User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 28 reviews 10 medications

8.1
Acne 309 reviews 562 medications

7.9
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 337 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Tretinoin

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I was on accutane (isotretinoin) from December 2015 to July 2016. I had severe acne all over my face, chest, back, and shoulders. Post-accutane my skin was clear as water and I got so many compliments on my skin. My skin was clear and I never got one pimple until mid April 2017 I noticed pimples reappearing on my skin. I got in touch with my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin 0.025% and a face wash- sodium sulfacetamide with salycic acid. I am now on 0.05% and I have been on the gel for a little over 8 weeks. I have seen significant improvement since I started and I did experience about a month and a half of initial breakout. I highly recommend this gel and don't give up! It takes time and my skin is still clearing up. Patience!!!!!"

Alexandra mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I have always had acne from in my early teens but just a few pimples now an again. I am now 23, I have relocated to the north coast where I started experiencing terrible breakout it started with rash then small pimples then a disaster. In 2016 I went to my dermatologist who prescribed retin A 0.05% 2 days after using the product I started having unbearable burning when using anything on my face be it water, cleanser or moisturize it just burned like crazy and my acne got worst to the point where people asking me what was wrong with my face, so about two weeks in I stopped using the product. Five days ago which is almost one year after I decided to give it another try and so far there is no burning and no new breakouts"

Jamaican girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have acne since I was 12 years old, now Im 22 years old; I have tried every OTC product, I tried Proactive, Acne.org, natural home remedies, antibiotics, Murad, Clinique, etc, etc etc. About 2 months ago my PCP prescribed me with Tretioin Cream 0.5% and I have been using it every day since then. I have to say that this lotion is a life saver, my face looks so much better and I can finally go out without makeup, even my family and friends see the results, I'm very happy to finally find something that really works for me. The only sad thing about this cream is that it can dry up your skin very bad, and sometimes moisturizers make my acne worst, but honestly I prefer a dried face than a face full of ugly, nasty, read pimples."

Amor2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication is okay. It only works if I also use benzoyl peroxide. I have to use it religiously. I still get cystic acne occasionally. It makes my skin feel oily. It's okay. It takes many years to get rid of scarring from the acne. I have tried many drug combinations and in my experience they all work equally well or bad depending on how consistently you use the drug. Retin A is no miracle."

Acne4life June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stieva-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've been using the Stieva- a 0.25mg for 4 weeks, in the first 2 weeks my acne cleared up for about 2 days but now it's come back again and I'm left with those awful red dots and pigmentation. I recently just got the higher dosage of the cream so I'm praying it works!!!"

Courtsxo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "It dries up acne faster than any medication I have used before but you have to use cream to moisturize your skin cause it's start to peel where the acne is ! Quick and effective"

Bambi712 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been on tretinoin for about a month, and am definitely seeing results. The only negative was my skin became extremely red all over but it was still smooth. I had an appointment with my dermatologist and he told me to use sensitive face lotion (he recommended vanicream) to put over the tretinoin to help with the redness and even after a few days I'm seeing how amazing it is! All you have to do is keep your skin moisturized and this stuff works like a dream, I go to bed every night excited to wake up and see the results!"

laneykitty May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "At age 36, my acne started to come back after a stressful time. It was concentrated on my chin, and was relentless. New cysts every single day. My doctor prescribed Tretinoin cream plus an oral antibiotic (doxycycline). I was so nervous about starting because I read so much about it getting worse before it got better. But to my amazement, after just a few days I started to see drastic improvement. Not a single new pimple, the existing ones healed quickly, and scars are fading fast. I'm shocked (and extremely happy!) at how well this worked for me."

Cole23 May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I began breaking out once I started my junior year of high school it affected my self confidence a lot and I am very much into the makeup and all that but after breaking out I rarely wore any of embarrassment I went to my annual physical and the doctor prescribed the tretinoin cream, I avoided it at first but I am about two months in and my terrible acne is going away along with the peeling and dryness, new skin is under the shell and I am in love with it!!"

Zithlali (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medicine cleared up my acne and got rid of pigmentation from old cystic acne. It did make my skin dry but I moisturized and my skin evened out after it adapted. Only thing I will say is that when I stop using it I have the breakouts again."

Kdubel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Photoaging of the Skin: "This stuff is the spawn of Satan. I began using this to reduce minor sun spots and fine wrinkles. This stuff made the amazing skin I had into a housing unit for acne. It literally brings tears to my eyes the damage this has done. If it can be avoided, do not use. I would never recommend medication.... ever."

Good skin gone bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I began using this cream a few weeks ago as my dermatologist prescribed it due to my photodamaged skin I use it 2 or 3 times a week and find it fabulous. I don't like the smell though at all. While I have had no dryness or flaking but find my skin extremely sensitive and applying moisturiser often results in a mild stinging sensation. I did find that using an Omorovicza oil was good and did not burn then used a moisturiser. Wondering if others have this issue. On the whole I like the retin A and its results. I only use a cream cleanser as they are the most gentle. I did try a foam one but it also caused my skin to be aggrevated with retin A"

lorraineplace April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Photoaging of the Skin: "Yes it made my skin flake. But underneath was the most beautiful healthy skin!!!"

