User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Rosacea 8 reviews 102 medications

8.4
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 595 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son started zanatane 5 months ago after trying EVERYTHING else. This is the ONLY thing that has cleared his skin (took almost 5 months) His Dr started him off w/ 20 mg twice a day..now he is taking 60 MG twice a day. To those complaining about side effects...his Dr stated he must take this w/high fat foods...peanuts, peanut butter, bacon, etc.(2 help absorb the med) His 1st 2 blood tests came back a little high so she did not up his dosage. He ate more fat when taking the pills (few scoops pb)& now on higher dose his counts are good. Do not listen 2 scary stories about this med. His Dr said she has been prescribing for 12 yes & NEVER had a bad side effect reported (other than dry skin, lips). Wish he went on this sooner (18 yrsold)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "not worth it"

Anonymous September 22, 2016

For Acne: "I started taking these tablets about 1 month ago, and so far my forehead has begun to clear up but my face and my lips are really dry! I hate it especially because I'm only 15 and everyone at school ask me why I've got chapped lips... I hate it! But I guess it will be worth it! I can't wait to have clear skin although my scarring will still be there:("

Kiraaa (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

For Acne: "Accutane for me started very badly. My skin would constantly itch to the point where I could not sleep and it became unbearable. However this only lasted for the first month then after that my skin starter get getting clearer. 4 months into the treatment my skin was flawless, not one spot or even bump was to be seen and my skin was very dry. Also I did not experience dry lips."

Lucy Bennett (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I actually miss taking Accutane. I finally decided to take it after years of bad cystic acne and nothing else working. It took about a month to start working but I was only on 20mg a day. It was a Godsend. Despite being on such a low dose of it (I think the average is 40mg a day), accutane worked wonders. The only side effects I had were dry lips and dry skin, both of which were worse in the winter (Thanks Chicago). Since going off it, I get little pimples again and my oily skin and hair came back. I wish I was still on Accutane because it was nice not having oily skin lol."

AccutaneWasGreat September 12, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I will just say, I had a horrible acne.. And it didn't make it any better that I was super sensitive to fake hormones; birth control. I couldn't and still can't take it because I have a rare side effect to it that causes cystic acne.. I didn't figure this out until after the damage was done, unfortunately.. I was extremely desperate, because I tried everything known to mankind before birth control. I even tried 4 different antibiotics and only one worked, but I ended up relapsing before my year time frame was up. I was in a huge and not to mention horrible, predicament.. So, my last resort being Accutane- was the best decision I ever made. The only thing I will harshly complain about is around the fifth month I started having hair thinning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It took me 15 years of horrible struggles with all types of acne. Cysts, whiteheads, blackheads - everything. My dermatologist had put me on antibiotics which never worked. I got depressed and didn't even want anyone to see my face and lost a lot of confidence. Acutane has been the only thing that clears my skin and even made me feel younger."

alija September 5, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I went on Accutane 25 years ago for mild acne. As a young woman you do not want to be worried about pimples on your face. I went on the standard dose - 40mg a day. I had mild dry lips - buy Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour lip cream it's great. My skin afterwards was amazing and I did not have a pimple for 20 years afterwards. Just people raving about how perfect my skin was. I'm now 46 and in excellent health so for me there are no long term effects at all. Don't believe the horror stories on the Internet by people with an axe to grind. Accutane is the only drug that works for acne and for many people it is a permanent cure. I recommended it to a work colleague with severe cystic acne - now she has perfect skin too and it's changed her life."

Melanie69 September 4, 2016

For Acne: "I had severe acne and nothing worked. I tried this for 3 months and it was worth it. I had side effects to this medications, joint pain and severe dry skin. But I been acne free for almost 2 years."

D.U August 30, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My 16 year old son has had acne- not to the point of scaring but enough to really affect his self esteem. He is now under a specialist and has been taking Accutane for about 3-4 months.40mg per day. After a month or so his skin was even worse and it was quite horrific but now he is nearly clear ! He has always been very moody and I have constantly been worried that he may have depression. He has shown NO signs of being any worse on this medication ! Dry, dry, dry lips is the worst side effect and his self esteem is better."

