User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Weight Loss 15 reviews 44 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 16 reviews 169 medications

6.3
Summary of Megestrol reviews 52 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Megestrol

For Weight Loss: "Always been 80 lbs since high school. No appetite, always ate in small portions. Taken this medication before but the 1st time I took in 2011 I gained weigh but also gained esophagus spasms from all the gorging I did so it's now permanently a side effect, yay. I started taking it again Feb 22, 2017 weighed in at 80.6 lbs, as of today, March 23, 2017, I'm weighing in at 100.4. I haven't taken it in 3 days to see if I can keep the appetite and use when needed. It's a great weight gain but there are side effects. Mine include no period, no sex drive, severe cold night sweats, hot flashes, the esophagus spasms, & swelling of arms & legs when active. These are the pros that some may consider cons- constantly hyper."

AidnAizMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "About two weeks ago I had to be hospitalized because I was bleeding severely and my blood level (which I may be saying that wrong) dropped down to 5.4. I had to have a blood transfusion and they gave me several rounds of medication within two days to see what would stop the bleeding. The one that worked was the Megestrol 40 mg. It says to take 4 times daily and my doctor wants me to take the medication until my next appointment which is 04/04/2017. I stopped bleeding the day that they gave it to me and for about two days I took as instructed and now I take one pill every other day from fear that if I stop completely that the bleeding may come again. So far I have not had any issues and I've been taking for about 2 weeks now."

PorJami (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I have been taking Megace now since end if November 2016 and gained 34lbs so far . Never in my life did I thought I would be able to to gain that much. I look and feel so much healthier. Megace gives me appetite all day. I m able to eat my whole plate in restaurants now and eat tons of snacks throughout the day .... If you want or need to gain weight then Megace is the best."

Jeylady February 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Weight Loss: "I have been skinny all my life , but due some medical issues i lost some more weight and ended up at 95lbs (5'4). During my hospital stay a Nutritionist told me about Megace and said i can try it and see if it helps me. After I got out of the hospital I went to pick up the Medication and started it right away. I started by the end of November 2017 and gained over 27 lbs so far. I cant be happier.No side effects at all beside not getting my period. I definitely recommend MEGACE."

Jeylady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Got to say that this medicine was worth it so much. I was put on megestrol 20 mg for 20 days and I had no side effect to this medicine. I started taking it and by the 5th day the heavy bleeding had stop. This is the second time being put on megestrol 20mg. I know everybody has a different opinion on this medication, and for what's it worth I'm happy with the outcome every single time."

bluequeen January 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I have been skinny all my life. My normal weight was always around 99lbs. But in 2014 I started gaining weight while I was on mirtazipine . I reached 127 lbs on my highest and I was more than happy. Unfortunately I lost the weight again after being always sick. 2 month ago I started getting really sick again and got hospitalized like a month ago with 6 different diagnosises. My weight went under 96lbs. I spoke to a nutritionist and she told me about megace and told me to ask my primary care doctor for it. After I got out of the hospital ,I went to see my doctor and prescribed it for me. Best thing ever. I been on it now for like 2 weeks and my appetite great. I m now at 110 and want 20 lbs more. It works!!!!!"

I highly recommend (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After the second week on this medication, I ER from having a 7-10 day cycle to bleeding every day with clots. The doctor increase dosage and I got worse. I stop taking it and now I'm almost always hurting. The bleeding hasn't stopped and I'm miserable. The worse thing ever was taking this medication."

mrsjaxon (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Weight Loss: "After stopping the megestrol yesterday after 2 months due to loss of weight during suspected lung cancer I have had continual very loose bowel movements so far all day the following day. Is this a side effect of coming off the medicine.. If anyone else has had this experience I would like to know about it as I didn't see this as a side effect in the literature"

RayJM1936 November 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "My insurance will not cover this medication for what I'm being treated for. I was prescribed this medicine for extreme weight loss."

Betty Appleton November 17, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "For several years, I have been experiencing very heavy and clot filled periods, sometimes lasting as long as 21 days (the heavy part would occur from day 2-4) and I was bleeding past super large tampons and pads every 30 minutes (I would wear both). I was also experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath, which forced me to the hospital a few times. There were no heart issues, however, I was severely anemic and received several blood transfusions, my lowest blood level being 5.4. An ultrasound determined that I have fibroids and was prescribed megastrol acetate and although I have light daily spotting and headaches, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. When I do have a period, it's just slightly more than spotting."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started taking this medication for heavy bleeding. I was having periods that lasted 9 - 10 days it went to 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, now a month and counting. I noticed that when I skipped a dose or 2 the bleeding decreased. So I did some research and found that one of the side effects was increased bleeding. I also had night sweats and felt thirsty all the time like I was dehydrated. An ablation has been recommended but now I'm not sure if it's needed due to the side effects."

