User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Do not take this depo provera shot. I have not stop bleeding and I took one shot gained 4 pounds because of the shot so I have stopped taking it and now I'm bleeding and it won't stop. It's been going on for months now. I never had problems with my period until after I had the depo provera. Don't take the shot you will not maybe ever to have kids again. Bleeding doesn't stop. This shot should be discontinued and off the market."

Kristy 1985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Oh thank you all so much. I've done the same thing and have had continual bleeding which would normally accompany my period now for close to 8 weeks after receiving my first ever injection? I'm 46 and was regular up until January. Really scary and I think it must be the dosage within the injection if you're not used to it (ie not had contraception much during my life)? Our bodies are a temple - I just wish that the people who are prescribing solutions to our issues were more educated (and interested?) wishing you all the best :)"

Sammmmmmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Omg! DO NOT GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. I got my first shot like 3 weeks ago and lost all sex drive and have been bleeding constantly. My partner and I use to sleep together every time we were together and now I can't because of this blood. My hair is falling out too, my face is breaking out, I feel cranky and have no energy, I have no sex drive and the bleeding. This man made drug is clearly no good for us women and should be taken off the shelf!!!"

Beeeeccc May 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been bleeding nonstop since I got on this medication not to mention my hair is falling out! I can't even run my fingers through my hair without me losing a handful of hair I always said I wouldn't get the shot but I have in and I regret it so much!"

Xoxokld (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The Depo just doesn't work for me. It was great at first, it lightened my periods but 7 months in and my period started lasting up to 2+ weeks. Back in March 2017, I asked to get my shot early (I was due in April) in hopes to stop the bleeding and it did. A month later my period came back and I took these low dosage birth control pills my doctor gave me which stopped the bleeding up until I finished the pack this month, and I started bleeding again. This time, however, I'm bleeding A LOT. My cycle's super heavy, and my normal period's before depo were never like that. This depo is messing up my body and it's made me gained weight like crazy. I'm switching to the implant in my arm method tomorrow, and I really hope that works better for me"

Paperpetals May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was told that the depo is suppose to stop your period and any other problems you have when you're on it. As far as for me I got my first shot March 2017 and it's now May 2017. And since March 30th until now, I've been on my period non stop. I must say my sex drive did increase but hell I couldn't do anything. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to anyone because of my experience. I've lost a lot of blood to were I'm anaemic. I've also gained some weight and I'm starting to get bumps on my face. On top of that I found out I'm allergic to the medicine. This was by far the worse. I should of just stuck with the bc pill. Please for those looking for a easy way out of a period DO YOUR RESEARCH!!"

P-long beach08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was heavily bleeding for 2 months at the time; (as an fyi: I had no pain, cramps, thyroid, or cyst issues.) and was prescribed to take this for 7 days. I didn't have any side effects, and it didn't STOP the bleeding. However it did lighten the bleeding but a lot. I could wear a regular to light pad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "When I got this all the clinic told me was "We have the Depo shot, it's a shot you get every 3 to 4 months. You wont have a period and it is 99%effective." Of course that sounded appealing. But this was one of my worst decisions. Its not like the pill where if you feel side affects you can just stop taking it. I took this shot in Feb 2017 it is now May 2017. It is about time for my next shot but there is NO way I am getting it. I have bled every single day since Feb. Not a lot but enough to where I have to wear a pad everyday. I've never had acne issues but now it is constant, my sex drive has almost completely gone away and your period wont go back to normal for up to 12 months after the last shot..I would not recommend this to anyone."

LX3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this to stop abnormal bleeding. Was only supposed to take it for 7 days, then go back to the doctor. Literally on day 2 I quit and couldn't do it anymore. I spent 2 hours having a panic attack and crying in my bed in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever. Made me so sad, so miserable and depressed. I thought the mood swings would kill me. This was from TWO PILLS. I would rather die than live my life so unhappy. I'm not exaggerating. The mood swings were not something I can handle. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy."

