User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Also known as: Depo-Provera, Provera, depo-subQ provera 104

Medroxyprogesterone has an average rating of 3.1 out of 10 from a total of 845 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 15% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 69% reported a negative effect.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.1/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

AB · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on Depo for 10 years without missing a injection. I had no side effects and LOVED not having a period. Something in the drug has obviously been altered because I'm having a period now, and nothing else in my routine has changed. This began around February/March of this year (2020). I've still continued to get the injection, but am questioning what exactly has happened to the drug and why patients have not been informed about any changes to the drug.”

Taza · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I’ve started the depo provera injection fairly recently 24 May 2021. I was on my period which I normally have for seven days but with this injection my period went from normal flow to a dark brown, slow flow which couldn’t fill a pad. To changing halfway in June to a medium heavy flow. I called the doctors in the early stages because when I read the symptoms it said spotting but not heavy flow period. When I spoke to her it was like speaking to someone who doesn’t want to hear you. Not helpful at all. It’s now July I’ve been bleeding for a total of 42 days and counting. Will I get the 2nd injection in August? Nope. Would I recommend it? Nope. It really mucks up your emotions It has made me cry over stupid things. I had this injection so I could have sex without fear of pregnancy have I been able to have sex no. My advice once again it’s not the one to get”

GG February 15, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on Depo Provera for 22 years. After my very first injection 22 years ago, I have had zero periods and zero breakthrough bleeding. Zero side effects. Nothing. This has been a blessing. I had my last Depo Shot on 1/12/21. My next one is not due until 3/30/21. Today I wake up and have bleeding. While I realize that this can be due to other causes, I was just reading that there are others experiencing this. Perhaps there is something wrong with a batch of the medication? Will see what happens from here and keep an eye on it.”

Christina d. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I can't believe all the reviews I'm reading about the shot making you bleed for weeks or even months because now its happening to me. I got the shot for the first time in late April and I started to bleed about 2 and a half weeks ago. And I'm still bleeding. This really sucks. Being on a period everyday is not what I signed up for. I will NOT be getting it again and I just want my period to go back to normal. Would NOT recommend getting this to anyone!”

Ms.Queen · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I feel better knowing I'm not going through this horrible experience of Depo-provera alone. I loved the depo just because I didn't have periods over 5 years using this shot. And now to bleed every day longer than 10 days is very depressing. I would like to know what I can do to make this bleeding stop. This can't be healthy”

GG January 4, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've been on Depo-Provera for over a decade with no side effects, no periods or breakthrough bleeding. I have never missed an injection, however 3 weeks before my next injection I'm bleeding. This is an unwelcome, painful surprise because I've been without a period for as long as I've been on this birth control which has been almost 14 years. Something has changed with the medication”

Linkinslide · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2021

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've been taking the provera 10mg once a day since March 20, 2021 because I have irregular bleeding and 2 fibroids. My period has not stopped or slowed down at all. Last month it was just seven days, but this month, it's been on for two weeks. It seems like it wants to stop but then I'll have spotting before full on bleeding and it seems to happen after I take the pill. I was told this medication would stop my period and correct the irregular bleeding but it has done nothing of the sort. I feel, if anything, it's causing me to continuously bleed.”

Amanda · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got on the shot in early Nov 2019, it's now Feb 27th and I have been on a period since. Not a light period but a heavy "blood clot" type one. I'll never get this shot again, and I will not recommend it to anyone.”

Harley21 July 13, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been taking the Depo-Provera for over 20 years, never had a period until a little over a year ago and now it comes and go's whenever it feels like, I never know when to expect it, i just thought this was normal due to the fact I had been on it so long, but then I went for my last injection a few days ago and I brought this up with my doctor and he told me this was not normal and is quite concerned and is now sending me to have a bunch of tests and freaking me out wondering what could be wrong and now I am reading all these reviews and thinking myself they have changed the product as everyone seems to be having similar issues, time to change to something different I think!”

Bananamom · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I took Depo-Provera injection many years ago. I never had a period or spotting from the first shot. I was on it for 6 years no issues other than weight gain. I got the shot again on September 10, 2020. I started bleeding 10 days ago. The cramps are extreme to the point I don't want to get out of bed. Which is not possible, I have 3 children age 8, 2, and 1 and a stay at home mom. Over the counter medication does not help with pain. There are too many of us experiencing the same things and a lot of us have already taken depo before with no issues.”

OverTired · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I've been currently taking Provera 10mg for about 28 days now. At first it stopped the bleeding all together for the first week. Then I started to spot again and bleed. Now the bleeding is getting progressively heavier and the clots are getting larger, like they are huge. This is a nightmare. I'm having to empty my 25ml menstrual cup every hour or two. Hoping to get ahold of my OB by Monday. I'm feeling very weak and I have lots of cramping.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 28, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on this med several times , I am 48 years old going through menopause and have had abnormal bleeding off and on for 2 years. From what I understand 10 days on this med is not going to make you stop bleeding. What it does is "clean" you out first before it thins the lining enough to stop the bleeding. When I take it I bleed worse for a couple weeks, clots come out and then it stops and stays stopped so all the ladies taking it for 10 days give it more time please. The cramps are bad during the "cleaning" phase also but trust me it will get better.”

