User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had problems with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) fainting around my period. I was tested negative for anemic. The doctors tested everything and everything was negative. I started the shot in March and it is now July and I gain 10ish pounds (which is common) and have not fainted at all! Great medicine. Works different for everybody."

Marie899 July 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Depo has been AWFUL,I had my child February 2016,bled that whole month frombthe baby,then had my regular period,started the shot in April and have bled every day since,its now July 17. I'm almost on my second pack of lo loestrin and it still hasn't stopped. "

Ammssxxo July 17, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm a 31 year old diagnosed with PCOS. I've been having irregular periods since the age of 15. They put me on birth control which regulated them. Now older they are worried about my blood pressure and blood clots. The longest I've gone without a period is a year and a half. The last 3 months ive had spotting everyday. Dr put me on Provera 10 pills every 3 months. I got my period on the 4th day of taking pills and am now dealing with debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding and clotting bigger than quarter size. I bleed through a tampon and pad every hour. Had to leave work early today because I bled through my pants in a matter of 30 minutes. It's been like this for 3 days and is unbearable. When will it end?"

Kookygrl21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been bleeding for almost 4 months. I did not get the second shot because the bleeding, I hope it stops soon since I didn't get the second shot. Worst experience ever"

Suzyq12 July 13, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Ive been taking this shot since April 2016 and i swear i started bleeding June 4 and i havent stopped. I have jabbing pain all the time. I never know when Im going to need a pad. I may go half the day without any bleeding and then then go to the bathroom and bam blood. I recommend not getting this thing it is absolutely awful :("

Babyblue30 July 12, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have bled 60+ days. I am on day two of provera. The nausea, cramping, diarrhea, bloating, and vaginal dryness is horrible, I have stopped bleeding though. I am scheduled for 10mg for 10 days for the next three months."

Emily1234 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been using the depo shot on and off for about 5 years now. I got off it a few years ago due to the increase in weight gain that I got. so I switched to the pill. after a while I decided to go back onto the depo shot. in February 2016, I received my first dosage and everything was fine. near the end of April I began to get my period again, just figuring I needed to go back in for my next injection. after I got my second dose, my period has not gone away since APRIL. I have been bleeding for over 3 months now and I just cannot deal with it anymore. my doctor won't do anything about it besides tell me to wait out the three months for the depo to leave my system. well here I am... 3 months later and bleeding heavier than ever."

mishhhhhhh July 6, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My first shot was 17 years ago I remember being told by many people it made me crazy! I was also an active addict. I took dp off and on for a couple years it took me 17 years to finally get pregnant also I had only been sober for 6 months out of that 17 years in which I conceived after 6 months of being sober. It had been over 10 years since taking the shot which I try to blame too. I now have two babies and tried the shot again for about 9 months now. I would much rather have another baby than what it does to my mind and body. It's not good for me!!!! Will be glad when it's totally out of my system has only been 2 months since I was suppose to have gotten a shot I feel allot better just knowing I don't have to take it and I can get better"

Insanity shot me July 6, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the depo shot after having a very painful period, and it seemed to work great, but only for one week after the shot. After the one week of no bleeding, I began to bleed straight everyday (some days heavier than others). When I told my Dr.'s (several specialists) they told me it was just spotting and when I get the 2nd shot things would get better, but I wouldn't call filling up a regular tampon on every hour spotting. I wish I told my Dr. The real amount of blood is was losing, because I would have never got the second shot. It has now been six months of bleeding for me. My second depo shot reached it full experation over a month ago, and it doesn't seem like the bleeding has lightened up at all. Depo has been the worst experience."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "It's been about three months for me but these last three months I been bleeding for two weeks stright every month and this month it's going on three weeks. It sucks I'm having bad mood swings and real bad headaches."

Danyelle14_ July 1, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've had horrible experience with this stupid shot. I've been bleeding now for A MONTH non stop. It's awful I encourage NOT to get the shot. Unless you like bleeding for a month non stop and it still hasn't stopped !"

Bai June 28, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got this april 2016 and have experienced extreme depression, rapid weight gain, irregular bleeding for weeks, acne, increased breast size, decreased sex drive and horrible mood swings. This has been the worst time of my life."

Leggy88 June 26, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot to help with my suspected endometriosis pain thinking that things couldn't get worse but boy was I wrong! I went from having a pretty normal monthly period but with really bad pain to getting migraines which I haven't experienced since age 13 (I am now 29). At first it pretty much stopped my period untill February (valentine's day) after that everything has been hell! I have unknown skin rashes on all 4 of my limbs that got ridiculously worse and the bleeding has become uncontrollable! 6 months later and I feel like I'm going to die! I am still getting migraines, I don't know when my period will ever be normal again. My Dr's only answer to me is to take the Depo Lupron. No way! Do yourself a favor and DO NOT GET THIS SHOT"

AlyseK June 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 46 yrs old, I started Depo Provera to control my severe periods. I've had 2 shots so far. The first month I had spotting. This month I have had bleeding, clotting and cramps for over 12 days and continuing. I've also noticed mood swings. I've also noticed an uptick in my blood pressure which I've been watching closely. I'm not sure I'll be takeing the next shot. I don't want excessive bleeding, moodiness and high blood pressure. These symptoms may also be attributed to my age,"

Abnormal bleeding, clotting (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "If I could give this a ZERO I would. Poison, complete poison. Do your children a favor and yourself, do not EVER get this shot.. I have been off of te medicine for over 7 years now and the effects are still rolling. I now receieve cycles for THREE months long! Every time. And don't receieve the cycle for at least 3-4 months. The clotting is the size of my hand, multiple times, daily... The bleeding is so abnormal, no one should ever have to deal with the amount of blood... Doctors can't do anything they state besides give me more pills, I don't want anymore medication, going herbal."

