User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Granuloma Annulare

Acne
8.3

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 8.3 789 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Please before you take Accutane really consider the side affects. Some of these reviews kind of down play them but some are actually very serious. I have been on Accutane for 1 month and I started to lose hair on my temples (like my hairline is receding) and I’m only 18. I’m really scared that it may not grow back and from what I’ve read that might be a possibility. I’m telling you don’t go in this drug unless you have extremely severe acne. If it is moderate like mine just try to accept it the risk is not worth it."

DarkKnight (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I took Isotretinoin for 27 days from December 2017 to January 2018. At the time I was 21 and I had exhausted all other options . After a brief consultation with my GP who assured me that the drug was safe and the listed side effects were uncommon, I was placed on 40mg a day for 6 months (I’m a 5-9 male 160 lbs). The side effects that I experienced at first were as follows: dry lips+skin, light sensitivity and slight joint pain. Week 3 I suffered from a major nodular breakout (which is to be expected), severe brain fog, and short term memory loss. Terrified, I quit the medication as my memory is my most prized possession. 3 months following my drug refusal, my short-term memory came back for the most part and I was 100% clear. At month 3.5 I encountered an SE : a virtually non-existing libido and general numbness in the phallic region. September 2018, my libido slowly came back and I started breaking out again with mild to moderate acne on my face and scalp."

Embraceacne (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had severe cystic acne when I was 18. Like my whole face and neck covered. I was super depressed, I could never look into a mirror. I stared taking accutane and notice my lips got severely dry. I got big blisters on both corners of my mouth throughout the treatment. But I noticed after 2 months no new bombs growing and my face got smooth but still covered in red scars. After the treatment I had zero pimples and no red scars it completely worked. I was so happy. I could sweat not even wash my face and I wouldn't get pimples. I'm now 34 and have had no problems after treatment and my acne never came back. My face is as clear as it was the months after treatment. I also signed up for something that covered the cost. I don't remember what it was I had to wait 2 months for approval"

Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had to take two courses, genuinely think this drug saved my life. I had beyond severe painful, bulging, cystic acne everywhere that nothing worked with while in high school. I had to wear undershirts because I would bleed through my shirts. Had to quit sports because any contact would cause bleeding, not to mention pain. Was essentially bullied out of high school due to the severity of my skin, I literally to this day have never seen anyone with as bad of acne as I had. It completely cleared up my skin after the first course, after a few months, it did come back, pretty harshly by most people’s standards, but literally nothing in comparison to what it was. I took another course, and I have clear skin to this day, 6 years later with minimal scarring. Only side effect I had was dry everything, skin eyes nose lips. People say it causes depression, I think having severe acne is much more likely to cause depression then accutane"

Pete (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I have just finished month two and my face is the smoothest it has ever been. Fair skinned people you will definitely look like you have a sunburn in the first month but it goes away. I did purge bad in the first three to four weeks but it was manageable. This thing is a miracle drug, and only side effect I have had it SOME lower back pain, fatigue and SLIGHTLY dry skin and lips. I attest my lack of symptoms due to my one gallon of water I drink everyday and unwavering moisturizing skills. Ladies, butter yourself up everyday with that ultra repair cream and some rosehip oil and you will be fine. I thought this would be really bad but maybe everyone is sensitive OR I just got lucky. Anyways, I highly recommend this drug. Don't think you can still eat absolute junk and it will still work, eat as healthy as you can, exercise, limit stress, eat clean and indulge every once in a while and let accutane do its job."

Fi September 25, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I personally LOVED Accutane! I spent 8 years dealing with moderate hormonal cystic acne. Like most people on here, I tried everything else out there. I kept saying no to Accutane because of all the horror stories I had read online. Finally my doctor said there was nothing left for me to do EXCEPT Accutane. So, I did my research and I prepared myself for the worst. My acne is completely gone after the 5 month course. I was one of the lucky few to have very little side effects to the medication. My face was hardly dry at all and I only had some chapped lips. But nothing like I had expected. What I will say to the people questioning it is trust your doctor! Obviously do your research but don't get too caught up with the stories online. Know there are risks and some people have had horrible experiences with it but also know everyone is different. I think if you prepare yourself for the worst, it may not be as bad."

