User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Depo-Provera, Provera, depo-subQ provera 104

Medroxyprogesterone has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 87 ratings for the treatment of Endometriosis. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Upward Spiral · Taken for 10 years or more October 13, 2013

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on Depo now for over 20 years - I should be paid to be their poster child. It was the miracle medicine for me and my body. After 10 horrific years of monthly hell, I started Depo. Immediately, the periods went away, my hormones balanced and I literally regained my life. I have had no long term effects, no weight gain, no side effects at all. For the right person, this works amazingly well. For others, it does not. But it IS worth a try!”

clarissa ann January 10, 2013

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got on this as a teenager for my endometriosis. Besides spotting for the first four months I have had no ill effects. No weight gain. In fact its hard to keep weight on. I got off of it to have my kids. Now I'm back on it. It's so much easier raising toddlers without cramps and random bleeding. I recommend it highly. Don't let bad experiences scare you. I actually had a horrible time with the pill. I love my Depo shots!”

Advent September 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on the Depo-provera injection for close to 3 years for Endometriosis. It has made a huge difference. Pain is gone or super mild. No periods. Downside, the injection site is always sore for a few days, as well as my legs after injection. I may spot for a little after injection as well. I can tell the injection is wearing off towards the end of the three months because I start feeling my endo pain and I start getting acne. Have I gained weight on the Depo? Yes. But I don't believe it to be because of the Depo. For one, these past three years I have dealt with a lot and I mean a lot of stress. Marriage issues, loss of a parent, moving, job stress, etc. I'm definitely an emotional eater. But these past six months I pulled myself together, started exercising and eating healthier. I have lost 30lbs!”

TN mom March 5, 2014

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I was hesitant to try this but I really didn't want to have a hysterectomy. I've already had one ovary/tube out due to my endometriosis. I was recently diagnosed with also have adenomyosis now. It was Depo-Provera, Lupron or a hysterectomy. I read so many terrible reviews that it had me nervous but I tried it anyway. I've gained a few pounds but am also 45 and lazy so that may be the more likely culprit. My acne is actually gone. I've had no endometrosis symptoms. My hair is slightly thicker. For me it's been a miracle. We're hoping to be able to have these results until menopause hits.”

Refinnejean April 18, 2013

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I love the Depo shot. No side effects at all. I read so many negative reviews before I took my first shot. I have experienced none of the side effects I read about in the reviews. I have not had any break through bleeding as many people described. I have had no periods after the first shot. Before Depo, I had painful cramps before and during my period. No pain and no weight gain. I am so pleased with this form of birth control.”

Anonymous January 7, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I was very unhappy on this drug. My pain was not reduced as it should have been. I spotted for the entire 6 months I was on it. I was extremely depressed, had no libido whatsoever and gained 20 pounds. This did not work well for me for this condition at all. Unfortunately once it is in your system you are stuck with it. It took a full year for my body to readjust once I was off it and to stop spotting. It was also hard to lose that weight afterwards.”

Sammmm · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2013

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got on the shot in April 2012 for many reasons. 1. I worked at the YMCA in the pool & I didn't want to worry about bleeding 2. My cramps were torture! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. During the first month or so I did spot and have some cramps but they eventually stopped. I love the shot. I did gain some weight but that was some what my fault because I stayed unactive. But with a good diet and some exercise you won't gain weight! Recommend it to everyone!”

nkb · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2014

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “My doctor put my on Depo-Provera after laproscopy for endometriosis. I had irregular periods after the first shot and after the second I remember I had one period that seemed to last for a month. This is a known side effect and as promised it went away after the third shot. I haven't had my period now in about a year. I also haven't had any debilitating endometriosis symptoms either. I think I gained about 5 lbs total but then again I'm also in my 40s and that could simply be a part of aging. I am a big fan. It gave me nearly total relief after getting through the first 6 months.”

