User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare

Acne
8.3

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 9.1 721 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Along with braces for my teeth, accutane was one of the best things I’ve ever done. At the age of 12, I started to have severe acne and serious breakouts that would never go away, no matter what I tried, no matter what topical medications I was prescribed. Finally, at 14, I was prescribed accutane, and I have to say, it was truly life changing. I did experience a rash-type skin response, along with sensitivity for the first week or so. After that, my skin became very dry. It was slightly annoying because I felt like a snake, as much as my skin was dry and sloughing off, but it was 1,000% worth it. Here I am now I’m my 20s and my skin is so clear and beautiful. I receive compliments all the time! Accutane was a life saver."

Natalie DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My experience with accutane was for the most part very positive. I suffered from breakouts on my forehead that wouldn’t go away no matter what I tried. I had taken various kinds of birth control over the years to help with my break outs but by the age of 20 it wasn’t helping with my acne at all anymore. The first week or so of taking accutane I got what looked to be a rash on my whole face that was hot to the touch and sore. I felt like I had alligator skin! The rash went away though within a week or two and then the dry skin started but it was nothing I couldn’t keep on top of. I used a vitamin e cream to keep it hydrated. I only did one round of medication and it seemed to do the trick. The dry skin is so worth it!!! My skin is beautiful!"

Accutane girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Well. This medicine was on point for my skin. I didn't have severe acne but my skin wasn't smooth as well. I had quite a low self esteem and depression before so it didn't really affect me mentally. Of course my skin was terrible in the first 2 weeks but wow. it was worth it ! I can't tell you how amazing this thing is. I'm 18 now and I am just like those kids that I used to hate because they had nice skin "

Mike True (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I first had acne at the age of 12 and I thought nothing of my appearance and I was just a kid - you know I just didn't care of what other people thought. But then at the age of 14/15 I began to compare my skin to peers and I absolutely HATED what I saw in the mirror. I had awful acne the doctor even said "the most severe he has come across" because not only did i have it on my face and neck it was also down my back. So at the age of 15 I was finally put on roacutane! and I have to say I will never take my clear skin for granted it's the best thing I have EVER done! During the process I got extremely dry lips but it's all worth it in the end! It's life changing.. RECOMMEND TO ANYBODY!!"

emilyeakers (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "Just over a month in....very low dose (10mg) for Sebaceous Hyperplasia and Rosacea but appears to be working! Tried umpteen other lotions and potions and nothing worked then this medication. My specialist is insisting on blood tests to keep an eye on my liver and cholesterol so fingers crossed the first tests come back positive. Dry lips and some dry skin on my body but making sure to use lip balm and moisturizing lotion after showers. Minor headaches and minimal joint pain but no nose bleeds or other symptoms. My skin is starting to look more 'normal' again and my hair glorious after years of greasy misery. Fingers crossed things continue to improve "

Janeybett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "consumed 10mg for first 3 months, then went on 20mg for 4months, and at the moment on 5th month (of 20mg) and will have to do the same for one more month, then my doctor will tell me if I should stop or still take the medicine. Overall really great, I had terrible acne, no acne now whatsoever, actually really relieves, don't hesitate, use it. Most people who rate it negatively, most likely take the drugs in the wrong way or it just doesn't work for them. It really does wonders. 7months and my acne is almost gone (few spots on my back and no spots left on my face, new spots come out once 2 weeks but that’s because of my job which is very stressful)"

777amazing October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am a 21 year old female and cannot express how happy I am to have used Accutane! I have recommended it to so many people and would say it is totally worth it. I was on it for 7 months with monthly visits to the doctor for blood work and labs and follow ups that are required but every monthly visit was totally worth it, I have clear skin and it even shrunk my pores and I don't have oily skin anymore. This has given me so much confidence. The side effects sound scary but I only noticed dry lips from the decrease in oil production and dry scalp for the first couple days. Your body adjusts. If you are thinking about this, do it. You won't regret it."

