User Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

Accutane Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane

Nana T · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2020

“I've been taking isotretinoin for about 6 weeks now. I'm still in the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage, but wow, my dark spots are slowly fading and I can't believe it. I've battled acne for 6 years, 6!!! So you can imagine how bad my dark spots are from the acne. I just want to trust the process. If you are in this stage as well and feel like giving up, DON'T. WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!”

Thato · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

“I find that Accutane is one of the most life changing experiences. Started to notice a huge difference in my skin on month 2. Treatment is very harsh with many side effects. Dry and thin skin, breakouts now and then, very dry eyes. I tried all type of blistex lip balms which did not help. Baseline blueseal works wonders on the lips and even on dry area ok the skin. I apply sun screen everyday with nutraderm lotion to hydrate my skin. I also find that it really helps to have at least 3 litres of water everyday. I'm currently in the middle of month 3 of treatment and the past few weeks have been the hardest. Skin and lips is dryer than ever and loss of hair. Some days depression kicks in so it is important to keep your loved ones around you just to have some positivity. This treatment is quite costly but it is all worth it at the end. A few months of side effects and praying the price for a life long great skin and confident you.”

Dee June 2, 2020

“If you have tried everything else and failed, then Accutane is the way to go. It never fails. Of course some will need a higher dosage than others or longer period of time depending on how bad the acne is. I was on a one pill per day option for 4 months. Within 2 months most of my pimples had cleared and only had spots. I was happy. But the side effects are also not very pretty. But I think it is a small price to pay for clearer skin forever. I had really dry lips. Had to drink water all the time. I actually used to sleep with a bottle and some vaseline to use during night. My whole body was extremely dry including my private parts. Had small nosebleeds. But I'd try to put vaseline with an earbud in my nose to avoid drying up. My face was very sensitive. I was lucky all this happened during lockdown so I was in the house for quite some time. In my third to fourth month every side effect became worse.”

ultimorph May 31, 2020

“I’m excited that I finally joined this party. I was cycling through antibiotics and retin-a/adapelene for all of high school and college and it was fairly ineffective and miserable. I came to accept myself in college and for awhile I thought it was immoral/dangerous to risk accutane because I had depression in high school. However, over the years I learned that several of my classmates and my own cousin had taken it and look normal. When I started my first job while living at home right after college I decided it was time to roll the dice with accutane. I’m in a special category of people because I decided that I was willing to own the risk just for the chance to try this drug and see if it opens some doors for me. I also wanted the assurance that this was something I could recommend to my future child. In terms of symptoms I got the dryness, a few nosebleeds, joint pain, itchiness, hazy eyesight, peeling skin and I took 60 mg a day for 6 months.”

Miss-tee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

“I am on 10mg oratane dose, one pill a day. I had very oily skin, mild pimples that would break out every third week and lots of blackhead which are gone and skin no longer oily. I am happy with the results so far in my second month now. The negative part about taking the meds is the side effects, sore joints, dry eyes and nose, very thin skin and the worst it has to be my lips, chapped, red, dry and extremely sore I even thought of quitting the meds.”

31 year old female · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2020

“Life saving!”

terrible times April 7, 2020

“THIS DRUG IS POISON. PLEASE CARE FOR YOURSELF. Accutane ruined my life. I took 80mg of Accutane for 9 months @ 18 yrs old. I has cystic acne on my back & face. I tried birth control, antibiotics, & topical creams. So my derm recommended this. Side effects: dry skin all over, chapped lips, eczema, brittle nails. Vision problems, waking up in morning with my eyes sealed shut with pus, and dry eyes. Lips were a huge scab. Normal & monthly checkups/blood tests. I had dime sized blisters on my body from a sunburn. 6 months: body aches that made it difficult to sleep, poor digestion, hemorrhoids, bloody stools, & sad. Months 7-9: MY HAIR FELL OUT. I lost 80% of my hair, in pain & depressed. 9 months : finished treatment, I was "cured" of my acne. I was bald, poor vision & in pain mentally and physically. 3 months, my acne came back WORSE. My derm said to do round 2 of accutane & I told her never to recommend it to anyone. It is SO TOXIC for your body. Please do not take this drug.”

