User Reviews for Flagyl

Learn more about Flagyl.

Flagyl Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Flagyl to treat Diverticulitis

"I have had three episodes of Diverticulitus in the last five years. Because I had pretty rough experiences with Flagyl / Cipro combination in my previous episodes, I asked for the pharmacist to advise me, with my prior history in mind. I really wanted this time to be different. He said the most important advice is DO NOT USE ALCOHOL, which sounds like common sense; but that includes mouthwash. (you might swallow a bit) It's a slow recovery; absolutely. I live in So Cal and this was during a heat wave, but I slept day and night the first few days with a heating pad on my lower adbomen. The pharmacy confirmed Tylenol is okay pain, also. It's not a walk in the park, but I did better this time, even with other minor side effects."

Dory17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had side effects from these drugs but found when I did not take them at the same time it wasn't as bad. In States where it's legal, THC help with the diverticulitis as well as the side effects of flagyl and cipro."

Jacche July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Leaves the worst metalic taste in your mouth, my heart has been racing 100+ off and on since I have been on this. Started 7 days ago and still have 3 to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never had any issues, until I was diagnosed with a very minor case diverticulitis and was prescribed this drug. It has been nine months and counting, and my life has changed. This drug cause severe stomach pain, numbing of the arms, and a trip to the ER. After two or three doses, I had to quit. The biggest outcome of this was gastritis, something I've never had in my life. Nearly every night I wake up sick. I am on multiple drugs to combat this gastritis, but my condition is getting worse. As an active person (hiking, running, biking and such), this has hampered all of these activities. My sleep is very poor now. I have no idea what I can eat or not eat. I dare not drink alcohol and cannot eat after 6p lest I suffer all night."

Death's Door (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first time I ever had diverticulitis I ended up in the hospital for three days with massive doses of flagyl through an IV. After that I had a couple of bouts of what I thought were UTI's but ended up the start of diverticulitis (which mostly happens when I travel). Because I recognize the symptoms, I am allowed to have a few pills with me at all times just in case and catching the attack soon enough usually only requires a couple of doses. It has been an absolute lifesaver!!!!! I've had to do the routine of many days and add in Cipro, so it's one of those cases where you need to be in tune with what's happening with your body to avoid getting that sick."

Maeward7864 January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I deal with diverticulitis every 9 to 12 months. CT over the past 15 years keep showing mild diverticulitis as they call it but when it hits it feels nothing like mild! Nasty lower left abdominal pain . Sometimes I get a fever. Now my dr. Just put me on antibiotics as soon as I get symptoms because I always go into the fever eventually . Yes going on this for 7 to 10 days can give you diarrhea. I found quite a while ago since probiotic yogurt came out as long as I eat lots of that I rarely get diarrhea now. And since you should be on liquid and very soft food diet anyway just switch yourself and eat nothing but probiotic yogurt and soups while you're taking this stuff. always take it with a meal too. And no alcohol!"

Yetagainforme December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh, man,am I ever sick....yes, the lower abd pain is getting better, but! I am on methotrexate and am having blood in my stools...I didn't see anyone else mention that....so, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, but I guess I'll try to contact my doc and see what he says...I'm on day three almost...if I take it tonight???!! I was prescribed cipro and flagyl in the ER for acute diverticulitis."

beebarbie (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis, and got all the symptoms as everyone else. Dry mouth, headaches, funny taste in mouth, diarrhea and generally feel sluggish, tired and beside myself. Though I was the only one feeling like crap but the pain is gone and I too am on a better diet. Seven days left and I am throwing these empty bottles in the trash!"

SevenEleven November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Flagyl and cipro Sunday night when I went to ER for severe abdominal pain. CT scan revealed acute colitis. Day 3 of antibiotics and now feeling nauseous, light headed, no appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. Pain gone but will suffer through if it clears up those pesky parasites. Doc said could be short or long term. I vote for short. The docs should warn of possible side effects to prepare a person."

Dragnldy (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Brown tongue, dry mouth, metallic taste, very yellow urine,"

Fralary (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug caused uncontrollable diarrhea and stomach upset and I had to stop taking it after just 2 days. This was given for mild diverticulitis and I got better with a liquid diet for several days then low fiber soft food then graduated to regular foods. I had another bout of diverticulitis 4 months later and just did the diet - didn't go to doctors of use antibiotics. For my mild cases this is the way to go. This drug caused more harm than good."

nonickname August 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my third diverticulitis event in 9 years, and each time I have been treated with Cipro and Flagyl, but I do not remember feeling so awful the first two times, nor do I remember the horrifically bad taste of the metronidazole (flagyl.) I can hardly get it down and after I do the horrible taste in my mouth is beyond description. I have resorted to immediately grabbing a lollipop to coat my mouth and pharynx with the sweet sugary taste, which actually does help. On top of that I am nauseated, dizzy, have a foggy brain, and nothing tastes normal or good, not even water. I am thankful for the improvement in the abdominal pain, as that shows that the horrid stuff is working, but dang, can't they put it in a capsule?"

