User Reviews for Isotretinoin

7.8

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 8.2 862 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Frank September 12, 2019

For Rosacea: "Doctor said I should take 20 mg isotretinoin per day (low dose) for my rosacea already after 3 days I could feel my face go red hot and itchy. Not really the start I was hoping for, but at the same time I could actually see improvements especially when it comes to my enlarged sebaceous glands. My condition is mild redness on the cheeks "mild" acne/rosacea in the T-zone and enlarged sebaceous glands in my forehead I've been on this only for total of 1.5 weeks, and Ican tell it makes a difference, already with the enlarged sebaceous glands they actually is already closing.. My cheeks are more red, but my "acne/rosacea" is not breaking out more.. the first 2-3 days I got a few new ones but they went away faster then ever. I will update along the way No side effect yet Before this I've tried Finacea , doxycycline, Soolantra , Metronidazole cream , tetracycline , Ery-max. IPL-laser, clindamycin cream, eating paleo diet for a year, I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, Oh yeah all home remedies in the world :)"

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2019

For Rosacea: "I've suffered with Rosacea for a few years and I've tried, without success, different topical lotions prescribed by my dermatologist until he finally suggested isotretinoin. I was on this medication in the past for acne and it did wonders clearing that problem up, so I knew what to expect in terms of potential side effects. I'm so happy I went back on isotretinoin for my Rosacea. It has been a life (and confidence) saver! This is such a horrible condition that really effects a person's confidence level, so I am happy to be my normal self again! The side effects for me have been minimal...dry lips and some (very) minor headaches. Nothing that ibuprofen can't cure. I am taking 10 mg once per day and it seems to be sufficient to keep the problem at bay. I moisturize my face well, and always have vaseline with me for my lips, and this seems to do the trick for the dryness. I'm very happy with my results!"

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 7, 2019

Myorisan (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Freshman year of college I broke out pretty bad. I really hated it and I would even go days without looking myself in the mirror. When summer came around I tried Retina-A but that only helped a little. When I got on Myorisan prescribed, I started at 60mg a day (I weigh 140lbs). Then after two months I went up to 80mg per day for the last 3 months. I gotta say it cleared my face up and I can’t thank it enough. It really helped me and even tho it takes some time it’s well worth the wait. I did have side effects like dryness, dry lips, dry scalp, and a little constipation. But other than that it was good. Now I’m on Microretina-a to help even my skin tone and texture."

Ginger September 4, 2019

For Acne: "I'm 27 and my acne was mainly cystic, had been ongoing for years. I started isotretinoin in December of 2018 on 20mg a day. I went up to 40mg a day after the first 6 weeks. I had pretty bad side effects, dry skin and lips, eczema, excessive fatigue and body aches. I stopped taking it in May of 2019 because my skin had pretty much cleared up. It's been three months since I stopped taking it and my skin is beautiful! I get a small pimple here and there, but its surface level and goes away quickly. It's too soon to say if this will be a permanent remission, but so far I have had great results. I do have some scarring from my breakouts while I was on it, which got pretty bad. But overall I would recommend this to anyone who has tried everything else without success. Stick with it even when it gets bad! I thought about stopping when my acne hadn't gotten better after several months, but I'm so glad I didn't because it worked in the end."

amber · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For Acne: "Really effective at clearing skin however make sure to always keep Vaseline near as my lips get significantly dry and I have had the occasional nose bleed from this medication. It also seems to affected my mental state so just be really careful and be honest about your mood when you go to the monthly check ups. On the bright side however, this medicine has cleared my skin so well and has really boosted my self esteem."

lucy · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2019

For Acne: "Isotretinoin really effective for clearing up acne. My body began to clear first within a few months and I’m just waiting for my face to completely clear. HOWEVER I’ve experienced serious side effects to my mental state and although the medication states that it’s rare I’m sure it isn’t that rare. I’ve noticed a drastic change in my mood that is extremely concerning, certain things I’ve thought about and done are not at all good. So please just be careful and mindful when taking this medication it’s seriously damaged my mental state I guess it just depends on each person."

