User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

"I'm a 24 y/o female that had been dealing with mild acne four about a decade (rarely cystic). I've been on Accutane for about a month and a half and my face is almost perfect. It's done wonders for my confidence - I can even go out without makeup now. The only side effect I have is severely chapped lips (like, SEVERELY) - BUT - the risk far outweighs the results. I have recommended this medication to so many people."

67452451 July 25, 2016

"I am a 31 year old single lady and been suffering cystic acne for almost two years. I have tried everything but nothing really works until my dermatologist recommended Acnetrex 50mg 3 months ago. My lips had been very dry but who cares I am now acne free. :))"

Lakshmii (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I wanna start by saying I have battled w acne for years & tried basically everything money could buy - pills to creams, going to specialists doctors, derms, beauty bars, etc. I went off the pill at 27 & thought my acne was done but had the worst flare up ever. Tried spironolactone which helped a tiny bit w oil but it was still so bad. Cysts under the skin, blackheads, acne on my back or chest, it was so embarrassing. I am going on my third month of accutane & it's been a miracle I feel like I could cry. My skin clear/smooth & people tell me I'm glowing. I still have scars all over that will need to heal & my skin can get hella dry--well everything gets dry bc you are super dehydrated but it is DEF WORTH IT."

Briiiii bri July 21, 2016

"Not worth it! There are other methods to clear up the infection. Try an antibiotic first. I have had to be on antibiotics for years now to keep the cystic acne manageable. I tried accutane and I regret taking it for the six days that I did. May have issues forever. Now I'm back on a normal antibiotic with zero side effects. Also, I started using a home made scrub my sister in law made me. :) hope this helps."

Mck Jack July 19, 2016

"Accutane is working wonders for me. I am an 18 year old male who was skeptical at first because I had literally tried everything to clear up my cystic acne I had on my back and chest. I am now 1 month into my 5 month course and am already seeing a huge improvement. Other then the dry lips, I have no other side effects. Some people say accutane makes them depressed and suicidal, but accutane has actually made me more happy and more energetic then I was. I feel so much more confident about my skin now then I ever have. It's summer, and now I am never wearing a shirt because accutane has made me more confident. Strongly recommend this drug, as it has worked wonders for me so far."

matt23 July 19, 2016

"Accutane is the best drug for acne out there today. My experience with it was amazing. I had severe acne all over my face and within a month most of my acne was gone. I would recommend this drug to anyone suffering bad acne."

Matt2015 July 19, 2016

"So I've been off accutane now for 4-5 months. My skin is still amazing. I had awful scaring and spots on my arms back chest and face before, my skin is now flawless. My Dermotologist said that once I stopped accutane My face would get inflamed however it didn't. I only get few spots now, only on my face which is great. I've become less paranoid about my body and face. I strongly suggest accutane. All the side effects are worth it. I suffered from awful anxiety which accutane has resolved for me. I feel so happy!"

Tan:) June 30, 2016

"This me's worked wonders for me when I was 24. After years of severe adult acne, this was the only thing that helped. Fast forward to my 40's, I tried 2 courses of Accutane for severely oily skin. When you have skin this oily and finally your makeup looks like velvet matte perfection , it's almost too good to be true. I developed 2 bad side effects that were NOT listed in my booklet. Hair loss and severe dark under eye circles . Nothing else was different in my life except the Accutane. I feel like I traded one issue( and it's only temporary, oil comes back) for two worse issues . I'm devastated. Had I been told this was even a small possibility I would never have done this. was a super fan but not so much now."

JeniLeigh23 June 25, 2016

"I am 17 and I have had pretty moderate acne since I could remember, and pretty severe acne on my back for last four or five years. I asked my dermatologist to start me on accutane as I've had two friends who sware by it. The first month I was on 40mg Claravis, my side effects were dry lips, skin, and scalp, nose bleeds out the wazoo, and weird rashes around my elbows and hands. But the results were incredible. All of my back acne was gone within the first week. The blackheads on my chin vanished. Although it made my face breakout slightly worse, I was warned that would happen. I am now on month two 60mg Myorisan and the side effects are slightly worse this month. also, it is a bit pricey. But still, very happy with this medication."

