User Reviews for Megestrol systemic

Endometrial Hyperplasia
5.9

Summary of Megestrol reviews 7.6 78 reviews

Reviews for Megestrol

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started this drug exactly 4 weeks ago for stage 1 endometrial cancer. I’ve gained 17 pounds, mostly water. Trouble breathing, wheezing terribly. 4 doctors agreed this was the only option, now they are pushing me off of the other since my side effects started. Vision is blurred and headaches are terrible. I was healthier with the cancer. This drug is horrible. It can cause scar tissue in your lungs on top of so many other things. It’s a very dangerous drug. Be careful. Pulmonologist in 2 days to go for a cat scan with contrast. This drug should be taken very seriously. The ER Dr said it could very well be a blood clot but still wouldn’t do the cat scan. Ugh! It’s frustrating. Good luck."

Caren (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

For Weight Loss: "I'm 65 yr old female, for about a year I've been losing weight, no appetite, a couple bites and I'm full I never get hungry, I went a week ago to my primary care doctor I weighed 88 lbs my doctor wrote me a prescription for megestrol acet its been a week, I weighed myself after one week now I went from 88 lbs to 94 pounds my appetite is better . Wish I could heard of this medicine sooner, my goal is 120.00 thank god for my doc"

anna October 16, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was talking Megestrol last month for bleeding associated with fibroid. It work perfectly. Bleeding stopped. I stopped taking it. Bleeding started back, I start taking again. It's not working. I have a terrible stomach ache and gas."

Lucy Pearl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed megestrol 40mg, 2 pills a day, after having a very heavy period for 3 months straight with tennis ball sized clots and horrific pelvic pain. I’m now on day two and the bleeding is almost non existent! I'm down to just some very light spotting. I will take the tummy ache, headache and gassy feeling over bleeding to the point of soaking through an ultra tampon and overnight pad in 30min. My hysterectomy will be my long term fix, but we had to stop the bleeding before the surgery. Can’t wait for October to permanently end periods once and for all."

Lovelyk86 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For Weight Loss: "I dropped from 114 lbs in February to 97 lbs July. My new doctor realized from my charts that I had went from 110 to 97 in a week because of "stress"; I am 39. Anyhow doc gave me Megastrol 20 mg 4 a day to help me gain weight and I went from 97 lbs to 123 lbs!! Its a miracle! Although the weight goes to my butt and thighs, my belly is huge also!! I am happy about my weight gain I am 5`6. Soon I am going to have to start toning up because this belly is not attractive. But this medicine does work! It took about 2 week for me to see weight gain and after that it didn't stop. I eat everything and stay hungry. Also I've dropped the dose to 2-3 a day."

justbe78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2018

For Weight Loss: "From time to time in the past 15 yrs I just start losing weight fast. Had a lot of test done and doctors find no reason why but this has been the only medicine that keeps my weight on and in control. I love this medicine. I only use it for 2 months straight out of the year every year."

Mariamer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Weight Loss: "Megace is a medication that is similar to progesterone. It is given to people who keep to losing weight relating to Aids or other illness eg anorexia. So it is used to help these people increase there appetite and weight and NOT to treat people with obesity and overweight!"

Oncologist + Obesity Medicine August 13, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Okay so my doctor put me on megestrol only after putting me on progesterone for bleeding the progesterone made me bleed like a stuck pig so she moved me to Progesterone or rather megestrol. The bleeding stopped for 2 to 3 weeks so "hello love life I'm a happy girl" just have to wait to see how much it has worked as far as my hyperplasia situation. Hopefully, I won't need a hysterectomy, anyway, for the past couple weeks the bleeding came back like a light. So "goodbye love life" and with it came heavy period pain it was almost like I was ready to give birth that's how bad the cramping is. My doctor said she has "no idea why" I'm cramping because this is not a side effect. I know there's more women out there who have the same experience I have had. Does anybody else feel like a goddamn guinea pig?"

charleneo August 12, 2018

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I do not need to gain weight as a matter of fact I was already overweight and now I'm gaining even more . Can I take something that won't make me gain so much weight ?"

Vi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Prescribed for heavy bleeding with large clots. Bleeding went on for 15 days lowering my hemoglobin. I went to E.R. and was administered 3 units of blood. Megace was only thing to work to stop bleeding. That being said it has lowered my blood pressure significantly, caused stomach pain, insomnia, gas, and constipation. I am not comfortable using megace but it has stopped the bleeding. I do not like the medication and wish I could take something else"

Rebecca (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: "I have picked up some weight, not as fast and I hoped and I don't really see the results in my body weight, but the scales read different. I have increased my appetite but is very full feeling and bloated"

Pee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Anorexia: "I’ve been skinny all my life.. I’ve tried different supplements and medications to try to gain weight. Most of them put me to sleep and I didn’t want that. My physician prescribed me 40mg megestrol.. when I first went to the doctor I weighted in at 100lbs even. After 3 weeks I’m already 8lbs heavier. I want 22 more pounds though. Haven’t had many side effects so I’m going to rate it at a 9 until I gain my full 30lbs."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started this medication upon finding out I had PCOS. My OB prescribes progesterone for heavy bleeding but it did not work. I ended up going to the ER for low hemoglobin due to constant bleeding and was giving megestrol. It worked immediately but was told to stop taking if trying to have a baby. My husband and I want to try but 2 weeks after stopping my period started again. I tried taking it again to see if it would stop and 2 weeks later it hasn’t. Seems like it works the first round, after that it isn’t effective. I did gain 12 pounds very fast while on it."

