User Reviews for Tretinoin topical

Also known as: Retin-A, Altreno, Retin A Micro, Renova, Atralin, Avita, Stieva-A, Retisol-A, Refissa, Obagi, Altinac, Retin-A and Renova, Vitinoin, Stieva-A Forte

Photoaging of the Skin
8.3

Acne
7.8

Summary of Tretinoin reviews 7.9 413 reviews

Reviews for Tretinoin

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

For Acne: "Tretinoin gel is powerful and you start seeing positive results within 6-8 weeks. If you're patient and really serious about looking and feeling better you will have to invest your time in your skin care. I recommend you use a noncomedogenic wash for your face to go along with this. Also I recommend a good quality moisturizer. The first 3-4 weeks of using this product I felt like my skin was on fire. I peeled severely and even called my doctor for a follow up. Sure enough he made an assessment and said it was all normal side effect. Tonight I just applied a layer of tretinoin and I'm so excited to see amazing results. I recently went for a facial treatment and steam room which worked wonders. I have been taking multivitamins and oral collagen. I hope everyone enjoys their new skin."

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: "Before I started using Retin A ,my face looked dull and tired . I had very sensitive skin and no cream would help my face look plump and moisturized. I had also some wrinkles becoming more prominent . I felt old and ugly although I am still young (turning 29) . After I started using it ,my face was red and sensitive for about 2 weeks, but now my skin adapted to it and it does not hurt anymore. I use a low strength for now but to get to the point. I look awesome and people are shocked when they hear I am 29 . My pores look are almost gone, my skin elasticity had improved a lot, my face looks plump and hydrated and most of all. It helped with my festoons a lot (I had severe festoons under my eyes.) This is a cream to die for and I totally recommend it. There's nothing better out there in my opinion "

Lala · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2019

For Acne: "Retin A is effective but cannot stand alone and if you take a break from it and restart the skin purge starts all over again. I’ve been up and down with it, it’s definitely helped greatly with my pores, blackheads and skin texture but my breakouts never stop. When I get a break out while on Retin A it is less severe and vanishes quickly but like I mentioned when you take a break and come back expect a pimple bomb to go off its kind of saddening because you spend months slathering this on your face through peeling, burning and irritation only for your results to be short lived!!!!! Word of advice is stick to it no breaks."

Rose · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2019

For Acne: "I got prescribed tretinoin by my dermatologist when I was 15 and I had a mild normal acne . The side effects were so bad but by continues usage it got better I used it for about 6 months and stopped it. My acne came back even worse my face was covered with comedonal acne I tried benzoyl peroxide clindamycin and so many different face washes etc it never helped then I decided to give tretinoin another try for 6 months and it made wonders it even faded my scars so amazingly I'm still using it but I don't have those side effects just a minor peeling but no problem Tretinoin=amazing skin (mild acne)"

Autumn · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 19, 2019

For Acne: "I am 18 years old and have been on Tretinoin for over a year now. I have moderate/severe acne. I first got put on a 0.025% dosage. At first I did experience a breakout due to everything coming out, but overtime it got SO much better. Pimples never really appear on my face like they used to since I started it. If I do get them; they are very small. However, tretinoin never helped with the accumulation of blackheads all over my face. So I just recently got but on 0.1% :) Hopefully 0.1% will fix my problem! I’ll let you all know what I think of it."

Eddie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I was put on Ritin -A 0.5 gel to help manage my moderate acne. So far, I have been using this medication for about a month and 2 weeks and have noticed great results. At first I broke out more and my skin looked worse. But just a few weeks ago I noticed my skin start to really heal a lot. I use this in combination with cetaphil face wash. I do have some scarring from acne (mainly left over red marks ) and it really help with that. My skin texture is a lot smoother and more even. I have only had a few new pimples arrive since starting this medication. I continue to keep using it for a very long time to manage my acne and for its anti ageing benefits. If your curious about starting this medication, don’t be, I wish I started it years ago when I first got teenage acne."

manda · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

For Acne: "I’m just keeping it real, the short term side effects are not worth end result. I’ve been using tretinoin 0.025% for 5 days and I have cystic bumps and boils on my face now. I was being treated for small blackheads. Never in my life have I had cystic bumps. This medicine also made my skin peel so bad 100$ moisturizer couldn’t even keep it moisturized for an hour. DON'T TAKE IT"

Mellie · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 5, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I started using Retin-A about a year and a half ago. It's life changing. Just stick with it! It was hard the first month or so. My side effects were just extremely dry skin. Also lotion and makeup stung a bit in the beginning. I had mild acne but lots of scaring over the years and spots that made my skin look uneven. I also have fairly large pores all over my face. My pores look considerably smaller now and I hardly ever get a break out. If I do it heals fast. I still use it every night even though my skin looks good, just now mainly to continue to have nice looking skin and for its anti aging properties."

