User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 888 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Bacterial Infection

"Worst taste been on it 4 days and lost 6 pounds can't eat or drink anything tastes horrible. Even water"

Jclop January 31, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My Dr. prescribed me flagyl 500mg for 4 days, once a day. Before I take any meds i do a research on them to know what to expect or whats not normal, but honestly I have to stop doing this!! I read all this awful symptoms all of you or most of you were going through and I almost give up on the pill before even starting! BUt then I realize each women has a different experience, and so far the only symptom is the metallic taste in my mouth and a little dry my mouth also. I'm hoping this is the last med I have to take and go back to healthy vagina because I've being MONTHS at this, between BV or Yeast infections and its driving me INSANE. Before this pills, I used metrogel for 7days. Either it didn't work, or now I have YI. Good luck to you all!"

Desperate! (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm on day 6 of a 7 day treatment, and I'm throwing in the towel. I've never had such terrible side effects. Severe dizziness, insomnia, dehydration, irritated bladder, racing heart, anxiety, constant bad taste in mouth. I barely had any BV symptoms to begin with, so the meds have felt like unnecessary torture. Never again."

simpsa (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had to take the drug every 8 hours for 7 days. All the other reviews claiming this drug gives horrible side effects is false. For the first 3 days, I had slight nausea, nothing unbearable. The last day I made the mistake of splitting the pill, to make it easier to swallow, which was a bad idea. I got extreme nausea and couldn't sleep for hours. Only cons of this pill is the taste, the pill starts dissolving as soon as it hits your tongue. It is a pretty big pill, which is why I cut it in half. Just stick with the size though. On the third day of taking this medication, the discharge and smell of BV was completely gone. I would take this drug again, the minor side effects sure beat having BV."

lks54 January 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prescribed this drug to take twice a day for 7 days for bv. Noticed after day two the symptoms were subsiding. For the first 6 days I took it straight after lunch and dinner with a bottle of water. Had barely any side effects apart from on day 3 I woke up feeling nauseous and with a headache but nothing major at all. And on day 7 I forgot to take the drug after my dinner so ended up taking it 4 hours later, and noticed a slight tummy ache. Overall I would definitely recommend this drug for BV"

Anna d (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ok so.. I didn't know what was going on... this medicine has totally changed... my side effects are nausea, lower back pain every Time I stand, mouth taste blah and tired.oh gas and diarrhea .. so glad tomorrow is my last day... the best advice I can give is to eat heavy..."

Pie... December 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was just diagnosed with BV and am now on my 2nd day of meds. Day 1 I felt nauseous and had some headaches, but neither were unbearable. This morning I feel almost as if I'm getting a UTI because its a little uncomfortable to pee and I have the urge to go frequently. I'm hoping this will go away once I'm done with my dosages (2 pills/day). Pills taste a little funky, but like I said nothing unbearable. I may try the cream next time around!"

Erin C. (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just started this medicine today for c diff, which I have been trying to fight with diet & probiotics for months now. I thought I had a handle on it at first, but the bugs clearly had a meeting in my gut about their dwindling numbers and decided to multiply faster than ever before. It returned with a vengeance. Reading all of these horrid side effects is scary but a ten day ride through mall of it seems appealing to me at this point if it kills the c diff. No metallic taste for me so far but I do feel sort of loopy and may just go to bed for a week. Will update my progress and experiences soon. Insomnia? God I hope not."

Jessie9999999 November 23, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The first time I had bv I was given cream for 5 days that worked fine, the second time with bv I had pills they were better than cream. 3 rd time with bv pill again for 7 days after day 2 the worst side effects ever had with any meds, only on day 4 and don't want to take anymore pills, metal taste in mouth, constant nausea, head aches I hate this pill but it seem its taking long to clear up. Still having discharge I rather have the cream."

Ms.Priss (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed 500mg 2x day for 7 days. I am on day 3, side effects so far are fatigue and flu like symptoms. I have not experienced the bad taste. Hopefully this works have never taken this before."

sharon12153 November 9, 2016

"As expected"

Granny Di (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed to take this twice a day for 7 days for bacterial vaginosis. I will never allow a doctor to prescribe me this ever again!! The taste comes from nightmares for starters, and good LORD the side effects are NOT worth it!! Constant nausea, dizziness, everything tastes like fecal matter, fevers, restlessness, overall weak and uncomfortable. This cannot be good for you. I didn't even have any side effects with the BV itself, It's this medication that has been making me feel like death!"

Suffragette City October 9, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed a 500mg 3x a day dosage for 10 days. I always have issues with antibiotics but this by far is the worst side effects I've ever had! The metallic taste, diarrhea, headaches and overall feeling is horrible. I just completed day 5 and it was so bad that I wanted to stick my fingers down my throat and force myself to throw up! I also started to developed oral thrush! The medicine does seem to be working but I'm not taking all 10 days. I feel like I can barely make it to 7!!"

