User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Depo-Provera, Provera, depo-subQ provera 104

Medroxyprogesterone has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 2,177 ratings on Drugs.com. 31% of those users who reviewed Medroxyprogesterone reported a positive effect, while 51% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Renal Cell Carcinoma  Off-label
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 4.5 2,177 reviews

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Gillianm89 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got the depo injection on the 7th of November 2020 , and almost started bleeding straight away . I got this injection after having my son and not wanting to fall pregnant again so quick. Never had any issues with my periods until this rotten jag . I have not stopped bleeding since the day after I got this jag (now in June 2021) . It’s been absolutely terrible every day I’m in tears as I just wish it would stop . If anyone knows of any remedy’s etc I have had bloods etc taken doctors don’t know why. There just seems to be no answers”

gillebro June 5, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've found these comments very comforting while I've been on this birth control, so I thought I'd share my own experience in the hope that it will help others. I got this birth control for the first time at around Nov/Dec last year. I had my third injection a month or so ago. I find that I might get a few weeks' blessed relief from spotting/bleeding, but then it starts up again and gets progressively heavier. With the last one, I bled for a week or so after getting it (including passing some quarter-sized clots) then it calmed down for maybe two weeks? And now it's starting again. My bleeding pattern is quite interesting. I find I get a heavy whoosh of bleeding ( with cramps and clots and everything) for maybe an hour each day at around midday, then not much the rest of the time. This hasn't been worth it. The stress and the worry that comes from wondering if the bleeding is normal etc is too much. I'll be asking to go off it and just not have penetrative sex until we're ready to conceive.”

jma2112 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: “I would NOT recommend this birth control. I was not aware of the effects I would have when coming off Depo-Provera. I did well on the injections (I had 3 injections) but when I came off of it I was a completely different person. I am anxious, can’t think clear, and have major mood swings. I have never been the type to be anxious about anything. I’ve always been a happy person. The only good thing about it was that it completely prevents pregnancy. I would strongly suggest starting on the pill or any other contraceptive. Everyone’s body is different and can react in a different way, but I would not risk starting this method when there are much better options.”

AB · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on Depo for 10 years without missing a injection. I had no side effects and LOVED not having a period. Something in the drug has obviously been altered because I'm having a period now, and nothing else in my routine has changed. This began around February/March of this year (2020). I've still continued to get the injection, but am questioning what exactly has happened to the drug and why patients have not been informed about any changes to the drug.”

JosieL84 January 23, 2020

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: “A drug I can rely on! I always get my period within 5 days of stopping Provera 10mg x 5 days. This time, it came on the morning of day 4. But get your diapers ready! It is extremely bloody! I am thankful for it kickstarting my cycle in hopes of a positive Frozen Embryo Transfer! I don't mind the heavy bleed and cramping. When you have infertility and amennorhea, a period can be a blessing, it can mean new hope for the coming cycle (I am a glass half full type person!)”

GG February 15, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on Depo Provera for 22 years. After my very first injection 22 years ago, I have had zero periods and zero breakthrough bleeding. Zero side effects. Nothing. This has been a blessing. I had my last Depo Shot on 1/12/21. My next one is not due until 3/30/21. Today I wake up and have bleeding. While I realize that this can be due to other causes, I was just reading that there are others experiencing this. Perhaps there is something wrong with a batch of the medication? Will see what happens from here and keep an eye on it.”

Mandy December 15, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: “I missed my period for 3 months and was very worried and didn’t know what was going on in my system but after Provera for 10 days I didn’t start my period. But then after another 5 days my period just started. Just have patience after taking this drug - it really effective. I hope this helps someone”

Christina d. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I can't believe all the reviews I'm reading about the shot making you bleed for weeks or even months because now its happening to me. I got the shot for the first time in late April and I started to bleed about 2 and a half weeks ago. And I'm still bleeding. This really sucks. Being on a period everyday is not what I signed up for. I will NOT be getting it again and I just want my period to go back to normal. Would NOT recommend getting this to anyone!”

