User Reviews for Megestrol

Endometrial Hyperplasia
5.9

Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.6 70 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Prescribed for heavy bleeding with large clots. Bleeding went on for 15 days lowering my hemoglobin. I went to E.R. and was administered 3 units of blood. Megace was only thing to work to stop bleeding. That being said it has lowered my blood pressure significantly, caused stomach pain, insomnia, gas, and constipation. I am not comfortable using megace but it has stopped the bleeding. I do not like the medication and wish I could take something else"

Rebecca (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: "I have picked up some weight, not as fast and I hoped and I don't really see the results in my body weight, but the scales read different. I have increased my appetite but is very full feeling and bloated"

Pee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Anorexia: "I’ve been skinny all my life.. I’ve tried different supplements and medications to try to gain weight. Most of them put me to sleep and I didn’t want that. My physician prescribed me 40mg megestrol.. when I first went to the doctor I weighted in at 100lbs even. After 3 weeks I’m already 8lbs heavier. I want 22 more pounds though. Haven’t had many side effects so I’m going to rate it at a 9 until I gain my full 30lbs."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started this medication upon finding out I had PCOS. My OB prescribes progesterone for heavy bleeding but it did not work. I ended up going to the ER for low hemoglobin due to constant bleeding and was giving megestrol. It worked immediately but was told to stop taking if trying to have a baby. My husband and I want to try but 2 weeks after stopping my period started again. I tried taking it again to see if it would stop and 2 weeks later it hasn’t. Seems like it works the first round, after that it isn’t effective. I did gain 12 pounds very fast while on it."

Brina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia about 2 weeks ago. I actually ended up in the ER from bloodloss. I almost died. Had to have 4 blood transfusions. Had an emergency D&C and test came back complex endometrial hyperplasia. I've been on this medication 40 mg twice a day now for 2 weeks. The only things I'm experiencing are constipation, insomnia, mood changes. My dr wants me back in 3 months to do a biopsy and also get an IUD. In 3 months we will see how I'm doing. I hope it goes away because my fiance and I want to have a baby but everything has been put on hold until the dr gives is the 'okay'. I only gave 7 stars because I haven't been on it long enough or had a check up yet to see how its working. But for me its been pretty mild. -Gemini"

Gemini March 25, 2018

For Anorexia: "I have always been a small girl, never weighing over 100lbs even in my early twenties. Two years ago I went through a depression and lost so much weight and barely had an appetite. My primary care doctor prescribed this medication and It really helped. My appetite picked back up. I went from eating one meal a day to eating all 3 meals a day plus snacks. I went from 100 to 125 in about two months. After I finished the bottle I went back down, but was able to maintain a fair weight of 115lbs. It's good for any person struggling to have an appetite and to gain weight. However, side effects for me included: no period, too many bathroom runs(especially during the night), and gas! Other than that I am happy."

skinnim (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Excessive bleeding due to fibroids for 14 days. Went to my doctor he gave me this medication. My bleeding stop in 2 hours. I love this medication."

Yanick (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2018

For Hot Flashes: "Taking Luprin for prostate cancer, one side affect of the Luprin is hot flashes, using Megestrol to control hot flashes. It works for me, hot flashed reduced by 95%."

Pamonuntainboy January 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Today is January 6th 2018 hope this works because the pain meds are running out and I can't keep pulling off the road when the pain is too much to bare. "

Sand13456 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

For Endometrial Cancer: "Gained over 25 lbs. On it for uterine cancer. It helped stopped horrible bleeding before my surgery and also gave me back my appetite. Since then weight loss had been very stubborn and I became "thick" all over, the kind of fat you see on Santa's belly. My mood swings were bad, I was constantly irritated and lost my filter when it came to reacting. I was constantly tired as well, but that could have been cancer-related fatigue. It's been 8 months now since taking megestrol and I have lost maybe 10 lbs."

kapla (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am 46yrs old having my period 34 days and for over two weeks with extremely heavy bleeding , going through ultra tampon every hour. I also had clots the size muchin hole donuts. So My doctor put me on Megestrol 40mg once a day on 12-4 and by that evening the bleeding slowed down so much that I only had to use a panty liner for spotting. I have been taking it for only four days. I am grateful for this medication. Hopefully when I return to my doctor surgery is not an issue anymore. And this stops my period for good."

D'Ann December 9, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "58 years old and still having a period with heavy bleeding and clots due to fibroids. FSH and estrogen test results show no sign of menopause happening soon. Starting this medication, 3 days 3 pills each day then, 2 days 2 pills each day , then next 7 days/1 pill per day. Just finished this pill cycle and no bleeding. I have a second prescription but I always want to eat on this medication and fighting not to eat all day is just wearing me out, along with chest pains and tired. And oh did I mention eating.....gained 5 pounds. Adominal Hysterectomy in 2 months."

Pepperdoggie November 6, 2017

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia on 8/9/17 and began megestrol on 8/12/17. I slowly began experiencing common symptoms such as weight gain and increased appetite, but then I slowly started experiencing increased mood swings, irritability, insomnia, itchy body, and shortness of breath. What made me finally call the doctor on 9/19/17, was me being up at 3am with the inability to breath. I was informed to discontinue due to allergic reactions. On 9/21/17 I began with joint pain and swelling on my hands and wrists. By Friday, 9/22/17, I couldn't function for myself at all. My entire left arm and both hands were useless and I ended up in the ER where I learned this is all allergic reactions as well."

