User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 2 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 549 reviews 109 medications

3.4
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 1345 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I got the shot, and I have been able to have sex with no problems. But, I suggest if you don't know your partner that well then it would be a good idea to wear a condom as well. I love the depo, I don't get a period. The only thing is you have to know how to control your appetite. Because, it can make you very hungry. But, other than that. I believe this is the best method of birth control."

Kaylee p September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the Depo shot because I had really bad anxiety. My OB read my chart from my reg doctor, and told me that I should be on some type of BC. I said okay. She recommended the SHOT. Such a bad choice now. I took the shot back in May 2017. I didn't have my period for the rest of that month. Then June 2nd came, I had a normal period. But after I THOUGHT is was done, I had spotting. Up until I started my period again. Then spotting up until my next period. We are now in Sept , I'm bleeding with BIG clots. Please do your research! It made me fell worse. My depression was worse and prolonged periods. I can't stand it. Loosing so much blood makes you feel weaker and tired. DON'T NOT GET THE DEPO SHOT."

Maria0221 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Dr suggested for heavy periods and almost anaemic. One month no bleed but then the bleed started and has now been two months of on/off light to heavy with minor to major clotting. Had ultrasound and have two fibroids. Tummy upset, cramping, fatigue and loads of money spent on liners, tampons and pads. As I took this for heavy bleeding and low iron levels, it has done nothing but cause trouble. Seeing a Gyno today for info on surgery as a permanent solution... but then I am 47 and blessed with children. BIG RISKS to consider if you are deciding on this horrible shot!"

Anae Mia (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the Depo injections for around 2 years during Uni, having previously been on the Microgynon pill. In many ways, it was perfect for me- it completely stopped my periods, which was so convenient, and I had no cramps or pain at all. The problem was, my skin gradually got worse and worse, and stupidly at the time, I didn't put it down to the Depo. I had always had mild acne, but the Depo made it so much worse and just constant. Finally, I was taken off Depo due to possible bone density issues for long-term use (over 2 years), and switched to Yasmin, which cleared my skin up completely! I know other people who had Depo and it didn't affect their skin at all, so I think it depends on your hormones personally. As BC alone it was ideal!"

Cheerio4226 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Ok, I went on this 10 mg 2x a day for about 4 weeks now. I needed to start because I hemorrhaged so bad in a single day my Hemoglobin dropped from 12 - 9, and then to 8 as I continued to hemorrhage, for 2 weeks after. As a result of hemorrhaging, I could not breath, my heart was racing from dehydration, and my body used all of my iron and ferritin, and then started destroying bone marrow to try and make hemoglobin. I started provera when my hematologist started ferritin infusions, and was afraid ANY bleeding would kill me. This medication causes me shortness of breath, racing heart, rashes, lethargy, vomiting, muscle pain; oh an I have been spotting since I started it! I feel worse then when I was literally dying before taking it."

feritless (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had my 1 & only shot in March 2017 and immediately felt bloated and sick so I decided not to get another one. I had my first period in May 2017 and have bled on and off every few days since. I have currently been bleeding for 17 days straight and I haven't had longer than a 5 day break in between bleeds the entire time. I'm bloated, hormonal and very tired. I hate not knowing my body or its cycle and am at a loss of what to do. I do not recommend this shot to anyone!"

Bec868686ooo September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "So I started the shot on July 20, 2017 and the day after I had my period which I thought was normal because my period is usually around that time. But then it didn't go away! At first it started off normally then after 4 days it started to get lighter and I thought it was just about to go away, NOPE!! I was spotting for about 2 weeks. I finally went away for about a week and there it was again. Its September 13 and I'm still spotting. I've been bleeding nonstop for so long and is so annoying, I've done research and talked to other girls and heard what they had to say about when they got there first shot and they said they bled too 3,4 or 6mo! going to get my next shot which will be next month but if the bleeding is continuously then I quit!"