Brooke S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane made my life better!!! I went on it twice, the first time didn’t really have an effect, but the second time worked. I have been off of it for several months and my face has no zits or blemishes. I still have scarring though but it is going away over time. The dry skin and lips is all worth it in the end."

sarah99981 September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I read all the negative reviews out there before taking this medicine. Of course I was scared out my mind after reading some of the stories but I can tell you, you'll be fine. I've had dry lips and skin but besides that, just a clear face so far. (3 months in)"

Frank__ September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been taking claravis for 3 months and have had significant improvement in my adult cystic acne. I was VERY worried about side effects. I definitely have dry, chapped lips and my cholesterol has gone up. My skin/hair isn't dry, but, I normally have very greasy skin/hair. My olive skin wasn't that sun sensitive, I still took precautions at the beach (sunblock, hats, umbrellas). Per my DR: Supplements (including protein powder) & OTC drugs that are processed by your liver/kidneys are to be avoided. My DR told me to check with them before taking other medication. Side effects are real but very manageable. This drug really works! Stay hydrated, moisturize, and carry aquaphor for chapped lips!"

Britt1209 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Best experience ever. Is this how the normal population lives? For the first time in my life my skin isn't greasy and my hair isn't oily. I would have to wash my hair everyday and it was always frizzy. I wash my hair once a week now and I don't even bother wearing makeup. I will be so sad to return to my old greasy self. I take 30mg 2x a day. I was religious about everything for the first 2 months until I went a little crazy. It was summer and I was miserable with the sun rash and being itchy. After that I would cut back to 1 a day when it got too itchy and too dry. I would love to take 2 pills a week forever!"

Rebezim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "The drug is no doubt very effective in clearing acne . But you cannot avoid the 2nd time break outs which may come after 2-3 years and that will be the worst break out because accutane lowers your immunity and it cannot fight against the breakouts next time. Also accutane has got lots of side effects and it risks your life to lots of health issues and it can destroy your life forever. It is the worst drug ever to have. I urge to people who are reading this review to please not to consume this drug and please warn your friends, relatives, near and dear ones not to consume this drug. Your life is more important than anything else. If you want to survive and have a healthy life . "

Maitrayee September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My acne was cleared. Extreme depression began."

tc2213 September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I didn't get acne until I was 18 and did every diet, cleanser, spot treatment out there for about 6 years. I ended up SO depressed with horrible hormonal acne on my chin/chest and was losing the battle. I was always against accutane because the horrible side effects associated with it. My chest cleared up by the first month. The results are AMAZING and I finally feel like I'm thriving rather than hiding behind thick coats of makeup and high cut shirts. So, its a really complicated process to even start the whole accutane journey. You have to get your blood drawn once a month and women HAVE to be on birth control. Its very expensive and your skin will completely dry out but worth it. Drink lots of water, eat healthy & aquaphor. WORTH IT!!!"

Fwwwwwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Hey guys, I just got on accutane after 3 years of cystic, red dot acne on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. My acne isn't severe, but it's enough to make me lose confidence in my appearance. I tried everything (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, oral medication, tazarotene, washing face regularly, etc.) but it never led to long term improvement. Only the benzoyl peroxide provided temporary improvement but never really got my face to where I wanted it to be: 100% clear from my acne. I have been taking accutane for 8 days now and I can see that my face is already improving. I have not experienced any major side effects yet. However, can feel my lips are starting to get dry, but I have Aquaphor to take care of that. So far so good!"

Gucci 'tane (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Medication works great! But I got severe joint pain all over my body especially on my feet! It got soo bad I couldn't walk! I had no choice but to stop I only took it for 1-1/2 months. It's been 3 months since I've stopped taking it and my feet are back to normal I can walk again! And I haven't had an acne breakout yet!"

Eaea September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Rosacea: "I'm 70 years old with rosacea; redness, tiny white bumps, pimples that just don't clear up. To take a step back, I was on Accutance for over 10 years, starting in 2002, with adult acne issues and it helped clear up the condition and improve my life. Now I have this rosacea condition; very depressing. Just started to take 10mg Accutane 2 days ago and condition is worse already. Going to stick with Accutane as I did in the past and hopefully it will help me once again! My best to all who suffer with rosacea!"

