User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 104 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the Depo shot because I had really bad anxiety. My OB read my chart from my reg doctor, and told me that I should be on some type of BC. I said okay. She recommended the SHOT. Such a bad choice now. I took the shot back in May 2017. I didn't have my period for the rest of that month. Then June 2nd came, I had a normal period. But after I THOUGHT is was done, I had spotting. Up until I started my period again. Then spotting up until my next period. We are now in Sept , I'm bleeding with BIG clots. Please do your research! It made me fell worse. My depression was worse and prolonged periods. I can't stand it. Loosing so much blood makes you feel weaker and tired. DON'T NOT GET THE DEPO SHOT."

Maria0221 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Ok, I went on this 10 mg 2x a day for about 4 weeks now. I needed to start because I hemorrhaged so bad in a single day my Hemoglobin dropped from 12 - 9, and then to 8 as I continued to hemorrhage, for 2 weeks after. As a result of hemorrhaging, I could not breath, my heart was racing from dehydration, and my body used all of my iron and ferritin, and then started destroying bone marrow to try and make hemoglobin. I started provera when my hematologist started ferritin infusions, and was afraid ANY bleeding would kill me. This medication causes me shortness of breath, racing heart, rashes, lethargy, vomiting, muscle pain; oh an I have been spotting since I started it! I feel worse then when I was literally dying before taking it."

feritless (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started on the shot in May of 2017. The whole point was to control my bleeding from my fibroids. As June rolled around, I got my period, which progressed into July and August and got progressively heavier. This last month, my clots are bigger and bigger and I usually wear the 10 hour overnight pads during the day. Although they last me about an hour. It's ruined my life, my clothes, my sheets"

LenRdh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Please don't get on this bc . I've been on it for 4 years. It's made my life hard work and now after I've been off of it since March. I'm now bleeding out of control at times. It's like its never going to end. I don't know what to do. I wish I would've done some research before getting this birth control. I'm embarrassed at times and becoming stressed out . What can I do to slower or maybe even stop this bleeding?"

Jessic August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "When I first got it I didn't bleed until the last month I started spotting but it was a very dark brown blood and so I told my doc so she gave me birth control to stop it. So the second shot which I'm on now made it stop for the first month but I barely just got off it and now I'm bleeding very heavy and cramping bad everyday."

Zxsn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had 2 doses of the shot. One in October 2016 and then Jan. 2017. I literally had a period from January til August! That's 8 whole months! I would not recommend this form of bc unless you don't mind bleeding. I had to start bc pills to regulate my period again."

Nina P. August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot to control my bleeding and cramps from fibroids, so I thought...however, this has been the worst decision ever. I have had heavy bleeding and tons of blood clots. I only took the shot once and won't be getting it again. Also, it has increased the acne of my face, I'm suffering with severe depression, and my sex drive is gone. Lastly, this keeps me from wanting to have sex anymore because it's embarrassing...who wants to have sex with a blood hound! I feel incredibly stupid because I normally do my research but I let the doctor talk me into it as she claimed it was the best option due to my challenge with high blood pressure. This was the worst decision ever and I won't be getting it again. I'm stuck riding it out!!"

LadyJ43 August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This has made my life a living hell I went to the gynacologist to see about me having my period for a month she suggested I get the shot and take pills and said it should be gone within 5-6 days. Well its been 3 weeks and its the most horrible feeling in the world to keep bleeding and I don't know why to have to wear pads everyday and change pants four times a day I just want to say forget it and get my uterus out I'm only 22 with no children"

Zhane (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Ok so I have been suffering for two years now. I'm 25. I had this so bad I was anemic with huge blood clots, finally doc gave me d&c a month later started up again it got so bad again w clots. He said depo shot and another d&c he gave me the depo shot last week. I'm not even kidding you it stopped immediately. I'm so happy I was really suffering and now don't even need the d&c. The only bad part is I want more kids like soon but my body needs a rest from this. I'm 100% for the depo shot it saved my life."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Had only one shot. I was spotting for 3 months everyday, experiencing cramps, dizziness, nausea and mood changes. I never took another shot, yet I am still spotting and I still have abdominal pain, irregular bleeding and my mood is changing rapidly. I would never recommended this product to anyone. Whats more, I think It should be taken off the market immediately."

Janaxx August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 41 years old and have four kids . I don't want to get pregnant again so I decided to have injectable contraceptive depostrust . First shot was Mar 24 my menstruation stopped for 2 weeks but after that I have spotting . Last week of May I have bleeding and its getting worse so I have my injection June 1 . Up until now I have been bleeding 4 months already . I'm afraid . Is this serious ? Pls help . I can't sleep . Any insight will help me . Thanks "

Xtin August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Y'all I had this shot ONE TIME last Aug and I'm still bleeding! I'm only 23 I want a baby my husband is a marine and we can't even do anything when he is down for time off because I have constantly bled since aug2016! "

Shelby. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Well I have been prescribed this medication before and I have had to go through blood clots and heavy cramps . But this time it's even heavier cramps and blood clots and using about 20 pads in 2 to 3 days. I feel so weak and it feels gross to even move or go anywhere in public. I'm also taking ibuprofen every 3 to 4 hours. What do y'all prefer on taking for the pain. Thank u everyone for your input. Have a great day."

