User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 27 reviews 10 medications

8.4
Acne 299 reviews 536 medications

7.9
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 326 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I began using this cream a few weeks ago as my dermatologist prescribed it due to my photodamaged skin I use it 2 or 3 times a week and find it fabulous. I don't like the smell though at all. While I have had no dryness or flaking but find my skin extremely sensitive and applying moisturiser often results in a mild stinging sensation. I did find that using an Omorovicza oil was good and did not burn then used a moisturiser. Wondering if others have this issue. On the whole I like the retin A and its results. I only use a cream cleanser as they are the most gentle. I did try a foam one but it also caused my skin to be aggrevated with retin A"

lorraineplace April 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Photoaging of the Skin: "Yes it made my skin flake. But underneath was the most beautiful healthy skin!!!"

Mooeymoo April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I had suffered for ~3 yrs with adult onset acne when I finally decided to see a dermatologist. My acne was gradually getting worse. I was prescribed oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics for the AM and Tretinoin for the PM. The first few months on this product were horrible. My epidermis literally was sloughing off. I would experience a burning sensation with its application and when applying moisturizer, but it was not so intense that I could not tolerate it. I was SO embarrassed to be in public. I googled reviews of the product every night for months just for reassurance that this was the right course of action. I totally doubted its capabilities. The encouraging reviews that stated it would be worth it kept me going. They were so right."

GA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Photoaging of the Skin: "Cannot really see a difference after 4 months"

Ansta (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've been using the 0.05 percent (worked my way up from 0.025) for almost 2 years now. I started off with it because my usually very clear skin started developing small spots that just weren't going away. They weren't very visible but I have grown up with people complimenting my skin all the time and to me, the small spots felt like a blow to my self-confidence. My doctor recommended the cream to me. Within 2 weeks of usage , my skin cleared up. There was some peeling but that went away after my skin adjusted to it. Anyway, I continued with the use for almost 2 years now because my skin has never looked this beautiful and glowy as it does now."

Mlak89 April 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started using Tretinoin cream in August 2016 and I would like to say that it really saved my skin. I never really used to get acne but in March 2016 my skin took a turn for the worse. I started to develop acne on my chin and it moved to my cheeks. I had red bumps under the skin that would never come to a head. My dermatologist prescribed tretinoin 0.25% and my skin started to clear up within 2 months of using it. I will say that it does take time but it does get better. I still use it every night before bed. I'm working on clearing up some darker spots on my skin but overall skin is so much better."

Anonymous April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started Tretinoin 0.05% almost 2 months ago and my experience has been complicated and confusing. When I first started the cream, my skin immediately got sensitive to it, red splotches on my cheeks and chin (wasn't putting it there) and it dried them out a lot too. But after a couple brutal weeks my forehead and nose cleared up entirely and the redness/dryness calmed down and I was getting really excited. But, unfortunatley, my period came and my skin had a HORRIBLE breakout. My entire forehead was covered in bumps and beside my nose I got little bumps as well. Now, about a month later my skin is clearing up somewhat, but still I'm not sure what's in store for me. I'm hopeful for this product because I've heard many wonderful things!"

Hopeful! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I suffered from chin acne for about 5 years. The spots (I think hormonal) varied from the big under-your-skin ones to white heads and I would literally get a new one every few days. I'd tried loads of different treatments from the docs, including antibiotics, and even went for face peels but nothing helped long term. My brother recommended tretinon and I was dubious at first but decided to give it a try. Bought the gel online (but I think you can get it from your doctors too). First few weeks I saw a huge improvement in the amount of I was getting although my skin did peel a fair bit. I started moisturising on alternate days and two months later the difference is incredible! Had no new spots for a month and even my acne scars are fading!"

Vics15 April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I read all of the reviews - I don't have acne and never had. What I do have is an immune problem that creates cysts. I have been using this cream .1% for almost a week. All the bumps under my left breast are gone. I am hoping with time the burning/peeling/reddness will go away too but I am extremely happy with my results in the week I have been using it."

NHgirl603 April 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am using stieva a 0.05 right now. At first I don't really trust this product because it never seems effective on me even after 8 weeks of trial. However after 3 months, my face started to be cleaned up. Scars faded away quickly after using this product. It is about year now and my forehead is absolutely clean. No more clogged pore!"

ericaismyname April 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I usually don't write reviews, but I felt my experience needed to be shared to warn others. I have a very high pain tolerance, I've never had a problem with pain until I started using this 0.025% cream. I have never felt such horrible burning pain in my life. My skin looks horrible now, I have red splotches everywhere that are also dry. The only reason I started using this was because I started developing some minor breakout about once a month and they were enough to lower my confidence. But this pain is absolutely not worth it. I was supposed to continue for 5 months but I absolutely will not. I can't even lay my head on my pillow at night without my face feeling like it's on fire."

emaker (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Currently approaching the 6th week . Started off with .05 and moved down to .025. After week four I though things were clearing up and then week five I got another inflammatory breakout. I only use on forehead. Discouraging . No improvement from start and more red marks then when I started ."

