User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"First week seriously nauseous... dizzy. Stayed on it and stuck with it. Acne. Worse than I've ever had. Long periods and cramps. Basically enhanced everything I didn't want it to. I'd rather not be on anything. I've stuck with it for two years but I can't handle the long periods, acne, hairy chest, and major weight gain. Like 20 pound weight gain. I work out and can't loose anything. Terrible headaches. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone."

GabGabGabGab (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill caused hair loss and fatigue. I noticed the side effects by the middle of week one. By the end of week 2 you could see patches of missing hair. I stopped using it at the end of week 2."

ANKO July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this pill over a year ago and nothing has changed hormonally for me. In the mornings if I don't eat at a certain time I do get nauseated and throw up but my cycle has always been on time and consistent. Maybe gained 10 pounds most but with exercise it helps. I have a very sensitive body and this is perfect for me. However it may not work for some people. Worst side effect I've had is not really sleeping might get five to six hours"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The right birth control is really dependent on the person. What didn't work for me might work for you. What happened with me is Tri-Cyclen gave me acne (never had a problem with acne before) and depression and anxiety. If you're feeling upset while on this pill I would go off it immediately. It took me a month off the pill before my skin went back to normal."

h23456 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm sad that I'm switching to another pill as I have been on Ortho tricyclen for so many years. No mood swings, no PMS, no depression, I feel the same every day. My complexion has never been so clear. Very light periods, no cramping."

Kloiber (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this birth control. Cleared up my acne, no mood swings, no weight gain, and light periods that happened like clock work!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Tricyclen since I was 15 (I'm 18 now) solely for my heavy period. At first I was taking the 28, and it wasn't a high enough dosage (no idea how it works there) and I switched to 21. The heaviness stopped immediately. I never had any side effects, which was a plus. The only thing I have to say as a con is migraines. It just started recently, probably the last 6 months. Other than that, the medication is working! I recommend to anyone who wants to get rid of acne as well. I also used it for acne, and it disappeared within the month."

NotTricia_ April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had gotten diagnosed with PCOS haven't gotten a period in 6 months so, she thought that this can help regulate my cycle so, my provider decided to prescribe this BC to me and after taking it for a week and a half I have experienced breast tenderness, sore nipples and my breasts did grow a cup size. But I also experienced mild cramping like if I'm getting my period and headaches, nausea and no appetite. I would not think about taking this BC again cause I am starting to feel its not for me .. its works for some females not all .."

tawwy (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Ortho TriCyclen as soon as I turned 18 and used it until my husband and I wanted to conceive a few years later. I went back on it after my daughter was born. It made my periods regular, they were basically clockwork which was awesome. I had no acne, mood swings, or break through bleeding."

Stake eye April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this birthcontrol since I was 15 (I am now 20), had terrible, terrible acne, bad periods and vicious mood swings prior to the medication. After I started taking it my acne disappeared with in 3 days, my periods were so much better. I notice if I stop taking it I gain a crazy amount of weight and my acne instantly comes back. My mood swings and depression may have gotten worse but it was due to other mental illness stuff. I have PCOS and this helps tremendously. I stopped taking it and took another one for a while and it made things so much worse. I had to go back on this one to have regular periods and feel okay. The first week after the sugar pills are literal hell sometimes, mimics pregnancy to a T but it gets better."

Kaeline April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, I've never missed a pill and I still got pregnant so... clearly not super effective."

kb1115 March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this contraceptive at 16 to control my acne and it did a great job. I had no problems, I did experience a lack of hunger it was kinda weird but it didn't effect my life. I just had to make myself eat. Now that I am 18 I have no side effects at all . I haven't really put it to the test in preventing pregnancy but I'm not pregnant and haven't been so that's also a plus."

MLB.km March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a happy person and never had depression or anxiety in all my life until I got on this BC. I started getting sad, then the sadness started to feel like depression... almost debilitating... then anxiety started to kick in. I thought maybe I should give it a little more time because my body was adjusting, but the last straw was 7 months into taking it, I started getting suicidal and PSYCHOTIC thoughts at a family party!! I was freaking out and it felt like I had voices in my head! I have a friend who loves this BC, but unfortunately it did not work for me :(. BC is really a trial and error and different for everyone. This is the only BC that has made me CRAZYYYY! I had a better experience with Nuva Ring and Lomedia 24Fe."

Miss1234 March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this has not been good so far. I previously lost almost 40 lbs before starting this birth control and have gained 20 lbs since i starting taking Trycyclen. I'm very active and eat very healthy, also my acne has come back in full affect. Not impressed, getting my doctor to switch me immediately"

clairissa February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced mood swings and anxiety due to this prescription ... would not recommend."

