User Reviews for Accutane

7.2

2 reviews
Summary of Accutane reviews 8.3 481 reviews

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "My daughter started accutane at 14 years old after struggling with acne and self-confidence issues for years. She had moderate face acne but severe chest and back acne. She tried antibiotics, topicals and birth control. The birth control was mildly successfully but didn't treat her back. We made the decision to try accutane to get rid of her acne once and for all. I am writing this as a very nervous mom who was extremely worried about the side effects. I did not want her to do it but two dermatologists recommended and she was willing to make the commitment. In her 5 months on 60 mgs a day, the worst side effects were very chapped lips and dry skin. All her blood tests were fine but slightly inconvenient. Her results have been excellent. Her back and chest are completely clear with an occasional pimple on her face. 5 months after finishing, my daughter is beyond happy with her results. Do your homework, but if your dermatologist recommends, seriously consider it."

JJ April 13, 2018

For Acne "I had to stop taking isotretinoin after 3 months to save my relationship with my fiancé and myself. At first I was prescribed 60mg daily (F, 107-112lb, 25 yrs old), clinical depression and fatigue hit me. I mean, I dreaded taking showers because it was too much work! My doc lowered my dose to 50mg daily and I cried every single day for the next 2 months. The medication changed me completely. Anyways, I am so glad I got over my stubbornness to “stick it out for clear skin” for the sake of my mental health. I feel happy again! "

My experience April 8, 2018

For Acne "I was in my mid-20's when I took accutane after what seemed like, a lifetime of acne that wrecked my self esteem. I had tried everything else out there; creams, ointments, antibiotics, etc...nothing worked! As with any drug, there are side effects. I experienced very dry flaky skin on my face and lips, and yes, depression. I thought the depression was due to the flaky skin (not fun going to work with a lot of skin peeling off your face), but, turns out it was a side effect. I only took it for approximately two months and all acne was gone! For good! Here we are about 20 years later and it has never come back! I love my face now! If you can withstand the side effects, is the best drug for severe cystic acne."

AS (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

For Acne "I started this drug because I suffered from acne my entire life. Tried countless medications from my doctor with nothing being successful. It wasn’t until I was 24 years old and after a year of studying this drug and contemplating it, I decided to take the plunge! The side effects suck. Extremely dry lips (like I’m talking can’t even talk without your lips being moisturized. Vaseline!),some chest pain, sore joints, heartburn (if accutane isn’t taken with food), dry nostrils, dry skin, eczema, very low endurance, painful bowel movement. (Yeah. I got it bad) BUT they are different for everyone, and it worked for me! If I had the choice to do it again knowing what I know now, I would,100%. It honestly renews your skin. Old acne scars I had for 8 years were gone! It does get worse before it gets better but is worth it! Only reason for my 9/10 is because the side effects would have been tough to deal with without support and encouragement. So make sure you have tons of that!Good luck!"

SW77 March 14, 2018

For Acne "Accutane literally began working in a week. It was nearly a miracle. But it has super strange and horrible less known side effect: arthritis. Yes, being on this gives some women a temporary form of arthritis, especially in their hips. I've been on it for 3 months now, I haven't had dry skin, I use plenty of home-made moisturizers. My lips peel completely about 5 times a day which is painful and gross. And I'm in constant pain from my hips down. I have a less common form of arthritis already, but for 3 months my hip (just one) has been in CONSTANT agony. It's common for this pain, and it will go away after Accutane, and he suggested that I stop if the pain is so bad, but it's been working MIRACLES on my face so I didn't want to stop now, just for the acne to come back. I'm on 40mg a day, that's only about half of what I should be taking for my body weight (the miligrams you should take is related to how much you weight). It's even helping my scarring and discoloration."

dawn19825 March 11, 2018

For Acne "Four years ago I took Accutane for 5months. It worked for my horrible acne and I haven't had any breakouts since, but shortly after taking it I had side effects of hair loss and ingrown toenails to the point it was 1/2inch ingrown. Now four years later I continue to have ingrown toenails, I've had the surgically removed at least twice a year. It seems to be never ending."

