User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Depo-Provera, Provera, depo-subQ provera 104

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Meelah June 13, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “So I took my shot in May 2020 after my period came off and at first I had tenderness where they injected me in the butt. It's June now after two weeks I started feeling period pains but not a period just cramps really bad and nauseous, because when I get my periods I have to boo boo a lot throw up and I get hot n cold and cramp really bad, and have no appetite. Like I would not recommend but if you have cramps bad drink some tea with ginger in it and honey the ginger helps so much almost instantly love you guys God bless”

NicknameNotmyrealnamr · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “When I first got the shot I bled for a month straight. This is pretty normal. Then I didn’t have a period for the duration of my time on the shot. However....I kept starting and stopping. Don’t do this or else your body will have to start all over again. Like if you stop and start you body will have to go through the cycle and you might go through the bleeding for spotting for a month or so.. But after my 3rd start over I just didn’t bleed anymore during the adjustment period. I was on depo for around 2.5 years and I got paranoid that maybe I might become infertile. That’s a risk for almost every medication though. I’m currently off the shot. It took 6 months for my period to come back after I stopped the shot cycle for good. Which is what actually scared me the most about me being infertile even more. But 10/10 pregnancy prevention for me. This baby was like metal armor for me. I am hoping to get back on it soon.”

Jd · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got this Depo-Provera shot in May on the first day of my period and it stopped. Ever since then I have been moody, have had cramps all day. It’s June now and I’ve started spotting bright red. I’ve been feeling anxious all the time as well. Please don’t do this to your body!”

Lumlady · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Ok so I have been on Depo-provera for almost 10 years. My last injection was February 14th, I had a period for 3 days on June 1st which is normal for me... Today is June 4th 2020 I HAVE BEEN very nauseated could I be pregnant??”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“I got my first shot in January 2020. I was told to start the shot you need to be on your period. I have now had my period for 4 straight months nonstop. Not spotting, but heavy bleeding for FOUR STRAIGHT MONTHS. It caused me to have depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts because of the hormone imbalance. I lost any and all sexual desires, and lost a lot of friends because of my mood swings. I will never be going back onto this medication, and I do not recommend anyone ever going on this type of birth control!”

Gladys · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I only see the negative sides effects of depo-provera being listed. Well I started the depo mid last year (2019) and so far so good I haven't hard any challenges or side effects while on it. Before the injection I used to bleed heavily with painful cramps but since I started this, no cramps with lighter bleeding that lasts for up to 3 days. Mind you before I used to bleed for seven days. I think it's all about ones body just because it failed on you doesn't mean it will fail on another person, people are different”

A · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 31, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “In high school I was on the pill, then a few years ago I had the Nexplanon implant, and after side-effects and complications with that I switched to Depo-provera. It was a huge improvement from the implant, although came with some minor side effects that I wasn't aware of. It has helped managed my anxiety and also my depression to a lesser extent, and has been effective at preventing pregnancy. I have no period, and only occasional mild spotting. However, my sex drive took an almost unbearable nosedive. That's the only awful thing. Also uncomfortable vaginal dryness. Other than that, I'd recommend it.”

M D · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Got the Depo-shot in August 2019. Had underlying general anxiety that was manageable. Now it is full blown anxiety that required me to be on anti-anxiety medication for a year, then pending review. Do NOT take Depo-provera That is only one of the major side effects it caused. Now also have more painful periods after it came back and just a general feeling of being unwell. And take note that I only took one dose that lasted 3 months. Horrible experience. The entire 3 months on it, I also had constant nausea and headaches.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 25, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!! I was 110lb now I’m 150lb I gained 40 pounds. my breasts are always tender and I’ve been on my period for a month now. It was good at the start I had no periods but I was moody as anything. I work out everyday 3 times a day I’m highly active and on a strict diet but that didn’t stop me from gaining all this weight. Not to mention now I have to get a breast reduction. I rate Depo-provera Negative —1000000000/10”

Jan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I wouldn't even rate this as a 1. It has destroyed my life!! I gave birth in November 2019 and had my first injection in January during our postnatal check up. I started bleeding in March with light spotting which has continued to this day but now heavy bleeding. I only had the one shot!! I don't sleep at night with worry and have contacted the doctors a number of times about the bleeding. Would not recommended!!”

Marie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “On my second round of the shot and the irregular periods( bleeding all the time) sucks. If this is going to happen I’m going to be getting off”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had my shot on April 17th 2020. My cousin recommended this birth control and she said its great cause you won't have a period for a long time. But its very opposite to mine. It is my 2nd week of spotting. Aside from that I have acnes all over my face. Mood swings, anxiety. I even had suicidal thoughts. I always dreamt of my man cheating and its so frustrating. Plus no sex drive. I don't feel like having sex. I don't recommend this at all. This will be my first and last. I'll go back to pills better.”

Sasha May 2, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got on depo in Jan 2020, it was ok for the first two weeks then I got my period and I've been bleeding since then (no pain) . The procedure doesn't seem expensive until you consider the number of pads, tampons and pantyliners you have to buy. My skin is breaking out I have bad acne and nothing seems to be working on getting it off,I was supposed to go for another shot on the 15th of April but I decided not to get it until the bleeding stops. I'm very temperamental and moody, I'm a ticking bomb, and I don't not recommend to any one.”

aventurine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 7, 2020

Depo-subQ provera 104 (medroxyprogesterone): “I tried taking birth control pills first but it didn’t work out because I would always miss a day or two which wasn’t good. So I switched over to Depo-Provera Contraceptive I wasn’t told or aware of the side effects this form of birth control had. This was just convenient for me because first, I don't want a kid right now. Second, Depo Provera lasts about 3 months which was good for me I didn’t have to worry about whether or not I missed a day to take a pill, or getting pregnant. I was on it for about 9 months and since then I’ve noticed a huge change in my body , my mental health, and just my overall mood. About a month ago I was supposed to get the contraceptive again , but I haven’t gotten it and I’m pretty sure I won’t get it again. Till this day I am having real bad side effects of this shot, My anxiety levels has increased, headaches are worse, I tend to vomit more since I’ve been off it and I have a very bipolar mood.”

