User Reviews for Tretinoin topical

Also known as: Retin-A, Altreno, Retin A Micro, Renova, Atralin, Avita, Refissa, Altinac, Obagi Retin-A and Renova

Tretinoin topical has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 474 ratings on Drugs.com. 72% of those users who reviewed Tretinoin topical reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Acne
7.7
Photoaging of the Skin
8.2
Summary of Tretinoin topical reviews 7.7 474 reviews

Reviews for Tretinoin topical

tret22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2021

For Acne: “hi everyone, I just wanted to write a review in hopes that it motivates people to continue their tretinoin journeys. I began tretinoin over 18 weeks ago. I purged for the entirety of those 18 weeks. I had painful, under-the-surface cysts and my face was red and inflamed. I stuck to my simple skincare routine and now, at 18 weeks, my skin is beginning to heal. Don't give up hope! Keep going - it absolutely gets better. Also, I found that salicylic acid was causing my inflammation and dryness. After I stopped using a SA face wash, my skin began to heal at a faster rate.”

My skin hates me... March 25, 2021

For Acne: “After just one week off of oral Isotretinoin (Epuris) my skin started getting small tiny bumps along the hairline and then gradually started moving to the rest of my face. At two months post isotretinoin I was terrified of my before skin returning and asked my derm for help. He gave me Aklief, 0.025% Tretinoin... because of my age (37) he said it works for wrinkles too. How excited I was to start! I have read every single blog and post there is on how to correctly apply tretinoin. I was given one of the lowest doses and after 5 months my skin is dry, red, flaky and the worst part... my acne is as bad as before my 8 months of oral isotretinoin. I’ve never felt so defeated. I would take red, dry, flaking, painful skin - if I had no acne -but it’s continuing to get worse and I’ve given it WELL over the 6-12 week trial. I am done. Tretinoin is not for me. I will be begging my derm to put me back on oral isotretinoin, the magic pill.”

N. March 22, 2021

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “I've been using retin A for months and saw no true results. I won't recommend this.”

ryan April 29, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “prior to using this cream, I checked reviews. I saw a lot of negatives; people complaining about a face-purge. I was highly discouraged. After a while, I said screw it. I’ve been struggling with acne for a long time now. I’m a 22 year old african male, been struggling with acne since I was 11; that is half of my life. I ignored the negatives and decided to give it a shot. Week 1 and 2 were calm. The purge started on week 3 and it was horrible! I couldn’t leave my house, my face was a mess. I was nearly compelled to quit but I persevered. The purge lasted through till week 8. On the 9th week, I noticed little less break outs. I’m on my 11 week now and man! my face is as smooth as a baby’s. I honestly can’t believe this. This is the best my face has been in more than a decade. I'd highly recommend. The purge period is absolutely hectic and discouraging but do not give up. stick to it I promise. advice: Take pictures to track your progress”

Allyson February 13, 2019

For Photoaging of the Skin: “I have been using Tretinoin cream for 24 years. After "decades" of use, I consider it a miracle cream. I started at 36. I'm now 60 and have the skin texture (porcelain-like) of a 20-something. No, I don't look 20 BUT no wrinkles, except a few tiny lines when I smile. No botox either. I give Retin-A ALL the credit. I've been using the strongest dosage (.1%) for 20+ years & no side effects from long-term use. Why isn't everyone using it? Makes no sense. My advice is save your money on high-end moisturizers, scrubs, and serums, & put your skincare dollars where it really counts- Retin-A. If you see an article downplaying the effectiveness of Retin-A for anti-aging, they're probably greedy little buggers trying to sell you another product. Seriously, NOTHING trumps this stuff!!! Use it not only on your face, but also neck, decolette, and hands. I regret I didn't start earlier on those other body parts.”

Cali lady June 23, 2015

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “I wanted to take the time to write a review in the hopes to give at least one person the self confidence boost they need to keep going with Retin-A. I've been waiting for the day I get to write my own review. I officially started using Retin- A .25 just under 4 months ago today. My first day was 3 weeks before my birthday. I remember contacting my Dermo in advance with a million questions and mostly the fear of going through THE PURGE during this busy time filled with celebrations, events, etc. I thankfully, made the gamble and started! I decided it was always be... I'll start next week, next month. Let's be real, when is there ever a good time for acne?! I can only describe the last 4 months as a roller coaster. There will be good days. There will be days you hide inside. At some points I thought I was done purging, then it would come back. IT TAKES TIME. Painful cysts too, that do not go away. I would rather have 20 white head pimples all over than 1 deep painful cyst on my face! It was the most challenging thing I've gone through. It will test your patience. To the point of tears, and why me's! At one point I scheduled an emergency Dermo appt to receive Cortizon injections on 3 cysts that were almost the size of dimes!! I couldn't take it anymore. This was 2.5 months. He sat me down and said it takes 3-4 months for results to be reached and you will hate your dermo for that time and gave me the push to continue to go forward. Here's the good news! I am at my 4 month mark, and I have never been more happy. I haven't had a break out in 1.5 weeks. I don't know the last time I've been able to say that. I can take on the CALI summer and not feel like I'm hiding. My biggest advise is be strong! Tell yourself everyday, it's only 4 months of the rest of your life. Get past the 4-5 month mark and it will all be worth it! The past will be a blur! Good luck and you can do it!”

