User Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

Flagyl has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 183 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 45% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Flagyl Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

“I thought I had covid but I was experiencing the affects of taking this Flagyl Pure nightmare!!!!!!! Don’t take it. Warn everyone, friends, family, strangers. No one should experience this. I feel angry now with my gyno for doing this to me.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

“I have never felt so ill before with these tablets, Heartburn sickness can not. eat, backache, and feeling like I am going to fall over, I thought I was going to die, I have today asked my doctor to change my tabs. I feel sorry for anyone who takes these tablets.”

dogmom1208 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

“If I could give this medication 0 stars, I would, My gyno prescribed me this for bacterial vaginosis. My side effects were horrible.... increased anxiety/panic attacks, nausea, horrible taste in my mouth and I had the most vivid nightmares. I would wake up trembling/shaking out of my sleep and it took me a few days to realize that it was the flagyl that was making me feel this way. I will never take this medication again unless I absolutely have no choice. I’m glad I’m not the only one that had a terrible experience on this drug.”

Anonymous September 14, 2020

“Awful tablets, I was given 7 day Course, couldn’t eat, the taste was horrendous, drinking water made it worse, confusion, feeling sick and genuinely unwell, would never take again for stomach bacteria ”

Anonymous July 8, 2019

“I felt it was important for anyone prescribed Flagyl and looking at possible side effects. I delayed treatment due to reading comments and becoming horrified at the stories of other people's experiences. For me NOTHING HAPPENED!! I am the most sensitive person when it comes to medications. I had no side effects on this medication except for a slight headache on Day 1. That could also been attributed to me coming off of sugar and caffeine also. NO SIDE EFFECTS. All I did was put coconut oil around the pill, threw it to the back of my throat, and washed it down with juice. Problem solved reagarding awful pill taste. I did not touch alcohol. I cut out caffeine and sugar as to not add to any potential anxiety. There could be many reasons others have side effects including other prescription drug interactions. Please don't get thrown off by other peoples horror stories like I did. Just follow directions, eat properly, stay away from the alcohol, and get better.”

Nelly · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

“I have been ill since the start of June this year. Finally received diagnosis of BV last Thursday. Very concerned about taking this antibiotic after reading about so many bad experiences. Well I am happy to report that after taking 4 tablets to date, the only side effects I have experienced are a bit of dizziness after taking the tablet and slight stomach cramps, which resolve after about an hour. Hope this feedback offers some reassurance to someone. Oops, almost forget - I actually feel that I'm starting to get my life back - feel so much better.”

Mia · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

“I would not recommend taking Flagyl at all. I was given a one time high dosage of 5 pills at once and have experienced terrible anxiety, shortness of breath, insomnia and diarrhea. I was up all night worried sick about how I am feeling and just wishing I never took them at all. I don’t know why this drug is still on the market. Hoping my side effects disappear within 24 hours. It has definitely taken the infection away but in my opinion not worth the paranoia”

Anonymous December 15, 2019

“I went to my GYN for my annual pap and tested positive - asymptomatic BV, so prescribed flagyl. NO ALCOHOL during the course of treatment and up to 3 days after treatment. Take it SERIOUSLY. There should be some kind of warning against drinking anything with alcohol 48 hours PRIOR to taking it. Obviously, you don't want anything with alcohol in it 48 priors to taking it, either. Makes sense, doesn't it? Without ruining the effectiveness, I took a probiotic 1-1/2 - 2 hrs. after taking my 1st dose. I ate a filling meal when I took it (bread, rice, bananas, cheez-its, crackers, 1-2 Probiotic Activia yogurts a day). No nausea, no diarrhea, no stomach cramps, no headaches; NOTHING. I researched the warning about Propylene Glycol & the side effects. I could not find 1 thing to have this chemical in it that I ate. This IS the 1st time I have taken Flagyl and my dose was 500 mg, 2 X a day for 7 days. I hope this review helps someone. I had 100% NO SIDE EFFECTS.”

aloha · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

“Went in for my Pap smear and found out I had BV. I was prescribed Flagyl (1 tablet 2x a day). First day I only took one pill during my lunch break but forgot to take the second that night. Next day I took two pills as prescribed (morning and night). The following morning I noticed dark urine... allegedly that’s a ‘rare’ side effect. I’ve also experienced dry mouth, the metallic after taste, headaches, and loss of appetite. Other than that, I do see an improvement already. I’m glad these pills work quick, just hoping I won’t have to take it every again after the 7th day ”

Chelle · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

“If I could rate this medication a 0, I would. This medication has altered my life and I have experienced a toxic reaction to it. I have experienced neuropathy all over my body, numbness, became bed ridden due to weakness, and have had seizure and stroke like symptoms. Please tell your loved ones to avoid this medication if possible.”

