User Reviews for Tretinoin

Also known as: Altinac, Atralin, Avita, Obagi, Refissa, Renova, Retin A Micro, Retin-A, Retin-A and Renova, Retisol-A, Stieva-A, Stieva-A Forte, Tretin-X, Vitinoin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Tretinoin.

Photoaging of the Skin
8.1

Acne
7.9

Summary of Tretinoin reviews 8.0 351 reviews

Reviews for Tretinoin

Retin A Micro (tretinoin) for Acne: "I’m 49, with hereditary cystic acne w/hormonal component. I’ve tried everything with various degree of success for limited time. Birth control pills; accutane; Minocycline, which helped but caused teeth discoloration! Topical washes, BP, proactive—everything limited. Blue light therapy seems to help but caused hyper pigmentation four me. My sister recommended 0.04% micro gel, which I have been using for about 3 weeks. Redness and bumps ensued but didn’t know to wait the 20 min to apply after washing! Also using 302 (Brand) for inflammatory skin, which is helping (recommend). My skin is still breaking out but healing way faster w/some peeling but pitting is improving! I’m hopeful at last. Definitely the cystic pain is better. Clarisonic @PM helps."

Maybethiswillwork November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My acne got worse in my mid 20s and after trying every tip I could find I finally decided to go to the doctor and he gave me tretinoin . After several research's I found out that things might get worse in the beginning. And indeed things got worse after a few weeks and I broke out terribly, I cried when I looked in the mirror but I thought “just stick with it” and trust me its worth it! I know its really hard but when its over its getting better and better (took me 3-4 months to see first results). Also don't pick because you will have a giant wound after it. Good thing about that; I am not picking anymore :) ! I I also use BP in the morning and zinc, after 11 months I’m now getting compliments for my flawless skin! Don't give up its worth it"

Marie91 November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I purged the 4th week but after that nothing new came I just had to pop out all the left over blackheads because they will not leave if i just leave them alone! I'm in the 6th week right now and have some new open and closed comedones due to what I think is that time of the month.... overall decently satisfied with my results :)"

madawg29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been using Tretinoin Microsphere .04 gel for about a month and 1/2 & just now starting to see improvement in my skin. After using it for about a week & 1/2, for about 2 weeks afterwards my skin looked dull, a little red, developed small bumps on my cheeks and had acne scars.I take full responsibility for the acne scars because I have a pesky, horrible habit of popping my zits and picking at them (Bad! But working on it). My derm. also prescribed 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and a Clindamycin Gel to use in the mornings but now I'm using that as a spot treatment, because my skin got itchy and red & burned for about 2 hours after using it on my entire face. Now my skin looks more vibrant & smoother, acne scars are getting better & I have no bumps!"

Nina9040 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Dr prescribed with this in the .05 cream for acne. I been using it for 3 years now and my face has stayed clear. Whenever I experience a breakout I just dab it on as needed after I wash my face. They only downfall I would say is it takes a little minute for it to clear my acne all the way. Other than that, its a good product."

Me. (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atralin (tretinoin) for Acne: "I have struggled with Acne since puberty. I started using Atralin in my 40's. This has been the only product to ever get my acne under control. So nice to be free from worry. Go to the beach, work out, wear no make up sometimes! I wish this was around when I was younger and perhaps would of avoided so much scaring. For me my scars are really all over except my face so I did luck out with that. Also it makes skin smoother and skin look younger. Cost has gone now which is a plus ,used to be very expensive when it first came out. If I stop it acne always comes back. So I have to use it every night. I combine it with another acne lotion from my dermatologist. I have light sensitive skin and it does not irritate it like other products."

Laney1 September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I never leave reviews but I'm going to leave one for tretinoin. My routine was BP face wash in the morning and a layer of tretinoin all over my face after washing it with a mild soap+moisturizer. My routine was prescribed by my doctor. Ok, let me start by sayin, my purge period was horrible. I didn't even want to leave the house. It was the worst it had ever been in my life. Even when I was 19 and deployed to Afghanistan and couldn't wash my face I had better skin. I didn't want to leave the house. It effected my self confidence. And I was looking online for everyone's experience because I was convinced I was the outlier that tretinoin would not apply to. it took me 4 months to see results. But it worked. Keep pushing through it."

Tret doubter September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Aczone 7.5 gel at night, wait 20 min then apply a light oil free gel moisturiser, then tretinoin gel 0.5% worked for me, being doing this for a year and acne is gone. Had some peeling and redness for first 4 months but so worth it now, and great for wrinkles too!"

Anonymous August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've had to battle acne since the age of 13, I am now 46 and I still have acne issues every so often. I was prescribed Tretinoin .05% 10 years ago and have been a faithful user all these years, I can honestly say that Tretinoin has been a life savior for my skin! Not only does it help with the acne but it has stalled wrinkles!!! I've had so many compliments and no one believes my real age lol that's a huge plus!!! You must stick to it tho and don't give up! It took me a whole 8 months before I saw a difference in my acne! I wish I was able to post a pic so everyone could see how amazing it works!"

PinkBunny46 August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been having cystic acne for the past 3 years. When I feel a cyst coming up I apply a thin very thin amount daily once. Wait at least 30 minutes after showering. After a few days I'll use hydrocortisone cream at night then back to routine. Physians formula makeup plus this routine has cut healing time. Every now and then I'll get a small one apply cream and a Cold compresses to the area help to before applying the cream. Only use as needed."

30girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Amazing. I am experiencing only mild peeling and the benefits are phenomenal. Skin is virtually poreless and very smooth. Pores are clean. Speeding up healing of acne marks. Love it."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "So I've been using this medicine for over a year now. I had really severe acne so I went to a dermatologist that prescribed antibiotics and retacnyl to apply 3 times per week. After I stopped the antibiotics my acne came back, it wasn't as bad as it was before but it was bad so I went back to my dermatologist and he prescribed a higher dose of antibiotics with applying this cream 4 times per week. Its been 2 months since I've stopped the antibiotics and I love the results, my acne is now where I want it to be but I know that if I stop this cream it will break me out.Some people say it takes a lot of time to show results so I'm here waiting"

ghinwa (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I used to have terrible acne all throughout high school that was I very insecure and self-conscious about. After getting on Tretinoin cream my acne cleared up tremendously. It did take about 6 months to clear up and made my face very dry and sensitive but it was all worth it I hardly ever get acne now and my face is so clear now. It does take time but wow it works!"

Lynn1322 July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had bad acne in 7th grade. Even after a few days, I was noticing differences. After a month, my skin looked a lot better. Now, almost three years later, my skin is the best it's ever been."

Celeste Grantham July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I was on accutane (isotretinoin) from December 2015 to July 2016. I had severe acne all over my face, chest, back, and shoulders. Post-accutane my skin was clear as water and I got so many compliments on my skin. My skin was clear and I never got one pimple until mid April 2017 I noticed pimples reappearing on my skin. I got in touch with my derm and she prescribed me tretinoin 0.025% and a face wash- sodium sulfacetamide with salycic acid. I am now on 0.05% and I have been on the gel for a little over 8 weeks. I have seen significant improvement since I started and I did experience about a month and a half of initial breakout. I highly recommend this gel and don't give up! It takes time and my skin is still clearing up. Patience!!!!!"

Alexandra mae (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I have always had acne from in my early teens but just a few pimples now an again. I am now 23, I have relocated to the north coast where I started experiencing terrible breakout it started with rash then small pimples then a disaster. In 2016 I went to my dermatologist who prescribed retin A 0.05% 2 days after using the product I started having unbearable burning when using anything on my face be it water, cleanser or moisturize it just burned like crazy and my acne got worst to the point where people asking me what was wrong with my face, so about two weeks in I stopped using the product. Five days ago which is almost one year after I decided to give it another try and so far there is no burning and no new breakouts"

Jamaican girl (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have acne since I was 12 years old, now Im 22 years old; I have tried every OTC product, I tried Proactive, Acne.org, natural home remedies, antibiotics, Murad, Clinique, etc, etc etc. About 2 months ago my PCP prescribed me with Tretioin Cream 0.5% and I have been using it every day since then. I have to say that this lotion is a life saver, my face looks so much better and I can finally go out without makeup, even my family and friends see the results, I'm very happy to finally find something that really works for me. The only sad thing about this cream is that it can dry up your skin very bad, and sometimes moisturizers make my acne worst, but honestly I prefer a dried face than a face full of ugly, nasty, read pimples."

Amor2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication is okay. It only works if I also use benzoyl peroxide. I have to use it religiously. I still get cystic acne occasionally. It makes my skin feel oily. It's okay. It takes many years to get rid of scarring from the acne. I have tried many drug combinations and in my experience they all work equally well or bad depending on how consistently you use the drug. Retin A is no miracle."

Acne4life June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Stieva-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I've been using the Stieva- a 0.25mg for 4 weeks, in the first 2 weeks my acne cleared up for about 2 days but now it's come back again and I'm left with those awful red dots and pigmentation. I recently just got the higher dosage of the cream so I'm praying it works!!!"

Courtsxo (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "It dries up acne faster than any medication I have used before but you have to use cream to moisturize your skin cause it's start to peel where the acne is ! Quick and effective"

Bambi712 May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been on tretinoin for about a month, and am definitely seeing results. The only negative was my skin became extremely red all over but it was still smooth. I had an appointment with my dermatologist and he told me to use sensitive face lotion (he recommended vanicream) to put over the tretinoin to help with the redness and even after a few days I'm seeing how amazing it is! All you have to do is keep your skin moisturized and this stuff works like a dream, I go to bed every night excited to wake up and see the results!"

laneykitty May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "At age 36, my acne started to come back after a stressful time. It was concentrated on my chin, and was relentless. New cysts every single day. My doctor prescribed Tretinoin cream plus an oral antibiotic (doxycycline). I was so nervous about starting because I read so much about it getting worse before it got better. But to my amazement, after just a few days I started to see drastic improvement. Not a single new pimple, the existing ones healed quickly, and scars are fading fast. I'm shocked (and extremely happy!) at how well this worked for me."

Cole23 May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I began breaking out once I started my junior year of high school it affected my self confidence a lot and I am very much into the makeup and all that but after breaking out I rarely wore any of embarrassment I went to my annual physical and the doctor prescribed the tretinoin cream, I avoided it at first but I am about two months in and my terrible acne is going away along with the peeling and dryness, new skin is under the shell and I am in love with it!!"

Zithlali (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medicine cleared up my acne and got rid of pigmentation from old cystic acne. It did make my skin dry but I moisturized and my skin evened out after it adapted. Only thing I will say is that when I stop using it I have the breakouts again."

Kdubel (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Photoaging of the Skin: "This stuff is the spawn of Satan. I began using this to reduce minor sun spots and fine wrinkles. This stuff made the amazing skin I had into a housing unit for acne. It literally brings tears to my eyes the damage this has done. If it can be avoided, do not use. I would never recommend medication.... ever."

Good skin gone bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017