User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 645 reviews 536 medications

8.4
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 656 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Mild to moderate persistent acne. Male, 20s. Get prescribed this drug. Almost completely cleared up. Dry skin is my only side effect. First month takes some getting used to with bringing lotion/chapstick with you places. First 3 weeks is kind of fun watching everything get pushed out of your skin. I was hesitant after horror stories but you'd be wrong not to try it."

Rich_2 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I haves struggled with acne since high school. I admit, it wasn't as severe as other cases. I occasionally had cysts, which I would cover with bandaids because I was too embarrassed. Over the years, my skin has been more clear but it's never really gone away. I'm currently in my sixth month of accutane. I think at this point, I was expecting more of a drastic change but haven't noticed a huge difference... yet. It's starting to kick in now though. The only side effects I have encountered are the dry lips, and the sweaty upper lip and eyebrows. The hardest part was the short time frame between lab work and getting the pills. More expensive than we anticipated, just in trying to order it. Stressful, but overall, better results than before."

Yelah (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Started off 20 mg for the first two months not on 40 mg, still having break outs but acne has been less cystic. Side effects so far are dry lips, hair loss, dry scabby skin on top of hands, and some mild mood swings. I still work out 5 days a week and have not lost my energy. I rated the medication at an 8 cause it is working but not fully, I am just being patient but I can see results occurring. I used pure coconut oil on my face and I love it. I usually reapply twice a day because my skin soaks it up for being drier than usual and aquaphor for lips/hands."

Almost 3 months into the pills (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've had very bad back and butt acne for 14 years.I have always put off taking accutane as I heard of the horrible side effects. I went to the doctor for a bad spot of acne that needed to be cut open. He said I have to go on accutane and explained the side effects. Lets do it cause I can't carry on like this any more.The pain ,the bleeding and the fact I haven't taken my shirt off in public for 14 years. I was very worried about taking it. Started in December 2016. I've been on it for 4 months already and its made a huge difference to my back and butt. My butt is taking a bit longer and that was explained to me before taking it. I have had very little break out on my back and its almost cleared. thou I have dry skin and very dry lips so far but worth it."

Calvinaccutane March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I used this in High School back in 2003 and I haven't suffered more then a zit on my face a year."

STP_David (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I ran out of room with writing my other review but I use cetephil daily face cleanser and daily advance lotion. I use aquaphor for my lips. I keep it at all times. With my side effects I also have severe muscle aches!!!!! I hope this helps anyone who is considering to use accutane. I recommend it but keep a close eye on your Side effects. I'm happy with how it's working as of now just my complexion isn't good. I also HIGHLY recommend to not pull off dry skin! As it will lead to a red mark and become dryer and will become a scar. And do not pick at any zits. I'm a big picker, I'm constantly feeling on my face and pick if I feel anything. It leads to scarring. Be patient with it. You'll look great afterwards."

Lilyanny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Myorisan (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had my first zit before I even entered my teens. My dad has "problem" skin and blessed me with the same. It was not unusual to see me constantly wiping the excess oil from my face and sporting a huge zit or two. As a young adult, I've tried a ton of those over-the-counter products like Noxema, Clearasil, Proactiv, Neutrogena, etc. But I found that as I got older my acne just got worse. So, I began seeing a dermatologist and we tried several things: doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline, epiduo, differin, tretinoin, clindamycin and birth control pills (for the benefit of clearer skin). And I must admit that some of these regimen helped but the minute the doctor felt that it cleared up enough and stopped the medication, my skin would worsen. So, with my oily skin and now experiencing breakouts more frequently and especially around my mouth and jaw area, I had had enough and decided to try Accutane. Medication: I was prescribed MYORISAN 40mg for 6 months. Experience: In the first month, the breakout could be described as the worse I have ever had. I had developed larger, more painful and a lot more acne than at any time that I could remember. I was so discouraged but had to keep believing in my dermatologist's promise of clear skin. After the first month, the breakout lessened and my skin began to dry out. Now I was required to moisturize my skin which was something that I would have not have dared to do prior to treatment. My lips began to chap and crack but that was easily remedied with chapstick or any other type of lip gloss. My skin was a lot more sensitive than before. I used to be able to wash my face with warm water and a wash cloth, but now the skin was so thin/dry that it would actually damage the skin and develop a scab the next day. I had to wear sunblock and a hat when I exercised in the park. If I didn't wear enough, I would suffer a mild sun burn. I didn't suffer any nose bleeds or depression. As the months went on I became acne free. And I was even told by someone that I had beautiful skin. Can you imagine my surprise?! I was in heaven. My dermatologist recommended that I apply Epiduo and tretinoin to my skin every two days after I took my last Accutane pill. This surprised me because I thought my days of acne medication were over. After I took my last pill, my skin remained clear and dry of excessive oil for a couple of months but gradually I began to develop a few small zits and my skin was becoming oily again. This was not the promise that my dermatologist gave me. He said I'd be acne free and at the very most I would be a small bump around the time of my menstruation. I can without a doubt tell you that is not my reality. It has now been almost 6 months since I completed my Accutane treatment and I am once again carrying around napkins to wipe the excessive oil from my face throughout the day. And there are days when I have several zits on my face at any given time. I don't dare moisturize my already oily skin. But honestly speaking, my breakouts are not to the degree of what they used to be prior to Accutane because the pimples are smaller. But I'm unsure that if it's too early to tell and that maybe with more time it may all go back to how it was originally. I guess time will tell."

