User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Megestrol Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Megestrol to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I was prescribed this because of heavy bleeding with my period because of a fibroid. At first I was amazed because as soon as my period started I took them and it stopped within a few hours or a day. Then I started bleeding again after two weeks. I took it again. Two weeks later, spotting again. Now my period was heavy, but it was predictable before megace. The only time I was ever late was when I was pregnant. But now, its all over the place, when I don't take the megace at the start of bleeding, it will be nonstop. I've had a light period for the past two weeks! Doesn't work anymore and causes weight gain. I hate it."

Storm1204 April 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"About two weeks ago I had to be hospitalized because I was bleeding severely and my blood level (which I may be saying that wrong) dropped down to 5.4. I had to have a blood transfusion and they gave me several rounds of medication within two days to see what would stop the bleeding. The one that worked was the Megestrol 40 mg. It says to take 4 times daily and my doctor wants me to take the medication until my next appointment which is 04/04/2017. I stopped bleeding the day that they gave it to me and for about two days I took as instructed and now I take one pill every other day from fear that if I stop completely that the bleeding may come again. So far I have not had any issues and I've been taking for about 2 weeks now."

PorJami (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got to say that this medicine was worth it so much. I was put on megestrol 20 mg for 20 days and I had no side effect to this medicine. I started taking it and by the 5th day the heavy bleeding had stop. This is the second time being put on megestrol 20mg. I know everybody has a different opinion on this medication, and for what's it worth I'm happy with the outcome every single time."

bluequeen January 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After the second week on this medication, I ER from having a 7-10 day cycle to bleeding every day with clots. The doctor increase dosage and I got worse. I stop taking it and now I'm almost always hurting. The bleeding hasn't stopped and I'm miserable. The worse thing ever was taking this medication."

mrsjaxon (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For several years, I have been experiencing very heavy and clot filled periods, sometimes lasting as long as 21 days (the heavy part would occur from day 2-4) and I was bleeding past super large tampons and pads every 30 minutes (I would wear both). I was also experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath, which forced me to the hospital a few times. There were no heart issues, however, I was severely anemic and received several blood transfusions, my lowest blood level being 5.4. An ultrasound determined that I have fibroids and was prescribed megastrol acetate and although I have light daily spotting and headaches, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. When I do have a period, it's just slightly more than spotting."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this medication for heavy bleeding. I was having periods that lasted 9 - 10 days it went to 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, now a month and counting. I noticed that when I skipped a dose or 2 the bleeding decreased. So I did some research and found that one of the side effects was increased bleeding. I also had night sweats and felt thirsty all the time like I was dehydrated. An ablation has been recommended but now I'm not sure if it's needed due to the side effects."

Lioness1769 October 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Meagace 40mg tab twice a day for 60 days to stop abnormal bleeding. It worked for the first 45 days but I then began to bleed again. My doctor put me back on the medication but I am still bleeding. It no longer works. I wonder if I should increase my dose."

Cece904 October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had heavy bleeding for several years but within the last 3 years I ended up in the Hospital twice in which I had to get several Blood Transfusions. I have only 1 Fibroid the size of a dime. I've had an DNC and Ablation surgeries. I was prescribed Megestrol in January after leaving the Hospital. I was told to take 2 pills a day instead of 4. In February when menstrual came on it has not went off since, even though it is light. So I was told to take 4 a day, no change. I am getting tired of wearing pads everyday. The side effects are some mood swings, every night about 3 times I wake up drenched in sweat. I've gained over 20lbs. I really do not want a Hysterectomy, but it seems I have no choice."

JayeD48 April 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 20mg. Megestrol tables by my gynecologist for heavy uterine bleeding. I was to take 2 tablets a day. By the finish of the fisrt day I had slowed down to almost nothing. I took one pill the next day and my bleeding stopped. It did it's job, but not without causing me chest pains and making me feel awful. After the three pills I stopped taking it and my bleeding has not returned nearly a week later. Chest pains stopped after I stopped taking it. My dr told me to resume use if bleeding starts up again, pending testing to see why I'm bleeding."

maryland lisa March 2, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I usually never write reviews, but this medicine was great!!! I had been bleeding for two months, heavy bleeding and clotting!!! Thought I was dying! Prior to the day I was prescribed this medicine I woke up in a pool of blood, I ran to the bathroom to clean myself up and blood clots stated coming out. My boyfriend rushed me to emergency. I was weak and exhausted from loosing so much blood over those two months. My blood levels were very low. Of course they kept me. They started on Megestrol and my bleeding slowed down that day!! After going home my bleeding was completely gone by day three. And didn't return. I just seen my OB and was inserted an IUD (Mirena) So far it sucks!"

Lady85 January 8, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after Dand C.i started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger Also even hair a started falling out. Very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after D&C. I started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger. Even my hair started falling out..very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have large fibroids and had such heavy bleeding that I had to have a blood transfusion. I have been taking Megestrol for 7 months and it has reduced my period to just spotting for a few days. A God send, since my iron and blood levels have gone up to normal. I cut the dose in half to 200 mg/day and it still works. Unfortunately, I have experienced weight gain, depression, fleeting pains in my body, worsened vision, joint stiffness, and more susceptibility to Candida. On the higher dose (400mg/day), I had some spontaneous bruising and ankle swelling. I am having a hysterectomy soon and will stop using this but thankfully the benefits outweighed the risks for me--at least short term."

JulieinColorado April 22, 2014

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2012

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began using this medicine after having very heavy bleeding for 2 month straight. My periods were pretty regular until then. I was in tears when I went to see my doctor. He gave me this pill and it stopped the bleeding within 1 day. It was great. Took it for about 5 days. It has now been 4 weeks and have not seen a sign of its return. I did not have any severe side effects on it except that I was a little emotionally edgy for about 3 days or so. I just kept to myself and made no important decisions for the week. Hope this helps."

Ame3 August 25, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Megace (megestrol): "I have been on Megace for the past three months. I have just finished it and have had no side effects at all except a little rash under my left breast line but that could also be the dry electrical heating as well but otherwise I haven't any breakthrough bleeding or weight gain or anything else. I go back to my doctor on March 20th, 2009 in two weeks and we will see what she says. I guess I went to her because of severe lower back aches and frequent bleeding as well as a lot of abdominal pain. I had no problems at all on Megace."

Bonnie-Lynn March 4, 2009

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Megace (megestrol): "For abnormal bleeding with no known cause this medicine has been a God send for me. Instead of having my period 365 days a year, I don't get any now."

Anonymous November 14, 2008