User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 22 reviews 10 medications

8.6
Acne 272 reviews 525 medications

7.8
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 294 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "This medicine truly is a miracle worker. I've been on it for around 8 months and there is an amazing difference. When I tell people that I used to have severe acne, they are always confused because of how near flawless my skin is now. I HIGHLY recommend using it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2016

For Acne: "I started using this cream 0.25 about 2 months ago. It's not fun you will have a huge break out more then one time. I personally experienced the right side of my face (which was the worst side acne wise) break out insane I almost stopped then it started to clear up( don't give up). Now ,my left side is doing the same and it wasn't even that bad. BUT my skin is so much less oily, pores are smaller, and things are starting to clear up. It sucks but my skin sucking for a few months and clearing up vs. sucking forever I'll stick with the cream!! Also remember to use non-comedogenic & oil free makeup/ lotions!!! I can't say much more yet but I will review in a few months on how my experience is going."

Jess Winter November 20, 2016

For Acne: "the effectiveness of tretinoin may be good, but I, diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007, got incredibly much worse over the two and a half months of treatment back in 2009. not only did my neurological symptoms worsen, but also have I been having digestive issues ever since and only now I finally am finding relieve in the fodmap diet. and by the way, when I have digestive issues, I also tend to get problems with my skin - I think your skin mirrors your digestive tract. so instead of taking potentially harmful medication, better go for a diet change - my main culprits today still are gluten and dairy products (also lactose free). best of luck and health to everybody out there. all in all I cannot endorse this 'medication' to anyone"

mspatient9 November 18, 2016

For Acne: "I have had on and off acne since I was a teenager, now 22, my acne became more hormonal on my cheeks. I had tried everything, and decided to go to my doctor for a prescription. I was prescribed Stieva A 0.01%, and I am so happy! I have only been on it for 7 days, but there has been a dramatic change already. Over the first few days I had a breakout with the acne that had been under my skin, after they cleared up, I had a bit of drying (still do) but nothing too bad! I have also noticed that my skin feels a lot less oily, which I love! Will definitely continue, and can't wait to see results after a few months! From what I have read online you are prone to breaking out at first, get through those first few days/weeks, results are worth it!"

tsss2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

For Acne: "Just started using this product maybe 3 days ago and today I started to notice the dry and peeling skin around my cheeks, mouth, nose and chin. I will start to use a moisturizer to help with the dryness. But I also notice my skin becoming very smooth in some areas. I've read that's it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, hope it doesn't take too long though. 18 yr old female :)"

miminb November 16, 2016

For Acne: "I am 23 years and I suffered with severe cyst acne for two years, until finally my dermatologist prescribed tretinoin. I had multiple pimples that would merge into big bumps on my face mainly on both my cheeks and in my jawline. At first I would apply once every other day and gradually every night. After three months there was a dramatic change in my face, all the pimples had faded. What was left was ance scars and marks, I have been using the cream for about a year now and most all my acne scars have faded. Tretinoin is my life saver, before the cream I felt like a monster; I feel like I can show my face to world without shame. I extremely suggest that if you suffer from severe acne don't stop the treatment, I believe in tretinoin."

Lady in pink November 12, 2016

For Acne: "I began trentanoin a little over a week ago. I was prescribed it by my doctor for breakouts I've got on my behind since I was 13. the first 2days after applying trentanoin to my bottom I saw immediate results. My bottom was getting dry. But the acne and red marks were fading. And I was honestly so excited because I figured that this is it! Something is finally helping! But about the 4th day my jaw and lower face were red itchy burning and dried out and my butt was on fire! It began drying out which turn into scaling with the daily use of it. Felt like my buttcrack was bleached. And it looked like it to! I didn't put it on today after my shower and the intense burning isn't bad at all. I'm going to use it every 3 days from now until my appt."

Hii (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

For Acne: "I am an RN, I NEVER write reviews but thought I would clear up some confusion. Tretinoin should be use at first every other or every 2 nd night to start with depending on how red, irritated & dry your skin is and work up to nightly application. Yes, your skin will look worse before it gets better. Stick with it. If you start the product and stop your results will be like starting all over again each time you stop, terrible. Apply only at night, use gentle cleanser or just water in the morning with a good moisturizer. I recommend ceravae it has ceramides essential in maintaining moisture. I've had acne for years I'm 47 and have used tretinoin for 2 years now. My skin has never looked better. Follow the steps, be patient you'll be glad."