Alexis Moore November 20, 2014

For Acne: “My experience with Tretinoin Cream, USP .025%, has been awesome! I'm a 16 year old who started, from breaking out every day, black spots on my face everywhere, extreme cystic acne, I felt terrible. I remember looking in the mirror and feeling that I was beautiful BUT if only my acne could go away, there was always a but. In fact, I even cried at one point at how horrible my skin was, it seemed as if everyone noticed. I remember one girl even referring to me as "spotted bump face," in which she then proceeded to laugh, making a joke off of my insecurities. NOW 3 months later my face is absolutely smooth, I rarely ever wear make up, my spots are barely visible, and the acne? IT'S GONE! It's like a miracle. I recommend anyone to stick it out!”

AG12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2013

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “I'm using Retin-a 0.025 gel version of tretinoin. My review is more of an encouragement rather than full review. My full review will happen after at least a year of usage. Current usage - 2 months. So, you see, within 2 months of usage already deserves a 8 score rating from me. I could easily give it higher but I rather wait for my full review. Now, I have read many of what the users said here and on the Internet. It will be best for new users not to pay too much attention of users below 2 months of usage. Because all you hear is pain, breakout, worries and eventually the key way they use = give up. It's your choice. But please read those who have actually used tretinoin for at least 6 months. ”

98hondadawn · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2014

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “Been using Retin A for over 10 years, for photo aging and acne. I'm 51 and routinely am told I look like my 33 yo daughter & I could be sisters. I'm also a sunscreen fanatic & I believe that's the key to maintaining your results. This product truly does work. You have to be patient and practice overall good skin care - but this works.”

M.M · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “33 yo/female. Had acne since I was 13 yo. Was diagnosed with PCOS. Took birth control for about 15 years also Spironolactone. My acne is very persistent and mainly comedonal especially jaw line/cheeks/upper neck. I stopped birth control and was tired of Spironolactone as taken alone it didn't do much for me. Went on Accutane which was a horrible experience to clear my acne for it to come back just 6 months later. Have been using Retin A 0.01% for 2.5 months and I can see a lot of improvement. My skin is still purging as it's really congested but I can see it's improving gradually and clearing up. It was a real mess in the first 6 weeks. I'm getting less painful acne around my jaw area now and my skin is much softer, the scars are also fading. Will continue the treatment for the rest of my life I believe. Highly recommend it to anyone with hormonal acne who doesn't want to take medication.”

leonorsousa August 7, 2009

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “I've been using Retin-A for two months. I was concerned about some mild signs of photoaging of the skin (surface wrinkles, uneven texture), blackheads on my nose and enlarged pores. Retin-A has done wonders for my skin: it's texture is more even and although the blackheads and enlarged pores aren't completely gone, they've improved considerably. If you have these concerns, I definitely recommend using this product - but you have to be patient.”

Nii · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “Okay, been on Retin A since early November. Prescribed by my primary care physician prior to seeing a dermatologist. When I first began, I started using the gel two times a week. Making sure to always wash off in the morning and use sunscreen throughout the day. I was afraid of the purging period which THANK GOD, I never had. It almost felt like the medication wasn't working. I had no burning or stinging sensations just minor peeling which was not bad AT ALL. This could be because I am on the lowest dosage (0.025). I upped my usage to three times a week and keep using despite "feeling like anything was working". Fast forward to today, three months later and my skin is sooooooo smooth. I still have fading dark marks but they are significantly lighter. I have ZERO ACTIVE ACNE bumps. Smooth skin and very shiny. I am a 25 y/o African American female and THIS PRODUCT IS GREAT. Patience is KEY!!!!!”