Rerey1987 August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been on the shot going on four months I have bleed the whole time except for two weeks I just got my second shot it helped the bleeding slow down but still bleeding no wonder you can't get pregnant heck who wants to have a bloody show that's not to attractive. No sex=no baby!"

Erica Singer's August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While this drug worked immediately to lessen my heavy blood flow, it upset my stomach in conjunction with other meds I had already been taking. The vomiting caused me to become more anemic and need three units of blood. I was switched to high-dose combined oral contraceptives, which aren't side-effect free, but I can stomach."

Elle_TX July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I wish I could give this a ZERO star. They warned me that I could have some abnormal bleeding.. but, nobody warned me that I'd be bleeding enough to support the Red Cross. My blood count is low - which it never has been before. Not to mention the acne, the attitude, the sore breasts, and the emotional instability to go along with it. The REAL reason this works as a birth control is because nobody on this medication is doing anything even remotely related to sex (oh yeah, I forgot to mention - no sex drive). Even if you had a sex drive, it's a bloody war zone!! Nope! Hopefully someone, anyone really, will read this and think "nope, I'll go a different route", and I will have saved someone some MAJOR heartache and struggles."

BloodyHell (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I use provera once a day for ten days on the eighth day I started getting pain like if something was just scraping by uterus out. However I haven't seen a period in six months (believe me I was happy at the point in time). Now TBH the use of provera in my case was to help with the shedding of the uterus which as not happen for six months so guys just saying pain is expected also heavy bleeding. However after 7 days of bleeding they but me on oral contraceptive and the bleeding stop two days after. However prior to this I also use povera before; I was having break through bleeding for nearly one year tbh it wasn't nice but because of being at school and time going in the hospital was just at the bottom of my list I look povera for 10days also."

Piki (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've recently gotten back on the depo probably at the beginning of June and I've been bleeding for almost 2 months they put me on birth control pills but that's still not helping. I need something to stop this bleeding it's getting out of control"

Niecy123 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I wish I could give this a zero. I had my son August of 2016 and my periods were so heavy I was diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding, and I was told to get on a birth control to control my bleeding. I chose the depo and received my first shot February of 2017, and my bleeding stopped for a bit but returned in March. I was spotting then it went on to light bleeding. I received my second shot in May. I started bleeding more. I became anemic (unknowingly at the time). In May I passed out due to low iron and broke my nose! It has lowered my immune system, I found out also in May that I have mono. In June I got strep throat. My iron dropped to 8.6 almost needing a blood transfusion. I've been bleeding every single day since March!"

kjuune (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started blood thinners for DVT, two days late started period was bleeding so bad was in the restroom every 10-20 mins..7 days later was in the hospital was slightly anemic less than 48 hrs later ended up back in the hospital blood count was 6.1 had to have 4 units of blood over two days they gave me a depo shot to stop the bleeding it took almost 72 hours to work now a little over a week out of the hospital I have started bleeding again...idk what to think about the depo all I know is it isn't working for what I need it to be."

Sammie1979 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got a novasure ablation 5 years ago because of the heavy bleeding and having to change pads and tampons every hour. The gush feeling after changing while conducting a 15 min. meeting was unbearable. The ablation was the best thing ever until... i started bleeding again. My Dr. put me on Provera 2x daily for 7 days following 1x daily for 7 days. One day passed after completing the prescription and the heavy bleeding with huge clots worse than prior to the ablation, along with severe cramping, similar to contractions is making me regret ever taking this drug. Im on day 3 of heavy bleeding, severe cramping, terrible bloating that I have never experienced before. I'm feeling discouraged reading that some women bled heavy for more than 2 wks"

45momto4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 30 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It will be 66 days till I got my next period and would last for over a month. So, my doctor prescribed medroxyprogesterone 30 pills to STOP the bleed! Took 3 pills a day till bleeding subsides and then 1 pill a day till finished! The bleeding stopped after 3 days, ok GREAT! Uh NoT after 4 days the bleeding returned worse then ever! I was passing quarter size blood clots every day! I was literally gushing out blood like a faucet! Since the bleeding returned it's been 15 days and still bleeding and I finished the dosage! These pills are awful! So disappointed! :("

Robiibaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I just had my first shot 2 months ago. I have not been my self, constant headaches, serious contraction pains, loss in Sex drive. I have been bleeding for almost a month. I feel sick all the time, no energy and I am experiencing hyper pigmentation on my face. I have become so dark, also I can't sleep well and loss of appetite. I can't wait for it to wear off. I am not getting it again. I hope I return to my normal self after it wears off"

Ceby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I received a second shot of Depo April 2017. I'm writing this post late June 2017. I have been bleeding for 11 weeks!!! I will not be getting it again"

Jennarenaes June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Got this shot as a recommendation from my dr to stop the bleeding I had when my IUD didn't stick. It stopped the bleeding for a month then came back slow bleeding for half a month then full on heavy bleeding with large blood clots for now 2 months. I was soaking though a purple 10 hour pad in and hour sometimes 30 minutes. I lost so much blood I was admitted to the hospital and received 4 blood transfusions. When released from the hospital they said nothing on how to stop the bleeding or if it would stop. I've been out of the hospital a week and I'm still losing so much blood. I can't even go to work because whether I'm sitting or standing I go though two 10 hour pads and an adult diaper in an hour."

CassyDF (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017