Bailey March 11, 2018

For Acne "Accutane has worked very well for me. Going in on month two soon and have seen amazing results. Before taking this I had very bad acne on my chin and neck area. One month in and almost all of it is gone. The only side affects I have had are dry skin and chapped lips. But I knew this may happen."

Matt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

For Acne "Everyone is different, whilst it is a good idea to do the research don’t let it stop you. My mum put it off for a while because I’m a teenager and she was worried about the whole “depression” side of things - yet again everyone reacts differently to the drug. So just some reassurance to parents out there, acne is depressing in itself, giving your kid the chance to be able to have good skin personally I think is the best thing to do! Has worked insanely good!"

taz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2018

For Acne "Accutane was probably the best thing I've done so far in my life. I had heard awful things about the drug and people's experiences just didn't sound pleasant so I was rather worried. Thankfully I blocked out everything I read online and decided to try it for myself. The first few months I was confused because yes my skin was dry but nothing like people had been saying. I had a few aches and pains in my body which were annoying but nothing that stop me doing my day to day tasks. I also felt a bit more tired than normal but again, nothing crazy. At month 3 my skin was worse than ever, very dry and very very raw. This was the worst thing about the drug is that it gets worse before it gets better. Hang on in there, things change. From that point it started improving like never before. My advice is to not read negative reviews. Everyone has a different experience it so don't be put off. However, the drug does come with side effects you should be aware of. Just take caution."

Olivia March 4, 2018

For Acne "I started taking this in the summer of 2016 and it worked very well at removing my severe acne after about 6 months. But during this time I started feeling very low and anxious, and gave me depression and anxiety and had to leave university because of this. It worked wonders on my skin, despite not completing the full course, but I would truly truly urge anyone to be very aware of this drugs side effects and to stop taking it if they begin to feel similar to how I did."

person March 1, 2018

For Acne "I have just started my 50MG prescription today - I am 28 and have suffered acne since I was 12, my skin is quite badly damaged from it, so here's hoping this works - I have read mixed side affects, feel weary but after years of acne and damaged skin, I think it's worth the try at least as there is more positive stories than negative "

Stacey (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

For Acne "I finished my accutane treatment but the effects last forever for me. Now I have permanent dry eyes, skin, and sore muscles. I have to take supplements everyday and eye drops like retasis every day for the rest of my life!"

Kendra0010 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018

For Acne "I started getting really severe acne around 7th grade and tried everything: topicals, antibiotics, natural remedies, etc. no matter what I did my acne wouldn’t go away. When I got to 9th grade, it was so bad that I couldn’t even look people in the eyes anymore- my acne completely destroyed my self confidence. Finally my dermatologist recommended accutane, and it was fantastic. I dealt with very dry skin and lots of sensitivity, but the ability to be confident in your own skin was worth so much more. Buy the end of the 6 months, my skin was absolutely clear for 3 years. Unfortunately I had a flare up in November that has transformed into a massive ordeal. I will be going through accutane a second time and hopefully it sticks for good! Great skin is a blessing, and I now know I took it for granted when I had it."

Claire416 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Acne "My problem is that they give you this after they make you spend a lot of money and other medicines that you don't need just so they can get some kickbacks from drug company's. I have almost zero respect for a lot of doctors out there. Every single person I know that has tried this drug it's worked on but they won't give it to you until after you tried a million and one other topical meds that are useless"

prevayl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2018

For Acne "This drug almost killed me, it made my acne go away perfectly but after the 3rd month I was forced to go off of it because I ended up in a very dark place. Don’t use if depression is in your genes"

Sjenen sdSierra January 21, 2018

For Acne "I've struggled with acne since probably age 12/13 and now I am 20 years old. Accutane is a miracle drug. I was very skeptical at first, but I'm telling you it is WORTH IT. I had the mild side effects like very dry skin on my arms, legs, and chapped lips. But they weren't as bad as it seemed and it was kept under control by sensitive moisturizer and lotion. Aquaphor for the lips was awesome! First two months my acne got a little worse and then boom by month three I was seeing major improvements. Month four and five I was reaching to almost clear skin! Now I am on my last month (6) and my acne is gone. No pimples. I actually feel confident in my skin now. My experience was great and I definitely recommend. Give it a try!"