Still fighting precancer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was bleeding very heavy, I could soak through a super plus tampon and a huge after pregnancy pad within minutes. I was passing clots so big they wouldn’t fit down the shower drain. My doctor put me on 40mg of Megestrol 1x a day over 3 months ago, so far I had 2 days in a row of light spotting. I love this stuff!!!! I’m actually taking this instead of getting a full hysterectomy. My only concern is I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery about a week ago and I’ve had some pretty intense uterine pain with heavy bleeding and blood clots since. I stopped taking the Megestrol for a few days thinking nature would run it’s course, I started taking it again and the uterine pain started back up. I hope this surgery didn’t wreck Megestrol for me."

TammyByrd September 24, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed the medication for relief of heavy bleeding during my period due to fibroids and adenomyosis. The 1st and 2nd months were wonderful! I took it the first day of my cycle until the end of my cycle. It actually stopped the bleeding completely. After the 2nd month, I had some spotting and my blood pressure elevated. I stopped taking it after my cycle and my pressure went to normal. I started spotting that increased over time and resumed but had to stop because I realized it raised my blood pressure. I've now been bleeding for 2 weeks and had to go on amlodipine to lower my blood pressure because it has not gone down."

QUETPYE June 16, 2017

For Weight Loss: "Today will be my first day to be on this medication. I am a healthy female, but need to gain weight. I will post my results soon. Weight today (05/19/2017) is 145lbs........to be continued (goal...160lbs)"

Wanna gain weight (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

For Endometrial Cancer: "320mg total of megace daily taken in 4 doses. No side effects after first few days. Want to avoid major surgery - hysterectomy. My tip is eat before you take it so you are not hungry. Eat clean food - mostly alkaline plant based. No sugar or caffeine. I feel great! Saying a prayer that each of you (and me!) can avoid major surgery and keep our female organs!"

surfergal (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed this because of heavy bleeding with my period because of a fibroid. At first I was amazed because as soon as my period started I took them and it stopped within a few hours or a day. Then I started bleeding again after two weeks. I took it again. Two weeks later, spotting again. Now my period was heavy, but it was predictable before megace. The only time I was ever late was when I was pregnant. But now, its all over the place, when I don't take the megace at the start of bleeding, it will be nonstop. I've had a light period for the past two weeks! Doesn't work anymore and causes weight gain. I hate it."

Storm1204 April 1, 2017

For Weight Loss: "Always been 80 lbs since high school. No appetite, always ate in small portions. Taken this medication before but the 1st time I took in 2011 I gained weigh but also gained esophagus spasms from all the gorging I did so it's now permanently a side effect, yay. I started taking it again Feb 22, 2017 weighed in at 80.6 lbs, as of today, March 23, 2017, I'm weighing in at 100.4. I haven't taken it in 3 days to see if I can keep the appetite and use when needed. It's a great weight gain but there are side effects. Mine include no period, no sex drive, severe cold night sweats, hot flashes, the esophagus spasms, & swelling of arms & legs when active. These are the pros that some may consider cons- constantly hyper."

AidnAizMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "About two weeks ago I had to be hospitalized because I was bleeding severely and my blood level (which I may be saying that wrong) dropped down to 5.4. I had to have a blood transfusion and they gave me several rounds of medication within two days to see what would stop the bleeding. The one that worked was the Megestrol 40 mg. It says to take 4 times daily and my doctor wants me to take the medication until my next appointment which is 04/04/2017. I stopped bleeding the day that they gave it to me and for about two days I took as instructed and now I take one pill every other day from fear that if I stop completely that the bleeding may come again. So far I have not had any issues and I've been taking for about 2 weeks now."

PorJami (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

For Anorexia: "I have been taking Megace now since end if November 2016 and gained 34lbs so far . Never in my life did I thought I would be able to to gain that much. I look and feel so much healthier. Megace gives me appetite all day. I m able to eat my whole plate in restaurants now and eat tons of snacks throughout the day .... If you want or need to gain weight then Megace is the best."

Jeylady February 3, 2017

For Weight Loss: "I have been skinny all my life , but due some medical issues i lost some more weight and ended up at 95lbs (5'4). During my hospital stay a Nutritionist told me about Megace and said i can try it and see if it helps me. After I got out of the hospital I went to pick up the Medication and started it right away. I started by the end of November 2017 and gained over 27 lbs so far. I cant be happier.No side effects at all beside not getting my period. I definitely recommend MEGACE."

Jeylady (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Got to say that this medicine was worth it so much. I was put on megestrol 20 mg for 20 days and I had no side effect to this medicine. I started taking it and by the 5th day the heavy bleeding had stop. This is the second time being put on megestrol 20mg. I know everybody has a different opinion on this medication, and for what's it worth I'm happy with the outcome every single time."

bluequeen January 15, 2017

For Anorexia: "I have been skinny all my life. My normal weight was always around 99lbs. But in 2014 I started gaining weight while I was on mirtazipine . I reached 127 lbs on my highest and I was more than happy. Unfortunately I lost the weight again after being always sick. 2 month ago I started getting really sick again and got hospitalized like a month ago with 6 different diagnosises. My weight went under 96lbs. I spoke to a nutritionist and she told me about megace and told me to ask my primary care doctor for it. After I got out of the hospital ,I went to see my doctor and prescribed it for me. Best thing ever. I been on it now for like 2 weeks and my appetite great. I m now at 110 and want 20 lbs more. It works!!!!!"

I highly recommend (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After the second week on this medication, I ER from having a 7-10 day cycle to bleeding every day with clots. The doctor increase dosage and I got worse. I stop taking it and now I'm almost always hurting. The bleeding hasn't stopped and I'm miserable. The worse thing ever was taking this medication."

mrsjaxon (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016