User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 406 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

"This medicine nearly finished with my life. I got so depressed and lost and the experience was horrendous! Do not take this medicine - your skin will improve but believe me it will cause you severe depression and mental illness. Is not worthy! Trust me. You become completely severely depressed."

Is no worthy!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had severe acne when I was in my early teens, I tried different types of antibiotics, retin A, duac and more before finally trying Accutane. I started taking it at 15 years old and was on 40 mg for seven months . It was a MIRACLE. My skin was 100% clear after one month and after seven months scarring was gone too. My skin stayed PERFECT for five years! Around 6 months ago acne started coming back though nothing like what it was before. I am now on my second day of 10mg of accutane since I have very very mild acne. I am so used to perfect skin that even the tiniest pimple can really upset me. Either way accutane changed my life. Highly recommend!!!!!"

Danielle1210020 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a male and about as soon as I hit puberty (around 11-12) I got the full force of whiteheads on my forehead. It was terrible. I was self-conscious and confidence deprived. I started using Proactive, which didn't work and it irritated my skin very bad. My forehead acne gradually went away on its own though, but another hurdle arose; it returned everywhere else on my face. This problem would stay until I was 16. Throughout those years I was prescribed different meds like Solodyn & Doryx, which didn't really do anything for me. The summer of 2017 I went to the derm to be prescribed Accutane. I'm just left with a little hyperpigmentation. Only real side-effect is very dry lips that are manageable with Aquaphor."

Trectik (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to have moderate cystic acne - down my back, on my arms and of course all over my face. It was my greatest insecurity and the cause for my low self esteem. I would simply refuse to go outside without wearing layers of makeup first and would constantly pop my pimples in order to flatten them out and attempt to conceal them better with makeup- stupid, I know . I have Accutane to thank for changing this about me. It has been my messiah. I won't claim to have picture perfect skin but after 8 months on this drug my skin is nothing like it used to be. Nowadays I don't wake up and pat my face for new breakouts , first thing in the morning filled with dread. Of course it is important to take this drug responsibly and keep your Derm informed"

SedonaScarlet August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Accutane my senior year of high school. When I was first recommended for Accutane, I was not happy. But having just finished it after six months, I can confidently say that I was the best decision I've ever made. Sure, the dry skin was a bit of a pain sometimes and I had days when I was insecure, but in my mind, it was either a little dry skin, or a ton of acne. Accutane worked for me within the first week. My face cleared up almost immediately. I have been off the drug for about a month now and my skin has never looked better. For any high schooler considering Accutane, take it from me (an 18 year old girl), it is definitely worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is dangerous. I am a healthy 22 year old guy. Around 2.5 months into a six month course of 60mg/day roaccutane I developed severe depression, anxiety and psychosis. I have no family history of mental illness and had never been depressed in my life before this. Everything caused me to panic, I couldn't leave the house or even talk to my parents. It felt like the drug had taken control of my mind. I shook uncontrollably and couldn't eat or sleep. For a week after stopping, I could barely function without breaking down. This drug will improve your skin, but trust me, its not worth it, however desperate you feel. Think carefully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffered from very mild acne since 17. Odd breakouts around period.No acne during pregnancies. Getting worse over years. Just had a baby and skin was perfect for a few days then woke up with 100+ tiny bumps on face. Thought they'd disappear but decided to become infected. Just started taking drug (30mg as already depressed about skin condition) day 8 and have had massive cystic spots (3) on face but are drying up quite quick. The most annoying thing is these tiny white heads I keep getting around my mouth-edge of lips. I cant help but pop them as they look really disgusting. Using Cetaphil products and aloe lotion for dryness a week before starting treatment so dryness hasn't really been an issue so far. Hope this works and gets rid of tiny bumps"