Erma26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I started the shot in June. The first month I spotted and when it was about the time I get my period it got a little heavier for two days and back to spotting for 2 more weeks. I've had heavy periods since I was ten, I don't have fibroids just bleed really heavy. I recommend this shot if you have heavy periods. We don't use any other contraception and no pregnancies here. The only reason I give it a 8 is because it made my anxiety come back. This is a secret weapon and I think a lot of the negative reviews are just women who want to keep the depo shot secret to themselves. Give it a shot but also some time for your body to adjust to it."

Fancy G (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started on the shot in May of 2017. The whole point was to control my bleeding from my fibroids. As June rolled around, I got my period, which progressed into July and August and got progressively heavier. This last month, my clots are bigger and bigger and I usually wear the 10 hour overnight pads during the day. Although they last me about an hour. It's ruined my life, my clothes, my sheets"

LenRdh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Absolutely hate the depo provera shot ! I GAINED soo much weight its disappointing! After I had my baby I went back to my regular weight which was 130 , I had my baby on 2/27/17 & had went back to the clinic for my 6 week ob post partum and then the nurse had asked me what wa sI going to use for contraception, and i answered "condoms " and she responded with " you know some condoms can fail - how about some birth control pills, shot, IUD and the nexplanon , these are our top 4 popular birth control options of course we have more but definitely recommend these ! " as she mentioned all of them she started giving me information about the 4 options , so then I decided on the depo , because I'm not good with remembering to take pills every day and at the same time , I definitely don't want something in my uterus or in my arm , at that point depo sounded perfect. I noticed a lot of mood changes, hungriness and weight changes. I was depressed, emotional , most the time , was extremely rude to my husband, and I was tired all the time, all I wanted to do is sleep. I was hungry all the time i was eating every 2 hours I could not control my hungriness and at that moment all I wanted to do is eat and sleep. Then I started noticing I was getting thicker around may waist & decided to checked my weight, I had gained 40 pounds in 3 months and first time taking it! I never went back to get my second depo . I honestly don't recommend any birth control.. I know every one bodies are different but still they are bad for us believe it or not !"

FannyQ September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "Before I was on the Depo Provera shot,I had extremely painful periods..periods that were so painful, sometimes I would have to miss work. I would literally be doubled over in pain all across my lower abdomen, ibuprofen sometimes didn't help. This had been going on for several years, but last December I had enough, and decided to get the Depo Provera shot..I have been period free for several months now, and I feel so much better, I am one of the lucky few who hasn't really experienced any side effects. The Depo shot has been a miracle in my life, no more painful periods!"

LilTattooPrincess (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I will never ever take this shot again I was on it for about 3-4 years and when I got off of it and got married it took me 3 years to get pregnant it put me in a deep depression!! If anyone is kids in the future I highly recommend get on a different form of birth control!!!!!"

Carebear21 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on the depo shot since March 2017. That same night I ended up having a bad chest pain. Like someone stabbed me. Then it stopped for a couple days and then back again. I didn't think much of it. So further on I stopped having pains until my second dose in June 2017. Then it was my back hurting on the right side. It would hurt off and on and then go away for a few weeks. As 4 weeks pass I started having pains again. Waking me up in the middle of the night. I kept feeling like I was going to vomit but it would never come. So I went to the ER and got checked. They took blood samples, urine samples, chest and back x-rays. Everything came back negative. Then we thought it was my gall bladder and still nothing wrong. Not doing the third"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Have had the shot twice now. About to get my third. There's been some irregular bleeding. And it's mostly after sex. But no full period. No cramps, PMS, never wear tampons or pads anymore. It's been very efficient! I've taken tests just to be sure too! "

Samcb25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Please don't get on this bc . I've been on it for 4 years. It's made my life hard work and now after I've been off of it since March. I'm now bleeding out of control at times. It's like its never going to end. I don't know what to do. I wish I would've done some research before getting this birth control. I'm embarrassed at times and becoming stressed out . What can I do to slower or maybe even stop this bleeding?"

Jessic August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "When I first got it I didn't bleed until the last month I started spotting but it was a very dark brown blood and so I told my doc so she gave me birth control to stop it. So the second shot which I'm on now made it stop for the first month but I barely just got off it and now I'm bleeding very heavy and cramping bad everyday."