dingdong1981 March 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I suffered from mild/persistent acne, which only got worse when I started college due to the anxiety and stress. The break outs become more frequent as the years went by, so I decided to see a dermatologist. I was first prescribed a treatment of facial cleansers, which worked for awhile, but my acne eventually came back. Then my dermatologist decided to put me on on Claravis (accutane). The first 2 months were hell, due to the extremely dry/sensitive skin. I suffered cuts daily and shaving became torture, I almost quit on the treatment. However, I turned a corner around the start of month 3 and haven't looked back. My treatment lasted 5 months, and since ending it in October 2016 my skin has been completely clear."

Sean O (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I inherited cystic acne from my father. He had severe cystic acne and was prescribed it immediately after it was approved by the FDA. It was amazing, it cleared his acne completely, but the side affects were pretty significant. I developed cystic acne as a teenager, and it never let up. I wanted to take Accutane, but being a woman, doctors were hesitant because of the birth defects it caused. I pursued it and finally found a doctor willing to prescribe it, but I had to be on birth control and be monitored. I was in my early twenties. I experienced severe skin dryness, headaches, and some minor hair loss. It was pretty uncomfortable, but I don't regret it at all. It was like a decade of bad skin was wiped out with one four month treatment."

FinallyZitFree February 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Absorica (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son was on this drug for about 4 months and the worst things happened. He went from mild acne to the worst acne one can imagine. It was horrible huge cystic acne. We went to the doctor month after months with disgust in how bad his face got. Eventually I pulled the plug and brought him to another doctor who agreed after showing him pictures that this drug was detrimentally ruining his skin. He switched him to clarvis and within a couple of weeks it was clearing up. My son's self esteem was detrimentally affected along with his skin. He will now need to have some type of resurfacing done to get his skin back. We have pictures to prove what this did to his skin!!"

noabsorica (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Overall I used the drug for 10 months. In 3/2016 my doctor tried me on a low dose for my weight which was 40 mg and I only lasted for 3 weeks. The drug made gave me anger management issues. More alarming was by the end of the 3 weeks I was depressed - life wasn't worth it. It took several days after I stopped it for that to go away. The drug made me very paranoid. I took myself off of it & then went back on Accutane 10 mg in June & worked up to 60 mg by January. I stayed on it another month on 40 mg before ending the drug. Accutane helped my acne significantly but I bled when I pooped, had trouble with BM, slept excessively, threw up constantly, was paranoid & angry. Not sure it was worth it."

Emmy1991 February 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Today is my first day of taking Accutane, and the reviewed shared in this blog actually helps and i'm looking forward in completing my 6 months treatment and getting good results.I will update you guys in 2 weeks time..."

