User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Learn more about Isotretinoin.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Rosacea 8 reviews 101 medications

8.4
Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 583 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It took me awhile to see real results while on Claravis, I even stopped taking it for about 2 weeks at one point because the side effects were too much to handle. The dry/peeling skin resulted in a lot of scarring, and it was extremely difficult to get used to. However, by the 3rd month I had developed a good moisturizing routine that really helped to keep my skin looking healthy. It took a lot longer than I had originally expected, and it took a lot of patience, but I am a week into my 4th month on Claravis and have been acne free for a few weeks now. My dermatologist is saying I may not even need to go the full 6 months because of my great progress. So if you are considering this mediciation for your acne, just be very patient."

Sean O. August 20, 2016

For Acne: "I read all of the reviews which scared me. I even had one of my friends tell me that she went mental on the medication and to not do it. Likewise my beautician also warned me of the side effects saying she felt 10 X older and your skin should be very bad before considering it. I decided to start regardless of the reviews on the basis that I could stop if it all got too much. I am 29 had perfect skin all of my teenage life and gradually into my 20s I was getting huge cystic acne on my chin and cheeks. When one went away and scarred another would form and so the vicious cycle continued. I have had very minimum side effects! Dry lips but seriously not bad at all. Do not believe the reviews! Go on it it will Change your life !!"

Hannie1987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2016

For Acne: "When I was a teenager I suffered from terrible acne and scars. I was put on Accutane and while I was quite moody, it was totally worth it because when I was done my skin was flawless. I was never happier. My skin stayed this way for years until my doctor informed me that the hormone changes during pregnancy were probably the cause for my acne resurfacing. My birth control was helping. It wasn't until I got a blood clot in my chest and was told I could never take birth control again that it got worse. I never realized how much the birth control was helping. My skin got so bad I never wanted to leave the house. I am going back on Accutane in a few days and praying I get the same results I did 15 years ago."

Ready for round 2 August 12, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been on Accutane for 10 months on the higher dosage at 80mg. I've now had to wait two months to get an appointment with my dermotolagist and during these two months my acne is slowly, but surely coming back."

Anonymous August 10, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started having cystic acne at age11. I had it on my face but not as bad as the big sore ozzing cysts on my back and chest and even on my breasts. It was a terrible time for me that followed me into adult hood. I had tried every antibiotic known to man. Every cream, soap and vitamin out there. Finally in 1981 a dermatologist recommended Accurate. This was the brand name one. Generics weren't so popular then. It worked wonders! I couldn't believe that I could be acne free. I still had and still do have bad scarring but no pimples or cyst s. I took it for 6 months. I was great for about 11yrs. I then developed hidradenitis on my inner thighs and stomach and breasts. I then was prescribed generic accurate. It didn't help that condition at all"

zeedogg August 8, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This medication has given me a love hate for it, I had horrible cystic acne all over my face neck shoulders chest and back! I have been on the medication 3 weeks now and have seen a drastic improvement! I have tried other medications that yielded no results at all. If you want to start taking this medication for your acne I recommend it but be warned the side effects are nasty! I have the worst joint pain in my feet and ankles every morning and it last for a few hours also my lips have been very dry and I have been applying way too much carmax. my face has dry spot from where the acne is clearing up and that doesn't look too attractive either. All in all this medication works and you will love the results but the side effects suck"

Zach2787 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Worked for me! Five years of GP prescribed acne treatments did nothing but make me more and more frustrated. I went on accutane, despite being dubious due to the severe side effects I'd read about. Did nothing at first, but gradually after maybe three months, less and less spots were appearing. Now, after 5 months and with 1 more on accutane to go, I have maybe one active spot, compared to a face full. Symptoms: I found it pretty easy. Dry lips were an annoyance, but just got into the habit of always carrying a lip balm. Dry skin was there but resolved by a good moisturiser (cetaphil is good). My main issue was regular nose bleeds, I got one nearly everyday which was very distruptive. This was sorted though by slightly reducing my dose."

