User Reviews for Accutane (Page 2)

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 433 reviews 562 medications

8.4
Summary of Accutane reviews 441 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "Today is my first day of taking Accutane, and the reviewed shared in this blog actually helps and i'm looking forward in completing my 6 months treatment and getting good results.I will update you guys in 2 weeks time..."

NickyB15 February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My son had severe acne. We tried every prescription and non-prescription topical cream and also the oral medications, minocycline and doxycycline. Nothing worked and he was struggling for 2 years with self esteem crushing acne all over his face. I was hesitant to have him try Accutane because of all the side effects but I'm so glad we decided to have him try it. He started at 40 mg the first month and then switched to 80 mg for 5 months. His face is completely clear. I call this a miracle drug. It's not for everyone and please realize there are some serious side effects for some people. My son mainly just had chapped lips and some peeling skin but nothing that wasn't manageable with moisturizer and chap stick"

Tnt3 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Very good results, although I had terribly dry, red skin, face moisturizer really helped! the medicine done its job & I only took about 5 months of accutane which left me with clear skin. I get a clogged pore or a small pimple every now and then but over all, great medicine! Really does wonders"

jessygirl122 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I took 60 mg of accutane for almost 6 months and I had moderate to severe acne. Did help my acne tremendously and though once in a while I still get a little pimple here and there, it is not to the severity of before taking the medication. However the side effect was brutal: very dry skin, nosebleed , and a lot of hair shedding. I say the hair shedding was the worst side effect of the medication because I was shedding hair during the medication and even after I stop taking accutane, I developed telogen effluvium which cause more shedding for three more months. Eventually the shedding stop and everything went back to normal. Yes this medication is effective for treating acne but be cautious of side effect."

Tr0y February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had acne for about 8 years. Last year it suddenly deteriorated into severe nodular cystic acne. I started Accutane in September 2016, I'm nearly finished my sixth month and I still have the same nodules and cysts that I had at beginning of the treatment, I'm still breaking out the same as before. Accutane is effective for 96% of people whilst they're on it, so I'm not bashing Accutane, it's an amazing drug for the majority of people. I'm obviously an exception and I'm devastated."

Doomed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "​Hello everyone, I'm your typical 18 year old lad and have never written on a forum before but I want to write something for the people that are worried about taking this (in my opinion) miracle drug. I am coming to the end of my 6 month course and I can honestly say it's been life changing. Before I started Roaccutane, I was fairly depressed and seriously lacking confidence due to my appearance. But after months of failed treatments on various antibiotics, I was referred to a dermatologist who instantly said there's only one way to fix my acne problem, Roaccutane. At first I thought this is the worst case scenario and I'm going to be even more depressed as a result of the possible mental health side affects. Depression has run in my family so I was very worried. However, living like with acne wasn't something I was prepared to do, so I started the course on 40mg a day. The first week I had a headache daily, but thankfully these die off after a week and paracetamol and ibuprofen will take all the pain away. Almost immediately, my lips were cracking and from then on in, I never went anywhere without some Carmex lip balm in my pocket. As the first 3 months went by, I was still breaking out and was starting to think it isn't going to work. However, I'm so glad I stuck with it because now I haven't got a single spot of my face and the scars have faded to the point where you can barely see them! After the third month, my derm upped my dose and I started to take 60mg a day. Luckily for me I hadn't had any serious side affects. Just your occasional nose bleed and dry skin, and sometimes my eyes were a bit blurry but it's not much of an issue. Anyway, I just want anyone reading this that is worried about starting this medication, that not everyone has a horror story about Roaccutane and I couldn't be happier at how it's made me feel!! Don't let acne take over your life!:)"

braaad1998 January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I recommend a lower dose of 40 mg if your acne is not that bad. I started out at 20 mg the first month, then 30 mg the second month, and 40 mg for months 3-6. I never had any nose bleeds. I was tired some times, joint pain, stiffness of hips, forgetfulness (for example forgetting that I just took a shower and realizing my hair was wet and I didn't need to take one), possible depression although I was bit irate at times before the taking the med. I did have a couple bad nightmares. I had chapped lips through like the whole time taking it. I had the bad habit of biting the skin off my lips.. The positive was no acne not too long after taking it.. although it did flare up a bit about a couple weeks in after taking it. Hair not oily. :)"

