User Reviews for Isotretinoin

Also known as: Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret, Zenatane

Granuloma Annulare

Acne
8.3

Summary of Isotretinoin reviews 8.3 778 reviews

Reviews for Isotretinoin

For Acne: "So I’ve just recently started getting bad acne about 8 months ago and I’m 22. I tried topical treatments, creams etc... Nothing seemed to work so I went to the doctor and he prescribed me with accutane 40mg/a day (I’m between 115-120lbs) my skin and lips became very very dry but that’s a common side effect. After a while I started to get tired and would take a nap everyday for about 3-4 hours, lost all my energy and then started getting a sore back especially on the right side and my body felt weak and brittle. My back hurts all the time now while taking these meds. Then after that I started feeling a little depressed but that didn’t last very long. I’m still on the fence about sticking it out because I am seeing results but it makes my body feel weak."

Cai (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Please whatever you do DO NOT take this medicine or let anyone you know take it!!!! My 21 year old cousin took this medicine and within two months her kidneys shut down and caused a ton of other issues to the point that she was put on life support for a week and almost lost her life. She still has a long road ahead and will never have the health she had before. Her kidneys are still not working at this time and she will probably have to have a kidney transplant. A clear face is NOT worth losing your life!!!"

Almost died (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I suffered severe acne for more than 20 years before I tried accutane. It basically cured my acne almost completely. I don't have much side effects, if any. I gained quite a bit weight but I think it has more to do with my age and lack of exercise. A lot of people mentioned terrible side effects. I personally didn't feel anything on accutane, which is rare because I always feel something when I take most other medication. My advise is to start off with low dose and work it up according to your weight. Side effect will be minimal with low dose. You can always stop if you experience strong side effects.I was told to take Accutane with a fatty meal. This is the best advice that I can give to anyone who suffers from severe acne. Don't waste your time and money with antibiotic and any topical treatment. You will always have bacteria on your skin. The root of acne is over-production of oil from sebaceous gland."

Gary (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "After years of trying ALL the cheap, expensive, and middle of the road things, then the rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, FINALLY I was prescribed accutane. It took months. I was on a low dose - 20 mg every second day, then slowly up to 20mg a day, then alternating between 20/40. First, the acne became a little worse. THINGS CAME OUT OF MY FACE PEOPLE. After about 3 months, all those tiny little bumps started to disappear. By 6-8 months, the main offenders had diminished. A year on, I still take 20/40 on alternate days. My skin is honestly amazing. Smooth. No breakouts. Subterranean hell cysts gone. I wear sunscreen religiously. It took months, but was well worth it. No side effects for me, except the need to have a seriously good lip balm at all times (I recommend dermal, nothing else seems to cut it)."

Flossie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I first started treatment in February 2018 and my treatment is now ended (July 2018). My main concern was the initial breakout, but I didn’t have one! I had maybe a few spots more than usual but my skin would break out so often it made no difference. The first thing I noticed was within 2 weeks my skin was no longer oily and after 2 months my skin was almost clear! I haven’t had a spot for a month now and I feel so confident! I do have dry lips and nose bleeds sometimes but no other side effects and no emotional problems either, cannot recommend highly enough, however side effects can be worse on some people so though definitely needs to go into it."

Cheerleader29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

Absorica (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Female, struggled with cystic hormonal acne on chest, back, neck, jawline and face for 9 years. Side Effects on Accutane; Dry lips & small blisters on lips (occasional) Extremely dry red eyes (No contacts after 1st month) Abnormal hot flashes Face flushing Night vision decreased Nose bleeds Occasional blurred vision Fatigue Joint aches Headaches Fragile dry skin Dry hair Dry nose&throat Stomach pain and cramping (month 6) Hemmoriods Itchy skin & skin rash on hands Side Effects I have now are; Dry eyes (I can wear contacts now but took 2 months after stopping meds and my eyes are still much drier than before. I have to use eye drops at night and in the morning) Dry lips (not bad) Occasional joint pain in hands Hair loss/rapid hair shedding Itchy skin All other side effects went away after ending meds. Worth it! 4 months after Accutane and I have no acne! Not a single cyst! I have normal skin and occasional tiny zits here and there only."

Daisy3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I always told myself I was gonna post a before and after picture of my acne but I never had enough balls, so here it is!! I have had cystic acne for a couple years now and it put a huge damper on my self confidence. After trying every single kind of cream, antibiotic, and diet (I even went vegan), I finally found a doctor who believed that I had been through enough and put me on Accutane. Although it’s a really powerful drug with some potentially hideous side effects, it has been a life changer. Don’t ever let someone with perfect skin tell you that “acne doesn’t matter” or that “you’re acne isn’t even that bad”. YOUR FACE IS THE FIRST THING THAT PEOPLE SEE!"

