User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 2 reviews 17 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 530 reviews 169 medications

3.4
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 1299 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I went on this because I was tired of taking pills everyday. Within the 1st dose my periods stopped and I thought Wow this is great. However in the 2 doses that I had I gained 40 pounds. I was on the pills for 7 years and I had steady weight. If I could go back I would NEVER switched to the Depo Shot. Worst decision ever!"

amanda sch. July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've recently gotten back on the depo probably at the beginning of June and I've been bleeding for almost 2 months they put me on birth control pills but that's still not helping. I need something to stop this bleeding it's getting out of control"

Niecy123 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I took the shot June 7 2017. Thats 2 days after my period i thought everything was going to be fine I didn't bleed or even spot for the first 2 months! Then I started spotting for a week and now its getting heavy. Its been almost 2 weeks with constant spotting/ bleeding. Reading all the reviews now is making me wonder if its good for me or not. If my bleeding doesn't stop by the time I take my next shot which is on August 3. I won't be taking the shot any longer. I may try take it another time but if I have constant bleeding thats a big NO for me. I'll just take the pills and have a normal period, rather than ruin my body and ruining my relationship ugh! My boyfriend is really understanding but its ruining my sex life. "

Naomibx3 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started blood thinners for DVT, two days late started period was bleeding so bad was in the restroom every 10-20 mins..7 days later was in the hospital was slightly anemic less than 48 hrs later ended up back in the hospital blood count was 6.1 had to have 4 units of blood over two days they gave me a depo shot to stop the bleeding it took almost 72 hours to work now a little over a week out of the hospital I have started bleeding again...idk what to think about the depo all I know is it isn't working for what I need it to be."

Sammie1979 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got a novasure ablation 5 years ago because of the heavy bleeding and having to change pads and tampons every hour. The gush feeling after changing while conducting a 15 min. meeting was unbearable. The ablation was the best thing ever until... i started bleeding again. My Dr. put me on Provera 2x daily for 7 days following 1x daily for 7 days. One day passed after completing the prescription and the heavy bleeding with huge clots worse than prior to the ablation, along with severe cramping, similar to contractions is making me regret ever taking this drug. Im on day 3 of heavy bleeding, severe cramping, terrible bloating that I have never experienced before. I'm feeling discouraged reading that some women bled heavy for more than 2 wks"

45momto4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm 30 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It will be 66 days till I got my next period and would last for over a month. So, my doctor prescribed medroxyprogesterone 30 pills to STOP the bleed! Took 3 pills a day till bleeding subsides and then 1 pill a day till finished! The bleeding stopped after 3 days, ok GREAT! Uh NoT after 4 days the bleeding returned worse then ever! I was passing quarter size blood clots every day! I was literally gushing out blood like a faucet! Since the bleeding returned it's been 15 days and still bleeding and I finished the dosage! These pills are awful! So disappointed! :("

Robiibaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "This is the only medicine that I've tried that controls my endometriosis symptoms. It has been a MIRACLE. The first shot caused intense hunger that lasted about a month. But I have not experienced any weight gain and have in fact lost 10 pounds with diet and exercise while on depo. The first month also caused some bad adult acne but I got that under control with acne washes. I've had some occasional light spotting that requires an ultra thin pad for a day or two. There was 1 bad period when I was due for the second shot, but since then, I haven't had any periods at all. It's been 6 months and this shot allows me to live a normal life, make plans, and work a normal job without having to miss numerous days."

FriedaKahlo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I just had my first shot 2 months ago. I have not been my self, constant headaches, serious contraction pains, loss in Sex drive. I have been bleeding for almost a month. I feel sick all the time, no energy and I am experiencing hyper pigmentation on my face. I have become so dark, also I can't sleep well and loss of appetite. I can't wait for it to wear off. I am not getting it again. I hope I return to my normal self after it wears off"

Ceby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I had the IUD, and got it taken out due to severe cramps and other issues. I got on the depo shot to try something different hoping it would help. I just got my first dose a WEEK ago, and I am a completely different person. My mood swings are the WORST. I'm always angry, irritable, nothing van make me happy and I'm always depressed. This is a horrible way to live everyday life. I can't make it better and my mood doesn't change. It definitely helped with my cramps and bleeding, but these mood swings are unbearable and I can't tolerate it. I know this shot works different on everyone, but it's certainly not for me."

Hannahhconda (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "If I could rate 0 I would ****WARNING PLEASE LISTEN**** IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THE DEPO SHOT AND HAVE BIPOLAR DEPRESSION PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS THAT MAY OCCUR!!! =====> Extreme mood swings, irritably, feelings of familiarity, odd sensations and worse depression. If you are considering depo please take caution if you do have bipolar depression. It works differently for everyone but I just know I don't like the outcomes and I feel that I should just fore warn others just in case"

Lynnhall96 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "I recently tried depo provera for my endo, and it worked great for my heavy periods and also the pain. I barely have any flare ups like before. But my hormones are going crazy or I'm going crazy. I'm irritable all the time and I get so mad over nothing. Wondering whats worse to go through pain or the damn moods swings....."

Loune June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I received a second shot of Depo April 2017. I'm writing this post late June 2017. I have been bleeding for 11 weeks!!! I will not be getting it again"

Jennarenaes June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Please steer clear of this. I was on the injection for about 8 months when I unknowingly had a miscarriage. I never had my period when I was on depo and never imagined I could be pregnant until I was in the ER. It was such a traumatizing experience, I hope nobody has to go through what I had to go through because this injection failed to work."

