User Reviews for Accutane (Page 2)

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 443 reviews 504 medications

8.4
Summary of Accutane reviews 452 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "My Son started this medicine in September of 2016.. He just finished his lost dose last month and I am very please with results. It was a process but well worth it! I would highly recommend other teens take the medicine. His acne was very very bad. But NOT anymore!"

Ms.Douglas April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My face was horrendous before I used (ro)Accutane, to the point I couldn't see out of my left eye due to the level of spots/boils I had swelling up and becoming one. I noticed a difference on Accutane after a month or so, but the real improvements start after approximately 2 months depending on how bad you have it (mine was really bad and aggressive). I would definitely recommend reading the book of side effects you are given, I am "lucky" as I only really suffered with depression, which as most of us know you do so if you have acne anyway. One recommendation is not going in direct sun light until a month or so after finishing the treatment, and finding a very good face and lip moisturiser and these 2 parts will become very very dry!"

UKmale April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "These will mess you up. I stopped after a round of treatment because my life was falling apart around me, I couldn't get up out of bed and was severely depressed and agoraphobic. Years after taking them, I still don't feel myself and wish I had never taken these."

Hijinks April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Currently on accutane 40mg and just completed a little over three weeks. Feeling confident that it will get better the more I progress, but unfortunately having some pretty annoying side effects in the process. Accutane has made my roots dry (which is kinda good because I don't need to wash as often) but led me to have dandruff. I also get nosebleeds and currently experiencing worst blackhead breakouts I've ever had on my nose, cheeks, forehead and chin. Before accutane blackheads is what I had the least of and now they are taking over. I started this because back acne and as of right now I see no improvement which is fine because it's been a short while. I can't wait till I reach the end of this road already though."

NicoleeeXx March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I have had bad Cystic acne since middle school, When I was 15 in 2009 my Dermo put me on accutane, Loved! About 6 years later my acne has retuned with a vengance. I tried other medications these past two years and nothing worked. So i dicided to do another round of Accutane. I started March first 2017 and 30 days later my face is about half way clear already! I just a moisturized didnt wor so i use a combination of coconut oil before bed, and then cle patra oil in the morning. The flakeness of my face is ver minimal now. Super dry lips, using vasline every 2 hours helps! Other than that no cpmplaints. LOVE THIS DRUG!"

NomoreJosieGrosie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I haves struggled with acne since high school. I admit, it wasn't as severe as other cases. I occasionally had cysts, which I would cover with bandaids because I was too embarrassed. Over the years, my skin has been more clear but it's never really gone away. I'm currently in my sixth month of accutane. I think at this point, I was expecting more of a drastic change but haven't noticed a huge difference... yet. It's starting to kick in now though. The only side effects I have encountered are the dry lips, and the sweaty upper lip and eyebrows. The hardest part was the short time frame between lab work and getting the pills. More expensive than we anticipated, just in trying to order it. Stressful, but overall, better results than before."

Yelah (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had very bad back and butt acne for 14 years.I have always put off taking accutane as I heard of the horrible side effects. I went to the doctor for a bad spot of acne that needed to be cut open. He said I have to go on accutane and explained the side effects. Lets do it cause I can't carry on like this any more.The pain ,the bleeding and the fact I haven't taken my shirt off in public for 14 years. I was very worried about taking it. Started in December 2016. I've been on it for 4 months already and its made a huge difference to my back and butt. My butt is taking a bit longer and that was explained to me before taking it. I have had very little break out on my back and its almost cleared. thou I have dry skin and very dry lips so far but worth it."

Calvinaccutane March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I used this in High School back in 2003 and I haven't suffered more then a zit on my face a year."

STP_David (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I suffered from mild/persistent acne, which only got worse when I started college due to the anxiety and stress. The break outs become more frequent as the years went by, so I decided to see a dermatologist. I was first prescribed a treatment of facial cleansers, which worked for awhile, but my acne eventually came back. Then my dermatologist decided to put me on on Claravis (accutane). The first 2 months were hell, due to the extremely dry/sensitive skin. I suffered cuts daily and shaving became torture, I almost quit on the treatment. However, I turned a corner around the start of month 3 and haven't looked back. My treatment lasted 5 months, and since ending it in October 2016 my skin has been completely clear."