NickyB15 February 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Please read! There are so many scary and terrible reviews on this drug. Before going on this drug, I read reviews and became stiff with anxiety. I actually took a brand names Zenatane, which is the same thing just a little cheaper. LIFE SAVER. I had to come on here and write a glowing review for everyone who was in the position I was before starting. My flare up began the summer of my senior year of high school and got so terrible when I moved away for college. It was so bad and I was so embarrassed that I moved back home. Huge hard cyst type zits all over my face with redness. No amount of makeup could hide it. I finally made the choice to just do this treatment. It's the best choice I have ever made. I have actually been off of it for almost two years now and still don't get much... a few every now and then but small and hardly ever. The side effects- NOT THAT BAD. Yes I had very dry eyes... but nothing some good drops couldn't fix. I also had a dry nose but nothing some good spray couldn't fix. Towards the end of my treatment I even started my outdoor college soccer practices. I was in the sun, I was running and out of breath, but everything was just fine! The worst part about this drug for me was taking the pills. I have a fear of swallowing pills but I did it with some yogurt and it's no big deal. Here's the thing... FOLLOW THE RULES. My sister took this before me. She ruined it for herself. She decided smoking while taking it is no big deal... wrong. It ruined her breathing to a point where she had to stop the drug... and her skin was much worse than mine. 5 years later she is on it again and doing great. So don't listen to all the scary reviews. You will be fine! You can manage the side effects. You can get more help from your Derm. YOU GOT THIS."

paigeyk (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son had severe acne. We tried every prescription and non-prescription topical cream and also the oral medications, minocycline and doxycycline. Nothing worked and he was struggling for 2 years with self esteem crushing acne all over his face. I was hesitant to have him try Accutane because of all the side effects but I'm so glad we decided to have him try it. He started at 40 mg the first month and then switched to 80 mg for 5 months. His face is completely clear. I call this a miracle drug. It's not for everyone and please realize there are some serious side effects for some people. My son mainly just had chapped lips and some peeling skin but nothing that wasn't manageable with moisturizer and chap stick"

Tnt3 February 7, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Very good results, although I had terribly dry, red skin, face moisturizer really helped! the medicine done its job & I only took about 5 months of accutane which left me with clear skin. I get a clogged pore or a small pimple every now and then but over all, great medicine! Really does wonders"

jessygirl122 February 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am an uncommon person. I actually had an adverse reaction to the drug. I was honestly one of the most popular kids in my school. Known for good looks, etc. I was such a pretty boy, that when I started to get even a mild breakout, I urged my mom to make a dermatologist appointment. My dermatologist prescribed me accutane. It was the worst decision of my life. My face EXPLODED with acne. For the past year and a half, I have struggled with depression, visited numerous doctors, surgeons, spent THOUSANDS of dollars on surgeries, and am only about 70% improved from the point that I started accutane. I can not express enough how much this drug has severely effected me in my life, and ask you to use caution when this drug. Please use caution."

Tfreeds (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took 60 mg of accutane for almost 6 months and I had moderate to severe acne. Did help my acne tremendously and though once in a while I still get a little pimple here and there, it is not to the severity of before taking the medication. However the side effect was brutal: very dry skin, nosebleed , and a lot of hair shedding. I say the hair shedding was the worst side effect of the medication because I was shedding hair during the medication and even after I stop taking accutane, I developed telogen effluvium which cause more shedding for three more months. Eventually the shedding stop and everything went back to normal. Yes this medication is effective for treating acne but be cautious of side effect."

Tr0y February 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've had acne for about 8 years. Last year it suddenly deteriorated into severe nodular cystic acne. I started Accutane in September 2016, I'm nearly finished my sixth month and I still have the same nodules and cysts that I had at beginning of the treatment, I'm still breaking out the same as before. Accutane is effective for 96% of people whilst they're on it, so I'm not bashing Accutane, it's an amazing drug for the majority of people. I'm obviously an exception and I'm devastated."

Doomed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "When I was 22 I started experiencing extremely bad acne. It really affected my self-esteem and confidence and I would wear layers of foundation even just to pop to the shop. After 2 years I was recommended isotretinoin.. And I am so glad I was, I only wish I had tried it sooner. I am currently 3 months into a 6 month treatment course. Initially I started on 20mg and am now on 30mg a day. My skin went completely clear within the first month, and my scarring is definitely improving too. I feel so much happier and more confident. In terms of side effects, I consistently have dry lips, although nothing unmanageable, and my back and neck tend to ache. Regardless, I have no regrets at all about taking this medication!"

