User Reviews for Accutane

Accutane has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 611 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of those users who reviewed Accutane reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Acne
10.0
Summary of Accutane reviews 8.0 611 reviews

Reviews for Accutane

MrsE · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2021

For Acne: “I just wanted to come on here and let anyone that was thinking about taking this terrible prescription know what happened to my mother. She took it for 4-6 months in 2007-2008 and it devastated her body. Before she was a healthy woman after she fought skin lesions, sores, severe arthritis, carpal tunnel, severe stomach issues, depression, anxiety, & suicidal thoughts. She had seen LOTS of doctors and most told her it was all in her head or something of the sorts. After 12 years of battling severe pain mentally and physically she took her own life a week ago. It may not happen to everyone but I just wanted to let everyone know what the possibility was.”

jonjo · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2021

For Acne: “Two courses did not work (acne came back twice) and gave me chronic long-term side effects.”

Goldilocks · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2021

For Acne: “I started this medication 3 months ago and today my doctor and I decided to stop taking it. 2 months into it, I developed severe depression, pretty much all of the side effects that it lists on the inside of the medicine packet. Aggressiveness, irritability, crying spells, feelings of worthlessness and guilt, the list goes on. It cleared my moderate acne very well so I was very disappointed that I had to stop, but I didn’t know if the depression would stay with me in the long term if I stuck with it. In the first month I took two weeks off due to it causing back pain. I also had dry scalp, minimal lip dryness, and purging. Although this medication was not for me, my brother took it when he was a teenager and he had great results. His face is clear and as far as I know he hasn’t had one pimple pop back up. Hope this helps.”

Nana T · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2020

For Acne: “I've been taking isotretinoin for about 6 weeks now. I'm still in the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage, but wow, my dark spots are slowly fading and I can't believe it. I've battled acne for 6 years, 6!!! So you can imagine how bad my dark spots are from the acne. I just want to trust the process. If you are in this stage as well and feel like giving up, DON'T. WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!”

terrible times April 7, 2020

For Acne: “THIS DRUG IS POISON. PLEASE CARE FOR YOURSELF. Accutane ruined my life. I took 80mg of Accutane for 9 months @ 18 yrs old. I has cystic acne on my back & face. I tried birth control, antibiotics, & topical creams. So my derm recommended this. Side effects: dry skin all over, chapped lips, eczema, brittle nails. Vision problems, waking up in morning with my eyes sealed shut with pus, and dry eyes. Lips were a huge scab. Normal & monthly checkups/blood tests. I had dime sized blisters on my body from a sunburn. 6 months: body aches that made it difficult to sleep, poor digestion, hemorrhoids, bloody stools, & sad. Months 7-9: MY HAIR FELL OUT. I lost 80% of my hair, in pain & depressed. 9 months : finished treatment, I was "cured" of my acne. I was bald, poor vision & in pain mentally and physically. 3 months, my acne came back WORSE. My derm said to do round 2 of accutane & I told her never to recommend it to anyone. It is SO TOXIC for your body. Please do not take this drug.”

Lost12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

For Acne: “I promised myself that if this worked, then I would write a review to hopefully help other patients out who are hesitant about taking Accutane. I have been taking Accutane (40 mg/day) for 4 months now. I am 5'5 and 138 pounds. I can say that Accutane *works* better than any other acne medication (the other medication I tried was Spiro, which helped my face acne by like 75% but did nothing for my back/chest acne). I have tried and I had minimal side effects (dry skin, some fatigue, increased sun sensitivity, dry lips, dry eyes) but that is all. It was all worth it though. It not only got rid of my cystic acne but also got rid of my closed comedones and the sebaceous filaments on my nose. My ONLY regret is not taking this sooner. If you have pitted scarring or your skin scars easily, please take this. I have nothing but positive things to say about Accutane.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

For Acne: “I TOOK THIS POISON FOR 6 months and it completely RUINED MY HAIR FOR LIFE it changed my hair texture. I have thinning hair and it won’t grow long anymore. I have an itchy sensation on scalp due to hair loss and it torments me everyday. I can’t even look at myself in the mirror anymore, trust me I’d rather have acne than lose my hair. Now it’s made me more insecure. YOU'RE ROLLING THE DICE BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE GETS THESE SIDE EFFECTS IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE KNOW THIS MEDICATION COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE BALDING I WOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN IT. ”

therealdeal · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

For Acne: “I have had acne since I was a teen. I am now 37. I have tried minocycline, expensive acne products, etc. Nothing ever worked. In your thirties with acne is pretty embarrassing. Also I’d cover it up with makeup and then that looks worse! I went to a dermatologist and she recommended accutane. I AM SO THANKFUL!!! My skin has never been clearer! I get compliments all the time from people who have known me. No side effects here :)”

