User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 2 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 397 reviews 162 medications

3.8
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 976 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Absolutely shocking, would not recommend to anyone due to the side effects of its use. I am 2 months into my first shot and have gained 5 pounds (my weight has not changed in years and I have maintained a good diet etc). Got my first ever spots on my face and the general condition of the skin on my face has worsened. Since using the injection I feel more tired, restless and have no energy. I have been feeling emotional, angry and depressed all the time. To conclude, although a small amount of users get on really well with this method of contraception, it is no way worth the risk of finding out if it will work for you as once you have had the injection it cannot be reversed unlike the contraceptive patch/pill for example."

Eli1923429 July 26, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm 13 years old and about 2 MO the ago I got the depo shot the first month was good I had my period fine!7days as I usually got but then in the second month my period bled out to 2 weeks and I stopped bleeding for two days after that, since then I've been bleeding non stop it's been 4 weeks that I'm bleeding now I'm a week away from my new shot but from what I'm seeing in reviews I don't want to go back and get it, I've had sex while bleeding because like they said I was only spotting I'd wake up and I'd have sex in the afternoon right after sex I would start bleeding, I'd wake up fine and then when I feel a wet spot hours later I'M BLEEDING! I'm only 13 I never plan on reproducing but now I'm scared of Birth control and will not go on it!"

Jayla (brooklyn) July 26, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I had to switch my birth control to a different one because the Depo shot made me gain so much weight and I had continuous on and off spotting for a week and i kept getting this pain in both my legs and could get ride of the pain so I would not recommend this birth control to anyone"

Destany159 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Worst experience of my life. Three months of bleeding, constant cramping, acne on my back (which I've never had in 24 years), and lightheadedness. Despite the terrible side effects, it ended up being pointless because why would I want to have sex when I'm constantly bleeding."

Ddddd12345 July 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "So far so good. Haven't had any problems within the first 2 months. Definatly going to carry on the shot :)"

Emily8303959 July 25, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I was on Depo Provera shot for 1.5 years before wanting to change to natural family planning. After getting off the shot, I had no period for 1 year. Doc prescribed Provera. I DID NOT BLEED. Three months later. I became pregnant. I miscarried around 5 weeks. It was a natural miscarriage. Waited two months still no period. Went back to doc. Prescribed Provera 10 mg for 10 days (again), currently bleeding on day one after the last pill. I recommend this medicine. It does jump start the cycle. And I believe that helped me ovulate during the first cycle even though I did not have a period with it. Never lose hope if you are trying to conceive or simply just bring back a regular cycle so that you can feel like a "normal" woman."

Reese313 July 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had problems with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) fainting around my period. I was tested negative for anemic. The doctors tested everything and everything was negative. I started the shot in March and it is now July and I gain 10ish pounds (which is common) and have not fainted at all! Great medicine. Works different for everybody."

Marie899 July 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Honestly, would not recommend. It sounded like a pretty good deal; not having to take pills, potentially losing a period but it caused more trouble than good. I went from having clear skin (rarely a zit) to the worst acne of my entire life all over my face and back, weight gain (while running 3-4 miles 5 times a week), and non stop spotting and two week long periods. Just started back on the pill today, and hoping all the side effects go. Good luck!"

Megan2222 July 24, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I went off of depo 2 years and 7 months ago. I can not have a period on my own, so I no longer ovulated. We have been seeing a fertility doctor for 7 months. I can only have a period and ovulate with medication, but we have still had no luck. The only thing they can find wrong with me is the shot. I'm so upset I may never be able to have another child. Do not take this if you ever want to have children. That's not including the side effects during: severe weight gain, mood swings"

Can't get pregnant (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the depo shot for 6 months so 2 injections and my experience was over all good it was very effective in preventing pregnancy i had unprotected sex and did not get pregnant. However while on the depo shot over 6 months i gained 45 pounds! I went from being 120lbs to 165lbs from october to april it was crazy it worked very very well and was extremely easy to get and the injection mildly hurt but the weight gain is the reason i stopped getting it."

Nickyeastman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Took this form of birth control because it was safe while breastfeeding. This was very easy one shot good for 3 months but I experienced the worst side effects, weight gain, cramping, and spotting for almost 2 months straight."

Newaprilmom July 18, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Depo has been AWFUL,I had my child February 2016,bled that whole month frombthe baby,then had my regular period,started the shot in April and have bled every day since,its now July 17. I'm almost on my second pack of lo loestrin and it still hasn't stopped. "

Ammssxxo July 17, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on the depo shot for 7 years. I was 120lb when I started and now I'm 192lb.. I have constantly tried to loose weight and can't... I'm 24 years old and have experienced a lot of the side effects.. Weight gain ,hair loss, mood swings joint and muscle pain, constant headaches and dizzy, no sex drive at all and more.. The first three year I had spotting every now and then and would some times bleed for 12 days straight.. And then I was only getting a period once a year....I just recently stopped the depo shot after getting a lap procedure done ... I was told that I may not ever be able to have kids because of how long I was on the depo. Others say it may take 2 years... I decided to stop now in case there might still be a chance"

Mrk1213 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm a 31 year old diagnosed with PCOS. I've been having irregular periods since the age of 15. They put me on birth control which regulated them. Now older they are worried about my blood pressure and blood clots. The longest I've gone without a period is a year and a half. The last 3 months ive had spotting everyday. Dr put me on Provera 10 pills every 3 months. I got my period on the 4th day of taking pills and am now dealing with debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding and clotting bigger than quarter size. I bleed through a tampon and pad every hour. Had to leave work early today because I bled through my pants in a matter of 30 minutes. It's been like this for 3 days and is unbearable. When will it end?"