Tato chief August 6, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "PROS -completely clear skin after 4 months -during treatment my hair got much less greasy and barely needed washing. However this stopped after i finished my course CONS -dry skin everywhere, although was manageable with a lot of moisturiser and lip balm -eczema on arms, back of knees, and hands -severe back pain lasting the whole duration of the course, couldn't be helped by physiotherapy -(the worst side effect) irritable bowel syndrome. Severe pain while passing stools (to the extent of crying), constipation and blood when I wiped. Was severely debilitating and made me afraid of going to the loo for 4 months SUMMARY - despite the awful side effects, I do not at all regret taking roaccutane even though i only had mild-moderate acne"

17yearsold August 4, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane is amazing for severe acne, I had back acne for around 2 years it wasn't to bad for the first year but then it started to get very bad and embarrassing the second. I was pretty depressed and I tried everything, So I did some research on some medication. That's when I was told about accutane. I knew about the risks but I needed to have my confidence back so I decided to start it. The first month nothing happened, Second Month Little bit of a change, and the third month was incerdible, I only had allitle bit of pimples on my back but mostly just scars. I am going on my fourth month soon and I hope that I will perfectly clear. My side effects were dry skin on my face and chapped lips and that is it. No depression."

Benjieeeee August 2, 2016

For Acne: "Suffered with cystic hormonal acne for 10 years. Pros: Cleared my skin. Side effects wore off about a month post-accutane Cons: dry eyes, dry lips, lower back pain, ankle pain, fatigue, sun sensitivity Due to some of the side effects, I had to go easy at the gym, give up hiking for a few months, or anything related to physical activity or sun. All side effects are manageable. You go in expecting the worse, but it isn't as bad as some make it sound. I was on 60mg a day for 5 months. I recommend it if you've been battling acne for years. I have good health insurance, listed is what I paid/copayment. Doctor: $30 co-pay (w/o insurance $160) Drug: $15 co-pay (w/o insurance $500-700) Labs: $20 co-pay (w/o insurance $500-700)"

Used it for hormonal acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've been taking Oratane (off-brand Accutane) for nearly 6 months now. My dosage was 20mg during the first month, and then 40mg for the remainder of my cycle. I'm a 24 year old male (I was 23 when I began taking the drug) with mild (but irritating) facial acne and moderate acne on my upper back. I found that my acne cleared up towards my second month of treatment. The only side effects I've encountered are dryness - dry lips being the main one, but easily remedied with chap stick. My skin (particularly on my face) and eyes also occasionally get dry, these can be tackled with moisturizer and eye drops. Aside from that, everything has been smooth sailing. I recommend accutane to anyone with severe acne, or stubborn acne that won't go away."

Xevon July 29, 2016

For Acne: "I am 25 and have had acne for 10 years and since I worked maybe because of stress it had become really bad. I decided at 23 to try Roacutane who is supposed to end acne forever. After a year of hard treatment I was having almost no acne but was left with lot of redness.I was told this would take a least one more year after end of treatment to get better. It barely got better, the acne is now coming back. And each time I have a new pimple it leaves a new mark and takes forever to heal. My skin is never clear and nice and I can never stop using make up :( I wish I had never done the treatment. Now not only i have acne, but also marks, redness and scars. ITs terrible what it did. :( I m wondering if I should try contraception."

Julie11 July 26, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I'm a 24 y/o female that had been dealing with mild acne four about a decade (rarely cystic). I've been on Accutane for about a month and a half and my face is almost perfect. It's done wonders for my confidence - I can even go out without makeup now. The only side effect I have is severely chapped lips (like, SEVERELY) - BUT - the risk far outweighs the results. I have recommended this medication to so many people."

67452451 July 25, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I am a 31 year old single lady and been suffering cystic acne for almost two years. I have tried everything but nothing really works until my dermatologist recommended Acnetrex 50mg 3 months ago. My lips had been very dry but who cares I am now acne free. :))"

Lakshmii (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I wanna start by saying I have battled w acne for years & tried basically everything money could buy - pills to creams, going to specialists doctors, derms, beauty bars, etc. I went off the pill at 27 & thought my acne was done but had the worst flare up ever. Tried spironolactone which helped a tiny bit w oil but it was still so bad. Cysts under the skin, blackheads, acne on my back or chest, it was so embarrassing. I am going on my third month of accutane & it's been a miracle I feel like I could cry. My skin clear/smooth & people tell me I'm glowing. I still have scars all over that will need to heal & my skin can get hella dry--well everything gets dry bc you are super dehydrated but it is DEF WORTH IT."