Hannah August 29, 2019

For Acne: "Life changing!!! This medication has awful reviews and in some cases people suffer some truly horrific side effects. However, I had a completely different experience. I did experience some unpleasant side effects such as: extremely dry & sore lips (forever cracking), tiredness, lack of motivation and moodier than usual. But, other than that My skin is perfect!! It’s completely cleared up my acne. I experienced mild acne on the sides of cheeks and it was unbearable at times to leave the house. I felt like everyone was staring at me, it would bleed at night and I was extremely sore! I tried everything. This was the only thing that worked. I was on 40mg daily and then dropped back down to 20mg. Overall, I was taking this medication for six months. I highly recommend to anyone who is thinking on commencing this medication. Just hope my acne does not come back."

PhilR August 26, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I really struggled with Acne in my teens and my twenties, Roaccutane at 27 I took the plunge. I read all the side effects I was due to be on Roaccutane for 4 months but I ended up on it for 6-7 months. Nothing can prepare you for the dry lips and skin. After about 7 days on the treatment my acne just went crazy I was developing 10 new spots an hour, they were coming out so fast my face was now full with more spot than ever, but I had prepared myself for it, the medication was starting to take affect. It was hard being on the medication with dry lips and skin but a small price to pay for good skin. In the last month of the treatment my skin improved 100% people would comment on how clear my skin was. But then about 3 month after I would get the odd spot, but since then I apply a little Duac gel from the doctor once or twice a week and it keeps my skin clear. I am now 39 and my skin is good it has changed my life for the better."

janejames8 August 24, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I struggled with a lot of small acne and redness on my face. The doctors diagnosed me with Keratosis pilaris (KP) on my face, arms, and shoulders (which is not curable). I tried many topicals and home remedies, they all made my face more red and left me feeling helpless. Accutane was my last resort, and mark my words, I wish it were my first. Everything, and I mean everything is gone. No more redness, no more bumps on my face arms or shoulders. Dermatologists just say things sometimes, maybe I didn’t even have KP. This drug works wonders, took me until my senior year to finally use it. Don’t waste your time with acne when you can have beautiful skin. Use this treatment!"

Mushroom · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

For Acne: "I'm on day 15 of isotretinoin tablets 10mg/day. This low dose is great. I'm experiencing no side effects whatsoever, and it already seems to be working on my face. I know the side effects well as I was on a regular dose as a teenager. Most people are being OVERDOSED. For example, in New Zealand it's now common practice to prescribe 10mg/day no matter how severe the acne, and it still works. But with little to no side effects and no "gets worse before it gets better" phase. A recent study carried out in New Zealand found *total acne clearance* in ALL subjects at 10mg - and we're talking severe cystic acne. On another note, I read through all these reviews and I believe most if not all the bad reviews are fake. Isotretinoin has a very high success rate. Consider 10mg per day!"

KimberlyH August 23, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I went through the ups and downs of Accutane so I know the fears of starting this medication with the concoction of good, bad and terrible reviews out there. I give it a 9/10"

this works i swear!! · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

For Acne: "My acne from my back, chest and face have cleared up almost 80% in 3 months on isotretinoin. I am happy with its result and would surely recommend. I have been taking one capsule of isotrteinoin 5 mg every night right after my dinner (so it absorbs more efficiently). I read about it online and decided to try it. Although my skin started peeling off at the first month of dosage and my hair has become too dry but its worth it."

Ron Swanson · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2019

For Acne: "I took 40 mg Epuris (Isotretinoin in Canada) for about a 10 month period. I had mild side effects, which included dry lips, hot flushed face for a short duration throughout the day (half hour), and minor mood swings in the later stages of treatment. The side effects were all manageable. I would recommend the drug to anyone who is suffering from nodular acne. I've been off the drug for 3 months and my skin remains clear as day and much less oily than it was prior to treatment."