trying to be thankful August 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was hospitalized with my first case of diverticulitis in March of this year and was given Flagyl 3x daily for 3-4 weeks. Vomited violently in the hospital within 10 minutes after taking it each time until they started giving me something to coat my stomach a little beforehand. The entire time I had to take it, I felt like my stomach was being eaten from the inside. My taste buds changed totally while I was on it and nothing tasted normal. I agree, Flagyl is the worst medicine ever! I will suffer the pain from diverticulitis before taking it again!"

abeehamie (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was given this for diverticulitis and after day 3 of taking woke up in a cold sweat, hair soaking wet and feeling faint. Slurred speach and overall feeling of dying! Went back to ER and they said it was side effect of this medication. They told me to continue no matter what, told them I'd rather die and threw the medication away. I'm still alive and doing well without this nasty medicine!"

Anonymous June 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken this for Diverticulitis and BV. It works. Had bleeding and severe almost septic Diverticulitis, was in hospital for 5 days and this cured it. Gets rid of BV too, just make sure to take Rephresh Pro-B pill immediately after finishing course of flagl and continue for a few months if you want to keep vagina healthy. Side affects of flagyl are diarrhea and slight nausea but bearable, just take it in the middle of meal. If you have horrible affects from it you are having allergic reaction, not side affects. I know bc my mom is allergic to flagyl. If taking for diverticulitus, take high grade probiotic for 2 months after finishing course of antibiotics to replenish good bacteria in gut."

Delta20000 April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medicine for my diverticulitis and every time I took this pill I was experiencing bad cramping, so I went to the emergency room and the doctor there told me to stop that medication because it causes constipation. So I'm just taking the other medicine and thus far no cramping just a bit of a headache but that's better than getting abdominal pains"

angelofmyeyes February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say that metronidazole is a horrible antibiotic as far as side effects go especially when one has to go to work. I experienced a lot of dizziness, migraines, muscle pain even in my heart, jittery and drowziness. I'm sure flagyl is the same. Next time I'm asking not to get this prescribed my doctor. Better yet take it off the shelf."

Kaiser patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 3 on Flagyl and Cipro. I thought I was having a heart attack. This stuff has horrid side effects. Discomfort in my chest and arm. Foggy headed feeling, dizziness, unbalanced, headache, very nauseous, metal taste, very blurry eyesight. No energy, at 55 it is not a good thing to feel this way, especially when you are overweight and out of shape. This is only day 3 I don't think I can take this stuff for 7 more days. They say the IV kind is worse though. Supposedly it's helping (I do feel less pain in my abdomen I think). IF I make it through this stuff I bet I will watch what I eat and make better choices in the future. I called the pharmacy and the doc and both said to stay on it, cipro 2X daily and flagyl 4X daily. Scary stuff."

Anonymous November 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cringe when I think about having to take cipro and flagyl. I'm nauseous, dizzy, light headed, ache, and foggy headed. Can't function and sleep all the time. I miss a weeks worth of work because I feel so bad."

Claudine27 October 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seems effective. Second use with diverticulitis. Both times combined with Cipro. Had some side effects but not sure which medication they came from. Plus the diverticulitis itself causes gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache, nausea so how do you know what was meds and what was the illness? I experienced urine discoloration-slight rusty tone. I can say that the taste of the Flagyl pill is horrible. Also, after starting the meds I became over sensitive to smells and everything I ate or drank, even water, tasted disgusting. (Not so bad as I'm not supposed to be eating foods). I found that if I swallow the Flagyl with a sip of a smoothie (from supermarket) it slips down easy with no sticking and no bad taste."

metalmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 36 yo active female diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I took the combo of meds and am on day 7 now. I work out 6 days a week and have had to modify my workouts and weight lifting because I feel absolutely drained, weak and muscles ache. (This of course was advised against by both doctor and pharmacist but alas I am a knucklehead) I have the metallic taste as well in addition to nausea with the meds. However I would prefer these side effects to the pain associated with Diverticulitis."

Amelia_W September 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Flagyl a few times and it works very well. But, why can't they put it in a gelcap. It is so hard for me to take because of the taste. I take it with cranberry juice, which helps. But, really, it is nasty tasting."

Anonymous September 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was put on flagyl and cipro for 1 week. I'm light-headed and only want to sleep! Nauseous and my mouth tastes awful. I am glad to read all of these posts and I thought I was getting a secondary sinus infection. MY last pills were on a monday and today, wednesday I still feel 'in the clouds'."

steph659 August 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015