Mooeymoo April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had suffered for ~3 yrs with adult onset acne when I finally decided to see a dermatologist. My acne was gradually getting worse. I was prescribed oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics for the AM and Tretinoin for the PM. The first few months on this product were horrible. My epidermis literally was sloughing off. I would experience a burning sensation with its application and when applying moisturizer, but it was not so intense that I could not tolerate it. I was SO embarrassed to be in public. I googled reviews of the product every night for months just for reassurance that this was the right course of action. I totally doubted its capabilities. The encouraging reviews that stated it would be worth it kept me going. They were so right."

GA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Photoaging of the Skin: "Cannot really see a difference after 4 months"

Ansta (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been using the 0.05 percent (worked my way up from 0.025) for almost 2 years now. I started off with it because my usually very clear skin started developing small spots that just weren't going away. They weren't very visible but I have grown up with people complimenting my skin all the time and to me, the small spots felt like a blow to my self-confidence. My doctor recommended the cream to me. Within 2 weeks of usage , my skin cleared up. There was some peeling but that went away after my skin adjusted to it. Anyway, I continued with the use for almost 2 years now because my skin has never looked this beautiful and glowy as it does now."

Mlak89 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started using Tretinoin cream in August 2016 and I would like to say that it really saved my skin. I never really used to get acne but in March 2016 my skin took a turn for the worse. I started to develop acne on my chin and it moved to my cheeks. I had red bumps under the skin that would never come to a head. My dermatologist prescribed tretinoin 0.25% and my skin started to clear up within 2 months of using it. I will say that it does take time but it does get better. I still use it every night before bed. I'm working on clearing up some darker spots on my skin but overall skin is so much better."

Anonymous April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started Tretinoin 0.05% almost 2 months ago and my experience has been complicated and confusing. When I first started the cream, my skin immediately got sensitive to it, red splotches on my cheeks and chin (wasn't putting it there) and it dried them out a lot too. But after a couple brutal weeks my forehead and nose cleared up entirely and the redness/dryness calmed down and I was getting really excited. But, unfortunatley, my period came and my skin had a HORRIBLE breakout. My entire forehead was covered in bumps and beside my nose I got little bumps as well. Now, about a month later my skin is clearing up somewhat, but still I'm not sure what's in store for me. I'm hopeful for this product because I've heard many wonderful things!"

Hopeful! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I suffered from chin acne for about 5 years. The spots (I think hormonal) varied from the big under-your-skin ones to white heads and I would literally get a new one every few days. I'd tried loads of different treatments from the docs, including antibiotics, and even went for face peels but nothing helped long term. My brother recommended tretinon and I was dubious at first but decided to give it a try. Bought the gel online (but I think you can get it from your doctors too). First few weeks I saw a huge improvement in the amount of I was getting although my skin did peel a fair bit. I started moisturising on alternate days and two months later the difference is incredible! Had no new spots for a month and even my acne scars are fading!"

Vics15 April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I read all of the reviews - I don't have acne and never had. What I do have is an immune problem that creates cysts. I have been using this cream .1% for almost a week. All the bumps under my left breast are gone. I am hoping with time the burning/peeling/reddness will go away too but I am extremely happy with my results in the week I have been using it."

NHgirl603 April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am using stieva a 0.05 right now. At first I don't really trust this product because it never seems effective on me even after 8 weeks of trial. However after 3 months, my face started to be cleaned up. Scars faded away quickly after using this product. It is about year now and my forehead is absolutely clean. No more clogged pore!"

ericaismyname April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I usually don't write reviews, but I felt my experience needed to be shared to warn others. I have a very high pain tolerance, I've never had a problem with pain until I started using this 0.025% cream. I have never felt such horrible burning pain in my life. My skin looks horrible now, I have red splotches everywhere that are also dry. The only reason I started using this was because I started developing some minor breakout about once a month and they were enough to lower my confidence. But this pain is absolutely not worth it. I was supposed to continue for 5 months but I absolutely will not. I can't even lay my head on my pillow at night without my face feeling like it's on fire."

emaker (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Currently approaching the 6th week . Started off with .05 and moved down to .025. After week four I though things were clearing up and then week five I got another inflammatory breakout. I only use on forehead. Discouraging . No improvement from start and more red marks then when I started ."

Joan43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am a 18 y/o female who has never had severe acne before. But August of 2016 I broke out like crazy.Got incredibly painful cystic acne. In December I was prescribed tretinoin 0.05%. I was on both doxycycline pills and the tretinoin for a couple weeks. The first 2 weeks were pretty bad. I didn't want to touch my face from how much the acne hurt and because I was peeling so bad. But after the first couple weeks my skin started to clear up. It was nice to be able to wash my face without it hurting or feeling all the unevenness. I've been on it for about 3 months now and I get breakouts on my period but thats it. The scarring is fading away slowly but I can't get over how smooth my skin feels. Just wait it out. It really does take time to work"

Nicky78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am 16 years old and have bad acne on my face especially forehead and nose area and deep pigmentation around my lip area and extremely oily skin and my dermatologist recommended me tretin 0.025 and I've been using it for about 4 days now and also having breakouts and skin peel but as my mom has used it..its very normal for these things to happen at the starting and to keep my skin moisturised I use cetaphil moisturiser and suncros sunscreen and it keeps my skin protected and also keeps it from drying out completely.. Can't wait to see amazing results after about a couple of months"

Missi786 March 14, 2017