User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 153 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've recently gotten back on the depo probably at the beginning of June and I've been bleeding for almost 2 months they put me on birth control pills but that's still not helping. I need something to stop this bleeding it's getting out of control"

Niecy123 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started blood thinners for DVT, two days late started period was bleeding so bad was in the restroom every 10-20 mins..7 days later was in the hospital was slightly anemic less than 48 hrs later ended up back in the hospital blood count was 6.1 had to have 4 units of blood over two days they gave me a depo shot to stop the bleeding it took almost 72 hours to work now a little over a week out of the hospital I have started bleeding again...idk what to think about the depo all I know is it isn't working for what I need it to be."

Sammie1979 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got a novasure ablation 5 years ago because of the heavy bleeding and having to change pads and tampons every hour. The gush feeling after changing while conducting a 15 min. meeting was unbearable. The ablation was the best thing ever until... i started bleeding again. My Dr. put me on Provera 2x daily for 7 days following 1x daily for 7 days. One day passed after completing the prescription and the heavy bleeding with huge clots worse than prior to the ablation, along with severe cramping, similar to contractions is making me regret ever taking this drug. Im on day 3 of heavy bleeding, severe cramping, terrible bloating that I have never experienced before. I'm feeling discouraged reading that some women bled heavy for more than 2 wks"

45momto4 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 30 years old and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It will be 66 days till I got my next period and would last for over a month. So, my doctor prescribed medroxyprogesterone 30 pills to STOP the bleed! Took 3 pills a day till bleeding subsides and then 1 pill a day till finished! The bleeding stopped after 3 days, ok GREAT! Uh NoT after 4 days the bleeding returned worse then ever! I was passing quarter size blood clots every day! I was literally gushing out blood like a faucet! Since the bleeding returned it's been 15 days and still bleeding and I finished the dosage! These pills are awful! So disappointed! :("

Robiibaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I just had my first shot 2 months ago. I have not been my self, constant headaches, serious contraction pains, loss in Sex drive. I have been bleeding for almost a month. I feel sick all the time, no energy and I am experiencing hyper pigmentation on my face. I have become so dark, also I can't sleep well and loss of appetite. I can't wait for it to wear off. I am not getting it again. I hope I return to my normal self after it wears off"

Ceby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I received a second shot of Depo April 2017. I'm writing this post late June 2017. I have been bleeding for 11 weeks!!! I will not be getting it again"

Jennarenaes June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Got this shot as a recommendation from my dr to stop the bleeding I had when my IUD didn't stick. It stopped the bleeding for a month then came back slow bleeding for half a month then full on heavy bleeding with large blood clots for now 2 months. I was soaking though a purple 10 hour pad in and hour sometimes 30 minutes. I lost so much blood I was admitted to the hospital and received 4 blood transfusions. When released from the hospital they said nothing on how to stop the bleeding or if it would stop. I've been out of the hospital a week and I'm still losing so much blood. I can't even go to work because whether I'm sitting or standing I go though two 10 hour pads and an adult diaper in an hour."

CassyDF (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was bleeding for 10 days and it got crazy heavy. I went to the doctor and she prescribed 30mg/ day for 7 days and then taper down to 20 for 7 day, then 10 for 7 days. This seems really crazy! Has anyone ever heard of this dose being prescribed?"

Courtcolor (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Worst decision ever! Everyone I had talked to had good experiences. So I decided to go ahead and get it, despite my gut feeling and all of the horror stories I had heard. I have been bleeding for almost three months now and it is heavy. I have no energy, no sex drive and constant stomach and head pains. I spend a ridiculous amount on pads and tampons, have destroyed all of my underwear and to top it all off, can't afford health care, despite working 40+ hour weeks. PLEASE DON'T GET."

Jena Sophia (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the depo provera and I'm bleeding and won't stop. I've been feeling like I'm going to pass out. I got it in April this is June I'm still bleeding. What has this shot done to my body."

Keesha c42 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My experience with this medication started when I was 14 yrs old. I knew nothing about this medication and I wish someone would have sat down and told me what exactly this medication does! I decided for the 3rd time to try to get off this medication, I finally decided this time it was enough, so my last shot was Oct 2016. THE BEGINNING was great I was happy go lucky outgoing had my life back after having a beast reduction. No period no cramps gained a few pounds but it was worth it at the time for freedom. NOW at 23 I've been in the hospital and given 3 pills at once. I've soaked threw over 10 pads a day and blood clots after blood clots depression weight gain acne severe cramps dizziness tiredness and withdrawals from this medication."

HOPING 2 CHANGE SOMEONE1S LIFE (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've had awful cramps and I've had a period for 2 months straight. It's caused me to have period clots (which I had never had before so it scared the crap out of me) I've just felt miserable with this form of birth control!"

Kas<jkd (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had the new ablation treatment for heavy periods and was recommended the injection. I'm on my 2nd shot and I won't be repeating it. I'm usually such a positive outgoing person and I've changed so much in 15 weeks I never knew what anxiety felt like or what it was like to feel so down, I'm so happy to read its not just me. I have severe cramping , constant infections I'm sick all the time I would have recovered by now if I had gone for a hysterectomy. I experienced very down days I hate answering the phone. My sister said I've turned into a monster my friends say my personality has changed I. I 100% would not recommend this."

Privacy 201719 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Do not take this depo provera shot. I have not stop bleeding and I took one shot gained 4 pounds because of the shot so I have stopped taking it and now I'm bleeding and it won't stop. It's been going on for months now. I never had problems with my period until after I had the depo provera. Don't take the shot you will not maybe ever to have kids again. Bleeding doesn't stop. This shot should be discontinued and off the market."