Nippy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

For Acne: "Ive been taking Epuris (common canadian brand of isotretinoin) for almost 4 weeks so not that long on 40mg (highest dose). I had bad pimples that were sore and inflammed scince i was about 13. throughout my 11th year of school i started to develop cystic acne that spread across my cheeks and jawline that grew to the size of a toonie. Scince starting Epuris my lips and face have been extremely dry. I have joked about getting a free bowl of corn flakes every morning (sorry for the imagery) because skin would flake and peel off in big patches. My cysts got way worse when i started and im yet to see progress. Really hope this medication picks up because school starts in under 2 weeks and i hate the way i look and hate being seen. ;) *help*"

Donny Muscleshirt (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

For Acne: "Taking Accutane/Isotretinoin was the Best Decision I made! I had Moderate acne and very oily skin and now my Face, back, and chest are Clear! My only side effects were dry lips my hair started to thin my last month of treatment. I took it for 5 & 1/2 months, did not see a Dr and bought it off the internet. The Depo shot was my Birth control while taking it. I figured out my own dosage by how much I weighted and I started with 20 mg a day just to get used to it. Then went to 40 mg a day after a month. Then I finished my last 3 months with 60 mg a day, which was the correct dosage for my weight. 130 pounds. I avoided taking Vitamin A and drank plenty of water to help hydrate my skin. The best money I spent as well, compared to the years I spent trying everything else. I was tired of my acne killing my self-esteem, always covering up my chest and back, ashamed to take pictures. I know that depression is a potential symptom, but Taking Isotretinoin brought me nothing but happiness! I started seeing results in the first month. My pores shrank and my oily face and hair dramatically changed too. I have been off the medicine for a month and a half now still No acne at all, like not even one! My hair is back to normal now too, not as oily as it used to be. Overall I would strongly recommend it! But of course do a lot of research to see if it's right for you. But it is possible to take without a Dr. or dermatologist and without taking all the pregnancy & blood tests. Anyway hope this was helpful. Best of luck getting acne free! :D"

Daina.S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It took me awhile to see real results while on Claravis, I even stopped taking it for about 2 weeks at one point because the side effects were too much to handle. The dry/peeling skin resulted in a lot of scarring, and it was extremely difficult to get used to. However, by the 3rd month I had developed a good moisturizing routine that really helped to keep my skin looking healthy. It took a lot longer than I had originally expected, and it took a lot of patience, but I am a week into my 4th month on Claravis and have been acne free for a few weeks now. My dermatologist is saying I may not even need to go the full 6 months because of my great progress. So if you are considering this mediciation for your acne, just be very patient."

Sean O. August 20, 2016

For Acne: "I read all of the reviews which scared me. I even had one of my friends tell me that she went mental on the medication and to not do it. Likewise my beautician also warned me of the side effects saying she felt 10 X older and your skin should be very bad before considering it. I decided to start regardless of the reviews on the basis that I could stop if it all got too much. I am 29 had perfect skin all of my teenage life and gradually into my 20s I was getting huge cystic acne on my chin and cheeks. When one went away and scarred another would form and so the vicious cycle continued. I have had very minimum side effects! Dry lips but seriously not bad at all. Do not believe the reviews! Go on it it will Change your life !!"

Hannie1987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2016

For Acne: "When I was a teenager I suffered from terrible acne and scars. I was put on Accutane and while I was quite moody, it was totally worth it because when I was done my skin was flawless. I was never happier. My skin stayed this way for years until my doctor informed me that the hormone changes during pregnancy were probably the cause for my acne resurfacing. My birth control was helping. It wasn't until I got a blood clot in my chest and was told I could never take birth control again that it got worse. I never realized how much the birth control was helping. My skin got so bad I never wanted to leave the house. I am going back on Accutane in a few days and praying I get the same results I did 15 years ago."

Ready for round 2 August 12, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been on Accutane for 10 months on the higher dosage at 80mg. I've now had to wait two months to get an appointment with my dermotolagist and during these two months my acne is slowly, but surely coming back."

Anonymous August 10, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started having cystic acne at age11. I had it on my face but not as bad as the big sore ozzing cysts on my back and chest and even on my breasts. It was a terrible time for me that followed me into adult hood. I had tried every antibiotic known to man. Every cream, soap and vitamin out there. Finally in 1981 a dermatologist recommended Accurate. This was the brand name one. Generics weren't so popular then. It worked wonders! I couldn't believe that I could be acne free. I still had and still do have bad scarring but no pimples or cyst s. I took it for 6 months. I was great for about 11yrs. I then developed hidradenitis on my inner thighs and stomach and breasts. I then was prescribed generic accurate. It didn't help that condition at all"

zeedogg August 8, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This medication has given me a love hate for it, I had horrible cystic acne all over my face neck shoulders chest and back! I have been on the medication 3 weeks now and have seen a drastic improvement! I have tried other medications that yielded no results at all. If you want to start taking this medication for your acne I recommend it but be warned the side effects are nasty! I have the worst joint pain in my feet and ankles every morning and it last for a few hours also my lips have been very dry and I have been applying way too much carmax. my face has dry spot from where the acne is clearing up and that doesn't look too attractive either. All in all this medication works and you will love the results but the side effects suck"