AngelaSymon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels. My skin became more youthful, without pigmentation, brighter, wrinkles and fine lines became less visible and its only within first 2 months of usage, i'm pretty impressed! Thanks okdermo.com! Will use it all my life, would recommend it to everyone who have signs of aging, wrinkles, color fading, discoloration etc problems. Angela”

Hormone monster · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2014

For Acne: “Tretinoin 0.025 helped me tremendously. 1 hour after cleansing I put it on, no peeling. Took 2 months to see results. First tone of the skin improved, then smaller and smaller break outs. I had like lumps under my skin before. If skin dries too much I use all natural products like shea butter to moisturise. Works. Now after 6 months of bi-daily use NO ACNE!!!! Whohoo! Did not think a cream would work for a severe acne I had. I don't even need the stronger version 0.05%. Skin is plump and not dry. Scars begin to fade, too.”

Annylisa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2020

For Photoaging of the Skin: “I have almost a year since I am using Retin A and let me tell you that at the beginning its rough. When you just begin using it, start with 0.025%, and once in 3 days, after 2-3 weeks do it once in 2 days, and always watch your skin, how does it feel. If it's ok, after about a month you can use it every night. If you will peel like a snake - YES, if it might feel like burning or sensitive -YES. But don't give up, I promise it is worth it. It's not going to pay off instantly, but in time you will see an improvement of your skin. Remember to use SPF on your face everyday, because Retin-A peels off the first layer of your skin, and it's very delicate. Put your moisturizer at night, after applying Retin A, and in the morning before SPF. After about 7 months I switched to 0.05. My skin is glowing. And everyone thinks I'm 21, but I'm 31. I swear its WORTH IT.”

Bnoon · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “When I was 5 weeks into using this topical Retin-A I headed to the internet to figure out why my acne was 5 times WORSE than when I started it. I would honesty just look in the mirror and cry, I picked at all my pimples and it made it even worse. The purge is real but If you can make it past it I promise it’s worth it. Do some research on why the purge happens. I am 10 weeks in and all that I have on my face is scaring due to the picking which will go away over time and with the help of other topicals. My advice is to stick with it, do not pick and trust the process!”

Anonymous May 13, 2012

Atralin (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “I began using this as an anti-aging method along with Obagi Hydroquinone for dark spots. At first I used it every night but almost immediately my skin dried up. It was embarrassing and felt uncomfortable. I went down to using it every two nights (so Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday for example) and within two days my skin returned almost to normal. There is still a tiny bit of flaking, a healthy amount. And I have to say the skin that's left looks amazing-so smooth. Other than the dark shadows under my eyes, for the first time in a long time I feel I could go with little to no makeup. This product works fast.”

Liv August 1, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “Retin A..wow is all I can say. This product is amazing. I had small stubborn little bumps (clogged pores) and just overall comedonal acne. Retin A has completely cleared my skin and made it look even better than it did before I had acne. My skin so smooth and it just continues to boost my skin confidence. I've been on Retin A for about a year and hse “Retin A micro pump gel 0.06%”. I did purge a lot and had SLIGHT dryness/irration in the beginning but I didn’t mind it because I WANTED to get rid of the small bumps that were clogged pores. MY TOP ADVICE about this product is using it consistently! This product works slowly (but effectively) and will take some time to produce the wonderful results. Also, I still get a pimple occasionally but no where near what I had. The pimple will usually come and go quickly with this product. I use a mosturizer and a good SPF sunscreen. This is the BEST so stick it out during the purging phase because it is WORTH IT.”

Pear October 11, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “This medication Retin A has been a life changer for me. I was at an appointment and I was complaining about hormonal acne flares before my period. My doctor started telling me about what Retin-A had done for her hormonal acne. She has flawless skin! She said on top of clearing up those breakouts it would help with the aging I was starting to see. I've been on this for two months now and wow the results are amazing! I have zero breakouts and the fine lines and pores are shrinking. I will leave the house without makeup now. My complexion is glowing and even! My uneven skin and breakouts were a big source of embarrassment for me. I did have peeling but this was expected. I also had worsening of acne for a few weeks as my skin purged what was already building in the pores. I pushed through and I am so glad I did. When the dryness flares I skip a night of Retin-A and use a heavier moisturizer. I also use an oil free moisturizer every morning.”

DDF · Taken for 10 years or more April 30, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “I am a 72 year old woman who has been using Retin-A for thirty-four years. I started using it because I had adult acne at the same time my teenage son had acne. I routinely am mistaken for being twenty years younger than I am. I have very few wrinkles. My skin still has dry patches occasionally but they are short lived. I have tried to get several people to use it but they always get discouraged with the redness and peeling in the beginning. This phase does not last forever. Please continue to use it, you will never be sorry.”

