User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"Omg every review is terrible. I've been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 2 years now absolutely nothing in my life has change. I went to obgyn today and I told her that perhaps I should change my pill, just because.. to try something new, she has giving me a refill for Junel? But I am reading awful reviews. But Ortho Tri-Cyclen Has terrible reviews too from everyone, I am surprised I haven't have ANY NEGATIVE side effects.."

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Good for me January 9, 2017

"The first week was fine then after that I started getting headaches then comes the nausea in the morning and then I throw up non stop with all that I get diarrhea and dizzyness, lack of energy and appetite I stayed in bed all day today its horrible the worst I ever took"

Kbee1 January 8, 2017

"I began taking ortho primarily to help regulate my periods, which are both very irregular and heavy. I typically don't have very severe cramps, so I can't comment on that. However, about a month into taking this, I started experiencing extreme nausea and about weekly vomiting. At the time, I was dealing with a ton of stress/anxiety, so I partially attribute my illness to that. The nausea/vomiting was severe, seemingly random (but commonly occurred at night/early morning), leaving me not wanting to do anything/go out, feeling constantly tired & run down, and with no appetite whatsoever as the thought of food made me ill. About 3.5 months later, I stopped taking ortho and I haven't vomited since. Just be careful in trying different BCs."

rmex January 3, 2017

"Pros: clearer skin, no hair loss (happened to me on another pill) minimal bloating, no break through bleeding, no tiredness, no irritability, no breat tenderness and most importantly no pregnancy Cons: headaches from time to time, slightly decreased sex drive and slightly increased food cravings"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

"MAJOR hair loss, anxiety, insomnia, weight gain, panic attacks AND large dark spot on forehead (melasma) Please stay away from this birth control! In the past, I use to have extremely horrific periods, vomiting and horrible cramps. I started this birth control to help with this and for a while everything seemed great, my periods were normal and the debilitating cramps went away. I thought all was well. After about 3 years or so I started noticing hair breakage? Also, I noticed an odd freckle on my forehead. I had asked a nurse and she said it was a sun spot (I was 29 at the time). The %u201Cfreckle%u201D grew larger and larger until it covered most of my forehead!!!! I had to go to 2 doctors to find out what was wrong with me. Stay away!"

Curly L0cks December 8, 2016

"I was put on this birth control after I had been on a progesterone only pill which made my usually clear skin break out horribly. Once I started taking this pill my skin cleared up. My periods are shorter and my cramps less severe. I have had weight gain but that's more due to my lack of exercise and being in college. I sometimes get headaches during the placebo pill days but those are easily combated by advil."

Emily74 December 2, 2016

"I absolutely loved OrthoTriCyclen! I was always irregular and had very bad mood swings, cramps, headaches, and nausea associated with PMS and my period. The first couple of months, I experienced occasional nausea and dizziness but that's to be expected when starting a new hormonal treatment. My periods shortened to four days instead of six or seven and I was able to pinpoint my periods each month while on the pill. I stopped taking it for a few years but I'm getting ready to get back on it this next week and I'm looking forward to it! After I stopped taking it, however, my periods became irregular again after a few months of discontinuing the pill."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2016

"Hey everyone, I usually never write reviews but here it goes.. I've been taking this BC pill for about two years now, I've never experienced depression ,aniexty or mood swings. I haven't had a pregnancy scare or anything to be so worried about. I never seemed to have a problem remembering to take my pill cause I have an alarm on my phone. Weight gain which I'm not sure but I don't think birth control took a big toll on it. Being that I'm in college and in love I think I had to be a blame for my own weight gain lol. But overall it's a great BC to take .. my only thing is will it truly effect my body once me and my fiancé are ready for kids or not."

Bell 101 October 17, 2016

"I did not experience any weight gain, acne or physical side effects, and the birth control did do its job (prevent pregnancy). I was however vey emotionally effected by this pill. I was not depressed, but incredibly over emotional. I normally never cry and keep most things to my self, but cried every single day while taking this pill. Ultimately changed to another BC because after 6 months, it did not go away."