Rkind7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It seems that the single day/dose medication (4 pills in one day) seems to have less severe side effects than your long treatments (7-10 day). I was diagnosed with BV and I was prescribed Metronidazole (flagyl) with 4 pills. I took two at first because I didn't know how the side effects would effect me but I felt nothing, so I took the other two pills two hours later and still, I feel fine. Maybe a little pain in my abdomen, but if you've ever slept on a bad mattress, the feeling is something of that sort. Not bad. Woke up this morning and my discharge seems to be gone and the itch as well. Now all I'm doing is making sure I don't develope a yeast infection by wearing loose clothing, drinking lots of water/ cranberry juice & eating yogurt."

Jade_6792 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was taking Flagyl two times a day for a week time period and it was awful in terms of side effects was concerned. It started working instantly. However, I was throwing up every night I took this pill due to upset stomach which was aggravating because i already was not eating much to begin with so I was dry heaving. I experienced diarrhea, short breaths, brief itching. The metallic taste puts a horrible taste in your mouth so bad to the point I literally dreaded taking the pill each day. But midway through the pill I got smart and put it on a spoon full of yogurt to mask the taste and let me tell you it works wonders! So if you don't eat yogurt try a pudding or something like that and it will be so much better. I hope that helps."

Ceepee23 September 27, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The worst metallic taste in mouth, dizziness and nausea"

Daisymay246hfdsvdsaa. September 23, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"this is by far the worst tasting medicine ive ever had! i dread taking it but it did clear up my infection but at the end of my 7 days i ended up with oral thrush and a yeast infection i was able to cure those on my own with home remedies the med is effective just has a few unpleasant side affects"

TY TY September 16, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"No side effects at first. On 7 day treatment 2 times a day. By day 5 I noticed I've had severe insomnia, extremely dry nose, headachey, general feeling of being unwell. But infection felt cured so that's good. Don't swallow toothpaste like another reviewer suggested, just try to put way back in your mouth to swallow it fastest. Take with food! It's not good for people to swallow toothpaste 2 times a day. Stomach upset on day 5 as well. More like bad indigestion and always hungry even though I ate. But with only three pills left i'm determined to finish treatment. If it doesn't work for you and you are trying to treat bv even pregnant ask of you can try the vaginal gel if you can't take the side effects of this med."

Sweetie214 July 26, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had Mirena for 2 years and suffered from Continuous BV. I have been on Flagyl many many times. I had to have my marina taken out three months ago and I didn't have anymore a BV until this past week. I am taking a seven day does two times a day. This is the first time that it has caused a metallic taste in my mouth and horrible time trying to sleep. I can't seem to fall asleep and when I do I am restless and up every 10 to 15 minutes. On the plus side I know when I i'm done with this prescription I will be completely treated so it is worth it."

Jlw12345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi my protocol was 12 day 500 mg 3x daily Flagyl for C Diff. Many bad side effects. I felt very unusual. Day 6 the pain and cramping subsided. I used medical marijuana before I'd eat the fat free dairy free no raw veggies high soluble fiber diet. I drank a gallon of water after last horrid Flagyl so nasty. Citrus fruits. Bland small snack meals. 24 hours after I had 2 glasses of chardonnay with small dinner. There is hope! I've finally after 3 weeks turned the corner feeling better. RESTRICT diet. You will save relapse. Drink Kefir yogurt milk. It contains live probiotics and supplement with unlive probiotic capsules. Best ones found on colon website are at Amazon $25 for 30 days. Higher concentration called Nexabiotic Advanced Probiotic ."

Lizax July 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Working antibiotic, definitely strong on the side effects, feels like I have to urine as if I was pregnant, insomnia for sure, thank god I only need to take this pill for alittle time, stomachs upset all the time, not when eating but early in the morning, feels the need to vomit."

Lriel559 June 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This wasn't right for me. Only was on it for 5 doses, so I don't know if it helped. I puked up the fifth dose, then got dizzy, and almost passed out on the ride to the ER. It settled down after a couple hrs, Had no alcohol for the past 10 days. This likely wouldn't happen to most people. But it's got gnarly side effects if it don't agree with you."

karl1 June 17, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm shocked at how many people say the pill taste awful. I had the mega dosage (4 pills at once) and I just took a big sip of fruit punch, dropped the pill in the back of my throat and swallowed. Tasted nothing. You guys must be sucking them like peppermints. As far a symptoms, barely any. I did get a lil nausea here and there but no big deal. Pills seemed to work almost immediately."

SashaFierceMe April 27, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"so far I have had some stomach cramping but at least the doctor in the hospital told me what to expect I'm getting better"

phil pots (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have now taken Flagyl twice, no side effects other than the awful taste. made me dread taking the pills every 12 hours. did not cure BV either time I used it, and I took it exactly every 12 hours."

enol March 19, 2016