Anna West October 3, 2016

For Acne: “I was depressed by my acne but was hesitant to try Accutane because I feared the side effects. After months of researching reviews and testimonies I finally decided to try it. I never write reviews but I want to share my story because accutane worked for me. It changed my life and self-esteem. I experienced very little side effects while taking it. My acne did get worse before it got better, but I've been off accutane for almost two years and my skin has stayed clear. I had hoped to come across a review like this while I was researching the drug, and I hope this is reassuring to people who need it.”

smiley January 25, 2020

For Acne: “Honestly I came into this drug thinking it would be really awful but it has been easy as. My acne was never severe in the first place but I did have stubborn pimples. I’m on month 3 and my lips aren’t chapped at all (thank goodness) and my skin isn't dry either. Only side effect is back pain which is tolerable!!! The second I start to feel the aquaphor on my lips go away I apply it again (which is why my lips aren’t dry, they don’t get a chance to get dry). If ur thinking about taking this DO IT. It’s not as bad as people make it seem to be”

Thato · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

For Acne: “I find that Accutane is one of the most life changing experiences. Started to notice a huge difference in my skin on month 2. Treatment is very harsh with many side effects. Dry and thin skin, breakouts now and then, very dry eyes. I tried all type of blistex lip balms which did not help. Baseline blueseal works wonders on the lips and even on dry area ok the skin. I apply sun screen everyday with nutraderm lotion to hydrate my skin. I also find that it really helps to have at least 3 litres of water everyday. I'm currently in the middle of month 3 of treatment and the past few weeks have been the hardest. Skin and lips is dryer than ever and loss of hair. Some days depression kicks in so it is important to keep your loved ones around you just to have some positivity. This treatment is quite costly but it is all worth it at the end. A few months of side effects and praying the price for a life long great skin and confident you.”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2020

For Acne: “I was on Accutane for 6 months at 80mg/day. I finished about 8 months ago and my skin is still very clear. The "it gets worse before it gets better" line is very true. My skin was bad for the first three months I was on Accutane but then slowly improved the last three months. My worst side effects were lower back pain, dry skin, and dry eyes. These side effects went away after I finished. I highly recommend taking Accutane. Although it is hard having your skin be bad for a couple months straight, it is definitely worth it. One thing they don't really tell you about is the blood work and pregnancy test you have to do once a month before getting your new packet for that month. This was kind of annoying but if everything checks out in the first couple of months you don't have to keep doing it.”

JDOE · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2020

For Acne: “There is no doubt this drug Accutane works initially but the long-term side affects and long-term success are definitely questionable. I took accutane for 6 months and yes it cleared my skin completely but at what cost? My skin was pink/red, dry & extremely sensitive to sunlight. 12 months after I came off accutane my acne returned exactly as it was before. Not only that but I now suffer from rosacea, I cannot tan especially on my face, I have a red face all the time & I blush when drinking. I never had severe acne and honestly wish I had never taken this medication as the side-effects are worse than the initial acne. Give it some serious though and please only take if you have severe acne.”

Miss-tee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Acne: “I am on 10mg oratane dose, one pill a day. I had very oily skin, mild pimples that would break out every third week and lots of blackhead which are gone and skin no longer oily. I am happy with the results so far in my second month now. The negative part about taking the meds is the side effects, sore joints, dry eyes and nose, very thin skin and the worst it has to be my lips, chapped, red, dry and extremely sore I even thought of quitting the meds.”

Sunnyfl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2020

For Acne: “I took this 20 years ago for awful acne that I had fought from nearly 13 to 20 years old. I was terrified to take it, but I had tried every option. It cleared me up completely. I had minimal side effects and MUCH higher self esteem finally. I finally felt attractive and I honestly think , had I taken it sooner, my life would be different in some ways. My son is now taking it for the awful, cystic acne I've passed down to him! The dryness bothers him some, and at 2 months in he's not seeing the difference he wants, but I'm telling him to push through.”