Alexandria R March 24, 2014

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've only had one shot so far, but it has now been almost two months since I got the shot. I heard good things about this shot, and I was hoping it would take care of my really severe cramps! I skipped my period the month after I got the shot, but then the month after that, it came back. I would say my period is a lot lighter now, but it has lasted twice as long as it normally does. My cramps have been better, as they are now tolerable. But, they are still there. I have noticed a really big change in mood swings and emotions. I get in cranky moods WAY more often. At least once a day. I also have noticed that I cry super easily now, even over little things. Again though, it has only been two months. Maybe things will start to get better.”

missbones · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2014

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have severe endometriosis and a lot of scar tissue from laparoscopic surgery four years ago when they removed two large cysts that were wrapped around my fallopian tube, which I lost. Then last year my right ovary hemorrhaged and I bled internally for two days, two weeks ago I had a cyst rupture on my ride side. I am SO done with being in pain. I've been in non stop monthly HELL for the past 4 years! So I got back on the Depo-Provera shot. I took it when I was a teenager for two years for my endo pain. And I loved it. I am so glad to be back on it. I am also on a seizure medicine that makes birth control ineffective, but has no effect on the Depo shot, so that is another plus.”

Anonymous August 27, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Depo has been great for relief of pain from endometriosis. I am on my 3rd shot. No more period, but I do spot the whole month before the next shot is due. I am hoping that will stop as my body gets used to it more. The shot is painless, the only side effect I have noticed is minor weight gain and my sex drive has decreased a bit. I am okay with that at least the pain is gone. I got scared reading what everyone had to say about this drug and almost didn't get it. I am glad I took the chance to see how "I" reacted to it. Everyone is different. I am very satisfied with it.”

annajw July 25, 2012

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “It has been almost 6 months since my shot and I have been on my period the whole time. I gained 45 pounds and I was the most depressed I've ever been. I went insane with mood swings, my already bad pain got worse, and I had head splitting migraines among other things. I don't recommend it to anyone. It should come with a prescription for Xanax and some weight loss pills to try to stay on top of things.”

Emmamp · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 23, 2019

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on depoprovera for almost 2 years now, it was working great no side effects and also keeping my endometriosis under control (the main reason it’s all I can use). Suddenly I started having large gushes of blood while not on a period with the depo provera. I would spot for a few days then stop then a large gush, heavy enough to bleed through my oversize pad and my clothing. I have had many ultra sounds, MRI, and still no answer to why this started after being on it for so long. If anyone else has experienced that I would love to know if you have found a cure. I need the depo to help my endometriosis so unfortunately I can’t use any other form of birth control.”

thunderseed July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've been taking Depo for about 15 years and it's never given me any negative symptoms. I went on it very young because I had painful abnormal periods. I haven't had any menstral cycles the whole time, which means no pain. I've never struggled with weight gain. My bones are healthy and strong, in fact I've never had a broken bone in my entire life. It's highly effective as a birth control and I am very happy with it.”

AliciaMorgan September 12, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “At 22 I was diagnosed with stage 4 Endo. At 24 I had a hysterectomy. At 28 I had a Salpingectomy, and at 29 began Depo for the second time in my life after an incredibly painful cyst ruptured. I am 30 now and my dr and I know that at some point, one at a time, we will remove my ovaries. This info is important because I don’t have a lot of the “equipment” most women have when dealing with this disease. Pros: I was so estrogen dominant that I now feel stable for the first time in 15 years. My anxiety levels have dropped and, despite the craziness of 2020, am not feeling depressive where I normally would. My daily pain has gone down significantly and my intense pain doesn’t last as long. Cons: a bit of weight gain. I’m pretty active and healthy but have seen about 8lbs that are difficult to get off. My sleep has been more interrupted by heat flashes but as my body adjusts, that seems to be getting better. Overall, for me, Depo has been worth it.”

Cytogirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2014

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I refused to get the shot because I had researched Depo for a paper in college, but it came down to Depo or severe anemia. So I received the shot and the next morning I was praising Jesus because the shot got rid of the almost constant back pain I'd had for 2 years since delivering my twins. Doctors kept telling me it was a sprained muscle only it never healed, now I believe it was endometriosis.”

Mybelle February 8, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have exceptionally painful periods due to endometriosis and so far, Depo is the only thing that has eliminated all of my pain, along with my periods. I had previously been on it for 7 years, then stopped after my doctor suggested it was time for a break. I did a bone density study & had lost no bone density, which was a big concern. After about a year of pain, I just went back on it this month. I will be getting a hysterectomy within the next couple of years & then I will be off the Depo. No complaints here.”

