User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Femynor, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Mili, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, TriNessa Lo …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ovarian Cysts

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
4.6

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 5.8 2,772 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I am just starting my third pack of this birth control and it has not been a fun experience at all. I've gotten headaches every single day, gained weight due to an increased appetite, and my acne has gotten worse. I used to get minor breakouts leading up to my period, but now I get 2-3 new cystic acne spots nearly everyday. The only time my acne calms down is during the placebo week. I am going to finish this third pack and see what happens but if nothing changes I am definitely switching. As of right now would definitely NOT recommend this birth control."

sydddddddd November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have been off Tri-Sprintec for two weeks now and I feel like myself again. I was extremely moody towards my husband for the last 9 months. I just feel happier. The pill was effective though because I didn't get pregnant. I also didn't have any weight gain and my skin was fine. Just be aware that you can become very emotional and irritable after taking this pill. I'll be looking for another contraceptive that doesn't do that to my body."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "If you haven't taken Estarylla before, I'd recommend giving it a try. I've had pretty much no negative side effects other than a mild nausea after the first few pills in a new pack, and it's helped a lot with my acne. My periods are also significantly shorter and less severe than they were with no medication/other birth control. Looking at other reviews, this definitely doesn't work well for some people, but its been really effective for me."

Kathleen D November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Endometriosis: "I've been taking Sprintec for 8 months. I take it continuously, skipping the placebo pills. It has helped my endometriosis, but the break through bleeding is non-stop. It's awful. I'm swapping to another pill to see if I can get the bleeding to lessen. I'm sad it didn't work to prevent periods, because it didn't cause any nausea or weight gain. Other pills I've tried in the past caused both! Fingers crossed for the next one..."

Owlgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Ovarian Cysts: "I went to the ER because I was having horrible pains in my lower pelvic area. I’ve never engaged in sexual activity at the time so STIs we’re out of the question. Also, I hadn’t had a period in about 7 months. They found a small ovarian cyst on my Fallopian tube. Nonetheless, my gynecologist prescribed me Tri-Sprintec and I’ve had positive results from it overall. I’ve been taking it since 2014. My periods have become regulated and I lost the weight that I gained during those months I didn’t have a period. The only negative thing I can say about it is that, mood swings are horrible. I’ve always been a sensitive person but sheesh, this made me even more sensitive. I acknowledge it and I try to keep my mood under control."

tanoro (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "The time I was on Trinessa was horrible. I had major mood swings, lost a lot of weight, got really depressed and felt like a total different person. I also got migraines once a week from the start of the pill until I finally decided on changing it."

Jojo99000 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Horrible. I'm 5 feet and 2 inches and I should be around 108 pounds. Within 3 weeks this pill has made me EXTREMELY hungry like I've never been before. Also gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks! I would not recommend:("

Anonymous November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I've been taking the pill for 3-4 years now and it had always given me weird side effects before my period that changed with each month. Some months I would experience cramps, or breast tenderness that I never had before being on it. It also made me gain weight and increased my anxiety and depression. However, the past few months my side effects have worsened just before my period. Depression and anxiety gets really bad for 1-2 days and I started vomiting. This month I couldn't even get out of bed I experienced nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, back pain, dizziness, weakness."

Notpreg November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "So I decided to give this birthcontrol a try and absolutely regret my decision. I had absolutely heavy flow whenever my period hit, cramps that made me double over in pain, and it was to the point that I had trouble walking normal due to my period being so heavy. I went back to my old birth control and had no problems like this. It was to the point that I was begged to be changed back to my old birth control."

PandaKit (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "Used for a month or two. Gave me terrible migraines daily, along with irritability and nausea. I didn’t notice any difference in my acne."

Jett. November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I took previfem from August ‘16-October ‘17 for heavy periods and bad cramping. The first month it made me break out like crazy on my forehead, but that cleared up rather quickly into the second month. It made my periods much lighter and eliminated my cramping all together. By the summer of 2017, I had a major shift in my lifestyle. I was no longer in college, where I was on the Crew team for three years, and a new job had started up. With the shift in my lifestyle, my periods became incredibly heavy. Still no cramping, but I was bleeding through super plus tampons after 6 hours. I know it was due to the stressors in my life and my lack of exercise, but my doctor and I have decided to switch over that is better equipped for my lifestyle"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I’ve been on this pill for about 2 years, it raised by blood pressure, I gained about 20 pounds and my acne got slightly worse. I don’t know why it took me so long to get off of it but I’m so happy I did."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "So I've been on sprintec for about a year, I'm 19 yrs old about 5'9". I'm pretty sure this pill is what has made my life hard for MONTHS. I wake up many mornings and vomit continuously, and have the worst stomach pain of my life. The throwing up usually goes away in the afternoon, but sometimes I'll throw up at night or feel terrible randomly. I've gotten cameras down my stomach, blood work done on about everything, and everything has came back NORMAL. For some reason my doctors never suggested the fact that it might be sprintec, but as of today I'm going to stop taking. Also, since I've been throwing up, and have no appetite, my stomach has shrank and I've lost about 20 pnds in 2 months, meaning I'm no longer a healthy weight."