6 months of Isotretinoin (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've always had breakouts on my chin every month for the last 3 years so I tried this. I had a breakout on the 1st month of using this and it was the worse, good thing I don't have any school that time. But it healed faster when I steamed it and let all the cyst pop up. Although it left me a reddish chin that is really annoying. Im on my way to 2nd month and my face is 70% smooth. I can feel another breakout coming. How do I treat this redness on my face? Was it because of the steaming?"

wolf upper January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I struggled with such bad acne since I was in middle school. I tried almost every type of over the counter medicine that there was and none of it worked. During my Freshman year of high school, I decided that I needed a cure for my acne because of how terrible it was getting. I went to a dermatologist and he recommend Accutane for about 7 months. After about 3 months, I could not believe that my face was getting clearer! When I was finally done, my skin was clear! I was so excited!! I even recommend Accutane to one of my friends and her face turned out great as well. I took Accutane back in 2009 and I'm now 22 years old and my face still looks fantastic! I highly recommend Accutane to anyone who is struggling with acne, it works!"

Selenaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I started getting bad acne in my sophomore year of high school and it got progressively worst. I was at the point of depression and anxiety didn't know what to do. I took proactiv and retin A but none of it helped. Finally when I was 19 I started using accutane and had to get blood samples every month because it was so potent. It worked like magic though and all the bad acne went away and never came back. I experienced no side effects and my face has been clear ever since."

Ant1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am from the UK. I started on 20mg a day and within 11 days my acne had completely cleared. My dosage was then upped to 40mg which caused facial eczema for 6 months (skin blistering etc) not helped by the fact I didn't change my skin care routine straight away. Products I recommend; Lips - Carmex lip balm (liquid) yellow and red tube and inexpensive. The solid lip balms didn't work. For bad 'lip' days I used Cortibalm, which I could only get from EBay Face - Cetaphil gentle skin cleaser followed by Cetaphil moisturising lotion. For bad eczema patches I used Bepanthen nappy rash ointment (the only product that worked) I now have perfect skin for the first time in 30 years."

Catherine_Co January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I had moderate acne since I was 11. It started on my forehead, and eventually got really bad on my lower cheeks and jawline. My acne and very oily skin was not getting any better through college. I tried numerous prescribed tropicals and antibiotic pills that would only make my skin red and flaky. I did hours of research on DIY holistic approaches, therapy, diet, birth control etc, I wonder how much accumulated time I wasted... I had heard about Accutane but was apprehensive from reading some of the side effects. But I thought it was my last hope. All I can say is, I wish I had done it sooner. The few side effects were nothing compared to the results and how I now feel about myself. The oiliness is not as bad as it used to be either!"

5 years acne-free and counting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "This drug did clear up my acne. However, a couple weeks after finishing the 6 month treatment, I fell on an icy sidewalk and broke my leg in 6 places including a tibia spiral fracture. What the dermatologist didn't inform me was this drug can affect your bone density. A year after finishing this drug I'm still recovering from surgery for my leg and will most likely need another surgery. This also cost me my job. As a nurse, I highly discourage anyone to use this medication. The side effects are not worth it since there are so many other options out there for acne."

Grand Rapids, Michigan December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am an adult male who had tried almost everything THREE dermatologists. Some antibiotics would work briefly, retin a pretty much burned my skin in a couple days and we had to stop, liquid nitrogen was sprayed on my face every few weeks.. you name it, they tried it. Then, my current derm (10 years now) put me on accutane when we first met. Three 20mg a day for 6 months. Yes, I had drying of my LIPS but no other major side effects and my acne stopped. Yes, we have had some flare ups and we use accutane briefly to stop them and they stay stopped for years. It is really the only medication that slams the door on my acne.. even if not forever."

Ryan Healey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am on month 5 of it about to be on six and my skin feels a lot better, the only downside is your skin with stay tinted red even without actual zits or bumps until the medication is out of your system, my acne was cystic and now my face is very smooth but red. I Highly recommend not drinking alcohol on this you will get the worst hangover of your life, carry a travel size lotion and lip balm with you 24/7 as your skin and lips get extremely dry. I use cetaphil lotion everyday on my face and elbows so i don't get that "flakey dryness" look. All in all amazing product bad side effects i.e, abdominal pains, headaches, nose bleeds, blurred vision and depression "

