User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
3.4

Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 4.9 1,457 reviews

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Depo was very effective for birth control. I was on the shot for six years. Never had one period. I did have weight gain. Unfortunately when I did go off the shot. At the age of forty. I never did have a period again. I am very grateful for not having periods. BUT if I had been younger and wanting to have more children. That would have been devastating!"

Ladybug (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2018

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "So I finished my 10 treatment on the 13th of this month let me start by saying oh my goodness. I really thought something was wrong with me the cramping - the CRAMPING was horrible, extremely painful I missed a day of work it was so bad. Then the bleeding like I couldn't believe I had this much I had to buy 2nd box of tampons and pads UGHHHHH. I'm on my 9th day of bleeding and its flowing like a faucet. I am just ready for it to go off my goodness."

Wanda June 17, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Bled for 3 months straight. As soon as I got it, I felt like a 5 whales were sitting on me. NEVER AGAIN!"

Cait Chris June 13, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I'm 21 I took my first shot of depo October 2017 and was supposed to go back January 2018 but didn’t end up going because I had way too many side effects that I didn’t like. The first month was okay and I was told it would stop my period so I thought that’s what was happening because I didn’t have a period the first month. Around the 5th of the next month I had a period and I assumed it was starting my cycle completely over but the bleeding didn’t stop it just went from a regular period to spotting. Sex drive was completely gone, my appetite changed, I had mood swings (I’m just a moody person naturally) the spotting would stop for 4 or 5 days and come back and last like 2 weeks. Wish I would have done research before I got it. The bleeding stopped around February, my periods still weren’t regular and I don’t know when they became regular but I’m now 7 weeks pregnant which I’m so happy because I thought it would take years to get pregnant after the shot."

Emilyr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This is literally the worst birth control. Please don't ever get this birth control. I was on the birth control pills and I barely got any side effects, but it was really hard keeping up with the birth control pills, so I went on the depo shot. THE WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE. The day after I got the shot, I got acne all over my face. I had whiteheads all over my forehead and cystic acne all over my face. For three months, I had really bad acne and it was never this bad... When the 3 months was over, my face was finally back to normal....."

lin (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on depo-provera for 12 years. I've been off for about 5 I'm experiencing a lot of joint pain. My hands are so painful. Could this be due to depo?"

Lorlee (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2018

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "Provera is an effective medicine for amenorrhea. I would like to share my experience here: When I didn't get my periods on the regular dates, I went to gynecologist, he told me things are okay, the reasons of delay he told me were hormonal imbalance and stress. He gave me certain medicines and a syrup of herbal medicine to get the periods and make it regular. But, I didn't get the period inspite of taking them. So, I googled this medicine out, and got my periods after taking provera 10mg tablet daily for 5 days. I would like to thank to all who reviewed this medicine earlier."

Amruta (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I love depo provera. I had horrible periods so I decided to get the shot, Best decision I ever made. Right when I got the shot I had my period for two weeks straight but after that I didn't get it again only like 2 days of spotting for the first 3 months nothing bad. It has almost been a year and I don't have my period at all only a tiny bit of weight gain nothing that can't be managed."

Nataliia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "In the past, I have tried various pills and the patch. With the Depo shot, it was nice to only have to get it every 3 months. The first 6 months or so, I had irregular periods, but after that my periods stopped completely. I was on the Depo shot for over 3 years and had more pros than cons. The only downside for me was the weight gain. I stopped taking the shot so my weight would come off...it didn't. I would advise extremely healthy diet and exercise if you want to be on the Depo shot."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I had terrible weight gain. Do not recommend for 40 year congestive heart failure patients. Your diuretics will not work. I gained 40 pounds. I'm off now. Hoping this shot will wear off soon."

Ceceoh (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "A lot of people that I'm seeing have said bad things about this specific birth control, but I have had absolutely no problems with Depo Provera. I have been taking it for a year, and in the past year my mood has been evened out, my acne has cleared up, I have had no weight gain, and my period is completely gone. The downside is my sex drive has been lowered, but I do not wish to have kids for a while and if that is the only negative side effect of this drug I do not really mind. Don't say "don't use this - I had a horrible experience" because literally EVERYONE reacts differently to birth control. I would definitely recommend trying it, and if you don't like it go back to your doctor and discuss different birth controls to try."

Aleah May 16, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on depo for the last 10 years? Years on and off. I hate it. I constantly have headaches, constantly feel sad/overwhelmed. I feel very fatigued. No sex drive. I would not recommend this to anyone. It's nice to never have a period but all of the other symptoms outweigh that one good part. Finally getting off of it this week and trying the arm implant."

Asmar (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2018

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm 44, I have had symptoms of menorrhagia for several years now. I was hospitalized because my hemoglobin was 5, received a couple of blood transfusions and iron during that stay. I was then referred to an OBGYN who put me on Provera 10 mg, twice a day. As I was about to start a period and already spotting, I noticed when I started Provera it stopped that and it was fantastic. Well it's now 2 weeks and 2 days after a D&C and I'm bleeding pretty heavily with large size and numerous clots, and not cramps but pain and pressure. I kind of lost track of when my actual period should start, so I don't know if what I'm experiencing is the Provera trying to normalize my previously terrible periods, because they were much worse than this, but this is still pretty bad. If I am having a period on Provera right now, it's not doing a whole lot for me anymore."

