User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 679 reviews 562 medications

8.4
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 690 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This drug is dangerous. I am a healthy 22 year old guy. Around 2.5 months into a six month course of 60mg/day roaccutane I developed severe depression, anxiety and psychosis. I have no family history of mental illness and had never been depressed in my life before this. Everything caused me to panic, I couldn't leave the house or even talk to my parents. It felt like the drug had taken control of my mind. I shook uncontrollably and couldn't eat or sleep. For a week after stopping, I could barely function without breaking down. This drug will improve your skin, but trust me, its not worth it, however desperate you feel. Think carefully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I'm a 20 year old with severe acne on my face. I took 40 mg for the first two months and am currently on 60 mg. I am on my third month and am starting to see great results. Some of the side effects that I've had are very dry skin near my mouth and nose, chapped lips (especially on the corners), and sore shoulders. (All of which I've found relief for, thankfully. Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion for my skin, Vaseline for my lips, and the occasional Advil for when I am sore). I still have a few cysts on my jaw and lower cheek but they are slowly disappearing. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and scarring from years of severe acne but I am hopeful. This medication is very expensive but I really feel like it has been worth it."

eridiium (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I struggled with Acne since the age of 12 around the time I went into puberty, but found it worsened in my early to mid 20's. I am light to medium skin tones and would usually get breakouts that would fluctuate weekly causing dark blemished after break outs on my face, shoulders and back. I started the treatment in mid June, taking 20mg every day. During this first month I broke out in a rash, and was advised by nurse that this was common. The second month my dosage increased to 40mg daily, which remained the dosage throughout my treatment. My course was for 6 months and finished in December. I have been off Isotretinoin for 6 months and have had ZERO break outs, my entire skin has also completely cleared of spots."

Emily Mcknelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Suffered from very mild acne since 17. Odd breakouts around period.No acne during pregnancies. Getting worse over years. Just had a baby and skin was perfect for a few days then woke up with 100+ tiny bumps on face. Thought they'd disappear but decided to become infected. Just started taking drug (30mg as already depressed about skin condition) day 8 and have had massive cystic spots (3) on face but are drying up quite quick. The most annoying thing is these tiny white heads I keep getting around my mouth-edge of lips. I cant help but pop them as they look really disgusting. Using Cetaphil products and aloe lotion for dryness a week before starting treatment so dryness hasn't really been an issue so far. Hope this works and gets rid of tiny bumps"

Note Worthy (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Before I say anything about this medication I want to state it is a very expensive process. I knew this is where I would end up but my dermatologist literally had to try every other option first, none but one worked yet the side effects were so bad I had to stop. I am the person who always get the side effects that people rarely get, that is another reason I am writing this review. I have the dry lips like everyone else, I'm using all the stuff my dermatologist told me to use but they still crack a lot & bleed.. not the worst since my skin is clearing up. Worse part is I get migraines & this seems to make them worse with visuals. I hate to read all the reviews on here saying acne comes back, I will be sure to come back & review how I end up"

SomeoneElseFl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Do not take this drug. It cleared up my acne, but it destroyed my mind. I became severely depressed. I've never had depression before. I would cry all the time. I began having severe panic attacks. It felt like I lost my mind for those 6 to 7 months. It was the darkest place I have ever been in my life. After stopping the medication the damage was done. The depression went away after about 6 months. But I continued to have anxiety issues, heart problems, and social anxiety. I took this medication 7 years ago. And it wasn't until about 2 or 3 years ago where I finally started feeling somewhat normal again. It caused anger spells and just does so much damage to your brain and you can't control your emotion"

cavzjm June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've only been on Absorica for a month now, but it's been great so far. I do have side effects... mostly itchy, itchy scalp- selsun blue shampoo works great. Plus conditioned and "it's a 10" leave in conditioner all together seems to relieve it almost completely! Semi-dry skin.. nothing some lotion won't fix. My lips are the absolute worst though. Soooo dry and sensitive! I use aquaphor and vaniply ointment (available at derm) and they help... but please trust me when I say to order some "Dr. Dan's CortiBalm" this stuff is a LIFESAVER! Other than that, wash with Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, use Cetaphil gentle skin moisturizer, Cetaphil night time cream @ night only-super oily. Also, definitely get Eucerin redness relief day lotion!"