Meag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2018

For Acne: "Well... I just finished 3 months course of isotretinoin 20mg. I was so worried about the side effects reading review I was horrified what's going to happen. I didn't get any of them listed. Little dry lips and skin but always moisturize and in duration of taking the meds applying some extra. If it comes to mood and emotional side effects I never felt better. I suffer from anxiety and depression in past. I honestly can say the medication helped me a lot, self confidence and just being happy with me. Don't expect to see the effects straight away I took 3 months to see the difference."

Maria (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Amnesteem (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Taken for drug-resistant adult acne after all the topicals and some oral meds. I’m in my third month starting 80mg/day. First two were 40mg/day. Only side effects are chapped lips and back/knee pain. My skin is clear and I don’t need to wash my hair as frequently."

Lemla (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I went on Accutane 1982. I had chronic acne on my shoulders and back. My lips and nose immediately dried up, cracked and bled. My eyes got so dry I constantly had to use drops. My joints started to ache constantly. My thick hair and eye lashes started falling out. My arm hair, under arms and legs stopped growing. My eyebrows decided to almost disappear. My hair on my head never returned to its original thickness nor my eye lashes or eyebrows. The hair on my arms, legs and underarms all but disappeared. I got extremely tired for a full year. It did clear up my acne issues. My biggest complaint is JOINT PAIN! I STILL HAVE IT 36 YEARS LATER. I would joke that I felt like a cancer patient going through chemo, so tired, losing hair. I never knew it was originally for chemotherapy treatments until 2016. I discovered others were having joint pain 20 to 30 years later also. Wish there would have been some kind of recognition that joint pain is permanent side effect from accutane."

Gawarf May 30, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Oratane - 20mg, first 2 weeks one tablet a day 2 tablets a day(40mg) until further assessment. I have seen improvements where I would normally have cysts(lower jaw, cheeks and mouth) BUT I'm breaking out all over my forehead, lips and shoulders which I have never experienced before. I have seen my derm yesterday and he prescribed me Panafcort (Prednsione) 25mg, 2 tablets once a day for 4 days. It is a strong oral steroid treatment that within 7 hours I have already seen a difference! SIDE EFFECTS: Headaches up the back of my neck and in my eyes Dryness (moderate) Nausea Dry scalp - solved with slathering my scalp and hair ends in coconut oil, massaging it in and sitting with it for 20/30 mins! do not DO NOT drink alcohol in excess. you will be terribly sick (vomiting) and hungover. "

Allaboutbrie May 28, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was badly broken out with not many scars on my face . I tried everything , benzac and clemskin cream work only for 3 months after that they were showing no effect on skin. I continue to break out badly . Then my dermatologist gave me isotretinoin (Accutane ) with z-caps (zinc and other vitamins) and face wash and here I am with clean and clear skin with some minor pimples. But ,that's okay. Precautions: 1.Don't touch your acne 2.Avoid oily food, sweets , dairy and bread. 3.apply some moisturizer as accutane makes it skin dry Accutane sometimes work for some people and sometimes doesn't but it worked for me. Good luck!!!"

Vivek May 25, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My son was on accutane. We put it off for years because of things we read online. He had bad cystic acne. We tried everything and nothing worked permanently. This went on for 6 years until we were so desperate we agreed he would try it at age 17. It worked! He has been off now for 5 months and is still clear. I wish we would have done it sooner because now he has some scarring from the many years of cystic acne. He did not have any major side effects. Just dry lips. I would tell parents not to be scared of this medication like we were. It is worth it."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Acne: "I'm a GP and I was on a long term low dose of this drug (20mg / week) and had no problems until I was prescribed the Ranbaxy brand. It's less effective than Roche and the cumulative side effects were horrific- severe chronic blepharitis, MGD and dry eye disease I now think twice before going to anywhere with air conditioning- restaurants / cinemas / aeroplanes. The fat necrosis around my eyes caused by the inflammation is awful and I've had to see specialists at a eye hospital in London. I'm on cyclosporin and steroid eye drops to try and calm the reaction amongst other treatments... I've also heard of a patient getting sensorineural deafness. It's toxic - especially this brand -don't take it."

Ally (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was prescribed Accutane last year and was on it from March 2017 to August 2017. I was 42 years old at the time and had been struggling with moderate acne for years. It seemed to be worse as an adult compared to my teenage years. Accutane was the best thing I could do for my skin. I had tried antibiotics, birth control pills, proactive and other topical medication, but would only see temporary results. I have had a history of depression and was worried about trying Accutane. During the course of treatment I had no depression only very dry lips and minor joint pain in my knees. Now my skin is completely clear and I can go without makeup. I now feel much better about myself and would do it all over again if I had to."

JJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018

Myorisan (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It all started in middle school. 6th grade to be exact when I saw a little pimple pop up on my left cheek. I had noticed that those pimples went from whiteheads, to papules, to pustules, then to large cysts all over my cheeks. Those cysts had also left me with severe, atrophic scarring and dark hyper pigmentation. I’m 18 at the moment and had visited my dermatologist 2 years ago. I had to be prescribed topical creams and oral antibiotics—as usual with any other acne sufferer. I’ve tried clindamycin, tetracycline, retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, sulfate, clearasil, apricot scrubs and washes; you name it. But around 4 months ago, I was prescribed this drug and let me tell you, in the first two months I’ve seen SO MUCH progress with my skin overall. I no longer break out like I used to and my hyper pigmentation is clearing up day by day. Yes, there are a lot of side effects that you shouldn’t ignore. But this was just a personal decision I have made, and I’ll never regret it."

Jordan May 8, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "It honestly it changed my life. My skin was SO bad and I was embarrassed to even go to school. I had cystic acne on my forehead and cheeks and it was so ugly. But after 5 months on accutane my skin was completely clear, and my skin type went from extremely oily to normal. It boosted my self confidence and I go makeup-less all the time, whereas in the past I wouldn’t be caught dead without a full face of makeup. I had dry skin and lips but nothing that chapstick and moisturizer couldn’t fix. Don’t be scared off by all of the side effects, most of the time they aren’t very intense."

liv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2018

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Isotretinoin (Claravis) CHANGED MY LIFE. My only regret is not going on it sooner (I started at age 22). If you are on the fence, do it. The only side effects I had were dry lips, some back/tailbone pain and some depression (though I think this was more so from the birth control). I wasted so much of my life hiding away because of my mild to moderate acne. Be patient, and this will work. It's better than being on antibiotics for long periods of time. I was on it for 4 months, and my skin keeps getting better after. It did not clear up my hyperpigmentation, but I know that will fade and I can cover it up. Monthly blood work is so worth it to be able to wake up in the morning and not worry about pimples. Use Carmex lip balm ( for me way better than Aquaphor). And go out and live your life!!! If my acne comes back (praying it doesn't), I would be happy to take this again."

lll3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Horrible dry lips, hair loss and joint pain still after 6 years off of the drug. Don’t take this poison."

Chris (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

For Acne: "This drug has changed my life. I’ve had acne for 8 years. My skin was extremely sensitive to pretty much everything. It’s been 2 months I’ve been on prescription for this drug and my skin is improving unbelievably good. I have literally no acne on my face just spots. Just a suggestion, Eat ghee or olive oil while taking this medicine and it’ll calm the side effects. Also personally I have not experienced patchy skin or hair loss or depression just really badly dry lips."

Priya (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "My daughter started accutane at 14 years old after struggling with acne and self-confidence issues for years. She had moderate face acne but severe chest and back acne. She tried antibiotics, topicals and birth control. The birth control was mildly successfully but didn't treat her back. We made the decision to try accutane to get rid of her acne once and for all. I am writing this as a very nervous mom who was extremely worried about the side effects. I did not want her to do it but two dermatologists recommended and she was willing to make the commitment. In her 5 months on 60 mgs a day, the worst side effects were very chapped lips and dry skin. All her blood tests were fine but slightly inconvenient. Her results have been excellent. Her back and chest are completely clear with an occasional pimple on her face. 5 months after finishing, my daughter is beyond happy with her results. Do your homework, but if your dermatologist recommends, seriously consider it."

JJ April 13, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I had to stop taking isotretinoin after 3 months to save my relationship with my fiancé and myself. At first I was prescribed 60mg daily (F, 107-112lb, 25 yrs old), clinical depression and fatigue hit me. I mean, I dreaded taking showers because it was too much work! My doc lowered my dose to 50mg daily and I cried every single day for the next 2 months. The medication changed me completely. Anyways, I am so glad I got over my stubbornness to “stick it out for clear skin” for the sake of my mental health. I feel happy again! "

My experience April 8, 2018

Claravis (isotretinoin) for Acne: "Right before my 49th birthday I finally gave in and decided to start taking this drug. I started breaking out when I turned 40 and I couldn't find a drug or diet to relieve the symptoms over the next 9 years. I was resistant to taking this drug due to the reported side effects. I started taking the medication in June of 2017 and I ended in December of 2017. The before and after pictues (June/December) tell the whole story. I only pray it does not come back."

July50me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2018

Accutane (isotretinoin) for Acne: "I was in my mid-20's when I took accutane after what seemed like, a lifetime of acne that wrecked my self esteem. I had tried everything else out there; creams, ointments, antibiotics, etc...nothing worked! As with any drug, there are side effects. I experienced very dry flaky skin on my face and lips, and yes, depression. I thought the depression was due to the flaky skin (not fun going to work with a lot of skin peeling off your face), but, turns out it was a side effect. I only took it for approximately two months and all acne was gone! For good! Here we are about 20 years later and it has never come back! I love my face now! If you can withstand the side effects, is the best drug for severe cystic acne."

AS (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

For Acne: "Isotretinoin is the best ever thing happen to me. Please give a try and don't worry about side effects because clear skin is worth more than little dry skin and chap lips"

Iffi (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018