User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Endometriosis (Page 4)

Also known as: Depo-Provera, Provera, depo-subQ provera 104

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

K'D March 9, 2011

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had extreme pain from endometriosis along with multiple surgeries including an appendectomy when a huge cyst ruptured and irritated it. I was barely able to work due to constant doubled over pain and ruptured cyst. Now I'm on Depo, I got the shot in early January and am due at the end of March. So far I haven%u2019t gained too much weight although I notice some water weight. I only started spotting this month for a week, the next week was heavy bleeding, now I'm back to spotting. I just started getting a bit of acne but nothing to bad. My beautician and I noticed some areas where my hair thinned out and my hair is already kind of thin. I'm trying the low dose for March and I'm going to take Vitamin B complex to see if this helps.”

Anonymous April 1, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on this for the better part of the last 10 years! I loved the convenience of only having to deal with it 4 times per year. I also was lucky enough to rarely have a period (maybe light spotting once a year). However in the last 6 months, I've been having heavy, irregular periods so I am looking into different treatment but I will miss the ease of the shot!”

64978463 March 8, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I guess the only advice I have is for everyone on or considering this medication to weigh the pros and cons. I've been on the shot for 5 years now, and have recently had to have my frequency increased to every 8 weeks, versus the normal 12. My cycle completely stopped 2 weeks after my first injection. I have only had a few breakthrough bleeds, which have been treated with anti-inflammatory drugs or and additional dose of the Depo. I have had some side effects. I've gained about 15-20 pounds, but it showed up "in the right places". I get very moody occasionally, but I'll take that over amenorrhea any day.”

Mybelle February 8, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have exceptionally painful periods due to endometriosis and so far, Depo is the only thing that has eliminated all of my pain, along with my periods. I had previously been on it for 7 years, then stopped after my doctor suggested it was time for a break. I did a bone density study & had lost no bone density, which was a big concern. After about a year of pain, I just went back on it this month. I will be getting a hysterectomy within the next couple of years & then I will be off the Depo. No complaints here.”

Anonymous January 7, 2010

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I was very unhappy on this drug. My pain was not reduced as it should have been. I spotted for the entire 6 months I was on it. I was extremely depressed, had no libido whatsoever and gained 20 pounds. This did not work well for me for this condition at all. Unfortunately once it is in your system you are stuck with it. It took a full year for my body to readjust once I was off it and to stop spotting. It was also hard to lose that weight afterwards.”

Beyond the Pink Ribbon November 7, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've been on the Depo-Provera injection since the 1994 inception of off-label use for Endometriosis. For the last few years I've started having some side effects over the two - four weeks prior to each injection including severe fatigue and hot flashes. I'll take those side effects any day compared to how I lived when my "Endo" ruled my day to day life. I've been pain free for years as a result of the 15 years of Depo injections. Other side effects? I guess we will see.”

Angelicurse September 26, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have taken Depo-Provera now for 4 years. It took care of the severe pain, cramping, and hot flashes. I have also not had a period since or even spotted. Although it has helped positively with these things there are negative side effects. I gain and plateaued at a whopping 57 pounds. I gained the first 25 pounds in the first 3 months, keeping in mind that I had not changed eating habits or exercise, and now I have stretch marks from the rapid weight gain. All I can say is to try it yourself, this is just how it affected me.”

Anonymous September 14, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had been on Depo for 5 years as a birth control method. I knew that there was always something wrong with doctors. They just told me that I had bad period cramping and basically to deal with it. It is only now after I stopped the Depo, to try and fall pregnant, that doctors have now tested me for and confirmed that I have endometriosis. The pain that I am in now is crazy, but I am not going to go back on it in the hope that I may just by chance perhaps fall pregnant! It worked really well for me when I was on it though, had no cramping as my periods had stopped completely.”

Anonymous August 27, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Depo has been great for relief of pain from endometriosis. I am on my 3rd shot. No more period, but I do spot the whole month before the next shot is due. I am hoping that will stop as my body gets used to it more. The shot is painless, the only side effect I have noticed is minor weight gain and my sex drive has decreased a bit. I am okay with that at least the pain is gone. I got scared reading what everyone had to say about this drug and almost didn't get it. I am glad I took the chance to see how "I" reacted to it. Everyone is different. I am very satisfied with it.”

Anonymous April 20, 2009

“I have used Provera for four years and have never suffered from any side effects. The only draw back is that my doctor insists that I have a period every 3 months. I take 10mg 3 times a day and this stops my periods and therefore all the problems that are associated with endometriosis. I only wish I could take the pills permanently.”

Anonymous March 5, 2009

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had extreme nausea and vomiting within a week of getting my first and ONLY shot of Depo-Provera.”

Learn more about Endometriosis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)