Jayboles June 22, 2016

"Review part 2 ) Took this medicine for 6 months. No side effects until I was off the medication and ended up with acne returning and dry scalp and face. (Really bad) this medicine was not worth it. Never was. Believe all the warnings and this is coming from one of the lucky ones. Best believe at 17 I had everyone asking me what I was doing and saying my skin was equivalent to that of a toddler's. But now I'm 22 and this has gone away. Little reward for a high risk with long lasting effect... MAKE ANOTHER DRUG THAT DOESNT KILL YOU IF YOU WANT GOOD SKIN"

MarleyMar June 4, 2016

"Omg I love accutane. Best think that ever happened to me. I have 2 months left of this medication and I don't want it to end. Right now my face looks so perfect and flawless occasionally a zit or two nothing major at all! I'm so sad that I won't be on it and that my acne will come back! I didn't have awful acne before 1-10 it was like a 4 or 5 (10 being the worst) but I suffered from AWFUL black heads. No any more my nose looks perfect. I did get huge cystic acne as soon as I started the medication and I had almost every side effect from 20 nose bleeds a day to chap lips to my hair literally coming out in HUGE chunks and extreme joint pain. But it was so so so worth it"

Kjbr (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"I've already commented before I just wanted everyone to know I'm off roacutane now. It's been just over a month and having my final check up soon. So happy with the results honestly. I feel so much more confident and happy it was worth every side effect. for the first time in 8 years(I'm 18) I now can go out of the house without makeup on. And I'm not exaggerating. I'm so happy and I honestly think anyone with bad skin should try this honestly it's so worth it"

Tannnnn May 11, 2016

"I have have had mild/persistent acne for about 6 years now (I'm 22) and have tried several treatments. The most effective was doryx which I was on for nearly 6 months, it cleared my skin up completely. However, that clear skin only lasted few months, and by the end of the treatment my acne was flaring up again. That is when my dermatologist prescribed me accutane. I was assured there would be no new flare ups because my acne was mild. However, I am on day 12 now and I can say my skin was clearer when I started accutane than it is now. On top of that I am experiencing very dry skin and chapped/cracked lips. I am going to stick the full treatment out, but just a warning that more likely than not you will break out before it gets better."

sean o May 10, 2016

"I am 24 and have had med. level acne on my face for many years, and more recently on my shoulders. I started Accutane March 2016 at 20mg. Apr 30mg and next week -May 40mg. Symptoms in March; chapped lips, dry face, body aches, blurry vision, new oil pimples. April- My symptoms changed to; eyes sensitive to sunlight, heart burn with greasy foods, body aches, dryness, dry hair/split ends/thinner hair, and my skin has a slower healing process now so any pimples I have touched will stay for weeks. Also, I have noticed that on the days I do drink one gallon of water or more my symptoms go away. I also eat healthy and I try to take daily vitamins. Choose a reputable derm!"

Alex305 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

"My daughter was 15 at the time and was given Oratane. Certainly it worked temporarily for the acne but as a result of this horrible drug she developed irritable bowel syndrome. It has been a year off it and things have NOT returned to normal. She was referred to the hospital and the specialist told us that recent research shows that this drug can cause perforation of the bowel."

Terri Monroe April 19, 2016

"My son has severe acne from his Crohn's drugs and now he wants to take Accutane - I see it as a death sentence of sorts, but I can understand what he is going through at just 13 years old. Has anyone tried Accutane when they are already wrestling with Crohn's? His Crohn's is in remission and he is using Humira every two weeks now. We suspect Prednisone as the initial cause of his acne."

veryworrieddad April 15, 2016

"I read the Accutane horror stories, so I turned down my dermatologists suggestion of it. After 4 more years (25 now), the cystic acne has just been getting worse and worse. It was seriously impacting my life. I just finished a month ago doing a 5 month 60mg/day treatment and my skin is flawless. I cannot believe it. I actually have better skin than people who I once thought had beautiful perfect skin. I experienced some joint pain the first month and dry lips the entire time, but I started seeing reductions in acne by month 2 and had no new cysts by month 4. There are still a few that are healing (yes, I would get some cysts that take 6-8 months to heal). I would highly recommend this. I have so much of my life back not worrying about skin."