Kayyjboucher November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mono-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I am ready to get OFF this pill. I have been on this pill now for a year and some change. I want to get back on my lower dosage because this pill is just horrible to me. I have been on BC pills for 10 years and never experienced what I am going through right now. I gained 20lbs and changed NOTHING with my healthy eating habits, my migraines got so SUPER BAD I had to get a MRI to make sure everything was okay. I am usually nauseated and I SPOT A LOT. 3 WEEKS out of month I am spotting or lightly bleeding with some bad ass cramps, I have my appt Thursday and I am ready to be done with this!!"

Wonder Woman750 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "TriNessa was a miracle worker! It helped my periods, my breakouts, and caused me NO weight gain!! I would definitely recommend to anybody."

hmsalyer (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm currently starting my second pack so I can't give a long term review of Mononessa but I still have some pretty important feedback. I'm personally taking Mononessa for contraception but mostly for my very irregular and heavy periods. Within the second almost third week I started bleeding dark brown blood but only a small amount. As the week went by it got heavier and red. I am currently still bleeding and its been 2 weeks which is frustrating since my periods usually last 2 to 3 days. What is really nice about this pill is that my body hair has stopped growing, or least grows very very very slow. It's not spectacular so far but I'll have to leave a review in 6 months to log some more long term progress."

chronic sunshine November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This is pill is pure garbage! Years ago I was taking Ortho-tricyclin and had no bad side effects. I decided to give the generic a try in spite of the negative reviews just because someone convinced me that everyone reacts different and since I used the original in the past I shouldn’t have any problems with the generic. So wrong! I had non stop bleeding/spotting, nausea everyday, feeling super depressed, crying for no reason, and to top it off it was also hurting my stomach. I decided to finish the pack anyways with hopes that these symptoms would go away. Well, they didn’t I am now experiencing heavy abnormal bleeding with blood clots. I am switching to Ogestrel starting on Sunday. Ladies please don't take this rubbish pill!"

Takethispilloffthemarket November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Okay, so, I've been taking this birth control for five years now. It does it's job at preventing pregnancy. Been with my boyfriend for three years, never used a condom, never pregnant. That's basically the only good thing about it. My acne has been terrible the entire time I've used this birth control. My mood swings are insane, cramping makes me nauseous, and I would bleed for five to seven days. I'm diagnosed with depression, and I noticed the week before my period I would get insanely depressed. I'm guessing it was this birth control, considering it happened every month during the last week of pills. Switching over to Yasmin to see how that works."

Mikkii505 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I moved to a new city and a new pharmacy. They switched my birth control from Norgestimate to this Tri-linyah. Literally after 3 days of taking it I had all the symptoms I get with my period! Sore breasts, horrible and I mean horrible cramps, and HORRIBLE mood swings! Not to mention the constant overheating! I called the pharmacy to switch it back by the 7th day."

Tinalina November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Worst birth control I've ever been on. Extreme burning and itching throughout vaginal area, acne and horribly tender breasts."

AllyVu November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Endometriosis: "This is the third and most likely last hormonal BCP I tried in order to reduce the debilitating pain I go through almost every month, on the first or second day of my period. If I don't wake up before my period cramps start to take some pain medication, there's a 90% chance I'll be throwing up whatever medication I take and then 3-4 times again after until I eventually fall asleep exhausted from all the vomit, diarrhea, dry heaving... I switched to this pill because the first BCP I tried made me have week long breakthrough bleeding and second one left me depressed. This pill though left me severely depressed with no energy and made me bleed for 20 days straight... Sure the cramps were gone but I rather go through my cramps than this any day"

Negaar November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Do not use this birth control. I was on yaz for a year and it did a great job at keeping facial hair and acne at bay for my PCOS. I had no negative side effects except for breakthrough bleeding which after dealing with this Tri Sprintec, doesn’t even compare. The first two days I felt fine. After that, forget it. I started to get extremely bloated, gassy, nausea, and heartburn. It would come for a couple hours each day. Now, 5 days later everything is constant and won’t go away I feel absolutely horrible. I went to the ER last night thinking I had a bowel obstruction but now thinking, it has to be the birth control. Can’t wait until this horrible pill gets out of my system."

abbyc904 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I'm a mother of 2 after reading the reviews I can see where my irritability has been coming from with my kids. Other than that no issues"

Lovely90 November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tri-Lo-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have been sensitive to several birth control pills, including tri lo Marzia which is supposed to be the same thing. On that one I bled for 3 weeks straight in the middle of a pack. This one has worked wonderfully for me and I have had no issues with acne or mood swings like I have with others. I do think every birth control works differently for everyone, so never take what one person says positively or negatively from a review!"

Eeeeeeeeeeew (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I am 26 and in a monogamous relationship. I am on Mononessa strictly for contraceptive purposes. I am bipolar and can become unstable on certain types of birth control and antibiotics. In the first 2-3 weeks I was very tired all the time. But since then the side effect is no longer an issue. I just finished my second pack and am doing well."

ikickstrangers (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017