Anonymous February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Omg every review is terrible. I've been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 2 years now absolutely nothing in my life has change. I went to obgyn today and I told her that perhaps I should change my pill, just because.. to try something new, she has giving me a refill for Junel? But I am reading awful reviews. But Ortho Tri-Cyclen Has terrible reviews too from everyone, I am surprised I haven't have ANY NEGATIVE side effects.."

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Good for me January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first week was fine then after that I started getting headaches then comes the nausea in the morning and then I throw up non stop with all that I get diarrhea and dizzyness, lack of energy and appetite I stayed in bed all day today its horrible the worst I ever took"

Kbee1 January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking ortho primarily to help regulate my periods, which are both very irregular and heavy. I typically don't have very severe cramps, so I can't comment on that. However, about a month into taking this, I started experiencing extreme nausea and about weekly vomiting. At the time, I was dealing with a ton of stress/anxiety, so I partially attribute my illness to that. The nausea/vomiting was severe, seemingly random (but commonly occurred at night/early morning), leaving me not wanting to do anything/go out, feeling constantly tired & run down, and with no appetite whatsoever as the thought of food made me ill. About 3.5 months later, I stopped taking ortho and I haven't vomited since. Just be careful in trying different BCs."

rmex January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pros: clearer skin, no hair loss (happened to me on another pill) minimal bloating, no break through bleeding, no tiredness, no irritability, no breat tenderness and most importantly no pregnancy Cons: headaches from time to time, slightly decreased sex drive and slightly increased food cravings"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"MAJOR hair loss, anxiety, insomnia, weight gain, panic attacks AND large dark spot on forehead (melasma) Please stay away from this birth control! In the past, I use to have extremely horrific periods, vomiting and horrible cramps. I started this birth control to help with this and for a while everything seemed great, my periods were normal and the debilitating cramps went away. I thought all was well. After about 3 years or so I started noticing hair breakage? Also, I noticed an odd freckle on my forehead. I had asked a nurse and she said it was a sun spot (I was 29 at the time). The %u201Cfreckle%u201D grew larger and larger until it covered most of my forehead!!!! I had to go to 2 doctors to find out what was wrong with me. Stay away!"

Curly L0cks December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this birth control after I had been on a progesterone only pill which made my usually clear skin break out horribly. Once I started taking this pill my skin cleared up. My periods are shorter and my cramps less severe. I have had weight gain but that's more due to my lack of exercise and being in college. I sometimes get headaches during the placebo pill days but those are easily combated by advil."

Emily74 December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely loved OrthoTriCyclen! I was always irregular and had very bad mood swings, cramps, headaches, and nausea associated with PMS and my period. The first couple of months, I experienced occasional nausea and dizziness but that's to be expected when starting a new hormonal treatment. My periods shortened to four days instead of six or seven and I was able to pinpoint my periods each month while on the pill. I stopped taking it for a few years but I'm getting ready to get back on it this next week and I'm looking forward to it! After I stopped taking it, however, my periods became irregular again after a few months of discontinuing the pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hey everyone, I usually never write reviews but here it goes.. I've been taking this BC pill for about two years now, I've never experienced depression ,aniexty or mood swings. I haven't had a pregnancy scare or anything to be so worried about. I never seemed to have a problem remembering to take my pill cause I have an alarm on my phone. Weight gain which I'm not sure but I don't think birth control took a big toll on it. Being that I'm in college and in love I think I had to be a blame for my own weight gain lol. But overall it's a great BC to take .. my only thing is will it truly effect my body once me and my fiancé are ready for kids or not."

Bell 101 October 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I did not experience any weight gain, acne or physical side effects, and the birth control did do its job (prevent pregnancy). I was however vey emotionally effected by this pill. I was not depressed, but incredibly over emotional. I normally never cry and keep most things to my self, but cried every single day while taking this pill. Ultimately changed to another BC because after 6 months, it did not go away."

JAMK October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wrote my expirence with this pill before, back when I started and it actually worked. I've been on it for 6 months now and let me tell you, i'm already going to the doctor to switch. Sure, no babies. That part was effective. But eventually, I ended up having cramps again (they had gone away when i first started) my acne flared up like nobody's buisness, my headaches are horrible and daily, and i've been suffering from depression. I never have any motivation, i burst out crying for no reasons, and I get angry out of no where. This is very out of character for me. I'm disapointed but hopefully I will find a better option."

ava332 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2016