User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 2 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 467 reviews 169 medications

3.6
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 1184 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Terrible, wish I could give a -10 lol. Had first and last shot beginning of July 2016 and been bleeding ever since! Mefanamic and tranexamic acids have done nothing. Anyone who has bled for months please tell me when things got better for you because I am losing hope. I don't know whether its the doctors are ignorant about what this can or that they don't are more concerned about keeping unwanted pregnancy to a min but it is scary how little they know about this drug. The side effect they kept making the most noise about was weight gain rather than possibility of bleeding for months on end."

duoduo123 February 19, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm highly disappointed with this injection. I took my first shot of Depo shot Dec 2016 was fine for 28 days where I thought I was having a normal period. Since January 26th I have been bleeding, cramping and literally passing clots daily to date Feb 16th. This is so misleading. I have gone through tons of pads and this is becoming so depressing. I would never I say never ever take this injection again."

Shylou February 18, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Depo really did not run well with me. Got my first shot in November and have bled for 3 months straight. Period-like bleed every. single. day without any break at all. Very heavy and clots too. Depo made me bloat awfully too, I'm guessing due to water retention but made me look almost pregnant! My skin got really bad on it too.. not sure if it was caused by the depo or not but my skin is usually fine. I won't be going back for my second shot.."

Lilyb1509 February 17, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Let me start by saying understand I absolutely hated this medicine.It made me gain tons of weight (60 lbs in the first 6 months), made hair grow darker on my body, acne, and lost every ounce of my sex drive (every single ounce). Basically, how this birth control works, is by turning you into an grumpy ugly troll (from my experience). The only good thing that came out of it was no period and I didn't get pregnant. And speaking of periods, since I've been off this medication, I have an abnormal cycle. I will get a 2-3 warning period, then it will be gone for about a week, then the real thing will start and last another week. Didn't have that problem until after this medication so I can only assume it is to be blamed."

JoelleBarns (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I took the depo shot for a year and a half. I got off 5 years ago and still have had irregular periods which isn't normal for me. After seeing a obgyn she just told me to wait around and change my diet. Six months later I'm still not having regular cycles. So I changed my obgyn and I love her to pieces! She told me that she'll put me on the provera 5 day challenge I started yesterday upon taking the pill i already felt pms symptoms especially cramping. I'll update later as I'm going into my third day"

CrowLife (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "WHY is this product still on the market?!! I have been bleeding for 7 months straight on after taking this horrible drug. My only options to stop the bleeding is to either keep taking the shots for a year, or stop taking the shots and wait months for the bleeding to stop. After 2 shots I decided to stop but I have no idea when the bleeding will finally end. It's not small spotting, but EXCESSIVE and continuous flow of blood. I guess its rightfully called birth control, because when you're on it you'll little to no sex. Pads now cause chafing & tampons are now painful. I wish I could sue this company for making the last 7 months of my life hell! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG! YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE SYMPTOMS, BUT ITS NOT WORTH TRYING IT TO FIND OUT!"

Zoa12 February 11, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I been on the shot for 7 months now have had no side effects except weight gain which is a plus for me since I was 113 lbs and now am 135 lbs since I have always had so much difficulty gaining weight also after the 4th month my period went away don't know when and if I'll get it back which is also a good thing for me."

Kjm1992 February 11, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "If I could give this shot 0 stars I would. One is really pushing it. I got the depo in the middle of January, it is now the beginning of Feb & yesterday I was at the ER and my Drs office all day. I woke up having horrible cramps, then it led to blood clots with grayish tissue looking stuff inside, it was nothing I've ever seen before, I passed about 6 of those then the pain started to be mild again and easier to deal with. I've never had a miscarriage but If I could image what the pain felt like it would be that! DO NOT GET THIS SHOT. I'm scheduled for another & I'm cancelling, I would much rather take a pill every day! After dealing with it all day, and now I'm on the 11th day of my period, it was confirmed it was a side effect to the shot"

Horrible Experience February 9, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on the depo shot going on 3 years now. I've had absolutely no period the whole time, I've gained probably around 10 pounds, I have little to no sex drive, very moody every now and then and I get a little dizzy sometimes without reason? I'm going to get off the shot and move on to the pill, the depo shot is good to use for about a year maybe even 2 but I'm not liking my 3rd time around so far. Thank you for all the reviews really helped make up my mind about this shot, I hate not feeling like myself."

