User Reviews for Accutane

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

"I finished my accutane treatment but the effects last forever for me. Now I have permanent dry eyes, skin, and sore muscles. I have to take supplements everyday and eye drops like retasis every day for the rest of my life!"

Kendra0010 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2018

"My problem is that they give you this after they make you spend a lot of money and other medicines that you don't need just so they can get some kickbacks from drug company's. I have almost zero respect for a lot of doctors out there. Every single person I know that has tried this drug it's worked on but they won't give it to you until after you tried a million and one other topical meds that are useless"

prevayl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2018

"This drug almost killed me, it made my acne go away perfectly but after the 3rd month I was forced to go off of it because I ended up in a very dark place. Don’t use if depression is in your genes"

Sjenen sdSierra January 21, 2018

"I've struggled with acne since probably age 12/13 and now I am 20 years old. Accutane is a miracle drug. I was very skeptical at first, but I'm telling you it is WORTH IT. I had the mild side effects like very dry skin on my arms, legs, and chapped lips. But they weren't as bad as it seemed and it was kept under control by sensitive moisturizer and lotion. Aquaphor for the lips was awesome! First two months my acne got a little worse and then boom by month three I was seeing major improvements. Month four and five I was reaching to almost clear skin! Now I am on my last month (6) and my acne is gone. No pimples. I actually feel confident in my skin now. My experience was great and I definitely recommend. Give it a try!"

KassidyB January 19, 2018

"I took this for acne on my back. It cleared it up and haven’t had a recurrence in 40 years. The only side effect was dry lips."

Anonymous January 6, 2018

"Made my acne 10x worse. I now have horrible scarring that I would have never had without it. Made me depressed and really dark thoughts. Would not recommend."

Nc98 January 4, 2018

"The medication was able to remove all of my acne effectively and I was very happy with the results for few months then after I finished the drug course which was was about 6 months the acne started to show again. The reason for that could be because I didn’t use any preventative treatment afterwards like cream or something Ps : side effects of the drug were pretty depressing like : dryness of hand palms and eyes and eyelids , severe dryness of lips"

Shahad r December 25, 2017

"Honestly, I believe Accutane is great, I was doubting it in the start but here is my story. I'm currently 17, 18 in two months, so for the past three years I had been in severe depression because of acne, I have tried everything, tactuo, antibiotics, ointment, oh man literally everything. Then my doctor recommended Accutane, I really was scared taking it reading the side effects. My mom did not want me to start taking it but I decided that I should give it a chance. So I did and its the best decision I have ever made. Yes, I am facing many side effects such as minor hair fall but currently its very minor hair loss, I get super dry skin but every morning I put on CereVe which I highly recommend. All in all, you should give it a try, have faith."

Winnie123456 December 20, 2017

"My daughter was on this for 6 weeks and on her second blood test was told she had high cholesterol and high potassium levels. Days later she was rushed to hospital and was told the roaccutane caused pancreatitis. No one told her this was a risk when you take it"

Andy443 December 9, 2017

"I wish people were more aware of the long term potential side effects of Accutane. I feel like my doctor failed me and I failed myself by not digging into what an insanely harmful drug this often is. I really mean OFTEN! Do your research before taking this stuff! There seems to be no end to the side effects and the lives it can ruin. Quality of life is effected by so much more than those pimples on your face. You'll realize that when you're 25 and have brain fog and memory loss of a 60 year old whose gone through chemo. If I could do it again and spend more time and money of finding a natural alternative for my acne, you bet I would have. Educate yourself for your own sake."

Jordan33 December 7, 2017

"I wanted to share my experience, because it's been just over a year since I stopped taking accutane, and the results have been amazing. I started in May of 2016 after years of mild acne ruined my self confidence. The only negative thing I will say about this medication is that it knocks you down before it picks you up. I suffered awful dry skin at first, so much so I couldn't even shave without my face getting cut up. However, after about a month of this, and my acne not getting any better, I started to see results, and in the year since I ended my 5 month regimen, besides the occasional white head, my skin is as clear as ever."

Sean O (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

"Along with braces for my teeth, accutane was one of the best things I’ve ever done. At the age of 12, I started to have severe acne and serious breakouts that would never go away, no matter what I tried, no matter what topical medications I was prescribed. Finally, at 14, I was prescribed accutane, and I have to say, it was truly life changing. I did experience a rash-type skin response, along with sensitivity for the first week or so. After that, my skin became very dry. It was slightly annoying because I felt like a snake, as much as my skin was dry and sloughing off, but it was 1,000% worth it. Here I am now I’m my 20s and my skin is so clear and beautiful. I receive compliments all the time! Accutane was a life saver."

Natalie DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

"My experience with accutane was for the most part very positive. I suffered from breakouts on my forehead that wouldn’t go away no matter what I tried. I had taken various kinds of birth control over the years to help with my break outs but by the age of 20 it wasn’t helping with my acne at all anymore. The first week or so of taking accutane I got what looked to be a rash on my whole face that was hot to the touch and sore. I felt like I had alligator skin! The rash went away though within a week or two and then the dry skin started but it was nothing I couldn’t keep on top of. I used a vitamin e cream to keep it hydrated. I only did one round of medication and it seemed to do the trick. The dry skin is so worth it!!! My skin is beautiful!"