J-me September 21, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My older cousin took this for his acne. Later he hanged himself. Apparently suicide is a side effect. Please, do not take this. It is not worth it"

DontTake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2018

For Acne: "My only regret is not trying Epuris (isotretinoin ) sooner. I tried topical treatments for years, diet changes, probiotics, and everything on the internet I could find. I now have scarring which hasn’t gone down, though my dermatologist assured me it will with time. If I started Epuris sooner I wouldn’t have this problem. This drug is for people who’s acne isn’t responding to OTC medications. It doesn’t have to be in what your minds eye is terrible. Acne is terrible period. And if it’s resistant to topical treatments etc than give this drug a try. Side effects: some dryness but nothing like what I heard online. Everyone responds differently. I ate a diet high in omega-3s, not positive if this is why, but if it helps someone else, try it. I am an athlete and experienced no joint aches. This is just my experience but the point is: I was terrified to try this for all the horror stories of side effects I read about—I experienced none to the degree I read. Don’t hesitate and talk to a dermatologist!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I went on accutane after trying a multitude of antibiotics and topicals such as differin, doxycycline, some other cycline and much more. I was a little hesitant to try accutane as my cousin who took it had bad side affects and I personally have a history of mental health issues. However, taking accutane is one of the best decisions I ever made. I did not have severe cystic acne, but my moderate acne with cystic on my chin was progressively getting worse and I decided to finally go for it. As an 18 year old I researched it decided to try it. I definitely experienced dry skin and lips, as long as a allergic reaction type rash on my arms, which ended up being dermatitis. this was about the only negative side affect that I had and overall the rash was 100x worth it for the results I got. I have been off accutane for about 3-5 months now and I have not had a major breakout since. 10/10 would recommend!!"

erin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2018

For Acne: "I am 39 years male and I was on 1 month course of 20mg Tretiva ( Isotretinoin tab ), my skin has cleared significantly but after the course I am facing some severe side effects. Side effects seen after 2 weeks of stopping the course. Loss of energy Tiredness Chapped lips Back muscles pain Slight pain in stomach Tenderness in eyes Scaling of skin on the thighs. Due to all these side effects I'm feeling not so confident to hit the gym as well. Don’t know till how much time these side effects would last.. I would recommend that if it’s necessary and is effecting your confidence then only go for the Isotretinoin treatment."

AS (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Accutane does do the job, it does clear your acne however it does take a while to do so, especially if you’re put on a low dose like I was. As well as this, although I am so happy I don’t have acne anymore as it was ruining my life and my self confidence, the side effects of accutane were horrendous for me. My skin started going scaly because it was so dry, literally everywhere. My hair stopped growing and got so dry damaged and thin to the point where I’ve had to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, and it also made my mood change quite a lot too. A few months later, I did notice that I was getting spots again, not as bad as my acne before but still. I’ve started using cepton skin wash and that works amazing. I guess you have to weigh up the side effects versus how bad your acne is. If you’ve tried everything else and nothing works and your acne gets you down, then I think accutane is for you. The main thing is that it does work but the side effects do have to be considered!"

pops19 August 14, 2018

For Acne: "So I’ve just recently started getting bad acne about 8 months ago and I’m 22. I tried topical treatments, creams etc... Nothing seemed to work so I went to the doctor and he prescribed me with accutane 40mg/a day (I’m between 115-120lbs) my skin and lips became very very dry but that’s a common side effect. After a while I started to get tired and would take a nap everyday for about 3-4 hours, lost all my energy and then started getting a sore back especially on the right side and my body felt weak and brittle. My back hurts all the time now while taking these meds. Then after that I started feeling a little depressed but that didn’t last very long. I’m still on the fence about sticking it out because I am seeing results but it makes my body feel weak."