Registered nurse November 6, 2016

For Acne: "My derma prescribed me 0.05% Tretinoin and I've been using it for 2 weeks and my pimples are becoming bigger. There's so many new pimples on my cheeks. Is this normal? Should I continue using it?"

Keiamiyah November 1, 2016

For Acne: "I have recently finished a 9 month course of Roaccutane one month ago and will be beginning to use this cream (0.5%) to maintain my skin and help with marks left behind from pimples. To all the people that say tretinoin breaks you out, either in pill or cream form, that is its process. You can not use it for 1 week, see pimples and stop, it is not making your skin worse, it is getting anything under neath the surface of your face out to eventually clear it, that is what you want. I had an initial breakout for 3 months, everything pimple and gunk in my face came to the surface and eventually all went away. You need to have patience with your skin. It works, just not over night."

L4M October 30, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 28 years old and I had pretty good until up until I took hormonal birth control 3 years ago and I am still trying to repair the damage to my skin. I've been using a combination of benzoyl peroxide .25% cream in the morning on cleansed skin and trentinoin .05% cream (not the gel) before bed. My skin is very fair and sensitive but it's finally looking better after 2 weeks. So far I've experienced mild purging by the chin and cheek but they are not the huge cystic pimples I used to get before. I think the peeling and redness is worth clear skin in the end."

rma8999 October 25, 2016

For Acne: "I used the full Obaji package for four months and gradually stopped using their sunblock and skin correction lotions because the breakouts where 100x worse than before I started the treatment for mild acne. I did keep telling myself that my skin would have more breakouts and then improve but 4 months was a long time to wait. Now I only use the tretinoin cream and it had been great. I only have one or two spots max but overall my skin is clear. I use the oil free moisturiser by murad to protect my skin against UV light and I'm really pleased with the results."

36yr old female (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

For Acne: "I tried this product for about a week and I had a terrible terrible breakout. I always hear great stories, however I could not get pass the purge. I discontinued after 1 week."

Happily married October 19, 2016

For Acne: "I wanted to share my experience using retin a as mine was very positive. When I was 30 I was so tired of my adult acne that I've had since my teens so I have had acne for years. I was so sick of feeling bad about my skin so I ordered some retin a in the gel form 0.5% and yes, I purged but that didn't last long. All the red spots and brown spots from sun damage had done a number on my skin. Finally after the second week I could see a true difference. I stuck with using this religiously for 2 years until I could handle my skin alone with peels and Aha's. Now at 37 I have gone back to it for spot treatment of some pimples I get mostly hormonal but now I use it more to keep my skin looking young. its worth it if you stick with it."

MsPsylocke (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2016

For Acne: "Dear All, I started using tretinoin 0.25 with a face cleanser and Heliocare 90spf sunblock, although I didnt have acne after the use it got started . like my face is ruined. full of cyst acnes . please advise"

insane1010 October 17, 2016

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I heard alot of people trying this for acne & breaking out, so I was apprehensive. I don't have acne anymore...I used to have perioral dermatitus (acne around the mouth) which I got anibiotics for and its now gone, but my problem is aging and damage to my skin for the sun because I used department store serums (Lancome Primordial Intense) outside, which gave me a precancerous mole and a red spot and faintlydark patch on my cheek. After just two nights of use my skin looks noticably better. It is not greasy, it feels more like putting hand sanitiser on your face, like theres alcohol in the gel, it drys quick and can make your skin dry so use like sunflower, rose hip, or a natural non pore clogging oil to clean and moisterise ur face."

