User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"I switched to this pill from aubra as it made me break about and I got headaches from it. I've only been on it for a few days and I'm already stopping it at the end of the week. This pill makes my heart race and stomach pain/cramps. I just got off my period and it feels like I'm about to get it again. I get extremely nauseous every time I've taken it. The nausea is off and on all day, I feel either super constipated or like I have severe diarrhea. I've had cramps for days straight even tho I'm not on my period. One plus, my face hasn't broken out yet. Stopping this tonight actually."

No (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

"I used Yaz before this one and everything was great but when I went to a different doctor to get a prescription he told me that tri-cycle is better of the different levels of hormones in each pill and also because Yaz is known for high blood pressure. Anyway I have been using it for 5 months now and I hate it I did noticed that my period is longer and hurts more but my main concern was when and if I miss a pill (which happens) and I mean one I get my period right away! This time I got my period in a weeks time from the last one!!!! And I have been taking birth controls for 7 years and I never had problems with my period before always in a month a part."

Annoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

"Was on this pill for a year & went through hell. The only good thing is it kept me from getting pregnant, & I gained no weight. I started to get yeast infections, UTI's, long periods with the worst cramps, & had mood swings. All of these I have never experienced before & I’ve been on different birth controls for about 4 years, nothing else in my life had changed to cause any of that except for taking the pill. I later on started to develop a constant urge to urinate & do so frequently it affected my job, sleeping, & sanity. I went to doctors about it, antibiotics would not work because it wasn’t caused by a UTI. Did some research & found out many others had been suffering from the urination problem & it has all been linked to this pill! Since then I switched my birth control & my urination has significantly changed back to normal. I will never take this pill again nor recommend it. If you don’t want to get pregnant it’ll work, but totally not worth going through the side effects."

Anonymous April 12, 2018

"I was on this birth control for 2 years. My periods were nice, I gained a few pounds and my boobs got slightly bigger (which is nice because my boobs are an A cup). Overall this pill was very reliable, but it made me very angry all the time and very irritable. I have been off this pill now for 5 months and I feel better off the pill than I was on it."

PB (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2018

"My first pills I took were regular orthcyclen. I switched due to bleeding between cycles to another pill. They pill worked for awhile until I had more breakthrough bleeding a year in. They then switched me to this. I had no irregular bleeding. But over 6+ months me & my partner noticed a big change in my moods. I already struggle with depression and anxiety and it wasn't for 8 or so months that I had a full on mental breakdown unlike I have EVER had. I started thinking about it & I really have a low stress life at the moment so I looked for triggers. Then I thought about the fact that this is a TRI phasic pill which means constantly changing hormones from week to week. I feel like that hormonal swing could possibly be that trigger. Immediately set up an appointment and switched to a monophasic pill & my mood has changed tenfold. Not a good pill for people with already touchy mental health in my opinion."

Rab00 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2018

"So honestly, it isn't that bad for me... It helped with my acne, my boobs got bigger the first three months, and well.. I'm not pregnant. But honestly the erratic depression is too much to handle and I'm not a fan of taking a pill everyday so I'm going to switch to an IUD. I do get a lot of food cravings and I suspect that's why everyone posts about weight gain. Just be smarter than your cravings and work out more."

AllieBee March 6, 2018

"I’ve been using it for 7 months and I’ve had occasional spotting between periods. I've also gained A LOT of weight and my breasts grew as well. My skin has actually not broken out since I’ve started using it though. So far it’s been effective in preventing pregnancy, but I am on my last pack and I will probably try another brand."

Kimmywimmy January 27, 2018

"Pros: high sex drive, regular bleeding, little to no cramps, affordable. Cons: weight gain!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

"I love this birth control. It has worked well for me for three years. I've never had acne, and I still don't. Also, my weight is normal. However, my periods are just as painful as they've always been. I feel as though the birth control didn't affect me at all besides doing a great job at preventing pregnancy. I'm only switching because I would like to limit my periods to 4 times a year. But if the other birth control doesn't work out, I'll be back on this one."

Zuri4 December 15, 2017

"When I first started it I had terrible nausea and dizziness. I didn’t want to eat so much because of it so I lost a couple pounds. I stuck with it and after about 3 months it completely went away. It keeps my weight regulated, periods, helps my acne stay bare minimum or none at all. I recommend taking it daily with food because no food in your system can cause nausea."

Ilocecats2 December 13, 2017

"I switched from LoEstrin to this because that BC gave me terrible and painful acne mostly on my back and chest, to the point where I wouldn't wear anything deeper than a turtleneck. It also lowered my sex drive and caused dryness during sex lasting longer than 5 minutes. After about a month on Ortho my acne started to clear up and I now only have a teeny bit around the time of my period. I will say the very first week on this BC I had incredible mood swings and it really intensified my depression and anxiety but after the first week I had no problems. I'm not sure if this pill caused me to lose weight or if it was stress from school, either way in the past 3 months I've lost about 5 pounds. Wish it made my boobs grow though, oh well."