Note Worthy (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not take this drug. It cleared up my acne, but it destroyed my mind. I became severely depressed. I've never had depression before. I would cry all the time. I began having severe panic attacks. It felt like I lost my mind for those 6 to 7 months. It was the darkest place I have ever been in my life. After stopping the medication the damage was done. The depression went away after about 6 months. But I continued to have anxiety issues, heart problems, and social anxiety. I took this medication 7 years ago. And it wasn't until about 2 or 3 years ago where I finally started feeling somewhat normal again. It caused anger spells and just does so much damage to your brain and you can't control your emotion"

cavzjm June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mother had severe cystic acne 10 yrs though she was a beautiful 29 year old bride in 1957. It is an INHERITED skin disease! I was first of 3 boys and got severe acne that was incurable from my mid teens through to my marriage in 1985. Embarrassing psychologically and emotionally because I felt ugly growing up and afraid to ask girls on dates. Early in career & marriage Accutane was brought to market and attention of my dermatologist who prescribed it for about a year - no guarantee as new drug. 100% success and it cured my dastardly acne! No significant side effects. Our son got the family skin disease & we had doctor prescribe Accutane which cured his cystic acne too. Thank u Accutane"

The Canadian Donald (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great so far after finishing my 6-month cycle. After about 2 1/2 months after starting to take it my face acne was gone , and my back acne was all gone at about 5 to 6 months, lots of scars though. Considering my back was terrible. When I stopped I thought it would come back but it did not, for now... I really hope it doesn't... My skin was very dry but nothing I couldn't handle lots of lip chap and face moisturizer, the only side effect was a red face, that I still have now after 2 months of stopping it. Other than that it was great to me. Hopefully, I can keep saying that in the future."

Max_12345 June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took accutane for about 6 months, on the 5th month I noticed significant changes to my skin. By the end of the 6th month my face was completely clear and I was only left with scarring. It has been 3 and a half year since I have taken accutane, I can say with certainty that it was the best decision I made for my skin, even my scarring has almost disappeared. After my acne cleared up I was more confident and didn't even feel the need to wear any makeup like I did prior to this medication. The only bad side effect I got from this drug was extremely dry/chapped lips and skin, to the point where my lips would bleed from dryness. I would suggest putting a heavy moisturiser and chapstick on every day."

hs1 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Miracle. Period. I had ZERO side effects and I feel so much better I can't even describe the feeling of relief. This medicine literally saved my life and I would take it again. I wish I could take it every day because it made my skin look AMAZING. I haven't had a SINGLE pimple or cyst since I finished this. I used to have cysts so huge they would turn my skin purple. I have horrendous scars all over my face from the damage. But now? It's getting better and I feel like a new person. Thank you!"

ChaseAdamz96 May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I want to thank the people responsible for the creation and distribution of this product! I am so so so happy and satisfied. I want to share my story with the world. I want to show my pictures of my results to everyone! This products is a true blessing and I do not regret taking a single pill. My skin looks fabulous! Thank you!"

SharneO1996 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was so scared to take Accutane due to all of the experiences with initial breakouts and dry lips/skin. I've just began my third month and could not be happier. After the first month, I had stopped getting active acne and from then on, my skin has just been post-inflammatory acne scars that get less red day by day. My skin is no where near perfect, but the difference between what it is now and what it was pre-accutane is EXTRAORDINARY. I thankfully experienced no initial breakout. In fact, after just a week my skin had started clearing. My skin has not been dry at all- I've had no problems with dry lips or dry skin (I do apply aquafor generously throughout the day and moisturize twice a day) My treatment is Absorbica 40mg daily"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped with acne, although not the "miracle" we hoped for. However, he did experience severe psych issues at month #4. A college kid with absolutely no previous psych issues , became very depressed. No specific incidents or issues occurred, just a depression over nothing. Tears and sadness with no links to anything. Couldn't eat or sleep.We immediately stopped."