Hopeful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2019

For Rosacea: “My rosacea got progressively worse in my late twenties. After seeing several different dermatologists and trying various medications and topical treatments accutane is the only thing that has worked for me. I started on taking 20mg daily and after approx 4 months gradually reduced to 20mg every 3/4 days. I now hardly ever get any spots at all and my skin condition is 100x better! I know it comes with risks but it has truly been life changing for me personally so far outweighs the other risks. Reducing stress was also a major reducing factor I believe. Although it’s hard not to be in the vicious cycle of stress when you check your face 1000 times a day! I used to spend hours and hours looking at this forum and across the Internet in desperation looking for something that might work and some reassurance from others that I’m not the only one battling this miserable condition. I just hope this helps anyone know they’re not alone!”

Dee June 2, 2020

For Acne: “If you have tried everything else and failed, then Accutane is the way to go. It never fails. Of course some will need a higher dosage than others or longer period of time depending on how bad the acne is. I was on a one pill per day option for 4 months. Within 2 months most of my pimples had cleared and only had spots. I was happy. But the side effects are also not very pretty. But I think it is a small price to pay for clearer skin forever. I had really dry lips. Had to drink water all the time. I actually used to sleep with a bottle and some vaseline to use during night. My whole body was extremely dry including my private parts. Had small nosebleeds. But I'd try to put vaseline with an earbud in my nose to avoid drying up. My face was very sensitive. I was lucky all this happened during lockdown so I was in the house for quite some time. In my third to fourth month every side effect became worse.”

Melanie69 September 4, 2016

For Acne: “I went on Accutane 25 years ago for mild acne. As a young woman you do not want to be worried about pimples on your face. I went on the standard dose - 40mg a day. I had mild dry lips - buy Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour lip cream it's great. My skin afterwards was amazing and I did not have a pimple for 20 years afterwards. Just people raving about how perfect my skin was. I'm now 46 and in excellent health so for me there are no long term effects at all. Don't believe the horror stories on the Internet by people with an axe to grind. Accutane is the only drug that works for acne and for many people it is a permanent cure. I recommended it to a work colleague with severe cystic acne - now she has perfect skin too and it's changed her life.”

A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 7, 2020

For Acne: “The only drug that worked for my severe cystic acne. I had tried so many other topical ointments, antibiotics, and facial washes before finally trying this drug as a last resort. 8 years later, and my skin is still extremely clear. I was on this drug for a total of 8 months and had side effects such as constipation in the beginning, some occasional joint pain when I would lie down or get up, a few styes, and VERY severe, frequent nosebleeds that were very annoying. I wouldn’t recommend trying this medication if you haven’t been on anything else before yet for cystic acne, but if you’ve already tried everything and you’re at the end of your rope, try it! It even worked for the body acne I had on my back. The severe, permanent lasting side effects are usually very rare and it’s more than worth the risk if your skin is really suffering.”

Anonymous June 2, 2008

For Acne: “I took accutane in the early 1980's after years of unsuccessful treatment by dermatologists. I was given every antibiotic available, had ultra-violet light treatment, dry ice treatments, liquid nitrogen treatments and then finally X-Ray treatments. None of these worked. Accutane cleared my skin quickly and I haven't had a problem in almost 25 years. I had no serious side effects.”

Ally · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2019

For Acne: “If you are googling accutane and reading this please be open minded about the medication. My biggest problem was I googled everything before taking it and had my funeral planned. For me accutane has been a life changer!!! I’ve had none of the side effects or anything I read or heard was even true. I didn’t break out more, never got depressed, bones didn’t hurt none of the above! Only clear skin and some dry lips at times. I took 60mg daily for 4 months. I’m 5 foot 105 lbs... they base it off weight. My dermatologist had me try everything under the sun and nothing worked but this. She swore by it and told me 1% of people get all those gnarly side effects and to try it and worse case scenario you stop taking it and we explore other options. I’m telling you, try it!!!! Be open minded and grateful that there is something out there for us pimple oil heads.”