Side Effects Were Horrifying (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Depo-Provera was the worst decision of my life!! I got my first shot in December (2016) and after the shot, I began to bleed heavy constantly. I went for my second shot in March (2017) and I still was bleeding. Here it is May and I'm still bleeding not as heavy as I was in January! But I've been bleeding every since DECEMBER 2016. It's so frustrating and depressing!! If anyone has found anything to stop abnormal bleeding due to Depo-Provera please help me and point me in the right direction. Please & Thanks!"

Karlee C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been on depo for about 7 years and am now just switching over to Kyleena (IUD). This was the best birth control for what I needed at the time. At the start I had severe cramps and highly abnormal bleeding. This was the ultimate lifesaver! After about 6 months of abnormal bleeding (this is very common when first starting depo), I stopped having a period all together. I would have given this a 10 if not for the more recent side effects I started experiencing. In the last year or so, I started experiencing a steady state of feeling down/low, easily agitated/quick to anger, and low libido. After some research I found other testimonials of people experiencing the same mood changes after being on depo for 5+ years. Only reason I'm switching."

Depo User for 7 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started my period in March. It's been mostly light bleeding but on Friday it got pretty heavy. By Tuesday I was in the ER because I was just passing softball sized ball every single time I stood up. I went to see my obgyn today and he prescribed me with provera. Prior to taking it, I was still passing huge clots and just overall felt miserable. I've barely had an appetite and just felt so tired. Within two hours of taking this pill, I could feel the difference. I had more energy, I don't feel stabbing pain in my lower back from cramps, and I don't feel like a waterfall is going to come pouring out of me when I stand up. I know this is only the first day and I still have 13 days to go on this pill, but so far it's been amazing."

Jlynnxoxo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Age: 35 Reason for meds: I was suffering from constant night-sweats, and extreme PMS at the end of my cycles. Due to a history of DVTs I was unable to use estrogen based b.c. My doctor put me on Depo-Provera to stop the night sweats and get my hormone levels back on track. Results: Mixed. The depo did stop the night sweats and mood swings, I never get my monthly break-out, and I've found that I've lost some weight because I'm no longer bloated. That's the good news. The bad news: I spotted or bleed continuously to the point where I became slightly anemic and needed a second hormone based b.c. to get the bleeding stopped."

OHLib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I hate this damn shot. Got my first one in the beginning of March. Had a 7 day period which I normally only last between 3 and 5 days and then dark brown/pinkish spotting for 7 days after. I went 3 weeks with no period and on 4/17 I started spotting again and haven't stopped yet and it 5/9. I'm not getting my next injection which is scheduled for next month at all. I'm letting this medication leave my system and I don't recommend it to anyone. For all of this I'd rather go off and deal with my regular periods and my man and I will be careful. Depo is not a good birth control for anyone."

Ki lynn May 9, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first shot March 12, which was the first day of my period. I bled for 7 days and then it went away. 45 days later I started a period. I have been on for two weeks now. My doctor prescribed me premarin which is supposed to stop the bleeding completely. I'm also to take folic acid, B12, and iron pills because I have lost so much blood in so little time. I'm always weak, tired, sleepy​, and extremely cold. Let's hope this premarin works."

Eyes_b May 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my shot February 7 day after I had my son I was bleeding like crazy this is been going on 3+ months my ob said there's nothing they could do and I'm currently still bleeding ugh"

Manseau May 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Awful experience on depo. Only had one shot - never again. Bleeding non stop for 3+weeks. Serious mood changes and anxiety. Total loss of libido! Been to the docs twice but nothing can counteract it so stuck with it making me feel lousy till it wears off. Do not recommend this contraceptive to other women. I would rather have be sterilised than feel the way I do !"

Debelost79 April 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Hi Jadeb as I have shared in my previous posts about my experience. Got my shot January 6 2017 bleed for for while which was heavy finally had to go to hospital because my blood level was critically low. Had to get blood transfusions because I was bleeding for 3 plus months heavy with clots. Please get your levels checked and take iron pills. Long story short my GYN did a D&C April 7th. It was the best decision. After the D&C I bleed for one day then spot for 7 days after no more spotting. I'm so relieved that I finally stopped bleeding. Because of this procedure. Please go see your GYN you may need to get this done."