BBnay February 8, 2017

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am 52 years old and clearly have been through the change of life. I've had no period for years. All of a sudden, I have some spotting so I go to my doctor. He does a surgical procedure to scrape the lining of my uterus and then puts me on 2, 10 mg Medroxyprogesterone a day, for 20 days. Four days after my last pill the bleeding started. I have NEVER had such a bad period in all of my 52 years of life! I have had 3 children and this is worse than the labor of all three!! I will NEVER take that medicine again!! They can do a hysterectomy and take the womb I haven't needed in decades. I can't even leave the house because when I stand up, I gush blood!! Roll over in bed, gush blood!! Not Happy!! Why didn't my doctor warn me about this?????"

GrumpyGranny (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the Depo Shot for 3 years, in my last year being on it I went from weighing 125 pounds to 158 pounds. The weight gain was the only problem I had with this shot. I had a period every 3 months and it was always very light."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "My experience with the depo shot was great! I love it! I've been on it for 2 years now and I am currently still receiving the shot. Honestly, I've experienced no type of bad side effects from the depo shot. I didn't gain any weight, didn't become depressed, or have mood swings, it didn't lower my sex drive, or cause me any discomfort with my periods, etc. I literally haven't, and still don't experience anything bad with the depo shot til this day! I love the depo shot because it's something you don't have to worry about taking everyday. It's quick, easy and comfortable. And works amazing at preventing pregnancy! I 100% definitely recommend anyone to give the depo shot a try!"

Princess Perez February 5, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the depo for a little under a year. The main reason I stopped taking it was because of the weight gain. Either way, while being on the shot, my period stopped completely, which is the main reason I chose it. I just recently switched to the pill and have been bleeding during sex, which is concerning, but never happened when I was on the shot. In all, when I was on the shot I probably gained a total of 10-15 pounds, which I can't fully blame the shot for. Other than that, I did not have any issues with any other side effects while I was using this form of birth control."

010101238 February 3, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I am at the end of the road. I am so depressed about this entire situation. I was on the shot at one point of time. It actually gets the job done, prevents pregnancy and stopped my period, however, the weight gain is real, mood swings, and I don't need anymore of those anyway. My bones popped every time I moved and I managed to gain 15 lbs, most of the weight went to my stomach and thats terrible considering I am only 5'2 and my normal weight is no more than 127 lbs. I LOOKED PREGNANT. I am getting very emotional about this entire situation because my periods are the worst, heavy bleeding, cramps are just unbelievable, so painful and lately they have been off track, but they still come EVERY month. I am stuck don't know what to do."

KayDoll (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I was prescribed Provera for 10 days at 6pm every day. I have had no period since my early 20's and then it was only on meds. I have long history of hormonal problems and have been diagnosed with Amenohrrea as many of you, and I have been in and out of IVF specialist clinics while they all tried to sell me theirs since and no one would actually help or give hope to concieve but they were all quick to say that I had premature Ovarian failure however, I never gave up and found a Dr. a fertility specialist and although I am over weight, have been found to have thyroid issues, and have a thin endometrium with high I repeat high levels of Estrogen. I was prescribed this little pill aka Provera. So ladies do not loose hope, ask God & trust!"

V007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "Suffered with super heavy, painful periods for YEARS. Was finally diagnosed with Endometriosis and an ovarian cyst 9 months ago. Absolutely NO cramping after 2nd shot, no more periods, and I'd probably rate this a 10 if it wasn't for the weight gain (not massive, but still . . . ) and low sex drive. Never had an issue with naturally occurring lubrication (if that's what you want to call it) but I do now. And I don't have orgasms like I used to. Worth it? Definitely YES, because like I said, no more menstrual pain AND I don't have to buy tampons anymore when I was used to using super plus size ones at least 6-10 times a day. FYI my insurance wouldn't cover it for a medical condition, but DOES cover it for birth control. Go figure."

CokoPicasso (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "My experience with the DEPO shot was horrible. I started off the first year on the pill and it was okay but it wasn't helping my bleeding at all and I was tired of taking the pill every day. I started the shot in September and the first two months were fine, I didn't bleed at all but when I tell you I had major mood swings it was terrifying. I would be depressed or really angry for about a week until it calmed down a little. I took the second shot thinking my body would start getting used to it and balancing everything out and the same thing happened again but I started to get more stomach pains and migraines. Now I just found out I have a tumor behind my eye! Thanks a lot DEPO"

LuckyDag February 1, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I am new at bc. I just had a baby in Nov. 2016 and got the shot in Dec. 2016 by Jan 16 I started spotting and I have my period now for two weeks non-stop. That has me in a terrible mood. Besides this no other complaints."