Cai (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Please whatever you do DO NOT take this medicine or let anyone you know take it!!!! My 21 year old cousin took this medicine and within two months her kidneys shut down and caused a ton of other issues to the point that she was put on life support for a week and almost lost her life. She still has a long road ahead and will never have the health she had before. Her kidneys are still not working at this time and she will probably have to have a kidney transplant. A clear face is NOT worth losing your life!!!"

Almost died (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I suffered severe acne for more than 20 years before I tried accutane. It basically cured my acne almost completely. I don't have much side effects, if any. I gained quite a bit weight but I think it has more to do with my age and lack of exercise. A lot of people mentioned terrible side effects. I personally didn't feel anything on accutane, which is rare because I always feel something when I take most other medication. My advise is to start off with low dose and work it up according to your weight. Side effect will be minimal with low dose. You can always stop if you experience strong side effects.I was told to take Accutane with a fatty meal. This is the best advice that I can give to anyone who suffers from severe acne. Don't waste your time and money with antibiotic and any topical treatment. You will always have bacteria on your skin. The root of acne is over-production of oil from sebaceous gland."

Gary (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "After years of trying ALL the cheap, expensive, and middle of the road things, then the rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, FINALLY I was prescribed accutane. It took months. I was on a low dose - 20 mg every second day, then slowly up to 20mg a day, then alternating between 20/40. First, the acne became a little worse. THINGS CAME OUT OF MY FACE PEOPLE. After about 3 months, all those tiny little bumps started to disappear. By 6-8 months, the main offenders had diminished. A year on, I still take 20/40 on alternate days. My skin is honestly amazing. Smooth. No breakouts. Subterranean hell cysts gone. I wear sunscreen religiously. It took months, but was well worth it. No side effects for me, except the need to have a seriously good lip balm at all times (I recommend dermal, nothing else seems to cut it)."

Flossie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I first started treatment in February 2018 and my treatment is now ended (July 2018). My main concern was the initial breakout, but I didn’t have one! I had maybe a few spots more than usual but my skin would break out so often it made no difference. The first thing I noticed was within 2 weeks my skin was no longer oily and after 2 months my skin was almost clear! I haven’t had a spot for a month now and I feel so confident! I do have dry lips and nose bleeds sometimes but no other side effects and no emotional problems either, cannot recommend highly enough, however side effects can be worse on some people so though definitely needs to go into it."

Cheerleader29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

Absorica (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Female, struggled with cystic hormonal acne on chest, back, neck, jawline and face for 9 years. Side Effects on Accutane; Dry lips & small blisters on lips (occasional) Extremely dry red eyes (No contacts after 1st month) Abnormal hot flashes Face flushing Night vision decreased Nose bleeds Occasional blurred vision Fatigue Joint aches Headaches Fragile dry skin Dry hair Dry nose&throat Stomach pain and cramping (month 6) Hemmoriods Itchy skin & skin rash on hands Side Effects I have now are; Dry eyes (I can wear contacts now but took 2 months after stopping meds and my eyes are still much drier than before. I have to use eye drops at night and in the morning) Dry lips (not bad) Occasional joint pain in hands Hair loss/rapid hair shedding Itchy skin All other side effects went away after ending meds. Worth it! 4 months after Accutane and I have no acne! Not a single cyst! I have normal skin and occasional tiny zits here and there only."

Daisy3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I always told myself I was gonna post a before and after picture of my acne but I never had enough balls, so here it is!! I have had cystic acne for a couple years now and it put a huge damper on my self confidence. After trying every single kind of cream, antibiotic, and diet (I even went vegan), I finally found a doctor who believed that I had been through enough and put me on Accutane. Although it’s a really powerful drug with some potentially hideous side effects, it has been a life changer. Don’t ever let someone with perfect skin tell you that “acne doesn’t matter” or that “you’re acne isn’t even that bad”. YOUR FACE IS THE FIRST THING THAT PEOPLE SEE!"