Joan43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am a 18 y/o female who has never had severe acne before. But August of 2016 I broke out like crazy.Got incredibly painful cystic acne. In December I was prescribed tretinoin 0.05%. I was on both doxycycline pills and the tretinoin for a couple weeks. The first 2 weeks were pretty bad. I didn't want to touch my face from how much the acne hurt and because I was peeling so bad. But after the first couple weeks my skin started to clear up. It was nice to be able to wash my face without it hurting or feeling all the unevenness. I've been on it for about 3 months now and I get breakouts on my period but thats it. The scarring is fading away slowly but I can't get over how smooth my skin feels. Just wait it out. It really does take time to work"

Nicky78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am 16 years old and have bad acne on my face especially forehead and nose area and deep pigmentation around my lip area and extremely oily skin and my dermatologist recommended me tretin 0.025 and I've been using it for about 4 days now and also having breakouts and skin peel but as my mom has used it..its very normal for these things to happen at the starting and to keep my skin moisturised I use cetaphil moisturiser and suncros sunscreen and it keeps my skin protected and also keeps it from drying out completely.. Can't wait to see amazing results after about a couple of months"

Missi786 March 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Started Trenti noun cream 0.025%..3 weeks out. Yes you will get dry and peeling, and yes possible break outs ...it's the cream working. I am 41 and have acne deeply embedded in chin. With just 3 weeks on cream...not only does the acne embedded seem to be loosening up and such I didn't realize it also does help with the tone of your skin and fine wrinkles. I love this product. Would like to try a stronger percentage next visit. Follow instructions...I use mine at night I do my cleansing as always however let you skin rest for 20 to 30 minutes as instructions recommend and apply...pea size does work. Less is more in this case. You will waste product if using too much. Be patient and results will follow. Love it."

Acne41 March 7, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've been using the 0.05% tretinoin for 4 months now. I would apply a pea-sized amount every single night 20 minutes after washing my face. I read a couple pages of the reviews down below and the people who've complained about their acne getting worse or not seeing any improvements are the ones who haven't been using the product consistently and only reported their "results" after a couple weeks of using it. YOU MUST BE PATIENT AND DEDICATED. My acne got a lot worse and fluctuated quite often during the first 3 months, but I stuck with the medication. I used to have clusters of closed comodones and whiteheads that would sometimes turn into hard painful bumps. As of now, my face is 80% clear! I just have to deal with the hyperpigmentation."

pnwgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Prescribed well given to use by face surgeon for acne and used 3 days I basically ended up with a home chemical peel meaning my face was dry flaking and shedding old skin off lol. Applied and treated and now only use when I see a pimple coming I dot it on it and it takes care of it asap without why face peeling. I found this works best for me. I only wash my face with PCA skin line face wash works great for makeup and everything buy online cost way to much at doctor or spa etc."

Leahll (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I developed severe acne in August of 2016. I had many different types and I had it everywhere. I saw a doctor in October who prescribed me minocycline (antibiotic) and gave me a referral for a dermatologist that I saw in November. I was prescribed Tretinoin (Retin-A) that I use at bedtime every night. For a while, I saw no results. My acne had even gotten worse. My skin was also very flakey so it looked terrible when I tried to cover with make up. Finally, about 3 months in, I am seeing big results. Everything has healed and is starting to fade. And I still have another month before I see my dermatologist again, which is supposed to be the "peak" of my treatment. Don't get discouraged.. this stuff takes time, but IT WORKS"

mpw124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've read so many reviews about retin-a being amazing and working almost immediately, but I have been using this gel for about 7 weeks and my skin is still so much worse than before I started using it! I broke out in deep, painful acne almost immediately and it still hasn't gone away. Breakouts all over my face and my skin is red and very very noticeably dry and peeling. Hoping it will start to work soon, I'm getting pretty discouraged that it's taking so long! :("

dancer-123 February 10, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Honestly I've used this and it's the 0.05% one I believe and I've been using it daily it's really cleared up my acne like a lot at first I had a big break out and then I used this and once I started it the first few weeks it got worse and until 2 months later of using this it's gotten so much better but the only thing is that my acne scars "post Hyperpigmentation" is taking for ever to go away.."

Dan0000 February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've used this product before and it did wonders for my skin.. My skin did start to get red and irritated so I just used it every other night or skipped a few days in between. I had a lot of scaring on my cheeks large pores and oily skin and it completely cleared my skin. I remember my cousins girlfriend asked me if I had makeup on.( My skin was flawless) The first time I tried this product it was 0.1 percent cream and now I just started using 0.05 percent gel I hope it has the same effect keeping my fingers crossed"

Becky101 January 23, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've had acne since the 5th grade. Started using it in 7th grade. Took awhile to kick in, but a mix of retin-a and other products has greatly helped. 3 years later and I rarely get any new breakouts"

teenstruggle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I never write reviews for medicine but this stuff is AMAZING. I'm in recovery from heroin and meth and I had bad skin from acne and picking. Now you can't even tell I ever used to pick at my skin. It also has done wonders for oil control. My skin is normally extremely oily. If I get a pimple it doesn't even leave a mark anymore."

Laurennnn8524 January 14, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "My first review ever. My derm prescribed tretinion cream after 1 year of low-dose oral isotretinoin. Isotretinoin obliterated big acne; worked for me-otherwise I need to take birth control pills forever. Now almost 4 months on tretinoin cream (started with 0.025,now 0.05); I look better in my 30s than my 20s. Acne scars still look bad look under certain light,but it had been frankenstien. Occasional one to two hormonal acne spots -nothing compared to the past. Dots of pigmentation fading. Routine sunscreen(day) and tretinoin cream (night). Wash with plain johnsons bar. Light peeling-use damp cloth when washing. NEVER EVER leave home without sunscreen. Wished I've done these a decade ago."

Elyr January 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "When I first used this acne medication, I broke out like crazy. In fact, it made my acne worse. After I saw it getting worse, I debated whether or not to continue with this product. However, other users agreed that this product is one of those product's that fits the saying of, "it makes the acne get worse before it gets better." After almost 3 weeks of using this product daily (once at night, I use finacea in the morning) most of the breakouts have faded and soon will be gone. I do recommend this product however, you may not experience immediate results and I am here to tell you that if your acne worsens when first taking it, STICK with it."

BrokenOut202 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017