Briiiii bri July 21, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Not worth it! There are other methods to clear up the infection. Try an antibiotic first. I have had to be on antibiotics for years now to keep the cystic acne manageable. I tried accutane and I regret taking it for the six days that I did. May have issues forever. Now I'm back on a normal antibiotic with zero side effects. Also, I started using a home made scrub my sister in law made me. :) hope this helps."

Mck Jack July 19, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane is working wonders for me. I am an 18 year old male who was skeptical at first because I had literally tried everything to clear up my cystic acne I had on my back and chest. I am now 1 month into my 5 month course and am already seeing a huge improvement. Other then the dry lips, I have no other side effects. Some people say accutane makes them depressed and suicidal, but accutane has actually made me more happy and more energetic then I was. I feel so much more confident about my skin now then I ever have. It's summer, and now I am never wearing a shirt because accutane has made me more confident. Strongly recommend this drug, as it has worked wonders for me so far."

matt23 July 19, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane is the best drug for acne out there today. My experience with it was amazing. I had severe acne all over my face and within a month most of my acne was gone. I would recommend this drug to anyone suffering bad acne."

Matt2015 July 19, 2016

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've suffered from Acne my whole life. Breakouts and black marks. I've tried everything over the counter, I've even tried Proactiv. Absolutely nothing worked for me. My derm described me Claravis. I've been on Claravis for 2 1/2 months and my skin has never looked this good. I Love the outcome so far. It feels good to look in the mirror at pretty, clear skin.. But my lips are terribly dry and my body aches. But that's the side affects of the meds. At least it's not a lifetime thing like my Acne would've been.. I Love my derm for getting me right."

Snooky81 July 14, 2016

For Acne: "I was quite sceptical when taking it at first because I noticed no difference in my skin in months. The whole treatment actually makes your skin and acne worse before it gets better (100% worth it and the only way to cure it). This is completely normal and is just your skin releasing all the horrible greasy toxins to get them out of your system as they cause acne. While on the drug admittedly only the last few months did I see improvement, and I expected instant overnight changes, but in the real world this isn't the case. After I had been discontinued from the drug I was completely cured of my acne a month or so later, with minor scarring which will soon fade! Couldn't ask for more, it's brilliant"

Alister24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

Zenatane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was not sexy. Now I look sexy. This stuff works. (Still on it because it's only been 4 months.)"

Sexy man (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

For Acne: "I've already taken 3 trials of Accutane and I still have acne problems. Most of the litthe ones have gone away but I still get the bumps across my forehead, the large cyst like acne on my cheeks and along my jaw line, as well as the occasional back and chest acne that flares up on occasion. 3 trials and it still hasn't done much for me. I've even considered going back for a 4th because nothing over the counter helps."

Unlucky and Irritated (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "So I've been off accutane now for 4-5 months. My skin is still amazing. I had awful scaring and spots on my arms back chest and face before, my skin is now flawless. My Dermotologist said that once I stopped accutane My face would get inflamed however it didn't. I only get few spots now, only on my face which is great. I've become less paranoid about my body and face. I strongly suggest accutane. All the side effects are worth it. I suffered from awful anxiety which accutane has resolved for me. I feel so happy!"

Tan:) June 30, 2016

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This me's worked wonders for me when I was 24. After years of severe adult acne, this was the only thing that helped. Fast forward to my 40's, I tried 2 courses of Accutane for severely oily skin. When you have skin this oily and finally your makeup looks like velvet matte perfection , it's almost too good to be true. I developed 2 bad side effects that were NOT listed in my booklet. Hair loss and severe dark under eye circles . Nothing else was different in my life except the Accutane. I feel like I traded one issue( and it's only temporary, oil comes back) for two worse issues . I'm devastated. Had I been told this was even a small possibility I would never have done this. was a super fan but not so much now."

JeniLeigh23 June 25, 2016

For Acne: "I have always had acne...nothing crazy up until a year or so ago. Throughout high school and beginning of college I would always have a few pimples but that eventually turned into cystic acne all over my face. I don't know what triggered it. I found it difficult to look at people or hold a conversation with someone w/o feeling like they're staring at my disgusting face. I took a trip to the derm and she took one look at me and said I was a candidate for accutane. I started at 30mg and by my last month (month 7), I was at 90mg. Side effects I had: extremely dry lips (especially the corners of my mouth), back pain, and fatigue...but they were all bearable. I'm blessed to have been on accutane...skin is perfect!"

Ms93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016