Accutane girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2017

"I first had acne at the age of 12 and I thought nothing of my appearance and I was just a kid - you know I just didn't care of what other people thought. But then at the age of 14/15 I began to compare my skin to peers and I absolutely HATED what I saw in the mirror. I had awful acne the doctor even said "the most severe he has come across" because not only did i have it on my face and neck it was also down my back. So at the age of 15 I was finally put on roacutane! and I have to say I will never take my clear skin for granted it's the best thing I have EVER done! During the process I got extremely dry lips but it's all worth it in the end! It's life changing.. RECOMMEND TO ANYBODY!!"

emilyeakers (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2017

"Accutane made my life better!!! I went on it twice, the first time didn’t really have an effect, but the second time worked. I have been off of it for several months and my face has no zits or blemishes. I still have scarring though but it is going away over time. The dry skin and lips is all worth it in the end."

sarah99981 September 30, 2017

"My acne was cleared. Extreme depression began."

tc2213 September 11, 2017

"I didn't get acne until I was 18 and did every diet, cleanser, spot treatment out there for about 6 years. I ended up SO depressed with horrible hormonal acne on my chin/chest and was losing the battle. I was always against accutane because the horrible side effects associated with it. My chest cleared up by the first month. The results are AMAZING and I finally feel like I'm thriving rather than hiding behind thick coats of makeup and high cut shirts. So, its a really complicated process to even start the whole accutane journey. You have to get your blood drawn once a month and women HAVE to be on birth control. Its very expensive and your skin will completely dry out but worth it. Drink lots of water, eat healthy & aquaphor. WORTH IT!!!"

Fwwwwwww (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

"Hey guys, I just got on accutane after 3 years of cystic, red dot acne on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. My acne isn't severe, but it's enough to make me lose confidence in my appearance. I tried everything (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, oral medication, tazarotene, washing face regularly, etc.) but it never led to long term improvement. Only the benzoyl peroxide provided temporary improvement but never really got my face to where I wanted it to be: 100% clear from my acne. I have been taking accutane for 8 days now and I can see that my face is already improving. I have not experienced any major side effects yet. However, can feel my lips are starting to get dry, but I have Aquaphor to take care of that. So far so good!"

Gucci 'tane (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

"The drug is honestly a hit or miss. It worked wonders for my brother who had severe acne; he has had only a few pimples since his first and only cycle ended over a year ago. However, I did not have such results. My face was clear for about 2 months following my first treatment and then it turned briskly into a battlefield again. I am now on my second cycle, at month 3, and acne is still everywhere. It's a cursed life, my friends."

LordForthwind August 25, 2017

"Contrary to what a subject said , claiming this medicine got him depressed, I would say that my life BEFORE it was of depression, loneliness, extremely low self-esteem and self-worth. After I started taking it, my hopes were raised up. The results were amazing just after one month. Unfortunately I had to redo the treatment. Today I still take one box or two now and then. Had it not been for this medicine, my face skin would be now badly damaged and I'd still be covered in grade 3 and even grade 4 acne. My life, I don't even want to think about what it would be like now if I hadn't done these treatments. I do recommend Roacutan. Endure the side effects no matter how harsh they may be in your body. It will pay off eventually."

RobertoBrasil August 22, 2017

"This medicine nearly finished with my life. I got so depressed and lost and the experience was horrendous! Do not take this medicine - your skin will improve but believe me it will cause you severe depression and mental illness. Is not worthy! Trust me. You become completely severely depressed."

Is no worthy!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2017

"I had severe acne when I was in my early teens, I tried different types of antibiotics, retin A, duac and more before finally trying Accutane. I started taking it at 15 years old and was on 40 mg for seven months . It was a MIRACLE. My skin was 100% clear after one month and after seven months scarring was gone too. My skin stayed PERFECT for five years! Around 6 months ago acne started coming back though nothing like what it was before. I am now on my second day of 10mg of accutane since I have very very mild acne. I am so used to perfect skin that even the tiniest pimple can really upset me. Either way accutane changed my life. Highly recommend!!!!!"

Danielle1210020 August 10, 2017

"I'm a male and about as soon as I hit puberty (around 11-12) I got the full force of whiteheads on my forehead. It was terrible. I was self-conscious and confidence deprived. I started using Proactive, which didn't work and it irritated my skin very bad. My forehead acne gradually went away on its own though, but another hurdle arose; it returned everywhere else on my face. This problem would stay until I was 16. Throughout those years I was prescribed different meds like Solodyn & Doryx, which didn't really do anything for me. The summer of 2017 I went to the derm to be prescribed Accutane. I'm just left with a little hyperpigmentation. Only real side-effect is very dry lips that are manageable with Aquaphor."

Trectik (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

"I used to have moderate cystic acne - down my back, on my arms and of course all over my face. It was my greatest insecurity and the cause for my low self esteem. I would simply refuse to go outside without wearing layers of makeup first and would constantly pop my pimples in order to flatten them out and attempt to conceal them better with makeup- stupid, I know . I have Accutane to thank for changing this about me. It has been my messiah. I won't claim to have picture perfect skin but after 8 months on this drug my skin is nothing like it used to be. Nowadays I don't wake up and pat my face for new breakouts , first thing in the morning filled with dread. Of course it is important to take this drug responsibly and keep your Derm informed"

SedonaScarlet August 8, 2017

"I was on Accutane my senior year of high school. When I was first recommended for Accutane, I was not happy. But having just finished it after six months, I can confidently say that I was the best decision I've ever made. Sure, the dry skin was a bit of a pain sometimes and I had days when I was insecure, but in my mind, it was either a little dry skin, or a ton of acne. Accutane worked for me within the first week. My face cleared up almost immediately. I have been off the drug for about a month now and my skin has never looked better. For any high schooler considering Accutane, take it from me (an 18 year old girl), it is definitely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017