Isotretinoin - Does accutane help to remove scars from old pimples?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 5, 2023.
Previous scarring is not improved with Isotretinoin (brand name is Accutane).
Acne often gets worse around week 3 or 4 of treatment and lasts for several days. This is not a sign that the medicine isn't working! Real improvement is seen at around 6 weeks.
Ask your skin specialist about using make-up.
Treatments for previous scarring include dermabrasion, chemical peel or carbon dioxide laser ablation and should not be contemplated until at least 6-12 months after completing the course.
Related medical questions
- What are the most common skin conditions? (with photos)
- Can Accutane cause permanent liver damage?
- Is Absorica the same as Accutane?
- How long does Absorica take to work?
- How long does Accutane stay in your system when stopping?
- Accutane - I'm taking Acnotin 20 and have got many more pimples recently. Is this normal?
- What is Maskne? How can I stop it from developing?
- Can taking doxycycline for acne worsen my skin?
- Can Kyleena cause acne?
- Can Soolantra be used for acne?
- What is the difference between Altreno and other topical tretinoin acne formulations?
Related support groups
- Isotretinoin (11 questions, 73 members)
- Accutane (42 questions, 245 members)
- Acne (131 questions, 1,021 members)