Nethyn · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“Nah-ah. Never again. Worst medication I have ever taken. On my second day of taking this tablet, I was feeling nauseous. My appetite was bad and my stomach felt sick. Headaches, fatigue, easily irritated. I dreaded taking it when the time came. It made me absolutely miserable. My resting heart rate went up to 105 bpm. Even raising my voice ever so slightly made my heart pound harder. It was very stressful. Steer clear. I felt stupid taking this medicine for side effects that were much worse than the reason I needed them for.”

Anonymous August 26, 2020

“500 mg flagyl 2 per day for BV By the 3rd day I wanted to quit it was too strong. It made urine a dark brownish red color because of the way it breaks down in your body. I forced myself to complete the 7 day, on day 7th I was feeling better so had half a beer. Big Mistake, I didn't feel the reaction until 5 days after I stopped. Broke out in hives itchy and warm to the touch appearing in many places on my body some hives would burn. Still feeling it after 13 days along with chills but no fever, at night I swear I could feel things swell inside me like my kidney then the pain would move to my right knee joint then my left. Dr. said it sounded like I had an allergic reaction. Also it felt like there was a pressure tightness feeling in my inner ear or like air was inside but not painful like an earache. My lymph nodes under my neck were swollen. It felt like the right side of my face was going to go numb.”

EC · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“Flagyl antibiotic sent me to the psych hospital! Within 24 hours of taking flagyl, I was having side effects of being super drowsy, couldn't eat, having panic attacks, hallucinations, and so depressed I couldn't even get out of bed. I was also really confused and just out of it. I went to the psych hospital where they made me finish the course and it took WEEKS before I felt okay mentally. In its defence it got rid of the BV. Flagyl is one of the most powerful and potent antibiotics out there and I would only recommend it if you really need it.”

Calamity Jane September 20, 2020

“Flagyl was a miracle drug for my SIBO/IBS. The first time I used it 20 years ago I was unexplainably sick/nauseated and losing weight for months and after a colonoscopy and gall bladder scan the docs didn’t know what what wrong and one happened to put me on Flagyl and the next day I was better! I had no problem with this drug at all. I have just recently had the same flare up for the past 6 weeks and my doc put me on Flagyl and OMG- within 4 hours I was feeling better. I am 7 days in to a 10 day run and I haven’t felt this good in years. I am 66, have motility issues and this drug worked wonders for SIBO/IBS.”

Qwerty · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

“I've never had any medication make me as sick as Flagyl has. The nausea is so bad, it has been waking me up at night. I'm calling my doctor today to get a different medication. I'm halfway through, but I can't handle another day of this. Absolutely never again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2013

“Been on this for a week! Even though it's taking care of my issue I can't wait to take my last pill. I've been sick to my stomach, loss of appetite, headache, dizzy, blurry vision, disoriented, fatigued, can't sleep well. Just ready for this course to be over.”

loveconquersall · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2020

“I have SIBO and my doctor prescribed Flagyl 250 MG 3 times/day for 14 days and Rifaximin 3 times/day for 14 days to treat SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Overall, my experience with Flagyl was unpleasant -- I experienced moderate side effects that made me feel worse, so I stopped after 4 days and kept on the Rifaximin with no problems. On flagyl, I experienced fatigue -- when I tried to workout to boost energy, I felt horrendous -- nauseous with flu-like symptoms. I experienced loss of appetite for normal healthy foods and found that I was binging on unhealthy foods. Slight metallic taste in my mouth, and a moderate feeling of upset stomach that came and went. Also, moderate bloating. If I had been extremely sick, and Flagyl made me feel better, I may have kept on it, but for someone with mild SIBO, this drug wasn't worth it. If you're only mildly ill, I'd suggest finding an alternative medicine, if possible.”