Tamara · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2021

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I am 48 years old and childless and started bleeding on January 2nd until February 12th. I went to the gynecologist and she prescribed 10mg provera for 21 days and my cycle regulated. Low and behoĺd I got pregnant with my first baby at the start of April. Its amazing! I have just begun a new journey and I look forward to every single step.”

emma · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 13, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “So I've been on this Depo-Provera shot since I was 16. I’m 18 now. I haven’t bleed on my period for 2 years. This past week I started to spot. Now I'm getting really heavy bleeding that’s bright red. It’s just a little odd that I’ve been on it for 2 years and haven’t bled at all and now all of the sudden I am. I am not sure if this is normal or not.”

Cry Baby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Well I now know why this is a method of birth control....CUZ u won’t stop bleeding enough to be able to have sex!!!! Day 32 bleeding and counting.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “Worst contraceptive ever. I had my first depo shot on the 9th of Jan. Approximately two weeks after I started spotting and then bleeding heavily. I am so mad that my doctor never indicated or told me about any of these side effects. I will not be going back for a second injection. Now, I feel like I am on a permanent menstrual cycle. If any of you ladies are really wanting to do something about this horrible drug, report it to the FDA. And also to Pfizer on their website. I believe this drug needs to be removed from the market. I don't think any woman wants to keep bleeding for months on end at a time.”

Keke · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I been on depo-provera for 20 years and was very happy but then when I love to out of state last year I start bleeding. I been bleeding for over 2 years now and I am so depress over this annoyance and my hubby is to. I really want sex but with the blood clots and non-stop bleeding I feel like I'm going crazy. I have tired everything the doctor has giving me bit it just won't stop and I'm sick of it. I'm mad and wish this bleeding just go away so I can try and be happy and work on my depression. Somebody please help me to stop this bleeding 2 years is too much.”

JNK · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I was on depo from 2008-2011 with zero side effects. My periods were gone completely after the first shot and I had no weight gain and minimal mood swings. Fast forward to July 2020, all finished having children I got the shot again. I’ve now been bleeding heavily everyday for three weeks straight. Looking at this review forum makes me think the manufacturer made a change in early 2019 that quite obviously is not working with the majority of women’s menstruation. Who wants to bleed every day for a year?! NO ONE. I WILL NEVER GET THIS SHOT EVER AGAIN. NEVER.”

Summer2012 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I got the Depo-Provera in January - the only one I had. My heavy bleeding started the very next day and now 5 and a half months down the line I am still bleeding a heavy period everyday!! Doctors can not work out why or what is going on !!”

Rachel · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I feel like everyone who left reviews here only left negative ones. But for me the provera pill helped me so much. I kept bleeding after my miscarriage at 8 weeks, for about 8 weeks - the bleeding was severe towards the end and I've had enough. My doctor gave me a 14 day supply of provera and I stopped bleeding after 1 pill. My cycle has been reset now, so this worked for me very well.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2021

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I have been on depo for TWENTY years and today have a full blown period. I mean, horrible cramping and all. I have never once had breakthrough bleeding or even a drop in 20 years. I received my injection on Jan 4th.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2021

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I had heavy than usual periods, passing multiple clots. It finally sent me to the hospital to where I had to have a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin levels were at 4.7 and the should have been at 15. My GP said I should really see my OB/GYN. I took an ultrasound found out that I have multiple fibroids is the reason I was bleeding heavy. She gave me Provera to slow the bleeding. I take 10mg 2X a day only when my periods start . It has slowed to a crawl. This is a miracle, it’s working for me so far. I hope it continues to work.”

Vick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I’ve took depo awhile back when I was around 17/18 , I’ve never experienced bleeding like this I recently got the Depo-Provera injection again because I have really horrible periods and extreme cramps, so I decided that I would go back on depo it was the worst thing I ever did. I experienced light spotting when I receive my first injection but I went in for my second around July 2020 and I’m still bleeding non stop and it’s getting very overwhelming because I can’t have sex with my boyfriend or if I do I have to take a shower first it’s really annoying I don’t recommend it to anyone you’ll be depressed for months”

Tabbi · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2020

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I was 47 and one day my normal period wouldn’t stop for 3 months then got really heavy after two doctors ultrasounds bloodwork my doctor put me on Provera 10mg once a day everyday. After a month I stopped bleeding all together. I did this for 6 months and had no problems then I stopped taking them and expected problems but went 8 months no period thought finally menopause had arrived. I’m 49 almost 50 now and guess what showed up today. I’m calling today to get another prescription. Only issue I had was really bad headaches.”

Hater of Depo · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): “I thought I would get Depo after a pregnancy scare my first jab was given at the beginning of August 2019, I bled from the next day onwards right up to when the next one was due so I decided not to have it, and it’s now mid-feb and I am still bleeding, I have had the occasional day where I think it’s over and it comes right back. In total over 6 months I have had 5 days of non-bleeding! It is almost like a form of torture, I thought it would be out my system by now!! DO NOT HAVE THIS, IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST REGRET OF YOUR LIFE!!”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding