User Reviews for Tretinoin topical

Also known as: Altinac, Altreno, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Vitinoin

Photoaging of the Skin
8.2

Acne
7.8

Summary of Tretinoin reviews 7.9 404 reviews

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "So I’ve never had acne in my life besides the 1-2 pimples I would get on my period. I started breaking out Oct 21 2018 and it was small inflamed bumps on my forehead and it got worse every day! After a week it was drastically worse and I went to derm & got tretinion & never used it because the reviews scared me bad because of the purge. After a month my skin got so bad and the acne migrate to the side of my face so my forehead & side of my face was covered in acne. The forehead was inflamed pus filled acne & my side of face was comedones that looked like sandpaper. I finally used the tretinion & within a week my skin improved. I used clindamycin every morning and tretinion every other day. With two weeks my skin looked 80% better. Now 2 months later it looks 100 % better. I never experience severe dryness/flaking. I started using everyday after 2 weeks. I never experienced a purge either. Now I left with scars but they've gotten so much lighter with this cream! Just try it! Not everyone Has a bad experience!"

Jessica (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "In the first 3-4 weeks on Retin-A, it was horrible, I had horrible acne almost everywhere on my face especially on my cheeks and it's painful. But after 1 or 2 months, I noticed a big improvement on my face. Trust me, it's worth trying."

T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I have mild acne and started using Retin A 0.025%. I've been using the cream for about three weeks now and I didn't see much change in the first two weeks. I'm seeing much more improvement now. I still have a few small bumps and blackheads, but it's not as bad as before. My skin feels significantly smoother and softer than before so I'm excited to see how much more it will improve."

Chrish (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Acne: "I have hormonal acne, am EXTREMELY oily, and very acne prone around my period. Three months ago I went on Yasmin for my moderate acne and it ruined my skin: terrible cystic pimples all over, irritated red/brown marks and even some scars. Once I stopped last month, I was desperate for a quick solution. After 1 month of tretinoin cream (apply once per night of 0.025%) my acne has cleared by 85%. I also had no initial breakout phase so don’t get scared to try because of that. If my skin sounds like yours, TRY THIS. Make sure you get the cream version though."

Hikp (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I'm in my early 20s and have been applying Retin-A gel once a night for over a year now. Before starting the gel I had what I would describe as moderate acne. During the first 6-8 months of Retin-A use I had the most severe acne of my life, all over my face. It was painful and so embarrassing to leave the house. Not to mention the horrific dry skin that would just flake off my face, no matter how much I moisturize. But I stuck with it as the dermatologist suggested, and now my acne is mostly under control. However, I would not say my acne now is any better than before I started Retin-A, and on top of that I now have deep, ugly scars on both sides of my face (not just a few... a LOT) from the severe acne. I have not had any acne scars in my life until now, and I have had moderate to heavy acne since I was 12. Now there a pit scars all across my cheeks. I have ruined my face by using Retin-A, and would have been exponentially better off if I had never used it in the first place."

N/A March 8, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I started using Retin-A after switching my birth control pills to progesterone only due to severe migraines thought to be caused by estrogen. I am now 23 and never struggled this bad with acne. Before Retin-A I had a few cystic acne spots on my chin and jawline and small blemishes on my forehead, occasionally. After using Retin-A my face got way worse. The first week it caused my face to be red, flaky and BURN. This wasn't the typical burning feeling I would get from a topical acne cream. This was a burn that would hurt when I would step outside. It made the cystic acne spots really dry, red and very sore. I called my dermatologist and they said those are typical side effects and to mix my moisturizer with the Retin-A. This helped but didn't help enough. I went another 5+ weeks dealing with peeling, flaking, red, irritated, dry, sore skin. I finally decided to stop using it. The next day my skin was feeling a lot less sore and irritated. This was not the medication for me."

JenniferM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I have been using Tretinoin cream for 24 years. After "decades" of use, I consider it a miracle cream. I started at 36. I'm now 60 and have the skin texture (porcelain-like) of a 20-something. No, I don't look 20 BUT no wrinkles, except a few tiny lines when I smile. No botox either. I give Retin-A ALL the credit. I've been using the strongest dosage (.1%) for 20+ years & no side effects from long-term use. Why isn't everyone using it? Makes no sense. My advice is save your money on high-end moisturizers, scrubs, and serums, & put your skincare dollars where it really counts- Retin-A. If you see an article downplaying the effectiveness of Retin-A for anti-aging, they're probably greedy little buggers trying to sell you another product. Seriously, NOTHING trumps this stuff!!! Use it not only on your face, but also neck, decolette, and hands. I regret I didn't start earlier on those other body parts."

Allyson February 13, 2019

For Acne: "I have been using tretinoin cream for the last 3 months now and it truly changed my life. I suffered from mild/moderate acne on my neck for around 8 months. I used the 0.01% for 2 months and then increased 0.025% for the last month. Using this cream really makes things worse before they get better but keep on going with it. You really have to wait 3 months to see results. Acne flares would come and go but now I can clearly see the difference on how the pimples form and heal. The amount and severity of acne really diminished since I started. The best advice I would give is DO NOT LOOK AT YOURSELF TOO MUCH IN THE MIRROR, make it quick! Acne will affect you more emotionally if you keep on looking at it. I would cry and be so depressed for the last 3 months. If you are using tretinoin, give yourself at least a few months before seeing improvement but it is totally worth it. I now feel that I got my life back. Have hope, tretinoin really does wonders."

Jeff February 1, 2019

For Acne: "The gel is currently stuck on my skin. It has been for days now. Now my skin is more red due to trying to get the gel off"

an (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I started using Retin-A .0025% about a two-three months ago. I’m 26 years old and have had terrible acne ever since I was a preteen. I was able to get the acne under control by drinking 72+ oz of water a day and switching to a plant based diet. However, this has left me with noticable scarring. Retin-A has helped so much with this. I read the reviews of everyone saying it dries out your skin. This is true. USE A MOISTURIZER! Moisturize day and night. This has helped me so much. I don’t even notice dry skin anymore. Also, stay hydrated. Drink lots of water."

Alexandra (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

For Acne: "I was so scared to use this product as I have read some scary reviews. But TRY IT, it has made me so confident and my skin is beyond clear. BUT put cetaphil on 10 minutes before you put the cream on, it helps with dryness. Don’t stop using tretinoin because you experience bad dryness, it makes it worth it."

Jd December 10, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: "I'm Asian and I stay in a tropical country. This product was widely introduced here when I was in my teens and I was quick to use it since it was highly recommended by the big name dermatologists of that time. I had problematic skin back then and it was recommended by my own dermatologist. I was fourteen then. Now, I'm 41 and I'm often told I look younger. Even if I'm a male professional, that still matters a lot! I could still remember temporarily stopping for less than a year cause I'd have spells of temporary severe dry skin and, once, eczema, but I jump on to it once my skin has stabilized. Of course, good skin maintenance does help and seeking professional help if something does not seem ok is best, but I would say this product works. Start while you're young (best if you can start with some professional help!)."

Male Vanity (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I am in awe of how well this product works! I’ve been on it for 1 week and my skin is so clear I don’t believe it’s possible! I’ve struggled with acne since I was 12 (I am now a 21 year old female) and I’ve tried just about everything including accutane but nothing made a big difference. My acne has ranged from moderate to severe. My biggest struggle was the texture- my face was covered in tiny bumps and clogged pores. My derm now put me on .08% Not only are the pimples gone after a week, but my whiteheads & blackheads have disappeared almost like magic. There is dryness and peeling which I’m hoping will go away over time, but I’m fine with it because it’s left me with fresh, new skin. I highly highly recommend this product!"

Csc (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I used to be prescribed epiduo, but my insurance stopped covering it and it became too expensive so they put me on retin-a. All this medication does is dry out my skin, it doesn't even reduce redness or irritation from the acne. I personally have found that witch hazel and basic night serums do more than what I'm prescribed is supposed to do. 0/10 "

J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I personally recommend you guys not to use this Retin A gel for Acne. It makes ur skin worser and worser with big red boils. I was expecting a change in the initial months but when I came to a situation were I was not able to leave out of my house due to the peeling and scars. I was forced to change the doctor. Now I'm not using Retin A gel for past one month and things came to normal."

Aan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

For Acne: "After having acne almost all my life, as a child and now as an adult. My face has always been super red and low self esteem, even with makeup on. At first I discovered lavender oil on pimples will dry them and slowly kill the bacteria. It did work wonders but pimples kept coming back and my face was uneven, red and still not beautiful. I needed more! I then got prescibed tretinion and started using it 2x a week for a few weeks. The first few weeks I was peeling and anything on my face burned, even water. I almost gave up. My face was dry. Eventually my skin face got use to it after a little over a month of light use. Now I use it every night and my face is smooth, no acne and barely any scars. I want to cry. Tears of happiness, of course. Acne is the worse for your confidence. Struggling with acne is no fun. Whatever you do, just don’t stop. Keep going. It will get better and you won’t regret it."

Yas (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: "I began using Retin A 0.01% approximately 2 months ago. I have dark spots left from what doctors claim is atopic dermatitis coupled with hyper eczemas when I was younger. I have had these marks for over 20 years. I no longer suffer from breakouts however I do have the marks (front and back thighs). I started by specifically treating them spot by spot, rather applying to the entire area. Recently my husband disclosed that he is having a "hard time" actually seeing the marks to apply the cream, they have lightened up but I am not totally clear yet... I am on my second tube. When I complete this one, my intention is to increase to the .5 strength and observe those results. Will advise probably in another 2 months time. What I can say with certainty is that is works, faster for some than others... but it works, consistency is key."

Trinigirl868 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

For Acne: "Please do not use 2x a day! An incompetent pharmacist told me to use it 2x a day and it peeled my skin and bleached me by the second day. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, use fresh aloe vera gel on the skin 2x daily to soothe the burning sensation and help the peeling process move along. I'm saying fresh because packaged, processed ones usually having unwanted additives that'll do more damage than good. Instructions for Tretinoin Use every other night. So that's once, ONLY. Use ONLY A LITTLE at a time, especially if you have darker skin, or it'll peel your skin and make you red you. Apply ONLY on dry skin. So wait till your skin is no longer damp after your shower. To T-Rex-- hopefully, your skin has healed greatly now. And you're getting over the trauma. But I'd highly recommend trying it again, and this time, very carefully, maybe start using just every second or third day and slowly build up"

Lanasaptcmplx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin: "it is really excellent for both photoaging as well as acne. Initially my acne got worse but I got a good result after 1 month of its use . Strongly recommended"

Misum (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin: "My ex girlfriend turned me onto Retin A as she has beautiful skin. I have been using .05% and mixed it with a night moisturizer and pine cone extract. The colour is a bit dark as the extract is brown. After 3 months of nightly use the results are amazing when used in this combo. My crows feet around my eyes are almost unnoticeable. The wrinkles that used to be on my forehead are gone. I don't wake up with bags under my eyes either. I'm 54 and people comment that I look years younger as my skin is radiant and glows. My miracle cream..."

James (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I am 23 years old and I suffer from severe acne. I started using retin-a 0.05 a week ago. At first my face felt moisturized, the pimples become easier to extracted. After about 2-3 days my face started burning and then peeling. I wanted to use a moisturizer along with it but anything that touched my face made it ache or burn and when I say anything, I do mean anything...water, fabric etc. I used it twice a day as advised by my derm. He told me it would get worse before it got better so I continued applying small amounts on the bigger bumps but my face hasn't healed so I have completely stopped using it."

T-Rex September 15, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "Retin A honestly changed my life! The first 6 months were awful. Hated my skin more by the day. But there is a huge silver light! Fast forward a few months and my skin is glowing, smooth, and hardly a single breakout. I'm 23 and have battled all sorts of acne through my life. That came along with some serious scarring. While there is definitely a ways to go for the scarring, its helped tremendously."

Lauren (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2018

For Acne: "I'd been struggling with my acne for 8 years and this is the only medicine that has helped me. I use it with Clindamycin topical lotion, and I use Treninoin .025% every 3 days, and .1% for the rest of the time. It completely cleared up my face. It might make your skin dry like mine but it is completely worth it - I use hydrating face masks and it takes away the dryness. It took me a few days to start seeing results, but it's different for everyone. Give it time, and make sure you're seeing your dermatologist because he or she might prescribe you a stronger Treninoin like in my case if needed."

AC (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2018

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I’m 68 and have used Tretinoin for four months. The first 2-3 weeks of use my skin did peel and burn. After putting this product on at night, I use an oil serum and a night moisturizer. It helps to soothe my skin. I love this product and I get so many compliments on my smooth and younger looking skin. If you’re getting your face waxed, don’t use this 1-2 days before. My skin burned. I use daily moisturizer and sunscreen daily over Tretinoin."

Ginna68 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Acne: "This is the best medicine for acne prone skin! You have to be patient and give it at least 4 months to start working. A little secret I learnt is to apply it 30-60mins AFTER you’ve applied moisturiser as opposed to applying it before moisturising. It will really reduce the starting up acne flair ups."

Rossntoss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2018