User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin 24 reviews 10 medications

8.6
Acne 292 reviews 536 medications

7.8
Summary of Tretinoin reviews 316 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Tretinoin

For Acne: "I usually don't write reviews, but I felt my experience needed to be shared to warn others. I have a very high pain tolerance, I've never had a problem with pain until I started using this 0.025% cream. I have never felt such horrible burning pain in my life. My skin looks horrible now, I have red splotches everywhere that are also dry. The only reason I started using this was because I started developing some minor breakout about once a month and they were enough to lower my confidence. But this pain is absolutely not worth it. I was supposed to continue for 5 months but I absolutely will not. I can't even lay my head on my pillow at night without my face feeling like it's on fire."

emaker (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Currently approaching the 6th week . Started off with .05 and moved down to .025. After week four I though things were clearing up and then week five I got another inflammatory breakout. I only use on forehead. Discouraging . No improvement from start and more red marks then when I started ."

Joan43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am a 18 y/o female who has never had severe acne before. But August of 2016 I broke out like crazy.Got incredibly painful cystic acne. In December I was prescribed tretinoin 0.05%. I was on both doxycycline pills and the tretinoin for a couple weeks. The first 2 weeks were pretty bad. I didn't want to touch my face from how much the acne hurt and because I was peeling so bad. But after the first couple weeks my skin started to clear up. It was nice to be able to wash my face without it hurting or feeling all the unevenness. I've been on it for about 3 months now and I get breakouts on my period but thats it. The scarring is fading away slowly but I can't get over how smooth my skin feels. Just wait it out. It really does take time to work"

Nicky78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am 16 years old and have bad acne on my face especially forehead and nose area and deep pigmentation around my lip area and extremely oily skin and my dermatologist recommended me tretin 0.025 and I've been using it for about 4 days now and also having breakouts and skin peel but as my mom has used it..its very normal for these things to happen at the starting and to keep my skin moisturised I use cetaphil moisturiser and suncros sunscreen and it keeps my skin protected and also keeps it from drying out completely.. Can't wait to see amazing results after about a couple of months"

Missi786 March 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Started Trenti noun cream 0.025%..3 weeks out. Yes you will get dry and peeling, and yes possible break outs ...it's the cream working. I am 41 and have acne deeply embedded in chin. With just 3 weeks on cream...not only does the acne embedded seem to be loosening up and such I didn't realize it also does help with the tone of your skin and fine wrinkles. I love this product. Would like to try a stronger percentage next visit. Follow instructions...I use mine at night I do my cleansing as always however let you skin rest for 20 to 30 minutes as instructions recommend and apply...pea size does work. Less is more in this case. You will waste product if using too much. Be patient and results will follow. Love it."

Acne41 March 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've been using the 0.05% tretinoin for 4 months now. I would apply a pea-sized amount every single night 20 minutes after washing my face. I read a couple pages of the reviews down below and the people who've complained about their acne getting worse or not seeing any improvements are the ones who haven't been using the product consistently and only reported their "results" after a couple weeks of using it. YOU MUST BE PATIENT AND DEDICATED. My acne got a lot worse and fluctuated quite often during the first 3 months, but I stuck with the medication. I used to have clusters of closed comodones and whiteheads that would sometimes turn into hard painful bumps. As of now, my face is 80% clear! I just have to deal with the hyperpigmentation."

pnwgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Prescribed well given to use by face surgeon for acne and used 3 days I basically ended up with a home chemical peel meaning my face was dry flaking and shedding old skin off lol. Applied and treated and now only use when I see a pimple coming I dot it on it and it takes care of it asap without why face peeling. I found this works best for me. I only wash my face with PCA skin line face wash works great for makeup and everything buy online cost way to much at doctor or spa etc."

Leahll (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I developed severe acne in August of 2016. I had many different types and I had it everywhere. I saw a doctor in October who prescribed me minocycline (antibiotic) and gave me a referral for a dermatologist that I saw in November. I was prescribed Tretinoin (Retin-A) that I use at bedtime every night. For a while, I saw no results. My acne had even gotten worse. My skin was also very flakey so it looked terrible when I tried to cover with make up. Finally, about 3 months in, I am seeing big results. Everything has healed and is starting to fade. And I still have another month before I see my dermatologist again, which is supposed to be the "peak" of my treatment. Don't get discouraged.. this stuff takes time, but IT WORKS"

mpw124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've read so many reviews about retin-a being amazing and working almost immediately, but I have been using this gel for about 7 weeks and my skin is still so much worse than before I started using it! I broke out in deep, painful acne almost immediately and it still hasn't gone away. Breakouts all over my face and my skin is red and very very noticeably dry and peeling. Hoping it will start to work soon, I'm getting pretty discouraged that it's taking so long! :("

dancer-123 February 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Honestly I've used this and it's the 0.05% one I believe and I've been using it daily it's really cleared up my acne like a lot at first I had a big break out and then I used this and once I started it the first few weeks it got worse and until 2 months later of using this it's gotten so much better but the only thing is that my acne scars "post Hyperpigmentation" is taking for ever to go away.."

Dan0000 February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've used this product before and it did wonders for my skin.. My skin did start to get red and irritated so I just used it every other night or skipped a few days in between. I had a lot of scaring on my cheeks large pores and oily skin and it completely cleared my skin. I remember my cousins girlfriend asked me if I had makeup on.( My skin was flawless) The first time I tried this product it was 0.1 percent cream and now I just started using 0.05 percent gel I hope it has the same effect keeping my fingers crossed"

Becky101 January 23, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've had acne since the 5th grade. Started using it in 7th grade. Took awhile to kick in, but a mix of retin-a and other products has greatly helped. 3 years later and I rarely get any new breakouts"

teenstruggle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I never write reviews for medicine but this stuff is AMAZING. I'm in recovery from heroin and meth and I had bad skin from acne and picking. Now you can't even tell I ever used to pick at my skin. It also has done wonders for oil control. My skin is normally extremely oily. If I get a pimple it doesn't even leave a mark anymore."

