User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Endometriosis 39 reviews 167 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 192 reviews 169 medications

4.6
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 2591 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have had irregular periods for a long time I was on Ortho Lo but due to insurance I had to take Tri Sprintec. I read a lot of the reviews and I was so scared to even give in to taking them but I was bleeding off and on for 5 months so I felt as of I had no choice. I never got sick I felt a little light headed no sore breasts or anything my stomach did feel a little weird but like most meds you should eat at least an hour before taking it. My the time I reached my white pills I started my period it was awful but that due to the fact I didn't really have a period in months I could barely work I changed a super plus tampon every hour after that day it was manageable. So far so good though."

A1Jw (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Lo-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Like most other women on here, I started out with Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo. Then my insurance wouldn't cover it now I'm taking Tri Lo Sprintec. I've been on it for close to a year now and haven't had many negative side effects. The first two or three months I had nausea but that went away after a while. I have hardly any PMS symptoms, my periods are regular and last 5 days Max. And not many breakouts. I'm happy with this pill and would continue to take it. The one thing I noticed that's different from the name brand is when I jump straight in to a new pack to skip my period, I have spotting for a week or two."

Tina.x July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Gives me pretty clear skin, other than a pimple or two on my forehead during my period. Slightly larger breasts, shorter and lighter periods, and I'm not pregnant. Very happy with this pill, and it's my first time on BC so I suppose I got lucky. This was great for me, but everyone's body is different so I don't think reviews for birth control pills are super smart in actuality..."

AngieEL July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been using this pill for almost a year. I am 28 and have had cystic acne the last couple years. My topical prescription wasn't working as well anymore so I decided to try birth control along with it. This has kept my cystic acne to about 1 pustule a month, which is a huge improvement. Although I have been using this and a topical medicine for my acne, it hasn't stopped the occasional breakout on my back. It's frustrating that it's not perfect but it's doing it's job. I also recently got married and am not pregnant! So it's doing 2 jobs."

Acne survivor July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I was on the mini pill for about a year and really didn't mind it at all. However I was weaning my baby and had some breaking out so wanting to try the regular pill instead as recommended by my doctor. One month in and so far it is TERRIBLE. I get terrible cramps now, nausea all day, headaches and my emotions are out of wack! I already have slight depression and anxiety, this pill made it SO much worse. My acne is the worst it's been since I first had my daughter especially around my jawline. I am going to give it two more packs and then switch to something else."

Jessilynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "This pill caused hair loss and fatigue. I noticed the side effects by the middle of week one. By the end of week 2 you could see patches of missing hair. I stopped using it at the end of week 2."

ANKO July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "First month on this I had awful cramps, following I was very moody and I'm normally very positive. Constantly fatigued and stressed. Gained a lot of weight on my stomach and hips, which pissed me off a lot more since I'm working out regularly and eating how I normally do, pretty healthily. Breasts grew bigger. Constantly feel bloated and stomach Area feels sensitive, but at the same time always hungry. I've decided to stop taking it, and am going to search for another option. Simply not worth all the trouble."

Hdosjdnxkaiak July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Everybody's body absorbs differently. My body did not like Mononessa at all. I only lasted 3 days of this pill. I had an insane reaction, my doctor even told me she's never heard anything like it. My body had an insane panic attack as I was puking. My fingers and toes started to tighten and I could not move them, I had partial paralysis in my fingers and toes! I was crying and rocking back and forth. I never want to experience anything like it again. My body would wake me up every morning at 4:00AM to do this every time I took the pill. I was switched to the Yaz pill which was amazing! After the 4th year of taking it, my body got used to Yaz and now I am experiencing a lot of mood swings and my sex drive decreasing! Microgestin here I come!"

BirthControlUser1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "This medication does prevent pregnancy for me. It cleared my acne and made my periods lighter. However, it gave me mood swings, extremely sore nipples, high irritability, loss of sex drive and decreased my appetite. I've been miserable. I don't get cramps during my period but now during ovulation I get slight cramps. Every month I swear I'm pregnant because of the side effects but I get my period. I'm almost done with month 4 and I'm thinking of stopping."

Cutiecelly234 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had talked to my Dr. about going on a pill for the my heavy periods I've been getting. After talking about all the different kinds of birth control she put me on this one. The first month wasn't too bad except for the fact I was overwhelmed all the time and really emotional. My first month I actually lost weight but my acne got worse. As instructed I skipped my placebo pills for the first pack and started my second. Two days into my second pack I started my period but it was very light compared to what's I've had in the past. Here it is 10 days later and I'm still bleeding.. I'm gonna stop this pill and go get the IUD in next week. I wouldn't recommend this pill."

