User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 103 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had what I thought was going to be a normal period, (my periods have always been heavy), until it just never stopped. It got so bad I had palm size clots and bleeding so bad I had to use cut up towels with three pads. I made a trip to the ER, all blood work was normal. I already was taking 135mg of iron and vitamin c, so I wasn't anemic even though I was bleeding so bad. They sent me home with a prescription of Provera 10mg once a day. It slowed the bleeding down but never stopped it completely. Was referred to an endocrinologist, I'm due to have a ultrasound to check for fibroids, but have to have a endometrial biopsy. I was still on provera way past the 10 days it caused shortness of breath and bad weight gain. I had to stop it."

lfields339 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr prescribed this to "flush" because for the past year I have had periods every 2 weeks - some are evil (cramps, flow - almost a box of tampons in one day) others are ehh (spotting, pantie liner worthy but for 5 days) - they did find small cyst on ovary but said no concern and that isn't why evil periods - I'm 43 - have had my blood checked for everything under the sun - all clear, not postmenopausal. So, dr said take this only the days on period - well, I started last Monday (exactly one week now) - this has been the worse period week of my entire life. Not to be nasty, but on here to share - unbelievable clots, never seen clots like this ever. Super tampons can't stop this madness. I'm not taking this anymore. Starting to get scared."

tytulip November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was placed on the depo shot beginning of October (10/3/17) due to uterine fibroid complications: swelling, excessive bleeding, and severe pain. My period started two days after the injection, as scheduled. The OB told me to expect some blessing for the first month, since l took it so close to my start date. Fair, I thought. However, I have been spotting/bleeding nonstop since that day. Today literally marks 30 days of bleeding. I have also since seen a significant increase in acne, as I typically have clear skin; I am fatigued more than usual. My anxiety has worsened. I will not be getting a second shot."

Mighty5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "November 2013 I had surgery to remove a 10-pound fibroid tumor, ever since then I have had irregular periods. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years with no luck. I have multiple ovarian cysts that are causing sharp shooting pain. I was just put on Provera 10mg for 6 days during day 16-21 last month. After the first day of taking it, I have been bleeding heavily; I have used a whole box of pads in less than 7 days of bleeding. I am used to having 1-3 day period, so this sucks major."

carrie84 November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Been on this medication for nearly week now. I am bleeding terribly, really bad cramping. I am 42 now and I have had in reg periods for 3yrs but now it's nightmare. It just feels like you are only person going through this it drags you down. Lady's any idea how long this pills take kick in to bring the bleeding to an end?"

deenjac (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been bleeding for 50 days and counting because of the shot. It's helped a lot with my period cramps but the non-stop bleeding probably isn't worth it."

Hdhddklc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started the depo shot back in April of 2015 because my MD recommended I should, since he noticed my periods where the leading cause of my sickle cell crisis that would lead me in hospital stays for weeks ever since I had my son. My periods are gone and so is most of my sickle cell crisis, I've lost weight and a partial part of my sex drive. I'm ok with both, staying fit and managing my weight is a plus for me besides the fact that I'm no longer living at a hospital which is what I used to call my home away from home. My sex drive being affected, I'm ok living with that too, as my health comes first for both my child and myself."

Rochi (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "54 yr, peri-menopause experiencing bleeding for 6 weeks. Was given 10 days 10mg provera. Never stopped bleeding, now it's Day 10. Now bloated, gained weight, ovaries have twinges of pain, menstrual cramps.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I am 24 and I went on provera on the 25 of last month because I'm was bleeding since the 05 of September and soaking though my pads every two to three hours. For me provera slowed down my period and stopped it for three days and now I'm just bleeding all over again still bleeding though pad in about one to one and half hour now and it hurts worse, I have cramping, bloating, nausea and clots are much bigger about the size of a golf ball and have been clotting ever since I started bleeding again. I had blood work done it came out normal. Next is an ultrasound and after that is a pelvic exam. I need help not more issues...I started bleeding on the 2 of October not even a day after my last pill and I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded"

Diana's October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Took first shot first of May 17. Had no period until sometime in June. And it was easy to handle. Was put on to help lighten or even stop them. Then July 23 I started spotting. And have yet to stop. Would have rather dealt with my 3/4 days of heavy bleeding then this. You will start to hurt and smell down there as you are basically bleeding to death. Even keeping baby wipes around will make you raw. Weeks of wearing a tampon all day and pads at night for a break and you will be sore. Do not take this type of birth control. Only a handful of people do ok on it."

Kerry 76 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the Depo shot because I had really bad anxiety. My OB read my chart from my reg doctor, and told me that I should be on some type of BC. I said okay. She recommended the SHOT. Such a bad choice now. I took the shot back in May 2017. I didn't have my period for the rest of that month. Then June 2nd came, I had a normal period. But after I THOUGHT is was done, I had spotting. Up until I started my period again. Then spotting up until my next period. We are now in Sept , I'm bleeding with BIG clots. Please do your research! It made me fell worse. My depression was worse and prolonged periods. I can't stand it. Loosing so much blood makes you feel weaker and tired. DON'T NOT GET THE DEPO SHOT."