Kat · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

For Acne: "I really like tretinoin. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "miracle" drug because I can credit other skin treatments for clearing my acne (like birth control pills and the drug Doxycycline), but it has been great. I've been on it since I first started going to the dermatologist in my early teens, which now is about 4-5 years ago, so I've been using it for 4-5 years. Tretinoin has been my way of keeping my skin at bay while other things in my life may be keeping it from staying acne-free, like if I switch birth control pills or if I forget to wash my face. I use 0.05% and I use it once a day at night accompanied by a moisturizer. It's worked for me. It takes a while to see results (maybe even 6 months to a year) but it DOES work, and also helps improve redness and/or scarring. Try this out--it may work for you."

Jessica · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2019

For Acne: "So I’ve never had acne in my life besides the 1-2 pimples I would get on my period. I started breaking out Oct 21 2018 and it was small inflamed bumps on my forehead and it got worse every day! After a week it was drastically worse and I went to derm & got tretinion & never used it because the reviews scared me bad because of the purge. After a month my skin got so bad and the acne migrate to the side of my face so my forehead & side of my face was covered in acne. The forehead was inflamed pus filled acne & my side of face was comedones that looked like sandpaper. I finally used the tretinion & within a week my skin improved. I used clindamycin every morning and tretinion every other day. With two weeks my skin looked 80% better. Now 2 months later it looks 100 % better. I never experience severe dryness/flaking. I started using everyday after 2 weeks. I never experienced a purge either. Now I left with scars but they've gotten so much lighter with this cream! Just try it! Not everyone Has a bad experience!"

T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "In the first 3-4 weeks on Retin-A, it was horrible, I had horrible acne almost everywhere on my face especially on my cheeks and it's painful. But after 1 or 2 months, I noticed a big improvement on my face. Trust me, it's worth trying."

Chrish · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I have mild acne and started using Retin A 0.025%. I've been using the cream for about three weeks now and I didn't see much change in the first two weeks. I'm seeing much more improvement now. I still have a few small bumps and blackheads, but it's not as bad as before. My skin feels significantly smoother and softer than before so I'm excited to see how much more it will improve."

Hikp · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2019

For Acne: "I have hormonal acne, am EXTREMELY oily, and very acne prone around my period. Three months ago I went on Yasmin for my moderate acne and it ruined my skin: terrible cystic pimples all over, irritated red/brown marks and even some scars. Once I stopped last month, I was desperate for a quick solution. After 1 month of tretinoin cream (apply once per night of 0.025%) my acne has cleared by 85%. I also had no initial breakout phase so don’t get scared to try because of that. If my skin sounds like yours, TRY THIS. Make sure you get the cream version though."

N/A March 8, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I'm in my early 20s and have been applying Retin-A gel once a night for over a year now. Before starting the gel I had what I would describe as moderate acne. During the first 6-8 months of Retin-A use I had the most severe acne of my life, all over my face. It was painful and so embarrassing to leave the house. Not to mention the horrific dry skin that would just flake off my face, no matter how much I moisturize. But I stuck with it as the dermatologist suggested, and now my acne is mostly under control. However, I would not say my acne now is any better than before I started Retin-A, and on top of that I now have deep, ugly scars on both sides of my face (not just a few... a LOT) from the severe acne. I have not had any acne scars in my life until now, and I have had moderate to heavy acne since I was 12. Now there a pit scars all across my cheeks. I have ruined my face by using Retin-A, and would have been exponentially better off if I had never used it in the first place."

JenniferM · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I started using Retin-A after switching my birth control pills to progesterone only due to severe migraines thought to be caused by estrogen. I am now 23 and never struggled this bad with acne. Before Retin-A I had a few cystic acne spots on my chin and jawline and small blemishes on my forehead, occasionally. After using Retin-A my face got way worse. The first week it caused my face to be red, flaky and BURN. This wasn't the typical burning feeling I would get from a topical acne cream. This was a burn that would hurt when I would step outside. It made the cystic acne spots really dry, red and very sore. I called my dermatologist and they said those are typical side effects and to mix my moisturizer with the Retin-A. This helped but didn't help enough. I went another 5+ weeks dealing with peeling, flaking, red, irritated, dry, sore skin. I finally decided to stop using it. The next day my skin was feeling a lot less sore and irritated. This was not the medication for me."

Allyson February 13, 2019

For Photoaging of the Skin: "I have been using Tretinoin cream for 24 years. After "decades" of use, I consider it a miracle cream. I started at 36. I'm now 60 and have the skin texture (porcelain-like) of a 20-something. No, I don't look 20 BUT no wrinkles, except a few tiny lines when I smile. No botox either. I give Retin-A ALL the credit. I've been using the strongest dosage (.1%) for 20+ years & no side effects from long-term use. Why isn't everyone using it? Makes no sense. My advice is save your money on high-end moisturizers, scrubs, and serums, & put your skincare dollars where it really counts- Retin-A. If you see an article downplaying the effectiveness of Retin-A for anti-aging, they're probably greedy little buggers trying to sell you another product. Seriously, NOTHING trumps this stuff!!! Use it not only on your face, but also neck, decolette, and hands. I regret I didn't start earlier on those other body parts."