Annahh December 7, 2017

"Only lasted two weeks. Shortness of breath and irritated mood. Gives me panic attacks before bedtime. Makes me feel depressed and anxious. Throwing this garbage out tomorrow."

NP101 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

"I've been on this pill for 6 months now. My doctor prescribed this for me initially for my acne and to regulate my period. The first week gave me really terrible nausea, so it was difficult to eat during the first few days. I stuck with it and its been perfectly fine. My acne cleared up, I lost a couple pounds, my sex drive has increased, my cycle has been very regular and no more nausea."

happygoluckyonthepill (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

"I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for almost nine months. I had to switch from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo because my insurance no longer covered it but I had zero problems with that birth control. Within the first three months of Ortho Tri Cyclen, I didn't notice any significant changes, however, over the last six months I gained 9 pounds. My weight has been consistent for the last six years until I started this pill. Other than weight gain, I haven't had any major issues but I will be switching pills due to weight gain."

Carly22 September 21, 2017

"I took this from age 16 to 27, when I got married. Now I'm 36, and my husband and I have tried for 10 years and I can't get pregnant. My periods have been torture since I quit taking it. It is nothing unusual for me hurt so bad within the first 48 hours of starting my period, I wind up passing out on my cold tile floor naked in a puddle of sweat. I've spent a fortune trying to get pregnant, or at least find some reason behind the crippling effects of my period, which comes every 18 to 21 days. Maybe ortho isn't to blame, but I can't help but wonder if my inability to have a child is related in some way."

Aunt Brookie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2017

"First week seriously nauseous... dizzy. Stayed on it and stuck with it. Acne. Worse than I've ever had. Long periods and cramps. Basically enhanced everything I didn't want it to. I'd rather not be on anything. I've stuck with it for two years but I can't handle the long periods, acne, hairy chest, and major weight gain. Like 20 pound weight gain. I work out and can't loose anything. Terrible headaches. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone."

GabGabGabGab (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2017

"This pill caused hair loss and fatigue. I noticed the side effects by the middle of week one. By the end of week 2 you could see patches of missing hair. I stopped using it at the end of week 2."

ANKO July 15, 2017

"I started taking this pill over a year ago and nothing has changed hormonally for me. In the mornings if I don't eat at a certain time I do get nauseated and throw up but my cycle has always been on time and consistent. Maybe gained 10 pounds most but with exercise it helps. I have a very sensitive body and this is perfect for me. However it may not work for some people. Worst side effect I've had is not really sleeping might get five to six hours"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

"The right birth control is really dependent on the person. What didn't work for me might work for you. What happened with me is Tri-Cyclen gave me acne (never had a problem with acne before) and depression and anxiety. If you're feeling upset while on this pill I would go off it immediately. It took me a month off the pill before my skin went back to normal."

h23456 June 19, 2017

"I'm sad that I'm switching to another pill as I have been on Ortho tricyclen for so many years. No mood swings, no PMS, no depression, I feel the same every day. My complexion has never been so clear. Very light periods, no cramping."

Kloiber (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2017

"I love this birth control. Cleared up my acne, no mood swings, no weight gain, and light periods that happened like clock work!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

"I've been taking Tricyclen since I was 15 (I'm 18 now) solely for my heavy period. At first I was taking the 28, and it wasn't a high enough dosage (no idea how it works there) and I switched to 21. The heaviness stopped immediately. I never had any side effects, which was a plus. The only thing I have to say as a con is migraines. It just started recently, probably the last 6 months. Other than that, the medication is working! I recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of acne as well. I also used it for acne, and it disappeared within the month."

NotTricia_ April 7, 2017

"I had gotten diagnosed with PCOS haven't gotten a period in 6 months so, she thought that this can help regulate my cycle so, my provider decided to prescribe this BC to me and after taking it for a week and a half I have experienced breast tenderness, sore nipples and my breasts did grow a cup size. But I also experienced mild cramping like if I'm getting my period and headaches, nausea and no appetite. I would not think about taking this BC again cause I am starting to feel its not for me .. its works for some females not all .."

tawwy (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

"I was on Ortho TriCyclen as soon as I turned 18 and used it until my husband and I wanted to conceive a few years later. I went back on it after my daughter was born. It made my periods regular, they were basically clockwork which was awesome. I had no acne, mood swings, or break through bleeding."

Stake eye April 7, 2017

"I have been taking this birthcontrol since I was 15 (I am now 20), had terrible, terrible acne, bad periods and vicious mood swings prior to the medication. After I started taking it my acne disappeared with in 3 days, my periods were so much better. I notice if I stop taking it I gain a crazy amount of weight and my acne instantly comes back. My mood swings and depression may have gotten worse but it was due to other mental illness stuff. I have PCOS and this helps tremendously. I stopped taking it and took another one for a while and it made things so much worse. I had to go back on this one to have regular periods and feel okay. The first week after the sugar pills are literal hell sometimes, mimics pregnancy to a T but it gets better."

Kaeline April 4, 2017