User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 434 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Acne

"This is my very first time taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I love it! I asked my doctor for a good birth control pill that worked with acne, cramps, and periods so she suggested this! At first I thought about switching because my acne got terrible, (worse than ever) and I didn't have a period for 2 months. I gave my body sometime on it and turns out this pill is amazing! I no longer deal with bad acne or acne at all! During my time of month I will get a couple pimples but nothing to dramatic! I'm also using Clinique acne solutions face wash, toner, mosturizer and mask. IF YOU ARE WANTING TO SWITCH PLEASE DON'T. Let your body get used to the pill before you act on it. I am on month 2 and periods last 2-3 days, and I hardly ever get acne!"

kay8924 January 5, 2017

"3rd month, 3rd post I am happy to report that the getting 1-2 pimples every single day, HAS STOPPED! I am so happy. I originally started this pill to get less break outs/nopregnancy. I went from getting 2-3 pimples before my cycle break out to getting 2-3 EVERY day the moment I started this pill. Has been very difficult, but accepted that the pill is a shock to your syndrome and it takes months for your body to adjust, to just stick it out. I am on my 2nd wk of month 3 and I have only gotten ONE new pimple. All the red marks left on my face from the constant breakouts, are almost completely gone. Not to mention, I have always considered myself very emotionally aware/stable, but this pill has mellowed me out to a whole new level. Love it!"

27 Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

"Took this for a year with no problems or side effects. It was amazing. I stopped taking any form of birth control for about two years. I took this again for a year and that's where all the problems came from. I started breaking out more and more each month. I had a rash along my hairline, my jawline, my back, my cheeks. It was terrible. It clears up a little during the "fake" pills week, but it's the worst acne I've ever had. I stopped taking it for 2 months and my face cleared up, so I knew it was the pill. I'm looking to switch to something new asap."

564825649855751 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2016

"I'm sure i'll have a different opinion on the pill months from now but so far I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen just over a month. My dermatogolist perscribed this to me for my acne. I've never had any problems with my skin until I was 23 (my age now). Since September, my left cheek was the worst I've seen! Cystic acne all in one cluster but nowhere else! The weirdest thing. My doctor also prescribed me Minocycline to help with the acne and regulate my hormores (with b/c). So far, all the cysts have gone down and are now flat but I am left with acne spots. I really hope they do not scar. I've also been putting on tretinon cream to help with inflammation and scars. Does anyone have any suggestions on acne spots/lightening treatment? Thx!"

Mich9393 November 29, 2016

"I took birth control religiously from age 14-24. got pregnant at 24. ( wasn't taking my pills like I should) now my son is 2 and I recently got back on birth control. opted for the ortho tri cyclin bc that's what I had always used for years. it's day six and I am so sick I'm not taking another one. tried it at morning first (even with eating) sick as a dog. tried it before bed, woke up sick. not sure if it is too much for me, or where I haven't been on it in so long, or where it's not fully in my system. but I have made up my Mind I would rather bleed like a stuffed pig than to feel sick like this. horrible for me."

boy mom November 15, 2016

"I never really had acne until this stuff. Hard cystic acne all over my jawline. Terrible headaches and nausea. I've been on it for 2 weeks, but I'm about to call it quits. Too many side effects; it's us to not worth it. It's unbelievable."

I hate Ortho Tri Cyclin! (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

"This cleared up my acne entirely! It took about 5 to 6 months before seeing results, definitely worth the wait. Its been 10 months and my face is CLEAR. I get a few pimples here and there but other than that no complaints."

Anonymous October 18, 2016

"I am only on my 3rd week and I have gotten 2-3 pimples the week of my cycle since I was 13 with maybe a few more throughout the week if I was stressed. My acne has gotten very consistent, which I understand to be a normal response until your body adjusts to the hormones. I also understand that everyone react differently, but this BC is used a lot for treating acne and is my first time using BC. This has severely discouraged my confidence, Im contemplating misses an important baby shower just to avoid people. I get a new pimple every single day, luckily each one is gone within two days, but my chin and for head are just rough, I'm just not used to not feeling confident. I sure hope it improves, or I will stop using all together."

27 Steph (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

"Gave me cystic acne and it was so frustrating because it is suppose to help with acne. I usually get one or 2 regular white heads that go away in like 2 days but this one gave me horrible acne that wouldn't completly heal in like 2 weeks. If you want something that help if you're having this problem go on the patch (Xulane) it made my skin so nice and my boobs grew a full cup size lol! :) no lie"

Lilleytomo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016

"DO NOT TAKE THIS. I BROKE OUT 3 months straight and threw up on my period. I was in terrible pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had bad cramps in my life until taking this!!!!! LOST ALL MY CONFIDENCE BECAUSE OF THE ACNE IT GAVE ME. IM CURRENTLY SHAKING AND CRYING IN PAIN ON THE DAY OF MY BIRTHDAY BECAUSE IM ON MY PERIOD. IM DONE TAKING THIS. I GAVE IT THREE MONTHS LIKE DOCTOR SAID AND ITS RUBBISH!!!! I don't know what to do know. Thinking about getting help for depression and anxiety. Birth control is absolute rubbish!"