Laurennnn8524 January 14, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "My first review ever. My derm prescribed tretinion cream after 1 year of low-dose oral isotretinoin. Isotretinoin obliterated big acne; worked for me-otherwise I need to take birth control pills forever. Now almost 4 months on tretinoin cream (started with 0.025,now 0.05); I look better in my 30s than my 20s. Acne scars still look bad look under certain light,but it had been frankenstien. Occasional one to two hormonal acne spots -nothing compared to the past. Dots of pigmentation fading. Routine sunscreen(day) and tretinoin cream (night). Wash with plain johnsons bar. Light peeling-use damp cloth when washing. NEVER EVER leave home without sunscreen. Wished I've done these a decade ago."

Elyr January 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "When I first used this acne medication, I broke out like crazy. In fact, it made my acne worse. After I saw it getting worse, I debated whether or not to continue with this product. However, other users agreed that this product is one of those product's that fits the saying of, "it makes the acne get worse before it gets better." After almost 3 weeks of using this product daily (once at night, I use finacea in the morning) most of the breakouts have faded and soon will be gone. I do recommend this product however, you may not experience immediate results and I am here to tell you that if your acne worsens when first taking it, STICK with it."

BrokenOut202 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Acne, acne scars, blemishes, etc. I've been suffering from acne since I was 16 years old. I used to put on cheap products from Walgreens or CVS. When I turned 22 my acne became worse. I suffered from cystic acne. I went to a dermatologist for low income students and she prescribed Tretinoin (she started with a lower percentage) My acne disappeared in 8 months. I've been using this Tretinoin for 11 months (0.05) and I don't have to wear make up anymore! I also alternate and use Proactiv but ONLY the I wash my face with a cheaper brand from CVS that has Benzoyl Perixide 10% Then, the pore targetting treatment. Last step (moisturize) Moisturize before and after the medication for better results. Be patient :) Don't touch your face!"

MadelineC19 January 5, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "What in the world is in this ? Holy water ? Godlike energy ? Santa's magical christmas stardust ? I don't know but it completely obliterated my acne; honestly "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Photoaging of the Skin: "My doctor prescribed this tretinoin cream for me. I don't use it on a regular basis like I should, but I can tell you that even though I don't use it as often, my skin looks younger. I still have acne and I'm trying to get in the habit of using the cream more often, but my acne has diminished some. Overall, I like the product."

Briana R December 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I suffered from adult cystic acne well into my 40s. I did not have many of them but when I did develop them, they were large, under the skin and very painful. I have been on .025% Tretinoin for a few years now and I have little to no breakouts now."

Harls December 29, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I take the .01% and I'm so glad I can. I still have to take spironolactone for a continuing problem with cystic acne but the combination is ideal. I also love what it's done for a few little brown spots. I've been on it maybe 3 years and I just didn't think it was going to sand down some of my little raised acne scar/specks but I can finally feel the results now. Growing up I felt like a monster with my acne and, eventually, I was fortunate enough to be prescribed Accutane, not once, but twice (thank god)! I had the worst and the lowest self esteem imaginable. Yeah Accutane (big time yeah)!! Yeah Retin A / Tretinoin! It will never erase my scars, I need a real sanding down for that, but it has raised my self esteem."

cauberry (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "Well, it's all hasn't been fun and games when it comes to my acne. I'm a light skinned African dude of 25 and I have had acne since I was 17. Pretty long time huh? I know. It all started as some pretty rash that got me obsessed. I've used pretty much everything except surgery; and I never went to a physician for it. All over-the-counter topical application and I touch my face pretty much all the time. It's not easy when a handsome guy gets his confidence slowly stripped everyday for almost a decade. Lol It got worse this past month (like my pimples joined up x-men and became mutants!) and I was forced to see a physician. Retin-A to the rescue. Retin-A and Doxycycline capsules. Just 2 weeks in and I can tell I've found the cure for acne!"

Nikolai (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I was prescribed for dark spots on my face. Although the dark spots are stillthere they have not grown or intensified. Also I have less acne and whiteheads"

Annieslaydonpenn December 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "This medicine truly is a miracle worker. I've been on it for around 8 months and there is an amazing difference. When I tell people that I used to have severe acne, they are always confused because of how near flawless my skin is now. I HIGHLY recommend using it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started using this cream 0.25 about 2 months ago. It's not fun you will have a huge break out more then one time. I personally experienced the right side of my face (which was the worst side acne wise) break out insane I almost stopped then it started to clear up( don't give up). Now ,my left side is doing the same and it wasn't even that bad. BUT my skin is so much less oily, pores are smaller, and things are starting to clear up. It sucks but my skin sucking for a few months and clearing up vs. sucking forever I'll stick with the cream!! Also remember to use non-comedogenic & oil free makeup/ lotions!!! I can't say much more yet but I will review in a few months on how my experience is going."

Jess Winter November 20, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "the effectiveness of tretinoin may be good, but I, diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007, got incredibly much worse over the two and a half months of treatment back in 2009. not only did my neurological symptoms worsen, but also have I been having digestive issues ever since and only now I finally am finding relieve in the fodmap diet. and by the way, when I have digestive issues, I also tend to get problems with my skin - I think your skin mirrors your digestive tract. so instead of taking potentially harmful medication, better go for a diet change - my main culprits today still are gluten and dairy products (also lactose free). best of luck and health to everybody out there. all in all I cannot endorse this 'medication' to anyone"

mspatient9 November 18, 2016