JAMK October 13, 2016

"I wrote my expirence with this pill before, back when I started and it actually worked. I've been on it for 6 months now and let me tell you, i'm already going to the doctor to switch. Sure, no babies. That part was effective. But eventually, I ended up having cramps again (they had gone away when i first started) my acne flared up like nobody's buisness, my headaches are horrible and daily, and i've been suffering from depression. I never have any motivation, i burst out crying for no reasons, and I get angry out of no where. This is very out of character for me. I'm disapointed but hopefully I will find a better option."

ava332 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2016

"Worst ever. Mood swings. Depressed. Doesn't feel like I get enough sleep. I get angry then sad for no real reason. I am also noticing an increase in appetite, break outs, no energy. This is the most horrible bc because one is not going to be able to function to lead a normal life. I'm so disappointed that it has cause irregular bleeding. "

Cher1230987 August 30, 2016

"I was on tri- lo in high school and I was fine with it but my life now is so miserable. I am always depressed and everytime I eat I just feel sick to my stomach. I have no motavation to get up in the morning and I'm always tired no matter how many hours I sleep, I have headaches like nobody's business. I highly recommend talking to your doctor before getting on this ."

Cljs0019 August 19, 2016

"Breakthrough bleeding, two periods in one month, weight gain, horrible lower back pain and cramping and terrible acne! Not moody at all but all the above a good reason to find something else"

News for you August 1, 2016

"Been on the pill (specifically this pill) since I was 15 and now I am 28. I am more than hapoy with the pill. I have never had issues with weight gain (unless I am hogging into a box of cookies), no acne, mood swings, and no pregnancy scares. Extremely predictable periods that are super minor 1 heavy day and light-regular for the other 3 days-4 day period and done. Best thing I have ever done. Period. I recommend it for sure, but obviously it won't be the same for everyone."

ShanCus July 15, 2016

"I've only been on this birth control for about 12 days and it is the worst experience I've come across. I thought the depo shot was bad, but I am already experiencing depression, nausea, headaches, and insomnia. I got on this bc to clear up my acne and it may be to soon to tell how it really works, but based on the side effects I'm already experiencing I do not think I will continue suffering. It's too much letting this bc control all my emotions. I do not recommend it, but every female is different so it may be great for the next person."

Meekayla (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

"I was put on this BC because my periods were incredibly long, 25 days. I didn't gain weight, but I noticed on it I felt hungry all the time and had cravings for fatty foods. But I have charlie horses no matter how many banana's I eat or water I drink (And I eat a banana every day and drink about 100oz of water a day). The mood swings are terrible. I never want to do anything, I have no motivation, getting out of bed is a challenge, the bouts of crying. I'm irritable all the time. I'm frustrated about everything. I go to the doctor next week and asking to be switched to something else. Also my periods are horrible still after 3 months Ultra tampons every hour and horrible pains in abdomen."

Mish9489 June 30, 2016

"I've been on this birth control for 3 months. It's making me crazy. My periods have been 10x worse than they were before I got on the pill and they were bad! I stay home from school every time I'm on it because I can't handle them and I get horrible headaches while I'm on my period. My acne has been getting a bit worse but I hear it gets better after 3 months? I am going to stick with it for another month and see how it goes but let's just say it's hell right now."