Zxsn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had 2 doses of the shot. One in October 2016 and then Jan. 2017. I literally had a period from January til August! That's 8 whole months! I would not recommend this form of bc unless you don't mind bleeding. I had to start bc pills to regulate my period again."

Nina P. August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Been on the shot for 5 months now and over all I don't mind some of the side effects (to me they seem mild). The most annoying one is the irregular bleeding, for example: I've had 1 regular period since the start, then it stopped the next month, then I bled (spotted) the whole next month, now I am just spotty throughout the month on and off. I still get PMS symptoms, but they're not as intense as before use. It did not help clear up my acne (existing hormone issue) but it is less of a hassle than the pill. I did increase my Vit. B intake with this method (as recommended). I rather deal with irregular spotting than a child so I will continue use."

Working as it should. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the shot to control my bleeding and cramps from fibroids, so I thought...however, this has been the worst decision ever. I have had heavy bleeding and tons of blood clots. I only took the shot once and won't be getting it again. Also, it has increased the acne of my face, I'm suffering with severe depression, and my sex drive is gone. Lastly, this keeps me from wanting to have sex anymore because it's embarrassing...who wants to have sex with a blood hound! I feel incredibly stupid because I normally do my research but I let the doctor talk me into it as she claimed it was the best option due to my challenge with high blood pressure. This was the worst decision ever and I won't be getting it again. I'm stuck riding it out!!"

LadyJ43 August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This has made my life a living hell I went to the gynacologist to see about me having my period for a month she suggested I get the shot and take pills and said it should be gone within 5-6 days. Well its been 3 weeks and its the most horrible feeling in the world to keep bleeding and I don't know why to have to wear pads everyday and change pants four times a day I just want to say forget it and get my uterus out I'm only 22 with no children"

Zhane (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I got the shot in June due for another one in September . I am debating on whether to get it again or for the main simple fact I have irregular periods its looks its going to start but never does . So just a warning a lot of these reviews are true personal experiences. And I don't think I want it again"

Cowgirl1256 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Ok so I have been suffering for two years now. I'm 25. I had this so bad I was anemic with huge blood clots, finally doc gave me d&c a month later started up again it got so bad again w clots. He said depo shot and another d&c he gave me the depo shot last week. I'm not even kidding you it stopped immediately. I'm so happy I was really suffering and now don't even need the d&c. The only bad part is I want more kids like soon but my body needs a rest from this. I'm 100% for the depo shot it saved my life."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Had only one shot. I was spotting for 3 months everyday, experiencing cramps, dizziness, nausea and mood changes. I never took another shot, yet I am still spotting and I still have abdominal pain, irregular bleeding and my mood is changing rapidly. I would never recommended this product to anyone. Whats more, I think It should be taken off the market immediately."

Janaxx August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis: "I've missed periods for 2 years since stopping birth control and now been diagnosed with PCOS, and recently after an appendectomy, surgeon noticed signs of endometriosis. The idiotic new obgyn I went to had No idea what Either were. While even training a student, I heard a Lonng 45 min+ conversation between her and a head doctor who was trying to teach her what is was..while I was trying to leave, she came in and said endo was blood that gets stuck internally in wrong places... uggh my friend knew MUCH more about it and informed me the textbook definition etc. I've been on the 10 day med. to prompt a period so my lining doesn't build up too thick n cause cancer it's not working tho two 10 day scripts and nothing but sore huge breasts. I think its called methohydroxidone"

Sunshine1541 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Amenorrhea: "My last day on provera and I spotted a light orange color for a few hours but would only on the toilet paper. The next day it was a a brownish colour again only on the toilet paper and today Tuesday it is a bright red colour but there is no flow, I'm having bad cramps and backache with a slight headache. I hope everything is fine. This is my second time using this medication and the first time I didn't spot or anything until the 5th day like the doctor said I would and it was a heavy flow. Has anybody else been through this???"

Rosem84 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017