User Reviews for Accutane (Page 2)

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 423 reviews 536 medications

8.4
Summary of Accutane reviews 431 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "I am from the UK. I started on 20mg a day and within 11 days my acne had completely cleared. My dosage was then upped to 40mg which caused facial eczema for 6 months (skin blistering etc) not helped by the fact I didn't change my skin care routine straight away. Products I recommend; Lips - Carmex lip balm (liquid) yellow and red tube and inexpensive. The solid lip balms didn't work. For bad 'lip' days I used Cortibalm, which I could only get from EBay Face - Cetaphil gentle skin cleaser followed by Cetaphil moisturising lotion. For bad eczema patches I used Bepanthen nappy rash ointment (the only product that worked) I now have perfect skin for the first time in 30 years."

Catherine_Co January 7, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I had moderate acne since I was 11. It started on my forehead, and eventually got really bad on my lower cheeks and jawline. My acne and very oily skin was not getting any better through college. I tried numerous prescribed tropicals and antibiotic pills that would only make my skin red and flaky. I did hours of research on DIY holistic approaches, therapy, diet, birth control etc, I wonder how much accumulated time I wasted... I had heard about Accutane but was apprehensive from reading some of the side effects. But I thought it was my last hope. All I can say is, I wish I had done it sooner. The few side effects were nothing compared to the results and how I now feel about myself. The oiliness is not as bad as it used to be either!"

5 years acne-free and counting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "This drug did clear up my acne. However, a couple weeks after finishing the 6 month treatment, I fell on an icy sidewalk and broke my leg in 6 places including a tibia spiral fracture. What the dermatologist didn't inform me was this drug can affect your bone density. A year after finishing this drug I'm still recovering from surgery for my leg and will most likely need another surgery. This also cost me my job. As a nurse, I highly discourage anyone to use this medication. The side effects are not worth it since there are so many other options out there for acne."

Grand Rapids, Michigan December 30, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I am an adult male who had tried almost everything THREE dermatologists. Some antibiotics would work briefly, retin a pretty much burned my skin in a couple days and we had to stop, liquid nitrogen was sprayed on my face every few weeks.. you name it, they tried it. Then, my current derm (10 years now) put me on accutane when we first met. Three 20mg a day for 6 months. Yes, I had drying of my LIPS but no other major side effects and my acne stopped. Yes, we have had some flare ups and we use accutane briefly to stop them and they stay stopped for years. It is really the only medication that slams the door on my acne.. even if not forever."

Ryan Healey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I am on month 5 of it about to be on six and my skin feels a lot better, the only downside is your skin with stay tinted red even without actual zits or bumps until the medication is out of your system, my acne was cystic and now my face is very smooth but red. I Highly recommend not drinking alcohol on this you will get the worst hangover of your life, carry a travel size lotion and lip balm with you 24/7 as your skin and lips get extremely dry. I use cetaphil lotion everyday on my face and elbows so i don't get that "flakey dryness" look. All in all amazing product bad side effects i.e, abdominal pains, headaches, nose bleeds, blurred vision and depression "

Mattthecatguy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I experienced most of the side effects that my dermatologist told me about, primarily the dry skin portion. I was instructed to avoid chlorine, avoid direct sun light w/o sunscreen, and other things. The dry skin was really the only really not fun part, it was almost like eczema. I had large patches on my arms, and primarily at the corners of my mouth that were extremely painful when cracked. The doctor did recommend some facial moisturizers (Cerave), cleansers(Cerave), and lip balm(Aquaphor) to help in the healing process, which I still use today :) I was extremely pleased with my results and occasionally had zits after the use but nothing compared to the initial skin. My skin also recovered great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I have been on accuntane for just over 2 months so far, starting on 20mg a day, second month 40mg a day and going into my third month of 60mg. My skin is the worst it has ever been! I take comfort in the countless reviews that this medication does work and one day I will have clear skin! It's a small price to pay for a few months of hell to be acne free after years of putting up with it! The only plus side is the oily skin I used to suffer with is a distant memory! Dry lips are a slight pain although it's manageable, lipsticks stays on for a total of ten minutes. Dry skin and dry hair slightly also, the hardest part for me to cope with is the horrific breakout, however I'm assured that this is normal. Fingers crossed it works."

