User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare

Acne
8.3

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 9.1 733 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

For Acne: "Finished my 6-month treatment of Epuris (Canadian Accutane) a couple months back in October and my one regret is that I didn't go on it sooner. I was initially left with a couple of spots of hyper-pigmentation. I have gotten some pimples since stopping, but they go away so quickly instead of taking forever to disappear like they used to. The extreme dryness on my lips/face was NOT fun during my treatment, but stopped within a month of stopping the drug and was my only symptom. Healing ointment got me through it. Completely worth enduring. It's crazy how much not having acne can boost your confidence, and I can accidentally fall asleep with my face buried in my pillow and not wake up with three new pimples. It's amazing."

It's worth it January 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took this for acne on my back. It cleared it up and haven’t had a recurrence in 40 years. The only side effect was dry lips."

Anonymous January 6, 2018

For Acne: "I have very severe acne for almost 3-4 yrs on my face, chest and back. No medication was of use. It did reduce my confidence. It made me conscious and I started to avoid going out. Later my Dr. suggested Isotroin-20mg as the last and final option. Yes, it did work!! I haven't faced any major side effects besides dry skin and chapped lips. But this medicine does help a lot. Always keep your body hydrated and moisturized. And drink plenty of water, have a good diet and do some physical exercise!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Made my acne 10x worse. I now have horrible scarring that I would have never had without it. Made me depressed and really dark thoughts. Would not recommend."

Nc98 January 4, 2018

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "45yo male on Claravis for 6 weeks so far. Face is completely cleared up from severe cystic acne suffered the last 5 years. Took minocycline for 3 years then started having severe side effects. Claravis has been a life saver! Side effects for me so far have been dried cracked lips and dry skin from the neck up."

lehmanbt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "The medication was able to remove all of my acne effectively and I was very happy with the results for few months then after I finished the drug course which was was about 6 months the acne started to show again. The reason for that could be because I didn’t use any preventative treatment afterwards like cream or something Ps : side effects of the drug were pretty depressing like : dryness of hand palms and eyes and eyelids , severe dryness of lips"

Shahad r December 25, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Honestly, I believe Accutane is great, I was doubting it in the start but here is my story. I'm currently 17, 18 in two months, so for the past three years I had been in severe depression because of acne, I have tried everything, tactuo, antibiotics, ointment, oh man literally everything. Then my doctor recommended Accutane, I really was scared taking it reading the side effects. My mom did not want me to start taking it but I decided that I should give it a chance. So I did and its the best decision I have ever made. Yes, I am facing many side effects such as minor hair fall but currently its very minor hair loss, I get super dry skin but every morning I put on CereVe which I highly recommend. All in all, you should give it a try, have faith."

Winnie123456 December 20, 2017

For Acne: "I suffered acne breakout during summer that cause severe acne on my face. Before, my confidence is extremely low, it comes to the point that I am not going outside of our house and afraid that someone can see my face and baddest part of it is I am very depressed and I attempted suicide. Isotretinoin really helps me and my brother to gain back our confidence and make our face clearer than before. I just need to finished this course and boost my confidence and helps me to make my face clearer than before. "

Anonymous December 12, 2017

For Acne: "My acne was not terrible but I had it for ages. My chest acne and back acne were very distressing to me. The doctors tried everything before the oral isotretinoin, including the cream and antibiotics.I went on different pills to see if anything would work. Then the dermatologist agreed to let me have isotretinoin tablets. It was the best thing ever!I was on a low dose over a long time (apparently they found this way to be safer and just as effective). My lips and eyes were a little dry but that was seriously the only side effects I had .I am prone to joint pain and did not notice increased occurence of my normal pain. No depression at all! one year later and the effects on my back and chest are still perfect but I get the odd pimple on my face."

=^.^= December 11, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My daughter was on this for 6 weeks and on her second blood test was told she had high cholesterol and high potassium levels. Days later she was rushed to hospital and was told the roaccutane caused pancreatitis. No one told her this was a risk when you take it"

Andy443 December 9, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I wish people were more aware of the long term potential side effects of Accutane. I feel like my doctor failed me and I failed myself by not digging into what an insanely harmful drug this often is. I really mean OFTEN! Do your research before taking this stuff! There seems to be no end to the side effects and the lives it can ruin. Quality of life is effected by so much more than those pimples on your face. You'll realize that when you're 25 and have brain fog and memory loss of a 60 year old whose gone through chemo. If I could do it again and spend more time and money of finding a natural alternative for my acne, you bet I would have. Educate yourself for your own sake."

Jordan33 December 7, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I wanted to share my experience, because it's been just over a year since I stopped taking accutane, and the results have been amazing. I started in May of 2016 after years of mild acne ruined my self confidence. The only negative thing I will say about this medication is that it knocks you down before it picks you up. I suffered awful dry skin at first, so much so I couldn't even shave without my face getting cut up. However, after about a month of this, and my acne not getting any better, I started to see results, and in the year since I ended my 5 month regimen, besides the occasional white head, my skin is as clear as ever."

Sean O (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Along with braces for my teeth, accutane was one of the best things I’ve ever done. At the age of 12, I started to have severe acne and serious breakouts that would never go away, no matter what I tried, no matter what topical medications I was prescribed. Finally, at 14, I was prescribed accutane, and I have to say, it was truly life changing. I did experience a rash-type skin response, along with sensitivity for the first week or so. After that, my skin became very dry. It was slightly annoying because I felt like a snake, as much as my skin was dry and sloughing off, but it was 1,000% worth it. Here I am now I’m my 20s and my skin is so clear and beautiful. I receive compliments all the time! Accutane was a life saver."

