User Reviews for Flagyl

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 887 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

"This drug almost killed me. I took 400mg twice a day x 5 days. First day was ok. The second day I experienced stomachache, agitation, insomnia, nausea, hallucination, nightmares. The third day rushed to hospital with blurred vision which lasted for over 11 hours. Never again."

Albertino76 December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went to the dr...realized I had bv...asked dr for creme flagyl but I was prescribed the pills instead. I eat ice usually everyday and drink only water... since the pills, I have had this metal taste and water especially doesn't taste right.. tastes like lead or something....food everything... how long does it take for this taste go away"

Brit8810 December 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in July of this year. Had my first round of antibiotics in August (21 days) I'm now on my 2nd round of antibiotics this time I’m on 500mg of Flagyl and 875mg of Augmentin. I’m about 2 weeks in or 14 days in and I feel horrible. Back pain, pain in both my feet and hands. Dizziness, very fatigued. All I want to do is sleep. I had changes in my urine and stools. Went to ER cause I thought I was literally going to die. I suffer from anxiety so this a medication just makes it worse. I have racing heart rate and all my labs and CT of my organs came back normal thank god. Funny how meds can fix one thing but cause all sorts of other things."

Eveette December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DON'T VAPE!! I was prescribed this drug for BV after getting an abnormal pap and Colposcopy done. All doctors and pharmacists are quick to tell you that you should not drink with it. That is very true, after taking this drug for 5 days and feeling awful from it, I decided to go ahead and drink a few beers. So nauseous! HEED THE DOCTORS WARNING ON THIS!!!! Finally threw up and took a nap and felt much better. I DID NOT know that the PG (in my vape juice) is why I felt so bad for the whole first 5 days. It actually was a Vape site that made it clear to me. I understand that all info can be found in a leaflet that you get when you pick up the med, I just didn't put it together about PG and it being in almost all my e-juice."

tricky(not trichi)nikki (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took a week's worth of pills of this for a second BV flareup (tried Tindamax the first time and the BV came back) and I am confident enough now to write a positive review. All side effects (discharge, foul odor, stabbing pain) subsided by either the third or fourth day. So far so yeast infection, but I am being very proactive and taking probiotics daily and eating lots of yogurt. Side effects were very minimal and manageable, just a bit of fatigue and dizziness and light sensitivity. Nothing horrible. PRO TIP: Wrap the pills in bread before you swallow them. No metallic aftertaste at all if you do this!"

kelseyyy8567 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm using it for a five day period for a bacteria infection, twice a day. I think its working. It's my fourth day and it was the only day I felt slight irritation. I'm not sure if that means it has stopped working or what but I hope that after my last day that I finally get a full ease. My only side effect is headache and dizziness as well as nausea which isn't so bad. As for the taste, I don't keep it on my tongue long enough to get a good taste so I can't testify for that."

Tried It August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Literally I feel like the this is the worst medication I've ever been on. Surgeon put me on this for an oral abscess.... been dying for like 5 days and two more to go. Can't sleep but I'm so tired eat, look at light, worst headache ever. Stomach hurts but this headache makes me forget about that. All in all, I feel horrible."

Hannahh13 August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed flagyl for BV but was never entirely sure I even had it as no tests were conducted. Took the pills and am so happy tomorrow is my last day! Literally the worst side effects ever, day one wasn't so bad just had metallic taste in mouth but every other day I've experienced headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue to where I'm sleeping all day. The medication is so much worse than the slight issues I even had."

Cd4 June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pathetic medicine I was prescribed flagyl 400mg 3 times a day for 3 days. After day one I felt the side effects immediately. Tiredness, fatigue, headaches and increased sensitivity being the major ones. Worst part is after completing my course I'm still feeling the side effects.Sensitivity to light has increased along with dizziness and fatigue!!!"

erix April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was in hospital for extreme pain in my tummy, vomiting and diarrhea at same time which later turned into vomiting and pooping blood. Diagnosed with Colitis. She also said it was a BI. I stayed a day cause the pain was so bad and I couldn't keep anything down so I was giving morphine by IV till I could keep fluids down. Also on Flagyl 500 3x day and Cipro 500 2x day for 14 days. On my 4th day and this medicine has been a life saver!! I've lost 6 pounds in 4 days. I'm only eating a couple crackers and soup juice. Nothing taste right. some foods have a metal taste. Also, makes me ache like I have the flu. But nothing like the pain I was in before! I will take these few side effects before going through the pain I had before."

DeDe A. C (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After suffering for 2 weeks, I went to my GYN and was diagnosed with a bacterial infection. She prescribed Flagyl. And even though it tastes awful, I have found it to be quite effective. I am on my last day and even though I still have some slight symptoms, I feel much better. I took my doses with milk to lessen the nausea and used an oatmeal wash and miconazole nitrate cream for the itching. Both have helped a lot in getting me through this awful infection. Even with the bad taste and the side effects, I would definitely use this medication again, although I hope never to have this infection again."