A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 7, 2020

“The only drug that worked for my severe cystic acne. I had tried so many other topical ointments, antibiotics, and facial washes before finally trying this drug as a last resort. 8 years later, and my skin is still extremely clear. I was on this drug for a total of 8 months and had side effects such as constipation in the beginning, some occasional joint pain when I would lie down or get up, a few styes, and VERY severe, frequent nosebleeds that were very annoying. I wouldn’t recommend trying this medication if you haven’t been on anything else before yet for cystic acne, but if you’ve already tried everything and you’re at the end of your rope, try it! It even worked for the body acne I had on my back. The severe, permanent lasting side effects are usually very rare and it’s more than worth the risk if your skin is really suffering.”

hiya April 7, 2020

“I had bad skin from the age of around 10. By the time I was 12-13 I had full blown acne and already had scarring all over my skin. I got prescribed a lot of treatments before accutane as I was so young. I was prescribed creams, the mini-pill and a couple of other tablets which did nothing for my skin. Any cream would burn my skin. My aunt suggested Accutane. I had a few side affects from the tablets but not much result. But on month 4 I would say, I saw my skin start to clear up quite quickly, but my emotional state started to deteriorate. I suffered with mild anxiety and depression. 8 months later and my skin was amazing. I got constant compliments about how much better my skin was. I stopped the tablets in October, and unfortunately my skin has started to go back to its old ways, so I’m disappointed about that. I think a longer treatment may have benefited me. I would definitely recommend this for anyone suffering like I was. It’s worth it :)”

Sunnyfl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2020

“I took this 20 years ago for awful acne that I had fought from nearly 13 to 20 years old. I was terrified to take it, but I had tried every option. It cleared me up completely. I had minimal side effects and MUCH higher self esteem finally. I finally felt attractive and I honestly think , had I taken it sooner, my life would be different in some ways. My son is now taking it for the awful, cystic acne I've passed down to him! The dryness bothers him some, and at 2 months in he's not seeing the difference he wants, but I'm telling him to push through.”

Artemis February 24, 2020

“I'm almost finished with my third month of Accutane. I started taking Accutane due to severe body acne (chest, back, neck, arms, etc). I first attempted doxy and topical lotion but it did not seem to help. Therefore my dermatologist recommended Accutane. I started out at 40mg in the first month and am now on 80mg during my third month. The first month was not bad with side effects at all. I simply noticed dry lips and a bit more dryness on my body. Month two was not too bad either, some headaches, and more dryness on the lips and body. Month three is when some of the emotional instability kicked in. I have been experiencing some anxiety and depression, but it's been manageable. The irritation and more anger has been the worst emotional side effects. I've also noticed thinning of the skin, more easily to injure and more noticeable veins. Over all I still believe taking accutane has been worth it. Yes, the side effects suck, especially in winter, but I'm so glad my acne is gone.”

Joe February 23, 2020

“About over two years ago I started my accutane treatment, I was 15, on a low dose with acne surrounding my mouth and my forehead which is generally known as the T-Zone. As I began the treatment, my skin inflamed and had an intense breakout which lasted about 2 months which had managed to get rid of all the acne and all I was left with was dark hyperpigmentation spots. However as the months continued in my treatment, I began to develop cystic acne around my shoulder and back, so bad in fact that they would burst and bleed causing agonising pain for the best part of 3 months. These cysts would later leave me keloid scars I still have to this day. However after my course, it seemed to be too good to be true, for about a year and a half I was clean, enjoying my life, until 6 months ago when I began to develop acne again around my cheeks, jawline and back of my neck. To me now, depressed and full of pain, I would have never have took it if I knew what would have happened to me now.”

Lost12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I promised myself that if this worked, then I would write a review to hopefully help other patients out who are hesitant about taking Accutane. I have been taking Accutane (40 mg/day) for 4 months now. I am 5'5 and 138 pounds. I can say that Accutane *works* better than any other acne medication (the other medication I tried was Spiro, which helped my face acne by like 75% but did nothing for my back/chest acne). I have tried and I had minimal side effects (dry skin, some fatigue, increased sun sensitivity, dry lips, dry eyes) but that is all. It was all worth it though. It not only got rid of my cystic acne but also got rid of my closed comedones and the sebaceous filaments on my nose. My ONLY regret is not taking this sooner. If you have pitted scarring or your skin scars easily, please take this. I have nothing but positive things to say about Accutane.”

Sheila · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

“I posted previously about this drug making my hormonal acne much much worse. It then made my skin so dry I looked aged by about 15 years. it gave me a lot of blurred vision which turned out to be due to extremely dry eye, and it continued to worsen my acne until I finally discontinued it 3 weeks ago. My skin has improved so much since coming off it but I now have a lot of red marks left from all the spots I had while taking it and so far my acne is still worse than it was before I began treatment - but I’m just pleased it’s improved compared to how it was looking a couple of months ago because I was crying a lot over how bad it had made it. My eyes are still very dry but have improved.”

therealdeal · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

“I have had acne since I was a teen. I am now 37. I have tried minocycline, expensive acne products, etc. Nothing ever worked. In your thirties with acne is pretty embarrassing. Also I’d cover it up with makeup and then that looks worse! I went to a dermatologist and she recommended accutane. I AM SO THANKFUL!!! My skin has never been clearer! I get compliments all the time from people who have known me. No side effects here :)”

HH January 30, 2020

“I have struggled with acne my entire life, tried countless of drugs and products to clear my skin, and had no luck. When I was on Accutane, I had clear skin aside from a few cystic pimples throughout the two year period. In addition to this amazing feeling, my skin was constantly dry, my lips were constantly chapped, and I had to drink many cups a water of day to even feel semi-hydrated. When I stopped taking the drug, I suffered from hardcore anxiety and had a few full blown anxiety attacks, something I have never been affected by before I started taking this medication. After about a month or two, this anxiety calmed but I still suffer from it. Now, almost four years after I finished taking the medication, my acne is back and the same as before, my lips are still constantly chapped, I still wake up in the middle of the night to very dry skin, and my hair is way thinner than it used to be. This harmful drug is NOT WORTH IT.”

