User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace ES

Megestrol has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 108 ratings on Drugs.com. 67% of those users who reviewed Megestrol reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Hot Flashes   9.3
Endometrial Hyperplasia   5.9
Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.5 108 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

DG · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

Megace ES (megestrol): “Megace makes me get hungry and look for something to eat! I gained 10 pounds since I have been on it. Works great!”

Ree February 11, 2021

For Hot Flashes: “IT CAUSES REALLY BAD NIGHT SWEATS !!!! OMG but it work very well for a weight gainer.”

Ms D · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have experienced excessive uterine bleeding for about a year now! I am 56 years old and still peri menopausal. The bleeding and clotting became unbearable! I was told early on that it was normal and a part of transitioning to menopause. I finally sought help from a gyn because I refused to believe it was normal. I was prescribed megestrol acetate, 40 mg twice a day. It was like a miracle!! The bleeding decreased immediately, and now two weeks later, I have not seen any blood at all for two consecutive days!! Yes!! I feel liberated! Heavy bleeding controls your life and I haven't felt this way since before the issue started! So I'm thinking, after reading other's experiences, maybe the dosage was too low! Ask your doctor is it possible to increase dosage to twice a day instead of once. I love this drug and am so thankful to my doctor for prescribing it!! Hope things get better for those of you who are still suffering!”

K Ellen · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Ive been on 40 mgs Megace a day for the last 3 months for endometrial hyperplasia. Im 61 years old. I'm not seeing any difference in bleeding. I had a constant period since I started and they are very heavy sometimes. I'm trying to tough it out until my next biopsy, but don't have high hopes. I've been more depressed since I've been on it too. I wish I could have the positive experience others have shared.”

Luna · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2020

For Endometrial Cancer: “I had an oophorectomy due to a tumor on one ovary and had lost so much weight and could not eat or function properly. I had increased anxiety, insomnia, and no appetite. Megace helps me sleep and I eat normally while I'm on it. It has helped me gain almost 15 pounds in three months of being on it with regular sleep and no cysts/tumors! Truly saved me!”

Mommy43 · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2020

For Weight Loss: “So I started taking Megestrol 40mg 5 mls one time a day to gain weight. No I dont have cancer/AIDS/Anorexia I simply wanted to gain weight. So my OBGYN prescribed this horrible drug with all of these chemicals/side affects and I've been bleeding every since. Before taking it my periods were normal and on time. Now I might have to get a blood transfusion because I've been bleeding for 10 days straight. I hate that I ever took this drug. I'm going to have a talk with her tomorrow and it's not going to be pretty..”

Cheeks October 7, 2020

For Anorexia: “I am a 29 year old female. I have been quite petite after having two kids (I nursed both). My metabolism is extraordinarily fast. Fast forward to a couple years later, a doctor finally found something to help me— Megastrol! The year is 2020. I started taking this medicine in August. I was weighing 97 pounds and I’m 5’2. It’s now October and I’ve already gained 10 pounds. I’m 107! I also do weight training with my husband, so my weight isn’t fat— it’s lean muscle mass! This medication gives you a huge appetite, so eat in moderation and healthy. I encourage working out if you’re able. I may not appear “thick” like most women my age but I have a very nice and toned body! The results are amazing! I notice the changes in my thighs, glutes, and arms. When I first started this, I did get occasional hot flashes and a slight feeling of nausea. Both subsided after a couple of weeks. Nothing unbearable. *My doctor gave me 1Ml dosage, twice a day.*”

Babe · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Endometrial Cancer: “On Megace for endometrial cancer and I developed blood clots in leg, fortunately I recognized it quickly and a blood thinner was prescribed. Went off of Megace immediately.”

P.A. July 29, 2020

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “I have been struggling with endometrial hyperplasia for about 5 years now. This is my first time sticking to my recommended dosage because my husband and I are trying to conceive. I definitely have cravings and find myself eating and not even hungry so it has been important for me to really get a grip on it and try intermittent fasting. My weight is a main cause of my condition I believe. Other symptoms I have experienced are very light, mild vaginal cramping. Usually like a throbbing feeling. This may happen randomly for a moment and then I might not feel anything for days. Some pelvic and abdominal cramping but again faint and not often. I have a few days of old blood discharge after my first month, 1 day of spotting into the 2nd month. Going into month 3 now. Im taking 40mg 2x a day and have a D&C at the end of Aug to follow up.”

