User Reviews for Accutane

Acne
8.3

Summary of Accutane reviews 8.3 492 reviews

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "Accutane does do the job, it does clear your acne however it does take a while to do so, especially if you’re put on a low dose like I was. As well as this, although I am so happy I don’t have acne anymore as it was ruining my life and my self confidence, the side effects of accutane were horrendous for me. My skin started going scaly because it was so dry, literally everywhere. My hair stopped growing and got so dry damaged and thin to the point where I’ve had to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, and it also made my mood change quite a lot too. A few months later, I did notice that I was getting spots again, not as bad as my acne before but still. I’ve started using cepton skin wash and that works amazing. I guess you have to weigh up the side effects versus how bad your acne is. If you’ve tried everything else and nothing works and your acne gets you down, then I think accutane is for you. The main thing is that it does work but the side effects do have to be considered!"

pops19 August 14, 2018

For Acne "Please whatever you do DO NOT take this medicine or let anyone you know take it!!!! My 21 year old cousin took this medicine and within two months her kidneys shut down and caused a ton of other issues to the point that she was put on life support for a week and almost lost her life. She still has a long road ahead and will never have the health she had before. Her kidneys are still not working at this time and she will probably have to have a kidney transplant. A clear face is NOT worth losing your life!!!"

Almost died (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

For Acne "I suffered severe acne for more than 20 years before I tried accutane. It basically cured my acne almost completely. I don't have much side effects, if any. I gained quite a bit weight but I think it has more to do with my age and lack of exercise. A lot of people mentioned terrible side effects. I personally didn't feel anything on accutane, which is rare because I always feel something when I take most other medication. My advise is to start off with low dose and work it up according to your weight. Side effect will be minimal with low dose. You can always stop if you experience strong side effects.I was told to take Accutane with a fatty meal. This is the best advice that I can give to anyone who suffers from severe acne. Don't waste your time and money with antibiotic and any topical treatment. You will always have bacteria on your skin. The root of acne is over-production of oil from sebaceous gland."

Gary (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Acne "After years of trying ALL the cheap, expensive, and middle of the road things, then the rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, FINALLY I was prescribed accutane. It took months. I was on a low dose - 20 mg every second day, then slowly up to 20mg a day, then alternating between 20/40. First, the acne became a little worse. THINGS CAME OUT OF MY FACE PEOPLE. After about 3 months, all those tiny little bumps started to disappear. By 6-8 months, the main offenders had diminished. A year on, I still take 20/40 on alternate days. My skin is honestly amazing. Smooth. No breakouts. Subterranean hell cysts gone. I wear sunscreen religiously. It took months, but was well worth it. No side effects for me, except the need to have a seriously good lip balm at all times (I recommend dermal, nothing else seems to cut it)."

Flossie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2018

For Acne "I first started treatment in February 2018 and my treatment is now ended (July 2018). My main concern was the initial breakout, but I didn’t have one! I had maybe a few spots more than usual but my skin would break out so often it made no difference. The first thing I noticed was within 2 weeks my skin was no longer oily and after 2 months my skin was almost clear! I haven’t had a spot for a month now and I feel so confident! I do have dry lips and nose bleeds sometimes but no other side effects and no emotional problems either, cannot recommend highly enough, however side effects can be worse on some people so though definitely needs to go into it."

Cheerleader29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

For Acne "I always told myself I was gonna post a before and after picture of my acne but I never had enough balls, so here it is!! I have had cystic acne for a couple years now and it put a huge damper on my self confidence. After trying every single kind of cream, antibiotic, and diet (I even went vegan), I finally found a doctor who believed that I had been through enough and put me on Accutane. Although it’s a really powerful drug with some potentially hideous side effects, it has been a life changer. Don’t ever let someone with perfect skin tell you that “acne doesn’t matter” or that “you’re acne isn’t even that bad”. YOUR FACE IS THE FIRST THING THAT PEOPLE SEE!"

Meag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2018

For Acne "I went on Accutane 1982. I had chronic acne on my shoulders and back. My lips and nose immediately dried up, cracked and bled. My eyes got so dry I constantly had to use drops. My joints started to ache constantly. My thick hair and eye lashes started falling out. My arm hair, under arms and legs stopped growing. My eyebrows decided to almost disappear. My hair on my head never returned to its original thickness nor my eye lashes or eyebrows. The hair on my arms, legs and underarms all but disappeared. I got extremely tired for a full year. It did clear up my acne issues. My biggest complaint is JOINT PAIN! I STILL HAVE IT 36 YEARS LATER. I would joke that I felt like a cancer patient going through chemo, so tired, losing hair. I never knew it was originally for chemotherapy treatments until 2016. I discovered others were having joint pain 20 to 30 years later also. Wish there would have been some kind of recognition that joint pain is permanent side effect from accutane."