Kookygrl21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have been bleeding for almost 4 months. I did not get the second shot because the bleeding, I hope it stops soon since I didn't get the second shot. Worst experience ever"

Suzyq12 July 13, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Ive been taking this shot since April 2016 and i swear i started bleeding June 4 and i havent stopped. I have jabbing pain all the time. I never know when Im going to need a pad. I may go half the day without any bleeding and then then go to the bathroom and bam blood. I recommend not getting this thing it is absolutely awful :("

Babyblue30 July 12, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I'm 18 and had very regular periods every month for 4 years and they stopped for no reason. Played the wait game & before I knew it 3 whole years has passed. 5 day 10mg provera challenge starting July 1st and on July 9th, 4 days after my last pill got my period. Not a terrible period for me like everyone else. A little heavy, mild cramping but my periods use to be worse. Also, does anybody know if it's true if my periods come back on their own after 3 provera cycles? Read that a few places but idk if it's true."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "my updated I wrote on here before.... well I been taking Provera from February til June my periods always come on time or a day early it was making my cycle day 30-32-33 but now I supposed to get my period now it not coming on I'm on day 5 off the pill and that when it come on early in the morning but nothing I thought I was clear of pregnancy I DD 10 days before my next period with was about 3 weeks after my last period . ."

LashayW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've had this medication for a couple of days and my period stopped like normal! I haven't had any bleeding what so ever yet or any of the bad side effects emotionally at all! I think this birth control will work for me for sure. The shot is very convenient (and not as painful as I thought) as a 18 year old who is horrible at taking pills every day. Plus it's free for me so that's great! Hopefully it will not cause my body any issues!"

MarissaJade July 11, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on Depo-Provera for 15 months and the only negative side effect I experienced was weight gain, which is why I recently stopped. I loved the ease of the whole process and the high efficacy of the drug. I had 2 periods my entire time on the shot (yay!), didn't spot, it didn't break me out, didn't mess with my mood, BUT I gained a lot of weight (which did plateau). When I got off, I immediately got my period and my skin broke out worse than it has in the last year. I also am experiencing a definite decrease in energy. Overall, I recommend the shot and I may go back on it in the future, but pay attention to your side effects!"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I was on birth control for 8 months when my husband and I decided to try and get pregnant. I stopped taking birth control mid March, I started taking prenatal vitamins mid march, and one and a half months later I still never got my period so I decided to go see my obgyn. She did blood work and everything came out normal so she decided to put me on provera once every day for 10 days. Three days after finishing provera I started my period and it lasted 7 days. After I finished my period on June 6th my husband and I were sexually active and my cycle should've started around June 30th but I still haven't started my period so first thing this morning I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I dont know what's going on..."

Ms.Quintana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have bled 60+ days. I am on day two of provera. The nausea, cramping, diarrhea, bloating, and vaginal dryness is horrible, I have stopped bleeding though. I am scheduled for 10mg for 10 days for the next three months."

Emily1234 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Getting off the depo... Ever since I've got it, I've had horrible headaches every single day, the only thing that helps is Exedrin Migraine. I've gained 20+ pounds & im extremely moody & tired all the time & I spit out of nowhere. I loved the shot at first but I'm getting off of it."

fieldhockey2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been using the depo shot on and off for about 5 years now. I got off it a few years ago due to the increase in weight gain that I got. so I switched to the pill. after a while I decided to go back onto the depo shot. in February 2016, I received my first dosage and everything was fine. near the end of April I began to get my period again, just figuring I needed to go back in for my next injection. after I got my second dose, my period has not gone away since APRIL. I have been bleeding for over 3 months now and I just cannot deal with it anymore. my doctor won't do anything about it besides tell me to wait out the three months for the depo to leave my system. well here I am... 3 months later and bleeding heavier than ever."

mishhhhhhh July 6, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This was the biggest mistake of my life. My doctor and I thought it might help balance out my hormones and help my migraines. It did the opposite. I had migraines for days on end with no relief not even form sleep. My skin has been clear with the occasional pimple. My entire face is now covered with acne and my back. My period was more painful than ever the one time I had it on the shot. It caused back and hip pains. I also gained 25 pounds. I only got the shit once. it's been 5 months and I'm still waiting for it to leave my system completely."

sguzy July 6, 2016