Sean O (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I inherited cystic acne from my father. He had severe cystic acne and was prescribed it immediately after it was approved by the FDA. It was amazing, it cleared his acne completely, but the side affects were pretty significant. I developed cystic acne as a teenager, and it never let up. I wanted to take Accutane, but being a woman, doctors were hesitant because of the birth defects it caused. I pursued it and finally found a doctor willing to prescribe it, but I had to be on birth control and be monitored. I was in my early twenties. I experienced severe skin dryness, headaches, and some minor hair loss. It was pretty uncomfortable, but I don't regret it at all. It was like a decade of bad skin was wiped out with one four month treatment."

FinallyZitFree February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Overall I used the drug for 10 months. In 3/2016 my doctor tried me on a low dose for my weight which was 40 mg and I only lasted for 3 weeks. The drug made gave me anger management issues. More alarming was by the end of the 3 weeks I was depressed - life wasn't worth it. It took several days after I stopped it for that to go away. The drug made me very paranoid. I took myself off of it & then went back on Accutane 10 mg in June & worked up to 60 mg by January. I stayed on it another month on 40 mg before ending the drug. Accutane helped my acne significantly but I bled when I pooped, had trouble with BM, slept excessively, threw up constantly, was paranoid & angry. Not sure it was worth it."

Emmy1991 February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Today is my first day of taking Accutane, and the reviewed shared in this blog actually helps and i'm looking forward in completing my 6 months treatment and getting good results.I will update you guys in 2 weeks time..."

NickyB15 February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My son had severe acne. We tried every prescription and non-prescription topical cream and also the oral medications, minocycline and doxycycline. Nothing worked and he was struggling for 2 years with self esteem crushing acne all over his face. I was hesitant to have him try Accutane because of all the side effects but I'm so glad we decided to have him try it. He started at 40 mg the first month and then switched to 80 mg for 5 months. His face is completely clear. I call this a miracle drug. It's not for everyone and please realize there are some serious side effects for some people. My son mainly just had chapped lips and some peeling skin but nothing that wasn't manageable with moisturizer and chap stick"

Tnt3 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Very good results, although I had terribly dry, red skin, face moisturizer really helped! the medicine done its job & I only took about 5 months of accutane which left me with clear skin. I get a clogged pore or a small pimple every now and then but over all, great medicine! Really does wonders"

jessygirl122 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I took 60 mg of accutane for almost 6 months and I had moderate to severe acne. Did help my acne tremendously and though once in a while I still get a little pimple here and there, it is not to the severity of before taking the medication. However the side effect was brutal: very dry skin, nosebleed , and a lot of hair shedding. I say the hair shedding was the worst side effect of the medication because I was shedding hair during the medication and even after I stop taking accutane, I developed telogen effluvium which cause more shedding for three more months. Eventually the shedding stop and everything went back to normal. Yes this medication is effective for treating acne but be cautious of side effect."

Tr0y February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've had acne for about 8 years. Last year it suddenly deteriorated into severe nodular cystic acne. I started Accutane in September 2016, I'm nearly finished my sixth month and I still have the same nodules and cysts that I had at beginning of the treatment, I'm still breaking out the same as before. Accutane is effective for 96% of people whilst they're on it, so I'm not bashing Accutane, it's an amazing drug for the majority of people. I'm obviously an exception and I'm devastated."

Doomed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "​Hello everyone, I'm your typical 18 year old lad and have never written on a forum before but I want to write something for the people that are worried about taking this (in my opinion) miracle drug. I am coming to the end of my 6 month course and I can honestly say it's been life changing. Before I started Roaccutane, I was fairly depressed and seriously lacking confidence due to my appearance. But after months of failed treatments on various antibiotics, I was referred to a dermatologist who instantly said there's only one way to fix my acne problem, Roaccutane. At first I thought this is the worst case scenario and I'm going to be even more depressed as a result of the possible mental health side affects. Depression has run in my family so I was very worried. However, living like with acne wasn't something I was prepared to do, so I started the course on 40mg a day. The first week I had a headache daily, but thankfully these die off after a week and paracetamol and ibuprofen will take all the pain away. Almost immediately, my lips were cracking and from then on in, I never went anywhere without some Carmex lip balm in my pocket. As the first 3 months went by, I was still breaking out and was starting to think it isn't going to work. However, I'm so glad I stuck with it because now I haven't got a single spot of my face and the scars have faded to the point where you can barely see them! After the third month, my derm upped my dose and I started to take 60mg a day. Luckily for me I hadn't had any serious side affects. Just your occasional nose bleed and dry skin, and sometimes my eyes were a bit blurry but it's not much of an issue. Anyway, I just want anyone reading this that is worried about starting this medication, that not everyone has a horror story about Roaccutane and I couldn't be happier at how it's made me feel!! Don't let acne take over your life!:)"