Gawarf May 30, 2018

For Acne "Oratane - 20mg, first 2 weeks one tablet a day 2 tablets a day(40mg) until further assessment. I have seen improvements where I would normally have cysts(lower jaw, cheeks and mouth) BUT I'm breaking out all over my forehead, lips and shoulders which I have never experienced before. I have seen my derm yesterday and he prescribed me Panafcort (Prednsione) 25mg, 2 tablets once a day for 4 days. It is a strong oral steroid treatment that within 7 hours I have already seen a difference! SIDE EFFECTS: Headaches up the back of my neck and in my eyes Dryness (moderate) Nausea Dry scalp - solved with slathering my scalp and hair ends in coconut oil, massaging it in and sitting with it for 20/30 mins! do not DO NOT drink alcohol in excess. you will be terribly sick (vomiting) and hungover. "

Allaboutbrie May 28, 2018

For Acne "I was badly broken out with not many scars on my face . I tried everything , benzac and clemskin cream work only for 3 months after that they were showing no effect on skin. I continue to break out badly . Then my dermatologist gave me isotretinoin (Accutane ) with z-caps (zinc and other vitamins) and face wash and here I am with clean and clear skin with some minor pimples. But ,that's okay. Precautions: 1.Don't touch your acne 2.Avoid oily food, sweets , dairy and bread. 3.apply some moisturizer as accutane makes it skin dry Accutane sometimes work for some people and sometimes doesn't but it worked for me. Good luck!!!"

Vivek May 25, 2018

For Acne "My son was on accutane. We put it off for years because of things we read online. He had bad cystic acne. We tried everything and nothing worked permanently. This went on for 6 years until we were so desperate we agreed he would try it at age 17. It worked! He has been off now for 5 months and is still clear. I wish we would have done it sooner because now he has some scarring from the many years of cystic acne. He did not have any major side effects. Just dry lips. I would tell parents not to be scared of this medication like we were. It is worth it."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Acne "I was prescribed Accutane last year and was on it from March 2017 to August 2017. I was 42 years old at the time and had been struggling with moderate acne for years. It seemed to be worse as an adult compared to my teenage years. Accutane was the best thing I could do for my skin. I had tried antibiotics, birth control pills, proactive and other topical medication, but would only see temporary results. I have had a history of depression and was worried about trying Accutane. During the course of treatment I had no depression only very dry lips and minor joint pain in my knees. Now my skin is completely clear and I can go without makeup. I now feel much better about myself and would do it all over again if I had to."

JJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018

For Acne "It honestly it changed my life. My skin was SO bad and I was embarrassed to even go to school. I had cystic acne on my forehead and cheeks and it was so ugly. But after 5 months on accutane my skin was completely clear, and my skin type went from extremely oily to normal. It boosted my self confidence and I go makeup-less all the time, whereas in the past I wouldn’t be caught dead without a full face of makeup. I had dry skin and lips but nothing that chapstick and moisturizer couldn’t fix. Don’t be scared off by all of the side effects, most of the time they aren’t very intense."

liv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2018

For Acne "Horrible dry lips, hair loss and joint pain still after 6 years off of the drug. Don’t take this poison."

Chris (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

For Acne "My daughter started accutane at 14 years old after struggling with acne and self-confidence issues for years. She had moderate face acne but severe chest and back acne. She tried antibiotics, topicals and birth control. The birth control was mildly successfully but didn't treat her back. We made the decision to try accutane to get rid of her acne once and for all. I am writing this as a very nervous mom who was extremely worried about the side effects. I did not want her to do it but two dermatologists recommended and she was willing to make the commitment. In her 5 months on 60 mgs a day, the worst side effects were very chapped lips and dry skin. All her blood tests were fine but slightly inconvenient. Her results have been excellent. Her back and chest are completely clear with an occasional pimple on her face. 5 months after finishing, my daughter is beyond happy with her results. Do your homework, but if your dermatologist recommends, seriously consider it."

JJ April 13, 2018

For Acne "I had to stop taking isotretinoin after 3 months to save my relationship with my fiancé and myself. At first I was prescribed 60mg daily (F, 107-112lb, 25 yrs old), clinical depression and fatigue hit me. I mean, I dreaded taking showers because it was too much work! My doc lowered my dose to 50mg daily and I cried every single day for the next 2 months. The medication changed me completely. Anyways, I am so glad I got over my stubbornness to “stick it out for clear skin” for the sake of my mental health. I feel happy again! "

My experience April 8, 2018

For Acne "I was in my mid-20's when I took accutane after what seemed like, a lifetime of acne that wrecked my self esteem. I had tried everything else out there; creams, ointments, antibiotics, etc...nothing worked! As with any drug, there are side effects. I experienced very dry flaky skin on my face and lips, and yes, depression. I thought the depression was due to the flaky skin (not fun going to work with a lot of skin peeling off your face), but, turns out it was a side effect. I only took it for approximately two months and all acne was gone! For good! Here we are about 20 years later and it has never come back! I love my face now! If you can withstand the side effects, is the best drug for severe cystic acne."