Mattthecatguy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I experienced most of the side effects that my dermatologist told me about, primarily the dry skin portion. I was instructed to avoid chlorine, avoid direct sun light w/o sunscreen, and other things. The dry skin was really the only really not fun part, it was almost like eczema. I had large patches on my arms, and primarily at the corners of my mouth that were extremely painful when cracked. The doctor did recommend some facial moisturizers (Cerave), cleansers(Cerave), and lip balm(Aquaphor) to help in the healing process, which I still use today :) I was extremely pleased with my results and occasionally had zits after the use but nothing compared to the initial skin. My skin also recovered great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I have been on accuntane for just over 2 months so far, starting on 20mg a day, second month 40mg a day and going into my third month of 60mg. My skin is the worst it has ever been! I take comfort in the countless reviews that this medication does work and one day I will have clear skin! It's a small price to pay for a few months of hell to be acne free after years of putting up with it! The only plus side is the oily skin I used to suffer with is a distant memory! Dry lips are a slight pain although it's manageable, lipsticks stays on for a total of ten minutes. Dry skin and dry hair slightly also, the hardest part for me to cope with is the horrific breakout, however I'm assured that this is normal. Fingers crossed it works."

Anonymous December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I honestly struggled with acne all my life . I was wearing foundation in like 6th grade because of how bad my face was . I would always be jealous of the girl that could wake up an walk out an still look good . My confidence without makeup Is very low . But I have to say I e been on this a few months now an today was the first day in my life I've went out without my foundation on just my bare skin . Yes I have like two lil pimples but I'm so proud of myself for accomplishing this . I couldn't be any happier . This is all I ever wanted was to still feel that I looked good without the pounds of makeup I used to cover up my face an every little pimple . This stuff is life changing . I recommend it to anyone ."

Brittany Niki December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I tried so many acne medications, but none of them did the job as well as Accutane. It's been about 6 months since I finished my cycle and I haven't had a problem with acne since. I had bad cystic acne that I hated and it made me never want to go out or do anything for fear of people seeing how bad my face was. Initially I was scared of using the medication because of all the side effects, but they were really not bad and I survived it with barely any issues except the dry skin. Your acne will get a bit worse before it gets better so be patient and stick with it."

Gbreezy December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Oh, thank you, God! I am now a 48 year old female, and I developed acne at 13 years old. Absolutely nothing worked for my acne or my TREMENDOUSLY oily skin. My life was very different from other kids' lives that had normal skin. I started Accutane at 20, and I've had to repeat the medication about every 13 years. I strongly recommend Accutane, 6 months on 40 mg, and am very happy with my results. Good luck to everyone!"

Deanie68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "within the first two months on acutane my acne got much much worse but after that it got much bettter although it did leave behind many scars due to the severity of my acne because of the medicine in the first two months ... if I knew this would happen I would've just let my acne play out without the acutane"

Jag_masta November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Accutane saved my life. I struggled with acne since I was in grade 6. I was so hesitant for taking this drug for many years, always scared because I struggle with bad depression. I took 20mg (5'2/f/118 lbs) and that was good enough. It didnt affect my depression whatsoever. I also struggled with eating disorders so was paranoid of gaining weight. I lost weight and ran a half marathon on this drug. Don't let the forums trick you, although everyone is different. When I came off the accutane my skin broke out in AWFUL oil. It went away after a month. Other than that my skin is now pretty perfect, I miss being on it everyday to be honest. It makes your skin flawless."

misscxxoxoxo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I like everyone suffered from acne for the longest time. My face was so gross it hindered my self confidence and faith in myself. Like everyone, I tried a million creams and pills and washes, none worked, and a lot made my acne worse. Acutane is the nuclear option. It cuts off all moisture to your face, and your face basically presses the reset button and figures out that sending all that oil isn't a good idea. Of course, that means your lips are chapped, your face is dry, and you'll probably get nosebleeds. To me, that was more than worth it. If you think there are other routes to stop your face from looking like a pizza, try those, but if you've tried everything and are ready to nuke your face and try again, acutane worked."

Iron Greek (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Daughter age 15 took overdose of accutane in attempted suicide. Treated in emergency room and admitted to children's psychiatric hospital for one month. Treated by psychiatrists into young adulthood. There was no definitive linkage made and no investigation to find one. This took place in early 90s and the risk of depression and suicide might not have been well known. Anyone using this drug should be extremely vigilant, especially if patient is a teenager.."

Youngest56789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I'm just finished my second month on Accutane and I have never been happier about my skin! I have tried topical creams and antibiotics which did not help at all. When my dermatologist prescribed Accutane for my severe acne, I was doubtful after being prescribed unhelpful drugs. But I was wrong, and Accutane is working great for my skin. It's been a long struggle with acne and I am finally seeing results to clearer skin. The results you get from this medicine overpowers the side effects....trust me its worth it."

Zara1234 November 14, 2016