JustDoItAlready (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"I was on accutane for a little over 6 months. I started at 30mgs/day, but became suicidal and had severe joint pain so my doc dropped me to 20mgs/day. I was able to handle the dryness and sun sensitivity. Ultimately I stopped taking it early because it dried out my lungs and (although I can't prove it) I believe my new diagnosis of asthma is due to the accutane. I suffered from horrible chest pain for over a month before figuring out it was the accutane. Once I stopped, the chest pain went away, but the asthma has not gone away. It did completely clear up my skin, but I don't know if it was worth it. I've been off for 3 months now and I have a little acne again, but it's not anywhere near as bad as it was before."

tilnih (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

"At the age of 25, I had severe hormonal acne appearing under my chin and on my jawline, deep black heads, scarring, super oil face and hair before taking Accutane. This medication is totally worth it! I've tried so many OTC medications, prescribed so many creams and oral pills, chemical peels, dieting, Proactive, etc. Nothing worked! I used to have horrible skin in high school as well and it cleared up for a few years then the acne came back. I went to my dermatologist and she recommend Accutane for 5 months. The first two months I had the initial break out and it sucked but I knew it would get worse before it got better. My face was pretty clear by the third month. By the fourth month I only had little scars and now I'm acne free!"

lee337 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

"Accutane is the king of acne treatments. I took this medicine about 3 weeks ago. I don't know why does my body react so fast with this medicine. My face now is 80% clear, and I feel so much more confident. I recommend that asking your der for this drug, it' amazing guys."

Toya1995 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

"don't risk it, it's not worth losing yourself in the process of clearing your acne."

Accutane survivour April 1, 2016

"Ive been suffering frok acne from the age of 12 ever since ive been so insecure,at the age of 13 i started putting foundation to cover it up,it was reallly bad.Accutane/roaccutane saved my life and my confidence in many ways,im 14 ive been with this medication for 3 months now ive seen alot of change in my skin,really happy with my results,i really recommend roaccutane,i started off with 20 mg then 30 then 40,my side effects were nose bleed,dry lips,dry face,back pain,headaches and joint pain but its definatly worth it.i took a before and after pic and in these 3 months ive seen alot of difference and now i can go out in public without makeup!ive tried everythinn and nothing worked except for roaccutane."

Haileymay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"My experience with accutane was amazing! I have always had acne and have tried everything over the counter but nothing worked. I did have some side effects including extremely dry lips, as well as pretty bad joint and muscle pain. My skin was also dry too including my scalp. But I loved it because I could go without washing my hair for a week! It was great. These side effects sucked while going through them, but absolutely worth it for the results! After a few months of finishing, my lips, scalp and skin were no longer as dry as they were while on the medication. My skin is definitely not as oily as it was before I started! I have no regrets about taking this Med and I would absolutely recommended accutane to others!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2016

"I was suffering from severe acne since I was 14 years, tried many tropical and antibiotics but failed,, when I turned 17 I was on accutane 20mg, at beginning there were no results, even after 4 months ,nothing changed much, but after 5th month I could really see a difference, my face started clearing, even though there many scar and holes. but my parents stopped me on this medicine due to its serious side effects. my immune system became weak and I am suffering from tuberculosis now. my parents blame the medicine for this disease as it had weaken my immune sys,, but it really got my face cleared. There are no outbreaks now but scar persist. I would seriously recommend it but on an advice to get a regular checkup throughout your treatment, GOOD LUCK"

anonymous 258 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

"I been on accutane a few weeks , I am seeing results! !! Although my Lips are so dry it hurts the dryness is the worse !!vasaline saved my life!!!!!!! I did get rashes on my hands and arms and itching on my legs! But hey my face looks better at the end a few months of suffering is totally worth it!!"

cheen March 9, 2016