User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"I wrote my expirence with this pill before, back when I started and it actually worked. I've been on it for 6 months now and let me tell you, i'm already going to the doctor to switch. Sure, no babies. That part was effective. But eventually, I ended up having cramps again (they had gone away when i first started) my acne flared up like nobody's buisness, my headaches are horrible and daily, and i've been suffering from depression. I never have any motivation, i burst out crying for no reasons, and I get angry out of no where. This is very out of character for me. I'm disapointed but hopefully I will find a better option."

ava332 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2016

"Worst ever. Mood swings. Depressed. Doesn't feel like I get enough sleep. I get angry then sad for no real reason. I am also noticing an increase in appetite, break outs, no energy. This is the most horrible bc because one is not going to be able to function to lead a normal life. I'm so disappointed that it has cause irregular bleeding. "

Cher1230987 August 30, 2016

"I was on tri- lo in high school and I was fine with it but my life now is so miserable. I am always depressed and everytime I eat I just feel sick to my stomach. I have no motavation to get up in the morning and I'm always tired no matter how many hours I sleep, I have headaches like nobody's business. I highly recommend talking to your doctor before getting on this ."

Cljs0019 August 19, 2016

"Breakthrough bleeding, two periods in one month, weight gain, horrible lower back pain and cramping and terrible acne! Not moody at all but all the above a good reason to find something else"

News for you August 1, 2016

"Been on the pill (specifically this pill) since I was 15 and now I am 28. I am more than hapoy with the pill. I have never had issues with weight gain (unless I am hogging into a box of cookies), no acne, mood swings, and no pregnancy scares. Extremely predictable periods that are super minor 1 heavy day and light-regular for the other 3 days-4 day period and done. Best thing I have ever done. Period. I recommend it for sure, but obviously it won't be the same for everyone."

ShanCus July 15, 2016

"I've only been on this birth control for about 12 days and it is the worst experience I've come across. I thought the depo shot was bad, but I am already experiencing depression, nausea, headaches, and insomnia. I got on this bc to clear up my acne and it may be to soon to tell how it really works, but based on the side effects I'm already experiencing I do not think I will continue suffering. It's too much letting this bc control all my emotions. I do not recommend it, but every female is different so it may be great for the next person."

Meekayla (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

"I was put on this BC because my periods were incredibly long, 25 days. I didn't gain weight, but I noticed on it I felt hungry all the time and had cravings for fatty foods. But I have charlie horses no matter how many banana's I eat or water I drink (And I eat a banana every day and drink about 100oz of water a day). The mood swings are terrible. I never want to do anything, I have no motivation, getting out of bed is a challenge, the bouts of crying. I'm irritable all the time. I'm frustrated about everything. I go to the doctor next week and asking to be switched to something else. Also my periods are horrible still after 3 months Ultra tampons every hour and horrible pains in abdomen."

Mish9489 June 30, 2016

"I've been on this birth control for 3 months. It's making me crazy. My periods have been 10x worse than they were before I got on the pill and they were bad! I stay home from school every time I'm on it because I can't handle them and I get horrible headaches while I'm on my period. My acne has been getting a bit worse but I hear it gets better after 3 months? I am going to stick with it for another month and see how it goes but let's just say it's hell right now."

Lina2345678 June 23, 2016

"I was on tricyclen for 1 year and it was a definite 10 for the time being, no babies... However, around the 10th month I started to feel like Something wasn't right.. I was getting harsh pains in my arms and legs daily, Id get stabbing chest pains and sometimes weird feelings and sometimes stabbing, excruciating pains in my uterus.. Not to mention the intense mood swings and random crying and anger all the time.. My head always felt like it had pressure in it, or like someone was stabbing my brain with an ice pick. If you don't want a baby, this is the Birth Control for you, however be aware of the f'd up side effects! I quit taking it 2 weeks ago and feel almost back to normal but still haven't seen a doctor"

A birth control expert (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2016

"I was 24 this was my first birth control.My weight initially fluctuate from 115lb to 120 but never more. On this birth control for 1 year i had notice increase in appetite.Breast size increase from a Small B been like that forever to a full C.Weight increased to 145lb In 1 year.Skin was slightly clearer but has occasional breakout on chin meaning hormonal imbalance.Asked my NP to switch me to a lower hormone BCP because of weight gain she says it's might be my diet that has to change but I insisted. She change me to nuva ring. Tried it for 6 months convinent but gained more weight up to 151lb. I'm getting off these hormone birth control they are increasing my appetite. Unmotivational mood I'm changing to Paraguard IUD no hormone."

Lh24 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

"I was prescribed this as my first ever birth control, because I had horrible 14 day long periods. It got to the point where i'd end up dizzy & hyperventilating. So my doc gave me this, so far everything has been normal except my boobs don't feel the same. I've only been on the pill for about three weeks but my bras are all too tight now and the girls feel super heavy. Coming from a 16 year old who's had B cup for a while, this was a surprise. I haven't had any mood swings out of the regular and my acne is nonexistent."

Ash334 April 22, 2016

"This birth control had given me side effects from the start, moodiness, weight gain( ten pounds), headaches, nausea, it did clear my skin which is what I went on it for however 8 months into taking it I was admitted into the hospital with bi lateral blood clots in my lungs. I understand this may just be specific to my case but just because it is a lo estrogen birthcontrol does not mean clots can not happen. Please be aware and if risk of clotting runs in your family or you are at all concerned please talk with your doctor before you take this pill."