Ms.Queen · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I feel better knowing I'm not going through this horrible experience of Depo-provera alone. I loved the depo just because I didn't have periods over 5 years using this shot. And now to bleed every day longer than 10 days is very depressing. I would like to know what I can do to make this bleeding stop. This can't be healthy”

GG January 4, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been on Depo-Provera for over a decade with no side effects, no periods or breakthrough bleeding. I have never missed an injection, however 3 weeks before my next injection I'm bleeding. This is an unwelcome, painful surprise because I've been without a period for as long as I've been on this birth control which has been almost 14 years. Something has changed with the medication”

Amanda · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got on the shot in early Nov 2019, it's now Feb 27th and I have been on a period since. Not a light period but a heavy "blood clot" type one. I'll never get this shot again, and I will not recommend it to anyone.”

Bananamom · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I took Depo-Provera injection many years ago. I never had a period or spotting from the first shot. I was on it for 6 years no issues other than weight gain. I got the shot again on September 10, 2020. I started bleeding 10 days ago. The cramps are extreme to the point I don't want to get out of bed. Which is not possible, I have 3 children age 8, 2, and 1 and a stay at home mom. Over the counter medication does not help with pain. There are too many of us experiencing the same things and a lot of us have already taken depo before with no issues.”

emma · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “So I've been on this Depo-Provera shot since I was 16. I’m 18 now. I haven’t bleed on my period for 2 years. This past week I started to spot. Now I'm getting really heavy bleeding that’s bright red. It’s just a little odd that I’ve been on it for 2 years and haven’t bled at all and now all of the sudden I am. I am not sure if this is normal or not.”

Cry Baby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Well I now know why this is a method of birth control....CUZ u won’t stop bleeding enough to be able to have sex!!!! Day 32 bleeding and counting.”

OverTired · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been currently taking Provera 10mg for about 28 days now. At first it stopped the bleeding all together for the first week. Then I started to spot again and bleed. Now the bleeding is getting progressively heavier and the clots are getting larger, like they are huge. This is a nightmare. I'm having to empty my 25ml menstrual cup every hour or two. Hoping to get ahold of my OB by Monday. I'm feeling very weak and I have lots of cramping.”

Keke · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I been on depo-provera for 20 years and was very happy but then when I love to out of state last year I start bleeding. I been bleeding for over 2 years now and I am so depress over this annoyance and my hubby is to. I really want sex but with the blood clots and non-stop bleeding I feel like I'm going crazy. I have tired everything the doctor has giving me bit it just won't stop and I'm sick of it. I'm mad and wish this bleeding just go away so I can try and be happy and work on my depression. Somebody please help me to stop this bleeding 2 years is too much.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: “I took Provera for 10 days at a dose of 10mg a day, prescribed by my fertility doctor with intentions to induce my period. My period was always regular up until recently. The side effects while on this drug were some pretty bad, mood swings, mild cramps on and off and breast soreness. A week after the dose ended and I still hadn’t gotten my period. Low and behold it arrived this morning. Thanks to this drug we can now continue our fertility journey. Have patience- it can really work. Now I’ve got a heavy period with horrid cramps- but it’s worth it!!!”

Connie June 22, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: “I have PCOS and my doctor prescribed me with Provera for 14 days, 10mg per day and was told by my doctor that it will help me regulate my period. I remember taking it on May 17 and I was on it till May 31. I was told that I was gonna get my period after 3 days. I didn’t get it after that but I had light spotting a couple days after. I called my doctor she said I should get it very soon. Finally it came on June 9th it was still very light, days has passed and it started to get heavier. It’s June 21 now and I’m still bleeding. I have called my doctor to check with her if this is serious as I had never bled this much before of course it was very alarming. She told me that I had to wait until it subside and have an ultrasound. I am also experiencing mood changes, breakouts, cramps, breast tenderness, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and headaches, the side effects are not so bad but my main concern is the long period. Did anyone else had the same experience?”