Jackie May 13, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I don’t recommend people to get the depo shot for birth control because from my experience it was... still is the worst. I’m currently on it and it’s my last month and I know I won’t be going back. I got all the side affects like losing your hair, gaining weight, depression, mood swings, I have been on my period for two months and it’s the worst. I get headaches out of no where and I lose interest when it came to being romantic with my partner. This birth control does not help when it comes to emotions and physical things. I don’t recommend it at all!"

La (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the shot for 7 years. I have gotten dizzy, bones weakened, had headaches, but eventually that stopped and I had a great experience because I didn't have a period no more. I recently switched to the mirena because I gained too much weight and my bones were weak plus its not good to be on the shot that long. I have had the mirena for a week now and about to get it removed because my boyfriend can feel it and I want to try the pill although its not that effective."

Kim (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This is a toxic drug !!!!!! Do not take this drug for any reason . My first shot was in December 2017, I started spotting 11 days later. I spotted for 3 months straight then it stopped for 3 weeks then back on again been spotting every day. NON stop . It’s now May 2nd 2018 with absolutely no end in site I am very depressed about the non stop bleeding HORRIBLE DRUG"

Chrissy (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I began taking Depo provera because I am severely anemic and I was having very heavy 14 day long periods. I got on to regulate them and so far so good! I've been waiting for this to happen but I finally went through the month of April with no period and no cramps! When I started out I would have longer light periods but as I am on the 3rd dosage now my period has stopped completely! Take lots of Vitamin D and eat very healthy because it will make you hungry! But I have had no problems with it except for my first period after the shot. But its great for me but its not great for everybody."

Ash (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for : "Started 5 years ago for Migraine/ & Birth control. I'm 47, 4 children and got finally my life back! No migraines, no period, no monthly pain & depression. Only side effect is bloating and easy weight gain but can be controlled with healthy eating & lifestyle. Oh and I dream non stop very realistic from the hormones I guess, had that during pregnancies as well. Very happy overall, recommend to everyone with migraines!"

Seni (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have been bleeding for the past 2 months & 1/2. I'm anemic & struggle w low blood pressure due to the fact that I've been none stop bleeding. I try to take care of myself I eat healthy but with so much bleeding I feel helpless that no matter how much I try to maintain my health well I can't. I have lost so much hair, incredibly a lot. I find myself sweeping so much cause my hair is every where!! I'm even the reason our shower got clogged from so much hair that I've lost while I shower (I try to pick up as much as I can while I shower so I could throw it away). I had very thick hair & so much of it that now anyone notices that I've lost much of my hair! I've become depressed and angry! My sex drive has gone down as well. I've been with my partner for over six years we were planning of having a baby in the near future & we aren't planning to have any more so I thought this would be worth it but my mental health and my health in general is far more important. I won't be getting the next shot. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!"

G51 April 30, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the shot for 3 years. It was great! Little weight gain after the first month or two, no periods or cramping. Until it was brought to my attention that I my mood was unbelievable bad (think bad words here!)!!!! I didn’t realize it until after. I have been off of my birth control for a year now. It took me 6 months to even get my period again. After I got it I had it for 3 weeks with serious cramping. After the 7 months of stopping, it took an additional 3 months to get a normal period cycle. I was off and on every week. I got debilitating migraines the entire time on it and up until 6 months after. It’s slowly getting back to how it should be but after this it is condoms."

Lna (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

depo-subQ provera 104 (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Do not recommend this. I've had horrid side effects. And Dr said pretty much gotta ride it out for 3 months"

P (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I LOVE THE SHOT. I’ve been on it for 4 years and I have nothing bad to say about it. No weight gain, no effect on acne, no mood changes, and no pregnancy. I spotted for maybe the first month but I haven't had a period or period cramps in 4 years which is amazing. The first few times I got it, my body would be a little sore for about an hour or two after but it no longer has this effect on me. I also get the shot in the back so it only feels like a slight pinch. I cannot recommend it enough."

Shan (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for : "I been on depo since June 2017. It stopped my period completely until I was due for the next shot. I have seemed more depressed and body out of order, I am cramping everyday. My vagina has been very dry since getting the shot. I know everyone body is very different but I wouldn’t say get on the shot I kinda feel all birth controls mess something up."

Pooh (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "The depo shots great I don’t get my period I’ve been on it for about a year I don’t find that I gained any weight at all but I do find my self hungry a lot, but I eat pretty well. I don’t get acne often. The pill used to make me so moody but now I’m fine I feel pretty good sometimes I get really tired but I’ve always slept a lot. The only time I find my self with some acne and cramps is like for a couple days during the month before I need the shot. Definitely recommend vitamin D for your bones because depo can cause your bones to slowly get weaker but over a long time but if you find your body aching take vitamin D definitely helps get rid of aching!!!"

Kaitlyn April 13, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I DO NOT RECOMMEND what so ever - it is HORRIBLE. I wish that I would’ve taken more time to research about it and see people’s reviews . I got the shot in January and experienced a week long period in February and I’m 3 weeks in with my period that started in March and it’s April now. I feel like I’ve definitely have been depressed and I’ve noticed a weight gain and my acne breaking out increasingly . I thought this would be convenient for me and help me but it has done nothing good to me. Please try and look into a different kind of birth control , trust me you will not benefit nor like this one ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018