KassidyB January 19, 2018

For Acne "I took this for acne on my back. It cleared it up and haven’t had a recurrence in 40 years. The only side effect was dry lips."

Anonymous January 6, 2018

For Acne "Made my acne 10x worse. I now have horrible scarring that I would have never had without it. Made me depressed and really dark thoughts. Would not recommend."

Nc98 January 4, 2018

For Acne "The medication was able to remove all of my acne effectively and I was very happy with the results for few months then after I finished the drug course which was was about 6 months the acne started to show again. The reason for that could be because I didn’t use any preventative treatment afterwards like cream or something Ps : side effects of the drug were pretty depressing like : dryness of hand palms and eyes and eyelids , severe dryness of lips"

Shahad r December 25, 2017

For Acne "Honestly, I believe Accutane is great, I was doubting it in the start but here is my story. I'm currently 17, 18 in two months, so for the past three years I had been in severe depression because of acne, I have tried everything, tactuo, antibiotics, ointment, oh man literally everything. Then my doctor recommended Accutane, I really was scared taking it reading the side effects. My mom did not want me to start taking it but I decided that I should give it a chance. So I did and its the best decision I have ever made. Yes, I am facing many side effects such as minor hair fall but currently its very minor hair loss, I get super dry skin but every morning I put on CereVe which I highly recommend. All in all, you should give it a try, have faith."

Winnie123456 December 20, 2017

For Acne "My daughter was on this for 6 weeks and on her second blood test was told she had high cholesterol and high potassium levels. Days later she was rushed to hospital and was told the roaccutane caused pancreatitis. No one told her this was a risk when you take it"

Andy443 December 9, 2017

For Acne "I wish people were more aware of the long term potential side effects of Accutane. I feel like my doctor failed me and I failed myself by not digging into what an insanely harmful drug this often is. I really mean OFTEN! Do your research before taking this stuff! There seems to be no end to the side effects and the lives it can ruin. Quality of life is effected by so much more than those pimples on your face. You'll realize that when you're 25 and have brain fog and memory loss of a 60 year old whose gone through chemo. If I could do it again and spend more time and money of finding a natural alternative for my acne, you bet I would have. Educate yourself for your own sake."

Jordan33 December 7, 2017

For Acne "I wanted to share my experience, because it's been just over a year since I stopped taking accutane, and the results have been amazing. I started in May of 2016 after years of mild acne ruined my self confidence. The only negative thing I will say about this medication is that it knocks you down before it picks you up. I suffered awful dry skin at first, so much so I couldn't even shave without my face getting cut up. However, after about a month of this, and my acne not getting any better, I started to see results, and in the year since I ended my 5 month regimen, besides the occasional white head, my skin is as clear as ever."

Sean O (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

For Acne "Along with braces for my teeth, accutane was one of the best things I’ve ever done. At the age of 12, I started to have severe acne and serious breakouts that would never go away, no matter what I tried, no matter what topical medications I was prescribed. Finally, at 14, I was prescribed accutane, and I have to say, it was truly life changing. I did experience a rash-type skin response, along with sensitivity for the first week or so. After that, my skin became very dry. It was slightly annoying because I felt like a snake, as much as my skin was dry and sloughing off, but it was 1,000% worth it. Here I am now I’m my 20s and my skin is so clear and beautiful. I receive compliments all the time! Accutane was a life saver."

Natalie DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

For Acne "My experience with accutane was for the most part very positive. I suffered from breakouts on my forehead that wouldn’t go away no matter what I tried. I had taken various kinds of birth control over the years to help with my break outs but by the age of 20 it wasn’t helping with my acne at all anymore. The first week or so of taking accutane I got what looked to be a rash on my whole face that was hot to the touch and sore. I felt like I had alligator skin! The rash went away though within a week or two and then the dry skin started but it was nothing I couldn’t keep on top of. I used a vitamin e cream to keep it hydrated. I only did one round of medication and it seemed to do the trick. The dry skin is so worth it!!! My skin is beautiful!"

Accutane girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2017