Judii47 March 6, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've had endometriosis my whole life... Six surgeries.. I was on Lupron 2x.... Birth control pills.... Finally the depo was my last resort.... The first time it made me bleed everyday for 7 months... I didn't give up on it... It made me gain weight because it increases your appetite and u don't realize it until u go off of it.... I still didn't give up... I've been on it now for 5 years and I have joined weight watchers and increased excercise..... I have not had a period in 5 years..... I don't miss the agony ... The pain... The hospital visits.... Being bed ridden for 3 days a month.... I love the Depo...and now I'm making progress with losing weight so I'm happy...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “If you ever start to have a period while on depo all you have to do is take 1 month of birth control pills and it will put you back on track. My obgyn let me know this when I told her about my friends experience. She got the depo and had a period for weeks, but a pack of birth control pills fixes it. Just in case y'all never been told this.”

Niki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been having the depo-Provera injection as I have endometriosis. It has worked wonders for me, after the first 2 injections I was spotting a lot, but after the third it stopped my periods completely- which were so heavy and painful. The only down sides are when I first get the injection I am really grumpy for the first few weeks. My sex drive is no where near as high as it used to be and I have gained weight, which the doctors tell you will only happen if you eat more. I find this not to be true, I have been exercising more than I ever have and eat so healthy all of the time. No matter what I am doing I can’t seem to loose the weight.”

CJ · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2018

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I started depo 20 years ago for birth control & never had any issues. In fact, after the first injection I lost 10lbs without trying. I think because I’m estrogen dominant, the shot keeps it in check. It completely eliminated all my PMS symptoms & evened me out. I went off it every couple years for a few months because of the bone loss warning. However, during the time I was off it, I started having horrible endometriosis symptoms. I now take it every 11 weeks faithfully & with the exception of the week before the shot is due, I am completely symptom free. I’m 42 & still weigh between 108-114lbs. The shot if anything keeps my weight in check by managing the estrogen. I’m sure some people have different reactions & the shot may not work for everyone, but for me it’s been amazing.”

Salem0 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “DON'T GET ON DEPO-PROVERA. As someone who has struggled with endometriosis for about 10 years, it is nice not having a period...BUT I gained 40 FORTY pounds in 3 months. I was about 90 pounds and was excited when the lady told me average about 10 pounds are gained. I am 130 now and I have had to buy a new wardrobe. I suffered from an eating disorder when I was in high school, now graduated from college and recovered, I am starting to hate myself again. Not worth it.”

Allishaew August 13, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on the shot for almost two months and I absolutely hate it. When I got the shot I was actually due for my period and never got it. I ended up getting my period about 2 weeks ago and have not stopped bleeding. I can not have sex, I can't wear white pants because it's so heavy, I can't go to the bathroom ( number 1 or number 2) because it hurts so bad, I have had horrible cramps, I don't sleep, I'm exhausted all the time, and I am constantly feeling grumpy. At this point I almost feel like nothing is going to help my endometeriosis, I'm 22 years old and due to be married in a month and I can't even have sex because it hurts so bad.... I would not recamend this shot, it's a waste of time and causes false hope.”

Jojo · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2019

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Best birth control drug I have used for my endometriosis treatment. I was on it for about 2 years the first time, and had switched to nexplanon but it didn’t work as well. I have since switched back to depo provera and have enjoyed the same benefits as I had before. I have never experienced any weight gain or lower sex drive from any birth control I’ve ever been on and I was diagnosed at 17 (I am turning 24 in August for reference)! This drug has been great as none of the other methods, including the pill have worked. This has been the only medication to provide any sense of relief from pain and ovarian cysts developing. This medication has also been the only drug to effectively put my body in “medical menopause” which the doctors told me I needed to experience a remission from endometriosis after my surgery at 17. I will never look back after using this medication. It’s also convenient that I just pop into the doctor once every 3 months for not even 5 minutes”

bek · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got my first injection in January this year for extreme periods (lasting months at a time) and cramping (so bad that I used to faint), doctors didn’t want to do endometriosis discovery surgery so they put me on the depo-provera instead. Within 2 weeks of the first injection, my personality completed changed; severe depression, zero sex drive, anxious, irritable, gained 35 pounds, extreme fatigue - the list goes on. I stayed on the injection because there was nothing else the doctor would do. I can’t leave the house without putting in an “emergency tampon” in case I start gushing blood in the grocery store. I still have severe cramps and crazy random bleeding and the depression is getting worse. I finally switched doctors and have started transitioning off the injection and onto 5mg progesterone instead. Do not get this injection unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Totally ruined a year of my life.”

Learn more about Endometriosis