braaad1998 January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I recommend a lower dose of 40 mg if your acne is not that bad. I started out at 20 mg the first month, then 30 mg the second month, and 40 mg for months 3-6. I never had any nose bleeds. I was tired some times, joint pain, stiffness of hips, forgetfulness (for example forgetting that I just took a shower and realizing my hair was wet and I didn't need to take one), possible depression although I was bit irate at times before the taking the med. I did have a couple bad nightmares. I had chapped lips through like the whole time taking it. I had the bad habit of biting the skin off my lips.. The positive was no acne not too long after taking it.. although it did flare up a bit about a couple weeks in after taking it. Hair not oily. :)"

6 months of Isotretinoin (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've always had breakouts on my chin every month for the last 3 years so I tried this. I had a breakout on the 1st month of using this and it was the worse, good thing I don't have any school that time. But it healed faster when I steamed it and let all the cyst pop up. Although it left me a reddish chin that is really annoying. Im on my way to 2nd month and my face is 70% smooth. I can feel another breakout coming. How do I treat this redness on my face? Was it because of the steaming?"

wolf upper January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I struggled with such bad acne since I was in middle school. I tried almost every type of over the counter medicine that there was and none of it worked. During my Freshman year of high school, I decided that I needed a cure for my acne because of how terrible it was getting. I went to a dermatologist and he recommend Accutane for about 7 months. After about 3 months, I could not believe that my face was getting clearer! When I was finally done, my skin was clear! I was so excited!! I even recommend Accutane to one of my friends and her face turned out great as well. I took Accutane back in 2009 and I'm now 22 years old and my face still looks fantastic! I highly recommend Accutane to anyone who is struggling with acne, it works!"

Selenaaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I started getting bad acne in my sophomore year of high school and it got progressively worst. I was at the point of depression and anxiety didn't know what to do. I took proactiv and retin A but none of it helped. Finally when I was 19 I started using accutane and had to get blood samples every month because it was so potent. It worked like magic though and all the bad acne went away and never came back. I experienced no side effects and my face has been clear ever since."

Ant1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am from the UK. I started on 20mg a day and within 11 days my acne had completely cleared. My dosage was then upped to 40mg which caused facial eczema for 6 months (skin blistering etc) not helped by the fact I didn't change my skin care routine straight away. Products I recommend; Lips - Carmex lip balm (liquid) yellow and red tube and inexpensive. The solid lip balms didn't work. For bad 'lip' days I used Cortibalm, which I could only get from EBay Face - Cetaphil gentle skin cleaser followed by Cetaphil moisturising lotion. For bad eczema patches I used Bepanthen nappy rash ointment (the only product that worked) I now have perfect skin for the first time in 30 years."

Catherine_Co January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I had moderate acne since I was 11. It started on my forehead, and eventually got really bad on my lower cheeks and jawline. My acne and very oily skin was not getting any better through college. I tried numerous prescribed tropicals and antibiotic pills that would only make my skin red and flaky. I did hours of research on DIY holistic approaches, therapy, diet, birth control etc, I wonder how much accumulated time I wasted... I had heard about Accutane but was apprehensive from reading some of the side effects. But I thought it was my last hope. All I can say is, I wish I had done it sooner. The few side effects were nothing compared to the results and how I now feel about myself. The oiliness is not as bad as it used to be either!"

5 years acne-free and counting (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "This drug did clear up my acne. However, a couple weeks after finishing the 6 month treatment, I fell on an icy sidewalk and broke my leg in 6 places including a tibia spiral fracture. What the dermatologist didn't inform me was this drug can affect your bone density. A year after finishing this drug I'm still recovering from surgery for my leg and will most likely need another surgery. This also cost me my job. As a nurse, I highly discourage anyone to use this medication. The side effects are not worth it since there are so many other options out there for acne."

Grand Rapids, Michigan December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I am an adult male who had tried almost everything THREE dermatologists. Some antibiotics would work briefly, retin a pretty much burned my skin in a couple days and we had to stop, liquid nitrogen was sprayed on my face every few weeks.. you name it, they tried it. Then, my current derm (10 years now) put me on accutane when we first met. Three 20mg a day for 6 months. Yes, I had drying of my LIPS but no other major side effects and my acne stopped. Yes, we have had some flare ups and we use accutane briefly to stop them and they stay stopped for years. It is really the only medication that slams the door on my acne.. even if not forever."

Ryan Healey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016