SadlyFrustrated · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I used to take this form of birth control for years and never had an issue. 6 years after getting off it I went back on it after I changed my sexual partner. I noticed I have had a fishy smell 6 weeks after I got the shot. My bleeding though at the end of the three month cycle was horrible. I bled heavily everyday for 5 weeks. I do not recommend this medication to any women.”

JT · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got on depo on January 15 of 2020. Ever since I got on it, I have bleeding since then. I am tired of having to use tampons and pads just so I don’t ruin any of my clothing. Depo is very effective in my opinion but when I first got on it. I was moody and emotional for no reason! My hormones were off the track but as of now? It’s good! I have no experienced any weight gain so I have to say I am okay with this. Just not with the consistent bleeding.”

Super Disappointed · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL! It is effective at preventing pregnancy but the side effects for me are not worth it at all. I have been on it for about 2 months now and I am suffering everyday. Before the shot everything was fine with me but about 2-3 weeks after I got it I started getting terrible stomach pains, headaches, bad acne on my back which I've never had before, and before the shot I've never got a UTI but since I got it I'm constantly getting painful reoccurring UT’s no matter how much water I drink, I even had to go on antibiotics twice and they came back. My sex drive is so low now because when I have sex I am in so much pain, and I know I don’t have diseases, infections etc. because my doctors even did tests and they all came back negative. THIS IS JUST THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!! I WOULD RATHER GET PREGNANT 10 TIMES THEN GET THIS SHOT AGAIN!!!”

Adonnelly101 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “This shot has been horrible for me. I thought it would stop my periods or at least make it lighter. But I have been spotting that’s kinda looks like a period but it’s not. Some days I don’t bleed and it comes back all the time and I bleed almost everyday and I always have cramps and I’m miserable. I’ve had this shot for seven months and it should have stopped by now. Never getting this shot again. Biggest regret.”

TLC · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I started out using this medication for birth control reasons. I never had an issue with acne or anything like that before or after starting this medications. I didn’t notice excess weight gain or any of the so-called “common” side effects. The only thing that happened was I stopped having my period completely after a month or so. And I was okay with that since I’ve always had painful menstrual cycles. I was on this medication for 5 years but was told that I had to change birth control methods due to bone density issues that others have had. I cannot wait to get back on it when I can.”

Yaya · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “The depo provera is horrible. My daughter is using it and it has turned my child into an awful person. Her attitude and the rages are unbearable. This shot has no reversal.”

RJk · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had a medical abortion at 4 weeks pregnant for personal reasons. The nurse, in a way, forced me to have this injection. I asked her about the side effects and she only mentioned weight gain which I thought would be fine as I’m quite petite and wouldn’t mind gaining weight. However, after reading all these reviews and doing my own research I’m unsure it was the best decision. I’m terrified of the damage it may have already caused to my body and I will definitely not be taking this injection again.”

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “On 9/13/19, the nurse gave me the 1st depo shot but she didn't said nothing about the side effects. I spotted until 1 week before thanksgiving. Then I bleed every other day. I gained a few pounds, no sex drive, vaginal dryness and had some strong cramps. On 12/29/19, I went to the ER and the doctor said Depo is making me bleed and it should stop within couple months. After that day, I bleed heavier everyday & I was getting tired of it. I went online to see reviews about this & I discover a remedy. I took two 1300mg Evening Primrose oil capsule each day and on the 5th day my bleeding stop. The FDA should never approve this shot. I hope one day the FDA will take this off the market. No lady should suffer like after taking a medicine that should help them.”

Ash February 2, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I love the depo shot I’ve been on it six years almost. I haven’t had any issues with it other than minor acne, but I’ve always struggled with that my whole life. However, I know this isn’t for everyone, but it works best for me. You have to take calcium everyday to make sure your body isn’t losing out on it.”

Cupcake · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 30, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “My periods were always heavy I started using depo shot in 2018 When I was 38 I was on the shot for 2 years this year I will be on the shot for 3 years my appointment for my next injection is on February ,17 my last injection was on Nov .9 2019 I hope that my period won’t be heavy until my next injection”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “DON’T DO IT I’m a nurse, had my mirena removed as 5 years had passed and wanted something short term for birth control. Thinking of baby planning... My gynae suggested depo, she didn’t give me any huge information but I took her recommendation. 3 weeks in I started crying for no reason and hysterically. I became anxious to the leave the house. I had achey hips, bloating, weight gain and hot flushes. When speaking to Drs and pharmacist they explained I was in ‘temporary menopause’ and I’d have to ride it out. I’m now 7 weeks in and still not feeling myself. My emotions have improved, I still have pain and bloating. Dreading coming off the depo and wished I’d conducted my own private research. Will not be taking the next injection let alone ever again. I’ve also been told ovulation can take months to return, which horrified me as I told my gynae I wanted short term contraception as was hoping to start planing for kids in a year max.”