S_T (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "​Hello everyone, I'm your typical 18 year old lad and have never written on a forum before but I want to write something for the people that are worried about taking this (in my opinion) miracle drug. I am coming to the end of my 6 month course and I can honestly say it's been life changing. Before I started Roaccutane, I was fairly depressed and seriously lacking confidence due to my appearance. But after months of failed treatments on various antibiotics, I was referred to a dermatologist who instantly said there's only one way to fix my acne problem, Roaccutane. At first I thought this is the worst case scenario and I'm going to be even more depressed as a result of the possible mental health side affects. Depression has run in my family so I was very worried. However, living like with acne wasn't something I was prepared to do, so I started the course on 40mg a day. The first week I had a headache daily, but thankfully these die off after a week and paracetamol and ibuprofen will take all the pain away. Almost immediately, my lips were cracking and from then on in, I never went anywhere without some Carmex lip balm in my pocket. As the first 3 months went by, I was still breaking out and was starting to think it isn't going to work. However, I'm so glad I stuck with it because now I haven't got a single spot of my face and the scars have faded to the point where you can barely see them! After the third month, my derm upped my dose and I started to take 60mg a day. Luckily for me I hadn't had any serious side affects. Just your occasional nose bleed and dry skin, and sometimes my eyes were a bit blurry but it's not much of an issue. Anyway, I just want anyone reading this that is worried about starting this medication, that not everyone has a horror story about Roaccutane and I couldn't be happier at how it's made me feel!! Don't let acne take over your life!:)"

braaad1998 January 17, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I recommend a lower dose of 40 mg if your acne is not that bad. I started out at 20 mg the first month, then 30 mg the second month, and 40 mg for months 3-6. I never had any nose bleeds. I was tired some times, joint pain, stiffness of hips, forgetfulness (for example forgetting that I just took a shower and realizing my hair was wet and I didn't need to take one), possible depression although I was bit irate at times before the taking the med. I did have a couple bad nightmares. I had chapped lips through like the whole time taking it. I had the bad habit of biting the skin off my lips.. The positive was no acne not too long after taking it.. although it did flare up a bit about a couple weeks in after taking it. Hair not oily. :)"

6 months of Isotretinoin (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've always had breakouts on my chin every month for the last 3 years so I tried this. I had a breakout on the 1st month of using this and it was the worse, good thing I don't have any school that time. But it healed faster when I steamed it and let all the cyst pop up. Although it left me a reddish chin that is really annoying. Im on my way to 2nd month and my face is 70% smooth. I can feel another breakout coming. How do I treat this redness on my face? Was it because of the steaming?"

wolf upper January 13, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I struggled with such bad acne since I was in middle school. I tried almost every type of over the counter medicine that there was and none of it worked. During my Freshman year of high school, I decided that I needed a cure for my acne because of how terrible it was getting. I went to a dermatologist and he recommend Accutane for about 7 months. After about 3 months, I could not believe that my face was getting clearer! When I was finally done, my skin was clear! I was so excited!! I even recommend Accutane to one of my friends and her face turned out great as well. I took Accutane back in 2009 and I'm now 22 years old and my face still looks fantastic! I highly recommend Accutane to anyone who is struggling with acne, it works!"

Selenaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started getting bad acne in my sophomore year of high school and it got progressively worst. I was at the point of depression and anxiety didn't know what to do. I took proactiv and retin A but none of it helped. Finally when I was 19 I started using accutane and had to get blood samples every month because it was so potent. It worked like magic though and all the bad acne went away and never came back. I experienced no side effects and my face has been clear ever since."

Ant1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am from the UK. I started on 20mg a day and within 11 days my acne had completely cleared. My dosage was then upped to 40mg which caused facial eczema for 6 months (skin blistering etc) not helped by the fact I didn't change my skin care routine straight away. Products I recommend; Lips - Carmex lip balm (liquid) yellow and red tube and inexpensive. The solid lip balms didn't work. For bad 'lip' days I used Cortibalm, which I could only get from EBay Face - Cetaphil gentle skin cleaser followed by Cetaphil moisturising lotion. For bad eczema patches I used Bepanthen nappy rash ointment (the only product that worked) I now have perfect skin for the first time in 30 years."

Catherine_Co January 7, 2017