Grpch75 March 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 500mg for twice a day in order to get rid of my BV. I only had a small headache the first night and slight nausea, but it wasn't bad at all. The rest of the days and nights were fine. BUT, this is what I did: ate a big brunch and a big dinner, and took the pill in between eating each meal. During the middle of the day I ate something with probiotics, like kimchi or cultured cashew cheese. At night before bed I would have I high quality probiotic pill with 50 billion cultures that support vaginal health. Other than that, lots of water, healthy food, and using condoms! Good luck!"

Happy! (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst taste been on it 4 days and lost 6 pounds can't eat or drink anything tastes horrible. Even water"

Jclop January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr. prescribed me flagyl 500mg for 4 days, once a day. Before I take any meds i do a research on them to know what to expect or whats not normal, but honestly I have to stop doing this!! I read all this awful symptoms all of you or most of you were going through and I almost give up on the pill before even starting! BUt then I realize each women has a different experience, and so far the only symptom is the metallic taste in my mouth and a little dry my mouth also. I'm hoping this is the last med I have to take and go back to healthy vagina because I've being MONTHS at this, between BV or Yeast infections and its driving me INSANE. Before this pills, I used metrogel for 7days. Either it didn't work, or now I have YI. Good luck to you all!"

Desperate! (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on day 6 of a 7 day treatment, and I'm throwing in the towel. I've never had such terrible side effects. Severe dizziness, insomnia, dehydration, irritated bladder, racing heart, anxiety, constant bad taste in mouth. I barely had any BV symptoms to begin with, so the meds have felt like unnecessary torture. Never again."

simpsa (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to take the drug every 8 hours for 7 days. All the other reviews claiming this drug gives horrible side effects is false. For the first 3 days, I had slight nausea, nothing unbearable. The last day I made the mistake of splitting the pill, to make it easier to swallow, which was a bad idea. I got extreme nausea and couldn't sleep for hours. Only cons of this pill is the taste, the pill starts dissolving as soon as it hits your tongue. It is a pretty big pill, which is why I cut it in half. Just stick with the size though. On the third day of taking this medication, the discharge and smell of BV was completely gone. I would take this drug again, the minor side effects sure beat having BV."

lks54 January 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed this drug to take twice a day for 7 days for bv. Noticed after day two the symptoms were subsiding. For the first 6 days I took it straight after lunch and dinner with a bottle of water. Had barely any side effects apart from on day 3 I woke up feeling nauseous and with a headache but nothing major at all. And on day 7 I forgot to take the drug after my dinner so ended up taking it 4 hours later, and noticed a slight tummy ache. Overall I would definitely recommend this drug for BV"

Anna d (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok so.. I didn't know what was going on... this medicine has totally changed... my side effects are nausea, lower back pain every Time I stand, mouth taste blah and tired.oh gas and diarrhea .. so glad tomorrow is my last day... the best advice I can give is to eat heavy..."

Pie... December 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was just diagnosed with BV and am now on my 2nd day of meds. Day 1 I felt nauseous and had some headaches, but neither were unbearable. This morning I feel almost as if I'm getting a UTI because its a little uncomfortable to pee and I have the urge to go frequently. I'm hoping this will go away once I'm done with my dosages (2 pills/day). Pills taste a little funky, but like I said nothing unbearable. I may try the cream next time around!"

Erin C. (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started this medicine today for c diff, which I have been trying to fight with diet & probiotics for months now. I thought I had a handle on it at first, but the bugs clearly had a meeting in my gut about their dwindling numbers and decided to multiply faster than ever before. It returned with a vengeance. Reading all of these horrid side effects is scary but a ten day ride through mall of it seems appealing to me at this point if it kills the c diff. No metallic taste for me so far but I do feel sort of loopy and may just go to bed for a week. Will update my progress and experiences soon. Insomnia? God I hope not."

Jessie9999999 November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first time I had bv I was given cream for 5 days that worked fine, the second time with bv I had pills they were better than cream. 3 rd time with bv pill again for 7 days after day 2 the worst side effects ever had with any meds, only on day 4 and don't want to take anymore pills, metal taste in mouth, constant nausea, head aches I hate this pill but it seem its taking long to clear up. Still having discharge I rather have the cream."

Ms.Priss (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 500mg 2x day for 7 days. I am on day 3, side effects so far are fatigue and flu like symptoms. I have not experienced the bad taste. Hopefully this works have never taken this before."

sharon12153 November 9, 2016

"As expected"

Granny Di (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed to take this twice a day for 7 days for bacterial vaginosis. I will never allow a doctor to prescribe me this ever again!! The taste comes from nightmares for starters, and good LORD the side effects are NOT worth it!! Constant nausea, dizziness, everything tastes like fecal matter, fevers, restlessness, overall weak and uncomfortable. This cannot be good for you. I didn't even have any side effects with the BV itself, It's this medication that has been making me feel like death!"

Suffragette City October 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed a 500mg 3x a day dosage for 10 days. I always have issues with antibiotics but this by far is the worst side effects I've ever had! The metallic taste, diarrhea, headaches and overall feeling is horrible. I just completed day 5 and it was so bad that I wanted to stick my fingers down my throat and force myself to throw up! I also started to developed oral thrush! The medicine does seem to be working but I'm not taking all 10 days. I feel like I can barely make it to 7!!"

Rkind7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016