Cshells May 13, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “After 2 years of dandc, IV iron, and blood infusions on progesterone with no help, a fill in dr wrote me a script for megestrol. It changed my life. The other one made me emotional and unreasonable, carb craving and food obsessed all day every day to where I put on 20 lbs, bloat and gas and an odd smelling discharge. On this one I have stepped down to 10mg a day from 20mg 3 times a day and its changed my life. No bleeding, no mood swings, my appetite is back to normal and the bloat is gone. It's like I'm not taking a progesterone at all. I understand that if you quit taking it, the second time doesn't work as well so unless something drastic happens I'm staying on it.”

Alisha · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2020

For Weight Loss: “The M.D at my former job put me on this medication because I’ve always been super thin, unable to get over 110 for some reason. I also have PCOS. And experience horrible periods however I started this medicine on 03/06/2020 and so far it has given me a serious appetite, and I can see a change in my weight to my face, stomach, thighs, and my butt. I’m not exactly sure how much weight as I don’t have a scale at home yet but I can certainly tell a difference. I also have not gotten my period which I was due for right after starting this medicine. No negative side effects yet, I absolutely am happy with results so far! Will keep my weight posted :)”

Slim · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

For Weight Loss: “I’m 45 years old and weight sits between 114- 120 I’ve always been slim it runs in my family. I was diagnosed with AIDS in 2011 & put on my meds. I know I’m suppose to be 140 so I asked my pain management dr for megace. My first month I went from 118 to 140 then after 3 months I’m 161 with the weight in my thighs & butt. Only side effect is no period. ”

Nogains · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

For Weight Loss: “I was put in 40 mg of megestrol a day for being underweight and having no appetite. I desperately wanted to gain weight (I’m 5’2” and 85 lb) today is day 18 of taking this drug and I have experienced no change in my appetite whatsoever. I’m still giving it 10 stars because technically weight gain is not the purpose of the drug. My side effects were headache and chest pain the first week which went away and extreme thirst at night and some light gas. Really bummed I couldn’t gain any weight on it though.”

Pdenn December 14, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I'm going through perimenopause. I had a period for 11 months straight. I ended up in the ER hemorrhaging. I was given 10 units of blood. I was passing blood clots the size of basketballs. I thought I had cancer. They gave me a DNC preparing for a emergency hysterectomy. The DNC stopped it. Praise God. They sent me home with megastrol. It worked for a few weeks until my prescription ran out. My doctor put me back on it and I continued spotting. Nothing ever heavy. She kept changing my prescription 3 weeks on one week off. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I was getting frustrated it wasn't working. It wasn't causing any bad side effects. No weight gain. I felt great. At one point I bled a regular period for 72 days straight. My doctor was going to switch my medicine. Something told me to continue to stay on megastrol. Finally after being on the pill for 4 months. It finally worked and I'm 3 cycles of a normal period. So don't give up if it doesn't work right away.”

LMD · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2019

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: “This is my story, had failed IVF. Abnormal uterine bleeding from the last miscarriage, on and off menstrual period, not heavy at all. I technically not ovulating and rarely menstruate. June 2019, I went to see RE for water ultrasound to R/U polyps, and yes my suspicious was right. Polyps removed, found advanced hyperplasia grade 1, placed on Megace 160mg daily. First month, October 2019, no bleeding, second month November, started spotting, and I called my doctors and was told it was normal. Until today, 12/9/2019, I am spotting. No heavy flow or clots. I read an article that this medication regulates period of there was amenorrhea but for those who are menopausal. So, now I am unsure at my age of 42, I am menopausal. I am very confused”

Carm December 8, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been experiencing extended cycles. I'm pretty proactive so when it lasts longer than 10 days I contact my gyn. She put me on provera which works well for the most part but sometimes spotting would return and when it's gone bleeding returns with a vengeance. Because of all that she put me on Megestrol to see if it works better. Last night was my first time. It worked quickly and the bleeding went from excessive to minimal. However, this morning full return. I've taken again and I'm waiting to see if it stops. I'm only on 20mg once a day so no side effects. I just really want the bleeding to stop and figure out why. I do have polyps and have had them removed but we suspect a return. Doing s biopsy then hopefully D&C or polypectomy. If anyone has any advice or input it's much appreciated. Thanks to all who shared. I don't want a hysterectomy. PCOS if also a high potential but no exact diagnosis”

KD November 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Feb 2017 I started having abnormal uterine bleeding. Huge clots, bright red blood. After 10 days of increased bleeding I saw my OB. I was put on Megestrol and told I needed a biopsy to clear out cancer. It was highly suggested that I get a Uterine Ablation . I did months later which did not work. I had to continue on the Megestrol. It did sometimes stop the bleeding in the very beginning but then from time to time I would get some very light bleeding. This summer I decided to stop taking the Rx to see what would happen. For about 2.5 months no bleeding and no pills! I was so excited and thought it was all behind me and then one day the blood showed up again. I tried not to panic and waited 2 days before resuming the pills. It's Nov 2019 and I am still having bleeding issues. It seems the Megestrol does not completely work anymore. I still bleed sometimes light and sometimes a little more. It's so frustrating to deal with this.”