Jeff February 1, 2019

For Acne: "I have been using tretinoin cream for the last 3 months now and it truly changed my life. I suffered from mild/moderate acne on my neck for around 8 months. I used the 0.01% for 2 months and then increased 0.025% for the last month. Using this cream really makes things worse before they get better but keep on going with it. You really have to wait 3 months to see results. Acne flares would come and go but now I can clearly see the difference on how the pimples form and heal. The amount and severity of acne really diminished since I started. The best advice I would give is DO NOT LOOK AT YOURSELF TOO MUCH IN THE MIRROR, make it quick! Acne will affect you more emotionally if you keep on looking at it. I would cry and be so depressed for the last 3 months. If you are using tretinoin, give yourself at least a few months before seeing improvement but it is totally worth it. I now feel that I got my life back. Have hope, tretinoin really does wonders."

an · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2018

For Acne: "The gel is currently stuck on my skin. It has been for days now. Now my skin is more red due to trying to get the gel off"

Alexandra · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I started using Retin-A .0025% about a two-three months ago. I’m 26 years old and have had terrible acne ever since I was a preteen. I was able to get the acne under control by drinking 72+ oz of water a day and switching to a plant based diet. However, this has left me with noticable scarring. Retin-A has helped so much with this. I read the reviews of everyone saying it dries out your skin. This is true. USE A MOISTURIZER! Moisturize day and night. This has helped me so much. I don’t even notice dry skin anymore. Also, stay hydrated. Drink lots of water."

Jd December 10, 2018

For Acne: "I was so scared to use this product as I have read some scary reviews. But TRY IT, it has made me so confident and my skin is beyond clear. BUT put cetaphil on 10 minutes before you put the cream on, it helps with dryness. Don’t stop using tretinoin because you experience bad dryness, it makes it worth it."

Male Vanity · Taken for 10 years or more December 9, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Photoaging of the Skin: "I'm Asian and I stay in a tropical country. This product was widely introduced here when I was in my teens and I was quick to use it since it was highly recommended by the big name dermatologists of that time. I had problematic skin back then and it was recommended by my own dermatologist. I was fourteen then. Now, I'm 41 and I'm often told I look younger. Even if I'm a male professional, that still matters a lot! I could still remember temporarily stopping for less than a year cause I'd have spells of temporary severe dry skin and, once, eczema, but I jump on to it once my skin has stabilized. Of course, good skin maintenance does help and seeking professional help if something does not seem ok is best, but I would say this product works. Start while you're young (best if you can start with some professional help!)."

Csc · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I am in awe of how well this product works! I’ve been on it for 1 week and my skin is so clear I don’t believe it’s possible! I’ve struggled with acne since I was 12 (I am now a 21 year old female) and I’ve tried just about everything including accutane but nothing made a big difference. My acne has ranged from moderate to severe. My biggest struggle was the texture- my face was covered in tiny bumps and clogged pores. My derm now put me on .08% Not only are the pimples gone after a week, but my whiteheads & blackheads have disappeared almost like magic. There is dryness and peeling which I’m hoping will go away over time, but I’m fine with it because it’s left me with fresh, new skin. I highly highly recommend this product!"

J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 10, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I used to be prescribed epiduo, but my insurance stopped covering it and it became too expensive so they put me on retin-a. All this medication does is dry out my skin, it doesn't even reduce redness or irritation from the acne. I personally have found that witch hazel and basic night serums do more than what I'm prescribed is supposed to do. 0/10 "

Aan · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin) for Acne: "I personally recommend you guys not to use this Retin A gel for Acne. It makes ur skin worser and worser with big red boils. I was expecting a change in the initial months but when I came to a situation were I was not able to leave out of my house due to the peeling and scars. I was forced to change the doctor. Now I'm not using Retin A gel for past one month and things came to normal."

Yas · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2018

For Acne: "After having acne almost all my life, as a child and now as an adult. My face has always been super red and low self esteem, even with makeup on. At first I discovered lavender oil on pimples will dry them and slowly kill the bacteria. It did work wonders but pimples kept coming back and my face was uneven, red and still not beautiful. I needed more! I then got prescibed tretinion and started using it 2x a week for a few weeks. The first few weeks I was peeling and anything on my face burned, even water. I almost gave up. My face was dry. Eventually my skin face got use to it after a little over a month of light use. Now I use it every night and my face is smooth, no acne and barely any scars. I want to cry. Tears of happiness, of course. Acne is the worse for your confidence. Struggling with acne is no fun. Whatever you do, just don’t stop. Keep going. It will get better and you won’t regret it."