work. I'm not sure if my symptoms are taken care of by Flagyl because the side effects are so much worse. Day 2 off of the drug and having the most severe side effects yet."

CCB8703 December 31, 2015

"I slather the entire pill w toothpaste right before I take it & it goes down like a gel pill."

msin4 December 30, 2015

"I only have 2 days left thank goodness. I'm taking 500mg twice a day. This medication is working very well but if I ever run into this problem again I will opt for a different medication only because I am constantly nauseous and have no appetite what so ever. It has been like my whole pregnancy in 5 days without actually being sick this time. I just have to keep reminding myself 2 more days then your done."

Sopi (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

"After metrogel not working, I took Flagyl, 7 day treatment. I put it far back in my mouth, filled my mouth with water and swallow. It worked, I only slightly tasted it, but that was enough to know how awful it was. I always ate something with it, no empty stomach, and I never took doses less than 8 or more than 12 hours apart. I even set alarms at 4 am to take a dose. I wanted this to work! Only side effect was a bad yeast infection. I ate greek yogurt while on this. The smell went away quick, but I still had discharge. I had to wait 3 weeks to see results because I had to treat my yeast infection right after (7days) and got my period after that. But after it all, I can finally say, it worked! No more bv! Let's hope it's for good!"

Former BV Sufferer December 14, 2015

"Everyone's body will react differently to meds, genetics. Just bc I had a bad experience, doesn't mean you will. Took w full stomach of bland food, 16 oz water, & took a daily probiotic. My experience w this med was horrible. I was unbearably anxious, rapid heartbeat, intense pelvic pressure, bad stomach cramping, nonstop nausea, vomiting, & explosive diarrhea. This was my 2nd time w this med,w the same bad reaction. I had to discontinue, both times. Took 3 days to start feeling better, 5-7 until normal. I'll never take this med again. I'm sure it's good for others, but nit me. I had cancer so I've taken a lot of meds. Never had to stop another med from side effects before, but I was scared to the point of going to the er. Never again."

Worst side effects I ever had. (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"After intercourse with my boyfriend (no condom), I developed a strange odour and unusual discharge. I knew it wasn't the same as my usual discharge. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with BV (I feel like I actually had trich but apparently it's hard to test for that so BV it was!) I took this medicine after trying to treat it with probiotic and vitamin c ovules to no avail. I did experience very mild nausea and softer stool as expected with antibiotics. By the end of the week wasn't sure it was 100% gone because After I finished the course of flagyl my period came and I was scared that the bv would come back as other ladies have experienced. Luckily, everything was still back to normal despite my period. So far I've been BV free for 3 weeks. It was clear that this infection was causes by sex and not by any internal imbalance so hopefully it will stay away. I learnt my lesson to always always wear condoms because this problem is gross to have. I also now take daily probitotics which is great support for our bodies. So glad its gone I pray that all you ladies will find a cure if this hasn't worked for you!"

Janebella5 October 17, 2015

"Is This Antibiotic responsible for the Huge Increase in Parkinsons Diseease?? There is a Condition that affects a Great Percentage of the Western World an Antibiotic Infection. In most cases this leads to Coeliac Food intolerances Through Disbiosis of the Large Intestine and the resultant Leaky Gut and Possibly Bowel Cancer in later life. However this version of Antibiotic can cause a problem with Trytophan production from the Large intestine and a resultant Dopamine Deficency - "

Frankinsense (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

"This is my second time on Flagyl. I am on a 10 day course of it 2x daily for a bacterial infection in my stomach. Other than some gas pains I have had no bad side effects. There is a lot of bad things on "Dr. Google" and I have to refrain from googling things as they tend to make some feel the symptoms... to me Flagyl has worked and I hope everyone finds a medicine that will help them..Flagyl or not"

Stace1 August 30, 2015

"HORRIBLE!!! I had numbness/tingling my skin felt like it was crawling I got really irritable and had a seizure! If you have ANY unusual but serious side effects call your doctor! I have heard of other cases of people having seizures on this medication."

suburbanwife August 29, 2015

"I went on a holiday to Thailand and developed a bloated stomach with wind and later diarrhea. The Dr prescribed Flagyl to kill and bugs in the intestine. We know that in these countries it is rather easy to get a bug from foods. After many trips I finally got a Bangkok Belly. After taking 400 mg 3 times a day I felt some relief the next day. Felt good. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. I had sneezing, runny nose, a feeling of tightness in the nose (harder to breathe), asthma, dry lips, rashes on the hands, body aches, lack of appetite, feeling lethargic and tired along with wind in the stomach along with slight nausea. Diarrhea almost gone. Most side effects are happening to me on the fourth day."

medicine_interest (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"Bread is the key. I've taken metronidazole 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. This is my 9th set of themm seeing that I'm prone to BV. Every time I get them I get nauseous, sick headaches, stomach pains, weak and the taste is the worst thing in life. It always hits my tongue or back of throat. I never finsu a bottle I always leave about 3-4 pills because I can never finish and the symptoms clear after about 3 days. Well after my last visit that is why it always comes back you have to take the whole dosage. But it was such a hard pill I never could. Well this time I learned to wrap them in BREAD. Problem solver!!! I wrap it around bread, and just swollow it . its like u never took a pill :) no taste and no headaches no nasuea and I even take it without food sometimes. No symptoms what so ever ! This is a big help in my life. Because ive dealt with this for a year and a half back to back because I have a very sensitive body! Now if I ever need to take them everything is perfectly fine :) I recommend doing that , because I believe the taste is what causes the symptoms.....at least for me . -Kyri"

Kyr.oshay (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug for BV, which like many other women, I did not even know I had until a doctor told me! I had absolutely no symptoms other than a slight odor. I was prescribed Flagyl for 7 days (two 500mg pills a day). I started noticing side effects immediately! I would have given anything to feel the drowsy feeling that most women on this website said the felt because for me it was the complete opposite! I could not sleep at all, I felt like my heart was racing and my skin was crawling, it also made me feel like I had Restless Leg Syndrome and extreme nausea. Luckily on the 4th night with no sleep my sister gave me some of her Ambein and I finally slept. Side effects aside, the drug works wonders, BV was indeed cleared up."

Momof3Girlz (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2015