Em R (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "(2017) completely cleared my skin. I've had acne since I was 15 and I'm now 26. I did 6 month course. Side effects- dry lips, dry skin and hair. I took 40mg daily. It certainly did wonders and I am very satisfied!"

lucas2127 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My mother had severe cystic acne 10 yrs though she was a beautiful 29 year old bride in 1957. It is an INHERITED skin disease! I was first of 3 boys and got severe acne that was incurable from my mid teens through to my marriage in 1985. Embarrassing psychologically and emotionally because I felt ugly growing up and afraid to ask girls on dates. Early in career & marriage Accutane was brought to market and attention of my dermatologist who prescribed it for about a year - no guarantee as new drug. 100% success and it cured my dastardly acne! No significant side effects. Our son got the family skin disease & we had doctor prescribe Accutane which cured his cystic acne too. Thank u Accutane"

The Canadian Donald (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "had good skin until 20 years old, college had me stressed so I started getting hormonal acne on my cheeks esp my jaw. I was absolutely devastated, I would cry when I looked at my face in the mirror. I tried everything, just like everybody else here nothing worked. I never wrote a review before, but this medication gave me my life back. My skin starting clearing up immediately, like 2 weeks. 40mg 2 months then 60mg. After my 3rd month my face is 100% clear, don't get a single pimple even if I sleep in my makeup. Only side effect I have is the most chapped lips are ever but i'll take it. I wanna run up to every person I see in the street with acne on their face and recommend this medication. if acne is ruining your life please try this."

loo46831 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took the max dosage for this drug for 6 months (I had bad cystic acne.) The main side effect I had was dryness. Everything was so dry (lips, mouth, nose) light nose bleeds. However it was very minimal. I did experience a lot of hairloss and it's continuing. One thing that surprised me: I had history of depression and was worried about it bringing it back. However I actually noticed an improved mood. I wonder if this is because I had a vitamin A deficiency which zentane is derived from. Overall great experience. Acne free except for occasional ones that dry up fast. Keep in mind some things: your acne might get worse before it gets better, keep your doctor updated with side effects."

AlexAlva June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Great so far after finishing my 6-month cycle. After about 2 1/2 months after starting to take it my face acne was gone , and my back acne was all gone at about 5 to 6 months, lots of scars though. Considering my back was terrible. When I stopped I thought it would come back but it did not, for now... I really hope it doesn't... My skin was very dry but nothing I couldn't handle lots of lip chap and face moisturizer, the only side effect was a red face, that I still have now after 2 months of stopping it. Other than that it was great to me. Hopefully, I can keep saying that in the future."

Max_12345 June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took accutane for about 6 months, on the 5th month I noticed significant changes to my skin. By the end of the 6th month my face was completely clear and I was only left with scarring. It has been 3 and a half year since I have taken accutane, I can say with certainty that it was the best decision I made for my skin, even my scarring has almost disappeared. After my acne cleared up I was more confident and didn't even feel the need to wear any makeup like I did prior to this medication. The only bad side effect I got from this drug was extremely dry/chapped lips and skin, to the point where my lips would bleed from dryness. I would suggest putting a heavy moisturiser and chapstick on every day."

hs1 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Amnesteem (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I used Claravis for my first course and everything went well. The side effects that I remember were extremely chapped/dry lips, dry skin, dry hair (which I didn't have to wash for a week), joint pain, headaches. I repeated the treatment because some acne was reappearing but nothing compared to the begining so I took a much lower dose. The second course was with Amnesteem (because it was the one available at Walgreens in that moment) and everything was going well until my liver enzymes were elevating each month and I had to stop the medicine. When I recovered, I went back to Claravis and liver enzymes got normalized. My doctor said that he experienced the same side effect with other patients."

mariiee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I just turned 22 and I took a course of Clarus back in high school when I was 15/16. In terms of REDUCING acne it worked very well. I used to have severe acne with large cysts mainly on my back and face. To this day I still get acne, occasionally small-medium cysts, so it didn't make me acne free. This medication can be very destructive to some, including myself in that It made me very depressed throughout high school and up until maybe a year or two ago. I have chronic dry nose problems, often blood in my kleenex due to this. I'm also left with permanent scars all along my face and back from how severe the swelling is in the first few months. Overall it got rid of my bad acne but left me with horrible side effects that Im left to deal with"

danny19273 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Miracle. Period. I had ZERO side effects and I feel so much better I can't even describe the feeling of relief. This medicine literally saved my life and I would take it again. I wish I could take it every day because it made my skin look AMAZING. I haven't had a SINGLE pimple or cyst since I finished this. I used to have cysts so huge they would turn my skin purple. I have horrendous scars all over my face from the damage. But now? It's getting better and I feel like a new person. Thank you!"

