User Reviews for Accutane

Acne
8.3

Summary of Accutane reviews 8.3 507 reviews

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "Accutane changed my life. I am 24 and have had acne since age 11, first on my back and then in high school it spread all over my face. It was debilitating and people looked at my skin rather than me. I felt terrible and invisible. Accutane works by preventing your oil glands from producing oil. My face was dry but people started looking at me for me! My skin cleared right up and literally have had only minor problems since. My boyfriend also went on accutane and had a different experience altogether. He was very depressed, had hallucinations, etc. He's also the type that needs to turn the lights off for two hrs before bed and if he drinks coffee at 3 pm he'll stay up until 1 am because of it. His body is very sensitive and yet his sisters had a great experience with the drug. Two years later he still thinks his life is changed because of the two weeks he spent on accutane. I know I would take depression and anxiety any day over how crappy I felt with my acne."

G M January 20, 2019

For Acne "I was concerned about taking this drug because of the dermatologists "over cautious" warning against it, especially the video they played with the never ending list of harmful side effects its been known to cause individuals. Everything I've every heard about accutane has scared me away from it. However, I wished I tried it sooner. Like most people that suffer from acne, I have tried antibiotics, Clindamycin, Tretinoin, and basically every cleanser known to man. None of it did anything to improve my acne but, this stuff, this stuff works! It is the only thing that works. I wish I tried it sooner..."

Anonymous January 3, 2019

For Acne "Accutane was truly a blessing for me. I was discouraged and honestly scared to go on the medication after doing research and reading all the stories and reviews. At 17 years old my acne was so bad it completely destroyed my self-confidence, and I was beyond desperate to find a way to stop it that I didn’t care what it took. Within the first 2 months of starting the treatment people began noticing a difference. Lotion and moistizuring became my best friend for those 6 months, luckily I did not experience anything worse than that. A word to the wise though: do NOT drink while on this medication it already compromises your liver and I had to learn this the hard way. Overall 10/10 drug, I’ve been off of it for about 2 years and all my scars and hyperpigmentation have faded, and I maybe get a single pimple every couple weeks, If that. Moral of the story, there IS hope, your scars and acne will go away and you will be able to feel like yourself again!"

Kayla November 29, 2018

For Acne "I had clear skin all through my teens and acne only started when I was 23. It was the very severe and nothing worked so I went on a 6 months course of Accutane, side effects weren't that bad as I had a very oily skin and I did feel it dried my eyes, throat and lips but not that bad. My skin was clear for only 4 years and then acne came back again, very severe :( I had a second 6 months course and same side effects. Now, I am 45 and still suffer from bouts of severe acne but I have been trying to avoid going back fro a third course of reaccutane as my dermatologist recommended I go for it a couple of months ago when he saw my latest severe acne, it is really painful and bad. I am now on antibiotics and topical cream and face wash. it helped a bit but not that much. I developed diabetes four years ago and am concerned if I take roaccutane now, it could have different side effects. Any advice?"

Maha November 29, 2018

For Acne "I've had acne my whole life (age 29). Face was always oily and I'd pop pimples all the time. Started accutane in January. Face and lips started getting really dry. Eucerin lotion and Aquaphor worked very well but needed to apply several times a day. Eczema on the top of my hands, wrists and upper arms (small red bumps that I've never had before in my life) so more lotion was required. By the middle of the second month, my acne was gone. I had dry eyes that required artificial tears at least 8 times a day. After 3 months my doctor told me I can discontinue taking it. It did not hold me back from being active and traveling through a few countries either. The side effects had disappeared except for a few small bumps only on my upper arms. It is November now. Still haven't seen a single pimple on my face! Had mild depression and anxiety but I've also had a long history even before taking accutane. Different people will have different results and side effects. Best of luck to everyone."

Rex (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

For Acne "This treatment is not worth it in a long run. My case was pretty severe when I was about 19 I decided to try this and my acne reduced quite insignificantly while at the same time my skin was so dry I could peel it off on morning, it also made it itchy from dryness and I would involuntarily scratch myself in sleep which made me look like I been attacked by cats the next day. Also your skin looses elasticity and if you frown a lot you may develop wrinkles on your forehead. Lost hair density by about 20% which I never regained back and I would get unjustified mood shifts on few occasions as if I was taking some anabolic steroids. I've stopped 1 month before the end of my last cycle but I wish I never started. Eventually my acne went away naturally when I was fully grown man around age of 22. You can't defy nature or it will mess you up, this is in your genes you just have to stick it out."

