User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Acne
8.2

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 8.2 814 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I’ve only been on accutane for a month or so now and plan on updating this once I’ve finished the whole 6 months but... so far I’ve seen a bigggg difference in my skin. I’ve had severe acne for the past 2 years and was on doxycycline before accutane and my face has calmed down a lot, no active acne really mostly scars as of now. I was expecting a big break out (still could happen). The side effects I have gotten are dry skin but it’s not flakey or anything. My lips on the other hand oh my god stock up on chapstick before starting this! very dry and the corners of my mouth have cracked and it is pretty uncomfortable but nothing I can’t handle. If your considering going on accutane I’d recomend it in such a short period of time my skins cleared up drastically it’s amazing. (it’s not the same for everyone)"

oky March 18, 2019

Myorisan (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Prescribed Myorisan 40 milligrams twice a day for 7 months and I am done with my treatment with an acne free and the best skin I’ve ever had. The oil production in my face is normal and all side effects have stopped and I have been off the drug for two weeks. Treatment is tough at first but worth the outcome, do not stop as it gets worse before it gets better , just don’t let that discourage you. Dryness, body aches, is only temporary. Drink lots of water all day, will help so much!"

Texasgirl1982 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was on accutane (roaccutane in Australia) for a year and finished 2 years ago. The tablets were 10mg, I started on 1 every other day for a month, then 1 a day for two months, then 2 a day for six months, back down to 1 a day for two months and then 1 every other day again for the last month. I had an amazing experience, my skin completely cleared up and still is apart from the occasional hormonal pimple. I experienced pretty much no side effects, I had quite oily skin before so my skin pretty much went to normal/slightly dry, nothing severe like flaky peeling skin or anything like that, I just put on my face cream morning and night and there were no issues. As for my lips, they were slightly dry but nothing some lip balm wouldn’t fix, never once did they peel or crack and bleed as I’ve heard from some people. Accutane was the best thing I ever did for my skin and I would do it all over again if I needed to!"

Taylor March 13, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Reading all these horror stories from those who took this medication, I can see how they would scare someone off considering to take Accutane. Speaking as someone who suffered from severe acne in highschool I KNOW the emotional toll it has a persons self esteem. I took accutane for a total of 6 months and to say it has been a LIFE SAVER would be an understatement. 2 years later and no crazy side effects, or third arm growing. These days I get nothing less than a single pimple every now and again. This medication is a life saver if you can take it!"

joy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Starting off, I just want to say that there is A LOT of bad stigma around accutane and most of it is NOT True. Anyways, I was always very timid about accutane as well were my parents were really against it. I'm sure if you're reading this, you've heard some horror stories about this medication. A point to consider is that Accutane most likely does not cause Depression (unless you have a history of mental health issues) in most people. However, having cystic acne can be really hard on people. I felt no fluctuation in my mood, and it honestly changed my life. If you're reading this, you most likely have bad acne. It's important to consider all your options before trying this heavy-hitting drug. It should be only used as a last resort. Spending Hundreds of dollars on BS face creams that don't work, it was really nice to find something that actually worked. Please consult with a professional and don't take advice from Random People on the internet. See if it is right for you. Thanks!"

Sade (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "If you are googling accutane and reading this please be open minded about the medication. My biggest problem was I googled everything before taking it and had my funeral planned. For me accutane has been a life changer!!! I’ve had none of the side effects or anything I read or heard was even true. I didn’t break out more, never got depressed, bones didn’t hurt none of the above! Only clear skin and some dry lips at times. I took 60mg daily for 4 months. I’m 5 foot 105 lbs... they base it off weight. My dermatologist had me try everything under the sun and nothing worked but this. She swore by it and told me 1% of people get all those gnarly side effects and to try it and worse case scenario you stop taking it and we explore other options. I’m telling you, try it!!!! Be open minded and grateful that there is something out there for us pimple oil heads."

Ally (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My sophomore and junior year of high school, I took Accutane for the 6 month period. I took it again my freshman year of college, but for a shorter period of time. My skin was excessively dry, I experienced frequent nosebleeds, and my lips were appalling. As a result of taking Accutane for a total of around 15 months, my health changed and so did my confidence. They warn you of potential side effects, but they refuse to discuss healthier alternatives with you until it’s too late. As a result of this medication, I now experience GI distress and symptoms of Irritible Bowel Syndrome (IBS). I am 20 years old, and I firmly believe this medication is the cause. Despite making lifestyle changes, I still experience horrible episodes of constipation, and my acne has come back worse than before. My confidence is lower, and sometimes I feel hopeless. I am writing this review because I feel passionate about encouraging those considering Accutane not to go through with it. It’s not worth it!"