Lightened my periods though July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "PLEASE do not take this. I haven't been this depressed in a year but I truly feel like this has made it come back with a vengeance. JUST DON'T TAKE IT. Also, my anxiety is worse than it's ever been and I really feel like dying. I'm switching back to sprintec in hopes that I feel better. Stay away from this."

ke13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have been on this birth control for the past week and 2 days and I have never in my life experienced depression being on this birth control has made me severely depressed.Very sad cried for 2 days and didn't know why I am 20 and haven't been on bc for like 5 years decided to take this to help with heavy periods .. also I've been throwing up in the morning my boobs are tender and my face is breaking out I'm going to say DEPRESSED one more time being it is seriously messing with who I am .. I would not recommend"

Jazminnichole July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been taking sprintec for 3 months as prescribed after a surgical abortion as a birth control/period regulator. Before starting sprintec my period were on time but extremely heavy. I had been on lo minestrin for a few yrs prior to starting sprintec and had a ton of success with that, but my insurance stopped covering it so I had to change perscriptions. I'm on my last few days of month 3 and I have been bleeding everyday for the past two and a half months. It's beyond normal spotting - I use up a super plus tampon twice a day. On my normal periods I use four to five super plus tampons. I thought something was very wrong with me, and I'm still gonna see a Dr, but reading these reviews leads me to believe its just a really horrible medication."

81939571 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I've been on Trinessa for about 5 or 6 months. I've gotten extreme head aches and mood swings. I've never had a panic or anxiety attack before and every month I've been having terrible panic attacks. I also experience really bad bloating. I will be switching off of this pill!"

Megs.M July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "This was my first birth control experience. I have been an emotional wreck since starting the pill. I cry about nothing (used to be more in control of that) and I've gained 10 pounds in 6 months (without changing diet or exercise). I also have felt more tired and incredibly anxious which was unusual. Can someone find a birth control that actually works :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started this pill at 18 because I didn't have my period for 6 months. My period came back after the first month. My acne got worse for the first 6 months but eventually got a bit better, no more cystic acne. My appetite skyrocketed but my weight has stayed constant. It's also given me hot flashes. Lots of moodiness and anxiety but that might be unrelated to the pill, and it has improved somewhat. After 15 months I've decided to switch pills. That being said, the pill affects everyone differently so take my experience with a grain of salt."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have been on this birth control for over a year now after getting off the depo (horrible side effects) and thought this would make me feel better. And it did until the last 3-4 months I thought I was depressed but reading these reviews makes me realize it must be the Sprintec. I get depressed and like other reviewers mentioned "emotionally numb". And my sex drive has been completely nonexistent making think something is incredibly wrong with me but it's just the birth control! I will be off this completely and will stick to condoms. I wish there was a safe birth control for women to take without the god awful side effects. Makes me feel bad for women everywhere wondering what is making them miserable."

EAB220 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Been on it for about 5 years now. Cleared my acne that I had on my face, chest, and back. Still have small breakouts here and there but nothing compared to before I was on it. I have gained a small amount of weight but not bad weight, I love it! Lol I have unprotected sex with my husband that I've been with for 6 years and haven't gotten pregnant lol"

521nma (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I've been on Sprintec for about 7 or 8 months. I noticed I began getting very depressed after about 2 or 3 months and now it has only gotten worse I'm on antidepressants which aren't helping. I have horrible migraines almost every day which seem to get worse. My period happens about every 2-3 weeks. I'm tired all the time and I have ridiculous mood swings.. I'm so touchy and sensitive. After reading this I'm going to stop taking this birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I've been on Sprintec for 3 years now. I switched from the depo as I didn't like what the depo was doing to my body. I had no weight gain from the depo but I just didn't like the reviews I was reading and the fact I had no period freaked me out. I was on the depo for 6 months (2 shots) and I stopped the depo and didn't get a period again until 6 months later. So definitely didn't like that. With sprintec I've had No weight gain. I do get a little emotional the last week of the pack but I blame that on my period. No headaches. Periods are regular. My sex drive hasn't changed. Over all I think this medication works for me. Everyone is different so if your experiencing anything unpleasant definitely talk to your doctor!"

CATIE013 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have been on Ortho Tri-cyclen for about 14 years, with no issues, no pregnancies. When I got a prescription for it, the pharmacist suggested Tri- Linyah which is supposed to be the generic version, and because it was free opposed to OTC which would have been 60$. Hesitant, I agreed to try it out, and she stated that if I had any issues I could always switch back. ..... Not even 3 months in, and I'm pregnant."

Anonymous MD. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Horrible mood swings since starting the pill. Emotionally numb, headaches, constant anxiety, nonexistent sex drive. I was switched to this pill by my doc because I had breakthrough bleeding on my other pill."

A123456 July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "First time user of the pill in general. The doctor put me on the lo because I also wanted it to help with acne symptoms as well as general birth control. The first 2 weeks I did not notice any side effects, all was well. The 3rd week I started noticing bloating and weight gain. The weight gain did not stop and I started noticing my appetite sky rocket. I was hungry a lot and often. I started snacking and gaining weight around hips and butt. Not a good feeling. To be clear, I used this for only 2 months, but in those two months I gained a little over 5 pounds and felt bloated and foggy brain. The acne did start to improve after the first month which was nice and my skin was doing great, however, this was not enough incentive for me."

say no (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill over a year ago and nothing has changed hormonally for me. In the mornings if I don't eat at a certain time I do get nauseated and throw up but my cycle has always been on time and consistent. Maybe gained 10 pounds most but with exercise it helps. I have a very sensitive body and this is perfect for me. However it may not work for some people. Worst side effect I've had is not really sleeping might get five to six hours"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for about 4 months now and at first it was great, it cleared up my acne and everything went fine, then I accidentally missed a pill and since then my face has been all full of acne."

Lucygoat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017