User January 25, 2020

“My experience on this has been on the whole very good I had suffered with persistent acne that no other drug would even make a dent on. I was also training near 7x a week so was very unsure of the effects accutane would have on my body and was in two minds of taking it. I'm currently 4 months in and do not regret it in the slightest. I have maybe 1 minor spot every 2 weeks that disappears in a day and my oily skin has completely died down. The main side effects I experienced were dry lips (always have Vaseline on you), Joint pain, especially with heavy lifting and bending down. Also a very dry nose. If you are going to drink on this, your limit will be severely reduced, 2 pints and you will be utterly wasted, and with some people, 1 pint will be the end. What I would recommend: In the UK doctors tell us to take 1 tablet daily for 2 weeks to see how badly it effects us, up it to 2 tablets a day (40mg) and go from there. This way your body isn't suddenly hit with a very potent drug”

smiley January 25, 2020

“Honestly I came into this drug thinking it would be really awful but it has been easy as. My acne was never severe in the first place but I did have stubborn pimples. I’m on month 3 and my lips aren’t chapped at all (thank goodness) and my skin isn't dry either. Only side effect is back pain which is tolerable!!! The second I start to feel the aquaphor on my lips go away I apply it again (which is why my lips aren’t dry, they don’t get a chance to get dry). If ur thinking about taking this DO IT. It’s not as bad as people make it seem to be”

Claire · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2020

“Yes, the side effects stink, but when you see your blemish free face in the mirror it is so worth it. Keep your health in mind and keep chapstick on you while you’re on this drug.”

Luc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2020

“Taking Accutane for my acne is one of the best things I’ve done. It has literally changed my life and I have become so much more confident. I am so much happier with how my skin is and my appearance now than I ever have been. People comment on how I look happier and healthier because my skin is just glowing! I am just in my last month or so and I am looking forward to when it finishes. I struggled with severely dry lips and patches of skin on my face to begin with. My skin started to cope more but my lips are still as dry as ever, this is something I will not miss. Occasionally I may feel down however as long as you tell your doctor the truth they can deal with this and possibly lower your dose etc. (one of the positive side effects is my hair is no where near as greasy!) To anyone who is wondering whether Accutane is for them, I would say it is life changing and the side effects are manageable for such a positive outcome at the end!”

cpd · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“Accutane completely sucks. It made everything for me 50 x worse. If your acne isn’t severe, don’t take it. Because there is a chance that it will get worse like it did for me. Side effects suck to”

Alan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

“Complete garbage. Took it for antibiotic resistant moderate acne along the jawline. 60 mg a day for 3 months, escalated dose to 90mg a day for the 4th month as a 68kg male. Still ZERO RESULTS as of the end of month 4. If there is any improvement in month 5 it is too late and too little of what I wanted.”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“Accutane was overall a horrible experience. The first month went perfectly smoothly. I experienced dryness and chapped lips as usual. When my dosage increased during the second month, things got worse. Acne was starting to slowly improve, but my liver experienced extremely increased enzymes. While on this medicine, I avoided drinking alcohol. I took every precaution to be healthy. It just didn’t work and I had to stop. Now I still have elevated liver enzymes and I have to see a physician. This medicine affects everyone differently, and you must know that going in. Definitely a last resort medicine, as it works for people but hurts others.”

Ryan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“Yes, there is some dryness and sensitivity, I applied various lip products hourly, and I found myself putting vaseline up my nose. But, I've been dealing with cystic acne since high school (I'm now 37), and my skin is finally clear and smooth.”

Chad · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I started the medication a little under 3 months ago. My acne wasn’t as bad as most people have it. I would get 1-3 cystic breakouts about every week. I also had pretty oily skin which is mainly what caused these breakouts. One week on the medication, my skins oil decreased substantially. Week 2 came around and I had probably the worst breakout I’ve had in recent memory. It took about a week and a half for my skin to heal from that but I haven’t had any breakouts since. I haven’t even had tiny pimples or anything like that as well. Accutane has made my skin so much better and I couldn’t be happier with the results. The side affects aren’t anything to worry about either. The only side affects I’ve gotten were dry skin, chapped lips, and red hands (my derma gave me a cream for my hands and they were fine a week later). With all of this said, I would highly recommend accutane, although the side affects seem scary, I have only gotten the dryness.”

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)