ANDMmd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I received my 1st shot a week after giving birth in 2015, I bled the entire 1st month then it stopped completely. So overall I loved being on the shot, I am very petite so I enjoyed the little weight gain, BUT it did decrease my sex drive. I also began having slight headaches maybe once a month, which caused me to finally switch birth controls after 2 years. But I did love the shot overall an I recommend it, especially if you're practicing abstinence!"

Mrs Green June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Got this shot as a recommendation from my dr to stop the bleeding I had when my IUD didn't stick. It stopped the bleeding for a month then came back slow bleeding for half a month then full on heavy bleeding with large blood clots for now 2 months. I was soaking though a purple 10 hour pad in and hour sometimes 30 minutes. I lost so much blood I was admitted to the hospital and received 4 blood transfusions. When released from the hospital they said nothing on how to stop the bleeding or if it would stop. I've been out of the hospital a week and I'm still losing so much blood. I can't even go to work because whether I'm sitting or standing I go though two 10 hour pads and an adult diaper in an hour."

CassyDF (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was bleeding for 10 days and it got crazy heavy. I went to the doctor and she prescribed 30mg/ day for 7 days and then taper down to 20 for 7 day, then 10 for 7 days. This seems really crazy! Has anyone ever heard of this dose being prescribed?"

Courtcolor (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I got this shot in May for the first time. My doctor told me I would stop getting my period (which I never had any issues with). I figured since I have a horrible time remembering to take my pill that I would try this shot. NEVER AGAIN!! I have the worst mood swings ever and I've been spotting for a month. I rather get my period once a month then spot for an entire month. I will NOT be getting the shot again."

Darbi (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I loved Depo. I used the generic from age16-21. My insurance stopped covering the shot. I miss it! On my first shot of depo, my period got shorter and lighter each month, and on my second shot, I don't think I had a period. I know by the third shot, I trusted depo. I threw away my emergency period travel purse before the end of the first year and never had a single drop of period for 5 years. Miracle. No condoms, no pregnancy. It helped my acne. My negative side effects were it changed my personality. I felt less social, lower libido (still functioned well), and some doctors tried to diagnose me with depression. I experienced sleep paralysis once every 6 months. Those negatives don't outweigh the positives for me!"

MissMyDepo June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Worst decision ever! Everyone I had talked to had good experiences. So I decided to go ahead and get it, despite my gut feeling and all of the horror stories I had heard. I have been bleeding for almost three months now and it is heavy. I have no energy, no sex drive and constant stomach and head pains. I spend a ridiculous amount on pads and tampons, have destroyed all of my underwear and to top it all off, can't afford health care, despite working 40+ hour weeks. PLEASE DON'T GET."

Jena Sophia (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the depo provera and I'm bleeding and won't stop. I've been feeling like I'm going to pass out. I got it in April this is June I'm still bleeding. What has this shot done to my body."

Keesha c42 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I went on the shot in early July (2016) because I had very heavy periods that I wanted to control. After the first month, my regular cycle came but NEVER stopped. I bled every single day until my next shot. The doctor told me it should stop after the second shot once it regulated in my body. About a week after my shot, I started bleeding even heavier. I was having to change my tampon each hour and blood clots were coming out of me. After a month of bleeding like that it began to settle. I decided that I was not going to get my third shot ( January 2017). Anyways it is now June and I am still bleeding every single day. I'm now Anemic and have no energy. Not to mention all of the money I have spent on pads and tampons."

mallory689975 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "At first, I loved the depo shot. I got 6 weeks after giving birth and I haven't had a period since, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, my appetite increased greatly and I ended up gaining so much weight that I'm back to wearing maternity clothes because none of my clothes fit. I weigh as much as I did at 40 weeks pregnant and I've only been on the shot for 7 months. My next shot is scheduled for next month, but I am switching back to a pill. I have always been thin and I feel like someone else in my heavier body. If you don't mind weight gain, it's a great option. But the weight gain is too much for me."

Laura1416 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Worst birth control I've ever been on. Even compared to needing my Mirena IUD surgically removed. All birth control comes with side effects but I had the worst experience with the depo shot. I stayed on it just over a year and a half (thinking it would get better eventually?) and I decided not to continue it, with all the issues I've had. ZERO sex drive, extreme fatigue, lots of weight gain, major anxiety (needed medication), moodiness.. now that I stopped, I'm having major abdominal cramping, similar to mild contractions. I would not recommend this birth control. I feel like I've become a completely different person with all these mood changes and fatigue. I hope I can get back to normal after this. Really regretting doing the depo.."

Jess343488 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "My last normal cycle was the 23rd of March 2017. On the 10th of April I started spotting on the 11th it stopped then I started spotting on the 14th then it stopped on the 15th then started bleeding on the 18th of April until the month ending very heavy and lots of clots. I went to the clinic and then sent me for a ultrasound and blood test I didn't have the money to do these so the following week I checked myself into the emergency room at the hospital they gave me provera to stop the bleeding which it stopped in 5 days of taking 2 pills 3 times a day. The scans came back negative of any growths. I started bleeding again on the 24th now taking provera prescribed at 2 pills 2 times its day 5 still bleeding from the 24th I'm so tired ....."

PinkKryptonite June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "My experience with this medication started when I was 14 yrs old. I knew nothing about this medication and I wish someone would have sat down and told me what exactly this medication does! I decided for the 3rd time to try to get off this medication, I finally decided this time it was enough, so my last shot was Oct 2016. THE BEGINNING was great I was happy go lucky outgoing had my life back after having a beast reduction. No period no cramps gained a few pounds but it was worth it at the time for freedom. NOW at 23 I've been in the hospital and given 3 pills at once. I've soaked threw over 10 pads a day and blood clots after blood clots depression weight gain acne severe cramps dizziness tiredness and withdrawals from this medication."

HOPING 2 CHANGE SOMEONE1S LIFE (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2017