Trifler (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

For Acne "I have a friend who is in stage 5 kidney failure because of this drug. She is only 20 years old. She has to get a kidney transplant and will suffer for the rest of her life because of accutane. PLEASE DO NOT USE ACCUTANE! It may affect you for the rest of your life."

Jane doe (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2018

For Acne "I took Accutane 60 mg daily for 4 months for moderate acne on my arms, shoulders and back. Before starting, my acne was inflamed and painful and I was extremely self-conscious of my body. My side effects were not that bad--dry skin, lips, rashy arms--, but I do think it slightly exacerbated my depression while on it. Three months after taking my last dose, my skin looks a lot better and I'm so glad I made this decision. Here's hoping it lasts."

George (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

For Acne "I started getting mild acne on my chin when I was 18 for which my doctor put me on birth control which cleared my skin and kept me completely blemish free for 6 years. I got off birth control last year to try and have a baby and WOW did my skin go crazy. I went to a dermatologist in AU and they put me straight onto Accutane. I was on 40mg a day for 6 months whilst not taking any birth control but I did have to sign a legal document stating I would NOT fall pregnant whilst taking this medicine and for 1 month after completion. This medicine was honestly an easy breeze for me and I did not have many issues with it except the following; dry lips, mild mood swings and slight blurry eyes. It worked but only time will tell if my acne returns."

RH93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

For Acne "Please before you take Accutane really consider the side affects. Some of these reviews kind of down play them but some are actually very serious. I have been on Accutane for 1 month and I started to lose hair on my temples (like my hairline is receding) and I’m only 18. I’m really scared that it may not grow back and from what I’ve read that might be a possibility. I’m telling you don’t go in this drug unless you have extremely severe acne. If it is moderate like mine just try to accept it the risk is not worth it."

DarkKnight (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

For Acne "I took Isotretinoin for 27 days from December 2017 to January 2018. At the time I was 21 and I had exhausted all other options . After a brief consultation with my GP who assured me that the drug was safe and the listed side effects were uncommon, I was placed on 40mg a day for 6 months (I’m a 5-9 male 160 lbs). The side effects that I experienced at first were as follows: dry lips+skin, light sensitivity and slight joint pain. Week 3 I suffered from a major nodular breakout (which is to be expected), severe brain fog, and short term memory loss. Terrified, I quit the medication as my memory is my most prized possession. 3 months following my drug refusal, my short-term memory came back for the most part and I was 100% clear. At month 3.5 I encountered an SE : a virtually non-existing libido and general numbness in the phallic region. September 2018, my libido slowly came back and I started breaking out again with mild to moderate acne on my face and scalp."

Embraceacne (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2018

For Acne "I had severe cystic acne when I was 18. Like my whole face and neck covered. I was super depressed, I could never look into a mirror. I stared taking accutane and notice my lips got severely dry. I got big blisters on both corners of my mouth throughout the treatment. But I noticed after 2 months no new bombs growing and my face got smooth but still covered in red scars. After the treatment I had zero pimples and no red scars it completely worked. I was so happy. I could sweat not even wash my face and I wouldn't get pimples. I'm now 34 and have had no problems after treatment and my acne never came back. My face is as clear as it was the months after treatment. I also signed up for something that covered the cost. I don't remember what it was I had to wait 2 months for approval"

Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

For Acne "I had to take two courses, genuinely think this drug saved my life. I had beyond severe painful, bulging, cystic acne everywhere that nothing worked with while in high school. I had to wear undershirts because I would bleed through my shirts. Had to quit sports because any contact would cause bleeding, not to mention pain. Was essentially bullied out of high school due to the severity of my skin, I literally to this day have never seen anyone with as bad of acne as I had. It completely cleared up my skin after the first course, after a few months, it did come back, pretty harshly by most people’s standards, but literally nothing in comparison to what it was. I took another course, and I have clear skin to this day, 6 years later with minimal scarring. Only side effect I had was dry everything, skin eyes nose lips. People say it causes depression, I think having severe acne is much more likely to cause depression then accutane"