Liz February 20, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Before starting this medication I had struggled with acne for years, had a history of depression in my teens, had no back pain or joint pain, and I had a full head of hair. Month 1 dry lips and my acne got much worse. By month 3 the body/ joint pain started. Month 5 I was taking Tylenol 4 times a day everyday for back pain and every joint in my body was popping and crunching. Acne never fully cleared. Month 2 off of it and my acne started coming back and my hair started falling out. I'm 5 months off now. My hair is STILL falling out and none of my doctors can tell me if/ when it will stop or if it will grow back. My back still hurts every joint in my body pops and is sore and my knees and shoulders crunch with minimal movement. I haven't been myself in 8 months, always angry and depressed. If I had known in order to have mostly clear skin all I had to sacrifice was half the hair on my head, my personality, and my back and joints I would not have done it."

autumnanjil February 13, 2019

For Acne: "So far I am on month 3 of treatment. My boobs are HUGE. I have gained about lbs, I have NO sex drive, I am very irritable, and my depression is worse than ever. Doctor is worried about my kidney function right now but all in all.... my face looks great. I am using a redness and dark spot lotion to start helping with that from Clinique. I would recommend this medication but do your research first."

zaney (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "yeah this thing is rubbish, first of all it can give you depression (which I had before taking this, and it made it worse). Also my acne is still fondly growing on my face and I'm pretty sure it made it worse. I'm starting to get small zits but also very big cysts that are developing under the skin, it's like a you could do a mountain bike race on my face, I also have acne on my chest and back, So all accutane is doing is drying my lips instead of doing the thing it's supposed to."

Dick Warlock (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2019

For Acne: "My daughter has had bad acne since she was 10. We had tried absolutely everything. The dermatologist recently suggested accutane and after a ton of research, I decided we needed to try it as long as we monitored her closely. We are heading into month 3 with no side effects except a little bit of dry lips. Her face already looks great and she is so happy because she was exhausted trying all of the other medicines that NEVER worked. There are so many bad reviews out there, that I wanted to share a positive one."

A (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

Myorisan (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I started taking isotretinoin 5 months ago and I just recently finished it. My acne was bad when I started taking it and it has only gotten worse. I have been finished with my medicine for 2 weeks and my entire face is covered with acne. I put my skin through hell just for it to get worse. I’m extremely mad and NOBODY should ever take this medicine EVER. It shouldn’t be allowed."

lboyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane changed my life. I am 24 and have had acne since age 11, first on my back and then in high school it spread all over my face. It was debilitating and people looked at my skin rather than me. I felt terrible and invisible. Accutane works by preventing your oil glands from producing oil. My face was dry but people started looking at me for me! My skin cleared right up and literally have had only minor problems since. My boyfriend also went on accutane and had a different experience altogether. He was very depressed, had hallucinations, etc. He's also the type that needs to turn the lights off for two hrs before bed and if he drinks coffee at 3 pm he'll stay up until 1 am because of it. His body is very sensitive and yet his sisters had a great experience with the drug. Two years later he still thinks his life is changed because of the two weeks he spent on accutane. I know I would take depression and anxiety any day over how crappy I felt with my acne."

G M January 20, 2019

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son is 16, he has experienced severe acne for several years. We tried antibiotics, unsuccessfully. One month using this medication, he stated, "This is life changing!""

Anonymous January 12, 2019

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was concerned about taking this drug because of the dermatologists "over cautious" warning against it, especially the video they played with the never ending list of harmful side effects its been known to cause individuals. Everything I've every heard about accutane has scared me away from it. However, I wished I tried it sooner. Like most people that suffer from acne, I have tried antibiotics, Clindamycin, Tretinoin, and basically every cleanser known to man. None of it did anything to improve my acne but, this stuff, this stuff works! It is the only thing that works. I wish I tried it sooner..."

Anonymous January 3, 2019

For Acne: "Side effects are worse than the acne. If you want to go bald use isotretinoin. the higher the dose, the higher balding rate."

Rushi (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2018

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I completed two courses of accutane. My acne was never horrible but it was resistant to every other treatment I tried. My first course I took when I was a junior in high school, and I had amazing results. Clear, beautiful skin. When some acne started returning as a junior in college I took a second course, I think 40 mg/day for 5 months. Near the end of that second course I became really lethargic, paranoid, anxious, and had brain fog and stomach issues. My skin started flushing a lot and still does. My high libido became non-existent. I finally tried an antidepressant (celexa) for ~6 months in 2016 which helped. As time goes on I'm slowly feeling better, but my libido is still gone. Doctors say I'm healthy. I just want to say be careful if you choose to take this drug. My first course was amazing and I decided I would be fine doing another one. I regret that decision."