Tammy13 October 9, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: "Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels. My skin became more youthful, without pigmentation, brighter, wrinkles and fine lines became less visible and its only within first 2 months of usage, i'm pretty impressed! Thanks okdermo.com! Will use it all my life, would recommend it to everyone who have signs of aging, wrinkles, color fading, discoloration etc problems. Angela"

AngelaSymon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

For Acne: "I am a 29 year old female and have had acne since my early teen years.I have been using tretinoin 0.05 % cream for 6 weeks now and my skin has only gotten worse. I have way more blackheads in places I never had before, my skin gets disgustingly oily but is peeling all at the same time, and I am developing more cysts than I have ever had. I am more self-conscious of my skin now than I have ever been in the past. I see my dermatologist 2 weeks and am hoping there's another option."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

For Acne: "Hi everyone, I have had oily skin and acne since I hit puberty at 9 years old. I am now 39. It doesn't help that I also have keratosis pilaris, resulting in clogged pores on my face, arms, chest, and back. I am able to keep my body skin pretty smooth by using a 10% glycolic acid lotion daily. The best for my face is Retin A Micro .1%. I see a lot of reviews here where people are ready to give up after a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months. I'm sorry to tell you, but you will NOT see maximum results with Retin A until about 7-10 months of regular use. You will go to hell and back several times during the process, but it's worth it. Suck it up, buttercup. You will also look much younger than your actual age. Bonus."

NerdBurglar September 29, 2016

For Acne: "I've never written a review before but I felt like I needed to do this.I started using Tretinoin .1% a week ago and it was really hard.The second day using the cream I had a massive breakout, like lots of pimples on my cheeks and lower cheeks.It was really hard and frustrating, make-up was not able to cover that mess. It went like that for about a week, I read about the "purging" but I was not prepared for this. I am in the middle of my second week and breakouts stopped two days ago, but my skin has transformed! My face is literally glowing and scars of the breakout of last week are here but no new pimples. I didn't have dryness in my skin since I was using twice a day Clinique's Moisture surge. Been using blue led light too. Be Patient!!"

Marie234 September 27, 2016

For Acne: "28 year old female. Suffer from cystic acne. I get big painful cysts under the skin. Around my jaw line and all over my chin. I would get two or three in the same place at a time. Also my skin is very oily. Most likely caused by hormones and stress. Absolutely no over the counter medicines worked. I have been using tretin. 025 GEL not cream for about 2 weeks now and have not had 1 new cyst or pimple. My skin is peeling a little but it looks so much better already. I highly recommend the gel for cystic acne with super oily skin like mine. Also my skin is not sensitive so I use it every night with no problems."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

For Acne: "I have had acne since puberty. I haven't ever given much thought to going to a derm because acne is just "a part of growing up". Well 23 now and I didn't really see it leaving my face anytime soon. Doc gave me 0.025% once a day at night. I use a simple CeraVe foaming wash 2x daily (once in morning, once in evening). At night after I wash my face I use a CeraVe night moisturizer and I wait about 20-30 mins for my face to totally dry before applying my "pea sized" amount of trentinoin to my entire face. I would not describe my breakouts as bad. Probably a 6. But it's always there. It's never left me. I am on my second week so far. No noticeable changes so far. Nothing positive or negative to report. I will keep updating."

an0n__ (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

For Acne: "I've struggled with acne for about 4 years, and I've been using retin a for about 4 months now. At first I was unsure about it because I have such sensitive skin and at it would burn my face and my skin would peel. But my advice to people that have acne and scars is to start with the 0.05% you may not see the results at first but don't give up! I promise it works. I recently asked my doctor to give me a stronger dose 0.1% and although it burns my face a little I wake up in the morning and my scars looking lighter and my face feels smoother. I look back at my before pictures and already see a really big difference. Highly recommend!"

Anonymous September 16, 2016

For Acne: "To avoid serious dryness and peeling I started off using this product (.025) every 3rd day for the first two weeks. I have oily skin prone to blackheads and medium sized pimples in my T zone. I never experienced the "purge", however, my skin certainly didn't get better for around 4 months and after adding clindamyacin. Now I rarely experience breakouts (except occasional hormonal) and have an overall better complexion. I would suggest washing your face before with cetaphil because it is so gentle and moisturizing every morning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

For Acne: "I used tretin 0.025% every night for 30 mins for almost 8 weeks.i hardly had 5-6 pimples on my cheeks n a few brown spots but then the cream made me have severe breakout and infection which made my cheek swell with the abscess. I consulted another doctor and was advised to stop the product and I am on oral antibiotic for the infection. My cheeks r normal. My pimples are healing on their own .Its been a week I left the cream and my skin shows great improvement.no new breakouts at all.please don't struggle with the cream n keep pushing through a point where you have totally ruined your skin n can do nothing about it."

Shivanikhadabadi (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016