Pete (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2018

For Acne "I have just finished month two and my face is the smoothest it has ever been. Fair skinned people you will definitely look like you have a sunburn in the first month but it goes away. I did purge bad in the first three to four weeks but it was manageable. This thing is a miracle drug, and only side effect I have had it SOME lower back pain, fatigue and SLIGHTLY dry skin and lips. I attest my lack of symptoms due to my one gallon of water I drink everyday and unwavering moisturizing skills. Ladies, butter yourself up everyday with that ultra repair cream and some rosehip oil and you will be fine. I thought this would be really bad but maybe everyone is sensitive OR I just got lucky. Anyways, I highly recommend this drug. Don't think you can still eat absolute junk and it will still work, eat as healthy as you can, exercise, limit stress, eat clean and indulge every once in a while and let accutane do its job."

Fi September 25, 2018

For Acne "I personally LOVED Accutane! I spent 8 years dealing with moderate hormonal cystic acne. Like most people on here, I tried everything else out there. I kept saying no to Accutane because of all the horror stories I had read online. Finally my doctor said there was nothing left for me to do EXCEPT Accutane. So, I did my research and I prepared myself for the worst. My acne is completely gone after the 5 month course. I was one of the lucky few to have very little side effects to the medication. My face was hardly dry at all and I only had some chapped lips. But nothing like I had expected. What I will say to the people questioning it is trust your doctor! Obviously do your research but don't get too caught up with the stories online. Know there are risks and some people have had horrible experiences with it but also know everyone is different. I think if you prepare yourself for the worst, it may not be as bad."

J-me September 21, 2018

For Acne "My older cousin took this for his acne. Later he hanged himself. Apparently suicide is a side effect. Please, do not take this. It is not worth it"

DontTake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2018

For Acne "I went on accutane after trying a multitude of antibiotics and topicals such as differin, doxycycline, some other cycline and much more. I was a little hesitant to try accutane as my cousin who took it had bad side affects and I personally have a history of mental health issues. However, taking accutane is one of the best decisions I ever made. I did not have severe cystic acne, but my moderate acne with cystic on my chin was progressively getting worse and I decided to finally go for it. As an 18 year old I researched it decided to try it. I definitely experienced dry skin and lips, as long as a allergic reaction type rash on my arms, which ended up being dermatitis. this was about the only negative side affect that I had and overall the rash was 100x worth it for the results I got. I have been off accutane for about 3-5 months now and I have not had a major breakout since. 10/10 would recommend!!"

erin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2018

For Acne "Accutane does do the job, it does clear your acne however it does take a while to do so, especially if you’re put on a low dose like I was. As well as this, although I am so happy I don’t have acne anymore as it was ruining my life and my self confidence, the side effects of accutane were horrendous for me. My skin started going scaly because it was so dry, literally everywhere. My hair stopped growing and got so dry damaged and thin to the point where I’ve had to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, and it also made my mood change quite a lot too. A few months later, I did notice that I was getting spots again, not as bad as my acne before but still. I’ve started using cepton skin wash and that works amazing. I guess you have to weigh up the side effects versus how bad your acne is. If you’ve tried everything else and nothing works and your acne gets you down, then I think accutane is for you. The main thing is that it does work but the side effects do have to be considered!"

pops19 August 14, 2018

For Acne "Please whatever you do DO NOT take this medicine or let anyone you know take it!!!! My 21 year old cousin took this medicine and within two months her kidneys shut down and caused a ton of other issues to the point that she was put on life support for a week and almost lost her life. She still has a long road ahead and will never have the health she had before. Her kidneys are still not working at this time and she will probably have to have a kidney transplant. A clear face is NOT worth losing your life!!!"