Lina2345678 June 23, 2016

"I was on tricyclen for 1 year and it was a definite 10 for the time being, no babies... However, around the 10th month I started to feel like Something wasn't right.. I was getting harsh pains in my arms and legs daily, Id get stabbing chest pains and sometimes weird feelings and sometimes stabbing, excruciating pains in my uterus.. Not to mention the intense mood swings and random crying and anger all the time.. My head always felt like it had pressure in it, or like someone was stabbing my brain with an ice pick. If you don't want a baby, this is the Birth Control for you, however be aware of the f'd up side effects! I quit taking it 2 weeks ago and feel almost back to normal but still haven't seen a doctor"

A birth control expert (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2016

"I was 24 this was my first birth control.My weight initially fluctuate from 115lb to 120 but never more. On this birth control for 1 year i had notice increase in appetite.Breast size increase from a Small B been like that forever to a full C.Weight increased to 145lb In 1 year.Skin was slightly clearer but has occasional breakout on chin meaning hormonal imbalance.Asked my NP to switch me to a lower hormone BCP because of weight gain she says it's might be my diet that has to change but I insisted. She change me to nuva ring. Tried it for 6 months convinent but gained more weight up to 151lb. I'm getting off these hormone birth control they are increasing my appetite. Unmotivational mood I'm changing to Paraguard IUD no hormone."

Lh24 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

"I was prescribed this as my first ever birth control, because I had horrible 14 day long periods. It got to the point where i'd end up dizzy & hyperventilating. So my doc gave me this, so far everything has been normal except my boobs don't feel the same. I've only been on the pill for about three weeks but my bras are all too tight now and the girls feel super heavy. Coming from a 16 year old who's had B cup for a while, this was a surprise. I haven't had any mood swings out of the regular and my acne is nonexistent."

Ash334 April 22, 2016

"This birth control had given me side effects from the start, moodiness, weight gain( ten pounds), headaches, nausea, it did clear my skin which is what I went on it for however 8 months into taking it I was admitted into the hospital with bi lateral blood clots in my lungs. I understand this may just be specific to my case but just because it is a lo estrogen birthcontrol does not mean clots can not happen. Please be aware and if risk of clotting runs in your family or you are at all concerned please talk with your doctor before you take this pill."

Kathleen Rivera March 28, 2016

"Only been 3 months on the Lo but I've definitely seen some changes. Yes it has allowed me to be more regular in my cycle and my cramps are lessened+flow is lighter, which is what I originally had asked for from my first bc and what I received and why I gave a 6/10. However, the side effects are so rough :/ I'm already an emotional trainwreck of a teenager with psychotic depression bpd and avpd and this bc seems to put all my emotions in a bottle of soda and shake until I break down. In addition, I've had a a much larger appetite since starting and have gained 20 pounds since I began taking it, and I've had a lot more migraines and dizzy spells (I'm a mess). Overall, I don't really like, and will most likely switch to a new bc asap"

DisappointmentUser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"Well I had a terrible experience on this birthcontrol. I won't say it's a terrible birth control because I know everyone is different. But starting off I experienced mild nausea and mood swings. I was much more snippy then usual and irritable. After the first week I started getting a few deep cystic pimples, one along my jaw and another on my chin. The worst part was my first menstrual cycle, it was excruciating strong cramps like someone stabbed me, radiating to my legs and stomach. I couldn't walk. LARGE clots, I ran thru super plus tampons every hour. I became so anemic I was advised to go to the ER by my PCP. But over all, I didn't get pregnant? Wasn't worth it to me. I stopped after two months I couldn't adjust to this pill."

Heathercheddar March 22, 2016

"Just some of my background so some of you can relate: I'm 115lbs, 23 years old, in my third month of taking Try Cyclen which is the first BC I ever went on. So far thank God no pregnancies, although increased amount of discharge and I got a vaginal infection which I never had before and that was strange. At first I gained weight and my breasts went up a size which was great but now I'm back to loosing a lot of weight. Yes mood swings have increased but I was always emotional and thought of myself as someone with depression lol so you guys really have to be careful about what is really considered to be called depression. Periods have stayed the same, just a little bit more regulated which is also a plus. So far no drastic changes."

lingling922 March 15, 2016

"Definitely does its job. light and manageable periods that last 5-6 days. skin has never been so clear. About 4 pounds of weight gain which is no problem. But, I am MOODY. I have always been a happy person and this pill causes you to snap easily and cry easily. Still rating a 10 because it does its job and other than mood swings I have no complaints"

nichole26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2016