Brina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia about 2 weeks ago. I actually ended up in the ER from bloodloss. I almost died. Had to have 4 blood transfusions. Had an emergency D&C and test came back complex endometrial hyperplasia. I've been on this medication 40 mg twice a day now for 2 weeks. The only things I'm experiencing are constipation, insomnia, mood changes. My dr wants me back in 3 months to do a biopsy and also get an IUD. In 3 months we will see how I'm doing. I hope it goes away because my fiance and I want to have a baby but everything has been put on hold until the dr gives is the 'okay'. I only gave 7 stars because I haven't been on it long enough or had a check up yet to see how its working. But for me its been pretty mild. -Gemini"

Gemini March 25, 2018

For Anorexia: "I have always been a small girl, never weighing over 100lbs even in my early twenties. Two years ago I went through a depression and lost so much weight and barely had an appetite. My primary care doctor prescribed this medication and It really helped. My appetite picked back up. I went from eating one meal a day to eating all 3 meals a day plus snacks. I went from 100 to 125 in about two months. After I finished the bottle I went back down, but was able to maintain a fair weight of 115lbs. It's good for any person struggling to have an appetite and to gain weight. However, side effects for me included: no period, too many bathroom runs(especially during the night), and gas! Other than that I am happy."

skinnim (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Excessive bleeding due to fibroids for 14 days. Went to my doctor he gave me this medication. My bleeding stop in 2 hours. I love this medication."

Yanick (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2018

For Hot Flashes: "Taking Luprin for prostate cancer, one side affect of the Luprin is hot flashes, using Megestrol to control hot flashes. It works for me, hot flashed reduced by 95%."

Pamonuntainboy January 9, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Today is January 6th 2018 hope this works because the pain meds are running out and I can't keep pulling off the road when the pain is too much to bare. "

Sand13456 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

For Endometrial Cancer: "Gained over 25 lbs. On it for uterine cancer. It helped stopped horrible bleeding before my surgery and also gave me back my appetite. Since then weight loss had been very stubborn and I became "thick" all over, the kind of fat you see on Santa's belly. My mood swings were bad, I was constantly irritated and lost my filter when it came to reacting. I was constantly tired as well, but that could have been cancer-related fatigue. It's been 8 months now since taking megestrol and I have lost maybe 10 lbs."

kapla (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am 46yrs old having my period 34 days and for over two weeks with extremely heavy bleeding , going through ultra tampon every hour. I also had clots the size muchin hole donuts. So My doctor put me on Megestrol 40mg once a day on 12-4 and by that evening the bleeding slowed down so much that I only had to use a panty liner for spotting. I have been taking it for only four days. I am grateful for this medication. Hopefully when I return to my doctor surgery is not an issue anymore. And this stops my period for good."

D'Ann December 9, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "58 years old and still having a period with heavy bleeding and clots due to fibroids. FSH and estrogen test results show no sign of menopause happening soon. Starting this medication, 3 days 3 pills each day then, 2 days 2 pills each day , then next 7 days/1 pill per day. Just finished this pill cycle and no bleeding. I have a second prescription but I always want to eat on this medication and fighting not to eat all day is just wearing me out, along with chest pains and tired. And oh did I mention eating.....gained 5 pounds. Adominal Hysterectomy in 2 months."

Pepperdoggie November 6, 2017

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I was diagnosed with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia on 8/9/17 and began megestrol on 8/12/17. I slowly began experiencing common symptoms such as weight gain and increased appetite, but then I slowly started experiencing increased mood swings, irritability, insomnia, itchy body, and shortness of breath. What made me finally call the doctor on 9/19/17, was me being up at 3am with the inability to breath. I was informed to discontinue due to allergic reactions. On 9/21/17 I began with joint pain and swelling on my hands and wrists. By Friday, 9/22/17, I couldn't function for myself at all. My entire left arm and both hands were useless and I ended up in the ER where I learned this is all allergic reactions as well."

Still fighting precancer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was bleeding very heavy, I could soak through a super plus tampon and a huge after pregnancy pad within minutes. I was passing clots so big they wouldn’t fit down the shower drain. My doctor put me on 40mg of Megestrol 1x a day over 3 months ago, so far I had 2 days in a row of light spotting. I love this stuff!!!! I’m actually taking this instead of getting a full hysterectomy. My only concern is I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery about a week ago and I’ve had some pretty intense uterine pain with heavy bleeding and blood clots since. I stopped taking the Megestrol for a few days thinking nature would run it’s course, I started taking it again and the uterine pain started back up. I hope this surgery didn’t wreck Megestrol for me."

TammyByrd September 24, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed the medication for relief of heavy bleeding during my period due to fibroids and adenomyosis. The 1st and 2nd months were wonderful! I took it the first day of my cycle until the end of my cycle. It actually stopped the bleeding completely. After the 2nd month, I had some spotting and my blood pressure elevated. I stopped taking it after my cycle and my pressure went to normal. I started spotting that increased over time and resumed but had to stop because I realized it raised my blood pressure. I've now been bleeding for 2 weeks and had to go on amlodipine to lower my blood pressure because it has not gone down."

QUETPYE June 16, 2017

For Weight Loss: "Today will be my first day to be on this medication. I am a healthy female, but need to gain weight. I will post my results soon. Weight today (05/19/2017) is 145lbs........to be continued (goal...160lbs)"

Wanna gain weight (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017