Olgabx January 31, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started my first Depo shot in July of 2016 after I hadn't seen my period since April of 2016, and it was now July. I was only on BC to regulate my terrible menstrual cycles and horrible cramps. So after years of being on the pill, I decided to go a different route. My first shot in July was fine. I finally got my period again in September and it stayed on the entire month. After I went back for my second shot it October, my doctor prescribed me hormone pills to take for a week to make it go off - it worked. After 2 wks my period was back on. I had taken all 4 of the other prescriptions to stop the bleeding and it never stopped and I've been bleeding ever since. I scheduled to have my 3rd shot 1/6/17 and didn't go! DO NOT GET ON DEPO!!!"

SNikkole26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I started this depo shot back in September 2016 because it was suggested that I got on birth control for a few reasons. The first two months (September and October) were great... I didn't even get my period the entire time. But once November (my last month) came, I was bleeding non-stop. It wasn't heavy bleeding but everyday I needed to wear a pad cause I was bleeding enough for one. The whole month of November I couldn't even have sex cause I was bleeding like crazy and it wouldn't stop! Not only that, but I really hated the way that this birth control made me feel... I was extremely moody and almost depressed for some of December. I was so happy when I was off the shot and I'm now on birth control pills and so far it's going well"

Mimi4647492 January 30, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Hello, I have thee most worst experience.... I was on the shot for about 2 years or a little over. The first 2 months of having it, I had serious blood clots and cramps something serious. After about a year in some months, I would only spot 1 wk before getting the shot and 1 wk after. Every time I had sex, I will have the worst abdominal Pain for like a hour. I ended up getting my last shot 11/2015 and was suppose to return 01/16 never went. After that by March, I had my period for a month in a half. Next period was in Oct, now on it since Jan 15th til now... And extra heavy"

Star light (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Okay so i started my first depo in July of 2016 because I had a pregnancy scare and my periods are terrible, the first month was fine. Second month I started spotting but it never showed after a day. The third month was just terrible blood everywhere! I went to my docotor and she told me that its rare for women to still have heavy periods on the depo and convinced me to get another in September which was my last. I bled for the entire 2nd shot and thats what? 4 months counting August. I have nothing but blood clots n pain. I feel I lost my boyfriend because I couldn't have sex. If iIdid would cause me to bleed a lot more! Its now been 3 weeks since I'm off the depo PLEASE DNT GET THIS SHOT!! Its just a mistake you'll carry for 10 months!"

Aliensrhere January 28, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I loved Depo! Was on it all together over 10 years with a break between 2009 and 2012 when we decided to have kids and now (since Sept 2016). Super convenient, effective, and it made my period completely stop. The only complaint I have was one that didn't show up until last couple of years (for which I ultimately stopped taking it): zero sex drive. I mean bad...to the point I almost got a divorce! In the past I've always had desire but it wasn't until the last 2-3 years where there's was nothing, no desire for my husband, , sex scenes in movies got no reaction...nothing!!! That is my only complaint but it was after many many years. Still, I would recommend Depo 100%"

Joi vonR January 27, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "It's been about 2 and a half weeks off depo now and I've seen a huge difference, in my mood, and in my skin especially. I was on the shot for about 2 years. The first half of the first yet I bled, not enough to need a tampon but enough to annoy me from time to time. It goes away. The last 6 months of using it I noticed a huge change in my skin. I've never had a problem with acne but after a year and a half on depo I started getting pimples on my forehead that wouldn't ever go away. I've never had problems with weight gain but did notice it made me a little more emotional then I had been off it. As for protection against getting pregnant it worked 100% on its own."

Nicoleeeeb January 26, 2017

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the first depo shot on November 15 2016 the Dr said ooh you'll have irregular bleeding what she failed to tell me was that I could have nonstop heavy bleeding which has happened not to mention I have a blood disorder so having this nonstop bleeding from the depo isn't good at all then after seeing her again she goes well there isn't anything I can do for you and if you choose to stop it the bleeding will get worse before it gets better I'm furious because she knows I have a blood disorder causing my blood not to clot and she didn't mention the possible side effects until after I got the shot now because of this I have to be monitored more often and closely with the blood disorder"

JayZari January 26, 2017