JNK · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was on depo from 2008-2011 with zero side effects. My periods were gone completely after the first shot and I had no weight gain and minimal mood swings. Fast forward to July 2020, all finished having children I got the shot again. I’ve now been bleeding heavily everyday for three weeks straight. Looking at this review forum makes me think the manufacturer made a change in early 2019 that quite obviously is not working with the majority of women’s menstruation. Who wants to bleed every day for a year?! NO ONE. I WILL NEVER GET THIS SHOT EVER AGAIN. NEVER.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on this med several times , I am 48 years old going through menopause and have had abnormal bleeding off and on for 2 years. From what I understand 10 days on this med is not going to make you stop bleeding. What it does is "clean" you out first before it thins the lining enough to stop the bleeding. When I take it I bleed worse for a couple weeks, clots come out and then it stops and stays stopped so all the ladies taking it for 10 days give it more time please. The cramps are bad during the "cleaning" phase also but trust me it will get better.”

Gladys · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: “I only see the negative sides effects of depo-provera being listed. Well I started the depo mid last year (2019) and so far so good I haven't hard any challenges or side effects while on it. Before the injection I used to bleed heavily with painful cramps but since I started this, no cramps with lighter bleeding that lasts for up to 3 days. Mind you before I used to bleed for seven days. I think it's all about ones body just because it failed on you doesn't mean it will fail on another person, people are different”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Worst contraceptive ever. I had my first depo shot on the 9th of Jan. Approximately two weeks after I started spotting and then bleeding heavily. I am so mad that my doctor never indicated or told me about any of these side effects. I will not be going back for a second injection. Now, I feel like I am on a permanent menstrual cycle. If any of you ladies are really wanting to do something about this horrible drug, report it to the FDA. And also to Pfizer on their website. I believe this drug needs to be removed from the market. I don't think any woman wants to keep bleeding for months on end at a time.”

Summer2012 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got the Depo-Provera in January - the only one I had. My heavy bleeding started the very next day and now 5 and a half months down the line I am still bleeding a heavy period everyday!! Doctors can not work out why or what is going on !!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been on depo for TWENTY years and today have a full blown period. I mean, horrible cramping and all. I have never once had breakthrough bleeding or even a drop in 20 years. I received my injection on Jan 4th.”

Rachel · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I feel like everyone who left reviews here only left negative ones. But for me the provera pill helped me so much. I kept bleeding after my miscarriage at 8 weeks, for about 8 weeks - the bleeding was severe towards the end and I've had enough. My doctor gave me a 14 day supply of provera and I stopped bleeding after 1 pill. My cycle has been reset now, so this worked for me very well.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2021

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had heavy than usual periods, passing multiple clots. It finally sent me to the hospital to where I had to have a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin levels were at 4.7 and the should have been at 15. My GP said I should really see my OB/GYN. I took an ultrasound found out that I have multiple fibroids is the reason I was bleeding heavy. She gave me Provera to slow the bleeding. I take 10mg 2X a day only when my periods start . It has slowed to a crawl. This is a miracle, it’s working for me so far. I hope it continues to work.”

Vick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I’ve took depo awhile back when I was around 17/18 , I’ve never experienced bleeding like this I recently got the Depo-Provera injection again because I have really horrible periods and extreme cramps, so I decided that I would go back on depo it was the worst thing I ever did. I experienced light spotting when I receive my first injection but I went in for my second around July 2020 and I’m still bleeding non stop and it’s getting very overwhelming because I can’t have sex with my boyfriend or if I do I have to take a shower first it’s really annoying I don’t recommend it to anyone you’ll be depressed for months”

TIREDofBEINGprego · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started the depo at my 6 weeks check up after my 4th child. I get it every 3 months and have received in total 3 shots so far. I have been bleeding with a light period ever since the day I first got it. It's not as heavy as my usual period but it's enough to have to always wear a pad..”