User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I've used Ortho for 17yrs off & on. I have PCOs, PMDD & painful uterine fibroids. This is the only pill that stops the most heaviest of bleeding within 24-32hr for me! Stops the horrid pain of my fibroids & cysts. I've never gained weight from it, it's always cleared up my skin & periods are 60% less painful & the flow is low & short lived! This one has always been perfect for me."

Nyk (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this for heavy bleeding and Pain from Fibroids.I had to get a blood transfusion. It helped the severe pain in my lower back & stomach.The heavy bleeding not so much! I'm on my 3rd pack, and the first two months had heavy or just bleeding everyday of the month, and still some. Side effects I get are nauseousness a lot more depression, headaches ,upset stomach, gas more. I think and I read others say they got that too. Idk if the bleeding is breakthru bleeding or my fibroids, but I certainly don't need anymore bleeding. I have Anemia now from bleeding everyday."

Daisy doo July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this pill at 18 because I didn't have my period for 6 months. My period came back after the first month. My acne got worse for the first 6 months but eventually got a bit better, no more cystic acne. My appetite skyrocketed but my weight has stayed constant. It's also given me hot flashes. Lots of moodiness and anxiety but that might be unrelated to the pill, and it has improved somewhat. After 15 months I've decided to switch pills. That being said, the pill affects everyone differently so take my experience with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen, I was hospitalized. I came very close to needing a blood transfusion. Halfway through a pack, I started to bleed heavily. I went to the ER and had ultrasounds done to be sure I wasn't having a miscarriage or cyst rupture. It was explained to me that the added hormones were not balancing well, which was causing one to crash and cause heavy bleeding. I was immediately taken off of birth control. I won't ever try it again. It was a very scary experience."

Cheree13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through a number of birth control pills and even had the implanon, each one gave me some sort of side effect (mostly horrible mood swings, terrible breakthrough needing and depression) I started taking this pill a couple months after I had my daughter and it worked great for me. But as soon as my prescription ran out and I had to wait a few days to get back on schedule, I just kept bleeding. It's been going on for two weeks now and I'm still bleeding today, IDK what to do about this I'm so frustrated because this has been the only pill that hasn't severely altered my hormones until recently. Should I continue the usage and wait it out a but longer? Really don't want to be pregnant again. "

Lillya07 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Last year or so I was having constant spotting and so I went to the Dr. and was put on different birth control pills, none of which helped with the spotting until this one. I've had no spotting whatsoever on this one and I've been on it for 9 months or so and my periods only last about 3-4 days which is nice. I've also stopped getting bad cramps which were horrendous prior to birth control. My acne has cleared up expect for the occasional spot but only once a month or so. I have not experienced any weight gain either, however I do notice some slight mood changes but it's nothing that is uncontrollable. I would recommend."

MJade29 December 12, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced a lot of breakthrough bleeding with this birth control"

janiece (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking at age 16 for irregular periods. Used for approximately 2 1/2 years and wanted to try NuvaRing. Used it for about 4 months and switched back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen. It wasn't long before I was spotting in between periods and finally switched after several months of that."

Anonymous August 27, 2010