VA_girl92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane was truly a blessing for me. I was discouraged and honestly scared to go on the medication after doing research and reading all the stories and reviews. At 17 years old my acne was so bad it completely destroyed my self-confidence, and I was beyond desperate to find a way to stop it that I didn’t care what it took. Within the first 2 months of starting the treatment people began noticing a difference. Lotion and moistizuring became my best friend for those 6 months, luckily I did not experience anything worse than that. A word to the wise though: do NOT drink while on this medication it already compromises your liver and I had to learn this the hard way. Overall 10/10 drug, I’ve been off of it for about 2 years and all my scars and hyperpigmentation have faded, and I maybe get a single pimple every couple weeks, If that. Moral of the story, there IS hope, your scars and acne will go away and you will be able to feel like yourself again!"

Kayla November 29, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had clear skin all through my teens and acne only started when I was 23. It was the very severe and nothing worked so I went on a 6 months course of Accutane, side effects weren't that bad as I had a very oily skin and I did feel it dried my eyes, throat and lips but not that bad. My skin was clear for only 4 years and then acne came back again, very severe :( I had a second 6 months course and same side effects. Now, I am 45 and still suffer from bouts of severe acne but I have been trying to avoid going back fro a third course of reaccutane as my dermatologist recommended I go for it a couple of months ago when he saw my latest severe acne, it is really painful and bad. I am now on antibiotics and topical cream and face wash. it helped a bit but not that much. I developed diabetes four years ago and am concerned if I take roaccutane now, it could have different side effects. Any advice?"

Maha November 29, 2018

For Acne: "I have very severe acne and I just started it less than a month ago. Necessary tests like liver function and lipids test needs to be done to ensure that your liver does not react adversely to the medicine. Currently I am on 20mg and it actually pushes pimples from underneath the skin out and dries it. So far, I just have a lot of flaking on my skin and cracking lips so there is a need to apply lip balm. Finally, when using this medicine, apply sunblock as this medicine causes your skin to be more photosensitive."

Cylon (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I've had acne my whole life (age 29). Face was always oily and I'd pop pimples all the time. Started accutane in January. Face and lips started getting really dry. Eucerin lotion and Aquaphor worked very well but needed to apply several times a day. Eczema on the top of my hands, wrists and upper arms (small red bumps that I've never had before in my life) so more lotion was required. By the middle of the second month, my acne was gone. I had dry eyes that required artificial tears at least 8 times a day. After 3 months my doctor told me I can discontinue taking it. It did not hold me back from being active and traveling through a few countries either. The side effects had disappeared except for a few small bumps only on my upper arms. It is November now. Still haven't seen a single pimple on my face! Had mild depression and anxiety but I've also had a long history even before taking accutane. Different people will have different results and side effects. Best of luck to everyone."

Rex (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

For Acne: "I have been taking claravis (isotretinoin) 60 mg a day for a little over 2 months. It's actually been going really well and other than a little fatigue and tiredness I feel great! I'm excited that my skin feels like butter. Other mild side effects I've experienced are crazy dreams, light muscle soreness. Hair shedding in the beginning and sensitive flushed skin when exposed to the sun, caffeine or alcohol. Dry lips and flaking skin but with the help of CeraVe moisturizer and jojoba oil my skin looks immediately fresh and hydrated. Blistex medicated lip ointment is a lip saver!! Moisturizing eye drops are nice too. I stepped up my vitamin intake and that includes biotin, collagen peptides, fish oil, vitamin E, B-12 and vitamin D3. Drinking plenty of water also! I only shower and wash my hair once a week with a deep moisturizer treatment. If you take care of yourself you can eliminate or make these side effects definitely tolerable. Moisturize Hydrate Stretch Stay positive"

Bams1981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "This treatment is not worth it in a long run. My case was pretty severe when I was about 19 I decided to try this and my acne reduced quite insignificantly while at the same time my skin was so dry I could peel it off on morning, it also made it itchy from dryness and I would involuntarily scratch myself in sleep which made me look like I been attacked by cats the next day. Also your skin looses elasticity and if you frown a lot you may develop wrinkles on your forehead. Lost hair density by about 20% which I never regained back and I would get unjustified mood shifts on few occasions as if I was taking some anabolic steroids. I've stopped 1 month before the end of my last cycle but I wish I never started. Eventually my acne went away naturally when I was fully grown man around age of 22. You can't defy nature or it will mess you up, this is in your genes you just have to stick it out."

Trifler (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I have a friend who is in stage 5 kidney failure because of this drug. She is only 20 years old. She has to get a kidney transplant and will suffer for the rest of her life because of accutane. PLEASE DO NOT USE ACCUTANE! It may affect you for the rest of your life."

Jane doe (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took Accutane 60 mg daily for 4 months for moderate acne on my arms, shoulders and back. Before starting, my acne was inflamed and painful and I was extremely self-conscious of my body. My side effects were not that bad--dry skin, lips, rashy arms--, but I do think it slightly exacerbated my depression while on it. Three months after taking my last dose, my skin looks a lot better and I'm so glad I made this decision. Here's hoping it lasts."

George (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018