Kristy 1985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Oh thank you all so much. I've done the same thing and have had continual bleeding which would normally accompany my period now for close to 8 weeks after receiving my first ever injection? I'm 46 and was regular up until January. Really scary and I think it must be the dosage within the injection if you're not used to it (ie not had contraception much during my life)? Our bodies are a temple - I just wish that the people who are prescribing solutions to our issues were more educated (and interested?) wishing you all the best :)"

Sammmmmmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Omg! DO NOT GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. I got my first shot like 3 weeks ago and lost all sex drive and have been bleeding constantly. My partner and I use to sleep together every time we were together and now I can't because of this blood. My hair is falling out too, my face is breaking out, I feel cranky and have no energy, I have no sex drive and the bleeding. This man made drug is clearly no good for us women and should be taken off the shelf!!!"

Beeeeccc May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been bleeding nonstop since I got on this medication not to mention my hair is falling out! I can't even run my fingers through my hair without me losing a handful of hair I always said I wouldn't get the shot but I have in and I regret it so much!"

Xoxokld (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The Depo just doesn't work for me. It was great at first, it lightened my periods but 7 months in and my period started lasting up to 2+ weeks. Back in March 2017, I asked to get my shot early (I was due in April) in hopes to stop the bleeding and it did. A month later my period came back and I took these low dosage birth control pills my doctor gave me which stopped the bleeding up until I finished the pack this month, and I started bleeding again. This time, however, I'm bleeding A LOT. My cycle's super heavy, and my normal period's before depo were never like that. This depo is messing up my body and it's made me gained weight like crazy. I'm switching to the implant in my arm method tomorrow, and I really hope that works better for me"

Paperpetals May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was told that the depo is suppose to stop your period and any other problems you have when you're on it. As far as for me I got my first shot March 2017 and it's now May 2017. And since March 30th until now, I've been on my period non stop. I must say my sex drive did increase but hell I couldn't do anything. I wouldn't recommend this form of birth control to anyone because of my experience. I've lost a lot of blood to were I'm anaemic. I've also gained some weight and I'm starting to get bumps on my face. On top of that I found out I'm allergic to the medicine. This was by far the worse. I should of just stuck with the bc pill. Please for those looking for a easy way out of a period DO YOUR RESEARCH!!"

P-long beach08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was heavily bleeding for 2 months at the time; (as an fyi: I had no pain, cramps, thyroid, or cyst issues.) and was prescribed to take this for 7 days. I didn't have any side effects, and it didn't STOP the bleeding. However it did lighten the bleeding but a lot. I could wear a regular to light pad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "When I got this all the clinic told me was "We have the Depo shot, it's a shot you get every 3 to 4 months. You wont have a period and it is 99%effective." Of course that sounded appealing. But this was one of my worst decisions. Its not like the pill where if you feel side affects you can just stop taking it. I took this shot in Feb 2017 it is now May 2017. It is about time for my next shot but there is NO way I am getting it. I have bled every single day since Feb. Not a lot but enough to where I have to wear a pad everyday. I've never had acne issues but now it is constant, my sex drive has almost completely gone away and your period wont go back to normal for up to 12 months after the last shot..I would not recommend this to anyone."

LX3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this to stop abnormal bleeding. Was only supposed to take it for 7 days, then go back to the doctor. Literally on day 2 I quit and couldn't do it anymore. I spent 2 hours having a panic attack and crying in my bed in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever. Made me so sad, so miserable and depressed. I thought the mood swings would kill me. This was from TWO PILLS. I would rather die than live my life so unhappy. I'm not exaggerating. The mood swings were not something I can handle. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy."

Side Effects Were Horrifying (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Depo-Provera was the worst decision of my life!! I got my first shot in December (2016) and after the shot, I began to bleed heavy constantly. I went for my second shot in March (2017) and I still was bleeding. Here it is May and I'm still bleeding not as heavy as I was in January! But I've been bleeding every since DECEMBER 2016. It's so frustrating and depressing!! If anyone has found anything to stop abnormal bleeding due to Depo-Provera please help me and point me in the right direction. Please & Thanks!"

Karlee C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been on depo for about 7 years and am now just switching over to Kyleena (IUD). This was the best birth control for what I needed at the time. At the start I had severe cramps and highly abnormal bleeding. This was the ultimate lifesaver! After about 6 months of abnormal bleeding (this is very common when first starting depo), I stopped having a period all together. I would have given this a 10 if not for the more recent side effects I started experiencing. In the last year or so, I started experiencing a steady state of feeling down/low, easily agitated/quick to anger, and low libido. After some research I found other testimonials of people experiencing the same mood changes after being on depo for 5+ years. Only reason I'm switching."

Depo User for 7 years (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started my period in March. It's been mostly light bleeding but on Friday it got pretty heavy. By Tuesday I was in the ER because I was just passing softball sized ball every single time I stood up. I went to see my obgyn today and he prescribed me with provera. Prior to taking it, I was still passing huge clots and just overall felt miserable. I've barely had an appetite and just felt so tired. Within two hours of taking this pill, I could feel the difference. I had more energy, I don't feel stabbing pain in my lower back from cramps, and I don't feel like a waterfall is going to come pouring out of me when I stand up. I know this is only the first day and I still have 13 days to go on this pill, but so far it's been amazing."

Jlynnxoxo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017