Zach2787 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Worked for me! Five years of GP prescribed acne treatments did nothing but make me more and more frustrated. I went on accutane, despite being dubious due to the severe side effects I'd read about. Did nothing at first, but gradually after maybe three months, less and less spots were appearing. Now, after 5 months and with 1 more on accutane to go, I have maybe one active spot, compared to a face full. Symptoms: I found it pretty easy. Dry lips were an annoyance, but just got into the habit of always carrying a lip balm. Dry skin was there but resolved by a good moisturiser (cetaphil is good). My main issue was regular nose bleeds, I got one nearly everyday which was very distruptive. This was sorted though by slightly reducing my dose."

Tato chief August 6, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "PROS -completely clear skin after 4 months -during treatment my hair got much less greasy and barely needed washing. However this stopped after i finished my course CONS -dry skin everywhere, although was manageable with a lot of moisturiser and lip balm -eczema on arms, back of knees, and hands -severe back pain lasting the whole duration of the course, couldn't be helped by physiotherapy -(the worst side effect) irritable bowel syndrome. Severe pain while passing stools (to the extent of crying), constipation and blood when I wiped. Was severely debilitating and made me afraid of going to the loo for 4 months SUMMARY - despite the awful side effects, I do not at all regret taking roaccutane even though i only had mild-moderate acne"

17yearsold August 4, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane is amazing for severe acne, I had back acne for around 2 years it wasn't to bad for the first year but then it started to get very bad and embarrassing the second. I was pretty depressed and I tried everything, So I did some research on some medication. That's when I was told about accutane. I knew about the risks but I needed to have my confidence back so I decided to start it. The first month nothing happened, Second Month Little bit of a change, and the third month was incerdible, I only had allitle bit of pimples on my back but mostly just scars. I am going on my fourth month soon and I hope that I will perfectly clear. My side effects were dry skin on my face and chapped lips and that is it. No depression."

Benjieeeee August 2, 2016

For Acne: "Suffered with cystic hormonal acne for 10 years. Pros: Cleared my skin. Side effects wore off about a month post-accutane Cons: dry eyes, dry lips, lower back pain, ankle pain, fatigue, sun sensitivity Due to some of the side effects, I had to go easy at the gym, give up hiking for a few months, or anything related to physical activity or sun. All side effects are manageable. You go in expecting the worse, but it isn't as bad as some make it sound. I was on 60mg a day for 5 months. I recommend it if you've been battling acne for years. I have good health insurance, listed is what I paid/copayment. Doctor: $30 co-pay (w/o insurance $160) Drug: $15 co-pay (w/o insurance $500-700) Labs: $20 co-pay (w/o insurance $500-700)"

Used it for hormonal acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been taking Oratane (off-brand Accutane) for nearly 6 months now. My dosage was 20mg during the first month, and then 40mg for the remainder of my cycle. I'm a 24 year old male (I was 23 when I began taking the drug) with mild (but irritating) facial acne and moderate acne on my upper back. I found that my acne cleared up towards my second month of treatment. The only side effects I've encountered are dryness - dry lips being the main one, but easily remedied with chap stick. My skin (particularly on my face) and eyes also occasionally get dry, these can be tackled with moisturizer and eye drops. Aside from that, everything has been smooth sailing. I recommend accutane to anyone with severe acne, or stubborn acne that won't go away."

Xevon July 29, 2016

For Acne: "I am 25 and have had acne for 10 years and since I worked maybe because of stress it had become really bad. I decided at 23 to try Roacutane who is supposed to end acne forever. After a year of hard treatment I was having almost no acne but was left with lot of redness.I was told this would take a least one more year after end of treatment to get better. It barely got better, the acne is now coming back. And each time I have a new pimple it leaves a new mark and takes forever to heal. My skin is never clear and nice and I can never stop using make up :( I wish I had never done the treatment. Now not only i have acne, but also marks, redness and scars. ITs terrible what it did. :( I m wondering if I should try contraception."

Julie11 July 26, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I'm a 24 y/o female that had been dealing with mild acne four about a decade (rarely cystic). I've been on Accutane for about a month and a half and my face is almost perfect. It's done wonders for my confidence - I can even go out without makeup now. The only side effect I have is severely chapped lips (like, SEVERELY) - BUT - the risk far outweighs the results. I have recommended this medication to so many people."

67452451 July 25, 2016