Betty- lue 2017 April 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Had the IUD for almost 10 years but started to have abnormal lower abdomen cramps in the last few months to remove. So I gladly removed it and what a relieve it was. Now I decided to try the Depo shot. So the first few weeks no period and now I'm like bleeding for 3 weeks now. First dark brown then bright red for two weeks. Stop bleeding in 16 hrs then I'm bleeding again. This is not good. I can't have no intimacy with my partner, feeling week at times ( which I'm already anemic) mood swings, buying pads like crazy. I'm sick of this. I'm not going to enjoy my vacay. I dislike Depo with a passion"

SweetP305 April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started depo September 23rd 2016 I recently got my 3rd shot March 23rd. Mood swings are awful and I constantly have brown discharge or it will disappear and look normal and then bam bleeding out of nowhere like a gush and today its dark with small clots. I don't know what to do guys my boyfriend doesn't like blood so our sex life hasn't been the usual 4 days a week its more like 2 days every 2 weeks. Its kind of became a burden. Like most of you I have a hard time remembering to take pills so a shot every three months on the 23rd (I started depo the day I got my period) I used to bleed heavily on my periods to the point where I had to wear overnight pads for the first 4 days of it. Now honestly I regret ever being on depo."

Joceline marie April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I went on DEPO a few years ago for about 1.5 years. Before my cramps were so bad, I couldn't function for days. When I went on DEPO, it stopped my periods and cramping completely and drastically improved my quality of life. I went off the DEPO, because my fiance was stationed overseas and there was no point to be on it if he would not be around for a couple years. I went back on it in December 2015 a month before he was coming home. It was TERRIBLE!!!! I would have my period for 3 consecutive weeks. I would be good for 1 week and then it would start again. It was so frequent that I wouldn't even trust the week I didn't have it. I went off of it in December 2016. I will NEVER go back on DEPO"

KCHS1369 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "UPDATE: I wrote on here March 7,2017 complaining of bleeding since January, it is now April 26,2017 and I'm STILL bleeding. Almost 5 months!!! I only had one shot and I'm bleeding for this long... Anyone who has experienced this, how long did it take for the bleeding to stop? Did you period go back to normal?"

Jadeb April 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was put on Provera for abnormal bleeding due to uterine fibroids. It didn't help with the bleeding only made it worst. I had clotting the size of a golf ball and bad cramping...was told by nurse it can take up to 10 days for it to work well I was on it for 14 days and nothing changed."

D Robinson2798 April 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I first got Depo 4 years ago March 2013.... my periods disappeared completely... yes.. I've had no period for 4 years. It's hard to say any other symptoms at the time as I was on other meds as well. But I've just got off it for the first time March 2017 and the side affects getting off are terrible! I haven't stopped a mix of spotting and well lots of brown and black blood. I'm in a new relationship and we can't even have sex. I've had mood swings, Nausea, extremely sore breast, cramps and omg the acne. This drug was all well and good until I realised some of my issues the past couple yrs could have very much so been this drug. I've been referred to a gyn for abnormal issues such as post coital bleeding (b4 getting off depo) and pain in ovaries."

Yolo0987 April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my 1st shot Feb-2016. My tubes are tied but Dr. recommended I get it to help stop cramps I'd get prior to the shot. Bled the first 3 months after the shot & it didn't help so I asked my Dr if I needed it again. He said to try it for 6 months and stop if it didn't help. Got my 2nd shot May-2016 bled for that 6 months. Then I stopped as it never helped cramps. Its now April-2017 and I still have side effects-Mood Swings that are destroying my marriage. Depression, anxiety, headaches-. I've lost 32 lbs-(only weighed 122 prior to shot)dizziness, fatigue, acne, no sleep or too much- feelings of going crazy, cramps worse then before. Was told with regular period shot will leave. "

Katkai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017