User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Megestrol.

Weight Loss

Endometrial Hyperplasia
5.7

Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.8 60 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am 46yrs old having my period 34 days and for over two weeks with extremely heavy bleeding , going through ultra tampon every hour. I also had clots the size muchin hole donuts. So My doctor put me on Megestrol 40mg once a day on 12-4 and by that evening the bleeding slowed down so much that I only had to use a panty liner for spotting. I have been taking it for only four days. I am grateful for this medication. Hopefully when I return to my doctor surgery is not an issue anymore. And this stops my period for good."

D'Ann December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "58 years old and still having a period with heavy bleeding and clots due to fibroids. FSH and estrogen test results show no sign of menopause happening soon. Starting this medication, 3 days 3 pills each day then, 2 days 2 pills each day , then next 7 days/1 pill per day. Just finished this pill cycle and no bleeding. I have a second prescription but I always want to eat on this medication and fighting not to eat all day is just wearing me out, along with chest pains and tired. And oh did I mention eating.....gained 5 pounds. Adominal Hysterectomy in 2 months."

Pepperdoggie November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia on 8/9/17 and began megestrol on 8/12/17. I slowly began experiencing common symptoms such as weight gain and increased appetite, but then I slowly started experiencing increased mood swings, irritability, insomnia, itchy body, and shortness of breath. What made me finally call the doctor on 9/19/17, was me being up at 3am with the inability to breath. I was informed to discontinue due to allergic reactions. On 9/21/17 I began with joint pain and swelling on my hands and wrists. By Friday, 9/22/17, I couldn't function for myself at all. My entire left arm and both hands were useless and I ended up in the ER where I learned this is all allergic reactions as well."

Still fighting precancer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was bleeding very heavy, I could soak through a super plus tampon and a huge after pregnancy pad within minutes. I was passing clots so big they wouldn’t fit down the shower drain. My doctor put me on 40mg of Megestrol 1x a day over 3 months ago, so far I had 2 days in a row of light spotting. I love this stuff!!!! I’m actually taking this instead of getting a full hysterectomy. My only concern is I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery about a week ago and I’ve had some pretty intense uterine pain with heavy bleeding and blood clots since. I stopped taking the Megestrol for a few days thinking nature would run it’s course, I started taking it again and the uterine pain started back up. I hope this surgery didn’t wreck Megestrol for me."

TammyByrd September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed the medication for relief of heavy bleeding during my period due to fibroids and adenomyosis. The 1st and 2nd months were wonderful! I took it the first day of my cycle until the end of my cycle. It actually stopped the bleeding completely. After the 2nd month, I had some spotting and my blood pressure elevated. I stopped taking it after my cycle and my pressure went to normal. I started spotting that increased over time and resumed but had to stop because I realized it raised my blood pressure. I've now been bleeding for 2 weeks and had to go on amlodipine to lower my blood pressure because it has not gone down."

QUETPYE June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss: "Today will be my first day to be on this medication. I am a healthy female, but need to gain weight. I will post my results soon. Weight today (05/19/2017) is 145lbs........to be continued (goal...160lbs)"

Wanna gain weight (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometrial Cancer: "320mg total of megace daily taken in 4 doses. No side effects after first few days. Want to avoid major surgery - hysterectomy. My tip is eat before you take it so you are not hungry. Eat clean food - mostly alkaline plant based. No sugar or caffeine. I feel great! Saying a prayer that each of you (and me!) can avoid major surgery and keep our female organs!"

surfergal (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed this because of heavy bleeding with my period because of a fibroid. At first I was amazed because as soon as my period started I took them and it stopped within a few hours or a day. Then I started bleeding again after two weeks. I took it again. Two weeks later, spotting again. Now my period was heavy, but it was predictable before megace. The only time I was ever late was when I was pregnant. But now, its all over the place, when I don't take the megace at the start of bleeding, it will be nonstop. I've had a light period for the past two weeks! Doesn't work anymore and causes weight gain. I hate it."

Storm1204 April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss: "Always been 80 lbs since high school. No appetite, always ate in small portions. Taken this medication before but the 1st time I took in 2011 I gained weigh but also gained esophagus spasms from all the gorging I did so it's now permanently a side effect, yay. I started taking it again Feb 22, 2017 weighed in at 80.6 lbs, as of today, March 23, 2017, I'm weighing in at 100.4. I haven't taken it in 3 days to see if I can keep the appetite and use when needed. It's a great weight gain but there are side effects. Mine include no period, no sex drive, severe cold night sweats, hot flashes, the esophagus spasms, & swelling of arms & legs when active. These are the pros that some may consider cons- constantly hyper."

AidnAizMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "About two weeks ago I had to be hospitalized because I was bleeding severely and my blood level (which I may be saying that wrong) dropped down to 5.4. I had to have a blood transfusion and they gave me several rounds of medication within two days to see what would stop the bleeding. The one that worked was the Megestrol 40 mg. It says to take 4 times daily and my doctor wants me to take the medication until my next appointment which is 04/04/2017. I stopped bleeding the day that they gave it to me and for about two days I took as instructed and now I take one pill every other day from fear that if I stop completely that the bleeding may come again. So far I have not had any issues and I've been taking for about 2 weeks now."

PorJami (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anorexia: "I have been taking Megace now since end if November 2016 and gained 34lbs so far . Never in my life did I thought I would be able to to gain that much. I look and feel so much healthier. Megace gives me appetite all day. I m able to eat my whole plate in restaurants now and eat tons of snacks throughout the day .... If you want or need to gain weight then Megace is the best."

