User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Accutane reviews 385 reviews 9.2

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "not worth it"

Anonymous September 22, 2016

For Acne "I actually miss taking Accutane. I finally decided to take it after years of bad cystic acne and nothing else working. It took about a month to start working but I was only on 20mg a day. It was a Godsend. Despite being on such a low dose of it (I think the average is 40mg a day), accutane worked wonders. The only side effects I had were dry lips and dry skin, both of which were worse in the winter (Thanks Chicago). Since going off it, I get little pimples again and my oily skin and hair came back. I wish I was still on Accutane because it was nice not having oily skin lol."

AccutaneWasGreat September 12, 2016

For Acne "I will just say, I had a horrible acne.. And it didn't make it any better that I was super sensitive to fake hormones; birth control. I couldn't and still can't take it because I have a rare side effect to it that causes cystic acne.. I didn't figure this out until after the damage was done, unfortunately.. I was extremely desperate, because I tried everything known to mankind before birth control. I even tried 4 different antibiotics and only one worked, but I ended up relapsing before my year time frame was up. I was in a huge and not to mention horrible, predicament.. So, my last resort being Accutane- was the best decision I ever made. The only thing I will harshly complain about is around the fifth month I started having hair thinning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

For Acne "It took me 15 years of horrible struggles with all types of acne. Cysts, whiteheads, blackheads - everything. My dermatologist had put me on antibiotics which never worked. I got depressed and didn't even want anyone to see my face and lost a lot of confidence. Acutane has been the only thing that clears my skin and even made me feel younger."

alija September 5, 2016

For Acne "I went on Accutane 25 years ago for mild acne. As a young woman you do not want to be worried about pimples on your face. I went on the standard dose - 40mg a day. I had mild dry lips - buy Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour lip cream it's great. My skin afterwards was amazing and I did not have a pimple for 20 years afterwards. Just people raving about how perfect my skin was. I'm now 46 and in excellent health so for me there are no long term effects at all. Don't believe the horror stories on the Internet by people with an axe to grind. Accutane is the only drug that works for acne and for many people it is a permanent cure. I recommended it to a work colleague with severe cystic acne - now she has perfect skin too and it's changed her life."

Melanie69 September 4, 2016

For Acne "My 16 year old son has had acne- not to the point of scaring but enough to really affect his self esteem. He is now under a specialist and has been taking Accutane for about 3-4 months.40mg per day. After a month or so his skin was even worse and it was quite horrific but now he is nearly clear ! He has always been very moody and I have constantly been worried that he may have depression. He has shown NO signs of being any worse on this medication ! Dry, dry, dry lips is the worst side effect and his self esteem is better."

Nippy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2016

For Acne "I've been on Accutane for 10 months on the higher dosage at 80mg. I've now had to wait two months to get an appointment with my dermotolagist and during these two months my acne is slowly, but surely coming back."

Anonymous August 10, 2016

For Acne "I started having cystic acne at age11. I had it on my face but not as bad as the big sore ozzing cysts on my back and chest and even on my breasts. It was a terrible time for me that followed me into adult hood. I had tried every antibiotic known to man. Every cream, soap and vitamin out there. Finally in 1981 a dermatologist recommended Accurate. This was the brand name one. Generics weren't so popular then. It worked wonders! I couldn't believe that I could be acne free. I still had and still do have bad scarring but no pimples or cyst s. I took it for 6 months. I was great for about 11yrs. I then developed hidradenitis on my inner thighs and stomach and breasts. I then was prescribed generic accurate. It didn't help that condition at all"

zeedogg August 8, 2016

For Acne "This medication has given me a love hate for it, I had horrible cystic acne all over my face neck shoulders chest and back! I have been on the medication 3 weeks now and have seen a drastic improvement! I have tried other medications that yielded no results at all. If you want to start taking this medication for your acne I recommend it but be warned the side effects are nasty! I have the worst joint pain in my feet and ankles every morning and it last for a few hours also my lips have been very dry and I have been applying way too much carmax. my face has dry spot from where the acne is clearing up and that doesn't look too attractive either. All in all this medication works and you will love the results but the side effects suck"

Zach2787 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Acne "Worked for me! Five years of GP prescribed acne treatments did nothing but make me more and more frustrated. I went on accutane, despite being dubious due to the severe side effects I'd read about. Did nothing at first, but gradually after maybe three months, less and less spots were appearing. Now, after 5 months and with 1 more on accutane to go, I have maybe one active spot, compared to a face full. Symptoms: I found it pretty easy. Dry lips were an annoyance, but just got into the habit of always carrying a lip balm. Dry skin was there but resolved by a good moisturiser (cetaphil is good). My main issue was regular nose bleeds, I got one nearly everyday which was very distruptive. This was sorted though by slightly reducing my dose."