Meag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2018

For Acne: "Well... I just finished 3 months course of isotretinoin 20mg. I was so worried about the side effects reading review I was horrified what's going to happen. I didn't get any of them listed. Little dry lips and skin but always moisturize and in duration of taking the meds applying some extra. If it comes to mood and emotional side effects I never felt better. I suffer from anxiety and depression in past. I honestly can say the medication helped me a lot, self confidence and just being happy with me. Don't expect to see the effects straight away I took 3 months to see the difference."

Maria (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Amnesteem (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Taken for drug-resistant adult acne after all the topicals and some oral meds. I’m in my third month starting 80mg/day. First two were 40mg/day. Only side effects are chapped lips and back/knee pain. My skin is clear and I don’t need to wash my hair as frequently."

Lemla (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I went on Accutane 1982. I had chronic acne on my shoulders and back. My lips and nose immediately dried up, cracked and bled. My eyes got so dry I constantly had to use drops. My joints started to ache constantly. My thick hair and eye lashes started falling out. My arm hair, under arms and legs stopped growing. My eyebrows decided to almost disappear. My hair on my head never returned to its original thickness nor my eye lashes or eyebrows. The hair on my arms, legs and underarms all but disappeared. I got extremely tired for a full year. It did clear up my acne issues. My biggest complaint is JOINT PAIN! I STILL HAVE IT 36 YEARS LATER. I would joke that I felt like a cancer patient going through chemo, so tired, losing hair. I never knew it was originally for chemotherapy treatments until 2016. I discovered others were having joint pain 20 to 30 years later also. Wish there would have been some kind of recognition that joint pain is permanent side effect from accutane."

Gawarf May 30, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Oratane - 20mg, first 2 weeks one tablet a day 2 tablets a day(40mg) until further assessment. I have seen improvements where I would normally have cysts(lower jaw, cheeks and mouth) BUT I'm breaking out all over my forehead, lips and shoulders which I have never experienced before. I have seen my derm yesterday and he prescribed me Panafcort (Prednsione) 25mg, 2 tablets once a day for 4 days. It is a strong oral steroid treatment that within 7 hours I have already seen a difference! SIDE EFFECTS: Headaches up the back of my neck and in my eyes Dryness (moderate) Nausea Dry scalp - solved with slathering my scalp and hair ends in coconut oil, massaging it in and sitting with it for 20/30 mins! do not DO NOT drink alcohol in excess. you will be terribly sick (vomiting) and hungover. "

Allaboutbrie May 28, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was badly broken out with not many scars on my face . I tried everything , benzac and clemskin cream work only for 3 months after that they were showing no effect on skin. I continue to break out badly . Then my dermatologist gave me isotretinoin (Accutane ) with z-caps (zinc and other vitamins) and face wash and here I am with clean and clear skin with some minor pimples. But ,that's okay. Precautions: 1.Don't touch your acne 2.Avoid oily food, sweets , dairy and bread. 3.apply some moisturizer as accutane makes it skin dry Accutane sometimes work for some people and sometimes doesn't but it worked for me. Good luck!!!"

Vivek May 25, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son was on accutane. We put it off for years because of things we read online. He had bad cystic acne. We tried everything and nothing worked permanently. This went on for 6 years until we were so desperate we agreed he would try it at age 17. It worked! He has been off now for 5 months and is still clear. I wish we would have done it sooner because now he has some scarring from the many years of cystic acne. He did not have any major side effects. Just dry lips. I would tell parents not to be scared of this medication like we were. It is worth it."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Acne: "I'm a GP and I was on a long term low dose of this drug (20mg / week) and had no problems until I was prescribed the Ranbaxy brand. It's less effective than Roche and the cumulative side effects were horrific- severe chronic blepharitis, MGD and dry eye disease I now think twice before going to anywhere with air conditioning- restaurants / cinemas / aeroplanes. The fat necrosis around my eyes caused by the inflammation is awful and I've had to see specialists at a eye hospital in London. I'm on cyclosporin and steroid eye drops to try and calm the reaction amongst other treatments... I've also heard of a patient getting sensorineural deafness. It's toxic - especially this brand -don't take it."

Ally (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...