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2019

For Weight Loss: “I was on megace for over a year. Worked well for me at first. Gained a lot of weight rapidly. I ended up having the side effects after long term use and my adrenal glands became suppressed. I was sick for a few months after that and lost some of the weight I gained.”

Aaliyah · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “After heavy bleeding for 3 weeks, doctor prescribed 40mg megestrol, once a day, for 7 days. Bleeding did not fully stop, but it was light enough to resume daily activities comfortably. I experienced increased appetite, but I have been actually losing weight. Energy levels were fine - probably better since the bleeding decreased. I also experienced some restlessness and trouble sleeping, but that could be attributed to other medical concerns on my mind.”

My miracle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Was on a straight period for 3 months, not just a regular period either. I went thru about 10-14 pads a day, and I had to double them so over 20 pads a day, heavy clots. I was white as a ghost, constantly sleeping. So I finally went to the hospital and they admitted me instantly. I had 3 blood transfusions within the first 24 hours being there, my level was a 3! I started the megace the next day and my period stopped that night. Well I just had a D&C done 4 days ago and I just started bleeding and cramping so bad. This medicine is amazing and I highly recommend it. But now I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow morning because my Dr is afraid of me losing to much blood, and I am having a partial hysterectomy (soon) . The megace actually made me loose 10lbs lbs within the first couple weeks! Also it's been 2 months I've been on the medication twice a day. I'll update after my hospital visit tomorrow.”

Anonymous August 22, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have had a heavy period all month of August. I couldn’t take it any more and went to the doctor yesterday. She prescribed megestrol and I took it standing in the pharmacy it instantly stopped my flow and I am so thankful for this med”

Reenee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “UPDATE....I went to visit my OB because as you can see in my other comment from 2019-08-01 under Reenee, I started bleeding again once I stopped and started the medicine for a 2nd time. My Dr told me to start taking 2 per day. It did stop the clotting but I still bled for a full week before it finally stopped. So it did work the 2nd time just with an extra dose and it took longer than the 1st time. The side effect were a little different the 2nd time. I was not as tired but I did have some chest pain, gas, frequent urination, maybe a UTI and I was super thirsty. End result is that I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. I am getting the Nova sure (abalation) done. My OB said its very effective and I should experience light or no bleeding at all. Fingers crossed!!!!”

Reenee August 1, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started spotting in May or June. Eventually it got heavier and heavier to the point I could not wear tampons and I had to double up on pads. I started to pass blood clots like I have never seen before. This is disgusting but it was to the point where when I was standing up I could feel something trying to exit my body and would have to run to the bathroom. I went to my OB had an ultra sound and was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia. I also had a biopsy that came back normal (no cancer). Praise the lord. I took megestrol 40mg 1x per day. It did almost work immediately however it made me soooo tired that all I wanted to do was sleep. Once the bleeding stopped I took it for about 1 more week and stopped the meds. Well here we are 3 weeks later back to same old. Taking the med again. I decided ablation may be best for me and will talk to my OB in 4 days. Hopefully it works the 2nd time. I don't want to take this anymore.”

NaTasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started the medication June 20 on my Day 2 which is normally about 150 ml or more of blood, it stopped for 12 hrs. Day 3 I took and it stopped but then came back. I stopped taking meds. By Day 12 of bleeding went to see ob and he said I wasn't taking meds right. (I only wanted to take a couple of days since I was traveling to NC and would not be able to stop every hour). Anyways, I went back to taking 40 mg a day, no more bleeding and my period is 7 days late. I figure I have 9 days of meds left maybe it will start then. Side Effects: severe stomach pains, blurred vision, dizziness, leg cramps). Good thing it has helped I was scheduled to either do ablation or hysterectomy. I normally loose 242-300 ml of blood a cycle, I use the diva cup, plus have to wear a diaper.”

CeCe · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Ever since I got on the Depo shot I've had issues. I've been bleeding heavily for months, now have blood clots & the amount of fibroids have increased. I started 40mg of megestrol once a day a week ago. It definitely slows down the bleeding but it seems to wear off. If I take it early in the morning I have no issues all during the day, barely going through a tampon, but come night time it's heavy again. I just emailed my doctor about this. Maybe I need to use it twice a day, although I don't like the idea of adding more of this chemical/hormone to my body as to not cause higher risk of side effects. I'm very much so considering ablation or even hysterectomy to just be rid of it all, I am terrified though.”