Kamsjsiwmsmme September 2, 2016

"Im 14 year old girl & I'm on ortho tri cyclen (which is basically the same thing just cheaper) it's been 2 months & it's been the same.. hasn't gotten any better. I have tiny little pimples on my forehead WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. And more breakouts on my cheeks. But I haven't gave the medication enough time, I'm gonna give it 1-2 more months like people/Doctor are saying & report back.!! Side note: drink a lot of water, workout, eat healthy, sleep well, and change pillow cases. Don't touch face, stick to a routine, don't put 10000 products on your face, try not to stress, and smile more. ( if you already do all of the above then your acne is hormonal and its out of control like mine.. Which is why I started taking birth control"

sarah789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"I have had acne for quite some time so I decided to start ortho. It's only been 3 days in and I have so many extra pimples on my face all over, and huge pimples at that. I'm hoping it will clear as its starting to get into my system but so far I'm dreading starting this pill and am thinking I need to just stop as it is not helping my self esteem or my skin what so ever....I have more scars which take so much time to heal/ lighten. Unhappy"

Anonymous adult July 27, 2016

"I switched from Yasmin to tri-cyclen because my acne was so bad. I'm 26 years old and have been on some type of birth control since I was 18. I have had the worst experience of my life being on tri-cyclen. I was on it for a few months until I started to have very severe panic attacks. I didn't know what it was until after a few months of going through this hell I stopped the pills. As soon as I stopped them I haven't had a bad panic attack like that since and it's been 8 months."

Melissa353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

"I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

"I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin for about 12 months and my skin has been flawless. I love how it's cleared up my acne but I'm having major breakthrough bleeding at the moment. I missed 2 pills about 2 weeks ago and I have since then been bleeding continuously and i'm just about to go on my placebo pills, so after i'm finished with this pack it will be about 3 weeks with constant bleeding and it's terrible. Even when I didn't miss any pills I would have breakthrough bleeding the week before I started my placebo pills and it would drive me nuts. Saw my doctor and i'm going to try out another acne birth control, Yasmin so hopefully all goes well...."

SkyH7291 April 27, 2016

"This is my 3rd week on this bc pill! So far I've been quite moody but nothing that has gotten out of control. I've cried for no reason but I'm naturally an emotional person so this doesn't surprise me haha. No weight gain, some headaches and fatigue but nothing intolerable. I had to take Tylenol like 2 or 3 times and every thing was fine. HOWEVER, I am have a mini cystc constellation on one side of my chin :( hoping this will be better and wont happen again. I also got a random cyst on my fore head. I normally only break out on my cheeks."

Moderate Cystic Acne gal March 30, 2016

"I never had acne problems just a few hormonal breakouts once a montb. I had taken another type of pill for 6 years before switching to tri cyclen at the suggestion of my dr. This has given me terrible TERRIBLE acne. There has not been one other change in my life with the exception of switching birth control. I'm in my late twenties and I am now suffering with terrible acne. I see that most people have positive results but if you are like me I want you to know you aren't alone and some of us just got a crappy deal here. I have decided to stop taking the pill and see what happens to my skin. I will consider another option going forward."

elly87 March 21, 2016

"I went on the pill for my acne and I have to say that for that IT COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER. I used to have horrible cystic acne and it was constant but after starting the pill my face is consistently clear. The downside, CRAZY moodswings. I literally burst into tears for no reason all the time and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I never had before I started the pill. I can go from having the best day of my life to not moving from bed for two days in an instant and that scares me so I will be choosing not to take the pill anymore as even though I love having clear skin, I dont want to sacrifice my sanity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

"I used this drug for the sole purpose to control my moderate acne. Side effects: Noticeably more emotional for the first few weeks. After usage of 1 year: My acne has decreased dramatically, but I'm not quite sure if it's because I stopped stressing about my acne, or because I changed my hair products, or because of this drug by itself. My skin started getting clearer around 7 months in to taking this medication. Like I said, I don't know if it was because of this, but I don't want to stop taking it because I'm scared my acne will return back to the way it was. It seems that the longer I've taken it, the clearer my skin has become. :)"

senorababylegs February 11, 2016

"I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

"So I have been on the pill for just over a month and have noticed my acne get a bit worse. Other than that, it's all positive. Absolutely no mood swings (if anything it has made me more calm)... zero cramps and lighter period. My boobs have increased at least a full cup size! Will give this a try for at least another 5 months as I have heard that acne can get worse before it gets better :)"

nataliepeds January 20, 2016

"I'm finishing my first pack of Ortho currently. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm breaking out worse, my acne is more inflamed, and my skin is looking more rough overall. Before starting this medication, my acne was mainly inflamed pustules with a pus-filled head covering my cheeks. Now I'm getting minor "cysts" that are completely under the skin and very red, and really really hurt. My acne has never hurt before and now it is, so that's a change. Also I have more general whiteheads than before. Also noticed my acne is increasing in my chin/jawline area, and beforehand my acne was mainly concentrated in my cheeks. I'm disappointed so far and wondering if I should even continue."

Lc123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"I'm on the final week of my 3 pack of Ortho. I haven't had any side effects from this. In the past I've had issues with BC affecting my moods and sex drive, abnormal bleeding and making my hormonal acne even worse. So I'm giving it an 8. Because it's not helping helping with my hormonal acne at all."

29PalmsBabe December 29, 2015

"I have delt with acne since I was 15, Throughout high school it was here and there. After high school it got worse and worse. I am now 21 and just finishing my second month on being on Ortho tri-cyclen and my acne has increased since using (which I was told and aware of). I was very hopeful but I'm starting to get discouraged and starting to dread looking at my face everyday. I'm going to continue using it and hope for the best. I really hope this works for me."

Anonymous November 30, 2015