AS (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

For Acne "I started this drug because I suffered from acne my entire life. Tried countless medications from my doctor with nothing being successful. It wasn’t until I was 24 years old and after a year of studying this drug and contemplating it, I decided to take the plunge! The side effects suck. Extremely dry lips (like I’m talking can’t even talk without your lips being moisturized. Vaseline!),some chest pain, sore joints, heartburn (if accutane isn’t taken with food), dry nostrils, dry skin, eczema, very low endurance, painful bowel movement. (Yeah. I got it bad) BUT they are different for everyone, and it worked for me! If I had the choice to do it again knowing what I know now, I would,100%. It honestly renews your skin. Old acne scars I had for 8 years were gone! It does get worse before it gets better but is worth it! Only reason for my 9/10 is because the side effects would have been tough to deal with without support and encouragement. So make sure you have tons of that!Good luck!"

SW77 March 14, 2018

For Acne "Accutane literally began working in a week. It was nearly a miracle. But it has super strange and horrible less known side effect: arthritis. Yes, being on this gives some women a temporary form of arthritis, especially in their hips. I've been on it for 3 months now, I haven't had dry skin, I use plenty of home-made moisturizers. My lips peel completely about 5 times a day which is painful and gross. And I'm in constant pain from my hips down. I have a less common form of arthritis already, but for 3 months my hip (just one) has been in CONSTANT agony. It's common for this pain, and it will go away after Accutane, and he suggested that I stop if the pain is so bad, but it's been working MIRACLES on my face so I didn't want to stop now, just for the acne to come back. I'm on 40mg a day, that's only about half of what I should be taking for my body weight (the miligrams you should take is related to how much you weight). It's even helping my scarring and discoloration."

dawn19825 March 11, 2018

For Acne "Four years ago I took Accutane for 5months. It worked for my horrible acne and I haven't had any breakouts since, but shortly after taking it I had side effects of hair loss and ingrown toenails to the point it was 1/2inch ingrown. Now four years later I continue to have ingrown toenails, I've had the surgically removed at least twice a year. It seems to be never ending."

Bailey March 11, 2018

For Acne "Accutane has worked very well for me. Going in on month two soon and have seen amazing results. Before taking this I had very bad acne on my chin and neck area. One month in and almost all of it is gone. The only side affects I have had are dry skin and chapped lips. But I knew this may happen."

Matt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

For Acne "Everyone is different, whilst it is a good idea to do the research don’t let it stop you. My mum put it off for a while because I’m a teenager and she was worried about the whole “depression” side of things - yet again everyone reacts differently to the drug. So just some reassurance to parents out there, acne is depressing in itself, giving your kid the chance to be able to have good skin personally I think is the best thing to do! Has worked insanely good!"

taz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2018

For Acne "Accutane was probably the best thing I've done so far in my life. I had heard awful things about the drug and people's experiences just didn't sound pleasant so I was rather worried. Thankfully I blocked out everything I read online and decided to try it for myself. The first few months I was confused because yes my skin was dry but nothing like people had been saying. I had a few aches and pains in my body which were annoying but nothing that stop me doing my day to day tasks. I also felt a bit more tired than normal but again, nothing crazy. At month 3 my skin was worse than ever, very dry and very very raw. This was the worst thing about the drug is that it gets worse before it gets better. Hang on in there, things change. From that point it started improving like never before. My advice is to not read negative reviews. Everyone has a different experience it so don't be put off. However, the drug does come with side effects you should be aware of. Just take caution."

Olivia March 4, 2018

For Acne "I started taking this in the summer of 2016 and it worked very well at removing my severe acne after about 6 months. But during this time I started feeling very low and anxious, and gave me depression and anxiety and had to leave university because of this. It worked wonders on my skin, despite not completing the full course, but I would truly truly urge anyone to be very aware of this drugs side effects and to stop taking it if they begin to feel similar to how I did."

person March 1, 2018

For Acne "I have just started my 50MG prescription today - I am 28 and have suffered acne since I was 12, my skin is quite badly damaged from it, so here's hoping this works - I have read mixed side affects, feel weary but after years of acne and damaged skin, I think it's worth the try at least as there is more positive stories than negative "

Stacey (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

For Acne "I finished my accutane treatment but the effects last forever for me. Now I have permanent dry eyes, skin, and sore muscles. I have to take supplements everyday and eye drops like retasis every day for the rest of my life!"

Kendra0010 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018