Bre · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

“I’m on day 4 of a 7 day treatment for BV (bacterial vaginitis) with Flagyl. I feel amazing. I was warned by my my doctor and pharmacist of alcohol and side effects. On my 2nd pill I did get abdominal pain and minimal diarrhea but that was it. I expected it to continue but so far I feel better than ever. I feel like it helped me in so many other ways than just BV treatment. I feel healthy and awake. All meds have side effects some worse than others and some experience more than others. My experience so far has been great.”

Antonia · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

“Just finished a 14 day course of Xifaxin and Flagyl for SIBO -C (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with constipation). I was admittedly anxious about taking it at all due to some of the horrible reviews in general on the internet. However, I was fine. I actually stuck the pill inside a blueberry, and took it on a spoon of applesauce. It worked like a charm. I also followed the instructions to take the flagyl every 8 hours which meant keeping a weird eating schedule. I experienced virtually no metal taste issues, had some minor side effects, but generally felt well with good energy. I wanted to comment, as I believe people who tolerate it do not tend to make the effort to comment. The only way to know, is to try. I am hoping this course of antibiotics will reduce the bacteria in my gut, and help on the journey to healing.”

Idol · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“Was prescribed this for BV following a LEEP procedure. One tablet and I was feeling weird. Kind of tingly. I immediately stopped taking it as that is a very rare and bad side effect! Needless to say I'm not going to take any more of this drug.”

bas · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2021

“Flagyl also made my life miserable. On the 4th day I had extreme nausea and even though I had diarrhea from the bacterial infection thanks to flagyl the amount of diarrhea became even worse. I also had dryness in my mouth (not sure there was any metallic taste though). Yesterday was the end of my 7th day and my doctor thankfully said that I can stop taking it. I was so relieved until I figured out even though I did not take any flagly on my first day I had a blurry-like vision following that extreme tingling on my teeth, hands and feet. I assume it was a severe panic attack. My heartbeat was super high, I was on full panic mode and felt so helpless. I hope all of the side effects go away soon. I assume flagyl cured my bacterial infection but there were way too many side effects. My first and very last time using this antibiotic…”

Erin September 12, 2019

“Just finished taking a week’s worth of Flagyl, twice a day. It’s brutal, but your body will adjust. It helped me to sip ginger tea when nauseous and to eat a small meal and drink a full glass of water when I take it. As a nurse, I just want to remind people that even if this drug is wrecking your body, always consult your doctor before stopping treatment. If you only take 4/5 days and are prescribed 7, the bacteria left in your body will have time to develop an immunity to meds, and your infection will rebuild and turn into a superinfection and the antibiotics won’t work next time. There is a reason antibiotics are given over prescribed amounts of time, and stopping them before completion is going to bring on something much worse than side effects. Trust me, I wanted to die taking this medication- many sleepless nights and bad side effects- but an antibiotic resistant infection is much worse than one week of side effects. If you absolutely have to, call your dr first. Good luck!”

Kitkat February 10, 2020

“I was given this for BV I've been on this for 6 days was given 2x day for 7 days the taste is horrendous..I've noticed a bit of tiredness, I always have back pain so I can't attribute that to the medication..I haven't noticed any other symptoms”

Ugh · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

“I almost think it’s better for people to read this IF they also had a bad reaction and don’t want to feel so alone, because I have heard of this working really well for some people, as with any drug. It seems to me that if you do have a bad experience with this, it isn’t mild, but extreme, as was the case for me. I don’t do well on many antibiotics, but this one was in a class of its own for me. It took me over three months to feel somewhat normal again. It went from bad hives, to feeling like my joints were trying to leave my body, to feeling incredibly dizzy and nauseous, to stomach pain. It sounds dramatic, but I have never felt worse on any antibiotic. What it was prescribed for was so much easier to handle than the side effects of this train wreck. Every inch of my body felt off on this medicine. Even mentally, it gave me anxiety. The only antibiotic that came close to this one as far as feeling horrible is Cipro.”

ashleyelizabeth8 July 24, 2013

“I really don't understand all the negative reviews for this medicine. I've been on it for three solid days now and have had absolutely no issues. I'm taking 500 mg, one pill twice a day. I've been taking it after lunch and dinner and haven't had any issues with diarrhea, nausea, or dizziness. As for people complaining about the taste of the pill, how are you even able to know what it tastes like? It should be in your mouth for less than a second, just swallow it down with a glass of water or some orange juice.”