Nadia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 19, 2019

For Acne: "I took isotretinoin for 7 months and it completely changed my acne and life! I had acne that appeared after summer and every day was worse and worse. Now I am 3 months after finishing the isotretinoin and I am saying that the results are amazing. I haven’t got a single pimple on my face and body since I stopped it and I am so thankful for it. My skin is smoother every day. I had a lot of problems with my confidence and isotreninoin solved them like magic. I strongly recommend these pills to everyone struggling with acne because side effects like headaches and dry skin are nothing in front of the results."

Dh62 August 19, 2019

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started having acne at age 56. I went through the antibiotic program,. Minocycline, then cephflexin then augmentin which helped but no cure I was put on clavaris 40mg once a day. I did this for 17 days and quit. My ears ring constantly now. I pray everyday the ringing will go away. Be very careful with this stuff. It has helped my acne but I really don't think a patient gets enough education before taking it. It states no supplemental vitamins. Keep me in your prayers and I will say a prayer for those suffering from acne. Use hydrogen peroxide and hibi cleanse."

Sree · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2019

For Acne: "I have had acne since age 12. Now I am 43 years old. I have been to dermatologists before and they gave me cream, gels etc. Only period I did not have pimples was during my pregnancy. I have always had uneven skin tone, irritation, inflammation from pimples and scarring because of picking. I was always embarrassed about my face. Then I started on isotretinoin 20 mg on August 3, 2019 and it is only 15 days and my face is pimple free except for pigmentation from old pimples. Amazing medicine. I feel confident. But lips started becoming dry from the 10 th day of medicine. I am not sure of the side effect from long term use.It is good medication to clear pimples."

j2e · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "So I as many of everyone else here have struggled with severe cystic acne on my face since I was in middle school and a lot of redness. I went to a derm and they prescribed a lot of antibiotics like minocycline, doxycycline, and bactrim all of which did not work. Finally I was prescribed accutane and it has worked pretty well. Although, I am on my 6th month and I do still have scarring and smaller pimples still come. As far as side effects, I get the usual dryness on lips and face, but it isn’t terrible where I can’t handle it. Also I run, and I do get knee and hip pain sometimes, but I could still lower through it. I give it a 7/10 because it did significantly clear my face , but did not get rid of all my acne and scarring."

liv · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Hey all, I am currently coming up on my 13th month of accutane. I was supposed to be done with this medication around month 7 like my dermo have predicted. My dermo from month 7 said that my skin looked great and I had not had any breakouts and yet my dermo continued to keep me on accutane for another 5 months. My skin was clear and I was feeling great but it was a hassle to take 60- 80 mg of accutane everyday. Coming up on this month my acne has gotten SO much worse! I’m breaking out, my face is SO red and my skin is SO dry. I think that my dermo has been keeping me on accutane for too long and the side effects are catching up to me ?! ALSO, if you are debating wether or not to take this I would suggest to take it. You just need to be aware of the side effects and how severe they can be. If you are willing to wake up with dry, cracked, bleeding lips and be in pain for clear skin I would suggest accutane."

Carrier11 · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Rosacea: "Have Rosacea since my early 20s. After 10 years of my doctor acting like I was complaining about nothing I eventually went to a skin specialist who prescribed Rosex. Symptom free for 12 years - when it stopped working. Tried Soolantra, Muravaso, oral antibiotics it was time for Accutane. My Rosacea affects my nose. Very oily skin, occassional spots. general redness and flushing I'm one week in - no side effects. I'm on day 7. The 'gets worse before it gets better' thing hasn't happened yet. Flushing is 70% better. Spots have eased right back - by 70%. General redness down maybe 50%. Oiliness maybe 20% improvement so far. I put off going on this medication out of concern about side-effects. I'm glad I went ahead - Rosacea is a nightmare that was literally ruining my life. I was desperate. Hope the improvements continue."