Lioness1769 October 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Weight Loss: "I had lost about 40 pounds before I started taking megestrol. I am a big eater, my body just never gained the weight. The drs had tried other medications, but none of them worked. On Oct 13, 2016, I went to the Dr and she prescribed me the megestrol. I had lost too much weight. About 3 weeks later, I had a drs appointment & had gained about 10 pounds !!! I was so happy. I finished up the rest of my prescription and went for the checkup I was to have a month after taking it. The Dr was very pleased with the results. She wrote out another prescription with refills and I plan to keep taking it. It is the only thing that has worked for me & is the generic form. Try it"

Dj2016 October 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was put on Meagace 40mg tab twice a day for 60 days to stop abnormal bleeding. It worked for the first 45 days but I then began to bleed again. My doctor put me back on the medication but I am still bleeding. It no longer works. I wonder if I should increase my dose."

Cece904 October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "I took this drug for 6 months due to weight loss-no appetite-down to 75 pounds. My old insurance covered--then when new insurance was started in jan 2014, no coverage available. This was WONDERFUL!!! For the first time in my life, I was hungry, enjoyed food and was always looking forward to my next meal. I would purchase if I could afford because this was the BEST thing that could happen to me--someone who has NO appetite!! No side effects for me."

bghutch (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "Began taking this medication in April and still on it in August. I was bleeding heavily for 5 months. A biopsy revealed Hyperplasia with atypia. This medication stopped my period but gave me intense night sweats, headaches, breast pain and weight gain. I'll be having a hysterectomy in September."

Katydid22 August 6, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had heavy bleeding for several years but within the last 3 years I ended up in the Hospital twice in which I had to get several Blood Transfusions. I have only 1 Fibroid the size of a dime. I've had an DNC and Ablation surgeries. I was prescribed Megestrol in January after leaving the Hospital. I was told to take 2 pills a day instead of 4. In February when menstrual came on it has not went off since, even though it is light. So I was told to take 4 a day, no change. I am getting tired of wearing pads everyday. The side effects are some mood swings, every night about 3 times I wake up drenched in sweat. I've gained over 20lbs. I really do not want a Hysterectomy, but it seems I have no choice."

JayeD48 April 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Cancer: "I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer (very early stage) at age 40. As an alternative to hysterectomy, I tried hormone therapy: 160 mg Megace every day. endometrial thickness dropped from approximately 2 cm to a few mm in 6 months. No change in appetite. Skin oil production in the face dropped, which was great as I normally have oily skin. I had small uterine fibroids before Megace, which started to grow big and fast, which was the worst side effect."

Ayse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed 20mg. Megestrol tables by my gynecologist for heavy uterine bleeding. I was to take 2 tablets a day. By the finish of the fisrt day I had slowed down to almost nothing. I took one pill the next day and my bleeding stopped. It did it's job, but not without causing me chest pains and making me feel awful. After the three pills I stopped taking it and my bleeding has not returned nearly a week later. Chest pains stopped after I stopped taking it. My dr told me to resume use if bleeding starts up again, pending testing to see why I'm bleeding."

maryland lisa March 2, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I usually never write reviews, but this medicine was great!!! I had been bleeding for two months, heavy bleeding and clotting!!! Thought I was dying! Prior to the day I was prescribed this medicine I woke up in a pool of blood, I ran to the bathroom to clean myself up and blood clots stated coming out. My boyfriend rushed me to emergency. I was weak and exhausted from loosing so much blood over those two months. My blood levels were very low. Of course they kept me. They started on Megestrol and my bleeding slowed down that day!! After going home my bleeding was completely gone by day three. And didn't return. I just seen my OB and was inserted an IUD (Mirena) So far it sucks!"

Lady85 January 8, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "I always have been 85 pounds even when I passed my teen mark. When I went to see my Gastro doctor he prescribed this. The first month, I was finally able to eat snacks. I ate and ate. And at times I would eat too much I couldn't eat for the next meal. I gained 20 pounds, but since I didn't fill out much, my stomach got bigger instead. The side effects I had was not having a period. After my medication ran out, in 3-4 weeks. My period came but it came twice, one week skip after the other. Then I experienced servere headaches for weeks. After that came a strong depression that I could finally feel, it made me want to cry. Then I got the refill and it stopped the depression. But after I finished taking it,a daily small depression came back"

SaraHobs December 11, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Weight Loss: "My Father is elderly, disabled, debilitated & has leukemia. He was given a Rx for the liquid form of this drug by his Hematology/Oncology P.A. Off & on, this Rx was used to stimulate his appetite. We were never told of the significant risks for use by the elderly, especially for those with cancer. We were told by the P.A. that this Rx could be used as needed, intermittently, without worry. A month ago, Dad had a life-threatening event which required an ambulance ride, a week in the hospital, and now long-term use of a blood thinner. Initial evaluation in the ER & subsequent conversations with the Hospitalist, indicated the reason for the blood clots in both lungs, both legs & throughout the body was linked to this Rx."

Daddy's child (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Weight Loss: "Was losing weight like crazy, too much weight. Doc put me on megestrol , gained 25lbs in a month!! Still gaining weight. Love it."

Iron Man Rob P September 6, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "Has helped me so much. I have gained 20 lbs. In 6 weeks."

Badlands Barb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anorexia: "Has helped me so much. I have gained 20 lbs. In 6 weeks."

Badlands Barb August 12, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after Dand C.i started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger Also even hair a started falling out. Very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015