BW Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had horrible cyst acne for years started taking accutane 3 months ago am completely clear now. Bad points joint pain dry skin and lips Get yourself blistex relief cream works wonders for your lips"

Mellor99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"stuff sucks for the 1st 4 months but after the 6th month I went from 50 pimples to 0, been off of it for a year and maybe one odd break out a month .. dry lips,dry eyes and stay out of the sun"

adam33 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In the sense of clearing skin, yes it did amazing, Almost to good to be true. I honestly told everyone about it. I took it for 6 months, Later that year I self harmed for the first time, this continued for years after taking Accutane I've suffered from depression, my weight starting changing dramatically I went from almost 200 to just just below 100 back up to 170 in a short amount of time. Around that time I was checked into an eating disorder center. The depression plus eating issues and lack of energy I looked for another way to be okay, I started on street drugs to control my depression, before Accutane I was such a happy guy, I know it's discounted, and for good reason too I just thought people might be able to relate."

Stevieaz91gmail.com (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start off by saying - this drug works. For most, if not all of middle/high school, I had very bad acne that was resistant to doxycycline, minocycline, proactiv, Murad, benzoyl peroxide, salycilic acid, and all the wipes I could get my hands on. You more than likely will be free from acne at least for a few years after treatment, and it's absolutely wonderful! Being able to walk around without having to check mirrors for a new red/white bump on your face is as great as you think it will is. Unfortunately all this comes at a cost, which is why they're so serious and cautious when giving it to you. They still don't know exactly how it works - only that it's permanent. It doesn't just affect your acne it affects your entire body."

Jon75438 April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Son started this medicine in September of 2016.. He just finished his lost dose last month and I am very please with results. It was a process but well worth it! I would highly recommend other teens take the medicine. His acne was very very bad. But NOT anymore!"

Ms.Douglas April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My face was horrendous before I used (ro)Accutane, to the point I couldn't see out of my left eye due to the level of spots/boils I had swelling up and becoming one. I noticed a difference on Accutane after a month or so, but the real improvements start after approximately 2 months depending on how bad you have it (mine was really bad and aggressive). I would definitely recommend reading the book of side effects you are given, I am "lucky" as I only really suffered with depression, which as most of us know you do so if you have acne anyway. One recommendation is not going in direct sun light until a month or so after finishing the treatment, and finding a very good face and lip moisturiser and these 2 parts will become very very dry!"

UKmale April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"These will mess you up. I stopped after a round of treatment because my life was falling apart around me, I couldn't get up out of bed and was severely depressed and agoraphobic. Years after taking them, I still don't feel myself and wish I had never taken these."

Hijinks April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Currently on accutane 40mg and just completed a little over three weeks. Feeling confident that it will get better the more I progress, but unfortunately having some pretty annoying side effects in the process. Accutane has made my roots dry (which is kinda good because I don't need to wash as often) but led me to have dandruff. I also get nosebleeds and currently experiencing worst blackhead breakouts I've ever had on my nose, cheeks, forehead and chin. Before accutane blackheads is what I had the least of and now they are taking over. I started this because back acne and as of right now I see no improvement which is fine because it's been a short while. I can't wait till I reach the end of this road already though."

NicoleeeXx March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had bad Cystic acne since middle school, When I was 15 in 2009 my Dermo put me on accutane, Loved! About 6 years later my acne has retuned with a vengance. I tried other medications these past two years and nothing worked. So i dicided to do another round of Accutane. I started March first 2017 and 30 days later my face is about half way clear already! I just a moisturized didnt wor so i use a combination of coconut oil before bed, and then cle patra oil in the morning. The flakeness of my face is ver minimal now. Super dry lips, using vasline every 2 hours helps! Other than that no cpmplaints. LOVE THIS DRUG!"

NomoreJosieGrosie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haves struggled with acne since high school. I admit, it wasn't as severe as other cases. I occasionally had cysts, which I would cover with bandaids because I was too embarrassed. Over the years, my skin has been more clear but it's never really gone away. I'm currently in my sixth month of accutane. I think at this point, I was expecting more of a drastic change but haven't noticed a huge difference... yet. It's starting to kick in now though. The only side effects I have encountered are the dry lips, and the sweaty upper lip and eyebrows. The hardest part was the short time frame between lab work and getting the pills. More expensive than we anticipated, just in trying to order it. Stressful, but overall, better results than before."

Yelah (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017