Feealy June 24, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been using the DP for almost 2years. I was left with this choice due to being a migraine sufferer I could not take the pill & was hospitalized from the iud with swollen tubes & ovarian cysts & abscesses (surgery to remove burst ones) & a personal preference of not wanting the rod . Before using the DP my periods were pain free, very light & lasted maybe 3 days Max. I had done my research & read about breakthrough bleeding for up to a year & thought "better than being pregnant right", because in my mind I was imagining sporadic spotting. Not incessant bleeding of weird colours & clots accompanied with constant stabbing pain. Gyno says continue with jab, take this, do that but I've given up, I may be a rare case but I wouldn't recommend"

KaityPotaty101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Horrible bleeding after getting fixed so I would no longer require birth control. Right after surgery they said if bleed and I did but now almost 4 months later I'm still bleeding. And the doctors say this is normal! I'm cramping and my sex life has been ruined because of this drug it's made me not even care to even have sex or even want it at all. This is the worst decision I've made besides an arm implant for birth control.(implanon) it cause me to have such a high blood pressure I lost my job because they were afraid id have a heart attack and not be able to help someone as a lifeguard."

Kenziem73 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 62 and have had spotty bleeding for the last 12 years, AFTER menopause had definitely set in. Recently the bleeding has intensified with cramps and small clots. Obviously something is wrong, but I need to get the bleeding under control first. The doctor prescribed the Provera 10 mg once daily for 10 days. It seemed to stop the bleeding if I took it to the exact hour every day, but if I missed a dose by a couple hours, then bleeding again. So I doubled the dose and started taking 1 tablet every 12-18 hours, which helped, mostly. The cramps have lessened but not disappeared. And I've had a dull headache for a week, with some relief as time goes on. How long am I going to have to take this drug so I can stop wearing a pad? Yuck."

GYPSYNELEH June 20, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My life has been so awful after this shot, I got it in April 2015, I started bleeding right after I got the shot horrible stomach pains horrible pain, emotionally a mess, it is now June 2016 I've been off of the depo sense dec 2015 and I've been bleeding non stop I am constant pain, I can't enjoy making love it is a mess and a chore and I am so depressed all the doctors just keep giving me like a whoah your bleeding that long and doing nothing for me"

Alexis97 June 17, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the pill for 4 months I was on the pill but was taken off because I suffer severe migraines and have family history of blood clots, I also have POCOS and my doctor said this is better for me. The first shot I got I bled severely 2 days after and was in so much pain and got hormone therapy and that helped and than got spotting few weeks later and that lasted on and off got my second shot just over a month ago no bleeding for 3 1/2 weeks and now I've been bleeding lightly on and off the last 2 weeks only old blood but hopefully this will stop soon apart from that no side effects other than some pimples. Hopefully my body gets use to it by 3-4th shot and the bleeding stops for good."

Amylee95 June 13, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "After four months with no period I went to the doctor and was put on provera. By the time I got to my second pill my period already started. I've never bled or been in so much pain. The doctor told me to take between 5-7 since I got it early. As of today I've officially been on my period for THREE WEEKS. I now realize the wickedness behind pharmaceuticals. They don't fix you, they cause more problems. My advice to everyone: look up a functional medicine doctor near you. They can fix your cycle, help you get pregnant, fix your thyorid. Whatever the issue is they will get to the bottom of it and they WILL HEAL YOU. NATURALLY. I wish I knew what I know now before getting on these man made drugs with more side effects than I can list."

MAWM07 June 10, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been receiving this shot since October 2015 and it has worked very well with little complication. I've had about two or three bouts of random bleeding (which might have been my cycle. I lost track of it) but they did come with normal PMS symptoms like mild cramps and fatigue. I did gain a little weight but I'm not too concerned about that. I was on the pill for a while and this has given me so much better results. The pill had terrible side effects (emotional and physical) and I hated having to remember to take it everyday. I was given a full tutorial of sorts about each type of birth control, what to expect with each, and how often it's taken. I did not experience anything that I was unaware might happen and haven't missed a shot."

NK98 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started the shot a week after my period ended in February 2016. I got my period at the end of March that lasted 1-2 weeks. Though it was annoying, I just went along with it because my flow was lighter than usual. When it had finally stopped I was good from mid April until the first week of May. I was due for another shot in May but I had already made the decision that I would not go back for it because the irregularity of my periods and the fact that I would spot after sex with my boyfriend became too much of a nuisance. After skipping the shot, I bled nonstop until the end of the month. This shot is a headache and I would have been better off without it. I'm just hoping that when my period comes for June it will be back to normal."

Shaystar446 June 3, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on depo since I was 13, I'm now 34. It has worked wonderfully for me and I don't really have any serious complaints. But a couple years ago, I started spotting out of the blue! I've never had that issue before, as my periods had completely stopped. Not sure if it is normal or not, but it's extremely painful and there is no way to track it or plan for it."

MsTavia May 29, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Started depo in Nov 2015 Wasn't too bad at first but I did get the occasional spotting and bleeding.Which sucked because it always happened when I went to see my bf(long distance relationship) Got my 2nd shot and the doctor said after this the bleeding should stop. A day later no bleeding. I was like great. Went to Jamaica in April. 2nd day im there, I start getting these cramps so I decide to go to the bathroom and check and wtf do I see? Blood. Since April 19th I have not stopped bleeding. It's now May 26th. It does say that if the bleeding persists for more than 14 straight days, to contact your doctor. Which I did He said that this wasn't for me at all and I'll be switching to the pill."

Kori33 May 25, 2016