Laru · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Acne: "I have had acne for the past 10 years and don’t know the exact cause but I think it’s the environmental factor as I moved to another city. I’ve been to numerous dermatologists even one of the top dermatologists in the country, treatments helped only as long as I was taking the medication. As soon as the course was finished and I stopped taking medicine cystic acne used to appear. Being young, I thought, doctors didn’t recommend me any severe medicine. With the passage of time, I gave up and stopped looking for the ways to cure my acne. I came to know about accutane with the help of internet as a last treatment for acne. With hope, I decided to go to a doctor after 4-5 years and he gave me ISOTIN gel (isotretinoin) for a month with antibiotics for 5 days. It was effective as long as I was applying the gel and after my course was completed, abruptly cystic acne begin to came back and it turned out to be like the rest."

Animallover123321 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "AMAZING results!!! I had bad cystic acne for 5 years.Tried antibiotics, retin-A cream, diets and the only thing that worked was accutane. I still have scaring but at least it's healing (finished accutane 2 months ago). I would recommend it but do your research, it can cause serious side affects. Fortunately, I just had the usual dry lips, dry nose and skin, and it went away when I stopped taking the pills."

Hopeful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Rosacea: "My rosacea got progressively worse in my late twenties. After seeing several different dermatologists and trying various medications and topical treatments accutane is the only thing that has worked for me. I started on taking 20mg daily and after approx 4 months gradually reduced to 20mg every 3/4 days. I now hardly ever get any spots at all and my skin condition is 100x better! I know it comes with risks but it has truly been life changing for me personally so far outweighs the other risks. Reducing stress was also a major reducing factor I believe. Although it’s hard not to be in the vicious cycle of stress when you check your face 1000 times a day! I used to spend hours and hours looking at this forum and across the Internet in desperation looking for something that might work and some reassurance from others that I’m not the only one battling this miserable condition. I just hope this helps anyone know they’re not alone!"

KB · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "For the most part had a good experience on Accutane. Started getting bad body acne (mostly back, some chest) around 14-15 and it cleared up by 16. Then it starting happening to my face and was consistently very bad for a couple years. Literally tried everything dermatologist would recommend and buying everything that came on tv (Proactiv, X-out, biore, Burt’s bee’s) benzoyl peroxide just wasn’t working and felt it wasn’t good for my skin. Finally got on accutane and acne cleared up considerably in the 6 months I took it. Took about another year off the drug into college washing with cetaphil (only thing I use now) before I was really happy. Cleared acne and don’t have any scarring. Gave it a 9/10 because it worked for me but was definitely expensive, couldn't really be in the sun for 6 months, and once a month blood draws were drawbacks."

luv2bake · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I have cystic acne…was shocked to learn my doctor recommended accutane. From monthly nose bleeds, to severe dry lips, severe dry skin, scalp, and major joint pain in my feet, upper back, forearm and knees…all which caused me to have a torn meniscus in my knee! So not worth it! I am now struggling to stand/walk and even lying down is just painful. I personally wouldn’t have gone thru this hassle since it made things worse for me. I do have acne scars now more while I was on it…but the redness/flair ups have calmed down during my hormonal monthlys. I don’t see much of a difference. Getting drug filled was a pain since pharmacies don't know how to fill this drug probperly…they don’t check the ipledge first before filling drug so it screws up the status. I am a bit worried about the long term side effects and not even sure if the acne really cured me."

RayBug · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "In high school, I suffered with severe, cystic acne. I had acne on my chest and back as well. I was so insecure with myself. I tried birth control first, along with almost every different type of face wash you can purchase. I tried eating completely clean. I tried EVERYTHING!!! Finally I saw a dermatologist and was prescribed Accutane. This was by far the best decision I ever made! I was on it for 8 months I believe. The first few months your acne will stay the same or get a tiny bit worse however after a few months you’ll start to see it clear up and by the end of it I was completely acne free. This was in 2016, my senior year of high school. It is now 2019 and I am still acne free. Every now and then I will have a breakout or two but that is just life. If you are debating on taking this, I 100% would recommend it. I suffered NO side effects besides chapped lips and dry skin but I managed this by using aquaphor religiously!"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)