RichZahava September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "The drug is honestly a hit or miss. It worked wonders for my brother who had severe acne; he has had only a few pimples since his first and only cycle ended over a year ago. However, I did not have such results. My face was clear for about 2 months following my first treatment and then it turned briskly into a battlefield again. I am now on my second cycle, at month 3, and acne is still everywhere. It's a cursed life, my friends."

LordForthwind August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Contrary to what a subject said , claiming this medicine got him depressed, I would say that my life BEFORE it was of depression, loneliness, extremely low self-esteem and self-worth. After I started taking it, my hopes were raised up. The results were amazing just after one month. Unfortunately I had to redo the treatment. Today I still take one box or two now and then. Had it not been for this medicine, my face skin would be now badly damaged and I'd still be covered in grade 3 and even grade 4 acne. My life, I don't even want to think about what it would be like now if I hadn't done these treatments. I do recommend Roacutan. Endure the side effects no matter how harsh they may be in your body. It will pay off eventually."

RobertoBrasil August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Going on isotretinoin is a hard choice—there is the possibility of rare but seriously harmful side effects. BUT acne was affecting my life and social outings severely. Fortunately, the only side effect I've experienced is extremely chapped lips/skin, besides purging at the start. One day without some sort of lip ointment (I recommend the godsend known as Aquaphor) and your lips are flakier than a croissant. On my 5th month now and my skin looks amazing (I have no bumps/pustules, just some hyperpigmented spots). Even though there’s still time for things to go south, I just wanted to chime in my positive experience. For me, it has been 110% worth it. All I can say is don’t feel pressured into taking isotretinoin, but you shouldn’t be afraid to try it."

Grateful for this drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've taken this medicine 3 yrs before, completed the course and I was free of acne as well. But again I'm suffering now!!! What can I do now?? "

Koyee_krish August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started getting acne as soon as I hit puberty(age 12, 6th grade). My acne continued to get worse all throughout middle school. I went to see a dermatologist and he prescribed me many prescriptions that would work for a little while but acne would come right back. Fast forward to age 23 I have the same derm since I was 12. He prescribed me accutane as a last resort. Although I did not like it for the 6 months I was on it b/c of the dryness it caused, I love that my skin has finally been acne free/blemish free. I stopped taking accutane in Jan 2017. I'm just hoping I don't have to go through that acne stage that I had in middle school ever again. Cons is that I still have dryness/eczema on hands kinda hard to get rid of that :/"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Okay, first off I will say that this medication is not (at least for me) an instant cure. It's a process, and in the meantime it's a very hard process. While checking your face every day for results you will experience: dryness in your face, hands, lips, eyes, nose (which causes nosebleeds let me tell you), your makeup will not sit right on your face so don't even bother wearing any, you will break out worse at first before you start to see it clearing up, you will feel like it isn't working, you'll get upset, want to stop, but then- when your six months are almost up it's like your skin is perfect. I went from severe, cystic acne - to not having even one zit on my face. I can finally go without makeup for once in my life."

BriannaZalew August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This medicine nearly finished with my life. I got so depressed and lost and the experience was horrendous! Do not take this medicine - your skin will improve but believe me it will cause you severe depression and mental illness. Is not worthy! Trust me. You become completely severely depressed."

Is no worthy!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had severe acne when I was in my early teens, I tried different types of antibiotics, retin A, duac and more before finally trying Accutane. I started taking it at 15 years old and was on 40 mg for seven months . It was a MIRACLE. My skin was 100% clear after one month and after seven months scarring was gone too. My skin stayed PERFECT for five years! Around 6 months ago acne started coming back though nothing like what it was before. I am now on my second day of 10mg of accutane since I have very very mild acne. I am so used to perfect skin that even the tiniest pimple can really upset me. Either way accutane changed my life. Highly recommend!!!!!"

Danielle1210020 August 10, 2017