Kathleen Rivera March 28, 2016

"Only been 3 months on the Lo but I've definitely seen some changes. Yes it has allowed me to be more regular in my cycle and my cramps are lessened+flow is lighter, which is what I originally had asked for from my first bc and what I received and why I gave a 6/10. However, the side effects are so rough :/ I'm already an emotional trainwreck of a teenager with psychotic depression bpd and avpd and this bc seems to put all my emotions in a bottle of soda and shake until I break down. In addition, I've had a a much larger appetite since starting and have gained 20 pounds since I began taking it, and I've had a lot more migraines and dizzy spells (I'm a mess). Overall, I don't really like, and will most likely switch to a new bc asap"

DisappointmentUser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"Well I had a terrible experience on this birthcontrol. I won't say it's a terrible birth control because I know everyone is different. But starting off I experienced mild nausea and mood swings. I was much more snippy then usual and irritable. After the first week I started getting a few deep cystic pimples, one along my jaw and another on my chin. The worst part was my first menstrual cycle, it was excruciating strong cramps like someone stabbed me, radiating to my legs and stomach. I couldn't walk. LARGE clots, I ran thru super plus tampons every hour. I became so anemic I was advised to go to the ER by my PCP. But over all, I didn't get pregnant? Wasn't worth it to me. I stopped after two months I couldn't adjust to this pill."

Heathercheddar March 22, 2016

"Just some of my background so some of you can relate: I'm 115lbs, 23 years old, in my third month of taking Try Cyclen which is the first BC I ever went on. So far thank God no pregnancies, although increased amount of discharge and I got a vaginal infection which I never had before and that was strange. At first I gained weight and my breasts went up a size which was great but now I'm back to loosing a lot of weight. Yes mood swings have increased but I was always emotional and thought of myself as someone with depression lol so you guys really have to be careful about what is really considered to be called depression. Periods have stayed the same, just a little bit more regulated which is also a plus. So far no drastic changes."

lingling922 March 15, 2016

"Definitely does its job. light and manageable periods that last 5-6 days. skin has never been so clear. About 4 pounds of weight gain which is no problem. But, I am MOODY. I have always been a happy person and this pill causes you to snap easily and cry easily. Still rating a 10 because it does its job and other than mood swings I have no complaints"

nichole26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2016

"Protected against pregnancy but horrible side effects. Crying for no reason, migraines and temporary blindness!"

Gggggggggggg February 24, 2016

"This was the first brand of oral birth control I tried. Within an hour of taking it, I experienced awful pains in my uterus and spine. It was my normal period pains x100. I also became so nauseous and sick because of it that I had to take time out."

Kam180 February 19, 2016

"I am 25 years old and have been taking this for over 2 years now. 2 years ago I was 145 lbs and now I am 165 and miserable. My husband and I have been dieting and exercising for the past year and half and I have only gained weight, never lost. I finally went to my doctor with the following symptoms: tired all the time even with 10 hours of sleep, mood swing (which effect my relationship), depression, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight, bad skin. All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. Well I get my thyroid tested this past week and its normal. I read these reviews and bam! I am getting off this immediately and I am really upset I did not read these sooner."

Stefanie423 February 18, 2016

"I was hospitalized within the first 3 weeks of taking Tricyclen as I had a severe side effect. It created excess spinal fluid in my body causing pressure on my brain. This required two lumbar punctures to help drain my spinal fluid following by a week of being bedridden. Please please please talk to your doctor before taking this. I have never had a problem like this with BC before until I got put on Tricyclen and threw the rest of them out."

JamieG1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

"I am 18 and have been on tri-cyclen since I was 16. The first 3 months of taking the pill were rough, I was always tired, gained a little weight, and had mood swings. HOWEVER, as it says on the pill pack instructions and through personal experience, as you continue to take it, all of the symptoms go away. I am back to my normal weight (I am 5'2" 108 pounds), not tired anymore, have 100% clear skin, and extremely short, painless periods. I have even forgot to take a pill and it never failed to work, making these great for girls who are just starting birth control. These are low dose so weight gain is NOT a symptom!!! Most of the negative reviews are from women (who are advised not to take oral contraceptives, 35 years old)"

Lynn23997 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2016

"I first went on this pill when I was 20 years old. Everything seemed to be fine. Periods were lighter, no mood swings, no weight gain. Acne was so so. Skip ahead 2 years later and went on a trip and forgot to bring my birth control with me because I had my period at the time and the days just evaded me. So I waited until my next period to take it again. Once I got back on it, I had intense mood swings for no reason and tremendous weight gain that keeps continuing. I gained 30 pounds in 6 months since getting back on the pill. My eating habits haven't changed and I've actually been more active but pounds keep coming. It definitely effects sex drive because the month I was off it was high and then went low again after."

Meli57754 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

"I'm only three months into this pill, but so far it has been nothing but good for me. I do get headaches, but they do not interfere with my daily activites so I don't mind. I've also had some breakouts but normally near my period, which is usual for me even off the pill. No weight gain yet, normal moods, I haven't missed a pill yet. My first period was really browny and black in the beginning and a light orange at the end. I'm not sure if that is normal, but who knows. Also, some vaginal discharge but not enough to bug me. Overall, its working great!"

ABROOK102O0E December 24, 2015

"I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 3/4 months now and the biggest positive for me was that it cleared my hormonal chin acne. Lately I've really felt the mood swings though, I'm usually a very happy person but lately I've been feeling very blah and I feel like I can't concentrate. Sex drive is also a little blah. Weight is about the same too."

Mrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I rated this birth control a 10, ONLY because I have not gotten pregnant and my face is always clear. Unfortunately I gained 26 pounds (I was 100lb when I first started, but not complaining) I had major mood swings, I cried at anything and everything, it gave me depression, I had irrational thoughts (totally not the kind of person I am) and also recurring yeast infections along with a very LOW sex drive. Very effective as a contraceptive, but avoid this pill if you have a history with depression."

SmellyCat96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015