Anonymous December 4, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I honestly struggled with acne all my life . I was wearing foundation in like 6th grade because of how bad my face was . I would always be jealous of the girl that could wake up an walk out an still look good . My confidence without makeup Is very low . But I have to say I e been on this a few months now an today was the first day in my life I've went out without my foundation on just my bare skin . Yes I have like two lil pimples but I'm so proud of myself for accomplishing this . I couldn't be any happier . This is all I ever wanted was to still feel that I looked good without the pounds of makeup I used to cover up my face an every little pimple . This stuff is life changing . I recommend it to anyone ."

Brittany Niki December 2, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I tried so many acne medications, but none of them did the job as well as Accutane. It's been about 6 months since I finished my cycle and I haven't had a problem with acne since. I had bad cystic acne that I hated and it made me never want to go out or do anything for fear of people seeing how bad my face was. Initially I was scared of using the medication because of all the side effects, but they were really not bad and I survived it with barely any issues except the dry skin. Your acne will get a bit worse before it gets better so be patient and stick with it."

Gbreezy December 1, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Oh, thank you, God! I am now a 48 year old female, and I developed acne at 13 years old. Absolutely nothing worked for my acne or my TREMENDOUSLY oily skin. My life was very different from other kids' lives that had normal skin. I started Accutane at 20, and I've had to repeat the medication about every 13 years. I strongly recommend Accutane, 6 months on 40 mg, and am very happy with my results. Good luck to everyone!"

Deanie68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "within the first two months on acutane my acne got much much worse but after that it got much bettter although it did leave behind many scars due to the severity of my acne because of the medicine in the first two months ... if I knew this would happen I would've just let my acne play out without the acutane"

Jag_masta November 27, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Accutane saved my life. I struggled with acne since I was in grade 6. I was so hesitant for taking this drug for many years, always scared because I struggle with bad depression. I took 20mg (5'2/f/118 lbs) and that was good enough. It didnt affect my depression whatsoever. I also struggled with eating disorders so was paranoid of gaining weight. I lost weight and ran a half marathon on this drug. Don't let the forums trick you, although everyone is different. When I came off the accutane my skin broke out in AWFUL oil. It went away after a month. Other than that my skin is now pretty perfect, I miss being on it everyday to be honest. It makes your skin flawless."

misscxxoxoxo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I like everyone suffered from acne for the longest time. My face was so gross it hindered my self confidence and faith in myself. Like everyone, I tried a million creams and pills and washes, none worked, and a lot made my acne worse. Acutane is the nuclear option. It cuts off all moisture to your face, and your face basically presses the reset button and figures out that sending all that oil isn't a good idea. Of course, that means your lips are chapped, your face is dry, and you'll probably get nosebleeds. To me, that was more than worth it. If you think there are other routes to stop your face from looking like a pizza, try those, but if you've tried everything and are ready to nuke your face and try again, acutane worked."

Iron Greek (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Daughter age 15 took overdose of accutane in attempted suicide. Treated in emergency room and admitted to children's psychiatric hospital for one month. Treated by psychiatrists into young adulthood. There was no definitive linkage made and no investigation to find one. This took place in early 90s and the risk of depression and suicide might not have been well known. Anyone using this drug should be extremely vigilant, especially if patient is a teenager.."

Youngest56789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I'm just finished my second month on Accutane and I have never been happier about my skin! I have tried topical creams and antibiotics which did not help at all. When my dermatologist prescribed Accutane for my severe acne, I was doubtful after being prescribed unhelpful drugs. But I was wrong, and Accutane is working great for my skin. It's been a long struggle with acne and I am finally seeing results to clearer skin. The results you get from this medicine overpowers the side effects....trust me its worth it."

Zara1234 November 14, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I will tell you one thing, at 25 years I had thought I would have acne forever. My skins texture was horrible, blackheads, whiteheads, cysts at times that were very painful and worse..scars. I started taking 40 mg once a day, then alternating 60 mg, 40 mg and 60 mg between days. I noticed by the end of month three my breakout significantly declining. Then 80 mg a day. I can't tell you how shocked I was because and I know everyone says it but I really did truly try EVERYTHING under the sun for my acne. I wouldn't let anyone touch my face not even my mom. I changed my pillow case and used every oil free etc etc. End of month 5 and I NEVER have seen my skin so radiant! The side effects are worth it 500000x over!"