ChaseAdamz96 May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've suffered from moderate to severe acne since I was 12 and am now 23 almost 24. I tried everything under the sun and some things temporarily helped but most did not. After about 4 years on no specific treatment, I had enough and my dermatologist recommended this medication. I've only been on it for a week but WOW! The results have already begun, I'm getting compliments on how my skin looks clearer and smoother already. The only side effects so far would be dry skin and lips but I carry Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer and DR.Dan's cortibalm. Both have been amazing and I don't even notice the dryness honestly. Highly recommend trying this medication. Fingers crossed things only get better from here."

Massholewithclass May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I want to thank the people responsible for the creation and distribution of this product! I am so so so happy and satisfied. I want to share my story with the world. I want to show my pictures of my results to everyone! This products is a true blessing and I do not regret taking a single pill. My skin looks fabulous! Thank you!"

SharneO1996 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was so scared to take Accutane due to all of the experiences with initial breakouts and dry lips/skin. I've just began my third month and could not be happier. After the first month, I had stopped getting active acne and from then on, my skin has just been post-inflammatory acne scars that get less red day by day. My skin is no where near perfect, but the difference between what it is now and what it was pre-accutane is EXTRAORDINARY. I thankfully experienced no initial breakout. In fact, after just a week my skin had started clearing. My skin has not been dry at all- I've had no problems with dry lips or dry skin (I do apply aquafor generously throughout the day and moisturize twice a day) My treatment is Absorbica 40mg daily"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Helped with acne, although not the "miracle" we hoped for. However, he did experience severe psych issues at month #4. A college kid with absolutely no previous psych issues , became very depressed. No specific incidents or issues occurred, just a depression over nothing. Tears and sadness with no links to anything. Couldn't eat or sleep.We immediately stopped."

BW Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have cystic acne that started January 2017. After 2 rounds of different antibiotics, on March 27, 2017, I finally was started isotretinoin. For 2 weeks, my cystic acne looked the same, bleeding, oozing with pus. By the 3rd week, I had few episodes of nose bleeding. I had to carry packs of wet wipes around. At the end of 3rd week, the pus disappeared & about 1/4 cleared. By 4th week, scabs have formed with no bleeding nor pus. Just redness & scabs. I have 5 more months to go. Moisturize. Moisturize."

KPAC1 April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've had horrible cyst acne for years started taking accutane 3 months ago am completely clear now. Bad points joint pain dry skin and lips Get yourself blistex relief cream works wonders for your lips"

Mellor99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had acne breakout since I was 13 and I started the medicine at the age or 23. In the six month process I had 10 mg to 50 mg intake which gradually was increased per month by my dermatologist...I would advise to take the medicine in guidelines of a doctor as he will help to minimize the side effects of the drug also will fix the maximum dose depending on the condition of the skin....I myself don't have any side effects at all only dry lips...But a good lip balm helped me through"

Dr.amber (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have had acne since I was 13. It has severely affected my life and has always given me zero confidence. I am now 57 and have tried every antibiotic, facial treatments, creams, washes that are out there. Finally I went to a dermatologist that actually heard me and how upset I was and put me on Claravis. The first three weeks the medication is pushing everything out of your pores - so you do have to go through that. After the third week my skin became entirely CLEAR! I was amazed and sooo happy. It has stayed clear ever since and I am one month off of it - I was on it for 5 months. The only side effect I had was extremely dry lips, nosebleeds and dry skin. It has changed my life! Wish someone had put me on it when I was 15. Try It!"

better57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "stuff sucks for the 1st 4 months but after the 6th month I went from 50 pimples to 0, been off of it for a year and maybe one odd break out a month .. dry lips,dry eyes and stay out of the sun"

adam33 April 21, 2017