Maria0221 September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Ok, I went on this 10 mg 2x a day for about 4 weeks now. I needed to start because I hemorrhaged so bad in a single day my Hemoglobin dropped from 12 - 9, and then to 8 as I continued to hemorrhage, for 2 weeks after. As a result of hemorrhaging, I could not breath, my heart was racing from dehydration, and my body used all of my iron and ferritin, and then started destroying bone marrow to try and make hemoglobin. I started provera when my hematologist started ferritin infusions, and was afraid ANY bleeding would kill me. This medication causes me shortness of breath, racing heart, rashes, lethargy, vomiting, muscle pain; oh an I have been spotting since I started it! I feel worse then when I was literally dying before taking it."

feritless (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had my 1 & only shot in March 2017 and immediately felt bloated and sick so I decided not to get another one. I had my first period in May 2017 and have bled on and off every few days since. I have currently been bleeding for 17 days straight and I haven't had longer than a 5 day break in between bleeds the entire time. I'm bloated, hormonal and very tired. I hate not knowing my body or its cycle and am at a loss of what to do. I do not recommend this shot to anyone!"

Bec868686ooo September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started on the shot in May of 2017. The whole point was to control my bleeding from my fibroids. As June rolled around, I got my period, which progressed into July and August and got progressively heavier. This last month, my clots are bigger and bigger and I usually wear the 10 hour overnight pads during the day. Although they last me about an hour. It's ruined my life, my clothes, my sheets"

LenRdh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Please don't get on this bc . I've been on it for 4 years. It's made my life hard work and now after I've been off of it since March. I'm now bleeding out of control at times. It's like its never going to end. I don't know what to do. I wish I would've done some research before getting this birth control. I'm embarrassed at times and becoming stressed out . What can I do to slower or maybe even stop this bleeding?"

Jessic August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "When I first got it I didn't bleed until the last month I started spotting but it was a very dark brown blood and so I told my doc so she gave me birth control to stop it. So the second shot which I'm on now made it stop for the first month but I barely just got off it and now I'm bleeding very heavy and cramping bad everyday."

Zxsn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had 2 doses of the shot. One in October 2016 and then Jan. 2017. I literally had a period from January til August! That's 8 whole months! I would not recommend this form of bc unless you don't mind bleeding. I had to start bc pills to regulate my period again."

Nina P. August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot to control my bleeding and cramps from fibroids, so I thought...however, this has been the worst decision ever. I have had heavy bleeding and tons of blood clots. I only took the shot once and won't be getting it again. Also, it has increased the acne of my face, I'm suffering with severe depression, and my sex drive is gone. Lastly, this keeps me from wanting to have sex anymore because it's embarrassing...who wants to have sex with a blood hound! I feel incredibly stupid because I normally do my research but I let the doctor talk me into it as she claimed it was the best option due to my challenge with high blood pressure. This was the worst decision ever and I won't be getting it again. I'm stuck riding it out!!"

LadyJ43 August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This has made my life a living hell I went to the gynacologist to see about me having my period for a month she suggested I get the shot and take pills and said it should be gone within 5-6 days. Well its been 3 weeks and its the most horrible feeling in the world to keep bleeding and I don't know why to have to wear pads everyday and change pants four times a day I just want to say forget it and get my uterus out I'm only 22 with no children"

Zhane (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Ok so I have been suffering for two years now. I'm 25. I had this so bad I was anemic with huge blood clots, finally doc gave me d&c a month later started up again it got so bad again w clots. He said depo shot and another d&c he gave me the depo shot last week. I'm not even kidding you it stopped immediately. I'm so happy I was really suffering and now don't even need the d&c. The only bad part is I want more kids like soon but my body needs a rest from this. I'm 100% for the depo shot it saved my life."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Had only one shot. I was spotting for 3 months everyday, experiencing cramps, dizziness, nausea and mood changes. I never took another shot, yet I am still spotting and I still have abdominal pain, irregular bleeding and my mood is changing rapidly. I would never recommended this product to anyone. Whats more, I think It should be taken off the market immediately."

Janaxx August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 41 years old and have four kids . I don't want to get pregnant again so I decided to have injectable contraceptive depostrust . First shot was Mar 24 my menstruation stopped for 2 weeks but after that I have spotting . Last week of May I have bleeding and its getting worse so I have my injection June 1 . Up until now I have been bleeding 4 months already . I'm afraid . Is this serious ? Pls help . I can't sleep . Any insight will help me . Thanks "

Xtin August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Y'all I had this shot ONE TIME last Aug and I'm still bleeding! I'm only 23 I want a baby my husband is a marine and we can't even do anything when he is down for time off because I have constantly bled since aug2016! "

Shelby. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Well I have been prescribed this medication before and I have had to go through blood clots and heavy cramps . But this time it's even heavier cramps and blood clots and using about 20 pads in 2 to 3 days. I feel so weak and it feels gross to even move or go anywhere in public. I'm also taking ibuprofen every 3 to 4 hours. What do y'all prefer on taking for the pain. Thank u everyone for your input. Have a great day."

Rerey1987 August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been on the shot going on four months I have bleed the whole time except for two weeks I just got my second shot it helped the bleeding slow down but still bleeding no wonder you can't get pregnant heck who wants to have a bloody show that's not to attractive. No sex=no baby!"

Erica Singer's August 2, 2017