MVPaccutane (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I had struggled with moderate acne for 4 years. I tried every lotion and potion possible on prescription and every medicated facial wash available for acne prone skin. Nothing worked. Finally after a year of waiting for an appointment my dermatologist prescribed 30mg of isotretinoin (roaccutane). It has taken about 3 months to start to see an improvement and now almost 6 months in my skin is completely clear. It has really helped my self confidence. The good thing is my clear skin will be permanently clear and the dreaded acne will not return. Other than severely dry lips and quite a few nose bleeds (although not as many as I thought) my side effects have been minimal. Stick with it, it definitely works, you just have to be patient."

Oie October 20, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea "4 years, dozens of approaches. ONE solution. Accutane. You name it: Pulse Dye Laser, Metronidazole, Ivermectin, Mirvaso, Doxycycline...plus dozens of "I heard this works great" attempts. And then I got the guts to ignore the "don't try accutane" reviews and try it and it's been nothing short of a miracle from the heavens. Sure, I have a little chap lips while I am on my 6-month regimen but that's easily fixed with lip balms. But when this 6-months is over, I will be cured PERMANENTLY. Stop everything you're doing now and get Accutane. It's a life changer."

Tried Everything Available (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I have always had horrible acne as long as I can remember I had tried every product and nothing worked. I was put on accutane on September 2015 it got worse before it got better. After 4 months of being on accutane my skin was beautiful, and glowing not a single zit or scar. I was also cleaning my face day and night. I was so happy. In September 2016 my acne came back with a vengeance. But this time it's worse. I will be going back on accutane but if it doesn't work the 2nd time I have no idea what I'll do. For some people it's effective and lasts. But for me it didn't. Hopefully the acne goes away forever!! But in the mean time I'm using African black soap and its like accutane it gets worse before it gets better. Acne sucks!"

anonymous567 October 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I was on accutane for almost 2 months. About a month and a half in, my eyes started to bother me. They were incredibly dry and it constantly felt like I had an eyelash in them. They were burning like crazy and hurt to move. I was worried I had an infection, so I went to my eye doctor. They told me both of my optic nerves were swollen and referred me to a neuro opthamologist. I was immediately taken off accutane. It has been a couple weeks since I stopped the medication and my eyes have finally stopped bothering me. If I had continued the medication, I could've had permanent eye damage. The scariest side effects may be rare, and this drug may be a "holy grail" for stubborn acne, but is clear skin really worth going blind, etc?"

laneyadele (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I was depressed by my acne but was hesitant to try Accutane because I feared the side effects. After months of researching reviews and testimonies I finally decided to try it. I never write reviews but I want to share my story because accutane worked for me. It changed my life and self-esteem. I experienced very little side effects while taking it. My acne did get worse before it got better, but I've been off accutane for almost two years and my skin has stayed clear. I had hoped to come across a review like this while I was researching the drug, and I hope this is reassuring to people who need it."

Anna West October 3, 2016

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "not worth it"

Anonymous September 22, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I actually miss taking Accutane. I finally decided to take it after years of bad cystic acne and nothing else working. It took about a month to start working but I was only on 20mg a day. It was a Godsend. Despite being on such a low dose of it (I think the average is 40mg a day), accutane worked wonders. The only side effects I had were dry lips and dry skin, both of which were worse in the winter (Thanks Chicago). Since going off it, I get little pimples again and my oily skin and hair came back. I wish I was still on Accutane because it was nice not having oily skin lol."

AccutaneWasGreat September 12, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "I will just say, I had a horrible acne.. And it didn't make it any better that I was super sensitive to fake hormones; birth control. I couldn't and still can't take it because I have a rare side effect to it that causes cystic acne.. I didn't figure this out until after the damage was done, unfortunately.. I was extremely desperate, because I tried everything known to mankind before birth control. I even tried 4 different antibiotics and only one worked, but I ended up relapsing before my year time frame was up. I was in a huge and not to mention horrible, predicament.. So, my last resort being Accutane- was the best decision I ever made. The only thing I will harshly complain about is around the fifth month I started having hair thinning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "It took me 15 years of horrible struggles with all types of acne. Cysts, whiteheads, blackheads - everything. My dermatologist had put me on antibiotics which never worked. I got depressed and didn't even want anyone to see my face and lost a lot of confidence. Acutane has been the only thing that clears my skin and even made me feel younger."

alija September 5, 2016