Tato chief August 6, 2016

For Acne "PROS -completely clear skin after 4 months -during treatment my hair got much less greasy and barely needed washing. However this stopped after i finished my course CONS -dry skin everywhere, although was manageable with a lot of moisturiser and lip balm -eczema on arms, back of knees, and hands -severe back pain lasting the whole duration of the course, couldn't be helped by physiotherapy -(the worst side effect) irritable bowel syndrome. Severe pain while passing stools (to the extent of crying), constipation and blood when I wiped. Was severely debilitating and made me afraid of going to the loo for 4 months SUMMARY - despite the awful side effects, I do not at all regret taking roaccutane even though i only had mild-moderate acne"

17yearsold August 4, 2016

For Acne "Accutane is amazing for severe acne, I had back acne for around 2 years it wasn't to bad for the first year but then it started to get very bad and embarrassing the second. I was pretty depressed and I tried everything, So I did some research on some medication. That's when I was told about accutane. I knew about the risks but I needed to have my confidence back so I decided to start it. The first month nothing happened, Second Month Little bit of a change, and the third month was incerdible, I only had allitle bit of pimples on my back but mostly just scars. I am going on my fourth month soon and I hope that I will perfectly clear. My side effects were dry skin on my face and chapped lips and that is it. No depression."

Benjieeeee August 2, 2016

For Acne "I've been taking Oratane (off-brand Accutane) for nearly 6 months now. My dosage was 20mg during the first month, and then 40mg for the remainder of my cycle. I'm a 24 year old male (I was 23 when I began taking the drug) with mild (but irritating) facial acne and moderate acne on my upper back. I found that my acne cleared up towards my second month of treatment. The only side effects I've encountered are dryness - dry lips being the main one, but easily remedied with chap stick. My skin (particularly on my face) and eyes also occasionally get dry, these can be tackled with moisturizer and eye drops. Aside from that, everything has been smooth sailing. I recommend accutane to anyone with severe acne, or stubborn acne that won't go away."

Xevon July 29, 2016

For Acne "I'm a 24 y/o female that had been dealing with mild acne four about a decade (rarely cystic). I've been on Accutane for about a month and a half and my face is almost perfect. It's done wonders for my confidence - I can even go out without makeup now. The only side effect I have is severely chapped lips (like, SEVERELY) - BUT - the risk far outweighs the results. I have recommended this medication to so many people."

67452451 July 25, 2016

For Acne "I am a 31 year old single lady and been suffering cystic acne for almost two years. I have tried everything but nothing really works until my dermatologist recommended Acnetrex 50mg 3 months ago. My lips had been very dry but who cares I am now acne free. :))"

Lakshmii (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Acne "I wanna start by saying I have battled w acne for years & tried basically everything money could buy - pills to creams, going to specialists doctors, derms, beauty bars, etc. I went off the pill at 27 & thought my acne was done but had the worst flare up ever. Tried spironolactone which helped a tiny bit w oil but it was still so bad. Cysts under the skin, blackheads, acne on my back or chest, it was so embarrassing. I am going on my third month of accutane & it's been a miracle I feel like I could cry. My skin clear/smooth & people tell me I'm glowing. I still have scars all over that will need to heal & my skin can get hella dry--well everything gets dry bc you are super dehydrated but it is DEF WORTH IT."

Briiiii bri July 21, 2016

For Acne "Not worth it! There are other methods to clear up the infection. Try an antibiotic first. I have had to be on antibiotics for years now to keep the cystic acne manageable. I tried accutane and I regret taking it for the six days that I did. May have issues forever. Now I'm back on a normal antibiotic with zero side effects. Also, I started using a home made scrub my sister in law made me. :) hope this helps."