Almost died (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

For Acne "I suffered severe acne for more than 20 years before I tried accutane. It basically cured my acne almost completely. I don't have much side effects, if any. I gained quite a bit weight but I think it has more to do with my age and lack of exercise. A lot of people mentioned terrible side effects. I personally didn't feel anything on accutane, which is rare because I always feel something when I take most other medication. My advise is to start off with low dose and work it up according to your weight. Side effect will be minimal with low dose. You can always stop if you experience strong side effects.I was told to take Accutane with a fatty meal. This is the best advice that I can give to anyone who suffers from severe acne. Don't waste your time and money with antibiotic and any topical treatment. You will always have bacteria on your skin. The root of acne is over-production of oil from sebaceous gland."

Gary (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Acne "After years of trying ALL the cheap, expensive, and middle of the road things, then the rounds of antibiotics that did nothing, FINALLY I was prescribed accutane. It took months. I was on a low dose - 20 mg every second day, then slowly up to 20mg a day, then alternating between 20/40. First, the acne became a little worse. THINGS CAME OUT OF MY FACE PEOPLE. After about 3 months, all those tiny little bumps started to disappear. By 6-8 months, the main offenders had diminished. A year on, I still take 20/40 on alternate days. My skin is honestly amazing. Smooth. No breakouts. Subterranean hell cysts gone. I wear sunscreen religiously. It took months, but was well worth it. No side effects for me, except the need to have a seriously good lip balm at all times (I recommend dermal, nothing else seems to cut it)."

Flossie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2018

For Acne "I first started treatment in February 2018 and my treatment is now ended (July 2018). My main concern was the initial breakout, but I didn’t have one! I had maybe a few spots more than usual but my skin would break out so often it made no difference. The first thing I noticed was within 2 weeks my skin was no longer oily and after 2 months my skin was almost clear! I haven’t had a spot for a month now and I feel so confident! I do have dry lips and nose bleeds sometimes but no other side effects and no emotional problems either, cannot recommend highly enough, however side effects can be worse on some people so though definitely needs to go into it."

Cheerleader29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

For Acne "I always told myself I was gonna post a before and after picture of my acne but I never had enough balls, so here it is!! I have had cystic acne for a couple years now and it put a huge damper on my self confidence. After trying every single kind of cream, antibiotic, and diet (I even went vegan), I finally found a doctor who believed that I had been through enough and put me on Accutane. Although it’s a really powerful drug with some potentially hideous side effects, it has been a life changer. Don’t ever let someone with perfect skin tell you that “acne doesn’t matter” or that “you’re acne isn’t even that bad”. YOUR FACE IS THE FIRST THING THAT PEOPLE SEE!"

Meag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2018

For Acne "I went on Accutane 1982. I had chronic acne on my shoulders and back. My lips and nose immediately dried up, cracked and bled. My eyes got so dry I constantly had to use drops. My joints started to ache constantly. My thick hair and eye lashes started falling out. My arm hair, under arms and legs stopped growing. My eyebrows decided to almost disappear. My hair on my head never returned to its original thickness nor my eye lashes or eyebrows. The hair on my arms, legs and underarms all but disappeared. I got extremely tired for a full year. It did clear up my acne issues. My biggest complaint is JOINT PAIN! I STILL HAVE IT 36 YEARS LATER. I would joke that I felt like a cancer patient going through chemo, so tired, losing hair. I never knew it was originally for chemotherapy treatments until 2016. I discovered others were having joint pain 20 to 30 years later also. Wish there would have been some kind of recognition that joint pain is permanent side effect from accutane."

Gawarf May 30, 2018

For Acne "Oratane - 20mg, first 2 weeks one tablet a day 2 tablets a day(40mg) until further assessment. I have seen improvements where I would normally have cysts(lower jaw, cheeks and mouth) BUT I'm breaking out all over my forehead, lips and shoulders which I have never experienced before. I have seen my derm yesterday and he prescribed me Panafcort (Prednsione) 25mg, 2 tablets once a day for 4 days. It is a strong oral steroid treatment that within 7 hours I have already seen a difference! SIDE EFFECTS: Headaches up the back of my neck and in my eyes Dryness (moderate) Nausea Dry scalp - solved with slathering my scalp and hair ends in coconut oil, massaging it in and sitting with it for 20/30 mins! do not DO NOT drink alcohol in excess. you will be terribly sick (vomiting) and hungover. "

Allaboutbrie May 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...