DeeBarber August 18, 2015

For Photoaging of the Skin: “Not only is this medication great for anti aging purposes but is also great for a condition called milia. Not many ppl know of it but it's a lot different then acne. It's trapped dead skin cells under your skin that forms what looks like a white head only you can't pop it. To get rid of them you need to exfoliate a lot. This cream just speeds up the process. So not only do you get rid of pesky little white bumps on your face but you get the anti aging benefits too. And yes it does take a while for your skin to adjust. Dryness and peeling and flaking occur for a while after you start treatment but if you truly want it to work you have to be patient and let the cream do its job..”

carlyyyyy · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2014

For Acne: “I had cysitic acne that would pop up mainly around my chin and sometimes my cheeks. I've been to many dermatologists and have tried so many solutions. I've tried Proactiv, Acayna cream, and antibiotics, but nothing seemed to show a significant improvement. Once I was prescribed Tretinoin Cream, 0.025%, I was truly skeptical as to how much it would improve my scarring and acne. Now, after about only 3 and a half weeks of using it, I couldn't be more pleased. My scars have significantly faded, I have 0 pimples. My face looks amazing. I can literally walk around without makeup. I don't remember the last time I could do that! I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone who has bad scarring, or acne.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “Before I started using Retin A ,my face looked dull and tired . I had very sensitive skin and no cream would help my face look plump and moisturized. I had also some wrinkles becoming more prominent . I felt old and ugly although I am still young (turning 29) . After I started using it ,my face was red and sensitive for about 2 weeks, but now my skin adapted to it and it does not hurt anymore. I use a low strength for now but to get to the point. I look awesome and people are shocked when they hear I am 29 . My pores look are almost gone, my skin elasticity had improved a lot, my face looks plump and hydrated and most of all. It helped with my festoons a lot (I had severe festoons under my eyes.) This is a cream to die for and I totally recommend it. There's nothing better out there in my opinion ”

EPPNYC March 9, 2014

For Acne: “I started breaking out when I got to college. I decided to address the problem before it got worse, even though the acne wasn't that bad. She gave me a prescription for Tretinoin X cream. I put it on every night. The first week, I felt like someone had rubbed sandpaper across my face. It was AWFUL. My skin was red and irritated and it hurt like hell even when nothing was touching it. The next week, the pain and irritation slowly subsided. The following, my face erupted in pimples. That lasted into the fourth week. It was worse than it had ever been. After that, my face magically cleared up. It was amazing. Except for a very few minor spots, my skin is nearly flawless. The beginning sucks, but STICK IT OUT. You won't regret it.”

Masha7 November 10, 2014

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: “Amazing! It was very difficult at first -- had a lot of peeling, dryness, and breakouts but I stuck it out. After about 4-5 months I starting seeing a major improvement and now my skin is very smooth. Not only does it take care of acne but it smooths out fine lines. Great product, highly recommend. Try to stay patient through the first couple of months.”

Elle May 14, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: “If you stick it out and are patient with this - the results are incredible. One piece of advice is moisturize!!! A LOT!! The gel is way better than the cream imo. The gel burns so bad though whereas the cream didn't. I've been using retin-a since February and it's May now and I have the worst purge I've ever had but now my skin is flawless. Stick it out. Amazing for tightening pores, clearing acne, and just gives your skin an overall healthy look to it. 10/10 be patient”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

For Acne: “The first few weeks you feel like giving up. Made my skin look very shiny in a weird way, peeling was hard to cover and the initial purge sucked. That said, like everyone has mentioned on here, it gets better. The purge is cleaning you out, so keep this perspective. I did not feel good about my skin during that time, but so glad I stuck with it. I'm now at week 9 and have 3-4 pimples on my face, skin is super smooth and looks really glowy. Every day keeps getting better. I'm still peeling on and off but its less than it used to be. Just ease in slowly so you don't get crazy red or peely. I did about 2-3 a week to start and now at 4x a week. Love that this gets rid of hyperpigmentation quickly.”

Coco November 28, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: “trust me this stuff works and I learned the hard way so PLEASE READ. I started Retin-A for acne in the summer. My skin got red and I felt like it was just making it worse! So I stopped using it... wrong mistake! I went by to dermatologist 3 months after and she advised me to stick through it ( I wish she told me this at our first appointment, I has no idea there was something called the “purge”). Sooo fast forward to now my skin is great!!!! It really does work! It just takes time, and learn from my mistake you MUST STICK THROUGH THE PURGE!! It will get better. I regret having to start all over again, but my skin has never looked better”