Jeylady February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss: "I have been skinny all my life , but due some medical issues i lost some more weight and ended up at 95lbs (5'4). During my hospital stay a Nutritionist told me about Megace and said i can try it and see if it helps me. After I got out of the hospital I went to pick up the Medication and started it right away. I started by the end of November 2017 and gained over 27 lbs so far. I cant be happier.No side effects at all beside not getting my period. I definitely recommend MEGACE."

Jeylady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Got to say that this medicine was worth it so much. I was put on megestrol 20 mg for 20 days and I had no side effect to this medicine. I started taking it and by the 5th day the heavy bleeding had stop. This is the second time being put on megestrol 20mg. I know everybody has a different opinion on this medication, and for what's it worth I'm happy with the outcome every single time."

bluequeen January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anorexia: "I have been skinny all my life. My normal weight was always around 99lbs. But in 2014 I started gaining weight while I was on mirtazipine . I reached 127 lbs on my highest and I was more than happy. Unfortunately I lost the weight again after being always sick. 2 month ago I started getting really sick again and got hospitalized like a month ago with 6 different diagnosises. My weight went under 96lbs. I spoke to a nutritionist and she told me about megace and told me to ask my primary care doctor for it. After I got out of the hospital ,I went to see my doctor and prescribed it for me. Best thing ever. I been on it now for like 2 weeks and my appetite great. I m now at 110 and want 20 lbs more. It works!!!!!"

I highly recommend (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After the second week on this medication, I ER from having a 7-10 day cycle to bleeding every day with clots. The doctor increase dosage and I got worse. I stop taking it and now I'm almost always hurting. The bleeding hasn't stopped and I'm miserable. The worse thing ever was taking this medication."

mrsjaxon (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss: "After stopping the megestrol yesterday after 2 months due to loss of weight during suspected lung cancer I have had continual very loose bowel movements so far all day the following day. Is this a side effect of coming off the medicine.. If anyone else has had this experience I would like to know about it as I didn't see this as a side effect in the literature"

RayJM1936 November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "My insurance will not cover this medication for what I'm being treated for. I was prescribed this medicine for extreme weight loss."

Betty Appleton November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "For several years, I have been experiencing very heavy and clot filled periods, sometimes lasting as long as 21 days (the heavy part would occur from day 2-4) and I was bleeding past super large tampons and pads every 30 minutes (I would wear both). I was also experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath, which forced me to the hospital a few times. There were no heart issues, however, I was severely anemic and received several blood transfusions, my lowest blood level being 5.4. An ultrasound determined that I have fibroids and was prescribed megastrol acetate and although I have light daily spotting and headaches, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. When I do have a period, it's just slightly more than spotting."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started taking this medication for heavy bleeding. I was having periods that lasted 9 - 10 days it went to 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, now a month and counting. I noticed that when I skipped a dose or 2 the bleeding decreased. So I did some research and found that one of the side effects was increased bleeding. I also had night sweats and felt thirsty all the time like I was dehydrated. An ablation has been recommended but now I'm not sure if it's needed due to the side effects."

Lioness1769 October 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Weight Loss: "I had lost about 40 pounds before I started taking megestrol. I am a big eater, my body just never gained the weight. The drs had tried other medications, but none of them worked. On Oct 13, 2016, I went to the Dr and she prescribed me the megestrol. I had lost too much weight. About 3 weeks later, I had a drs appointment & had gained about 10 pounds !!! I was so happy. I finished up the rest of my prescription and went for the checkup I was to have a month after taking it. The Dr was very pleased with the results. She wrote out another prescription with refills and I plan to keep taking it. It is the only thing that has worked for me & is the generic form. Try it"

Dj2016 October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was put on Meagace 40mg tab twice a day for 60 days to stop abnormal bleeding. It worked for the first 45 days but I then began to bleed again. My doctor put me back on the medication but I am still bleeding. It no longer works. I wonder if I should increase my dose."

Cece904 October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "I took this drug for 6 months due to weight loss-no appetite-down to 75 pounds. My old insurance covered--then when new insurance was started in jan 2014, no coverage available. This was WONDERFUL!!! For the first time in my life, I was hungry, enjoyed food and was always looking forward to my next meal. I would purchase if I could afford because this was the BEST thing that could happen to me--someone who has NO appetite!! No side effects for me."

bghutch (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "Began taking this medication in April and still on it in August. I was bleeding heavily for 5 months. A biopsy revealed Hyperplasia with atypia. This medication stopped my period but gave me intense night sweats, headaches, breast pain and weight gain. I'll be having a hysterectomy in September."

Katydid22 August 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had heavy bleeding for several years but within the last 3 years I ended up in the Hospital twice in which I had to get several Blood Transfusions. I have only 1 Fibroid the size of a dime. I've had an DNC and Ablation surgeries. I was prescribed Megestrol in January after leaving the Hospital. I was told to take 2 pills a day instead of 4. In February when menstrual came on it has not went off since, even though it is light. So I was told to take 4 a day, no change. I am getting tired of wearing pads everyday. The side effects are some mood swings, every night about 3 times I wake up drenched in sweat. I've gained over 20lbs. I really do not want a Hysterectomy, but it seems I have no choice."

JayeD48 April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Cancer: "I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer (very early stage) at age 40. As an alternative to hysterectomy, I tried hormone therapy: 160 mg Megace every day. endometrial thickness dropped from approximately 2 cm to a few mm in 6 months. No change in appetite. Skin oil production in the face dropped, which was great as I normally have oily skin. I had small uterine fibroids before Megace, which started to grow big and fast, which was the worst side effect."

Ayse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016