Natalie DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My experience with accutane was for the most part very positive. I suffered from breakouts on my forehead that wouldn’t go away no matter what I tried. I had taken various kinds of birth control over the years to help with my break outs but by the age of 20 it wasn’t helping with my acne at all anymore. The first week or so of taking accutane I got what looked to be a rash on my whole face that was hot to the touch and sore. I felt like I had alligator skin! The rash went away though within a week or two and then the dry skin started but it was nothing I couldn’t keep on top of. I used a vitamin e cream to keep it hydrated. I only did one round of medication and it seemed to do the trick. The dry skin is so worth it!!! My skin is beautiful!"

Accutane girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2017

For Acne: "Well. This medicine was on point for my skin. I didn't have severe acne but my skin wasn't smooth as well. I had quite a low self esteem and depression before so it didn't really affect me mentally. Of course my skin was terrible in the first 2 weeks but wow. it was worth it ! I can't tell you how amazing this thing is. I'm 18 now and I am just like those kids that I used to hate because they had nice skin "

Mike True (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I first had acne at the age of 12 and I thought nothing of my appearance and I was just a kid - you know I just didn't care of what other people thought. But then at the age of 14/15 I began to compare my skin to peers and I absolutely HATED what I saw in the mirror. I had awful acne the doctor even said "the most severe he has come across" because not only did i have it on my face and neck it was also down my back. So at the age of 15 I was finally put on roacutane! and I have to say I will never take my clear skin for granted it's the best thing I have EVER done! During the process I got extremely dry lips but it's all worth it in the end! It's life changing.. RECOMMEND TO ANYBODY!!"

emilyeakers (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2017

For Rosacea: "Just over a month in....very low dose (10mg) for Sebaceous Hyperplasia and Rosacea but appears to be working! Tried umpteen other lotions and potions and nothing worked then this medication. My specialist is insisting on blood tests to keep an eye on my liver and cholesterol so fingers crossed the first tests come back positive. Dry lips and some dry skin on my body but making sure to use lip balm and moisturizing lotion after showers. Minor headaches and minimal joint pain but no nose bleeds or other symptoms. My skin is starting to look more 'normal' again and my hair glorious after years of greasy misery. Fingers crossed things continue to improve "

Janeybett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

For Acne: "consumed 10mg for first 3 months, then went on 20mg for 4months, and at the moment on 5th month (of 20mg) and will have to do the same for one more month, then my doctor will tell me if I should stop or still take the medicine. Overall really great, I had terrible acne, no acne now whatsoever, actually really relieves, don't hesitate, use it. Most people who rate it negatively, most likely take the drugs in the wrong way or it just doesn't work for them. It really does wonders. 7months and my acne is almost gone (few spots on my back and no spots left on my face, new spots come out once 2 weeks but that’s because of my job which is very stressful)"

777amazing October 12, 2017

For Acne: "I am a 21 year old female and cannot express how happy I am to have used Accutane! I have recommended it to so many people and would say it is totally worth it. I was on it for 7 months with monthly visits to the doctor for blood work and labs and follow ups that are required but every monthly visit was totally worth it, I have clear skin and it even shrunk my pores and I don't have oily skin anymore. This has given me so much confidence. The side effects sound scary but I only noticed dry lips from the decrease in oil production and dry scalp for the first couple days. Your body adjusts. If you are thinking about this, do it. You won't regret it."

Brooke S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane made my life better!!! I went on it twice, the first time didn’t really have an effect, but the second time worked. I have been off of it for several months and my face has no zits or blemishes. I still have scarring though but it is going away over time. The dry skin and lips is all worth it in the end."

sarah99981 September 30, 2017

For Acne: "I read all the negative reviews out there before taking this medicine. Of course I was scared out my mind after reading some of the stories but I can tell you, you'll be fine. I've had dry lips and skin but besides that, just a clear face so far. (3 months in)"

Frank__ September 25, 2017

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been taking claravis for 3 months and have had significant improvement in my adult cystic acne. I was VERY worried about side effects. I definitely have dry, chapped lips and my cholesterol has gone up. My skin/hair isn't dry, but, I normally have very greasy skin/hair. My olive skin wasn't that sun sensitive, I still took precautions at the beach (sunblock, hats, umbrellas). Per my DR: Supplements (including protein powder) & OTC drugs that are processed by your liver/kidneys are to be avoided. My DR told me to check with them before taking other medication. Side effects are real but very manageable. This drug really works! Stay hydrated, moisturize, and carry aquaphor for chapped lips!"

Britt1209 September 21, 2017

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Best experience ever. Is this how the normal population lives? For the first time in my life my skin isn't greasy and my hair isn't oily. I would have to wash my hair everyday and it was always frizzy. I wash my hair once a week now and I don't even bother wearing makeup. I will be so sad to return to my old greasy self. I take 30mg 2x a day. I was religious about everything for the first 2 months until I went a little crazy. It was summer and I was miserable with the sun rash and being itchy. After that I would cut back to 1 a day when it got too itchy and too dry. I would love to take 2 pills a week forever!"

Rebezim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

For Acne: "The drug is no doubt very effective in clearing acne . But you cannot avoid the 2nd time break outs which may come after 2-3 years and that will be the worst break out because accutane lowers your immunity and it cannot fight against the breakouts next time. Also accutane has got lots of side effects and it risks your life to lots of health issues and it can destroy your life forever. It is the worst drug ever to have. I urge to people who are reading this review to please not to consume this drug and please warn your friends, relatives, near and dear ones not to consume this drug. Your life is more important than anything else. If you want to survive and have a healthy life . "

Maitrayee September 11, 2017

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My acne was cleared. Extreme depression began."

tc2213 September 11, 2017