Mck Jack July 19, 2016

For Acne "Accutane is working wonders for me. I am an 18 year old male who was skeptical at first because I had literally tried everything to clear up my cystic acne I had on my back and chest. I am now 1 month into my 5 month course and am already seeing a huge improvement. Other then the dry lips, I have no other side effects. Some people say accutane makes them depressed and suicidal, but accutane has actually made me more happy and more energetic then I was. I feel so much more confident about my skin now then I ever have. It's summer, and now I am never wearing a shirt because accutane has made me more confident. Strongly recommend this drug, as it has worked wonders for me so far."

matt23 July 19, 2016

For Acne "Accutane is the best drug for acne out there today. My experience with it was amazing. I had severe acne all over my face and within a month most of my acne was gone. I would recommend this drug to anyone suffering bad acne."

Matt2015 July 19, 2016

For Acne "So I've been off accutane now for 4-5 months. My skin is still amazing. I had awful scaring and spots on my arms back chest and face before, my skin is now flawless. My Dermotologist said that once I stopped accutane My face would get inflamed however it didn't. I only get few spots now, only on my face which is great. I've become less paranoid about my body and face. I strongly suggest accutane. All the side effects are worth it. I suffered from awful anxiety which accutane has resolved for me. I feel so happy!"

Tan:) June 30, 2016

For Acne "This me's worked wonders for me when I was 24. After years of severe adult acne, this was the only thing that helped. Fast forward to my 40's, I tried 2 courses of Accutane for severely oily skin. When you have skin this oily and finally your makeup looks like velvet matte perfection , it's almost too good to be true. I developed 2 bad side effects that were NOT listed in my booklet. Hair loss and severe dark under eye circles . Nothing else was different in my life except the Accutane. I feel like I traded one issue( and it's only temporary, oil comes back) for two worse issues . I'm devastated. Had I been told this was even a small possibility I would never have done this. was a super fan but not so much now."

JeniLeigh23 June 25, 2016

For Acne "I am 17 and I have had pretty moderate acne since I could remember, and pretty severe acne on my back for last four or five years. I asked my dermatologist to start me on accutane as I've had two friends who sware by it. The first month I was on 40mg Claravis, my side effects were dry lips, skin, and scalp, nose bleeds out the wazoo, and weird rashes around my elbows and hands. But the results were incredible. All of my back acne was gone within the first week. The blackheads on my chin vanished. Although it made my face breakout slightly worse, I was warned that would happen. I am now on month two 60mg Myorisan and the side effects are slightly worse this month. also, it is a bit pricey. But still, very happy with this medication."

Jayboles June 22, 2016

For Acne "Review part 2 ) Took this medicine for 6 months. No side effects until I was off the medication and ended up with acne returning and dry scalp and face. (Really bad) this medicine was not worth it. Never was. Believe all the warnings and this is coming from one of the lucky ones. Best believe at 17 I had everyone asking me what I was doing and saying my skin was equivalent to that of a toddler's. But now I'm 22 and this has gone away. Little reward for a high risk with long lasting effect... MAKE ANOTHER DRUG THAT DOESNT KILL YOU IF YOU WANT GOOD SKIN"

MarleyMar June 4, 2016

For Acne "Omg I love accutane. Best think that ever happened to me. I have 2 months left of this medication and I don't want it to end. Right now my face looks so perfect and flawless occasionally a zit or two nothing major at all! I'm so sad that I won't be on it and that my acne will come back! I didn't have awful acne before 1-10 it was like a 4 or 5 (10 being the worst) but I suffered from AWFUL black heads. No any more my nose looks perfect. I did get huge cystic acne as soon as I started the medication and I had almost every side effect from 20 nose bleeds a day to chap lips to my hair literally coming out in HUGE chunks and extreme joint pain. But it was so so so worth it"

Kjbr (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

For Acne "I've already commented before I just wanted everyone to know I'm off roacutane now. It's been just over a month and having my final check up soon. So happy with the results honestly. I feel so much more confident and happy it was worth every side effect. for the first time in 8 years(I'm 18) I now can go out of the house without makeup on. And I'm not exaggerating. I'm so happy and I honestly think anyone with bad skin should try this honestly it's so worth it"

Tannnnn May 11, 2016