Melly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2019

For Acne: “IF YOUR DEBATING TO TAKE THIS MEDICATION OR NOT , PLEASE DO IT! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. I suffered from cystic acne and my dermatologist recommended me this drug and I read reviews on it and there was so many bad reviews and so many negative things towards Accutane but I promise you its not as bad as people put it out to be. Although everyones experience on Accutane is different, mine was very good. By the first month I saw change. Some of the side effects that I experienced was sore muscles in the first month. Also another side effect was dryness, OMG when I tell you my skin was dry. The products I used was Cetaphil as a gentle wash and CeraVe as a moisturizer and that's it. Do not use anything more than that, your skin is so fragile and sensitive while on Accutane. My HOLY GRAIL item was CARMEX for my lips. Finally I just wanna say regardless of the side effects on Accutane, it was worth it I promise you! If you have cystic acne and want to get rid of it PLEASE TAKE THIS!”

TrendyMom October 6, 2019

For Acne: “Our son started struggling with acne around age of 12 and we tried everything over the counter and things just weren't improving. When he was 13 we started seeing a dermatologist, I did not want to try Accutane. I was worried about side affects. We continued to see the dermatologist and continue treatment but never did get on the Accutane until about a year later when he turned 14. His acne was getting so bad that his skin was starting to show some minor pitting and he didn't want to take off his shirt. Because of the acne all over his chest and back. After four months we started seeing improvement and he was off of it at the eighth month. It has been over a year since he completed his treatment and he is still acne free! The side effects that he experienced were extremely dry skin and he was very moody during hus eight months of treatment! All this being said it was well worth it for him! I am so thankful that we took this medicine.”

La · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

For Acne: “I took Accutane at age 40 and I regret not taking it sooner. My skin & lips did not become overly dry. I did have blood work done every month & signed paperwork saying I would use birth control. This medication changed my life. My face cleared up almost immediately. No more embarrassing cystic acne that kept me from enjoying my life. I had read horror stories, but spoke to several people who had success with this drug. For me it was worth the risk. I tried creams, lotions, potions, multiple antibiotics, and nothing worked.”

sccali · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2014

For Acne: “When I was 17, I began to develop bad acne. My face (mainly around my mouth) developed cystic pimples. My self esteem dropped and I became depressed and anti-social. I tried all sorts of creams, gels, antibiotics, and spironolactone. Nothing worked permanently. I finally decided to try Accutane. I AM SO GLAD I DID! I experienced zero side effects and within 2 months my skin was completely clear. Every month my skin became clearer. A year and a half after finishing Accutane my skin is still clear. My self esteem is 10000x better than before and I no longer am afraid to look people in the eye or leave the house without pounds of make up on. I was on Accutane for 6 months and experienced zero depression.”

Bri55 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2014

For Acne: “I tried literally everything from the "best" off the shelf products to the long line of prescription medications that my dermatologist put me on, I finally got put on Accutane after 5 years of severe cystic acne. I am currently in my second month of use and without any acne. My acne scars remain intact, however, there is not a single active zit on my face. I am very excited and would recommend that anyone with cystic acne look into it. If you're on here looking at these reviews because you're scared or unsure if it will treat your acne, I'm telling you it will! 100%”

Jessica October 10, 2019

For Acne: “I had cystic acne for a while and it was honestly just the worst. I hated taking any kinds of pictures and showing my face anywhere. Besides that, it was just plain out painful! I went to my dermatologist and she started me on Accutane. It took about 2-3 months before I started seeing significant differences, but after that it just kept getting better. All of my acne is completely gone now and you can’t see any scarring. I do have some freckles so it covers up whatever little dots are left behind from permanent scarring but there are barely any anyways. The only real problems I had was dry lips and scalp. I made sure to always have chapstick on me and I went through many a hair mask, but I have no other complaints. With that, I know people have some emotional problems but I can say I had none, although I was way more confident with my appearance. I was very very skeptical at first with all the crazy side affects, but I can say I am so grateful I did it!”

Pete · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 4, 2018

For Acne: “I had to take two courses, genuinely think this drug saved my life. I had beyond severe painful, bulging, cystic acne everywhere that nothing worked with while in high school. I had to wear undershirts because I would bleed through my shirts. Had to quit sports because any contact would cause bleeding, not to mention pain. Was essentially bullied out of high school due to the severity of my skin, I literally to this day have never seen anyone with as bad of acne as I had. It completely cleared up my skin after the first course, after a few months, it did come back, pretty harshly by most people’s standards, but literally nothing in comparison to what it was. I took another course, and I have clear skin to this day, 6 years later with minimal scarring. Only side effect I had was dry everything, skin eyes nose lips. People say it causes depression, I think having severe acne is much more likely to cause depression then accutane”